Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, this is part two of our episodes about Vanessa Williams and Miss America. If you haven't listened to part one, I recommend starting there.
Speaker 2: And I know Miss America.
Speaker 3: It's Vanessa Willy out of his face.
Speaker 1: Vanessa Williams upended more than sixty years of white beauty standards when she was crowned Miss America in nineteen eighty four, making history as the first black pageant winner. But when a nude photo scandal forced her to cut her rain short, the public shaming was swift and relentless.
Speaker 2: Miss America. Vanessa Williams took off her clothes, and now she's being asked to give up her crown. Within seventy two hours.
Speaker 1: Racist hate mail was sent to her parents home. Derogatory graffiti was scrawled on shops in her hometown. She was characterized as a slut in the press. As one cultural historian put it, she became the pageant's own hester prynne.
Speaker 3: But Vanessa Williams didn't go away quietly.
Speaker 1: She would go on to make a staggering comeback, and of the publisher who released her nude photos, she vowed, I won't let that man destroy me. I'm Jessica Bennett and I'm Susie Vannacaram. This is in retrospect. For each week, we revisit a cultural moment from the past that shaped.
Speaker 4: Us and that we just can't stop thinking about today.
Speaker 1: We're talking about Vanessa Williams, who made history as the first Black Miss America, but whose win was overshadowed by a scandal that stripped her of her crown. We're also talking about Miss America, the beauty paget that, for more than a century sent a particular message about what womanhood was supposed to look like.
Speaker 3: Young, fin unmarried, and white.
Speaker 4: Jess Let's take a moment to recap where we ended part one. Yeah, so, Vanessa Williams has had this historic when as the first Black Miss America. She's almost made it through the year long term, and it's been a roller coaster. She's had these amazing opportunities, but she's also experienced some pretty explicit racist backlash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And before her historic rate ends, Vanessa finds out that the porn magazine Penthouse is going to publish a bunch of nude photos she'd posed for as a model a few years before she entered the pageant. Right, And it's important to say that these nude photos were sold by the photographer without her permission.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, exactly, they're sold without her permission. And the photos are also with another woman in a lot of suggestive poses, which I'm saying only to note that there's this kind of homophobic undertone to the whole thing as well. And you know, Penthouse, the magazine, of course, really leans into the whole Miss America thing. One of the headlines is here she comes dot dot do.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course that's a he gat frame it. And so now we heard the clip at the top. The Miss America pageant is basically demanding she turn over her crown, and they've given her just seventy two hours to figure out what to do. But it doesn't really sound like she has options, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't really seem like she has many options. And so Vanessa and her family, and her publicist and her lawyer, they're all hunkered down in her childhood home in upstate New.
Speaker 3: York trying to figure out what to do.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile, as you can imagine, the media is going crazy.
Speaker 5: I can imagine. I imagine they are going absolutely nuts.
Speaker 3: You know, this is the era of the tabloids.
Speaker 1: So the New York Daily News headline says miss America in Nudie picks. Some of the other headlines choice headlines Vanessa the dressa that was real terrible and mess America mess like mass yeah, and then another one there she is dot dot dot in the buck.
Speaker 4: Your heart really breaks for her, like this has to feel so awful. She's had this incredibly rough, overwhelming year, even though it's been exciting, to suddenly be exposed in this way must feel terrible.
Speaker 1: She actually, in her memoir describes it as feeling like she'd been raped, Like it felt so utterly violating, and she had no control over how the images appear or the fact that they did appear. And what was interesting, too, is that all of the press at this time is then like going and doing these men on the street interviews where they're just asking any old, random person what they think. And so there's this interesting clip that I kept hearing in recap segments of this kind of middle aged white lady pontificating on what she has done and what it means for black people.
Speaker 5: I felt that she, you know, she had the opportunity to do something very good for black people, and she let them down.
Speaker 4: Thank you, white lady for telling us how black people feel about Vanessa Williams. I'm sure black people felt some sympathy for her, at least some people did. I mean, this is not okay when someone releases pictures of you in this way.
Speaker 5: This is terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's interesting too, because this, of course is before the time that we understood what that meant. We say now, like she didn't consent to the photos, but people weren't using that language then. But one of the interesting things that happens is that at this time she had done this whole cover shoot for Essence magazine and they had this big piece coming out about her. It was really celebratory of her, and when the editor got the news, it was too late to pull her from the cover. So there she was in all of these negative headlines, and she's also on the cover of Essence, which interestingly actually boosted Essences sales because of course it was now this scandal, but it also hurt their subscriptions because readers thought they were condoning these photos.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course, not surprisingly, when Penthouse actually does publish the images soon After Vanessa is given this kind of heads up, sales for that magazine go absolutely wild.
Speaker 2: While the photos may have ended her reign, they have not hurt sales of the magazine they were pooming.
Speaker 1: Penhouse, by the way, we should note, is an explicit magazine, like much more so than Playboy. Playboy is considered in this genre, like the tasteful one of the tour, and over time that issue of Penhouse would become the best selling issue of all time, earning twenty four million dollars, none of which Vanessa Williams gets, of course, not that she would want it. It's interesting because at this time Penthouse this is like kind of its mo o. They had done something similar to Suzanne Summers.
Speaker 3: A couple of years earlier.
Speaker 1: They would do this to Madonna a year later, and then somewhat famously, they did this to Pamela Anderson, where they would buy these photos from whoever had them or leaked to them, and it didn't matter whether the person who was in the photo had any say in it or wanted them to appear.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, I remember we talked about that during the Pamela Anderson episode. Okay, so they basically are creeps. I mean, that's going to be my takeaway from this. So this magazine hits the newsstands, what comes next?
Speaker 1: As you know, the pageant is pushing for her to resign, and Al Marx, who is the head of the Miss America organization at this time, says, quote, she knows that the photographs are totally inconsistent with the Miss America image. I mean sure, And then he goes on to say, as a man, as a father, as a grandfather, as a human being, I've never seen anything like these photos. I can't even show them to my wife.
Speaker 5: I mean, why is she showing penhouse to his wife? Like, don't do that then?
Speaker 3: Or maybe do do that anyway.
Speaker 1: But let me just say for those wondering, because I feel like if I were listening, I would be wondering what is actually in the photos? They are extremely sexually suggestive, like she's simulating sex acts with this other model. There is full frontal. You can really imagine how mortifying this is for her.
Speaker 5: I really feel for her. So how did her parents react?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can just imagine having to tell your parents this is occurring. But her parents were actually supportive and were in fact really opposed to her resigning. Her father told the Post at the time, our feeling is that she should continue with it. We feel she's earned it. We feel it could be seen as an admission of guilt of having done something that was wrong and distasteful, and we don't feel that she did.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's honestly, really nice.
Speaker 4: It's good that she had supportive parents who really held her up during this, because you know, in a lot of cases, people's parents aren't misunderstanding.
Speaker 5: So I like that for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there were people who supported her through this too.
Speaker 1: I mean, once somebody becomes an underdog, sometimes peo will come out of the woodwork in support.
Speaker 3: So there were.
Speaker 1: Those who took to the streets with signs that said things like long Live the Queen and boycott Penthouse and were protesting the magazine and really did stand by her.
Speaker 5: Bow wait Bonga way.
Speaker 1: Finally, after her seventy two hours are up, Vanessa Williams holds a press conference to address the question of her resignation.
Speaker 6: I would like to start and everyone here, good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen of the press, and thank you for your attendance today.
Speaker 1: So she reads from a paper of her prepared remarks, this is a packed room. It's happening in Manhattan. You can see that she is charismatic even in the face of these charges. Her voice is clear and calm. She manages to smile and make eye contact.
Speaker 6: As you all know, the Miss America passion is asked for me to resign as Miss America nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: Now with the time for my response.
Speaker 1: First, she addresses how the photos came to be. So it's nineteen eighty two, she's a freshman in college. She replies to a model's wanted classify mad and when she goes in, the photographer who's hiring is basically like, look, if you want to be a model, you need a portfolio, so I can help you with that. And so the photographer offers her a summer job as his receptionist and makeup artist. She had some experience in that, and she says they had a mostly normal working relationship, but then he would frequently ask if she wanted to pose nude, and eventually she.
Speaker 7: Agrees, based on his persistence and encouragement that I would be a good subject and his assurance that the photographs would just be for me to see.
Speaker 3: I was ultimately persuaded to do a session.
Speaker 1: So first they do like an artsy nude shoot in a forest. These photos are never lead. Then a week later he asks her if she wants to do another nude shoot, and this time it's with another woman. The poses in the nude shoot look like they're meant to be simulating sex.
Speaker 3: Each pose was set up.
Speaker 6: At no time was there any spontaneous or ongoing activity between myself and the other model.
Speaker 1: One thing I want to note here is that she does tell people later on, I know these photos look incriminating, but believe me, there was no lesbian activity that in of itself we could unpractic.
Speaker 3: But that's what she says.
Speaker 1: And he promised her that these would be silhouette style photos, like you wouldn't be able to see her face. He promises that he will not publish them. He lied, obviously.
Speaker 6: After viewing the photos, I was enraged and I felt a deep sense of personal embarrassment. It is one thing to face up to a mistake that one makes a youth, but he is almost totally devastating to have to share it with the American public and the world at large, as both a human being and as miss and earth.
Speaker 1: She then goes on to thank her family, friends and all of those who've come to her defense in what she describes as the most difficult time in my young life, and then she says.
Speaker 6: Therefore, I do officially relinquish my title as Miss America.
Speaker 5: In nineteen eighty four, to the Miss America pageant.
Speaker 2: Good Evening, Miss America, Vanessa Williams has lost her crown.
Speaker 5: NESSA. Williams yielded her crown. That's the glamor of pageant, Demanda.
Speaker 2: He was stripped of her crown, that apparently being the only thing she had not previously doffed voluntarily.
Speaker 4: Jess, I'm curious did she have to resign? Are there actually rules in the pageants that she had violated?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's interesting technically not.
Speaker 1: But she had signed a contract swearing to quote good moral character, so that kind of leaves it to Miss America to decide what good moral character it is. And then she had also pledged that she had not engaged in what they describe as acts of moral turpitude, So the contract doesn't define moral turpitude or good moral character. But I think that you can make the assumption that they didn't think this was appropriate.
Speaker 4: I'm embarrassed to admit that I do not know what turpeitude means.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking of the same thing. What is moralude? So clearly we need to google that. But I feel like we get the gest right.
Speaker 5: We get the idea. We get the idea.
Speaker 4: So now she's resigned, does she go away quietly or then what?
Speaker 1: First off, she vows to keep fighting, which I think is pretty interesting. There's this famous interview she gives to People magazine shortly after all this happens in nineteen eighty four that she starts by saying, I'm going to fight if it takes my last dime.
Speaker 3: I'm fighting for my life and for the people I've let down.
Speaker 1: Good for her, yeah, it is good for her and to be able to say that, like she's not just backing away quietly. But one of the things that is so sad in the same interview is that she talks about how she feels like she hasn't just let women down, but she's let the whole black community down. And she goes on to say, you know, I made a terrible error in judgment. I know I'll have to pay for it as long as I live. And then there's this line, which I feel like is one of these lines I've heard repeated and is one of the reasons why I wanted to revisit this story where she says, but I am not a lesbian and I am not a slut, and somehow I'm going to make people believe me.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can understand why she felt the need to say that, but it's depressing because there's so many layers of ingrained homophobia and like shame around sex in that and you know, it makes sense she's a product of her time.
Speaker 5: But now we would be clear that there's.
Speaker 4: Nothing wrong with being a lesbian, and frankly, there's something wrong with being a slut, like your body, your choice. What happens to the title, because you know, it's pretty close to the end of the term, right, good question.
Speaker 1: I mean, you would think that they could just wait until the following year, but they actually promote or whatever the word is. In Miss America Land, her first runner up, who is this woman? Sus that Charles also a black woman, she assumes the throne and when she does, she says she would represent quote the wholesome American image. So really, putting herself in contrast to what people were perceiving.
Speaker 3: Fanessa, I don't like to.
Speaker 5: See that, Charles. I feel like she's being rud to Vanessa with this little comment.
Speaker 3: I mean, it does seem that way.
Speaker 1: And then the pageant allows Vanessa to keep the scholarship money, but she does lose a bunch of money and endorsement deals, like that's a product of being Miss America. All of these companies partner with you, you do endorsements, and so she loses that money. She ultimately ends up suing the magazine and the photographer, but they argue that she had signed waivers allowing them to use the photos.
Speaker 3: Vanessa says that's not the case.
Speaker 1: But basically what happens is her lawyers warn her that her life and her sexual life if she goes through with this suit, would be put so firmly under the microscope, either in discovery or in deposition.
Speaker 3: And so she drops the suit.
Speaker 1: But meanwhile, as all of this is going down, it turns out this is great for Miss America the pageant. They gain renewed interest. In nineteen eighty four, ticket sales jumped by twenty percent, viewership briefly leaps back to seventy four million, like they're thriving or in the wake of this scandal.
Speaker 3: There's nothing like a scandal to resurrect, righting suit.
Speaker 1: Then you may think we're getting to the end of the bad parts of the story, but it's not actually over yet, because what happens is that more nude photos come to go and again Penthouse Princess, poor girl.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And basically this is from a shoot from around the same time, and this is a different photographer, another supposed fashion photographer, And the scandal this time is that it was kind of an S and M esque shoot. Vanessa is in like a leather harness and handcuffs and the photos are published in the January nineteen eighty five edition of Penthouse.
Speaker 4: And this time she thought she had all the negatives right, she had actually like made the effort to get the negatives of these photos.
Speaker 1: Yes, so in this case she has talked about how she was really uncomfortable midshoot, like she knew that she felt uncomfortable. She cut the shoot short and she went back a week later, I think with her boyfriend at the time to get all of the negatives or so she thought. It's interesting too, because all of this kind of reminds me of these stories that have come out more recently about like Terry Richardson and all of these quote unquote fashion photographers who are men who co were some models.
Speaker 5: I was just thinking about that.
Speaker 4: I think if you were not around for this era, some of these stories may seem strange, like why did she agree to do these things? But the reality is, if you were a model coming up in the eighties, you were asked to do these shoots, and if you didn't do them, you were considered prude and sometimes dinged in your career.
Speaker 5: So it was kind of an impossible choice.
Speaker 4: Like you needed to show that you were game and you were playful and you were willing to take risks.
Speaker 5: And so I'm sure she felt like she had to do this.
Speaker 1: She felt well, and she's so young, I mean, like she's a teenager, so what better does she.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she is so young.
Speaker 4: It's always easy to forget when we're talking about these stories that these are nineteen twenty twenty one year old girls usually, so is she really demoralized at this point?
Speaker 1: She's so strong, she's actually steadfast even as the second hit, the second terrible thing comes she's going to keep fighting. In that People magazine article I mentioned, she says of the head of Penthouse Magazine, and one thing you can be sure.
Speaker 3: Of, I won't let that man destroy me. And she doesn't.
Speaker 1: She is adamant that she's going to fight for the bigger dream for her, which always was to be in the entertainment business, to be a singer and actress.
Speaker 8: I feel at this time I should expand my energies and launching what I hope will be a successful career in the entertainment business. I feel my new career will be the greatest challenge in my life.
Speaker 4: This episode makes me love Vanessa Williams more and more, like really inspiring that she did not just crawl away like they wanted her to and hide.
Speaker 1: And she does end up taking some time away from the spotlight. Probably smart, But what happens is she makes one of the greatest comebacks in entertainment history.
Speaker 3: No so yeah, I mean, we recognize that song.
Speaker 1: Vanessa Williams goes on to have a very successful career as a Laddies pop star. Her debut album drops in nineteen eighty eight. It has multiple singles on the Billboard charts, and then She goes on to receive eleven Grammy nominations. She enters stage and film, she becomes a television act like, she's nominated for four Emmys and Tony all sorts of accolades, really really successful. She performs a song in Pocahontas, which then ended up winning the Academy Award for Best Original Song.
Speaker 4: I just want to say that it's kind of amazing that she went from being dethroned to appearing in a Disney movie like I am right, No, it really is totally turned things around.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting to think about what allows someone to move past a thing that happened in this era where we didn't let women move past things, and what doesn't and like, what are the small differences that allowed her to seemingly really move on from this and become like a huge star on Ugly Betty.
Speaker 3: I remember loving her character willem.
Speaker 4: Oh, Yes, I loved Ugly Betty even if I wanted to express simply I physically can't so good.
Speaker 1: And you know, if it isn't already clear, Vanessa really is a multifaceted talent. You know, she's on Broadway, she does mainstream TV. She's a singer, she has.
Speaker 3: Gone on to write books.
Speaker 1: She really is doing everything that she set out to do and said she would.
Speaker 4: And I think it's partially just who she is, right, I mean, she is someone who refuses to be torn down. I mean there is something really amazing about that.
Speaker 1: And actually she kind of acknowledges that later, like in nineteen ninety six she gets a Career Achievement prize and she says in her speech, I knew once the deat settled, I would ultimately get the chance to do what I do best.
Speaker 3: And she really she did.
Speaker 5: Yes, Vanessa William's hero.
Speaker 3: Also, who needs Miss America anyway?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she really didn't need Miss America. In fact, she rose from those ashes and was able to never look back, right.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, kind of, except that she does go back many years later, basically as Vanessa's career rises, Miss America's currency stock whatever you want to call it, plat interest, not surprisingly recently, thirty two years after her crowning and dethroning in twenty fifteen, Miss America actually invites her back to be a judge.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that's isn't that sunny? So funny? And also that must have felt so good.
Speaker 3: I wonder what was going through her mind when she was deciding whether or not.
Speaker 1: To accept right, And actually it ended up causing like its own mini scandal because the question was whether she would apologize to them no, or if the organization would apologize to her.
Speaker 3: I'm like how that would play out.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: When she does finally get up on stage at the twenty fifteen pageant, it must have been so validating. Sam Haskell, who then was the pageant's CEO, apologizes to her and to her mother, who is in the audience.
Speaker 9: You have lived your life in grace and dignity, and never was it more evident than during the events of nineteen eighty four when you resigned. Though none of us currently in the organization were involved in on behalf of today's organization, I want to apologize to you.
Speaker 3: And to your mother, Miss Helen Williams. I really am so happy right now.
Speaker 5: I love it. I didn't know anything.
Speaker 1: About this, and I love it like the ultimate vindication a little bit.
Speaker 10: Yes, she gets her revenge.
Speaker 5: So you've been to Miss America?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Was that the year you went?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have been to Miss America.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 1: It was Actually it's one of the most fun things I've met I've remembered I would go. Sometimes you just get to go on a reporting trip, but it's like, ah, this is why I do this, And Miss America was that for me.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love a weird reporting trip.
Speaker 3: It was not the year that Vanessa Lyms came back.
Speaker 1: It was a couple of years later, but it was interesting because so she appears, and then a year or so later is when the me too movement begins, and so by the time I'm going is when this really complex conversation is happening in the culture about what is appropriate and what is appropriate when it comes to even something as seemingly silly as a beauty path. There's all this discussion around whether beauty pageants should exist at all, if swimsuits should be allowed. Is that objectification? And then actually that year that I went, Gretchen Carlson, she is the woman who successfully sued Fox News for sexual harassment the former newscast, and also America had taken over for that guy I mentioned earlier, Sam Haskell, who had gotten in trouble for sending lude emails about the contestants Natchurally, but of course.
Speaker 4: There's always a bad man somewhere in the shadows whenever we're talking about anything.
Speaker 5: So, what was it, like?
Speaker 3: Tell me everything. It's on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.
Speaker 1: It's in this huge stadium, and I'm kind of expecting it to be glitzy and glam and it is not that. It's pretty dark, like literally dark, and also feels kind of dark.
Speaker 3: There's not very many people there.
Speaker 1: At one point, I'm sort of poking around trying to get a sense of the place, and I go down this long hallway that's sort of the backstage area of any stadium, and I come across the actual office to the Miss America headquarters and it has like a sad piece of paper identifying itself. It's like this dark, dingy office with like gray, kind of dirty carpets. It's all pretty run down, and Atlantic City has had financial trouble and is pretty run down too, So they were so desperate for people to come to the event itself that people were handing out flyers to like random passerbys on the street to go for free.
Speaker 3: Tickets to fill empty seats.
Speaker 1: And the flyers said, all you need to do is get dressed up really nice and show up to board wall.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's time has passed.
Speaker 4: Like I think it might be time to accept that Miss America's time has passed.
Speaker 1: It really is right, and so I mean, and that was really why I was there in the first place. It was like they were attempting to rebrand for the modern era.
Speaker 3: And so what did that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, for starters, there was a lot of linguistic terminology change happening. So it was no longer being called a pageant this year, it was being called a competition. The participants were no longer participants or contestants. They were candidates run running for office, yes, and they were interviewing for the job of I was really framed as a job.
Speaker 4: I'm always interviewing with vasilin on my teeth and like a see exactly.
Speaker 1: They had gotten rid of the runway and the word miss had actually been stripped from the sashes, so normally it's like Miss Washington, miss New York, so it would just say New York. But each sash did also still have a little pocket for your lipstick.
Speaker 5: Go oh, I never knew that sashes had that. That's actually very functional.
Speaker 1: And then of course, as I mentioned, there were no swimsuits like that was really the big change, And so when Gretchen Carlson, who was then the head of the organization, would talk about it, she'd be like, this is a place where we can highlight diverse and inclusive and empowered candidates and leaders.
Speaker 3: They're beautiful inside and that.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh this, Yes, they're beautiful inside and out. But we're still gonna pick the most beautiful.
Speaker 3: Right though, I do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like I went in with a lot of stereotypes about Miss America, many of which we have probably expressed here thiscast.
Speaker 3: But these women were really impressive, I must say.
Speaker 1: And they were impressive not just because they were literal neuroscientists. They were like Harvard software developers who work for Microsoft, woman who worked in STEM. One of them had started a cancer organization. They talked about growing up with incarcerated parents, and had developed nonprofit organizations to deal with campus sexual assault, like all of those really impressive things. But then on top of that, they could like dance and do ventriloquism and.
Speaker 3: Play the harmonicas isn't one of the talents you mentioned clogging?
Speaker 5: Do some of them do clog?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes, I have some amazing videos from this that I wish we could show. But yes, there was a clogging episode. There was like one, there was one.
Speaker 3: How do I even just guess?
Speaker 1: It was like an interpretive dance with a ghost. That does not clarify anything I was performing with a ghost.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it was all just incredible.
Speaker 5: I also feel like the only reason I know about baton.
Speaker 4: Twirling is pageants, Like I'm always envisioning someone up there with the baton. I mean, it is really interesting that such fascinating women are choosing to do this. Is it for the scholarship money? Like, it's interesting that these women who are going to Harvard or are neuroscientists are drawn to this still in some way.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think a lot of them are doing it for the scholarship money and for visibility for their like nonprofit organizations to cure insert specific kind of cancer or other bad things. They really were very mission driven, really fascinating, and I don't know, you know, maybe all of these women had really interesting paths and they just weren't able to express them during the time when Miss America was popular, or maybe they've gone out of their way to work people who have interesting paths. I don't know, but what appeared to be much more progressive or what they were aiming to have be much more progressive on the outside was having a full fledged, as one woman described it to me, civil war.
Speaker 5: Oh on the inside.
Speaker 1: All right, So if you were to imagine going into a conference room in this giant stadium where all of these state and local enthusiasts, like really strong enthusiasts who have a lot of feelings about As America were gathering to essentially try to stage a coup to overthrow the president.
Speaker 3: They were trying to overthrow Gretchen Carlson.
Speaker 1: I think it was just a culture war happening on a micro level inside this organization.
Speaker 3: Like they did not want it to choose.
Speaker 1: There was like a real division about whether they wanted it to change or not, whether she was the right leader for it. In the week leading after the pageant, they were like posters hung around town in Atlantic City with giant letters calling Gretchen Carlson so fake amazing, It's like fully.
Speaker 5: Midol, I love a dark underbelly. I like it.
Speaker 1: There was a blue sash with the words Gretchen sucks that was placed on this statue of Miss America that's perched outside the hall because it's been taking place here for so many years, so people would go and pose in front of that statue and like it would have the sash on it.
Speaker 4: I just want to say that I would watch a scripted series about the war inside Miss America, because.
Speaker 5: I bet you it would be hilario.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe we need to do that.
Speaker 5: I'm in let's do it.
Speaker 1: I wish I had recordings that we could play. But basically I snuck into this secret meeting of the local leaders where they were plotting this over through. Okay, but it was so interesting because it was happening at the same time that Miss America was just grasping for relevance, and at this time, viewership was basically at an all time low. They've tried moving in to different stations, They've tried all these different th but like nobody wanted to watch Miss America. They couldn't even fill the little seats in the stadium we were in, and so I don't know, maybe it was a bit of a last gas, but I just happened to be lucky enough to wear Miss It.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do feel like that's lucky. I wish I had been there with you. I can't believe you didn't invite me.
Speaker 5: So where is Miss America today? Is it totally off the air now?
Speaker 1: So I'm sure if you were to ask Miss America enthusiasts question, they would take something really different. But it's pretty much irrelevant. It's only live streamed on their website now. People are not watching it. It did not air on TV last year, and I'm not sure what the state of it is, and I don't think people are talking about it really.
Speaker 4: It sort of reminds me of when we talk about soap operas, like there's always going to be fans, There's always going to be people who feel a real connection, but there are just some things that don't maintain the same cultural.
Speaker 1: Relevance, even things with long interesting albeit problematic the word we yeah and don't like she's on the show. Histories sometimes have to get retired. But the good news here is Vanessa Williams does't Nameless America. She is way past that. She's thriving.
Speaker 5: I know Vanessa Williams thriving.
Speaker 4: That is the message of this podcast.
Speaker 5: What she been doing lately.
Speaker 1: So she has been a judge on RuPaul's Queen of the universe, which is the Drag Queen Singing Competition, which is very fun, very fun. She is in a Broadway show, a recent Broadway show called Potus, where she actually plays the first Lady.
Speaker 3: It's an all female cast.
Speaker 1: It was described as I haven't seen it, but like bride'smaids in the White House are trying to keep the president alive.
Speaker 3: It sounds very fun.
Speaker 1: And she recently turned sixty and as she told Jennifer Hudson on her talk show, there is a sense of ease.
Speaker 4: The older you get, the less you care about what everybody else has to say.
Speaker 5: This is the best. I love a comeback story.
Speaker 4: This has been one of my favorites, so I feel like this is a great place to end it.
Speaker 1: You know, as they put it in Miss Congeniality, she is beauty, she is grace, she is Miss United States. But I guess in this case miss America and also screw Miss America. Before we go, I wanted to give a quick shout out to two authors whose books were instrumental.
Speaker 3: In our research of this episode.
Speaker 1: The first is Margot Mifflin, whose book is Looking for Miss America, a Pageant's one hundred year quest to define Womanhood, and the second is Amy Argetsinger, whose book is There She Was The Secret History of Miss America. They're both fascinating reads and you can find links to them in our show notes.
Speaker 4: So, jess we talked about some fun reporting you did on Miss America in this episode that all week long you've been asking me about stories from my past. So next week we're going to reveal some fun behind the scenes experiences we've both had, right.
Speaker 1: Like the time you booke Jessica Simpson for Katie Couric show.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm finally going to talk about Jessica Simpson, which.
Speaker 5: I know you've been dying to hear about.
Speaker 3: I have, so tune in next week and you'll hear all about it.
Speaker 5: This is in Retrospect. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Is there a pop culture moment you can't stop thinking about and want us to explore in a future episode. Email us at inretropod at gmail dot com or find us on Instagram at in retropod.
Speaker 1: If you love this podcast, please rate and review us on Apple or Spotify or wherever you listen. If you hate it, you can post nasty comments on our Instagram, which we may or may not delete.
Speaker 4: You can also find us on Instagram at Jessica Bennett and at suzib nyc. Also check out Jessica's books, Feminist, Fike Club, and This Is eighteen.
Speaker 1: In Retrospect is a production of iHeart Podcasts and the Media. Lauren Hansen is our supervising producer. Derek Clements is our engineer and sound designer. Emily Meronoff is our producer. Sharan Atia is our researcher and associate producer.
Speaker 5: Our executive producer from the media is Cindy Levy.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers from iHeart are Anna Stump and Katrina Norbel. Our artwork is from Pentagram. Our mixing engineer is Amanda Rose Smith. Additional editing help from Mary Do. We are your hosts Susie Bannacarum and Jessica Bennett.
Speaker 1: We are also executive producers for even more check out in retropod dot com.
Speaker 3: See you next week.