Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And Donald Trump isn't even bothering to call world leaders back on tariffs. We have such a great show for you today. The New Abnormals and the Levy stops by to talk about the market chaos caused by Trump's temperamental tariffs. Then we'll talk to Congressman Gregory Meeks about how Congress can stop Trump's tariff madness. But first the news.
Speaker 2: So, one of the funny things about the new Trump two point zero regime is that to keep disbanding these people who might oversee crimes, they make commit and this time it's the Crypto Enforcement Team, which seems pretty important for money laundering purposes, since while I'm someone with money in crypto, I also know, boy, is it easy to launder money through it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So basically the US Department of Justice is disbanded crypto. Crypto is a thing that is quite easy to use for any number of things, and largely that means the Justice Department disbanding its Crypto Enforcement unit will mean that there won't be investigations of cryptno and that means any number of things, but the worst of which is that people will do crypto scams and they will not get caught for it or they will not be held accountable, and this will mean they'll be a lot more fraud. There'll be a lot more of these kind of stuff and it's obviously bad for everyone. And you know, again we don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but if you are anti anti crime, usually where there is smoke, there.
Speaker 2: Is fire, Yeah, I especially when you're wheeling and dealing meme coins with you and your wife's names on it. Right, So, as well as other things that they're dismantling is election security and Elon Musks Doge is on the.
Speaker 1: Task election security at risk. As Elon Musk dismantles critical network, you'll be shocked. This is very like dogy stuff. Right, We're going to take apard parts of the government that work well in order to save you money and perhaps also do stuff we want. So one of the things that they've done is they've had you know, some election security that has kept sort of cyber attacks and those kind of threats at bay. There's been that there's been Russia and China there's the far right of course too. These attacks they're meant to be disruptive, but they would like to change the elections or it's just there's quite a lot of reasons why we really want to see account ability and transparency when it comes to our elections, and we really don't want to see Musk disbanding things. And you know, if we just want to take a minute and remember that Elon Musk did this to Twitter and what happened is that Twitter works much less well now.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Part of this is a war on the administrative state. The goal here is to dismantle the federal government, to make it so it doesn't work that well, so that people aren't relying on it right now. The federal government does things that you know, they are avoiding catastrophe, right They are, you know, monitoring the air and the water and certain foods, and these are things that you don't think add value, but when you are in the middle of you know, they prevent people from getting poisoned from you know, weird kind of you know, hepatitis that gets into food and stuff like that. What happens when you disassemble these guardrails is you are much likely to have a catastrophe. And so obviously they don't want safe and secure elections, and you know, any kind of hacking serves them right because then they can say it was stolen if they lose, they can say it was fine if they win. So they really don't want things to work. And that's what we're seeing here.
Speaker 2: Yep, that sounds right. So I'm a gen x man, and one of the things that's gen x men. I know one of the things that gen x men do is we watch World War two documentaries. We've put hundreds of hours into them. I don't seem to recall Trump's claim that Nazis treated Jewish prisoners with quote unquote love to be accurate with what I've seen in those documentaries.
Speaker 1: Trump keeps sort of going right up to the line here with the anti semitism. I mean, certainly he's also engaged in anti Semitism. But you know, nt Yaho's presidency is inexetorbally linked to his right that Netyel made a real concerted effort to say that he was good for Israel, to make the case that trump Ism would be good for Israel. This is Trump says, he said so basically when he was I guess he's talking about the hostages, and he said, did the Kammahamas show any signs of help or liking you? Did they wink? Did they give you a piece of bread? Extra? Did they give you a meal on the side, like you know what happened in Germany? Trump said, absurdly, comparing the hostages situation to the Holocaust, where they murdered six million Jews. People would try to help people that were in unbelievable distress. The President went on, he really has Are we sure RFK is the one with the worms in his brain? The President went on, suggesting that the Nazis were known for their generosity. No, they didn't do that, they'd slap us. Trump said, the hostages told him about Hamas while they were sitting next to a man who is currently leading Israel's genocide and Gaza. Yeah, you guys, not good, not good, not good smoy.
Speaker 2: We touched later on in the show on the absolute chaos in the markets today. Now the markets have closed, they didn't crush quite as hard as we thought. We're still down about seven thousand points, but it went up twenty five hundred points. But Fox commentator Charles Gasparino had a quote that really resonated with you. Let me play it for the listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gaspell mixed messaging.
Speaker 4: How can you buy? How can you doubt them? I mean, well, I mean because of the mixed messaging, how can you buy? How can you doubt them? I mean, let's be clear, what happened. You know who capitulated here and why? And you know, I don't want to say this because I'm a patriot, I'm an American, but it is the White House who capitulated based on everything I hear and all my sources, and the reason why is because of the bond market and what happened last night. You know, Bessen knows this better than anybody. When you have yields on the ten year rising to five percent, stuff starts shutting down when you have the lending markets screwed up. By the way, who was dumping the bonds? Somebody asked them if it was China, right, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: It was Japan.
Speaker 4: While he was negotiating with Japan, Japan, according to my sources, were running major money management firms that.
Speaker 1: Are involved in the bond market.
Speaker 4: Without giving up names, Japan was dumping bonds because they believe this was not a great place to do business. That forced their hands. Now, which you can say I think legitimately. Here is Trump decided to take the win. And here's why. There was overwhelmingly, you know, deal potential here among the entire world except for maybe China, right, everybody really wanted something.
Speaker 3: So he did take the win.
Speaker 4: But make make no mistake about it, Peter Navara was talking as of yesterday about not taking the win, and.
Speaker 3: Now they did.
Speaker 4: And it's all because of a bond market.
Speaker 1: I want to point out, Yeah, I don't know. Charles Gasparino is going to end up in a detention camp. Maybe we'll be in one together, Gaspo. Good for you for saying the truth on Fox News. Good for him, he's definitely going to a Louisiana detention camp. Not allowed to say bad things about dear leader. This whole thing was stupid. It was stupid. You can't onshore manufacturing just by putting on tariffs. We all know this. We've been told it again and again and again. It was a real mad King Donald's moment. But the one bright spot, besides the fact that all of these people lost so much money, that wasn't the bright spot The bright spot was watching some of the richest people in the world be pathetically groveling to Donald Trump, and for that that is our moment of zen. Andy Levy is the co host of The Daily Beasts The New Abnormal. Hello Andy Levy.
Speaker 5: Hello Mali Junkfest.
Speaker 1: We are here today. So we had Liberation Day. That was a week ago. We were liberated. It's a week later. We've been liberated. Our four oh one ks are now four oh one zip for one each for one right exactly. We've been liberated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've been liberated from our need to ever retire.
Speaker 1: Yes, now that that's over. Donald Trump has paused the tariffs for ninety days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, the markets are being good little boys and their respond to and shooting up, and I just like, I look at this and I'm like, how are you falling for this? How are you continually falling for this? And then someone I can't remember who on Blue Sky put up some stuff that Bill Ackman had been tweeting.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was me.
Speaker 3: That was me? Was that you? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can I just reat it? I mean, how please? I wish we were alive so we could figure out if people like this, let me give you a two second explainer on Bill Lackman, very rich, made a ton of money in hedge funds. Yet another person who we all thought was smart before he started tweeting. His pin tweet from sixteen minutes ago is that was brilliantly executed at real Donald Trump textbook Comma art of the Deal. Period. Then there's another one from twenty seven minutes ago ampersand Secretary Scott Bessett Rock's explanation point, and from forty six minutes ago, we're seeing my man, he's processing making money again, thank you on behalf of all Americans, period.
Speaker 5: And this is like I believe it was just yesterday that he was saying how he couldn't believe what was happening, and that I believe he signed one. My bad for supporting Trump basically, or for thinking that Trump wouldn't do what Trump said he was going to do during the campaign, which was in act these ridiculous tariffs. First of all, Bill Ackman, don't be thanking people on my behalf.
Speaker 1: I'm just one of the American people. So I like to be involved in anything Bill Ackman's doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did not. I have not given you my proxy. I'm at the point where I think his company should be put in receivership because I think there's something very wrong with this dude.
Speaker 1: Bill Ackman or Donald Trump or both.
Speaker 5: Bill Ackman he's got a.
Speaker 1: Hedge fund, but sure, I mean, I don't.
Speaker 5: Know, whatever he does for a living, he should be it should be taken away from him because he should not be allowed to deal with a lot of us are dealing with elderly parents or grandparents who you know, they reach a point and you can't really let them deal with money. And I think Bill Ackman's, you know, a little younger, but I think he's at that point. Donald Trump is I actually realized this, I think yesterday, because it's a word I hadn't thought of in forever. He's a mercantilist.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: The mercantile system was like super popular in I want to say, like I don't know, the Middle Ages or like the beginning of the Enlightenment maybe, And mercantilism is basically what you want is you want to export everything and import nothing. And it's been a completely discredited theory of economics because it, you know, surprise, surprise led to a lot of wars. It led to colonialism because if you don't have the products to export or the raw materials and you don't want to import, what do you do You take over the places that do have those. And this is Donald Trump's worldview. He really thinks that having a trade deficit is like the worst thing in the world. So they've now gone from Originally I thought they wanted to take us back to the nineteen fifties. Then I thought it was the eighteen fifties, and now I'm fairly certain it's like the sixteen and seventeen fifties.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: It just never ends.
Speaker 1: One of the many things I appreciate about how stupid this is is that here's Donald Trump. He is not so smart. He has very rich people decided that he would be good for the markets based on almost nothing. It was like they were in a coma from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty. Now here we are. It is twenty twenty five. Yesternight. The markets were cratering and Donald Trump was having a make coal Great Again event. Okay, they are like, you know many coal plants there are in the United States. There are two hundred coal plants. Their last large coal fire power plant was built in twenty thirteen. Okay, but we're going to change all that, Molly, Yeah, because we're going to make a great again exactly. So, I mean, I just want so we like he loves call, he loves unvaccinated children, he loves tariffs. He doesn't really understand how any of this works. Now here's a question. So we now see there are no guardrails on Trump, right, disappearing grad students, crashing the economy. There are no grown ups in the room. So anything Trump does, he's going to do it ten times worse in twenty twenty four than he did in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: Discuss I mean, that much is true. And it's interesting in that a lot of the lower federal courts have been very good in these past couple months in ruling against Trump, in allowing temporary restraining orders and stays and all that stuff, and then yesterday there comes the Supreme Court to basically handwave all of that away. I think, probably more than anything, the MAGA capture of the judiciary is maybe the leading cause of our downfall right now, because that was sort of like the ultimate guardrail, you know, if Congress wasn't going to do its job, and the president was gonna think he was an emperor. It was always like, well, at least we have the courts and we can sit here and say now that's illegal, that's unconstitutional. We don't really have that anymore. We have it a little bit. Like I said, the lower federal courts have been doing pretty good work. I assume that will all change now that the Supreme Court says, for example, that the habeas suits of people that have been kidnapped to Texas to Louisiana, that's all the Fifth Circuit. And that's fairly maga. So I think we're kind of screwed there. But that really was I think the ultimate guardrail, and thanks to the Supreme Court, we've lost it.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong. I think this Supreme Court is wild. They have of control. That's sad. I also think that they did say everybody agreed that you have a right to do process even if you are not a citizen, and we heard Trump saying no if you're notices and you know, never right to do process. The only people who have a right to do process or citizens. So they're spinning this as a win, and in some ways, certainly this court does absolutely suck beyond measure. But I mean, the one thing I would say is don't let Trump World spin you harder than they're already doing. Like they came out and was like this is a win for MAGA, and it is and it isn't. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The thing is though, the part that isn't is not great. The problem is that the Supreme Court, particularly the I think it was the five justices that issued this decision.
Speaker 1: Everyone but the liberals and Jay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they issued it what procureum, so it wasn't signed because they're ultimately kind of cowardly.
Speaker 1: Just put a lido on each one, I know.
Speaker 5: But this whole thing where it's like, oh no, you still have habeas right. But instead of saying, hey, you can't kidnap people off the streets and send them to Louisiana to then move them to El Salvador, what they said was, well, no, before they're sent to another country, they have to have a habeas suit. Do you really think that the poor people who are I would assume most of them are not lawyers, are not highly educated. Do you think they're even going to know that they have this right as they sit there in a Louisiana detention center. Like to me, I understand what you're saying, and I think legally you're absolutely right. But I think in reality, which is someplace where I think the Supreme Court doesn't exist, or in which the Supreme Court doesn't exist, none of these people are going to know that they have this right. And I do not have any faith whatsoever that their captors are going to inform them of this right. And my guess is they'll be well on their way to Al Salvador. You know, a lot of the times we don't even know they've been taken until they're gone. So what's the point of what's the point of having this right if you're already you know, you've already been shipped off to a foreign prison.
Speaker 3: A hell?
Speaker 5: And then someone says, oh, no, well you had this right. I don't know why you didn't exercise it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What you're saying here is that the rule of law stuff that Trump and Ice have really perverted the rule of law. Ye've got America to a place where a lot of lawless stuff is happening under Trump's watch. And that's a real thing. And that is you know, it's that question of how much is the sort of rule of law worth right, how much is American democracy worth? And that is a I mean, I think we do have to talk about that. But Trump world continues to lose in the courts, and they do often ignore it, so that is like also worth thinking about. But they do continue to lose, and when there's not a ton of legal justification for what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Agreed, And I agree with you that it is important that they continue to lose, at least in the unsupreme courts of the land, particularly since I have this wild hope Molly that when all of this is over, there's going to be a mass trial that maybe takes place in like one city and we can call the trials by the name of that city. And I do think it's going to be important to have a long list of just how many times and how often all these people broke the law and subverted the constitution, acted unconstitutionally, how many people died because of all the things that they are doing. So I agree with you it's very important that these lower courts keep ruling against the administration, and it's very important that the suits keep being brought by the ACLU and the countless other groups that are doing that. I mean, God bless them. It's just as you said, they don't seem to really care. So in the moment, it gets really frustrating because you're like, no, you can't do that, and they're like stop us, right, and.
Speaker 1: Again, that is what the they want. I talk to a lot of these experts in authoritarianism and how to prevent authoritarianism and how to prevent the authoritarian slide, and part of it is that this is a game of inches, not feet. So when we ask ourselves in the pundit industrial complex, as we are in the content minds, when we ask ourselves like will this breakthrough? Does this matter? Everything matters, Every single fucking thing matters. This weekend, millions of people marched in their cities and their towns. That matters. And I think that we need to just keep reminding ourselves and our listeners that all of this, we are doing the things to protect our norms and institutions, and we just have to keep going. I get how frustrating it is for you, I get how frustrating it is for everyone, but it is what maps matters is that we stay the course and that we believe. You know, it's funny because it's like public sentiment towards Trump. He came in riding on this approval rating. He's squandered almost all of it, and things are changing and that's good, but I understand there's frustration, and that is why we just have to trust that all of us doing the right thing will eventually win out. But it's very dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I completely agree with you, and you know, all the marches and rallies over the weekend were absolutely fantastic, and I do think it's important, like you said, for people like us to be pushing that because you know, fairly soon all the content minds that you talked over are going to be coal mines.
Speaker 1: So that's right.
Speaker 5: We got to talk while we can, right.
Speaker 1: And only two hundred places for us to work.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean it's almost as bad as the media right now. I do think you're absolutely right. And when I say it's frustrating, it's because it's frustrating. But we absolutely can't stop. And even more than you know, you and me, the people who really can't stop are the ACLU and all these other groups that are bringing these lawsuits and all the people that are going out to these marches and saying.
Speaker 3: Hell no to all of this.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if I'm half joking about the trials after all of this is over. But I do think at some point all of this will be over. I think a lot of damage will be done and a lot of people will be hurt and die before it is. But I do have at least the faith that you know, like every other totalitarian, authoritarian fascist regime in history, it will eventually crumble. As you said, it's important to be fighting the whole way through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what was I thought pretty interesting when I took to Sarah Longwell, who does these focus groups, and she was talking about how she had done these two focus groups, one very liberal, one sort of very centrist, and both times it said they just want their leaders to fight. And again, this comes back to this idea that Pritzkers people were talking about. Pritzger's chief of staff was writing about this idea that it's not left versus center, it's fight versus cave, and that is where we are right now. Are you going to fight for norms and institutions? Are you going to fight for American democracy as we know it? Or are you going to cave and people? Sometimes I'll be in conversations where a friend of mine will say, you know, where are you going to move when things go bad? You're going to move to Europe? You can move to Canada, you know, And I always say, no, I'm going to fight. I'm going to stay here. You know. My plan B is that they'll you know, I'll end up and hopefully not. But you know, I mean that's what this is. There is no this is our plan BA, You're like.
Speaker 5: No, I know. Look, I know people also that have been talking about it's become a little less of a thought experiment for some people I know as to where they would go. And it was always sort of the people who would always talk about, I'm leaving the country where the barber Streisands of the world and the super rich, the people who could very easily just pick up and go live anywhere and live out their days in comfort. I do feel like that's kind of seeping down a little bit towards more normal people in the sense that it's become like a conversation. I don't think anyone that I know is seriously planning it, but I do know they're actually like say, you know, they're saying, like, like, what you said MA, like, where would you go and what would you do? And there are people I know who have been like, well, I've been looking into X, you know, and I've never heard that before. I really had only heard that from celebrities. I just had never heard it from normies. And it's wild that we are at that point. Look, I'm with you, I'm you know, I got nowhere to go. I don't even have a passport, Molly.
Speaker 1: You don't have a passport.
Speaker 5: You need a pass for No. Well, I think without a passport, they can't send me to El Salvador. So I think I am being really smart. Yeah, oh I've thought this through. Yeah, I'm just gonna sit there and say, no passport and I don't have a real ID driver's license.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 5: You can't even send me to Canada pal So so just let me go. They'll and they'll say he's got.
Speaker 1: Us, Andy Laby. I'm not sure who got who here. Congressman Gregory Meeks represents New York's fifth district. Welcome to fast Politics, Representative meets thank you, good to be with you. So we are right out of tariff gate or is it tariff apocalypse? The tariff apocalypse now the tariffs are on pause. One of the things that you did, which I think is very smart, is you had legislation to try and stop Trump from adding on these tariffs. And it was because Trump said he had this power that he didn't. So explain to us what your legislation was and is.
Speaker 3: Let me just say this Congress has the rights to to deal with tariffs. He comes up with and the only way that he can impose a tariff is say that it's an emergency. So he says he makes up an emergency.
Speaker 6: He goes from when you know, for Canada, first it was dealing with people crossing the border or dealing with fentanol, none of which is true.
Speaker 3: What we wanted to do is to make sure that there's a vote on the floor so we know how members feel because we're supposed to be having the oversight of the president, etc. So I had a resolution with personal resolution that I put together so that they would be fifteen days if not acted on, they would be a vote on the floor. So they came up with some crazy rule that a day is not a day, and for this first one it says for the whole year, so that it would prevent the bill from getting on the floor. We're going to do what's called emotion to discharge also to get it on the floor anyway, we just need two or three Republicans and we're working on that because this is ridiculous. You know, they're trying to avoid a vote of Congress, and we need to put all of the Republicans. Let us know where you are. Either you four tariffs or you're not. So that was the first bell that I put forward personal resolution, and we're going to do a motion of discharge on that. And then with this new set of tariffs that he just placed the other day, we did drop another one and so they came out with the same kind of rule that prevents it from hitting the floor. So we're back to the same thing and we're not gonna let it go. We're going to then do another motion to discharge so that we can get a vote on the floor so the American people know where Congress stands. Now there's another bell that's floating. It was bipartisan in the Senate. So we have now looking at the House of Republican. Representative Bacon is going to introduce the exact same bill that Congress needs to have the power, take the power bet that the Constitution gave us. So I'm hoping that they let that bill on the floor so that we can vote on it. So we've got all of these things going at the same time.
Speaker 1: So that bill has a bunch of Republicans, that has the sort of four Senate Republicans behind it, which is McConnell, Murkowski, Collins, and oh Ram Paul. Is unusual to have ran Paul in a Democratic bill. But the problem with a lot of this legislation, and Trump has still thirteen hundred plus days in his administration left, so there are going to be times when Congress is going to at least try to check him. He has said that he would veto that bill. Do you think there's a way now that people are starting to see that Trump is really unfettered by normalcy? Is a nice way to put it. Do you think there's a world in which you can get a veto proof major?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we're going to put it to the test, because you know, for years and years the Republicans have said that they were against terras. Now this was Joe Biden or Barack Obama or Bill Clinton, any Democrat, they would be against this We're going to find out where they are on this issue. And that's what this is about. So it's about Congress on us wrestling back our authority. But since they have the numbers in the House and in the Senate, we Democrats are going to fight and we're going to use every tool that we have so that the American people can know what's going on and that how this president has broke his promises. Remember, we've got to hold him accountable, you know. And I just say this so you know, in any case, whoever you elect, whoever's elected, you had to hold them accountable once they're elected. Now, he said on day one, inflation would go down, prices would go down on day one, and just the opposite, this is the largest tax increase in peacetime history. Hasn't happened. Inflation is going back up. People are losing their four oh one case. The cost of food, the cost of technology, the cost of cause are all going up. We've got to fight for the American people. That's what we're going to go.
Speaker 1: So you have an opportunity now right Trump has one big, beautiful bill. Part of these tariffs were to put pressure on Republicans to pass this tax cut. That's one big beautiful bill. Republicans have a very very very small minority in the House, one two seats. Can you there are defectors? Clearly we know certain people Thomas Matsey that crew will not sign on. The last time with the cr the reason that the legislation got out of the House was because Trump and Elon went around and whipped votes. Can you come up the works enough so that this big beautiful bill doesn't pass.
Speaker 3: We're working on it. We just need three, right, just need three. And so I'm doing everything that I can, and I know that Leader Jefferies and our Democratic leadership are talking and working to just get three members to stand up because guess what they know is hurting their people in their distance. We are doing everything that we can behind the scenes, in front of the scenes, and just talking to individuals that know the damage that these taks will give to their people. Now that's why, for example, I joined to show the bipartisanship that I'm ready to have. I joined the bill with in the Bacon to make it. You know, so the Democrats are ready to do the right thing. We'll join with Republicans and they should join with us. And so I'm hopeful that we will get the three that we need so that we can get these bills on the floor and vote on.
Speaker 1: So, this big beautiful bill that Trump wants to pass, that he's trying to get through before, he's trying to get some sort of version of it, you know, the very the sort of outline passed before people leave for codels and for passover. Do you think that people understand that it will grow the debt? I mean what I've seen the that I've seen the scoring on that that it will actually add to the deficit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because what they're doing, they're doing a reverse robinhood. They want to take from the poor to give tax cuts to the rich. So with this big budget bill, what it does and the bill that was passed the continuing resolution, it demanded that they cut eight hundred and a billion dollars, which means if you just use math, because you could cut everything else, and that only turns up to two hundred and twenty billion dollars. So it means that you have to cut medicaid to hurt people. And what do they want to do the money. They're not using the money really to reduce the deficit. They're using the money to give to the billionaires for their tax cut. And that's why Republicans don't want to hold town hall meetings anymore because people are going to hold them accountable. So I'm hopeful that they realize that, you know, thou constitution says that you have a president, but not a king, and they don't have to follow a do everything. When he say jump, jump, you know he's talking about how you know people are kissing his whatever. You know, that's he's really talking about. The Republicans. He literally told them just to close their eyes, don't even think about this vote the way I'll tell you to vote. That's not who should be. And members of Congress, Democrats and Republicans alike, we took an oath the office not to follow a man, but to protect the country. So I'm hoped that there's go and the way you hope because the people still hold the power. So that's what is recently set on the floor that they can run, but they cannot hide from the American people, and we Democrats have got to make sure that we are letting the people know. And that's why admire you and your show and your listeners, because they are getting the facts and that's why just this past weekend, we saw people all across America saying there are against these tax cuts, They're against these tariffs, not only all over America, but all over the world. These demonstrations took place, and that's how I think that you make change happen.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the protests for one more minute. We're seeing mass protests, millions of people, all different states, all different cities, really wide swaths. They want their electeds to fight. That's really what they don't have. They want. They don't like Dog, they don't like Trump. Trump's back to forty one percent approval rating. You know, He's this is sort of the high water mark of his first presidency. Do you feel there's a vibe shift in DC.
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do. Look, my staff was just yelling at me because I'm calling it like it is. I was calling the president Elijah and did to say anything about it. I'll fight and stand up. We got to stand in his face and let him know and tell the truth. Here's a guy that you know, talk about economy and making a deal. He bankrupted six of his own businesses. He's not a successful businessman, and we've got to stand up and fight, and I think that's what's happening. I think there's been dialogue in conversation between Democratic House members and Democratic Senate members so that we don't have the miss direction that we had, because we've got to now sit down and just the way. Look, I gotta tell you, I'm from the streets before I became a member of Congress and wearing this tie. I grew up in public housing and I had to deal with bullies. And the way you deal with the bully is you stand up to them, and if they punch at you, you punch back at them. You don't run from them. And I think that's what you're gonna do now as Democrats. We have running from this guy. He's a bully, he's a liar, he's a cheetah. He doesn't care about the common, average day person. And we're going to stand up to him. And just as he's blinked for ninety days, right now, we're gonna make him blink.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Representative Meets.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. Thank you for what you do on a regular basis, delivering truth in the message out there. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: They no moment Jesse Cannon Smiley.
Speaker 2: Todd Lyons, who is a US Immigration Agency head, says he wants to run deportations like Amazon Prime for human beings. And well, if there's a sound in the background, that might be me tying the news for myself.
Speaker 1: These people have squandered what little goodwill Americans have had towards them, so, you know, they crash the markets for no reason. They're disappearing grad students. They're doing all of this incredibly. You know, they're just fucking with every part of the federal government in the hopes of saving money so they can get a tax cut through. And now the ICE director wants to run deportations like Amazon Prime for human beings. You know, they're going to use this Alien Enemies Act. By the way, the fact that we're not at war and the whole point of the Alien Enemies Act is a wartime power, and this fucking Supreme Court is letting them do it because Alito and Thomas are Fox News anchors. It is just so annoying and so dispiriting, and that is our moment of Buck Ray. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.