Speaker 1: Welcome in to Bears Weekly powered.
Speaker 2: By IGS Energy, a Chicago Bears Network production.
Speaker 3: Bears Weekly has brought you by Advocate Healthcare.
Speaker 4: I've let it go physical efferently.
Speaker 2: CD Dewah, Connie's Piazza, IGS Energy and Mener Liked.
Speaker 3: Here are your hosts, Jeff Jilliac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekick Tom the Surfmaster Thayer.
Speaker 5: Well. After facing three straight second year quarterbacks, the Bears now deal with a crafty, consistent sixteen year veteran Matthew Stafford and the La Rams at Soldier Field. On Sunday, Jeff joniak on Bears Weekly with my Super Bowl winning Bears guard and partner Tom Thayer. Here on ESPN one thousands of Bears Radio Network joining us this week as well for a couple of segments. Jim Miller will be along the former Bears QB. We've got Roma Doonsday coming up, Big Tom. We got the Voice of the Rams, JB. Long, we got Coordinator Talk. We've got all kinds of surprises for you tonight. We're audio tonight in the ESPN studio, spinning the dials. Charlie Bevins and thanks to our producers Dan Brilly and Jordan Trunip, and the executive producer of the Bears Ready Network is Eric Ostrotski.
Speaker 6: Tom, we got the Rams coming to town. Baby, Let's go big, Jeff.
Speaker 7: I feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz because I click my heels and I just want to be home. And I think for the next two weeks, we're gonna learn a lot more about the Bears, about what type of control they have on offense and how aggressive they can be defensively.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited to see what happens. Yeah, it's gonna be fun to watch.
Speaker 5: Always respect Sean McVay, I always respect Matthew Stafford. They're just brilliant football people, brilliant minds, and that alone can be a challenge for a team no matter what else is on the roster. When you got a Matthew Stafford and a guy like that particular head coach making decisions in calm plays.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nothing's gonna be He's in the NFL, and that's the great thing about this league. But I think if you can be the Chicago Bears and you can go home and you can have a performance that you can be proud of. What a sense of accomplishment, what a sense of improvement. That's exactly what this football team is looking for. And this is what you want to look forward to seeing.
Speaker 5: All Right, Bears injury report pretty long, Bakers doesn't on there, Darnell right limited, Kevin Byrd unable to go to day, Keenan Allen though back on a limited basis, trying to get back on the field. Get the three guys that are your top three weapons in the receiver game on the field for Sunday. That would be great as the Bears look to win their seventh in a row at home dating back to last season. That's the longest active streak in the NFL. So some good news. Billings also been practice. Maybe that's a little rest, I don't know, but he has a sore knee as well, so there's others on there. But don't want to lose Billings, certainly not against this Rams team that does like to run the ball as well with kyn.
Speaker 6: I don't want to lose any of those guys.
Speaker 7: But the real reality of it is, per game day, if you're gonna say that you're healthy and ready to go on a game day activation, you got to be ready to go. For four quarters. You can't go out there and say I'll give it a try in the first quarter and if it doesn't work out, then put in my substitution, because then that roster is down one guy. So some of these veterans and some of these young guys are gonna have to be honest with the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: All right, let's talk about the Bears run game for a minute. Had a chance the offensive assistants were available this week, so I had a chance to talk with Chad Morton, the Bear's running back coach, and I asked him, Hey, is it possible that in this league running backs can press a little bit and maybe like quarterbacks or receivers who fight the football whatever. Here's his answer as he goes into what's been going on with the Bears rushing offense.
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely so do you see some of that now?
Speaker 9: Even I don't really see it right now. I don't. I just think it's just like everybody has to be better, you know what I mean. It's not it's not a running back, it's not a you know, just the old lie.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The receivers are a big.
Speaker 9: Factor in that. The tight ends, even the quarterbacks carrying out fakes, you know, being good with the motions, just everything. So there's just a lot of stuff that we all have to get better at. And it was coaches too. You know you're better at you know, creating great plays and you know we all have a part in this thing.
Speaker 5: So as a coach, you as a former NFL player, when you see a guy pressing, like, what's the what are the signs.
Speaker 4: That you Oh, that's a good.
Speaker 1: One, a sign of something you went through.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just when you start looking for you know, you don't trust stuff. You know, you don't. You don't trust where the intended run is supposed to go. You just you know, get the ball and you start dancing around and looking everywhere else where you know, besides whereas the ball is supposed to go, and not pressing it because you just want to hurt and get there. You see open space, so you just take off that way without because every every run is designed right, you got to press it, get the flow of the linebackers, get the linemen going, cutting it back, whatever it is. So when you start seeing that, that's when you really got to get on the guys and just really tell them about trusting it and just stick with the details, the design of the play, and then just execute the best of your ability.
Speaker 5: There's still a point of attack, and there's cutbacks are welcome and so forth. But it is a there is a design point of attack on even outside.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I mean all these runs, I mean you just you just read it out. I mean there's there's keys and things that backs are reading. So I mean it's really pretty simple.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 9: And then with the guys that separate themselves is after they get through the hole and then they you know, then their natural ability takes over and then that's the ones that separate. But like I tell these guys, from point A to point B, you guys should all look the same that first cut. It should all be the same. Then after that you do what you do. If you're a big guy, run them over. If you're a quicker guy, you can make a miss whatever, or do both, you know. But we have to be detailed from the running back standpoint of A to B where we get the handoff, we you know, press the hole and they'll make our cut from there and then we go.
Speaker 5: All right, Tom there, Tom and I can see each other on zoom. He's nodding his head affirmatively. So I'll give you the floor and Jim Miller will join us. Now he's on with us here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears. Ready, Now we're go ahead, Tommy.
Speaker 7: Very specific to the run game, and I've been saying this for the last couple of weeks. The way you want to get the most improvement in your running game and the best evaluation of how the guys are doing in front, you got to hit the hole on the inside running game. You got to trust that the offensive line is going to develop a hole from the first level to the second level, and then you become a running back. So Chad Morton, he's wise beyond his years and he's got experience. Because it's exactly what I've been saying the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Say Jim, I'm sure you agree as well. How you doing, by the way, Well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm doing great. Obviously. You know what the Bears to succeed, you know, a very exciting year with a lot of goodwill that has been built up, and you know, like we said, I think it's going to take to week eight or week nine. You know, it's a shame that you mentioned Jeff that they missed the opportunities against these young quarterbacks. I mean, Anthony Richardson didn't complete fifty percent of his passes, and so now the test becomes tougher. But the offense has to get up and running and humming minimum by week nine because week twelve all those division games. Here's what I'd say. Obviously they got to run the ball a lot better. You know, you mentioned Tom about right being limited. They've had some issues up on their offensive line. And as Tom just mentioned on the inside zone run and Chad Morton met this is not hard stuff, all right. You just played a basically a four to five defense. If you're running inside zone run, if the weak side backer crosses basically the center, you're cutting that sucker back. If he flows over the top, you know it'll open up either front side or backside, depending on what the backers do. And I'd say the same for the outside zone run. It's not complicated stuff. But they have to run the football better to really protect a young quarterback fifty two times throwing I think probably all Chicago's No, that's not the map the roadmap you want for young Caleb Williams.
Speaker 5: No, Jim, what are other observations. We talked to you a couple of weeks ago. You're gonna be joining us every couple weeks here. What are the things that you noticed so far about the Bears.
Speaker 10: Well, I just think for him, like the two interceptions obviously forcing the ball, he's going to learn that. You just got to move on your read. There'll be a point in time in the future where he'll be able to get that stuff. And like the one that bounced off of Roma Doonsay, that was actually it hit Roma Donsay in the chest. Yes, but it's a tight throw. I think we know it's double coverage there. Just move on and your read with different golt of jerseys. You're the coverage is going to get you to the right guy, but you've got to get through your reads with speed set and throw an accurate ball. Last week, I think we all know, for granted credit Kleby got the two touchdown passes, but the three turnovers, the four sacks. It's got to stop guys and they got to be able to run the ball.
Speaker 6: Yes, and to me, the play action plays off of that. Tom. We saw it work. We saw it work.
Speaker 5: First couple weeks there was only eleven play action attempts according to Pro Football Focus. I haven't checked what it was this past week, but it definitely paid off with the big play to Donsay.
Speaker 6: We'll be talking to him later on of the show. So two things there.
Speaker 7: You know, Caleb from the podium on Wednesday, he was talking about how he needs this running game, excuse me, to average four yards per carry, and if you can do that, you can really set yourself up offensively. But if you're averaging four yards of carry, it can be a lot more influential in the past play action passing game.
Speaker 6: So that's what you need to get out of it.
Speaker 7: It's not looking for unrealistic yards attached to the run game. It's just got to have a nuts enough of an attachment where it's an influence.
Speaker 5: And Jim, this Rams defense that we look to look forward to this matchup. I mean, obviously, if you look at the numbers, you're gonna think this offense, these defense is really poor. They're they're lasting the league in a lot of categories. They've been up a lot of yards a lot. They're not good against the run, but they're a lighter front. They're a three to four defense, but at the same time. They put a lot of pressures on brock Perty last week. They got a lot of guys that can get to the quarterback. It's a young, young defense with a bunch of hungry guys, many rookies and undrafted players.
Speaker 6: They just play a little gritty.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've watched them at all in the first three weeks of the season.
Speaker 10: Look at last week. I mean they did not lead the entire game versus the forty nine ers, and then the momentum and they carry it and they get the victory literally the last minute of the game. So this team will fight, and they scheme well with Sean McVay and what they do offensively defensively, Like you said, they are very young, but these guys aren't scared. Braden Fisk who they drafted defensive end, defensive tackle from Florida State, Jared Verse, the first round pick who they also drafted from Florida State, and that Cam Kitchens is a big safety.
Speaker 11: That is a ballhawk.
Speaker 10: So they are young, they're inexperience, they don't know, they'll try a lot of things. They don't have Aaron Donald, so you're right, they get pushed around, but they fight. They fight, and with Jared go or not Jared Golf, but Matthew Stafford as their quarterback. They do not quick because Matthew will compete the entire time, so it gives him a puncher's chance, that's for sure. But they are not the legitimate strong team they once were. They are rebuilding with young players.
Speaker 5: And their defensive coordinator, first year Chris Shula, with a senior assistant and associate head coach Sean Desai.
Speaker 6: So there's gonna be some Fangio defense in here as well.
Speaker 5: All Right, when we come back, we're gonna listen into some of the work of Eric Washington at the podium today as the Bears get ready for the Rams. Jim Miller in Tom there, I'm Jeff Joniak on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty four years Chef Chef on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by Igs.
Speaker 6: Energy, Jeff and Tom and Jim Miller.
Speaker 5: I got the guys here, former Bears with great insight. Good to have you guys along as the Bears get ready to meet the Rams, Eric Washington in the Bears defensive cord in there a couple of minutes from the podium as we do each Thursday, looking at what Sean McVay and that offense is cooking up for the Bears.
Speaker 8: It's big play capable. There's a lot of things that happen before the ball is snap. We've got to do a good job with our alignments, with our assignments, and just making sure we have our feet in the ground ready to play.
Speaker 2: How does after sixteen seasons in the NFL Matthew Stafford still challenge his.
Speaker 8: Arm talent has not waned at all. He can make every throw on the field. He knows exactly what you're in, so our disguise will be critical and he just he knows how to get the football out of his hand, how to get them into it.
Speaker 12: I would say an ideal plays from.
Speaker 7: Facing the second here quarterback in your first three games to Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 12: How does that show up just on the field, just his experience, his poise, his command of the offense, his ability to communicate to all all ten pieces to be able to id us without a whole lot of extra things.
Speaker 8: That offense is typically used to help the quarterback position. Just a lot of experience, a lot of accomplishments, a lot of things that he's seen.
Speaker 12: You guys put a lot of big bos.
Speaker 10: So Jack Sambarn's not out there a lot, but he made two real nice plays in the red zone, especially the interception.
Speaker 12: And what you thoughts about him.
Speaker 8: Well, the fact that when Jack comes into the game, he's the last couple of weeks, I mean, we bring him in the game in Houston, gets a sack. He comes in the game last week, uh, and he gets his hands up and he for he helps to create the the takeaway deep in the red zone. He got his actually tip the football. He's just ready to play. He's a great equalizer for us, very versatile player, extremely intelligent, smart and works his tail off er.
Speaker 1: What have you learned about your defense the past three.
Speaker 8: Weeks when the offense is not.
Speaker 10: Their standards and you know, so you guys are kind of right out there and situations you don't want to be in, but you're still getting tho stuffs.
Speaker 12: What have you learned about the guys and kind of their resolve.
Speaker 8: What I know about our players, and I'll say this every week, is we have great character and and and that's you know, we're not we don't we're not separated from the results of the game. But I've been watching this now since I came on board. The players work hard, they're dedicated, they're very hum there's a lot of humility, there's selflessness, and they're up to the challenge. They're focused on what they have to do to help us win week in and week out. And they're their own worst critic.
Speaker 6: Yeah they are.
Speaker 5: You know, I talked a couple of guys in the locker about that. They don't want to give up the big play. Obviously, they got to continue to stop the run. But the big plays and no matter when they happen, obviously it's not part of the plan. Tom this man, he gets to the podium and he's very direct.
Speaker 1: Every day.
Speaker 6: He mad a few words, but he gets right to the point.
Speaker 5: And what he had to say about the Rams and what they're facing, it's right to the point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, why should you shy away from it? Because you have to know exactly what you're looking at When you talk about the Bears defense this week, it's not going to be about Levis throwing in embarrassing interception that results in a touchdown. It's not going to be about to Anthony Richardson throwing an interception in the end zone.
Speaker 6: To Tremaine Edmonds.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be about individual defensive players making great man demand plays, whether it's coverage on the back end, a defensive lineman beating an offensive lineman instantly and creating a sack out of it, or having those tackles that we've come to expect from TJ and Tremaine. So it is going to be about defensive skill effort more than looking for a quarterback to make a mistake.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you, Jim, Without Cooper Cup and without Pouka Nakua, you look at what they have at receiver and you're like, okay, two two that has been making plays. Okay, Kolby Parkinson, a former Seattle Seahawk. They invested in a free agency three or twenty two million dollars deal. Then Kyron Williams. They've got Blake Korham in there, but they haven't used him yet. Just eight carries. So you look at this team and the offensive line has five guys on the injury reserve list right now. So but yet they go and beat the forty nine ers because Matthew Stafford knows exactly what he's doing up there. What would you do against this Rams offense if you're the Bears defense, Because for the I mean, he hasn't done this a ton. He did a lot of twelve personnel in this game, and that's two tight ends, one back, and that kind of made a difference for the Rams.
Speaker 10: Well, I We'll say this because of his offensive line and without the receivers, his release time is a lot longer. Even the NFL tracked it. He before all the injuries, he's getting the ball out of his hand about two point six seconds. After all the injuries closer to three, closer to three seconds actually two point nine.
Speaker 6: So that means opportunity, opportunity.
Speaker 10: There's opportunity. But like Tom said, it's not gonna be just a flat out stupid bad read by Matthew Stafford that leads to a turnover. It's gonna have to be You're gonna have to work for it. Obviously, strip sack, fumble, tip ball at the line of scrimmage, you know where you bet the ball, like what the happened to c Dra Stroud last week. Because you're not going to fool Matthew Stafford, and every play looks the same. You know, this is a team that when they run their play action, it looks exactly like the run play. So it causes you pause. They try to put you in conflict as a defense, and it doesn't matter. Granted, we know Kupp and pukin the corp are great players, but they're still going to run their offense. They're going to do what they do with kyn Williams. I think he's had a touchdown in six straight games running basically ride thirty four at the goal line, and nobody seems to be able to stop it. So this team will fight. They're young, they're inexperience because and they don't know, especially on defense. And look what they accomplished last week by not knowing. I mean that's a division rival opponent in the forty nine ers that they should know inside and out. But yet these young players on defense don't. They're just out there playing and much like the Bears did two years ago, throwing the young bucks out there and see what they can do. Right, yet they're still winning games.
Speaker 5: This is what I love about you. You can't take the quarterback out of the man. Tell everybody what ride thirty four is because I don't know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, it's an inside zone run that they run all the time, and it can bust both front side depending on how the linebackers flow and how the guard's double team up to the backers. But it could break front side or it could break backside. Like I said, if those linebackers flow over the top, more than likely it's going to cut back where that voided area is because they flow too far. Centers able to work up kind of get that little backer in the mix as well as pick up the mic backer, and you got that backside cutback lane on'd ride thirty four.
Speaker 5: Dom I guarantee your Ride thirty four was not in your playbook.
Speaker 7: Well, we didn't have the ride part. We had a thirty four. We had a slant twenty four, slant forty five, but we kind of took the backside look option out a bit and we created a point of attack. We offer that to Walter and then he took the two and a half yards that we offered him, and then he added an extra two and a half to it and we got five yards of carry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so in other words, you did have ride thirty four. It was Walter Payton, Right, exactly, good point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Hey Jim, a broad scope before we let you go here tonight, and thank you again for joining guess love to have you back on here in season. The division, it's looking tougher than we even thought, right with the Minnesota Vikings and the way they've been playing, I just have been very very impressed with their defense and what else? In about a minute of time, can you explain what else has caught your eye league wide other than that Minnesota defense and what they're doing over there with sam Donold.
Speaker 10: Well, I think you hit on a good point. Probably the two most polished teams that weren't choppy through the first three weeks, you'd probably have to say is Minnesota and probably Buffalo. Right, everybody else has been pretty Everybody else has been pretty choppy, is what i'd say. Offensive lineman, there's already ninety over ninety offensive one linemen hurt so pass protection, yeah, what, there's ninety offensive linemen around the league. There were a couple who is it Drew Dolman today in Caleb McGarry of Atlanta. Both those guys are so there's like ninety guys around the league. So offensive line is a problem. Quarterbacks are getting hurt, and obviously the sack totals, right, the Bears had four sacks last week, got them. The sack totals are out of control. I mean, look at the Deshaun Watson in two out of the three games he was sex seven times and two of them ridiculous. The sacks going on.
Speaker 6: Well, this is an epithet, that's an epidemic.
Speaker 5: Does this have anything to do with how things are done in the offseason, preseason and leading up to Week one?
Speaker 7: Well, let me leave to a real wise crack, because we hear that, Oh, the first three or four games of the regular season are just an extension of the preseason, because that's when teams and players really get their feet wet. Look at where they're at in terms of the health status of the league. When you have a passive preseason, you increase the chances for injuries.
Speaker 6: Once you turn the dial up to ten, you.
Speaker 10: Gotta play football in order to hone your craft. I mean, what was Carolina thinking by not playing Bryce Young in any preseason game? Has that due to arrived yet or something that we all don't know about. I mean, not the guy's benched you can't even get one snap in the preseason in a new offense. Shameful what the Carolina Panthers did to him.
Speaker 5: Hey, big Jim, appreciate you, buddy, and now we'll talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 10: All right, thank you, all right, guys, go Bears.
Speaker 6: All right, that's Jim Miller.
Speaker 5: When we come back, Roma Doonzay Jones the program as the Bears prepare for the Rams.
Speaker 6: Here on esp and Chicago and the Bears Radio Networks.
Speaker 3: We welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Rainio Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears.
Speaker 1: Jeff joan Well.
Speaker 5: Here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network, Jeff Joniak and Tom Thair and our special guest this week is Bears rookie wide receiver Rama Doonzay.
Speaker 4: How you doing man, Well, I'm doing well. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 5: Congratulations on your first NFL Touchdow. We got to start there because you and Caleb. I told Caleb the other day I interviewed him for something down the road, and I said, you guys just like little kids playing in the playground after you just did something fun. That's what it looked like. Yeah, and give me your perspective out of all how it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it was awesome.
Speaker 13: You know, it was a great moment, honestly, you know, something that I'm forever gonna cherish. You know, hopefully you know, many more moments like that to come. But it's always special, you know, regardless of you know, the moment or what was going on, like scoring your first NFL touchdown, like that's something you got to celebrate and have fun with and a great memory for.
Speaker 4: So it was awesome.
Speaker 5: And then the ongoing discussion about the ball and you know he's graciously going to lot to keep it for perpetuity.
Speaker 4: Yes, so graciously.
Speaker 1: That'll cost you something, right, It's gonna cost you something, bro.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 7: I'm kind of thinking about your career going forward and well, taking a step back to your college career. Your sophomore year you got four hundred and fifteen yards receiving your junior year you got eleven hundred and forty five. Why was there an eight hundred yard increase in that one year? Because I'm kind of thinking ahead for you as as terms of where you're going.
Speaker 13: I think it was just you know, continue to develop as a wide receiver.
Speaker 4: You know, I think that jump from high.
Speaker 13: School to college wide receiver is a big, big jump and play big jump in you know, things you need to know to you know, be proficient out there on the football field. So you know, finally clicking for me as well as you know, coaching staff putting me in positions that have success and have to credit them as well. You know, I had a foundation built from the previous staff, and then when a new staff came in, they did a great job of you know, utilizing my skill set within the offense, and you know, both those elements came together for a successful year.
Speaker 7: Okay, now jumping ahead to your NFL career up unto this point. They often talk about the window of opportunity for a quarterback that it's a lot smaller in the NFL than it was in college. The window of opportunity for a receiver. Is it equally as small or are you in control of that window of opportunity?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not sure.
Speaker 13: I haven't looked at it, you know, in in that light, but I think it's it's definitely small regardless of what position you play here at the NFL. You know, so you have to make the most of the opportunities, for sure, But I think it's definitely, you know, a smaller window at wide receiver, just especially in today's game when you know there's so many you know, great wide receivers out there and the way that the game is being played nowadays, with wide receivers being a great asset to offenses, you know, something that every organization is looking to add, you know, or improve upon. So you know, just making sure I'm making the most of my plays and and and understanding that every time I step up a step out on that field, I want to you know, be be, be explosive.
Speaker 5: Hey, Tom, you broke down for the Bear's playbook this week, the forty seven yard catch the longest by a Bear pass play this year by Roma Dunza from Caleb Williams. I love how you broke that down. And now let's put two good minds together, two former NFL players break that thing one more time. What stuck out to you on that play? For for you, Tom, and then you roam.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm Romama nex offensive lineman. So anytime you can incorporate play action pass into the protection, because I think it's a more aggressive type of pass protection for the offensive line and you kind of you can use a little bit more on the line deception, but the way that you know, Dj Moore helped you that intersection and then as soon as you got around that corner, you were kind of put that defensive back in the trailing position and then you take it from there. Because it wasn't a huge window of opportunity as I was alluding to, but it was an incredible completion that I think meant a lot to Caleb's confidences.
Speaker 13: Yeah, no, absolutely, and I'll echo whatever everything you said about offensive line. You know, it starts with them up front and and then me and didn't.
Speaker 1: You're just sucking up to him now, I'm kidding.
Speaker 13: You know, without the protection, I'm not getting that ball. So yeah, Caleb put it in the perfect spot. You know, I had to defend a little uh a little bit over my shoulders, so I knew I was gonna, you know, try and catch that one over the shoulder to protect the throw, and Caleb put it right where needed to be on my house soldier and was able to make the play.
Speaker 5: And you were blown by that guy. He runs a four to three. Oh yeah, yeah, you got you got up on top of him. So that's pretty damn good, right there. I'll take that every day, Uh have you you know, it's it's uh in college when you got a really powerful offense like you did, and Tom left out the best part in his All American FBS best sixteen and forty yards receiving last year. It's a it's a fireworks show. Do you do you have an appreciation as we move into a week four just how hard it is to score points in the NFL?
Speaker 13: Oh man, No, definitely, you know, and for first for our first few weeks, Like it's definitely an adjustment for sure. Like just the melody of the game is like, man, why are we not scoring every driver? Why are we not you know, putting you know, points ups and and you look across the league as a whole ass never how it is, you know, it's never you know, you're scoring every single drive, even though that's something that we strive for and one want our offense to look like and be, you know, reminiscent of something like that. But no, it's it's tough. It's tough to win games in the NFL. It's tough to put up points. So you know, just just nailing down and himmering down on you know, our details and making sure you know we're we're doing all the things that we need to move forward.
Speaker 1: And starry to interrupt you.
Speaker 5: And then from a college perspective, all those games and without me going back and looking at it all, we're coverages fairly on the simple side, or did they get depending on your opponent, you know, pretty challenging to kind of decode versus what you're getting in the NFL what you're about to the rest of this season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it definitely was a little bit simpler in college, for sure.
Speaker 13: You know, defenses, their tendencies on film tend to be their tendencies that they would play in the game, where you know, here at the NFL level, there's a lot of more deception and having to redefenses on the fly and stuff like that. So something I'm learning, and you know we're all learning as well.
Speaker 7: Kind of analogize when you're an offensive lineman and you're playing against the team that has a dominating pass rusher and if he lines up on you that first third down, you're kind of designated as a.
Speaker 4: Guy that he's going to attack.
Speaker 7: When you look at the coverages that you're you've been facing, and you look and you study the defensive backs that you've been facing, can you determine where, like as it always DJ number one, then you number two and and the rest of the guys accordingly, or are you kind of breaking the huddle getting into your position, running your route and you're not really concerned with who's covering you, or you know, if they're sliding your way.
Speaker 13: I definitely recognize that, you know, safeties and stuff are sliding towards DJ's way on several different snaps as well as well as you know, the play that we're talking about, them putting me kind of one on one with that dB coming downfield and allowing you know, DJ to to soak up the safety as well as the corner that's playing on him. So recognizing those games is different, you know, from play to play, but definitely, you know, an emphasis was on DJ for sure, a good bit less game. So you know, going forward, we'll see how that will continue, especially with you know, Keenan getting snaps and and me, you know, having that game and them maybe want to minimize you know, my production as well, So we'll see what it is going forward.
Speaker 7: Natural Grass to Sports turf on an NFL level, because the Bears pretty much have a perfect outdoor field. What's your what's your take, what's your go to? What do you like better?
Speaker 4: I love grass.
Speaker 13: I love grass just because of you know, the give, you know, and you know, the less risk to injury.
Speaker 4: You know, this is the six and all that.
Speaker 13: But as well as it's kind of like backyard football again, you know what I mean, playing on the grass, like man the line up and let's go.
Speaker 5: Roma duneesay our guest, the Bishop Gorman product, the Gatorade player of the Year in Nevada. The reason I bring it up I told Roman the locker room the other day a couple of weeks ago that the second most NFL players right now and active rosters comes from the.
Speaker 4: State of Las Vegas, Nevada.
Speaker 1: Yes, how about that?
Speaker 5: I mean, wow, it shocked the locker room, that's all I got to say.
Speaker 4: Shocked me too. I'm like, hold on, I got to go down and check who's all.
Speaker 6: Right from there.
Speaker 1: But you probably played against a few of those guys. But but Gorman is a powerhouse.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, you learned a lot there, right, Yeah, there's a lot of NFL futures in that place.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, one hundred percent.
Speaker 13: You know I had you know, Jalen Taylor, who's doing great job with Minnesota Vikings, just played Brevin Jordan, Dorian Thompson, Robinson. I mean, there's a list of guys who came before me who are you know, doing their things. So it's one of those places you go if you want to be on that Triggector.
Speaker 1: Right, what are you seeing with the La Rams? A young team?
Speaker 5: It's a I think there's eleven rookies on that team, Tom, every one of their linebackers inside linebackers are undrafted free agents summer vets.
Speaker 1: But Man's game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they're they're they're doing it the young way. But what what do you see because it looks like a gritty defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely a gritty defense.
Speaker 13: You know, they play with a lot of effort, you know, a lot of intensity, and you know we're gonna have to you know, bring our own you know of skills to kind of match that. So, you know, seeing a bunch of different things, seeing some different ways that we can hopefully exploit their coverages and stuff like that and come up with a big day.
Speaker 7: Roll when you play in front of your home crowd and you have that offensive silence as opposed to playing on the road where you have a lot of noise. And at this stage of the development of your off your career as an NFL player, do you like the silence or do you like the crowd noise or does it really matter to you?
Speaker 13: I like the crowd noise honestly sometimes because I feel like, you know, that adds a little element to it, you know, exactly when it gets too much and it's like, Okay, what did he just call in the huddler, you know, trying to get that. But it's always nice to have silence as well. So I like there's pros and cons for both. But you know, the away games kind of add a little bit more juice. But it is always nice to just go out there when you're at home and just be like, Okay, let's go execute. I'm going to hear the call, know what's going on, and go play.
Speaker 7: Is there anything too hot to you because Jeff talked about you being from Las Vegas, and you know me, I'm not a great hot weather player, but nothing was ever too cold to me. Here we are in Chicago and you don't know what the future brings. Have you had cold weather experience or you know, are you a warm weather guy because of your Las Vegas roots?
Speaker 13: You know, I honestly you think I'm dasitive playing cold weather. You know, it's different out here in Chicago for sure. You know, I don't know if I've ever played in anything cold like that, but Seattle has its fair share of cold games for sure. Got to play in eastern Washington as well, where it was you know, super cold, close close to the twenties and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But I know, with the wind shield up.
Speaker 13: Here and the you know, cold degrees that gets over here is going to be a different element. But you know, there's so many things to support us nowadays, the heated benches, you know, warm thermal gear and all that.
Speaker 4: So I'll be okay, all.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, even for practice tomorrow, it's supposed to be thirty four mile an hour wins tomorrow, so you'll get a little bit of a feel for those outdoor throwing conditions in the wind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that'll be a challenge. It will be fun, all right.
Speaker 5: Last one, we'll let you go appreciate the time something strikes me about you and Caleb and not to dismiss any of anybody else, but you guys are top ten picks.
Speaker 1: You had to yourself with humility.
Speaker 5: You're very expressive in the way you deliver your your answers to a very wide array of questions.
Speaker 1: You guys are professionals already.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: It's just do you notice that about him? And does he notice that about you?
Speaker 13: I appreciate that, And no, thank you. I you know, I definitely know it's about him. I can you know, say if he he notices about me, But you know, it's definitely you know, comforting knowing that he's going to go out there and and and I have, you know, be voisterous about his opinion, to be able to articulate himself. That's something that you know, special to the young man. So that's much appreciate it. But shout out to our parents. You know that those who instilled in us, but hopefully we you know, are reflection of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it is.
Speaker 5: And so congrats mom and dad for both of you. All right, good luck this week and the rest of the season. Thanks for all your time. You appreciate That's roma dunes Hey Bears wide receiver Jeff and Tom back after this on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio.
Speaker 2: Networks, Bears Weekly with the Voice of the Bears for twenty four years, and Chef's Showing Chef on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Starting All Bears fans want unforgettable access to see the Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field this season. VIP Official Ticket Pack, which is now available for every home game, unlock access to exclusive ticket packages that may include entry to win stadium, hospitality lounges, pregame, sideline credentials, and the Chicago City Pass. Visit Chicago Bears VIP dot Commerce. Call eight sixty six to oh two, fifty seven to fifty five for more information Again at Chicago Bears VIP dot commer call eight sixty six two oh two fifty seven to fifty five.
Speaker 1: Don't miss this.
Speaker 5: Exclusive opportunity with Chicago Bears VIP. Jeff and Tom here on Bears Weekly. Richard hight Tower the Bears, a special teams coordinator, quite familiar with the man he's gonna be looking at it on the opposite side of the field, Sean McVay. Because back in Washington, back in the twenty ten to twenty thirteen Mike Shanahan was the head coach. Tom Kyle Shannon, You've heard this before. Kyle Shanahan was the OC. Matt Lafleur was the quarterback coach. You had Bobby Turner, who's outstanding running back coach on the LEA.
Speaker 6: He was on there.
Speaker 5: Richard high Tower was assistant special teams coach. You had a bunch of names. Sean McVay was on that staff as well, and as a bu bunch of really outstanding coaches that have been in this league for a long time. So without further ado, let's listen in to high Tower. I'm McVeigh.
Speaker 14: I have a ton of experience working with Sean and familiarity with him.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 14: I know they're gonna be ready to go. You know they're gonna be coached up shared the office with them, so we spend a lot of you know, late nights grinding together. So I know how the guy's wired, and he's uh, and he's definitely a really good football coach.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 14: They're coming off a good, god, a really big win. You know, they were down ten points in the fourth quarter and they end up winning that game in regulation, and special teams had really a lot to do with that. So, uh, it's been a big challenge for us and we're looking forward to it. So with that, we can open it up to questions.
Speaker 1: It looks like you guys have six on here. It's so frustrating for you.
Speaker 3: And what's your teaching point with all of those?
Speaker 14: Especially you know, Yeah, So my my teaching point and one of our keys to victory every year or every game, is to play penalty free. So you're right, we have six penalties this year and that's too many. I think we maybe had six all of last year. So like the first two years we were here, we were top five and least penalties committed. So it is frustrating for me because year one we finished number one. Year two I think we finished number five. So we just have to eliminate them, like they come in bunches and you get bad ones. Then we have to have games where we don't have any because that affects field position. It hasn't killed us yet, but we're still harping on it, like we don't want to be a team that commits penalties. I want to be a disciplined team. I want to be a sound football team. I want to be a team that plays relentless.
Speaker 5: Right because field position time or cashia possession and you know interesting, Rams executed a fake punt last week, took advantage of a missfield goal, had a big punt return from a guy touching the ball for the first time in his NFL life, off the practice squad, and they won the game on our rookie kicker, as our friend be Long called it a Cardi party, John Cardi of Stanford for the win. So yes, big special teams game and special teams definitely coming into focus. We talked a lot, or he talked a lot about the kickoff return. He says, yeah, he thinks there's gonna be more returns and less touchbacks as the season moves on.
Speaker 6: Tom can't hear you can't hear you can't hear you, Tom?
Speaker 5: All right, Well we'll try and figure that out in a second. Well, Tom works on that. Let's move to Plan B and take another break here on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome back to Bears Weekly. Become the Bears Radio Network. Here's your host, the voice of the Bears, Chef Joy.
Speaker 5: Bears Weekly brought to you by IGS Energy and by CDW.
Speaker 6: People to get it and athletical.
Speaker 5: Physical therapy visit to request an in clinic or virtual appointment and start feeling better tomorrow. Jeff in Tom with you and our interview now with JB. Long, the voice of the La Rams post Aaron Donald era.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 15: You know, they've had the human cheat code for a decade and Aaron Donald and now that that's been taken out from underneath them, especially defensively, I think they're finding their way. There's reason to be optimistic, but I think a lot like the Bears, you know, say, for a few precious moments. The Rams have been trailing for the entirety of September, and oftentimes by double digits two touchdowns in each of the three games, so they could easily be zero to three, and I think we'd be singing a different tune if not for that late comeback against the forty nine ers. I think the best thing they have going for them is still Matthew Stafford, who is extending his prime with the best of them. I think he saved some of his best football for a last I think in the fourth year of his partnership with McVeigh, his decision making has absolutely found the right balance between surgical and aggressive, but also mistake minimization, which for all those years that you saw him in Detroit was probably.
Speaker 4: Not his strength.
Speaker 15: The rams new identity, unlike the kind of the outside zone Todd Gurley look that the Bears back in twenty eighteen on that frigid Sunday night put an end to effectively, is now more downhill, duo based, come right at you with Kyrin Williams, who's a nice weapon both through the passing game and even in the shotgun run game, which has not been something that the Rams have implemented until recently. Offensive line has been a huge issue, injury depletion there at wide receiver. Those are some of the obstacles they're still trying to overcome. And I'll finish on this long winded answer by saying, after having the worst kicking game in the league last year and one of the most historically bad and franchise history, I think there's a glimmer of hope. A week after Joshuacarty, their rookie kicker out of Stanford, booted the game winner. They've had a couple of punts down inside the ten the last couple of weeks. They faked a punt successfully and converted so all sorts of a thirty eight yard return to set up the game winning field goal. So it's been a long time since I felt this confident in the third phase of a football game for the Rams.
Speaker 7: A couple of years ago, Sean mcvayh talked about the possibility of retiring or getting out of coaching. I don't know if that was just offseason talk or if it was true. If you didn't have a guy like Matthew Stafford on board, would he have retired or was there anybody that was any influence in him coming back to be the head coach of the Rams.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I do think there is a personal element to it, right Like that would have been what just two years after forming this partnership with Matthew Stafford, and one of those was a Super Bowl, So that would have been a bit awkward to say, hey, Matthew, come to LA and let's do this thing, only to then walk away from it. Likewise, with Cooper Cup and Aaron Donald, like real individuals that he has a fondest and affinity for, I think it would have been tough for him to walk away. Still at the time, as the youngest head coach in the National Football League. That being said, like, I'm always erful to remind folks and Tom and Jeff you know this, the average lifespan of an NFL head coach is no more than what two or three years. Like for him to have made it into year five six and even have the thought process of like, Wow, this is really wearing me down. Do I need to go reinvent myself? Am I doing this right? Do I still have as much juice as I did when I was thirty one years old? I think those were all really introspective, helpful conversations for him to have with himself and with those he trusts. Coming out the other side, I do feel like Sean realizes that it would have been ridiculous in hindsight to pass up this one and thirty two opportunity that he has in this life, and that even though he probably could be making a whole bunch of bucks, you know, doing the TV broadcasting thing, that's for another day, and this is really what gets him out of bed in the morning. And I think his decision to come back now has a longer runway than a year to year agreement, if that makes sense. I don't think he's going to have those temptations or those second thoughts for a while.
Speaker 6: Now, Gabe long Out.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're on Bear's Week on a ESPN Radio and the Bears Radio Network with Tom Thayer Jeff Joniak. So let me dip into that just a minute, because you spend, as I do, a lot of time with the head coach. I'm assuming you do the pregame interview with him.
Speaker 6: My impression from.
Speaker 5: A distance, JB would be he'd be a note free interview. Is everything that you hear about it from the outside in exactly the way it is from the inside out.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think that's a great question, a great way of putting in the Jeff. He does wear himself on his sleeve. He doesn't hold much back. He is who he is in a very authentic, unapologetic way, which is not to say he's a perfect person. None of us are. And I think with each year that I've got to know him, you know, he's let me in and he's also been pretty transparent about realizing where his own shortcomings lie. I love the note taking, note caring mention there because the only thing I think I've ever seen him hold in his hands would be his play sheet and the Lombardi Trophy. Other than that, he's ten fingers free all the time. And I think that is a great revelation or insight into just how confident he is with what's between his ears. But it's not just football. He is a football savant, there's no doubt about it. But you've been around long enough to know there's lots of those people in our walk of life. There's lots of people who can identify a coverage and design a play, and he's on the short list of great ones. But that is not to me. What's ever differentiated him. I think it's his energy. I think it's his focus. I think it's his care factor. I think it's his interpersonal skills. Think about what it must have taken to walk in at thirty years of age and look Aaron Donald in the eye and say, I'm the key to unlocking the thing that you want to get. I'm the key to unlocking the best years that you have left. That's asking a lot for someone who had never been a head coach at any level. But he's got those communication skills, He's got that unique ability. We know people in all walks of life who can walk into a room and make you feel seen and special. That's Sean McVay. And I think that plays in a football team meeting room. I think that plays in a courtroom. I think that plays in a library. Heaven forbid he ever get into politics. I think it would work there. He's just one of those determined, gifted people that I think rises to the top and whatever profession he chooses.
Speaker 5: Jab long and the last visit by mister McVeigh, Bears beat him fifteen to six in twenty eighteen at Soldier Field Jared Goff four interception, sack three times, Todd Gurley twenty eight yards and eleven Russias.
Speaker 6: The Bears hope to do the same and slam the door on the Rams. That's going to do it for us.
Speaker 5: Special thanks to jab and Romadonze for Tom Theare I'm Jeff Jonny Act. Thanks to Dan Brially, Jordan tread Up and Sean Graeny and coming up next, Bleck and Abdalla. You've been listening to Bears Weekly on the new radio home of the Bears ESPN Chicago.
Speaker 6: Good night, everybody.
Speaker 11: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation. The Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mayra Bearsville, Jeff Julie Act and Surfmaster Tom fayon podcasts that were available on the Chicago Bears Official app, brought to you.
Speaker 3: By Verizon and Apple. Podcast As Bear's
Speaker 11: Weekly has been brought to you by Miller Lite