Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media. Welcome to sixteenth minute. I need to talk to you about a man named Elvis Presto.
Speaker 2: NNL a Magic Com Entertainment present of Super Bowl halftime Extravaganza.
Speaker 3: Song I got pretty.
Speaker 4: Suppresto digitation Elvis Presto, it's feb BAMT.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're confused. What you just heard was a sixties style girl group. Think the Supremes impersonators, I guess talking over a very eighties looking bright colors and shapes digital screen, and then that fades to that same girl group addressing the camera in the middle of a gigantic, hacked football stadium. It's nineteen eighty nine. We're at the fucking Super Bowl, and the headlining act for the halftime show is a man called Elvis Presto. Let's have a theoretical conversation. Wait a second, you say I've never heard of Elvis Presto. I roll my eyes and reply, I'm sorry. Try waking up for the first time in your life. Elvis Presto is, of course an Elvis impersonator who is also a magician, and so he's gonna arrive in the middle of the football field by way of some kind of magic who I didn't say great magic in that clip. Elvis Presto just kicked his way out of an old jukebox. He's not necessarily giving Elvis, but it's the beginning of the show. Let's give him a chance. You think was Elva is Presto a popular act in the eighties that I just never heard about? Oh no, I reply, this was a character made up for the Super Bowl. Okay, you think, Well, at least he's laid by a professional Elvis impersonator. Right, No, he's not. Hello baby, this man is not an Elvis impersonator. I checked. Okay, you say, then, surely he's a magician.
Speaker 3: Propert scheer.
Speaker 2: You're going on fun. This car trick's killing him.
Speaker 4: The first you have to pick the card kimal On, He comes and try for your card.
Speaker 1: He isn't a magician. The guy that plays Elvis Presto is not a magician. There is technically a feat of magic performed within this show, but it's all production. It's never Elvis Presto. There are so many things that happened in this twelve minute show, and none of them makes sense. It's awesome. There's hundreds of dancers and poodle skirts, there's guys on trampolines. There's flaming batons, one of which almost sets Elvis Presto on fire. There's one hundred motorcycles, and the central act is a character who was just made up a couple of weeks ago, performing quote unquote the world's largest card trick. And you won't believe this, but the world's Largest card trick didn't really translate to TV at all. But the idea was that there were four gigantic playing cards laid out on the field. Elvis Presto read the name of each card, and the crowd picked a card via applause, and then Presto the card. Everyone chose the King of Hearts, which was the only character and the only heart, so pretty easy to stack the deck there. But Elvis Presto knew all along it was going to be the King of Hearts. This is how it plays out.
Speaker 5: Which card it's gone The feed depends on just how loud you clap my friend card one, two, three, four, Now clap for.
Speaker 2: The card that you don't.
Speaker 5: The cards you only mister Presto knows.
Speaker 4: Prepare for my most mystifying feet.
Speaker 3: The cards you childs.
Speaker 2: There's some lead your.
Speaker 1: Seat, and at this point, all of the dancers turn a card over to reveal a gigantic King of Hearts, and the audience is asked to flip their seat cushions over, where there's also a picture of the King of a hearts. Wow, I love this. This trick belongs at a kid named Evan's birthday party. But we're at the super Bowl. So no, the man on the field isn't Elvis and he isn't Presto. But you asked me, Well, this guy is an actor, right, He's at least been cast for the part of Elvis Presto. He didn't just, for example, have to fill in for someone else and learn all of the choreography in three days, explaining why he doesn't sing live vocals, doesn't perform any magic, and doesn't look anything like Elvis. Well, here's an interview with a guy who played Elvis Presto from an NFL short doc back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 6: After Solid Gold, I moved into choreography. I got a gig to choreograph the Super Bowl or Reagan Patno was our lead and he was perfect. He was like a blonde Elvis. He got a Lee Jean's commercial three days before the super Bowl and decided to quit the super Bowl and go do the Lee Jean's commercial. So it was like, okay, now what so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't Elvis, he wasn't Presto, he wasn't an actor, and he wasn't a singer. And at this point in our theoretical conversation, your head is dangling off your fucking neck, and you're like Jamie at very least the bare minimum. Surely the musical selection that Elvis Presto plays are Elvis songs, doesn't He doesn't.
Speaker 3: He's crazy.
Speaker 1: No, No, he doesn't play a single Elvis song outside of saying hunka hunk of burning Love in a transition one time. Not a single Elvas song was licensed for this performance. Nor has this man done an Elvis impression before, Nor can he do magic or sing. This man had never appeared on television and never would again. He now owns a yoga studio in Portland, Oregon. It's my favorite thing I've ever learned. I have been healed by this information. Also, this super Bowl show was allegedly filmed and broadcasted in three D? Why did they call it? Bebop? Bamboozled? Oh boy. And because great artistry is never recognized in its day, and I guess not for thirty five full years after its day. People don't talk much about the Elvis Presto super Bowl halftime show today, one thing I hope to be a small part of rectifying here. But in spite of that, this is still a historically consequential super Bowl halftime show because when I thought of halftime shows prior to the sacred knowledge of Elvis Presto, I thought of basically a Vegas show for the entire world where a generational artist plays their hits, does a million costume changes, invites their past collaborators to play one of their songs. There's pyrotechnics, there's acrobats. In Usher's case last year, I remember there being roller skates. It's a huge victory lap for a musician's career that isn't just for their fans. It's a world stage event. But upon further investigation, the super Bowl has been going on for fifty eight years and this big concert aspect has only been true of the halftime show for about the last thirty years. Before that, you got mostly colorful marching band slash baton twirling kind of standard fare. Here's the former NFL Director of Special Events, Jim Steeg, talking about what the approach to the halftime show was pre Elvis Presto.
Speaker 3: You really found very few name stars involved.
Speaker 1: It was more about filling the field with color.
Speaker 3: And music, dancing stoke flakes.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl has been going on since nineteen sixty seven and was originally called the AFL NFL World Championship Game, and they would generally do what football halftime shows had been doing since the late eighteen hundreds in the US and still at American high schools today. There were marching bands, there were dancers, there were cheerleaders, there were demented levels of needless patriotism, and in the case of the Super Bowl, usually a celebrity guest or two who would sing an American standard. In the early days of the Super Bowl, this meant guests like Carol Channing, Ella Fitzgerald, and Andy Williams who performed a song or two in the halftime show in the seventies. In the eighties, shows were majority by nonprofit and military performance organizations with themes like Salute to Motown, Hollywood's one hundredth Anniversary, and honestly a bunch of bought and paid for Disney ads that stretched well into the nineties that kind of wound up just being a Disneyland parade on a football field. Quick side note, these weird Disney shows would go into the nineties as well. My favorite was a really bizarre nineteen ninety five halftime show that was meant to advertise the Indiana Jones show at disney World, but they also put Patti Labella in it as a character.
Speaker 7: Wow, Indiana Jones.
Speaker 2: You've got jet drop it back.
Speaker 1: So now tell me show what nixt.
Speaker 4: I've given a Jode Old winner of super Bowl twenty nine.
Speaker 1: That's the right attitude. Waby interesting full halftime show if you want to watch it. I was entertained. But in the late eighties the Super Bowl team was interested in creating more spectacle around the halftime show. The year before, Elvis Presto a contracted Radio City Music Hall to put a show together that featured Chubby Checker and the Roquettes and started to pull back from the standard marching band. Fair but it's still not white there. Chubby Checker is still very much the featured act, it's not his halftime show. And then along came Elvis Presto, and sure people fucking hated it, but there's no other act in the show but him, and that was a first. Here's a particularly scathing review.
Speaker 4: The reigning principle was excess too many dancers, too many pastel colors, and the whole thing went on too long. Mister Presto's last trick was his best. He and the cast of thousands disappeared.
Speaker 1: You know what else people hated when it came out, Citizen Kane, probably.
Speaker 4: So Elvis Presco, Hey, baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, Elvis Presto happens in nineteen eighty nine, and then everyone quietly agrees that will never happen again. Nineteen ninety doesn't improve very much. There are iconic performers like Irma Thomas, but the theme is Charlie Brown's Birthday, you complete with these terrifying peanuts mascot costumes. Nineteen ninety one has New Kids on the Block headlining, but even they have to follow Roger Rabbit and Goofy breakdancing and an entire chorus of It's a Small World. In ninety two, Gloria A. Stefan kind of had to split the bill with US Olympic figure skaters and an entire hockey team. But in nineteen ninety three, the formula is locked in. This is the year that Michael Jackson headlines, and we start to see the halftime show as what we think of it today. You weren't just getting a ticket to the biggest football game on the planet. You were also getting a ticket to one of the hottest concerts possible. After Michael Jackson, it's after the races for pop and rock megastars headlining the halftime show, with the exception of the Indiana Jones thing. Let's hear it again. Wow, Indiana Jones, You've got Judge ot agay, So now tell me shut up west Nick, sure, Patty. The nineties brought big shows from headliners like Diana Ross, a huge Motown salute, Gloria a step fun with Stevie Wonder instead of a hockey team. That's an improvement. And in the two thousands the show really hit its stride because that's when I started forming memories, and so that's when history began. Just kidding, history began here, Ah, sorry, okay, the two thousands, post nine to eleven, we had a U two headlined halftime show. In two thousand and two with Bono's little American flag jacket. He's Irish and I thought anti war, but sure. We had a very chaotic two thousand and four that led to the infamous Janet Jackson quote unquote wardrobe malfunction, sending justin Timberlake to the gutters of history. We had the best halftime show of all time from Prince in two thousand and seven, and want to remember really enjoying from Bruce Springsteen in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: I won't you just step back from the quack of hole it?
Speaker 3: Devin, how about you that shit get things down. I'm turning your television.
Speaker 1: But by the early twenty tens was star ording to run out of establishment rock acts to headline, starting the decade with The Who, and then leaning heavily into pop acts. The Black Eyed Peas, a really fun Madonna show, Beyonce in a close second to Prince for the all time best halftime show. Then came Bruno Mars, and on February first, twenty fifteen, pop star Katy Perry headlined at what ended up being one of the most memorable halftime shows ever in Glendale, Arizona, and whether you were a fan or not, This was peak Katy Perry. If you haven't watched it in almost ten years, let me remind you of what the show was like. It starts big and silly, what Perry was known for at the time, and she enters on this gigantic gilded lion puppet with glowing red eyes. It's pretty awesome. She's saddled onto the lion in address covered in Guy Fieri flames, and she's singing her hit Roar and singing live shout.
Speaker 2: Out to that.
Speaker 1: She gets to the stage, dismounts the gigantic lion puppet, and then launches into the next song, dark Horse, And the second she hits the stage, there's dancers, and the way Katy Perry had dancers at this time was very specific. It's really campy, really over the top. The led stage becomes this huge chessboard, and her dancers, complete with their faces painted in silver, are sexy chest pieces like flipping and dancing their asses off. Awesome. She moves her way across the stage and launches into the next hit. And by the way, this is the only Super Bowl show ever that featured all number one hits. Her first guest artist, Lenny Kravitz, comes out Who's looking full Lenny Kravitz leather jacket, jeans the whole bit, and he does a cover of her early hit, problematic Bisexual anthem, I kissed a girl back before out queer pop stars were legal, I don't know. The two sing a chillingly heterosexual duet, and then the set changes into a California beach and we head into the next song, all timer pop anthem teenage Dream. We're approaching the halfway mark of the show now and Katy Perry does her first abrupt costume change, and the dancers have changed too. No longer dresses chess pieces. Many of them are now dressed as anthropomorphic Disneyland style grinning palm trees, surfboards, beach balls, and sharks. Katie comes out in a primary colored beach ball inspired dress and the character dancers kind of bob around her. Something that always stuck out to me is that the beach balls had these little teeth. I hate when things have teeth and they don't have teeth. The cars from cars, regardless. The costumes are elaborate, and the anthropomorphic characters have these mouths that move in time with the music while the dancers are inside them. And as we head into the chorus of Teenage Dream, Katie is flanked by two bright blue costume sharks. The costume's mouth along to the words of the chorus, and the dancers do their thing. But as the chorus is ending, viewers across the world begin to notice that the shark on the left side of the screen seems to have maybe lost the thread a little. He's dancing a little out of sink. He slaps himself in the face, and then he kind of just like wings it. This happens very quickly. The whole thing takes less than five seconds, and then the sharks are both locked into the choreography for the rest of the show. But the moment has already been screen grab This was a Super Bowl that was not just watched on TV, but experienced in real time on social media, and so within seconds, an online phenomenon still remembered to this day was born. Left Shark. Brian gaw Your sixteenth Minute starts now. Welcome back to sixteenth Minute, the podcast where we interview the Internet characters of the day from time gone by to see how their big moment affected them and what it says about the Internet and US and today. I'm speaking with the infamous Left Shark from the Katy Perry Super Bowl halftime show back in twenty fifteen. This is a true sixteenth minute exclusive. It's only the second interview that Left Shark has done ever in almost ten years, and spoiler alert him so much. He's awesome. But to fully appreciate his story, I think we need to take a closer look at what and why this moment happened, because, like millions of other people, I very much remember seeing this in real time. I was babysitting my boss's kids because I wasn't being paid enough by my boss, and so their solution was take care of my kids while I go to my friend's Super Bowl party. Anyway, the kids and I were watching this, and I probably tweeted about left Shark in the moment. So buckle in, part your hair to the side and come with me if you dare to. February twenty fifteen, Harper Lee is announced to be releasing a second book called Go Set a Watchman, prompting allegations that she was forced into publishing via elder abuse. Brian Williams goes on hiatus after being caught lying about being in a helicopter that was shot down in the Iraq War. Remember that? And pop star Katy Perry headlined the Super Bowl halftime show with surprise guests Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliott. By the way, yeah, Missy fucking Elliott left. Shark became the main thing that this halftime show was remembered for. But let's not forget Missy Elliott was the surprise guest on this show, and right after the Sharks clear the stage, she comes out of nowhere and performs get your freak on and Work It, before the show concludes with Katie Perry singing firework while flying through the audience on a gigantic shooting star prop that kind of looked like the More You Know logo. It was a really good show, making the fact that lef Shark was the main takeaway for a lot of people all the more remarkable. Before we get into how the show came together, a quick disclaimer. Because I'm talking about the Super Bowl and therefore the NFL this week, I want to be clear about a few things. I do feel the need to say that the NFL is a demonstrably dogshit organization from just about any angle you look at it from This was true in twenty fifteen and would only become more true in the years to come. The year after this halftime show, Colin Kaepernick famously took a knee during the US national anthem at a game to protest racial inequality and police brutality, which brought his professional career to a screeching halt soon after, leading to lawsuits between Kaepernick and the league. That's not to mention how the NFL has historically ignored the rampant CTE, traumatic brain injuries brought on by players repeated concussions that have destroyed players' lives and led to the death of many. The NFL has never confronted this, and even went as far to intimidate scientists who were studying CTE in twenty seventeen. There's the matter of massive NFL stadiums uprooting entire communities, most often poor communities, and these rotten to the core issues with the NFL is what's caused some musicians to turn down playing the Super Bowl in the past, most notably Rihanna, Pink and Cardi b in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick back in twenty nineteen. Although Rihanna did later do the super Bowl in twenty twenty three, so I guess she got over it. Don't yell at me. I'm a Rihanna fan, but like, come on anyways, I did want to acknowledge that reality before digging into this Super Bowl halftime show story, because admittedly there is my oo shiny, awesome, pretty show with fireworks brain. That means I generally still tune into the halftime show almost every year, and in general, Americans are just weirdly into the super Bowl. The amount of bizarre, campy media that exists around the Super Bowl is hard to quantify it. If you don't believe me, Here's a clip of the Chicago Bears singing nineteen eighty five's novelty single, the super Bowl shuffle.
Speaker 3: Shot.
Speaker 1: The song is very famous. I can't account for it. The song has ten verses and was nominated for a Grammy. But don't worry. The New England Patriots also made a novelty song about wanting to win the Super Bowl that year. Huge l for New England. It's just embarrassing. Sorry, just one more. In nineteen eighty six, the Los Angeles Rams recorded a novelty rap song that is basically horn.
Speaker 3: This is limousine money, my movies like Dreams. They call me the domn Ahose Special Teams. I know how to run from the toes to the head. When I pull the to the eye, knock you did.
Speaker 1: I'm a mountain man from West Va. They call me Hursk and I came to play. I learned long ago. If the rama just rights, you can ram it all day.
Speaker 2: And ram it all night.
Speaker 1: The super Bowl is deeply American. It's big, it's annoying, it's bad for the world, and people have a lot of fun watching it. Anyways, the year that Katy Perry performed, the team's playing were the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks. And that will be the last time I will be talking about the teams because for my money, the left Shark moment defined this entire broadcast. Think about moments that have stuck with you from halftime shows of yore. The Rihanna pregnancy reveal from twenty twenty three, Lady Gaga jumping off a building at the beginning of her show in twenty seventeen, Mia flipping off the camera before the broadcast had time to cut it during Madonna's show in twenty twelve, and most infamously ever, the Janet Jackson Justin Timberlake wardrobe malfunction from two thousand and four that slowed Janet Jackson's career to a crawl in spite of the fact that she had done nothing except have a nipple, and Justin Timberlake went on to headline a super Bowl show, only seeing his complicity in this incident catch up with him in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: What tour the world tour.
Speaker 1: Now you'll notice that all these stories have to do with these celebrities at the center of the show, leaving Left Shark in a class of his own. Because sure, Left Shark was a part of the Katy Perry Show, but it wasn't planned. The moment was not defined by her. It wasn't a tabloid moment, It wasn't a scandal, it wasn't a carefully engineered reveal. Left Shark's going rogue was something weird and organic that brought social media together. But this was a single moment inside of a gigantic show that had been worked on for months. So to give you an idea of how unbelievably complicated it was to bring this and all contemporary Super Bowl halftime shows together. Here's an approximate timeline of how long the Katy Perry Show took to come together, because of course there's a documentary about it, and of course I watched it twice. So the actual Super Bowl show happens on February first, twenty fifteen, but the first rumblings of a Katie halftime show start in August twenty fourteen, when the shortlist is revealed to be Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Coldplay, and The Wall Street Journal reported that there were pay to play rumors, which means their record labels would pay the NFL a premium in order to get them booked. The NFL denied this, and they famously love to tell the truth, so I say, let's believe them. But whatever happened or didn't happen, Katie Perry was in and Coldplay and Rihanna would play the super Bowl in the next ten years, so whatever proper planning started in fall twenty fourteen, and Katy Perry said from the beginning that she wants a guest artist to surprise the audience, and the same big, colorful aesthetic of her touring show. Billboard announced she would be the lead act in October twenty fourteen, and the NFL confirmed in November and through the end of that year, while she and her dancers were on the Prismatic World Tour in the US, Katie's team was communicating and planning their vision to the go to group of Super Bowl halftime organizers. Logistics while she's gone include designing and constructing a stage unique to this specific stadium in more than eight hundred original costumes. Katie and the dancers finished the tour on December twentieth, and after the holiday break, it was all hands on deck to learn an entirely different show than they were doing on tour. So about a month to rehearse a show for one hundred and twenty million people. This is from the documentary.
Speaker 8: We got to physically rehearse for one month straight. First, we were in a dance studio, because you don't get to always rehearse in a stadium.
Speaker 9: They're boiling down six months of work every day, all hours of the day, seven days a week, boils down to twelve and a half minutes, and there those twelve and a half minutes, everything's got to go right.
Speaker 1: And in this rehearsal footage you can see the man who would soon be left Shark. They start rehearsing in the stadium in Glendale, Arizona, on January eleventh, and the infrastructure is massive. There is eighteen thousand square feet of led stage. There's flame cannons, there's a ten million dollar budget. Five hundred stage hands are there to rehearse assembling and disassembling the stage in the space of a single commercial break, and the whole crew is run by a Vietnam vette. They literally run this shit like the military.
Speaker 9: So we have two surf forwards, a palm trees, four be swells, two sharks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're so.
Speaker 1: By mid January, Katy Perry is rehearsing on the gigantic prismatic lion puppet. Missy Elliott and her dancers come in to start rehearsing. There's this amazing moment when Brian gaw is in his shark costume and he and Katie goof around in their mouths all moved.
Speaker 3: What do you think that, TV?
Speaker 8: Do you feel like you have a handle on that costume, Like you're not gonna go timber at any point?
Speaker 1: Honestly, No, this is pretty easy, iconic and you see her talking with her dancers wearing the huge costumes and making sure they're comfortable. They perfect rapid costume changes. There's a flying rehearsal, camera rehearsal, they film promos. Hi, I'm Katy Perry, pop star.
Speaker 8: Welcome to my halftime show testing facilities.
Speaker 1: We're testing. Finally, after six months of planning, it's Super Bowl Eve. Katy Perry appears to have micro managed this event down to the micro detail. And the night before she has this premonition that the Sharks will be the star of the show.
Speaker 8: You don't understand that, like, the Sharks are going to get so much love on life.
Speaker 1: You just heard the voice of Scott Merrick aka Wright Shark. He's actually still a working dancer and was one of the dancing Kens at the Oscars last year. And then it's the day of the Super Bowl. Katy Perry was a pastor's daughter, I guess.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: In this room full of her dancers dressed as chess pieces and Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliott, she gives a pep talk with prayer where I pray God that you will look after us.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much for this incredible opportunity.
Speaker 1: And we know it's because.
Speaker 8: Of you, because you have chosen us, and we believe that we are exactly where we are supposed to be today at this moment, and we will be present and conscious, and we will smile, and we will live in this twelve and.
Speaker 1: A half note it, and then the huge show happens and one of the Sharks did this thing at some point, But after they get off stage, it seems like the cruise takeaway is Wow, that went really well, instantly, well reviewed and declared one of the best halftime shows ever. It causes this huge spike in Katy perry music sales, everything you would hope from a performance of that scale. And if you'll permit me to make it quick aside, it's just interesting that Katy Perry needed months to put this show together because my favorite Super Bowl act learned his entire part in three days. Who But by the time the stage had been disassembled for New England to win the game, there had been three million tweets about the halftime show in the thirteen minutes it was airing, and the Lion, the Shooting Star and the costumes made a lot of conversation, but there was a clear favorite moment, but everyone's favorite moment had nothing to do with this six months of planning.
Speaker 4: Guess who, Katie, did you forget your routine again? Left Shark, Left Shark? No, Katie, don't lie to me. Left Shark, Left Shark Yes.
Speaker 1: I guess it's up to me to decide. Am I going to be a right shark or a left shark today?
Speaker 4: Hashtag deep every time I get sad about the Seahawks, I will turn to left shark.
Speaker 1: If you were wondering, that was me and the shark costume. That last tweet was Snoop Dogg. And while it takes people a little time to catch on, Brian Gaw reveals himself as left Shark the night of the Super Bowl by posting a screenshot of Katy Perry with the sharks on Instagram and Twitter with this caption.
Speaker 4: Yep, the rumors are true, yours truly, And.
Speaker 1: The next day he shares a picture of himself dressed as a rook in the chest sequence. Throughout the rest of the night, the left Shark meme Edits came in fast and heavy. There was left Shark being beamed into the sky like the bat signal. There was left Shark on the poster of Jaws, there was Left Shark looming behind llll coolj and Deep Blue Sea. And sure there were a few people who were being mean to Left Shark, saying that he messed up the choreography, but by and large, it was a stunningly positive moment, the kind you don't get very often on the Internet. Left Shark became the rare main character with all but no negative backlash. It was a mystery of identity, and because it was the Super Bowl, mainstream media was all over Left Shark. The next morning, Katie Perry, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for left Shark.
Speaker 7: How did you like the dancing sharks and the one who went rogue and started doing the macarena that looked like it was from Saturday Night?
Speaker 3: Hear this?
Speaker 7: The shark's screen Left was a killer, noted one sports blog, Left Shark failed out of choreography school. On Twitter, they were compared to the hologram shark from Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Left Shark became the human interest fintrest no the human interest story of the day, but most of the reporting about him in the first wave is either about the perceived miss choreography or about how much the Internet loved him. He was everywhere, and the suggestion that the dancer messed up the choreography was so outsized in the first day that a series of things happened. First halftime show choreographer r. J. Durrell came out on Monday to say that left Shark did nothing wrong. In the Hollywood Reporter, this was the headline.
Speaker 4: Katie Perry's choreographer, Left Shark nailed it.
Speaker 1: Here's the story.
Speaker 4: The Sharks were given two main objectives, Perry's choreographer RJ. Derell tells thhr one perform Katie's trademark moves to the teenage Dream Chorus, which they both did perfectly, and two to have loads of fun and bring to life these characters in a cartoon manner, giving them a tweetledd Tweedledum type persona clearly that was portrayed with the over zealous shark on the right hitting precise dance moves, while the left Shark, Durell says, was playing up a more goofy, fun spirited sports fan mascot type that was just happy to be at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: And interestingly, at the end of this article, Durell leans into the already developing narrative around left Shark.
Speaker 4: Don't forget we all have a little hashtag left shark.
Speaker 2: In US hashtag.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Katy Perry herself tweets out her support of the meme the night after the Super Bowl with an illustrated graphic of an embarrassed left Shark with text reading you the real MVP. And while the reveal of Brian Gaul was very satisfying, as well as the reassurance that left Shark's notoriety wasn't going to affect his livelihood, doesn't really stay the focus of the story here. It becomes this pretty wholesome be yourself message that catches on do your thing with passion and the world will appreciate you. And so for the next few days, there are some pretty funny standard fifteen minutes of fame things that happen. A guy gets the left Shark tattoo, people dressed as the left and right Sharks appeared in a SportsCenter ad and on the Late Late Show with John Mayer didn't look into it further, but drama it would appear that Katy Perry's team wanted to make sure that the left Shark phenomenon wasn't making money for random people. By February sixth, her team had issued a cease and assist to Orlando artist Fernando Sosa for selling three D printed left Shark toys. By February tenth, Sosa's lawyer had fired back, saying.
Speaker 4: We also wonder what Katy Perry could possibly stand to gain from declaring war on an internet meme.
Speaker 1: Well, what she stood to gain was revealed in March twenty fifteen, when the CA Katy Perry stores started selling officially licensed Shark onesies, advertised with this tweet Attention Internet, no longer do you have to diy left shark costume. You can now be a proper hashtag left shark with this official glorious hashtag left Shark onesie. This was launched alongside an officially licensed left sharked T shirt. And I will say that merch is a pretty common refraining with main characters, with people like Hawkta Girl and previously thirty to fifty Faral Hogs Guy. People will sometimes create their own merch in order to combat opportunistic people capitalizing on their image or catchphrase or idea. I do think that it made sense that Katy Perry did this, but it looks a little different when a millionaire pop star is doing it. Because Brian didn't seem to profit from the meme himself and didn't really seem interested in it, turning down most interview requests. After Brian's identity was revealed, it doesn't seem like he has much else to do with the story in the short term, but Katie d Perry and her team stay at it. By April twenty fifteen, Katie posted a photo with a Coachella trash can styled to look like Left Shark. That same month, it revealed that her team had been rejected for various attempts to trademark the character with the US Trademark Office. The requests included trademarking the costume design, as well as phrase's Left Shark, Bright Shark, drunk Shark, and basking Shark, trips off the Tongue March Wars. Aside, Left Shark had a weird amount of staying power throughout twenty fifteen. Most notably, he came up in a commencement speech at Boston University given by Meredith Vieira. Here it is stay away from afex better yet be the Left Shark remember last Super Bowl when the Patriots won. Yeah, Well, and at this point in this speak, someone in a Left Shark costume comes out and it becomes a lesson about doing your own thing. The NFL has also repeatedly made reference to this moment to this day. Left Shark is mentioned in the official YouTube upload of the Katy Perry halftime show, crediting the three musical artists and Left Shark not even the director of the broadcast. This Shark's power is raw power. And it's just interesting because confident imperfection was not always tolerated on that stage, was it. Who oh hmm? And so Left Shark had become the rare feel good character, and as always, eventually the internet moved on. Katy Perry and her dancers flew out to Spain to resume the Prismatic World tour on February sixteenth, twenty fifteen. Brian gaw went with them. He was publicly known to be Left Shark. He'd been defended and celebrated by his peers, and he returned to dancing. Something I found interesting researching this story is that it's consistently the Katy Perry team that continues to make this big deal out of Left Shark, Never Brian Gaw. It's the team that owns the costume, the team that tries to do the trademark. I mean, Brian certainly enjoys the moment itself, but he never tries to seek eternal association with this. He wanted to get back to work, and that's what he did. Years later, Katy Perry and Company with towed out the Left Shark a few times in twenty eighteen, including at a Super Bowl pre show. This is her talking to someone in the Left Shark suit, not Brian.
Speaker 8: But you would be made fun of it all over the world.
Speaker 3: Life Do you think you're.
Speaker 8: A good dancer?
Speaker 1: Left Shark also made an appearance on her tour promoting the album Witness throughout twenty eighteen. Then, weirdly, Left Shark went viral again on TikTok in twenty twenty two, when California Girls had a brief resurgence and TikTokers were buying the costume and having all of their friends wear them and dance in them. I don't know. The only interview Brian Gaw would ever give on the subject would be in twenty eighteen to NPR, But by that time, he'd very much moved on from this moment, although he still embraced the meme in general. He also defended his choreography choice, echoing what had been said years earlier. It was a freestyle. It was fair play, Brian innocent. He also said he had retired from dancing at the end of twenty fifteen, shortly after the Prismatic Tour ended, and was now working at an upscale West Hollywood hair salon. But that was all we knew until now. Because listener, here's the thing about an upscale West Hollywood hair salon. I can make my boyfriend drive me there on a Tuesday morning, and so when we come back, I speak to Left Shark Brian gaw himself in the the lobby of a very fancy hair salon.
Speaker 10: Yeah, welcome back to sixteenth minute.
Speaker 1: It was so nice of everyone at Left Shark's hair salon to not comment on my new haircut, because my new haircut is a triangle shape and that's not the style of fault. I asked for the triangle shape and she talked me out of bangs. So it actually is a good haircut. And today I have an exclusive, in depth interview with a certain left Shark. Brian Gaw currently works at the Serrano Salon in West Hollywood, inside of a store called Just One Eye. The store is huge and gorgeous and scary in a way that stores in West Hollywood can be. The ceilings are high, there's a sexy anime statue, but it's classy. I have no idea what they were selling there, And in the very back is this small, gorgeous salon. Brian is both a successful hairstylist for private clients and for high fashion. His Instagram includes a lot of this work. I'm talking doing hair for red carpets, Billboard, ad campaigns, Vogue, Hong Kong. He has built this incredible career for himself and his friends. Did this day with Katy Perry and I am very intimidated by these kinds of spaces, but everyone at the salon was so so kind. It's owned by longtime celebrity stylist George Serrano, who Brian has worked with for years. So when I arrived, we were in this beautiful, cavernous space, and Brian said that the only place to do the interview would be right there. So this interview has been edited for time and clarity and it sort of sounds like we're sitting in the lobby of a very fancy hair salon, because we are. Here's my interview with Left Shark Brian gaw.
Speaker 2: My name's Brian. I'm a hair stylist and I am also a professional dancer. The dancing part has kind of taken a back seat. So yeah, I'm just happy to be here to chat with you.
Speaker 1: Could you tell me where we are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're in the Sycamore district called a multi brand kind of art installation called Just One I. There's lots of high end retail art and where a boutique salon located in the back called Serrano Salon. We are a small team of stylists and yeah, we're like a little family back here.
Speaker 1: I was intimidated by the doors. I was like, I don't am I allowed to go any Yeah. Tell me about where you grew up, how you grew up. What were you like as a kid.
Speaker 2: So I grew up in Houston, Texas a product of doing how I got into dances. I grew up doing martial arts. I was always very physically active during my high school years. So yeah, I did my first audition that year. I had to wait till I turned eighteen because they didn't have a men's team on the NBA that year, So I ended up auditioning again, got the job, danced for the NBA, and then at that time, like okay, fine, here's the age thing. At that time, like Britney Spears was really big and like her dancers were all over MTV. This was a different time in pop culture. Like you would see your media on TRL, which is an MTV show, or you would hear it on the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still the like Carson Daily era of curation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was like wow, like in my eyes, my young eyes, and like these dancers could be amazing, they could be quote unquote famous. I want to be a dancer. So I would go back and forth between LA and New York to take class and it just really opened my eyes. Like at that time, also one of my former teammates, Gilbert, he had already moved to LA. So I danced right after him and he had already moved to LA. He was on the he was on the Houston Comments Dance seem also, and everybody's like he's dancing for Christina Aguilera. You know, like you could totally move to La and do this, and I was like, oh gosh, like I really want to try that. And yeah, that's sort of how I moved from Houston to LA such.
Speaker 1: A big move so young too. I mean I moved here when I was twenty two, and I still was like, ugh, I could have waited longer. Yeah, like what was that experience?
Speaker 2: Like it was crazy because like, you know, I went to college for a little bit for a few years back in Houston. I still lived with my parents, and my time in La like or moving here. Yeah, I had friends that you know, I'd made here also, but it was like that was my college experience, if you will. You know, I moved out to an apartment by myself. I was auditioning all the time. Luckily I got an agent kind of right away when I first moved here. Okay, and then yeah, it just was really it was a very interesting time because it's like all I cared about was dance. The only thing that was important to me was dance, and that was like my one as a person. I kind of like was always super into my hair anyways, and you can ask my family. Growing up, I would always like playing people's hair and just kind of like I was just some always into that and I kind of thought, oh, well, eventually I'll end up going down this path, but you know, for right now, it's just like just into dance. I wanted to be a professional dancer, and that's what I did.
Speaker 1: So when you get here and you're doing early auditions, what were those early audition experiences like, were they like big cattle calls?
Speaker 2: What were Yeah, it's amazing. You get an agent and you don't realize, like you think you're new here. You get an agent and you know you're the whatever, the quintessential, you're the best from your town, or you've made it because you've got to la. Well, honey, you don't realize like all these other people have been doing this, like right, so you're going to the big cattle call auditions, five hundred people auditions, thinking oh they called you for an audition, but you know this is like, yeah, you stood outside, you waited your turn, you learned the waited your turn, and then you had that couple minutes to go and you were either cut or you kept making cuts or they kept making cuts down the line. It was like an all day process. I think the experience of it, you just enjoyed. You didn't think it sucked because you just cared about dance. You wanted to book these jobs and this is an opportunity to you know, dance for Janet or dance for Britney and you're like, these are the biggest stars at the time, and yeah, you wanted to be a part of that, you know, and you were very close in terms of tangibility.
Speaker 1: I mean, it certainly happened for you. It seems like several times over I'm curious about those early gigs. I looked at your IODB and I was like, Wow, you're on every Disney Channel show I love just so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what I think, what you don't you think? You had this career steered in one way and life just takes you either down that path or either down a more unique path. I think what was also interesting for me is like it did end up happening. I did work with all the you know, hot female pop stars, but early on in the career, in my career, it was very I looked young, you know what I mean, I looked like a kid. So it was booking like commercials and TV and movie spots on kid type TV shows, which is great. Because it allowed me my first like footing in the door. It's like how you work with these big choreographers. It's how you like you booked that first job. You get to know the working dancers, You get to know the working choreographers and directors, and that's kind of how you segue into bigger jobs. You know those other choreographers and directors, they work on other big projects. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You do these gigs, You take these gigs, you get the experience, and then you it you build on it. It's like a stepping stone.
Speaker 2: It is a stepping stone. You know. Hey, some people move out here their first audition, now is you know, their dream job. For me, it wasn't. There was a there was a learning curve. I had to like bust my ass in class because you're good in your hometown, but you're only so good compared to where people have the experience here in LA, Like in LA and New York, you're dealing with the best dancers in the world. And that's just the truth. And honestly, I was behind. I had to catch the truth is I wasn't as good.
Speaker 1: And when you started, I mean like kind of later too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the truth is I was very lucky and I worked hard. I was good enough, but I was never the best dancer in the room. Like I just had the drive to aspire to be the best dancer in the room. And I really feel like the heart of that is what got me to where I ended up getting to with dancers.
Speaker 1: Which is like the st here. I mean, it's like, that's awesome. Supportive family, supportive friends.
Speaker 2: Supportive family. Yes, I had a group of friends here that were from Texas and ended up meeting people here also as you do in dance class. It's really interesting because yes, supportive family, but also a family that I'm the first one to do something non traditional I see, okay, which is polarizing because you know how it is yea. You know, there's an expectation and you're not on that path and you kind of have to prove it to yourself to everyone else. And then you start booking jobs, and then you get on TV and then you do this and that, and it's like that's I think. Another thing I like would love to just impart is like so many of these moments for all performers, it's the pinnacle of their years of work. And I like attribute it to like the Olympics or anything else. Like what you're seeing is a final product of ours years, like a lifetime of work. And it's really easy for spectators or you know, onlookers to just be a critic and the way in which media is so consumed these days or just very easy to be critical of something or another without understanding where the art or performance comes from. And it is it's a little disheartening, but you got to also understand that, like you put your time in and hopefully it's well received.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have to imagine as a professional dancer, it's a testament to your craft if you're not making it look hard. Yeah, but then people treat you like, well, how hard can it be? Because look how easy it? Oh No, I spent ten years making it look that easy.
Speaker 2: I'm glad for where we're at these dates, and like this day and age, we've grown so much, right, but also back in the day, it was rough, like people in power could talk to you a certain way, you know, like you had to look a certain way, you had to I mean, just very bluntly. There was a body standard for both men and women, unspoken but not unspoken, right, Right, the dance world is tough, you know, and it's you're supposed to look a certain way, the shapes are supposed to look a certain way, you know what I mean. And that's how it was back then.
Speaker 1: You know, when do you start touring regularly, when do you start working with these sort of bigger pop stars, Because I know I saw Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, and then Katie Perry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, like I would say probably around two thousand and eight, I was working with a few big choreographers. I was working with Tony Braxton at the time, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, and I was kind of transitioning off that. Like I had done a little run with Miley when she was doing her kind of hand in Montana but kind of trying to like break from so and I think she was. That was also the tail end of her time at Disney. I was also working with Lady Gaga. At the time. Lady Gaga was just getting famous. We're doing live shows videos for her. I had done a couple gigs with Katie. I think the first one I had done was like the Teen Choice Awards or something like that, and then the tour was going to come around and it's like, okay, like you got a foot in because she's familiar with you, but also like you know, you got an audition. I think at that time, like I was, I guess, if you want to say, like at the height of like my dance ability, like all the just sort of all the pieces were there, right, I knew the right people. I had worked my butt off talent wise to get to a certain level where I could perform at that level, and then yeah, I had an audition just like everybody else.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what tour was your first tour with her?
Speaker 2: It was the California Dreams Tour.
Speaker 1: You're getting at it before, and I want to hear more about just giving people an idea of what an incredible grind it is being on these tours. What do your days look like? It seems exhausting.
Speaker 2: When you're touring. This is kind of like I don't know for me or I don't want to speak out a turn, but for me, like that was like a pinnacle of booking a dance job. You're on a big dance job with a huge pop star, you know, arguably that the hottest pop star at the time, at at those specific years. Your job is to rehearse. You rehearse for a couple months before tour, skeleton work. It's a lot of figuring it out and then it's you know, it turns into the refining process. Even when you're on the road, you're rehearsing, you're doing tech, you know, every day before the show, you might have time to like sight see or something like that. And then you're doing a show and then it's like you're either in that same city or you're off to the next city on a bus on a plane, either that night or the next day.
Speaker 1: For weeks, months, years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for weeks months years. Yeah. As I said, like the tour, that initial tour got extended and then went into like sort of a break, which is great. You know, it kept us as dancers working. It sounds like a little when you're like, oh, I'm working once a month or twice a month, but you don't understand, like there's weeks and weeks of rehearsal that goes into one show. It's not just like you show up and do this show. So working once or twice a month, doing a different or new show tailored to like different or specific audiences is still like you're working here's a little tidbit. There was an exciting moment when like there were rumblings right that, like, hey, you guys are gonna get tapped to do the super Bowl. The super Bowl is the biggest show in America. Okay. And then as a dancer, you know, only certain dancers get to do super Bowl because A it has to be a pop artist or an artist that's going to utilize dancers right right. And B you have to be sort of like in with that set choreographers or whatever or that artist. You know that, so it doesn't get to happen. I know amazing dancers that should have done a super Bowl. Again, it's like an anomaly, it's a timeline. But then there are other dances that have done multiple super Bowls, which is also amazing. So back to what I was saying is there are rumblings like, hey, you guys are going to do a super Bowl. And then I remember a specific show we were doing and they were saying management. I was saying, Okay, no joking around, this is very very important show, wink wink, whatever, And I remember feeling like they flew out the choreographers, like we had to rehearse our asses off before this, Like, yeah, I feel like that show was like an audition. Yeah, it's a lot. So we go from like having a break from tour to going to rehearse for the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more. Brian Gaw Welcome back to sixteenth minute. Brian Gaw is one of the nicest people I've ever interviewed. After we talked, I walked to a restaurant that I liked to go to when I lived in West Hollywoo and had no money. It's called Crazy Rock and Sushi. Don't judge me. And while I was there, Brian texted me to say if I had time to come back to the salon. He and the manager had a bunch of free haircare products to give me. It was so nice. My hair is still a triangle. Here's the rest of our interview.
Speaker 2: So I think we started rehearsal like in November or December of twenty fourteen. And mind you, you're rehearsing the same thing for that long, yeah, and just making tweaks and adjustments to that.
Speaker 1: I read elsewhere that you obviously infamously left Shark but also a horse for dark Horse.
Speaker 2: Is that I was a horse yes, the left Shark gets a lot of attention. Great, But I was dancing in the first half of the show. I was a chess piece. This was a full on production, utilizing all the dance, Like I had a costume change that my lovely dresser, Avalon helped me get into off the side of the stage. And then yeah, and then we did the California Girls and teenage stream medley.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the day.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's interesting because, like I think, I don't want to say you become numb to it. I use this analogy not in an ungrateful way, but in a way where you were so trained by that time, like you almost turn into a robot. We've like rehearsed in the arena so many times. You've rehearsed on that stage, we rehearsed at the actual Arizona Arena. I mean, you have done this routine so many times. You're so excited for the day, right, because it's exciting, But if this makes sense, it's also well, okay, here it is, you know what I mean, because you're like, finally, yes.
Speaker 1: Were you rooting for anyone in that particular Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Sorry audience, no, same, but it was really cool. I guess Tom Brady was in that one, right, I think so.
Speaker 1: I think so. I'm from Massachusetts, I should know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that was supposed to be a really big thing. I don't follow football. Don't kill me, audience.
Speaker 1: I don't. I cannot think of an audience that probably knows less about football than my audience.
Speaker 2: It was cool to like be in the locker rooms and like see the players run past. Like the energy of the stadium, the energy of what's going on, it's really super exciting. The game is super exciting.
Speaker 1: So the performance happens, the left Shark moment happens kind of unbeknownst to you. Yeah, take me through what that like you get off stage.
Speaker 2: So what was really cool is if you watch the entire performance, you see that Katie ends the show on her own, right, right. So by the time I get off stage, they're holding us on this like everything had gone according to plan. You know, we're cheering for Missy Elliott's dancers. We're like just enjoy. We're on the sideline and join the moment like this is such a cool thing. We see Katie flying the air and then then you know, look, but the NFL does not play any games. When you're done, you're done, get out, So like you're like escort, like get off the field. We're literally like running.
Speaker 1: Are you still in full shark at this point, full.
Speaker 2: Full shark outfit? Just okay? Then run get off stage, go change and then yeah there's no like you get to hang around. No, go, you're back. We were back at our hotel before the game ended. Yeah, no, you leave you That's what I mean. You're like, I'm furious when I tell you that the NFL there is no no game, like the NFL plays no games with or with any of these people.
Speaker 1: During the performance. It I mean, you're just like it's just enough.
Speaker 2: Just it's gone according to plan, right, I guess you know, Like yes, Twitter was around like in popular, but this is like this happened like a slow burn where like people were texting me like hey did I just see you? Which shark were you? And it didn't really like come out like meme until I feel like either later that evening or the next day, and then literally the next day I was getting fielded phone calls from reporters from people from this that.
Speaker 1: How did they find you? I don't know, like primate agent, I remember this like wave of internet like left shark memes and all that stuff. People found you pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: They found me pretty quickly. Number one. I did post that yes, that was me. But then it sort of carried on because like I was also under NDA, I was working with Katie and the next day, you know, we flew out to go back to La change our bags out, and then go back on tour. So I wasn't like we were in the middle of being.
Speaker 1: On tour like the dancers thinking like, oh, this is weird, this is funny. Like what was your family's reaction, like people in your life.
Speaker 2: No, everybody was super supportive. My friends and family were like wow, you know, like this is great, proud and excited that it was me. It was awesome. I got a great response. Katie pulled us sharks in the like dressing room, she made us like shark onesies outfits. You know, she was happy about it. You know, so it was great, and like I said, we were back on tour. It's crazy to think that it's such a pop culture moment because it was made a meme was made out of it, which is I think is how it sort of like came about. It was just a really fun moment to be part of it. Did my life change? There wasn't like a chain of pivotal moment and you know or any of these things. Like I said, I kind of like went back on the road with Katie. I had done a couple like game show or I did a game show that they said okay too, because you know, she owns the costume and licensing and all that. I'm just grateful to be part of that, you know, yeah, part of that movement. I'm grateful to have that experience. And I think it is that like metaphor for life, Like you have these dreams and aspirations and they like just pan out. Like at the time, my biggest dream was like to dance for Brittany, and like who knew Katie wasn't going to become a huge pop star and turned into this and I was going to get to do all these similar opportunities, but like in a different way. I think a lot of times like we see or look at our path in such a linear way, whereas like if we're just open to how it's going or the universe is taking you, like you'll get these big opportunity. Also, I've had time obviously to reflect on this, and I didn't realize it. I didn't realize how big it was until after the fact.
Speaker 1: The beginning of twenty fifteenth, the year where you decide you want to take a step back from dancing, take me through the rest of the life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know what, Like I think people have these moments in life and you really like reflect and you go on them. Not to sound overly rhetorical, but like where's my life heading or anything, Sure, I sort of actually got handed that to me in the best, most grateful way from the universe. What actually happened is I was like, Okay, I'm going to go back on tour. This is around, like I want to say, like summertime, and I'm like, I'm going to downsize my life. I'm going to get a Vespa, sell my car, do all these things. Well, I had gotten into a Vespa accident where I had a kidney contusion, and I'm like, sort of like, you grew up as a dancer, and I'm saying this because like you're like, oh, your leg hurts, It's fine. That's just sort of like the generation I grew up in, Like something's hurting, you just make it look good or keep it moving right. Well, unbeknownst to me it was. I was like, really, is this serious. Unbeknownst to me, it was very serious. I ended up being in the hospital for six days. I say all this because I thought to myself like, wow, dance was not taken from me, which totally could devastate somebody, right, but it's sort of my outlook on it was like, wow, this is a gift from God, from the universe saying like you have dance, it is still there. It is time to move on. Because I thought in those six days, like why am I here? You know, you have all the thoughts like am I gonna be able to dance again? Blah blah blah blah blah, like all the things. Right, I called a Katie's manager. I'm like, look, I'm in the hospital. I'm supposed to leave. I tell the doctors. I'm like, I'm supposed to leave for Australia in two days. Like there's no like I have to go. Obviously I didn't get to go when I was scheduled to go, and Katie's managers and everybody Katie's so graciously like like take your time, and then you know, I ended up missing two stops in Australia. I missed uh and I met them in Sydney, you know, my first time a fly alone. I'm still on painkillers, but I'm like, I'm finishing this tour and they let me back. I got to finish the tour and then but I also knew I was like, okay, like, you know, you really got to get this like second career, this hair thing going, because like I'm not a naysayer, but I was definitely also like it's never going to get bigger than this, you know what I mean, Like with the biggest pop star getting at the height of her career doing the height of the jobs, like all the jobs, right the VMA's, the Grammy's, like you the super Bowl, the super Bowl, you do all the jobs, and you're like, how many of these jobs do I want to keep doing? Which not to nay say, you can keep doing them and they're amazing and all the experience, they're just so amazing. But I also wanted to like move my life in a way where I felt like, you know, okay, I was able to accomplish one thing and then time to move on. And you know, dance is still with you. You know, dance is still with me today.
Speaker 1: You know, like I feel like such a common refrain you hear from athletes too, of just like what do I do when my body's not cooperating with me?
Speaker 2: Dancers get a bad rap Like we are athletes. People think it's like, oh, they're just have kids having a good time. We work at this, and we work our bodies for this, We train for this, We work hard. I want the publier or whoever to know that, like, dancers work so hard and it is a lot of work.
Speaker 1: I feel like everyone has their version of this, but being physically forced to stop and reevaluate as such a like intense powerful thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so strong and it was something like my dreams were met. I had a gracious team. Katie was so gracious. I have my family, I have a partner, you know, like I had all these support systems that were great in terms of being able to be like okay, what's next, and still being supported in going through that. So yeah, after that, I took a year off to get my license, and then I stumbled upon some amazing celebrity hairstylists, them being George Serrano, who owns this salon assisted him for a few years and assisted a ton of other amazing stylists to just make sure I had a foundation similar to dance. It really was like taking a piece of humble pie to really know that I could do this, but like know that these people have been doing this for eons before me. I need to realize that and learn my lessons, which I did and again land on my feet and be successful in this whole other way, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: So you've been doing hair full time since like twenty sixteen seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, As you said, like be in the city and be able to build this, but also like so many of my relationships have just crossed over. You know, I've seen other of my dance friends like on set, and it's interesting, you know, it's slash fun to have them see me do hair and then you know they're choreographing now or something like that. So it's really it's really great. It's it's it's like I say, I like I'm in the same industry. I just like jumped departments, you know, I'm a differ sharity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: Totally. I'm still that artist at heart, which I'm just grateful in a way to have like evolved as an artist and just been able to continue my path, but just in a different way.
Speaker 1: How do you look back on that moment now where it's like life has changed and you've evolved as an artist and a person.
Speaker 2: When you say it like that, it seems like an eternity. But in the same hand, it also seems like yesterday. You know, it's time. Is a weird thing that it's been ten years. It's taken that time for me to enjoy it, be grateful for that and also understand the opportunity that that's presented to me from that one time. And I'm so grateful that people enjoy that moment and enjoy Katie and enjoy they're enjoying the super Bowl for what it is in the halftime show, for what it is, a fun time. I love that it wasn't like overly criticized or it's this, or that it was a moment in time that was fun. And that's what we're here to do, to share our art. We're here to like just do that share.
Speaker 1: Thank you so so much to Brian gow for his time and his openness. You can follow his work over at the links in the description. This interview just put me in a terrific mood. I think it is so incredible that Brian listened to his gut and tried something new and has built a really impressive career for himself. Twice. It made me feel like making changes in my own life was possible, and it was because Brian gaw always did his own thing. He trusted his instincts, he trusted his passion and didn't do what was expected or prescribed to him. And wait, is this the perfect conclusion I've stumbled upon? Brian has built a fascinating and successful life by embracing his inner left shark. Well, I'm not going to stick the landing harder than that, Brian Gaw aka left Shark. You will always be famous to me. But your sixteenth minute ends now, and here's your moment of fun. More bad reviews of Elvis Presto.
Speaker 4: Whether you watched it in three D or not, the show was overwrought and boring, said one caller to The Daily Press. I just don't buy not half in my glasses. I missed something you didn't.
Speaker 1: All the three D did was bring out how horrible this Elvis Presto character was.
Speaker 4: Forget Elvis Presto. I'll take the three Stoges in three d any day over the fifties flailings of Lukewarm's sons and dance.
Speaker 5: What was the big deal about the halftime? What is with these ponytails of guys? Isn't Barbara Bush such a refreshing change from Nancy Reagan for fest Lady. I think she's going to be a good one. I'm actually looking forward to the next four years.
Speaker 1: Bye. Sixteenth Minute is a production of fool Zone Media and iHeartRadio. It is written, posted, and produced by me Jamie Offis. Our executive producers are Sophie Lichterman and Robert Evans. The amazing Ian Johnson is our supervising produce and our editor. Our theme song is My Sad thirteen and Pet Shadouts to our dog producer Anderson, my Cat's flee and Casper and my pet Rockberg, who will outlive us all.
Speaker 3: Bye.