Speaker 1: Mother Knows Death starring Nicole and Jemmy and Maria qk Hi.
Speaker 2: Everyone welcome The Mother Knows Death. On today's episode, we're going to be talking about the continuing drama of Gene Hackman and his wife's death. A YouTuber who was killed after revealing their location, a man who was held captive by a stepmother for years, a baby cut out of a pregnant teenager, a woman trying to sell toes on the Internet, a man who just ate a rat in the middle of New York City, and reasons why I don't want to send my kids away to college. So let's get started with Gene Hackman again for the third week in a row.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought we were definitely done talking about this Gene Hackman case. But now Betsy, his wife's doctor, has come out to say that she called him the day after police said she died.
Speaker 2: All right, I think this is kind of duchey by the doctor, and I really don't understand what the point is exactly, except to get publicity for himself. Because the medical examiner said quote, based on the circumstances, it is reasonable to conclude that Betsy passed away. First with February eleventh being the last time that she was known to be alive, which is true, that's the last time that we heard from her. And they said multiple times that this is and it's an estimate, like there's no internal clock that people have that tell you exactly what time and day they died. You're just doing it based upon the investigation and based upon what you see at autopsy, Like you could estimate based on like, Okay, these changes wouldn't be seen in a couple of days, This might take a couple of weeks, based on the environment and things like that. But there's there's no one ever said that there was a magic date that that was the day that she definitely died. And this doctor is just kind of a douchebag for even bringing that up, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, unless you're on Yellowstone season five and there's no witnesses or anything, remember I was telling you about that, they were they're like, oh, he died at this exact time, but there was no video footage, there's no witnesses, Like, how do you know he died at that exact minute from the autime?
Speaker 2: See? And then the doctor, this doctor was also so he first started off saying that She wasn't his patient. She was referred by a friend to this doctor, so he doesn't really know anything about her because he's never really physically examined her. But he had to make sure that he kept saying she didn't have any respiratory symptoms, like, Okay, who cares, what does that have to do with anything? I told you guys last week that or whenever this information came out. That was last week that we went over this, that the haunted virus, when you get the infection and then when you start showing symptoms, it could be anywhere from one week to five weeks after you're exposed to it. But I told you that, you know, the first three to six days of the virus, you don't start showing any respiratory symptoms. So she could have called because she just was feeling like it was just coming on and she was feeling unwell, and so she wouldn't have had any respiratory symptoms. And I don't know if you remember me saying that once the cardio pulmonary symptoms come on, then that's it could be very rapid that your lung spill up with fluid and everything. So that could have happened like we said, she went out on that one day and then she wasn't heard from again, and that's when that could have happened at her house, and it could have just came on very quick, within twenty four hours, maybe even faster, that she went from feeling okay to dead. So what exactly is this doctor trying to do except stir up drama and confusion that doesn't need to be there.
Speaker 1: Well, I agree with you, especially because he was saying that she was supposed to come in later that So the police are saying she died on February eleventh. The doctor is saying she called on February twelve and that she was supposed to come in later that afternoon and never showed up. But she had called them that morning. So what's it a difference of less than twenty four hours that he's trying to clear up. It's not like she called them a week later. That would be something more substantiactly.
Speaker 2: And also you're saying she didn't have any respiratory symptoms, like you didn't examine her, you didn't listen to her test, You do not know what was going on in her body, and clearly she's dead, Okay. So she was pretty not feeling well. I'll say that, right, we don't know exactly what was going on, but don't try to put out within the public by sight putting this out because you're not proving anything. And in fact, the fact that you're a doctor makes me just think that you sound like an idiot, like you should know all this.
Speaker 1: But did the police just come across this phone record when they were doing their investigation, because there was no mention of an outco and call from her, well, they were.
Speaker 2: Still examining the cell phones, as do you remember they said that they listen, I'm telling you right now, just because I'm in this field and everything, I think that they did a really good job just based on everything that I know so far, and I'm just I'm just kind of annoyed by this. They even said last week when they gave out that she had haunt a virus and he died from the Alzheimer's and the heart disease, they said, the investigation's not closed. They're still looking into the cell phones that were found in the house, and they were still waiting for the dog. That results also came back that that the dog starved to death and was dehydrated, which we knew was going to have happened as predicted, so so they could close that part of it. But they're still looking at the cell phone records. But anyway, it doesn't matter. Like like I said, that, you don't just have haunt a virus in your system, and there was other things seen at autopsy too that would have concurred that. So I just think that this doctor just, you know, all of a sudden, it's like his name's in the news everywhere, and everybody's looking up his business in his name. That's all that's about.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not helping either with all the online saluits that think there's this like grand conspiracy theory that there's something more nefarious going on behind the scenes. It's pretty straightforward, just like it's just it's not necessary information to have out there. It's just a matter of a couple hours of difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so whatever, let's we don't need to talk about this anymore. I got actually annoyed by that doctor. It just pissed me off. Let's talk about this really scary situation that happened with the YouTuber. Yeah, so in Japan, this twenty two year old YouTuber was doing a live stream and then all of a sudden, her viewers heard some screaming before the feed cut off. So it turns out that she had borrowed money from this guy a couple of years ago, and she didn't pay him back, and even though they had been in contact with the police about the money and everything, they just never got it situated. So then when she announced her live stream, he drove I think over sixty miles where she was doing the live stream and then was able to see the landmarks in the back of the video, and so he used that to track her down and then stab terror. Yeah, that's really scary.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We I don't know if we've ever said this on this program, but we've been like this as a social media family that we've been on Instagram now since when twenty and thirteen, a really long time. Yeah, we when we go away, we never ever post pictures or say anything about where we're going until we get back and we're back home in our house from the trip. That's just like, that's number one rule if you go on social media a lot and people are following you, because why would you ever let anybody know where you're at in real time? That's just stupid unless you have, like you know, if you're going to an event or something in their security there. But why would you why would you ever just be like, hey, I'm here right now. You're just asking for trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it happens so frequently other podcasts I listened to, The women on those shows will be like, yeah, my husband's going away this weekend, I'm going to be alone. I'm like, why would you advertise that to the world? Other women that I fall on, it's it's women in particular that do this, and they're at the most risk. I feel, not that men aren't, but I well.
Speaker 2: They don't have a crazy husband stepfather like you do, right, like he would freeze. He's the Yes, he's the one the reason that we're like that because he's constantly thinking about terrible things.
Speaker 1: These women are always on their instagrams being like home alone this weekend of like what are you doing, or posting pictures of the front of their house, or just showing too much personal information showing that they're going out going so and so, so and so hanging out with whoever.
Speaker 2: It's just not smart and for us, it's like it's the same with the housewives. Honestly, like most people are considered low risk because we're not doing anything that's like really pissing people off, like political stuff or whatever. But you know, you can find a lot of stuff already online, so you don't want to invite and give more information than you need to. Anyway, what was the content, Like, what did they figure out if it was one of her followers, Like what what was the relationship between the two. So it said she had met this man in twenty twenty one and she had convinced him to let her borrow some money. So he said he led her two million yen, which is equivalent to thirteen thy five hundred US dollars, and that when she borrowed it, she never returned it. So it seems like they had already been working up with police and everything about the stolen money.
Speaker 1: I guess you could consider the stolen money, So they had already been working that out, and because she didn't return it, it angered him. But where I'm confused is he said he wasn't planning to kill her, But if you're stabbing somebody, in my opinion, you're planning to kill them.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe I don't know maybe his intentions were to scare her, but then she was you know, her reaction maybe triggered him to do it. But it doesn't matter. Really. If you bring a weapon to anywhere and you're pretty a flight, yeah, to a confrontation or for anything, then if you use it, it doesn't matter. I guess he's trying to say, you know, you want to go premeditated or not whatever. I don't know, but that's not gonna work, Bud.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Yeah, I mean, I think the grander message of this entire story is, like, be smart about it. When you buy a house, you don't have to post the picture of the front of your house on Instagram. And you don't have to post a million pictures of your children online and where they go to school and what they're doing, and when your.
Speaker 2: Husband's not home.
Speaker 1: It's okay to keep some things to yourself.
Speaker 2: It's not in this world, okay. So these tornadoes are insane. I've been seeing videos of them all over the place, and when we've drove cross country twice this year and just driving out and seeing how flat it is and nothing around, which is just so opposite of where we live here. It's just to see to just imagine driving down one of these roads and seeing a twister like that would just I think I would just drop dead. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we all know, this is my biggest fear of all time. This was It's quite a biblical event that was going on throughout the country over the weekend. There were I think Fox reported that over ninety tornadoes broke out over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine this? No, but just seeing it, I mean, we and we barely get storms like anywhere, We don't ever get storms to that level. I think we've had a couple, but it it's really scary to be in your house when something's happening outside that you have absolutely no control over. I would think in this area of the country, since it happened so often, that most people would either have at their house or have access to some kind of storm shelters. And but I don't know. I guess people don't because so many people died. Forty two people died so far, at least that's a lot of people. When you when you they were pretty much posting all over the place. I don't know, if you saw the map online that was rotating around, yeah, you saw it right, Well, it's kind of a joke. So there, I think I know the one you're talking. Okay, there was explain it. Let me tell you guys if you haven't seen it. So there was a map of this whole area of the lower part of the country that was I think it was kind of like New Orleans was kind of in the middle of this, and it went up into the Midwest. And it was one of those maps that you know, they show the different colors of probability of you being affected by this tornado, and it just looked like the shape of a penis. And and this map was going around and just kept saying like hard winds are going to ram the country, you know, like stuff like that. It just was it just was really funny. So but yeah, they that was going around all over online that warning there's going to be really high chance of having tornadoes all over this part of the country, and it certainly happened.
Speaker 1: It's just so scary to think about. And there's this crazy coincidence. So one hundred years ago today, March eighteenth, nineteen twenty, there was this event that they called the tri State Tornado. So this massive tornado went through Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. It went for over four hours, It spread across two hundred miles, and they killed nearly seven hundred people. So that was the deadliest tornado in United States history. I'm not sure if it's in world history, but definitely in the United States. But I mean they were kind of when they were talking about this situation, they were discussing how hopefully it would never get to this level again because of all the weather monitoring services we have now and the ability to warn people with cell phones and sirens and everything. But just think it scary that was in nineteen twenty five, being in your house, having absolutely no idea all the storm is coming, and then it leveled out entire towns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean back then you would just hear stories of family members that might have been older that experienced that kind of stuff from by happening. And I'm sure there were books documenting it as well. But you have to think, like I could tell you, over the course of just this year alone, between Gabe going and being deployed to these hurricanes, Remember I was thinking about that. Remember they there was one of the hurricanes that he had went to, and that it could have been Helene, which was terrible for but it wasn't. I don't think it was super terrible for Florida as bad as it was for North Carolina. But there was one of the tornado. Didn't a hurricane occur around the same time too, There were like back to back ones, but one of them that they were just acting was going to be the worst thing ever. And that guy that was the weather castor in the news was crying saying it was going to be so bad, and then it ended up that was the one that was supposed to hit Tampa maybe like whatever was the one that was directly before Helene, Okay, the week before. So all I'm trying to say is that a lot of times, and even this past weekend, they were saying where we lived, that we were supposed to get this tornado warnings and horrible thunderstorms and this and that, and it's like, after a while, people just stop listening. And that's the problem because boy who cried wolf? Yeah, And I know that it's I mean, listen, I don't predict weather for a living, and I'm sure it's difficult because when they talk about all of this stuff, it's it's crazy. And we're getting better and better but all they're doing. You just have to remember is that all they're doing is predicting it, and there's really no repercussions if they're if they're wrong or they're right. But I think that's probably what the thing is like. If you live in that part of the country, you probably get these warnings all the time, and just people are just like, well, what are we just supposed to sit in a hole in the ground that every single time we get one of these, we get them for months on end every year.
Speaker 1: Well, my best friends from Wisconsin, and he's saying that, you know this, this is nothing over there, Like they would just sit in there in their kitchen and act like nothing was happening when there's a twister on the ground not that far from their house, whereas I'm hiding in a closet in my base it when one touches down five miles away from my house.
Speaker 2: I keep seeing these videos and I just think, like, how are these people dis close to this thing with their phone and not freaking out and just hiding somewhere. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's really important to understand the differences with the warnings. So I saw this really good graphic last year. A tornado watch basically means there's the ingredients to make a tornado, if you want to equate it to a cake like this meme did, and then the tornado warning means the cake has been made. And then there's another there's another warning level called a tornado emergency, which means a tornado has formed reporter on the ground and it's a direct threat to human life. So they need to be a little really, get in your base. We're not, but they need to be.
Speaker 2: They just need to use a little bit more because this is where people get screwed up with the two W words warning. What does the difference between a warning and a watch? Like you know what I mean? Like the average person doesn't sit there and see those charts you're talking about. You get it across your phone with an emergency message and you're like, wait, is that the bad one or the good one? That's what everybody says. So they just need to come up with new terminology or something to just make it less confusing for people, especially people who live in the Midwest obviously are probably just way more in tune to this. But for us, when we only get maybe one or two tornado warnings a year. If that, it's like every single person's just like, what does this mean? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean I feel like for us, like I get so scared when they happen because they didn't happen our entire life. I could recall too before the last couple of years that I ever remembered in my whole life.
Speaker 2: Well, you're gonna have to adapt. It's we're in a tornado zone now.
Speaker 1: No, we are, remember too nothing, So Maries Maria goes and hides in a cabby in her house.
Speaker 2: Whenever they say there's gonna be severe weather. We keep joking that we're gonna put like a TV in that little room for her, and like a bean bag chair.
Speaker 1: I just told Louis last night, I won a wallpaper and put a cute little rug.
Speaker 2: In there, and maybe a bean bag like Maria's personal hurricane shelter. Yeah, but watch the house gets sucked right up and you're in like this prime zone of just getting sucked right up into it. Well, everybody makes fun of me, but you guys don't have the warnings quite like my neighborhood does. And once the couple we've had in the last couple of years have touched down not that far from my house, so it's not that far fetched that I want to go in hiding about it. But it's always when I'm home alone too that they have and it is. There has never been a time where I've been where Fricky's been home, where anybody's been over here.
Speaker 1: It's always wan I'm by myself. It's just like really adds to it. Then my phone goes on SOS mode. I'm like, this is really great.
Speaker 2: So you need to get one of those red landline telephones or or something like that that only works in emergencies. I don't know, maybe you can.
Speaker 1: Know where to find me if it happen in the house. All right, what's going on with this?
Speaker 2: Okay? So like let's talk about Saint Patrick's Day because I just don't get it. I just don't. I don't get it, like it can be, I don't care. But I'm not really Irish, so I like, I'm not. Is that why I don't get it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: First of all, genetically you are Irish. I love Irish, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I'm not really because I'm barely listen. I loved it. So yesterday obviously, Saint Patrick's Day is a reason for celebration, like an actual reason, because it's my daughter's birthday. Right, So my dad came over, everybody came over last night. We had dinner and cake and everything, and I was so I was like cleaning the dishes in the other room. But I overheard him say it, and I was so happy to hear him ask Ricky, what exactly are you celebrating? I never understood that my whole life. What are you celebrating? And I was like, thank you, Like this guy gets it. I been saying, like, what's the It's an excuse, it's not a celebration. It's an excuse to go out and get drunk. What are you celebrating?
Speaker 1: You can't argue that about fourth of July? Do you think people are really you're celebrating the birth of America on that day? People there really are not celebrate America.
Speaker 2: Listen, at least you could say that they are, like there's an actual that's the reason that we're having that holiday, Like what is the cell? What is Saint Patrick's Day? And what is the celebration about?
Speaker 1: This is a major glimpse into your of fun suckerness. Because you're you don't you don't engage in normal young people activities. Just let people go out and have fun.
Speaker 2: If they want to say they can't, people could do whatever they want. I just I just want an explanation.
Speaker 1: So just sound like such a Karen about it. Just like, if people want to go out every reason to celebrate, let them listen.
Speaker 2: I brought my kids and one of their friends to the city this weekend, and I don't even understand how I possibly ended up like right in the smack in the middle of both of the old Irish bars.
Speaker 1: Because Philadelphia is an enormous place to celebrate.
Speaker 2: Well, like everybody's walking around drunk in the middle of the day wearing green I just like, Okay, if it's fun, that's fine. I just I just don't get it. So let's talk about what happened to these college students on Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 1: Well, at University of Pittsburgh, a bunch of college kids were celebrating the holiday. Obviously, everybody's drinking. At some point during this party, thirty people pile onto the roof of this front porch and then it suddenly collapses obviously due to the weight on it, and one of the most concerning parts of this for me is the girl that took the video of the roof collapsing is saying, well, everybody did it last year and there wasn't a problem.
Speaker 2: What so exactly so, and guess what, they're all wearing green T shirts. Surprise. This is exactly why. This is one of a few stories that I just this is why I don't want my kids to go away to college. Their brains are just not developed yet. When you see this house, so it's a house, it's just like a regular house, an older house. And they're standing on a porch roof. It's not it's not that it was a specific deck that was made on a second floor for people to stand on. They're standing on the roof of a porch. The roof of a porch is put on so you don't get wet in the rain. There's no structural integrity to that to hold it up, to hold any weight beside shingles and maybe snow. Like, it's not made for thirty human beings that weigh over one hundred pounds to be standing on. That's that's outrageous to me.
Speaker 1: No, And like, I'm not even really concerned about the people who are on the roof getting her. I'm concerned about the people who are underneath of it and under.
Speaker 2: Like, what's happening? Is it because they're all drunk? It has to be right?
Speaker 1: No, I think people are just like really dumb anymore. I from being honest because we have stories a lot of times like this where people are completely sober and doing dumb shit like this.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just a bad combination. And this is why I'm anti sending my kids away to college. So it's like alcohol just makes you dumb, and then the brains aren't formed altogether. It's just a big and then people are just dumb, and then add weed into it. There's just a lot of dumbness going on. So like, I don't want my kids to go away and be in situations like that, because it's alarming that one person would do it, let alone thirty and how many were standing underneath of it. It's just like all of those brains together still couldn't have figured out that that was a bad idea.
Speaker 1: The worst part for me is the university had to send out a memo telling the students not to stand on a roof, and I'm like, are we seriously at this point where we're telling these people that are legally adults not to stand on a roof, I don't know. This episode is brought to you by the Grossroom.
Speaker 2: Guys. We put the Grosser Room on sale only a few times a year, and this is one of them. You could have access to the entire Grosser Room all the way back to twenty nineteen, so there are thousands of posts, videos, and articles high profile debts. This week we covered Ruby Frank and we're covering it again next week because there's so much information. The next story that we have up is a case of mistaken identity, which is super interesting. And of course we stop everything when there's any breaking celebrity news, like we did with Gene Hackman, So we also talk about hypothermia case this week. A weapon This was an actual cool one how they analyzed the bones in in a homicide case to determine what weapon was used and what forensic anthropologists would look for. There a crazy complication of IVY, drug abuse, and more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, head over to the Grossroom dot com to sign up now for only twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh I forgot to add that we had a really good article about penis injections too, so check that out.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we have this other story at a University of Pittsburgh. Again. This is what makes me just not want to send my kids away to college. And I just like, I'm not into the trips with the young kids all together, and the drinking. It's really like the drinking is makes things worse in my opinion. So why don't we talk about this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, please forgive my pronunciation of this girl's name, Sudishka Kunanki. She's twenty years old. She's a junior at University of Pittsburgh. So she went to Puna Kana on spring break with some of her friends and on March sixth, her friend said they all went to the beach together and then she stayed behind with some people she met on the trip. Well, that's the last time they've seen her.
Speaker 2: I feel tired. As soon as I heard about this, I was like, I'm getting Natalie Holloway vibes exactly now, is it? So? So, of course there's a guy involved. Well the story.
Speaker 1: You know, at first, when you hear of a girl on a trip with their friend, of course you think of Natalie Holloway. But there's so many eerily similar details between the two cases. So yeah, there's this guy involved named Joshua, so police have been questioning him. He's allegedly the last person that's seen her alive. So he was saying they were in waste deep water, talking and kissing a little when a big wave came in and swept them away. The hotel is saying that there were red flags out that day indicating that there was really strong current and high waves. So I guess he's claiming that they were swept away in this wave, but he was able to get her back to shore and then he turned around, and then when he turned back to ask her if she was okay, she wasn't there anymore. So he's he thinks that she's just walked up and left. But I'm like, dude, you're on a beach. You would see somebody for half a mile if they were walking away.
Speaker 2: Were they So that I guess my first question is did he come forth? Because I know they found him on surveillance videos, So is that how they found him or he came forth and was like she I was with her that night. I'm just curious.
Speaker 1: I'm exactly sure that detail what I think is really interesting about this case is the police are saying there's no suspects and they're treating it as a missing persons and not necessarily as a homicide. But why did they take his passport away from him? And why are they having police escort him everywhere he goes? So he's an American too, Yeah, so he's a student at University of Minnesota. He's twenty two years old.
Speaker 2: So he so did they find him in Minnesota or was he still on the trip? When he's still there, I don't even think he's allowed to leave the country rangew Okay, So well, I mean, I guess they're keeping him there because he's the only person. So I guess that the theory could be correct because if they're saying that you shouldn't have been out in the water, and they were out in the water, which is possible because people just ignore those signs. I guess what I'm having a hard time with is didn't they find her clothes on the beach or something?
Speaker 1: I did read that they found underclothes on the beach. And I'm definitely not saying he did it. I just think his account of what happened is kind of weird, and maybe he was drinking and he doesn't have good memory of it or something because it was in the middle of the night. I think they said it was around four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just odd that unless he was completely wasted and just wasn't paying attention to really what was happening. Just think in general, like, I mean, whatever they were doing, they were on a date, right, So if you're just on a date for a couple hours and then all of a sudden your date is just like gone, it's just a little weird.
Speaker 1: I don't think they were on a date. I think they were hanging out and then they just started hooking up when everybody lived.
Speaker 2: But still it's a date they were I mean, like, people don't just like leave in the middle of a hangout session. It's just odd.
Speaker 1: So sure, I don't agree with that, but it's yours.
Speaker 2: Just like make out with a guy in the ocean and go back to the beach and turn around, Oh, I guess, I guess we're here Like that. That's weird. I'm not saying it's like, hey, I'm leaving now, like it. You don't just hang up on someone on the phone in the middle of the conversation. It's kind of like.
Speaker 1: That, Sure, if that's what you want to think. Sure, but young people definitely do make out at parties and stuff and just get up and walk away. I think that the added element of them being in the ocean and then being swept up is interesting that, you know, he's saying that they were like, you know, taken down by this wave, and then he said he got her back to shore and then all of a sudden she wasn't there. But I don't know how quickly this goes down. Maybe another wave came in and swept her away really quick. Maybe not.
Speaker 2: I don't really know.
Speaker 1: But this is why this is so similar to the Natalie Halloway case.
Speaker 2: Because did it You're on vander Sleuth. The guy that was he is like accused of being killer.
Speaker 1: By the way, was he ever formally convicted of killing her, because remember they kept arresting him and then they couldn't prove he did it, and then he killed another person later.
Speaker 2: He's definitely in trouble. That was the first time I think he ever got arrested. Is when he is when he or like be not arrested but put in prison for killing the other girl. Yeah, I'm not. I honestly don't know, but I guess. So this is what's odd I guess about this case. So now her parents maybe it's not odd because I'm sure it's for burial or religious purposes or whatever. But her parents are asking the Dominican if they could declare her dead, and I think, and I'm kind of like, well, like why, like why unless it's unless it's, like I said, for religious or burial purposes.
Speaker 1: All I could think is that information that we don't have is the public right now, is that they really believe she accidentally was swept up in the water and died. I mean, I was hearing I think it's I think it's it's it's too early.
Speaker 2: Hasn't it only been like ten days?
Speaker 1: It's been twelve days since she went missing. Also, I was hearing interviews with people that know the Joshua kid, and they all, by all accounts, it seems like he's a pretty good kid that's never been in trouble.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure if he was the guy like a couple of weeks ago that ate his brother's eyeballs, like what that doesn't I don't saying anything. I'm saying.
Speaker 1: More information could come out, but I don't want to just assume he's guilty because he happened to be the last person with her. I mean, they were in the ocean and the waters were rough. It's completely possible that his drunk curR and swept her away. I think his story of it is unusual, but it was the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: He could have been drinking.
Speaker 1: You don't know. I do think it's strange, But I also could understand if you're a grieving parent and there's a large possibility your daughter's not going to be found, Like why keep reliving through it every single day? Like some people just have to do it to move on. But it's a little it's I don't know, it's just it's just a little unusual to me, Like why listen, she's dead. If she comes up alive, I would be shocked, honestly. But weirder things have happened.
Speaker 2: Like this next case, Yes exactly, Like Okay, this shit is outrageous, So let's.
Speaker 1: Start getting into this one. So in Connecticut, emergency workers get a call about a fire at a residential home. So they get there and they find this fifty six year old woman. She's I guess the homeowner. She has gotten to safety, but they find out that her thirty two year old stepson is trapped in the house. So they go in the house and they get him out, and then he confessed that he set the fire himself using computer paper, hand sanitizer, and a lighter because he had been held captive in his bedroom for over twenty years.
Speaker 2: I just can't even believe that this is true. Now her defense attorney is like, no, you have this all wrong. This is she's innocent, and it's just like, yeah, dude, this guy was five foot nine and seventy pounds, a grown man who's been abused by his wicked stepmother since he was starting in fourth grade, it accounts, and he's talking to police and telling them everything that he was, which is this is interesting that he went to school and he was asking people for food and then he started stealing it and picking it out of the trash, and then she found the rappers, and then she would do more punishment on him and stuff, and it got to the point where they she disenrolled him from school, and then the Division of or the Department of Children and Families actually went to the house to see where he was, because I mean, I guess that's the benefit of when children are in public school because they have to be accounted for at that point. So the state's just like, what's going on with this kid. You can't just take a kid out of school in the middle of fourth grade unless you're homeschooling them and you have documentation of that. So they go and investigate, and they were called apparently a couple times, and then finally the stepmom was filed a harassment complaint saying that they had no reason to be going there. And at that point he kind of fell out of the system and just nobody went back and checked every again again. I mean, that's so concerning.
Speaker 1: I see this as a total failure of the system because you know, there was many people, in my opinion, reading this privy to what was going on. They said there was an uncle that was staying at the house and he eventually they told him he couldn't stay there anymore. So you have to think another adult knows about this. What was his father doing about this. His father didn't even die until last January, so this has been going on for twenty years and the father was just letting this happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the weird thing is, though, is that at some point someone had called an investigator, because even that uncle that was staying there was just like, we've been asking about the kid. Then they said that they they had said they hadn't seen him in years. I guess they were implying that he ran away or something. And the uncle was trying to talk to an investigator, and the investigator suggested, maybe you should try to see if you could find a death certificate for the kid. Maybe he ran away and he died or something. And I mean, like that guy was staying there though, and I'm not sure he didn't seem like he knew that the kid was there. That's that's what I'm saying, Like, I don't he he did bring up that I haven't seen the kid, and something's weird here. So, and the kid was locked the kid, he's thirty two years old. He was locked in a room and given two sandwiches a day. I mean, he was he was locked away. So there is a possibility, I guess that a person could be living in a house and nobody would know that the person was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess we just don't really know the layout of the house and where people were allowing them to go, because if you think about it, most of the time, like I mean, I my house isn't set up like this. But if you were to have people over your house for Christmas, for example, like you're not gonna like have people go upstairs like your house guests go upstairs, right, So like if people are visiting the home, they're not going in every single room of your home anyway, so they might just not know what's going on in more private area of the house, like the betroom areas. But I just think this is really concerning because they're saying that there was two half sisters living at the house, so there's other children living there too, but their friends were never allowed to come over in case of this being discovered. And then the kid had a window in his room, but he was scared to death to open it because he didn't one further retaliation, And then the older he got, the more severe the punishment got and the locks got. At first, they were letting him go out of the house a couple hours a day to do chores, and then by the time he was fourteen fifteen, he was only allowed to go out for fifteen minutes at a time, and then I guess at some point he was never allowed to go out.
Speaker 2: So I just don't know how this woman possibly thinks she's getting away with this just based on his appearance alone. Like I said, he was five nine and seventy pounds. I mean, that's that's he was near death's store at that weight, just as it is. His hair was dirty and matted together, his teeth were rotten. I mean, I'm sorry, but how are you going to get away with that and say that you're innocent. There's just no reason that an adult would be living. And she looks like she's got makeup on, even though it's terrible, but like she looks well nourished and like she's got clothes on and her hair's brought you know what I mean. Like it's a clear case of abuse, and it's just terribly sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. This is what her attorney said. Quote, he was not locked in a room, She did not restrain him in any way, She provided food, she provided shelter. Okay, then why would they search the house? Did they find this like plywood and special lock system on his bedroom that clearly he couldn't get out.
Speaker 2: I'm curious when the fire happened, since she got out to safety, if she told the fire department, if there was someone else in there, or they found him when they were searching.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about that too, And I'm wondering. I mean, he clearly was so desperate to get out. He maybe was just like, I don't even care if I die, Like, at least.
Speaker 2: I believe that he actually said that. He was just like, you know what, I'm either gonna get out or I'm gonna die either way.
Speaker 1: Like, so, when his dad died last January, he was able to leave for a little bit, I guess, to grieve his dad. Like, how nice of this lady, right, And then he was wearing an old jacket of his dad's and that's where he found the lighter. Because of course, I was like, how did he even get access to that?
Speaker 2: This is interesting actually too, because so you're saying he was allowed to leave, so he presumably went to some kind of a funeral or something.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think he went to a funeral. I think he was allowed to leave the room.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so he didn't leave the house. Because I was going to say, who the hell saw this guy in this condition and wasn't like, what is happening here? No? No, he was allowed to leave the room. And you know, now he's safe and he's in a hospital, and that's great. But I'm just thinking, like, you're thirty two years old, How in the world is this? How are you ever going to recover from this?
Speaker 1: He's going to have he even though he seems like you know, when I first read about this, I was like, I don't know if maybe he had like some mental disorder on top of being held captive and everything, but how can you not form one after being abused in this type of way for so long? I mean, I have even if he gets healthy and he's in treatment and everything, he's gonna have severe PTSD from this the rest of his life. How is he ever gonna trust anybody? I don't know. If you saw just this morning, NBC reported about his biological mother. So apparently she had given up custody of him when he was a really little kid, and she had been looking for him in recent years and wasn't able to locate him. So that's what's weird to me too.
Speaker 2: It is weird. The whole story is just so weird, and it's just so it's so terrible that people would ever do this to a child and now an adult. I mean, she ruined his life. It's just that simple, and it's it's just so terrible.
Speaker 1: So the stepmom's facing charges of assault, kidnapping, and cruelty. I'm really interested for more details about this case, especially with other children being involved. Obviously the dad had some involvement, of course, because we just wrote about Ruby Frank, I mean, I didn't really cover this in part one necessarily, but there's a lot of similarities to this coming up in this week's part two, where we talk about, you know, her locking her kids in this like bunker and this Jodie woman's house and rubbing Cayenne Pepper in their wounds after she beat them, and starving them and writing these detailed diary entries about how she thought they were possessed by Satan, and it's just really terrible. It really is so all Right, the next case that we're talking about is another terrible case. So I read this article this week and I almost thought that it was a reprint of a story because it's so similar to another story that I believe that we've covered on here at some point on our podcast, and it's it's not it's happened again, and it's almost the same story. Well, I think this has happened a couple of times, and there was an episode there, you know that show I Survived. Yeah, there was an episode about this with a woman that survived an attack like this. So basically, in Brazil, this woman shows up to the hospital with a newborn baby, claiming she just gave birth to it. And then the hospital is getting a little concerned because there's no signs at all that she was pregnant or just gave birth. So they have the police look into this, and they go to her house and as they're searching the house, they find this dead teenager buried in her backyard and more shockingly, she clearly had a baby cut out of her stomach.
Speaker 2: So this sounds familiar to you guys, right, because there was a case back in twenty nineteen in Chicago where it was so wait, we didn't say how how she got the pregnant woman, how she had access to her, No, So basically what happened is this lady was pregnant and she had a miscarriage. She didn't tell her family so they thought she was pregnant. I don't know how you're keeping up that ruse with everybody that you're interacting with daily, but obviously because especially especially because in theory you would be like, at least you don't have to be having sex with them, but at least like naked or getting undressed at some point in front of them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But and do you think I was wondering this too, I'm like, did she have a fake belly? Do you think she kept having sex with him hoping that she would get pregnant again to like self correct this issue. I don't know, But obviously there's a time limit on this because everybody thinks you're pregnant and you have to give birth eventually. So she lures this pregnant teenager to her house saying through Facebook, saying that she has a free baby clothing to give her. And I believe that's how the woman on I Survive got attacked too, was through like a Facebook marketplace ad for free baby clothes.
Speaker 2: So, and that's what happened in the case with Chicago in twenty nineteen. It was an ad on Facebook for free baby clothes, and there was another one that just happened in twenty twenty two with another Facebook ad, except this time the woman was pretending to give the pregnant woman a job opportunity. So fa f book has happened in many of these cases, which is super disturbing, and I feel like, I mean, it's involved with lots of homicide. So you really should just never be meeting strangers on the internet. That's just like a given rule of life in general. But did you know that the number one manner of death in pregnant women is homicide. It's not actually a natural cause of death or an accidental cause of death is homicide. Yeah, so there's just something about pregnant ladies that people want to kill them. It is really terrifying actually, But yeah, so this lady shows up to the hospital. Now, if you go to the hospital and say I just had a big with a brand new baby, and you go there and say I just gave birth to this kid in my car, they're gonna want to examine you because they're gonna want to make sure that the placenta came out and then make sure it all came out because if it didn't, it could cause bleeding and it can cause infection. Serious complications. They just want to make sure you're not bleeding more than normal and they check you. So they do an examine this lady and like, duh, imagine giving birth to a huge baby, this was a term baby. Your your your vadge would look like there was like a little bit of trauma there, don't you think? So you're yeah, your vaginal canal would be stretched, your cervix would still be dilated, your uterus wouldn't even be done being contracted all the way down, And they just were like, yeah, no, like this didn't happen. And they they actually called police from the hospital and were like something's up here. And it's just so disturbing that you would you would kill a human and take that that person away from their mother, like that baby away from their mother. It's just so gross.
Speaker 1: But like why, you know, why would you also not tell your family you had a miscarriage and then go to these steps like what is going on with this person?
Speaker 2: Maybe she thought a baby was gonna save her marriage and he would be disappointed. I mean, like people get weird about stuff like that. Honestly, Like I don't think I just think that that's not super unusual that a husband might be disappointed or that's just that's life and that happens, especially in certain cultures, that definitely happens. It's more like, okay, well, like the rest of the world just has to have deal with the disappointment or whatever, because you can't hide that. And really having a miscarriage is it's super upsetting and you want to have support there and everything. I can't even imagine going through something like that, not only for the physical part of it, but just the mental part of it. Going through something like that and not telling anybody about it. She was probably just embarrassed for whatever reason, and it went from there. I just don't know what people are thinking that they could actually get away with this. It's just so it's so odd and nobody would question where the where the dead pregnant girl was, Like come on, it's just it's just outrageous.
Speaker 1: Well, you have to quit the husband's involvement too, because you're like, seriously, you didn't realize your wife wasn't pregnant for six months and like her belly wasn't getting bigger, and like again, like you're saying it, I'm sure ninety nine percent of married people get naked in front of each other besides having sex, So like, it's just really odd to me he didn't.
Speaker 2: I would make it in front of one of my family members every single day, whether it's getting out of the shower or whatever. Like it's just when you live in a house, Like I feel like it just happens.
Speaker 1: Well, Furthermore, they're saying that she buried this girl in a shallow grave, So like, would the husband have not eventually come across the whole dead body buried in his backyard?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just think it's really lot of disturbing stories this week, especially like this one.
Speaker 1: This next case also involves Facebook.
Speaker 2: It's it's Facebook is just like a cesspool of crime.
Speaker 1: No, it really is. I mean you have to think like people. This new tool comes about like twenty twenty five years years ago. Right of course people use it for evil. It's what everybody's arguing about AI. It's cool to go on AI and Google, like make a picture of blah blah blah, right and have something funny to make fun of. Remember when I was putting my face on all those different years, so like make me look like a Victorian woman. Whatever, But somebody will use it for evil eventually anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, they already are. They're putting like children's pictures on porn and stuff. It's fucking terrible.
Speaker 1: Uh all right, So last year, these two dogs have been taken to a shelter after their owner died from natural causes, but they ended up eating the owner before the person was discovered. So at the shelter, the dogs throw up this guy's toes and other remains. So then this woman, Joanna, goes into work at the shelter, finds the toes in a bin and thinks it's a good idea to bring the toes home, throw them in some formal dyde and try to sell them on Facebook. Like what you know what?
Speaker 2: I was just thinking, actually, and I really hope we could talk to somebody about this. Do you think face this book has a whole entire division that they deal with this particular stuff like crimes that happen because they they definitely get reported to them and they have police contact them, FBI contact them all the time to look into certain people. I'm just like really curious of that aspect of Facebook.
Speaker 1: Well, it's my understanding that things like this are delegated to the FBI because they're online. So I would think the question is is does the FDI. Does the FBI have a division specifically for Facebook.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sure they do. I'm sure they have a whole entire social media like a division of multiple people. I actually could find that out because I know somebody that works there. But anyway, so I'll get back to you guys on that. But so, she she's in some active member Facebook group where specimens are bought and sold, and she heard that she could get up to two hundred and fifty dollars if she sold these two. Oh, so that's why she decided to do it. Are there like pictures of these posts that she made on Facebook? By any chance, I'll have to do a deep dive for them. We need to find that, because I mean, listen, I never like this is very interesting that this story came up today because I never even thought about this, like this happens. This just happened with Gene Hackman, for example, like him and his wife died at the house, and they brought the dogs that survived somewhere somebody as the dogs. And I brought this up last week that I was curious as to how the dogs were eating this entire time that nobody was feeding them, so that information has never been released. This is just something I'm assuming, but just the many times that we know that, you know, pets eat their owners when they die. I'm really really curious to see what happens when these pets go to a vet office. If any of you work in a vet office, like I would just never would think that they might throw up and have human body parts in it. It's just very disturbing. But it seems like the woman wasn't working at there at the time, and maybe one of her co workers told her about it, and they it seems like she took them out of the trash and then put them in from aldehyde and brought them home like it's just okay, Like that's how you want to make two hundred and fifty dollars. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess my question is how do you think you're not getting in trouble for that? Also, I was really curious how a group that's dedicated to selling and buying specimens is not prohibited on Facebook. But I guess that taxidermy sales are legal, correct, so like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and certain certain things are. It depends too, because she was in Australia. Right, Yeah, so certain countries have different laws. I mean, you're not allowed to buy every single animal that's taxidermied either some of them are illegal, other times some of them are considered like exempt because they're front. They're maybe an old specimen, like a really really like an animal that maybe wasn't considered endangered in the past, or even one that might have been. But the taxi Army was done in the twenties, so it's you know, like stuff like that. There's like all these rules which I don't know what they are, but I mean, and I don't know how Facebook monitors things like that because the rules change state to state, country to country, and if it's a group that has members from all over the world in it, I don't really know how they monitor that. But I'm pretty sure that we know they're not monitoring a lot. I think that they created this and they just, you know, we say this all the time. They just create these things and think of all the great and they don't think about all the bad, and then all the bad starts happening and they just can't stay on top of it. They don't know how to stay on top of it.
Speaker 1: Like people going on live streams and cutting off other people's heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just all of that stuff. So, I mean, and it's like someone just got We said that the person got murdered on. Was that on TikTok or YouTube? The one we talked about earlier today was YouTube?
Speaker 1: Right, that was YouTube?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and there's going to be a certain level.
Speaker 1: Of I don't know it was a YouTuber, but she.
Speaker 2: Was live streaming. I guess we don't know where she was live streaming. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that because if she had a popular YouTube, she would be her title would be a YouTuber, but she could have been theory been live streaming on another so she had a platform.
Speaker 2: But regardless, like it's just I mean, how do you prevent all of it? So anyway, this lady's getting in trouble. She's facing up to two years in prison.
Speaker 1: She was facing up to two years in prison, but she made a plea deal, so she ended up getting sentenced with eighteen month non custodial sentence, which includes one hundred and fifty hours of community service. So I yeah, could I guess I don't think she should go to jail for it. Yeah, she didn't.
Speaker 2: It's it's gross. I mean, if they were throwing them in the trash whatever, it's gross. But what's really gross is this next story is freaking gross. No, this is horrible.
Speaker 1: Last month in China, these two seventeen year olds were eating at a popular hot pot chain. So they're eating in this private dining room and they decide to make videos of them peeing in the hot pot and then they post it online and it goes viral. So of course people are freaking out.
Speaker 2: That have eaten at this restaurant. So listen, like in the grand scheme of things, I think we've talked about this before because unfortunately people pee in people's food and we have to talk about it. Urine is just the like the least inert I guess you would say of body fluids. It's not like you're drinking someone's blood, which could really expose you to bloodborne pathogens. Urine carries some stuff, but it's not it's it's not terrible. It's just more like it's just really the thought of it is just really gross. You could get certain like typhoid or something, but like in an average person, you're in a sterile inside the body and then it comes out and it and it hits your skin and it gets bacteria on it, and you I guess in theory you could get stick from some of that bacteria, but it's like not very likely for it to happen. But it's just freaking disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it is really gross, and it seeming like the bigger problem with this story is that people alerted the restaurant, but they weren't taking the claim seriously, and then we're trying to allege that people were trying to hurt their reputation, and then by the time they finally took it seriously, that it was this greater issue. So they've offered a reason that they.
Speaker 2: Only take it seriously when they saw the viral video.
Speaker 1: But I think people were reporting it beforehand, so why aren't they taking it seriously?
Speaker 2: This is this is like a pretty big deal chain and there's even a couple hero I heart I think I've read. So now they're going to compensate all of these forty one hundred orders between the dates where they think that this happened with a full refund plus ten times that amount of money. So they're like scared shitless that this is going to affect their business because that's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Well, I was wondering if because they were blowing it off at first, they had to really go hard on the refunds and giving extra because of how serious this is and how gross it is, and because they weren't taking it seriously, and then they were like, we have to do everything in our power to make it right. Yeah, Because I'm like, if they just at first were like, oh my god, we're so sorry, we're definitely going to refund people from these days, blah blah blah, they might not have had to take the extra step to make it right. But you can't act like people are just trying to hurt your reputation when there's like video of people pissing in the pot pots at your restaurant.
Speaker 2: All right, speaking of this, this is definitely the grossest video of the week.
Speaker 1: So this woman's in the Bronx. She's walking down the street and she sees this man take a dead rat off of the street and just start eating it.
Speaker 2: You watch this video and you just can't believe it. So to me, the grossest part because people eat rats. It's I know it's gross in America, but people in different cultures eat rats. It's just the way it is. It's really not any grosser than eating any kind of animal, except in New York City rat it's just extra gross because they're in the city and they're just eating whatever off of the ground, and they just seem the grosser than the average animal. Right, You're not really supposed to ever eat raw meat. It's never really considered safe, so if you cook it, then it kills off all of the bacteria and viruses that you could possibly and parasites that you could possibly get. Let's talk about gene Hackman, right and the haunt of virus. Now, it hasn't been found in New York City, so we don't have to worry about that, but in theory, you could get hantavirus for eating a rodent like that raw and uncooked, because you'll be eating their fecal matter, which is how you contract that virus like salmonella leptosporiasis. Like this is really really bad.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it seems like this person was having some mental health issues because why would you just pick up a dead rat and eat it like that? And it seems like in this video he's like giving it a mini dissection in his hands first, and then when he pulls up to his mouth and takes the bite, I'm thinking, in my mind, he's just like biting the fur, right. No, there's like this gross white string of organ that comes between his mouth and the rats. So discussing he.
Speaker 2: Could totally be out of his mind, which is possible, but like it's the same as a conversation that we had about the guy that was catching the pigeon in the bag in New York City as well, Like people are coming from other cultures and maybe they eat that wherever he's from. I don't know. It's nasty, but whatever, Like it's it's who cares what the dude eat if she wants to eat it, Like it's not hurting you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're saying the New York City officials are trying to like locate him and try.
Speaker 2: To get him help you, I mean, like listen, like he's probably gonna get sick with something, but like whatever, so like that that's just whatever. How's that going to hurt other? I don't know whatever.
Speaker 1: Like you're saying, though, some people eat rats and other cultures, but typically they are cooked, so I think it's pretty unusual. To just pick up a dead rodent off of the ground and then start snacking on it. But let's move on to questions of the day. Every Friday at the app Mother knows that Instagram account, You guys could head over to our story and ask us whatever you want. First, would mass casualties after wars call for autopsies on each deceased person?
Speaker 2: I would say No. There might be circumstances where there's there's an attack or something on a building and they weren't sure if it was friendly fire or not, so they might do some investigation to see if they could figure out what caused that in a very smaller group of people. But to do mass casualty events, no, all right.
Speaker 1: Two, can you see changes on the brain of someone with severe mental health disorders?
Speaker 2: So if the person was having depression or something before death, and let's say you did the autopsy and it turns out, oh, they had a brain tumor or something, then yes, you would see that. If you would see Parkinson's, which and these types of disease could have they could have an effect on mental health, Alzheimer's and things like that. So you could see things like that. But as far as just straightforward like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression. You can't see that, and you can't even see it under the microscope. In fact, there's not even imaging really that could show that stuff. So yeah, unfortunately it's a chemical thing that's going on or a structural thing that they just can't identify under the microscope as of yet.
Speaker 1: All Right, last favorite cult classic movies.
Speaker 2: So I had to look up what was considered a cult classic because one of the first things that popped in my brain was like Killer Clowns from Outer Space or some crazy movie like that, which I love that movie, by the way, But then when I looked it up, it's every single movie. There's list of one hundred movies, and I'm like, oh, I've seen all these movies and they're great.
Speaker 1: So well, I think it's defined as like a movie that has a niche following but wasn't like you would want to think about Tim Burton movies, right, Like, it's a very niche following, but they don't count because they were like box office hits. So it's these weird, obscure, obscure movies that have niche followings but were not initially hit. So like when I'm thinking of it. I'm thinking of like Malret, Princess Bride, Napoleon Dynamite, like weird artsy movies, you know. Yeah, And I love all those movies, and probably like Hairspray. Yeah, i'd say hairs like that, the original Hairspray, I think, yeah, ye, where Harrishbray was a pretty big box office hit. I would say the most popular now is probably like Big Lebowski, right for us, probably like Rome and Michelle, but things like that.
Speaker 2: I love Rome and Michelle, and the new one's coming out, you know.
Speaker 1: I listen, that's cool and everything, but I think they should just stop touching things that are perfect.
Speaker 2: Wait did you see that a trailer came out for the new Freaky Friday? No? I didn't it, did it does? It's like, e of course it's.
Speaker 1: Because these movies are I don't know if people that listen would consider Freaky Friday to be great per se, but in our household it was pretty big. So I love that movie.
Speaker 2: I must. They were saying that that Mean Girls is a cult classic, and I'm like, what this is what? I'm kind of confused because a lot of the movies on there, Like I wrote some down on like kill Bill, which I love. I love like any Tarantino movie, so but I don't know, like I saw it at the movie theater, just I don't I don't consider a cult classic, but I guess it is. Like That's why I think like Killer Clowns from Outer Space is an example, because it's like a low budget, like weird A lot of people haven't heard of it. But then you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: When I think of these movies, I think of what you're saying, like low budget, but they're like artsy and they're weird, right, They're not like the you know what's like a big movie. They're not like Barbie Last Year Oppenheimer, like these movies that are designed to be this giant box office.
Speaker 2: But like so many movies are like that that we watch. But they even had like sixteen candles and stuff on the list, and I'm like, I don't want to put that in that category to me, But maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with you. I think that it's up to interpretation. But I think for me, it's like I love The Big Lebowski. I think that's one of the bigger ones. If you're gonna go with, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That one's great.
Speaker 1: I think Princess Brian's pretty big too, though, Like, but was it a huge hit when it first came out. It is such a weird movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I just love I love movies like that. I mean because I like, I really love watching a movie that just has a like a more original idea that hasn't been done before, which is kind of impossible anymore. Yeah, I mean I haven't seen I don't know, Like I'm not a movie connoisseur, but like I don't need to be. I'm a consumer, and like shit's been lame, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, movies definitely have not been as good the last couple of years, but hopefully they'll be on a path to getting better.
Speaker 2: I think show I read an article the other day that they're just never gonna get better and they were blaming it on COVID a lot, but which, well, listen, I understand that that that's totally a thing, but like I'm just over all of these actors and they're just so self important and like, I don't know, I just I like, back in the day, I think there was so much mystery to famous people that you were just intrigued by their glamorous lifestyle and you didn't really know them as a person but more as an actor. And now all these people talk and you're just like, eh, could you just like there's certain people that I used to love that now I'm like, like, I don't ever want to watch her movie again. You suck so bad, you know?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, definitely, So it's not helping them, I think though. Another thing they consider is that TV shows used to just be like the sitcoms we used to watch and stuff like that, right, and now TV shows have taken on this new cinematic element to them, and I think that's taking away from movies, because why make a two hour movie when you could make a limited series with eight episodes and tell the story in a longer form over eight episodes and have it be more compelling, you know? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I think so like when like a lot of times, you see a movie and you love it so much and then there's never any more it. It's just like that's it, and you never get a sequel and there's never anything else again. And and this too, Like that makes sense that you're saying that reactually because people could just be at like home and their pajamas watching it all the time, and there it's just a sad because the movies used to be so glamorous, but they never really were when I was a kid. But it was packed when I was a kid, though, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think just with shows and stuff, because like I'm I'm watching Severance right now, and I'm just thinking, like, you could never make that type of story into a two hour movie. It just would not cut, like cut the same way, you know, Like some of these shows that I think are some of these movies maybe that are in the process of getting made. I think people realize they'll do bet better as a series as far as storytelling, and you're gonna make so much more money because you're gonna have way more ads to put in, Like you're saying you can have a couple of year run instead of a one off. So I think that's more about why they're being affected so much.
Speaker 2: It's a bummer because I look, I do look every single weekend and think like, maybe we can go to the movies. And really, the best time when we were going to the movies all the time was during COVID because nothing was coming out and they were playing old movies and they were only charging five dollars a person. Like I took the kids, what did I take them to see recently? I don't even remember what it was. I took them to see, like the four of them, them and their friends or whatever to go see the movie. And it's just like it costs eighty some dollars and that was just for the tickets, Like, like, who wants to who wants to do that?
Speaker 1: I do because I want the popcorn and the cherry coke. But but when you but it's because it's you, or maybe you and Ricky, but when you start like having kids and then you have to buy it for multiple people. It's nice once in a while, but that's that's not something you can do once a week or a couple times a week.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot of money. Yeah, you can watch it for whatever at home. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Ricky actually hates the movies, which really bums me out. I've gone by myself a couple of times, so I'm like, I just have the afternoon to do nothing, and I really want popcorn and coke and I want to watch a movie in silence. All right, Well, thank you guys so much. Please leave us a five star written review on Apple and if you have a story for us, please submit it to stories at Mothernosdeath dot com or send us a message on Instagram say yeah, thank.
Speaker 2: You for listening to Mother nos Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor and I have not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to ed educate, and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thanks