Speaker 1: Not playing best Ball at DraftKings, you're missing out. Here's what you need to know. DraftKings Best Ball Millionaire Contest is their biggest fantasy contest ever. We're talking fifteen million dollars guaranteed prize pool with two that's right, two millionaires being crowned for first and second place. If you're a set it and forget it tight, then best balls for you. No waiver wires, no roster management, bigger rosters, so injuries won't end your season, only the draft and that's it your set for the season. Still not convinced, check it out. This year, Draftskings is offering everyone a Draft one, get one special. Your twenty dollars entry fee scored you at bonus ticket, get in on all the best ball action. Download the DraftKings app and use code Richard. That's code Richard for all customers who enter the NFL Best Ball fifteen million dollars contest to get a bonus ticket and get a shot at being crowned one of two millionaires.
Speaker 2: Only on DraftKings.
Speaker 1: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net in New York call eight seven seven eight h O P E n y or text h O P E n Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus. Age varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario, se Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot Com, slash Football, terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: The volume.
Speaker 3: Delta Pool Championships. Always do the expectation.
Speaker 2: All right, man, you go ahead. Welcome back to the Richard Sherman Podcast. We got a special guest PFF's highest rated corner last year, Jalen Johnson.
Speaker 4: How you doing, brother, I'm good getting called a big dog from a big dog.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: Hey, you out there putting it on tape. I can't. You got to get credits words too, even though they didn't on the top one hundred. I said, come on.
Speaker 3: Now, that's all good. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got a lot of respect for me, and I'm sure you get a lot of respect from your peers, even though the top one hundred, it gets skept it sometimes because it was a couple of times I wasn't on there where I was like, man, what are y'all doing? Like I want to say, I was second in the league and picks one year and I wasn't on there. I was like, okay, this cap yeah, fact, yeah, it's big facts. But how you how you feeling? I see you got engaged.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I'm feeling good.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: At the crib. That's how to step outside. She make us a fool right now. So she holding it down for me. She still cooking on her last month or so of baby girls, So I mean she really need to be sitting down because who knows when the baby gonna come at this point.
Speaker 3: But now I'm blessed man. Just got a new crib.
Speaker 4: I mean, family coming along well, I mean healthy doing my thing camp. So God well and everything's going well and continue to go well.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to hear that. Man, that's the best part of life you got because you got a little one. You got a little girl already, this second little girl. So you straight girl, dad, Yeah, that big girl, dad. Yeah. Yeah, and then training camp they letting y'all come home because you vets.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well, I this is my first year, so being on year five, they said five and the buck get to go home.
Speaker 3: So hey, yeah, I'm in that big boy boat. Now I'm enjoying.
Speaker 4: Coming home to the crib, even for a few hours obvious sleep by ten thirty eleven at the latest.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I mean, I'm enjoying.
Speaker 2: It right right. You got to take care of the pregnant wife. You gotta make sure she good with her feet a little bit.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, your time, but her time, that's it.
Speaker 2: So how you feel it? You know, last year was kind of chaotic. Obviously it was your best season, second team off pro. You played at a really high level, But in terms of that building, that seemed to be a lot of chaos, especially when Alan Williams kind of resigned out of nowhere. Then Hebert Flutes took over the play calls, and like, what was it like in the building at that time?
Speaker 4: Honestly, man, it was a lot of up and downs because I felt like, of course, coming off that year we went three or fourteen, it was tough, so I think kind of just coming of course we had a TJ tremain, we added a few more pieces on defense. So going into the year, I felt like it it was kind of hopeful, and then a lot of things kind of just started trend in the wrong direction for us, so it kind of it was tough.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: I mean, we had a streak I think of almost like seventeen games straight of losing or something like that, So I mean for us it was well. For me, I know, it was hard just going through, of course a different regime and then not having the success and then losing and losing again, like you said, having Alla Williams stepped down, and then kind of not knowing where things were want to go from there. So I mean, for me, it was honestly a lot of uncertainty. Man, I'm on my contract. Yeah, I'm like, man, I'm trying to find somewhere to be stable.
Speaker 3: And and then it's like, no, I'm not feeling a whole lot of stability.
Speaker 4: So I mean, really just going through all that, and of course you start kind of hearing the talks of if we're going to have the head coach a game for the third year, kind of just all of those things start to kind of creep into your mind and then I think for me, honestly, it was just like man, at the end of the day, my table is my resume. I just got to continue to go out here and who at the end of the day. So, I mean, for me it was it was up and down. But at the end of their business is business, and I know for me, I had to handle my best way I could and things started turning around for us for the good. So I mean, things worked out well, but it definitely did start out really shaky and didn't really know how the future was gonna look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that's what it seemed like. I was. It's always unfortunate because when you're in a contract year you out there, you want to play good football and be part of a good defense. And you know y'all had some pieces, but you know, your d line needed a little bit of help, and I think they found some help. You know, you needed some help offense league because they weren't necessarily doing what they needed to do, but you still were abrashan and get your money. They franchised tagged you, I know, you know when that happened. They happened to a couple of corners and everybody was uncertain.
Speaker 3: It was like you sneed.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn it just really not paying the corners this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, fact.
Speaker 2: And then they got it figured out. So was there any ever a time in there they called you and we're like, hey, you know, we might trade you. I talk to your agent or your agent was like, well, you know, they're talking to teams and trying to figure it out.
Speaker 4: Honestly, not that I know of, at least not that they told my agent. I know, even when I did ask for a trade right at that trade deadline, I know it was again kind of going back to what we were talking about earlier, just kind of trying to find a steady home.
Speaker 3: Things weren't going good. So I'm like, man, at end of the day, I'm trying to go find.
Speaker 4: Somewhere to get paid one and then also to go have a chance to win. But I feel like they knew what they were doing, and they they declined the first one, except that the second one and then gave me an opportunity to go see something. But at the end of the day, it was one situations where they weren't going to no, but no other team was going to give up all that just for for for a corner. That's something you can do for a cornerback first rounds and all that. So, I mean they made it, they made it tough, but it ended up working out. But I think too, when they got to the off season, there was definitely no trade involved. I thought he was very open and transparent that I wasn't gonna be No, I wasn't going nowhere. They weren't gonna trade me or deal me anywhere, And if they had to use the tag twice, then of course that was what would have been done. But there was Yeah, I didn't think I was ever gonna go anywhere. After I'd say, they didn't trade me at the deadline?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean your homegrown talent, you know. Yeah, any good organization you got to keep your homegrown talent, especially the ones that develop into Pro Bowl All Pro players. If you letting them go, then what's the what's.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, shut it all down.
Speaker 2: Just shut it down. But y'all, you got some new teammates this off season. Obviously, Caleb came in with all the expectations and k ran you into that that gauntlet of an interview and he gave you all that headache, but you got Keenan, you got wrong, and then you already had DJ tell me because Keenan. Now, for those who will play corner and those who don't deal with the Keenans and the Davante's and the dusk ball ones of the world, understand, he got some stuff back.
Speaker 3: So something different, something completely different.
Speaker 2: So how has it been? You know, I know you've gone against him, but being teammates with him and getting to see his work ethic day in and day out, and just kind of teammate and player he is.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it's crazy because you see his personality when just like throughout the league. Of course you score touchdowns and do his little dance, but he actually cool, like a cool guy. Like, yeah, I know he's a little older. I think he's like thirty two on pushing thirty three. I think, so, I mean kind of just for him to be that I'm not evenna say that old, but in football years, for him to be a old head, he's definitely still young.
Speaker 3: He has a young, young soul.
Speaker 4: He can go out there and talk to the rookies, or he can talk with the ogs and the bets.
Speaker 3: He's been around. You can talk to him about anything every day.
Speaker 4: He has a good, fun, loud personality, so I mean definitely makes him be in locker room a lot easier because it's not like he's.
Speaker 3: Just on the old head that come in, put his head down and leave.
Speaker 4: Like now he's gonna crack some Joe's, talk to some guys, play some card games, whatever whatever it is. He's definitely an open guy. But as far as competing, I mean, I love competing against him. I mean when, of course we got all those guys for me, I'm like, hey, they ain't gonna come in here and work like naw, this ain't gonna be just the offensive show just for me, especially like I always love Keenan games, so it's like when we when he came, I'm like, oh no, hey, I need to Hey, I'm trying to lock him up and so like. So I mean, for me, that was always like my mentality. But it's one of those things that we can definitely have that competition, but we can also still talk and still be cool. But it's definitely nothing but competition with a guy like that. I feel like he's somebody who can come in here and really make you better as a corner for me, that's not somebody his style of games than somebody that you see often. So I think being able to get the difference in DJ, the big catch guy, the after catch type of guy, then you have Keenan, a more savvy route runner.
Speaker 3: You kind of get you kind of get it all with him and DJ and.
Speaker 4: Then learning coming in bringing him young fresh legs into the feel like it's definitely something that you definitely gonna have to get better.
Speaker 3: And for me, I've tooken the challenge on.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was trying to go out there and go as long as I can without giving him a catching one on one. So I mean, I'm just trying to find ways to push myself and to push.
Speaker 3: Them as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, y'all got a really good secondary and and y'all have had it for a couple of years. Brisker is gonna be a good player. Young Kyler got a chance to get to know him and watch him when he was at U DUBH. He's gonna be a really good player. Y'all got the d line kind of roaring. Eric Washington's in the fold, and I know he's bringing line to the Buffalo scheme to y'all the quarter stuff. How has that transition been for you as a corner, because I know y'all ran a little bit of cover too. I've seen you make quite a few plays. This guy's cover two, jumping down, coming out the flag, going to the seventh. Has it been much of an adjustment for you just getting to learn the new playbook or have they just kind of like kept the playbook and tightened it up a little bit and maybe sprinkle a little new stuff in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's good exact. They're really just sprinkling the new some new things in. I know even last year. It's funny, the one the pick that you talk about, we were really in poems. So you, I promise you, because look look look look hear.
Speaker 3: Me, hear me, hear me.
Speaker 4: I seen him for Mason, So on my head, I'm like, I know I'm to the field.
Speaker 3: He sees me off.
Speaker 4: He probably gonna try to bang this fire yard in, but I already knew it was a fire yard and they wanted seven behind it, So I'm like, okay, so I'm kind of seeing it and I'm in my ham and no, I'm gonna make a play. I don't like just catching that little pass and tackling it. So I'm like, if he throws this short round, I'm gonna drive it. So sure enough he called it for me. Look I took off boom. I seen him pumps. I'm like, damn, I gotta get out of there and help get that. So I got I stuck my foot in the ground.
Speaker 2: Got out there. He threw it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, I got it. I took it. With everybody like seeing it, it was oh yeah, cover too great, high law. I'm like, nah, I was being greedy and I got yeah. No, I was trying.
Speaker 4: I was trying to make a play for so but it definitely worked out. But really just for for this, for this this year, and what we're doing is really a lot of the same things we did last year. Conda is trying to bring it all together, like you said, with the Cover two, the Cover three that we were heavy on at first and now and bringing in some quarters and ponds, different things, trying to give different looks.
Speaker 3: Things like that. I feel like it'll be really good for us.
Speaker 4: And then of course adding that pressure up front and combining with the different coverages and looks on the back end, I feel like, well, we can be really dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean bringing in Montest Sweat was big. You know, I don't think people give him credit for how good he is and how consistent he's been the last I mean four or five years, he's been really really owning, really one of the best players. But what about Rome, Rome was looking I can't I couldn't get a good feel for him when he was at UW, even though we watched a lot of their games. But you know, playing corner receivers that big, you can't tell if they really got wiggle like that because you know, not everybody pressed them, and some of the dudes pressed ain't really like that. And that's a but what So, what do you think of his game? Initially? Obviously he gonna have room to grow. He may grow into something totally different from what he is, but just as a rookie coming in.
Speaker 4: Now, I think just overall, I feel like he has a very a very solid game, a very smooth game just going out. I think for me, the biggest thing that he he'll learn.
Speaker 3: And that he is learning, is being.
Speaker 4: Able to be crafty in some of those routes, especially going against more savvy vent that guys that kind of can put some things together that can look at formations, that can look at field position where you're at and release it. You're kinda have to add a little flavor to it, and I feel he'll learn that. He'll get that, especially having Keen in the same room. He'll definitely give him, give him some of those tools. But I thought he's definitely an athletic guy, a good contested catch guy.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: He can go up there and make some really good contested catches. So I think overall, I feel like the ceiling is very, very high for him. I feel like he has everything physically, is just again adding that savviness to IQ to some of his routes that I think it will take him really to the next level.
Speaker 2: Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball, which may thanks getting tickets easier and faster. Prices on the game Time app actually go down the closer it gets to the first pitch. When I go to Mariners games, game Time makes it easy to get my tickets at the last minute. Take the guest work out of buying MLB tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, creat an account use the code Sherman for twenty dollars off your first purchase terms apply again. Create an account and use the code s H E R M A N for twenty dollars off download game time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. I think, I think, I mean, having Keenan in there and even DJ for for for a young kid is going to be I mean it's gonna be an outstanding and I mean having all of them for for KLYP is going to be. I mean, who can ask? I said, no doubt, how's it doing hard? Notots because I prayed we never got on that. I was playing like it got the cameras in the building all the time. You can't really say what you want to say. You can't just be yourself all the time. Has that been kind of annoying or has it been kind of like because some people use it to elevate their brand and elevate their platform into you know, last year everybody was talking about a Rod and what he was doing throughout the year, and it may you know, I think it changed some people's opinion about it, But how has it been for you?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't I don't really mind it.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I felt like because a lot of guys like you miked up and all j I can't talk to you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, man, at the end of the day, this is what like to me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be who I am, like everybody should be be themselves. And of course there's a level of certain things we can can't talk about, but I fly for the most part, I feel like about ninety percent of things is all is all good. I mean, at the end of the day, I feel like it's all about giving people the insight, like the inside scoop of what it's like being in the NFL, what it's like being in the training camp. Probably depending on what time of the year you got the hard knocks. But I probly for the most part, I'm myself, like if I miked up or I don't care, like they're gonna to see see me for what it is, se the situation for what it is in our quarters, the professional side of it. You gotta protect certain conversations and certain things like that.
Speaker 3: But I mean, for me, it doesn't it doesn't bother me. I know some people in that, but now Mike will start kind of creeping up around over the top.
Speaker 4: People start kind of freezing up, not wanting to talk and do things like that, and I'm like, hey, man, they won't. They want the content, they want to see this. I mean, we just got to get the people what they want. It's no different than showing up on Sunday. Don't nobody tighten up?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: Now we got to go out here and se who you are right now.
Speaker 2: You got the right idea. They put that mic on me. I did not care. I let everybody know. Look, I got the mic on me, but I'm about to go out here and do what I always always do, no doubt. Well you got you got paid. There's some some momentum in y'all team, some some optimism obviously with the young new young quarterbacks, some offensive weapons, defensive firepower. Obviously y'all were the number one scoring defense in the second half of the season. Once Montes sweat out there like that had to give you guys some confidence of hey, you know what I mean, we can't put it together when we need to and when everything's going away we have. So what are your expectations for your team and your defense coming into the season. Because I've been part of some really good defenses and it just sometimes it's just holding each other to the standard every day and not really getting caught up on like hey man, you know we're chasing these dudes, so we're trying to be better than them, or we're trying to it's just really stacking your days and really one day at a time, hold each other accountable with respect. Like you can't really go out there and be like, man, you suck man, what are you doing out there?
Speaker 3: Because that yeah, you can't like that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I think really for me, the biggest thing is improving on our finish. I mean, I find for us we had a few games I know I can speak to Detroit and Cleveland we were up winning and then lost the game in the fourth quarter, lost the game coming down to those last couple of minutes to Whereas like for us, that puts us in a in a different position. I fight, just the bigger thing for defense finishing two minute drills, finishing just that fourth quarter. I think for us it really just starts with the preparation. I feel like we can't it really top to bottom. I fight, we can't let up off the gas. When you know you start getting in that two minute mode, you kind of just start playing back like naw, we gotta still continue to be aggressive and really well we well, I like to say it slip people's throats, like now we can't just come out here and okay, yeah and then just think we're gonna stop right now.
Speaker 3: They still trying to win the game, like we gotta start that right now.
Speaker 4: And I feel like for me and what I like to do is I'm always getting extra work out the practice. So for me, that's part of like my finishing where it's like, Okay, I finished practice. I gotta finish my work, so I know when it is in the fourth quarter, I still have that dog mentality of like, nah, I'm locking this fool up, no matter if it's two minutes, four minute, whatever it may be, if they down ten, if they down three. Like now, at end of the day, I'm still in that mode to finish, and I fight for me. I'm trying to push guys, get guys to understand like, nah, we we have a great team, but hey, it's still gonna be a situation when we gotta finish guys off. It's not just gonna be handed tools. We got to go out there and take it against a man's will. So I fight for us. That's really but I feel like we can improve on and if we can do that, I know we'll we'll win a lot more games for sure. Who you bringing with you as far as well.
Speaker 2: I heard you say I'm getting some work out of the practice, but you're by yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, no, I'm not by myself. I put like that.
Speaker 4: I tell him, Hey, I got plenty of work for God, if you want to take it. He I don't got no hit him. He's no taxes, no, none of that. If you want to come out here and get some work, I'm here. It's offer to everybody. So I mean, right now I got I got two rookies and then I got another guy who just came from the CFL. They're the most consistent ones right now. I know Takwan, he's working out with me every day. Before he kind of got into some injury things, so I know when he gets back he'll be back with me. But right now, now everybody knows, like, hey, Jalen is here after practice getting work.
Speaker 3: It's up to them.
Speaker 4: So I mean, I can only bring those around who want to be around.
Speaker 2: What this will be my two cents again, Your man Dood who used to be something in our group, we everybody gotta go. Everybody is back there or nobody's back there because because in the fourth quarter, like you said, everything you say it is facts and big facts. That's winning football. When if you got to be ready fourth quarter game on line, everybody's hired. But if only Jalen Johnson's ready and everybody else ain't ready, we still loose. And so what we found out is no matter how strong one of us is, if all of us ain't that strong, we still loose. And so we if we're gonna do extra work, we gonna do it like it ain't really an option. That's the standard. You guys to do that because you challenge them with their own ambition, or do you want to win? Is championship what we want to do? Or we just want to be in the NFL like we want to be the best defensive football or we just want to be some guys out there that play in the NFL like and a lot of the guys got that kind of pride and say, man, I don't want to be the best, then make your actions match words, brother like, because I ain't gonna cut you out. I can't make you do nothing, and I'm not trying to run you into the ground because I know we're in trading camp. But if we talking technique as a corner, you can always get better. I don't give dang how good you are at your press. You can always get two more reps, three more reps, get your eyeplacement, get the receiver. Give me three releases real quick, like you can always get better. And those few reps when you tired, when your legs, when you everything's sweating, like those are when you need it. Lock in real quick. Give me too of your best go out there, get keenan, hey, keen it, come on. I know it's gonna be tough. Give me, just give me two, three of them, and I guarantee you won't say no, because that's not how like winners, that's not how you got here by saying no to work and so to be that kind of leader. Leaders lead by bringing everybody along. It's not usually you don't even lead from the front. You lead from the back. If you got to run laps and the time of the last person is the one that hey man, everybody got to come in by three thirty, and that last person's been coming in at three thirty three, then you go behind, and you make sure you're coming in at three thirty because you can come in first, ain't have to run another one because he came in last.
Speaker 3: Feel what I'm saying, No, no, that I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: It's all love. It's all love. I can't I can't wait to hear why you wanted to play corner?
Speaker 3: Geez? Why did I want to play? Honestly, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I didn't even start off really playing corner like I know, of course, I alway said, nah, probably corner. I started off, of course, with all league running back. I thought I was Reggie Bush, play linebacker like I wanted to be an action like my dad. Like my dad grew my older brother to play corner from Dye beauty Boy, like eight years old. My brother played corner all the way ver until he couldn't play football no more. So even for me, I'm like, nah, I want to be an action. I want to be an action. And then as I got older, people started getting a little bigger.
Speaker 3: I'm like, nah, I ain't nobody playing a running back no more. HiT's a little different.
Speaker 4: So I kind of slowly started working my way outside play a little receiver. And I still that's why I started playing corner safety kind of learning boat.
Speaker 3: Then I got to high school play corner.
Speaker 4: My freshman ye or sophomore year, I played corner, but I sat behind two D one guys, so I was behind them.
Speaker 3: Play more receiver.
Speaker 4: So I really didn't get a lot of like touches that until really my junior year of high school.
Speaker 3: So I played. My junior year was solid decent.
Speaker 4: And then really I started working with my brother, work with my dad really getting heavy because I was two sport athletes too.
Speaker 3: I played football, basketball, So I.
Speaker 4: Never really honed in like on my craft truly, but really my junior was my junior year hit That's what I really started honing in on it. And I was like I always listened to the conversation my dad and my brother had and I knew a lot, Like I was really like smart. I was able to retain the information, but I never had the opportunity to apply it. So when I started really playing it, I started really applying in. And I know, we was at the seven on seven practice one time, and my dad and my brother like they're big on work, so like if they don't see you from the work, they're like, nah, it ain't like it ain't it. So I was doing my little thing on the side. And so we was at seven on seven prior. They was trying to give every look, every route, and I was just defending locking it up, locking it up, locking it up. And at first it was like all this luck is luck. They kept trying challenging me. I kept doing it boom, and it was okay, you might be somebody. So we went to seven or seven tournament, ended up locking up some four or five star guys.
Speaker 3: My brother was with me talking trash to him. So really from there it was just.
Speaker 4: One of those things that's like, nah, I can really be somebody in this and it's not just be something that was forced throw me that I was born into. But it's like, nah, I really took that and took the extreme prize. So I mean, really, ever since my junior year, I've been fully committed to.
Speaker 3: Being out on the island lock as people up.
Speaker 2: So what did your brother ever get into the leg or he just played college or how far did to go? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Nah, he played at UCLA, He played at UCLA, finishes last year at Present State.
Speaker 3: Really it was crazy, I till we bought time. He was he was. He was better than me, like.
Speaker 4: Physically, feed footwork, dog pressed off like he had it all. He was four star, went to UCLA, but he had we all kind of had the same thing. We had them shoulder issues. So he went to shoulders first year for shoulder his second year. So it's like by the time you get healthier third year, they already brought two classes of moore and five star guys around, so it's like he was still in the mix, still getting in there, rotating, kind of got into it.
Speaker 3: A little bit with the coach on some things.
Speaker 4: Played a few games and it's like, okay, going on all fourth year, I only played in six seven games.
Speaker 3: They still bringing in four and five star dudes. So it's like after a.
Speaker 4: While he kind of just was like, hey, I already know kind of how this is shaping out, Like they're not about to keep messing with me all Like they got all they guys they bringing in.
Speaker 3: So he just ended up getting a degree.
Speaker 4: Finishing his last year at Pheland State went there, kind of got into the same cultural situation where it's like you coming from where you're coming from, trying to play a certain style of ball.
Speaker 3: They got their coach already.
Speaker 4: Then it's like you to turn to when was the last time you had some recent tape, because I mean the tape he did have a damn good tape, but it's like that.
Speaker 3: Was two years ago.
Speaker 4: So it's like he didn't really have a chance in him being five to nine.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not that's not idea and in today's game.
Speaker 4: So yeah, nah, So he didn't end up getting a shot and he wasn't like a CF trying to force it and do nothing like that. So that's really after that that that's really when he turned into my trainer. Of course, he was still active in playing, so I moved him out to Utah with me, got an internship at Utah, and that ship we've been training. He's been a trainer, He trained dbs, He trains kids from four or five years old to whoever else. So yeah, uh, well we're from Cali, but he lives with me in the off season in season, so I mean he's he's always with me and has his clientele like in Chicago. Yeah yeah, so he got his clients out in Chicago. Coach a little seven on or tackle football team.
Speaker 2: So he's what's his training thing? God, we can give him a shot out real quick.
Speaker 4: Oh it's called elite athletic transformation.
Speaker 2: Hey. Hey, if you're in Chicago and you need some corner work, elite athletic transformations where you need.
Speaker 3: To be at no doubt.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it, man, I love it. That's gonna be. That's pretty cool though, because I got a good relation. How many years different?
Speaker 3: Fo? He's four years older?
Speaker 2: Okay, mine is three? And boy, yeah he right there. Because they just paid the world for you, and then you come in behind me, you like I do better than what they did, and I'm good.
Speaker 3: That's it. You better stay healthy. I'll be good.
Speaker 2: I'll be good. I got the you appreciate your brother from putting the blueprint out there.
Speaker 3: I take it from here, no doubt.
Speaker 2: So are there any games you got circle, because I know you ain't scared to say what your feet to say on your schedule this year? Y'all got some good matchups, but anything in particular.
Speaker 3: I got a few.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not I don't know exactly when we play them all, but I'm looking forward to going against Calvin Ridley again. I haven't won again went up against him since my rookie year, so him of course, d hop hopefully he gets back healthy. So looking forward to going against that tandem and then show I know that next week we got some boys down in Houston, Diggs, Tank, Nico Collins, I'm looking forward to that. Who else we got? Who else we got? Of course Justin? I missed Justin for the last I think two years now. I was either heard he was hurt, So looking forward to going against him. Who else we got?
Speaker 3: Who else? That's different. I really just say those because ain't nobody jumped out at me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, of course Alm and Rad is always in the division and things like that, But I probably for the most part, I'm looking forward to to those.
Speaker 3: Oh, Sam France, that's.
Speaker 4: The game I'm looking forward to, not necessarily the matchup individually. Hopefully Brandon Ayuka is there, not then they I'm missing out on that one. But really other than that DK that you got to have on I haven't.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen him in my career, So looking forward to those ones. For sure.
Speaker 2: You got him at the end of the season too, we'll be we got that game.
Speaker 3: Uh think were in Chicago? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's Thursday night, baby, We'll be there. Oh yeah, I would say, I'm gonna sell you out there.
Speaker 2: I'll be there. Uh that's cool. So who is who is your best? Who the best quarters in the National Football League right now outside of you?
Speaker 4: And we're just saying, are we asking my style or are we talking just like overall everyone your world. I'm gonna get I'm gonna get my style. I like because I feel like it's hard to I don't know. Everybody judges it different.
Speaker 3: Everybody can judge it by interceptions or whatever. But for me, I'm gonna if I had to put.
Speaker 4: These four guys on an island, I would probably say I'll go with Pat no in no order, I probably go Pat Denzel.
Speaker 3: Stars. Oh and I can't give myself for who else? Would I go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, we just gonna assume you on the list. But we need five.
Speaker 3: Right right right right right Ireland, Ireland, Ireland.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and help and put some names out there. You gotta give some names playing at a real high level. Uh, who am I messing right now? Because he was just Steve Sneak killed in the playoffs last year. McDuffie killed in the playoffs last year. Here our various players at a high level. When he was going, he had a nice over run of four or five games where he had a book in each of those games. Uh, you know out in Seattle to reak. You know, they got the young young nickel that that's played at the high level. You got the big the whole big dog gay years, you got the slaves, you got, you got out out in Miami, Marsa. It's whatever you whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Oh that's uh mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That's tough because because Pat Patt is gonna be in that conversation all the time. Obviously, you played at high level, you get to be in that conversation all the time. Year when he's healthy, he's as good as they get. Marshawn just kind of been overshadowed because they haven't been very good as a team. H Denzel never really gets that much credit.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I'll love I love Yeah No.
Speaker 4: I took some time to watch to watch those three so that thought. It was really hard for me because I just took I know, my off season. I was watching Path, I was watching Sauce, especially like Sauce.
Speaker 3: You hear a lot like you hear some people. Oh he's old rady. You hear some people say it's really good.
Speaker 4: I'm like, not damn that, I need to go watch my felt I'm like, nah, young boy guy, he got some things to him for sure. And and to me, it's like people are saying, oh he holds if he don't get called for it, he's not holding like then.
Speaker 3: Like damn, oh he does this, but he doesn't get caught. That's part. That's part of it. Pushed off all yeah, like hey, they pushed off. Nobody said, oh well he pushed off, Like nah, nobody, nobody cares. So I think for me, he usually what he got.
Speaker 4: I felt like it's really hard to give them or it's really hard to give them for I fight.
Speaker 3: The playing styles changed after that.
Speaker 4: I feel like I love I love watching Snead and McDuffie. I think it's hard. I feel like it's really hard to tell when they them boys get a lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: They get a lot Yeah yeah, but I said they get out of pressure. But I definitely love love their games.
Speaker 2: If I had to give you one, but I will say this, in fact, sisten them boys in man.
Speaker 3: All day, all the time. They pressed pressed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no they not.
Speaker 3: They not ducking no smoke for sure.
Speaker 2: What he did to wreaking that playoff game, people was like, oh man, that's crazy. I said, no, he practiced against him all the time. He has no fear. Used to I ain't got no fear. What what other corners that you when you came in or when you were at Utah that you were looking at You were like, man, I'm a model of my game after that, because you when you were coming up it was it was probably lead in there. Uh. Jalen was pretty much in his prime.
Speaker 4: Marshawan was young, but he was eating his first few years in the league.
Speaker 3: Slave was killing got modeled. Yeah, I was about to say I watched. I would say between Jalen Slade, Marshawan, Ja.
Speaker 2: Stepan Stepan right, I think you want there?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, no, no, for sure Gilmore for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh, I would probably say yeah. I honestly said those fires. I would say those five for sure coming in and out of college. Because again, I feel like you watch to me like I love Jaalen Ramsey's game as far.
Speaker 3: As like how he goes like I just love like his dog mentime.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's something like I cann't watch him necessarily and like, oh, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Go do that, Like nah, he just does. He just has some things that God gave him that he.
Speaker 2: Got everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he skipped everybody else. So now, but it's like looking at him, he gives you like when you watch him, it's like, nah, I gotta really be a dog. So I feel like I've always loved like his mentality. Of course, his ball skills going up and making those spectacular players, and just really his energy and energy.
Speaker 3: I feel he's very, very contagious.
Speaker 4: I feel like more so watching Gilmore, he's like Q Technie was always something that definitely stood out stood out to me, and that's something that I that I like as.
Speaker 3: Far as guy's being able to you shadow you take him.
Speaker 4: Like I'm not I'm not impressed by like the interception, I'm impressed by it, but you can put him on him and that guy's eliminated out the game. That's what That's what moves me more so than anything. So I love that about him. Even Marshaan, I know he was doing that at an early age. I think you want he was a Player of the Year for this rookie year hunh. Yeah, yeah, he came in doing this thing, who has always been a dog. I remember watching him early and just watching his tape and all the trash he was talking, making plays antics, and I'm like, nah, he kinda he's.
Speaker 3: Small, little man, gonna go out there and do it, get it, He's gonna fight. So I definitely love always.
Speaker 4: Watching DB's Man, I gave a lot of respect to guys that played this position at a high level, that go out there and and compete, because I mean, for me, it's like you'll see you turn on the tape and you'll watch certain guys he's.
Speaker 3: Like, man, ain't no pride in that, Like that ain't no what he's doing.
Speaker 2: It's certain people I couldn't even watch on tape. Like if I'm I'm trying to judge a receiver, I'm about to pay somebody if they played certain teams, I wouldn't even want to they tape because I'm like, that's not even gonna help me. That's not what.
Speaker 3: I can't get a good I can't get a good assessment.
Speaker 2: I can't get a good assessment watching this dude. Look he gave you two fifty, Like.
Speaker 3: What do you want to definitely definitely, uh who.
Speaker 2: What was your welcome to the NFL moment, like who blessed you? Because because my second year it was this receiver Stevie Johnson and nobody really know about it or nasty that boy in a phone booth you ain't touching it four seven four six, but in a phone booth your hands?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wiggle? Are I blessed me? That? I really in the path I FL? I really held my own.
Speaker 4: Of course I ran over one tonight right right right right the year, but I probably as far as the past, I probably one dude who always gave me problems. I know, like me and Davante was like compet. I wouldn't say he blessed me. I would I win myn he win win his, But I would probably say I struggled with Mike Evans my first my first year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I know I struggled with him for sure. Everybody else. I feel like it was.
Speaker 4: Kind of like was silent, Like I wouldn't say that, like I had trouble, but Mike like he was someingm God like he doesn't do nothing special, it's not nothing that you don't know that he's gonna do, but it's like God damn.
Speaker 3: Then he got Tom Brady, especially when when I've seen him he.
Speaker 4: Had Tom Brady throwing. So I'm like, hey, I can I'm right here. He's big, running down the field, all strong, make it test and catches.
Speaker 2: I'm like, he ain't no different, he ain't no joke. Look in his hands. He way bigger and stronger than you ever.
Speaker 3: Think he is, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 2: He was one of the ones to be me and meet him and me and be Marshall. I had a couple of battles, so I was like God.
Speaker 4: With dinosaurs back, I would say, long lever cats. They ain't got no wiggle.
Speaker 2: They just all strong, all strong, hit you, grab you right here.
Speaker 3: A couple I made sure I back my linement up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Smart man, you.
Speaker 3: Can't get it up there, and then they want that.
Speaker 2: Smart man was. I ain't gonna take up too much more of your time. If you got any questions from me, anything you want to ask, I'm happy to answer. Other than that, I'll let you. Let you get back to your old lady, your fiance and your family.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You you well, I don't I know my answer, but you first, you first ballot.
Speaker 2: You think I hope. So you know, I don't want to jink. You don't want to jinxy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: There ain't no we gotta put it out there.
Speaker 2: Look, you put it out there and it don't happen. It's out there for yeah. Yeah, Look the rest of it I had could roll over, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like when I want to call them all that stuff, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I hope. So I think I did enough. You know, I went to three Super Bowls, got enough all pros and all that, you know, played on enough great defenses, went somewhere else and we had a great defense and went to another Bowl. So you know, I think during my time, I think I would say I was the best one that playing. But you know, everybody got their opinion. So I hope hopefully the voters think that. And you know, get me in. That would mean a lot to me, you know, to get that jacket, and and you know all your hard work, everything you dreamed about as a little kid comes true. You know, that's the that's the cool part. But that's what I'm saying about your teammates, Like if you really want to shine, you bring them boys along with you. And you and and they get it, you know what I mean, Like real competitors, real champions, real dudes who really want what they say they want. They don't really question it, you know what I mean. If you if you got to pull teeth to get a dude to do some extra work or to say hey, this is our standard as a dB group and our dB room and they want to argue it, then they not really what they say they are, and they probably gonna get replaced by somebody else. The coaches will see it. The table show all that, but most dudes ain't built like they didn't make it to the league by being like that. So you might have an off day where I'm tired or my hamstring herd and the sword, that's different. But if you say, hey, in this dB room, this is our standard. This is what we're doing with working every day after practice. I don't care if it's just catching a few balls on the jugs or getting a few releases. Like we go out there, we do not do the minimum, and dudes be like, no, man, I'm going home. You you ain't gonna be what you say you want to be. You ain't never gonna get there. So I would say, I would say that was the biggest thing about the Legion of Boom and our group, that that that helped elevate us and elevate the guys around us and elevate all of us. Is that that was the standard, and it was the standard, and nobody ever questioned it, nobody saying nothing. You know what I mean, like, hey, go get your extra work and let's go home. We're gonna do a lap around the field. We're gonna do this. Get your get your teen press coverage reps, or your your your safety reps, your eye reps, your quarterback throwing your all whatever, and let's get on out of here. But the standard is the standard. Nobody's gonna argue with.
Speaker 3: That, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 4: My last one for you, and I know how smart and intelligent you were, of course.
Speaker 3: Off the field, but I know on the field it was different.
Speaker 4: I feel like I ain't seen too many guys in the National Football League run somebody's round before they ran it. So I think for me, just always seeing them, he knows something. I feel like, how did how did you get to that point? Like how did you Because like for me, like I can watch film, I get to a point where like good. I'm good like right recognition, so I can kind of see, okay, three point one onto the field based on certain splits.
Speaker 3: I can expect certain things.
Speaker 4: But how I guess for my question to you is how did you get to that point to where it was at the level of which it was as far as your IQ, you seeing certain things, you calling things out before it even happens.
Speaker 3: Was that kind of studying? Was that? Do you think you just kind of have a certain type of memory or something like? How it was at that level it was?
Speaker 2: It was a little bit of everything. I played receiver for a long time in college, and so I learned West Coast offense under Bill Walsh and under Hofball and all of them. So I understand what the offense trying to do from their their their route combinations, like their philosophy, and a lot of the combinations like a flat two to the flat means one coming in or one on the curral and one on the slant, depending on if it's quick game or not. Two running the over route means one coming in. It's either dig or post, you know what I mean. So certain combinations are married with other things, and so I practiced that way. I practice situational football. That's all I do when I'm watching tape, when I'm watching our own offense, if I'm in training camp, I'm breaking down, Hey, are max protect deep developing routes? What are our offense like?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, they got they got a tidy end end and a great digger and a running back staying in max protect, all right, so they running deep developing routes. What's their favorite routes? Okay, they like double dig post are they like come back with a middle read or whatever it is. And once you learn those things, then let the split speak to you. Let the situation. Hey, it's third and five. What are they like on third and five?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 2: Like, okay, in the bunch, they like spot where it's the six to seven the flat and it's like, oh, they always do it out of emotion. So as I see that emotion, all right, Now, what I want to know, Hey, alert this, Alert this. If I see two, If I see three, go to the flat, I know I didn't increase, And now I just want to know which one I'm trying to bait him into throwing. Hey, you see the safety down, So he understands his three. He thinks he has the flat. So if I take away the flat, I know he takes the seven. So can I hold the flat long enough to go get the seven? Like you did in that poem's rep and you did what something I would do, but you did it subconsciously. You just did a reactionary, which was really cool. But so a lot of it is just understanding the concepts and our routes are married, like certain routes go with other routes always, and so they can't really run the concept without running the second part of it. So now I got to just know where my eyes are supposed to be. Hey, my zone two on this play my zone one, because I don't have any indicator over there with two on backside of a three by one, and it's third and five and I'm with Davonte, and you know it's it's up from there, you know what I mean? We can get anyway from there. But a lot of times it was just me understanding their concepts, understanding the situation we were in, and not letting the fatigue and the craziness of a game get me out of my game plan.
Speaker 3: No doubt, no doubt. Well, I thought, that's my that's my biggest thing.
Speaker 4: I feel like it is understanding it from an offensive perspective because I feel like, for me, I I can see it. I'm like, I'm really good at, like you said, flits for mation situations. Okay, when they want to do certain things, especially like when I see too, like a coverage that I can see two two will tell me.
Speaker 3: All I need to know about one like I don't.
Speaker 4: And a lot of times like I'll tell like she was asking, how you know all that I said, I see number two like too told me what you was what you was gonna do. So ops is my favorite unless you just did something completely off script and hey I got a rally to that, but right, yeah, he in fact, I just got to chalk that up and play a little true. But for the most part, I think for me, it's okay, how does the offense see what we're doing and see what I'm doing. I'm like, that's the biggest thing that I want to get to tow us.
Speaker 3: Like when I do know what they're doing.
Speaker 4: I can still see how he's seeing, how the quarterback seeing how the o c seeing it. I think that's something I want to take to that next level kind of start thinking and I I don't know who they hell, I need to talk to I need You.
Speaker 2: Can talk to some of them quarterbacks, you can talk to your old ce. Like a lot of the football minds ain't trying to keep secrets, especially if guys on their team. They might you know, it's training camp, so they might, Oh, we ain't helping you, got it. But during the season they want you to succeed. So you're like, hey, hey, could I could I watch a little takee with you? I just want to understand offense a little better so I can play better When we playing Cover two, they got an answer for it when they playing Cover three. When they're doing that, all of that and they and you need to know what they think it and why is they answer? So where the ball should be coming so we be in the game. And that's why people always say, y'all ran in Cover three and like, oh, it was so simple. It was so simple because we knew what they were gonna do, and so we knew where the answers were all the time.
Speaker 3: Hyah, ever got a weakness.
Speaker 2: They got a weakness. Communicate with the rest of your dudes too, because that helps you, Like when they know what you know and everybody knows the same thing.
Speaker 3: Together.
Speaker 2: We can be together and you can dictate where the ball goes. You can say, hey, hey, we got cover two. It's gonna be it's a three by one, but it's enough side. They running a seven on the back side and they running special. All goes special coming from the three by one side. Hey, we ain't cover three. I'm not gonna I'm I'm gonna pass this tight end because I don't want my linebacker running with fee at three three. I need my buzzer to drop a little deeper, Hey, buzz deeper so he can come off that seven. We're gonna make him throw the flat route to the running back to the tight end side. But we ain't gonna let him get that special with him running. Oh yeah, and so stuff like that. We would. We were just talking through Hey, Hey, hey Bobby, Bobby, Hey, I got him, Hey kJ hey drop Hey, I need you deeper. We don't rally. We're gonna rally to the to the flat and we do boo rally to.
Speaker 3: The flatt take it down.
Speaker 2: And we got he got. He got a choice or he could throw me the ball.
Speaker 3: You know, he don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: They don't want to do that. But you know, at times they got they got. But but that's where leadership and camaraderie and chemistry comes together because you start to to help other guys do their job. Well you know what I mean, Like, don't keep secrets out there. It ain't no point.
Speaker 3: I won't try to know what I know, no doubt, no doubt. I appreciate it for show.
Speaker 2: All love, all love. All right, Better get in there and go.
Speaker 3: Take care of that old lady, no doubt, no doubt. I appreciate you, but God must respect.
Speaker 2: Much respect and love. I'll see you at the end of the season when we got your game, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I beaver fart
Speaker 2: The volume