Speaker 1: Hey, I'm welcome to the Short Stuff. I'm Josh. There's Chuck and Ben's here too, sitting in for Dave.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 1: This is short stuff, the New Reality.
Speaker 2: That's right. I'm glad that you found this because I have experienced this in a slightly different way, and I never knew that it was a thing, and now I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no idea it was a thing either. I don't remember where I heard of this. I'm guessing you me, it just seems like the kind of thing she would have sent me. But we have to shout out McGill University, IFL Science and Science Times for helping round this idea hour this story out. But we're talking about something called the Marico Aoki phenomenon, which is a very specific phenomenon. It's where some people go into a bookstore and are overwhelmed with the urge, sometimes an urgent urge to poop in that bookstore, not like in the aisles of the bookstore, but to go to the bathroom in the bookstore to poop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here's my story. In high school, still one of my very best friends, Jim, I say, you know, Jim, Jim and I had an afternoon radio show, which was over the intercom of the school, and it was basically instead of the principal reading the daily announcements, we asked if we could take it over and round it out with jokes and top ten lists and what have you. So we had WRHS was our dumb little show.
Speaker 1: So wait, this was officially sanctioned. It wasn't pirate School Radio.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. It was us in the principal's office like on the microphone every day. I mean that was looking back, it was the start of stuff you should know, which is funny. Oh wow, But we did. When we would meet to write the show. Every day, we would meet in the empty auditorium where they did school plays, and every time we were in there, both of us had to poop and we used to laugh about it and talk about it. And now that I see sort of some of the similarities between that empty, quiet auditorium and a sort of a large, maybe cavernous, quiet bookstore, I now know this is a thing.
Speaker 1: I was not expecting a personal anecdote from you for this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this goes back to the eighties, Jim and I. He'll laugh when I tell him this is an actual thing.
Speaker 1: Well, that's appropriate because the Marico Aoki phenomenon goes back to the eighties too, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, so we should probably talk about where it came from, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it came from a Japanese woman named Mariko Aoki.
Speaker 2: That's right. And she sent a letter to a magazine in what nineteen eighty five and the issue of han no Zashi? Is that right?
Speaker 1: Close enough?
Speaker 2: How would you say it?
Speaker 1: Han no Zashi?
Speaker 2: Didn't that what I said?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay? And she wrote a letter to the you know, like a letter to the editor kind of thing, where she said, I'm not sure why, but since about two or three years ago, whenever I go to a bookstore, I'm struck by an urge to move my bowels. They printed it, just the letter to the editor, and then got so many responses from people saying me too, that the next issue had a fourteen page feature article on the headline was the phenomenon currently shaking the bookstore industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it became like such a thing that it took her name, Marico Aoki. Even though there has been people have turned up mentions of this kind of thing as far back as the fifties, I could not find any original source material of that, but I think I'm willing to take IFL Science on their word if they were the one where I got it from. But in Japan it kicked off like a trend, right, So there were kind of like game show informal studies of what exactly was going on, and they did turn up some data, not exactly like you know, peer review shorthy data, but they found that about ten percent of the respondence in Japan feel the urge to poop when they go into the bookstore. So the Marryoki Aoki phenomenon is it covers about ten percent of the population. I'm squarely in the ninety percent. You're apparently in the ten percent.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I haven't tested it with a bookstore, but there are similarities between. For us, it always felt like like Jim's theory was that it was a big being alone in a very big, large, empty quiet.
Speaker 1: Space like a colon.
Speaker 2: I guess so, but you know, a bookstore isn't empty, but it's not like going to a concert. It is generally pretty quiet, so and there's like some there's a privacy aspect I think to a bookstore. I mean I'm thinking larger bookstores, not like you know, the tiny mom and pops, which I love. So I don't know that was his theory. Lease, so I guess I'm in that ten percent. I'll go to a bookstore and I'll let you know.
Speaker 1: We'll report back for sure. As a matter of fact, we should live stream on stuff. You should know, like one of our social it's true.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you might He'll be right back. Should we take a break, Yeah, all right, we'll come back and talk about some of the theories right after this. If you want to know, then you're in luck. Just listen to Chuck selfus.
Speaker 1: Chuck, I think I speak on behalf of at least half of the people listening. Would you and Jim go poop at the same time, or would you like take turns?
Speaker 2: I don't remember that part. I don't even know if we went and pooped or if it was just like, oh I got a poop, I see, I see.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so yeah, anyway, we're back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're back. There is no like serious science probably about this, but there are a lot of pretty interesting theories, and one of them is something that we've talked about. In fact, we did a whole show sort of, didn't we about the gut brain axis we did.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's something about like when you approach the front door of your.
Speaker 1: House, that's the brain bladder connection.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I think this is kind of similar though, right, No, totally.
Speaker 1: I think the second theory, the smell of books, which we'll get to, is more brain bladder connection. But the gut brain axis would have come up in I guess, like I can't remember what it was, but we talked about like a whole episode about how there's neurons in your gut and like your brain and your gut, your central nervous system and your enteric nervous system communicate to one another. And so that's probably the likeliest explanation for why somebody would feel the urge to poop in a bookstore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some other you know. To me, I think it's all of these things added together. There is that there is also this sort of connection of like people like reading on the toilet has long been something that people do, right. People are on their phones now, but in the old days, you had that magazine. Rack still got a magazine right next to my toilet, and we'll read a good magazine. So that connection. Maybe that subconscious thing of when you're among those books, your sphincter just a moocks, just a little bit, maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So whatever it was, whatever, if it's like the smell of books, that's kind of usually put forth. Whatever it is that you associate with a bookstore, and then you poop in the bookstore. That's where your gut brain access would take over and you develop this association. So when you walk into the bookstore, your brain goes, hey, gut, we're in a bookstore. You better get busy pooping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense. Another one, of course, is a bookstore oftentimes there's a lot of squatting. Yeah, if you want to book down on that bottom shelf, or you want to peruse for a little while on the bottom, you're going to be squatting down. And humankind didn't evolve to poop like we poop. Now you're supposed to squat. And if you've ever in in that dead squat position with your butt just barely above the ground and all your weight, like everything lines up in such a way to where your body goes, oh, it's go.
Speaker 1: Time, it's time, yeah, and he goes.
Speaker 2: So you're in there already, it's quiet. You got the smell of the books you're squatting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how could anybody not poop?
Speaker 2: You may have a coffee, that's a big one.
Speaker 1: A lot of people say, yeah, people drink coffee and bookstores and coffee makes you poop.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think it's like all this stuff sort of adds up to, oh my god, I'm in a bookstore. I've got to go.
Speaker 1: There's another theory that isn't specifically identified as from Japan. But if it's not from Japan, I will eat my hat and I don't even have a hat. I'll go buy a hat to eat it. If this isn't a Japanese theory, that because life is stressful, when you walk into a bookstore, a bookstore is very calm, and so you feel relieved and so you want to leave yourself.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen you wear a hat.
Speaker 1: I've got a like a mud hens hat that man, my hair has to be pretty messed up for me to wear it, but that's my hat.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've ever seen you in a hat in sixteen years.
Speaker 1: Well, that's by design.
Speaker 2: I've seen you in shorts maybe twice.
Speaker 1: That was by design as well. What do you think.
Speaker 2: You get some nice legs thanks, And then of course you have to think about or at least consider the frequency illusion aspect of this. It's a type of confirmation bias, whereas once you know this is a thing, you start to just it's in your head all of a sudden, and you're making that connection where it previously didn't exist, So you know, you have to kind of consider that for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what skeptics say. They say there's no such thing as the Mark Aoki phenomenon, that actually it's it's people just have heard of it, and maybe she had some sort of Pavlovian training where like the smell of the books made her want to poop, but just talk about it. It getting published and becoming a thing in Japan, then traveling around the world, people started saying like, oh, yeah, I've pooped in bookstores too, So then anytime they poop in a bookstore from that point on they notice it. It confirms their theory that they're susceptible to the Ma Aoki phenomenon, and it just becomes like a self fulfilling prophecy. But at the same time they're also ignoring all the times they go to the bookstore and don't poop, or they go to pet Co and have to poop. You don't want to do although you could just poop in the aisle and blame it on the dog. But still that's part of the frequency illusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So I'm curious to hear from people two types of people, people that have experienced this, whether in a bookstore or like my situation, like a large empty room, or bookstore employees who are like, dude, you don't know that the nightmare that we live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine, you know, Yeah, I hadn't thought about that. Man's better thought for the bookstore employees.
Speaker 2: Huh, wasn't there Seinfeld where George had to go to the bathroom in a bookstore?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he found the pastoral scenes very conducive to and then Elaine cuts him off. He had to buy a book because he took it in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: There you have it, a book of Impressionist paintings. If you well, no, this is not a regular stuff you should know episode. Even though in this episode we found out the origin of stuff you should know, even I didn't know the origin story. And since I'm so hyped, I think that can only mean that short stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.