Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spofford, joined as always by my partner in crime, Weston had Quits. We're coming to you here still from different locations at Lambefield and coming off of preseason game number two Saturday night against the New England Patriots and Wes. The game gets called with ten and a half minutes to go in the fourth quarter. But thankfully we are able to report it was such great news to hear on Sunday that.
Speaker 2: Yeah huge, I mean the fact rooky.
Speaker 1: Rookie cornerback, No, that's okay, rookie cornerback Isaiah Bolden was released from the hospital, traveled back to Massachusetts with the Patriots and so what was a very very scary and sobering situation on the field in the fourth quarter on Saturday night. It sounds like everything is okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And prayers to him and his family and hopefully no lasting effects from that. Just one of those bang bank type incidents that happened in the game of football where two guys are trying to converge, you know, you had Malik Heath was on the reception on that slant route, you know, going for a first down. I mean, that was a pivotal play there as the Packers are trying to continue that series.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately for Bolden he ends up taking a hit to the head and neck area. Everything seemed like, you know, from the Green Bay Packers in New England Patriots perspective, medically, I mean, total professionals being able to make sure that he's in the best position possible to be. Okay, he stays overnight for observation on Saturday night, but then flew home with the Patriots on Sunday. Like I said, hopefully you're just thinking to him and that his season, in his career and in his life more importantly, can continue on, because that certainly is never a thing you want to see on the football field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly not. And I don't think there was any argument or debate as to the decision that was made to suspend the game at that point. It goes down as a twenty one to seventeen final score in favor of the Patriots, And of course the score is not the issue. I mean, in a preseason game, there's so much else going on to talk about, and with regard to the Packers the first team offense minus David Baktiari, who was still sitting out these preseason contests to this point, Jordan Love and company put up another touchdown. A bit of a slow start, there was the mishap with the shotgun snap early on another drive that reaches around midfield but then stalls out, but then backed up inside their own ten yard line. Jordan Love and company went the distance and ended up putting a touchdown on the board before their night was over, And that was pretty good to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exactly what you wanted to see. And to be honest with you, as difficult as that was, and the Josh Myers misconnection there with Jordan Love on the snap, it's not great. But at the same time, it kind of reminds you of you know, the times where you get a shock or something. It just sort of tells you don't do it that way again, right, I mean, there's sort of that muscle memory that that triggers. The intention was in the right place. What they were trying to achieve is trying to catch the opposition for encroachment. Unfortunately, the guy didn't actually jump across the line of scrimmage, so they can move around and dance and do whatever they want, but if they don't actually cross, it's not a violation. So the Packers something they're gonna have to learn from. But all that being said, that third drive, as I wrote about in our insider our notes package afterwards, that I thought was very impressive was that, you know, that fifth series, they need to get the ball moving, and they did that. I mean being able to hit Romeo Dobbs in one of the more spectacular plays you're gonna see, regardless of preseason or regular season. Referees originally said that it was incomplete. Connor lewis up, you know, the eagle eyed Connor Lewis up in the coach's box saying, hey, not so fast they Matt Lafuer throws the challenge flag. Ends up being a huge pivotal play, but more importantly than just Dobbs, because everybody knows what Romeo can do, and I think he's been again just a con distant star for them since he got drafted. Here. Jayden Reid I thought had a huge moment because that showed his value in the slot in what he potentially can bring to this Packers' offense. I was super impressed by him and being able to snatch that ball coming across on that through route from Jordan Love. They end up scoring the touchdown nineteen yards and the Packers end up finishing that drive on a high note. From what it sounds like for Matt Lafleur, this will not be it for Jordan Love that he will probably be back out there with the first team offense against the Seahawks. But regardless, one hundred and thirty passer rating, I thought a really positive sign for him with his growth and where this Packers offense wants to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was so much to like about that touchdown play to Jayden Reid. I mean, first off, you have aj Dillon transitioning in an instant from carrying out a play action fake to having to pick up the Patriots blitzer, and not only does he pick him up, but he basically just buries him into the lambeau Field turf and the pass protection held up. You know, really, for the bulk of of Jordan Love's stint out there in each of these first two preseason games, the pass protection, even without David Bacciari, has been pretty darn good. But then the velocity that Love is able to put on the throw. The fact that Reid snatches it with his hands out of the air and then still has the body control to turn and cut inside the pylon to get it into the end zone for the touchdown. Just a lot to like on that touchdown play, as you said. Matt Lafleuur confirmed on Sunday that Jordan Love will play the number one offense will play in the preseason finale against Seattle. Didn't say how long. Again, the expectation, I guess based on the first couple of games, it will probably be a couple series. It will probably depend on how things are going. I mean, if they take the field at the twenty five yard line goes seventy five yards for a touchdown on the first drive, then Matt Lafleur may go all right, hey, we're good, Like let's get out of here. So that maybe would be the ideal situation. But the other thing too, with regard to the the first teamers that played, I thought, you know, the Packers number one defense was put in a tough spot with after the fumbled snap and the Patriots take over in the red zone, then they're able to finish that drive and get a touchdown. Then after that, you know, really, other than maybe the one play where Ramondre Stevenson busted a run, you know, for twenty plus yards, there was a run that leaked out there. I thought the Packers starters and and the twos that you know were maybe subbing in some of the the twos that were subbing in early in the game. I thought the Packers defense held up pretty well to Mac Jones and that Patriots offense, And certainly the star on the defensive side was Kingsley and a bare who the second year edge rusher, fifth round draft pick out of South Carolina last year. He ends up with two sacks. One of those he strips the ball from Mac Joness, it recovers it himself and actually then that set up a scoring drive for the offense. So big night for kings Leyannigbari. Because while there's all kinds of hope, of course that Rashan Gary will be back for week one, there's no guarantee how much he's going to play necessarily right off the bat, and you can, just as you always say defensively, you can never have enough cover corners. You can never have enough edge rushers either. And if kings Leyannigbari is making those year two strides that you really like to see that could go a long way for this Packers defense in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you covered all of it. I mean, you look at the way that Nbarr's played from day one to where he's at now. This is a guy that I thought, you know, outside of that forty time there wasn't a lot to take fault with with him coming out of South Carolina. He was an impressive physical specimen and a productive, consistent pass rusher for him, you know, yeah, it's important. He's going to be a guy they're going to look to. But what I was more impressed with in this game was the play style aspect of things and what Matt Lafleur has talked about time and time again right now, right where it's it's going to be an idea of guys being aggressive, being at the point of attack, and I think that's translated to every level of the defense so far. And I'm personally really interested to see if they can carry that through into the regular season now because some years, Mike, you cover preseason games and it ends up being a lot of just four man rush and guys just trying to beat their man, almost like an extension of like a one on one type period. It hasn't been like that in this camp. So, whether it's in Igbari, whether it's a guy like Colby Wooden or Carl Brooks who had two more quarterback hits in this game, all the big names that we talked about all summer, they're there, with Kenny Clark and you know, hopefully at some point you know seeing Gary Outen team periods, but Preston Smith. But it's these young guys that are going to be the ones that really build out the restless defense. And on a night where the Packers did not allow a quarterback hit on either Jordan Love or Sean Clifford, they were able to get plenty of pressure on the Patriots side of things. I think that's a good sign for the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And I think you up a good point about the young defensive linemen. Certainly Colby Wooden and Carl Brooks. We haven't seen them, you know, go against somebody else's first unit, first string necessarily, but the opportunities that those guys have been given a fourth round pick and a sixth round pick as rookies, the Packers know they're going to be counting on them to be the next man up on those defensive line. You have to like what you see. They've they've gotten penetration in the backfield. They've been impactful both against the run and with regard to the pass rush. You can't ask too much more from a couple of young defensive linemen who are trying to find their way, but pretty soon they're going to be thrown into the fire and they're going to be asked to hold their own and produce for this Packers defense.
Speaker 2: The biggest moment of Sunday's press conference, you know, Matt Lafleur talked for almost a half an hour, but one of the big lines I thought that was very important there was when he was talking about Carl Brooks and he said, you know, he's doing a lot of good things, but we're gonna need him to do that in the regular season too. And in that moment, I thought to myself, I'm like, we're talking about a sixth round pick here, We're talking about a guy that was drafted in the two hundreds. That isn't always the way you speak about a rookie. Sixth round pick. It shows you, at least in his case, that is, there's a lot more to this guy. There's a lot of meat to that bone, and I think that's probably the thing the Packers are most excited about right now. Last year there was a lot of work to do in the defensive front. It wasn't on one specific player, but they made a lot of alterations to this group. And I feel like when you add a wooden when you add a guy like Kyle Brooks or Carl Brooks excuse me, and you have a guy like Jonathan Ford, who I think has also taken some strides as a pass ru you know, as a run stuffer, that room has built out really well for them. We've talked about a time and time again, but you know, there were learnable teachable moments in this game. You know, Carrington Valentine, I think, you know, in some ways saw some of the changes in the NFL that he's going to have to adapt to. Certainly, the Packers are still figuring out what's going to happen at safety, but as it relates to that defensive front, during a time in which they went without Rashan Gary and are moving on from you know, Dean Lowry and Jaron Reid. I feel like this training camp and specifically these preseason games have given us a lot of answers to questions that we're lingering into the summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and quickly before we shift back to the offense, you mentioned it too with regard to safety, the Packers still figuring things out there because as much as we've talked about, you know, Jonathan Owens was with ones and to various more then back to Owens, well, it was back to Rudy Ford as the starting safety in the game on Saturday night. So we'll see upcoming here in the preseason finale Saturday afternoon at Lambeufield against the Seahawks. Just just how this, how this shakes out and where the where the Packers decide to go with really what has been the only the only starting position on the defense that's been up for grabs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and that's where I'm going to be looking to see, you know, kind of who grabs it, right, because we've seen time and time again where it's been so close here and you've had Jonathan Owens get opportunities, You've had you know, Darnell Savage working with all these different types of safety, but who's going to be the one that holds onto that job in the long term. I think the door is even open now to a guy like Anthony Johnson as a rookie, seventh round pick who has had some good practices. I think first and foremost, you're probably still looking at special teams with him and some of the things that Matt Lafleur has complimented him on. But when you're the only safety drafted in a thirteen player draft class after you don't resign, you know, Adrian Amos, that creates natural questions for Okay, what is this guy's potential ceiling? Where could this thing go? For him? And for me, it really is going to come down to who fills out that five you know, nickel and that sixth dime because that is pivotal and this is a passing first league. You know, Darnold Savage is going to be the shot caller back there now, He's going to be the guy that's going to be helping direct traffic. But at the end of the day, it is what it is. You have to see who's going to step up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I want to get to a couple other things about this preseason contest. But first some sponsor business. Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five. And at Cousin Subs, we have something for everyone like our Wisconsin Cheese Kurds, mac and Cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl. Cousin Subs fifty years of better. Well with regard to competitions, and you mentioned in the secondary, the Packers are figuring out starting safety, what exactly is the nickel and the dime going to look like moving forward, and that secondary is still, you know, waiting on Eric Stokes getting back and being activated off the pup list. He has not practiced as of yet, but we know that that you know that day is coming where he's going to be activated in one form or another, whether it's before the end of training camp or at some point during the regular season. On the offensive side, the competition for the number three running back spot and for the depth spots at wide receiver still seems as wide open and undecided as they could be at this stage. There's a lot going on. There are a lot of guys, you know, Emmanuel Wilson, Patrick Taylor at running back and then at receiver, whether you're talking Grant Dubo's or Malie Heath or Somori Toure. A lot of action going on that the personnel department is paying attention to, and these young players are not making it easy on them, which is a good thing for the Packers in the long run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's gonna be one of the more difficult cuts that the Packers are going to have to work through here in a week's time. I mean, it's crazy that we're already at that point that you're you know, it seems like training camp goes on forever, and then suddenly it's staring you right in the face that we're looking at a fifty three man roster. I think it's going to be really intriguing to see who all emerges at those positions where we talked about the depth, because it's easy enough to say, okay, well, this player earned it or this player deserves it, but then you also do have to consider the special teams piece to it. A guy like Patrick Taylor ranks really high in the special teams regard. Packers are hurting for tight ends in this game, Mike, and they unfortunately lost another one with Henry Pearson who's a full back but naturally a tight end. So what happens? I mean, you're seeing guys like Patrick Taylor playing as an up blocker now on the kickoff return team. Usually don't see running backs do that sort of thing, but he has the size and sort of the acumen to handle it. Packers really value that. I mean, Tyler Goodson I thought looked really impressive during the offseason program, but then he gets a shoulder injury. And then you have Emmanuel Wilson, who is a really natural runner, but is he going to be able to play the other phases which maybe necessarily he hadn't done a lot in college. Those are the big things that Packers are going to have to look for here in this next week. This final preseason game is gonna be really intriguing to watch though, because you're going to see the starters play a little bit. I'm guessing Sean Clifford will get some more reps, but Matt Lafour even said it on Sunday he wanted to get Alex macgoose some reps at those threes until unfortunately that injury happened with Bolden. So there are you know, ninety one players on this roster if you conclude Kenneth o'demegu and having that exemption. So trying to figure out that fifty three and then the sixteen man practice squad beyond that is going to be a real challenge, which, as you've said time and time again, is something that I'm sure Brian Goodacunts and his scouts really do want because you want to be stuck with some difficult decisions right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it'll be fun to see in this preseason finale if Sean Clifford can go three for three in two minute drills. He's two for two at the end of the first half, a touchdown and a field goal. Let's see if he can get some more points there. But with that we will call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the final week of training camp leading up to the preseason finale on Saturday afternoon at Lambellfield against the Seattle Seahawks. We will have it all for you on Packers Dot com for wes I am Mike, thank you for tuning in. Everybody, We will see you next time.