Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's GISs you. I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in podcast. We're going to keep talking about winter. So stay tuned.
Speaker 3: iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 1: Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: So then we go back to the present time and Rory said the same thing. She's like, you couldn't have said, you know, he took you, he bought you a book or something.
Speaker 2: And so I love when we go back to the couch and right because.
Speaker 3: Rory's like, what you show me this?
Speaker 2: You breathe because you're like, oh, thank god because that was so gnarly that. Thank god we're out of that. And then it is sort of you get that moment of levity with yeah lurline. You're like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: And then how jarring was it to see Kirk sitting at Emily's dinner table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing, Like that whole thing for me, him at the table, him playing soccer, The whole.
Speaker 1: Thing was like his line. And thank god I'm a loud crier. Otherwise erto wouldn't have heard me and I wouldn't have been rescued. Lord knows what could have happened. Here's here's the issue. Here's here's a red flag fag for me in terms of characterization. And I know Laura l I goes through the you know, the you know, Dante's layers of hell every time she passes through that foyer into the Gilmour household. Okay, so she's ridiculed and abused by Richard and Emily on a regular basis. I felt, however, that Luke coming in and having just you know, trying to hug Emily and she snaps at him about her hair, and then he has to stand there. They don't even offer him a seat. He stands there with a plate, eating and trying. They're trying to converse with him the.
Speaker 2: Part of the bit because he's not supposed to understand.
Speaker 1: I get it, But but get the guy a chair, right, I mean, I don't think it's funny to treat a character like that on the same level as it's It's like Luke was being reduced to a Kirk level where he's just not worthy of respect.
Speaker 2: Intentional.
Speaker 1: It's intentional, Yeah, why why would you do that to that character? But Laurela I is sitting there, like, Mom, get Luke a chair, what do you what are you doing? I mean her staff does anything that Emily says, and laurel I didn't even speak up for him, and he's standing going to.
Speaker 2: Be honest because the bit it plays better how it was because you realize, like I think it's amusing to see the awkwardness between Emily and Luke, right, and then Richard's chair. That's an important moment, or even Lorlai with the eyes there, you know, the whole thing, it's a part of the scene. I think it's important.
Speaker 1: I actually thought it was unfortunate because it made Emily just look like a vindictatory.
Speaker 2: That's the whole point. I think that that is the point, Like.
Speaker 1: It's too much, it's laying it on too thick for me.
Speaker 2: It tracks with her, and it's why because if she did all the right things, then we're gonna like her more. In this case, we understand why there's so much friction between Lorelai and Emily because she behaves that way. If she behaved perfectly, then we're gonna be like, Loralai, you need to be nicer to your mother. But we don't do that because we're like, oh no, she lore Li's right, So that's just my opinion on it. But that's an.
Speaker 3: Interesting point that you make, Scott, and I hadn't thought about that, but I did notice it. Back at the funeral scene, it did catch my eye that when Luke was leaving to take word to the airport, he hugged Emily and it wasn't an awkward hug like it seemed normal. And then in this back in the present time when they're at the dinner and he comes up to her and like kind of hugs her again and messes up her hair. To me, that was like, oh, okay, I guess Emily has finally accepted Luke, because that's Emily, not weird. But then, but you do make a good point about the chair, like he should have been offered to see. I mean, the staff should have made another's bring up.
Speaker 2: That's Emily. The character is so polarizing, and that's why.
Speaker 1: But she doesn't see Luke as a serious person. She doesn't see she's like she does that is not your partner in life. He's a roommate because you haven't been married.
Speaker 2: Sometimes she does.
Speaker 1: She doesn't respect him well, sometimes.
Speaker 2: She does, sometimes she doesn't, which to me, the character's written very well. Because if she was one or the other, we would either love her or we would hate her. And because she's written so complicated, like sometimes she does the right thing, sometimes she says the right thing, sometimes she says the wrong thing. You're like drawn into this character that you're like, sometimes you really like her.
Speaker 1: But that's not Luke in that scene. That is that. It's a puppet. It's a it's a bad imitation of Luke. Luke comes in and he doesn't take that, he says, Luke says, he says, can I get a chair please?
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't. I disagree with you.
Speaker 1: I totally disagree with you on this. He walks in there and says, like, could I get a chair please? It's not rude to ask for a chair when somebody hands you a place.
Speaker 2: He's not going to do that. He's just he's not going to do that. No, he's not because he's way too deferential to her. That's his mother in law ish and he's just not going to. He's just not going to. He's not going to. I don't think it's emasculating that he is just kind of like, chill about it.
Speaker 1: I don't there's another point of view where he's just he knows what he's getting into and it doesn't bother room. And it's like, of course this is going to happen, and it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: And he walks out of the house like, thank god, I'm out of there. You know, I know what I'm I know what I'm going to get in there.
Speaker 2: To me, and he just knows, and it's like and it doesn't And I don't think it does bother him because he's not there for Emily. He's there for Lorelai, and he's always if it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Bother anxious, why is he?
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, because it's still uncomfortable, because you're still going to be uncomfortable. But he's just like, you know what, this is what I deal with with this woman. Same thing with Lorelai. If this woman was so amazing and Luke thought she was fantastic, it makes Lorelai not getting along with her Laura Li's fault. It's not realized fault. That's just how I see it. He doesn't care. He's not there to get a chair or deal with Emily. He's there because.
Speaker 1: I just think he's very comfortable in his own skin. He knows who he is, and he doesn't let people do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: He never lets people do this.
Speaker 2: But I think I agree with you up until the he doesn't let people do that to him. He's so comfortable in his own skin and knows who she is, doesn't care this does.
Speaker 1: Then why is he anxious about it?
Speaker 2: Because it's just Emily. That's just how I feel.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then I mean, yeah, you can everyone can see it different because I'm sure there's people that don't see Emily the way I see Emily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot I would not. I would if if my live in if I was living with somebody and they came into my mother's house and my mother didn't offer them a chair, I would speak up. Anybody would that happened that had any kind of upbringing and.
Speaker 2: Tail as old as time mother in laws and son in laws and talk about mother in laws and daughter.
Speaker 1: But he is he isn't a son in law roommate.
Speaker 2: Well, we can get into that.
Speaker 1: Luke got the Kirk treatment and I thought, I think it's bad for the character.
Speaker 2: Got a chair.
Speaker 1: He placed, He didn't even chair. Okay, here's here's the point Luke doesn't get a seat at the table. That's the message. Okay, he's not included. Oh he's only he's only so good if if Kirk vacates his chair, then maybe he could sit.
Speaker 2: And I only disagree because he was the dunt chair, the dunce chair. Get he wasn't even there for dinner. He's coming to pick them up. He's not. It's not like he was an invited guest and didn't have a chair.
Speaker 1: It's give him a plate of food, but not a chair, a seat at the table.
Speaker 2: It's also for the bit.
Speaker 1: It's just like I know, I get it, but it's like it doesn't track. It doesn't track track perfectly.
Speaker 2: Don't sit in Richard's chair and then as soon as Kirk goes to play he sits there.
Speaker 1: Just it doesn't make Laurel I look very good. But that saying hey, Mom, get him a chair, or getting.
Speaker 2: Up to Mom, get him a chair. She should get up and get a chair. That's like that guy.
Speaker 1: Standing there like some kind of a jackass.
Speaker 2: You would never say, hey Mom, get him a chair. She's like a seventy la the staff or Laura, I should get up and get you a chair. Yes, that's my po just all the awkwardness. It's just all the awkwardness that for me, it makes the scene track because that's Emily, the awkward hug, the messing, the hair, the whole thing, and it tracks that at the funeral, she wasn't like that, because she is the queen of hot, cold, push, pull, good, bad at any rate.
Speaker 3: They all pile in the truck and go back to the diner, and this is where we find out that April wrote a letter to Luke. She went to MIT and they start talking about having a fresh kid, fresh kid, a fresh kid. So little tiny red flag on this scene is when Laura, I said, made some comment to Luke about don't you want to see your kids graduation? But he would have gone to April's graduations, so he did go to his. He did see his kids graduation worse, and she'd had multiple graduations by that point.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of storyline, I think, because this storyline would have been really good. Two years later, I will say to you, they are writing for just like you said, they didn't pay attention to season seven. They're writing for a show that was shortly after they wrapped the original series, and it all makes all If you think of it that way, all the storylines make really good sense.
Speaker 1: So but here's another example of pragmatic Luke, who's not all in the time changes people. He's halfway in. He's got to change it. He's like, nah, I do you know? He used to be all in and now he's like, well, you know, you don't get everything you want in life, and so I got it pretty good. You know, I have a kid, and I have a job, and I have you, and that's you know, it's all positive and Sonny and all that glass half full. But actually, really Luke and he doesn't want a kid not buying.
Speaker 2: It, Well, it's a kid.
Speaker 1: She's a kid buying it. Well, I'm not buying that. They're having this conversation eight years later.
Speaker 2: I already agree with you again. I agree with you there completely. But I don't think he sees his relationship with her less than because they did not have a kid together.
Speaker 3: I agree. And when you when you made that comment, Scott, when I said before that one of my favorite lines in the entire series is in this episode that was it is when he says nobody gets to have everything they want in life all in all, I think I did pretty good. Line chokes me up every time I thought. It's like, I think the definition of all in changes as we get older, and I think whether or not they should have had the kid conversation five, six, seven years ago or not. I think he's like at the point in his life as an adult that he's like, hey, this is I'm fine with this. I've got the woman I love, you know, I've got Rory, I've got April. I just really liked that line, and so I pluly agree that this should not be the first time they're discussing having children. I think that absolutely would have in reality happened years earlier. So I'd completely agree with that part. But at the same time, like it was kind of nice to see Luke finally acknowledging happiness because Luke is he's just had so much crap happened to him, like he lost his parents young and then his sister's a deadbeat, and you know, all this stuff happens to him over his life, and now he's like, kind of, for me, he kind of like reached an equilibrium with.
Speaker 1: All of it.
Speaker 3: So that that's one of my favorite Luke lines in line.
Speaker 1: I just I think they missed a lot of storytelling and a lot of fan satisfaction when they chose to give Suki children Lane children. Everybody's having children all over the place, but the focal, the most important relationship in the entire series, Luke and Lreli. There's no life, there's no growing, there's no children. I think you're going to have a lot, no generations of them, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I just think I do. Yeah, I do not agree. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I think it's a missed opportunity. I do not thought it was a massive missed opportunity, and to reduce it, to reduce the character to the point where he makes this pragmatic little speech, albe are so much. I thought it was a massive storytelling missed opportunity.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was the exact opposite, right and again because we come from two different perspectives on this, but I thought it just hit me right in the heart when he says I got it pretty good, like it's not perfect, but he's so satisfied. He's so content. He's not wanting more, wanting more, or wishing this or wishing that. He's like, I have you, I've got April, I've got Rory like I've got it all, Like he's going, I've got it all. And I actually think there's something kind of significant about this love and this partnership that they have of they didn't need children to solidify that, like they have this iconic relationship. I just don't think again that because they didn't have children together they are any less them.
Speaker 3: I think you're both right. I think I think it would have been great for this episode to open with Luke and laurel I having a five year old running around like that would have been my perfect thing. But since we didn't get that, at least we got some expression that Luke is, you know, said satisfied in his relationship with Lorelei. So if I couldn't have but I wanted, at least I got, you know, And I.
Speaker 2: So validate what you're saying. I validate what you're saying, and yet I see it so differently. I love that this couple didn't have kids like that they they had kids, like she has a kid, he has a kid. They are together despite all the things that kind of got in the way over the seven years, they're still together and they have this great relationship which not only are they best friends. They are still like attracted to each other, and yes, we have some conflict coming. Sorry sorry, sorry, but to me, they are the ultimate couple and they are the heart of this series, these four movies, these four episodes, and as you go through it, I think you'll see that. I think that's to me, the movies are about Emily and Lorli and Luke and Loreli, and that's why I sort of think Rory is a bit of a caricature, but we'll get into that. This is about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then I totally.
Speaker 1: Feels as a generation dies off, a new generation is brought into the world. I think that's better storytelling. I think Richard passes, but then there's a child between Luke and Laurela. I think that's more balanced. That's all I'm saying. Continue to continue the bloodline, continue it, continue it.
Speaker 2: And again, I respect where you and Susanna are at because you're coming at it from like you're bringing your own perspective into it, which I totally validate. But I think there's something kind of amazing about this couple being this couple. I don't think it makes them less than that they didn't have kid together.
Speaker 1: At the table, he doesn't want a kid. Give me a break. What are you talking about? You want to destroying this guy. They're destroying this character.
Speaker 2: I disagree.
Speaker 1: He's not Luke. It does. He doesn't act like Luke, he doesn't sound like Luke.
Speaker 2: He never said he didn't want a kid.
Speaker 1: He where is his self respect that he's subjecting himself at this age? How old is he now? How he's in his fifties, he's well into his fifties. And he walks into a house of a woman that he's living with and gets disrespected to that degree. Are you kidding me? He's gonna he's not thirty, he's not twenty five. He's a grown ass man. And he gets he doesn't get a seat at the table. He wasn't even and that's okay, and he just accepts it, and he's like bigger than that.
Speaker 2: I just see it so differently. That's just to make Emily Emily. He was there to pick them up. He's there to sort of save the day because of Kirk super it's all sort of like a little bit lighter.
Speaker 1: I understand that, But you don't put that character in that situation. That's all I'm saying. It makes everybody look bad.
Speaker 2: It's say it makes only one person look bad.
Speaker 1: It only makes Emily look bad. It made Laurel I look bad, and it made Luke look.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I disagree, that makes one person look bad, Emily, and that was the intention. Is not to make Luke look like weak. It's just to make Emily be Emily, because if Emily does everything perfectly, we're gonna love her and we're not meant to.
Speaker 3: So there in Paris's office, starting the surrogate conversation, and that ends with Luke like he's out, he doesn't want any part of the surrogate thing.
Speaker 2: Then we bought just to say it totally tracks that Paris is the top surrogacy doctor. Like all of how she turned out totally turned out exactly how you would think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly what we expect. So then it goes to London. Now we can meet Naomi Shropshire, who's the woman that Rory wrote the article about. She's stealing everybody's food. But it's a good conversation. They're going to write a book and it's going to be fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: Then we see that was all kind of whatever for me, Like yeah, I like it from er, I like her from me R.
Speaker 1: But it was like, yeah, I don't care about I think we're you know, we missed a major midpoint. The midpoint scene halfway through dissected this in two halves right. It ended the conversation between Luke and Laurela about having a kid, because he just she walked out. He walked out first, she walked out, there was no dialogue, and then he just said no and he walked off and that was it. So the character destruction is complete for him. And now we moved to London, okay, which I thought was I was greatly relieved because I was no longer witnessing this destruction of this character. I was now with Alex Kingston and the great Alex Kingston and Rory in London stealing food from waiters, which I thought was hysterically funny.
Speaker 2: Right, Scott, that we were ready for a little bit of levity, a little bit of a different like take us to a different place. They did.
Speaker 1: The scene was funny and it was the Yaya. But it's like we got to see Paris, yeah wow, and we got to see Luke with about an eighty IQ.
Speaker 2: You know, start where I agree with you, Scott, this was Luke at his worst. I don't I haven't seen it until basically now, but this is where I was like this.
Speaker 1: I do take it personally because I invested a lot in this character for seven years, put a lot of care. I mean, it dominated my life from two thousand and two thousand and seven. Then I see this, it's like, boy, it's it's not it's not easy. I apologize to the fans if i'm I'm being a little redundant, but it's it's hard to watch it, you know.
Speaker 2: No, I think you were right to go and try and say this is not what this character would do, because it's also like, I don't know what the word is for him thinking like he's going to sleep with these people. Not only is it buffoonish, it's also like making Sacy clowney and there's nothing clowny about it. Yeah, so it's like, yeah, I agree with you that this is the writing where I'm like, why would they do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they are iconoclasts. Nothing is sacred, and that's as well it should be to be able to write the way they write. Okay, yeah, that's why it's so funny.
Speaker 2: I guess this wasn't funny to me, it was idiotic, but whatever, it was buffoony. It was so buffoony. I'm like, this guy's not a buffoon. He knows exactly what surrogacy is. And also so do we. So it's like just definitely clowned up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And and like I said, the first time, it was kind of funny, like, oh, he doesn't understand what it is. But then like he keeps like repeating it over and over. I'm like, that's it's just dumb, Like let that go. I didn't appreciate that they kept repeating it over and over. So then at the end of the day, we go to an apartment. We don't know whose apartment it was at first a great reveal.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know who she was talking to, right exactly is she talking to Laura La on the phone, and what's going on?
Speaker 2: See it? I mean I obviously know it was coming this time. The first time you see it. Had I been in the movie theater, I think I would have applauded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, applauded, Yes, definitely. We lost her. She said that go find the applause, you'll find him there you go, Logan's on screen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then we find out that it's Logan's apartment. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas about finding another woman's things in the closet, so we kind of get the feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah again again, the magic of this relationship is now completely null. Now we're talking about casual relations on both parts of these characters.
Speaker 2: It totally tracks for me with something Rory would do. That's my thing with it. It's like, first of all, I love the reveal of Logan's.
Speaker 1: It's not Gilmore Girls, it's.
Speaker 2: Something, but so is Gilmore Girls because.
Speaker 1: A friendly, friendly whole show. And now it's like modern.
Speaker 2: It's exactly what she did with Dean. It's really not different. She's definitely got some like relationship issue, right, we're dealing with that. She's got this Paul guy who she can't even remember. It's totally ridiculous. And she's obviously like still entangled with Logan. And there's more to come with all this, but like, I love the reveal of it, and I love the complexity of Rory's messes up relationships constantly, constantly, And I don't know if it's because she's got like a messed up daddy issue with Christopher, like it all tracks like some psychologists would have a field day because she constantly sabotages her own relationships and situation.
Speaker 1: She watched her mom do.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, correct, correct, we watched her mom.
Speaker 1: Do it for seven years. Yeah. The Maxes and the Diggers and the Christopher's and who the who you know, whoever you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, Rory seems to think she can have her cake and eat it too. Like there's multiple times where she's got two guys at the same time and I can't remember. I don't think we really saw Loralai doing that, except, you know, maybe when she slept with Christopher after the ultimatum. But I think it's a little bit different. Rory's always on this pecifically.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mind, Like she's obviously sort of quote cheating on this Paul guy, and we obviously don't know now.
Speaker 1: She doesn't remember him. He evaporates in her memory, so it's not really cheating technically.
Speaker 2: So stupid, but she knows that Logan's obviously got others or someone else who don't know at this point, But she doesn't have any problem with fit. And that's where you're like, this.
Speaker 3: Character is so flawed. Yeah, Like she keeps saying, Oh, I keep forgetting to break up with Paul.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Paul.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe she doesn't see it as cheating because she keeps forgetting about Paul. But I think Paul would probably see it as cheating if we were to ask him.
Speaker 2: It's just weird Rory doesn't. She just is so like self centered and not caring about other someone else. It's like, I don't know. I thought it was very telling about the character, but also I like it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to she's dating the guy two years. Yeah, and she doesn't remember the guy. I mean, that's that's that doesn't sound like she's mentally all there. It sounds like she's is there's some kind of disease where she can date somebody for two years and like actually not remember them because there's is it because there's so many people that she's dating that.
Speaker 2: This is very weird and.
Speaker 1: Very odd.
Speaker 2: She's that self centered. It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Okay, So then Luke's diner the Wi Fi password keeps changing. That is funny. Barra Casey in that scene.
Speaker 1: She was she was in that first table by herself. She's she's sick because the casting director of seasons two through seven, and then episodes as well. She was marrak Casey did not cast the pilot, but she did come on season two. She came on season two.
Speaker 2: So hysterical bit with the Wi Fi password and it's like me a minute to get it.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. Oh, that was so funny, so funny, and it was great to see Luke, you know, because Taylor and Luke always butted heads through the whole seven seasons, and so it was kind of fun to see them like coming together on something when Taylor kind of does Luke this favor by screaming at everybody about the Wi Fi and so then like Luke does him a solid by.
Speaker 2: And just a funny why. I mean, at first it took me a minute. He's just like, it's Hamburger five four to two? Did you put the exclamation by?
Speaker 1: Like it's so funny, But it was so dumb right that he doesn't know what a Sarah it is, But he's clever enough.
Speaker 2: To thank you. That's why I agreed. Look, you and I are on the same page on the surrogate thing. It's absurd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's nice to finally be on a page with you. Amy back where I belong.
Speaker 3: We have Paris in the diner, Rory comes to the diner, Rory in Paris on Yeah, okay, so the Troubadour's sister. Did you guys see who that was?
Speaker 1: That's that's Sam Phillips. No, it's not Sam. Sam Phillips sounded.
Speaker 3: Like it's Louise Goffin. Who's that Carol King's daughter?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, yes, who actually sings the theme song? Right right.
Speaker 3: I loved that. I thought it was that was the Troubadour was chasing her.
Speaker 1: I associate a Goffin's voice with Sam Phillips because I hear that. I hear that song so often. You think.
Speaker 3: So that that was a fun, a fun cameo.
Speaker 2: There lots of good Easter eggs.
Speaker 1: She's a nifty singer too, and a guitar player. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So then Paris and Rory are riding around on Kirk's uber cart.
Speaker 2: Hilarious.
Speaker 3: And then we find out that Paris and Doyle split up. That was a bummer because I thought they were perfect together.
Speaker 2: There's a little sort of wink wink somewhere where it's mentioned he's a screenwriter because he is.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then they pull into the driveway at Lane's house. Did you see they almost out on that cart? They almost went flying. I missed that. Bob and the two women were like grabbing the sides.
Speaker 2: Lane has moved to Suki's house. Yes, I'd like to see them almost eat it. I need to go back and watch that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go back to it because it's pretty funny. I don't think that was planned, but they both had to grab at it sides and Alexis almost fell off.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go back to uh because we missed a really great Luke line when he called Laura l I when Paris came in. He said, I've got uh two arm wrestling breeders here, and tell Laura, I've got two arm wrestling breeders here in Mischel. It's the only time I've ever seen Michelle at a loss for words. He goes because because two of her breeders were in there, she brought him. We'll move forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was good, and Luke is always a good there's.
Speaker 1: Always He's never been at a loss for words until that moment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Lane and Zach's house, now we've got the band, right, We've got gies.
Speaker 1: That was pretty great.
Speaker 2: It was very almost suddenly happening without shoving it in our faces.
Speaker 1: Right, It was so gradual. They were just showing up and they played us song and it was like a Joe Jackson song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. One important point that was in this scene that was very small was Lurlai calls Rory and Rory says she stayed at her friend Beatie's. So she's lying to Laura.
Speaker 2: In London.
Speaker 3: In London, and she said, I stayed with Dede. So we see Rory lying to Laura I about being with Logan. So that's an important informational point is that Laura I does not know about that because we don't We don't know when Logan and Rory started seeing each other again, like or did it right?
Speaker 2: We don't know anything, so.
Speaker 1: That I did.
Speaker 3: I noted that when I was watching it this time. Okay, So then one of my favorite scenes, we go back to Emily and Richard's house and Emily's wearing the.
Speaker 2: I tried so hard to find that, Sure, you have no idea. I've been trying to find all the clothes, which I'll tell everybody about later, but.
Speaker 3: H but she's still wearing it with her pretty gold necklace that she wore throughout her personal I loved it with the T shirt. Is this classic?
Speaker 2: Looking good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And so they have a conversation. Yeah, it's a good conversation about decluttering her life and Laurel wise like you.
Speaker 2: There's a shout out to to what's her face Marie Condo, Yes, which I was like, Marie Conda was eight years ago. Feels like I know it was like two years ago.
Speaker 3: Okay. And then Emily talks about the envelope in the safe that's marked body shipping cash.
Speaker 2: God, that was so fun.
Speaker 3: Oh my, that whole scene was greatly.
Speaker 2: I didn't have and Emily and the jeans shook the world at the time too. It was great.
Speaker 3: Scott, what did you think of that scene?
Speaker 1: I don't know. The discussion of going to Washington State to be euthanized is morbid to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was rap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to hear that. It's not the it's not the show. Sorry, it's just this is a film. This is a some scenes just I thought, hmm.
Speaker 2: I know, you're You're right. There are things about these movies that are awesome and I'm so glad we have them. And then there's things that you're like, yeah, so I remember not liking it. The first time I watched this. I was so disappointed. I was like that, this is not good, and I kept hanging on, like this is going to be good, This is going to be good. Now there, I think they're much much better.
Speaker 1: I think the real takeaway from the scene is that Emily woke or lie up a little bit about the true nature of relationship with Blue because that you guys aren't real partners, you're just roommates. Yeah, she said, I had a real partner for fifty years. Yeah, he's gone on and we had something real. You don't have anything just awful, awful that.
Speaker 2: She says that awful. Yeah, I agree, horrendous.
Speaker 3: I did like, now, Amy, did you're from northern California? Did you catch the Winchester Mystery Family rest?
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, of course that seems like a very hour specific two hours from my house. Yeah, I've actually never been there.
Speaker 3: I never have either. Yeah, it's just a very California specific reference. So I thought it was interesting that Laura like, we don't go because it's like it would be challenging to go because like where am I It's too far to just like go from here too far to go to la and you're like, am I staying in San Luis obispo, Like I don't want to do that?
Speaker 1: What right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I just thought that was just excited. I didn't think it was something that Laurela I would necessarily have known about. But anyways, we couldn't talk about that in culture maybe. So then the final scene of the episode is back in the town square. We've got cute little towns, people walking around in snowflake costumes, the Troubadours singing fountains of Wayne's song. The dog is dressed as Luke.
Speaker 2: That was like the best planka and that is the original Polenka. That is the original Polanka fourteen years old.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: So this is the nail in the coffin of the surrogate idea. Laurel I tells uh Paris that it's off. Kirk has now moved on to another career because his uber career.
Speaker 2: Is getting sued by Uber.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then the therapy conversation Emily, Emily totally baited.
Speaker 2: Larela Luke knew and Luke's like I tried to warn you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like waving his hands I thought it was a cute ending, and then we get very good ending, so you can't go wrong and parton song, I.
Speaker 2: Literally wanted to cry because I'm like, oh man, it made me feel I don't know the word other than melancholy, like I was happy, I was sad, I was like or bitter sweet. It was like I loved it and then I'm like, oh no, and in my heart, I just it's sank because I'm like, I need more of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was you want to know what's gonna what else is going to come next?
Speaker 2: Well, and I need more now, I don't know. It made me feel a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's all right. Are going to rate this? It's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, Suzanne, what are you going to give it?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm going to give this it's a whole.
Speaker 1: New criteria now because it's a film, nothing we have nothing to measure it against yet, right, I can't.
Speaker 2: Just give it one score. I feel like I have to give it like a few scores, like a nostalgia score, a score, a score if I only watched this, a score like I've got a lot.
Speaker 1: Of Okay, how about a score a nostalgia score, hearkening back to is it similar to Gilmore Girls? And did it make you give you the field? And then another score? Do you think it succeeded in defining its own space as a modern Gilmore Girl? So let's those are the two scores as a film. Do you think it was successful as a film? Okay? The confusing enough, I have more.
Speaker 3: I know. I had to write it down. What we're doing here for nostalgia's fake. I loved seeing the town people again. I liked seeing Jason Styles again. So I'm going to give that an eight. I have to pick a measuring stick, don't I. Oh yeah, I am going to give that.
Speaker 2: Eight.
Speaker 3: Singing Rabbi dolls at Loralized House.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: Rating it just as a film kind of on its own merit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give it seven a Candies T shirts.
Speaker 1: Amy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is so complicated for me. I'm going to give it like an eight for nostalgia. Also, I was so happy, like there were so many things. I love the fashion and there's so many things. I love the seeing all these people. I love the Logan reveal. I'll give it eight. Logan reveals right, like there's something in this that I'm just like so happy about as a whole. I have one more thing to add to it as a whole. I'll also give it an eight, like it was like, yeah, I like this crew to Gilmore sort of how I feel about it wholeistically like Bird's Eye View seven. There's some things that are wrong with it, but then like for my heart, I still give it a ten. So I'm kind of giving it all these scores because it's just too complicated for me to just give it one score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for an esnalgia score, I'm going to give it a sixer a five because of his character instruction two of the main characters, Rory and Luke Pigs, I'll give it to five. Pick pigs, okay, five Kirk picks. As a standalone film, drama, edy film, I'm going to give it Actually it's more of a comedy. Well, it's drama, drama, dramedy. Yeah, I'm going to rate it much higher. I'm going to give it a a nine. As a standalone I think it really I just think some of the performances were all so solid. I think the look of it was superior. It's a world that I would, you know, I would go watch the sequel if it was a standalone I would, you know, I wouldn't want to know more about these characters, and I want to laugh more and and I want and I that level of drama. It's it's rare to get such a deep level and such frequent comedy out of something that can also be so smartly dramatic, really really well done. So I'll give it, you know, you know, Emily ten, What did I say? Ten? Did I say ten? Nine? Emily, Emily pairs of genes.
Speaker 2: I also think eight years ago I would have given it a four, and now I give it an eight. I really did not like it eight years ago, so eight years from now it is gonna be really good.
Speaker 1: It definitely crackled with energy. It crackled with the comedic energy throughout. No matter what the situation, you were going to get rewarded with crackling comedy.
Speaker 2: I understand why everyone wanted to do it, like you go, I get it, I get it. You know it does. There is a hint for me of sex in the City to the and just like that, where at first I was like, I hate this because it's not sex in the City, but now I like it, so I think that's happening for me too, Like is it the same? No, but it has enough of the same that I'm that I'm super into it and want more.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's going to wrap her up Winter episode one of the seasons from Netflix. Thank you, Susanne, Thank you waymy. It's always a pleasure. Rattling swords, sparring, and joy.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be sparring again. We really did not spar all of season seven, and I think that's because it was kind of season seven sort of just chugs along, but it's not.
Speaker 1: So there's there's some really strong episodes and in season seven. I have to give it credit anyway, that's gonna do it. Thanks for your downloads, your cards and letters. We love you, we need you, UH can't live without you. And that's going to do it. And remember we and I I'm all in, Stay safe, everybody off again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.