Speaker 1: Hello, gorgeous, it is La La Can Welcome to the bonus episode of the Give Them La La podcast.
Speaker 2: I just felt the.
Speaker 1: Need to have today's bonus episode be about news and headlines, because I feel like our lives are a headline these days. So much is going on in the world, and I just wanted to do like a little bit of a throwback or it can be current. What headlines do you remember super super vividly. You remember where you were when you heard the news, how old you were, like just every detail is just stuck in the front of your mind.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: They wrote in my friends, mom, I call them my friends. Our listeners wrote in amazing headlines that actually brought me back to like, oh my gosh, I remember that so well. Like I remember I was modeling Maggie Setaro. Oh wow, yes, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 2: You guys prom dresses.
Speaker 1: And I remember hearing the news that Farah Fawcett had died. Someone came in and said that she had passed away, but Michael Jackson died on the same day, and then Farah Fawcett's passing was a little bit outshadowed by Michael Jackson's passing and I remember someone running in as we're like clicking right, We're in a huge studio and I'm standing on like three apple boxes because I'm everyone thinks I'm very tall. When people meet me in person, They're like, you're so short compared to what I thought you would be. So they had me on really uh stacked up apple boxes to make me taller. And I remember almost passing out because my knees buckled. I forgot to like not buckle my knees after the news, Yes, and we just started playing Michael Jackson music the rest of the day, and then from there went to Lake Powell with my fine looking boyfriend at the time and only played Michael Jackson on the boat.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, crazy, Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Like I know, I'm like in the studio right now, you are standing on apple boxes like I envisioning all this.
Speaker 1: No, I That's why I wanted to ask these questions because between Diddy and then like everything happening, and just like Newsworthy headlines, I thought it was the perfect time. Mom on your blue sticky note that you have them?
Speaker 2: Do you have them?
Speaker 3: Brian, I have a piece of paper now too.
Speaker 2: Oh great, Okay, which ones do you remember.
Speaker 3: I remember Princess Diana. We were in Sun Valley at the ice skating show.
Speaker 2: How old were Easton and I?
Speaker 3: Your guys were little like you were, probably three or four. I don't know what year did she? Did she pass?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, but we'll look it up because there's someone wrote in the Princess Diana Passing. Yeah, and you remember that we were in Sun Valley. We haven't been to sun The only time we went to Sun Valley, Idaho?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: She died in ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I was six or seven?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: For every Labor Day, remember.
Speaker 2: I do remember?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I remember you started walking on Labor Day when you were a year old in Sun Valley.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it was a sentimental trip as well. Yes, okay, so you remember Princess Diana.
Speaker 2: What about you Easton?
Speaker 4: Mine was the Kobe Bryant?
Speaker 1: You stole mine? Which thing about Kobe Bryant is passing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Just like where I was? Where were you? I was at home?
Speaker 2: Okay, shocker?
Speaker 4: Where was home?
Speaker 3: Though? Then?
Speaker 5: I was in Salt Lake City, Utah, at our thirty six forty eight home, okay, our first home. Yeah. I was like cleaning the basement because wow, two shockers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, life, it's different. You weren't here, now, I don't think I was here. You were here. I was preparing the house for There's no.
Speaker 2: Way you want to know how I know?
Speaker 1: Tell me because I heard about his passing. We were on a private jet leaving Salt Lake. We were at sun Dance. We got the news and we were in the air. We had just taken off and everyone was freaking out that the phones wouldn't that the plane wouldn't have Wi Fi, or that the WiFi wouldn't work. We were headed to I believe it was Ohio to start shooting a movie, and everyone was sitting there going Rick Fox was on the on the uh chopper too. That's what everyone's saying is Rick Fox was on the chopper. And my ex gets a text back from Rick Fox saying like, no, it's wild that everyone thinks that I'm dead right now?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: And I so you I were you with me. I feel like you might have been with me flying to a high. You know you were because I remember you staying in my room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I know I was alone, because I was like cleaning the house because me and mom were in talks of moving elsewhere. So I was like just mindlessly going through life because dad had just kind of passed too.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so oh my god.
Speaker 4: We're going through life. So then that happened, I was like, oh, no, the.
Speaker 2: Girl dad, the girl dad. I remember that that was mine.
Speaker 4: No, I won't forget.
Speaker 5: I was watching TV downstairs in the basement as I was cleaning and vacuumating all this, and then the TV show just went off and it went into ESPN and all the news and they were like, we have breaking news. Kobe Bryant has passed in a helicopter. And I was like, this isn't real. And then I got on my phone and I just sat on the couch. And then right after that happened, my ex girlfriend or my girlfriend at the time, came over and then we put Pablo and Bernie, my pitbulls.
Speaker 4: We put him in Kobe Bryant jerseys. Oh I think I have a picture of him too.
Speaker 2: I love that Kobe Bryant. It was my childhood crush. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The thing that sucks.
Speaker 5: About Kobe Bryant is we got the best of Kobe Bryant, and I think we were about to get the greatest of Kobe Bryant when he was retired. Really he missed prime Kobe.
Speaker 2: Oh and why do you say that?
Speaker 1: Because of what he was doing for women's basketball basketball.
Speaker 5: He was going to be an amazing announcer. He was like he could have been a coach. Like I feel like he did everything that he needed to do in his career and he was just about to be a dad and that was going to be.
Speaker 4: The greatest of his time. Like yeah, he was going to do and just like just.
Speaker 5: Like the ground where he would lay for me or people like, you know, just like I'm a uncle to two girls. Like there was a lot of things that he was doing that I was like, I could start to do that.
Speaker 1: No, he definitely was putting women's sports on the map. And there's a girl I think her name is Sabrina and she plays I'm Blinking on her okay, who attributes her basketball career to Kobe Bryant, and she she said she still texts him his phone to this day. Because you know, Kobe put together that the Mamba Facility where his daughter played, and a lot of great athletes, female athletes came out of there.
Speaker 5: So I think you're right, and we lost I in my opinion an athlete that was going to be one of the greatest WNBA players in Gigi.
Speaker 1: That just sent chills all over my body, that went to my head. She was going to be special, Oh East, And I love that that I share that with you, that I remember.
Speaker 5: That all those girls on that helicopter, like that whole team, Like there was just something about Kobe's presence that I knew all those girls were going to have a chance of greatness.
Speaker 4: They had a lot of hope and a lot of greatness ahead of them with Kobe Bryant, and I.
Speaker 1: Think they were going to a game right they were. Ye, it's devastating. A lot of people that wrote in these headlines are like intense. It has to do with passing, you know, celebrities that died for whatever reason. And it got me to thinking, it's so wild that most things that are not devastating don't ever get a ton of headlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it wild?
Speaker 1: Like the ones that stick with you are the ones that are really like traumatic or like a big freaking scandal. So I do want to say that something that made headlines this week is that Beyonce has now been is the most nominated artist for Grammys in history.
Speaker 3: That's phenomenal.
Speaker 2: It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Right, bad bitch right there, this person, said Jean Benet Ramsey.
Speaker 3: I remember that one too.
Speaker 1: I was very young with this one too, and I remember being terrified because she was a young girl and I was a young girl, and I remember sitting there being like, oh my gosh, there's people out there that are snaw little girls and killing them.
Speaker 3: Right, and they never caught who did it.
Speaker 2: No, that is what.
Speaker 3: Is I'm dumbfounded. I don't understand with DNA the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the problem was that the crime scene was just not perfect, you know, and one one little mistake. We watch a lot of twenty twenty in Dateline, do one little mistake, one detective going in and touching something changes the whole entire case. So it's wild that still to this day it's unsolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Waking up to Princess Diana's death.
Speaker 4: Do you guys remember Anthony Bourdain? No?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, when he passed.
Speaker 5: I don't remember, like all but the chef. Yeah, he was like travel and eat great foods.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember.
Speaker 5: I remember when he'd I don't remember where I was, But I remember, like because I always watched like Cooking Channel and stuff, and they were always like in dedication to him and stuff. So I remember that for like a good month of of news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of that, but sad, very sad jfk jus plane crash.
Speaker 2: Oh where were you?
Speaker 3: I was at home?
Speaker 1: Wow, a lot of big news coming to the Birmingham household while we're at home cleaning?
Speaker 2: What okay?
Speaker 4: And it were productivity?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How did you find out?
Speaker 1: Because back then we didn't have social media, you didn't okay, so you had on the news? Wow, isn't it wild to think? So as I was looking up headlines, I googled naturally, I would say, like Kim Kardashian, Mary's Kanye West headline, and it was all just.
Speaker 2: Like internet pictures.
Speaker 1: But then I googled Menendez brother headlines and newspaper articles came up.
Speaker 2: Just such a.
Speaker 1: Shift in how news got to us back then and how it gets to us.
Speaker 3: Now and so quickly now, well, now.
Speaker 1: You can't even process what's happened because one thing happens and twenty minutes later something else happens. Blessing and occurs by the way for the reality TV world because something happens in my life where I'm like, it's the end of the world, and then one of my cast members does something more fucked up and I'm like, oh, thank god, it's over. It's well, I think it's very true. Okay, So you were at home vacuum me. Yes, and then that was brought even onto Housewives with Radzy.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, you know what. JFK Junior was kind of royalty in the US.
Speaker 1: You know, of course it was royalty, and it was it was very tragic what he is.
Speaker 2: In the ocean yep.
Speaker 3: And he had his wife on board and his wife's sister.
Speaker 1: But also was he the one pictured with his the wrong hands saluting or something.
Speaker 3: He was the little three year old that was saluting his father at the funeral.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the same person. Yes, Wow, two very.
Speaker 2: Tragic deaths in the same family. Yes, am I doing that? Right? Is that was JFK. Was he the one that was shot in the head.
Speaker 3: Yes, JFK and then his little boys.
Speaker 2: JFK Junior, who was the plane the plane crash.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Chrissy b seventies said the Biggie and Tupac murders. I was very very young when that happened. You guys know how much I love Tupac, like borderline obsessed. But my sister in law, Cheryl, who was in the room when Sosa was born, she remembers being on a bus to school in San Francisco and getting the news and she said it was like people just completely missed school, didn't show up, and that the news came through the radio in like the yellow school bus wow, and people lost their minds sobbing. And I thought that that was really interesting that she could remember exactly where she was during that too. The next one that I have is Britney Spears had shaved Okay, a little lighthearted, Yes, Britney Spears shaving her head. I remember Britney Spears with the shaved head. And also there's the paparazzi car and she's got the umbrella where she's trying to break the wind.
Speaker 4: That was that moment. That's of her shaving her head. I won't forget.
Speaker 5: I was in school, okay, and it was other, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you remember there was.
Speaker 5: One kid or a couple of kids with the iPhone or the Internet on their phone.
Speaker 4: Not everyone had it. So these kids were how old were we?
Speaker 2: How old were we?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Where were if the iPhone?
Speaker 1: I was in seven? I was seventeen. I think when I got my first iPhone.
Speaker 4: Let's see when she shaved her head, because what I remember.
Speaker 2: You know what's wild?
Speaker 1: Though, there are many moments that I experienced on the low level of celebrity that I do have where I go, fuck this, I have zero control of my life.
Speaker 2: I need to shave my head or something.
Speaker 4: No, I totally in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and seven, so I was seventeen.
Speaker 1: I do not blame her at all for being like I have no control over my life. I'm shaving my freaking head because I'm just annoyed.
Speaker 2: You know, and I'm gonna WIT's end, WIT's end.
Speaker 5: I just remember people at school coming up and like going like, did you see Britney Spears? And then I just see the photo of her with a shaved heads. See, that's how I remember it, just at school.
Speaker 3: You've seen her documentaries and how she's just like like the paparazzi, they don't leave her alone.
Speaker 2: No, I truly cannot imagine.
Speaker 3: Like I don't blame her for shaving her head.
Speaker 1: No, I don't either, And they would follow her when life was already really freaking hard. It wasn't like they were following her because you know, her new album dropped or celebrating something great.
Speaker 5: Wanted was justin Timberlake when it was going so like, that's when they were always doing her dirty.
Speaker 2: No, it's disgusting. No, they really didn't.
Speaker 1: And that's why people from all over the world had marches for.
Speaker 2: Brittany exactly on the date, Brittany exactly. I love this person.
Speaker 1: So it's n Paul Marrow, who also said the Britney Spears head shaving, but also talked about the headlines of any time on Now that's.
Speaker 2: What I call music. Album drops. Do you remember that? Oh? I totally remember. It was always such a big deal because it's like.
Speaker 1: A new CD with lots of different songs from different people.
Speaker 2: I gotta get it.
Speaker 1: Kids Bop was like the other version of like, you know, rap songs that were saying by kids and took out the cuss words.
Speaker 2: But now that's what I call music.
Speaker 1: Would be like Vitamin C as we go on, and then the next one would be like Amma it was like a bunch of different songs and edited.
Speaker 4: On.
Speaker 3: That's what music seventies, eighties, nineties.
Speaker 1: No, yes, we had, yes, they we bought well, Dad was obsessed, that's what.
Speaker 2: That's literally what I listened to on the way to school.
Speaker 5: We had seven that's what I call CDs and our seven tracks that we had.
Speaker 2: No, literally it was it was the greatest.
Speaker 3: Of course, it is still a.
Speaker 2: Little bit Amonica my life. No greatest. Brandelina breakup.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Remember that vividly, you guys either.
Speaker 1: I remember the scandal of them like getting together.
Speaker 3: Because he was with Jennifer's It wasn't he married to Jenniferan.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then they did mister and Missus Smith do you remember?
Speaker 3: Turned into mister Andy for real?
Speaker 1: And it did go down in flames like the end of the movie. Yikes, that's when you have to lift the caller. Steve comes out. Jody Arius trial. Do you remember her? I don't remember. I actually just started watching this one. She was like super sexy and was dating this guy and he ends up dead. But then she shows up to trial and she's like wearing glasses and trying to downplay her sex appeal.
Speaker 2: Chris Watts. I'm not remembering that either.
Speaker 3: Lacy Peterson, Nos, Lacey, Yeah, Chris Wats.
Speaker 5: He's the dude who killed his wife with the two kids, isn't that Chris Watts.
Speaker 2: Look that up because that did happen in Utah.
Speaker 1: And if we're talking about that, I remember Super Bowl Sunday going over to my friend's house and they cut from the Super Bowl I think it had ended and cut from the super Bowl and flashed too.
Speaker 4: Chris Watts who killed his family, Oh, this.
Speaker 2: Is a for the one and put them and put them in the tank.
Speaker 3: He murdered his wife, she was pregnant, and then the two kids, and he worked in an oil.
Speaker 2: Field and that's where he put the kids.
Speaker 3: And he had a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do remember that. And then obviously Lacy Peterson.
Speaker 3: I don't know where I was, and yeah, Scott and Lacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that, by the way, next like.
Speaker 3: Shivers when one went down.
Speaker 2: Oh Shivers on thirty third City, Utah. I think it's now a swig.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's thirsty, Yeah, thirsty, same freaking pain.
Speaker 4: It really is, it really is.
Speaker 1: And you can make him at home, you guys, don't go spend the money. I make him every day in my ninja thirsty they now have They now have soda flavors, and it's become a real addiction. I'm now one of the Mormon people who makes them.
Speaker 2: At nine am. I'm like, oh, it's the best, It is the best.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's its way into the home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not mad about it. But they released a new doc on Netflix. This was like a month ago, and then they came out with Scott's version on Peacock and it made him look even worse.
Speaker 3: Like you were guilty to begin with, but now you're even super like you've put the nail in the coffin.
Speaker 1: No, truly, And it's not even that they pointed us in a direction of who it could be. They just wanted to give us enough pieces on why they were just giving us reasonable doubt to release him. Yeah, and it's like, no, no, no, no, no, I'm gonna need someone else to be responsible, not just a bunch of other things that could clear your name.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was looking at the currents of where he dumped the body.
Speaker 2: No, buddy, you killed your wife. Get over it. You're in prison.
Speaker 1: No one's letting you out, all right, It's time to come to terms.
Speaker 3: Yes, guilty.
Speaker 1: I would like the new breaking news headline to say Scott Peterson comes to terms with the fact that he's never getting out of prison. All right, give me that documentary. That's one I can get down with. Wait, unpopular A pin you guys, I like this one because we talked about this on uh the episode the regular episode unpopular opinion on headlines don't give two f's about celebrity babies minus yours, Obby, That's what they said, Thank you, Joe Mini underscore as we.
Speaker 5: Just talked about in the other episode, how you just want to see the baby.
Speaker 1: I don't sit here and show me like you give birth and you show like the hand and then months go by and I'm now looking at your baby from behind.
Speaker 2: I now can see it's getting some hair walking clearly. Now I don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: Now I've moved on to see there's more babies to see. You know, I'm a fan of the one week a one week you're at home with your baby.
Speaker 5: I don't want to see it before one week. Honestly, why other people's why, let's just get.
Speaker 1: Them baked out of the oven, get the air to them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get that because they do come out and they're.
Speaker 4: Like for other people's, like for your baby or you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they kind of attached to our babies.
Speaker 4: But like the smartest.
Speaker 5: Family is I want to see my family's babies, So you think for other people once they come out, because they are speaker too, and then show them the good photo when like they're not red and alien looking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, anytime you have your own baby, you think it's the most gorgeous thing in the world, and then you kind of go back after seeing your baby out of the womb. It has like some uh some cheeks. Now it's got some weight to them. I used to think, and you're like, oh gosh, it was a little alien.
Speaker 5: Like I used to think all babies were ugly and tell her and now I find beauty and all babies that's just different.
Speaker 4: And they're also they really are.
Speaker 1: They are, and they deserve to look a little funky when they came out, because how traumatizing could you imagine remembering coming through the.
Speaker 4: Birth out of a hole and then just hit no for.
Speaker 2: Real though, traumatizing. That's why you don't remember.
Speaker 4: Thank God put me back in there. O. J.
Speaker 3: Simpson, Oh I remember where I was. I was at Porcupine, and I was cheering him to get away. How sad is that because you didn't believe. I did not believe he did it.
Speaker 2: And now that's that's breaking news. That's a headlight in itself. Cheering for O. J. Simpson to get away in his white bronco.
Speaker 3: But then mon, the whole restaurant was because they had everywhere.
Speaker 1: Wow, No, but I think it was beyond that. I mean, he hadn't gone to trial yet, then what was it like?
Speaker 3: You know what? Really I cannot get down with where they had him try on the gloves over nine gloves over a plastic glove. Well, when leather gets wet drenched in blood there, obviously it's not gonna fet.
Speaker 4: No, the blood was not.
Speaker 3: The clinger for me at all.
Speaker 2: Well that's because you have a brain. They would not want you on the jury, buddy, Not at all.
Speaker 4: Dismissed.
Speaker 2: But I remember that, you know, that was a wild one though.
Speaker 1: Jenna Willis was on the the show Law and Order OJ versus the People, and they had those jury members in lockdown for a very long time.
Speaker 2: From what that that show showed lockdown because you can't or.
Speaker 1: You can't leave the room because you can't let the media sway you. So they were in this hotel, like you know, an area where they hold like banquets, like a banquet hall.
Speaker 5: Room from what the show showed, and didn't even have internet or anything, right, they couldn't read about it.
Speaker 2: No, they couldn't have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had no news. It was just up to them reading about the case and then coming up with their own. But they were in there for how long?
Speaker 1: It was a very long time. I'm gonna leave us on two thousand and eight. Tiger Woods cheating on his wife.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember.
Speaker 1: That, dude, I remember that too. And didn't she like take a golf club to his car?
Speaker 3: She sure did a very shuit, very fitting, very fairy fitting. You go, girl.
Speaker 1: You see you can nail a ball with a night iron, watch me nail your head with one, motherfucker.
Speaker 3: And she was I thought, so darling, I mean, nowhere as a person.
Speaker 4: But he was just out there playing nineteen holes.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was nineteen. He was playing thirty six a day, isn't it eighteen holes?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But he got a vice around the course that's thirty six, Yes, thank you mom.
Speaker 5: He would just play the course once, but he'd make sure to hit thirty six holes.
Speaker 2: No, that was wasn't it with the nanny?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is going on with these men?
Speaker 4: With the mayne to call and leave the voicemail? No, delete all your information?
Speaker 2: No it was that girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, she wasn't the name you could tell, right, Tiger Wood's wife used to be a nanny for one of their friends.
Speaker 1: But wasn't it you could tell the girl who was sleeping with with Tiger Woods.
Speaker 4: I never looked up the women she was.
Speaker 2: Sticking with Rachel. You could tell you guys, correct me if that's not right.
Speaker 1: I want to leave off actually with one more sports one that I do remember vividly as well, the lamar Odom overdose. I saw him the other day in Sherman Oaks his own.
Speaker 4: T shirt, wearing his own T shirt.
Speaker 1: I was like, look at this way tall guy and this lamar Otem T shirt. That's interesting, socks and slides, and I'm taking my kid. We're like going to candy Land, which is like a fun little place that you take your kids, right, And I'm like that lamar Odom in his own T shirt.
Speaker 2: It's giving Wala Kent five. Some should I would do?
Speaker 4: Some should I day that you still do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know someone needs to.
Speaker 4: You know, someone has to support me.
Speaker 2: Who better than me.
Speaker 3: We've got ocean wrapping you now too. With the T shirts.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's embarrassing. I send her to school in T shirts with my face on them. And by the way, this is a PSA. I am not the one choosing these shirts to wear. She's obsessed with them. So she does that.
Speaker 3: I know she does, not me. No, she puts on what she wants to wear every day and I let her. And if it's Mama on her T shirt, so be it.
Speaker 1: You know, like just goes back to surviving. This was a very fun episode. They they're all so fun, right, we had to come here and call it work. And I just want to thank you guys for sticking with us for so long because we're about to wrap up a year. I mean, we are venturing into the holiday season and it's getting I know how it can be.
Speaker 2: It gets stressful.
Speaker 1: It is not how it once was where we got to walk down and believe in Santa Clause.
Speaker 2: We are now Santa Claus.
Speaker 1: Any kids listening, Santa Claus is alive and well, can't wait to come to your house.
Speaker 4: You can now call him, so you better be on the good list.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm I'm now calling Santa Claus still with Ocean, and she's still just as terrified, which is great news for me. I love you, guys, Thank you for listening to another bonus episode of the Give Them Lalla podcast.
Speaker 2: I'll catch you guys on Wednesday. Love you, bye bye.