Speaker 1: Call Zone Media. Okay, hmm yeah, what a what a boring weekend?
Speaker 2: Am I? Right? H nothing? Wow? Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: What would have been me sitting down, as is my practice, to just record on Mondays to stay ahead of the game. Would be just me sitting here to record an episode about the Supreme Court changes, which will clearly come in play in a second. I am now recording a re introduction to this show because of some breaking head ass news. Apparently Trump is now confersd sing fifty cent songs.
Speaker 2: Many men they don't the little white boy took the shot.
Speaker 1: And I'm telling you, I was cracking funny on the internet, but I tell you what I mean.
Speaker 2: People was even sending me screenshots.
Speaker 1: Black people's first thought was, I hope the shooter ain't black. Y'all don't understand what we have gone through in this country. I just hope the shooter ain't black. That's just please don't be black. My own boy Fi Sean was like, I just hope he ain't Muslim, you know, And it's just like y'all don't understand. It's and since he a little white boy, we're gonna watch y'all just take care of this boy with some soft gloves. Anyway, all that to say, I'm was still run this episode about the one you were about to hear about the Democrats trying to change their headliner and how you know you're just It's not as easy as switching out Broken Leg Beyonce with Solange, because we love Solange, but she's just not Bae. Now, if I bought tickets to see Solange, that'd be different. I'd be excited about that, But I bought tickets to see back. But do I really want to see Broken Leg not dancing, missed the step for got lyrics, Bae, No fam, I'm gonna want my money back unless Bay says, Hey, I'm gonna step down from this because I know I'm not.
Speaker 2: Well, here's who I'm handing this show to.
Speaker 1: Don't you think that will push her queendom even further into the stratosphere That she was even humble enough to step down when she needed to, and she passed a baton to one of these young shooters, one of these young ladies to become the new queen.
Speaker 2: But if she was too just.
Speaker 1: Too prideful to like walk away from it, wonder what that would do for her legacy anyway, that's what you're about to hear. So listen to that intro and then I'm come back into It's like this, and we're gonna good.
Speaker 2: Lord Almighty, we're gonna talk.
Speaker 1: I'm recording this episode running the risk that it's going to be completely outdated by the time it comes out, but I want to go on record saying this is July eighth, and I'm trying to put y'all on game about it. I'm gonna try to pick people from various genres and eras to try to prove this point, and I think as I build up these examples, you'll understand the point I'm trying to make. Do you know who Dice row is? Okay, Murphy Lee? Do you know who Lloyd Banks is? How about Earl Sweatshirt? Do you know who? How about party next Door? Do you know who? I'll give you an easy one. You know who Kelly Rowland is? Y'all know Isaiah Rashad. Maybe I can do some sports ones. Y'all know who all y'all who knows sports? This might be easy for you, but that is my point. Do you know who Robert Oriy is? Shane Battier a little more current D'Angelo Russell. All these people have something in common that will become much more abundantly clear later. These people I'm mentioning are incredibly talented. But before I bring that in, I want to take y'all back to Camp Flognaw in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Because of current moments in culture, this may not hit the way it would have if we were having this discussion in like January or February, but we're not, so just stick with me. You have to go back to twenty nineteen now. Camp Vlagnaw is a California music festival put on by Tyler the creator and in connection with like the Odd Future crew that he's a part of. Now, you may or may not know, but one of the persons I brought up.
Speaker 2: Earlier is a member of Odd Future. This is Earl Sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: Earl Sweatshirt is an incredible artist, Stephen Lacey. I wish I knew he's a part of Odd Future. These are all members of this amazing, amazing collective. Now, I would venture to say that even with Stephen Lacy's moment in culture, and I don't say moment in the sense of minimizing it, and I'm saying it in the sense of it's new right that he's very much poised to be if everything goes well, the next sort of wave to come out of that collective that we all knew was started by Tyler, Right. Tyler was the leader of this movement of artists and has given us a number of music, one for which is going to be the subject of this example. Now, in twenty nineteen, Vlognaw sells thousands and thousands, tens of thousands of tickets to this festival that he puts on. But this year the headliner was a surprise. In twenty nineteen, and most people were hoping, believing, praying that the headliner would be another member of odd future, Frank Ocean. Now maybe you may or may not know, Frank Ocean is.
Speaker 2: A part of this collective.
Speaker 1: And my point about Stephen Lacy is, should everything go well, it's not that he could be the next Frank Ocean, but he could be the next wave you know of the type of stardom that Frank has given us from the same collective, and it's Stephen Lacey's a very talented young man. Now, Tyler and Frank Ocean have their own individual star power, which is a testament to how good of a leader Tyler is.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're crew.
Speaker 1: So the people kind of whipped themselves up into a frenzy as to believing that because Frank ain't popped out in a while and because of their relationship, and this was the expectation. Essentially, even without anybody telling them that it was official or not, these people bought tickets to see Frank Ocean. This is what I signed up for. It was a surprise, but this is what I signed up for. And there's no way Tyler didn't know. Right now, as the festival goes on, I mean, Staples is that, like, it was just the most amazing, amazing thing, incredible, incredible, incredible festival.
Speaker 2: And when the.
Speaker 1: Headliner finally pops out, it was none other than the Canadian boy Drake. Now, this is twenty nineteen Drake. Okay, this isn't twenty twenty four Drake, who is now Jah rule? This is two thousand nineteen Drake, the top of the world, Okay. And the crowd booed him and they listen, listen, this is pre Kendrick destruction. Like you have to remember this top of the world, Drake, This is an onna. This is can't lose hit after hit after hit. Drake, this is untouchable. This is stratosphere Drake. They booed him and they boot him, partially because it's not that Drake isn't that guy, it's they wanted Frank right.
Speaker 2: And the lesson to.
Speaker 1: Anybody, even though you didn't even announce it, the lesson to anyone is you can't just switch headliners. And I don't care how dysfunctional your headliner is, you can't just switch them out.
Speaker 2: It's really not that easy.
Speaker 1: We have to figure out what the Democrats are going to do hood politics, y'all. All right, welcome back. I don't know, like I said, what, I can't tell the future. I don't know what they actually did, but I do want to talk about this as a strategy. So depending on what happened, either take this as I told y'all, or this must be how they thought about it.
Speaker 2: But before I get into that, it like.
Speaker 1: This bull look is like this.
Speaker 2: Bull look is like this, well, look it's like this. Somebody then shot at Trump a.
Speaker 1: Real deal, whole, actual factual assassin attempt. Now, I'm sure at this moment in time, there is no particulars you not necessarily familiar with. And probably because I'm recording this a few days before this comes out, there's probably gonna be some new information that I, as right now don't know, But I tell you what, there are things to consider that have to do with political science, street politics that I think could help you interpret this moment right now.
Speaker 2: Let's first talk about the political science.
Speaker 1: Remember that our presidents have been assassinated before, notwithstanding the attempt to take out Reagan, you know, which some would argue shot him into the stratosphere. But point being, first thing you need to understand is that political violence is as old as politics itself. It's always been there. We are not in a particular moment that has not been deep thoroughly researched. That there are decades, multiple thousands of pages of research about the moment America's in right now and how you get to these moments, and there's examples everywhere, and it doesn't obviously, it doesn't happen overnight. These staunch political divisions that we have have been usually and historically stoked by some sort of autocrat, right wing or left wing that usually comes from a financial instability or a deep seated feeling of superiority towards another group, a group that had been vilified. Now in everybody of research, when at least in Western countries, in western white countries, your first sign that you got a problem is bored, young, disenfranchised white boys.
Speaker 2: This is just what the research shows.
Speaker 1: Do you know when America started the Boys Out of America, the YMCA, and of course all of these things are boys and girls club, right, that used to be called the boys club. These come, These came from a body of research in nineteen nineteen that was saying boys are bored and they're getting into mischief and they don't know how to have character. No more white boys. Just I'm just saying, this is just our history. White boys begetting radicalized. This is I'm talking about again, white dominant Western countries, Nazi movement.
Speaker 2: Y'all know.
Speaker 1: Look, it was just bored, angry, disenfranchised white boys. This is what happens, man, Them little white boys get bored and riled up. It's just it's Look, this is the research. The economic wealth gap, the feeling of being left out from you know, society. A society moves on and becomes more equal. When did Kennedy gets shot? When was Malcolm X's shot. When was Martin Luther King shot when we were reaching I just look, I don't and listen. All over the world, no political wing has cornered the market on stoking or receiving or being both A and B on political violence assassinations.
Speaker 2: Nobody's got a corner on this.
Speaker 1: But I will say this authoritarianism and lead those that lead to it have a higher chance of these moments happening in their culture. That's just I mean, it's just the research. Man. You can look at the work of Robert Putnam, he talks about these particular things. You can look at the work of Daniel Ziebat and Stephen Levinsky. They're the authors of this book called How Democracies Die in Tyranny of the Minority, which is.
Speaker 2: A whole other talk.
Speaker 1: We need to talk about that, like how some of this stuff gets ratcheted up, but essentially, like the tyranny of the minority is the idea that like keep in mind, Trump has never won the popular vote. He's never actually we never actually chose him. It was always through the electoral college in our House.
Speaker 2: And in our Senate.
Speaker 1: These extremely right wing policies that have been passed really only represent thirty percent of our population, and they're the ones running things, the courts, So it's a minority of the people, right, Because the reality is this, people really don't like Donald Trump the numbers game, He's deeply unliked. But the oversized power and authority to push their choices onto people's the tyranny of the minority.
Speaker 2: Now keep in mind, I'm gonna keep it real.
Speaker 1: That's the way the right felt during the eighties and nineties when we was passing stuff like I don't know, quality stuff, right. So the point I'm trying to make is that's one way to think about how a country gets here. There is an actual index that rates countries democracies in terms of their health. Now, granted, I mean, how exact can this science be, but it's the tools we use to be able to rubric if we wield to be like, yo, are we own or not?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And you score it on a scale of one to one hundred. Now our score dropped about ten points recently. The points the points scale, it's silly and arbitrary. That's not what I'm bringing up. What I'm bringing up is what these experts who study democracies around the world try to tell you is signs of warning, signs signs of unhealth, one of which is the peaceful transfer of power and the lack of confidence in your electoral process. When people feel like their choices aren't heard, When people feel like their elections aren't protected or safe. When you question the legitimacy of the entire institution, your institution is probably on the verge of falling. Our democracy is unwell. Now, your boy is not an institutionalist. I wrote a whole book called terror Form, which has to do it like tearing the old shit down and starting over. So I'm not an institutionalist, but I'm a realist. And honestly, black people, people of colored since day one, was trying to tell y'all, y'all building this shaky, this likes this is not well. Like y'all not well, and you have not been willing to go back and fix the problems. You just you're like silly landlords to just rather than fixing holes, you just paint over them like you can't just.
Speaker 2: It's all bad. And when empires start.
Speaker 1: Falling, they grab onto the one guy that says, don't worry about it, I got it. I'll fix it because it makes you feel safe. And what he got to do to do that is he got to create enemies out of everybody else. This is gonna make violence. I just don't want us to tell you now. Switching my hat from a geopolitical teacher to a tour guy through the hood fam, it's the same.
Speaker 2: Bruh. You can't y'all ratcheted up to talk. Y'all was talking that talk. You y'all talk to gang talk.
Speaker 1: You talk like you not civilians, like you got them things and you ready to shoot, and you when you stand on business, and when you stand on business, somebody gonna test your jaw. If I feel like you messing up the game, you ruin in the plays were trying to run. If I feel like you fraudulent in a certain way, I feel like you putting the block in danger. Listen, Blame is not the discussion. And we not talking about blaming, because who do you blame when the gang start Like, what do you mean blame? This goes back too far. There's too many grievances. Everybody's said things that they weren't supposed to be said. Now, when you get somebody that's really talking that tough talk, it's what I just don't understand what you understand. You can't talk that tough talk. When you talk that tough talk, somebody gonna think you a tough guy. And if you a tough guy, shake it off.
Speaker 2: You'll be all right.
Speaker 1: And the words of camraon niggas get shot every day, you tough, right, you be all right. It's just this is just what be happening. Everybody talk like this the end of the world. If we don't fix it, well, somebody gonna try to fix it.
Speaker 2: Now. It feels very.
Speaker 1: Special right now because it's been it's been decades, unless you count Nagcy Pelosi's husband, right, but either way, it's just been a long time since something like this happened. And lucky for Trump grazed his ear and now he gets to again sing fifty cent songs many men, you know, he gets to make his old his full get rich or die drying record with his mouth kind of wired shut a little bit because he got shot in the mouth. You feel me like y'all. He's turned this man into a superhero bro As of right now, the conspiracy theories, like I said on the social media's, are about to be outlandish now in a world where AI abounds and deep fakes and misinformation. Y'all gotta slow, y'all roll, Keep your theories to your group text because you don't want sounds super dumb or cause another shooting because you out here spouting off stuff. You don't know what you're talking about anyway you feel me, So that's the game I'm gonna give you right there, like keep.
Speaker 2: Your little keep your little conspira, keep keep it to the group text.
Speaker 1: Send the memes to the group text you feel me right or directly to me because I listen, I'm black.
Speaker 2: I'll be laughing at pain. I get it. We crack jokes. You understand how we process stuff.
Speaker 1: I highly suggest that you keep your head about you about these conspiracy theories. Next thing I say is about Trump's instincts that fools Antennas to be like, I'm gonna throw my fist up right now with the blood streaking down my ears, like demand nobody know TV better than this man.
Speaker 2: I'd like it. Listen.
Speaker 1: Remember I told y'all, if he was able to shake off these things, I would have to be like, you know what respect do? And I mean he was in the middle of shaking off all the all types of acceptance of repercussions. He was finished shake off all of repercussions for his fraudulent false choices, one of which comes in play right now. So let's just pretend like Biden was about that life and called for this shooting. As of last week, he would be immune anyway, because as an official presidential act that's covered in privilege, you can't even bring no evidence in according to the Supreme Court. Look like my mama say, don't write a check with your mouth. Your booty can't cash you love. Listen, I'm just saying, this is the law that y'all.
Speaker 2: Y'all just passed.
Speaker 1: The law just now for a type of immunity that's covered under the executive branch.
Speaker 2: So what you do official acts?
Speaker 1: And Chief Justice Soda Mayor told y'all that you green lighten people.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not saying obviously, I'm not saying Joe did this.
Speaker 1: No. I love my share of conspiracy theories, but I tell you what, this one would be lame. I like the idea of people saying it was stage it kind of like, okay, this is what I mean. Like, like, y'aslo keep that in your group text. Maybe have your little angles and do your thing. But all I'm saying is tie the politics together. Thanks to the Supreme Court, even if it was Joe, because of your work, you couldn't prosecute him anyway. Yeah, good going, bro, Next time think about your actions, right, sird. Anyway, as of the time you hearing this, Trump then already stood up in the RNC and got his crown. Unless another shooter don't miss, then that's probably what's happening in two days ago from the day that this dropped. And at the end of the day, there's no other there's no other way to explain this that Like, one, this might have sealed the deal for him to be in office. Two, well, now none of his crimes matter in the eyes of the public, which is why a lot of people think this might have mistakes. And three, we need to brace ourselves for the wildest of the next five years. Part of why I feel pretty confident that we're gonna have another four years of this man is because of the rest of the episode.
Speaker 2: You about to eat bull gets like bully gets like this.
Speaker 1: All right now, overall, there's a there's a point I'm gonna make here, and then I'm gonna talk about, uh who, at least as of this moment July eighth, who the Democrats are thinking about, and then what strategy I would deploy if it was like, we're not gonna we're not gonna be able to switch out this headliner, headliner being if you ain't figured it out, Joe Biden. But back to this camp flognaw thing. Tyler holds such a special place in hip hop and specifically la and hip hop in the sense that like this, like nerd rap is a thing, right, that's your like logics of the world, but his nerd rap is a.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to say it except that it's it's white, like it's just I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 1: Tyler comes from a left of center, but he's very West Coast. It's very creative, it's he's a brilliant artist, but he's also like like your nigga, you know what I'm saying, but yeh nigga in a sense that, like most of Los Angeles is where we're not all meet the whoops, which was why it was so beautiful that they included Tyler and Stephen Lacy at the PopOut.
Speaker 2: I'll remember again Stephen Lacy from Compton, So it.
Speaker 1: Was very important that these types of other sides of California were also represented. And to give this man his flowers, Tyler been putting on for La for a long long time, and let me take a moment to give my boy mersus flowers who used to run Paid Dues, who put odd future on the Pay Dues Festival, which actually helped push them forward. So the lineage is beautiful and out of that collective, like I said, you have Comedy Central songs, you have one of the Despicable Me tracks, right, and you have a person mentioned earlier, Earl Sweatshirt, a person mentioned a group, a group called the Internet.
Speaker 2: You have sid you have.
Speaker 1: Taco, you have Frank Ocean, you have Stephen Lacy. Tyler has made this collective that has drawn in this world of like artists, kids like weirdo kids. So that's why I was like, it's not necessarily nerd, it's just weirdo. Like we're just not just the not popular as in pop culture, but not gangbanging, but we just we like what we like. And the crowd reception of Tyler and Stephen at the pop out was proof that, like most of us are like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in Tyler's mind it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: He's like and even rapped about it before, and then he tweeted about it the next day how he was embarrassed how the crowd treated Drake. He was like, I thought, if I broke bread to bring in the biggest artist in the world, that y'all would be cool about it. But y'all embarrassed me, straight booing this man from the stage. But them kids don't care. It didn't matter the stratosphere ability, and of course everybody calmed down as the show went on, But the stratosphere ability.
Speaker 2: Of the artists made no difference.
Speaker 1: If we signed up for Frank Ocean, you signed up for Frank Ocean. Now, I'm gonna go back into the examples I gave you before. Kelly Rowland was a member of Destiny's Child. Now, if you bought the Beyonce tickets and Beyonce got sick, are you trying to see Kelly Rowland show?
Speaker 2: Now? Does that have.
Speaker 1: Any bearing on whether Kelly Rowland is an incredibly talented artist with hits all her own. It makes no bearing of it. We signed up for Beyonce. What if Beyonce broke her leg. You gonna you're gonna take broke What if Beyonce was eighty nine years old, you gonna take you gonna take a broke Beyonce?
Speaker 2: Right, so.
Speaker 1: I mentioned earl sweatshirt. If you bought a Tyler the Creator ticket and Tyler got laryngitis, do you cancel the show or do you bring in earl sweatshirt? It's not that easy, is the point I'm trying to make. Murphy Lee was a member of the same Lunatics. So if you wanted to see Nelly, you're gonna settle for Murphy Lee Dicera as a member of the Roots. You want to see you going to the Roots picnic and black Thought isn't feeling well. If you're the promoter, do you cancel the show? If you're looking at if you went to the rehearsals and you saw your headliner, you saw you saw beyond. You saw her struggle through her routines, you barely get her words out, You saw her mess up song lyrics. Now, obviously I can't see this ever happening, but just follow my example. You see that like she ain't got this, she don't how to step sheet. But you done, already sold all the tickets, her posts, her name on every poster. You done bought the billboards, You done bought the commercial spots. I brought up Isaiah Rashad, Isaiah Rashad's and member of TDE. He was one of the first acts that they signed after Black Hippie was all signed. He was one of the first ones they added to the roster. He fit perfectly. But if you bought a Kendrick Lamar ticket, do you want to see Isaiah Rashad? Does that mean he's not talented? It has nothing to do with his talent. It means it's not what we signed up for. And even if Kendrick had lost his mind, you bought a Kendrick ticket. Now, if you're the promoter, a lot is riding on this. You can't just switch out headliners. I have been on a tour where the supporting act got switched out the week before.
Speaker 2: With someone who I would argue is of equal or.
Speaker 1: Might be greater talent. That it matters now y'all signed up for. It just causes chaos. So what do you do if you're the promoter? Because it's not that simple. You can't just switch the headliner as you as the buyer, That's what I'm asking these questions. If you're the buyer, you bought a ticket to see Beyonce, and if Beyonce is not coming, and they just add some are you still gonna go to the concert? He's like, gosh, man, my three hundred dollars, but you spend your three hundred dollars to see her. What you probably gonna do.
Speaker 2: Is sit it out. And I don't know who you could possibly put in her place? And again, do you have to go? How do you go higher? Like if we're talking like who's higher than who's higher than Beyonce? Like what do you do? Your hope is to get somebody younger? What do you do?
Speaker 1: And I say this to say this is the position that the Democratic Party finds their self in now. To keep this metaphor going is to say that you knew good and well Beyonce wasn't ready for this tour. I'm I'm just saying if it was that, and but if she was insistent, like I'm doing this, but all of us can tell huh, Like let's just say this is twenty thirty four, Beyonce, I don't know, you know what I'm saying like she don't. I'm just the point I'm trying to make is it's very obvious that she's Queen Bay and nobody taking that from her. It's just maybe maybe this ain't Joe moment.
Speaker 2: I but what are you gonna do? Well? Joe Biden had a.
Speaker 1: Abysmal performance at the first debate. Now, when I say performance, I say that word on purpose because okay, now here's your here's your here's your political theory. Here. In a lot of countries you have a lot of like modern democracies, you have a president and a prime minister. Right, the president is more figurehead. The prime minister does the work, right, the actual running of a government, President prime minister. In the UK you have the Queen, well now the king and then the prime minister. The prime minister does the work. These are two different people. What's unique about America is and other countries that are like this, they are those two roles are one person. You are the figurehead and the administrator. You have to be able to do both. It's the equivalent to the think of like the guitar whiz, the musician, the band that just loves music so much that when you go see them play. They're really not paying you no attention. They're actually enjoying themselves. The performer that turns their back and it's just like vibing with the band. I mean, it's cool, it sounds amazing, it's technically sounds amazing, But was it a good show? Because it's like I wasn't a part of it. I'm not a part of it. You're not even paying me any attention. The crowds just the crowd could be there or not there. You just love the music, which, if you're into that, that's amazing. Then on the other hand, you have a person who's remarkably entertaining. If you ask a Latina that you're j LO, there's a civil war among Latin women about how they feel about j LO. You either love her or hate her. I'm gonna argue which part of the Latin community is. It depends on if Selena is your patent saint, because if Selena is your patron saint, then you're sort of offended that JLO played her.
Speaker 2: Out of anyway.
Speaker 1: The point I'm trying to bake is it's no secret that Jennifer Lopez don't have the greatest voice, but she is a remarkable performer. She's an incredible entertainer. There's no other way around it. She's an incredible entertainer. It's a pretty mid singer. It's just apparently I'm learning now that that's the Alicia Keyes story. I felt like she was a great singer.
Speaker 2: But how what do I know? Anyway?
Speaker 1: The point is in America, you have to be able to do both. You have to be a great musician and a great performer in terms of following my metaphor in terms of being the president. So Biden's performance had very little to do. That's why I say performance as very little dude with the substance of what he was trying to say. Now, this is not me again, I've said it many times. It's not me being a Biden stand This is me saying that in a lot of times, in a lot of scenarios, I got what he was trying to say because of his track record of like ups.
Speaker 2: And downs and goods and bads and.
Speaker 1: Abysmal policies and also incredible policies that have benefited our country in ways that no one and especially him, has been able to articulate. He couldn't get the words out. The problem is you have to be able to do both. You have to be able to actually know the policy and perform. Which is why my argument between the two of Trump and Biden is Donald Trump's an incredible performer. He just don't know what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: Or when he is talking. He lied like.
Speaker 1: Your policies are trash, even the ones that are that you're gloating as wins, like that's the inflation you talking about, It was.
Speaker 2: Because of your policies.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying, if you're gonna get into the weeds of the policies, Trump can articulate bad policies. Well, now having said that about old Trumpy, I am calling some of these bad policies only because I disagree with him. They may not necessarily be air quotes bad. I just don't agree with that direction.
Speaker 2: So let me just say that. And then some of the stuff is like I don't know, gee, you lost your mind.
Speaker 1: You gotta be able to do both. Why was Barack Obama what he was was because he could do both. Now I have some strong issues with a good number of his policies, of course, but he carried the position, well, you gotta get you one to do both. It is abundantly clear to the Democratic Party that mister Biden can't do both right now. As a matter of fact, according to the people that ain't willing to say it with their whole chest, people going off record, people not willing to stand on business, they saying it with part of their chess is that he's getting less and less lucid as time goes on. And these people are afraid of saying it out loud, but they all whispering it. There's been about four people that have said it out loud that it's like, I think it's time for us to switch our headline. And I hope they're saying it understanding the risk that that is a risk that's very obvious to you who's listening, which is, how do you convince people who already purchase their ticket to not just sit it out because it looks like you don't know what you're talking about. Who do you put in place that makes people that have already bought their ticket soonoper excited about the person you bringing in, which is why I bring up Dice Raw.
Speaker 2: That's an incredible rapper.
Speaker 1: He's not black thought, But you have to convince people that only know the roots based on Jimmy fallon that Dice raws you'll do. You have to convince people that Murphy Lee can rap his tail. You have to convince people that Lloyd Banks can wrap his tail off because fifty cent is too drunk to perform. Oh yeah, because Lloyd Banks was a member of g Unit. So you have to convince them. I know, because I love hip hop, but I also know most of y'all don't know.
Speaker 2: So who do you bring? You need somebody that is half.
Speaker 1: Joe's age, understands the policy and has a big enough back to put the country on their shoulders in this situation. Nobody knows if it's really enough, If the disgust and the fear of another four years of Donald Trump, if that's an enough I'm saying this again as a democratic strategist, is this enough to get people out? And what it's showing is it's not for two reasons, one Gaza.
Speaker 2: And two The one thing you had to prove is not that you're smarter or more integral than Trump. You just had to prove that you could last for four years, that you could get a sentence out. And it didn't prove it. And there's not a surrogate in the world that could convince people. It's got to be Joe. It's got to be. You have to prove it. The hate vote, the vote against Trump or the vote for Biden is the question that they're kind of writing on. But is it Is it enough? And I don't know, because again.
Speaker 1: I think it's very important to remember that the people that love Trump are just very loud.
Speaker 2: But it's it's not a lot of them like he.
Speaker 1: It's it just seems like he has more fans than he does because his fans are so loyal. And the fact that again he can bend reality because apparently he's completely immune for any other actions he's done because he was able to convince fools that they were official acts. It's unbelievable anyway. But either way, his strategy is locked.
Speaker 2: It's easy. He got he got two notes to hit and he just got to keep hitting them.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about former President Trump like it's his strategy's on lock.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 1: Now all he has to do is just like again, like what I would imagine he would do is figure out a way to run for a third time. I could imagine him trying to figure out a way to have a third term. And because he was able to just really morph this Supreme Court into whatever he wanted, I could see it happening.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so let that be put that in your think tank for whoever headlines the Democratic Party. That's why bring up these other artists. It's not that they're not talented, it's not that they're not brilliant. So anybody I'm about to bring up right now at that the Democratic Party is looking at as of today, it's not that they're not talented. It's not that they may not have a shot at this a few years from now. But if you bought tickets to Frank Ocean, do you think Stephen Lacy could handle the tour?
Speaker 2: Could he open it?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? It would change his career forever. Matter of fact, he should open it. But should he headline it. Let's talk about who we talk about next. Right, we're back now the list of the people were talking about. In a perfect world, let me just talk strategy. In a perfect world, this is who you run in twenty twenty eight. Any of these people should be who should be in the primaries for the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: By this time, they'll be ready. This is just not the case today. And this is who they talk about. Now.
Speaker 1: Remember again, as of today, Joe Biden said, I need to hear from the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 2: I need to see the cloud by day to pill it by night.
Speaker 1: I need the archangel Gabriel to Hell Mary full of grace, me to tap into my room, to split the sky open and say the Lord told me to drop out.
Speaker 2: That's what he say.
Speaker 1: But the squad is like, hey, bro, you caught a fade so bad that now the hood's taking ls. So here's who we think maybe could be the ones. Now again we just talking strategy here. The first one. So she's the governor of Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer.
Speaker 2: Now why her?
Speaker 1: Now, remember she was the lady that them weirdo dudes tried to kidnap and kill her. Y'all remember that a few years ago that she was there was a whole plot to kidnap her and tortury kill it at Michigan. She's in a place where she is articulate. She protected abortion rights up there. She's in a place that has become such a like what they would call like a battleground state, a place where should have been a shoe in for somebody like Joe Biden, like, this is tough as nails, working class at least Detroit is you know this union town?
Speaker 2: You feel me? So it should have been easy, but it's not. And Gretchen believes she can deliver.
Speaker 1: She could deliver Michigan. She's she's scoring a lot of points for the party. And she also just dropped her book now when they asked her like, hey, so if Joe steps down, would you be down? She's like nah, And you know everybody's supposed to say that, Nah, you just yeah, yeah, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Everybody's been talking about Gavin Newsom forever that he's a possibility with his old slick hair back. But he been He's been caping for Biden for a long time and caping very hard, and like we say, you know, a staunchly Democratic state who always wants to smoke when it comes to debates. He's very good on his feet, he performs well. Now again, I'm a Cali boys, so I have a lot of objections with some choices that mister Newsom has made, but I feel like he would be able to continue to keep that smoke up for for for Donald Trump. But I don't know if he's Frank Ocean. I think he might still be Stephen Lacey. Give him a few years, he might be ready. Another one is Mayor Pete Mayor Pete Footage. His biggest thing is getting over that name Bootage. It's just it just don't rull off the tongue. Unfortunately. Now that's this is me saying this post Barack Hussein Obama. So there, you never know, right, You also have to ask yourself is our country still homophobic? Just like you got to ask yourself with Sister Gretchen. You know, Governor Gretchen. Are we still a patriarchal society?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, maybe.
Speaker 1: Now Pete's got a little more experienced Pete ran before. We kind of know what he believes. He's got, the type of temperament. Could he clap back at Trump in this fight. I don't know, but I know it seems like it's real late in the game to change the headliner. And then finally, the most obvious choice would be Auntie Kamala. A lot of pros and cons for this one is she's already on the bill, She's already been in the Oval office. Now, granted she's incredibly unliked, But then again, let's keep it real.
Speaker 2: So is Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Another thing Vice President Kama got going for is she's been calling for the ceasefire this whole time. She's not on board with this US, you know, as a nation, being so complicit in these obvious war crimes being committed in Gaza.
Speaker 2: So there's that.
Speaker 1: However, again she's able to say that as the vice president, so in some senses she has cover.
Speaker 2: Now would she beat at Bolt as the president?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because again you got to beat the policy and the figurehead, and we all know vice presidents don't count. But any of these four people would survive the next four years. We just don't know if Biden will. And that's the problem. She would make the most logical choice, like I said, because one, she already understands the policy, she knows the playbook, she can articulate it well. She's actually off the cuff, pretty funny. And that's what you kind of need. Remember, you need a position of both. We could, in some senses, you could put the right people around a person who don't understand the policies well and make them be all right. But the stuff that you can't train is how she ain't seeing the wheels on the bus go round and around. Right, was the weirdest I just ain't never seen. And I know it don't matter, but the problem is, yes it do. That's that's what sucks about our system. Stuff that don't matter matters, And you can't just replace your headliner now if and when we stuck with Joe. So here's my advice for their strategy as a party. My first advice is, you have this Sarah gets fallback. You have people that stump for you, that are like, that's our dude, that's our that's our guy, you know that, come out and say, no, he's very sharp, he is our man. He's got so many years of experience. We're behind him because that feels like cap because of what we saw.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: So since I can't trust none of your surrogates because I know what I saw, So if it were me, I would say the first number one step is tell every sarrogate to just check the tell it to tell people to just check the scoreboard. Okay, say I'm not even talking about that. The man can speak for himself. Let's just look at the scoreboard and then you just start running down the scoreboard, right, and then equipped these people with clips of Joe talking that talk, which means every chance Joe has to pop out and talk that talk, he need to talk his talk. It needs to be his voice. He needs to own what he did. Yeah, dog got a bad day, and yeah I'm old, but so is this nigga. But at least I'm old and know what I'm talking about. You make sure that when he so, that's it. So you make sure that every saraghate knows to say. Joe can speak for himself. All I know is the scoreboard, and you start running down the scoreboard. You start running down all the different wins that he had, right, the infrastructure stuff, you feel me, the scheduling of the weed.
Speaker 2: You understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You start talking about the stuff that like should be really easy to talk about, like, which is how I'm not a felon. How if I listen, you ain't ask me. I'm not looking for no governmental I'm not looking for no presidential immunity. You don't need to because I do the job well. And also listen, I love my son and I'm not gonna bend the courts. He's gonna take responsibility for his actions.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 1: He made some horrible choices, and I'm gonna stick by him all the whole time. He's got a loving, loving family that will always be by his side no matter how many mistakes he makes. And I understand how he fell into that situation, just like a lot of Americans who have fallen to opioid to who have fallen into drugs, especially after going through such traumatic experiences, have If you've experienced lost the way my son experienced lost, man, you know who among us wouldn't make you know? And we all have family that have have made, you know, bad choices in coping with tragedy that's beyond our imagination. It's my son, and he's gonna have to deal with the consequences of his choices, and I'm gonna be by his side the whole time.
Speaker 2: But I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't save him from his choices. I'm not gonna lie for him, and he wouldn't want me to. He's going to rehab, he's gonna he's gonna get himself better. But he's also not running for president.
Speaker 2: Easy enough to me.
Speaker 1: I don't have to turn myself into a pretzel to try to explain away. January sixth, because again, if we talk about what we saw you saying, believe your eyes about me, believe your eyes about him. I don't understand what y'all like. Blee your eyes about that. Like that man told you who he is. You switch this object, like what is we talking about? Whether Joe old or not? Of course he owed, but check the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: The man delivers. That's what you say.
Speaker 1: You start talking about his wisdom, and then Joe when you pop out. Listen, here's how you coach this man short answers, because it's when he starts to try to fumble and explain something super complex, that's when he starts losing his train of thought.
Speaker 2: Short answers. Listen.
Speaker 1: I have done many a media training and I know and I know that things will get chopped up. They're gonna take a clip and you're gonna chop it up, and pending on whether these people like me or not, they gonna chop it up in a way that makes me look either good or bad.
Speaker 2: So you make sure your answers are as.
Speaker 1: Short as possible, sweet as possible, and as concise as possible. And you got to cure if you the team, you got to curate that right, You got to make him watch make him watch tapes. You feel me like like we ween training right now, and just make him watch tapes of when Trump is talking and how to cut him off and what to cut him off about. Remember that a few weeks ago I gave y'all an example about when Trump was asked about childcare and helping to pay for that. He went off on the fact that Joe has never fired nobody. That should have been your green light. So after he had his two minutes to talk, all you have to do Joe is say, hey, I was just waiting for.
Speaker 2: Him to answer the question. He ain't answered the question, so well, here's my answer. Then you give your answer, which is about I told you in the other example. You tell him.
Speaker 1: You tell him about you tell him about your plans to hire minimum wage and the lower taxes for the middle class because that health childcare costs so much because you're not making enough and we're taxing you too, hide so it's impossible. Plus the cost of health care is insane. I'm trying to take all that off y'all's plates. And if I took health care off your plates, you have to pay for that. If you don't have to pay so much in taxes, and your childcare, even at the price it's at now, would be affordable because you make it more and it's not going out to stuff that you shouldn't be having to pay for anyway. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't have to pay for childcare anyway. If you can't, we got money as the government, because again, the budget is a moral document. You we're saying what we value, and what I'm trying to say is in the Biden administration, we value our children. We value our families, who value our children, We'll spend on that. But this is to talk about who you're gonna fire or not, Like I don't even know what you're talking about. You've got like do y'all want to let him answer? Like, go ahead and answer, this is my answer. Now, I don't know what his plan is because he ain't told us that. I mean, like, then you just you put the onus on him. Joe always on defense whenever they talk the idea that like don't even acknowledge it, just you acknowledge it in a way to make it look silly. Right, So then as he talking about like the border, the border, the border, the border. You know these people, these people they stealing, they stealing, they stealing. It's like then you go, hey, homie, you're like a you only got one note, bro, Like you think all the problems of America goes back to the border.
Speaker 2: Is that's your answer to everything? Is the border.
Speaker 1: That's the problem with everything, every everybody. So that's all right, man, And then you say that seems pretty simple to me. I found that this job is rather complicated and the border is one of many things that we could do better in. But if you just want to blame all your problems on immigrants, I mean, I know somebody that did that before.
Speaker 2: You just let it. You just let it, let it, let it linger, let it linger, baby, and you just don't get into it. And you say like, hey, so so that's your answer, and then you start teasing it like, hey, my answer is this.
Speaker 1: I know his answer is his answer is the border. You know what I'm saying. So, like, let me tell you what he gonna say. He gonna say the border. You just trolling because that's all you say. Right like I said before, whenever another question come up, you're gonna say, well, I'll tell you what I'll tell you what I tell you one thing, I know Trump gonna say, he gonna say it's not his fault.
Speaker 2: He gonna say it's to everybody else's fault. You just be wise and then tell the.
Speaker 1: Sarah Gates to be like, look at the scoreboard. And then when they say, well, mister Biden, what is your answer, Well, here's my answer. My answer is what we've already done. It's what I'm in the middle of working all right now, scoreboard. And then if you, Joe, you say, here's where we messed up. Here's where we're gonna do better next time. Here's what I'm gonna do to assuay y'all's concern about my age. These are the people I'm bringing around me. I'm bringing some fresh breath around me and some fresh lung, some good knees. I'm gonna bring some good knees around me. And this is what we're gonna do. I'm gonna bring my wisdom, and I'm gonna bring their youth, and we're gonna make the most amazing cabinet ever.
Speaker 2: That's just like it seems so easy to me. That's what you would say. You own it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the youngest dude. You know what I'm saying, but I'm gonna bring a lot of wisdom. Now, you look at these people around me. You see these young folks out here, You see these sparks. Then you start naming these people that are supposed to be the next up. I'm talking to Gavin, I'm talking to Gretchen, and I'm talking to Kamala like I'm talking to these people like I'm.
Speaker 2: Letting them tell me like this ain't This ain't a one man show.
Speaker 1: Unlike this food. Don't want you to believe it. It's not a one man show. I'm here for the team. I know more around weaknesses are. That's why I hire people that are good in the places that I need some help. And where I need some help is my bedtime ten thirty. Y'all make the joke about it, just own it's since you're not.
Speaker 2: Gonna step down, that's the type of trash you need to start talking. Now.
Speaker 1: If we're going back to the headliner show thing, then yo two hour performance need to be an hour and fifteen performance, and they need to be your greatest hits. And you need to know to go sit down before you start looking tired. This is only if you stay it. You could be like, I'm too old for this, Let's let the young things do it. But since you're not gonna do it, I get it. But at the end of the day, the party is in a position where even if you wanted to one of the hardest things in the world, after you'dne sold all these tickets and built all these billboards and made all them flyers switching out headliners. Now, on the other hand, it could go where the crowd is actually proud of you. The crowd is like, I'm glad, y'all, not thank you.
Speaker 2: Like we see it. Nobody wants to.
Speaker 1: See their stars lose a step. I don't want to see. I don't want to see Beyonce that cane dance. I don't want to see. I don't want to see it. I want to remember her how I remember her so so if you tell me, hey, look man, she can't y'all gonna she can't do it, man, But she has hand picked the person. Like, think how powerful that is. If Beyonce is like, I am handpicking the person these three I would be so cool if any of these three people. If she say I'll be down, I'll be down. If loudo I'll be down. If Megan, I'll be down. If Janey, Iiko, Jasmine Sulliman her, I'd be cool. If any of them came through, I.
Speaker 2: Would definitely buy them tickets. I don't know the slow Curl.
Speaker 1: If Billie Eilish, I'd be I would co sign any of these ladies to come take care of it.
Speaker 2: This. Are they icon Queen Bays? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: But you know what if she was like, my knees can't do it no more, and she said she'd be cool with that, I think the crowd might be cool with it.
Speaker 2: Or and of course you gonna lose. You gonna lose.
Speaker 1: People don't want their money back because that's not what they paid for, you know. But some people might be like, hey, I'm gonna keep supporting you because you did the right thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't tell the future.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they've done, but I know this. It's gonna be an ugly few months politics. All right, now, don't you hit stop on this pod. You better listen to these credits. I need you to finish this thing so I can get the download numbers. Okay, so don't stop it yet, but listen. This was recorded in East Lost Boyle Heights by your Boy Propaganda. Tap in with me at prop hip hop dot com. If you're in the Coldbrew coffee we got Terraform Coldbrew. You can go there dot com and use promo code hood get twenty percent off get yourself some coffee. This was mixed, edited, and mastered by your boy Matt Awsowski Killing the beat Softly. Check out his website Mattowsowski dot com. I'm a spelling for you because I know M A T T O S O W s ki dot com Matdowsowski dot com. He got more music and stuff like that on there, so gonna check out The heat. Politics is a member of cool Zone Media, executive produced by Sophie Lichterman, part of the iHeartMedia podcast network. Your theme music and scoring is also by the one and nobly Mattowsowski. Still killing the beat softly, So listen, don't let nobody lie to you. If you understand urban living, you understand politics. These people is not smarter than you. We'll see y'all next week.