Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Hope you had a great weekend. Ready to go?
Speaker 2: Todd is here, Paul, he's here, Marvin's here, and a guest, Danett. It's Dylan the graphics guy. Are gambler from Dan Patrick takes a gamble. He's in the chair. Seating is out today and tomorrow. Dylan will handle the poll responsibilities, the pole question responsibilities and anything that you would like to add from the first hour poll question and what are you going to go with an hour two?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, Well, for our one we had who had the best weekend? Gino Smith has zero votes?
Speaker 5: He didn't get one vote from going to the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Huh not one?
Speaker 5: Okay, then vote yues.
Speaker 4: People aren't that high on the Raiders either.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: But for hour two, kind of going off the Miles Garrett topic, true or false? Miles Garrett is only interested in getting the bag, not a ring. This is a Todd.
Speaker 5: I can't do it where it's one or the other. Like is he interested?
Speaker 2: Yes, he's interested in the money. But do I think that he wanted to go elsewhere?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 2: I just don't think that they got offers. Maybe they didn't even entertain offers, so he has to save face. Now take care of me. I guess i'll they had once again, they had to give Deshaun Watson a deal that he couldn't refuse. He ruled out the Cleveland Browns. I think he wanted to go to Atlanta, but he ruled them out, and then they said, what if we give you two hundred and thirty million dollars guaranteed? All of a sudden, he wants to go to the Cleveland Browns. Miles Garrett is going to go from Cleveland to Canton to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Do I think that he wanted to play meaningful games? Yes? I do.
Speaker 2: Now you go back, but this is you weren't a good team last year with him. I think that they should have still. Now you don't want to give him away, but you have to be opened. I just think that that's it's being irresponsible as a GM to at least listen. Now you might say, no, we told him we weren't trading him. That's how much he means to us. Okay, you don't mean as much to him as he means to you because he wanted to leave.
Speaker 5: But I get that that you're going to be loyal. We can't.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be the GM who signed to Shan Watson and traded Miles Garrett. I understand that, but you'll owe it to your franchise, your fan base to at least explore and the teams that are going to be interested in trading for him. Could be Philadelphia, could have been Washington, could be Detroit. These are all good teams. They may give you three first round picks. I think they were looking maybe for four where you're gonna get a Herschel Walker deal.
Speaker 5: I don't think so. So now what do you do? You got Miles Garrett? Great?
Speaker 2: Now, what Nick Chubb's not going to be there? Who's your quarterback? Jamis Winston wide receiver?
Speaker 5: Like? What do you have here? I mean, is that your tune in factor? Hey? We got Miles Garrett.
Speaker 2: Okay, you guys got dominated last year.
Speaker 5: The defense got dominated. Okay, he's going to give you fifteen sacks? Great?
Speaker 2: Now, what happens on all the other plays and when the offense is on the field, It just you're gonna get out from underneath the Sean Watson's contract. Now, you just spend forty million dollars on a defensive player you need help. I just think it's irresponsible for the Browns to put out a statement that says we're not trading him and then not field calls. What happens if somebody says we'll give you and then you go, oh, Like there could be one of those moments there. But you could even say to Miles Garrett, hey, we tried. We just didn't get an offer that we thought was commensurate to your talent.
Speaker 5: You're going to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: We would hate to give you up, but only if it helps our franchise moving, you know, in the next decade, like in the right direction. And they didn't get that opportunity. A lot of times we overestimate what somebody's going to bring in return. Where you go, oh, they traded this guy and they got a fifth round draft pick. Wow, well they gave up that guy. They got a fourth round draft pick in twenty twenty eight, Like you just a lot of it is take them, they cost too much money and we want something in return. And I think that's what happens a lot of times. DeVante Adams going to the Rams, I think is a great MOVI great move Seattle. I don't know what they're doing, but I'll give that front office the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 5: They make good decisions. Do I want Gino Smith?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: But will I take him over the other quarterbacks that I have? Yes, he is an.
Speaker 2: Older quarterback, above average quarterback, but he gives us a little more stability. Are they still going to draft a quarterback? Are they going to draft Ashton Genty? That's what I was told over the weekend. And is this a Tom Brady call? Like how much did Pete Carroll weigh in with Tom? I'm going to guess a lot to say, let's bring in Geno. I can bring out the best in him. And if you're Tom, you probably are going we got to find a franchise quarterback here like this, This is basically a two year situation for us and also the coaches that have to win now.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Pete Carroll at his age, wants to win now. Now he's joining a team that's not very good. I don't know if he looks at this and says, let's develop a quarterback over the next couple of years. I mean, Pete is the oldest coach in the NFL. You also have the Giants situation. Do you want to bring in a rookie quarterback for a coaching staff that may not make it to the second half of the season. Do you want to bring in Aaron Rodgers who does make you better but only makes you better for a year and that doesn't solve anything. I I'd rather grow with this and we might not be a competitive team. Maybe we have a good draft pick next year, Aaron Rodgers can come in and all of a sudden, it's you know, like putting ear rings on a pig.
Speaker 5: All right, still pig.
Speaker 2: That's the situation here with the Giants, the Jets, what are they doing?
Speaker 5: What's their quarterbacking situation? The Steelers?
Speaker 2: You start to look at these teams and you go, okay, there's only so many quarterbacks to go around here, you know. Do the Jets go, well, I don't know, let's take Justin Fields. Okay, what did the Giants do? You're going all in on cam Ward? Okay, good luck.
Speaker 5: What's Pittsburgh doing?
Speaker 2: You don't have a quarterback under contract, but you just brought in dk Metcalf Seattle Sam Donald, Like, what's plan B if you don't get Sam Darnald?
Speaker 5: What if the Colts.
Speaker 2: Say, you know what, we'd like to go after Sam Donald. We admit we made a mistake on Anthony Richardson. You got a team that can win and can win ten games. Now do I think Sam Donald is great?
Speaker 5: No? Do I think he played great? Yes?
Speaker 2: At times he did. The question would be what's he costing me?
Speaker 5: Sam Donald? Sixty million dollars?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Sam Donald forty five million? Okay, I can have a conversation here. But he's still under thirty? Is he still twenty seven? He's been twenty seven for about four years? Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I think he turns twenty eight. Oh, twenty nine, it's always I think he turns twenty nine in July.
Speaker 5: But well, Sam Darnold, he is twenty seven? Oh? Is he?
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 5: He gonna be twenty eight?
Speaker 7: Paul?
Speaker 9: Twenty eight in July. He's been twenty seven for eighteen months?
Speaker 5: How is it? That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you have these moves here and then all of a sudden it gets official here coming up at noon Eastern of who's going where? And then how's that set up for the draft? But yesterday was crazy the NFL over the weekend. Those are some big time moves. You got Josh Allen signing his contract extension. Metcalf goes to the Steeler, Davante to the Rams, Miles Garrett staying Gino Smith goes to the Rate. That's wild. See you got a twenty four hour span where all of a sudden, they go, let's see if we dominated the headlines a little while. No, we we haven't, commissioner, all right, we will today then eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter, Hindle at DP show. So we got our poll question, we'll give you our pasting works. So the weekend, Lebron got injured and I'm playing against the Celtics and Paulie when we came in today, Pauli goes, Lebron's injured groin is a good thing. I said, Okay, save it. I said, don't even tell me what you're thinking until the show, so I can react in real time. Here you go, Paulie, Lebron's groin injury is good for Lebron?
Speaker 5: Question Martin.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, this is the perfect timing for a guy like Lebron who's forty, who plays a lot. He plays a lot in games, and he plays a lot of games. He's not a load management guy like his other guy are. He's going to get a nice six game break here right before the playoffs. The other guys can get it together. No one's going to accuse him of sitting out. It's a real groin injury. I think he had like a sprain knee or something the year of the Bubble, and he missed like six or seven games in April or late March. If he can get a week and a half off, it's almost you know, I know, a groin injury can nag, But I think actually this is a benefit for the Lakers. Lebron gets a week off without any questions about why he's taking the week off. Luca can take over for a little bit. The other backup players can get a little more run. You go into the playoffs with at worst, probably the fourth seed. It's a good injury. Weirdly, you take bad take Okay, you're not viying it. I love it, well, I don't want it, but I like the byproduct of it.
Speaker 2: I guess the thing that would concern me is the type of injury that it is. Those things tend to stay. It's like a sprained ankle. They tend to stay they linger a little bit. That'd be the only thing that if you said, hey, Lebron's going to get some rest here, how's this effect you're seating That's really important. But also getting on a roll with Luca and I know you don't want to peak too soon, And it felt like, boy, this team is now championship caliber, which I do think they are, but I think they are when they play defense. I know it's a caveat an asterisk, but I have to put that in there healthy playing defense, and defense comes down to do you want to play defense? They are all athletes, great athletes. Do you want to play defense? Can JJ get them to play defense? And if he can with the firepower, then they're going to be a tough out. They can compete for a championship. But I think getting on that role, getting comfortable with the roles that you have, new roles that you have for some of these players. You know that to me can be that you know, we lost the opportunity when Lebron got hurt, that can we improve what's our matchup going to be in the playoffs? Who fits us better than some of these other teams? You might have a dangerous team at seven or eight, you run into that you can avoid, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I disagree completely.
Speaker 11: I think this is terrible for them because if they go on a six game scared, they're easily in the playing There are only four games out of the playing tournament, so if Lebron's not there and they lose five out of six, they could be where the Timberwolves are. And so now they got to play in the play in just to get into the regular playoffs. So hopefully Luca and those guys can, you know, try to at least stay above above water.
Speaker 5: I like that good take, bad take from the front row.
Speaker 8: Yes, Ton, That's what I was wondering too. Is that enough time that would throw up chemistry? I know he just got to the team recently, but a week or two could that it could become a problem for them, and it will take a while for them to get back into the group to get a Lebron and.
Speaker 5: Luca, I don't know, they seemed to be doing pretty good job.
Speaker 2: You know. It came back to Lebron makes he makes this work. Luca is not changing who he is. Lebron can change who he is in accordance to what the team needs. But you got to play defense. The best performance over the weekend was Nikola Jokicic thirty one, twenty one, twenty two, and he did it on a Friday night and a win against the Suns, and you know, he's not bothered by it. Van Pelt interviewed him and basically this never happened in the history of the NBA, and he's like, yeah, well, I'm just glad we won the first thirty twenty twenty in NBA history. With ten minutes to go in the third quarter, Joker had already recorded a triple double. From that point on, he had eighteen, eleven and twelve, So he had two triple doubles in the same game. He had a triple double in a quarter and a half.
Speaker 12: Stall of a day, start of a day, start of a day, scant outa day. This is the style of the day.
Speaker 5: Is that a double triple double?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Is that the turn?
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: But he had two triple doubles in the same game, So it's a double triple double. Is that what you get at Wendy's? Oh ah, the double triple double? Please special meal? Yes, yes, Marvin, And he's still not gonna win MV. No, No, he's not, he's not. SGA had forty so he's had at least forty and three straight games, and uh yeah, I mean he's gonna win it. He's not the most valuable player, he's not the best player, but it's his time, his turn.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: Because you know, jokers having a better year than he had in his previous MVP years and probably means more to his team than SGA does to Oklahoma City. But I've been around long enough to I know that. You know, I saw hi when Karl Malone won and when Charles Barkley won, and you could not convince me they were better than Michael Jordan are more valuable, But it was their turn. It was their time, and that's SGA. And I do think that there's a ground swell with the analyst former players who won SGA to win for whatever reason. You know, Oklahoma City's having a great year. Well, has anybody brought up Donovan Mitchell as an MVP candidate?
Speaker 5: No? Yeah, why not?
Speaker 11: Because he's probably averaging twenty two a game and SGA is averaging thirty thirty one. I think if Donovan Mitchell was the far and away leader because they the Cavaliers seem like very equal, they seem like very balanced. They're a very balanced team. Where's this guy's averaging twenty, this guy's averaging twenty one, this guy's averaging seventeen. So there's not just one standalone player on the Cavs.
Speaker 5: But we're talking about value.
Speaker 2: I know Donovan Mitchell, it's just because the Cavaliers don't get clicks.
Speaker 5: Nobody talks about him. Even now, it's like be grudgingly. They've won fourteen in a row. You know what they've done. This start is historical.
Speaker 2: How many teams have had this winning percentage this deep into the season.
Speaker 11: Yes, Ma, they feel like the Hawks maybe about ten or twelve years ago when they won sixty games and they have four All Stars. I think I think Lebron just swept them out of the playoffs really fast after that. But they seem like a team that was very balanced, and they had a bunch of guys averaging around sixteen to eighteen, but no one took their.
Speaker 10: Series because they'd have a super duper star.
Speaker 5: Yes, Pom.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Donovan Mitchell was probably more famous in Utah when he's averaging twenty seven and he's about to be a free agent. Everybody wanted him. His career is as a team player is going way better. But he's down to twenty four points a game for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I haven't heard anybody. It's basically SGA and then it'll be Joker, and then it'll be people way down the list there.
Speaker 11: Yes, it's this show that's keeping the calves. We're keeping them afloat. Yeah, we talk about them. Yes, and we talk about Polo benk in the Rockets, who talks more of random NBA than this is broadcast.
Speaker 2: That's because I watched the NBA. Well, you're a junkie. These other hostess, they don't watch, They don't watch, they don't. I mean, you got big time guys on TV, or I've got guys on a roster that aren't even haven't been on the roster in a couple of years. You got to watch, but they you know, I I'm here to cover the NBA, you know, instead of just saying, let's just cover the Lakers. Love the Lakers situation, but you try to be fair to the other stories.
Speaker 5: Take a break.
Speaker 2: Here is Steven A. Smith worth one hundred million dollars. We'll talk about that next Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation yet. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sportsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 5: Going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 14: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 13: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone.
Speaker 5: Calls, chop it up.
Speaker 14: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 5: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven PM Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Our two pole question we have fill in the blank and Stephen A. Smith gets paid. I have that for you coming up. What is the our two pole question, Dylan?
Speaker 4: So the hour two pole is Miles Garrett is only interested in getting the bag, not a ring. True or false? True is leading right now sixty three percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Okay, any other pole questions that we're considering. Todd usually has a handful.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 4: One moment, Dan, I have to go back into my records.
Speaker 5: Well, how about we just asked Todd who I had? True or false?
Speaker 8: The Jokers should win the NBA MVP again, but he won't true or false?
Speaker 5: Oh true, he's not going to win.
Speaker 4: I was going to say that to him.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dylan.
Speaker 8: We also had how ready are you to fill out a March Madness bracket next week? Very moderately, slightly, not at all yet?
Speaker 5: I would say slightly, yes.
Speaker 9: Paul, I'm not at already because I know nothing about any of the tea but I'm very excited to do so, which is weird.
Speaker 5: What else time?
Speaker 10: That's what I got?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, we'll play fill in the blank. Let me start with Stephen A. Smith got paid. I think it's is it a five year, four year, one hundred million dollar deal? Not sure the number of years there, but it is. He's kind of he's signed a Baker Mayfield kind of deal, I think, I mean. And that's still great for the mothership there. But what ESPN is doing. They have a couple of big names and they are going to spread them across all their platforms. You know, you're going to get rid of a great show like Around the Horn, which is a shame, but it was expensive bringing in the journalist and everybody wanted to get paid, which you could still do it. You just tell them, you know, we're going to pay you in TV time. But they'll do something in house.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 2: It feels like the you know, the players that they have with Pat McAfee was Stephen A, Mike Greenberg, Scott Van Pelt to a lesser degree. But you're going to have your four or five people that you're going to spend a lot of money on. You're going to ask them to host a lot of different shows, contribute to a lot of different shows. You know, Van Pelt Monday Night Countdown, Greeney doing Sunday Countdown, doing his show on Get Up, Steve and A is going to be spread all across the network. McAfee does a lot of things, not only a show, but also College Game Day. This is what their model is now. You know, they finally came around to realizing take care of your talent, and they never did that before because they kind of fought talent. They thought that the four letters were more important. And in today's social media age, you don't need to watch Sports Center anymore. When I was there, we were fortunate you tuned in to watch the highlights. Now it's we know what the results are. Now, how are you going to tell us or explain or give us you know, your opinions on that. Now is when you earn your money by being different than anybody else. And there's only a couple of people in our business who move the needle, you know, Stephen A. McAfee, Charles Barkley. They're polarizing, but you tune in to hear what they have to say. Greenee is not Greenee is he lands planes extremely well. He's very versatile van Pelt, you know, very versatile. You know, those guys are great at hosting big events. But you only have a couple of those people at the Mothership anymore. But this is by design. They'd rather spend this kind of money and get rid of some of these ancillary shows. You get people who will work there because it's ESPN. You're not going to pay them. There's always you run the risk of being laid off, which they tend to do every couple of years.
Speaker 5: But stephen A, you know.
Speaker 2: There's a guy. I mean, he moved the needle more than Tony Romo does. I mean he got into it with lebron like you know that you're you're penetrating you know, the media.
Speaker 5: He made news.
Speaker 2: Now it's not pretty news, but you know ESPN doesn't care and he doesn't care like Lebron is challenging you about you know, keep my son's name out of your mouth. Don't be talking about Bronny. You just want you want people to tune in. You want clicks, that's it. And you know when Mike and TONI you're done, then they'll get rid of you know, pardon the interruption, but they're still that's they do a really good number. They get a lot of people tuning in, very loyal audience there. But this is where ESPN is going. ESPN is not concerned about Fox Sports at all.
Speaker 5: They laugh.
Speaker 2: I've been hearing about Fox Sports competing with ESPN since I was there, and you go back to the mid nineties, late nineties, We're like, we're not afraid.
Speaker 5: We don't care what you do. You'll never ever supplant to ESPN. And they have it.
Speaker 2: They haven't even come close. Now, that doesn't mean they can't have good shows, but ESPN is going into a new era where this is what their business model is, and it's tune in factor for some shows or video clips that are going to go social, you know, media go viral.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: So good for steven A. Now, I don't know what his leverage was and where's he going. Oh we could lose him to Fox, so what who cares?
Speaker 5: Nobody? You know, they're not yet. Now.
Speaker 2: If you put Skip and steven A back together, then maybe, But if he went, you know, stephen A got let go by ESPN years ago. He was doing a radio show prior to this one. He was gone, and then he came back and then he you know, became stephen A Smith again, but he was gone, like ESPN was like, uh, we don't need you. We'll move on because ESPN at the time didn't need him.
Speaker 5: Now they do.
Speaker 2: Now they're desperate and they realize there's not a lot of talent out there that will move the needle like Troy Aikman, Joe Buck all right, social media wise, But I'm still tuning into a football Like, to me, that's the wasted money an analyst. I'm still watching the game. You may not be a great analyst. I'm still watching the game. I got no other choice. But if you're going to tune into First Take or you're gonna tune into pardon the interruption, I mean you're tuning in because the people who were on that show those shows, and that's the difference the football game. Chris Collinsworth could be doing it, or you know, it could be Charles David.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter. Now.
Speaker 2: Are there certain analysts who are better name recognition, Yes, but I don't know if that translates to ratings. John Madden and Howard Cosell probably trans laid into ratings other than that. I don't think we get caught up in I've gotta watch that or listen to that. Dick Vittel was always on the biggest games. Put him on, you know, Wisconsin, green Bay against Oakland, and let me see if that improves the ratings. You may stay with it longer, but I don't know if it matters. Stephen A McAfee, you know, you stay with them, you tune in for them. Maybe not as much Greeny and Van Pelp, but still they're recognizable, really good broadcasters, really good hosts. The other two guys are content guys who were going to move the needle.
Speaker 5: They're polarizing.
Speaker 9: Yes, Pin, it appears with this new deal that Stephen A. Smith will be added to the football coverage at ESPN. Would you hesitate to add him to the booth from the football?
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he's not going on the booth, not the booth. No no, no, I know, I agree with you. No, no, no no. Why would you disrupt the booth with Troy Aikman and Joe Buck They have a history of doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's when they're stupid.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, just wonder no no no, no, no no, I would if you want to put him on Countdown great. I mean I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 5: The NBA.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't put him on with Barkley and those guys. But they're going to this is what ESPN does. They oversaturate and I would have steven A do what steven A does really well, not kind of blast him all over the network. But that's you know, that's the direction they're going in because they're going to say, hey, we're paying you this money, we need you, and look he shows up at fights, you know, I mean everything. I mean, he shouldn't be on all those platforms, but he is.
Speaker 5: Guess Mark, if.
Speaker 11: You're ESPN, how many shows do you put him on full time? Do you put them on just first taken, maybe an occasional NBA Countdown or like, how do you do it?
Speaker 5: You got to you gotta get your money's worth.
Speaker 10: So he's doing a daily car washer.
Speaker 5: They're not going to do less, they're gonna do more.
Speaker 10: Well, I was asking, if you were the boss.
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't pay him that money.
Speaker 2: But you know that's just because I would say, I want you to be great on these these two shows, not we're paying you all this money. Now you've got to be on all these shows, Like, I want his voice to be unique. I want McAfee's voice to be unique. Not you know, you're in the car wash and you're on fifteen shows. Yes, Neil.
Speaker 4: Do you think part of the reason they were comfortable giving him that much money is because he's willing to do literally every single show there. They're like, here's a big check, but we'll squeeze every last stop.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I mean, he's a worker. He does. He wants to be on TV.
Speaker 2: You know, they love this, and he's doing a podcast, maybe running for president, I don't know, but but he does love that. There's certain people who just like I didn't love being on TV.
Speaker 5: I didn't.
Speaker 2: There's certain people who just eat it up. They want camera time, and he certainly loves the camera time. But he's good at what he does. Really, he's good at what he does. But Lebron confronting him in a Laker game, basically this is just about I'm a dad, keep my sons. You know, when Steve and A dramatically said Lebron, don't do this to your son, don't do this, and I'm like, oh my god, quiet, we don't need this. But look, it got a lot of play. I got a lot of coverage. And now you get Lebron who confronts him and says, you know, keep my son's name out of your f and mouth. All right, that got real and I you know, stephen A's job is to cover the NBA. Now he doesn't have to do it, you know, breathlessly about Lebron's son, because now you're part of the covers.
Speaker 5: Now there's no I shouldn't say no.
Speaker 2: There's very little journalism anymore at SPN, most places, I should say, not just ESPN, But you can't be part of the story.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't be part of the story.
Speaker 2: But Lebron made him part of the story his reaction to Bronni being embarrassed instead of being analytical with this.
Speaker 5: Instead of you must protect your son.
Speaker 2: Did he do the same thing for Michael Jordan's son who was arrested and driving under the influence? And the answer is now he did not. Bronnie is an easy target with what Lebron did to get him in the league. I get all those things, but it's just a different world now.
Speaker 10: It just is.
Speaker 2: But it's about entertainment, journalistic standards maybe, but entertainment's that's the direction we're going in, and maybe they build a successful want. You know, everybody's cutting the cable cord here. I believe you know you're not watching Sports Center. You watch highlights, you get a video, you know, it goes viral.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's tough to be a sports center anchor now, I think, because what are you doing with the results? And Van Pelt does a good job with that to spin it forward? Mike Greenberg in the morning, what are you doing with the news, spinning it forward, putting your stamp on it? Sports Center, We're just doing the highlights, Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 9: I will say Van Pelt's version of Sports Center as more of a hang You hang with him and he does the highlights like you did, but he also does some fun stuff that makes it a tune in factor. When I see it on, I stick with a little longer. I do remember when we worked there, when it was early Stephen A. Smith and he filled in for you once and you were off for a day. He comes over and he was super nice. He was very thankful for all the prep we gave him. He was whisper quiet in the pre show meetings. Oh yeah, and it was a whisper quiet and he puts his hand on my shoulder right before he got on there. He goes, because you know, he hadn't hosted a lot of radio shows before by himself, and he goes, just tell me when my mic is hot, and tell me when to go to break. He goes, I'll take it from there. And next thing you know, you gave him the point. He goes, the brother's taken it and he just hit the gas for three hours. And I couldn't believe how he held it up for three hours and kept it going for three hours. And then as soon as he went to break.
Speaker 5: How was that was that good?
Speaker 9: And he had totally different.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, take a break. We'll get to more phone calls, best and worst of the weekend. We will play fill in the blank coming up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Couple of teams schools punched their ticket March Madness. Drake beat Bradley fourth trip to the NCAA Tournament in the last five seasons over the last five seasons, Drake's winning percentage is second only third only to Houston and Gonzaga. They're the only ones who over the last five years have a better record than Drake does. Stat of your Day, Stat of the Day, that Bus, stat of the day, stat of the.
Speaker 4: Day, here comes that what stat.
Speaker 5: Of the day. Stat of the Day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. This portion of the hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, official tire expert at the DP show. Go to ti rack dot com, slash Dan try the Tired Decision Guide, full lineup of fulcan tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, ti rac dot com. The way tire buying should be all right. Some phone calls coming up. Best and Worst of the weekend. Also we'll play Phil in the Blank, which you just fill in the blank. We'll have that for you, Charlie and Dayton. Hey, Charlie, Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 3: Dan, real quick. As a Bengals fan, I just got to do something I didn't think I'd ever do, is to send Jimmy Crowns because even though it hasn't he.
Speaker 2: Got a bad connection, Charlie got a bad connection? Otis and Idaho, Hey, Otis, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan? How are you doing this? Conn will be recorded? Where were you in Santa Barbara drinking wine? Because I was born and raised in Santa Barbara and I grew up in the Santienas Valley. Were you there in a Satinas Valley drinking wine there?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 5: I was? And why is this a phone call being recorded? Otis because my kids.
Speaker 7: Love the show. When I drive him to the school in the morning, I just want to know that I'm on the show. And we like singing the song Salary sounds like celery, but it's Salary. We singing in the car when you.
Speaker 2: Why don't you tape your kids singing Salary and then we'll play it on the show.
Speaker 7: I will do that all of a sudden, Yes, I was up.
Speaker 2: In that area doing wine tasting. So is it Los olive Us? And uh, it's small town. And I was up there a lot of a lot of farmland, a lot of vineyards as well. But I went down to Santa Barbara got to see a concert on Saturday night, and I went to Montecito and a few other places there, just a short trip, and I think I could live there, not not in Montecito or Santa Barbara. I mean, I want to live out there. There's so many men. Get some land out there. Start my vineyard, start my winery.
Speaker 9: One of those hats of sun hats.
Speaker 4: You just want to live on a vineyard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically, yeah, it's a farmed a table.
Speaker 5: You know. That's kind of what I would be doing with the wine.
Speaker 4: Wine to math.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd be stomping on grapes all righty. Do you know how to treat a groin injury? I've had a pulled groin, but it was in high school. No, no jokes, Todd.
Speaker 10: I thought you were setting us up for some time.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, you.
Speaker 10: Know how to treat a groin injury?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think there's a few different ways. So I gave Paulie an assignment.
Speaker 5: During the commercial break. I said, would you explore how to treat a groin injury?
Speaker 9: Dan, I've been waiting for this assignment for years. There are three levels of groin injury. One is mild to is moderate. Three is severe and could include tearing. Now, if it's not level three, rest ice compression elevation, the old rice method, rest the muscle immediately, ice pack fifteen minutes every hour for the first day. Compression, you should wrap it with one of those ace bandages and keep it wrapped up to when you're icing it. And then elevation. Lift your leg above your lower body and love the level of your heart. Support with pillows, blankets or cushion, rice, rest, ice, compression, elevation.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, time to do fill in the blank or do you want to do best and worst to the weekend?
Speaker 5: It's your call, my call. That is my show. That's show todd Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 8: Best of the weekend a pair of college basketball road wins at the buzzer and ot on Sally referred to one of them earlier. Seventh ranked Alabama wins at number one Auburn on a jumper ninety three to ninety one. Saint John's number sixth ranked team gets the victory at number twenty Marquette eighty six eighty four, both road buzzer beaters in overtime. So that was exciting. Worst of the weekend if you're a Yankees fan. Garrett Cole needed imaging on his right elbow. Concerned about how much time you may have to miss, may need Tommy John surgery. Also during Carlos Stanton says his elbow injuries are severe. He could possibly get season ending surgery on that elbow disaster.
Speaker 6: There, you know they signed you sign these guys long term, especially a picture. No, No, Garrett Cole can be a great picture, but he's a pitcher.
Speaker 5: Dylan Best and worst?
Speaker 4: All right, Dan Best. Russell Henley winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational with the late chip in eagle, comes from behind, the beat Morikawa and walks with four million and the cool red cardigan and worst of the weekend is I did not bet on him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought you were a Russell Henley guy.
Speaker 4: I've dabbled in the Russell Henley field.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a it's a red cardigan, isn't it a tartan jacket?
Speaker 4: Is that the technical term, like it's a sweater with buttons on it?
Speaker 2: So oh, I thought there was a tartan jacket that you got for winning the Arnie.
Speaker 4: The tart that's is that the or the like Wells Fargo or one of those they get. They give out a bunch of clothing items.
Speaker 2: I thought there was okay, Now, Arnie looked dashing in a cardigan, but I I I thought there was a Tartan jacket involved in this.
Speaker 5: Marvin bestin Worst of the Weekend.
Speaker 11: All right, Dan Best of the Weekend, Future Hall of Famer Al Horford fourteen points, nine rebounds, three steals in a block. He had great individual defense. The Lakers tried to put him on an island, but he was shutting everybody down. So good for the future Hall of Famer Al Horford Worst of the Weekend in the same game the Lakers.
Speaker 10: Third quarter, He's five for.
Speaker 11: Twenty three from the field, six turnovers, one for ten from three point range as the Celtics pulled away in a.
Speaker 9: Third Paul beston Worst to the Weekend, just confirming it is a red cardigan for the Arnold Palmer. I'm checking. There's another April event where it's a red Blazer type.
Speaker 5: Oh is that Hilton Head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the RBC. Oh, they get the Tartan.
Speaker 9: Which stands for Red Blazer competition.
Speaker 2: Because I would much rather have the cardigan than the Tartan jacket. Oh yeah, because I remember Alabama coach Wimp Sanderson.
Speaker 5: Used to have a Tartan jacket like that?
Speaker 9: All right, Paul, Best of the weekend Men's college basketball. This weekend, I was watching Furman, Chattanooga, UTSA, Charlotte. It's a great month ahead. Can't wait. Worst of the weekend. You mentioned earlier. If the Browns did not actually shop Miles Garrett, they're irresponsible. It reminds me of five years ago the the Los Angeles Angels not shopping Mike Trout and just burning the peak years of his career and maybe doing something. You're not competing for anything. Why would you keep the peak years of miles career, make it more expensive and compound the problem.
Speaker 2: I ran into somebody who went to Furman and he had a shirt that said FU. And I didn't realize that he went to Furman, but it's Furman University. And I said, wow, people probably respond to you, and he goes why. I said, wait, your shirt says FU. And he goes, yeah, I went to Furman University.
Speaker 5: What were you thinking? I'm like, oh, I see what you did.
Speaker 10: F you.
Speaker 5: Coming up?
Speaker 2: We'll play Phil in the blank. More phone calls as well on this Monday, Best and work still the weekend