Speaker 1: You found Fantasy Football Weekly Micro, a deep dive on one player in just five to ten minutes. Now here's your host, Paul Georgian. It's Fantasy Football Weekly Micro edition and what I've been waiting for for a long time. This whole week is dedicated to draft day winners, but not the rookies, the veterans who got better for various reasons because of the way the draft fell. And that includes Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins. Here to break it down with me is Tyler Kannabeli, Guillotine Leagues dot com writer. Why is Kirk a winner?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, they didn't draft his replacement.
Speaker 3: They didn't draft a Levis or maybe even a hooker, I guess, someone who could maybe if the Vikings were like five and ten, like okay, maybe we'll get hookers and some looks or Levis some looks.
Speaker 2: But they also drafted Jordan Addison, who I really think is kind.
Speaker 3: Of just a better version of what feelin kind of like pre like pre feeling from three years ago.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I kind of like that Jordan Edison. Some wide receiver ones in the class Benzu Yass, but former Blintakov winner kind of made. Can you pick at a first round pick in that during that fifth season. So Jordan Aison a really good player. And if we're looking at Kirk Cousins kind of very similar to the Jared Goff conversation we have where we kind of know what you're gonna get. You're not gonna get this crazy upside, but he's gonna be a solid player for you in fantasy.
Speaker 2: In terms of points per game.
Speaker 1: Kirk's passing metrics are right in the middle of most anything you look at, like attempted air yards right in the middle, completed air yards right in the middle, aggressive pass percentage right in the middle. But he did rank fourth best in completion percentage above expectation, which means he's throwing better passes than he has a right to throw. And you know that Kirk is a better than average quarterback.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: I think that goes without saying for any rational listeners that we have in Minnesota does not necessarily have those what I do like last year fourth in attempts and fourth in passing yards last season, fifth and passing touchdowns last season. Now that Kevin O'Connell is there and we've got one season with Kevin O'Connell. This is a passing team. The Vikings are a passing team, and with Dalvin Cook potentially on the way out and question marks at the running back position after him, that ain't changing.
Speaker 3: They were also second in red zone passing attempts and that number of trail only Patrick Mahomes. Yeah, so Kirk is just I mean this, He definitely had his best season in Minnesota last last year statistically for sure. I mean we look at his QB finishes in terms of Fantasy twenty eighteen, QB thirteen, twenty nineteen, QB eighteen, then we got QB eleven, QB eleven, QB nine.
Speaker 1: And despite the fact that he has spent a top eleven quarterback each of the last three years, dude's always going off the border his quarterback twenty in drafts. You know, everybody's I think, has got such a mindset on Kirk that he is a boring, run of the middle average passer, but the stats don't bear that out.
Speaker 2: Dude produces.
Speaker 1: He just doesn't give you the explosive games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think when like I like I said, I kind of broke it down some of the other stuff. He just like there that ceiling's not there. He finished at a top five quarterback just three times last year. Yeah and he only but he only finished outside the top twenty four times last year.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna give you.
Speaker 3: Between that twenty and five range week in and week out, which is absolutely huge for you, especially like a super flex league, where he could be like a very very high end to just giving you solid production, not letting your team kind of wave her up and down like somebody like who maybe this year Anthony Richardson might the rushing upside could be there.
Speaker 1: But analogy yep, yep, And he's Anthony Richardson to be a perfect guy to pair with Kirk Cousins exactly because you know you don't want to pair Anthony Richardson with Justin Fields because if they both have non rushing games, that could be a lethal outcome for your team. But when you pair Anthony Richardson with a totally safe guy like Kirk Cousins, you've got a lot of rosters stability built in that Kirk gives you with sure points every week, and maybe more points this coming year than in the past. Dalvin cookesoff roster who knows this is Smeake really, you know who, Maybe this team throws the most passes in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I definitely would not be surprised.
Speaker 3: I mean we mentioned that this was the best season Kirk had last year, and now his weapons are only better because you have Addison replacement.
Speaker 2: Feeling Osbourne's gonna get a lot more looks.
Speaker 3: Probably still got jj Hockinson like this passing offense could really explode, especially like second year in a system always helps any quarterback.
Speaker 2: So yeah, sess it.
Speaker 1: Second year in the system and for Kirk Cousins, the first time in eight years he will have the same offensive coordinator in back to back.
Speaker 2: Is that is that real that?
Speaker 1: I didn't know that you can go eight years with nothing but oc churn, right, So now it's gonna be the same offensive coordinator, which is very very helpful for him and Jordan Addison. Addison's going to help a lot. You get a first round pick at wide receiver. Addison has a knack for getting open, creating space, creating cushion. He can be a downfield threat. Although they threw to him at USC in a pit a lot near the line of scrimmage, and dude would find ways to get open in very tight windows near the line of scrimmage. And what I like about Addison is sure justin Jefferson's going to still get some double teams, but what we saw were Jefferson couldn't always get over those double teams and he had some dud games, and he'd take Kirk down with him. Now, assuming Addison lives up to the first round billing, when Jefferson does get taken out of games, Addison's there to pick up the slack for Kirk.
Speaker 3: And I make them mention the comparison between Addison and Fling because I think Addison is just gonna slot right into that Theling role because they have very similar games. Yeah, And I just really like that, And I think it can vote very well for Kirk Cousins because he could have someone he can rely on rather than just JJ or no One.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally totally agree with with that opinion. And we don't know what's gonna happen with Addison. Presumably he will start right away because the depth chart is pretty thin for the Vikings at receiver and unclear you mentioned the slot. Unclear if Addison's going to work out of the slot, how much you know, But the way that the the way that we saw this offense work last year is everybody played everywhere. kJ Allisborne played in the slot the most, but he's in. But we don't know that that's going to be the case here coming this year. Addison played a lot in the slot, not entirely in the slot, played a lot in the slot at USC and Pitt.
Speaker 2: So we'll see who's.
Speaker 1: Going in the same area as Kirk Cousins. From an ADP standpoint.
Speaker 3: Right now, we got Daniel Jones actually going above.
Speaker 2: Kirk Cousins right now because of the run. The rushing exactly right. So whould you rather have so Daniel J. Cousins the past.
Speaker 1: Four years Daniel Daniel Jones high water mark on passing touchdowns fifteen. I know that's horrible, yeah, but literally half of the passing time.
Speaker 2: That's what you get when you're running quarterback.
Speaker 1: That is how it goes. I'm taking Kirk. I'm not the sure thing that Kirk gives me, and I don't feel that much better about the receiving weapons with the Giants yet that could crystallize.
Speaker 3: Jared Goff pretty much in this exact same situation as Kirk Cousins. Almost great offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kirk outscored him last year as QB nine. I think I'm gonna I'm gonna stick with Kirk with you because of the addition of Addison.
Speaker 2: I'm with you to.
Speaker 1: Concussion if he stays healthy in causion, if if it's best ball, different conversation. If you say two is told, you promised me to it could play sixteen games, I'm gonna take to it, okay, because the crazy weapons. Although Jeffers Jefferson is a pretty crazy weapons, so does t. J.
Speaker 2: Hockens.
Speaker 1: I'm don't you know, I'm taking Kirk either way.
Speaker 2: I think I take two if you gave me sixteen games, okay.
Speaker 1: Dak Prescott, his moronic interceptions are not my problem. Most of my leagues don't subtract anything for interceptions. They subtract two points for interception.
Speaker 2: Don't care.
Speaker 1: I think I'm you know, Zeke's not there anymore, and Zeke's been such a prolific touchdown scorer. You take Zeke out, that's gonna free up, you know, twelve touchdowns a year to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: That could go to Dak.
Speaker 3: I am very scared for Dak in the offensive play calling. We're gonna have this year because I think Mike McCarthy wants to run his offense like it's two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: But that's Brett far of two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: I'm interested, Yeah, Okay, maybe not twenty five twenty ten, where it's just it's a running game.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be centered around the pass.
Speaker 3: And I think that McCarthy isn't gonna have isn't gonna be have it as an explosive of an offense that Kellen Moore I think, provided I don't know why they got rid of Kellen Moore, by all accounts, seems like a great OC.
Speaker 1: I know there are a lot of questions about that for sure. All right, well, I think that's most Oh, let's just suck dynasty and Kirk Cousins turning thirty five. He'll is I think he's thirty four right now. He'll turn thirty five in season. I think he's still got good seasons left in him. I mean, the arm doesn't look materially worse now. And what you know, for sure, just because of who Kirk is, you know, it's not like he's out partying every night. The guy still going to take care of himself.
Speaker 2: I had the question is where's he going to play next season?
Speaker 1: There is that that's a fair notion. We don't know the answer that he is on the last year and his deal with Minnesota, and that's you know, you could project ahead and ask yourself, does he finally get to San Francisco. He's been rumored for San Francisco since he left Washington, right since Washington was melting down, he was been rumored to go there. Imagine Kirk in that offense next year QB eight maybe, yeah, QB nine last year absolutely, So I'm not that worried about like Kirk taking a huge downgrade.
Speaker 3: No, yes, talent wise, I don't think anyone's scared of Kirk. I think it's just where is he going to be? He might and you see that thing where he said he might retire where he's like, we'll see where we are this year, Like he said an interview, he decided to keep playing this year, like it was a question.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems a Kirk a little bit of a different can that's I mean, he's made all his money.
Speaker 1: He's made so much money and to you know, God bless him because he's worked the system impressively for himself. He's very religious, and you know, I wouldn't be surprised if Kirk just sort of like decides, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm done with football.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go spread the word. I'm going to go, you know, effectively lead a missionaries life, and I want to go, you know, just go do that. Now, that's you know, that wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. We'll see what you had to see.
Speaker 3: So I'd be cautiously buying Kirk right now, very very cautiously.
Speaker 1: I think I'm on the buy side of Kirk as well. I still think the Niners next year is a real possibility, and that would be very intriguing.
Speaker 2: We'll see how party plays this year.
Speaker 1: If yeah, that's right, I mean pretty might just be so Lance right, who knows San Francisco is situation here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But where he'll go, where Kirk will go? If not San Francisco. The kind of team that's going to buy Kirk is going to fall into one of two categories. A team that feels like they're a veteran quarterback away from a Super Bowl run and being really good, or it's the Raiders and Garoppolo, that kind of deal. We're a terrible team. We're just going to buy a year. So hopefully that wouldn't be the case for.
Speaker 2: Kirk to the Jets after Rogers retires this year. Not impossible.
Speaker 1: Remember he was almost a Jet before, but he loved to Washington. Not impossible, all right, Thank you for listening to this edition of Fantasy Football Weekly Micro edition coming up tomorrow. Another winner of the draft. This whole week, it's all winners of the draft, including Tennessee wide receiver Treilon Burt.