Speaker 1: This is the OTP presented by Farm Bureau of Health Plans in the Game of Health Coverage. Farm Bureau Health Plans is the MVP. Tennessee and s have relied on unmatched rates, coverage and service for over seventy seven years from Farm Bureau Health Plans.
Speaker 2: I was zippy, was it?
Speaker 1: I like, it's new?
Speaker 2: It is, It's quite nice.
Speaker 1: It's new, it's new. Welcome to the new OTP, Amy Wells, Mike Keith, glad to have you with us. The Rules Show. Yeah, the Rules OTP. I didn't get a lot of response. I guess no one. No one watched it, No one watched slash listen.
Speaker 2: Do you think I think it was better?
Speaker 1: Was it too much? No?
Speaker 2: I think it was well received the few things that I saw. But here's what we have to remember, folks.
Speaker 1: There's nothing let me tell you, if you want to kill a podcast listenership slash viewership.
Speaker 2: To a podcast on rules Well, I did.
Speaker 1: Have some people. I did have some people say it was informative.
Speaker 2: Informative is like when you make a meal and someone says it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Not usually.
Speaker 2: No, that was informative.
Speaker 1: I do think the whole kickoff thing was helpful.
Speaker 2: I think it was too. And recently we were on a call with the league where they were explaining the rule and everything. Just they're doing a very good job of making sure that people need to know understand what it is they're going to be talking.
Speaker 1: I knew last week's OTP was drying. Oh did we put the ot people through this? No, we didn't, but we were more lively and energetic than they were on the call, not that they weren't informative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a little dry, but I felt like I was further along in my understanding of what was going on than most of the other people who were engaging in this call with the NFL, and so I felt good about that.
Speaker 1: We were ahead. Yeah, And if you watch the Hall of Fame game, we were ahead. We were ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think that while it may not have been our jazziest episode.
Speaker 1: I do it was not jazzy.
Speaker 2: But I think it provided a lot of good information and if you haven't listened to it, it might be worth your time. Yes, it might be worth your time to go back check it out.
Speaker 1: There were visual eights, yeah, I mean, I mean, so you could see, Oh.
Speaker 2: We did we did the best that we could, but what is not an overly attractive topics?
Speaker 1: It was I mean, I mean it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't death or taxes, but it's not.
Speaker 1: It was close death taxes and rule changes. But you know, more than your friends, which.
Speaker 2: Is all we want to do here on the OTP. We want to make you smarter than your friends. It's literally all we care about. That's what we're here for.
Speaker 1: If you fell asleep on top of your computer, rewind, we apologize. It's and it's my fault. I mean, it was my idea. I thought, oh well, this will be great.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 1: I were great. It's really strong.
Speaker 2: It is function over fashion for sure. It was functional. It was it fashionable? Absolutely No, it's like there's no click pay.
Speaker 1: Do you like these pants? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Those are uh what a color?
Speaker 1: They cover your legs? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We provided a service, not all our podcast.
Speaker 1: We don't want to provide a service. But that's not really I mean, is that really what we want to do on the OTP provide a service.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now we're going to have a conversation about the like what we're doing here on the official time?
Speaker 1: What are we doing here? Let's let's really get down to doing what are we doing? Do we really know what we're doing here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, and providing a service.
Speaker 1: See, don't say that. Why the guy who unclogs your drain is providing a service.
Speaker 2: No, anybody who helps me out is providing a service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm appreciative of the guy who unclogs your drain. That's providing a service. That's helping the people.
Speaker 2: I want you to be smarter than your friends. I'm here to help you do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Here's what you paid for it? Nothing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and you paid zero dollars. So you're I'm not saying this is a high quality service.
Speaker 1: Well, no it is. We want to if Farm Bureau Health Plans is doing the old sponsorship here, don't paid for it? You did not, So for the final week they sponsor.
Speaker 2: Get that zippy read in?
Speaker 1: Well that Zippy read uh, and it's a very good read. I didn't. I didn't do it very well because I hadn't practiced it. Do you practice those not generally? No? I just let him roll.
Speaker 2: I thought you practiced.
Speaker 1: Did I stand around and practice reading commercials?
Speaker 2: I mean you're really good at it.
Speaker 1: Well you're nice to say that, thank you, But no, I mean I don't. I mean that would be weird. Can you imagine somebody walking by my office while I'm going when it's crunch time for your Healthcare Trust Farm Bureau health plans. I mean, they would really think I was more strange than they already do.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Well. This is our week, though, yep, because playing ball on Saturday. We have a broadcast.
Speaker 2: We do have a broadcast, So don't.
Speaker 1: Stand around and read the commercials. Get ready for the broadcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's lots to do.
Speaker 1: So the game's at six o'clock on Saturday night, six o'clock Central at Nissan Stadium. That means Titans Radio on the air at five with the award winning Titans Countdown. Can't wait, And that's you and Rep. Brian and Brad Willis yep, and Ramone Foster yep. And Coach Mac We're all there and I will interview the head coach.
Speaker 2: It's give me great.
Speaker 1: I think people are a lot more intrigued by the preseason, not just a little more intrigued, not just somewhat more intrigued. I think they're a lot more intrigued by the preseason because of a all the new players be the new coaching staff and see the fact that a lot of the top line guys are gonna play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's there's a lot to watch with so much new. I think when you're looking at a team that has so much brand new, there's so many things to get excited about. I mean, you just listed off the top three biggest ones. I think that when there's that much kind of buzz around a team, the preseason all of a sudden becomes a lot more exciting, and the games feel a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Game feel a little bit more.
Speaker 2: It feels less like a dress rehearsal, and it feels more like something that's intriguing.
Speaker 1: Like you're going to see something. Yeah, like you're gonna like, for example, San Francisco's opponent Saturday night, I don't know what they're gonna show. I mean, they went to the Super Bowl and they're pretty veteran.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it'll be I'm guessing there's will be pretty vanilla. I guess ours from a scheme standpoint, will be pretty vanilla, and you might get to see some cool people doing vanilla.
Speaker 1: You know who the backup quarterback is for the San Francisco forty nine ers. If brock Purty doesn't play, who will start? No, Brandon Allen is their backup quarterback and he's fighting for that job with none other than Joshua Dobbs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to see that's exciting. You want to come out and watch them play.
Speaker 1: Come watch and Juwan Jennings, who's from Murphy's Borough originally back together with Dobbs.
Speaker 2: And who is Brandan Allen?
Speaker 1: Brandon Allen's a guy who's kind of bounced around the league. He's had he's kind of had a nice run. I mean, he's made a good living being a backup quarterback in this league. I think he's getting close to double digit years in the league. Whoa, I mean, that's some serious checks.
Speaker 2: Man. That's a dream being a backup quarterback in the NFL. If I could have any job in the world, it might be that one.
Speaker 1: Our first color commentator on Titans Radio was Pat Ryan, who's a backup quarterback for the Jets for thirteen years.
Speaker 2: And probably really cool guy.
Speaker 1: The best, see still the best. I saw him two weeks ago. He's still the best, see just and people loved him. He's doing the Tennessee games now with Bob Keslinggan. Pat doesn't have quite as much of a chance to be effusive on the Tennessee broadcast because Josh Hipel runs that offense where they run a play every sixteen seconds or something, so the color commentator does not have as much a chance to jump in. But when Pat was doing our games, he had carte blanche, much like coach Mack does. And you know he's from Oklahoma. Coach Maxim Texas. But people from Oklahoma are very direct.
Speaker 2: Did you know that, Well, I mean direct for the mid West.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's really more the southwest, right Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: No, Oklahoma is pretty Midwest, you think, Well, I know for a fact. They were Missouri's neighbor after all. Okay, I've been there many a time.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about your interview with Devandre Sweat. Yeah, can we move to that? I would love to because he's from Texas.
Speaker 2: So that was a really good transition. We continued going further south.
Speaker 1: So we had him in the bed MGM studio and you got to have a conversation with him on the day that he told his mother she was getting the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was very just lucky we didn't know we had the this scheduled to do the interview with him, and we scheduled it earlier in the week and had no idea that he was planning to do that the same day with staging this huge surprise for his mom. So we literally sat him down in the chair like fifteen minutes after he told her that he was buying her her dream house and she was standing in the house like the whole thing was incredible. And to be able to talk to him that soon after, I felt very fortunate that we were able to have a conversation about something that he had just done. A lot of times there's like a day or two that goes by and so they're very reflective, and he was still very much in the moment of, oh my gosh, I just did this thing that I've wanted to do my whole life.
Speaker 1: Second round pick out of Texas, the nose tackle who's done a good job in training camp. To this point, the story about the athlete giving his or her mother a house never gets old.
Speaker 2: No, it's always great.
Speaker 1: I don't think it'll ever get old.
Speaker 2: It's like the ultimate in showing someone that you care about them in a very useful way. People need it is, I mean, people need people want to Amy.
Speaker 1: Would you not think more in a thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Way, because I don't.
Speaker 1: I think she probably already has a place.
Speaker 2: That she lives, right, But what I'm saying is to be able to give somebody their dream home. What a useful way to show somebody that you care about that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not the way i'd put I mean, I would say really wildly thoughtful and considerate and loving and giving. And you're going with useful.
Speaker 2: Useful.
Speaker 1: I don't, wow. I mean that's like, that's like I gave you a blender when you got married. I mean that's useful.
Speaker 2: No, because.
Speaker 1: What was it a food process or what is it I did I did something like that?
Speaker 2: Oh, you actually gave me something very nice and thoughtful. You gave me like beautiful wine glasses.
Speaker 1: That's right, I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very thoughtful, but like a house would have been very useful. Well, I don't know, I already wine glass.
Speaker 1: If anybody's ever seen the OTP, they know they might think are useful.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Let's see some of Aby's talk with to and Andre Sweat here on the OTP. This is not just useful, it's very special.
Speaker 2: You had the opportunity to do something else, and that's buy your mama home. Correct, tell me about that the lead up to that. When did you know you wanted to do that?
Speaker 4: The combine I knew since then. When I got in come, I was like, dang, this is real. I feel finally buy my mom the dream home she always wanted, you know. And one thing I did, I promised my mom that I was gonna get her a dream home, and it came true.
Speaker 5: She got surprised. So it's just amazing, you know.
Speaker 4: And she stayed on my butt twenty four to seven for this opportunity, you know, for me to take care of her. You know, she sacrificed so much, like so much for me and my brothers, and I can't just be more thankful for a mom like that. So, for all the people out there, love your mom.
Speaker 2: You've you've talked pretty openly about how much you love your mom, how much you respect her, how much she's meant in your life. Was it always a goal not just to make it to the NFL, but to make it to a place where you could afford to do something like this.
Speaker 4: First off, I wanted to just say I love this game, I respect this game, you know, and if you don't respect this game, this game would give you nothing, you know. And so that's my biggest thing, just respecting this game and just love playing football, you know, and just what I love to do. Gave me the opportunity to make a certain amount to even take care of my people.
Speaker 2: So how'd you find the house?
Speaker 4: I asked her what she wanted to like stay at in Houston. I tried to move her someone else, but my mom loved Houston, she grew up there from there, you know. I asked her what area she wanted to stay in. I kind of threw in like Katie and like the Woodlands, Kanda, or like Memorial Areas, just like nah, I want to go to Humble. So she live in Humble, Texas. And it's just amazing. She picked the house out though four or five options, and she just that's the one she exactly wanted and I got it. So that's I'm blessed to even have got that home, and nobody else got it before me.
Speaker 2: So that's a real covert operation though, to go from like, hey, Mom, where do you want to live? What about here? What about here? What do you think of these houses? Here's a Zillow list what do you think about this? I mean, this had to have been weeks, if not months in the making.
Speaker 4: Months, you know, and just have her just look at different homes and that's that house she got. Now, that's the one to call her eyes. And like I said, it's just a blessing. Honestly, it's a blessing to even do that for my mom. And I can't be more thankful and thank.
Speaker 2: God, how good does it feel to be able to achieve a goal like that. It's one that's so tangible it feels amazing.
Speaker 4: Like I've been grinding, She's been on my bud twenty four seven, like every day. Still when I get home, she gonna call me late and be like, so tell me about practice, even though just Brotherswood has how practice go what you mess up on, you know. And that's what I love about my mom. You know, she saw tough love and a lot of people need tough love out here in this world. And I feel like I'm one of those people, you know. That's what she shows me. So I just can't be more thankful for a mother like that.
Speaker 1: To Andandre Sweat on the otp Amy did an interview with him, and it was very good and there'll be other parts of the interview that will run later in the year in some different places, and it's also very useful. But I thought it was a very good interview.
Speaker 2: It was just so nice to hear him be so genuinely just blown away that he was able to do this for his favorite person.
Speaker 1: And then he got date line he did, It's.
Speaker 2: Like you came out from behind the refrigerator.
Speaker 1: I came from over here. So it's laying in the weeds. Because so when we had to Andre on the O T P to Andre Sweat played at Texas and he brought up the fact that Texas was the real UT.
Speaker 2: Can we just roll the just hang on the original one.
Speaker 1: You just want to roll that.
Speaker 2: I want to roll the original.
Speaker 5: You UT fan, I believe Hassan you mean University of Tennessee? Oh no, what lolle Horn, Okay, welcome.
Speaker 1: Do you know where you are now?
Speaker 5: I know where I'm at, still burnt?
Speaker 1: Hmm? Is that real orange?
Speaker 5: Orange?
Speaker 1: Do you think that's real orange?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Most definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was before. Yeah, but like a long time. But he's a lot bigger than you, I know.
Speaker 1: But I'm just you know, like.
Speaker 5: When you went to Tennessee like I did. Y'all not the real team.
Speaker 1: Glad you're coming to a real conference now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're gonna run it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna run it. I'm to sweat, don't sweat it.
Speaker 1: We're having fun.
Speaker 4: I graduated too. I don't know if y'all said that, but I graduated the real you t real yout you know.
Speaker 5: Education, what's great?
Speaker 3: School?
Speaker 5: Great, it's a great, better school. Let's better better school.
Speaker 1: No, don't do that.
Speaker 5: Come on, remember, let's be honest. I mean, I know I'm in Nashville.
Speaker 3: We're trying to help you.
Speaker 1: This is where you work now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not a Tennessee.
Speaker 1: It's it's not a Tennesse University of falls a volunteer and they're the volunteers because they volunteered to come save Texas in the eighteen forties, which is what happened.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, this is getting out of control.
Speaker 1: Team. No, you're the real Texas. Cool on, but you're you know.
Speaker 5: Ya can't compete with us?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We all right. So you could see Cavandre Sweat started.
Speaker 2: It, but it got a little spicy.
Speaker 1: It did. He started it, and so you finished it well and it got out there on the old social media and you know, a couple of people watched it.
Speaker 2: A couple of people did.
Speaker 1: It was funny because all the Texas people were, whoa, here we go, you know, they were really and then finally the Tennessee people woke up. I was kind of waiting on you and then they responded, all right, So let's show you the dateline moment from after the interview. Have you come off the UT thing now?
Speaker 5: Since you've got the SEC?
Speaker 1: No, looked right here. So if you look right here, So Cooper May's preseason all conference UT Kelvin Banks Junior pre season?
Speaker 3: Is he good?
Speaker 1: Kevin? Great texts? So it looks like the SEC, the SEC has settled this or so it seems.
Speaker 5: YA didn't want us to come to the conference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're well scared. Now why are we scared? The SEC, which is the conference you came to, says that UT is Tennessee. I think that should I just start calling you texts? All right? So I got old texts there, you got him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not a whole lot he could say. He tried, it's just it has been decided.
Speaker 1: The SEC decided it. Yeah, but he's such a good sport and and he's he's really a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: He's just funny.
Speaker 1: Listen, if you can't have fun with one another about sports, what can you joke about? It's true, wineglasses.
Speaker 2: Brings everybody together, wine and sports.
Speaker 1: Sort of the same day you did an interview with Devandre Sweat, I interviewed another Titans defensive lineman, Sebastian Joseph Day. And he is one of the free agents that I have been most excited about all along because he has played well against the Titans on multiple occasions. This is one of those quality defensive linemen that quite frankly, don't get the credit that they always deserve because they make everybody around them better. I thought this was a great get for the Titans. And is he not an impressive human being?
Speaker 2: He's one of the most interesting men alive. I mean, he's one of those people that he's involved in a lot of different things. He is incredibly smart, and he has just such a good story. And so the way that he has kind of just handled himself throughout kind of a tumultuous couple of years career wise was interesting to me. The thing about him was just interesting.
Speaker 1: Should we show a little of the interview.
Speaker 2: I would love to, well, let's roll.
Speaker 1: That Sebastian Joseph Day number sixty nine for your Tennessee Titans on the OTP. Sebastian Joseph Day.
Speaker 3: Do I like saying your name?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a sounds like a movie star Day.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: I mean, coming from Los Angeles, playing in Los Angeles should come to us, and it's like that's that's like somebody who would be in movies.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that. I mean your I mean, your confidence is so nice.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: Well, my name comes from my grandfather was a politician in Haiti, so he was a Day and uh my grandmother remarried, so to honor both of them, it's Joseph Day.
Speaker 3: That's kind of how it, Campbell.
Speaker 1: It's a spectacular name, a star name, and yet you're very much a blue collar player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I feel like that's kind of been kind of my my life story growing up, you know, especially my parents are both immigrants from Haiti, came from nothing, came with a dollar and a dream. My dad just worked his butt off way back to school, became an engineer and kind of just instilled that mentality and to me, you know, just everything you want you got.
Speaker 3: To go get.
Speaker 6: Man, nothing's easy, and that's the only we could be successful, you know, just kind of getting out the mud. So I just kind of try to. I guess that's kind of how I've been raised and how I guess my career and everything's been for me.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to say that twenty twenty three was a weird year for Sebastian Joseph Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely a weird year. It was.
Speaker 6: It was a blessing though, I still consider it a blessing because you know, my son was born and I for the first time face adversity in my professional career as a football player, and everything was going so well, and I wouldn't have had any other way because you know, again, my son was born, and he taught me so much more about myself. And then obviously the craziness ensued with you know, my coach getting fired, my d line coach getting fired, me being hurt and trying to get surgery. It was just a bunch of stuff going on, So it was kind of crazy. But again, I wouldn't trade it for the world because I feel like that made me grow in ways I never thought I would, you know, as a man, as a man, as a father, as a husband, and as a football player. You know, I had to. I had to find that love again. I had to look myself in the mirror and talk to myself and just you know, be like like, what do you want? You know, how bad do you want it? And that's I feel like that's a that's ependome of what life is, and that's supposed to be beauty of what football is.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes.
Speaker 6: It's it's very it's very interconnected with life. You know, there's your ups and there's your downs. By the end of the day, it's about just and yourself off and keep pushing.
Speaker 1: Let me set up your strange December if you don't mind. Yeah, So middle of the month, head coach and GM with the Los Angeles Chargers are both fired.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: December twenty second, they come to you, the new brass your captain of the team, the captains fourteen game starter. You're doing what you've done your whole career, which is basically after your rookie year, You've started every game you've played, and they let you go. Yeah, I mean, are you in shock at that moment?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, shock was definitely uh the word. Like I said, it was definitely a surprise and and a lot of people don't know it was actually hurt right. I tore my TFC in my wrist, so I was playing injured and so that really sucked too, because you know, I was trying to sacrifice for the team.
Speaker 3: They knew. They told me. I think it happened.
Speaker 6: I believe a couple like a couple of weeks before all that ensued, and they were like, hey, listen, it's either because we sat a shot to go to playoffs, like hey, listen to that, you get surgery and you're out for the rest of the season, or you help us trying to make this playoff push. And obviously, you know, as a captain, I'm like, I'm gonna deal with the pain. Like I'm gonna deal with it. You know, I'll do anything, you know, I'll do anything to help with this team try to win. And then yeah, that unsued. But you know, it's no hard feelings, man, it's and the day it's business. I have nothing but love for the Chargers because you know, it was it was experienced, and they gave me an opportunity to play the game that I love. I wish them nothing but the best. But again, I I'm super thankful for it because again it's shaped me in so many ways. And honestly, it led me to hear right. And it was funny cause I was actually not going to play. I wasn't gonna play. I was done. I was trying to get surgery. I was trying to get healthy for free agency, because you know, I had an idea obviously with everything going down. But again, it really was a blessing because it worked out.
Speaker 1: I mean, because here you are, I mean that weekend and Christmas, You've got to be going what in the world. Yeah, you're thinking I'm gonna go ahead and have the surgery on my wrist. Yeah, and the forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: Call yeah yeah, And that was And honestly it was funny, like I was. And again I was in a dark place for sure, because kind of like what you were saying, all those things that you know run through your head.
Speaker 3: You're like, man, like what did I like? Did I?
Speaker 6: You know, you just try to figure out, Like I was a leader, you know, I try to be a leader. I always try to do my best. I always try to help everyone out. So you know, you start questioning yourself, start questioning who you are and the things you've done, and like are the things that you could have done better? You know, you have to be harsh on yourself. And obviously you have to be harsh on yourself. You know, that's the point of this game. Like no one's perfect, and you got to be harsh on yourself. You got to find ways to improve. So obviously I did that, and a couple of teams called, not just the Niners, there was a couple of great, great, great teams called. Then when the Niners called, my agent was like, hey, man, like come on, like this team's probably gonna be in the super Bowl. Like you're like, it's either going to be them or the Ravens them or the Ravens and the Super Ball or the Chiefs. You know, like you gotta like, I get it, I.
Speaker 1: Get your hurt.
Speaker 6: I know you want surgery. But you got to make a decision. You got to think about this. So I prayed on it. Honestly prayed on it because I didn't want to make a decision based off selfishness, based off like revenge, or based off of oh I'm going to prove, you know, based off, I want to. I wanted to make a decision based off pure love for the game and know that I was going to put my all into those those playoff games and learning a whole new because you know, it's a lot, you know, learning a whole new system, learning a whole new playbook, getting to know everyone, building rapport so you know how certain guys play. So I just wanted to make sure that I did it with a pure heart, if that made sense, you know, like I was. Yeah, it wasn't a business ship. I wanted to be out of the love for the love the game, love of the game that I have, you know, and for the fact that you know, I want that I want to do something special with a group of men, you know, and prayed on it, and I feel like God got really answered, really gave me that, gave me that answer through multiple signs. So I was just really thankful, and yeah, so I joined up with them.
Speaker 1: So as strange as the end of December was, January and February were personally and professionally fulfilling.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent so fulfilling. It was just good to be.
Speaker 6: Part of something special, you know, again like seeing it because you know, my career with the Rams, it was so special. So many great people, so many great coaches, so many great support staff, just so many and it was just good to be in that environment again, just remembering how it feels like and that's no, that's no you know shape anyone, but it was. It really was a very healing process. I was and I got to play football again and I got to do what I love even though I was banged up. It was fun because end of the day, you know, you're competing for something special with a group of men, goup of men that are awesome and and trying to do something that's very uncommon.
Speaker 1: So for you, three super Bowls in your time in the league with the Rams, and then you went to the Chargers, and then you spent a short period of time when the forty nine Ers went to the Super Bowl, and then you make a decision you're going to come back East after all your careers in California and the pros, You're going to come back East. And you're a tight.
Speaker 6: Why well shots Iran you know, shouts to around coach Callahan. You know, they they're awesome for you know, giving the opportunity to come here first and foremost, you know, and a big reason was because of what Titans I think represent, you know, toughness, grit, blue collar. I just feel like every time I've played them, I knew I had to, like, you know, buckle my chin strap. You know, the times I played. I think I played the Titans three times you have been.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that, but that guy, No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not, honestly, I'm not.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that though, But every time I play the Titans, it's I'm hurting the next day.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I know it's gonna be a physical game. I know it's gonna be it's gonna be a nitty gritty no games, you know, going down to the wire game. I know that, you know, they have amazing players and what they represent, and the toughness and the resilience and and the grit and just just the blue collar like bring your lunch pale and hard hat mentality they had. I just I just felt as if it would be a great mix.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I felt like, you know, obviously, they have great players here already, you know, guys like Simmons and Keat and Art and Key and Landry and uh, you know, I just figured why not. You know, just try to help any way I can. And that's kind of just my mentality, just trying to help win in any way I can, anyway the coaches want me to.
Speaker 1: Sebastian Joseph Day, you are a man with a very special set of skills. You know. That's why you're You've been pursued by so many quality organizations because you do things beyond statistics. What do you consider that special set of skills that you bring to any defensive line and now the Titans defense line.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't know, And I like talking about myself. I think one thing I do bring is versatility. I think I could play anywhere. You'll put me.
Speaker 3: Line me up anywhere.
Speaker 6: You line me up at the five, line me up at the four, line me up at the three. Line me up with the shade. Because I've played nose a lot of a lot of my success came from me playing nose next to Aaron and brock brought Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers. So I and you know, so I could play at all. I think that's kind of my my niche. You know, you can put me anywhere if you want me on a bigger guy, Like I know the rams. He used to like have a me on, put me at defensive end to help with the certain runs on bigger guys and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So I think that's kind of my niche.
Speaker 1: I'd say, all right, so I met some defensive linement on this show. Yeah, kind of a defensive edition of the OTP. But first I have to say, hey, Titans fans, Seat Geek makes it easy to find tickets so you can be part of all of the touchdown celebrations. Whether you're buying or selling football tickets, seat Geek is the place to do it. Seat Geek is the official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. The most disruptive idea in ticketing a ticket that works. Expect the expected seat Geek, Seat Geek.
Speaker 2: Seat geek as an exclamation point.
Speaker 1: It does well. I mean, I thought I gave you a yeah, I hope I have the punch ready to go on Saturday night?
Speaker 2: Are you fired up?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 2: You get to call a gate?
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I've always been considered odd among my friends for a lot of reasons, but my broadcast friends because I love doing preseason games. I like to call a game period. Yeah. I mean if we had a game fifty two weeks a year, three times a week, I would be happy. The more games we do, the happier I am. And I like the preseason too, because there are very different storylines. Now say this, by the time we get to the final five minutes of the New Orleans preseason game, which is the final one, I'm ready for the regular season like everybody else. Yeah, I totally get that. But the storylines and we're going to see the starters some and then I'm going to be interested to see who are the players that go in after the starters. We've seen the first incarnation of the depth chart, and yet what does that mean in terms of how guys will go in? Yeah, and then you're saying, okay, who gets the chance to show themselves because those are the players that you're saying, all right, they want to see these guys to see if they can make the roster.
Speaker 2: Well, we get to do the fun roster math games now, so I know there's like cap room math that you do during the offseason, and then we get to roster math. And roster math is very exciting because you get to see with that rotation with the way the depth charts are kind of lining up. Okay, how many guys are we going to have at this spot or that spot, and who can make a difference on special teams or some of who can find one of those empty spots? Where are those? I mean, it's Mike Keith's favorite game, and so that comes into the excitement around.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to watch it too, because I just need to call the game.
Speaker 2: You've got a roster math on your free time, I do, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because you can't really do that on the radio. Radio is not a visual medium, sure isn't. And so when you start talking about a lot of numbers on the radio, people can't see the numbers in their head when they're listening, right, So it doesn't make much sense. So I have to guard against that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, because you really do enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love the game of all of the roster building, and I will stand and talk to people about this for hours. Yeah, because I'm interested in the fifty three man roster, and I'm interested in the sixty nine man roster, which would include the sixteen practice squad guys, catch h thank you. And then I'm interested in the forty eight people up on game day because you look at the roster building process and you say, okay, they're going to keep an offensive lineman or two who are going to be down on game day. They are going to keep a defensive lineman or two, but generally know they're going to be three linemen offense defense combined who are going to probably be inactive on game day because you're always looking to keep depth with the big guys, and you'll you generally get somebody hurt and it goes like that. Then where did the other spots come from? Because you don't normally keep maybe a wide receiver, but you don't normally keep a lot of running backs to make them inactive, not when you could keep them on the practice squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: So so who is good enough to be on the fifty three but not ready for primetime so to speak, to be on the forty eight. And it's it's an interesting math to all of it.
Speaker 2: It's the game within the game within the game.
Speaker 1: Within the game. Ye, we do know one guy who's going to be on the roster's Quandre Diggs. Yes, safety, three time Pro bowler just signed with your Tennessee Titans and in here and getting work and you know, don't have any idea what he does Saturday. But but the point is he's here, and he's a Titan. He's a Titan. More safety, depth, more veteran. And now as you look at this defense, I mean, let's just say, yeah, let's say they start Sebastian Joseph Day and they start to Andre Sweat and Jeffrey Simmons in the defensive line. Okay, two veterans, Yeah, one rookie linebacker. Let's say they go Harold Landry and let's say ardent Key but we know, you know, there's there's some question. Yeah, and then Jack Gibbons and Kenneth Murray. Well, I mean Jack Gibbons is in his third year, but he's played a lot of football. So basically four veterans.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then you go the secondary. If Quandre Diggs starts with Amani Hooker, and then you have Jamal Adams who also I mean he could be the starter, and they're gonna play a lot of three safeties, right, and then you have Cheetoh Woosey and Legerious Snead at corner, and you have Roger McCrary at the nickel and you potentially play Elijah Molden some in situations. Those are all veteran players. Wow, and and a lot of them fifth year players are better. And even I mean Roger mccrary's played a ton of football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all of the sou.
Speaker 1: Olden has played a ton of football.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, the Titans defense and specifically that secondary has gone from being a really young rock group of people with like nobody who was really a strong veteran leader, to an entire side of the ball, an entire half of your team that's led by veteran starter.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Quadre Diggs interesting story. So he's from Angleton, Texas. Okay, four star corner goes to Texas, starts four straight years, three under Mac Brown, one under Charlie Strong. He's five nine, five ten, one hundred and ninety five pounds. He's taken two hundredth overall by Detroit. They immediately put him in the nickel. That's what he becomes. Well, So then end of the twenty seventeen season, which is the end of his third year, like late November December, safety gets hurt. They move him to safety they move Quandre Diggs to safety, and by the next year he gets a contract. He gets like an eighteen point six million dollars three year contract, and everything's going great. He's a captain of the team. Matt Patricia comes in and as the coach in nineteen and that just doesn't go well in a lot of different ways. Yeah, that was October. He trades Quandre Diggs to Seattle and at that point, everybody's like, wait, man, he just traded a guy that you know, he's played for. He's played for this team for four plus years. He's turning into a really good player now that he's found his spot. What are we doing here? Well, then all he does his first full year in Seattle, and then his next two he goes to the Pro.
Speaker 2: Bowl, like three years in a row.
Speaker 1: Three years in a row, twenty through twenty two yep intercepts fourteen passes in that time. Last year ninety five tackles in just one interception, but another really solid year and then they need the money and so they waive him and in March, and he's been on the market. Safeties don't get paid like they once did, and I think he was waiting on an opportunity, probably waiting to get the best deal he could get, gets a deal from the Titans, and now he's here, thirty one year old guy who's played a lot of football, and his game is still pretty much his game. One of the questions about him at corner is he didn't have the quote unquote long speed. He was like just under a four six point forty, which you can do in college. In the pros it's harder. So safety and having the ability because he's a smart player to play in space. He's him and he has been a proven commodity time and time again to put with Jamal Adams and Amani Hooker, and I think the guy who benefits more than anybody in this is Hooker. I think he is the one. He's the big winner in this well.
Speaker 2: And Hooker, for the longest time, was almost doing too much because there were so many different things going on, there were so many things that were changing all the time. I think he was trying to plug a lot of holes and really couldn't be as successful as we have seen him be at some points having some help around him, and we've seen historic when there's someone else there that can help kind of shoulder that load, he plays better. Yeah, And so now having all of these veterans around to be able to really divide and conquer and really everyone can take their share of the responsibilities in that kind of phase of the game. I think that all of them are going to be able to play to their best abilities because they can just do their job. Just do your job.
Speaker 1: So the Titans had to come up with a roster spot for Quandre Diggs right The roster spot was created by the retirement of Sadiq Charles, Yeah, who had played a lot of first team snaps since the spring at right guard, coming over from Washington. And so now all of a sudden, right guard just got a lot more interesting.
Speaker 2: It just got a lot more interesting. I mean, we're talking about things to watch in the preseason games, there's one to watch because to your point, I mean, he had been a mainstay in that spot.
Speaker 1: Well, and and Sadik too. You know, when they signed him, he flew himself to Nashville and they're like, well, you can't come in here yet until we can done. Yeah, we can't. We've got to We've got to have a contract. But he was so excited to play for Bill Callahan and so you know this. These things happen all the time. I mean, they happened all the time in off seasons, and you know, you know, I don't I don't know what the rationale will will be. I mean, we've just learned the news as we tape this, so we we haven't heard. But Dylan Radn's certainly gets more of a look at that spot. Daniel Brunskill, who started there last year, is still there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Chavius Simmons has been playing a lot of guard and has looked very good in camp. Off to a good start with some of the backup unit. And it's Andrew Rupsich would be in the middle of that. Jared Christian who just came over from Cleveland. So I mean, there will be there are plenty of candidates, but he was gonna be right in the mix of all of it. And now we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 2: There's never a dull moment, Never a dull moment in camp. Nope, there really isn't.
Speaker 1: We've had some questions from folks about when shows start. Okay, yes, so Brian Callahan Radio starts August nineteenth, sixth Central on Titans Radio. One of the things that I wanted to share on this edition of the OTP because I think the ot people should know. Amy Wells is now co host of the Brian Callahan radio show.
Speaker 2: I am yes, I'm very excited. I'm excited to be a part of that radio show.
Speaker 1: Never had a co host on that show?
Speaker 2: You haven't? Never, Well, that's about time it is. No, I'm very excited to be a part of it. I think it's gonna be a really but.
Speaker 1: That's your Monday show at six that you've grown up with. The Brian Callian Show Monday August nineteenth is the first one in terms of the other radio shows. Mac Talk, which is Coach Mac's show with Rett Bryan yep. That actually starts September the third, sixth Central on one four to five the Zone Mac Talk begins. And then on the fourth, September fourth, that's Titans Tonight at six that's on Titans radio stations yep. And so that that begins.
Speaker 2: So you get a little post Labor Day treat, Yes, Mac Talk and Titans TWN.
Speaker 1: Yes, And there is a Brian Callahan show on August twenty sixth, and there is a Brian Callaiyan show on Labor Day.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is.
Speaker 1: So once we start the Brian Callian Show on August nineteenth, that's actually the first of twenty okay, TV shows. Yes, are you ready for TV shows? Titans Football with Brian Callahan on w KRN and some of our other fine stations throughout the region, which we appreciate Tuesdays at six point thirty. The first one is September ten. Yes, that's exciting, Tuesday after the Chicago game. Yes, so Titans Football with Brian Callahan, the Coach's TV Show, Tuesday, September tenth, six thirty. That's the first one. Yes, Yes, the first Titans All Access now in year twenty two. Yeah, ye're twenty two.
Speaker 2: I was trying to I was thinking about that. I was up in the middle of the night trying to figure out how many years of Titans All Access there had been.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's not what woke me up, but that's what I was thinking about it two in the morning the other night.
Speaker 1: How many years of twenty two years of Titans all Edge.
Speaker 2: So there's the answer. I didn't hit it. I didn't get at at too in the morning.
Speaker 1: Never once have we done a rules edition, which is why Titan accent, which is why it's still on after twenty two years. Yes, thank you running, and thank you for your great feedback again on the rules edition. Yeah, it was really it was really helpful. Oh you told us with your silence. Anyway, it returns the weekend of the first game Titans All Access September the sixth, Yes, is when it is first shown, and it's all over the region. Locally, it will be on Fox seventeen in Nashville at six o'clock on Fridays, which is really really exciting right before Big Ten football. That's great. We've never had an airtime this great in Nashville. We've had some good ones, but this is the best Friday nights at six Fox seventeen. Set your DVR now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Titans Game Day on wsa B Channel four obviously begins on September the eighth, ten thirty am, the morning of the Chicago game, and we'll be doing it from the field at Soldier Field.
Speaker 2: Very exciting to get back to our TV shows. Do you really think people still have DVRs?
Speaker 1: Mike, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Do you have a dvr?
Speaker 1: I mean, is it not called that anymore?
Speaker 2: I just don't. I don't I think a lot of people have cut the cord and therefore.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, no, I don't have I think there's still I mean I didn't say.
Speaker 2: DC's digital video recording.
Speaker 1: Well I have things that I watch on DVR, yes.
Speaker 2: Or do you just save it to the cloud?
Speaker 1: No? No, no on your no no, no.
Speaker 2: You still have cable.
Speaker 1: I still have a Yeah I do because of where I live out in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's kind of there's no internet work.
Speaker 1: Well it's it's not just no.
Speaker 2: I think it's good. You didn't say TVO.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't say t v O. I didn't say car phone. I didn't say vc.
Speaker 2: R, such your VCR time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't say that, right, So if we do, you think we've covered everything now.
Speaker 2: I mean beat it dead most of it. Yeah, Okay, I think I think this was solid.
Speaker 1: It's been a lot of players, we've we've heard from players, we've seen, we've seen the who's the real ut thing there's been.
Speaker 2: This has been a real potpourri.
Speaker 1: Potpourri for a hundred.
Speaker 2: And I think people like that. I don't know, we don't know what people like. Apparently we don't have.
Speaker 1: On what the people like. We'll find out.
Speaker 2: No, I feel good? Do you feel good?
Speaker 1: Sure? We're going to do another one of these early next week. Fantastic after the preseason game.
Speaker 2: When we have some real direction things to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we may go. We may go four downs. We may go. Yeah, now that you're.
Speaker 2: Back, Mike, I haven't gone four downs in so long.
Speaker 1: We did a four downs with you last year just because we knew you we were leaving from maternity leave, and so we did that that one time. People actually always did respond well to the four downs.
Speaker 2: I love four downs. I think it's the best way to cap a game.
Speaker 1: I've got to come up with four new downs, though. It's time to go with some new I used the same for a while. I've got it. I've got a coup.
Speaker 2: Okay, gosh, this is exciting for me.
Speaker 1: Now we'll do that you. Four Downs is backing next week for Amy Wells I Mike Keith just four downs away on the Keith.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 5: I don't mean