Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind listener Mail.
Speaker 3: My name is Robert Lamb and I am Joe McCormick, and every so often on the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast we do an episode like this where we read back messages from the Stuff to Blow Your Mind email address. We usually give it at the end of every episode, but we'll give it at the top of this one. If you have never gotten in touch before, you should give it a try. It's contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. All types of messages are welcome. Of course, we always appreciate feedback to recent episodes or older episodes if you want so. If you've got a correction that you need to give on something we said in an episode, obviously please send it our way. We always want to make sure we're getting all the facts right. But if you have something interesting to add to a topic we've talked about, something we did not get into in an episode series that would add to the subject, that's bullseye. That's exactly what we want kind of build on what we've done here in our listener mail episodes. Also, just any general feedback. If you want to suggest a topic for the future, suggest a movie for Weird House Cinema, or just say hi, tell us an interesting story, whatever suits you. Contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also email us at that address and ask for the invite link for our discord server, which is intentionally kept kind of like tight knit. But if you just email us and ask for the invite code, we'll send it your way and you can give it a shot.
Speaker 3: So let's see, Rob, are you good? If we kick things off with responses to our crab bag series.
Speaker 2: We absolutely should kick off with craps.
Speaker 3: So this was a recent roundup we did of all kinds of topics related to crabs, crab stuff, biological, behavioral, technological, metaphorical, and spiritual. And this series was in part requested by a listen our listener, Hannah, who did get in touch after we started the series with an email subject line OMG OMG OMG crabs and then the body just said thank you, So you're welcome, Hannah. But I figure I'm going to kick things off after this with a message from Hugh and this is responding to our story about the miracle crab of Saint Francis Xavier, which, according to legend, took hold of a crucifix that had been lost in a storm at sea, and then brought that crucifix, raised in its claws, back to its owner, Saint Francis, once he had landed on shore. So, Hugh says, dear Robert, Joe and JJ, do you think Xavier's crab booked it that entire way or was maybe a relay situation. Yeah, I didn't think about that. The crabs are working together. That did come up later, and actually later in the first episod, right, the question of whether crabs are ever cooperative or whether it's always just one crab for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I guess this comes into the imagined religious views of crabs. Are the crabs of the ocean? Are they one body of Christ? Are they one people who would do this? Or is this one crab an outlier? Are the rest of the crabs like atheist crabs? And this one crab has become faithful and participates in this miracle.
Speaker 3: That one Catholic crab the one that will go and preach to the nations of crabs. Yeah. Oh, and I forgot to set this up. But in this email, Hugh also makes reference to something where in this classic Renaissance painting of this miracle story where the crab is coming on shore, the crab is holding the crucifix up in the air above its body. And I was looking at this painting and I was like, why does this look so familiar? And I realized it looks exactly like the original theatrical release poster for Star Wars that has an illustrated, very muscly rendition of Mark Hamill holding the lightsaber up above his head. It's uncanny the resemblance, very very similar.
Speaker 2: Tom Young, the artist who did the famous poster, by the way, a pretty accomplished Chinese American post poster art artist. Pretty great stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a classic, even if it does give a different kind of vibe than the movie, like it may it makes it makes Luke Skywalker look like Conan the Barbaria instead of like, you know, you're supposed to be kind of a kid who's just looking for adventure. Yeah, But anyway, Hugh makes reference to that part of the episode, saying, also, I had always seen that Star Wars poster as an homage to Frank Frazetta. Maybe Frank got the idea from the painting you referenced. Congratulations on the Netflix gig. Thanks, huh, You're all doing a great job, Hugh. So, I actually did not know Frank Frazetta, at least my name, well not my name. Once I looked it up, I was like, oh, I recognize this style. So it is the classic paperback fantasy book cover style where you got hot barbarians and loincloth and metal bikinis, and you get weird monsters and beasts bristling, a lot of muscles and gleaming weapons and just bodies. And the figures in these in these illustrations have a lot of I was trying to think what to call this. They just have a lot of poise. They're like they they look like like statues in motion kind of. They're radiating strength and victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I've never really attempted to put any of it in words concerning Frank Fazeta, but you know, I've been I've been a fan of Frank Vizzeta for ages, and I think I follow the official Frank Fazeta Instagram account, so I keep bombarding myself with images of his and sometimes ones that I've never seen before, but yeah, there's something about his work. I mean, you know, he was great at capturing the human form and admired it greatly. And sometimes those human forms are not even wearing loincloths or metal bikinis. Sometimes they are naked. But then also all of these fantasy elements and sci fi elements that were you know, you know, a part of the commercial aspect of so many of these works. And there is that sense of movement, And I don't necessarily have the artistic language in my head to describe all of this, but there is a sense of like culmination and rising and physical movement, like the muscles that you see and the bones, like they all seem to be biologically active and some rippling.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, so yeah, very much concerned with strength and sexiness and weirdness all coming together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it is a style that is so attached to a specific time, Like anytime I see Frank Fizzetta, I also want to see that work on the side of a van, some sort of a wizard van roaring down a nineteen seventies highway.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think, like, if I had a billion dollars, what's the first thing I'd get, Like a wizard Van get that air brushed out real good. But yeah, anyways, so I h I was like, wait a minute, did Frank Frazetta ever do a crab?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Good question? So I googled Frank Frizzetta crab. Did not find anything that looked authentic. There were some grotesque looking, smoothed out AI imitations that I hated, but so far as I know, he never did any crab stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be on the lookout now because again I regularly bombard myself with for Zetta images, So if a crab pope pops up, I will report on it here and listeners. If you know of a Frank Fazzeta crab work, send it in. Yeah. This is fun because I was just the other day. I was looking through some titles for some Clark Ashton Smith short stories and I found one that has crabs in the title and in the plot, and I've never read it before. So I'm like, okay, I'm going to cue this up. The crabs crabs await us everywhere, even in places we thought we'd fully explore.
Speaker 3: Was it called like the Magic of Crabs or Master of Crabs? Master of Crabs?
Speaker 2: So I think it's dueling wizards and crabs, but I haven't I haven't read it yet, but it's it's cue up.
Speaker 3: Dear God, it's made for me. Well, I'm going to go read it whenever I get a chance. Here, let's see, Rob, do you want to do this message from Nathan?
Speaker 2: Yes? Uh oh this yeah, I'm going in cold on this one. I did not read this one when it came in, got lost in the shuffle. But Nathan comes at us with the subject why is a raven like a writing desk? This is a reference. I forget even how this came up.
Speaker 3: But I've actually got a note about this.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, good, Yeah, I'll start reading and then you can jump in with clarification. Okay, Dear Rob, Joe and JJ. At the end of part four of your Crab brag Bag Crab grab Bag episodes, you brought up the question why is a raven like a writing desk? As an example of a riddle with no clear answer, as if it were designed to start arguments.
Speaker 3: So I also at first couldn't remember how we got there, and I had to look it up. But this came up because you were talking about Japanese folk tales in which a crab asks riddles and then kills you if you don't answer correctly. Usually the answer to the riddle is crab, you know, like describes a creature and then you're like, what am I? And the person is supposed to guess crab, but they usually don't. And this led to us talking about whether nefarious crabs of some kind could be behind the social media strategy where people post riddles that don't actually have answers. In this case, it's to get people confused and make them waste a lot of time engaging with a post on social media or like arguing in the comments, And the purpose of this is engagement farming, trying to game the system on these you know, horrible social algorithms. But this led to Rob mentioning the riddle why is a raven like a writing desk, which obviously predates social media, but the through line was that this is also a riddle without a clear intended answer, or.
Speaker 2: At least that's the way I always thought of it. Again, this is a This just pops up in the last Unicorn, if I remember correctly, Yeah, yeah, And then Nathan goes on to clarify Rob mentioned its use in the film The Last Unicorn, but this riddle originally comes from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Okay, written by Lewis Carroll in eighteen sixty five. The Mad Hatter asked this of Alice during the Mad Tea party. He doesn't wait for an answer before the conversation moves on, but when Alice asks for the answer later, he replies, I haven't the slightest idea. See now, I'm wondering if it actually is in the Last Unicorn, and if I'm not misremembering something from Alice in Wonderland. Oh, Okay, who knows. I have a feeling we'll come back around to The Last Unicorn on Weird House Cinema at some point in the future, so we'll figure that out then. Okay, But anyway, more answers from Nathan here he continues. According to The nit Alice by Martin Gardner, Carol wrote the riddle with no answer in mind, but that didn't stop many readers from suggesting their own. There are too many proposed solutions to list in full. But here are some better ones. Okay, here we.
Speaker 3: Go, or some better I think, better known ones.
Speaker 2: Better known ones, yes, yeah, okay, this one from Sam Lloyd because Poe wrote on both that's good. Okay, yeah, yeah, okay, that that checks out. I had to think about it for a second. Both have inky quills. Hmm yeah, okay, yeah, or maybe all right. One is a rest for pins. The other is a pest for wrens with a w Okay, that's clever. That's clever. That one does a few backflips in that one, which I like. Okay, here's one. This one comes. This one was apparently attributed to Alba Sucksley. Because there is a B in both and an inn in neither.
Speaker 3: I don't get that.
Speaker 2: I don't get anything. That's that's the way Homer. We're gonna have to think about that.
Speaker 3: There is an N in both writing desk and raven, and there is not a bee in either one. So I don't I'm not following. There's some kind of irony here that's gone past me.
Speaker 2: But there is a bee in the word both, and there's an N in the word neither. Yeah, okay, oh, this one was. Here's an answer that came there was presented in Stephen King's The Shining. This is a book I read in junior high. So it's been a long time. But this answer is the higher the fewer. Of course, the higher the fewer.
Speaker 3: Okay, that one's gone past me.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, wait, Nathan says, this is actually the answer to an entirely different nonsense riddle, when is a mouse if it spins?
Speaker 3: Okay, I still don't get it, Okay.
Speaker 2: They continue. In the preface of the eighteen ninety six edition of the book, Carroll himself finally included his own solution to the riddle, while acknowledging it was just an after that quote because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat, and it is never put with the wrong end. First, Carol intentionally misspelled the word never as n e v a r raven spelled backwards, but later printers corrected the spelling to any v e r and so the punchline was lost in translation, or rather in transcription. Thanks as always for your delightful and insightful podcast, Nathan, Thank you, Nathan. Yeah, that's that's that's I again. I'm not entirely sure now if this poem, I mean, this riddle is reference in the Last Unicorn. Maybe I was misremembering it from else Adventures in Wonderland, But at any rate, This was a lot of fun going through these supposed answers to it.
Speaker 3: My favorite is Poe wrote on both that's.
Speaker 2: Good, that's good. Yeah, Yeah, one is a pet, one is a rest for pens and the other pets for rinds. I will also.
Speaker 3: Exactly yeah, thumbs up. Yeah, okay, you want me to do this one from.
Speaker 2: Chris, Let's do it?
Speaker 3: Chris says, oh. Subject line Mysteries and Crabs Robert and Joe while enjoying the Vault, episode three of Mystery Cults, focusing in part on the experiences associated with them being less about appeasing deities but more about becoming part of the mortal's identity and possibly a combination of revelation and inspiration. I was struck by the example of the goddess Demeter's daughter Persephone and her eating food while in hades and it's binding her there. It reminded me of Hyamiyazaki's excellent Spirited Away, in which a family inadvertently travels to a spirit realm, where the parents eat at an empty restaurant and are turned into pigs by a resident for their transgression. Yeah, they eat of the food of the spirit world, and thus they are trapped there. I don't remember crabs being part of their meal, so there is no connection to the Crabbag episodes that I'm aware of. However, Crabbag episode three and your discussion of crabs as inspiration for military devices an inventor is writing directly to President Lincoln. And the mention of balloons used during the Civil War did bring to mind Jules Verne's Mysterious Island, in which balloonists blown to an island in the South Pacific did encounter a giant crab, among other things, at least in the nineteen sixty one si Infield film version. Keep out the good work, and maybe iHeart will finally give you, gentlemen, that squad of research assistants and librarians you deserve. Chris, Yes, it's a long shot. I keep requesting them. I want them to be like the Dwarves and the Phantasm movies, except they do research for us. Yeah. This is kind of a yeah, a peek into behind the scenes discussions. You know, We've talked about this before, and I feel like part of the problem is that the research process is sort of how we create the product. Like a lot of what we end up talking about is not just presenting information, but talking about the process of learning about a subject, which you only really get if you do the research yourself.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and finding the little the little research conduits that that speak to us individually. It leads us in some of our some of our favorite areas in the podcast, you know, some of our favorite discussions and uh and subtopics have been just because we've followed our own particular interests while researching. And you know, you might get that if you had a really good research You know, certainly there's plenty of podcasters out there and writers and so forth use researchers and make good use of their their talents. And I don't know, maybe we're just stubborn and we should we should give it a shot. But h but this is what we've done so far.
Speaker 3: Oh but coming back to Jules Verne and the Mysterious Island, I don't think I ever read that book. If I did, for some reason, I have a weak memory of it, but I uh don't think and I don't think i've seen the movie either. But it's one of those stories I just have a vague general awareness of. And I was thinking about a giant crab there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I have seen a giant crab scene because it's got a big of stop motion crabs. But yeah, I haven't seen the film in full.
Speaker 3: All right, well, Rob, you want to pick. We don't have to do these in order pick pick whatever you want for the.
Speaker 2: Next Yeah, this next one's highly visual. It's gonna be lost on nearly everyone. Even if you have video, you're not gonna see this image, I guess. But at any rate, this one comes to us from Sir Eel, subject crabstab. They write as follows. Was doodling whilst listening to the first two episodes of Crab grab Bag and the Saint Francis story. That was that was an interesting subject. Note the crab is no particular species and the crucifix is of no particular denomination. Thank you for the years of brain food and many more to come, sincerely, Sir Eel. And then we have this nice tight little sketch here of a crab species unknown holding crucifix denomination unknown that has a Christ crucified on it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This crab is holding it overhead on its side, rather than straight up as in the Xavier image imagery that we were talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the painting we saw the crab is holding it straight up like the lightsaber in the Star Wars poster, so it's vertical orientation. But yeah, this makes more sense.
Speaker 2: And we also have a sort of a New York Times style caption here, keep your junk out of my yard, which I like. That's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I will note that if this is supposed to be a crucifix crab, I think the crucifix crab has the little backweg legs or the swimmer legs, not the walking legs like this. I'm not trying to criticize, sir Eel. I appreciate the illustration. Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's a miracle crab. You know who knows what it's for.
Speaker 3: Miss Yeah, okay, let's see. I'll do this message from Carrie Carrie right oh, subject line bass awkward horseshoe crabs. This message is about the story we talked about in Crabbag Part three, where a guy known only by the initial C. D K wrote a marvelous letter to the Scientific American. This was during the Civil War, and the letter advocated that the Union Navy construct a giant steam powered horseshoe crab called the King Crab Warship, which would be invincible would be the ultimate naval technology, though there were some details of both biology and technology in this letter that seemed a little fuzzy, and CDK writes not CDK sorry, Carry rights, Rob and Joe. Hearing cdk's description of his idea contained in the Scientific American of a ramming weapon modeled on the horseshoe crab, I get the feeling that he never actually saw the animal in life. That's the possibility. His description of the pointed prow, the back being wedge shaped, the bow armored with a row of smaller spikes, and the ability to raise and lower its front makes me think that he was confused and thought that the back end of the crab was actually the front end. Yeah, we sort of came to the same conclusion, and that's what it sounded like, Carrie says, when you look at a horseshoe crab this way, his description makes sense. The crab's rear end is pointed, its actual head is wedge shaped, there is a row of backwards pointing spikes, and the telson can lift the backside. Just an observation. I thought, I chair take care, Carrie, carry. I think you're I think you're dead. On on that that that was my reading as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like inverted biommicry, here you venture into your design using backwards understanding of the organism.
Speaker 3: Though. I do love this as like a you know, an idea that aliens come to Earth and look at all these quadrupedal mammals and they all think that the tails are a like spike coming out of the face, and they're like, wow, they have all of these sensory organs on their butts. That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: All right, let's been shrew on to an other one. This one's really good. It concerns lily Putian hallucinations, so this doesn't really concern crabs. I don't as possible crabs will come up in the comment, but I don't think they will. This one comes to us from a repeat correspondent, Renata, and it goes as follows, Hi, Robin Joe. When I saw there was an episode on lily Putian hallucinations, I got confused and thought it was going to be about something else called Alice in Wonderland syndrome. This, by the way, is also discussed in Oliver Sack's book. Anyway, they continued, thank you for the great episode. Lily Putian hallucinations are equally fascinating, and I have a bit of secondhand experience with that. More on that later. Alice in Wonderland syndrome involves distorted perceptions of the size of yourself relative to other objects, and even the size of one of your body parts relative to one another. Alice's experiences in the book are caused by a mushroom, but in reality, the syndrome mainly affects children who have had a serious infection. Thankfully, it usually doesn't last for most kids. I highly recommend looking up some of the children's first hand accounts of their experiences. This might sound mean, but there is something especially adorable about the way that kids describe this bizarre and unfamiliar experience, such as, Mommy, why did your hand turn into a doll hand? If you look up the very short Wikipedia article on the Lecutian hallucinations, it mentions Alice in Wonderland's syndrome and a few other related syndromes. What I find so intriguing about these is what you brought up in the episode, which is that certain stimuli can cause highly consistent hallucinations, while other hallucinogens involve a broader range of altered experiences. Perhaps related is the phenomena that certain drugs and drug combinations can induce deja vu, sometimes an overwhelming and upsetting frequency of dejav vu. Now that's interesting. I wasn't familiar with that myself. Yeah, so we may have to come back to that. I don't know that we've.
Speaker 3: We've done something on deja vous before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember talking about drug interactions or drug combinations causing it though, Yeah, either, I have to look into that anyway. I wish more science will be done to understand these reproducible ways that our senses of reality can be hindered or altered, as it could lead to a better understanding of how our conscious perception is constructed. But it seems like these cases are mostly on the fringes of science and not study directly. Anyways, back to lillly Fusian hallucinations. My dad has experienced them. He would sometimes go walking at dusk or night, and he has fairly bad eyesight. Not sure walking at night was the best idea. He doesn't do it anymore. He said that if he could make out something like a leaf or a stick, he would see little people crawling on them and dancing. I had already heard of these types of hallucinations before and told him it was probably not serious and not to worry too much. I should ask him if he still ever experiences them. Truly wonderful, wonderful episodes late you still find interesting topics and continue to be delightful and entertaining after so many years.
Speaker 3: The very best renat Thank you, Ranata. Yeah, that's interesting, and that would match with a lot of the research we were looking at where Liliputian hallucinations, apart from being triggered by consuming this particular mushroom in China, a common way people get to these seems to be conditions affecting the eye sight, like degeneration of eyesight or low light conditions. Things that affect the vision itself in some way sometimes lead to Liliputian hallucinations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so yeah. I absolutely love this bit of feedback, and we love in any time we can get this kind of like in the field response, you know, first or secondhand, really really helps us understand the topics a lot more, and I think helps illustrate it for listeners as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I'm going to do a couple of these messages about gold paint, if that's good with you, Rob, Yeah, yeah. So in the last Listener Mail episode, read a message that was following up on a thread about whether a person will suffocate if they are painted gold like in the movie Goldfinger. This originally came up in passing on an episode about the Twilight Zone episode the Rip van Winkle Caper, and because it was just kind of a side comment, we actually hadn't researched the answer, but I guessed that the answer was no, that would not happen because humans don't actually significantly breathe through their skin. We breathe through our lungs. But then on the Listener Mail episode after that, a listener named Brian got in touch to share a story from history in which a chronicler of the Medichi family from the sixteenth century claimed, and this was Brian's description. So, in Brian's words, quote, Pope Leo the tenth, a Medichi and arguably the worst pope of all time, had a boy painted fully painted in gold to celebrate the Pope's return to Florence. The boy died mere days later. I'm sure the I'm sure paint in the sixteenth was highly questionable in and of itself, so presumably any of the substances in the paint could have been the cause. But yes, we do have death by gold paint.
Speaker 2: Well, this makes me feel a lot better, because you know, I was doubting the gold finger thing, and I was like, what else did I learn from bond films that I now have to unlearn? So this I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Speaker 3: Here the most factual factual of all cannons. Yeah, but then we talked about, Okay, so we don't know if this historical story is actually true, but assuming it is true, my guess was still probably that if this boy died, it would be from something other than suffocation. I mean, you could die from other things, yeah, like toxic chemicals in the paint, or very likely actually from overheating, because you know, this prevents you from like sweating and letting heat out through your skin. But again, we breathe mostly through our lungs, not through our skin, so it didn't seem like suffocation would be the most likely explanation. But of course, you know, as always, were open to contradictory evidence. So we joked then about whether the MythBusters had ever tried to sort this out and whether such an attempt would would have involved painting Jamie Gold. Wouldn't you know? The joke scenario that we conjured up actually happened on the show and multiple listeners got in touch to let us know. So this is from Karen. Karen says, Hi, Robert and Joe. On your recent listener mail episode Lamerte, you further discussed the possibility of death being caused by being covered in gold paint, then offhandedly suggested that the MythBusters may have done it, including joking did they paint Jamie Gold? Yes to both, They did indeed test this myth by painting Jamie with gold paint. The plan was to cover him in paint and have him run on a treadmill. However, after the latex paint was applied, Jamie started to show a significant negative reaction. To everyone's surprise, his blood pressure shot up and he reported feeling generally ill and lightheaded. Two onset ParaMed two onset paramedics strongly advised him not to do any strenuous exercise and remove the paint immediately. The conclusion was that covering the skin with latex paint caused him to overheat and subsequently feel ill and stressed in various ways. The episode also featured Shirley Eton, the actor who who portrayed the gold painted woman in Goldfinger. Apparently there's an urban legend that she died during filming as a result of the paint. She recounted the experience on set, feeling very hot and strange while being covered in paint, but definitely not dying. And then Karen provides a link to the full episode and talks a bit. Oh, and then says, I didn't write in after you discussed this in the original episode because I assumed many other people would bystander effect here. So I'm writing in now in case any in case everyone else is suffering from a listener male version of the bystander effect. Oh, I preempted you. Yeah, sorry, Thanks for the fantastic podcast, Karen.
Speaker 2: There you go that. Yeah, we we just we joked that this this had possibly happened, and it had happened. I'm glad nobody died though.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So sounds like it could very well be lethal, but not by the mechan probably not by the mechanism usually used to explain it, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, putting a strong do not attempt at home warning on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Uh. And then also listener Lex wrote in to share this information, noting that the myth was tested not once actually, but twice on MythBusters because they came back to it in one of their revisited episodes where they painted the other guy gold. They painted Adam gold also because you both got to get painted gold.
Speaker 2: Once, okay, so that the on site medics were like, Okay, you can do it one more time. All right.
Speaker 3: Well, that suggests to me that it's, you know, not advisable, but not so incredibly dangerous that they wouldn't wouldn't try it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still do not attempt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: This one, next one that comes to us from Joe. This one. This one's pretty fun. This is a response to a recent artifact Shorty episode Having to do It is really the second artifact Shorty that I've done on gadget canes. And if you didn't listen to that one or the older one, go back. But basically it comes down to the fact that sword canes became popular essentially because wearing an open weapon became kind of frowned upon, so like hide that lethal blade. And then people got into putting all sorts of things in their canes as a gimmick, you know, like little things like they would often line up with your occupation. Like I covered a fiddle that was hidden in a cane. It's not a good fiddle, it's it's just a novelty. But you can imagine a scenario where oh, you know, he likes to play the fiddle, he needs a cane. Now he has a fiddle cane and it's what it was fashionable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got a dental drill cane.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, all sorts of stuff and then we talked. We talked. Was a Benjamin Franklin and had a practical application. He had oil and in his cane at what a bamboo walking stick? Oh yeah, so sometimes there's a semi practical reason for it. But anyway, listener, Joe writes in and says, love your artifacts episode on the myriad use of canes for discrete purposes. As a blind man that uses a white cane to orient and maneuver through the world, I like to share a tidbit with curious individuals asking about my stick. I let them know how the white cane is actually recognized as a protected federally regulated safety device, and because of such, my cane is allowed to have a small three inch retractable blade in the top in the handle all white canes do. And invariably when they ask me really, I tell them no, not really. But hey, please help me propagate this rumor because maybe you'll help. You'll be helping keep a blind or visually impaired safe person safe. One day, some mugger remembers hearing the Old wives tale of blind guys with knives in their canes. Anyway, thought it was appropriate and wanted to share all the best.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Joe. That's a good strategy. Yeah, so the doubt and the fun jet I like that. All right, let's do a few responses to our Polywater series. This was a series of episodes we did in January about a revolutionary physical substance called polywater, which a bunch of people in the nineteen sixties and early seventies became convinced did exist, but which it later turned out definitely did not exist. Polywater was supposedly a polymer like arrangement of water which took on a jellied or wax like consistency at room temperature, but again, of course, it never existed, and by the early to mid seventies, skeptical scientists had proved that it was largely the product of just contaminated experimental samples. And this historical saga led into a discussion on our show about a concept known as pathological science. So we got into the question of how researchers can be led into delusion and compounding error like a paper talking about common features of programs that go haywire in this way, and then we also did a segment about historical cases of scientific research containment panic when people get the idea for valid reasons or not a lot of times not for valid reasons, but sometimes with legitimate cause for concern, when they get the idea that a specific research program will lead to worldwide calamity if pursued or if it gets out of hand. This was related to polywater because some researchers in the late sixties proposed that if a molecule of polywater got out of the lab and into the soil or the natural water supply, it would lead to an apocalyptic scenario like the end of Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat a cat's cradle where all of the world's water is frozen at room temperature and is made biologically useless. In this case, we imagined a bizarre wax world where all the water is turned to a waxy consistency. Wouldn't be a good thing to happen. Fortunately, there was no danger of this because again polywater isn't real. But anyway, one of the research panic episodes that we talked about in this discussion was when some people got the idea for not good reasons in this case, that activation of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN would create black holes that would consume planet Earth. And it turned out physicists had already modeled this and they ruled out. They ruled that there was no danger of this happening. But our longtime listener and frequent correspondent Jim gets in touch on this subject. This is from Jim in New Jersey who says, Robert, Joe, and JJ you mentioned the concern that the Large Hadron Collider might destroy the Earth. Fortunately we can check for that at has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the Earth destroyed the world? Yet dot com so they got a dot com domain there not a dot org. That's interesting, and Jim says, last I checked, We're good. I went to check this website out, and Rabbi attached a screenshot of the homepage as of this morning. It's a big black screen with white text that says nope. And Jim has pointed out some embedded HTML from this page that includes I think it's JavaScript saying like if and then the variable is world has ended right up, and then you know else write nope the script ends. And then also the page contains some other you know, embedded text that says something about if a giant laser eyed bunny has destroyed the world, you can email this email address to get a refund, I guess for a refund for being an earthling. I think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I actually didn't figure out what that second thing is about. I don't know if the laser eyed bunny is anything, or if that's just a mockery of the idea that the af Dron collider would destroy the world. But anyway, yes, thank you for letting us know, Jim.
Speaker 2: All right, This next one comes to us from Taylor, and this is responding to our episode on a let's see what do we call this one? It was biophilian Pokemon or something to that effect. Taylor, Right, Hello, Rob, Joe, and JJ. Having previously volunteered myself as stuffed to blow your mind's unofficial Pokemon correspondent, and written multiple listener mails about Pokemon, recently about the surreal Pokemon god arseius if I'm I'm not sure I'm pronouncing that one correctly, but this is a big one. It's central to one of the video games. I was stoked to see this episode arrive in my feed. I am a lifelong Pokemon fan and a professional naturalist and conservationist. I was born in nineteen ninety six, the same year that the original Pokemon video games were released, making both them and I late malis. For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with both Pokemon and the natural world. As I have grown and my interests have evolved, my love of nature and my love of Pokemon have continually fed into each other, and I am by no means alone in this. In my interactions with friends and colleagues in my field, I've come to realize that within my generation, the proportion of zoology professionals, paleontologists, taxonomists, wildlife biologists, and naturalists who are also Pokemon fans is wildly high. Whether this relationship is causal or correlative is another question, but I can confirm from first hand observation that it's very real. I currently work as a naturalist and educator at the Minnesota Minnesota Zoo, where one of my responsibilities is to write educational curriculum for summer camps that we host. I am currently in the process of revising a Pokemon themed zoology summer camp that the Zoo has been hosting for several years. This camp is the brain child of several of my coworkers and I, who suffer, as y'all might put it, a chronic Pokemon infection. The summer camp is dedicated to comparing and contrasting the world of Pokemon with our own natural world, using the Goliath franchise as a springboard to discuss real world biology and natural diversity. Campers in the class collect Pokemon in a pokedex they illustrate by observing their natural world parallels around the zoo, marrying the creature collecting mechanic of the games with naturalist observations. They also learn the ways in which real world evolution differs from evolution in the Pokemon games, pokemon evolution is better likened to the real world phenomenon of metamorphosis. Quote, Fully evolved Pokemon lay eggs that hatch into their unevolved states, indicating that this is an adult slash juvenile relationship. The three stages of many insects and amphibiuan Pokemon directly mirror real world examples of metamorphosis. To the credit of these first and second graders, very few fail to grasp distinction others mileage may vary, but for me and many scientists and science educators of my generation, the relationship between Pokemon and naturalism is not one of competition, but of beautiful symbiosis. I hope you've enjoyed my unapologetically nerdy perspective. I know it has a home among the wonderful community surrounding the show. As ever, thank you so much for your fantastic intersectional dives into subjects mundane and marvelous. Sincerely, Taylor.
Speaker 3: Wow, thank you, Taylor. That's great to hear. I mean, that's funny, that sort of exactly the question we're exploring in the episode. So you're living it, you are, you are the phenomenon. And then Rob I don't know whether you want to get into these, but Taylor included a number of postscripts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a look at these postscripts. Some of these might just be for us. Let's see there is a he does point out that. Let's see, here's one. Joe joked about peach baby Pikachu being an artifact of our current moment akin to Baby Yoda. Piachu is old enough to rent a car. This Pokemon has been around since the second generation of Pokemon games in nineteen ninety nine. We're currently at the end of the ninth generation, anticipating the tenth generation this fall of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: I stand corrected, Baby Pikachu is older than Baby Yoda.
Speaker 2: All right, here's another one. I do remember this question coming up of fish are on fish Pokemon. In the anime, fish Pokemon generally don't battle out of water when engaging in a water battle. In the games, swimming Pokemon swim, and terrestrial Pokemon fight from inflatable rats. It's very silly on land fully aquatic Pokemon magically swim through the air levitating. We just kind of suspend our disbelief on this one. An exception that breaks the fourth wall is the Pokemon Magic Harp, a fish Pokemon known for being completely useless see the Magic Carp song in battle. Magic Harp is only capable of using the move splash, which it helps in which it helplessleave flops around on the ground. This is the main one I was familiar with because this was shown to me at some point and it was hilarious. So I didn't know if they all behaved like magic Harp or not. But now we have a complete answer.
Speaker 3: But wait, I have a long ago memory of some episodes we did about that involved leaping fish, I think, and in that we got into the idea of a myth or a legend, I think a Chinese legend about the carp that leaps over the rainbow or the carp that leaps up the waterfall or something turning into a dragon. And then I remember a listener got in touch with us to let us know that there is a Pokemon equivalent of this. There's like, oh, I think it was magic Harp. I don't know. I'm out of my depth here because I don't know Pokemon, but that's my memory. It was magic Harp that leaps over something and turns into a dragon. Does this ring a bell for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it faintly does, but I do not have a strong memory of this. Folks.
Speaker 3: We just got an update from our resident Pokemon expert our producer JJ, who says that yes, Magic Harp does evolve into the powerful dragon form Pokemon giri Dos. Do I say that right?
Speaker 2: I hope? So? Uh?
Speaker 3: And yeah, so uh what I said was at least partially correct. Okay, update number two, JJ, just let us know that actually we're gonna get some well actually is about that because there is such a thing called a dragon type Pokemon, and gied Doos might not be one of those. Is maybe like water or something else. So I'm just making I'm making a mess everywhere I go here.
Speaker 2: We just got to get JJ on the mic for some Pokemon discussions at some point.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, okay, Rob, do you mind if I read another message about polywater?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay. This one is from Tanner, subject line real life Polywater. Greetings, gentlemen, it's great to see you on the small screen. It's always interesting to compare what we think people look like based on their voices and what they actually look like. I had seen your photos from the Museum of illusions, but seeing y'all in motion is a little surreal. Lol. Well, yeah, I hope we can. I hope we're weird enough for you. Man. Yeah, let's see. Tanner says, I think I have two examples of polywater, one real, one fictional. The fictional one comes from the Three Body Problem trilogy by Sitchin lou The End. It is the dual vector Foil. It's a weapon fired at solar systems with tech signals by advanced alien species as a preemptive strike. Once the weapon enters the Solar system, it expands and accelerates towards and through the Solar System, collapsing all matter into a lower dimension. Planets become massive discs, and then rings of color beings caught in it flatten and freeze, and stars collapse and spoilers for the end of the trilogy. Well you know, warning, folks, spoilers are incoming. Since these weapons have infinite range, they eventually convert all matter into two dimensions.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I did not get that far in the trilogy. I read the first.
Speaker 3: Book and for the real example of polywater. Preons, like polywater and ice nine. Preons are alternative isomers of healthy proteins that are capable of spreading themselves by contacting normal molecules, since they're chemically identical to Since they're chemically identical, the conditions that cause them to de nature are very similar to healthy ones, and the new structure is biologically inactive, if not actively fatal. Thanks for all the insightful content you produce. Cheers, uh, and let's see. Oh. Tanner also asks for the discord link. So I assume we sent it to Tanner, but I.
Speaker 2: Will probably did. But if I ever fail to send it, ask me again. Sometimes sometimes we.
Speaker 3: Get a lot of email folks. Yeah, so sometimes we don't get a chance to replies off as we'd like. So yeah, please, if you don't hear back and you want the discord link, send it again.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's go ahead and look at some weird house cinema listener mail here. Let's see what we have. All right, Let's go ahead and read one here from Chris, subject the Ankle Snatcher. Chris writes, good day, In case the bugins didn't hit your quota for ankle snatching, I wanted to recommend a Grady Hendrick short story called The Ankle Snatcher. I found it in the Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy twenty twenty four, and it's been haunting me ever since. Also, it may be too recent for Weird House Cinema, but I have to recommend a movie called The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot. I consider it an honorary Vonnegut story. Best wishes, Chris.
Speaker 3: I have not seen that movie, but I've encountered the title and I was puzzled.
Speaker 2: I've heard good things about it. I've also heard that it's not like it's kind of a goofy sounding title, and it maybe sounds a little more absurdist than it actually is. But I've heard good things about it. Okay, Yeah, and as for the Ankle Scratcher here, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like some form of adaptation is in the works. I see it listen on IMDb. I don't know if that's a film, a short film. Could be a podcast or a video game for all I know, but maybe something is brewing in the Ankle Snatcher universe.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, This next message is from Jay, subject line the Blob. Hi, guys, on your recent Weird House Cinema, you were asking which blob version you should cover Oh yeah, the nineteen fifties or sixties one, the older one or the one from the eighties. Jay says, I think it would be fun and weird to cover them both in the same episode. Calm down, Jay, Jay says, keep up the fantastic work. It sustains a lot of us through these twisting times. We're trying. We're all trying, Jay. Yea, but yeah, it's uh. That would be a lot to do in one episode. The episode weird how someone can run long even covering one movie, So I think we would probably break it up into two episodes.
Speaker 2: We've only ever successfully done one episode that covered two movies, and those were like short, silent films as that.
Speaker 3: Recalls, yeh oh, where we did Ashen Puttle and The Mechanical Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So for that to work, they need to be short and have no words in them. So it's possible we could do something like that again, but not with two feature length films. That would be crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, Rob your pick, select the next one here.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's say I think we had a one here that I was taken with. Let's say, ah, oh, this one's this one's good. Okay, this one comes to us from Jeff. Jeff says, Hi, guys, big weird House fan here. I love to track down these films to watch before listening to your commentary. Lots of fun. I have a suggestion for you. Millennium nineteen eighty nine. Chris Christofferson is investigating a plane crash when he meets Cheryl Ladd, who is a time traveler from an apocalyptic future. There's lots of weirdness to enjoy, including a freaky looking humanoid robot. This one is directed by Michael Anderson, who did Logan's Run seventy six, another possible candidate for Weird House. Keep up the good work well. Logan's Run seventy six is a favorite of mine and one we may very well come back to. Millennium I've never seen I remember when it came out, and it definitely has a cool cast and the stills look interesting. But I mostly remember this film because of a sketch on The Kids in the Hall in which Scott Thompson's buddy Cole is doing a monologue and he's talking a little bit about differences between Canada and America and talks about the film and TV industry and anyway, there's a where Buddy Cole was talking about having been in Millennium. Scott Thompson, the actor playing Buddy Cole, actually was. So Cole tells us, I'm going to quote the skit here. I'm in this new American picture, Millennium. It's a big budget science fiction thriller starring Cheryl Ladd. You see, one day some American thought, hey, I want to make a terrible movie in Canada. Everybody else has. I play the best friend of the timegate operator. He has one line, but he says it directly to me. This movie is full of Canadian actors with one line. It's great. It won't make a dime.
Speaker 3: So I want to cry. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the main thing that sticks out to me about Millennium. But yeah, we could come back and do Millennium. Plus, hey, Scott Thompson is in it. I love it when there's a you know, a star hidden in there somewhere, or future star if you will.
Speaker 3: All right, well, this has been a good mailbag, but I think we have to call it there.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good, going to go ahead and close it up, but yeah, right in, we would love to hear from you out there again. Just a reminder. Stuff Well in Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast. Core episodes Tuesdays and Thursdays, Friday's Weird House Cinema short form episode on Wednesdays. Yeah, and I don't know if there's anything else we really need to cover here, but I guess we'll go ahead and throw it out. If you've made it this far through the through the listener mail episode, hey, make sure you rate interview where if you have the ability to do that, give us some stars, thumbs up, two thumbs up. I don't know. Every platform is a little different, but whatever it is, we greatly appreciate the support.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want to help us out, subscribe wherever you get your audio podcasts. And if you're watching us on Netflix, click remind me so we pop up in your feed when we release a new video episode. So I guess that does it huge. Thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.