Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 2: At least two of us are ready for the shot of for the start of shots. There is one person here in the s WBC podcast studio.
Speaker 3: Who was didn't have his headsets on.
Speaker 2: You not only didn't have your headset on viewers over there all right.
Speaker 4: He was was mumbling about something my volume.
Speaker 5: What it was? That boy?
Speaker 2: He was mumbling and grumbling. Grown belove, Mickey have mumbling and grumbling along with Bill Jones and Everson Walls. And this is another week of mix shots and Mickey I expected to come around the corner and look out on the practice field and maybe see football players on a football.
Speaker 5: Maybe I heard tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow's okay, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
Speaker 3: I think that's the schedule.
Speaker 5: Scheduled day is the player's day off.
Speaker 2: Today is a player's day.
Speaker 5: Everyone thinks, at least some of the radio states got to have a lot of thinking that today is Today is the day.
Speaker 3: Now that's they're allowed to start. I guess this week. Okay, but you got to have a full long weekend.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: So nothing on Friday and nothing on Monday. Probably, Well, usually in the off season program they go Monday Tuesday, they have Wednesday's arrest day or makeup day, and then they do Thursday Friday. Well, the Cowboys don't have as many as maybe that's why normally have it. Today they got they got doc from into physical doctor one.
Speaker 2: So that's why they're starting on Tuesday, not Monday.
Speaker 3: And well, no, that's why it's only it only lasts two weeks I believe, and then the mini camp.
Speaker 5: You're not sure, that's two weeks and then the mini camp and then.
Speaker 3: It is over. So there, okay, tell me, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Well what you said you were sure?
Speaker 3: Well, I knew what the schedule was, okay, And you normally get what nine ten of them?
Speaker 2: You normally get ten and back in the Jason Garrett days, one of them was the last one was when the high school kids came here.
Speaker 5: It feels like so long ago.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so we will make up for the Cowboys lack of a full allotment of organized team activities by having our own organized team activity today called mix shots.
Speaker 6: That's right, unorganized, Yeah, that's right, that's unorganized, all right.
Speaker 2: So Mickey's got his full legal pad there ever since trying to figure out his devices on my right and there's so much to get to.
Speaker 3: Right, where do you want to start?
Speaker 2: I want to start at the top of your legal pad. Having said that, here's where I want to go. Okay, at some point over the course of the next forty five to fifty minutes, how much better are the Cowboys now than they were a year ago at this time. You don't have to answer that now, just you can ponder it and give me something, give me up to speed on what you got on your legal pad there that.
Speaker 3: We owners owners meetings today today Minneapolis. I don't know if they'll get to it or not, but there's a chance they would vote on the change of ownership in Washington with Josh Harris's group seemingly having come to a deal with Dan Snyder, and I guess you know, it's not official until the owners agree to the sale, so that'll be one of the things that they I would imagine they talk about. And it seems like another topic that got shut down at the previous owners meeting was flexing Thursday night football.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that?
Speaker 5: Everson war say, flexing?
Speaker 2: Who's playing late in the season. I believe it's weeks thirteen through seventeen. I believe that's right, something like that. It was not approved in the March with a two week notice of fifteen day notice that they could flex.
Speaker 5: That sounds good.
Speaker 3: It got shot down, got shot down. Now it's coming up again as a twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Day with a twenty eight day notice.
Speaker 3: Too much change, that's right.
Speaker 4: I don't understand why they even turned down the first one. I like them fifteen days.
Speaker 3: Fifteen would be closer to being more as well one a better games.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons would be fans. In fact, I'll call up the schedule and we can look at well, we can look at what about the Cowboys are playing a Thursday night game this year the week after Thanksgiving? Okay, they got the Thursday afternoon game on Thanksgiving, right, and so that would be the start of it week thirteen against Seattle on a Thursday home game. So say you're a Cowboy fan and they're not going to flex out of the Cowboy game obviously on a Thursday. But let's just pretend here, okay, okay, and you're a fan from California or even Lovebook or wherever, and you're making plans that you want to come watch your team play on a Thursday night. You get airline reservations and so forth, and then and you get a cheap airfare to come in for the game, and or let's make it this way, Dallas is Let's say Dallas was playing at Seattle and you had an opportunity to go to that game, and then all of a sudden, you find out fifteen days in advance that they're not going to play that game now, and so you're out. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're gonna play.
Speaker 3: They're just gonna play.
Speaker 2: They're playing on Sunday, they're not playing it on Thursday. That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, But then that that messages yeah, that's right, So you're out whatever money is, out of money, that's right, And that's the NFL gives a damn.
Speaker 2: Well, there are some owners who do care about that. So that's why it did not get approved in the spring. That's one of the reasons.
Speaker 5: You think that's the reason.
Speaker 2: Well, they were vocal it was vocal about it that.
Speaker 5: That's that's a pleasant supply.
Speaker 4: But yeah, actually they were vocal about Joe public losing.
Speaker 5: Here. But here I didn't think they had it in them.
Speaker 3: Here's the other side of that. Okay, whatever Joe fan loses, they're worried about better games on Thursday night package for the network that's prop broadcasting game and they want to keep them interesting.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: They don't want any you know, no nothing.
Speaker 5: So the viewing the viewing public versus the visiting public.
Speaker 3: What they lose in attendance, they make up make up because that network exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Week fourteen, New England plays at Pittsburgh. And if let's say New England and Pittsburgh both got off to horrid starts this year, and now you're at the midway point of the season, and.
Speaker 5: You're looking at two losing teams, and you've got.
Speaker 2: Two teams that are with two and six records or whatever. And then they decide to flex out of that game, and and the other thing you're affecting, you're moving a Sunday game to Thursday, regularly scheduled Sunday game, and so then you've got, let's well, they're not going to do this with Dallas. Well they're not going to do that with Philadelphia Dallas either, But all right, you're taking a game and you're moving it to Thursday, and so you're messing up those fans plans too, that we're planning to spend a weekend in wherever, Vegas or something.
Speaker 5: Then we're going to have a Thursday game. We're going to have a Thursday game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be a Thursday game. It's a question.
Speaker 5: It may not be the matchup there, that's right.
Speaker 2: So right now, the week fourteen game is New England at Pittsburgh. The Week fifteen game is the Chargers at Vegas, and Week sixteen is New Orleans at the Rams. In Week seventeen is Jets at Cleveland.
Speaker 3: So those so and think about this. And I'm going to use the Cowboys as an example, although it'll never happen to them if they've got it Thursday night game, right, say? Other teams have travel packages like Star Sports, yes, right, yes, and people before the season starts, they put their package together and it's a Thursday night game.
Speaker 5: Got the off days they got off from work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, show up Wednesday. They knew they were gonna come on Wednesday, listen to me, and you of course get them ready for the game.
Speaker 5: They got a whole whole two three days playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeahah, and then all of a sudden, now we're gonna do it on Sunday and they've already sold those packages.
Speaker 5: I've always wondered about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's always been an issue for me, just as Joe Public. You know, Yeah, I'm worried about I know they're going to make it up in regards to viewing, but in regards to that person, I never thought. And I must come in the NFL owners for some of them speaking out against that, because that's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's really And even twenty eight days, if you buy a package before the season starts, you got to put.
Speaker 2: An asterisk by and yeah, and then you're going to change, yeah, try to change your travel plans.
Speaker 4: So why would they to pick twenty eight days to even consider twenty eight days? That's a little ridiculous because you don't know what kind of matchup is going to be intriguing at that point twenty eight days before can we No, why would they why would they even consider that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, So we'll see what there was another deal about messing with the kickoff.
Speaker 2: Rule.
Speaker 3: I don't know that they got usf or maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a fair catch on it.
Speaker 3: Was it a fair catch?
Speaker 5: Okay? And what were they saying?
Speaker 2: I got to look it up.
Speaker 3: If you can maybe call a fair catch the way you do in college, if it's not in the yen zone?
Speaker 2: Okay, and you get the ball the twenty five yard twenty five?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is that? Do you think that will be significant at all? I think it happens, That's what I'm saying. It's a kickoff. Most kickoffs go out to the en zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's like, don't worry about stuff that you don't need to worry, right fixed.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like our government. They try to fix the stuff that don't need fixing.
Speaker 5: But the herd at it, the hard stuff.
Speaker 3: We'll just put that off, right, We don't need to deal with that.
Speaker 5: And Bill is very slow today.
Speaker 3: Well, and while he's looking, I found another neat note last night. Let's keep the show after after our show that former Cowboys assistant coach Todd.
Speaker 5: Bowles, who for mc grammling coach as well.
Speaker 3: Right, he finished up college in nineteen eighty six and went to Washington, didn't finish college, and last week he graduated from Mount Saint Mary with a degree in community relations. Promised his mother when he left, I'll return to college, you know, So how many years is that? Thirty some years later he was taking classes well in the I guess in the off season in here the Tampa area, and graduated. Yeah that's good stuff, walked the stage and gave a speech.
Speaker 5: Oh he gave a speech.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically told the class that he was more nervous given this speech than any halftime at a supercow.
Speaker 4: Well, you know you don't hear him talk much, yeah, right, yeah, so to hear him give a speech, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: He's in his element when he's in the locker room, Yes, yeah, talking to a team. Someone else graduated, I'm Jalen Hurts got his master's degree at Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Really, if he went back and he walked, he did.
Speaker 4: He yet, I thought that's where you were going next, because yeah, they were mentioned together, and God, you think about how he's doing things is really changing the way people look at the athlete, not just the African American athlete, but any athlete you've got Jalen Hurts has.
Speaker 5: An all female.
Speaker 4: Representation and that is something that it's extremely special and to be.
Speaker 5: That forward thinking, that's pretty cool on his part.
Speaker 3: Did you find what you were looking for?
Speaker 2: I did, and you basically had it right. It is the college rule that they had proposed, which was you can fair catch the ball inside the twenty five yard line and be and it would be ruled a touch back. And the idea is to cut down on kicks.
Speaker 5: And no kickoffs go inside the twenty five yard line.
Speaker 3: Well unless from the street.
Speaker 2: From a strategic extent, and you and the college rule, I believe you don't need you do have to make the catch.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can catch.
Speaker 2: So you could hit.
Speaker 5: A pop up.
Speaker 2: It might be in high school. I think you can just you can just call a fair catch whatever. But uh, from a strategic standpoint, you may want to hit one of those high pop up and make sure that if they drop it, then you have an opportunity to recover a muffed kickoff.
Speaker 3: Or if they have a very good directional kickoff guy and they tried to pin you, like in the corner at the five yard line, well.
Speaker 4: You're putting pressure on that enough to where it's become a danger to our play, right has that happened so many times to where okay, we need to pay attention to this, because I don't recall that strategy being used too often last.
Speaker 2: Year and the According to Albert Breer, how players and coaches have argued that the rule, the fair catch rule, could actually end up leading to more concussions. One of the arguments players in coaches are making is that if teams fair catch every kickoff inside the twenty five, the opponents could send squib kicks or low line drive kicks, which would lead to potentially dangerous situation.
Speaker 4: You want, if you're worried about all of that, let's just stop kicking off, right, I mean, if that's what you're worried about, let's just stop. Put the picking up, just start at twenty five and let's go with it. All of these rules.
Speaker 2: You got, but this is going to get voted down.
Speaker 5: Well, you got guys running down there for nothing.
Speaker 2: So apparently they don't have the vote sport. It's going to get voted down, which leads us to the Cowboys issue at kicker right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, and that's not just field goals. It's kickoffs kickoffs too, because some of these older veteran kickers aren't so good at kickoffs.
Speaker 2: Robbie gold is not kicking off, yes, at age forty.
Speaker 3: That's kind of why San Francisco.
Speaker 2: And how is Brett Marr and his kickoffs?
Speaker 3: He was awfully darn good.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look at Brett Marr compared to some of these other free agent kickers that are out there, and in the regular season, his stats stack up pretty well against all of the free agent guys out there.
Speaker 3: We talked about all that.
Speaker 2: Mason Crosby and Randy Bullock in Tennessee the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Didn't make the playoffs, he'd be making three million dollars today somewhere.
Speaker 2: And it was seventy eight percent of his kickoffs seventy He had at one hundred kickoffs and seventy eight of them were touchbacks.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 3: He's the best.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 3: I'm the last kicker out there.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry. I like the guy.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the heck happened, if how the wheels fell off, but I like the guy.
Speaker 3: He could just get passed that one, so.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to hold that over his head forever.
Speaker 2: Test to review. In the regular season, his field goal percentage was ninety one percent. He was twenty nine out of thirty two was a number beyond fifty yards.
Speaker 3: And two of them were fifty nine yarders and they were clutch, Yeah, they were club. He missed two from fifty.
Speaker 2: Missed two from fifty, So inside fifty nine he was twenty nine out.
Speaker 3: Of thirty missed a forty six yarder.
Speaker 2: Okay, extra points fifty out of fifty three ninety four percent.
Speaker 3: And don't forget the lumpy field in Tampa.
Speaker 2: Robbie Gold. Robbie Gold was twenty seven of thirty two eighty four percent on his field goals, and he was fifty to fifty one on extra points. And let's see Mason Crosby was, and he's thirty nine years old. On September third, he was twenty five of twenty nine on field goals and thirty seven of thirty nine on extra points. What about suck Up and Ryan suck Up and he's the one that did not kick off Gold actually was. Gold's touchback ratio was forty nine point five percent on his touch backs compared to seventy eight percent for Maher. Suck Up did not kick off. He turns thirty seven in September thirty one for thirty eight on field goals because that quarterback couldn't get them in the end zone. He kicked a lot of field goals Tom Brady on that lumpy field, so it's eighty one point six percent extra points. He was twenty four out of twenty five.
Speaker 4: You know, it would be so nice if Brett just came out and just start talking trash, like, hey.
Speaker 2: Man, he'd like a job.
Speaker 5: Bring these punks on. Man, who is this guy?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, man, you can't.
Speaker 2: I would be so maybe that's what he needs to do to show that he's a confident kicker, because.
Speaker 4: Right now he's letting everyone eat him alive. I have not heard of a response, you know, a comeback or anything.
Speaker 2: He needs a personality to transplant, and having Everson Wall's personality, well I don't.
Speaker 4: Know about that. I don't know about that, but he need to have to talk some trash. He needs to talk trash from.
Speaker 3: Somewhere, and I'm told he hasn't even been called in for a visit or a workout.
Speaker 2: Okay, On that note, yes are the Cowboys or how much better I think it's I think we'll will agree the Cowboys are better than why they were a year ago. Yes, yes, how much better? When we come back on mix shots, I'm.
Speaker 7: Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions. Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 5: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I just thought you should know.
Speaker 8: I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 5: Have you felt this way a long time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I just think I'd really like.
Speaker 8: The taste of Doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 2: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 2: Too, dude. Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor.
Speaker 3: You deserve to mixed shots. K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys from Carporent Holmes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now two one four two two five four eight six to so Kpostcompany dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here with a mixed shots and uh one other note on Brett Maher. You recall when the Cowboys signed him last year, it was during training during training camp, and so it's not like they are panicked right now about finding a player.
Speaker 3: We will go to training camp and they will have a couple kickers there for sure and see how things are working out, and then they'll have a tryout. And as I told John Fossil when we talked to him the other day, I said, so kind of what you're telling me is is we're going to training camp once again to chart every field goal attempt by whoever's kicking from how far make or missy. And he goes it's about right. So we're back to those days.
Speaker 2: And the other thing to factor in on this is after June first, the Cowboys will have more money to play with, right.
Speaker 5: And why is that, William?
Speaker 3: They get Elliott's base salary back.
Speaker 2: Ten point ten point nine million is dead money is five point eight million for this year, which is already post June first cut, and right now he counts sixteen point seven million against the cap, but ten point nine million are coming off of that after June first, since he has designated a post June first cut, so that not only gives you more money maybe if you if there's a veteran kicker that you want to sign, there's also more money if there's a veteran running back that you want to sign.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: And basically they looked at that ten point nine as it was almost like, but they've already done it, right, they've signed all their draft choices, but that was like a savings that that would count that would take care of the draft choice signings.
Speaker 2: According to over thecap dot com. Right now, according to overthecap dot com, right now, the team cap space is ten point five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Right now, which is about what you want to enter the season with, and so it's about to go up to twenty million right next week. So that means when everybody keeps asking, well, when are they going to sign these guys to an extension like Trayvon Diggs right well after June one and once we get the training camp, they'll have more money, and you can do that because they're his his base salary and cap hit and you know CD lambs, they're all very low. You can handle that this year.
Speaker 2: Here's the other part of it now with OTA starting this week and continuing next week and then mini camp, which is what are the dates of many camp June sixth, seventh, eighth, something in that range. It's a little earlier than what it has been in years past. Yeah, first week of June, so it's about a week after that money becomes available. You now have had your players in here. The coaches have had their players in here, new players that they're working with, and they can figure out what exactly they have after they conclude the end of this portion of the off season, and then they they'll huddle together and say, okay, we could use help at this position or that position, and yeah at a veteran player.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, if you're a veteran player still out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, that's what I remember leaving here, and that's what that's what I was trying to avoid.
Speaker 5: I did not.
Speaker 4: Want to get into another training camp, and that's my first day in training camp, right. So when I went to the Giants, when I talked to them. When I talked to Plus Sales and Belichick, I made sure and got there before they started doing all of their off season acquisitions, even before they drafted.
Speaker 5: I was able to get in there.
Speaker 3: And or for some guys, some guys don't want to go to training Did I just see a story somebody said that he wouldn't sign until after training camp? Was it sue?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 3: I think he was still there, And I thought, I there's a number of veteran players at every position out there right now.
Speaker 2: There's more this year.
Speaker 5: They did not be starters.
Speaker 2: There are there are better players out there in free agency than a lot of the draft picks.
Speaker 4: And my point when I was trying to get it, I was trying to get in as a starter. Yeah, I was not trying to come into training camp behind the ball.
Speaker 2: I think some of these would be could be.
Speaker 5: Starters out there.
Speaker 2: It's different this year. The reason it's different this year is because of the way the market played out and everybody had to settle for these veteran minimum deals. There's the market was so flooded with veteran players across the board. Didn't matter whether you're a running back, wide receiver, offensive lineman, defensive side of the ball, whatever. There's so many veteran guys out there, and this is what the players wanted. They wanted free agency. Well, now you got free agency and there's so many players out there that that, Yeah, you had the first wave where you got really good money. And then after that, basically starting about March twentieth March twenty fifth, guys were signing. They just wanted jobs, and they were signing for one year, one point two million dollars across the board.
Speaker 3: Having said that, I saw her last week, James Washington signed with the Texans. So he's getting another another shot somewhere.
Speaker 4: Well he's getting it as a healthy hopefully as a healthy person, right exactly. I just know that that was my entire goal was to get in and I was going to take someone's job, and I knew I could do it with that those cornerbacks that they had, So that was my reason.
Speaker 5: For going in. I didn't just want a job. I wanted the job.
Speaker 2: And so I think for a lot of them right now, a lot of teams are looking at what they have with their rookies and okay, and they're determining right now from a learning standpoint the transition to the NFL. Can this guy come in and play immediately for me or not? Or do I need to go get a veteran guy to go? You know, the Cowboys are sitting there at their left guard position. They got to figure out where they are from an injury standpoint, how they're coming along with the Terrence Steele recovery and tying where he is and okay, what do you have with you Madie Doga who actually is coming off an injury from last year as well. And are they set at the to fill in and the at the starting left guard position.
Speaker 3: So one thing I noticed that I can't remember if I mentioned it last week or not. The fifth round pick seemed awesome. Richardson ye had to make guard. He's a tackle to make guard. Let's not forget Farniac. He actually had to play a couple of games and did okay at guard, So there's going to be some competition.
Speaker 5: He seems so big for guardac.
Speaker 3: He's not thinking ball, probably ball. You're probably thinking he's moved there also, but he's six eight. That's a little big. Farniac looks like could be a guard. So they're going to have some competition there and they'll have a chance to see, especially in training camp. Get these guys reps. You know, you can't put a ribi on every plate every day of the week, right, You can't have a star first second round player on every spot on the offensive line. At some point you got to develop some guy, right, got to develop Nate Newton And at some point.
Speaker 5: You had me thinking that got at home.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you got to just develop a Mark two.
Speaker 5: And a very good you know that stuff's got to happen.
Speaker 3: I think about the guards that were playing with you when you got here. You know, they certainly weren't first round picks or you know, Pro Bowl players.
Speaker 5: They were veterans, but they were good, and they were veterans.
Speaker 2: By the way, James Washingtons sionn with a Saints, Saints, Saints, I know it was all right? So all right, how much better are the Cowboys now than they were a year ago at this time?
Speaker 3: Well, they're not better at kicker, But here's my.
Speaker 2: Deal, are they?
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, right, yeah, I don't want to sell Tristan. This guy ain't no short. Right, here's where they improved. They are better off where they're at right now, at wide receiver, and I thought when they got towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, they were because Michael Gallup had still not fully recovered from his ACL, they were one receiver short and the quarterback will never tell you that, but it was basically seedy lamb and what and you were relying on thirty three year old He'll to come in after not doing any football for what four months of the season to be that guy that was going to save you. He helped, but he wasn't great, right. I know he made a couple of nice catches. So with the addition of Cooks and Gallop, I'm figuring a year further remove from that ACL surgery, that they're better at wide receiver.
Speaker 5: I have a stupid question, is t Y coming back?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen him sign anywhere, and you know his reason for not playing last year. He wanted to watch his kids play football. Did he get his fill in one year and doesn't care about that or do they still want to do that and say I can be a hired hand in December. Yeah, so we'll see where that one's going. So to answer your question, I don't think they regressed whatsoever defensively, with the signing of Gilmour at least at one of the inner spots. We'll see what happens with Anthony Brown, who.
Speaker 2: There's another one that's out there in free agency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he will be because he's probably not ready to play any football and maybe not in training camp either, Anthony Brown. But you know he can you know, if it gets to August and he's he's good with the Achilles, you know, you can sign him to a one year kind of prove it deal.
Speaker 2: Or if it gets to November all a long season, yes, exactly, and they know him.
Speaker 3: Uh, and I'm sure he doesn't want to have to leave here after all these years. But he's got a rehab in my understanding, he's got to at this point when his contract expires, got a rehab on his own mm interest.
Speaker 2: Well, with all due respect to Anthony Brown. Yes, Stefan Gilmour, assuming he's healthy and he and what we've seen on tape the last couple of years at Indianapolis, and he's still got it. They are upgraded at that position.
Speaker 5: The talent level has upgraded and their depth.
Speaker 3: And darn Bland, he's got the experience now he's rookie and he got Jordan Lewis coming back, and you're hoping Jordan Lewis comes back healthy. Uh so, yeah, you're better off there. You know, you re signed your safeties, You're good at linebacker, should be good on the defensive line.
Speaker 2: And the addition of Mazzi Smith is in the eyes of the scouts and the coaches are thinking this way too. Dan Quinn is that was a missing piece on their defensive line.
Speaker 5: They said what they call them the physical freak.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, I think they you know, they should be improved. I mean they were. You know, the darn thing about the whole deal is they were darn good last year until that San Francisco game. Okay, it it clouded everything they accomplished last year, despite Dak's interceptions or drop passes and bad routes that led to interceptions. Right because most of those games they were able to win. They didn't overcome it. In the playoff game, this team was scoring points. We forget that right now, you changed what's sort of going on on offense? Okay, now, can you go nine straight games like averaging thirty some points a game again? Because that was pretty good.
Speaker 4: One thing that we just have to realize is last year's interception numbers was an aberration for.
Speaker 5: This entire team. That's one thing you can say he did.
Speaker 4: That's just this has never been a serious problem from this offense. Is turnovers. We have never had that be an issue throughout an entire season the way it was last season. To me, it's just a different season compared to all the other seasons we've had since this coaching staff was here. So I'm not worried about them repeating those mistakes. Of course, they're going to change the philosophy now. We'll probably run the ball a little bit more. It seems like we've got a lot of bodies up there so we can move the chains without necessarily putting it in the air. That's fine with me. I could go either way. I trust that, I trust our wide receivers. I trusted I trust Brandon Cook coming in. You get a thousand yards with every team that you're on, then I'm going to depend on you to do the same thing here because you probably have a better quarterback here than you've ever had in your entire career.
Speaker 3: And especially last season.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I'm looking at it as Yeah, I think we definitely did not regret.
Speaker 5: I think we improved.
Speaker 2: You know, you look back at that San Francisco game though, and where San Francisco took control of the game in the second half. They had the pass to Kittle and then they had the PI down in the red zone. But they were also able to run the football and convert on third down. They were seven to fourteen on third down in that game. They ran for one hundred and thirteen yards on thirty two carries, which isn't a great average, but they had thirty two carries and they were able to control the foot in a close, tight game like that, they were able to make that drive to get them the touchdown that got them the victory.
Speaker 5: And we could we couldn't move the change, remember moved the change.
Speaker 2: Pollard getting getting hurt.
Speaker 5: Injuries on the line, too, didn't we How are we doing now?
Speaker 3: They had gotten back to normal?
Speaker 5: Peters, well, they they got back to normal.
Speaker 3: But did they They had to put parent Steel wasn't playing right. He was out right.
Speaker 2: It was out the last five games of the year, so they were hurt.
Speaker 3: They have to move, you know, replace they were playing iron at right tackle maybe on.
Speaker 2: College line on Colline was your Connor McGovern fullback. Yeah, the third tight end guy.
Speaker 3: We were doing all we could so they to answer your question, they've I think what they've got to prove is they can. Can they still run the ball effectively without ze? And everybody's assuming that Tony Pollard's gonna, you know, rush for you know, fifteen hundred yards. Well, I want to see it.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see it, but I don't think that's the way it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm gonna need it.
Speaker 5: I still think we need to be running back by committee.
Speaker 3: You're going to have another guy there and it's got to help out. Is it Ronald Jones? Is it Deuce? You know, we'll see got to replace his twelve rushing touchdowns. And I'll continue to say.
Speaker 5: That I'm right there with this bags.
Speaker 2: Ronald Jones, who had seventeen carries for seventy yards in one touchdown in six games with Kansas City, makes it feel good.
Speaker 5: Doesn't Why would you bring that up trying to be positive because.
Speaker 2: There's money available. There's money available. It comes June.
Speaker 3: First, probably going to be running backs available.
Speaker 2: There are definitely running backs available. All right, we wrap up mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War, Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps a weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future dot Com. Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 2: Hey Cowboys, fins, ready to spice up your next watch? Party. Bring Yo Kiero Guacamole be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great, fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys tra dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 3: To mixed shots, register now for the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboy Youth Camps presented by Visiline Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at at and T Stadium or Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Use code Camps twenty three to get twenty five dollars off registration, visit dallascowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 5: So I thought that's what you're going to say.
Speaker 3: I wanted to know if you were like one of those former players teaching dance six to sixteen year olds.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here with mixed shots. Last we're going to about is that right, Producer Supreme.
Speaker 3: You can go as long as you want.
Speaker 2: Wow, that opens up a whole new.
Speaker 3: In that case, we'll we at least know the dates and time for the preseason games. Yes, we saw that, Lets start.
Speaker 2: Would you like to reveal them? I will.
Speaker 3: The first preseason game is back here at at and T Stadium at the unstable starting time of four pm on Saturday, August twelfth. So they must have a bunch of games that day.
Speaker 2: Or maybe the Cowboys are going back to O start.
Speaker 5: Maybe they are.
Speaker 2: Yes, So the Cowboys is gonna make that choice, and who they get playing.
Speaker 3: Again at Seattle the next.
Speaker 2: No, no, but the home game against shack Jack Sackville. And they got training camp to get back to as well, and so might as well start this. It's air conditioned comfort at Atum. Go ahead and play it at four o'clock. You're on a flight by nine o'clock, and you're back to California by ten o'clock California time.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe eleven eleven had something bigger going on and they had to play.
Speaker 2: Well, there is.
Speaker 5: Not that weekend, not that weekend.
Speaker 3: Okay, good right, all right? Then they go back to California and August nineteenth. The one away preseason game will be August nineteenth, Saturday, nine pm Central start.
Speaker 2: More traditional traditional time on the West Coast.
Speaker 3: And then the final preseason game is August twenty sixth, the Saturday, seven pm eight T and T Stadium, and it's against Vegas. We were all set for Vegas to be the away game, so you'll be on the coast hopeful. Yeah, yeah, didn't work out. I'm not sure I want to go to Vegas after these last couple of hockey games.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of other sports, can we give the Rangers some love. They're really kicking some ass man. I'm enjoying this. The family even wants to go to a game. Hitting machine out there right, not bad at all.
Speaker 5: I'm really impressed with him.
Speaker 4: They got numbers out there, the stats are doing well and everyone's talking.
Speaker 2: I did a lot of it without their how three and twenty five million dollars. I'm sure he's back, Corey Seeger and he came back this weekend and it was lights out when he started the season, and they've been without He's.
Speaker 3: Here already hit two home runs in whatever three or four games he's played. Uh, I thought we should do this mention the passing of Jim Brownes eighty seven years old. You guys probably weren't old enough to watch him play, at least I was not. I did as a young almost teenager.
Speaker 5: I saw I'm in dirty.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be my next boy.
Speaker 2: I saw him in the locker room in San Francisco after the Cowboys beat the forty nine Ers in the NFC Championship game January nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 5: He was a Cowboy fan.
Speaker 2: What was he doing? He was just there.
Speaker 3: He was there. You know, probably I just I just I just remember, you know, how tough a runner he was, how guys did not want to tackle him by the way, and my last I think the last time I saw him, it was on TV for something. Yeah he looked, yeah, it didn't look really good. But one of my great memories was back in two thousand and seven when Michael Irvin was getting inducted Pro Football Hall of Fame. So was his starting right guard, Gene Hickerson, And unfortunately for Jean, he was kind of in the same physical shape as Chuck Hayley. And I remember the yellow jacket ceremony on Friday night before the inductions on Saturday, when they give the guys their Hall of Fame jacket, and Hickerson was there, and jim Brown was there and he wheeled him in on his wheelchair.
Speaker 5: It was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It was almost like, here's the guy that paved the way for me, Now I'm pushing him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It was a pretty emotional thing because I think Jimmy Brown's first.
Speaker 2: Year was fifty fifty seven and.
Speaker 3: Hickerson came from Ole Miss in fifty eight.
Speaker 5: The guy that mentioned John Wooden.
Speaker 3: And I was going to say and then John Luton was the left guard and he had two I think maybe Pro Bowl or least maybe Hall of Fame tackles playing at that time for Cleveland when they were pretty good. By the way, they won the NFL title in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 5: Four before Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Maybe Frank Ryan was the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Doctor Frank Ryan, of course, doctor we talked about all right. Just to put in perspective. And it was a nine year career for Jim Brown in the National Football League. Just to put in perspective, he was the most He was the Rookie of the Year his first year in nineteen fifty seven. He was the Most Valuable Player in the league. In nineteen fifty eight, he finished third in the MVP voting. In fifty nine, he finished third. In sixty He finished fourth in the MVP voting in sixty one, had a down year in sixty two, only made the Pro Bowl that year. In sixty three, he was second in the MVP voting. In sixty four, he was second in the MVP voting, and he won the MVP in sixty five. I'd take that back. He also he won the UPI There was AP and UPI MP. He won the UPI MVP in sixty three Memories and in fifty eight, so it wasn't consensus, but he was when he was the MVP is Rookie of the Year league also, so one, two, three, four years he was MVP either AP or UPI and he finished second in the voting three of those years too.
Speaker 3: And guess what I didn't know this the nineteen fifty seven Cotton Bowl he was the MVP rest for one hundred and thirty two yards in a loss to TCU twenty.
Speaker 5: Eight to twenty seven at Syracuse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was at Syracuse.
Speaker 2: Oh how great would that have been? It would have Bob Lily against Jim Brown and Syracuse at the Cotton Bowl.
Speaker 4: So you talk about pushing into the Hall of fame, he tried to push me into the Hall of Fame as well. My first year I was up for modern Day, it happened to be my last year of eligibility for modern Day.
Speaker 5: He Rother let him endorsement for me. Really, they sure did I still have it?
Speaker 3: We like, John Wooten told me some great stories about blocking for him and how he would run people over at the goal line. And that was it that no one wanted to touch him again. It's like, okay, just go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You wonder if he made this lineman all pros. Yeah right, I'm sure that had something to do with it. They didn't even see the film, like, hey, he ran for almost two hundred yards, then the line must be good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm thinking back then, he was probably considered a fullback, right they did.
Speaker 2: He was his position and the fullback was the running position. Back then, he was listed on Pro Football Reference listed as six to two hundred and thirty two pounds. I guarantee you there were a number of offensive linemen who are two hundred and thirty two pounds and back then.
Speaker 5: As facts, you should know this man, You're the only one that was alive.
Speaker 3: Back then on this table. Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: John Wooton, by the way, was two hundred and thirty five pounds.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: So Jim Brown was two thirty six two two thirty two and John Wooten six two two thirty.
Speaker 3: Five, and both of them, along with Bill Russell Kareem Uh were a part of that nineteen sixty seven Cleveland summit when they got all those players together to support Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 5: I think that was at Jim's house, wasn't It.
Speaker 3: Was somewhere in in Cleveland, obviously, and there was a bunch of people there that you know, you would if you saw the picture, you'd recognize who all those.
Speaker 4: All those people wasn't there that was invited A Simpson. Well really he decided not to show up.
Speaker 3: According to nineteen sixty seven, Yeah, it's a it's a. It was an iconic picture. It was one of the guys from the Green Bay Packers was there, the defensive Heinebacker defense and Willie Davis Grambling staff. And by the way, John Wooten was in.
Speaker 5: That Grambling State University.
Speaker 3: Grambling State University. So yeah, and then he made all those movies there a dirty dozen. I can still see that. I don't know if you guys saw the movie, but it was.
Speaker 5: It was one of the all time I'm going to get you sucker. You've got to see that movie, guys, if you haven't.
Speaker 3: Hilarious, I'm sure it's somewhere.
Speaker 5: It's gotta be here, definitely. But all of all of his stuff is coming out of the woodwords.
Speaker 3: But he reach he hired at thirty and.
Speaker 4: That was the most unique thing about the story. When you talk about putting things into perspectives. Yeah, everyone else. They're trying to play it out right. You know, as long as you can go, he.
Speaker 2: Can make more money away from football, and.
Speaker 5: He knew that.
Speaker 4: He knew that because they talked about how I believe the story was that they never saw him go into the training room.
Speaker 5: They said they didn't see him because he came so early.
Speaker 4: So he wanted to keep that persona of, you know, being that invincible guy. But he was coming in, they said, real early, to take his treatment so that the players themselves wouldn't find.
Speaker 3: Out, which is remarkable that when he finished, he was the all time leading rusher. I looked it up twelve three hundred and twelve yards, but in nine seasons, nine seasons, as.
Speaker 5: It went out on his own turn.
Speaker 2: And those were twelve and fourteen game seasons.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, absolutely, And because they didn't go to fourteen until sixty one, I think it was, Yeah, it was twelve game seasons.
Speaker 2: So so I guess back then in the early sixties, it was him in football, and it was Wilt Chamberlain and basketball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 3: It was Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell, Bill Russell and now and back then and people probably it was.
Speaker 2: Mickey and Willie and baseball, right, let's go.
Speaker 3: But the only NBA games that were on TV, and this was before the Bulls got started in Chicago, was it was a Sunday afternoon matinee game. And I swear to god, if I saw Boston play Philadelphia one more time, that's all we got to see. It was Boston and Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Well, we fell in love with Bob mcado though back that's our era by the way as well. Very cool guy, very cool guy.
Speaker 3: Speaking of long careers, I just saw this note. Josh Johnson quarterback. Yeah, he re signed with or he signed with the Ravens and it.
Speaker 2: Was resigned because it's his third still.
Speaker 3: Third time, right, re re re signed with him. He has played with fourteen different teams, fourteen.
Speaker 2: With last year San Francisco, he was with den I think he was with Denver on their practice squad at age thirty six. I thought San Francisco signed.
Speaker 3: Him before the playoffs started. That's right, because he ended up being the backup for Party came in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NFC Championship g.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Perdy got hurt and then they put but they and then they put and then he did, he get hurt and they putty back.
Speaker 5: Then. Of course the ning bag McCaffrey had to take over.
Speaker 3: Another indication that there's not enough quarterbacks to go around in the NFL.
Speaker 2: On Josh Johnson's wikimedia page, you know, it's endless. You can go as long as you could go. I mean, it's infinity as far as how long a Wikipedia page could be. It almost takes infinity to name all of his teams that he's played.
Speaker 3: There were two teams in like alternative leagues too.
Speaker 2: Maybe alternative leagues.
Speaker 3: Well back then it wasn't the XFL or the US.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know to there. Yeah, he played for the San Diego Fleet in twenty nineteen, in the Los Angeles Wildcats twenty Hey man, that guy never quits the Sacramento Mountain Lions in twenty twelve. So yeah, you're right, that's three of them.
Speaker 4: Uh, and they're still signing him. Yes, I mean that's the point.
Speaker 2: And he's not playing in it. And outside of the.
Speaker 5: He's got to get the clipboard. Just call it the day.
Speaker 3: So when's Chase danielsign I was gonna say his his agent and Chase daniel agent have to be the all time agent.
Speaker 4: But at least at least Josh still looks like a football player.
Speaker 6: Though, well, what are you saying ever looked like a football.
Speaker 2: Get a load of this. This was this would have been probably nineteen years ago now or what was the first year we had the Cowboys Channel.
Speaker 3: I believe that was the two thousand and four or five.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and four, It would have been two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Been Chase.
Speaker 2: Chase graduated from South Lake Carrol in two thousand and four. Okay, so it was nineteen years ago. We broadcast on the Cowboys Channel a game at Texas Stadium, a playoff game. It was South Lake Carol against Denton Ryan. And I was the play by play announcer and Mickey was the analyst. And I couldn't find Mickey before the game, and Mickey, we were up in the makeshift press box broadcast booth there at Texas Stadium. And Mickey came back up and he had been down on the field. He wanted to stand up next to Chase Daniel to see because Chase was going to Missouri. He wanted to see if he was taller than Chase Daniel.
Speaker 3: I wanted to see he was tall enough to play quarterback in college.
Speaker 5: You're about to get fired.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're about to get fired and you're down here trying to pee.
Speaker 5: Thing going on.
Speaker 2: I just went And that was nineteen years ago and Chase Daniels still playing in the NFL.
Speaker 3: At his charity golf tournament, I told the story and I said, I just wanted to see if he was tall enough to play at Missouri, right, And then I stood next to him. I said, Okay, he's a little bit taller than me, not much.
Speaker 5: So you you are the barrier.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Okay, stood, you're the bar You're the bar.
Speaker 3: Hey, if me and Deuce got to grow something, have you stood next to dou Yes, he's got to grow.
Speaker 5: He likes standing next to Deuce.
Speaker 3: He needs to and Cavante Turpin need to grow an inshot, I tell you that. But yeah, I ended up telling that story to him, and when I told it, he smiled and he got up on his tip that he was taller than I was.
Speaker 2: All right, take her out of time. On this edition of Mix Shot, it's almost noon. We got to get Everson out of here. He's got to get some lunch and.
Speaker 5: I'm going to take some golf lessons. Oh really Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna play in the Senior PGA Championship this week. My team Gascal.
Speaker 4: Bowl of Golf, so I don't want to let him down. So I'm gonna somehow get some type of game going. You know, the weeklyaying Boca Raton. I can help the team.
Speaker 2: It's a big golf week. You can get some lessons at either the Senior PGA Championship at PGA First Skill this week over to Fort Worth Colonial, the Charles Schwab Challenge.
Speaker 3: I saw at that at the PGA thing in Frisco. It said they had a two acre putting green. Wow, like think you can practice your pudding and it said it was two acres.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's huge.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of This.
Speaker 2: Will be the first first golf that's ever played on that course yes week.
Speaker 3: So you should go there and if you can improve your pudding.
Speaker 5: No, I'm going to Golf Tech.
Speaker 4: I'm going where my stuff is gonna be all videoed and analyzed and everything.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna be a go confident as.
Speaker 2: Much help as you can get you all Right, That does it for this edition of Mixed Shots, and Mickey will have a full report on what he sees at OTAs next week on whenesdayday. Next Monday is Memorial Day.
Speaker 3: And I think that might be.
Speaker 5: After that, we got.
Speaker 2: One more after that, two more editions finding it down all right, have a great Monday, and we'll see you again next week on mix Shots No Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.