Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Higheart Radio scandh Katie.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, we have the greatest guest on today's episode. Hey, Kelly, I feel like you come on to Scandal and you are such a star, like a seen stealing shiny beacon of stunningness.
Speaker 1: Black leather jacket, wearing hair up like Lang, no way, helmet Lang.
Speaker 3: Forgetting it, won't get it because I knew I was that my fate would change when I came back as the character. When they had me in All Saints, it was like last time they had me in Helmet Lang.
Speaker 4: I was like, that is so funny, that is amazing.
Speaker 2: So for those of you listening who don't know her by voice, you should or whatever social media picture we put out. But the guest today is the one and only Kelly McCreary. Yes, who was on season three of Scanne or did you start in season two?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 1: She started in episode Yolo, which is yes, yeah, that's when we first see Claire.
Speaker 4: You played Claire.
Speaker 3: She played Claire bad Ass Claire Badass B.
Speaker 2: Six thirteen agent who calls Harrison h and works for Maya pope. But wait a second, first and foremost, was this your first foray Intoshondaland it was.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: So I had a meeting with Lynda Lowe just like a general a couple of months before that. Yeah, And so like when this audition came in, it was in the midst of like episodic season when that was a thing, So it was like really busy, and this was just like a couple of little lines, and I was like, oh, I want to play. I want to do more than this on Scandal. I should wait until like better role comes along. And then I was like, no, but Linda and I had such a great rapport that I should just say yes to this opportunity. And I went in to just read my little two little lines, and it turned out that the scene I was reading was not the scene I actually did in that first episode Yolo in the first place, because they always had dummy sides, right, and then after that, you know, it was intended only to be a single episode, but then came back and did another one.
Speaker 2: So when you audition, did you know that it would recur or you didn't even think it was that.
Speaker 5: No, it was not supposed to recur.
Speaker 4: Wha, that's how good you did.
Speaker 2: She was, wait, so like you even when you were shooting it, like you didn't know that it was going to come back another episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you know I went to college with Ramlah Muhammad.
Speaker 4: You did.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that this episode with Chris Vans, Yes.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. And ram La was on set that day and I was like, oh, yead hey girl.
Speaker 5: I had no idea that she was even writing. I had no idea why I.
Speaker 3: Lost track of each other after college. And so we're catching up and it's great and she's like, well bye. When I was I was like, so good to.
Speaker 5: See you bye.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, it turned out that I guess like I passed a vibe check or something, and she was able to confirm for Shonda that I wasn't going to cause them problems, and I came back for another episode. Ushanda reached out to her to find out it was worth bring me back, and so she vou.
Speaker 5: Like, no assholelog.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did say bad, but yes, I guess I literally causing no asshole policy.
Speaker 3: That was really good?
Speaker 2: Were you when you came on the Scandal set? Had you watched Scandal before or you had never seen it or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, of course. Yeah, I remember sitting in my New York apartment because it came on late mid season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was April.
Speaker 2: Was the starting date April, which is so late for even a mid season show.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I remember sitting on my brown sofa in my New York apartment and watching with my roommate at the time. Like, I remember watching those early episodes and being like, oh my god, this is so cool and exciting and flashy and sexy and glamorous and elegant and so fun. I watched it in the very beginning, and then I fell off for some reason. Oh I was like living in Vancouver shooting a show or something, so I was gonna watch TV. But yeah, I was just going.
Speaker 4: To say, were you a fan of Grays as well early days?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was an early fan of Grace. I went through a very long period of I hope when I was saw one of those people, Oh I don't really watch TV, but like I really.
Speaker 5: Knew I did too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went through a period where two of my apartments didn't even have a television, and I don't think yeah, and I don't think I could have for a laptop I literally have like a good four year span where I never watched a show like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this was like before streaming, before binginging for me, like I'm dating myself here, but this was back when you like had to be home to watch TV and I lived in New York. I was running them streets now.
Speaker 2: So when you found out your dummy size or dummy size, then you find out, holy shit, I'm gonna come on and I'm gonna have scenes with Harrison, Like had you ever worked with him before?
Speaker 5: Did you know what that was going to be like?
Speaker 2: Were you nervous walking on a set or were you like, oh, I'm so pro with this or what was the vibe for you?
Speaker 3: When I tell you it was like an out of body experience. I had just shot my first series as a series regular. I'd wrapped it earlier that year, so I was not completely inexperienced. I knew how to be on set, I knew how things went, I knew how to I certainly felt capable as an actor. But something about being on this set because it was like, I mean, you guys, no, Seattle was such a big deal at the time, and it was just like, yeah, it was such.
Speaker 5: A big deal, and I was like, wait, it's so like normal here.
Speaker 3: And I don't know what I was expecting, but like I was just waiting for something like jump out at me. I don't know what I was thinking, but I was so nervous, pretty sure. I was like, very sweaty.
Speaker 4: Under that helmet lang leather jacket.
Speaker 2: You didn't look at it, so did you when you walk down set where you like.
Speaker 3: Oh god. And then Columbus was there and I was like, oh my god, he's so handsome, like even more handsome person.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I just but again, everybody was so just this is just a normal, everyday work day. So I was like, okay, it was so fast, and but of course that's always a good thing when you're a guest star. They don't have to do take after take for you because you're nervous.
Speaker 1: And you're sitting waiting for them to get to your ceety.
Speaker 5: Oh god, I've done that.
Speaker 4: That's the worst. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What sucks is that we didn't even get to work with you, Kelly, Like no, in fact, that's the only problem.
Speaker 3: I worked only the Columbus was the only series Eary where I worked with I worked with Candy Alexandelas and Nasmy and Bonati and on the other day that I or the other episodes I shot, I did the two and so.
Speaker 5: I never worked with Billy anything. I'm like, is that true?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we can you tell us before we break down the episode real quick? Can you tell us how the whole because I vaguely remember the whisperings starting of like how you got Gray's Scandal? Like how did this all unfold? Tell us how this hasn't okay? My the narrative, like the story arc. From my perspective, it looked like this. I had the meeting with the general with Linda. She brought me in for the small part on Scandal. She that turned into a a.
Speaker 3: Small recurring and then she brought me in for a pilot that I wound up shooting a role on, not the role I originally went in for, but that pilot got picked up. It was Peter Horton, who was the oh wows the director Anatomy, Yeah, and an early ep on Grey's Anatomy, and he it was a project of his and oh my god, I feel so bad. Let me tell you something that I had the time of my life shooting that in Boston in the dead of winter. I was so excited about that show. And then this Gray's Anatomy Park came out, which when they put out the breakdown for it.
Speaker 5: It was it might have been a guest star, but I knew.
Speaker 3: I knew it was recurring. I knew it was going to recur, and so I went in for it. And then I booked that and I was like, cool, got this this recurring role on this pilot. I got this recurring role on Grays. Although I knew that the offer was coming in the firm Grays, my manager and Linda had been in communication. They were like, it's you. You're have to pick, You're to pick. I didn't get this contract, y'all. I was supposed to shoot on a Friday. I finally got the contract on Wednesday night at nine pm, and the contract was for a serious A series regular option and I was like, excuse me, and I didn't know what to do. And I was like, but I want to do this other show, and I did not know what to do. I have no time to make the decision. And I was like, I'm gonna kiss somebody off, like no matter.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Grays, Yeah, you know what, Grays are going to be there for like thirty eight years.
Speaker 4: This is for sure going to go listen.
Speaker 3: I did not know that because you guys at the time, Grays had been on the air for ten seasons already.
Speaker 2: Which so you were like that if I do the Grays thing and it turned into a series regular, then maybe it's just gonna be the last year of Grays and then I'm gonna miss that might just be starting your journey. And so maybe all of a sudden yeah yeah, kindsight of twenty twenty, you didn't know that Grays was going to be going.
Speaker 5: For twenty twenty ten.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I had no idea, So I just I didn't. I was like, oh, okay, great, and so that's pretty much I made the decision. And then like within gosh, five or six episodes of the following season, because I appeared at the end of season ten, like and that last two episodes of season ten went back to recur at the beginning of season eleven, and I think within five or six episodes, Shonda called and promoted me the series regular.
Speaker 1: So, oh man, what happened with the other show? Then it just it didn't even make it to air.
Speaker 3: It did one season. It shot in New York City, what I understand was the coldest winter up to that day.
Speaker 5: That sounds brutal.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what was the name of it because it was a different name than what.
Speaker 5: We was damage control?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And then how many years did you do on Grades nine?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, my lord?
Speaker 5: Have wow that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is this true, Kelly?
Speaker 1: That you went to the powers that be and asked, respectfully to that you wanted to move on and ye done with the show. That's when you know you've been on the show a long last time when you're like, I think to move on.
Speaker 2: Sandra did that too on the show, right, like she does so amazing. That's just an amazing Yeah. Like artistically or however.
Speaker 5: Whatever reactly personal or professionally. You know, you're just like, I'm wanted to move on, move on or whatever.
Speaker 3: I think that. Look the Sandra has done. Numerous actors on the on the show have done it. I think that nobody expects any actors job to last like a year, let alone, you know, five, let alone nine. I got that job at my thirties, so I had.
Speaker 5: Up to the unbelievable. I don't even understand what's going on. Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Right up to prior to that, I had been like a journey woman actor and I'd played lots of different roles and been in a lot of places. And then I played Maggie Peers for nine years, which was absolutely incredible. And do I think that Maggie Peers may still have some stories left to tell? Absolutely, Like it's not like there was nothing else to do or say in the role, but it was just time for me creatively to like get back on my horse. And also I'm in a different place in life and like just things have changed, and I thought, I think that I need some space from this to figure out what the next step is and to build up the rest Knockwood, the rest of my career.
Speaker 5: To build it out with this incredible foundation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can remember when Scandal was ending, Like Jeff Perry said something to the extent of, like, it's incredible if you can land an acting job in any way that is secure or consistent for so many reasons, you know, mentally, financially like all of those things, but inherently, like being an actor is so nomadic, and what's exciting about being an actor is playing lots of different things overall a period of time. And so he would say that when we were like getting bummed that scandal was ending at year seven, because I think he was like, yes, it's sad, but also we have to be excited about the journeymanute being a journey actor like to play different parts and whether you know you make that decision for yourself or your show is ending after a really long run, which you're so lucky to get, there's something creatively about playing different parts.
Speaker 5: That's what's big about the job.
Speaker 3: For sure. I think that's what we all signed up for. And like I said, like it's incredible, Like gosh, Ellen has been playing Merreth Gray for over twenty years and that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Imagine playing the same character.
Speaker 3: You're going through changes in your life and the character comes along with you, and they inform that.
Speaker 5: I'm like, that is unheard of.
Speaker 1: When you they keep adding those zeros, they keep adding those zeros.
Speaker 4: That's what makes it possible. Let's be real in this piece, I'll.
Speaker 5: Tell you that's what makes it impossible.
Speaker 4: To impossible to leave exactly.
Speaker 1: I love how all our lives crossed paths while we were doing press for our shows. You started doing a ton of for the upfront and the TCAs, and we'd see Kelly at all these events, and we all just had this mutual like shondaland love for each other because we were fans of your show, You're fans of our show, and it was just so it was so wonderful seeing you out and chilling with you and hanging out.
Speaker 4: That was always it.
Speaker 5: I love the show. I loved you on the show. I loved you on Scandal.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back, guys.
Speaker 3: I do think that I got to join this show at such a special time because the year that I started on the show was the same year that How To Get Away started, and so that was the first year of TGIT, so where I was boarding this moving train all by myself. By the way, because a lot of people have come on to the show along with other characters, I came alone, you know. I became a series regular on great Or. Katerina became a series reg go on Grays the same time, but she had already existed in.
Speaker 5: The unifors and been backed and she got.
Speaker 3: On Private Practice, so she was definitely knew at the same time as me and the grades, but she was not new to the universe or I still felt like I was charting new territory on my own. And but it was like there was so much celebration around the TGIT stuff. There was so much community building between the three shows, and it was like, oh my god, I just am so grateful that I was able to come on at that time because I felt low. I was like, I got to Gray's and everybody was wonderful and very welcoming and interested in engaging with me and helping to develop Maggie and everything like that. It was awesome. But at the same time, they're like grown ass people with lots.
Speaker 4: Of kids, you know in the show for a minute. Yeah, yeah, And I was.
Speaker 3: Just like nuw to la and nude to the this part of the scene and stuff. And it was so fun to be able to like have that celebratory party vibe provided by our like shared TGI T experience. I mean, big deal.
Speaker 2: That put her in that That put Shanda in the like the dick Wolf category. You don't get full nights of TV and you have multiple shows.
Speaker 5: Happening at one time.
Speaker 2: Somebody better pluck this girl yes into their show, because not only are you you're such a beauty and so stunning, but like your acting is so good.
Speaker 5: It's like it just seems so trained.
Speaker 2: So I'm so relaxed, like I'm just so oh my god, she can do anything, like she's got it all.
Speaker 5: Like it's just like.
Speaker 2: I can't even believe you were on scan. Like it was like, no, this girl is like a fucking star. Get her out of hereever be the lead of her thing. Obviously Shanda and was watching and was like, oh no, she's mine anywhere.
Speaker 3: Thank you you guys, No, thank you so much. I do I have to say, listen, there's definitely footage of me on the internet, possibly on television to this day, on my very first on screen acting job. I'm not going to name it. I don't want to searching for it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to google it right now, Kelly, I had to.
Speaker 3: I learned a lot on the job because I worked really hard and I learned as I went. So much of this is timing, and I happened to be like really blossoming into my confident at the same time that I was bossing into my abilities at the same time that you know, I was ready to come to LA And so it was, you know, after being in New York for so long, So.
Speaker 4: Are you a native New Yorker?
Speaker 3: I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and I went to college in New York and State for a long time, and that was sort of my home base. So I did like a lot of regional theater and a little out bad Way and one Broadway show. But like I was just you know, journey Woman, a little bit of guest starring here and there, founding the pavement that was my training ground. And so yeah, I do I thank you for saying all of that. And I do feel like it was just a lot of manifesting timing, like being in the right place at the right time. And I do think also that Linda Lowe was a not a guardian angel what do you call it, like a fairy godmother, Like she just kept creating, kept like she she kept.
Speaker 2: Opening the door for you and putting you in the place. But it was you you got there that could like keep. And I had really similar Shanna used to say to me, like, oh, where did you just come from? Like overnight is Quinn And I was like I tested for all three doctors of Off the Map last year.
Speaker 4: With you in there.
Speaker 2: Because the Cat's bringing me, shoving me like in front of her face because she knew at some point it might line up. And did you say Linda was the person who cast the other pilot that you were shooting Boston?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. She was such a champion. She was like, I'm going to get this girl a job and she did.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, she is the fucking best.
Speaker 3: Okay she is.
Speaker 2: This is sadly the episode where your amazing character dies, but we don't have to be sad because you went on to have a nine year.
Speaker 6: Run worked out okay, And it was called although I never wore any helmet laying on Gray's Anatomy, Yeah, damn it.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: This is episode three sixteen, which was called The Fluffer. We'll get into that in a second. It aired on April third and twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: And it was written by Chris Van Duson and Ramaala Mohammad and it was directed by the jhos Wark.
Speaker 2: The episode was starring John Tenny As, Andrew Nichols, Tom and Mandy's and Samuel Ruston. Candy Alexander Is, Maya Lewis, Paul Eedelstein is Leo Bergen.
Speaker 1: Brenda Strong is Joan rest In, Sebastian Rochet is Dominic Bell, and Kelly McCreary is Claire Tucker Kelly and then to.
Speaker 2: Just rack everyone's brains, including our own, of what the hell this episode was about. As Olivia tries to get the truth from her father, the White House deals with a major press issue. Janine Locke is back with a tell all book about her affair with fits. Since Olivia took a day off, both Cyrus and Fitch ignor her advice and try to solve the problem for themselves.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Quinn Charlie track down Maya Pope is Hockey is about to shut down B six thirteen thanks to a little spy work from Olivia, but everything goes belly up on both Maya and Jake know that Olivia has been intervening.
Speaker 2: Okay, we usually go were you able to watch the episode, It's totally okay. If you didn't, I did.
Speaker 5: I watched it last year, which was okay.
Speaker 2: So ten years ago you look exactly the same, so congratulations on that. Let's just go through each of us like favorite highlight moments. We'd like to say the Kerry Washington school of acting, where you're just like holy shit, that person's acting was crazy.
Speaker 5: Or Shonda Rhymes school of writing was like the best writing ever.
Speaker 2: I couldn't get over Mine is a different category. A. I thought Andrew Nichols is sporting a black guy the whole time, and I thought it looked terrible. Really, he's the guy running on the ticket with VI and in the episode before, Fitz punches him in the face because he finds out that he and Melly are having an affair there love with each other, so he punches him. So this whole episode he has to sport this black guy that's healing.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know. I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what are you talking about? Black guys did not look good?
Speaker 5: Sorry, I love you. Scandal makeup.
Speaker 4: They were to be real subtle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were really subtle.
Speaker 2: My favorite line is when the Janine block book comes out and the whole press releases or the press is all asking.
Speaker 5: Him does he have a breadstick or a begette.
Speaker 3: It's definitely I thought that they were like gonna cut away right before she said it or something.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh no, no.
Speaker 2: More times, I'm like, this is the luckiest dog in all of TV.
Speaker 5: Like you for all this time.
Speaker 2: You just have the writers making you like the swaggiest, coolest hung dude.
Speaker 5: It's like he can do no wrong, he can do no wrong. Like it's insane. Did anyone have your favorite parts? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I loved this scene where Olivia flex is on the VP. That was so good. That was such a great scene where she's like, you got two choices, and then I just loved like it was just quintessential scandal because it was like, here goes the power flex Here comes the moral ambiguity, here comes the how is she going to leverage her power to still win in this situation without just like telling somebody what to do, but like actually making making it so that they really don't have a choice. Was so gangster. I I that was such a great scene. It was so good.
Speaker 5: It's so sad, Fitz says to Olivia.
Speaker 4: She says, what do you want?
Speaker 5: What do you want?
Speaker 2: He says, have Andrew Nichols stop sleeping with my wife.
Speaker 4: Stop screw Oh it's horrible.
Speaker 2: And then she goes and gives Andrew Nichols and ultimatum, like Kelly said, you have two choices. Either you can run for president, run for vice president, or you can continue being in love with Melly, but I'm going to make your life a living hell and we're going to destroy your entire reputation. Your career will be over, you'll be run out of DC.
Speaker 3: It's a class and then Mellie won't want you anyway.
Speaker 4: So exactly, yeah, right, once you're.
Speaker 2: Enoughing politically, Mellie's not going to want you. So what do you want to be vice president for four years? Or do you want to fuck Melly for a month? What's your yeahs? Basically, don't make me take out my big stick. And so it's astral.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite scenes, like top top favorite scene in this in this episode is when Jake is outside of Live's door and he's please let me in. I'm drunk, and she's like no, and then she has this line that I freaking love. She says, I would never kill your friends because Jake had killed James. At that point, she's so heartbroken and sad and just on the other side of the door.
Speaker 4: And then at the end of that.
Speaker 1: Scene, he says to her, I asked you to save me and you said no. I mean, I'm sure she had walked away from the door already. Oh, it's so sad to see Jake so vulnerable. Olivia, I need you to save me, and she basically was like, no, go home, get out of here.
Speaker 4: That's such a heart wrenching scene. So good.
Speaker 2: Also in this episode, Jake and Live hook up again in Bone they go to Bone Town and the whole time I was thinking, she's super pregnant and how was she?
Speaker 4: Yes, she was. I don't remember. In this episode, I.
Speaker 2: Had to do a sex scene while pregnant. I can't even imagine how like uncomfortable that is. Have you had to do that, Kelly, Like, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 5: No, I remember doing like a little snog.
Speaker 3: I was like my body, get off of me in the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: I feel like when we had Scott on he might have even talked about it to you where he was like they were like can you roll over?
Speaker 4: Yes, it was choreographs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I can. He was like I can't. I mean, she was like very pregnant at this point. They made it look great. It was a lot of quick.
Speaker 1: Cuts and I was gonna say I even wrote down and notes that this was the hottest sex between Living Live and Jake, Like this scene and maybe it was because it was edited so beautifully and when it was just quick and hot, and you knew that Olivia was up to no good because she's trying to get something from Jake and.
Speaker 5: She brings she takes advantage of him.
Speaker 2: She's like snugging on his chest and for the first time vulnerable and he falls asleep, and then she steals his phone, brings the phone into o PA sad.
Speaker 5: It's so sad. We will be back with more after the break.
Speaker 2: My ultimate favorite part of the episode is when Melly goes up to Andrew Nichols and is like, do you want to meet for a little fun time for a couple hours and he's no, sorry, if it's I'm not ever doing that again, you sort of thing. And then she just marches into the Oval office and there's a million people in there. She fucking bitch slaps Fits so hard across the face and only like Melly in her in her.
Speaker 5: Death rattle voice is like to take everything from there.
Speaker 3: That was a great moment. I had to say. I was like, I haven't watched the show. First of all, I can't believe you guys have been off the air for six years. It feels like it was just yesterday, but yeah, crazy weird. So I haven't watched the show since it was on the air. I was like, oh my god, there's time the casual violence that was such an int Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Somebody's throwing live up against a wall.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. I was like, oh my, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: This is very ten PM or whatever. It was very violent.
Speaker 2: They that always just a shock Shonda, because you would say, like standards and practices has so many issues going through what's allowed to be aired on the network show.
Speaker 5: They had so many issues with some.
Speaker 2: Sexual stuff, abortion stuff, this that, But like the guns and the violence was like willing.
Speaker 4: Like fine, yeah you could pull her out, Well.
Speaker 5: You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Was gruesome, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Talk about how did you think you did, Kelly, How did you think your acting was? I think you were amazing, But like I thought Quinn was red. There was one part where Twinn runs in out of the their surveillance Herman Hawker, her and Charlie are doing surveillance fan on Maya Pope and then all of a sudden, B six thirteen gets shut down. Hawk hacks into B six thirteen and Olivia says shut it down, and he shuts down all of Thesic thirteen and I jump out of the van and I run with a gun into the hotel room, and my god, my acting was bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was pretty bad. Did you have it pretty bad?
Speaker 5: What did you think? What did you have?
Speaker 1: I think there was some corny moments in this episode. That that scene where Huck is like, I can shut it down live, I can do it right now if you want me to, and she takes the moment she's like, shut it down. It was a bit over dramatic and a bit of camp, but it was still fun. And then I still am blown away by the I think even on set, I had an issue with Jake coming up to Olivia and grabbing her by the necond, pushing her up against the wall.
Speaker 4: I was like, Huck would have like murdered.
Speaker 1: Him, but you know, her thing is gone. He's pointing his gun at Hucks, So I get that. It was such a It was such.
Speaker 5: An odd why he does that. I don't like either either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't love it.
Speaker 4: Listen, it was in the script doing that. Yeah, the script.
Speaker 5: You guys never challenge the script.
Speaker 2: No, I think other actors did on Scandal, but I definitely didn't g did you No.
Speaker 1: I think there might have been a moment where I said something like, what, I don't understand you. I don't know, but I didn't. I didn't challenge it hard like other actors too.
Speaker 4: We listen.
Speaker 1: I was afraid I was going to get booted off the show just for you know, just because they were done with Hucks.
Speaker 4: So I didn't want to. I didn't want to make any sudden movements.
Speaker 2: I also think after Grey's Anatomy, Sean knew like she had this rule that was like, I guess we followed it, but I bet like Kerry and Tony would talk to her about stuff, but she would say, Okay, after a table read, you have twenty four hours you send me an email.
Speaker 5: Oh you did, okay?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for hours to send an email if you wanted a change or something like that. If I agree with the change, you'll see it in a rewrite. But if I don't agree with the change, you'll just never hear from me.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: One of my other favorite things in this episode, You Guys, is went at the top of the show when Abby walks into the White House and she's wearing the White coat, holding a purse at the edge of her wrist, real freaking professional and ready to go and take over for Olivia Pope and they are just not having.
Speaker 3: Her walk out of the room on her I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, wow, Abby is not Olivia Pope.
Speaker 5: We do not accept her by proxy on this campaign trail. Goodbye.
Speaker 1: And this is the first time that Cyrus calls Abby Gabby and she keeps correcting him. He's yeah, okay, Gabby, okay.
Speaker 2: So Kelly, do you watch yourself work? Do you watch your acting as a rule? Do you have rules about that? And how was it watching yourself last night?
Speaker 5: I watched myself at the beginning of stuff, right, So see what sort of tweaking and fine tuning is what I'm trying to do?
Speaker 3: Reading?
Speaker 5: What can I do more of? What do I need to do?
Speaker 3: Less of? What habits am I falling into that I'm not aware of? And then I cannot watch myself anymore? Like I didn't watch it the last I can't say how much of Grades I didn't watch, but it was a lot. I can't do it. But watching myself last night on Scandal, I was like, oh, wow.
Speaker 1: You're so sexy, You're so good in it. And the fact that Claire calls Harrison h It's such a double O seven like moment. It's very that, right. I just love that she calls him h It's so it's so sexy, it's so great.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 5: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: It was like that. But Claire was only that one scene. The character only existed in that one scene. But her calling him hyeah tells you so exactly. Yes, Yes, that.
Speaker 5: Little rehearsal of writing was just like so youngy.
Speaker 3: So I was like, oh, there's history, there's mysteries, like there's something here, and so it was really fun to lean into that. I certainly don't think of myself as like a mysterious person.
Speaker 5: I'm working with Candy Alexander.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. First of all, she is so cool, but she's sexy and fabulous and talk about confidence, she's like dripping with it. And after one I don't know if it was a rehearsal or a take. Speaking of habits, I like default to like a quirky behavior. I think it was.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it.
Speaker 3: Was in like a rehearsal or if we were shooting and it was on coverage or something. But I like made this like kind of face, like she was staring at me in a very intimidating way, and the appropriate reaction for this character would have been to, like, I pretend like I was staring down back at her, right because I was trying to be her equal, and I did something weird.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it was, but she no, she and she was like, she literally was like, you're so weird.
Speaker 3: Weird weirdo.
Speaker 1: That is so did you know I'm a huge fan of Candy. I mean, everyone's a fan of Candy Alexander's but she was. I mean, the first thing that pops in my head is Poetic Justice, which I love that. But she also, Kelly, did you know that she choreographed like three of Whitney Houstonson Houston's like top world tours.
Speaker 4: Did you know this?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I did not know that, But I remember learning something about her that day, about her dance career that I was like, oh my god. But like I had my mind blown that day and you're just reminding me of it, so I can't remember exactly what the details of it are right now, but like I remember that day being like what so you can look at her body. I mean, oh, you're a dancer, and I think I remember like asking about that or something, you know, but yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I haven't had a body like that since high school, Like man, like, how are you that compact and strong? Pushing and she's unbelievable. Okay, you always do Giermo's Six Degrees of Horror or Madonna, because then there's two favorite things in the world. Have you never done horror film?
Speaker 5: I've never done a horror film. I've done.
Speaker 3: I did this like really cool short that was like a kind of a thriller, but it was really more like suspense. It was not horror.
Speaker 4: But are you a fan of the horror? The horror Kelly, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't like the gore. I don't like the jump scares, like, oh God.
Speaker 5: Get that jump scare.
Speaker 3: I like a jump scare, and like a murder mystery, like a murder comedy, but like a jump like an axe coming down on somebody is like not my jam.
Speaker 1: But you're probably like a fan of like Silence of the Lambs, like that sort of horror thriller.
Speaker 4: No or no, even that's too much, too scary for me.
Speaker 3: It's too scary.
Speaker 5: To me suit out of a human skin.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 5: Man, nobody wants that. I don't care for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was one guest star on the show, Sebastian Rochet, who played Dominic Bell, who did three sort of horror esque shows. He was on Supernatural for a while, and then he was on Fringe with our girl j Justeseka Nicole Yeah yes, who played Huk's wife for a bunch of episodes, and then he was also on The Vampire Diaries. So it's a horror esque but she has exactly yeah, yeah, but like I.
Speaker 3: Could do so. So here's the thing. Horror is no genre I like to watch. But actually, ironically, I was just reading this Lupita Jungo profile and Glamour Yesterday free plug but and she talks about how she loves to do it because it's fun, but also it requires the way that you have to sustain and because the energy of the tension requires so much actual physical energy, like over the person, there's so much salmina And I thought that's interesting. That would be a really interesting acting challenge, right because in anything else, you're like, I've been in flowing with it. But there it's always in a text.
Speaker 1: She was did you guys see Lupita and Us? She is, yes, ridiculously talented in that movie that she has to do in that film.
Speaker 3: It's to see this quiet place. Pretty cool because I like that. I liked quiet Place. Does that count as far?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, absolutely, I like that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about some I know, Kelly, this is terrified. Happened a few Scandal tweets of the time, because it's like opening up a time capsule, and.
Speaker 5: Oh, this is good to know.
Speaker 2: Carrie Washington tweeted, so we can all feel better about this. F yi is stunt double who was thrown up against the glass door? Oh scandal? So even her and she was pregnant and gee, you don't even remember that.
Speaker 4: No, I don't remember there being a stunt double. Listen cave.
Speaker 1: Victoria Chase tweeted you telling me B six thirteen can take out.
Speaker 4: It can be taken.
Speaker 1: Out by trip and a circuit breaker.
Speaker 2: Hashtag unbelievable, hashtag nights that hashtag scandal.
Speaker 1: Yes, Kelly, were you on Twitter during this time, like during like the like when you did scandal and unwillingly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not enjoy the social they give me big anxiety.
Speaker 2: Andy t Germ tweeted, I'd love to meet the five year old boy who writes all the Fits's dialogue hashtags.
Speaker 1: Jazmine Ballejo tweeted, finally watched Scandal episode from last night, and I'd just like to say that Jake Ballard can get it anytime, anywhere.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, it's hard in the eyes emoji.
Speaker 5: I finally watched the episode from yes last night.
Speaker 2: Girl, how much It's so true. It's so true. That's so funny.
Speaker 5: Okay. At spect in Script tweeted, so.
Speaker 3: Was it me?
Speaker 2: Or was there some eye flirting going on between Abby and Leo and yesterday's eppie hashtags?
Speaker 4: Always there was always?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, the Leo Abby chemistry was fiery. It was hot.
Speaker 4: This is one of my favorite tweets. Nasty Woman Kiky tweeted.
Speaker 1: Fuck you Fits and Olivia, you both suck hashtags Scandal.
Speaker 5: Yes, she mad, same chick.
Speaker 2: Nasty Woman Kiky tweeted, oh my, Melly is gonna get screwed because Fits is a douchebag that gets to have a mistress but his wife can't Scandal.
Speaker 5: Fuck you Fits, I love it.
Speaker 3: It is not fair.
Speaker 4: It is freaking fair.
Speaker 5: Oh my God, Like Kelly, you are the greatest.
Speaker 2: The next episode up is number three seventeen, called Flesh and Blood. I have no idea if we have a guest or not, but Kelly, what you came on briefly at Scandal and.
Speaker 1: You left your mark, you left, you made an impression.
Speaker 3: Ah sucks. Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're lucky to have talented, so talented, so beautiful.
Speaker 5: It's an honor to be here.
Speaker 3: This is so much fun.
Speaker 5: I love that you guys are doing this.
Speaker 3: You're the culture of your show was happy and about together, this and joy, and all these years later, you're still doing this and I'm so grateful to be part of it. Thank you so much for you such a fun walkdown memory lane, you guys.
Speaker 5: Thanks Kelly.
Speaker 3: I love you guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening. Gladiators, We love you, Gladiators.
Speaker 5: Next week, episode three seventeen. I don't remember the name.
Speaker 4: Flesh and Blood.
Speaker 2: Oh, flesh and Blood, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 2: Unpacking the Toolbox was executive produced by Sandy Bailey Alex Alce Lauren Holman, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.