Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: I'm Jim Stativik along with Nora Melinda. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today. We're joined by Bloomberg News Deputy team leader for US Equities, Jess Menton. Jess, if you're looking at stocks that are moving lower.
Speaker 3: Wow, you got a lot to choose from.
Speaker 4: There is a lot today, and of course I have to talk about Walmart, just given its among some of the top decliners in the S and P five hundred also a doubt component, so that's why you've seen that weighing on that. So that stalks it down about five percent on pace for its worst day since February twentieth. It's an interesting story here because when it comes to Walmart, retailer is a big tell on the consumer. So it did have a rare profit miss and it was actually the first time in three years, so that did overshadow some of the strength we saw when it came to higher sales growth. But I wanted to point out actually coming into this year, Walmart was trading more like a growth stock rather than a value stock before it reported its earnings back in February. If you looked over like a twelve month basis, it was up around seventy percent. So there's only two other mag seven stocks that didn't outperform at that time. It was like a Video and Tesla. So it's an interesting story just given words valuation was coming into this year, and obviously back to school shopping seasons second most important for retailers, ahead of course the holiday shopping season. So looking at that, but even though you saw some of this rare profit miss and some of those higher claims, there still was a bright spot when it came to sales. But again we'll still have others raw stores reporting after the bell. We heard from Target earlier this week, and so keeping a close eye on that. And obviously it's grocery business and how important that is when you're those ties to inflation and with even some of the tariff issues there, those still are going to take a while for a lot of that to show up in the company's report.
Speaker 5: Right, and you really are seeing some weakness here. Walmart shares down as much as four or five point five percent in trading today. But when look at Wall Street, we are still seeing forty three buys, one hold and one sell. So it doesn't seem as though it's too much of a negative shock here quite yet. Talk to us about Cody. You're also keeping an eye there.
Speaker 3: Adjusts.
Speaker 4: This is quite the drop, so it's down over twenty one percent. The taker symbol on this is Cooty and also of course it's on Paceport, its worst day actually since March of twenty twenty. So this is an important company because it is also in the consumer type of retail space, so beauty and sense type of company. So to put into context for how it's tied to some of these, it's the Rimmel owner, and it actually posted a unexpected quarterly adjusted loss of five cents per share. Analysts over at Deutsche Bank though they were flagging out that company also faces some transitions here and setbacks from internal executive challenges, but they think that the company can kind of get over potentially that hurdle. But it was of course a setback and indisputable there. But that is one of those stocks really getting pummeled, actually down twenty one point five percent.
Speaker 1: Right now, we got to save some time for cracker Barrel. I don't understand. I don't understand the discourse here around this logo change, which is just has hit the stock so hard.
Speaker 4: It really hasn't. I mean, I'm from the South, I've lived there years.
Speaker 1: Or emblematic of the world we live in when like you know, offspring of politicians are getting involved in this logo dispute with the company.
Speaker 4: It's true, and I always thought about, you know what it'd be in the highways in Texas where you'd see kind of the uh rolling, sort of the chairs they had outside the business. Same in Virginia, right exactly, but you did see this so specifically the ticker symbol for a cracker barrel c b RL on this and it's down actually eight percent right now, on pace for its worst day since June tenth. But also it's been on a string of losses right now. So EXTIMUUS declines to a fifth straight day, So there's a wave. Of course, Tim was talking about that wave of social media post surrounding that recent logo change there and really kind of disrupting a lot of this. So the restaurant operator actually issued a statement back on August nineteenth, so that would have been on Tuesday announcing that it would be launching a new campaign featuring country music per performer Jordan Davis. So while also tweaking its logo, so a little bit different here, probably unexpected for people, to Tim's point, a lot of people jumping in on this, and then Cracker Barrel actually was one of the top trading tickers on stock twits, so my belief of the retail crowd as well talking about this. So Cracker Barrel didn't immediately reply to a request for comments for reporters that are on that story right now, But it's an interesting move here, and especially just given not even just today's losses, but the stream that it's been on for a while.
Speaker 3: I will say.
Speaker 1: Michael Halen of Bloomberg Intelligence, he's a senior analyst. He says he does not expect Cracker Barrel to experience a prolonged negative reaction, worries that the misinformation on social media and concern about the post will result in such similar to what happened with bud Light.
Speaker 3: Our quote unfounded. According to a recent note that he wrote.
Speaker 2: The Stockmover's report from Bloomberg Radio check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street, and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App.