Speaker 1: Welcome to Is this a great game or what? And our special guest today is Hall of Fame broadcaster and my dear friend Eric Nadell. Eric, meet Jeff Kirchen. You haven't seen him since he was like four feet tall, which.
Speaker 2: Was two weeks ago. But say hi to Jeff after all these years.
Speaker 3: Hi, Jeff, How tall are you now? Jeff?
Speaker 4: I'm a whopping five foot six and a half, which is considered a giant in the Kirkchen family.
Speaker 1: Right right, So Eric, let's start from the top here. You signed in for this podcast as Jeff Stone, one of my all time favorite players. Explain the thinking there.
Speaker 3: I just knew he's one of your all time favorite players, the name that would amuse you the most. Else I consider Jeff Bronki because he was born in Afghanistan, and I believe he's the only Major leaguer from Afghanistan. But I figured Jeff how to go with Jeff Stone because of how many good quotes he gave you over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, Jeff. Jeffstone is one of the sweetest men I've ever met. He was a good baseball player, but he was much better than the minor leagues in the big leagues. But he's the guy who grew up in a cornfield in Missouri and ends up in Oregon for his first year.
Speaker 3: In pro ball.
Speaker 1: And he's standing in the outfield during a pitching change and he asks the right fielder is that the same moon that they have at home? But that's the question that Jeff Stone asked the right fielder. But he was at Eric. I'm right about him, right.
Speaker 2: He was absolutely as friendly and as nice a guy as you've ever met.
Speaker 3: Right, he was. He was outwardly friendly, and he was really fast. Now he didn't have all the skills you needed to be a major league, but he was really fast.
Speaker 1: Jeff he played winter ball in Mexico and bought a television there and then left it in Mexico when he came back to the States, and they said, why did you bring the TV back? And he said, well, I didn't think it would get the stations here in this country, so he left it in Mexico. And I repeat, it sounds mean spirited, I'm not. This is Jeff Stone, sweet, sweet guy and one of my favorite guys I ever covered.
Speaker 3: Sorry about that, you know what I think about the same moon. They made a movie called a Miss Ma Luna, which means the same Moon, and it's about a woman who immigrates to the United States and leaves her child behind, but points at the moon before she leaves and says, every night, look at the moon and know that I'm looking at the same moon, and that will bond us together. And I've seen the movie a couple of times. It's a really sweet movie. But every time I see the name of the movie, I think it just.
Speaker 1: It's so good. And speaking of movie, Jeff, speaking of movies. When when I first off that the house that you were born in, or after you were born, the house you went to was like three hundred yards from Eric Nadell's house. He was the one that told me, Tim, there's a house on our street or it's one street over, you should buy that house. And then we did. We bought that house, so I did. I got through my early years in Texas because of Eric. He told me what to do there.
Speaker 2: Eric, you remember finding the house for us, right absolutely?
Speaker 3: And you know when I'd walk by that house walking the dog, every time i'd see it, I think, you guys there now dunk sitting in that car. Oh, we need completely trash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to explain. We had a dog, Donkey, the greatest dog ever. All he wanted to do is go in the car, And there were certain days he would just get in the car, knowing this is going to leave for the park at some point and I don't want to miss it. So yes, Eric was not the only guy to see our dog sitting in the car. He had in and out privileges. We weren't locking him in there. He chose to do this. Oh my gosh, thinks well the things were Eric.
Speaker 4: You know, there's so much history between the two of you. First of all, it is really neat to be on the call with two Hall of famers, So I have to say this is a real treat for myself and for our incredible listeners. But let's take it back, because Dad, you started with the Rangers in what year?
Speaker 1: I started in eighty two. I covered baseball for three years before that in Baltimore. But as Eric knows, you really don't start your baseball career until you're the play by play guy or the beat guy. And I became the beat guy for the Texas Rangers in nineteen eighty two. Eric, those players that team, what what a learning experience? That was for all of us. You had the same experiences what you took over in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Agreed, Yeah, I was twenty seven years old. Most of the players on our team were older than me then. You know, we had Ferdie Jenkins and Doc Meditch and Richie Zisk and Al Oliver and all of these guys were older than I was. And now, you know, and now most of the players could be my grandkids. But it was very different back then. And you know, back then, the players saw us, the people who were there every day covering them, as part of the family. We really were all part of the same group and there was a communal feeling about it that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore. Also, you know, there were a lot more characters back then. You know, there wasn't as much money involved, players weren't as dedicated as they are now, and a lot more funny stuff happened back then and does now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've told this story many times, Eric, but my first spring training with the Ragers, after three weeks, Mickey Rivers came up to me and said, Tim, can I borrow two thousand dollars? Vickey, I make eleven thousand dollars a year. I don't have two thousand dollars to loan you. Does that sound like Mickey to you?
Speaker 2: Eric?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Absolutely? Yeah, what a what a team we had then, and what a season two, you know, to start out as contenders. You know, they traded Al Oliver in spring training and got Larry Parrish and Dave Hostetler. They made that ridiculous trade to get Lee Mozilly where they traded Ron Darling and Walk Terrell to get Lee Mozilly when they already had two center fielders, they traded for another one. And Mozilly was not exactly pleased to play left field, right he said it was an idiot's position.
Speaker 1: Yes he did.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Canstremsky did not take that well, by the way, who was still playing at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he didn't care. Remember Jim Rice didn't quite care for that either. And the whole season went could put in early May when they lost twelve games in a row. They went on a road trip. They lost every game if I remember correctly. On one road trip to Detroit and Boston, they lost a game in each place when they could have ended the game with a double play, and instead the second baseman got taken out, threw the ball away, and they lost the game on that same play. I think it happened to Doug Flynn, and I think the other game was Bill Stein got taken out. A second one was by Kurt Gibson, and I don't remember who the Boston guy was who took out the second baseman. But they went from on the verge of winning to losing the game and one fell sweep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that team in May, Eric said, lost twelve games in a row. And I staggered into Don Zimmer's office and I have this haggard look on my face and he looks at me. He goes, what's wrong you? And I said, well, Zim, I must tell you it hasn't been as much fun covering this team as I thought it would be. And he looks at me, and I'm quoting here. He goes a quit complain and look at you. You're young, you're good looking, you got your whole life in front of you. Look at me. I'm old and fat, I'm bald and ugly. I got a plate in my head, and I've got this team to manage. I'm the one with all the worries.
Speaker 2: So quick complaining and recognize how lucky you are to be here.
Speaker 1: Now, Eric, does that not sound like Don Zimmer?
Speaker 3: To you? Sounds like Zim? And then he wasn't He wasn't long for that team. As it turned out well, after that twelve game lising streak, they fired the general manager, not the manager, right right. They fired Robinson.
Speaker 1: Eddie Robinson, right right.
Speaker 3: And then later on You're in July, they fired Zim but asked him to keep managing until they can find a replacement.
Speaker 1: Jeff, he man three games after being told you're fired. And then this is Eric, I don't think you were here this night, but we but Zim took all the writers and all the guy the coaches out to dinner to mister Catfish. After that it was finally over. He was officially fired. So I'm sitting there with the other beat writers, Jeff, this was incredible, and this guy who I've never seen before, rolls in. He picks up a goblet of beer and throws it across the table at Jim Reeves, who I was sitting next to one of the beat writers, And we have to get under the table so we don't get hit by a flying glass. And I looked at rebo and I said, who was that? He goes, that's Brad Korbott. He used to own the teams. The owner of the team came in and threw a beer at remo. Does that sound like Brad Korbant to you, Eric?
Speaker 3: Brad Korbott is the reason that I got this job because he was so impulsive. He was playing golf one day with Harmon Killerbrew, and Harmon had done a little bit of broadcasting for the Twins and Brad said, you know, I'd like to have you as our TV announcer and Harmon said great, I'd love to do that. So Brad went to Roy Parks, who was running the broadcast department then, and it was actually the City of Arlington, you know, not the Rangers or the radio station. And he said to Roy Parks, next year, we're going to have Harmon Killerbrew as our play by play announcer. And boy said, well, no, we're not. I have an agreement with Channel five here that I have to use one of their sports guys as the play by play guy, and it happens to be Frank Lieber and he's really good, and no, I'm not going to hire Harmon Killbrew and Corbett said, well, if you won't hire Harmon Killerbrew, then I won't let you use Ken Suarez as the color man on TV. Ken Suarez was a former Ranger player who worked for Corbett selling plastic pipe in Corbett's Plastic Pipe company, and Corbett would let him off work to go do the third games that we did on TV back then, and I hadn't I was doing minor league hockey at the time. And roy said, well, I'm sorry, I can't hire Harmon Kilber. I can't break this contract. Corbett says, well, you can't use Ken Suarez anymore, and Royce said, all right, I'll find somebody else. I was at somebody else and that's how I got them that Eric.
Speaker 1: I have never heard that story. Harmon Kilbrew is one of my favorite people ever. But as a play by play guide, they were going to hire the big, stocky first baseman to be a play by play guy.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous, exactly as the TV play by play guy.
Speaker 5: Some wireless plans can get a little bit crazy, a little bit off the charts. Expensive Mint Mobile can get you started with three months of premium wireless. Four fifteen bucks a month is pretty good.
Speaker 6: I like that the way gas prices are going up. Scott, We've got a key more mobile plan down and mint mobile is your location to keep your mobile planed down, can add family members. You can do all that for just fifteen bucks a month.
Speaker 5: That's less than a drink in many cities these days if you like bougie drinks. All plans come with high speed data and unlimited talk and text delivered on the nation's largest five G network. If you like your money, mint mobile is for you. Shot plans at mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Upfront payment of forty five dollars for three month five gigabyte plan required equivalent to fifteen bucks a month new customer offer for first three months only than full price. Plan options available, Taxes and fees extra. See mint mobile for details.
Speaker 1: If you were doing women's basketball and minor league hockey, among other things, before you became the voice of the Rangers, agreed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I thought, you know, growing up in New York listening to Marv Albert, I was just captivated by listening to New York Rangers games on the radio. I loved it. I got my homework done early every day the Rangers were playing, so I could listen to Marv and I would tell people, say, what are you going to do when you grow up? And I'd say, I'm going to be the radio voice of the Rangers. And we met the New York Rangers, and you know what. I broadcast hockey in college, and when I got out of college, I got a job in Muskegon, Michigan, at the lowest level of minor league sport. It was like the movie Slap Shot. Really was like that. In fact, we had the two guys, we had the Hanson brothers in our training camp. Their name was actually Carlson. We had them in our training real Hanson brothers, before the movie, before any of that, and they didn't make our team. They didn't skate well enough to make our team. We were in the International Hockey League, which sounds really impressive, except that none of the teams were in any country other than the United States. And he was able to catch on with a team in the Eastern League, Jeff Carlson, and I don't remember what the name of the other brother was, but he caught on with the Eastern League and got jobs there. But I got a job in Muskegan, Michigan. Then I got a job in Oklahoma City, and that saved my career because after three years in Muskegan, Michigan, I figured, if I can't get in a better job than this, I probably really suck at this. And so I started applying to law schools. And then then I heard that there was a job open in Oklahoma City. I read in the Hockey News that a job had opened up in Oklahoma City that the announcer there, John Brooks, had taken a job as the voice of the Oklahoma Sooners, and he was having to give up his job as the voice of the Oklahoma City Blazers. So I called up directory information for Oklahoma City and asked to talk to the general manager. And this guy named ramy Ron, and he says, yeah, the job's open. I'm the general manager. I'm also the coach. Send your stuff and i'll get back to you. When he got back to me in a few weeks, and he said, you're one of two finalists for the job, and I want you to fly to Montreal for the Hockey Annual meetings and I'll go to dinner with you one night and i'll go to dinner with the other finalist one night and we'll see, you know, who gets the job. So I got there in the first night. We go to dinner and he starts drinking before we even sat down. He ordered a drink by that person stand and Eric, what would you like? So I just ordered whatever he ordered, which was a blonde Dubonet. That's what he liked to drink dinner, a blonde Dubnet. So I'm drinking blonde Dubonets with Ray and we sit down and we have this fantastic meal with I don't know how many drinks, but I was just completely polluted by the end of it. But we have a great thing, and I went back to my hotel room thinking I did really well. I think, I think, you know, I might get this job. And then he says, I'm going to go out tomorrow night with the other finalist. And the next night I get a caller on midnight and it's from Ray and he says, Hey, Eric, it's Ray. I just want to let you know you got the job. And I said, that's great. He says, but I've got this problem. He says, I don't know how to tell Mike Emrick that he didn't get the job, and all I could think of was, as far as I knew at the time, Mike Emrick didn't drink much, if at all. So if Ray was looking for a wingman when the team's on the road, he figured I'd be better than Mike Emrick because I can drink that. And that's the only reason in the world I could possibly have ever gotten a job broadcasting hockey over Mike Emrick, who's like the Vin Scully of hockey broadcasting.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Eric, that is unbelievable. I'd never heard that story before. Now before I forget Moose Lallo was where in your he was the coach Jeb and tell us about.
Speaker 3: Moose Lalo was was the Yogi bearra of hockey. He would come out with these things called moosism's. Moose had grown up in Timmins, Ontario and an Italian family. One of his parents was French, you know, French Canadian, so he spoke Italian and French before he learned English, and English was his third language. It was very distant third to the other two. So he would completely mauwl the language, you know. He he He would say things like this contract, this printer. He screwed us on the contract. Next time, I'm going to sign the contract, and you're going to sign the contract, and we're going to take it to a rotary public And he had a road trip to Iowa. It was the only place where you had to change your clocks for time zone, change your watches. We'd go from the Eastern time zone to the Central time zone to go to Des Moines. It's about an eight hour bus ride, and we would do it late at night and we were going to play the next day. And we get to Des Moines, you know, it's the middle of the night, and we're about ready to get off the bus and Moose gets up in the front of the bus and he says, okay, now tomorrow we got to skate at ten am. I don't want anybody to be late because of this time zone thing. So everybody right now, Okay, it's four am right now, So everybody, let's just simonize our watches. And there was something like that every day, every day.
Speaker 1: How about the guy who broke his leg and what did what did Moose say after that?
Speaker 3: He took the extra Yeah, well they took X rays, but it didn't help. He still got a broken leg. And then my favorite one. On New Year's Eve, the Rangers the Mosque of Mohawks played this horrible game. They were terrible, and Moose came in after the game and he was really upset and he said, Okay, tomorrow we're having a practice. I know it's New Year's Day, but we're having a practice tomorrow. Everybody's got to be here at eleven am. And one guy piped up, is this compulsory? And Moose goes, no, f and way, You've all got to be there.
Speaker 1: So Eric, you went from you went from that, and you ended up in the Hall of Fame. This is one of the greatest journeys in the history of broadcasting. So let's go to the Hall of Fame. Eric, explain what it was like when you got the call that you're going in, and then explain what it was like when you made your speech in front of all those people and went into the Hall of Fame at Cooper's Town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole thing is just so crazy. You know. I had been a finalist I think five times before I actually won the award, so I thought I was probably going to be the Susan Lucci of the ford Rick Award. But a few other guys have now gotten that distinction. I think Jock Tussett's been on the bellot a million times and somehow he has it won. Dwayne's Stats has been on it many times. Somehow he has it won. You know, I really feel for those guys. But then when, you know, when I finally got the call, you know, I got real excited and also nervous. And I go there for the weekend to the Oda Saga Hotel, you know, and step out of the car and only Hall of Famers can stay there that weekend, and some a list celebrities. Billy Crystal's there in the lobby and Tom Brokaw, you know, and a whole bunch of Hall of Fames. Ernie Banks is sitting there talking to Billy Williams, and Whitey Ford and Jim Bunning are huddled up at a table. It was crazy. And then you know, I go to my room and Reggie Jackson has taking towels off the maid's cart, you know, and crazy stuff like that was It was like I had sneaked into some private club and got away with it. Just like, what am I doing here with all of these guys and then it was great. I mean in the speech, which was at double Day Field. It was before they'd moved it to the Opera House. It was at double Day Field, so there were a lot of Hall of Famers behind me. There had to be forty or fifty Hall of Famers sitting behind me, and you know, I'm nervous as hell. And as I'm walking up to the podium, Gaylord Perry, who had played for us, and who I knew, I could hear him say, Hey, Eric, this better be quick. It was great, and then go ahead. I had had this. I had one line in there. A bunch of my friends from Brooklyn came up, you know, and we were all huge Sandy Kofax fans growing up because he lived in the neighborhood. And I had a line in the speech where I said, and thanks to all my Brooklyn friends for showing up, and I'm sorry I couldn't get Sandy Kofax autograph for all of you or any of you. As soon as the speech was over, Sandy came up to me and he said, how many autographs do you need? I'll sign anything you want. Wow. And that was like, that was the greatest thing that happened to me all weekend. Wow, it was fantastic.
Speaker 1: That is so great. Well, I got to tell a Gaylord Perry story, even though it's way off the topic. But Dwayne Kuiper, who should be in the Hall of Fame as a broadcaster, told me before his first home start as a rookie. This is Dwayne Kuiper and Gaylord Perry is pitching, and Gaylord goes to his teammate Dwayne Kuiper and says, if you make an error behind me tonight, you will never play another efing game for this team. Do you understand that?
Speaker 2: And that's what he said to Dwayne Kuiper before his debut at home behind Gaylord Perry.
Speaker 1: So when Gaylord Perry, who Eric knows, one of the very underrated pitcher in his own right, they made a statue of Gaylord Perry at outside of the Giants Ballpark, and I have a picture of Dwayne Kuiper going like this to the statue. Eric, does that sound like Gaylord Perry to you? You covered him right.
Speaker 3: No doubt, Yeah, for sure, for sure he would glare it guys when they made an error. And they don't see anybody doing that anymore.
Speaker 1: No, my goodness, that's so, that's so forbidden.
Speaker 4: Absolutely listen, Eric, I have a question because I heard you break out a little bit of a Spanish accent right at the top of the interview. And my dad commonly makes a joke that the biggest mistake in his life was taking French in high school and then going to be a baseball writer.
Speaker 1: Eric gangye left. He was really in some trouble. But here, you know.
Speaker 4: Sixty percent of players are speaking Spanish or something like that, and you, if I'm not mistaken, have called at least one.
Speaker 1: Inning many innings in Spanish, correct I have?
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I took French also because we were told that colleges would look on it more favorably. And I grew up in New York City, you know, with like five million latinos at the time. But I learned French, which helped me a little bit in hockey. You know, every hockey team I broadcast for had one or two French Canadian guys, but they did speak English. It's not like I needed to speak French to them. When Ruben Sierra came to the big leagues in nineteen eighty six and was immediately the Rangers' best player. We couldn't talk to him. Teams didn't have translators back then, and he didn't speak English, so I would have to find Jose Guzmann, who was the only bilingual player on the team anytime I wanted to talk to Rubin, and you know, Jose had other things to do, he wasn't always available to translate from me. So I decided I'd better start learning Spanish because the Rangers, you know, they had pad Rodriguez on the way, they had Juan Gonzalez on the way. They had a whole pipeline now in Puerto Rico and Venezuela, where Louis Rosa, the famous Spanish speaking scout, was signing players. So I started taking Spanish lessons and eventually I got to the point where I was pretty good. And Luis Meyerral, who was our Spanish announcer, would work alone when the team was on the road. And Louis was a chainsmoker. He could not make it through an hire baseball game without smoking a cigarette. So he said, he said, hey, what do you think about the idea of you doing a half an inning in on the Spanish network every game while I go and you know, take my break and you know, have a dart and go to the bathroom. And I said, all right, this is what these are the words I need. And I made a long list of baseball words, you know, to translate, and he gave me the translations. I memorized him, and I started doing a half ding a game in Spanish, you know. All of which was fine until one day in Cleveland, while Louis was out smoking, there was a huge argument over whether a home run was fair or foul. It was one of these balls that had gone over the foul pole, and everybody's out on the field. Both managers are out on the field, screaming at the umpires. And now I'm no longer having to do just play by play. Now I'm having to explain something that's happening using complex tenses and other phones, with the grammar that I'm completely ignorant about. It had to sound like, you know, Chico Esquala, you know, trying to broadcast the and then but the crowd went absolutely crazy. So Louis came running in it with you know, with a half smoke cigarette. He's running out because he realized at this point something's going on that I probably can't explain.
Speaker 4: Right, you can't just use strike ball, warning track, fair foul.
Speaker 3: And everything and play by play. You know, everything's in present tense, right, You're not using a lot of different tents. Everything's in present tense and uh so. But I actually did that for a couple of years, you know, and it expanded to me doing a full inning per game. Louis got a longer break, and then eventually they started taking the Spanish broadcast more seriously and they actually hired a partner for Louis and they didn't need a gringo like me butchering the language. But it was really fun for a couple of years. And in the travels I've done in Latin America, to Cuba and Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the Dominican I've been invited to do an inning, you know, in a couple of places in Spanish and that's been a real thrill for me. And one day Francisco Romero, who does the Astros in Spanish, invited me to do an inning in Spanish with them, and that was really fun, you know, broadcasting on the Astros Spanish network so cool.
Speaker 1: That is so great to go way back with you Now, Eric, you said something about just what a face sphere the Rangers had when you were the broadcaster and when I came there as a beat writer, Jeff, it was amazing. People from the Dallas for Orth area would come to spring training every year and spend like a week with the team. Eric, you remember that it was those things never happened today.
Speaker 3: Right exactly exactly. You know, there was a whole group there was. There was a bar everybody would go to after the game called Hanks, which was maybe half a mile from the ballpark, and you'd go in there and it was the same people were there every night. It was you know, ballplayers and a nucleus of fans who were in there with the players, and the players would be tending bar. You know, I really I remember my first year, first time I went there, Pat Putnam was tending bar and the bar had to lose hundreds of dollars that night because he was just giving beers away, you know, just pouring touring drafts for whoever he felt like it. But you know, nobody cared. It was a great time. And then eventually that moved to Smackos, which was owned by Joe Maco. The Rangers clubhouse manager and equipment manager, and Smackos became the place where everybody hung out after the game. You still have your Smackos basketball warm up jacket.
Speaker 1: That is I grew Smackos was the greatest back to Pat Putnam For a minute, Jeff at Punda used to like to get into the whirlpool like a single world pool, and then he would he would go under the water in the whirlpool and then come out like a gigantic whale coming out at sea world. Eric, did you ever see him do that?
Speaker 3: Exactly? And they held a hot dog up over the water, so he was like he was like a weal coming out and grabbing a fish. He would come out and grab a hot dog and disappear under the water and eat the hot dog. No bun, just the hot dog, right, Jeff.
Speaker 1: This is when covering baseball was so much fun. Like Eric said, the players didn't make a zillion dollars there, they actually connected with us. I told Jeff the story not too long ago about Steve Comer who was on the eighty two Rangers who somehow found Don Wells Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 2: He somehow found her phone number and called her one night late and she was so honored that someone found her, and then she realized he was just he was drunk at the time and she said, I gotta go now. But Eric, those things never exist anymore, but they existed all the time with the Rangers.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. And those guys, you know, they had off season jobs back then. Tommy Dunbar was a substitute English teacher back in his hometown, and he was He was not the guy would have chosen as my choice to score highest on a Grammar test. Another super nice guy, but I'm not sure he was totally qualified to be an English teacher.
Speaker 1: I had to show the greatest restraint ever. When I want to ask Tommy Dunbar, like what do you do with the off season, he goes, I'm an English teacher. I almost laughed out loud, but I stopped because it just it just was one of those things. Eric tell Jeff about the Smackos basketball team that we had. Jeff, back then Tom Greeve that the farm director of Slash general manager. There were there were clubhouse guys. Eric played, I played, Writers played. We had a Smackos basketball team. Eric, you remember, I.
Speaker 3: Remember, and I was was Tim was obviously the best guy on the team and ran, you know, kind of ran ran the team. And I hadn't played basketball in a few years and was just an absolute lummocks out there, unable to do just about anything. And then, you know, there was the day that I showed up late, showed up late, the game was already going on, and somebody, somebody pulled a muscle or something, and they put me in the game and I immediately got fouled. Haven't hit any warm ups or anything. And it's like I wanted to decline the pedal.
Speaker 1: I don't need the shots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no thanks, and I you know, I smashed a couple of shots off the rim. You know, no, I did not make the shots right.
Speaker 1: Those days just no longer exists anymore. Jeff and I really missed the Laughing Fish Pub at you know, the Holiday Inn in Pompino Beach. And Eric explained to Jeffrey and all of our listeners how bad the spring training facility was at Municipal Stadium in Pompino Beach compared to what we have today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was called Municipal Ballpark. They didn't even make believe it was a stadium. It was Municipal Ballpark. The players referred to the field as ewo Jima because of the number of lamb Moneys in it. I mean, one year, the Rangers number one prospect, Mike Richard, you know who they were touting as a possible, you know, batting champion. One day he got hit in the face on a bad hop. It broke his cheek and it pretty much ruined his career. You know, he never developed into the kind of player that we all thought he would because he'd got hit by that bad hop and it was really hot. And Bobby Valentine would work on the field, but he became the manager. He would actually go out and work on the field himself, trying to make it a little safer for the players. It was terrible. But you know, when you mentioned the Laughing Fish Pub, the first thing that came to mind was Charlie Huff breaking his finger in the Laughing Fish Pub, shaking hands with an old buddy of his who was a judge in Fort Lauderdale, and Charlie was from Florida, and the guy came up to see him and they did his big handshake, and Charlie broke his finger and missed the first couple of months of the season, and the Rangers had to I think Mike Smithson wound up starting on opening day because that's the way the rotation fell if Charlie wasn't able to make the start. Smithson was a rookie and he wound up starting on opening day for us because Charlie broke his finger doing a handshake with an old buddy in the Laughing Fitch. Right.
Speaker 1: So, Eric, when I got the beat writer job in eighty two, I go to Pompino Beach, never been there before in my life. I pick up a map to figure out how to get to Municipal Ballpark. This is nineteen eighty two, and I find and it's down at the bottom of the map and it says home of the Washington Senators who had moved ten years earlier, and they still had an updated the map to the home of the Texas Rangers. Does that sound normal to.
Speaker 3: You, Eric, There was nothing at all normal about that. And you know back then too, again, the players, they weren't in the kind of condition they're in right now. The bars in Fort Lauderdale or open till four am in Pompino and Fort Lauderdale, and I would regularly see players out in the bars, you know, with me at two and three in the morning, and then they'd have to be there. I didn't have to be there early in the morning like they did. You know, the games were at one or one thirty. But those guys who would have to be there like at eight or nine am, and they were out of the bars at three in the morning, you know, looking to have fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they Jeff, one of the players, told me that a municipal ballpark, which was again had a little field and the stadium field and that was it. They had a running track there. That's how the pitchers got their running in, was running a special track. And one of the pitchers told me he found a short cut where he didn't have to run. He could sit on a park bench for like three or four minutes while everyone else was running, and then he would he would join them when they came by.
Speaker 2: Eric, Does that sound like spring training nineteen eighty two to you?
Speaker 3: I remember they didn't. They didn't have a gym, they didn't have any sort of a workout room. The exercise bike was on the concourse of the stadium, which wasn't much, but you could see the stadium, and I remember Charlie Huff being being on the bike when he broke his finger and he couldn't pitch. He would do his work on the bike every day on the concourse and it went over. One day I went over, I had something I wanted to talk to him about, and he was on the bike smoking a cigarette. Well you don't see much of that anymore either, you don't.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun back then, and God, I loved Al Oliver. And that was my first spring training. Like Eric said, they made two, as it turned out, two terrible trades. But the Al Oliver trade came like right before the start of the season. Larry Parrish and uh and Dave Hostler showed up. I'll never forget and I love Al Oliver. Please don't take any of this the wrong way. I had to do a story with Al on like looking ahead to the Rangers season. So I said, Al, you can just you could just talk to me and I'll write it, and he said, no, no, I'll write it myself. I'll bring it to you tomorrow. So this was a preview of the Rangers twenty nineteen eighty two season, and the first sentence was my father died when I was five years old, and it was actually really well written, but it was not It was not a preview of the season. Does that sound like Al Oliver to.
Speaker 3: You, Eric, Yeah, it was like Al. And you know, I remember the Rangers played a game at the Superdome in New Orleans at the end of spring training, and that was the first time I think we actually saw Mozilli and Larry Parrish, who they had gotten for Al Oliver play a game. And I remember that the way the field was laid out, the goalposts were on the field, they.
Speaker 1: Were Jeff, that was the first time I'd ever been to New Orleans. And I asked the other beat writers, who were really experienced at a lot of things, including drinking beer, and I said, what's it going to be like in New Orleans? And they looked at me and they said, you are going to stay up all night, That's what it's going to be like.
Speaker 2: And I think, for the only time in my life, I stayed up all night in New Orleans because everyone else was.
Speaker 1: It was incredible. So, Eric, you've been through all this crazy stuff, okay, but then you get to the World Series with this team for the first time, the team has been there two years in a row, so this is this is difficult, I know, But what what was going through your mind when the Rangers should have won the World Series in twenty eleven against the Cardinals but didn't. What were you thinking at that point, having covered the team for that long, coming this close and not completing the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was so, you know, afraid really that I would screw up the call. So I actually wrote down a few things that I wanted to say as part of the call if they actually won, and they were you know, when they got to the point where they were one out away and one strikeaway. You know, I had this little note in front of me so that, you know, when I made the call, i'd remember to say this, I'd remember to say that. And then when David Freese hits the fly ball that you know, Nelson Cruz didn't catch and the Cardinals tie the game, I crumpled it up and I fired it down on the floor underneath the counter. And then in the tenth inning, Josh Hamilton hits the home run in the top of the tenth inning, and I go crawling under the counter to find that piece of breaker. It's all crumpled up and I write really badly anyway, and I open it. I can barely read the thing, but I'm ready to go now for the final or the final out again. And then it doesn't happen. Lance Berkman gets this lucky hit, little lucky, little blue hit in the center and ties the game. I chucked it under there again, never never to be found. And that was just it was a it was horrible, just a horrible feeling. And you knew how the Ranger fandom felt after all of those years, you know, forty some odd years at that point, not you know, not having a champion and coming some close, so close and not doing it. And I honestly felt, you know, that was my chance. You know, I was very fortunate. I got to broadcast two World Series, you know, the one in twenty ten where the Rangers lost to San Francisco and we're not really all that competitive in the series, and then twenty eleven when they should have won, and I figured that's it, you know, I had my chance. You know, I'm grateful to have done a couple of World Series. And then when the Rangers got there in twenty twenty three, you're quite unexpectedly, I thought this is you know, this is a real Cinderella story here. And I wasn't going to get ready for a call like I did the last time. I figured I jinxed it the last time. But on the day of in the day of Game of five, when the Rangers Game six no Game five, part of me when the Rangers had a chance to win, and I really felt they were going to win. They had of all deep pitching that night. We were really confident. I did an interview with somebody that day who was asking me, you know, the same sort of questions, what's it like for you after all this time, And it dawned on me, I really believe we're going to win the World Series today. This can't possibly be true, you know, I must be dreaming. And I thought that's something that all the Ranger fans have to be thinking, that this can't be real. They must be dreaming. And I grabbed a piece of notepaper from the Arizona Biltmore where we were staying, and I just scribbled down on it you you're not and I stuck that in my wallet. And then in the top of the ninth inning, when Marcus Simeon hit the home run, you know, to give the Rangers a big lead. I pulled it out of my wallet and I put it down on top of my score book and said to myself, you know, don't forget to say you're not dreaming, because that's what everybody's going to be thinking. And so when I made that call, you know, I managed to get that in and you know, didn't screw up the rest of it. And now you know, when when different things happen for the Rangers, they flash up on the video board, you're not dreaming, and people, you know, ask me to sign baseballs and write You're not dreaming on it, and it's become it's become kind of my legacy where for all of these years, my legacy was as the bearer of bad news. And then finally, finally the Rangers won, which gave everybody a whole lot of satisfaction and gave me this call that now everybody here is in love with Wow.
Speaker 4: It's become a rally cry. And you wrote it on a piece of paper and it didn't jinx the team, which is great.
Speaker 3: And then we auctioned off the piece of paper and we got over one thousand dollars for the piece of paper and that the headset that I was using, and yeah, i'll raise some money for charity.
Speaker 4: I have a question that's a little more personal to you and my dad's relationship. So in my little home studio here you can see above my head hence what my dad was pointing at.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 4: It's a painting done by my mother's mother, so my maternal grandmother, And it's a painting done of me and my paternal grandfather, my dad's dad, who I was named after. But I was named after his nickname Jeff. But you never called my grandm father Jeff right, you called him by his real name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's Armenian name.
Speaker 1: Yes, you would always killer. His name was Badrig, and we got such a kick out of it because Badrig used to visit with my mother Joy all the time in Texas. When Eric was living four hundred yards from our house. They were there all the time, so Eric met my mother and father a lot of times. When my dad died in two thousand and three, I got a call from Eric and he said, I'm so sorry Badrig died. And he was the only guy because he always used my father's name Badrig back then. Sorry, it's been a long time, Eric, since we've talked about Pop here. But this whole podcast, my whole career is based on my father and his love for the game.
Speaker 2: So this whole thing and Jeffrey, this is all about my dad. And that's a picture of bad Rig over Jeffrey's head there.
Speaker 3: That's fantastic. I love it.
Speaker 4: And Eric, I have to let you off the hook here. You know, my dad and I most of our guests right know him very well. They go way way back, and my dad looks at me and he goes you have to ask him about Pop because he always called him bad Drig, And I know he's gonna remember.
Speaker 3: You know, I just turned seventy five, and there are some serious holes in my memory there are. You know, it's really weird. The stuff you can remember details of games I went to when I was seven years old, but the stuff that slips my mind, which is mostly names, it's a little frustrating. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Eric's memory is amazing, and unfortunately so is mine on a lot of levels. But jeff when I was living around the corner from Eric, I would ask him like, where do we go get pizza? Where do we go get Chinese food? Henry Chang's or Henry Chen's or whatever it was. I still remember that. But I remember asking Eric, give me a movie I should watch that I haven't seen, that you really like that not everyone has seen. And the answer was Searching for Bobby Fisher, the great movie about the chess prodigy. I've probably watched that movie fifty times, maybe more. I know every line from it. And this was just another suggestion by Eric that made my life better. Do you remember when you used to tell me go watch this movie? It's great, sure, you know.
Speaker 3: And I still do that with people when I see something that I think they think they need to see. I remember, you know, sending a lot of people to see Searching for Sugarman, which wound up winning the Documentary Academy Award one year. It's about a singer named Rodriguez from Detroit who is completely unknown in the United States but becomes this incredibly huge star in South Africa without ever having set foot in South Africa. And if anybody's never seen that movie, you got to check it out. Searching for Sugarman is the name of it. Great music in there too. Rodriguez is the singer. You can find his stuff on Spotify. And iTunes and all those places too, if you just want to hear the tunes.
Speaker 4: Very cool, Eric, You have no idea how much searching for Bobby Fisher has been immersed into my childhood at this point. I remember we were moving my sister into an apartment for a summer in New York City when she was an intern, and I showed my dad that there's a thing called YouTube, and you can look things up on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You can look up videos. And I kid you not.
Speaker 4: I've never told this story. Three years on the podcast. Dad figures out what YouTube is, and the first thing he says to me is pull up the scene from Searching for Bobby Fisher when the dad talks to the teacher, think about the world, of all of the videos in the history of the world, all of the baseball highlights, and he.
Speaker 1: Says, pull up that scene.
Speaker 4: He is better at this than anything you'll ever be in your entire life.
Speaker 1: It was those are the day, all right, Eric, before we let you go. Two months ago, I had lunch with, among others, Nolan Ryan, and then that night I had dinner with, among others, Dwight Gooden. So in one day I had lunch, dinner in person with eight thousand and seven strikeouts was so incredibly great. His recall was amazed. We all know what a kind man he is, what a funny man he is, what a charming man he can be. And he, by the way, he told us the story about when he was the club president for the Astros that a young intern came in with you know lyon all sorts of books in hand and all sorts of information and says, in two weeks, I'm going to know everything that you know about pitching. That's what the intern said to sixty five year old old Nolan Ryant. But instead of being offended, which he should have been, he just laughed it off. What was it like for you, Eric, to cover Nolan Ryan for his entire time while he was a Texas Ranger.
Speaker 3: It was amazing. Was the first time the Rangers had anybody who you know, people around the country really wanted to see. It was the first time we had autograph seekers lined up outside the hotel, you know, when the team would arrive, you know, to check into a hotel. And the thing with Nolan was, you know, no matter what time it was, he would get off the bus and he would sign autographs and He would usually sign for everybody who was there who wanted his autograph, And there would be times after a game where people would come up near the bus in the other cities, and you know, they can't do that now, you can't get anywhere near where the bus is. But I remember at County Stadium one day in Milwaukee where the bus was just parked in the parking lot and people could get up real close to the bus. And you know, Nolan was one of the first guys out of the clubhouse. He hadn't pitched that day, and he stopped to start signing stuff, and he had on a sport jacket. You know, was a road trip. We wore sports jackets back then. And he he signed while we were waiting for all the other guys to get on the bus, probably another twenty minutes. He signed for that entire time. Meanwhile, these other players, you know, infielders batting two point fifteen, are walking past the autograph seekers, you know, just completely blowing them off getting on the bus. Well, Nolan Ryan is out there, you know, on a ninety degree day in his sports jacket, signing autographs. And I remember him getting on the bus and his sports jacket had sharpie marks all over the sleeves and people were just you know, people were just kind of grabbing stuff and pushing stuff at him, and he just, you know, calmly, calmly signed them all. And the greater experience for me, obviously, watching him pitch was unbelievable. You you got to see him do his three hundredth win and his five thousand strikeout and his six and seven no hitters. But more impressive to me was what he was like when he was our team president for five years and we actually worked for him. I had a detached retina in two thousand and nine and I couldn't work for a couple of weeks, and I remember Nolan calling me, said, you know when you're going to come back, And I said, well, I think I'll be back on Friday. But the doctor told me I have to wear a patch over my eye, and I'm very self conscious about that, and I'm also you know, I'm a little worried that i won't really be able to see well enough. But the big thing is that, you know, everyone's going to laugh at me. I'm walking around, you know, look like a pirate something like that. And Ola said, you know, I don't worry about it. It'll be all right. And when I walked in on Friday and went into the press dining room, everybody in the press dining room was wearing a patch over their eye. Oh my god, Nolan had gotten patches for everyone to wear in the press dining room, so I wouldn't feel so uncomfortable walking there with a patch o from my eye.
Speaker 1: Do you know that story? Eric, I have never heard that story before. And this is this is Eric. His recall is just unbelievable. I know I've told this story before, but they once to ask Rance Molini's what the world would be like if everyone was like Nolan Ryan, and he famously said everyone would love each other and no one would get a hit.
Speaker 3: That kind.
Speaker 1: That kind of sums up who Nolan Ryan is, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Eric.
Speaker 1: I mean you called his two no hitters like you said, and his three hundredth win and his five thousand strikeout. I mean you must. You will never forget those moments for the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: Correct? Absolutely? Yeah. For me, especially the five thousand strikeout. Because I was doing the middle three innings then Mark Holtz was our lead announcer. I would do the fourth, fifth, and sixth inning, and I was just lucky enough that the five thousand strikeout fell in one of my innings. It was the first time I ever got to make like a really big call. And I remember the call was played on the Today Show the next day and my parents got to see it in New York. You know, it was before you could listen to a game, you know, anywhere in the country, and it was the first time they'd actually heard me, you know, on a broadcast network outside of coming to Texas to listen to the games. And that was so that was really cool for me. The five thousand strikeout, it was Ricky.
Speaker 1: Ricky, Ricky. Gosh, yes, Ricky, I should have known that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ricky was also four nine hundred and ninety eight. And then he went through the lineup another time, striking out only one guy and got to Ricky again and got him for fivesand it was almost as if he had wanted Ritty to be the five thousand, Right.
Speaker 1: Jeff, ask your final question, if you have one. We've kept Eric for an hour. He's going to Cuba. How many times have you been to Cuba.
Speaker 3: I've been there a lot, you know, I've watched a lot of baseball down there. I've spent a lot of time talking to their announcers, practicing my Spanish, you know, learning Spanish down there. And right now things are very, you know, really dire down there. They don't have any fuel, they don't have power more than twelve hours a day, so people's food is spoiling, and refrigerators and you know, I've got some friends down there, and I'm going to go down there. I have a suitcase full of food that I'm bringing, which is non perishable stuff like tuna fish in packets and peanut butter and oatmeal. And you know, there's a few families down there who I'm close to from all of my trips down to Cuba, and I'll be bringing a bunch of stuff down for them, going to some community centers and talking to people and talking to announcers and seeing, you know, just seeing just how dire the situation is, because it really sounds bleak.
Speaker 4: Well, that's amazing what you're doing, and we won't keep you much longer. I just want to ask one last question, because those who listen to the podcast know that on April the twentieth, my dad hinted at the all four twenty team that he put together, and you had messaged him saying, can you just send me.
Speaker 1: The list because I'd love to see it. Eric, am I supposed to know what for twenty means? Because I didn't know what it meant. And then our pal Bill Flanagan said, in the all four to twenty team, I looked at.
Speaker 2: It like ten times and I said, I don't even understand what this is. And then you needed to see that list. That team, Tim is that correct.
Speaker 3: Absolutely wanted to see it. And Bill Flannagan's a friend of mine and he's extremely clever and smart, and I love it. You know, off the top of my head, I thought old Justin Smoke's got to be on there. But then he went so he went so deep on that it was. It was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Oh that was just another poor pop pop moment where he just doesn't understand how the world works. But you know, to sum this all up, Eric taught me so well how the world worked. When I got to Texas in eighty two, I didn't know anybody there. I didn't know anything about Texas. Famously, when I went to the Dallas Morning News for the first time nineteen eighty one, I walk into the newsroom at the Dallas Morning News, and you remember Harless Wade. Eric, he used to be at all Harless Wade looks at me when I walk into the Dallas Morning News office for the first time. He looks at me and he goes, you must be the new guy. And I said yeah. He says, you are the smallest damn yankee I have ever seen in my life. That was the first guy I met when I walked into the Dallas Morning News. So I was lost. I was away from home for the first time. I didn't know what to do, and Eric helped me with places to eat, things to do, movies to watch and Eric all kidding aside, thank you so much for helping me get through my life, especially early on, and mostly thank you for joining us today and making us laugh for over an hour here.
Speaker 3: This is ridiculous that it was so much fun. Thanks for having me