Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Cool People Did Cool Stuff or cpw DCS. If you're feeling an acronymy, which I said just to bring out the pedants who want to correct me to say that it's not an acronym unless it spells a word. But let me tell you, pedance language is socially constructed. That's what we're gonna talk about. Anyway. I'm your host, Margaret Kildrey, and with me this week it's Samanth McVay. Samantha, how you ry?
Speaker 2: I'm great. I'm so excited to be on talking about Helen Keller.
Speaker 1: Yay, yay. Sophie's our producer.
Speaker 2: Wait did I just spoil that?
Speaker 1: No? No, this is part two. Everyone who doesn't okay, okay. Also it's in the title. Now you are the only way who came into it not knowing last time everyone else was talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always the last one. Why it's just you?
Speaker 1: Actually, I tell all the other guests, rude, that's.
Speaker 2: What I feel like, this conspiracy conspiracy theory. I'm like, you're setting me up. I know you're setting me up, aren't you?
Speaker 1: But I'm ling, how you doing? Sophie? You know, let's do it Okay, okay, our audio engineers ian our theme music was written for us by unwomen. And this week we are talking about Helen Keller, about deaf blindness, about how history discusses her all wrong, and we're talking about social construction of disability. So if you've paid attention to theory in the twenty first century, you'll realize we're talking about more and more things is being socially constructed rather than like objective facts, it's scare quotes. The one that gets talked about the most is gender. What is a woman is socially constructed and therefore mutable, and therefore can be understood to include, for example, a trans woman like myself, as well as this woman like you all. And I don't really want to get into the gender thing too much right now, but one of my favorite examples of social construction, maybe this is a weird one. Okay. If you gave a map of the world to a kid and ask them how many continents there were, they're not going to say seven. They're going to say six if they get convinced that Australia is big enough to count, right, because you've just taught the kid that the continent is a land mass right, and so then they'll say six not seven. Because it is social construction that gives us Asia and Europe. This is my theory. Someone might tell me I'm wrong at some point.
Speaker 3: Now, somebody will definitely tell you you're wrong at some point, but that's just because that person's an asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fair enough, that's true. So in general, the social construction of disability seeks to remove barriers for participation in society versus the medical model, which seeks to medically solve disability. In the social model, the impairment is the medical condition that sets someone up for disability, whereas disability itself is the result of the interaction between people living with impairments and the barriers in the physical, attitudinal, communication, and social environment. Shout outs to the group people with Disability Australia for that definition. In the social constructive disability, it's not a disability until barriers are put up by society. And this model has been in people's minds one way or another for a very long time, but it was in the seventies and eighties that it kicked in more and got its name and stuff, at least as I've been able to find in nineteen seventy five, a UK organization called the Union of Physically Impaired Against Segregation said, in our view, it is society which disables physically impaired people. Disability is something imposed on top of our impairments. By the way, we are unnecessarily isolated and excluded from full participation in society. In nineteen eighty three, a disabled academic named Mike Oliver gave this name, gave this the name the Social Model of Disability. And to me, it's not a coincidence that this movement started around nineteen seventy when just about everything in American society was changing, well, Western society. A lot of this comes from the UK as well. The more I read about late sixties and early seventies in the US, the more it feels like we actually kind of did have a revolution, not as complete as one of we would have liked, but modern feminism, anti racism, bodily autonomy, decolonization, queer liberation, disability rights, just fucking all of it and pouring in because of people fighting really really hard with everything from sit ins to rifles. And I bring this up because I think we owe everything to the prisoners who are still in fucking prison from that time, because there are still people in prison from these struggles. The other thing about that model is it's a really good lens with which to understand some of the problems in capitalist society, or really productivity is the end goal society. Author Susan Wendell, in an essay called the Social Construction of Disability, said, when the pace of life in a society increases, there is a tendency for more people to become disabled, not only because of physically damaging consequences of efforts to go faster, but also because fewer people can meet the expectations of quote normal performance. The physical and mental limitations of those who cannot meet the new pace become concer aspicuous and disabling, even though the same limitations were inconspicuous and irrelevant to full participation in a slower paced society. That one kind of like, mind blew me a little bit when I like, just like this idea that it's like, yeah, you can see that we are suddenly disabled because more is expected of us, right, so fewer people are meeting that bar. The other thing that she said in there that I think is worth pointing out, quote two things are important to remember about the help that people with disabilities may need. One is that most industrialized societies give non disabled people, in different degrees and kinds, depending on class, race, gender, and other factors, a lot of help in the form of education, training, social support, public communication and transportation facilities, public recreation, and other services. The help that non disabled people received tends to be taken for granted. It is not considered help but entitlement because it has offered to citizens who fit the social paradigms, who definition are not considered dependent on social help. And so just pointing out that like literally everyone gets help from society, you know, and that absolutely able body people or not disabled people get more help in a lot of ways, you know. And Mora Lee way, yeah, totally. So almost on talking about the social conceptions of disability. But because being me, I spent a while reading about medieval conceptions of disability, because I like that branding, and because anything that might have a sword in it is just like cooler, right, you.
Speaker 2: Could go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think seeing how social constructs change over time is incredibly useful to our modern conceptions. Medieval conceptions of disability were radically different from our own, and they weren't the medical model. They weren't good, but they weren't They're just different, right, I'm still learning about this. Medieval studies is very complicated because medieval studies is like millions of different cultures over like a thousand years, all like cramped together, is like you know, and usually it means like the Christian West, but even then there's like all of these things. Anyway, the medieval Christian world was a world full of where where things were judged by morality first and foremost, as compared to currently where we're judged by like productivity. Right, So in the current world, you're not disabled until you can't be productive to society. In the medieval world, at least in some places, and in some societies, you weren't disabled except by moral failing. Physical impairment wasn't always enough to count. That said, there were complicated prejudices against impairment. It seems like some people were like, Oh, you're judged by God as a sinner and that's why you look like that. And other people were like, no, you're living closer to God, living out purgatory in this life. You'll get to heaven sooner. Neither one of these is good.
Speaker 2: Right, but you know you're made to suffer. Yeah, you can get the rewards when you die.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I like the current method, the social construction model, that the one that.
Speaker 2: But so can we add the somehow add a saying about swords to help out that other one to make you like it better somehow?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I really like the Tarot card the Nine of Swords where it's like the woman sitting in bed with nine swords on the wall, and I just it's like, it couldn't be me. Could you imagine waking up and having nine swords and being sad? I can't?
Speaker 2: I could?
Speaker 1: I could?
Speaker 2: I think they're yeah, because like what if there's there's why why does she have the swords? What are the swords for? Is it for her? Or is it like against her? Like? What? What?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: I get? Okay, Okay, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I'm a sad sag. You can't ask me questions like that.
Speaker 1: I'll find sad anywhere.
Speaker 2: I got this. Let me bestimistic.
Speaker 1: I really fixed my last name too soon. By like mid twenties, I was like, I kill Joyce. Who I am? I'm like literally professional optimist at this point basically try and telling.
Speaker 2: To be constantly smiling, and they're talking about happy people. I'm like, this doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: I try to be really outgoing in my twenties, and that's why I was a kilt choice. My social battery was constantly drained, so I was always fair crouchy. All right, that's fair. So back to Alec briefly, we're almost done with Alex.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're still talking about Alex LESCo.
Speaker 1: Okay. He left a legacy that people argue about to this day. Why is this important? Because he was close friends with Helen Keller and her entire life her over her entire life. It was a huge inspiration for her positions on many things, including almost certainly her position on eugenics, which we will get to. She dedicated her first book to him, and both of his brothers died of tuberculosis, which has nothing to do with this episode. I just tracked TV's body count in all my episodes because there's something wrong with me, and we're up to four at this point.
Speaker 2: Wait, only four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that I found in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've done so many episodes.
Speaker 3: This episode only in this episode, that's okay, It's like, yeah, yeah, well, that's you've only.
Speaker 2: Found four the entire time you've been on for over a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's just the fact that someone dies of TB in every episode I do. In this episode, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you for the entirety of the seasons?
Speaker 1: No, because some of them are you need to, Although I keep bringing this up because I'm just really excited about it. The first a Manda get the first trans man to get gender firming surgery in the United States, and like at all that we know of, went on to save millions of people from TB by revolutionizing the way that we screened for TV. Name was Alan Hart, cool with fewer caveats. Alan Hart was just great, all right, so I like it. Alec Bell he starts hanging out with young Helen Keller and she's like seven something. Sorry, not even seven yet, I think at this point, and he's like, Hey, go talk to the Perkins Institute for the Blind. That's where you're going to find your answers. So Bridgman, Laura Bridgeman is still there, she lives there, she's hanging out and the school Perkins was like, oh, we have this twenty year old student who just graduated. Anne Sullivan she could go help you, and this started a fifty year friendship between Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. Anne considered not taking the job because of Helen's family's connections to, you know, treating humans like chattel, but she ends up taking the job and the world is probably better off for that. Helen refers to March fifth, eighteen eighty seven as her soul's birthday. When Anne showed up, immediately she started teaching Helen words by writing them in her hand, and the first thing she handed Helen was a doll and then spelled out the word doll in her hand. This didn't work right, the first attempt, of course didn't work. But a thing that makes me happy about this is that I know at some point Helen wound up with a doll from Laura Bridgeman, with clothes that Laura herself had hands sewn for the doll. And so I really like the idea that seven year old Helen's first words that she was shown was the representation of this gift of love from someone who had been through it before her, right, And it just like makes me happy.
Speaker 2: It does. But you know what I keep thinking about is the people who would gouge out the eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of their dolls. I'm sorry, no, no, it's a really striking image. I'm sorry, No, it's it's.
Speaker 2: I'm never gonna be invited. Whoa. Yeah, Like that's so sweet. But I keep thinking about the bad people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the children right here, and you're just me that.
Speaker 2: I just go real dark. Anyway, keep it alight, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 1: So it took her about a month for this to for her to get it to go from like mimicry to understanding. And this breakthrough event has been made famous everywhere in the world. And which is that she spelled out the word water while running water from a fountain over Helen's hand, and basically, you know, Helen Keller's like, oh shit, this is a thing that represents this other thing. Fuck yeah, teach me all the things that represent other things. And she just hits the ground running. There's a there's a statue at the US Capital of Helen at the water fountain, and I don't know, it's like, it's funny to me because she's this revolutionary socialist and there's a statue of her at the Capitol that said she did meet every US president She's just actually that fucking famous, right, And this is how people ignore her life is that she is immortalized in bronze in the US capital when she's seven years old, when she first learns how to speak, not what she learned how to say to most of the world. Her story stops as soon as she can read and write and communicate. The cool thing is done. Story over. Little girl overcomes adversity through hard work and friendship. National hero No notes, what people don't like talking about is what she actually said. And there's another problem with stopping the story of Helen Keller when she was a child. People in fantilize people with disabilities fucking constantly. I want to quote a black disability, writes lawyer named Haben Germa from an interview that she did with Time magazine. Quote. Since society only portrays Helen Keller as a little girl, a lot of people subconsciously learn to infantilize disabled adults. And I've been treated like a child. Many disabled adults have been treated like children. That makes it difficult to get a job, to be treated with respect, to get good quality education and healthcare as an adult. So yeah, the story does not stop when she's seven or eight years.
Speaker 2: Old, and that story that we know really just kind of highlights and Sullivan more than Helen Keller's achievements, as well as the fact that thinking about the fact that she learned a language like that in a month, Yeah, that's incredible. Yeah, I'm trying to relearn a language now and it's not working well.
Speaker 1: She she learned that language was what was happening in a month, right, But the.
Speaker 2: Fact she could really get into it, the fact that there's like this correlation that it actually happened, and of course she builds up, but this whole level is like, yeah, as a child, I remember trying to learn English and it took me six months, and I you know, with all of the different things, like she had an incredible achievement and she was they do they make it. They set it up to be as if she was incapable to begin with, and that whole level again they being the story right right, the story. Yeah, but then you look at the levels like, wow, this is more than just your typical of like I taught something to this and this person was so great that they were able to teach them. It was her abilities to do that. It's like that that takes away from her story a little bit.
Speaker 1: I feel like, no, that makes a lot of sense, and it also weirdly also leads out leaves out the larger context of because when it gets presented as like the first deaf blind person to learn to communicate, which is a lie, one of the things that gets left out is literally this lineage where Laura like lived with Anne, you know, and like it's like we stand on the shoulders of giants, like we create things because we as a society learn things. And and I don't mean to take away from Helen's achievements by saying this, you know, it's like it's all of this stuff. And so yeah, when she was seven or eight, not long after Anne showed up, the two moved up north and Helen attended the Perkins Institute for the Blind, then bounced around to a couple of schools for the deaf. She went to New York for a minute for a school to the deaf, Then she went to a regular high school for a while, as I can tell, And then she did the this was when I was speed running a little bit this part. Then she did the thing that she's famous for, which is go to Harvard. Well, I mean, I don't of you knew this, but you can't have girls studying at Harvards shes a Radcliffe, the women's annex of Harvard.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm trying to, like because the storylines and what I know versus what like they don't match. I'm like, oh, oh.
Speaker 1: No, tell me, tell me. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: No no, no no no, meaning like because of the way that it's framed, you think it's so far back past, but it really and then at the same time, like it my timeline is off, is what I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, Oh I see yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. She goes. She goes to Radcliffe, which is the women's annex of Harvard where they quarantine all the cooties. And the rich philanthropist guy who paid for her education was someone that she met through her good pal Mark Twain. I can't remember what episode we talked about Mark Twain on. He is complicated. She's very good at being friends with complicated folks. The rich guy, his name is Henry Huddleston Rogers. He's an oil magnate who invented the oil pipeline. Thanks Henry Huddleston Rogers. He was half evil capitalist and half progressive reformer, and not just with having paid for Helen. He like did a lot of work of I can't remember where they funded. I can't remember what he funded. He funded a bunch of stuff. I don't know they were good stuff. Now he's fucking he invented the oil pipeline. Was a millionaire, cool people he is not.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, did Helen not come from a rich family.
Speaker 1: Oh, she came from a rich family, but I think that there's probably like rich family money. Like Also, some of the ways it's described is that her family wealth was like kind of shot by the fact that they got their asses kicked by trying to have an unjust war, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I know they didn't lose a lot, but apparently it wasn't enough to get not a lot lot okay, okay, yeah a lot, not a lot lot, and I feel not enough. Yeah, they still had money, yeah, instead.
Speaker 1: Of like giving it all to the people who had literally built all.
Speaker 2: Of their wealth, right, I mean, they didn't get in prison, they still had their land.
Speaker 1: I know exactly. They did fucking fine. They did a little too fine. They were fine. Yeah, so yeah, no, so so Helen Keller goes to college, becomes the first deaf blind person to get a bachelor's degree, and her time at Harvard in like one version of the story. There's so many versions of the story and a lot of At this point you get into multiple versions of the story that are all kind of true. Although before we get into those stories, I want to tell the story about the person who didn't have any goods or services and was very sad.
Speaker 2: And then I need these goods and service like.
Speaker 1: A yeah, like a shiny city on the hill. There were goods and there were services, and they were offered at competitive prices. God, all right, there's some advertisement. Yes, thanks, and we're back. And Margaret is dealing with the complexity of having to come up with some other clever way to point out the complexity of pointing out ads. Oh yeah, four times a week.
Speaker 2: Perfect, So we just ignore them.
Speaker 1: No, that's completely fair. I kind of like, like, I just think it's like funny to be like, eh, you know, yeah, roun here come the ads. I don't know whatever.
Speaker 2: I feel like y'all have a lot more space, I guess, freedom to do with the ads than we do, because I don't know if I've ever told you this, Sophie. After I got done with Behind the Bastards, and we know how Robert likes to introduce the ads, and he got an email from a listener who came to listen to our show was criticizing her for not doing the same thing as a Robert for the ad breaks. And she was like, what he hell, I wasn't even on that show.
Speaker 3: God, get fucking life that you track down a host of a podcast to complain that they're not doing ad transitions in the same way as a as a comedic history podcast like come the Rock on.
Speaker 2: Or like we have a whole different standard when it comes to our podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But yes, Margaret, you're doing a great job. And I joined every single one of them.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, why I get paid the big bucks. I don't actually write the scripts. All I do is the ad transitions.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Ye that would be easy, man, I have such an easy life anyway.
Speaker 2: So coming back.
Speaker 1: To yeah, her time at Harvard, her time at Cooties, Harvard gets presented at as this like great accomplishment, this huge place of learning and wonder of fucking Hogwarts or whatever, And this is not how Helen Keller what Helen Keller had to say about it. In nineteen sixteen, in an article in the New York Tribune, she talks about how she learned how society creates disability, how reading HG. Wells and Karl Marx opened her up to understanding how human suffering and often disability, was created by capitalism. The interviewer asked her, and all of this had to come after you left college. Did you get none of this knowledge of life at college? Her answer is no. Like the interviewer goes on at length about how emphatic this no is, college isn't the place to go for any ideas, She said about her teachers, they did not teach me about things as they are today, or about the vital problems of the people. They taught me Greek drama and Roman history. They celebrated the achievements of war rather than those of the heroes of peace. For instance, there were a dozen chapters on war where there were a few paragraphs about the inventors. And it is this over emphasis on the cruelties of life that breeds the wrong ideal. Education taught me that it was a finer thing to be a Napoleon than to create a new potato. This is where I should have done the ad break with potato. I know, really fucked that one up. Yeah, golden potato.
Speaker 2: Golden potatoes. Wait, the school zone people have an obsession with potatoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a thing for a while.
Speaker 5: Just me and MagPi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, potatoes, I just think they're neat.
Speaker 2: I mean, I agree with you. Potatoes are delicious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gold gold potatoes are great.
Speaker 1: Yeahm hmm yeah. Fan of the fan of the potato. Helen Keller also said quote in the same interview, it is my nature to fight as soon as I see wrongs to be made right. So after I reld Red Wells and Marks and learned what I did, I joined a socialist brand. I made up my mind to do something, and the best thing seemed to be joining to join a fighting party and help their propaganda. That was four years ago. I have become an industrialist. Since the interview is shocked by this. They're like, quote, an industrialist, I asked, surprised out of composure. You don't mean an IWW A syndicalist, she said. I became an IWW, an industrial worker of the world. I became an IWW because I found out the Socialist Party was too slow. It is sinking into the political bog. It is almost, if not quite impossible for the party to keep its revolutionary character so long as it occupies a place under the government and seeks office under it. The government does not stand for the interests of the Socialist Party is supposed to represent. The true task is to unite and organize all workers on an economic basis. And it is the workers themselves who must secure freedom for themselves, who must grow strong. Nothing can be gained by political action. This is why I became and IWW so, yeah, this is not That's not the Hell and Keller that they like talking about.
Speaker 2: No again though, I think, as you said, as many people said, they kept her as a child, so you like, really really that's where you think the story ends and realizing ah, yeah, she has some thoughts, Yeah, great thoughts.
Speaker 1: She has twelve books, something like four hundred essays and like wow, lectures and stuff that she wrote because after college she started looking around and seeing what was wrong with society, and she wrote. She also wrote openly about the fact that she owed her success to class privilege. Because there is something that you're reading all of this and you're always like, yeah, of course it's not. She accomplished an amazing thing, a lot of amazing things, but a lot of them were accomplished because her family came from money, right, and they came from fucking dirty money, and she just wrote openly about that. She joined the Wobblies in nineteen twelve and she wrote the IWW and she wrote for the newspaper for years discussing, among other things, the fact that disability was caused by social conditions. She meant that in a fairly literal way as compared to more of the modern social construction, although people also sometimes refer to some of her writing as a precursor to the social construction model. To quote her, I was appointed on a commission to investigate the conditions of the blind for the first time. I, who had thought blindness and misfortune beyond human control, found that too much of it was traceable to wrong industrial conditions, often caused by the selfishness and greed of employers, and the social evil contributed its share. I found that poverty drove women to a life of shame that ended in blindness. And this is her talking about sex work and syphilis causing blindness. Speaking of complicated politics. So Helen Keller she just kind of did everything. She walked picket lines, She toured around the world talking about socialism and disability. She joined vaudeville for five years. And this is kind of interesting. It's like what we were talking about with Laura, where people would come and see her as this entertainment thing. But Helen chose this like this is the read that I've gotten from the people I've read talking about this is that this was like kind of more of a reclaiming of her stories again in the way I've seen it presented, where her act on vaudeville was her and Anne would go up and she'd take about twenty minutes to like describe her condition and stuff right and what had happened, and it's sort of side showy, and then answer questions from the audience. But I really should have written some of them down. When she answers questions for the audience, it's just full of snark and she's kind of a stand up comic really like, yeah, she's funny as hell, and she's just like, I don't know, I really should have written them down, and now I feel guilty that I didn't. And so she did vaudeville and liked it a lot. And really I think she liked playing the crowds and stuff like that. And they only stopped when Anne, basically Anne's health like kind of stopped making that easy. She traveled to dozens of countries. She learned five languages, far more than I've ever learned. Frankly, she tried to overthrow capitalism. She flew a plane once. This is one of the things that gets used as an example of, like clearly Helen Keller's fake is that she claims to have flown a plane. It was a pr stunt. They went up into an aircraft with her in the co pilot's seat, and then she took the controls for a little while once the flight was stabilized. Yeah, that's more flying than I've ever fucking done.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I would never.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she got into Christian mysticism. I wanted to learn more about this. I always wish I had twice as much time for every subject. She wrote twelve books. She also her first like published or the first short story stuff that she wrote with science fiction. That's when she was little, but it ended up getting published because who she is.
Speaker 2: I think she wrote this when she was little. Yeah, she wrote a science so it was good enough. They wanted to publish it later. But I think I think they wanted to publish it later once she was famous. That's that's my best Okay, so using her name, it's.
Speaker 1: My read but I don't know. I didn't read it.
Speaker 2: Go read it right now, Okay, go do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll come back, and we're back and I haven't read it, and no time has passed, all right. And then here's the most complicated thing that I'm like confused as shit by, that no one talks about in her like list of things. Is this song that she wrote the lyrics for in nineteen seventeen called Uncle Sam is Calling. It's a patriotic song about how everyone should join the army to fight in World War One. What this does not map to anything I know about her and what she's actively doing as activism in this time period. I don't know what's up with this. I wrote it, No, I am not sure. I am sure it is attributed to her. It is attributed to her and not some other Helen Keller. I think it is possible, and I am not saying this is a truthful thing because I don't know. I think it's possible that they slapped her name on it because she's right right.
Speaker 2: Was she somewhere near a vicinity of someone saying something and said one word and then they were like, she wrote a song?
Speaker 1: You know. I don't know, but it's a uncle Sam's calling is a jingoistic like, let's all go fight.
Speaker 2: Did she get royalties? I don't know, like they're going to attribute that to her. Shouldn't she get some money?
Speaker 1: I yeah, maybe she just did it as a like blatant I need some money, or like there's another I have another theory. I'll get to you in a second about it, but okay, okay. Other stuff she did, she spoke out about against racism, like regularly. She donated a ton of money to the NAACP, and in nineteen twenty she helped found the ACLU, the American Civil Liberties Union, alongside future friends of the pod who I have not gotten to talk about yet but I want to, the social worker Jane Adams and the Wobbly and birth control activist Elizabeth Gurley Flynn. The ACO was formed in response to the Palmer raids, which were we've mentioned a couple times on the show. It's the kind of first red scare, the little red scare before the bigger one. Wasn't little to the people who lives were ruined by it, which is when anarchists and communists were swept up and deported for protesting against the war, which she'd written a patriotic song for. I don't know. Here's what she said about war and revolution. Quote, I am not for peace at all hazards. I regret this war, but I never regretted the blood of the thousands spilled during the French Revolution. Generals testify to the splendid initiative the workers and the trenches take. If they can do that for their masters, you can be sure they will do it for themselves when they've taken matters into their own hands. My cause will emerge from the trenches stronger than it ever was. Under the obvious battle waging there. There's an invisible battle for the freedom of man. So here's my other theory that I am not convinced by. Maybe she wrote that song to be like, everyone go fight in World War One so that you all learn how to fight, so you can come back and like have a revolution.
Speaker 2: I would, I mean, that's an interesting. I get the idea that we all need to be prepared things go down, and for those who are not high on the social economic status level and need to protect, especially against those who have too much power, too much money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Guessing that's where she was coming. But then like to turn that into World War Yeah, confusion about uncle especially loving Uncle Sam when she's actively not loving.
Speaker 1: I know, Uncle Sam, I know, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: So many so many does she ever claim it or the name was just on it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she claimed it. There is so much written about her, and I read a lot about her, but this was like a last minute I'm like looking through her like works attributed to her, I'm like, Uncle Sam is calling. And I fell into a rabbit hole looking it up. And then I was just like does this line up?
Speaker 2: I'm there right now, I'm like what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you find the sheet music? I didn't. I almost was like, I'm going to put it in a Midian play it for the audience. I'm like, I'm not going to do this to anyone.
Speaker 2: I kind of wished you would sing a stanza.
Speaker 1: Oh I can't. It's funny. I'm like, actually terrible at I see the guitar in the back notation. No, I'm bad at taking notation and like singing it right. No, I yeah, I got you, I got you. I consider myself a competent but not amazing musician.
Speaker 2: I think you're great. It works.
Speaker 1: Thanks you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you were in a band, a bunch of bands. I just remember. Yeah, hell, you're a musician, come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but I just I would have to very slowly take the notation and like look at it and be like, okay, face facee okay, so this one's between this one and this one. That's how I I So that's the work here.
Speaker 5: That you tricked me into singing on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did that go?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 5: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, I'm Margaret, I know, I just myself right now.
Speaker 1: I need ear.
Speaker 2: We're just mixing everybody.
Speaker 5: Else anyone's name wrong.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's true.
Speaker 1: Are you true?
Speaker 2: You're the best, Margaret. I'm gonna need that to come back if I come next year, you le learn what I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to learn. I have to learn. Uncle Sam, Yeah, yeah, that's clearly I'll learn. Battle him in the Republic. I kind of let's go die to free people. It's like, that's that's my vibe. No, I mean, you know, lots of complications there, but whatever, all right, Oh, and then speaking of complix she ends the interview when she's talking about the war and stuff. She ends this interview by comparing herself to future friend of the podcast, Joan of Arc And for most people, I'd be like less a little much, but this is Helen Keller, right, it's fine, Like, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Maybe she thought she was going down that path being a socialist and like the red scared.
Speaker 1: It's really true, honestly, she like, I mean everyone during this time was like, we're gonna have a revolution. This isn't. Yeah, capitalism is gonna fall under the weight of its own contradictions. Like, so back to the ACLU. The other big issue right off the bat for the ACOU, besides the Palmer raids, was defending the NAACP. And so that is like what she's up to with her time, right, the ACOU has gone on to fight for basically everything good. Now, let's talk about the fact that she also worked with her dear friend Alexander Graham Bell in advance of some of his theories like around oralism and eugenics. Those talk about Alan Caller's eugenics.
Speaker 2: So wait, she actually worked in agreement with oralism.
Speaker 1: Okay, so people, the way that I've read about it is that she like more or less agreed with Alexander Graham Bell's general camp around this stuff. And people claim that she has some like she talks sometimes about how like, blindness is fine, but deafness is what sucks. And I am not in a position to you know, but like it's it's a thing that has been very frustrating to lots of people, and so like, overall, she seems to be very heavily influenced by Alexander Graham Bell and continues to be friends with him his entire life. And the thing that we know about her in eugenics is in nineteen fifteen, there was a eugenesis doctor I can't remember his name, fuck him. He left an infant to die because of its disabilities. This spark controversy. Helen Keller wrote in his defense. She wrote an article in The New Republic in nineteen fifteen that included support for an infanticide in the case of a quote poor Misshape and paralyzed unthinking creature and that it quote seems to me that the simplest, wisest thing to do would be to submit cases like that of the malformed idiot baby to a jury of expert physicians. They would only act in case of true idiocy, where there could be no hope of mental development. Yes, bad.
Speaker 2: There's so much outdated language in that, and I know it was used at that point. Everything makes me cringed.
Speaker 1: Though I know, I know, Yeah, it's not good, it's actively bad. This is the only specific pro eugenic statement she's ever been on record saying that anyone comes up with when people talk about this, right, but it is a big one. It is not subtle. Later in her life, people sort of claim she walked it back, and I'm going to push back against that. Later in life, in nineteen thirty eight, she made several statements that on some level contradict her nineteen fifteen statement, talking very explicitly she did not believe that people should kill babies for being blind or whatever. People use this later statement to say that she'd walk back to the eugenics. But to my understanding, the thing that she seems focused on is mental development. She seems to think that mental impairment is like actually bad as compared to her physical impairments, which are not actually bad. So I have no way of knowing or conceiving of whether in nineteen thirty eight she had actually changed her position on this or not. I do know that this is the only work she ever did in favor of eugenics, and she did multiple pieces of work against it, although those pieces of work against it were in the context of physical impairments.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah, the fact that it's also in defense of an act is kind of double waomy. I know, I'm not that anything is good, but you're like, oh, you're taking this example of a horrific act and saying, yeah, this is okay, Yes we can and justify it for later times. It's kind of like ah burns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is a period during which, like I mean, I think it was a couple of decades earlier, but it was like Alexander Graham Bell was like literally on a eugenicist board, like because every area had their eugenicist board, because the actual dark ages with the Victorian era. And I don't know, it's possible that this was a way that she felt in nineteen fifteen and not later. It's possible that she felt this way her entire life. I've run across a lot of seemingly contradiction positions in her writing in life, and I think that I think she's a person of great contradictions. Yeah, she's a socialist who backs Eugene Debs, the socialist candidate for president, but meets with every president during her life, you know. And she also so she lived her life in the limelight, and she fundraised constantly for people with disabilities, especially the American Foundation for the Blind. And one take I've heard is that the sanitized version of her life, the sort of miracle worker version of her life, was something that she also pushed later in her life because it was a really good fundraising method. Yeah, the like, oh, I'm just a simple girl, learned to read, isn't that great, played well with crowds, and brought in the dough to help disabled people.
Speaker 2: You work with what you got, Yep.
Speaker 1: Fucking complicated And speaking of complicated interactions of money, do I have to do the thing again? Here's the thing where we here's some advertisers, and we're back and we're talking about how complicated it was. She met with every president, even though she supported you know, the overthrow, the violent overthrow of the United States government, of which she wanted to be a joan of ARC figure leading.
Speaker 2: So did she just meet them because they asked her to meet them, or was she advocating for something? Or is she just like I'm just going to the White House because I'm cool.
Speaker 1: I'm actually not sure. I would guess that it was probably part of her activism and like maintaining a high profile in order to be more effective, But I don't know. And one thing that happened to her a whole bunch, though, is whenever she would like, whenever she was like doing the good disabled person thing, the newspapers would be like, Helen Keller are the wonderful world. And then whenever she would say some like socialist shit, they would stop saying like, Wow, she's so brave and smart to have overcome so much, and instead all the newspapers would like, for a while, be like, she's clearly mentally impaired by her disabilities, that she's saying these things.
Speaker 2: You know, she's not all She's not competition.
Speaker 1: She became friends with the complicated alumni of the Pod Charlie Chaplin.
Speaker 4: Yep, A, sorry, yeah, that's the reaction. I'm sorry, fair, okay, keep going respectfully understood.
Speaker 1: To say he is not a good feminist would be a minor hyperbole understatement. Yeah, the FBI tracked her every move because of course they did, because she's of course they did.
Speaker 5: Those fucking piece of ship ghouls Jesus.
Speaker 2: But she wrote the song Uncles. I know, that's not that's not gonna leave my head. I'm like, if I write a song like that, will everyone like, well the FED stop? Well no, now we know we know the answers. Yeah, unless they credit her after her death, which would have been sixty.
Speaker 1: I don't think it is because the PDF music, you know, World War One. Yeah, yeah, it's like old timey sheet music.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, of course they of course they fucking tracked her, right, yeah, god damn it.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I know. It's like it would have been so interesting what if she had been alive, like ten years longer. Yeah, Like how she would have interacted with the seventies. You know, although it does seem like in a lot of ways, her like social her like she she did step back from a lot of the radical politics and just moved towards fundraising and a more sanitized version of her own image as she aged. She fell in love once when she was thirty six years old, with a socialist who knew how to fingerspell. Yeah, yeah he did. And his name was Peter Fagan.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: He showed up to transcribe for her when Anne was sick one time.
Speaker 2: And want to put quotes on transcribe fling.
Speaker 1: It's kind of sad they made plans to Elope, but to quote author Kim Nielsen, Kelly's family quote vigorously squashed the relationship with forced midnight train trips out of town, an angry and gun waving brother, and drama worthy of a bad novel.
Speaker 2: These people, man, what the I mean that kind of that tracks? I feel on that track. I mean, that's what Brian Kibb does for his ads. So of course, yeah, slave owners would do that, yeah, slave people, yes, which would Yeah. But I do wonder so if if she was doing all these things about socialism and conversations about that, I'm assuming her parents really hated that.
Speaker 1: I wish I knew. It's like again, it's like there's like annoyed that. I Like, there's so many versions of her story, and that's that there's so much that people do and don't talk about. Yeah, and people do know this when I'm a I wish I knew. It doesn't mean like it's unknown to history. It means that like I don't know, right, you know. Yeah, Yeah, she gave into her family's disapproval of the wedding in a heartbreaking way where she basically was like, oh, yeah, they're right, no man will ever love me or whatever she wrote once, I can't imagine a man wanting to marry me. I should think it would seem like Mary in a statue.
Speaker 2: Ah, just bad parents. We know this in general.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and it's.
Speaker 5: That's genuinely soul crushing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised, like she didn't have friends or people will be like, yeah you should, they're great unless he was a bad guy. You never you never know, but like, yeah, it seems like as many friends as she had, that's on the outlier you would think that someone.
Speaker 1: So I think Ann Selvan also didn't approve of the match, and I don't know like why, and I I mean they were, I mean Ann Sullivan and Helen Collor were very close. I'm actually I'm usually always trying to be like historically close friends. I'm actually not trying to historically close friends Helen Keller and Ann Sullivan.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, that's a first for you.
Speaker 1: I know what. My Google search historate does have some phrases and questions about whether or not this is a thing. But it actually seems like they were historically close friends. But not in a euphemistic way. But I suspect that, like I suspect that their their relationship there was felt threatened, you know, hmmmm mm hmm. But and there were other there were other caretakers and other companions in Helen's life. Anne Sullivan, her lifelong companion, died in nineteen thirty six at the age of seventy while Helen held her hand, and then she herself lived till June first, nineteen sixty eight. She died in her sleep at home. She was eighty seven years old, and her ashes were placed next to Anne Sullivan's and next to one of her other companions who didn't end up enough in the script for me to add another name to try and remember.
Speaker 2: Awful there, Oh that's so sad, and yeah, and she never like she wanted.
Speaker 1: To be fucking eighty seven and did like amazing shit. She went to more countries but more languages, did more shit than like. And it's like the thing that I really like when I was trying to decide, when I was like, am I gonna do a Helen Keller episode? As I was like, would I do a Helen Keller episode anyway? Just based on like being a badass socialist and shit, and like I might, I would have all been framed very differently. And I don't mean to erase the fact that she was disabled, right right, but I she did amazing shit and not just like on its own face. I don't know I'm trying to say here, but I don't think the story of Helen Keller ends with her death. I've read several accounts from folks deaf blind or deaf blind to talk about living in her shadow, about resenting her and then grappling with her legacy because of the way that her story has been told. And I know I keep bringing this up, but this is like a thing that has been really messy and a thing that is people have done with her legacy her whole life. Her story was larger than life, and her death did nothing to diminish that. But the story about disability too often starts and ends with her, So I want to point some other stuff out too. In nineteen ninety, the Americans with Disabilities Act the ADA was passed. This bill basically says you can't discriminate against people with disabilities and employers have to make reasonable accommodations for people. This didn't come out of nowhere. The government wasn't just like, man, let's be good today. I feel like we've been doing a bunch of bad. Why don't we just like do some good?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: It's like not how governments work. I'm hoping I'll come back to this topic with more info and details. But some of the people who fought this in the nineteen seventies, a group called ADAPT started. This is me come in full circle back to acronyms. Yeah, this because it actually is a word. This is an actual acronym.
Speaker 2: This is an actual acronym.
Speaker 1: On like c PW.
Speaker 2: Just make it a word?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: Because? All right? Originally ADAPT stood for Americans Disabled for Accessible Public Transit. They're a non violent direct action organization. They're still around. On July fifth, nineteen seventy eight, in Denver, they blocked public buses with their wheelchairs and spent all night in the streets in front of these buses, preventing them from moving. And they started doing this all over the place, blocking public buses because of their inaccessibility, and sometimes they would crawl up into the bus for dramatic effect. On March twelfth, the most famous of their actions took place. There was a protest called the Capital Crawl, organized by Adapt. The ADA was being stalled. Business lobbyists were like, we don't want to pay money to help people, and the evangelical right was like, we don't want anyone to help those ichy homos who are dying of AIDS. So out of a crowd of thousand people or so in front of the Capital, sixty protesters abandoned their mobility aids and climbed and crawled their way up the eighty three stone steps to the Capitol. The youngest of these protesters was an eight year old named Jennifer Keelan Chaffins. She later went on to write a children's book about it all called All the Way Up to the Top. And there were other actions too. I think more than one hundred activists were arrested after chaining themselves together in the rotunda in the big central room of the Capitol, and it gets presented, and I don't have a counter argument that this kind of drawing, this attention shamed people into action, right and actually getting their shit together to get the eighty eight passed. So on July twenty sixth, nineteen ninety the bill was signed into law. And these days ADAPT seems to be focused more on medicaid and pushing for people that have access to personal care attendants rather than nursing homes. And I guess, like everything we talk about on the show, the shit isn't over. We want to keep the moving come. We want to keep the conversation moving forward, but sometimes we get stuck and having to say really simple things like yes, deafblind people can communicate with the world. Helen Keller was a real person. What the fuck is wrong with you all? And that's Helen Keller, a badass socialist who should never be simplified one dimensionally. Who's complicated?
Speaker 2: Oh complicated, Helen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you got? You got takeaways?
Speaker 2: Or me? Yeah, Sophie, no, until who you're looking at? Oh me? Yeah, there's so many takeaways. I definitely didn't know her history in socialism. I definitely stopped with the young age story again. Yeah, really problematic, really problematic play that we did. But yeah, that's really fascinating. But then, yeah, her her friends, her crew of friends also interesting. I'm very, very very confused about the song.
Speaker 1: I am too, really confused. Someone is going to message me three years from now on Instagram in my DMS and explain the song and they're not going to tell me what they're talking about, and I won't remember because they won't say anything about what episode it was. That's how it goes, right, Yeah, we did it yesterday when when they explained the context, I will then be happy because I want to know what the fuck was going on with the song.
Speaker 2: Right, there's so many things. I'm really sad that she didn't have that. I wonder if that dude was bad though. Maybe that dude was bad, maybe just trying to riot on her hotels and try to come in on her fame or something good. Suffinitely, I hate that she fell away. Yeah, I hate that she felt that way though. That really my feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he does seem to like disappear from her life after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's too compact.
Speaker 1: I hope he doesn't just like bury in a shallow grave by some fucking you.
Speaker 2: Took it dark this time, I didn't say that that's true.
Speaker 5: This is cool people who did cool stuff. As a reminder to myself, I.
Speaker 1: Know, I think sometimes this show is Margaret explores people who are presented as cool, proposed.
Speaker 5: To be in the podcast. That makes me feel better about the world back bye.
Speaker 2: But like that, here's the thing in everything with good intentions, they're still like they're human. So you never know because as a child, I definitely as a younger person in my younger in my youth, in my youth, I definitely have made problematic comments, not understanding and not growing. So when you have moments like that, and if you become famous and then you start getting really really studied and like people start digging ship up, yeah it gets it's gross. So you can never and there's never anyone who is perfect.
Speaker 1: Sophie.
Speaker 2: Of course Sophie, but that's yeah, that's why we're from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one's actually perfect. No one can see Sophie. But Sophie is actually one of those biblical representations of angels, just like the like lots of eyes on floating rings.
Speaker 2: You know, you're you're you're going real. Okay, you're going real in this frightening angel. I was like, oh she's got a halo. Oh no, no, okay, we're.
Speaker 1: Not afraid kind of angel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thou not afraid with a bunch of eyes. Come on now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's Sophie. But that's separate then, like people, that's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, but yes, I thank you so much for bringing this because I did not know half this information. I was very fascinated with her in my high school days, and now to know all of this, she does seem cooler. Yeah, complicated, but cooler.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I I feel like usually I end these research this research period with like I've cracked it. I think I understand this person, you know, love that there's just still mysteries here for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of mysteries.
Speaker 1: And I think that in some ways that's like kind of cool, like people just like actually contain multitudes and people do a lot of different things and fuck yeah, like the different things that you do. Mean you like that transition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's complicated is because we are on zoom, I can't tell if you're talking to me or Sophie. So I'm like, for me, who's the cool person because I would not say that was me. But I am on a podcast called Stuff Mom Never Told You, which we do talk about intersectional feminism. We have a whole conversation about so many different things that apply to that. We are on all of the social media's other either under stuff Mom Never Told You or mom Stuff because we had to pick something and it sounds like we're a mom podcast. We are not sorry. We also have a book coming out in August. You can pre order it on stuff you Should Read dot com and it's called Stuff Mom Never Told You, The Feminist Past, Present, and Future, where we talk about different things that happened in history, not all the things because there's too many things, with some cute illustrations and such. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to see that book. I the mine it for podcast topics.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, what's so funny. It's the first podcast I did with you, episode about the Jaine Collective. I had just finished writing that chapter for that book, which is why I was so like, ah, this is amazing. I couldn't say it at that point because we were just starting the project, but I had finished that chapter and then you brought it to me and it was like, oh my god, here we go. Yeah, very fitting you. You You predicted so many things, right, Sophie.
Speaker 1: What do you got? Plug?
Speaker 5: Just follow at cool Zone Media and Instagram and Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can follow me on the internet at Twitter for now, at Magpie Killjoy on Instagram where I post pictures of my dog at Margaret Kiljoy. And the bands that were referenced is I'm in a feminist black metal band called Femina's School, just my token reference for the day. And I'm also in a bunch of other bands, but I'll pick another one as I'm an electro pop duo called The Lave. We put out a three song demo and I really like it.
Speaker 2: Hellow yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's They're on band camp and you can. They're also on like Spotify and stuff, which is cool. I like when people like my music. But if you go to band camp, there's like ways to give me money instead of Spotify's like point zero zero four cents or whatever. And we will be back next week with more. Let's get ready to cool people who did it's a did it?
Speaker 5: Oh oh oh? We gotta do it again, my boxing and announcement One more time.
Speaker 2: Before I go Yeah, one more time before I go Sophie, Please please for.
Speaker 5: You, Samantha.
Speaker 3: And next week we'll be back with another episode of Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff.
Speaker 5: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website
Speaker 3: Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.