Speaker 1: From Marhard where Innovation of money and power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Heinde of Bluemug's world headquarters in New York and I.
Speaker 4: Met Ludlow in San Francisco. This has been big technology coming up.
Speaker 3: We have a mixed picture on US jobs and non farm payrolls. Plus the ism will get the read on the state of the labor market and how AI will impact hiring in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Plus a tear down of Huawei's newest laptop reveals its chips empowered by TSMC, throwing cold water on chatter about another technological breakthrough for the sanctioned company. Details ahead and.
Speaker 5: An AI start up taking on Google.
Speaker 3: He gets fresh funding with backers including Jeff Bezos and Nvidia down with the CEO of Perplexity. AI is the company which is a half a billion dollar valuation just two years since its inception. And what is the read on the resilience of a consumer? What is the read on the resilience of the labor market? Very muney picture today, strong payrolls report, the nonfarm payrolls closing out twenty twenty three, just showing that the US adding two hundred and sixteen thousand jobs in the month of December and the jobless rate remaining unchanged. But then comes the US service sector number and that shows sagnation and the end of twenty twenty three and the gauge of employment and indeed that particular signal was its biggest contraction in more than three years. Glad that we've got some nuanced to be put to it with Corey Style an economist for the Indeed Hiring Lab and just wade through these waters right now, What are you seeing at your hiring lab in terms of the resilience of the US labor market.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean what we're seeing right now in our postings data from Indeed is very much what we've seen in the overall labor market picture from these government numbers, which is we've seen, you know, kind of a decline in job postings throughout the year, but still a much stronger labor market than we had pre pandemic. You know, So things have soppened over the last year, but we're still above where we were in early twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Corey zeroing in on the sort of technology sectors perspective, it's actually interesting to look at where those gains were.
Speaker 7: They were not in the technology sector. To me, it.
Speaker 4: Seems like a lot of public sector jobs, right education, health services, government, and to some extent, leisure in hospitality.
Speaker 7: Give us the tech story if there is one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, I mean, I think the tech story is a big part of the story in the labor market, especially as we look back to kind of that pandemic baseline. You know, what we saw was is the pandemic hit, a lot of job postings fell together across all sectors. Then we started seeing those sectors kind of all come up together, and I think twenty twenty three really showed us it was a year of divergence where we started seeing more strength in these kind of in person type sectors. You know, healthcare has been kind of that perennial powerhouse in terms of adding jobs, but we definitely saw some kind of weakening demand in tech and some of these other areas. And so I think ultimately the tech story here is that, you know, tech has taken a little more of a brunt in terms of a drop in job postings over the last year, but really that's been a part of this larger divergence. So we're adding jobs over all at the top level once we roll it up, But once you kind of look under the hood, you can see kind of some of these differences that are beginning to emerge between different sectors.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is there's divergence within the tech space too. I'm pretty sure that anything with an AI name within it has been hiring pretty well, and other areas a little bit more bleak. Just start there, rather than how AI is affecting the rest of the labor market, let's just show how is it affecting tech jobs that aren't off OKOI.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, so ultimately, we have seen a pretty dramatic increase in the number of job postings asking for you know, these types of generative AI type of skills, you know, really the new you know, the chat GPTs, the generative AI skills. Obviously, AI kind of in a broader sense of self driving cars and all those technologies have been something we've discussed for the past couple of years. But what's interesting to note is that in the trend of generative AI in particular, you know, last year there were basically no jobs talking about these technologies, and what we've seen is that in the last year, there's been a dramatic increase. You know, if you look at the graph for job postings with the genera of AI terms being asked or skills being asked by employers, it's basically a hockey stick. It was zero last year, and this is the first time we're kind of sharing this data publicly with the newest data from December, but at the end of December, there was about point zero five or point zero eighty five percent of jobs that were mentioning gener of AI. So still overall a pretty small portion of a labor market, but when you think about what it means to go from zero to almost a tenth of a percent in a year, that's starting to really show some momentum for these types of jobs.
Speaker 4: The other thing in the domain of technology that I've been thinking about is participation in the economy and particularly the age of workers. I think back to when we talked about the union efforts with regards to the automakers and ev and they'll concern down the line is that there is a whole generation of workforce that will retire in the coming years, and there are people sitting on the sidelines what you would call prime age workers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's a great point.
Speaker 6: I think that's one of the kind of key points that we saw this morning in the jobs report is that, yes, it was a jobs report where the number of jobs we added really surpassed kind of a lot of expectations, which was kind of a fit for you know, kind of wrap up of what we saw in twenty twenty three. But I think what was different from what we saw in the rest of twenty twenty three is that in the last couple months, we have seen the labor force participation rate, especially among those primage workers, start to drop off, you know, and you talk about, you know, kind of the demographic headwinds as we have fewer workers aging in and many more workers aging out. You know, the US is really facing kind of an uphill battle in terms of making sure the labor supply is there, because adding the jobs and having the job openings is one thing, but finding the people to fill those jobs, you know, is a vital part of actually making sure that the economy and the labor market continues to be robust.
Speaker 4: Corey style of indeed hiring lab just terrific data granular data about the technology sector and jobs. Thank you, Let's keep the conversation going. Is the labor market show some signs of cooling? How is AI being implemented, particularly in the financial services industry to help consumers and workers build a safety net. Joining us now as Liz Davidson, founder and CEO of financial Finess, which offers personalized financial coaching, both live and AI powered to millions of employees, the job state always gives us an opportunity to ask about what is really happening right now in the way that AI is impacting our daily task, but also, as our last guest pointed out, hiring and I just asked you in the first instance and kind of give us a read of where you think that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very interesting those hiring numbers that were just articulated. What we're seeing is a whole lot of talk in the financial services industry about AI and things that will be happening in the future, but it's still very, very early, and there's a lot of concerns about compliance and how do you make this safe for consumers because we all know open AI can really be problematic. We work in the financial coaching industry, providing financial coaching as an employee benefit and have managed to leverage AI using vetted content, only vetted content from on staff certified financial planners, so that any questions that are asked in this virtual coaching process where it asks you questions and you ask you questions, any of that all points to our content and it's completely safe and contained. And I think that's really you know, one of the biggest hurdles that financial services companies need to get through is how do you leverage this powerful tool but make sure it's safe.
Speaker 3: And also how do you ensure you're building yourself security financial independence, particularly when you do start to see perhaps the overall jobs market soften a little bit, but you've actually managed to secure a bit of a wage increase and you're wanting it ensure that you've got your you know, underall overall safety net lined up list.
Speaker 5: You use something called the.
Speaker 3: Artificial intelligence motivating employees everywhere any basically is how you call it. Talk to us about how AI has really managed to either reduce the amount of financial advisors one needs to get the right information at the right time, How are employees engaging with this more now than ever because they feel a little bit less secure than perhaps lost you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And the great thing about AI is it allows what we call mass personalization, so you can reach an incredibly large number of people, but in an incredibly personalized way. And we always say people's favorite financial topic is themselves. It's not act allocation, and it's not stop actions, it's themselves and their families and their financial security. So having the ability to have a virtual financial coach that can walk you through these things, that you can ask questions too and get vetted answers that you are fully confident or in your best interests free you have any conflicts of interest, is tremendous. Now, the interesting question is how does this work with an advisor?
Speaker 5: And I would.
Speaker 2: Say, you know, in our model, we have seen that both leverage each other. Our financial coaches have trained the AI, but the AI is also helping them become better financial coaches, both in terms of understanding mass trends, aggregated trends, but also individuals, you know, profiles. So we've become more efficient, we've become able to help more people. AI has an exponential power that is tremendous for contexts. Last year we had one point six million interactions I'm sorry two thousand, twenty twenty two, one point six million interactions, twenty twenty three, eight point three million interactions.
Speaker 8: There is such an incredible.
Speaker 2: Snowball effect when you use this technology right, especially in tandem with human financial coaches or.
Speaker 3: Advisors, nesle, general Mills, NFL players, associations, some of those that you served as Davidson Financial Finness founder.
Speaker 5: We thank you and CEO.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, to turn our attention to another story that we were following today, Tesla will deploy an over the air software fixed to more than one point six million vehicles in China, especially every car it's ever sold there.
Speaker 5: That's of course a mid.
Speaker 3: Heightened risk potentially with its autopilot functions and the move mirrors. That recall is sometimes they're called two million vehicles in the US last month.
Speaker 4: Then, sticking with Tesla in China, the other big story, the electric vehicle maker has been overtaken by China's BYD as the world's top selling electric car maker. Bloomberg's Weekly doc takes a look at how that happened.
Speaker 9: It likes to describe itself as.
Speaker 10: The biggest car brand you've never heard of.
Speaker 9: Now China's BYD has overtaken Tesla as the world's largest seller of electric vehicles. Its success is a root of long term strategic thinking on the part of BYD itself and the Chinese government.
Speaker 11: We've arguably never seen thing like this in terms of, you know, the amount of support that China has extended to automakers, specifically pertaining to evs.
Speaker 9: Most of BYD's cars are simply a lot cheaper than tesselas they.
Speaker 12: Have very cheap models starting from ten thousand US dollars. The most important factor is that BID is the only auto maker that produces all of its batteries in house.
Speaker 9: Making its own batteries and other components helps it reduce a lot of costs. All of this is setting China up to be the dominant global player in the transportation of the future electric vehicles, a business that could be worth eight point eight trillion dollars by the end of a decade.
Speaker 4: I highly recommend check out the full Dark eight minutes packed with data and analysis are coming up here On Bluebeo technology, a tear down of Huawei's newest laptop shows it's powered by a chip made in Taiwan, quashing talks of another mainland Chinese technological breakthrough. We got those details. Next, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Now as a new teardown video by tech Insights new findings showing that Huawei's latest laptop it's actually run on a chip made by Taiwan's Semiconductor to SMC.
Speaker 5: It throws cold water on well that talk that.
Speaker 3: Was happening about another big Chinese advance and technology amid this US China tech war. And we're going to break it down with you for a moment because this was commissioned by Bloomberg to do this tear down because suddenly there was this talk that maybe an even more advanced chip than have been thought it was inside this laptop.
Speaker 5: But not the case.
Speaker 4: So tech Insights is the same firm that Bloomberg News partnered with on the teardown of the Huawei Mate sixty or Mate sixty pro smartphone, and I would look at it paradoxically. First, if they had found that that five nanometer proessa in the laptop had indeed been made by SMICK, China's mainland domestic chipfab, that would be huge news because it would demonstrates and technological progress.
Speaker 7: But it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It was indeed made by TSMC a five and animeter node used to make the processor.
Speaker 7: But here's the thing.
Speaker 4: It was made that generation back in twenty twenty, so it's not even at the cutting edge, and it wasn't made in China.
Speaker 3: And also, what does it show about what Huawet's been up to since twenty twenty. Twenty nineteen was when, of course it was first ploll on the entities list. Twenty twenty is when TSMC was no longer allowed to basically sell to it. But they would just stop piling were they to be able to get this chip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is evidence that they had been stockpiling chips that at the time.
Speaker 7: Were at the cutting edge and now are not.
Speaker 4: The latest generation of node is three and animeter right, that is used by TSMC and prevalent in many consumer electronics, for example those made Apple. What we found in the teardown of the Huawei laptop was a five nanometer produced processor the care in nine hundred and six C. So it's two generations removed from the latest but one generation ahead of what we think China had access to, even though it's still dated.
Speaker 5: I love these teardowns are so useful.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing about it as well, is that you lift the lid, you get the analysis from the experts, you answer a lot of questions about where we're at in this tech war and supply chain.
Speaker 3: And actually what sunk the share prices of some of those that were traded over in China. The anticipation had perhaps run up on smoke, and actually it pulled back a little bit.
Speaker 5: Time now for talking tech.
Speaker 3: First up, Fox con warned of its fourth consecutive decline and quarterly sales. Now the Apple partner reported a steep twenty seven percent drop in December sales. Now, is these sales falling in the current period as well? So I think to concerns about all that slowing demand we're talking on for the latest iPhone. And as Twitch tries to take on the likes of TikTok is a new discovery feed for short videos, well, it's raising.
Speaker 5: Concerns for kids safety.
Speaker 3: Now, an analysis by Bloomberg News of nearly eleven hundred clips on Twitch found that at least eighty three of the short videos contain sexualized content involving children. Once Bloomberg alar to the company, Twitch removed that prohibited content. Plus American Tower, well, it's agreed to sell its operations in India to an affiliate of Brookfield Asset Management. Is then a deal worth about two and a half billion dollars in the US networking company now. The deal is expected to close in the second half of this year.
Speaker 5: That's according to the company.
Speaker 12: Ed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another news story we're tracking in the world of vc CO two closing its European office in London two years after they opened it. The move is part of a wider strategy overhaul to adjust to a downturn in the technology market. Let's bring in Bloombergs mark Bergen out there in London. I mean, the stated reason is streamlining the investment approach in Europe. But what else do we know about what was a short lived stay in London.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think there's a couple off in factors.
Speaker 13: One say is unique to the fund SOKO two has been going through this big adjustment and they've lost a managing partner in last months. They had a write down of about thirty percent that we reported in November.
Speaker 10: On their portfolio.
Speaker 13: Some of that because they mark down some of their startup holdings as much as ninety percent. I think this is something a lot of firms are doing they've raised a new fund with this discount, this kind of rare, unusual move where they're letting the investors in their fund get into startups at a discounted rate in exchange for cutting some of the fees. And so they're making some different strategic changes. I think there's also a bigger trend, which is, you know, they're not the first VC fund in the past six months to pull out Omer's ventures. The Canadian Pension Fund left Europe. We reported that this summer there's not a lot of deal activity in.
Speaker 7: Anything but the early stage.
Speaker 13: So these later stage startups growth, it's been pretty quiet here and so maybe they're the tea leaves on that going forward.
Speaker 3: But why then, has iv P has Andrewson Horowitz just set up shop in London? What are they saying that perhaps while CO two.
Speaker 13: Isn't It's a really good question, I think, I mean, and Dresen came here at least they announced it as focused on crypto. As far as they know, they haven't made other investments, but they have, you know, they just we reported earlier they came in this big round from Mistral, the French company that was out of their California team.
Speaker 10: But you know they will CO two says the same thing.
Speaker 13: They're going to continue to invest in Europe out of California, out of New York. I think different funds have a different approach about whether or not it's worthwhile to have people on the ground where they can go and meet the startups in Paris, in Scandinavia, in Eastern Europe, where you know the UiPath which was a co to investment. That people here talk a lot about the value of being on the ground. And that being said, this is obviously some some ferns and maybe their LPs think it's worthwhile.
Speaker 3: Not to be there were early backer in Spotify and new iPath. We'll see how much they can continue to get in on some of these European startups, even though perhaps it's been a tougher time for these crossover funds. In particular Mattberg and brilliant and really well read story, we thank you so much for all the lives, comings and goings in BC in Europe. Meanwhile, let's go into this conversation with Catherine Dowling, general counsel and chief compliance Officer at bit Wise Asset Management, and you are gazing into those sec stars as well, and ultimately it is important as to whether or not we get the yay or nay by January the tenth. Are you more on the probabilities really stacked towards a yes.
Speaker 8: I am on record with your colleagues saying that my prediction was mid January, and I have not changed my opinion on that. I can't speak to our specific conversations with the SEC. But if you look at what's happening out in the public, yes, there's a lot of fake news and some fake bumps, but if you can do the actual documents being fun, you're seeing that there are fewer and fewer blanks in those documents, and you can look at those documents and see what the basics of the conversations are looking like with the SEC. The SEC is doing their job. They're working hard. They are working behind the scenes and did over the holidays to make sure that what's known as the s one side of the House, the disclosure document, has all the investor protections in it, all the disclosures. They've been pushing on the issuers as they should to make sure that all of the information is set forth in that document, that it's very clear. And on the other side of the house, we have the nineteen before document the exchange document, and you'll see that there's information that is being matched up between those two documents, so you can see that progression in the public record as issuers work to work on both sides of those documents, and the SEC also works to communicate with the various issuers behind the scenes, and all of this is going to be a huge win for investors when it does come out of the gates.
Speaker 3: As one of the applicants for spot bitcoin ETFE, what is the upside here? What sort of fun flows you anticipating. We got a general anticipation a one to two billion, for example, on the first week that it actually is.
Speaker 5: Able to be traded.
Speaker 3: Do you abide by that sort of level of increase and interest coming from institutions and retail on that first week.
Speaker 8: Yes, Caroline, we expect a big uptick out of the gates, and part of that we look at the history of gold ETFs, we look at the Bitcoin futures ETF so we do have historic issues to look at to see what we can expect, and also with this issuance, the expectation if all goes as we believe it should be going, we'll have a number of issuers come out of the gates at the same time, so you will have a number of options for investors. And from a demand standpoint, bitwise has just put out our or research survey with financial advisors, and a number of financial advisors have been waiting for this moment to get into bitcoin for their clients because it's just a much easier and we're transparent way for them to provide Bitcoin exposure to their clients, Catherine.
Speaker 4: As Caroline pointed out, bitwise asset management is an applicant. You've applied for an ETF, but I'm really interested in your role as general counsel and chief compliance officer and what you're doing every day. You know, you said you're stuck by your mid January call, But there's only one party in all of this that actually knows, and that's the SEC.
Speaker 8: Yes, the SEC is definitely the zeus in this operation. But what we can also see is looking in history, the SEC doesn't want they don't want hunger games here. They want what's best for the investor, which is a number of issuers coming out. So as you see from the public record, they're speaking with all of us and to your question of what you know we do or what I do in my role where speaking to them, we're answering their questions, we're working with them, And what I can tell you is that they have been very dedicated to making sure that one if you kind of go back a little bit in time, first it started as this kind of academic conversation Ivory Tower, you know, what is this product? How does it work? And then we moved into a higher energy, a little more intensity about Okay, let's look at the nuts and bolts, how does this really work. Who's holding the bitcoin, where's the risk, where's the cash coming in? Who are the different players? And you know that's why you're seeing in the public record a concern with the SEC of let's list the aps, Let's get the people out here, the entities, the parties who are going to be engaging in this process, so that there is an understanding and so we can have a fulsome disclosure about how this product works. So you saw that progression with the SEC engaging on understanding how this product works.
Speaker 14: And I think they've been.
Speaker 8: Pretty dedicated to making sure they understand that because they have to first understand it to make sure that the correct disclosures are in the prospectus, So that's what's going on behind the scenes. But you can see that reflected in the amended s ones that you're seeing that everybody's following. You can see the fewer blanks happening, and you can actually back and see the additional disclosures that are being added as this process goes forward and progresses.
Speaker 4: A very simple question in the thirty seconds you've got, is the SEC and the United States a good regulator, a competent regulator for this field?
Speaker 5: They are absolutely, I think.
Speaker 8: I know we've had a lot of dialogue about Obviously, other countries have gotten this product out in advance, but in our country, we have a number of regulators and they're looking at what they should be looking at. Has this progressed more slowly than many of us would have liked. Yes, But at the end of the day, we're going to get a product that is better for investors. It's going to have the disclosures, it's going to have the information. They're going to have a more fulsome understanding of how this product works, and that's going to make everybody able to make a better decision if they want to include this as one of their investment.
Speaker 4: Choices, Catherine Dowling, General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer over a bit wise asset management.
Speaker 7: Thank you okay.
Speaker 4: As open Ai is due to complete its tender offer, the company is also talking to dozens of publishers about striking deals to license their articles. This is the startup looks for content to train its artificial intelligence models. Let's bring in Bloomberg's Sharen Gafari for more. I've been reading a lot about this in the press over weeks and months, the value of data, who they're talking to and who they're not.
Speaker 7: What do we know?
Speaker 14: So we know that they are speaking to dozens of publishers about significant deals, and this would be both to pay for these publishers to give data that will help Opening Eye train its models, as well as to more prominently display these articles themselves and the output of what chat GPT tells you.
Speaker 3: So while they're trying to navigate potential well future cases of course, whether being sued by The New York Times, are trying to ensure that other publishers getting on board all of this tovindicate their business model. Ultimately, there's at a time where we know the company is a perhaps looking for new funding, but also completing on a tender offer where they're giving some liquidity to the actual employee base at the moment, how is that tender offer looking.
Speaker 14: That's correct, So as far as we know, the tender offer is still on. It's set actually to close today. Remember that was basically an offer that allows employees to sell their shares in the company to investors. So it's offering employees a chance to liquidate the assets that they have in open Ai. And it was set for eighty six billion, and it was extended a little bit in the chaos that ensued during the board ouster. So this is an extended deadline.
Speaker 4: So what I heard is that you know, the money's been wired. What needs to happen now, Caro is open AI does a transfer of ownership for the shares and then issues new share certificates.
Speaker 7: So it seems like it's buttoned up. But as Shearon and I reported before the holidays, they're.
Speaker 4: Going to do a primary straight away more than one hundred billion dollar valuation. Can those guys just come on, you know, we all need a break at some point, Carrot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting as to whether or not you've been selling out at a moment of a slightly lower evaluation that you're about to see of current shareholding the numbered at It's fascinating ongoing and continuing conversation that you and Sharon have been leading me. Thank you so much, Sharon Gaffride to just take us through what's happening in the midst of a tender offer and new primary raise. Meanwhile, let's continue the conversation on like the secondary market activity a bit. Greg Martin's with us co founder and managing director at rain Maker Securities mid market investment bank broke a deeda specializing in pre IPO investing, and I mean ed just told us about the state of play where we are in terms of this tender offer. But the fact that also open Ai might raise new funds just tell us about the extent of demand to get into this company despite some of the internal turmoil.
Speaker 1: Well, great to see you again and thank you for having me. You know, open Ai has been one of the hottest you know companies, certainly in the last year. I mean it's its previous tender was was you know, at twenty eight billion, and now it's three x that, and as you've mentioned that it may be going up even more in a primary round. We have seen you know, almost unlimited demand for open Ai this year, and of course it's a pretty new phenomenon. I mean, the company just released chat GQBT in November of twenty twenty two, so I mean, it's revenues have gone from zero to a billion six run rate reported you know, in the end of twenty three, and I'm hearing they might finish twenty twenty four, you know, closer to five billions. So the growth in the company is immense, and the demand for stock and open Ai is also immense. And we're seeing a ton of trading and interest on our platform today and I think that's why you're seeing, you know, the valuation continue to go up even a month after a tender is about to close.
Speaker 4: It's that trading, active tense that I'm really interested in. You know, the tender is a transaction, right, and my understanding is is very hard to get in on that tender. But what struck me in the days prior to Sam Altman initially being dismissed by the board was how liquid the market was the secondary's market for an open Ai shares, And I just wondered if you could explain to us how that works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, just to be clear, the week that Sam Altman, you know, decided to leave and then come back again, was definitely a near term wet blank I don't.
Speaker 7: Know that he decided to leave ground. I think he was fired, but things keep going.
Speaker 1: That may be, but it was a wet blanker for a moment in time. There was a lot of you know, worried investors, you know, and of course I think a lot of that has been solidified. I think there's a feeling of stability now the team is back in place. But you know, trading is interesting because, as I said, there's actually consummating a trade is challenging. I mean, there's there are a lot of bits. There's people who want to be owners of open ai. Obviously it's forty nine percent owned by Microsoft. It has a funky corporate structure, you know, with the combination of a non for profit, and so I think people are setting up entities, you know, special purpose vehicles, et cetera, by which they hold the shares and they're actually sometimes selling units in those special purpose vehicles versus actually trading the shares. In some cases, clearly the tender offer is actually a direct trade of shares, but people are trying to find all kinds of innovative ways to actually trade the shares, and we're facilitating a lot of that at Rainmaker.
Speaker 3: Is there any other company that can compare? I mean there are some other very heady valuations in the private market still, but they've been fewer and further between. They're just some obvious culprits that everyone wants in and everyone Oh the others are just second here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the big I mean the biggest in the last couple of years is SpaceX. SpaceX is literally and figuratively defied gravity. You know, in twenty twenty two, when when most stocks were down, SpaceX was continuing to rise, and we see a tender being announced in SpaceX to the tune of about another seven hundred and fifty million at an eight and eighty billion valuation. So SpaceX has has been our hottest stock on our platform for several years now and continues to be even though the valuation has reached a very high level. I think it's something like twenty times you know, projected twenty twenty three revenues. So you know, SpaceX has been very hot. Anything AI frankly, you know since chat GPT launched, you know, whether it's anthropic. We just saw propic announcement valuation around and at the end of December we we see, you know, Elon Musk himself has Xai, which you know I'm hearing is coming out at a thirty billion valuation. So AI companies are are definitely hot across the board, you know, clearly led by open Ai. But I think that's where we saw the rise of Nvidia and the public markets and we see the numbers that are putting up. There's clearly a lot of demand, uh, you know for AI capabilities, and so companies that have real AI businesses, real technology are seeing a lot of demand.
Speaker 4: The volume of demands there that specifically, where is it coming from? Institutionals, high net worth individuals, who's buying?
Speaker 1: It's all of you above, I mean, clearly led by the institutions who have you know, the larger pockets of capital. So definitely a strong, strong demand from institutional capital, but it goes to family offices, it goes to high networth individuals. I think there's a fear of missing out right now, and I think it's also frankly, there's a vanity play. I think people like to say they own an AI company, and you know, I think there's there's still a little bit to be desired in terms of properly valuing these businesses because the revenues are still very light, and so a lot of it's based on the prospects and hopes for the future. And you know, we'll see what happens if pro starts to normalize in some of these companies, But right now, the demand is very insatiable across the board for.
Speaker 7: What it's worth.
Speaker 4: Greg, that's SpaceX tender at one hundred and eighty billion. I don't think they announced it. I think Katie roof and reported it on December twelfth, But I appreciate the Greg Martin co found it.
Speaker 1: Give you proper credit for that. That was right now?
Speaker 7: All good?
Speaker 5: Oh he'll don't you worry.
Speaker 7: We appreciate the analysis.
Speaker 4: Greg Martin, founder and managing director of Rainmaker Securities.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Now coming up here on Bloomberg Technology, one AI powered search engine is aiming to take on the likes of Google and Chat GPT. We're going to talk to the CEO Perplexity. That's next.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Perplexity says it's AI powered conversational search engine has the chops to take on the likes of Google and chat GPT, and backers like Jeff Bezos and Nvidia agree. The startups just raised seventy three zero point six million dollars in a series B round. Here to tell us more is Aravin Trinavass, CEO of Perplexity, Interesting backers, interesting competition.
Speaker 7: Let's just start with the technology.
Speaker 4: What is it that's unique about either your model or just the tool, the generative AI tool?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so thank you for having me here.
Speaker 15: So Perplexity is an AI power conversational answer engine.
Speaker 10: It's not a search engine.
Speaker 15: So you ask a query, you ask a question, it just directly gives you the answer.
Speaker 10: The main difference from other.
Speaker 15: Chatbots like Chadgipt is that you always get the sources, so it only says what exists on the web already, and it clearly deals to user where every part of the answer, Where is it coming from on the web.
Speaker 4: One of the backers or investors is in Nvidia, but are they also supporting you in compute? Did you get access to an H one hundred cluster?
Speaker 7: For example?
Speaker 15: So in video is an investor in US strategically where we partner with them to work on frameworks for training and inference. But we have all our compute cluster on other hyperscalers like AWS.
Speaker 7: Competition.
Speaker 4: I get that the uniqueness is that the source is clearly labeled, but you're directly taking on chat GPT barred. Is the sourcing enough to sort of differentiate in that market?
Speaker 15: Yeah, So our perspective is that AI chad bots are going to be.
Speaker 10: Of wide variety. There.
Speaker 15: It's going to be a chadbot for you to go and brainstorm new ideas and interact with it to like ask for ideas for birthday pressens, or generate essays or write poems. There's going to be character AI like chadbots, very chatting with personalities.
Speaker 10: But there has to be.
Speaker 15: One single chat bot which you rely on for accurate, live, correct information on the web. And that market is there for the taking, and we want to.
Speaker 3: Go for that and ten million people on a monthly basis. Do I'm interested in your desire to go out and build this van because you were at open AI as a researcher, you've been working with deep Mind. Why did you feel that something new was necessary to be created?
Speaker 15: I always wanted to try an entrepreneurial journey, so it was not meant to go and create a company for search. We initially started off as just to brainstorm and create products using the large language models as an upcoming technology.
Speaker 10: Much before it was even called generative AI.
Speaker 15: It was just that we stumbled on this amazing idea of combining large language models and web search together in the form of a new product called Perplexity.
Speaker 3: So you raise this money, is that to be put towards R and D compute power is a little bit of marketing because I'm kind of interested as how you got into the hands of ten million people.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so we've really been fortunate to have completely organic growth.
Speaker 10: We haven't paid for any of these users.
Speaker 15: We obviously announce all our product features on Twitter and like, people follow us there and get to know about us, and there's a lot of word of mouth growth for us.
Speaker 10: But our space is largely.
Speaker 15: Going to be on scaling adoption and usage, and that's going to be spent more on computer resources.
Speaker 4: As you want out, Caroline and I have experienced some of that word of mouth about Perplexity.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: The story with open ai was about the push to commercialize. Do you feel as a founder and leader of that company that pressure.
Speaker 15: Well, honestly, I think people just want progress, and progress can be reflected in terms of clear user growth and adoption and not just through revenue. So as you get more and more users, there's always going to be plenty of opportunities for you to monetize, either through subscriptions or of other forms of monetization. And therefore, right now all our investors are pretty aligned with us that we actually want to scale more in.
Speaker 10: Terms of getting growing a larger user base.
Speaker 4: Ara of intronovsc of Perplexity, greats have you here in the studio San Francisco. Thank you for your time, Carrot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we finish up on a topic that we love to lace throughout the show, whether it's twenty twenty three or twenty twenty four, All things AI, all things about the desire to get into the secondary market, the primary market of these companies and the valuations that just goes onto this ongoing narrative. And for now it feels like that does it for this addition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, much of the same themes of last year continuing into twenty twenty four, but that's not a bad thing. Recap the show on our podcast. Thanks to everyone that has tuned in. Whereve yougate your podcast? We're on Apple, We're on Spotify, we're on iHeart, and of course we're uploading everything to the Bloomberg platforms. Next week is a big one. I'm off to Vegas. Vegas, BABYCS Will I survive? Tune in to find out. Caroline from San Francisco and.
Speaker 3: A small thing called the spot Bitcoin.
Speaker 7: E t is based on prior experiences.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg technology.