Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Podcast, Welcome to you, and that's what you really last podcast. I don't know if I should have done that so gleefully since this is the beginning of the end, but here we.
Speaker 2: Are, I think you should have. I think it was warranted.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: I think this is a fun episode. It's a celebration of where we came from, of where it all started, and a really fun concept for an episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean I remember when they told us about this episode, that it was happening, and like I remember hearing makeup starting to get ready for it, obviously because there's like a lot of different books that needed to be recreated, and I remember being feeling very nostalgic about all of this. I'm very excited that this is what they were doing. It felt really I don't know, it was just really nice that they us.
Speaker 2: Well, it did something interesting. I feel like, like mentally or emotional to all of us. I think it was the nostalgia of like we all immediately yeah, like yeah, we regressed or reverted back to like how we were. It's like when you go back to visit your parents and you immediately become a teenager again. Yeah, and it was just like it was really nice and lovely, and everybody was just like, not to say people weren't nice and lovely before, but it was sort of like that naivete that we had in the beginning, all of a sudden came back and we're like, this is fun. Remember this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there was the choir room scene. Yes, it is so memorable. We'll talk about that. Yeah, okay, so this is season six, episode twelve, two thousand and nine. Is the title. My look, wait, he landed on me again. This is crazy, you.
Speaker 2: Guys, Jenna, tell the people why it's crazy.
Speaker 1: All right? So I have a lady book that just landed on me for the second time today.
Speaker 2: Don't blow it all.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, bye Bear. And when Bear died, it was September of like two or three years ago, and I had said my friend Alessandra, our friend who said said I when my dog died, I told him to come back as a butterfly and to visit me. So I was like, okay, I'll do a ladybug. I like ladybugs. I don't really like bugs otherwise, so I asked him to come back as a ladybug. I said that to him before he died. And then you and I were at the iHeartRadio Festival doing our podcast from Las Vegas and going to the wardrow or was it the warto of the concert? Is a concert concert? And right after the day after and so I came out for the day and I get a text message from David and when I'm in hair and makeup, and there's a ladybug in our bathroom, in our bathroom, and he's like, hey bear, and I was like, this is when do you ever see a ladybug in your bathroom? Anyway, so I knew that he came to visit me. He's a few other times, but today I had him land right on my shirt. And then he was hanging out on my desk when we started.
Speaker 2: This podcast inside the house again and.
Speaker 1: Then we're I'm in the middle of recording. Just now he landed on my chest. Did I knock him off? On him? He was on your chest and he's alive. I'm sorry, but he just came to see me, and I just I love that. Okay. Anyway, it's all OK, it's nice. This is full circle. Yeah, all right, So this airs on March twentieth, twenty fifteen, after we've wrapped the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was actually so two episodes aired this night. It was this episode first and then our series finale. So Fox was like, we're getting you out of here, just get them off. We've had enough of you. But we're doing them separately. We're not doing two episodes right now. This is just two thousand and nine, so it is not the last one yet, so special.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: In the news, the number one song is still Uptown Bunk, always cash that check. Number one movie is Insurgent. Did you see this?
Speaker 1: I have multiple times?
Speaker 2: Oh, Jenna, the things you watch are you know?
Speaker 1: They said that people who watch things over and over again at nauseum actually have a higher EQ. So have at higher EQ. Yeah, like emotional intelligence.
Speaker 2: Oh I think you said like IQ.
Speaker 1: No, that's definitely not true.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I started to watch things over and over again, so maybe my emotional intelligence is growing.
Speaker 1: I'm so proud of you. Thank you anyway. Okay, so, yes, I have seen Insurgent. I think Glee news this week on March seventeenth.
Speaker 2: Happy Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 1: Kevin's favorite holiday. Glee the music two thousand and nine ep was released. It featured five tracks from episode twelve, season six, including the previously released cover Don't Stop Believe In, originally performed in episode one of one, and was released for digital download.
Speaker 2: Only on March twenty first and twenty second. So right after this aired, Jenna, myself, Darren, Jacob, Mark and Becca attended the Cleek Reunion convention in Paris, France.
Speaker 1: That was a fun one. So we couldn't watch the finale live or we would have probably all gotten together and watched it because we were in Paris doing this.
Speaker 2: It was also I think there was you and me. I had this strange of version to like I didn't want to watch it yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, we were putting it off off.
Speaker 2: I was scared to watch it. I actually watched it that weekend. My friend Cleo was there and we laid in bed and watched the two episodes and yeah cried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I brought the dishies out. I remember sitting there by myself and I think it was the weekend after or whenever we got home. I remember like having to prepare myself for it. But it was special. This was directed by the one and only Paris Barclay, and this was written by Ryan Ian and Brad course, and Everybody's back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone is back, and there's quite a few songs in here, songs. We've already had some new songs, so we have popular sung by Kurt and Rachel.
Speaker 1: I mean we had to complete the Wicked Okay, I'm His Child by Zella Jackson Price performed by Mercedes.
Speaker 2: I Kissed a Girl performed by Tina. Did you redo this?
Speaker 1: Because I actually did this version in the studio because the original in the pilot we did live, yes, so we never got to the studio for that one.
Speaker 2: How did it feel going back to do it again?
Speaker 1: It was funny, it actually got to finish a song. I loved it. I liked revisiting it. It was very weird to watch uh this time around, but I enjoyed like actually singing it with like a I guess it was still only like piano. It wasn't like a fully produced number. But I really enjoy Pony even more. This is Pony by Artie.
Speaker 2: Don't Stop Believing, which was original yeah, by the new directions and then unreleased was mister Sullivan.
Speaker 1: Like hurt right where we only see his back because his audition was so iconic that we couldn't quite recreate that again with Chris being a foot taller and so much to six years older, from a boy to a man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looks so different, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean he was just like unrecognizable. Yeah, okay, So this episode aired back to back with the series finale, like we said, with Dreams True as part of a special two part finale.
Speaker 2: It was the most watched episode of season six, strong two point seven million viewers.
Speaker 1: Won't won't Wow for a fat finale, It marked the highest viewership since Tested, which aired fifteen episodes.
Speaker 2: Really and people saw me get ScDs and they're like, you know what, I'm out, I'm done with this shows. That's what happened there stops. This is only the second episode of the series set in the past, the first being previously unaired Christmas.
Speaker 1: However, two thousand and nine is the first flashback episode considered official canon.
Speaker 2: Several familiar faces returned this episode. Matt Rutherford appears for the first time since season one finale Journey after a ninety nine episode absence, WHOA.
Speaker 1: Terry Delmonico returns for the first time since season four's Glee. Actually forty four episodes ago.
Speaker 2: Howard Bamboo makes his first appearance since season two's Funeral seventy eight episodes ago, and it marks his final appearance on the series.
Speaker 1: Oh well, almost everybody's final appearance. Yeah. This is only the second episode in the series with the new Miracle title. The first was one hundred and season five.
Speaker 2: Coincidentally, both one hundred and two thousand and nine are the twelfth episodes of the respective seasons.
Speaker 1: Jenna love that it's the only episode of season six in which Roderick and Sam do not appear.
Speaker 2: Sam is notably absent for the first time since the backup Plan thirteen episodes earlier, and that rather.
Speaker 1: For delivery, just his third line of dialogue in the entire series.
Speaker 2: I love seeing him there. That made me really happy.
Speaker 1: Ches Dejoon, he's a part of the Ogs. It's just so funny because man, if I RM, I'd be like, yeah, that's why I left.
Speaker 2: This episode includes the final voiceovers from Artie, Kurt, Mercedes, Rachel, and Tina Oh.
Speaker 1: And Mercedes mother makes her first and only on screen appearance.
Speaker 2: As a result, Tina remains the only original directions member whose parents never appear on the show.
Speaker 1: Shocker two thousand and nine was originally scheduled to air before a wedding, but was ultimately pushed to air with the finale Good choices.
Speaker 2: We also, I know you and I were talking about this beforehand. We also are under the impression that they were debating airing this as the series finale. So having correct the debating which episode would go first?
Speaker 1: Correct, I think it's right. I mean I didn't watch I haven't watched the final episode yet, so I don't know. No, but this feels right to me, right because yeah, I wouldn't want to in the future episode right exactly. We're looking to the future, not looking backwards.
Speaker 2: The episode underwent revisions due to the schedule change. It was initially written by Ned Martel, but parts were rewritten by Ryan Ian and Brad. While the full exon of the changes are known, one confirmed alteration was the inclusion of Blame, who did not appear in the original script.
Speaker 1: I thought that was funny when he turned around. I really like that. The best Kurt is shown sewing on his machine is the same one he airs during his iconic single Ladies performance in Gregor Cute.
Speaker 2: I love all those things.
Speaker 1: I know the Lea dregs.
Speaker 2: So this episode summary Fox again, just like with the airing schedule, they were like, you know what, We're just gonna throw in the summaries as one. We're not going to waste any anytime here. The letters are valuable, so we can only use so many, So they first account the summaries are Glee goes back in time to find out why the original members of the new directions initially signed up for Glee Club. Then Glee flashes forward to see how the characters' lives have progressed five years down the road in the all new special two hour series finale episode.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, it's two thousand and nine and we're filling in the gaps from the pilot, which I love this idea. This was so much fun. I remembered so excited. There were some very iconic looks that need to be recreated. Leah, like no lashes, dark eyebrows, Amber's quintessential Mercedes wardrobe. Oh my god, she looked just as young as she didn't. Monster. It's like, damn, I remember having very much shorter hair at the time we filmed this, and blonde, so they had to spray paint my hair essentially and then throw in extensions then put the blue in, and I remember coming home at night and like, I had to fully shower every night after we shot because there would be black like spray paint all over my pillow, all over my shot. If I didn't. It was like if I rub my hands over my hair, it would be like black on my hands. Anyway, it was really fun, but.
Speaker 2: They put hair out of funds in my bangs because my hair was so much shorter. In truth, I was just losing it. I didn't know that. Yeah, so that's like the swoop isn't really swooping as a shit I ever would have noticed.
Speaker 1: What a great axtension. Kevin and Chris. His hair is usually flipped up at this point. They had to do like the comb over mart like again, and it was just he's just so different looking than he was when he was eighteen, obviously, so he was like the sort of thumb. I think that was like, Okay, this is a flashback, not a recreation, or maybe it is a recreation, but he's still Kurt.
Speaker 2: What I really love, though, is you could see how everybody's acting style has changed or how they play the characters. And I think that's a good thing of the growth of the characters, the maturity of the characters, and how we all go back or revert to, you know, how we originally were doing it where everyone was just like a little more extreme.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was little a tiny bit more satirical, like yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it was really fun to watch Leah original brand Rachel.
Speaker 1: The speed at which she speaks is unmatched.
Speaker 2: The seriousness. There's no irony in anything.
Speaker 1: No, and it's just it's so good, but it's set the tone. And like her and Kurt in the scene in the when they first meet it in the Cafegier Aia, yes, I was like, oh man, this is.
Speaker 2: So let's go through that. They do like a lot of character service here, which is really nice, I think for us personally to like see how not just our own characters, but all the other characters that we love on the show, how they came to be. And we start off with Kurt, which was a little surprising to me.
Speaker 1: They started with that one.
Speaker 2: Well, the depression storyline of this, yes, because but I like it because we know Kurt to be, you know, so strong and strong willed and very much himself. But the likelihood that he was always that way seems like a bit of a stretch, and so we do get you know, him going through school, having a really tough time and looking at these incredible pamphlets outside of Emma's office.
Speaker 1: We needed one more pamphlet, luck, we need of course an old school jamo with like the hand sanitizer. It always like just so good. Yeah, so Kurt's obviously looking at this pamphlet that then sparks uh, Miss Pillsbury's concern to bring Burton, which was a missy Bert, which I was like, please bring in Bert and be concerned about this pamphlet, because like, if we just wash over this, I'll kind of be upset.
Speaker 2: I also thought it was like you know how it's happened in the past where they really sort of work people into an episode just for the sake of working them in, where all of this felt really natural, inorganic, and it felt like a regular Glee episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed. I think that because the pilot was so perfect and flushed out in so many ways, and they had so much time over the sixth the course of six years to get to know us and our characters, like going back, I would imagine that the writers were like this, this is kind of easy because you're literally filling in the blanks, not that there was no like obviously it was brilliant on its own right, but like I can't imagine that you're like, oh, I'm so stumped, like where would Kurt be or where would Tina bee or where you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And knowing which relationships are going to end up working out, yeah, and so being able to build upon those like watching Kurt and Mercedes form their friendship or watching Rachel and Kurt form their friendship, and how she gets him into the glee club, and also the reason why he joins a GLI glee club in the first place is because Burt and courages him to join a team. Like all of those little things are so simple but also so fulfilling. I think as a viewer totally, I just really enjoyed all those puzzle pieces just fitting together perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed. So Kurt promises Bert that he's going to join He's not going to hide in his basement, and he's going to join a club. I think Bert was thinking more along the lines of the football team or like you know, like something like that, but Kurt finds it falls into his lap. Really, he went to the cafeteria. Nowhere to sit the bullies, Puckin' Krowsky. We'll let him sit at the table. So he sits next to Rachel, who's filling out all of her you know, flyers for all of her clubs. And she tells Kurt that mister Sue is heading up the glee club and she's going to test his chops. And so they go to the auditorium and they sing Popular, Adorable. Fun to see popular as a duet, and.
Speaker 2: Like interesting to see which characters they're singing as. I mean, obviously they're splitting it, but like anyway, that's the side point, but I liked seeing Leah sing Yes, those parts, the Kristen parts. I mean, it's all Christian.
Speaker 1: Parts, but you know what I mean, Yes, I know what you mean. I also like to.
Speaker 2: Talk about this Bert Bert here in storyline speaking of everybody sort of going back to how they were playing it before. Obviously that as actors you expect everyone to do that, but it was so startling to see it because you know, he gets called into Emma's office and he's like, I know what this is about, and it's not about that, right, And the way he addresses Kurt or addresses that subject. The depression to Kurt is like a little harsher than he ends up being in a couple episodes time, if this was in sequential order, right, Yes, and so it's so it was so nice, brilliant on his part. Yes, and also just a little jarring. I'm like, oh, Bert is just a little harsh here. He's it's like I'm gonna need you to you know, sort of like the tough dad. But we know he's a big old softie who loves Kurt and really ushers him into like his brave new world coming up shortly.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. Uh Okay, So Kurt, Kurt and Rachel they sing their song. He's joining the Blag Club, or at least attempting to join the Big Club or signing up to audition. Yes.
Speaker 2: But Kurt then sees Mercedes and he's like, I need you to help me and then says some questionable, questionable things about only referencing black singers. Yeah that felt a little Yeah, but we get the start of their friendship, yes, which is nice. Yes, the same thing happened with Rachel and Mercedes. It was all very very questionable, yes, Yes, And we get a lot more Mercedes. We see Mercedes is the big star of her church, and we get into her storyline and she doesn't have many friends at school, so she signs up for glee club, and you know, and now that she's started this friendship with Kurt and she sees him, I mean, you know, partially, I do love the little foreshadow to that she's gonna have a crush on him coming up so cute, but she's like, you dress loudly. You just need your body to reflect that your posture, and you know, all of that. Love it and I love getting to see you know, more Mercedes outside of school. We get to meet her mom.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, so she goes to the church, right, and Rachel's gonna go. She asks to go see her at church. She and Rachel kind of approaches Mercedes because she knows she's got a reputation, that she's got a really good voice, and she's signing up for glue club, right, and that she's going to essentially like they're gonna be competition. Rachel already sees it, so she's like, let's go and let me come to your church. She goes to church. We go to church, Take me to church chamber and she does. I mean she certainly does. She sings song honestly, just one more song like for forever to just like show her chops. I just was like, great, there's nothing else I need. That's a wrap for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She sounds amazing and I love it that Rachel went though. But Rachel is clearly threatened, which we know fuels her yeah, and also threatens her right.
Speaker 2: Like, Mercedes clocks it immediately because Rachel's doing her sort of gas lightly thing that she does where she's like complimenting her and being like, oh, our voices are different, You're gonna be doing this. I'm gonna be doing this, and Mercedes sees through it immediately and it's like no, no, no, no, no no. I can do everything that you can do, right, like don't put me in a box, right, And there lies the crux of their relationship for the rest of the series.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I love the like when you mentioned we meet mercedes mom for the first one, first and only time and her mom kind of clocks the whole uh interaction outside of the church, and then we go to glee club and mister Shu gives Rachel the solo right and Mercedes gets upset, and so she goes home and her mom's like, what's wrong, and so Mercedes like, I'm just gonna quit. I'm just gonna quit. There's no there's no use. I'm not gonna get the solos. I'm not gonna be able to shine like whatever. And what the mom says is so So it really does feel the rest of their relationship or what we're what we've seen in the past of like great being around great people is only going to make you greater. It's gonna drive you, it's going to motivate you. And they really did like they can hold their own again. It's like kind of like the Santana Rachel feod that we loved so much, like they make each other better. So to see Rachel and Mercedes kind of have that competition, sometimes friendly sometimes not in the show like it's it's really I loved that scene with her mom and her It was.
Speaker 2: Really nice and it just it just made me want more time to have more Mercedes and her mom.
Speaker 1: Yes, like I wish I had.
Speaker 2: I mean, also, speaking of you out of Santana is because obviously in the beginning, the Glee Club was just the five of us. It did make me want some more origin stories for everybody else who came in, because it's even though yeah, it was just a few of us in the beginning that wasn't the Glee Club, Like the Glee Club was like the original twelve. Yeah, yeah, exactly, And it feels weird to not get some of it. Like I wanted to see Santana and Quinn in the background, and yeah, I wanted more of that, But I get it. There's only so much time, you know, forty minutes. I know. That's why they rolled our storylines together, right and.
Speaker 1: And look, I think also, which I loved, but also like to then if you know where the end is and you're backing into it and the end is the don't stop with the five yes, yeah, like yeah, of course we're driving your story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that they rolled our stories into one. I did too, so happy, loved and I love doing a voiceover. So Tina is I like this storyline because now we reveal that Tina always knew that the stutter was fake, Like yes, it's like yeah, seasons and like you know, she reveals it obviously in Wheels, But like I was, like, this is just it feels so good, like she had this she was in control.
Speaker 2: You can retroactively fix the story.
Speaker 1: But it was really cute. And I also liked how it was interesting to watch back that story because it's my own, or like Tina's and how they saw it or how they wrote it. Of like her knowing that she could be a big star if she wasn't so shy and like didn't hide behind the stutter, Like there was a confidence about her that people in the audience could see that she always had. She just it was just hiding, you know. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: It was nice to hear from her like that. She's like, I'm goth. I hate everything. I don't want to be liked by anyone whatever. I want to be friends with people who aren't liked And it was it felt really powerful. Tina has always felt powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in the pilot, like I don't think she knew her I don't think I knew her power yet, like in the in the pilot, you know, because I don't think anybody really knew who she was yet.
Speaker 2: But but like the goth of it all, I think it's like drag where it helps you. It gives you that exterior confidence that bleeds into the interior. Yes, and so you definitely had that in the pilot episode, like yeah, I think putting on those clothes and the hair extensions, like you stomped through those hallways and like I kissed the girl was a confident performance. So I remember you like watching the pilot to try to get like the movements down to like figure out how are we going to like match it up again? What was that whole process?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, So it's funny because gosh, shooting the actual pilot was such a blur, or that the audition. The auditions were such a blur.
Speaker 2: Because it felt so impromptu.
Speaker 1: They were so rushed. I mean I think they were like something else got cut. They could fit it in that day. At the end of the day, none of us had rehearsed them. I barely knew the music. I don't think I rehearsed with Brad at all. So like it was very off the cuffin It was like, I guess I'm from theater. I guess this is what I do, Like I just have to go do it. So I think Zach had given me like two or three things. This one was one of them. The finger wave and then obviously the the Groydon hit, which became like the thing. So I remember looking back and wanting to recreate obviously the ones that we did from the pilot, but then also adding in a few other appropriate moves that Tina would have done in that moment of time, and then also just knowing that you were back there and aiding in your you know, watching of me, we added like the little butt thing where she leans over, which is so funny. Yeah, I just I think you just had to, like I just wanted to like dig back into goth Tina, which felt so foreign to me but home and you like step into that costume again. It was so fun to see them like recreate all of that. But yeah, that was really it. I mean it was just fun to like do it at it extended and like an extended version.
Speaker 2: Of it, I mean, like have an intentional version of it that you could actually record, have time to rehearse.
Speaker 1: It, yes, yes, although I'm sure we didn't rehearse it all that much.
Speaker 2: But it's also like you have the edit too, so like you have the edit of the pilot, so there's all that time you're not necessarily shown you can add in all those new.
Speaker 1: Moves, yes, exactly. Now you never got an audition.
Speaker 2: No, I just had to sit down you rock in the boat, which I do like that we see like shee was signing the parts once we're all into the glee club and seeing the scene right before that, which was very cute and fun, and also that that was the day like none of us could keep it together. We shot all those choir room scenes back to back and it was like Leah was out of her mind in a great way because she had some like crazy offensive things to.
Speaker 1: Say, and when she did then they were like I remember her doing that to me and Amber that one line and Amber could Amber not losing it? It was so And then also watching her with that tie on and the best like from the old with the sit down look and like it just was all so it just made me giggle so much.
Speaker 2: If you have somebody sitting there so committed to saying those crazy ass things to you, it is really hard to keep a straight face, it really is.
Speaker 1: And like seeing old Rachel like that, like and where she's how far she's come? Like it was a really a fun day to shoot because Paris was there and I remember there's like a selfie that Paris had tweeted out with us looking in our two thousand and nine loves and like it was just so special. We did the sit down your rock in the boat post and yeah, yeah, there's so that brings you back. That's right that I feel like those scenes in particular really got us back to like physically took me back to a place of sense memory where we were like in rehearsals for the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you also don't know how people are going to react. There's something like getting in the clothes and old makeup and we had all been through so much. You don't know how that's going to feel. I know that sounds very actory, but when you're all in it together and you're back on the sets and it just it just it feels so I wish I wish I could verbalize it better, but it's it was really strange, surreal mind, that is what it was.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: So Artie is in love Atina, has been in love Atina so cute. We know that from the beginning, and in his head he's all like lovey dovey, and then he starts saying, you know, the chovenistic things outside.
Speaker 1: But what what happened with how did Pony come about? Did they? I remember I vaguely remember them asking you what your audition song might have been? Like how did they get to Pony?
Speaker 2: Kelly texted me mm hmmm and was like, what do you want your audition song to be?
Speaker 1: Love that? And had you thought about it before? Well?
Speaker 2: Throughout the entire show it had been like a running thing. I don't know if it was like with Zach or whoever, like Pony would be like Artie's song.
Speaker 1: And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I think because I think probably because I never had an audition song, like what would it most likely be? So I know when Kelly texted me, obviously you don't know if things are going to clear right, if you're going to get the rights. Also, some of the lyrics of Pony are really dirty, and so I just didn't know if that was going to work. But you should, like right, I said, like, it's it's Pony. But here are a couple backups. I wonder if I have I wonder if I have I created a note like in my phone, Oh my god, because then it was like a really big deal, like I was really scared to like mess it up because I'm like, oh, I think they're going to probably pick something I suggest, and I just don't want to get this wrong.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, They're like, if you suggest it, then you should be able to do.
Speaker 2: It right, and I and like it needs to like fit the character. You know, I wasn't the one making character decisions.
Speaker 1: I right, Pony is. It's so right though, and I'm so glad it did clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were texting back and forth and I was I almost regretted sending like an option B, an option C, because I'm like just with I didn't want somebody else to like scandals and be like, oh actually that one. But I mean telling you it was in safe hands.
Speaker 1: So funny it worked out. It's so funny. Also, can we just talk about Okay, So, Pony is it so good? You sound great? It's very funny, how serious you were doing it. We love it. Tina was all about it. Mister Shoe was all about it, which is problematic, but he also was confused by mine, but he liked yours. Well, double standard. Yeah, a girl can be weird, but a boy can be Yeah, a perv and still it's cool. Goodbye, Yeah, but girls be appropriate, don't get it. We're in the cafeteria once again, which again like bring it full circle. We love being a cafeteria. It's like Wheels with Paris directing and the the two other goth like fun characters be Taylor and our two counterparts at our lunch table, who are bullies to Kurt and Rachel. They spilled spaghetti all over them. I'll never forget them in the background with like spaghetti on their heads. We get dared.
Speaker 2: I love that we were. The reason why we end up in the Glee club is because we got dared and the bullderers were like, yeah, oh oh no, don't make me out a super glee club.
Speaker 1: I wasn't already gonna do it. It was so fun.
Speaker 2: I do think it's such like a gift to be able to learn new things about your characters this late into the show and it was just really sweet, Like I love that. I love it too. I also like we were daring these people to go bully Rachel and Kurt.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was an already like let's be like silly and funny kind of thing and.
Speaker 2: Like trying to be cool, trying to.
Speaker 1: Feb they weren't going to do it, and believing they weren't actually going to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get a really you know, the pilot, it's really all about Shoe and Rachel, And we get a lot of you know, Shoe doing the starting up the glee club and we'll get there, but the Rachel of it all. Some of the most memorable parts of the pilot for me are the Rachel storyline and the voiceovers my Space, her person behind it. Yes, all of that fully comes back in this episode. We get more MySpace, we get more bullying comments we have to and like her saying she invested money.
Speaker 1: All of hers for money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was I mean, you know, in the glee club immediately, like we know she assumed she's going to get all the solos and fully has a freak out, and it's it's just nice to revisit to see her again so green and talking about how her dream is to get to Broadway and she's not going to blow it and she's gonna get there, and then we know she does blow it obviously. Yeah, And like having her early connection with mister Shu and being like, look, I'm here, I'm going to be the leader of it. And she gets slushy. We're introduced to the slushyet, yes, and all all of these things again, it's like those puzzle pieces fitting together and seeing her embody Old Rachel was so fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Then obviously we have Finn, which we have to like include him in the pilot. So I love that they did that. I love that they were able to incorporate him without us, you know, them having to like pull ridiculous class.
Speaker 2: And it feeling real because if you have like like the king of the school, yeah, like you're we're not friends with him yet, yeah, he we are not part of his group, and we think he is some other thing. And so I like having all the side conversations and like talking behind the back about Finn felt.
Speaker 1: Very high school. Also, ironically enough, this was kind of the vibe that happened during the pilot. Fully, so Corey getting stuck in Vancouver without his visa, waiting for the visa to come through so that he could come down and start rehearsing so we could start shooting the pilot. We hadn't met him yet, we didn't know who our Finn was. We'd only heard about him, and so it really was the five of us until Corey joined. Yeh, it got came down, and so it was so weird to feel that again in such a different sad way. But like we didn't have Corey for a Finn for a long time, no, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and having all those in between scenes of talking about like do you like how we treated us and all of that, and like we had that. Remember when we first met Corey, he couldn't officially start working yet, but he was in like he came to the studio and so like we met him and then we went back and like he briefed about how we were all friends already. Yes, it was very very very similar.
Speaker 1: Yes, so uh, Kurt is talking to Mercedes about how he's worried that like Finn has quit and like Uh has like quits already and then rejoined. So they call an emergency meeting, which is the choir room that we you know, those wonderful choir room scenes that we have, and then we get like the moving speech from Rachel, which would have been like the moving speech from mister Shue that we would have gotten. Rachel took that, which was really nice and I don't remember filming that part, but I love that and actually reminded me of the scene where mister Shue tells us he's leaving the glee club in the mile.
Speaker 2: I remember because we did, Yeah, those scenes that were just the five of us in the fire room, we did all on the same day, and I remember just like going to change really quick, coming back and doing them, and they because it was just the five of us, because we had all been working together for so long, it was so quick and easy. Paris is quick and easy, and we had like a like a yeah, and like we knew exactly how to play these characters and totally nothing ever felt so locked in as those scenes, like we immediately just like we're back in this is actually two thousand and nine again, but now we have all this experience and we know how to do it. It was almost one of those things where it happened so fast that I wish this choir room scene took longer, yea, so we could like live in it. But we did have Like you said, we had all that opportunity to take photos and sort of like joke around because it was moving so quickly, which was not a luxury we normally had, no I know, so it was nice to be able to just enjoy a bit.
Speaker 1: It was one of the best times of the shooting the two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: The other part of this is the adults, because we get mister Shue finding out that the glee Club is coming back, and he talks to Figgins, we get more Figgins, we get Terry.
Speaker 1: Harry of all when they come around the corner, it is just what a great reveal.
Speaker 2: Oh God, in the craft room and we get sheets and things and Howard Bamboo and Rachel going to sheets and things and talking like come on, and you see I feel like Terry's little speech to her yep, it's the perfect way to sum up her entire motivation for everything. We're like, yeah, it's pretty horrible, but it's like a really grounded yes response. Yes, And you're like, Okay, she's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's why though we love Terry so much, is because that's her whole thing. It's like it's insane, but you're like.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Like I see, I don't agree with it, but I see how you got there.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's sad. And you see from the very beginning how like she's holding shoe back and like Shoe obviously just has the best intentions and how he's already stressed about the infighting and all this, like it's so innocent and like just pure fun that I it was really I you know, we didn't get enough. I think, like Will and Emma in the later stages of this show. Yeah, and there's something so comforting about seeing Terry and Emma and Will all back in their original form. And the craziest thing to me was seeing Sue play Will played basketball together once.
Speaker 1: A week friendship kind of. He's like, we played ball once week. She's like best friends, Like are.
Speaker 2: You kidding me?
Speaker 1: Also the Jane traveling, it's I was absolutely insane, alick so good.
Speaker 2: I love. That's my out of all like the storylines that we see beforehand, you know, like Kurt and Mercedes becoming friends, Kurt and Rachel becoming friends, You and me, Will and Sue is what I needed.
Speaker 1: And the just the inception of the rivalry is so brilliant. It's so brilliant.
Speaker 2: Sue sees the long game of this of if they do well, we're not going to get the funding, and that's all I care about, and she immediately turns them their weekly basketball games with her best friend, yep into the start of the rivalry, and it's really wonderful to see. And I also I believe the first shot of Sue dribbling and shooting is a double and it doesn't even look like her, and it's a really bad wig and I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I honestly like, I think we have to lean into that that we know it's like it's very deaf, yes, yes, so yeah, we see she gives him an ultimatum, she says, drop the glee club or they won't be friends, and he's like, are you kidding? You don't want to make an enemy of me? And that's that's it, that's what we got.
Speaker 2: And then Terry's whole thing of getting him to quit, to go get a different job because she's pregnant all happens within this episode. And so he's leaving and we see how sad he is and everyone doesn't want him to go. All of that, and then we see from his perspective, don't stop believing starting and it works every time, chills.
Speaker 1: Every time, every time, every time.
Speaker 2: So smart just to put it in there. It works, brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 1: I yeah, no notes, no, no notes. So well again, this is such so satisfying to me.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the fans think of this. I would like to know what everybody thinks of this.
Speaker 1: But I'm assuming if you like the pilot and you like to show, you're gonna like this episode.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I just I also felt like it looked more like the pilot, like they made it visually.
Speaker 1: Yes, look, because it was film done film, and the colors were different and you know all the things. But we did it.
Speaker 2: Should we great some performances?
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Popular a A, I'm his child A plus, I kiss.
Speaker 1: Girl a pony A.
Speaker 2: Plus plus all the pluses.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see some tarty tarty takes, uh cringe moments.
Speaker 2: I mean, Rachel says so many racist things.
Speaker 1: Figgins like fan that there's cripples.
Speaker 2: And it's just things you should say galore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, best dance, mooth pony. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I Kissed a Girl has the most iconic.
Speaker 1: It's all.
Speaker 2: I mean, using choreo at all in this episode is a really loose. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes us back to season one. Best song.
Speaker 2: I liked it all.
Speaker 1: I did too. I mean, like, if I had to pick don't stop, I guess would be it. But did you see Leila Fernandez doing taxi camp karaoke? Like yes, don't start and they don't stop me. It was like in the middle of the night or like early in the morning, and I remember watching it without the sound and I was like, I gotta know physically version or not, so I like, turn this south up a little. I was usual Leila for names. Okay, best pormance by a prop I think the pamphlets.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think so too. I missed that. Yeah. I mean there's a lot of props in here, but I think the pamphlets it did something. I got a little flutter in my heart, you know, yes, yes, and that's not an arrhythmia.
Speaker 1: Best lines, oh man, I mean, if we're going the emotional route, the Rachel speech at the end.
Speaker 2: Fair Rachel's saying, Okay, I wouldn't even being miss Sygone or Black Dorothy.
Speaker 1: From the Whiz, that's the one that could. We couldn't stop lamping.
Speaker 2: No, And I think I started laughing during this episode too, well, partially.
Speaker 1: Because we probably we could not keep it together. And when I say could not, like she couldn't get through it and I remember leaving being like you guys, like, let me just get through this, please, because it's hard and it's fast, and she you know, you only want to do that a few times. Like I think we were messing it up for her.
Speaker 2: I know it's terrible, but that might be it for me because maybe the personal memories attached to it. But I couldn't I couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 1: I'm terry saying she's but psychic. Okay performance MVP.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. I mean I feel like we've got to give it to the ensemble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a group effort here, islot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, MVP okay, okay. Shit. We found on TikTok Jenna all right, we got a few. So the real men without hats who famously sang Safety Dance. Someone asked them, what the hell does the girl say in that song? He says, a lot of people think she says and sing and that's incorrect. Even the Glee version says and sing, but it's actually say dance in French.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he talks about Glee. Yeah, so I love Wow, that's cool. As he's standing in front of his wall of records.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, wall of plaquesla okay, and this other one we have.
Speaker 1: No no no no no no no no jig Sue, jig Sau.
Speaker 2: So we got a Jigsue, I too dead And the tattoos are permanent they should have meaning. And it is jig Sue in full bright color.
Speaker 1: Wow, and it's pretty big, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Titty City sixteen, Savannah really really committed to that. I don't have any thoughts on it. I just think you really committed to it, and I appreciate you posting it so in honor of today's episode. The third one is from Ali Blaine every Day Ali on TikTok and it's on the treadmill and it is trying to be trying to be mysterious at the gym when in reality, this is what's playing in my headphones and it's your party version of Pony. I think that's pretty mysterious.
Speaker 1: And also I love to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, so Jenna, that's the penultimate recap.
Speaker 1: Whoa, that's so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't that strange?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us. I really enjoyed that episode. I enjoyed watching that episode.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed it too. Let us know that's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.