Speaker 1: At least he's the drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio, and.
Speaker 2: We are back. I am Dale Lolly, He's the Matt Williamson and it is timed Matt to put together our DFS lineup with the captain's share. It's a little different than just building the lineup here.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a challenge that it is.
Speaker 2: And again just to let everybody know how the rules work on this if you're not familiar with it. You pick a captain. He is worth one excuse me, one and a half points, but he's also one and a half times more expensive than the other guys. And then you have your five flex spots that can be any position including the defense.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks or yeah, you know, two defenses, whatever. But it's only one game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so looking at the captain's money sake, one is eighteen thousand dollars. Jalen Hurts is fifty teen thousand, six hundred dollars, Patrick Mahomes fifteen thousand, AJ Brown fourteen to four, Travis Kelce is thirteen to five, Xavier Worthiest twelve thousand. Kind of surprise. He's the next highest guy there. DeVonta Smith is eleven to one, Kareem Hunt ninety six hundred. Then you get to their all the backup quarterbacks. We'll skip over there. Those Dallas Goddard eighty seven hundred, Terrible Hollywood Brown eighty one hundred, Isaiah Pacheco seventy eight hundred, Harrison Butker seventy five hundred, Jake Elliott seventy two hundred, DeAndre Hopkins sixty six hundred, the Eagles defense sixty three hundred, the Chiefs defense six thousand. Then you got Kenneth game Well at fifty one hundred, Noah Gray at forty two hundred, will Shipley thirty six hundred, Juju Smith Schuster three thousand, Johan Dotson twenty four hundred, samaj p Ryan eighteen hundred getting into cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, those guys are Cabins. Yeah. We haven't talked about Super Bowl at all on or off the air. My initial my thoughts as it stands today is I'm leaning towards the under I think there are two really good defensive coordinators, and there are some d line mismatches favoring the defenses. I agree, and I also think that Kansas City is not a big play offense, and I think Philly is gonna try to run the ball a lot, so there might not be a ton of.
Speaker 2: Plays where they keep the scoring down.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. That being said, I don't think the Chiefs run past percentage is going to be very run heavy at all. I mean, it's gonna be a controlled passing game. But I bet my Homes has a lot of attempts. Maybe that's gonna bet somebody wants to play is over on the completions or attempts because they don't throw the ball on the field at all. But I think they're gonna keep it in his hands and not run at Jalen Carter over and over and over. Some of the names. I kind of like there are Mahomes in some capacity to be on this team. You know, I was just talking captains, and you're right. I know DeVonta Smith, I think has McDuffie's been an outside guy and Smith lines in the slot a lot. If they're losing, they might throw more than they want. I thought he was a little cheaper than he should have been when he listed him.
Speaker 2: The guy that stands out to me in that regard is Goddard.
Speaker 3: I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: Eighty seven and the Chiefs are twenty seventh against opposing tight ends.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the one.
Speaker 2: Area here where neither were the two defenses. The one area where they struggle at is there.
Speaker 3: And he's battled injuries. I think the last two weeks off will go a long way with him. Just late in the year, he's had some things. I think he's a much better player than people realize too. You know, like, wouldn't shock me if he's like a top three fantasy tight end one year. You know, they just don't throw the ball enough. I'm cool with that. I mean, it's kind of the same.
Speaker 2: Logical saving some money there. He's eighty he's only eighty seven hundred putting the captain, sure, and maybe that allows us to pay up and get you know, the two quarterbacks and things of that nature. Or so looking here at real quickly.
Speaker 3: One other note, I just think of the of that's important for this game is really over the last six weeks or so, the Eagles have said, we only want to be a nickel. The Jene's too good. We're not taking them off the field. And I'm just wondering does reed counter that with two tight ends? More two or even three tight ends, and Kelsey's gonna be expensive. But even if you do that, is that enough Gene then covering Kelsey things of that night, which he may be able to do. Yeah, but that's kind of a new development for the Eagles, is we do not want to leave our Nickel package And what's really going to do to count that?
Speaker 2: Because de Jine's gonna cover somebody there if you've only got two receivers on the field, right.
Speaker 3: And I don't think they're gonna run a ton. I don't think they're gonna come out with extra o lineman and you know, Gouger Nickel pack.
Speaker 2: Does that then make us look at Noah Gray a little hard?
Speaker 3: I would say, I think Gray would be a cheap I'm gonna put him in the Captain's chair. No, I'm a sick muaying on that pick. But that's where I was going with it, is no Gray could be on you know our regular lineup here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Barkley is twelve thousand, Herts is ten to four, Mahomes is ten thousand, aj Brown is ninety six hundred, Travis Kelsey is nine thousand, Xavier Worthy is eight thousand. That's actually under budget. Okay, he's been really productive lately, but I have my doubts there. Devonte Smith is seventy four hundred.
Speaker 3: I like that. Yeah, I like Mahomes and Kelsey too.
Speaker 2: Kareem Hunt sixty four hundred, Hollywood Brown is fifty four hundred, but Checko is fifty two hundred, Butker is five thousand, Elliott is forty eight hundred, Hopkins is forty four hundred.
Speaker 3: The Egans has been fighting a knee forever too. I wonder if two weeks off for the old man gives him a little more usage.
Speaker 2: You know, the Eagles defense is forty two hundred, the Chiefs defense is four thousand, and then Kenneth Gamewo is thirty four hundred.
Speaker 3: I think just like either defense either.
Speaker 2: And the thing about Game Wall is he's out there a lot on third down situations. He's also out there a lot. If they have a long sustained drive where Saquan has like they started their they started their own twenty, and Saquon carries the ball like eight times on a on a twelve play drive, they get to the opposing twenty, and all of a sudden, he taps out and game Wall's in there, and you're like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know this because I had Sau on my fantasy team and I'm watching their games.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what they're inside the twenty? Why is game woe in there? I mean, what's amazing? As you know, if you watched every snap like that, Barkley left a lot of fantasy points on the table. I mean a lot of carries on, you know, from the one or in drop down at the one. That's an unbelievable year. I don't know if he's going to be worth the money because I think he's not a lot of times if he doesn't break off the long one and they don't allow score, right, right, right, So who do we spend money on. I kind of like the Mahomes Kelsey connection.
Speaker 2: I like that. I also like how I'd like to have both quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: I don't object to that because I mean, if I were going to play a prop in this game, Jalen Hurts anytime touchdown would be pretty and I'm sure I haven't even looked at the.
Speaker 2: Odds on any of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Probably doesn't pay well, probably doesn't care because he's expected to score a touchdown. And he does a lot. Yeah, well, what's it look like we put both quarterbacks and Kelsey.
Speaker 2: In, all right, so that would be and then Kelsey all right, so we would be at we'd have fifty nine to fifty to spend on our last two spots, fifty nine to fifty each each.
Speaker 3: So what's like a Gray or a Gain.
Speaker 2: Well, so looking here at that, if we looking, guys under under that price are Hollywood Brown, but Checko, both kickers, Hopkins, both defenses, Game Well, and Gray. Okay, if we went if we went for a guy like Gray or game.
Speaker 3: Well, then we could maybe get like Davanta Smith, right, okay, because we did go pretty cheap in the Caps.
Speaker 2: Gray is twenty eight hundred, game Woll was thirty four hundred.
Speaker 3: If we put the Vauanta Smith in, okay, maybe that made a list, made an eliminate things.
Speaker 2: He's seventy four hundred. That leaves us with forty five hundred. That would get us Hopkins. You kind of think Hopkins old. I like old men in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Either defense, I'd say, defenses, kickers, Game well, Gray, Hopkins. Those were the cheap things I kind of was attracted to.
Speaker 2: So if we went with Hopkins, we'd have one hundred dollars left over.
Speaker 3: I think pass protection would be a real problem for the Chiefs. He they lost sacks, but I could see sacks he gets if he's getting rid of the ball quickly. I think it would be a lot of pass attempts. But I think the ball come out quick.
Speaker 2: That would be Goddard in the captain's chair, Hurts, Mahomes, Kelsey, Devonte Smith, DeAndre Hopkins. We got all the old guys in the life men, but we only have one hundred dollars left over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is Hopkins your favorite of the cheap ones? Uh?
Speaker 2: So you had Hopkins.
Speaker 3: If we take him back out of guys in that neighborhood, you.
Speaker 2: Had Hopkins, the Eagles defense, the Chiefs defense, gain Well, Gray Smith, Schuster another old guy.
Speaker 3: He's only two thousand. Dotson doesn't do much to know. Yeah, I would say a defense or Hopkins. Yeah, the problem is picking which defense. Not not much I was of thinking, because Hurts will take sacks too, and they'll blitz a lot the blitz and yeah, Chris Jones will find some spots that he likes. It'll be the interior, he said, go Hopkins. He could get a zero though, because they aren't going to get a zero. He could get a zero, but he could also score a touchdown. Yeah, yeah, Like, do we think there's gonna be a defensive like he could have? He has a higher ceiling. Yeah, I mean unless there's a dec unless there's a defensive score, but you don't count on that. Yeah, And there's both good defenses. But I don't think any of these offenses are haphazard with the football.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like the other guys. I like to build here, and you know, unless you want to put somebody else in the can, you want to put try Deavonte Smith in the captain share and see what that looks like. We could if you want see if that if that changes.
Speaker 3: I like the Goddard call though, So.
Speaker 2: If we put DeVante Smith, he's not that much more expensive, in the captain's chair.
Speaker 3: And then put Goddard in at the DeVante Smith spot. Yeah yeah, so I like to still have Goddard on the team. That would be Devonte Smith. He's only eleven to one, and then we go with Goddard. That means we can upgrade from Hopkins, right, Yeah, quick question for you, or pretend we might have to downgrade find Goddard here first? Oh yeah, we spent more on the captain Yeah right, did got it?
Speaker 2: Go oh there, he is fifty eight hundred, so he's not. So then we only have thirty seven hundred to spend on our last spot. Is that would be game woll Or? Noah, Gray, I get it. Do we think we gained a lot from do we think? The question is? Do you think Smith is going to score more points? Way more points than God?
Speaker 3: That's, as I said, to be gain enough the point in a half? It there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, let's say he scores six more points in the captain's chair than Goddard would. Is that going to be enough to overcome having to play one of these other guys?
Speaker 3: I think I like the original build with Hopkins.
Speaker 2: I think I did too. Yeah, yeah, so I'm gonna put Goddard back in.
Speaker 3: I guess it's irrelevant now. But my question for you that I should know the answer to is why is Hunt noticeably more than Pacheco?
Speaker 2: He's gotten way more carres? Has it been that heavy he's been pretty substantial?
Speaker 3: Or has it been when they're winning by one hundred? I mean a lot of leads.
Speaker 2: He's also gotten like the goal line career. I know he's a goal I'm back right, right right, and I think that's what people are looking at, like he's more inclined to score.
Speaker 3: The short one. Yeah, yeah, okay, I knew that more or less, but I was shocked at that discrepancy. Was that large?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Wante Smith in there, it doesn't mean it. Pacheco couldn't be the guy they lean in here because he's got fresh legs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I don't think we need to go down that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go either, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's gonna be a run heavy game.
Speaker 2: No, I don't either, all right, I'm gonna put Hawkins back in.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, I mean, I think that's it.
Speaker 2: Only having one hundred dollars left over is a good feeling, is a pretty good means we did a pretty.
Speaker 3: Good build on this. No, I like Goddard in the cat.
Speaker 2: It also could mean it's pretty chalky.
Speaker 3: I guess, I mean maybe everyone, you only have so much to choose from here, and you know, you bet a lot of people put Saque in a starting spot, though I would bet so too. That's expensive.
Speaker 2: It's expensive, and I just don't know that it's going.
Speaker 3: To be worth it, right, Hurt scores touchdowns? Yeah, yeah, no, I like it. All right, I'm gonna lock it in, Matt. So we got Dallas Goddard at eighty seven hundred in the captain's chair, Jalen Hurts at ten four in a flex, the other flexes, Patrick Mahomes at ten thousand, Travis Kelcey at nine thousand, Devonte Smith at seventy four hundred, and DeAndre Hopkins at forty four hundred. That is locked and loaded, and they're all stars. You know, we're not hoping for a grade to have.
Speaker 2: No, that's a thing you don't want to I hope that pass. Yeah, yeah, it gets a carry.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Hopkins could be our wild card. Yeah, that's obviously one I'm least confident about. But he's the cheapest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all right, lock it up. We'll see if that works again. Goddard, Hopkins, Goddard and the captain, Sheer Hopkins, Jalen Hurts, Travis Kelsey, Patrick Mahomes and Devonte Smith.
Speaker 3: I do like it.
Speaker 2: We have both quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: H like, that's a that's a I mean, they're gonna score points. They're gonna Yeah, you would expect homes and super Bowls going to score point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would suspect so, like the floor runs more in these guys. He might maybe he only throws for one hundred and eighty yards, but but he throws at least two touchdown passes. He might run for one too.
Speaker 3: I wonder what the prop bet is on touchdown passes for him. Probably two and a half. That's pretty high. But yeah, probably it's probably one and a half or doesn't pay grade if you take over something like that, something along those lines.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked at any of that.
Speaker 3: I haven't looked at the props. I'm doing a podcast tomorrow. We're doing a whole segment on favorite props. I'm like, God, I'm kind of dreading it. Don't want to dig into that.
Speaker 2: People wonder at times why we talk about this particular stuff. What we just did on the air kind of gives you an idea of how we feel the game is.
Speaker 3: Going to go. Yeah, it's a somewhat of a Super Bowl preview two. Yeah right, I love our build. But I wouldn't mind either defense either, because I definitely think Spags will be a game. Chris Jones is going to cause problems That Eagles D line versus Chiefs O line is to me, the Eagle's biggest advantage.
Speaker 2: It's going to be troublesome.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love this joke, but I didn't come up with it. But Cali Ende at left guard has been impersonating a good guard. That's what you do, you know. But he's gonna get Milton Williams, who's about to get twenty million on the open market. Probably have to help him, which means Smith, who's a good guard, gets Jalen Carter.
Speaker 2: Who's also going to make twenty millions million.
Speaker 3: Around two Taylor right tackle stinks troublesome. Tunnies serviceable, but he's a guard, you know, left tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor's Taylor's okay. If they allow him the false start.
Speaker 3: Yeah he can cheat. He's really good.
Speaker 2: He's can cheat. If he can jump the snap, yeah, he's fantastic.
Speaker 3: So I assume back to my pass, everything got to come out. I mean, like we saw Mahomes two point one, two point two, I think.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be very much the way they played the Steelers when they were here. Where the ball is just it's a lot of boom boom.
Speaker 3: We got to catch throw I think so too, which could be really good for Kelsey. Worthy gets a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 2: He gets a lot of that stuff, but it could be some quick hitters to DeAndre Hopkins, you know, quick slant boom Hopkins.
Speaker 3: I'm liking for the touchdown though, Yeah, you know, I mean that, that to me is where we're kind of pushing a chip in Like I could see him muscle red zone.
Speaker 2: I'm muscling somebody for a score.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, going to being big and being Hopkins and being a little healthier than you were throughout.
Speaker 2: The same thing for Kelsey. I mean, I think if they throw a touchdown pass into the end zone, it's likely to go to one of those two guys.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, trust Yeah, I'm sure Kelsey will have a good day. Yeah, I'm very confident of that.
Speaker 2: Especially we thought that last week in the AFC Championships and he did not have a good day because they were focused on Buffalo, said Travis, Kelsey is not going to beat.
Speaker 3: Us, and he didn't, right, But I'll always go back to that. Well, yeah, anyways, let's get to a break that's going to do it. For the Fantasy Football Focus We've only got one more Fantasy Football focus left this season. Yeah, tomorrow, we'll do that tomorrow when we pick our overall lineup where we have to actually pick a quarterback, two running backs, three receivers, a tight end.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a chore. I bet Kenneth game Wall is one of those two backs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think, did we want to go Barkley or not? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of the two quarterback. You're gonna take one of those, one of those two quarterbacks unless you he well, let's stroke Kenny Pickett in there. You can go crazy everywhere else anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, but let's get through a break. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the driver. You're on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 1: At least is the drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: And we are back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson. This is the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network. And of course you can hear the drive every Monday through Friday right here on these very airwaves. You can also download the Steelers mobile app and get the drive there. You can also watch our YouTube channel and there's all kinds of stuff there on the YouTube channel in terms of Steeler's stuff. Yeah, highlights, interviews, all that kind of stuff, and our show of course we get that there as well. Yeah, so check all that out. You should subscribe to that as well, and they'll let you know when all that stuff's in when you call up your YouTube page. Boom, there it all is there. It is beautiful, Matt. As you know, I've been doing some position reviews for Steelers dot com. Yeah, and let's talk about the defensive backs today. Okay, So you make a Fitzpatrick, Deshaun Elliott, Joey Porter, Junior, Dante Jackson, demonte Kz, Miles, Killerbrew, Beanie, Bishop, Corey Trice, James, Pierre, cam Sutton, CJ. Henderson. Of that group, you got Jackson, Sutton, Henderson, CAZy, and Pierre al slated to be unrestricted free agents.
Speaker 3: It could be a lot of turnover.
Speaker 2: It could be quite a bit of turnover in that group. So you got Fitzpatrick, Elliott, Porter, their starter Killer Brew, Bishop Trice are the guys who are under contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you need to find a third safety, maybe on almost slot capable. Yeah, and that could be draft. They're not always super expensive, but that's today's NFL.
Speaker 2: I mean, you found Elliott, you found KZ.
Speaker 3: Safeties aren't that hard to find. They're not hard.
Speaker 2: Even Killer Brew was. It was a free agent signing that. You know, you got cheap those guys.
Speaker 3: More I think about it, I guess they haven't drafted a lot of safeties the last five years. I don't know. And you get what's his face back from Texas, the rookie from Yeah, I like him. Yeah, I think he's going to be in the mix and make the theme and could be a pleasant surprise.
Speaker 2: An outside cornerback and also play a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Both exactly what he does. But he's worth bringing up to. There's another draft pick we don't talked about today. Didn't get hardly anything out of Yeah, So I think you need another safety, you know, I mean, somebody preferably slot capable. I'd like to mix and match him with Bishop, who I think will probably make the team next year. But I don't want to play as many snaps as he did this year. Trice is still interesting to me as a potential starting cores.
Speaker 2: Henschel is the key word that I don't want to go into the season with him written. You know, okay he's he or I didn't even want to go into mini camp no and say he's he's our starter no matter what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys would like to spend money on a corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to show me because he hasn't stayed healthy.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, and he's just unproven too, and we're already in your three. I mean, he's could be gone in two years even if he's good, you know whatever, there's potential there. Yeah, but I want to see more. I am very interested. I'm not bringing Jackson back. I mean, in terms of the free agents, if Pierre or KZ wanted to come back super cheap, super late, fine.
Speaker 2: You know Pierre does. Pierre doesn't bother me bringing him back, No for on another one year deal, just because of his special team's.
Speaker 3: Value and he won't embarrass himself on defense. Obviously you can get out of it. You can outdraft that though, yeah yeah, yeah, and you would hope corner Joey goes down Trice goes in, not Pierre, Pierre's your fourth outside corner on Week ten game day.
Speaker 2: But and that's the like. So late in the year, Trice started the game against I gotta remember now, he started against the Ravens. I believe it was against the Ravens he started. He started against the Bengals, last game of the year. Okay, then they got into the playoff game and he was inactive, and the immediate response was, how could he be an active He started last week? Well, Dante Jackson was out the previous week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so he.
Speaker 2: He stepped in and started that game against the Bengals.
Speaker 3: It was fine.
Speaker 2: But the special teams issue, he doesn't play special teams.
Speaker 3: Because because he's always kind of been hurt. Yeah, so you don't put him out there on teams. I wonder how much exactly, I mean, how much time has he gotten. He's a little long and angular too to be a you know, a gunner, a gunner, right, and Pierre is the better gunner. Pierre, Yeah, yeah, those guys have to be actively. Trust Bishop is a gunner over Trice. Not that I'm a special teams expert, but I'm spending money on a corner I'd love to go into the draft not needing an outside corner. And we'll talk more free agents, I'm sure next week, et cetera. There's about eight names that would be an upgrade over Jackson that aren't going to be cheap. But I want to play more man, I want to blitz more. We'll get into all my theories and you know how how I want changes on defense, not massive ones. But I don't think they trusted Jackson or any corner, not name porter to play a lot of man coverage, you know.
Speaker 2: Which is why make if Fitzpatrick is twenty yards off the line of scrimmage, because all right, if we're not gonna be able to do that, we can't press up on these guys, and you know expect these guys not to get beat. Yeah, yeah, then we better have make I fits Patrick back. There's a safety valve, so we could get into it again in the down the road. But I sent you a defensive.
Speaker 3: Stat packet yesterday or whatever, and there's some things in there about their numbers when they're in cover two or too high aren't great. But there's some numbers in there if you really peel the onion back that make Minca look really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't give.
Speaker 3: No big plays, no big plays, and you're still only playing single high. The reason I one plays too high is to not give up big plays, and you're doing it with single high. So all this nonsense about Minca's they got caught on. Make a trade him. He's on the downside of his career, You're insane. I mean, he's super important and it just doesn't show up on the back of the football card, you know. But I want another corner Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if you get another cornerback, and maybe he's not Joey Porter Junior, I want a really good too. But I want to I want somebody who can play the same the same style as Joey Porter Junior.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Now Fitzpatrick is more, he's more freed up to do some of those things, to go take the ball.
Speaker 3: Away, and again I want to blitz more. Yeah, I want to lead the league in sacks. I mean, I think this defense should lead the league in sacks. And again we'll talk about this down the road. I have hours of you know, nonsense to talk about that on a soapbox. And it's not like it's a bad scheme, but a man the man corner would go a long way to just be in a nasty defense. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, Dante Jackson was an upgrade oh yeah over what they played with the year before.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'm not saying he stinks or you know, any of that stuff, but he's more of a cover three off guy. And you know, which is why the ball could come out as quickly as it did a lot of times, exactly because you have you know, Porters.
Speaker 2: Got his guy, man the man. The ball wasn't going there necessarily.
Speaker 3: I really want to posing quarterbacks to pat it one more time. Yeah, that's all I want that went that to happen one hundred times over the course of the twenty twenty five season. Just pat it one more time. Yeah, and that's gonna be j patting it out of your hand.
Speaker 2: As the pass rush is going to get there.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's all I need the ball just second, the ball just came out too quickly on average, and I think owners where you get your pass rush from in this situation. Yeah, So I'm spending fifteen million on a pass on a corner maybe you know, and I know that don't on the market. You're gonna pay some bucks for DJ Reid or Byron Murphy or whoever. But I'm highly interested. Yeah, that's that's where I'm spending my non stealer money on defense.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand those is when is the people's well, but you're paying all this, you're paying more money on defense, more money on defense.
Speaker 3: That's a misnomer, goop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because your offense is super young. None of those guys are on their second contract right right. And oh by the way, but as soon that's coming, that's coming, you're gonna have. That's gonna balance out here. As to Cam Haywards and you know t J. Watson, those guys starts.
Speaker 3: To age outs or right, all right, And it bothers me a little bit that people So back to our first segment yesterday, so many people are down on the Steelers. You know, Okay, the defense was good. It was the highest paid defense in the league. It should be the best defense ever. Okay, maybe salary cap why it was the highest paid defense in the league. But salary cap stuff is a little foggy too, you know, like they have big investments on defense, yes, but they also have a lot of young guys to play a lot on defense too. Porter's cheap and like Elliott's not a bad investment or you know, right, right right, I b Benton and these guys too.
Speaker 2: I mean you have to keep restocking that. You can't just say, well, we're paying our defense just we're not going to use any draft picks on defensive guys. We're not going to add to that.
Speaker 3: No, and again, I have no problem spending on a corner, drafting a nose and maybe a slot and basically making the rest of the draft offense.
Speaker 2: You know, we're two defensive linemen and yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe right, right, right, complete, exactly right. We do that so often Nolan and a nose tackle or whatever.
Speaker 2: Because your offense is going to be probably more expensive.
Speaker 3: This year than I don't think that's going up, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know, your offensive lineman, some of these guys are getting to the point now where you're gonna have to, okay, got to consider paying these guys. You're probably going to spend more quarter back than you did last year.
Speaker 3: Oh you are, Yeah, you almost have to, are right, And yeah, so I mean it's going to start to balance out here. And this is what I meant to say too, Like here's an example, is okay, they they're not spend anything on offense or spend all their money on defense. Well, friar Mouth doesn't cost anything against your cap because you signed him and signed him, right, but he's about to you know, like some of the salary cap stuff is just where they're at in their contract for that given year, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about the tight end position next on the list here. So it's Pat Fryarmuth, Darnell Washington, Michael prut Connor Hayward were the guys that played there. They some other guys that were in and out of there, but yea, yeah, of that group, the only one.
Speaker 3: Whorew It's up is up is pru It And we just we just talked about how they extended friar Mouth. He is going to be the one.
Speaker 2: Washington's going into year three, Hayward's going into year four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went Washington to play all the time. I mean, and I'm not saying he's better than Friar Mooth or anything like that, but if anything, I want more snaps from him, not less. I mean, I know I'm sure people out there any of three wide throw it all over the field. I want. I think that guy's really hard to play against, and you throw the ball a little more whatever. I just think defenses aren't happy he's out there. Not a friar moose expense, necessarily, I could take or leave if preu it comes back or not. And if he does, fine, If he doesn't, you can find someone similar or I'd love to tap into the tight end draft lass.
Speaker 2: There's also a misnomer out there that the Steelers didn't they ignored the tight end position this year. Yeah, yeah, and that's it doesn't add up. First of all, Friar Moose receptions total this year of sixty two was the eighth most for any tight end in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: As a group, they caught ninety six passes this year, nine hundred and thirty three yards and ten touchdowns. Last year in twenty twenty three, it was sixty two catches for five hundred and thirty six yards and two scores.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about ignoring the position, yeah, yeah, three, they ignored the position. That was a valid complaint. Absolutely, Yeah, yeah, that's get it.
Speaker 2: They did not ignore the tight end position this year.
Speaker 3: Now, if you had Fiarmuth on your fantasy team and you think the position well, the Steelers don't throw to the tight end. There were there. They still threw to the tight end. It just wasn't always Firemuth. Yes, if if Friarmuth had cut ninety six passes for nine, let's say he caught eighty nine passes for you know, eight hundred and fifty yards and eight touchdowns, which I think he's capable of. He's capable of that, he'd be one of the top fantasy tight ends out there. But this isn't a situation like the guy in Arizona has, or bruck Bauers had, or some of the you know, some of these other tight ends that were out there catching all these passes. Who's the Who's the number two on those teams? Nobody knows? Not the thing. Yeah, and again we talked about like that offensive that package I put together that Steels had a very high percentage of tight end stuff. But you know, like the Raiders is different because A and A receivers or the backs aren't catching any passes, or you know, things like that too. I forget what the numbers.
Speaker 2: The number two the guy that they drafted a couple of years ago missed half.
Speaker 3: The season, right right, right, Let's have a quick Connor Hayward conversation. Okay, I know he's Cam's brother and great and more than anything, I think everyone has to realize he is a core special teamer and he's a killer brew level special.
Speaker 2: He was a sixth round draft pick. Yes, who is I know he has a te next to his name, but.
Speaker 3: He's not much different than Derek Watt. I mean in terms of playing some offensive snaps. I think the ship's kind of sailed on him as an offensive player. I just think that of the eleven guys you put out there, he's I thought for a while there he might be one of those jack of all trades. You can handle the ball, he can block, he's a pretty good route run or he's good after catch, and all those things are true. But somebody on the rosters a good enough to get you out of a game. Yeah kind of yeah, yeah, yeah. And if he's active on special teams, great because he's gonna be yeah, and he can get you out of the game if two running backs get hurt or I need a lead blocking fullback or whatever. But he can't do Darnell Washington things he can't do. Friarmooth things he can't do nausey things. He can't do Warren things. I wonder if he's a Steeler next year, is special teams value and that enough to be one of your fifty three? It could. It's just gonna be a camp story.
Speaker 2: I mean, they brought in another fullback last year, a true fullback. I can't remember the guy's name.
Speaker 3: I thought he's gonna make the team too. Yeah, I mean it was a downhill thumper fullback type.
Speaker 2: He has to show that he can play special teams and they did better than Connor Hayward.
Speaker 3: And he probably that person. Probably that's that's the area where Heyward, you know. But they didn't use a lot of fullback. No, he didn't line up in the eye and lead the way for nag right, right right.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at it, Hayward played eighteen point three percent of the offensive snaps.
Speaker 3: Which I think you're better if it's less than that. Even Yeah, for it was it twenty four percent. And the key is he didn't get hurt and he's active every game day. Yeah, So over the course of the year, the plan might be when everyone's healthy, he plays eight percent, but of the course of the year it gets to eighteen because he never misses time and others guys did.
Speaker 2: In terms of the special team stuff, he's on the top of the list. Hayward and Killer Brew led the team in special team snaps at three hundred and three each. That's valuable.
Speaker 3: That's very valuable. Yeah. I'm not saying he's got to go.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying anybody who comes in at as a fullback to try to make this roster has to show first and foremost that they can beat Hayward out as a special teams.
Speaker 3: Play right, which was why Watt was here and all because he's the best league blocker in the league. If you draft one, he'll probably be the three. Hayward to me's always be your four tight end. Yeah, you know, just for the you know, on tight end conversation. I don't know that he's a guarantee to make the team, And I don't know that Cam or Tomlin or any of those guys would say he is either, you know, I don't know he's a fixture here forever. But he's interesting because the special team stuff is valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's good at it.
Speaker 3: He's good at it, right, you know, he does strustworthy and right and to your point, he does. Again, he's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none or none, right, But that also has value on game day. It does. People don't think about it on game day.
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, who's our third back here? If this if somebody somebody whoever the back is, let's let's Jalen Warrens. You know, he's got something going.
Speaker 3: On the first quarter? Like Okay, what am I doing? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who's the backup here? Oh well, if we had to, we could put Hayard.
Speaker 3: To give him the ball. Yeah yeah, No, that part's important too, But I don't want him out there eighteen percent of snaps. Yeah, I guess it's my point. I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: Somebody's going to have to pick up the slack of those that twenty four percent of the snaps that prove it played, because I don't think that's going away.
Speaker 3: No, twelve personnel's not going away now. And what's the chances Washington and Frarmouth play seventeen games each right, and every snap of twelve.
Speaker 2: And that's not gonna Yeah, they're not out there all the time together, because I mean.
Speaker 3: That could be a rookie that could be prew it. That could be someone you pick up in June.
Speaker 2: Probably would be somebody that you it's a good tight end draft.
Speaker 3: Which means I'd like to dip my toe in that.
Speaker 2: But there's also going to be veteran guys who are Michael Prewitt like.
Speaker 3: Oh, they'll be waiting around.
Speaker 2: There'll be waiting around, especially if they're just blockers.
Speaker 3: Especially when it's blockers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, I can find one of those guys if he's just going to be out there as my second tight end and twelve personnel and we're going to run the football.
Speaker 3: As much as I love the tight end draft though, too, Let's say you take one in the fifth round. It's the Oregon kid or the Georgia Tech kid, and you know you like them obviously or you wouldn't have taken them, But do you trust them in Week one, you know, to be the pru it. Yeah, they'll have to prove that.
Speaker 2: I mean Washington, Darnell Washington wasn't the blocker as a rookie that he was this year.
Speaker 3: No, I think he's one of the most improved players on the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he took a major step forward. I think he's a killer from his rookie year to his second year. He was he was an Oka blocker as a rookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was huge.
Speaker 2: He's still big.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, but you're not going to find somebody in a draft who has that kind of who's that unicorn like that? I mean, that's a guy I want to be here for the next eight years. And frankly, even though he was a Georgia, he could just be big, an athletic and still be a great blocker. Not that his technique or effort was bad then, but then you spend a whole offseason then he's kick sliding like he's Walter Jones, and it's like, wow, look at that guy.
Speaker 2: Right, So, yeah, I don't know that I want to necessarily count.
Speaker 3: On a Here's the thing that was counting on a rookie.
Speaker 2: Counting on a rookie to do that, Drafting a rookie when you've already utilized draft picks in three of the last four drafts.
Speaker 3: He didn't have a long learning curve too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it takes them. It may work a good tight end class. It may work better to just sign one of these guys, or you know, sign a veteran guy there to fill in that spot because you just paid firemouth. Yeah, so any rookie that you draft by the time he's up, well, farm, he was also going to be up.
Speaker 3: This is gonna sound rough, but you could also take one in the fifth round being back through it, and Hayward might not be on the team. They're gonna keep four, yeah, as much thirteen as they play, They're gonna keep four. Yeah, you know, so we'll see. Yeah, yeah, it all has positions in decent hands though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have a problem with I mean, the top two are pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, were worried as much twelve and thirteen as they play though, if you lost one of those for a long stretch, that would hurt you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and that's why he went and got through it, just in case. Like he's kind of a he.
Speaker 3: Can do belittle both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But anyways, let's get to another break. He is the Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lolly. You're listening to the Driver on the Steelers Audio Network. Matt and now will be back to finish up the show right after this.
Speaker 1: At least, he's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven, home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and Matt Kyle Krabs has updated his big board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that on the on the.
Speaker 2: Thirty third team here post Senior Bowls, it's the buzz through to see who made a big jump here.
Speaker 3: Okay, doesn't talk about who moved up and didn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, the top ten remains the same because none of those guys didn't show. Yeah, yeah, none of those guys were at the Senior Bowl. At eleven, he has Josh Connery at at Oregon, the offensive tackle. He was there.
Speaker 3: I think him and the Ohio State dude are going to move up quickly because they're tackles. Yeah, you know, they're just pure tackles that assuming health with the Ohio State Simmons. Right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: If you're for the Steelers, you want those guys pressing up.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're not going to take a pure tackle or an other lineman in round one, but I think those guys are set to be the risers.
Speaker 2: He is Kenneth Grant, the defensive tackle out of Michigan at twelve.
Speaker 3: Does he really maybe he thinks he's a full time player and maybe he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe he is.
Speaker 2: I think the combine will go a long way. I mean he blows the combine up like some people are expecting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you know, he's.
Speaker 2: Six four and two three hundred and forty pounds and is running a sub five second forty and that kind of stuff and looks good in the position drills.
Speaker 3: Is like, okay, I could see that being the case. Jordan Davis did that, yeah, yeah, and didn't quite pan out. Yeah. I think he's a better player than Jordan Davis, so I hope. So, yes, that's kind of where I'm hoping with that too.
Speaker 2: He has Chavon Ravel at fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again I'm sure some of these are past the medical and we'll go from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Armel Membo, he said, was one of the big winners the offensive lineman at Missouri has him at seventeen album because he said he didn't participate in the Senior Bowl, but he came and he got measured, yes, and the measurements were a little bit better than what people expected, because you never know. I always talk about when people when people said, well, he's listed at six five and you know, two hundred and eighty pounds pounds, why do you listen as a nose tackle. I'm like, he's not really two hundred and eighty pounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real measurements go a long way. Senior Bowl and all that stuff and hand and arm and all that stuff as well. Yeah, it's big.
Speaker 2: Mike Green coming in at nineteen, the dresser out of Marshall.
Speaker 3: He might be off of Ward by nineteen.
Speaker 2: That's good news if you're a Steeler for Yeah, that too. He has Shdor Sanders down at twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we know he's gonna go in the top twenty. Right at twenty one he is Donovan Aziruku, the d dresser out of Boston College.
Speaker 2: That's higher than I see him in a lot of lists.
Speaker 3: It would shock me. But I mean the combine will go edg dresser combine stuff's important with the real import position the drills as well, you know, the three cone all that type of stuff too. It'd be great to see him going in the top twenty.
Speaker 2: Calvin Banks Junior, the offensive tackle out of Texas at twenty two. Tyler Warren all the way down at twenty three for.
Speaker 3: Him, Wow, I think he's gonna go high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too a couple of weeks. Just like Brock Bowers, people are gonna go like, we're gonna get the next Rock Bowers and we're just gonna throw him in the football.
Speaker 3: He's also really physical and a blocker and carries a ball. I mean, I think he's gonna go really high, Like can the Colts pass on him?
Speaker 2: How about this one? Quinn Shawn Jenkins at twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't see that.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight.
Speaker 3: It's pretty high, like his second running back. Yeah, I've heard Henderson in that light. Yeah, Dunkins isn't bad. I mean, I the steels could have been second round. I totally understand our guy. Walter Nolan at thirty four. Okay, like to see that, all right? I said that's pretty low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Colston Loveland down at thirty seven. Benjamin Morrison at thirty eight. The cornerback got a Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was listening to Todd mcshay's he just put out his top fifty and he had Morrison at like forty eight, and he said, I just wanted him in my top fifty. As soon as I know he's clear, I'm gonna put him in the top twenty. Yeah, get just that's all. I just have to wait. It's not his fault. He is.
Speaker 2: Andrew mccoba, the safety out of Texas at thirty nine. That's as high as i've seen him.
Speaker 3: Splotted up, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, so that's interesting. I can't imagine he's a second round pick on him as a Steeler, but maybe free agency and stuff goes your way and you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Alfred Collins at forty two, that's as high as I've seen him.
Speaker 3: I need to do more work, but I'm very intrigued with him. I think he'd be a good Steeler too.
Speaker 2: Gunner Helm at forty five, the tight end out of Texas.
Speaker 3: I've been a tight end. It's ice, out of sight, out of mind, good after the catch.
Speaker 2: You can run right next to him as Elijah or Rojo the tight end out of Miami at forty six. Darius Alexander coming in at forty seven. We've had taken him in the second round, and yeah, you know that's.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize he was on Bruce Feldman's freak list before this. I knew he was a really good athlete, but some of his workout numbers are crazy.
Speaker 2: I talked to him at the comm or the Senior Bowl as well, and they moved him inside and out play him in those tackles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all that, it'd be a really good steeler. Yeah. Tyler Williams at fifty it's late, but yeah, head of Alexander. It's funny that he put Grant so high and Williams so low. Yeah. Maybe he just thinks Grant isn't every down player and Williams isn't. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: He may have been a scheme fit across the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, looking here at the bottom fifty. Here Trey Harris coming in at fifty one, the wide receiver at Mississippi. He's been kind of out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 2: Is there an injury with them? I don't think don't. Yeah, I don't think so. T J Sanders at fifty two South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see him, Yeah, go quick.
Speaker 2: You're looking at Maxwell Harriston at fifty seven, the cornerback out of Kentucky Man. Yeah, Omari and Hampton all the way down at fifty nine. That's the third running back.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, that'retty cheap costs for him, though. You can get him in the field like that. Overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Omar Norman Lott at sixty one, the defensive lineman out of Tennessee.
Speaker 3: There's a lot to work with. He hasn't proved he can play a lot of snaps, but that doesn't mean he can't.
Speaker 2: Looking here at Caleb Johnson at sixty nine, the running back out of Iowa, I'm a believer. Xavier Verstrepo, the wide receiver out of Miami at seventy.
Speaker 3: A little smaller than i'd like for the Steelers, but he's a chain mover and I think he's gonna have a good career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just want to get the ball in his hands. Let's see here Shamar Turner at the Texas A and m at seventy four.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's gonna go way higher than that. Yeah, I think he could go in the top fifteen. I mean the.
Speaker 2: Production is not great, so I mentioned that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, not as high on him as some other people are.
Speaker 3: For I'd like to read his right up on him. I don't think he'll be a Steeler, but I'm curious what he's seeing that he has questions about.
Speaker 2: He also has Donovan Jackson at seventy seven.
Speaker 3: From Ohio State. Pretty low.
Speaker 2: It's pretty low there. Jack Sawyer out of the.
Speaker 3: First round by I don't know that he's the first rounder, and eighty seems low.
Speaker 2: He's got Azerie Thomas at seventy six, cornerback of FDA stay for that too. Yeah, it gets tough at this point.
Speaker 3: No, I mean a lot of these guys are in the same tier as just a big tier. Yeah, and that's the thing that people mad here remember about that Jack Betch all the way down at eighty five. M I bet he doesn't run great.
Speaker 2: If I could get Jack Betch in the third round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sign up, sign me up. I'm kind of hoping he runs like a four to six one. Uh.
Speaker 2: He's got Jaalen Royals at eighty seven. So written in that same area right behind Charles Grant.
Speaker 3: I'm a buyer at price and all those guys, yeah, William and Mary, Charles Grant, I assume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jaylen Milroe at eighty eight.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to do with them at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Uh, savve On Wye, but that's his number three quarterback by the way. Yeah, he hasn't mentioned dart Or Okay, savvy On Williams, the wide receiver at a TCU, the monster at ninety one.
Speaker 2: It'd fit in Jackson Dart at ninety two.
Speaker 3: I get it. I think some of this Senior Bowl first round buzz is a little manufacturer on him. Bad at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 2: You know, Traveon Henderson at ninety four.
Speaker 3: I think he'll go way ahead of that probably so. Yeah, Quincy was a monster in the college playoffs, the average like nine yards of carry.
Speaker 2: Quincy Riley, the cornerback out of Louisville at ninety seven.
Speaker 3: I think that stock's going up, up, up.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 3: Same with Porter the other corner, his number one.
Speaker 2: Hundred player, Cam Scatibow, the running back out of Arizona State. Not a lot of running backs in that top one.
Speaker 3: Hundred, No, but you'd be pretty happy taking Scatabo after ninety nine dudes are off the board. Yeah, I mean, I bet he's He could be offensive Rookie of the Year next year. He couldn't be one of those guys Henderson could be. Yeah, you're talking where some of these guys guys go. Yeah, that running back classes something, Yeah, gotta get one.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That you want to overreach for the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Class in this I know, I like some of the fifth round type dudes a lot better than Dart or mill Row. At this point, maybe my opinion changes, But back to segment one. In the next month or so, we're going to know who the starter is probably and that'll go a long way to saying what are you willing to invest in this draft at quarterback?
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody asked me on the message board on YouTube, but today, you know, how does where does Jackson Dart's skill set match up with Justin with that Adustin Fields. I'm like, no, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: He's not a bad athlete, but he's not design runs for him. He's not running quarterback power, you know, not at all.
Speaker 2: He just wasn't asked to do that at Mississippi, And I don't know that that's you know, looking at his body type and everything, and you're not going to do that with him.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sure he looked fine on the hoof. I mean, he looks like a pretty well built.
Speaker 2: He's a thicker, thicker guy body type. Body type he and Justin Fields are similar.
Speaker 3: But not skill set. No, he's a one read guy too. I mean he it really never showed on tape and he goes through his progressions. That's a hard one to sell too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, absolutely. Anyways, Matt, that's going to do it for today's show.
Speaker 3: Good one.
Speaker 2: So for my partner Matt Williamson, for Justin Miller here on site keeping us on the air, I am Dale, Lollie. We thank you for listening to this edition of the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network.