Speaker 1: R and B Money, Honey, we are.
Speaker 2: Thanks take MELOCHI.
Speaker 1: We are the authority on all things R and B ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: My name is tam Day Balenti.
Speaker 1: This is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority they know, they know on all things.
Speaker 3: All things, all thing. Yeah, R and B. Yeah, don't get caught up.
Speaker 1: Stop telling me you right here records, Yeah, yeah, stop being me.
Speaker 3: They're telling me you right hit records.
Speaker 4: Hello, they're right here.
Speaker 5: Records every day every day because every day is what what your birthday?
Speaker 3: I want to write it happy birthday himself.
Speaker 1: You ain't ever gonna have the song stolen from you at twelve on a million copies.
Speaker 3: That happy birthday.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm yelling.
Speaker 3: I love it. Thanks having me, man, Thanks for having me. You do this ship? Was that your year? That's not yeah, that's having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, bro, like you know, our pod is is a flower pod to give you the flowers.
Speaker 2: You so right. I don't know if we have enough flowers in here.
Speaker 5: Already said we didn't have enough room on we didn't have enough he said, what are those?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: It's so much information and so much great musical conversation that hopefully we can get to some of it. We ain't gonna be able to get to most of it because we would be here for a few days.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we do a part two. Maybe that could be the first part to what we should do is.
Speaker 2: We should do this.
Speaker 5: As hard as it was to get him to come on this podcast, he don't do this ship he like he already said.
Speaker 3: But this is special. I think what you guys are doing, it's such a magical environment. I think it's it's just think it's very important, it's very needed, and it's something that's been missing, you know, for a while. So I applaud you.
Speaker 1: Guys, Thank you, thank you. I think we I think we do this. And then I think the other piece of information is if you haven't even done it yet, is people need to really see you at work.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: The idea behind like like.
Speaker 1: Like like what Jason Joshua Joshua does when people actually sit and get to watch him.
Speaker 3: In action action. Yeah, I would love that because that's yeah, that's the magic. That's the magic that's different, and that is exactly what you are. Brother. Oh thank you man, I'm saying that. Thank you.
Speaker 2: So let's get let's let's get into you know.
Speaker 5: R the way you were able to invess something, which it starts with Yes, listen, I want to go back to the beginning, because what you the story of you rapping a song at twelve?
Speaker 2: Yeah, having it, having the lyrics word for word, bar for bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they borrowed them. Did you ever get the Soldier.
Speaker 2: And go platinum with it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, man, I was. I was twelve in a group and it.
Speaker 2: Was a group.
Speaker 3: It was hilarious, t w C together, we chill, it was absolutely. We had a song too with the hook with that hood. No, it was embarrassing. You know why we embraced it as kids because Red from ABC came up with it and I'm like, a b see, tw was like, okay, there's some letters. We got our own letters, not thinking I'm like letter, I'm like, this is corny as shite, But in the moment, it was the dude from ABC giving us a letter and cracking it was pop. Yeah, I'm like it was eight years old to twelve on solcial Train Performance. So I was inspired. But you know, at that time, Chris Cross came out dissing them with Jump Jump on everybody. That was a direct disc that was a battle wrap for kids. In what was that nineteen ninety three, ninety two, I was twelve years old. Read was thirteen, and Read was my manager. Strange enough, yeah, thirteen yearner. I had a thirteen year od manager and I was twelve.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, it's called big business, yeah man, because I'm forty eight, yeah and your forty five.
Speaker 2: You forty five. So when I was young, your.
Speaker 3: Like, listen to me. I know, I've been through the ropes. I've been doing this shit half my life. Yeah, yeah, yeah man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and I actually, you know, I mean, I wrote a rap that was dissing Criss Cross and because he was that's my homies. So I'm like, yeah, just dissed them. And don't think you know what I'm saying because they don't really. They were like yeah songs, I ea shared the playground, like they weren't built for that. So I wrote a rap, you know, dissing them, and I wrapped it through Red and he was like, man, do it again. He kept throughout the day, kept saying me, like, have me recite this rhyme? Then Red disappears, ABC disappears for six months, like man, that was my manager. Now he's just not even answering my calls. And then I go to seventh grade and my friend Kevin is like, hey, man, remember that rap you recited to me. He's like, I think it's on this album that Michael Bivens put out on the Big ten compilation All for One, One for All. That was the first single off for It was like, oh for One and one for All. I don't know if you guys remember that. And he had the Boys, de Men, ABC, BBD, the East Coast fam So that was the whole compilation. I listened to it on a cassette player in Holmes home room in the seventh grade and I hear it come on boom boom, check us like a boot tick Tactoe, Chris cross him out the box, happy jumping, not just so. And I'm like, and I was so confused because I was so happy. Yeah, but I was sad because I'm like, wait, let me open up the credits. And then I looked at the credits and understood credits. I understood credits. Well, yeah, I understood what the credits were because you know, as I was making music, man, I sucked at it, but I was making it enough to know that the people in the credits were the ones that were behind the you know, the magic. So I went to read the credits, I'm looking for my name, and I'm like, well, where's Red's name? And then I didn't get credit. Read didn't credit. The manager of the group at the time, not gonna put nobody out there. But they got the credit, they got the publishing for it, and that was like the first time actually had something like a copyright storming from me. I just happened to be twelve years old. It was a young lesson. Yeah, I was in the seventh grade in the middle of College Park. Did you have any.
Speaker 5: Any ideas of like, I gotta get to somebody to tell them that's my song.
Speaker 3: I I didn't even think about that because I just was said I was twelve, man, I had no They were my connection to the industry. It was Red, you know, so outside of Red and in Row Row, those are the only two people I knew the industry. Yeah, so when they disappeared, I didn't have any I had no other way. So I didn't even think to like, like, how could I even try to fight to get credit. I was just happy and hurt at the same time. It was like the Yen and the Yang, and I was like excited but disappointed. You know, It's like, man, this is my like this is I can hear it, but it's not. It's nobody gonna know, So you know, I kept that. I kept that story secret awhile because I was more embarrassed by at a younger age than I was like using it to show people that, like, hey, man, you could get ripped off at a young age. There's no there's no age limit on get ripped off. So but I didn't. I didn't tell anybody for a while, man, And then I started thinking it was it was cool to just be a voice for people who get ripped off at a young age and be like, hey, you're not the only one. You know what I'm saying, and you learn from those things you learn had I learned at a young age, like publishing is something I didn't even know what it was, and I'm like, this is something serious. And then it took my cousin, Courtney Bear. I don't know if you guys know Big Big Bear who discovered one twelve and Jagged Edge at one talent show. My cousin how I got into the music business. My cousin Courtney Bear seals he's working. He works with Killing Mike right now. He discovered at one talent show Tri Cities High School one twelve and Jacket Edge. One twelve's name used to be called Forte. It was the name of him, and then Jagged Edge. I forget what the name was, but it wasn't jagged Ash. Then he went on and introduced one twelve to Puff Daddy, and Puffed Daddy gave him the name one twelve and Jagged Ash went on to Social Death for Jamaina prix Man. He went and managed one twelve, moved to New York. They came out the first album sold the million records. Cupid only you big success. Yeah, came back and was like poop be you know you can make money writing songs. I'm like wow. He was like, I'm gonna put you in with the guys, gonna see if you have a chemistry with any synergy with with Doran and see how it goes. Maybe he'll work with you. So he takes me over, drops me over. Durn Jones shout out to durran Q was there, you know, quinn Is Parker and we created the song Anywhere. Duran had already started it and already was working on it, and I just came and added to the record Anywhere and that was my first hit.
Speaker 2: Anywhere is your first hit?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah man, yeah I was in high school. I was in the eleventh grade. Yeah yeah. And mind you when that came out, it didn't sound like anything like, it didn't sound like anything, so might be what it was. What sample is that it's interpolation original? That was Iran Duran didn't sample nothing. The only thing that you're talking about the replay was a wicked wicked, wicked. It's over now, it's ober now. That was Mob Deep. Wiga wiga wigga wiggle wiggle. That's the only got Anywhere was straight original. Yeah no, no, no, Barn Barron. But the one they did rip was the that Mob Deep. Remember that It's over now? Yeah? Yeah man, yeah yeah yeah, he too hot to stop. Yeah man, that's your question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I can backtrack for a second, Okay, did you hearing your rap, your lyrics on on that ABC song, did that give you an indicator that you could really do this ship or or did it take you just a little while longer after that before you even settled into the idea of being able to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I really that never really registered what happened then that it was like, Wow, I did something that came out that was good enough to come out and and generate a mile. Yeah I wasn't. I didn't put two and two together then, but it did do something to myself. Was staying this a little bit to where it was like, well, it must have been cool if they stole it. It must have been good enough for them to steal. So that did something. It gave me inspiration to be in a group.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I started a group called Young Harmony. I was My name was Harmony. My friend's name was Young because I used to harmonize. I couldn't sing really, but I had a great year and we went on. We signed our first deal like a few months after that happened. I was still twelve years old. I signed my first record deal with a label called Jungle Jes Records. And our friend tell you what our advance was. We got paid in advance. We got an advance though, let me tell you what it was. It was a Genie suit. I got a green one and then my homie got a yellow one. We looked like a sprit commercial. Yeah, it look like the Sprite.
Speaker 2: Coming because I've had actual jungle.
Speaker 3: Actual see I thought in the car.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, you're talking.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the jungle Jungle. I got you got okay? Yeah? Yeah, many yeah yeah yeah, the Jungle day Yeah, Jungle Juice yeah yeah, love.
Speaker 2: You man, don't Yeah.
Speaker 3: How old were you were?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: Were you? Okay? It was okay. I would say that's child abuse. But if you're in the abuse, you get a gee suit for an advance as your and our manager took the whatever money it was that we were supposed to, so it was some money. It probably was a little bit of money. But he brought us Jeanie suits and and kept the difference, kept the difference and then ended up and then he ran off. He ran off this beard and all this is said. Twelve I was twelve, yeah, man, And so we had a single out man because She's turning Me on. That was my first single, and we had an album released party, a single release party on there Forget That and through Jungle Juice Records, and so it was it was an independent label. Yeah. The guy, the owner's name was Michael Jackson, same as yeah, Michael Jackson, and he used to lock us in the studio and I never forget that, and I didn't realize that that was a fire hazard till I got older.
Speaker 4: I'm like, wait, boy, I thought you were just using the term us.
Speaker 3: He would work outside the door of the studio and lock us in from the outside so we couldn't get out. So it was me on the little last Yeah, I guess that will follow under the FILD spectrum. I had the little leases with the little the a AD. So I was engineering, I was making I had an SB twelve hundred and I was making beats, I was writing songs, I was doing choreography, I was doing everything, you know what I mean. And he would come back in the sun to be down let us out. And then I had the My mom always let me go. She was like, no matter what, you got to go to school. I don't care if you worked till four in the morning. She was like, you just got to go to school. So my mom always let me. She used to drop us off at the studio, me and my singing with my group, and she's just like, look, you just gotta go to school. I don't care. You can stay all night, but by five o'clock you need to be coming home, taking a shower and getting ready to go to school at seven thirty. And so wow, yeah, so she let me do that. I support my mom, you know, thank my mom for supporting me and dropping us off. She was like our uber back before uber, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: And she believed and she really was just a positive like she just always told me I could do anything and be anything I wanted to be. And I always told my mom. I was like, and my grandma, I was like, man, I'm gonna move us out of the hood, you know what I'm saying. And my grandma was so at that age like bless your heart, like you don't understand that black people don't move out of the hood, you know what I'm saying. But you could tell like energy never seen light and buts she used to see me. Man. So I grew up. My dad left when I was seven and a half eight. He left two weeks later. It was a tornado, like the only tornado in Connecticut history. And new Haven is like, you know, still one of the poor. So you're originally from originally from New Haven, Connecticut, one of the poorer cities in America, and the tornado came to up our apartment and then we were homeless. So me and my mom and my brother were homeless from I was homeless from like age eight until ten. So we slept everywhere, you know what I mean. We slept wherever we could sleep, and we ate when we could eat. And the church did an offering one day and they gave my mom like four thousand dollars. I'll never forget that. And then we moved to Atlanta and started over there, but we still, you know, were struggling there and we ended up living with my grandmother and it was like eight of us in a two bedroom apartment. So I slept on the floor till I I probably slept on the floor till I was about sixteen. I got I was when I started I started to flo You were sixteen, Yeah, man, I started making my first like after anywhere. I started getting a little ass cap checks and I need so what what ages? I was seventh sixteen, and then it came out when I was seven. I did it with dorm I was sixteen. Came out when I was seventeen going seventeen, and then it went in from like ninety seven to ninety eight. We can do it anywhere. It was out. And then I also worked with Pink when she was Burgundy. She was making R and B music, So I don't call her pink. She was black, she was Burgundy. Can't she was pink? Yeah, her next album she went pink. You know what I'm saying. I worked with I got the Burgundy Pink, but those were you know. I told my mom and my grandmother. Then I was like, I'm gonna move us out of here. And I never forget, like, get my first little ask cap check. I didn't have a bank account. I went to the check cashing place and they take four percent out. I never forget that. I was like, went in there with a check and came out with money, and I was like, wow, you care about before? Yep, it was about four thousand, seven hundred dollars. I bought a cell phone. I never forget that that first thing. My first purchase was a cell phone. And then I bought a bed. I was like, my first time. And then I started renting a room from my cousin because I didn't want to sleep on the floor in the two bedroom apartment with my It was like it was eight of us, so ended up renting the room from Bear, who discovered once twelve. And then I got my first I bought my first bag and I was like sixteen seventeen seventeen.
Speaker 5: So I had anybody in a position to move you forward, had anybody identified it as far as like I'm invest in.
Speaker 3: Him or not? Well you ever had changed up? It was like it was always like drug dealers, man, Thank god for the drug.
Speaker 4: Shout out to the dope boys. Listen, we all come from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because they was our first investors. Absolutely, you know what I'm saying. They was the first hedge fund dope the dope community with the first venture capitalist. Yes, but yeah they got for that. And then yeah, what happened was, I don't know, you guys know KP come on, pray this. He gave me my first record deal in a group I was in called Friction, and we signed on the Face Records in nineteen ninety seven, nineteen ninety six. Actually, so even with that, our then manager ran off with our advents. He took our advents. It's the second time.
Speaker 4: You're you're still not eighteen years old, still was still a high school.
Speaker 3: I'm still a high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't fully understand what comes along with the business.
Speaker 3: Nah, I didn't even know what. I didn't eve know what publishing was.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: My cousin was like, you could make money. I'm like how he was like, you write songs and you get publishing, And I'm like, are.
Speaker 4: They showing you these contracts?
Speaker 3: Are they showing your mother these contracts? No? No, no no. So it was no contract, well my record contract. No. I was just and it's so crazy how how it works. Man. Like when I was signed as a as a twelve year old, the person who signed us, he signed us under a management deal and a production deal. You remember those days, right, But they tried to but I didn't know. In my production contract he was taking fifty percent of my publishing, and in my management contract he was taking the other fifty percent of my publishing. So I didn't have I didn't have one hundred percent. I didn't even own. I didn't even know what publishing was, and I didn't own it. But the way God works is like my contract ran out with both of those when I turned sixteen. So the second I actually had my first placement on my publishing and I didn't even know what it was. But he was trying to get us to re sign, and then this other this dope. It was like, nah, man, he got your publishing and don't resign. Then we ended up signing with my family with BMF Man. BMF was like the first you know they gave me, you know, say, they gave us a record deal. They paid us in cash. That's my family. Yeah, Bro, I turned nineteen. DMF Man me, I was there. Yeah, and me. She used to always tell me like, look, we all going to jail except for you. He was like, he's like, look I should have got He told us for years bro him Pops like Pops he did fourteen year he did a bid for for beingf you know. So it was like, when we go to jail, I need you to help turn my story into a movie. So he gave me so Meach gave me his life rights, you know what I'm saying. And I went I had no clue. He was like, you already in the music business. And at that time I had did Peaches and Cream danced with me. So they were looking at me like you already in the energy over them, like they were just like you know, oh well, I was eighteen. That was like cracking. Yeah, but he was like, Yo, we're going to jail. You're gonna be the one to bring this project and make people understand, you know, our lifestyle and taken see it. And I'm like, I don't know anybody in the in the film or movie industry. He was like, You're gonna figure it out. And I remember like just taking meetings with people and I'm like, yeah, I got meet his life rights. And then I met with James the Bows. I don't know if you got rember, so I thought him and he was yeah, man, James the Bow's happy birthday. Man. He was the first one that wasn't afraid to entertain. Everybody was like, nah, I want to I want to repercussions. I was like, there's no percussions, Like they're not killers. They were. They were the only crew to unite all the game bangers like they had you know. Yeah, it was like blue red you know what I'm saying, Yellow everybody just come and get them out of you forget to leave your ego, leave your colors behind, and come get money. So you know that right there, I got it, brought it to James the Bowls and then from there, it took its channels to fifty cent, So thank god. And Mitch's whole plan was I want to pay taxes one to day. He's like, when I get out, I want to pay taxes. He's like, I don't want to live that life. And so, you know, shout out to fifty the Curtis man for making that that come true and sending little young young meats to acting school. And you know what I mean that was it's been a blessing, And thank you fifty cent. You know what I mean, because I used to sleep on the floor and be a meth like out in out here. You know what I'm saying, you know, in the valley. Then we went to the Marino Valley, and then you know what I'm saying. Then it was a time when they separated. The brothers split up in two thousand, two thousand, they split up, and Meach was like, whoever come with me, come with me, whoever stay with my brother, stay with my brother. And I stayed with me, and in my group, I started getting real jealous because of my success as a songwriter and never started calling me Hollywood. I was never Hollywood, bro. I'm you know, I'm still same right now, I got you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Shout out to the fact. Yeah no, yeah no. But yeah, that was like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's hard to write the record. Come on, man, ship that's you know, that's a bunch of steps. But nonetheless, man, I like being f They they were there for me. Man, we were you know, we worked, we did. It took a minute. I was like, hey, man, when we gonna record? He was like, you'll want to record? He signed the record deal with you, so we didn't understand. But we were kind of like a like a like a flex almost like it was like it was a label. Yeah. But I was like, so, wait, when are we gonna record? Because I see y'all spending eighty thousand every night in the strip club. We go to the strip club. They would hand us money and I'd be like, I can't really throw this, and I would throw like thirteen dollars. I would thirt thirteen singles out of the hunting and be like, all right, nobody's gonna notice that. I ain't throw my whole hunting. You know what I'm saying? Going to my find, Yeah, I'm pocketed. Yeah, I did dedicated. I invested thirteen dollars into the dancers. But I just, man, they always liked the shout out be a meth man and like the image that they tried to paint. They weren't violent. You know, everybody protects themselves no matter what you know, it doesn't mean you're violent, and they were about you know, they were the last you know, ones to do it on that level. That brought all of our cultures together. Man, like it's dope. It was an amazing example of like, even though it was in that world, it just showed unity and show how powerful we could be if we come together, no matter what kang we're from. And I just you know, I'm I'm I'm superly Like, I'm really blessed that they were able to turn it and fifty cent was able to make that a successful show man, just because that was Mich's dream. That was all always meet. His dream was like, yo, I want to I want to want my story to be told the right way, and I want to come out and pay taxes. So everything set up for him to do just that. Man. So yeah, but that was the part. Like we go back to the investment. It was the Dope Boys, and I was like, man, you spend man. I just seen you spend five hundred thousand in this trip club last week. Can we record? And he was like yeah, he's like you want to record? I was like, yeah, that's where we signed a recording contract with you guys. Right, So he was like, all right, set up the studio. So where did I go? What did I do? The first session we did was Circle House, so I'm the first ones to bring being met down the Circle House and then we booked it. Then that's when I never forget. Diddy was there and he was walking. He was like, hey man, you liked the studio. I was like, it's the only mind you said. Circle House was my first session studio ever worked at. When I was twelve years old. We mixed down that music from Young Harmony at the Circle House. So I was there in ninety two too, to Miami too. Well yeah, Michael with Michael Jackson with Jungle Juice took us to Miami to mix with Lewis DS who discovered pit Bull, Yes, Louis d Yes Brothers. Yes. So he mixed down my first single. He mixed down our first single when I was twelve, nineteen ninety two. It was it was just mango trees and rock wellers back there. No pool no, no no house like pool House. So I talked niche in the like letting us go record there. So I booked the tour bus, I bought the study sessions, and then from there that's when I realized, like, man, we might we might be up front. I was like, when you realize, yeah, I was like, I don't think we ever coming out. I was like, I think we just looked good and they'd be like, I got a group there, Blue Daventure was rapping. You know what I'm saying. I'm like, maybe we never coming out. Yeah, And then all the you know, all the indictments started, and that's when me was like, look, man, he always told me this throughout the years, like we're all going to jail, except for you. Ended up getting their time. Everybody got their time, and you know, dude should be getting home and uh in a few months. So that's a blessing. And when he comes home, he's gonna come home exactly the way he wanted to, with you know, his story being out there and him being able to pay some taxes as a publisher at the time.
Speaker 4: Ethiopia is like yo, Pool Beard he called is.
Speaker 3: What happy birthday? I never knew you felt like that about me. Thank you from about on my heart, No for real, bro.
Speaker 5: And when she started mentioning him one twelve records, I'm like, oh, yeah, I do whatever session, Oh wow, because those are my commercials as young niggas, like one twelve Jagget Edge, what they were on.
Speaker 3: It was speaking to all of us.
Speaker 5: And to find out that someone our age also was writing those songs, it was like, oh yeah, no, no, no, set that shu it up.
Speaker 3: Wow man, you know what I mean. I had a head started. I was locked in the studio at twelve, like they used to lock me in. So I think I had a lot to do it, you know, being able to do those you was gonna get your ten thousand hours no matter what. Yeah, yeah, yep. It locked me in. So so what do you now? You got these records?
Speaker 5: Yep, you've done the artist thing a little bit, you dabbling.
Speaker 3: At that point, I made in my mind that I didn't want to sing. That's when that happened. Yeah, because I'm like I'm making All I wanted to do is buy my mom my house with my grandmama after hood. So thank god I turned nineteen and I did those records, and then my cousin was like, look, you're gonna do a co pubs in deal, but wait till you got two number one. So when Peaches of Cream came out, that was my second number one. I was nineteen and I did a pub I didn't anything. It is the first number one anywhere was R and B up on the R and B charts, yep, yep, and then Peaches on the R and B charts.
Speaker 2: So you walked in.
Speaker 3: I was so crazy because I was with La Read yesterday and I'm like, bro, you gave me my first publishing deal when I was like nineteen years old. You gave my first six figure check.
Speaker 2: You walked in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what year is this, uh ninety.
Speaker 1: Nine with two number one? Yeah at that time, yeah, yeah, And I can only imagine.
Speaker 5: You know, And they were already popping that ship about you though, bro, Like this is the other part, right, because who was popping shit? Billy Callaway, Billy Stewarts and sure like, because you know it was this is all family for me, Like sorry, that's bad, so for like everybody, And that's the thing that most of the writers and artists don't know. Sometimes the people that are cheerleading for you and that I'm pushing. I never knew to the rest of the industry, you know what I'm saying, because like you said, you're keeping.
Speaker 3: Your head down, you work, you're working. I never knew.
Speaker 5: But these people who I if they said somebody was gold, Yeah, they was gold to make go right. So all of these people are already like yo, poop and poop and poop by bro your name Wow, it was moving wow.
Speaker 3: And that was dead. That was ninety nine, two thousand. Yeah. Yeah, Now you do to deal with hiccough. I I did my first deal with Hiccolls telling Eli read yesterday, I was like, man, thank you man for believing in me. You know, that was my first deal. And I was able then to go and move my mom and grandma out of that that two bedroom apartment and move him into a house in tenth on the tenth course, tenth hold of a golf course. Yeah, and I've never did my grandma. I never forget moving her, was putting her a little in her bed. I put a boy the hospital bed, moved it right in there because I refused to put anybody in an old folks home or retirement whatever that was called. And I put her right looking at the lake on the tenth hole of a golf course. And then I was like, I told you, and she was just like dying. But she died in that house. She got a chance to see my hard work, me standing out all night, sleeping on the floor, me telling her like, I'm gonna move us out of here. She got to see it happen. So for me, that was like I never really cared about being famous or none of that. I just wouldn't buy my mind as wanted to move my mom and my grandma out the hood. But that's amazing, bro. So that was my whole thing. So once I did that, I was like, okay, so now it's my new tribe right now what drives me now? And it was just like they just don't. People don't think I could do it again. And it turned into I just got to prove this to myself that I could do it again. Because the average lifespan of a writer is two years. Producer writers two years. You get it hit, you get hot, everybody cheerleads you, then you start celebrating, you get caught up in it. But it's somebody else working twice as hard as you, and they come out with two hits. Now their sound is popping, and you're done forever. So in my mind I was like, I don't want to be done forever. And I always had this fear of like what happens if my sound go? And I didn't even realize that I was creating a sound. I wasn't allowed to listen to secular music as a kid, So that's why you can't compare my songs to anything like you can't what the peaches and cream sound like nothing? But it anywhere sound like nothing? What does? What? Where are you now that I need you? Sound like nothing? So and that happened because I wasn't allowed to listen to secular music. So I wasn't I had zero influence. I was allowed to listen to trumpet Christian trumpet music by a guy named Phil Drisco. He was a trumpeteer and so Christian Christian trumpet music that was all I was allowed to listen to. That was the thing because I ended up playing the trumpet in the market in the band from a church kid.
Speaker 4: So you understand you've never heard of Christian trumph.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Phil Drisco. Look him up. He's still out right now playing trump He got be like a hundred, but he playing the trumpet, Bill Drisco. He made me, And of course I ended up playing the trumpet in the concert band, playing trumpet in the marching band. So but it was because of my influence that was all I was allowed to hear. So when I was going to the studio to make songs, they sound.
Speaker 4: It didn't sound like nothing else.
Speaker 3: So in my mind, I'm like, this is garbage, you know what I'm saying. So I was like, spend a year I thought I was garbage because I couldn't make a song that reminded us. And that's how people still to this day. Most people they don't realize that they're doing this, but when they listen to a song, they're subliminally comparing it to something else and in order for them to be like I love That's like why it made me feel like that Marvin Garrol made me feel so knowing that it made it. It was that much of an uphill battle because I had zero influence. It helped me in the law room from lawsuits because nobody can ever say I stole that melodies because it's all my own I created my own melodies. But at the time, I was like, I suck, and I was like, I just got to keep getting this garbage out of my system because eventually something good is gonna come. Nothing good really came. One twelfth Duran Jones started to believe in me and he was like, nah, bro, you're good. I was like, nah, man, it's like this sucks. And then that's where we can do it anywhere. Pink Love is such a crazy thing on that album when she was Burgundy, and it gave me enough hope and I was like, well, maybe they just tell me that because they're nice man. Like nah, And then we worked on They brought me on tour. I didn't graduate from high school. I went they used me, Bro. I was singing all God bless a child every day for everybody. You know how they used you to be the representation for anybody. Then I get to the twelfth grade. Mind you, I had already made a pe in summer school in the eleventh grade. Yeah, so in my mind I got to hit record already. I ain't tell anybody that knows nah, but one twelve used to pick me up, like each one of them used to come and pick me up in school and they'd be like, hey, man, I think I seen Slim pick you up yesterday. I was like probably. And then I had a bad boy jacket. You remember the bad boy jacket with the baby. I had one. You know what I'm saying. So you and school with a.
Speaker 4: Boy they let her by one twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I still didn't tell you by because I didn't want any of anybody to feel like I thought I was all that because I had a song on the radio. Yeah. Now, my science teacher, mister Block, rest in peace. I guess he used to tell me you suck. He used to say this verbatim. He's like, mister boyd, I need you to start paying attention in my class because you only one percent people make it in the music business, and you're not that one percent. And he told me that to this. Why you said western piece, I guess because that's because as he's saying that to me, anywhere was in heavy rotation. Every hour. I could have told him to be like yo if he turned on B one on three right now, yeah here anywhere, because it was every hour. You don't know this, and I'm like, I'm not it's not me. It's not in my place to say this, but all right, I'd already been. I had already became the one percent while I was in school. I had I had a record on the radio and heavy rotation. I got ask captain words when I was in high school. You know what I'm saying. So he was saying this. And I never told anybody because I didn't want anybody to feel uncomfortable. Because I had some success at a young age, I kept with a secret. Nobody still nobody knew until like later on, and people just found out, but I never It wasn't a thing. It wasn't like the rumor in school, like oh Pooper did that anywhere. So I never told anybody, and I just wanted to keep it a secret. And I really just wanted to buy my mama house. Like I wasn't doing it for any other reason.
Speaker 5: But I would have up in the bad Boy take that, Take that yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, bad Boy.
Speaker 2: Bring my Concubine the writer of records.
Speaker 3: Solemn Yeah, but that like that was like, man, I definitely nineteen twenty. I wasn't so I was making songs that when I was doing them, it was so hard to place them. We know as songwriters, Like I used to try to write songs for artists, but then I would make songs for myself because I always pretended to be an artist. So when I would play the songs that I wrote for artists, they would be like, nah, what else you got it? Then when I play my songs like I want all of those, I want I want all that. Yeah, I'm like, why don't they want the sh I'm writing for them? And really I figured out, like artists, they don't want what they already sound like. And yeah, here's a here's a fact.
Speaker 2: Here's a fact.
Speaker 3: Guys, as a writer, when you're going in, you know you grew up hearing these artists, you don't really want to study what they're working on, what they're doing, because they did that already. So what I've learned is they want what you would do for yourself. They don't want what you think they would have done on their last album, because that was their last album. So even if that was a sound, it's they don't want to go for that same sound on the next solum. So the secret is make music for yourself. Write songs for yourself that you love and hopes that they can resonate with that. Don't try to make songs for the artists unless you're with them every day and you know they're going through heartbreak, you know they're in love, you know their story. You can't really you're just getting in a car and driving without having actual address to put in the in the ways. So the ways, the actual address is the concept, that's the idea, you know, ways to take you through the hood. They take you to the hood because now they're trying to get you to buy stuff. They're advertising pop Eyes. You know what I'm saying. They're like, you know you can start know you're hungry. Yeah, out the way. It's not the greatest in Miami. Might have had you in the hood of Miami.
Speaker 5: It took me to some dad Is and I'm like, oh man, let me go ahead and.
Speaker 3: Grab this pistol, get about it. Oh yeah, yeah, good ways. But now make records for yourself, man, because like you think, you're writing songs for what they what you like, what you're used to hearing, and they want what's next. They don't want what they did already. So I learned that with Usher, I learned that with Chris Brown. I learned that with Justin Biebers, Like anytime I play songs that I think would be for them, they're like no, no, no, like quickly, and then I play. I'm like, well, I'm just playing something I've been working on and I'm like I want I love that, And I'm like, but that's too mature for you, and they're like, no, that's where we want to go. That's mine. Yeah, my rug, but you I had a song on the radio that this is how humble I am. I had a song on the radio that was heating up called Alone, and I never forget. I just met Justin and you know, I wrote something called Recovery and and he absolutely he heard Alone. He was like, what's that. I was like, that's my song, but it's on the radio right now. He was like, yeah, I don't care about that.
Speaker 4: What you mean that is a superstar comment here.
Speaker 3: I was like no, I'm like, it's actually out, it's growing, you know what I'm saying. It's building momental Yeah, yeah, it's like, how can I say this to understand my heart? Yeah? My heart is this, Yes, get bigger? You know. It didn't matter. And then and then I was in my mind, I was like what but really, I'm a songwriter, and I always just kept bringing myself back to I do this so I can help provide a better life for my family. And I'm like, man, you know what, you can have it. So I gave him the record while it was on while my version was on the radio, and they went on the internet. They scrubbed it down, they put down. The crazy part is you can still find my version on YouTube, which is crazy, but they literally took it off and then he cut it. And that was like me understanding, like, you know what, this is not about me, man, It's about me getting my songs out there and getting my melodies and being able to elevate my family.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: And then if it's meant if I'm supposed to be a singer and shy like I willingly, it'll happen. But right now I want to I'm here. And I started going through the rest of my album and then he wanted certain songs. I was like, that's too that's nasty, that's perverted. So then I have to think, like, instead of saying grip tight, we all know what the grip tight is, I was like, hold tight. So then grip type became that hold on tight. Now I could be a hug knowing what it really is on the double ontang grip. So I started going in and he was like I want that. I was like, well, maybe I'll just started pging all of my braided R songs. And that's where journals came from.
Speaker 5: Those are like, yeah, you've given a real lesson and a real manuscript to young songwriters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, and have it.
Speaker 5: I for one having an understanding that as a as a songwriter, that's what you're doing. You got to be of service. Yes, you got to. You gotta take your ego out of it.
Speaker 3: Take an ego out of it. What is that artist? So? What is said?
Speaker 4: Artists need yep yep to for all of us to succeed in this thing. Yes, and for me to take care of my family.
Speaker 3: That's what we're doing it for. I mean, you know, some people want to do it to be famous. I never really, I never wrote songs to become famous. It was literally to create a better lifestyle. You know, I understood throughout the years the importance of having a platform. You know what I'm saying, understand jumping on in the video. I understood that later on, like why it was important for creatives to put themselves out there with the world. It became a thing. Yeah, when the producer became the star.
Speaker 2: Before that, you had had your head down long.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I didn't tell I was about was due.
Speaker 3: It was and it was you know, I mean years and years and years.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I worked. Yeah, I mean I went, you know, with Draymondow. They kidnapped me. They went to Philly, and that's when I was working with Ryan Toby a lot with a lot of come on, come on, speak on this confessions. Speak on these confessions, because you're part of.
Speaker 5: Something that if you buried it and someone found it one hundred years later, they would understand what.
Speaker 3: That time was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the type of album that Confessions is that you are a part of that you helped create with all these amazing writers and producers and the artists himself Usher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was one of like for me, it was so crazy being a songwriter trying to write songs for Usher and then finally getting to work with him. I'm like, I was. We were so off, Like when you think you're writing something like you don't have no ideas, like you don't know what they're going through. Well, you just get in the car and start driving, like where are we going right now? And so like just learning that, Like you know, the very first song that that l A read demanded that Usher cut was Superstar and Ryan had already composed this. I came in and added whatever I added to it, you know what I mean. That's Ryan had already cut and created the whole, like the majority of it, and I just came in and put faith on the bridge and you know what I'm saying. That was amazing. But that was the first song that Usher cut on Confessions. Then it was caught Up. Then it was come Following Me, but it was follow me too, Yeah, come follow Me, and that was for Yeah, that was that was for Mario. Come Following Me was for Mario. And then Mario passed on it, and so we played it for Usher in New York at the studio. He was like, he's like, what's that? You came just in time? Runnated and other girl tell me. He's like, low that up right now, and he cut it immediately. That was like the first time I didn't see ushers sit there and Twirler's ring and be like, man, I don't know, like you never know, Usher it was you always had great years around you that known for you. And that was the first time he heard a song and was like boom, cutting immediately. But you know that the process it was, it was frightening because it was a two year window. We started with Usher in two thousand and two. Confessions didn't come out to four so and we were making those records. I know, in my mind when I was with Ryan, I was like, caught Up was like, this is like he's talking to Chili and in my mind, I'm like, he's the new Michael Jackson. So when we approached Caught Up, we were like, what would Michael Jackson do right now in two thousand and two, And that's how that's absolutely yeah. So and then he went on and did a video to match that, you know, like the Smooth Criminal that ale. He spent God, he spent like a million two on that video. I never forget that. But it was just interesting because in my heart, I knew we weren't going to make that album because I'm like, the songs are all to you, and because and he wasn't with they weren't together no more. So I'm like we made these songs based on him being with Chili. She was the superstar, he was the groupie. He was caught up with her. You're not like the other girls I meet every day. These were songs were about Chili from TFC, So I'm like, he's not even gonna resonate with this, So you know, thank god, La was locked in his mom shout out to Usher and mister n Nettterman. She was locked in to caught up. So we had some emotional connections to those records. And then two years later the album comes out and the songs made the project, and I was like, unbelievable because he was confessing now. So I'm like it went from like being caught up to I fucked up. It was a full story. It was a full story. And it's crazy enough. The concept of the album didn't come until like almost the end. So yeah, so it wasn't like we're like, oh, we all know we need to be confessing some shit. We didn't have a clue. And then that project, it was like for me, it uh that I'm doing one man that like one point one the first week and from there it was like god Lee. Then I was sure didn't think we were gonna have a single because they put my boot on the on the on the what do you call it? When the deluxe and then that went to radio. I'm like, well, there goes our fourth single, slide right there. Yeah, with Alicia. Then we did like like somebody did a power move. I don't know if Ryan told this, but drama down. Put p D crack, you gum really put p D crack and then a yes and did a remax of caught up and released it and sent it to funk Flex and funk Flex started dropping bombs on it, so we forced them to so then it started the report started coming in on the RAATEDEO and Mark Pitts was like caught up and spinning on the radio, and then it forced them to make it the fifth single, in his fifth and final single, and then they on the video question.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because you you you you got the one twelve records, you got, you got your two number one, you got your Buve deal, You're writing, you're doing some great things, and then you get on an album that sells one point one in the first first week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how you?
Speaker 2: I'm sure you are already assault after writer, but is there an elevation that is out of this world? When you sell one point one the first week, because I know there's I've experienced. Yeah, not close to one. Win't want more like six and fifty.
Speaker 3: And it was a leap and you and you had.
Speaker 1: A got a Lamborghini. That's what happened. I said, I need a Lamba along with all these other.
Speaker 4: When I had my turn, I didn't buy it him by Lambo.
Speaker 2: It was so sad for you.
Speaker 3: I got a kid. Yeah, you gotta get those lamb You gotta get Lambo.
Speaker 2: I don't know it correct.
Speaker 4: I should have bought a Lamborghini.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, So did I didn't. I was. I bought like a seventh series BMW. But I was like, what were the calls?
Speaker 2: Like, like what were there were?
Speaker 3: It was? It was interesting because true enough, man, even then, like when you came out and I was like, man, I need you to not I need you to put that humble ship right. I was so used to being like hidden and tucked away that it didn't really affect I didn't feel the effect of it because at that time Usher gravitated to Ryan, you know what I mean, So it more affected Ryan you know what I mean than me because I was like the fat guy that was I was doing a lot, and I was doing it, but I was always in the back of the room because I was like trying not to be seen and like and I were like still doing vocal producing, still writing, but then it was like all right, once I was done, I vanished, you know what I mean. So I didn't really feel the effect of it like I should have. If I would have been more you were avoiding life. I wasn't because I just felt like I was super I was insecure, I was obese, and I just felt like I didn't want anybody to feel like I was trying to I was seeking attention because I wasn't. I just wanted to continue to buy. I wanted to buy my mom another house. At that time, I was on my second, second, second house. So so it didn't really affect me as much as I if I would have been, like, let me put myself out there so people know that, I was, like, you didn't even know I did. Come found with me to this day, was twenty years later, So I didn't. I just wasn't putting myself out there enough to ride that the way that other people were doing.
Speaker 5: Like you I have, bro I know, You're never still I know, I know thiggas with records like you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you better than me.
Speaker 3: People. Now, I could have easily been on every record life Happy Birthday.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tank and Tankeding loaded up the piano.
Speaker 3: I know, Man, that's what I'm saying. We might have to have so many Man, I might have to be a part two.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, you are always invited to come hang.
Speaker 3: Out with us, bro Man, thank you for having me. Man, we believe in you. It starts with the belief. That's one of my texts. I got all my quotes, all my sayings tatted on me. Man, Happy birthday, right there. What's the next one you said? You get nobody cares. Nobody cares. That's how you get through life without getting your feelings her, nobody cares. Go so perfect with those chords.
Speaker 2: Brother Poop comes to a special part of our pod where.
Speaker 1: We get into the mind of Pool. Yes, the people want to know what they want to know. You've written a lot of jams, all the jams. You've written all the jams, man, But the most important jams.
Speaker 3: Would be your mm hmm top FA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your top five.
Speaker 3: Jop F, your.
Speaker 1: Top fasing guys, these songs.
Speaker 3: Were not.
Speaker 2: Baseball.
Speaker 7: You go, yes, everybody, top five, you.
Speaker 3: Top five? Come on right, come on, come on now, right, come on with the diminishings. So do these top five need to be They don't need to be my top my songs, none, your top five, my top r and bast singers right now.
Speaker 2: Singer yours?
Speaker 3: Man? Do we start from the yours?
Speaker 2: From where you want to start?
Speaker 3: Five to one?
Speaker 2: Whatever, don't matter.
Speaker 1: No order, no order, no orders, how you feel, how you feel the five people.
Speaker 3: Donny Hathaway, come now, mind you. I wasn't allowed to listen to this, so I went back later on and Discovery. You know what I'm saying, sing this song for you? You knew was trumpet music. Phil. Yeah, so we got Nanny half the way. Oh my god, I'll say that one because that's that was the one that inspired me to even want to be in a music You got, Donny, you got, I'm I'm gonna say it man, Mario man, yeah, ye, I don't know if anybody, no, everybody, Okay, okay, we've seen it in that that that that versus yeah, we don't play about Mario, Okay, okay about Mario. That sure was amazing.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Yes? Why not? Is it? Donny Marios? That's three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, m hm.
Speaker 3: Hm oh R and B though, No, I was thinking about Christians? Who you want throwing there?
Speaker 4: Kim Burrell, I'm sorry because she has been such an.
Speaker 2: Is icon. Yeah she is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a whole. She got a little mini, little Mini's little mini Minnie Barell, generations of Minnie Burrell, Yes, multiple generations. That's four. Stevie Wonder, Stevie Wonder. Come on, yeah, yeah, man, that's my five.
Speaker 2: Man Okay, top five R and B songs.
Speaker 3: So crazy because I don't listen to music, Okay, R and B songs, I really I may you know what I'm gonna throw. I'm gonna throw something in there right now that I hear in my mind a song called Maybe I Deserve. Yeah, it's just so fresh on my mind. I'm like, I just remember.
Speaker 4: Having that you talk about a destination.
Speaker 3: I just remember that song sticking out so long and like it's such a staple, like it's a part where it's like that was to me. It was new. It was a new style of writing too, you know what I mean. So that's my that's my first one I.
Speaker 4: Call that that I lost my bitch anthem.
Speaker 3: Man's looked at it like that. Maybe I deserve Yeah at that time like that, Yeah you want say about it? Yeah, I come it back. I deserve we got Oh oh Cender, my loves Stevie Wonder, Yes, yeah, unbelievable and very place alien yeah, super player. Oh I'm gonna have to man, I hate to say this, but all that matters, man, I just I mean, I didn't want to say because I wrote it, but all that matters from journals for Beaver, just because because you know that inside that humble thing, I know, I know, I know I'm fighting it. It's a battle, humble flast, humble battle. Nah, It's okay. So maybe I deserve Cender. All that matters. All that matters, man, R and B. Come on, man, Oh, I'm gonna have to go back to oh tripping mm hmmm mm hmm faith Evans as soon as I get home. Come on, I'm dig I'm going like I'm diving in because like you know what I mean, No, I don't really listen to music, so I'm leaving diving in what I had that Oh man, No, that just made me think of Carl Thomas. I wish I never met her?
Speaker 4: Man, don't.
Speaker 3: Man? Yeah, Like both are the ones where it was like, can you know what it was? It's so hard for arm beating to live in the club. So when you have an R and B song that can live in club, it's a big deal to be soft and hard. It's a big deal. Tomorrow, all right, I wish it never met her. That's four.
Speaker 2: It's five?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, one more? One more? One more?
Speaker 4: You want you got one more?
Speaker 3: That was five?
Speaker 4: You know my great account Sure, I'm really good accounting.
Speaker 5: Maybe I deserve all that matters as soon as I get home.
Speaker 3: I wish, I wish that's it.
Speaker 2: I ain't saying no next. I ain't saying no names, saying no names.
Speaker 3: I ain't saying no name was yeah what you need?
Speaker 2: Don't see man, I ain't saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah we at that part of the show. That part is this a story?
Speaker 3: Will you tell us a story?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got so many funny and fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? Yeah? And don't got no names? The game amazing, let's sold a story? No names? Man. At my fastest I was in Philadelphia working with an artists and this artist was like I love you, and I was like, I love you too, but it was more like I love you too, as like your music and what you've done and contributed to our society. But I response like, yeah, I love you too, such and such, such and such and such and such, and then I was like and then there was like I'm gonna cook for you. I was like, all right, and then so we did. We did a record two days later, come back and she brought food. She brought food, and she brought hot sauce. It was her own hot sauce.
Speaker 4: Okay, she had made the hot sauce or had.
Speaker 3: Her picture on it. Yeah. And then she made apple pie. I'm not even in an apple pie, but she was like, I peel these apples for you. And she was like, I suppose in these leather pants for you. And I was like I was starting to feel like wait, man, Like I thought, you know what I'm saying, this was a musical, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, And then I walked by She's drinking red wine. She was like, you want some wine? I was like, nah, that makes me sleepy, you know what I'm saying. We hear the work like we hadn't even started the sessions feeding me and macaroni and cheese with seven cheese. I didn't even know there was a macaroni cheese with seven cheeses at that time. Even I couldn't name seven cheeses. And I'm walking by. I feel something, mind you, I never had an ass. So I walked by and she grabbed whatever I thought was my ass, and I'm like, I had never had anybody actually grab my ass? Was my mom might not even have an ass to grab. I'm like, what she's grabbing right now? Grab my ass? And I was like that was uncomfortable. That was awkward. I'm like, all right, try to play that off like that didn't happen. Get upstairs in the room and studio, and it is hot, okay because the heat rises to the top, so it's hot. It's shit. So I'm working me the artist, the engineer, and the engineer was like, hey, man, can I take a quick break to go to the bathroom. I'm like cool. As soon as he before he could leave the room, she was like, whoa, it's shure is hot in here. Don't you want to come out of that shirt? And I mind you. I'm four thirty, Bro, I got titties. You know what I'm saying. This wasn't I. I was not proud of my titties. I used to so I used to wear two shirts to try to hide my titties. So I was like, it is hot, So I pulled off a shirt, but I had on another shirt. A why lie? How about that? You know what I'm saying about them titties for cars? You know what I'm saying. So then she kicks up, she comes and stands over me, and she unzips her pants that she squolls in for me, and I just see like these fits like net like see you through panties. And I'm like, my heart's beating.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm like, I don't know what's going on. I kind of have an idea what's happening, but it felt like I was dreaming. It felt like it was surreal. You know what's happening. It's not even a good part of the store. So then as she's standing in front of me with her pants on zipper, the engineer walks in and then he walked right back out. He did went on. He was like, oh my bad. He did the one step and pivot back out. And I was like no. I was like, hey, no, we're ready. I was like, no, we're ready.
Speaker 5: He thought he was saving you, and I was like, no, we're ready to record.
Speaker 3: Come back in cut the record. Then I get another two days ago by I get a call from this assistant like, yeah, such and such want to invite you to her birthday party? Is private. She was like, but don't. She's like, don't tell anybody. She don't want no paparazzi there she wants. She's going to invite the people that she wants. I'm like, amazing, so dramoned down, I was like, hey man, y'all gonna be at the party, right. They're like, what party? She's just I can't even say, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely not dreaming that.
Speaker 6: She just told you know, oh yeah yeah no no, but you already I met this person them, so.
Speaker 3: It wasn't It was the assistant that told me. And in my mind, why wouldn't they know, because they're the whole reason why I even know this person. So I'm like, I'm gonna tell that. I won't tell nobody else, but I'm gonna tell the people that introduced me. And they're like, nah, well, we don't know about no party. I was like, don't worry, they're gonna call you, but I can't tell nobody, Like you're gonna get the call, but you can't tell nobody. All right, they're gonna call y'all, so you know, and then so the days go by, days go by, and then finally you know they this person they she flew me in. Oh, you gotta flew it out. She flew yeah, like a girl.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, I'm getting flowed out, blowed out. It's a whole new way to say that.
Speaker 2: Ship.
Speaker 3: So I gotta go down. And they had like the car I landed, and had me go straight to the to the party where I thought was. I thought it was a party. Get to the party, open the door. It's a hundred candles burning and music like slow music playing, and I'm just like, where's the people? Where's the party? And I'm like, it's real private, you know what I'm saying. I'm like, yeah, it was super private, private privy. I'm like, and my mom, I'm like, all right, maybe it's a surprise party. So people are gonna jump out. So I'm like, where are the people, Like, where are we jumping out from where are the others? Where are the others? Where are the others? And then then she comes out. Bro, she came out, and uh she came out. Bro, you know me cried my left eye. Wait a minute, bro. Yeah. So now I'm at the surprise, the non the surpriseless party. But just me, I'm sweating because I'm like that it's I'm getting hot. Sit there, here she comes and a fucking see through rope, a sheer nightgown, naked sheer with like fur fur naked birthday ankles, so everything covered up was ship that we don't care this like ankles was covered, her neck was covered. I'm like, naked, come sit on my lap, rubbing my rubbing my pony tail, of course the back, you know what I'm saying. And she's like, hey, thank you for coming, Like, happy birthday, this is a happy birthday. Came No, I just said happy birthday. Way before that. I start happy birthday. I was like sixteen, but man, and so I'm like she's like, thank you for coming. I'm like, yeah, happy birthday. Where is everybody? She's like no, it's just us. And I'm like I'm so scared.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: She's sitting on my lap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mind you.
Speaker 3: She had already asked me to call my mom before she told my mom she loved me. I was like, it's weird, mom. I can't say that that might give it away, but it was, you know, it was a similarity in the in the age my mom. So it was weird. So I tell you know, I'm like, I'm thinking, like I gotta get out of this in my mind. So she's like, you want something drink? You want to Hennessy And I'm like, I don't for me Henny Bro yeah on some hoods ships, super hood she wanted to get. Yeah. She was like I need to get him discombobulated, like he needs to not be in his right mind to get to this. So I'm like, man, I'm okay right now. And she was like, she's like, wait, I got you something. And I was like, what'd you get me? Bruh. She came out with a jackiet Bro. She got me at your chill like one from like a real store, the one to do like sixty bands. She got chill up. Yeah, And so I was like, oh no, I was like, I can't you know what I'm saying. I'm like, what is this? She was like, this is something for you, a gift. I'm like your birthday. You know what I'm saying. I'm like no. She put it on my sho was like, I'm like, man, with all due respect, man I got I went to the ship. I'm like, man, with all due respect, I can't take this. It's just like, yeah you can. She's like, I got it for you and I'm not. She's like, I'm not keeping it here. She was like, it's yours and I'm like I was like, I was like, you know, what do you mind? I heard it with how girls hit dudes. I was like, do you mind if I go back to the hotels like a freshen up? You know how the girl had to do? But I need to do to go fresh. So I was like, do you mind if I go back to the Soffie tails like a freshen up? And she was like, yeah, as long as you come back. I was like, yeah, I'll be back. She was like, put the jacket on his cold outside. Yeah, I'm gonna call you now. I was like, I'm coming back. She was like I'm gonna have the driver stay, like he's gonna he's gonna bring you and stay and waiting. I was like, yeah, bruh, I was sweating bullets. Bro, I've never been That was the first time I've ever been in that scenario on my whole life. Bro, I'm not used to women like I wasn't coming on to me. I was really obese. So I didn't get it. I was confused and I was engaged. I was engaged, and that okay, okay, so sound like I'm gay. I'm engaged. What's happening. So now I go to the hotel and I'm like, damn it. I spelt embarrassed. I was like, should I call the people that introduced me, like, because they clear didn't even getn't get invited, So it was like I was the only invite invited. It was the only attendee, and it yeah, And I didn't go back. I didn't go back. I actually stayed the night at the hotel and caught my flight because I had a flight the next day to go back to Atlanta, Georgia. I never went back. Man. And then it was so crazy because this was in two thousand and one, two thousand and two, and this was before the whole me Too movement, right, So I had cut records on this artist, and because I didn't sleep with her, she pulled all my songs off the album. I was the first me Too as a guy, and I thought about it years and years later. I thought about a year you got oh you got me Too too by a woman hopefully right. Yeah, okay, okay, okay, yeah, how damn you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, I know, hey man, but it was something I remember, like when the me Too shit happened. I called my homie who introduced I was like, hey, man, I think I'm gonna come out with my story. He was like no. I was like, yeah, man, they took she took our songs off the album because I wouldn't sleep with her. And he was like, yeah, well just so just let it go.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, bro, look at this. The dude cruisers come, all these people coming out, and I'm like, I'm gonna be the real first guy that had this happen from a woman woman. Yeah, and I'm like, I'm coming out. He was like, nah, don't, man. He taught me off the ledge. You know what I'm saying. But that was my I hope I didn't give away too many hints, but that was my nameless story. I never saw her again. My friends ran into her years later and the first question that she didn't say, Hey, how y'all doing. Oh, it's good to see y'all, she said. The first thing he said, she said was where's your friend with the ponytail?
Speaker 2: The pool bear guy?
Speaker 3: That was the first day. This was three four years later. He's still looking for you. Yeah, man, So that's my story. Man, I'm so glad I finally got to get that on my chest and tell that without actually saying any names. Yeah, amazing story. Thank you man, that really happened.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's a surprise. Took me out here right.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got a surprise with all us with a macaroni and she it's eight Jesus. Now.
Speaker 5: I can't wait see the comments I can and see who they think it is. Try to oh man, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, nameless.
Speaker 3: I was waiting on this opportunity. I wasn't gonna be the one to reach. I was just like, man, I would love to do that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So thanks for having me and being so genuine and never changing. Y'all are still the same motherfuckers. I appreciate that. I know. It's just I see a lot of people change, so it's thanks for being this being being the same man and giving creating this platform for R and B. Man, We've never really had this spot like ever outside of what Soul trained. What was it done? Yeah, video soul video soul right, but that's like twenty So thank you for creating this platform and I appreciate you and you both you both kings and your amazingly challenged as well. Thank you man.
Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 5: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward Slash R and B Money