Speaker 1: All right, ready for the theme. Ready, I'm not hearing it?
Speaker 2: Is it playing?
Speaker 1: It was playing, but we're not hearing it either.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't need to hear the theme. I've heard.
Speaker 1: I don't need to either, as long as I might like it, I really trust it's that it's happening and he's leaving, and I don't blame him.
Speaker 2: Okay, my fireplace, No, that's fine. And just in terms of the theme case here, are we going to try again or are we just going to kind of say, like forget the theme this week? Who needs it?
Speaker 1: We had it for a second. I don't that and now we lost it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we done it. So this is I think, Chuck, just so you know, episode like six hundred and thirty five or something, And so what we're finding is they don't have the audio for the theme song, which is totally normal, totally fine.
Speaker 1: This yeah podcast, like how many you we doo? Oh no, sorry, that's six hundred just of our main show. Yeah, this show. We also do a bonus show every week and the show about basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah we do so wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we're back with Chuck Klosterman. The book is footballs.
Speaker 2: The book is football and I can I actually launch in just with a Can I get the gripe of the week off my chest? As long as we're talking about football? Is that okay with everybody?
Speaker 1: It's okay with me, okay with you, Chuck crazy Chuck.
Speaker 2: For me, it's the hypocrisy. For me, it's the hypocrisy that's what's making me insane right now in this day and age in the world. I'm raising my children in for any journalist, nay, any human being to behave as if they have not gone on a romantic vacation with Mike Rabel m hm. Like it's disgusting, and it's like we all want to any embattled figure, you know, we all want to pile on, right, it's not me, anyone but me, and we're gonna just kick them while they're down. And it's you know, for me to have to look my son Rabel in the eye and try to explain to him that this kind of thing goes on and that people are just willing to pretend like we look, we all love football, right, We're all in the same place. We go to these stadiums, We're in the same hotel. You think nobody else got in the hot time.
Speaker 1: And Chuck, I noticed in the book you did not talk about the extramarital activities of coach Rabel. Is that because you were yourself conflicted out having like, let's just say it, every single person in this room.
Speaker 2: Every single person here participated. Yourself just jumped down into the tub.
Speaker 3: Did something happen with Mike Rabel? Is this about the combine?
Speaker 2: Oh? Chuck, Oh sweetie, You've been on such a such a worldwood But you know, I haven't seen I.
Speaker 3: I kind of you know, I try to. I don't want to know gabble too much in the news, So I just you know, I I.
Speaker 2: The book is about old stuff largely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so so like, uh so something went went on with Mike Rabel. I mean, you know, he's I thought he was a really durrated guy with the Titans, seem having real success with the Patriots. Uh, you know, loved by the media generally.
Speaker 2: So what the media?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so is something what's happening? What's what's happening now?
Speaker 2: So I don't want to be the one to bring this news.
Speaker 1: Hey, apparently kissing is illegal. Now now that's now you go to jail. Apparently in mister Trump's America. You are not allowed to smooch, to.
Speaker 2: Have affection, to show love, to express physically any kind of tenderness.
Speaker 1: In this fascist state. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So that's involved with what like Drake May, I'm guessing, what's he?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: I hope So, I hope Drake's been as busy as you are. I hope he hasn't seen any of this.
Speaker 1: Or I hope if he has, he's been inspired by the idea that you can actually show love too, for example, multiple receivers, as he did this season, distributing the ball equally among among his entire core, and not just having one person that you could shoot it.
Speaker 2: To that for the entire season going okay, well, I guess you know, Stephen Diggs has the sacred ring, you know, and then I can only throw to this one man because he's you know, he's been here the longest or something, when there's other people who deserve to have a shot to them.
Speaker 1: And we're back Chuck Closterman, The book is the book is football. So what made you want to do about a football?
Speaker 2: What made you say football?
Speaker 3: What made me say football? And white like that, you're pluralizing it as well, because Obviously the game involves multiple balls.
Speaker 1: It would be ridiculous to just talk about one.
Speaker 2: It only be one the whole time. Think about how filthy it would be.
Speaker 1: Well, I you know, I but I play this out. Yeah. Is it kind of unfair? And this is I mean, this is what they said to Tom right, Oh, this is a different footballs. This is different they said it to Tom. That's illegal too, mm hmm. Too many footballs that he used, so should so I guess what they want is you should just use the same footballs.
Speaker 2: Let's have it be fair. Everyone has one football for the whole season, and if you don't take care of it, that's your fault.
Speaker 3: So she was saying, like one per game, one per.
Speaker 1: One, each hard game as in the game of footballs, and they play the games one at a time.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, each team gets a football, that's your football. When you're having a home game, you're in charge of it.
Speaker 1: Not fair and if you and if.
Speaker 2: Something goes wrong, that's on you.
Speaker 1: They stagger the games obviously they have to be either played in the same place, think happened and the footballs is just there and that's where the football lives. And then everyone gets it when it's there turns to get in is also for little kids.
Speaker 2: Boy, that'd be That'd be a shame, wouldn't it, Chuck, If the sport, the most popular sport in America, was teaching us about sharing and taking turns.
Speaker 1: Well, that'd be bad, allowed to do that. But you take too long, you.
Speaker 3: Think, Well, I just think this idea of this football idea you have is kind of intriguing me because you think of valuable that football would be. Oh, sell it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, breaking in to steal the other teams football the night.
Speaker 1: Before check with who better to ask a question? Oh, it's everyone thinks, Oh, we use a different football for every single game, and sometimes a bunch in the game. But what if we're wrong? Hm? But what if we're wrong?
Speaker 3: That's great point? Great point. Well, I you know, I You've given me a lot to think about here regarding the football itself, because you know, I'm writing I wrote this book about football, but I only, like, I only spent a few pages on the actual ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you and and.
Speaker 3: You the shape of it.
Speaker 2: So it's like, you know, you talk about the sport how it can only kind of get bigger and grow, and that's kind of the nature of it, and that's going to ultimately lead to its demise. But what if it became smaller in terms of just there was only one football? And whose version do you prefer minor Hayeses version of what? Well, So my idea is each team gets one football for the whole season if you lose your football. Hayes's idea is that there's actually only one football in the NFL in the world.
Speaker 3: I think that is the one that is the one I prefer the world. Yeah, I mean, because it would become such a just such a sought after item, you know, be like uh, and and its future would be mean, you know, I I like the idea of all having I mean, that's a lot of sharing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and my and my and my idea cannon fodder. It was cannon fodder for me. I know, Hayes's only one in football the world. That's obviously, you know, the right choice. But I have to provide some cannon fodder. So you're making choices too on the show.
Speaker 1: Now, going back to the book, it was sort of a revelation for me, Uh what what you taught me? In the same way I remember reading you talk about Muhammad Ali and his influence on wrapping years ago, and the same way you sort of laid out the connection between Stewie the Baby being the inspiration for the shape of the football that his the shape of his head was what originally inspired the football to be shaped like Stee the Baby.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the Family Guy character.
Speaker 1: But he was on Family Guy.
Speaker 2: He's got his own show now, but he certainly was, so yeah he was.
Speaker 1: I had sort of forgotten that the Baby was on Family Guy.
Speaker 2: But know, yeah, yeah, I mean people forget that.
Speaker 3: Huh, there's spin off or something, and he has a different show now, this baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, Stue, he's got to show the two season. Yeah, so he's got his own job.
Speaker 1: It's basically Family Guy is basically a distant memory at this point for Stewie the Baby, but was not allowed to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, no, Tom Brady got drafted by the Expos or whatever. But that's not how we think of him. It's not really how we think of him as it.
Speaker 3: No, that's true. That's a that's true. They do not associate him with the Expos.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're back with Chuck Closterman. The book is Football is Chuck we have a question you were of course they answering questions. We have been trying since you were first the epheicist to get you on the show because we have so many questions for you.
Speaker 2: The show, the world of the show is rife with moral quandaries.
Speaker 3: That would be you know, I feel I haven't done this in a while, but I would. I would love this go ahead.
Speaker 2: I gotta feeling the the muscles still work in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, where to begin? So let's I mean, and we don't want to use real names in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just it's sensitive for some people because we they are real issues.
Speaker 1: Uh say, some men are on a podcast. Yeah, and that podcast is on a network.
Speaker 3: Like a television network or like a podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, well they're filming it, but it is it is a podcast network primarily. But you know they've all got to do video, now, don't they.
Speaker 3: The computer network just on the the network of computers. Okay, Okay, sure I can imagine this.
Speaker 1: And the network. The face of the network is a famous man who is friends with Pete Carroll from your book, okay, and is in a movie and another movie, a dozen or so movies and and another and he has not done the men's podcast yet and he has not been asked.
Speaker 2: It's been there's been a bit of an overture made. Uh, there's a So let's say he has a shingle on the network that has a label, maybe it's Big Money Players, and we are required to display this label promoting this brand. And yet this man, let's say he was in, uh, two.
Speaker 1: Movies called Achorman. Does he have a.
Speaker 2: Moral obligation to appear on the show as a guest.
Speaker 1: If he has time to literally do two movies that are both called Acreman, is that that est that he might have time to go his old podcast?
Speaker 3: I need to go to revisit the thing you mentioned earlier. He has not been asked, though you said he is not You've not asked this person to do this.
Speaker 2: Now. I don't think I used the word overture correctly, but but what was there was something sort of okay, good.
Speaker 3: So like like you said, like this individual whoever you were like around him? And you just mentioned like, hey, we have a podcast, we're always looking for guests.
Speaker 2: No, we've never been around him. That's not part of our around.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you've never met the individual.
Speaker 1: There's people who.
Speaker 2: Work with him okay, more direct by choice?
Speaker 3: By choice? Or are these like slaves? Are these like are these employees?
Speaker 1: Like what is the what is the God? I've never asked? I've never asked? And that interesting topic for the podcast, and it could explain that could explain the reluctance to participate.
Speaker 2: There's certainly a power dynamic there where I think the the general idea of there's a new podcast joining the network and it would be good for them to have you as a guest was maybe spoken aloud it immediately shut down.
Speaker 1: But does the famous anchor man have the obligation to take the initiative to appear on the show, even in a fun way where he just pops out sometimes m hm, where it's a surprise and he's just hanging out around the office. Hey guys, yeah, and we hang out after.
Speaker 2: Imagine he just plopped down sort of in the corner here with a bag of chips and said, don't mind me.
Speaker 3: Okay, this might be an impossible question for you guys to answer, But do you suspect he is aware that this desire even exists from you guys? Like is he are you under the impression that he consciously knows that people want him to go on a podcast and he's just not doing it.
Speaker 1: We so far have not determined a piece of that question, which is is he aware of the men.
Speaker 2: The Do the men exist in his mind at all?
Speaker 1: So whether the awareness is there of whether the men want him to be on the podcast, the men on the podcast Men on the.
Speaker 3: Podcast podcast is not called the men. You're talking about the two men.
Speaker 2: The the the In the hypothetical though, where someone were to ask him, do you think two men at a certain age with a podcast on your network would want you to appear? I think he would have to say yes, he knows that they would want that.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess it's myra celebrity.
Speaker 4: And what I would find what I have learned from the world of podcasting ahead and from the world which kind of you guys exist in the world of Hollywood and all this.
Speaker 3: It's kind of inactional world, right action?
Speaker 2: So what what would you what would.
Speaker 3: Be the what would be the transaction from the end of the man like, what are they? What would they provide?
Speaker 1: We offer?
Speaker 2: What would we offer? I would say, you guys, uh uh. You know, it's easier for me to talk about this if I sort of take on.
Speaker 1: The uh.
Speaker 3: Boy, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I really convinced myself for a second that this wasn't my life.
Speaker 2: I did not set out today to play chess with the grandmaster.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And now I'm so, is this what you used to And I remember how you used to do this on the eficus now where you would spend most of your time and answering the questions, revealing the identities of the asker and the subject. Yes, for your own pleasure.
Speaker 2: Exposing though mm hmm, yes it was. It was honestly my first exposure to true got to journalism.
Speaker 3: That was a real stressful job, though, I have to say for a weird reason.
Speaker 1: Keeps a weird reason.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because like everyone thinks of now, like newspapers are just on the internet, but you know they still make the old physical copy, right, they own physical magazine. So in order to get that printed, I had to sort of have the entire thing done like nine days before it came out. So then once it was locked and it was going to be in the magazine, I would spend nine days thinking about how I might be incorrect. It would just be it was.
Speaker 1: Terrible standards change society of alls, Yes, and in nine days, people's relationship to for example, adultery changes on if you think about.
Speaker 2: It a day basis, nine days ago, the way I would have thought about even throwing a football to multiple receivers. Yeah, and how more objectionable that would be to me? And now to look at it from my current purview, with the perfect information that I have that actually that's good for the team. I uh, I would not I would not want that job.
Speaker 1: Next question, yep, okay, okay. A producer a man a man podcast. I guess this producer is actually producing a podcast.
Speaker 3: Okay, podcast.
Speaker 1: So you're thinking, so you're thinking of a pro, you're thinking of a producer. Yeah, okay, this is a this is a this is a producer. And this is a man who actually produces a podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, produces like seventeen of them or something. And then every time he drops one, he goes like.
Speaker 5: Good news, good news, it's just one. I'm doing one less. Okay, I'll have more time for you. This is how this guy talks really anyways.
Speaker 2: A podcast producer Okay, and he is. He's a little boy. He's from a insanely wealthy insurance dynasty. So so so then what he even does is like the fact that he's producing podcast at all, I think is just a fuck you to his old man sort.
Speaker 1: Of a joke. Okay, okay, or it's another way to prop it off people. I guess yes.
Speaker 3: Would classify this man's father as as like wealthy or very rich? Is he very is the father very rich? Like if if you looked up this guy on Wikipedia, would mentioned the wealth of his father.
Speaker 1: The producer likes to say he has freak you money.
Speaker 3: Mm hm okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So this producer, he's a producer and uh, he has over the course of several years sort of burrowed his way under the skin of this podcast so that he is kind of inextricable without pulling out something crucial to the sort of existence of it.
Speaker 3: Is this troubling or is this positive?
Speaker 1: It's just part of the it's become a body part.
Speaker 2: There was a time when there have been different times throughout the length of the relationship that it has been.
Speaker 3: Both oh really at the same time.
Speaker 1: You know how you have like a tick. Sometimes it gets in like to your feet and you're just like, okay, well that's like another toe now basically mm hmmm, like, well, that's kind.
Speaker 3: Of a that's outside the box thinking that's not really usually simultaneously positive. But okay, I guess it could be. I mean I guess, well.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes it feels kind of good.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, you're you're you guys come from more of a tick place, like I feel like, well, I'll say, in New England there are ticks or like you're like, you know, like Fire Island places like that.
Speaker 2: Rather you said it, yeah, I get that one tick.
Speaker 3: You're not like red meat or whatever. Though, let's say with the lone star tick, are you familiar with this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, yes, every single one. We're familiar.
Speaker 2: There's there's not a tick under the side.
Speaker 3: I don't want to I don't want to get you after it. So this producer kind of has kind of the Michael jacksony voice. You described wealthy, come from wealth.
Speaker 1: And Michael Jackson, Yeah, like nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: And I'm dating myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, off the wall is.
Speaker 1: Yes, And this little boy has moved has also burrowed himself into a woman's affections somehow, and the two of them have moved to let's say, let's call it Klitsburgh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's use a fake name. So it's like Plittsburgh, Plencylblania Okay, for.
Speaker 1: Undisclosed reasons, Well, undisclosed to you or to anyway. We haven't asked, don't care, okay, would rather not know? Would Yeah, And this man, as of right now, the financial arrangement with the podcast is unchanged. Does the podcast have an ethical obligation to adjust the producer boys payment according to the cost of living in his new home?
Speaker 2: Just in terms, just in terms of the ethics of it. So let's say, and it just as an example, the kind of thing this producer might do, let's say, just so you have a sense of kind of what he does for the show. So's you know, for a long time, I ever know what producers do on these show. Yeah, so for a long time he was sort of boots on the ground in Los Angeles. You get to the studio, you know, not really do anything we could see, but there was an assumption that something had been set up for us.
Speaker 1: He'd make something. If you make a pizza sandwich for us, Have you ever had a pizza sandwich?
Speaker 3: Is that like that like a subway? But it's just like there's just pepperoni and cheese.
Speaker 1: There's cheese and marion Ao sauce. But it's on bread like sandwich bread. It's not hot.
Speaker 3: Oh that that's well. How what it's cold marion Ao sauce.
Speaker 2: Cold, mari and Ea, it's not cold. It's not like and the bread's like bread's actively cold. The bread comes out of the free but it's not like frozen. It's like Marionaro sauce. Yeah, room temp. It's a cold room. But they that's one thing does so that's so that's.
Speaker 1: What he used to do.
Speaker 2: Now that he's in in Pittsburgh, maybe a guest is coming on the show. Hell, maybe he's the epicist.
Speaker 1: And uh you.
Speaker 2: Would maybe see him torturing this person with uh little technical nitpicks. Yeah here pull pull down menus in quick time, et cetera, completely ignoring that incredibly.
Speaker 1: Completely microphone bullshit.
Speaker 2: And and the host may sit down and sort of try to engage a little bit, have a little bit like warm banter with the guests prior to the recording starting, and that would be forbidden by this producer who needs to play his sick sort of jigsaw like games with the different recording menus.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, the power the attempt, the attempt to say warm the guest up getting comfortable. That's undercut by these technical the technical jargon.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, is what is what these podcasts would be known for, is making everyone so comfortable doing the show, which is supposed to be cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, podcast just like guys talking. They always guys. People complement a podcast by saying it just sounds like Jude's at a bar chatting.
Speaker 1: Are flowing conversation that occasionally touches.
Speaker 3: On subjects, yes, yes, yes, real friends.
Speaker 1: Yes. Instead, we have an expensive boy in Plittsburgh. Who imagine this if he had been living in Plittsburgh and moved to Los Angeles. I have a feeling we would get a get another text about how, hey, it's really expensive to live here. How about a cost of living adjustment.
Speaker 2: Some sort of some sort of transportation fee, yes, uh, some sort of housing you know, stipend, and.
Speaker 1: Something like hooks to area median income for example, is our ethical obligation?
Speaker 2: Now this guy moves to a fucking palace in the middle of the country.
Speaker 3: I mean this is complicated for a couple of reasons. One, yeah, you keep calling him a boy. Is he a minor? Is this a child or he just sort of is that a kind of a pejorative way you.
Speaker 2: Refer to him, and he's a major child because they fucking little baby.
Speaker 3: The cost of living thing is is confusing because I've been seeing these these ads from a mayorial candidate, Spencer Pratt. It actually looks real cheap to live in la. It seems like there's lots of places you can just live. So I don't know if the cost of living is really a problem.
Speaker 1: So he is actually the one making those ads he's been very involved in.
Speaker 2: Really Yeah, the producer is again he's moonlighting. He's always doing nineteen other shows and then and then he's got, you know, time to.
Speaker 1: Work with.
Speaker 2: Expencer Pratt. That's what he calls because he has an expense account with the campaign.
Speaker 3: But but you're and you're wondering if ethically you can reduce his salary because we have.
Speaker 1: A more obligation obligation.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you just from an ethical standpoint?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I mean I suppose one could argue that like you need to refer to him as a boy, like needs to learn the value of.
Speaker 6: Dollar boy, it could help him, huh Yeah, And maybe it might be to his benefit in a way to make less it's for him, awsible.
Speaker 2: I don't want to take his money away, But how ese is he gonna understand exactly you make the same amount of Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: He did in La It's actually it's Pittsburgh. You know, what is the town? Maybe some kind of weird like sex town outside of Vegas the way you were describing it before. But it was like, that's a Pittsburgh, you know, is a kind of undergrade.
Speaker 2: He did go to Vegas a lot and he didn't gamble, and that's not making me wonder is there Pittsburgh there? That was actually we were spending a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: Go to Vegas to smoke cigars. And now that I'm thinking about it, like that doesn't really why would you go all the way that you can do that here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't seem like a it requires travel.
Speaker 1: But he does say you can have a sex town anywhere, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sort of a famous.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, question three.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're back with Chuck close from in the book is the book is Football's and we're.
Speaker 3: Coming back from He keeps saying that they're gonna be ads dropped in here is this like real lucrative keep fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: You know, we're going to do the beginning of this at the end, so like we're gonna so like sorry, did he not explain this? Do you like?
Speaker 2: We we this is when we have to cut his pay.
Speaker 1: We always kind of like we heat up over the course of of the show. Fourth quarter guys, Yeah, yeah, right, And we want that energy at the beginning.
Speaker 2: To launch us because otherwise people will turn the show off. If people hear the beginning of the show first, they turn it off.
Speaker 3: It was boring. Our early interaction was boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole thing, the whole thing has been bad. But the but the other thing I'll say, Chuck, is when when you ask whether you know whether we're gonna have ads dress for the job you want, you know, host for the podcast you want, and there's sort of a fake it to you make it. I think if we do enough coming back from an ad break, those ads are going to find their way to us.
Speaker 7: Well, I've always thought a good idea for a podcast would be two ads for like, have you have no relationship to the product yet, like you think you actually like the thing, and then you'd think the company would hear that, knowing that it's a sincere, you know, endorsement, and then they would come in later and say, like, okay.
Speaker 3: Keeps promoting, you know, like whatever it is, whatever, whatever, I'll take that. Yeah, you guys love the shampoos. Obviously they love the shampoo, modern.
Speaker 2: Mammals, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Or just send the invoice, right, don't even do it, Yeah, just send out send out sentiment. Gonna check they're gonna five hundred invoices. Yeah, not everyone is gonna.
Speaker 2: They're gonna pay.
Speaker 1: I have to deal, like maybe.
Speaker 3: Three will more a kind of a gamble, more of a gamble.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have, but that's seventy five bucks, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Really picture it the I guess. The third question would be.
Speaker 1: If there was a man.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe a podcast was maybe he's not who through some sort of deceit or trick, he was able to get the Mandalorian's friend Grogu, to use his force choke powers on him in order to participate in some sort of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Speaker 1: Activity.
Speaker 2: Is that morally wrong for Grogu to be unaware that he's participating in a kink? Just before you answer, before you answer before you answer it. I just need to say it because I can already hear the comments. So this is a hypothetical question. Anyway, the term baby Yoda is a misnomer. Grogu' is at least fifty years old, which is older, which is older than me, older than this man and the example.
Speaker 1: It's not canon like everyone calling him that is actually the sick one. You could argue, yes, disgusting. This is a transaction between adults. Everything else aside like this. This is two adults and.
Speaker 2: And potentially, you know, Grogu may be willing to participate in this with the knowledge, but that would then not feel as good to the man.
Speaker 3: Oh that's this is this is interesting now. So you're saying that in order for this to have like the maximum erotic power, the baby Yoda has to be in some way tricked into this.
Speaker 2: But he's choosing to force choke, you know, maybe it's a training exercise something like this. It's gonna leave him quite tired.
Speaker 1: At the very least. Can we please call him Yoda the grown up? Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, okay?
Speaker 2: Or or.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's Yoda of a certain age.
Speaker 3: He can't really call him an adult Yoda though, right, that wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 2: He's not old Yoda, but I think he is. I think he's I think he's a grown up.
Speaker 3: And it's also what his what is this one's relationship to Yoda?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm?
Speaker 3: Is that explained? I didn't watch the Mandalorian Is he is the ma some people call the baby Yoda? I guess I initially assume that was just really young.
Speaker 1: They have they have they do sort of imply it. He wears a lockett mm hmm with a with a broken heart picture inside that has like real Yoda in it. So they are divorced.
Speaker 2: One half is forced So what.
Speaker 1: Grogu and Yoda? And again it's not like spelled out and the like. The implication is that.
Speaker 2: One thing I like about show I haven't seen it, but one thing I like about it is the way they do sort of bury these They they kind of leave the information there for the audience to come pick it up. They don't force feed it to you. And so, yeah, there's this Lockett and everyone now and then at the top or bottom of a scene you'll see Grogus or looking long and you get the broken heart photo of Yoda.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're first of all, so we're all agreements. There's no element of use of a child. We're looking at this thing as an adult. The thing is an adult.
Speaker 1: Look at it over years old. Everyone's an adult.
Speaker 3: Okay, then you know, I guess, I mean, what what what's even the potential problem?
Speaker 1: I mean, what what do you like this individual? Just say if I can just say, this individual is committing crimes on behalf of the empire in order to gold.
Speaker 3: Wait okay, wait a second, I will now you finally frame this. So what the idea here is is someone is using this It was grokuh you say his name is baby OTAs Groku Goku. Someone someone is is is committing like genocide or whatever, blowing up planets whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, the bottom of mine. He's the bottom mine. He's the entire town. He's a minor character. He's sending the somebody minor.
Speaker 3: He kills a tonton for fun. But this causes the little the creature to then and then and the idea is then he will masturbate while this is happening.
Speaker 2: You're gonna.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I don't know now because it's like, uh, I mean, is what do you.
Speaker 2: Commit on whether the crime is wrong, would you have committed that?
Speaker 3: Was like, if he was going to kill and just in this hypothetical he's going to kill the tonton anyways for sport, then this is just sort of And but if he's killing these things, he's doing these crimes in order to cause this thing to do, and otherwise what never happens. I guess I gotta say it's unethical.
Speaker 2: Become sticky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it barely got on the episode too. It was implied by mister Favreau that it was going to be potentially like a star making, like if if this could all be filmed, that this that that this character would then become yes, potentially like a back door pilot like.
Speaker 2: Sort of the New Window or whatever.
Speaker 3: This is why it would have been much more interesting to be the ephicist for like the La Times, where the questions be more like this. This is like most of the questions I got were mostly from rabbis or lawyers or women who were breastfeeding. Those are the three people who asked the most questions to the ephesis.
Speaker 2: And what they want to know about breastfeeding.
Speaker 3: Was well, it was always issues. There was always issues about the ethics.
Speaker 2: Of it, and it cast out wherever I want.
Speaker 3: Well, nothing much that It was more like if I recall to do with like the idea of kind of shaming people or forcing people to breastfeed, and some people couldn't the use of formula. It just came up more than I would have I would I would might have anticipated that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I wouldn't think. I wouldn't think the question of should I be shaming people would come up that much?
Speaker 1: And you would say, what, just like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't even remember a long time.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 1: We're back with Chuck Closterman. The books.
Speaker 2: It's huge. He's telling us Jim Thorpe's the goat, not Tom Brady. Okay, I didn't mean to spoil the whole chapter, but let's hear it, not the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Just is that true?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: The argument is that, yes, that for greatness, for it's really an argument about how one gauges greatness.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady is, Paul McCartney, Peyton Manning is John Lennon, Drew Brees is, George Harrison, Phil Rivers is Ringo.
Speaker 1: Tell me I'm wrong I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's like, that's not that's not bad. Well, you tom Brady was Paul, and Peyton.
Speaker 2: By Paul, and and Peyton's John.
Speaker 3: You want to flip, it needs to be reversed.
Speaker 2: I think Brady's John, Peyton's Paul George.
Speaker 3: Because Pyton was Peyton was more of the technician, you know. It's sort of like you know and whereas you know and Tom Brady is sort of the gritch you know, all that coming out. So that's but that's not bad. Philip Rivers is Ringo. That's kind of an interesting one. I don't know how Ringo doesn't have like nineteen kids or whatever. At first I was trying to figure this, so that was the connection.
Speaker 2: But I was thinking more about the football part of it, just because of your book or whatever.
Speaker 3: But just to be you know, the thing about that is the argument that I make in this book. If you're trying to classify something, because the most talented football player of all time is always going to be who's ever the most talented player right now because of the way the world improves and technology changes, and but if you're going to call something great needs to be the first elite, rendering of something whose qualities still exist in the modern version.
Speaker 1: So that would mean that the podcasters, yes, who are doing a podcast right now today, yep, this morning, are the best podcasters to ever do it before in the world.
Speaker 3: Well, if somebody ice, do you feel like the best podcast of all time are in our past, that there was a golden age of podcasting that's all over. I don't know if that's.
Speaker 2: Oh no, our best episodes are ahead of us, ahead of us there we are looking forward. If you even think about how much better this episode has gotten from when we started, and didn't we tell you that we were going to warm up into it? And isn't this feeling now that we started talking about music and football like all of a sudden, it's like whoa Like this is like, yes, we are on a rocket. I think the next episode we do after this.
Speaker 1: That is gonna be number one.
Speaker 3: Baby, ever you can putting that aside, what was your greatest episode? Do you do feel like you guys look back on these six hundred and some pods you've done and be like, that was the apex, this is when it was, This is when we really did it? Who is the guest?
Speaker 1: Who was it? Who just popped into your head. Well, because this is this is Malcolm right, it's blink.
Speaker 2: It's blink.
Speaker 1: Whoever, whoever, whoever just popped into your head is who it is? Yeah, and I'll tell you who, But you say.
Speaker 3: Say it at the same time.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead on G three, Michael Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Well there you go. I guess there's real, real kind of agreeming on it.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. He's right, Malcolm was right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Malcolm's I mean, you know, the guys sees something about people that they don't necessarily see in themselves, writes about it.
Speaker 1: And the book is Footballs and we're back with you are here you brag about being friends with the octopus that predicts a super Bowl in the book, what he's saying about this season? And how did you guys become such good friends my octopus friend.
Speaker 3: Oh you may maybe that was not in the book. I don't think. I don't think in the final version.
Speaker 2: Again it's it's it's a little mandalorian keV asking that we read between the lines.
Speaker 1: Kevin, are you there? What's up? You explicitly said that he would exclusively on our show talk about how he's friends with the octopus that the Super Bowl and would tell us what was going to happen in every single game this season. I did period.
Speaker 3: Sorry that sounded like in between a question and a statement, but I did.
Speaker 2: There are different kinds of intelligence, aren't there, Chuck?
Speaker 3: For instance, you're yes, that's that's also do you listeners realize that you the one where's the exact same hat as the producer? Why is that? Are you supposed to wear the same hat?
Speaker 1: This is like part of his you know, it's Ripley's game he's playing, but he's not even hiding it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well one, Chuck, Is that why you're asking why we can get your hat back? Hat? Chuck?
Speaker 3: Well, I just it was I didn't expect it.
Speaker 2: You know, we take your hat some of the money.
Speaker 3: But yeah, same hat. Well, I you know, I I I would love to have insight about, you know, the this octopus scenario, but I I was there is this? Are you basing this was? There's like some news story about an octopus who did this? It seems vaguely familiar to me.
Speaker 2: Probably? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you try to stay away from the news several.
Speaker 3: Dozenas often like the animal picks something and you have for the NCAA tournament or something. They'll like put like every team, all sixty four teams in the under like golf balls or something, and they'll see like if the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then they it's which bananas the OCAs?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Uh, this isn't that. This is a super intelligent octopus who chooses the winner of the super Bowl. Maybe is influencing who wins in the choice.
Speaker 1: It's unclear, always correct, yes, if if the ocopus can see the future or create it.
Speaker 2: Whether it's an alien life force that actually is able to manipulate reality to fit whatever it decides.
Speaker 1: Or sees time as a cohesive block.
Speaker 2: Is already aware. The super Bowl has already happened for the octopus and is happening right now and will happen again.
Speaker 3: I mean, the octopus is a pretty interesting creature. I'm sure you've seen the footage of like the octopus who can like escape from its cage.
Speaker 1: This is the same one, same one, same exact.
Speaker 3: Guy, and he like kind of become different colors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how he announced what murder put on a helmet?
Speaker 3: Like, what did you throw in the idea that can like travel through time.
Speaker 2: Or experiencing that it is experiencing times.
Speaker 1: I mean we're all traveling through time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean episode, we're.
Speaker 3: Not really like astro projecting I guess into the future. I mean that would I suppose though, if we think the octopus can pick the super Bowl? He asked to travel through time, right.
Speaker 1: And we're back with chu of the book.
Speaker 2: It's about an octopus that can travel through time.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the what's the name of the next book?
Speaker 2: What are we doing next?
Speaker 3: The next book? Actually a book coming out in the fall. Weird two books this year. I wrote one book, wrote one book entirely. The publisher declined to publish it so it was too weird. So then I wrote the football book. They put that out, So then I took the other book to a different publisher, and now they're.
Speaker 2: Putting out all rub their nose in it. And what's the weird one. It's just called rock and it's fiction nonfiction. I know, we do both.
Speaker 1: I had sort of wonder, Chuck, and I didn't want to correct you about this at the time, but when you wrote sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, I was like, I think this is a mistake. That book was supposed to be called sex drugs and rock. And so now that you're doing rock, is it sort of making amends.
Speaker 2: To make good, isn't it. We have to do those for our advertisers all the time. A little bit of a make good comes up frequently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was in retrospect. I mean, I don't know if this is a makeup, but it was pretty stupid to have coco puffs in the title of a book when I look back at it now, Oh yeah, it's like that was because because I had a different title for that book, and then they were like, no, no, this title makes no sense whatsoever. And then like I said, well, you just want something like I don't know, sex, drugs and cocoa pops and they were like yes, And I was still, yeah, I wasn't successful or anything. I had no leverage. I couldn't say like, we're you know, we're not sticking with the you know, they wouldn't stick with the original title. So then you know, now I have to live with this that I don't love the title of that book.
Speaker 2: It seems kind of me but that's what what's the original title that you want.
Speaker 3: To American Minotaur?
Speaker 2: Oh interesting.
Speaker 1: That because they were horny the guys that it were horny. Uh no, by that would be that.
Speaker 3: Would be uh that would that would be That's unseemly that you would even suggest that would be.
Speaker 2: Well, we're experiencing now, a little bit of the Tory paradox, aren't we.
Speaker 3: By you really you've learned, you're making all these references. Wow, you know it's like this is this is proof that you were well informed. How old are you guys?
Speaker 1: Bye I, Hollywood, Hamburg,