Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're sketching out a rough schedule for all the different sporting events we want to.
Speaker 2: Hit up this summer.
Speaker 1: Are scients still working on teleportation devices or cloning?
Speaker 2: If so, let's chat.
Speaker 1: It's Tuesday, May sixth, and on today's show you'll hear another amazing conversation from Thursday's espnW summit.
Speaker 2: In New York City. This time it's my chat with Kim Minor.
Speaker 1: Chief of staff and chief legal officer for the NWSL's Boston Legacy FC, and Teresa Esh, friend of the show and president of the WNBA's Toronto Tempo. We of course get into the name change drama in Boston and the name leak incident in Toronto. Plus we talked through the lessons they've learned launching new franchises, how they've taken in and responded to feedback from fans, recruiting players in the NWSL without a draft, making the first's count, and the way celebrity owners impact teams. Plus Carly Lloyd issues an apology. Naomi Osaka is back in.
Speaker 2: The Winter Circle and the weight is over for Golden State Valkyrie basketball.
Speaker 1: It's all coming up right after this welcome back slices, Here's what you need to know today in footy news. On Saturday, former US women's national team star Carly Lloyd was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in a ceremony in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 2: The honor is well deserved.
Speaker 1: The forty two year old's international career spanned seventeen years, and in that time she grabbed two Olympic gold medals, two FIFA World Cup trophies, and two FIFA Player of the Year awards. But Lloyd's twenty minute acceptance speech wasn't really your run of the mill thanks. She used part of it to issue an apology to her former teammates.
Speaker 2: Take a listen.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there to make friends or follow the crowd. I was there to push myself to the very top while helping my team win championships. That drive often meant keeping people at a distance. I avoided unnecessary drama. I rarely showed weakness, and vulnerability wasn't something I allowed myself to express. I wouldn't say I have regrets, but if there's one thing I do wish, I wish I had let more people understand me. Over the years, I operated like an emotionless machine. I was intense and I truly believed that the only way for me to survive in such a cutthroat environment was to be that way. So to my teammates, I want to say this, I'm sorry I wasn't always able to give you.
Speaker 2: All of me.
Speaker 1: I remember Carly and a former trainer speaking at an espnW summit and the way they talked about the work that she put in, the hours, the time, the commitment to her sport. I was both impressed and mildly concerned. And it wasn't until later that she talked about regretting not inviting family and friends to her games and trying to shut them out of her soccer world in order to stay focused that I think she really realized the price she'd paid for her dedication to greatness. So I kind of love hearing her talk about that. And you know, it's hard to look back and say, would you have had the same success if you had done things differently and not you know, feel like, oh, I don't want to regret all the wins that I got as a result of the choices I made. But really interesting to hear her sort of reflect on that and see it differently now that she's out of the sport. We'll link to the full speech in our show notes if you want to check it out. Over to the NWSL Got Them f C forward Astaire Gonzalez was named the Player of the Month for the month of April.
Speaker 2: No surprise.
Speaker 1: There seven goals for her, including three braces and two game winners in the month of April. She is the current leader in the Golden Boot race for most goals in the league. Angel City f C forward Riley Tiernan was named Rookie of the Month. She scored a pair of goals across three matches in April, including the game winner in Angel City's three to one win over the Houston Dash. She leads all rookies in scoring through six weeks of league play. I also want to give a shout out to fifteen year old KK Reem, who became the youngest starter in NWSL regular season history in the Utah Royals two nil loss to the North Carolina Courage over the weekend. The Harriman, Utah native is also the Royal's youngest signee ever. She inked her contract at just fifteen years and one hundred and fifty seven days old.
Speaker 2: Can't drive a car, but she could drive the hell out of a ball. Tennis.
Speaker 1: We're a little late catching up on the weekend's tennis results, but better late than never. World number one Arena Sabalanca won the Madrid Open final on Saturday, defeating number three Coco Goff in straight sets. The victory marks her third at the tournament and twentieth career title overall. She has gotten off to a scorching start in twenty twenty five, making four straight finals, with the French Open coming up at the end of the month. More tennis, Twenty seven year old Naomio Osako won her first WTA title since twenty twenty one on Sunday at the Lope in thirty five to Saint Malo. It was also her first win since giving birth in July twenty twenty three. The four time Grand Slam winner earned the w five tournament title in straight sets, and she did it on clay, a surface that's been historically difficult for her. She alluded to that in a post on X after the win, writing quote, kind of ironic to win my first trophy back on the surface that I thought was my worst. That's one of my favorite things about life, though, there's always room to grow and evolve.
Speaker 2: Thanks to everyone accompanying me on this journey.
Speaker 1: I know it's turbulent, but it's also really fun and I'm grateful. End quote in WNBA News. There are three more preseason games to tune into tonight, including the Golden State Valkyries hosting the Los Angeles Sparks at ten pm Eastern. It'll be the first time the Valks take the court in their inaugural season of league action. I'm so excited to see what they've been putting together and super excited to see those six jerseys in action. That Valkyrie's Violet is so good. You can catch that game and the other two with a free preview of WNBA League Pass. We'll link to the schedule in our show notes. We got to take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to dig into expansion with Kim Minor and Teresa Rahans. Stay tuned, Welcome back, Slices. Let's listen to my interview with Teresa and Kim. I would like to first welcome up Kim Minor, chief of staff and chief legal Officer.
Speaker 2: For Boston Legacy FC.
Speaker 1: She previously served as Executive VP and General counsel for the Worcester Red Sox.
Speaker 2: Did I say that right? Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Worcester Woosta Wosta formerly the pot talk at Red Sox and she got her start in sports with the Red Sox and she was a college softball player at Tops. Give it up for Kim.
Speaker 2: We knew this was coming.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, I did not request this time. So good, so good.
Speaker 1: Okay, give it up for Teresa Rush, president of the Toronto Tempo, formerly VP of Basketball Operations for the Toronto Raptors. She also spent four years at the NBA office and was an All conference college volleyball player at Augustana.
Speaker 2: Give it up for Teresa.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, Canada pass that.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: So. Do you think that every time Shania Twain has a girl's night when they leave, she goes, let's go girls.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna start doing that anyway, and I'm not Shania Twain. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm so pumped for this conversation about expansion and hearing from some of the people that are entering this space at this incredible moment for women's sports and the power and opportunity that you have and Kim, I want to talk about your entry into the space because so many people have talked about it. Right, Boston Legacy FC, this new NWSL team that was originally Boss Nation, tell us what the biggest lesson was from that big announcement and then saying, Okay, didn't hit the mark the way we hoped.
Speaker 2: Let's try this again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, there are a lot of lessons from that. If I were to pick one, I would say I think that sometimes when you I don't know if you guys have experienced this, when you want to make a big splash and you really want to have super impactful announcement, there's an instinct to sort of keep things close to the vest. And so for us, we certainly we did a lot of testing with the name, We did a lot of analysis, but in hindsight, we should have done more in an effort to sort of keep things confidential, prevent a leak, you know, preserve that sort of splash, And in hindsight, I think we should have prioritized the opposite, which is actually what we did when we switched the team name. And of course we didn't have a leak then, but it was just you know, it was a helpful reminder to all of us in terms of sort of marketing initiatives versus sort of the ultimate goal in terms of fan buying and communication. And I think that it was a good lesson for us. It was a very public, tough lesson, but yeah.
Speaker 1: The idea of like this is going to be so exciting, keep it super secret, don't tell anyone, And then when you revealed it was like, oh no, not what we were hoping for. Maybe if we'd shared it more we would have gotten enough feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we're just yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: And then I think, you know, the too many balls part of the campaign was something that just didn't land. Yep, when you're looking back on it, now, why didn't it land? Why didn't it work for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think there are a lot of reasons, the main one being that it decentered women, and it, especially the first half of that video, which of course is the part that it led with, sort of talked about women's sports as a mirror to men's sports, and that's loud and clear. Nobody wants that that. We don't need to do that, and I think it was, you know, trying to do too much. Honestly, I think that this is also something that can happen with an expansion team, especially before you have players. Is what are you talking about? You're talking about the team and the brand. You don't even have the things that people are most excited to hear about, which are your athletes. And so there's a lot of you know, intentionality, but I think a lot of instinct to just overthink it and do too much. And we learned a hard lesson with that. But also, you know, it was hard. It was really encouraging because the women's sports fans tell you quickly when you mess up, but they also are rooting for you to succeed and if you put in the work and listen and are genuine, what we have felt is, you know, they want you to succeed and they will give you another shot. You better get it right the next chance, and I think we did. But they were really encouraging, from our supporters to our local fans to national fans, and that was a really encouraging thing to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's so true how much weight we put into a name at the beginning and then it just becomes the thing. Yeah, there are so many existing names that you're like, if you like lead right now with Dodgers, like Dodging, what if you lead with Yankees. I'm not going to tell you where my brain goes, but.
Speaker 2: Some stuff right like, Yeah, there's a lot of names that have.
Speaker 1: Just been in our world forever. We don't even think about them anymore. But when you launch now it's ripe for discussion on social media and everybody has a thought about it.
Speaker 2: But I do think also it was such a.
Speaker 1: Nice reminder that or not where we used to be, and that was where we should have been well while ago. Right, admittedly it wasn't super current, but the concept would have nailed it not that long ago.
Speaker 2: But now we are past that.
Speaker 1: It's not about reflecting on where we are compared to men or in opposition to men. It's like we are so established in our own thing now that we don't even need that, which is such a good positive thing. Yeah, and you know, we'll get more into your pivot and your intentionality behind how you did that. But Teresa, speaking of leaks, Okay, you're doing the most intentional branding and name launch. You've got a whole podcast telling people this is what we're thinking, this is why we're not doing, this is why we are doing this, and then the name of your team ends up on a dropdown menu on WNBA dot com by mistake.
Speaker 2: Right, this is the big announce that you're not hoping for.
Speaker 1: So tell us how you handled that and how you just said, Okay, we're going to lean into this and make it work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think you set it up well in the fact that we were really transparent and everything we are trying to do, and we really wanted said women's sports fans have so long wanted to be part of the process. Yeah, So we did a podcast, we talked about all the names that weren't going to work and why, we talked about inclusive design with epic like the whole sphere, and we knew there was always a chance it was gonna leak. So we were ready for that, right And of course you don't want it to happen, but we were ready and I think that was what I was really proud of our team is Ultimately we wanted to be able to launch the same time the merchandise was ready, and that doesn't move right, So we just had to make the decision do we go or do we wait? And we just said, let's just do it, and it was about six weeks before we wanted to. And I literally look back now and I don't know how we could have kept it for six more weeks. Like December fifth was the day the Toronto Tempo was supposed to be born, right, you know, you have kids that come early, like our team just came early. You know, you're never really ready, so whenever it happens, it happens. But we were really excited to share it with the world. We had a launch video already in production, so we were able to fast forward it. It's not the full brand video. You'll see that maybe in a couple of weeks, you know, something to look out for, but we had had that piece, and then we had some licensees we were able to like turn some things so we could at least show the logo and some of the colors and things.
Speaker 4: Like that on that day.
Speaker 5: And then what was great is you know, greatness, like some of the things come out of chaos and crisis, and the fact that we were able to talk twice and then launch our first brand partner, Sephora, and then launch our team name like it just made a great cadence. So I think more than anything, we knew that there are possibility of a leak. It happened and we were ready, and I was really proud of our team for making it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean you had the story and you had the reasoning behind your choice, because you had been so thoughtful throughout about what wasn't going to work and why you went with this.
Speaker 2: I love this tempo logo.
Speaker 1: It looks so cool and like retro to me, but then it becomes timeless because of the retro vibe I loved. Also, we were talking before this about how you try to take and input, but you also recognize that.
Speaker 2: Fans aren't always right.
Speaker 1: Tell everyone the name that would have been the name if you had just gone with the one most suggested by fans.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We ran for the month of August last year for thirty days and name your Team dot caa campaign. So it was basically like any inspiration, it could be about the name, the colors, mask whatever. So you got over ten thousand submissions, over a thousand unique names, and the most submitted name was the Raptors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Cool, so good idea, so interesting. I guess the Raptors really have a strong hold in that city. I feel very responsible for that, having worked for them for eleven years. But I think that just goes to show like you have to go through the process and like there's a reason why, why did the Raptors resonate? Like what can we learn from that? And some other names that were submitted that there was a lot of love for that were never going to work.
Speaker 4: You know, it's trademark that you.
Speaker 5: Said, there's so many names already taken. Just unpacking that a little bit and understanding why there's love for that and like how can we incorporate those learnings into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm glad you didn't choose rapped Hers, which would have been bad.
Speaker 4: A couple of those were submitted as well.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. I'm sure they were.
Speaker 4: Comes from a place of love. Like people are really passionate about these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're really enthusiastic and excited for when you actually begin play. There is so much to talk about when you have players and a coach and a season, but there's still a bit of lead time, both in the and WSL and in the WNBA for you to make it so what you're doing now does have an outsized impact. First impressions matter so much if a legacy team does something that doesn't quite hit you got one hundred years worth of brand affinity that you're like, oh, they'd mess that up, but we're right back with this, or we already love this player, we have nostalgia with them. Everything y'all do now is like outsized impact on telling fans who you are. So how do you plan to capitalize on the first understanding that they have such power?
Speaker 6: Kim, Well, First, I like they ease said legacy get in there a lot of time talking about sports, and you know, I think actually sort of how we think about getting all those first is when we have the word legacy associated with our team, we know that legacies are earned, they're not given. And I think that that applies to how we do every single first with our fans, where we have to earn their respect. There is so much organic enthusiasm, and we felt that very strongly with our name launch and everything that followed. And it's there, it's there. You don't have to do a lot, it's organically there. But you need to give people easy ways to engage with the team and to cheer you on. And so I think when we think about first with our fans, it's all about how can we make it really easy to cheer, for us, to get involved, to put your name on a list, to learn about what we're doing and so and also celebrate together because there's so much to celebrate even before we have players. Once we have players, it will just be another level. But we try to look at and sort of where can we create some fun and excite mintwhere it's already there, we just have to sort of harness it.
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think when you talk about first impressions and first things, like what I'm thinking about is like, internally, how are we celebrating those first So one thing that we did is we're a team of four at the time, and it's like senior leadership and we made, you know, these big goals that we.
Speaker 4: Wanted to achieve.
Speaker 5: We actually like wrote them and grave them on bottles of champagne.
Speaker 4: So then we actually achieve those first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we celebrate it as a team and man when we get to.
Speaker 4: Pop those bottles. But those are earned, Those are earned.
Speaker 5: So just like internally like understanding what an impact that can have, and it kind of there's a lot with a startup with expansion that goes on a lot of fires you're putting out and it's really great to like celebrate and actually take a moment and say, wow, we accomplish this.
Speaker 4: We never thought it was possible.
Speaker 5: So like, internally, that's something that really keeps us motivated, and I think, just like for externally, making sure that our fans are coming along for those first So we're going to have a lot of in person events this summer, so check out look out for Temple Live across Canada, and the fans are gonna be part of that and they're gonna be able to well I'm giving away all the secrets now, but you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, big announcements here.
Speaker 5: But we'll have a big banner that every'll be able to sign that interacts during those events so they can be part of the first as well. We've talked a lot about every single time we do these first so like press conference for our GM is a first, Like how can we also bring other people into it will be the first for them, So like how do we bring a student who's studying journalism become to their first press conference? And like we've been trying to understand and identify these different firsts that can happen along the way it was kind of a fun exercise to go through. It's just one more thing we have to figure out how to actually operationalize. But that thought is there all the time, especially because we represent the WNBA's first foray outside of the US, so everything we do, even if it's been done thirteen times before, is new and different in Canada.
Speaker 1: When you make those decisions too, you sort of set a precedent for who the team is and how they operate. And Kim, I wonder how your rebrand and renaming was considered in light of that, because of course you hear enough feedback and you think, instead of sticking with it and digging in our heels, let's pivot, right.
Speaker 2: We're not going to do that every time people disagree with something you do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes there's great intention or maybe they just don't have an information to know why you're doing it. So how did you consider that precedent setting when you embraced the feedback and pivoted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a huge part of what we discussed internally was what do we want to be as a team. What is true to our values? When we mess that Number one, you own it, you all acknowledge it. But then also how do you react? And as a sports team, we're going to make mistakes, especially when we're moving as quickly as we are as an expansion team. But also it's just life, it's sports. You're going to make mistakes, So how do you respond to those? And while we want to work fast, we also do want to be thoughtful and methodic, and we don't want to be known for being knee jerk, and so we you know, we had lots of people asking for us to say we're going to change the team's name immediately, and we had a lot of internal discussions, but we didn't want to jump to that conclusion, even if you know, individually we might have thought. Of course, that's where we're going to end up. Is let's go through a process. Let's talk to all of the stakeholders we need to talk to, Let's go through some market research, let's do everything, let's do the listening. We're not just going to say we're going to do it. Let's do it, and then we'll make a decision. And I think in the future when that maybe there's something happening on the field with players, maybe there's another business decision with the team. We've set a precedent that we're listening, we hear you, and we are going to be thoughtful and careful about the decision that we make. And I think that that's important. We don't want to create an expectation that we can't sort of live up to again and again and again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I wanted to add to that because what we've found too is, you know, you ask for all this feedback, you can't act on all of it. Yeah, but if you can find ways to act on it, man, the love you get back is so strong. So we put out a thing like, oh, what would you think our mascot would be? Like, that's obviously the next question after I have a team name, what's your mascot? We got all kinds of ideas and there was this one that really really I was confused about. They kept saying like, Rick the Temp should be our mascot. I'm like, what's Rick the Temp? So I guess he was like in Canada, this this like VJ, like MTV VJ back in the day, and he was like started as a temp. Anyways, he has his big persona. So on April Fool's Day we just came we had him. He was like, do you want to do something here. So he came in. We made a little video saying that he was our first internaz and oh my gosh, people love that. I had never heard him. I still don't get it. I didn't grow up there, but it really resonated with this. And then after that we announced like we are having an intern apply, and I think like we got so much love because we listened to what they said. So where we can yeah, and where we ken lean in, we're going to like, we can't do everything that people recommend, but I think if you're open to that. I mean the other thing, we just sent out a survey to all of our ticket holders depositors I should call them and asking them, you know, how much of a fan or whatever, and almost fifty percent of them said that they would love to fit sit in a fan section, which I was really excited about because I like, I go to these soccer games and like I warnt a fan section. So now we're going to prioritize that because they've spoken and we can and that's something that we can actually act on. So gosh, I'm gonna wait all the secrets, Sarah, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I love it. Wait the mascot is going to be flavor Flave's clock though, right. The thing to think.
Speaker 1: About tell us about how your time with the Raptors informs you for this, but also how you're being thoughtful about this being a different space, a different league, a different audience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the thing that I'm most excited about is having been with the Raptors from twenty thirteen to I mean just last year, to see that evolution and to see what worked, Like, now we can just accelerate all those things that worked. Right, So a group of us came in twenty thirteen is like, we need to invest in player development, we needed to invest in player spaces, and we need to raise the exposure of this team. So built a facility, got a G League team, hosted All Star, and we can take all those things.
Speaker 4: It took us about seven, eight nine years.
Speaker 5: I guess the last one there is wine makes a huge difference. It took us eight years to get to the finals and we got a little luck and we won. Like now I know exactly that playbook and we can do those things right away. But I think what you said there that was really important is like what does that look like in the W So what does player development look like in the W versus NBU, What is player environment, practice facilities, you know, capital investment look like in the W versus the versus NBA. And then exposure. Right, So the one thing I'm so excited about is that we are Canada's team. Our name says Toronto Tempo, but we are Canada's teams. We have commercial rights across the country and we truly want to captivate the entire nation. We have the largest market in all of w and it's really a gateway to global expansion for this league and we embrace that and I think it's just gonna It's going to and has impacted the way we look at the business and how we position this team, and it's something that no other team has ever had the opportunity to do. You know, the Raptors joined the league at the same time as the Grizzlies. There was the Blue Jays and the expos So it's really this really unique opportunity and like you said, it's the first it's ever been done before, so we're probably not going to get it exactly right. But what I'm excited about is all opportunity that is there.
Speaker 1: So much opportunity to be Canada's team while also living up to the great traditions and enthusiasm of Toronto, which I love Toronto. I've been going the last couple of years for the espnW seven in Canada and it is a blast. Are there challenges because of the Canada US tension right now? Are you feeling any of that as you're getting started?
Speaker 4: I think we're all feeling it.
Speaker 5: I mean the world that we live in today, it's part of the society that we exist within. Within Canada, there's a ton of national pride, very strong Canadians, and I think, more than anything's for this is a unifying force. Right now, the Maple Leafs are in a series against the Ottawa Senators. They call it the Battle of Ontario. The great thing about Tempo is the entire country can rally around us. So I think, more than anything, it just shows that sports are great unifiers and I'm really excited. Like you said, Toronto is I hadn't spent any time there until I moved there. Like literally, i had never been there until the day I moved there twelve years ago, and I'm sitting here as a Canadian citizen. So like to say It's been an incredible city. I can't wait to welcome the world. Like talking, I went to the Final Four, I went to All Star in Phoenix last year, and just talking to the people around women's sports, around women's basketball, you know, not a lot of them had been to Toronto. Right in the NBA, you know, when I got there, the Raptors had existed for twenty years already, So a lot of people have come just as a visitor for visiting games and things like that, but there's not a lot of people. So we're so excited to welcome people to Toronto and all of Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Chicago of the North.
Speaker 1: And as we all know, Chicago is the best city in the world, so.
Speaker 2: Toronto's a close second. Kim. I want to hear about the stadium project.
Speaker 1: This is a huge part of Boston legacy, this public private partnership. Like you were part of the paw Talcket Red Sox Stadium development, so you're bringing a lot of knowledge about that. But this is a very unique situation, this white stadium at Franklin Park that you're going to inhabit.
Speaker 2: So what's the latest on that.
Speaker 1: We've heard a lot of headlines, But what's the latest and how are you moving forward?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're so excited about this, and I think that we've already seen with Denver's team announcing what they're going to do. This is going to become the norm. I think, whether it's public private partnership, or not having your own venue or at least a venue where you are the primary sports team is so important and unlocks so much potential for a team, and so we're thrilled. Through this partnership with the City of Boston, we're going to have a beautiful stadium that's right downtown in Boston, adjacent to a park setting. It's gorgeous but still right in the city, and Boston Public school students are also going to have access to it when we're not playing games, So it fits with a lot of our values. But also as a business, it allows us to make decisions about ticketing and sponsorships and controlling the fan experience and the player experience in a way that I think will elevate sort of the game. And you're seeing it both with investment in training facilities, but I think now also in your home venues for your games. So we're really excited Public private partnerships are tricky.
Speaker 4: They take a lot.
Speaker 6: They are you know, in the public spotlight. For us, we have a mayoral election this year, so we're also caught up in that. So they're a lot, but they're worth it. And I did get to see. I did the whole ring around in Rhode Island with Larry Lukeino with the Triple A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, and we couldn't get it done because of politics. So we moved up to Worcestern, Massachusetts. You said it right, by the way, yes, and we built Polar Park, which is a jewel of a ballpark. And one of the things I'm most proud of is when we did that, you bring the public along with you, and you bring the elected officials and you know, all of your neighbors with you. And what I'm most proud of from that is that we kept every single promise that we made to the community, and the things that we believed were going to come true in terms of development and sort of you know, enriching this community happened. And so one of the things that I'm really excited about what we're doing in Boston is that there's skepticism but we're starting to deliver on what we promise and through our actions, people will see that we really mean what we're saying in terms of fifty percent mwbe hiring, in terms of you know, having women run the show here, it's we're doing it, and I really like to get to be on the inside to make sure that we're doing that. And demolition is underway. You know, we've had some bumps. These things aren't easy, but demolition is well underwell. See, yeah, we're so excited. The design part is the most fun. We're in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: So it's awesome.
Speaker 6: Now WEB means minority and women business enterprises, Okay, so that way we're having diverse local participation in the contracts for our stadium all super important to us.
Speaker 1: It is incredibly important to be in charge of your own facility, and that's something we've seen especially across the NWSL. For years, we were always like, when's the schedule coming out? When's the schedule coming out? It was always delayed because it was like we're third in line to whatever, and so it's huge to have that. And then I think also like people have really underestimated the impact that taxpayer funds toward men's stadiums have had on the sports industrial.
Speaker 2: Complex at large.
Speaker 1: Men have been constantly benefiting from it, being politically savvy to endorse and support your teams and lift them up, and on the women's there's just never been an opportunity to take advantage of that. So when it works out and when you keep your promises, it's such a great opportunity. Want to quickly ask you first team without a draft? Yeah, for those who don't know, the first major professional league in the US to abolish the draft. You got to really align your culture with your sporting side. You hired the former head of Barco women, Go magaushou. I had on my show Good Game with Sarah Spain and we talked about how he's got to sell the team the same way.
Speaker 2: You know, you're kind of almost recruiting like a college. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean it's a challenge. I think long term for the leader, there's dome, there's domain.
Speaker 4: He's the best he is, he really is.
Speaker 6: You know, it's great because it brings the NWSL on par with the international game. So it's a really wonderful thing. And what it means for US is sports and business sides have to be really closely aligned, and we're recruiting from the very beginning. We're not drafting anybody, and we're recruiting, So that goes to hiring our first GM. What are we signaling to players in terms of who is trying to bring them in. Having someone with international player knowledge and who has experience building a team without anything like a draft is critical. Also thinking about Boston and how do you sell players on the idea of playing in this amazing sports city That one's not too much of a lift, thankfully, but it you know, that's a huge part of it. And then also facilities, training, facility, player experience, what the stadium will be like. You know, we are recruiting players and that's really a key part of our business initiatives right now, which you know, I think it's awesome to see the players empowered in that way, and hopefully it also means that when they come to our club, we're really well aligned.
Speaker 1: Everyone has to step up their game INNWSL, which is awesome. You've got to get players to want to choose you instead of well, I'm stuck in fill in the blank city.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say because I don't know where y'all are from you might be mad at me about it. Okay, we're almost out of time here.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you both the last thing about celebrity ownership, because Teresa Serena Williams joins Toronto Tempo ownership. She's got a hometown team in the Sparks, and she was like, nah, let me go to Toronto.
Speaker 2: How to just score that and how is she going to be involved?
Speaker 5: Incredible to have one of like the greatest of all time to be associate with your brand.
Speaker 4: She has been very public.
Speaker 5: You guys have been following. She's been very publican supporting women's sports. She said very publicly she wanted to be part of WNBA ownership. She had conversation with commissioner. You know, ownership isn't a way available like the Sparks. I don't know if they have any minority. I don't know if they have anybody that they're actually putting on their board. But as a new team, we do. And she has a great affinity for Toronto. She loves Tromp's been great to actually get to know her and hear some of her stories about her time there and how much she actually connects to it and she's really passionate about elevating women's sports in general.
Speaker 4: So we're excited.
Speaker 5: She's a busy lady, so or not like she's not going to be there every day, but we do look forward to leaning into the areas that she has passionate about. We announced another owner yesterday, actually a great Canadian business woman's Kinderson Cassidy. And we'll have another owner announcement in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned and we'll be filling out the board. And I think more than anything, the amount of strategic value that these women are adding is incredible and I'm so excited that we can find space for women at the table.
Speaker 4: It's really important, super important.
Speaker 2: Are you selling that fit that she's wearing? Because I want it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And while I look like that, I love this is also important to the equation.
Speaker 1: Elizabeth turn down the chance to be a part of Angel City Ownership, but join the ownership for Boston Legacy. What does your ownership table look like? Are we going to have some more celebs announced?
Speaker 2: Just like Teresa said, we will.
Speaker 6: We'll have a few more announced right here?
Speaker 2: No, no, okay.
Speaker 6: But we you know we have a few more coming. And what I'll say about our cap table is we have people who are passionate about Boston and about the team. We're so lucky to have Monarch Collective as one of our big investors, and they've been great, and one of the things they've advised is, you know, if you're bringing in celebrities, you want people who are engaged.
Speaker 2: We're going to show up to.
Speaker 6: Games or dedicate some of their expertise, whatever it is, to what you're doing. And so far, that's what we've got and it makes us a more well rounded organization. And Elizabeth obviously brings amazing wisdom to the club. But we've got two former pro sports gms on our cap table. We've got entrepreneurs from the tech and VC world. We have Celtics ownership like we've got a lot of dynamic owners And when I know, I'm Jessica Berman often says this about the NWSL owners is they are involved to a higher degree than I think owners and other leagues. I don't know about the w maybe it's the same, but these owners are involved and where they have expertise, we'll take them up on it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Teresa, thanks for giving us some secrets. Kim, thanks for keeping yours close to your best. We're going to hopefully be learning more and more about both your teams as we approach that first kickoff day.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Big round of applause for Teresa and Kim. It was awesome to talk to Teresa and Kim. I love how many times Teresa was like, oh, I'm giving away our secrets.
Speaker 2: Keep doing it, keep doing it.
Speaker 1: We love hearing the process behind creating these firsts and getting ready for these inaugural seasons. So keep spilling the beans, Teresa. All right, we got to take another break when we come back. Blame Canada, Welcome back Slices. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Check out those WNBA preseason games tonight with the free League Pass preview and worth noting WNBA League Pass is just thirty five dollars a year. That is a steal and if you live in the Bay. By the way, there are still some very reasonably priced tickets available for tonight's Valkyrie's preseason opener.
Speaker 2: Just saying we'll link to where you can snag some in our show notes if you want to check it out.
Speaker 1: We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email. Good game at wondermedianetwork dot com.
Speaker 2: Keep sending us those questions.
Speaker 1: As we get ready for the WNBA season, We're going to be doing some big previews. Some of you have sent in some great WNBA related questions.
Speaker 2: Keep them coming.
Speaker 1: We'll be sure to answer them before the season starts. And don't forget to subscribe a rate and review. It's easy. Watch the PWHL expansion map SNAFFU rating F minus. To paraphrase Billy Madison, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever seen. At no point in this incoherent graphic were you even close to anything that could be considered correct. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having seen it. I award you no points and make God have mercy on your soul. Review yesterday we mentioned the exciting news a PWHL expansion adding teams in Vancouver and Seattle beginning next season. Only problem a PWHL released graphic that read eight teams for Canadian for American. Above a map of all the teams incorrectly identified the location of each and every team and city on the map.
Speaker 2: In fact, the.
Speaker 1: Boston Fleet are the only teams shown in the US, though their location dot is in Maine, the Minnesota Frost are in Ontario, Seattle is shown in.
Speaker 2: British Columbia, and New York is in Quebec.
Speaker 1: All the Canadian teams are shown in Canada, which is a start, but none of their location dots are in the correct spot either, So it seems like whoever made the graphic might have adjusted or resized the map part without similarly adjusting the correspond overlay graphic of cities. But it also seems like they should have noticed that before hitting publish, so let's hope quality control is a little more buttoned up when it comes time to book hotels and flights. We'll link to that map in our show notes. Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, y'all, see you tomorrow. Good game, Kim, Good game, Teresa Hugh geography. We'll put Boston wherever the hell we want. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain