Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey fam Today on the bright Side, we're popping off on the biggest pop culture moments of the week and digging into a few age old relationship questions like whether your boos should be your best friend and what the experts have to say about sharing finances. Plus, in honor of their fiftieth anniversary, we're revisiting some of Saturday Night Live's most iconic oneliners.
Speaker 2: Sweat a Weather, one cow Bell. It's Friday, February fourteenth.
Speaker 1: I'm Simone Boyce, I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, Hello, Hello, Hello, Happy Friday and Happy Valentine's Day to all of our busties. We're sending you cupcakes and chocolate and love today. Consider this your official reminder that you are truly adored.
Speaker 3: Yes, you deserve love in all its forms.
Speaker 2: Okay, Today we're popping off and talking about the biggest pop culture moments of the week, and because love is in the air, expect some hot takes. Joining us is everyone's favorite showrunner, Emmy Award winning producer and bright Side bestie, Tim Palazzola.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Tim, Hi, Tim, Yay.
Speaker 4: Happy Valentine's Day.
Speaker 5: Everybody, Danielle, I want to I want to thank you for those delicious gummy bears that you brought in honor Valentine's Day into the office earlier this week.
Speaker 6: That thing says love like her rebos.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that. They are gone, so I will be requesting some new ones. Very surely.
Speaker 6: They went Valentine's Day space, They're gone forever.
Speaker 4: To they went very fast.
Speaker 5: I also want to thank both of you because last week's popping off you inspired me to do something that was a long time in the making, something that I should have done much much sooner.
Speaker 6: What are you about to say.
Speaker 4: I washed my sheets?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. How long has it been the animal?
Speaker 5: I don't know too long based on the conversation had last week. It was too long. The sheets, the bedspread, everything. So everything was happy for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm more happy for Brian.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: How about your jeans and your pillows.
Speaker 4: Jeans, pillows, everything's been washed.
Speaker 5: And I also was I was stuck on is it okay for the dog to sleep in the bed? And I did a little research and it turns out the experts are mixed. A lot of people say it's really great cuddling with dogs releases oxytocin, which is a benefit, but they also say they can bring bacteria into your bed. So my dog stays in the bed, but I'll be continuing to wipe down his paws before he jumps.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is a major turning point. And on Valentine's Day, congrats.
Speaker 2: We're changing lives here on the bright side, Yes, we did it. It is time to pop off, and in honor of Valentine's Day, I would like to start by celebrating something we all love. For the first time ever, women in leading roles have reached full parody with men at the box office.
Speaker 3: This is so huge.
Speaker 2: According to the Center for the Study of Women in Film and Television, forty two percent of the year's top one hundred grossing films featured women protagonists, and for the first year ever, that is the exact same percentage as male protagonists. So for anyone wondering why we talk about these things so often, why we talk about gender parity and representation, this is exactly why. This is the progress that we have needed to see. And usc also just released some data on women in film. Their Annenberg Inclusion Initiative has been studying representation in films since two thousand and seven, and this year they actually measured an all time high in girls and women as protagonists in the biggest films of the year. They found that fifty four percent of the highest grossing films of the year had a female lead or co lead. And also both studies pointed to one of our bright side favorites, The Substance, as an especially impactful film for its inclusion of a female protagonist who is more mature.
Speaker 5: I wouldn say I am both so incredibly thrilled to hear this and incredibly shocked to hear this at the same time. Right, I cannot believe it is twenty twenty five and we are finally reaching a sense of equality for women. But I think beyond the science of it, I think anecdotally we're also seeing not just that women were a part of films in an equal way, but the performances that the women gave this year are extraordinary.
Speaker 4: They're the ones that we have been talking about all year.
Speaker 5: You mentioned The Substance, We cannot stop talking about Ariana Grande and Cynthia Reevo, Amy Adams and Knight Bitch, Nicole Kidman and Baby Girl.
Speaker 4: The list goes on and on.
Speaker 5: It's not just that women were acting in these films, it's also that the roles that they were playing were outstanding this year and lucrative.
Speaker 2: They were lucrative films, which is that is the key that's been the missing piece. We need people to show up for these in the same way that we need people to show up for women's sports, because that means that we can keep making these projects.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: Every time there's a successful female led film or TV show, it proves to these studios that success for female led shows are undeniable. What's so interesting to me is that the majority of moviegoers are women, Like women make up the demo. And I took this great class in college. It was like a children and TV criticism class, and I learned that people identify most with people who look like themselves on screen. So, like I remember watching the OC growing up, and I loved Rachel Bilson's character, I wasn't really Misha Barton fan as much. And I realized, oh my god, that's because I look more like Rachel Bilson. It's just so it's such a natural instinct. And so I bring that up to say that this is really important because we consume TV movies so often throughout our childhood and what is reflected on screen really impacts how we see ourselves and move throughout the world.
Speaker 6: So I can't wait for this to continue to trend upwards.
Speaker 5: Absolutely more women in films and someone what you're saying about the power of the box office we think about show business, and business is a really.
Speaker 4: Important part of the term show business.
Speaker 5: So when we continue to see women led films dominate at the box office from a business decision, we're going to see more studios double down on that, and that's really where the power is going to be. So I encourage everyone, it's Valentine's Day weekend, go see a film that.
Speaker 4: Is led by a female protagonist.
Speaker 5: That's my PSA, that's my Valentine's PSA.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a Valentine'sday question for you, okay, and it's sort of this classic relationship debate should your romantic partner also be your best friend? Before I get into this New York Times article that I read, I just want a quick yes or no from each of you.
Speaker 2: I don't do quick yes or nos. My answer are okay all the rules. I just think this is like I think there's some nuance here. I think sometimes your partner should be your best friend sometimes, but you also don't want to be roommates, so it's got to be somewhere in between.
Speaker 4: That's really interesting. That's really interesting.
Speaker 5: I having been in a relationship for a very long time, I know that there are going to be ups and downs, and I think at the core of it, friendship is really important in that formula.
Speaker 1: So The New York Times tackled this idea, and no surprise, opinions, just like yours, we're all over the place. Some psychologists say it's a modern idea that can bring couples closer, and some say it sets them up for failure. So they got some reactions from readers. One woman interviewed said she and her husband's friendship is the key to their successful relationship, just kind of like what you said, Tim, And then another woman gushed about her husband, calling him a loving father, a man of integrity and.
Speaker 6: Character, and very much not her best friend.
Speaker 1: So more in line with what you said, Simone, she said, I don't have sex with my friends, I don't pay bills with my friends, and I guarantee if you did, it would change the whole dynamic of the relationship preach.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I'm more on Tim's side with this. Any like good relationship I've had was rooted in friendship.
Speaker 6: In friendship, but I'm also not married, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing that I think is interesting about this is we think about like best friend versus being someone's everything, you know.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Like it's a very modern ideal to want your partner to be your emotional support system, your therapist, to your co parent.
Speaker 6: You're one and only, and it's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 5: I will say that is the biggest thing that I discovered over time in my relationship because I was initially the type of person who thought that person needed to fill every bucket, to be all of things, and it's a really unrealistic expectation to put on someone.
Speaker 6: So this is very personal, But what did you decide to outsource?
Speaker 5: I'll be so candid and I love him very very much, but you know, Brian is not the emotional support. There are a lot of fundamental things that we get from the relationship and we've built a very beautiful life together. But I if I need emotional support or I need to talk about feelings. I outsource that to other people, yes, And it was a really challenging thing for a while because I was like, I need you to understand where I'm coming from, and he just doesn't have that capacity. And so I was getting really frustrated for a really long time, and I was just like, you know what, he's got his strengths. I have my strengths, and sometimes I'll just outsource it. He doesn't have to he doesn't have to be all of those things. I can get that from so many other people in my life. He doesn't have to be the one to provide that for me as well.
Speaker 1: So I dated somebody who was I think there's different types of smarts or intellectualism. And I met this person who knew how to build everything, like they could walk into a room and tell you how the lights were made. And that was like they're so smart, but they weren't intellectual in the sense that I was used to, which is like reading books or talking about politics or articles. And I remember going to my dad because I really liked him, and I went to my dad and I was like, how do you decide what you need versus what you want? Because sure my mom is a very smart person. She's a CPA, Like she's really smart, but she's not really having a conversation with my dad about politics. And my dad is so politically inclined, and he was like, what do you think I need to discuss politics with your mother?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 1: Like I could just go read myself or talk to a friend. You can't have everything in one person. But I struggle with determining what I need from a partner versus what I want.
Speaker 4: That is the ultimate, the ultimate question.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's a perfect sort of mathematical.
Speaker 6: Equation to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's something about thinking about a relationship as just alchemy.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: You're all putting like a little bit in and you sort of like make a recipe together, and sometimes it's like, you know what, I put a little bit more salt in there, and sometimes he puts a little bit more partially in there. But hopefully together we have all the ingredients to make the things. And that's just how it goes. There's no such thing as the perfect person, and I think once we all let go of thinking that there is a perfect person. There was something that one of our experts said this week about choice thinking about a relationship as a choice, and I think about that stuck with me from this week because I remember very early on, this was probably ten or eleven years ago. I went to visit Brian's family for the first time. We had been dating for about seven months. It was a fourth of July. It was this beauty. His hometown is in Massachusetts, right on the coast, and it's really lovely and I had the most amazing time. And at the end, he said, now that you love my family and my family loves you, you're stuck with me. Mmm, You're stuck with me? And I was like, no, I'm not stuck with you. I choose to.
Speaker 4: Be with you.
Speaker 3: Yow.
Speaker 4: And he, honestly at the time, was really really offended by that.
Speaker 5: But I said, no, that is the most beautiful thing I can possibly say, because I don't feel trapped. It is me saying that I want to be a part of your life and this life that we're creating together.
Speaker 4: And I think about that a lot.
Speaker 6: Did he understand where you were coming from?
Speaker 5: He understood after the fact because he initially thought I was rejecting. He thought he was saying something nice and I was disregarding him. But I think he Yeah, he ultimately understood, and I think that that is really That's really the thing you have to continue to do over and over is think about I want to make this choice, and over time you realize you're going to have to continue to make different choices over the lifespan of a relationship too.
Speaker 6: That's a good point, you know.
Speaker 1: Esther Perell, who I think is so brilliant in talking about relationships, says that most people are going to have two or three marriages over the course of their lifetime, and it's up to you if those relationships are with the same personably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because our lifespan used to be like thirty five years old, so I think that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people also used to get married for ghosts.
Speaker 3: Simon, you've been really quiet, h No, I've just been listening. I've just been listening.
Speaker 2: I think that friendship is an important component to a relationship, but I don't think that it can be all of it, because if you think about like your friendships, friendships evolve, right, and sometimes we break up with friends because our lifestyles don't align or our values don't align anymore. And that is going to happen in a long term relationship too. You're going to change and you're going to evolve, so there has to be some sort of glue other than just the friendship. I think what's really important, and what I'm finding even more important is I am approaching fifteen years of marriage, is what do we want out of life?
Speaker 3: How do we want our lives to look?
Speaker 2: And I think friendship is about like living life alongside each other, but a long term relationship is about building a life together. And I also think if friendship is the glue that's holding your marriage together, I think your world is going to get rocked when you have kids because the duties and responsibilities of co parenting will completely overwhelm your relationship. And it's so easy to slip into roommate status, which has happened to us, where you're just ships in the night. You're both so busy, you're both sleep deprived, and you're not finding that time for connection and intimacy. So I think it's going to be friendship plus intimacy plus shared values.
Speaker 5: Values. You said the word values. That's the thing that resonates with me the most because we all go through different things in life that are independent of their relationship we have. Sometimes we do really well at work, sometimes you don't. Sometimes we have family stuff. Sometimes we're feeling fit, sometimes we're not feeling fit. But it really is the values that keep you together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to take a quick break from popping Off, but we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We're back to popping off with Tim Pellazola. Okay, now that we've discussed how we feel about love and friendships, I'm curious how you both feel about love and money, specifically splitting your finances with your loved ones. Do either of you have an overriding philosophy.
Speaker 1: About this, So I think it really depends on your personal philosophy around relationships and money, because all of the studies and statistics show, particularly if you have kids, that financially it is a better decision to have shared accounts. But money is not just a financial decision. Money is an emotional decision. And so if you are craving a certain amount of independence or your relationship requires that the margin of difference is not so big that it makes a huge difference. If that could be your independence and that peace of mind could be worth more to you.
Speaker 5: I couldn't agree more with that. We do not combine our finances. And honestly, it's the thing that we argue about the most, and I think it has to do with our relationship with money in particular.
Speaker 4: I tend to be someone who likes to save.
Speaker 5: I'm very prudent with my money and the financial decisions that I've made. I know have worked very hard for things, and he is a little bit more let's spend it, Let's let's go out and have fun, or we go to the amount of Beyonce concert t shirts that we have in our home. I'm like, you need another Beyonce concert t shirt every time we go to a concert, and it bothers me so much, and it's not my money. I had to get to a place where it's not my money. You spend your money however you want, and I will spend my money how I want. And keeping it a little church and state has just helped us not fight as much about things.
Speaker 6: Do you do a monthly meeting about money?
Speaker 5: We don't do a monthly meeting. We we have discussions about money. And we obviously are you know, contributing to our general finances together. You know, we we pay you know, obviously we pay for the house and you know, we do all that. So we figured out what the right amount that we're each contributing makes sense. And and once we aligned on what that was going to be each month, then it became you do what you want, and I'll.
Speaker 4: Do it what I want. And then I don't. I don't. I don't have any opinions anymore.
Speaker 1: Like it's not what happens like for big for big things. This is where I think it gets confusing when you go when you take a big trip, if like, do you split it as a percentage? Does one person pay for all of it? And then if you say you're paying for the trip to Tim and Brian goes out and buys like some really expensive blazer and you're like, what in the world.
Speaker 6: He could have just contributed to this trip.
Speaker 3: Didn't that just happens?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it did happen. Something like that happens all the time. It gets dicey. So a lot of what we have come to with our philosophy is like with specific regards to a trip, like you mentioned, we will both have an idea of what things are going to cost, and we're going to agree on what is a fair amount for each of us to contribute to that, and once we agree on what that fair amount is, I just sort of let it go. So as long as as long as he is fulfilling what I think, what we have agreed upon, then what he's what he does with his money is his own business.
Speaker 1: Well this is interesting too, because depending on when you meet, I think it really affects this decision. Like, if you meet like Simone, you and your husband met so young, I don't want to assume what you do, but I'm guessing you guys probably built your life together, versus if I meet somebody now, like, I don't know if it's so it's so dependent on the situation.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I want to combine everything. Yeah, I think that's a good point. We shared our finances from the beginning, but I feel very strongly I actually don't think that you should have all your finances pulled together. I think you should always have some of your own money. And so what we're doing now, which I think is a great solution, is.
Speaker 6: We call that a push gi.
Speaker 1: They say that women are they say women are always supposed to have a little push gi, like a little yeah, like little thing on the side.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's culturally that that applies to a lot of different communities too. I think a lot of people have that philosophy. So now we have a shared account, but all my money from my business comes into my own account, and then I add it into the show account. And I just think this is the best of both worlds. Like I'm able to make my own investments. I'm a bit riskier in that department, like Michael's not going to take as many risks as I am. But I felt I felt hamstrung by that for a long time because I felt like I had to make money moves that we both agreed with, and it left me feeling a bit powerless, you know. And so now I feel so empowered that we are growing and building our wealth as a family, which is so cool and so exciting, and then I also am growing my own wealth.
Speaker 3: It's the best of both worlds.
Speaker 5: I love hearing that I have a friend. She and her husband each contribute to a joint account. They each put the same amount in each month, and then that's the money that they use for, you know, their common life expenses. You know, if the water, heat of breaks they take from that. If they're going to take a vacation they take from that, but then they also have their own separate things, and I think that's probably a really smart thing to do, like to be transparent.
Speaker 2: We haven't always been able to have our own separate counts and then one joint account depending on where we're at in our careers. Like there have been times when I've been the bread winner and there have been times when Michael has been the bread winner. And I think that that is the beauty of marriage of the institution is having that safety net. It's time for another short break, but we'll be right back with Tim Pallasola, and we're back with Tim Pallasola.
Speaker 1: Well, a Valentine's Day gift to all of us is that Saturday Night Live is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary this Sunday. So the list of a listers was just announced, and you know it's going to be a deep list. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jimmy Fallon, Adam Sandler. So many people are joining to celebrate this epic night. We're used to shows that sometimes after two or three seasons. SNL is one of the longest running network broadcast shows of all time, nearly a thousand episodes since it began decades ago, and throughout this time they've been part of, if not leading, the cultural Zeite guys, we've been introduced to so many catchphrases and jokes that end up in our day to day conversations. So in honor of the anniversary, the New York Times published an article called fifty Things We Say Now thanks to SNL. So I want to pick a few of them, and I know you guys are both comedy fans. I want to see if you can figure out who performed them and what sketch I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Oh my, well, I love this, Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is great.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: I also want to give you a fair warning that I do bad impressions.
Speaker 6: So I will not be impersonating these people.
Speaker 3: No, please, bad impressions welcome.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: The first one is we are too wild and crazy, guys.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's like vintage, right.
Speaker 6: Who do you think performed it?
Speaker 5: I'm pretty certain Steve Martin was involved, and there's someone else and I don't know. I don't know who the other person is, Simone.
Speaker 4: Do you know this one?
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna get this wrong. This isn't Hans and Franz.
Speaker 4: Right, No, that was a pomp.
Speaker 1: You up.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, yeah, this was from the seventies. This is like Steve, This is like og this is Steve Martin. And they were always wearing these like leisure suits. They would come in with like polyester.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think Tim's right. I'm gonna go with Tim's answer.
Speaker 5: Danielle, do you know off the top of your head, I know we don't have just so everyone knows at home, we don't have the answers in front of us. Our producer Amy is going to reveal them for us, so it's not in front of us.
Speaker 4: Do you know who it is?
Speaker 6: I have no idea. Okay, now that I am.
Speaker 1: Seeing the answer, you were right, Tim, It was Steve Martin and dan Ackroyd in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Dan Ackroyd, dan Akrol.
Speaker 4: Oh, my god, amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's another saying sweat a weather sw wether.
Speaker 3: Oh, of course, Amy pull or my Roudolph.
Speaker 4: One of my faves.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, two thousand and seven, iconic.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: The next one is diet starts Monday.
Speaker 2: I know the phrase, but I don't. I didn't even know this came from us and l me neither.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I know this sketch.
Speaker 5: This feels like this would be This one sounds outrageous to me. This one feels like it would be someone trolling something.
Speaker 4: Is this the nineties?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Is this is this Chris Farley?
Speaker 3: Is this it is job?
Speaker 6: You're so good tim Yes it's Chris Farley.
Speaker 1: He said it in one of the Gap girls at the sweet Court suches. Yes, okay, I have one more guys.
Speaker 4: That was that was ridiculous.
Speaker 5: And I will say from that sketch in particular, they're all sitting around. It's Chris Farley and David Spade and they're dressed as like Gap. They they work at the Gap and they're like sitting around the mall food court and they're all sitting around, and obviously Chris Farley is a little overweight, and he's kind saying like it starts Monday, and he reaches for some fries and David Spade goes to like swat his hand away, and Chris Farley responds.
Speaker 4: With, layoff me, I'm hungry or something like that.
Speaker 3: Anyway, is that what you sound like when you're hungry.
Speaker 5: To him, channeling myself. That is me, layoff me, I'm starving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, the last one is more cow Bell who said that, oh.
Speaker 4: Will Ferrell iconic, iconic, iconic, iconic.
Speaker 6: Okay, guys, I didn't know one of these.
Speaker 4: Really, No, are you a big SNL person? Do you watch the show where you're just not one of those people that like can recall quotes?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Both?
Speaker 1: I like watched SNL sparingly and I can never recall quotes like that from TV and film.
Speaker 6: It's so hard for me.
Speaker 5: Some of these are so incredibly iconic and this is just obviously scratching the service. We think of some of the most amazing sketches that have been turned into movies like Wayne's World, Blues Brothers, Knight of the Roxbury, Marrin, Catherine Gallagh, you know, the list goes, yeah, on and.
Speaker 4: On, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so hard to put fifty years of these sketches together and to celebrate.
Speaker 6: I'm really curious to see what they do.
Speaker 5: And not just the sketches, but you think about the musical acts that have been on. What an incredible show that obviously we all can relate to certain eras of this show in some way or another. I think my parents obviously really to like I think my parents will be mortified to go you guys stumbled on wild and crazy guys. I'm sure they said stuff like that all the time, where we're so used to being like party on Way and party on God, you know, so in a way we just go through life.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see what they're going to do.
Speaker 5: It really has been cutting edge in so many different ways in terms of comedy. They take on politics in such a smart way. I'll never forget Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin during that whole Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Their political sketches are.
Speaker 4: So good, so smart. So I'm super excited to see what they do this weekend.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yes, I cannot wait. Well, this was a blast. Thank you so much, Tim for coming on. We love you.
Speaker 4: I love you too. Happy Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: We love you, Happy V Day everybody. Tim Pallazola is our bright Side bestie and showrunner and an Emmy winning producer.
Speaker 3: That's it for Today Show.
Speaker 2: On Monday, We're kicking off the week with actor and producer Tika Sumter. We're going to find out how she's leveling up content in the children's audio space with her podcast Adventures of Curiosity.
Speaker 1: Cove listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Production by Arcana Audio.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Jessica wenk Amy Padula and Laura Neukom.
Speaker 3: Our senior producers It's Ahintaniya. Our engineer is PJ.
Speaker 2: Shahamat additional mixing help from Zack Schmidt.
Speaker 1: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzika. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart podcast. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson and Joel Morales.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 6: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 6: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's ro Bay.
Speaker 3: We'll see you Monday, y'all. Keep looking on the bright side,