Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to your Second Date podcast, and today we've got a brand new awkward Tuesday phone call for you. Yeah, it's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. A lot of neighbor drama, a lot of neighbor drama and mom drama in this one.
Speaker 2: So sit back.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there'll be people in the comments calling out their bad neighbors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: After that, moms that have students graduating and kim relate fact. When I graduated, my mom.
Speaker 1: Goes, oh, was I supposed to throw you a party?
Speaker 2: I tell you get the money?
Speaker 1: Bruh, Like, no, it's cool, party, bounce into other people's house.
Speaker 4: So we're good.
Speaker 3: Mom.
Speaker 1: All right, what do we got for comments, Alexis Yeah, Lexi said, I finally caught up on every episode of the Second Date Update from twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Time remember on to the full show.
Speaker 2: You guys are the best part of my dad twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve, Oh.
Speaker 2: My goodness, how long does that take?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 3: So many and now she had the full show to binge.
Speaker 4: Time you catch up to this year, we're gonna be off the air. Yeah, she's gonna be like twenty five whenever you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no, we do have a full sh know, it's a full hour long if you just want to punish yourself in and get more from us. It's brand new every day, and that's on our main show podcast, which you can see if you hit that More Like Us on Spotify or just search Brooke and Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Yeah's gotten a lot better. You may want to get into the twenty twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sometimes night here at twenty twelves and I'm like.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start this podcast.
Speaker 1: It's your set. Nope, it's not.
Speaker 3: It's your awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 1: It's brand new. It starts right now.
Speaker 2: There's no one more chill, more zen, more easy going than a mom planning a major celebration for her family. Are you with me, jeff Yeah, Okay, I'll admit some mothers can get a little bit uptight, little neurotic in the lead up to something big like this mom. And that's exactly the headspace one of our listeners is in right now because there's one major thing standing in the way of her son's perfect graduation party, and that thing is her next door neighbor. Wow, she needs help working out a deal without completely burning all her neighborly bridges. Oh boy, you're gonna hear it in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call coming out right after this. It's awkward, It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. Remember those old nineteen fifties TV shows where everybody lives in a perfect little suburban community and all the neighbors are friendly and helpful and they let each other borrow cups of sugar and wave from their front porch. Turns out the real world isn't always quite like that like that a lot of the times, it's more like a Cold war standoff where you're desperately trying to get your neighbor to stop parking their old sailboat on their front lawn and you maybe asked them to rotate their creepy garden. No, ma, Armie. So they're not staring directly into your bedroom window.
Speaker 1: But here where I'm front, good news, there is a bomb shelter you can go to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's like four on your block. So the point is it could be super awkward dealing with your neighbors. And that's why one of our listeners has come to us for a little bit of help today. Her name is April, So April, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, how's it Goingay?
Speaker 2: You sound like a friendly type. I am, but apparently something is going on with one of your neighbors that's caused an issue for you. What's happening?
Speaker 3: Yes, so, Okay, my son is graduating from high school and in a couple of weeks we have the graduation party. Okay, and my husband and I like, we're super excited, but there's one thing I'm not excited about.
Speaker 5: And I'm a.
Speaker 3: Little bit stressed out about this.
Speaker 5: Okay. We like our house to look really nice.
Speaker 3: We like to keep everything super queen. Lawn is nice and tidy, the house is painted nice, like, everything looks great.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: And there is a neighbor our next door to us that has not mowed his lawn for I mean, it looks like it's been years and it looks awful, and I'm just kind of embarrassed.
Speaker 1: You're embarrassed by your neighbor.
Speaker 4: You obviously don't have an ho a right or they would have made him cut.
Speaker 1: I love a messy neighbor because it makes me look so put together. I mean, honestly, the more rusted out cars you have in your front lawn, the more it looks like I am top notch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it makes the whole neighborhood like a little worse.
Speaker 2: It makes people coming over being like, oh God, like she bought a house here is I just.
Speaker 3: Think that you're looking at this.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of positive April.
Speaker 2: Why does it bother you so much?
Speaker 3: The thing is is it just makes the whole neighborhood like that, and it just is a reflection on my neighborhood, which I am a part of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you should start the h Okay, it sound like you sound like an h oo a president for sure.
Speaker 5: A couple of things that have happened.
Speaker 3: So I'm a little bit nervous to ask him because there was a time a couple of years ago when he asked me if I could trim one of my trees so that he could have a better view, okay, And I was really slow to get around to it. I eventually did get around to it, but it was definitely not a priority of mine. So I'm just worried that he's going to remember that and be like, I'm not going to mow my lawn anytime soon, or I'm going to wait until the day before or something. I'm just it's really stressing me out. And I'm looking back, I should have definitely gotten to that earlier. I didn't think. Okay, this is come full circle.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like you guys don't have a real close relationship you and this neighbor.
Speaker 3: No, he's nice, he's fine, he's we don't talk or get together. So I just I'm a little bit worried about asking him.
Speaker 5: And I mean, so you.
Speaker 2: Haven't even like reached out to him at all about this. You haven't texted him or anything regarding his No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't know. Maybe there's something going on for why he can't mow the lawn. Maybe the easiest solution is just to offer to do it yourself.
Speaker 3: Did your son go do it?
Speaker 4: They hired someone, but the soun's way better.
Speaker 1: Like he got to be dealing with a sickness, or he could be out of town. Like this could be a lot of different reasons. Why he's a.
Speaker 3: Young, healthy guy. He's he's young and healthy.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're imagining like an old guy.
Speaker 3: I mean I see him outside all the time. You know, he works on his car and he like he works out, and Okay, I just I am not sure what the deal is with this lawn, like why he doesn't keep it up.
Speaker 2: I see, I mean because the thing is, like, normally in this segment we would help people with like their relationship issues, but this is a really relatable problem for a lot of people who have one neighbor who they'd like to ask to like address something at their house. But it's uncomfortable to ask them to do.
Speaker 3: That, right, because it's not your house and not your business.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's like it feels a little judge to be worried about the neighbor's lawn.
Speaker 4: Neighbors can be judgy. My neighbor tried to fight me because I was too loud one night, remember was with a girl.
Speaker 2: So with your awkward call here, you're looking for advice on how to call your nameabor and politely get him to agree to fix up the mess that he's made of his house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would be insulted honestly like that. I think that's probably what you're worried about, right, It's like insulting him and saying that he's not taking good care of him some things.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm I think he should be cleaning everything up. Like, so I'm not worried about me being insulting. I mean, I just want him to do it.
Speaker 4: You should want a relationship with your neighbor.
Speaker 2: They don't seem to talk very much at all.
Speaker 4: And if he's going to do something that you'd like him to do, you may want to focus on kindness or you know, like positivity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and I am I'm going to do that. You're going to host a big party next door and if i'd watch because yeah, and I mean I I have I have signed up all over that he's graduating.
Speaker 5: So it's like.
Speaker 1: It's probably something that doesn't embarrass him, right, Like, you're okay, but.
Speaker 2: Remember they have that. They already have the animosity built up between them from when he asked her to do a favor. Yeah, and she just ignored it for months.
Speaker 4: If she just made a giant sign that says don't look at this lawn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the other sign. They're looking for advice, and you said you are willing to actually doing it yourself or having your son do it for him. Yes, that's a starting point at least, so we can come back. We'll try and think of some advice to give you and let you call your neighbor and force him to clean up his dirty, disgusting front lawn. We'll do it more polite when we do it with your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this, thank you. Hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 5: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. How do you get your neighbor to agree to make changes that you want to their house? Yes, that is a fun pretty normal because a big party is happening for our listener, April, because her son is having a graduation from his high school. He's graduating on his very first try. Oh Man, good for him. Je It's okay, but there's going to be at least fifty people at this party. They're going to be parking all down the street. And the problem is her next door neighbor's front lawn is a total eye sore, so she needs him to cut it clean it up in the next forty eight hours. And it's turned to us for advice on how to have that awkward conversation politely.
Speaker 1: I never knew someone who wanted an HOA before that she does.
Speaker 2: But since she doesn't, we're the closest thing she has broke. What's your advice to her before she calls this guy.
Speaker 5: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty easy, April. I think that what you have to do is you have to invite him to the graduation party over.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that, April?
Speaker 3: I don't think that's a good idea. And he's not part of our friend group. I could make him a plate of food and bring it over.
Speaker 2: He's your neighbor.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have to be part of the friend group.
Speaker 3: He's your neighbor.
Speaker 1: Invite him over, and if he's invested in the party, then he's more likely to help you out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it sounds like they're just acquaintances, Like we're not friends.
Speaker 1: How do you become friends if you don't start somewhere?
Speaker 3: How do you know that I want friends? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And how do we know that this neighbor isn't going to get upset when he finds out the Sun has graduated high school. We don't know if he's graduated. It might hurt his feelings, right, Remember? Okay, so Brooke wants to education shame your neighbor. I don't know if that's great.
Speaker 1: Invite him over.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's over one. Okay, Jose, what.
Speaker 4: Do you think do something that I like to call a neighbor favor for favor.
Speaker 2: No, Jeff, not those favorites. Those could work.
Speaker 1: She said he was young.
Speaker 2: And what's your advice, jose Focus.
Speaker 4: You tell him that you have a favor to ask him, and if he says yes, then you will do any favor that he would like from you within reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, you get like a pre prom What do you think about that, April, I'll mow your lawn if you mowed mine.
Speaker 3: I like that neighbor favor for what is it.
Speaker 4: Called neighbor favor for favor? Trademark patent pending.
Speaker 2: Somebody told me you're.
Speaker 3: Not gonna like whatever favorite he asks.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even want to make reason. He would even come to the party.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't even invite into your house.
Speaker 2: Brook, You just got owned in your advice by I win. Education doesn't always win, brother, Okay, Brook, just be quiet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, I'm actually a good neighbor.
Speaker 2: Okay, you need to swallow your pride right.
Speaker 4: Now, marinate in that bird own you.
Speaker 2: You're reflecting poorly on our entire show. So let's call this this guy.
Speaker 1: I'm growing my grass out in protests.
Speaker 2: Okay, you already do we know? Okay, here we go. I'm gonna die your neighbor for you. What's his name, by the way, April, Matt. Okay, we're calling him right now. We'll step in if we feel like you need a little help. But you got this all right, gotcha? Okay, good luck?
Speaker 5: Boo.
Speaker 1: Hi Matt.
Speaker 3: This is April, your neighbor right next door. How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing well, what's going on? What's what's up? What's the call? Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean I I just you know, checking in and haven't seen you out doing much lately, So I just concerned and stuff.
Speaker 5: And you're calling for welfare check on your.
Speaker 3: System, I mean, not not not so much on you, but more on your lawn. So, I mean I was just curious, like, so, well.
Speaker 5: Now, what did you just say about my wom Well.
Speaker 3: We noticed your lawn has been very overgrown, and I think it's overgrown. Huh yeah, yeah, I mean just just it's not super bad, but it just doesn't look like it's been a mode for a really long time.
Speaker 5: Two weeks ago. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Did you? It's it's just really overgrown with this Yeah, you keep saying it's overgrown. But it's not.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if you look at it compared to any other other houses in the neighborhood, it's very different.
Speaker 5: You know, just get to the point, what do you need?
Speaker 3: Well, just hoping that you know that you would be able to kind of get it mode, because I have a big graduation party coming up for my son and all right, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Can do anything. I can get to it in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, so the graduation party is in like three days.
Speaker 5: So what I seem to remember a favor that I asked of you a while back, and it took me about a year to do it. Do you remember that branch I asked you to cut?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And I am so sorry about that. I am so sorry. That was absolutely yeah. I mean just so you know, like if you would have had a party or something happening, I absolutely would have done it right away.
Speaker 5: That's all I need to say. I got a freaking party going on over here for you to cut a branch, Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: If it was something that was like pressing, of course, of course I would, you know, And like if there's any favor, like what neighbor favor for a favor if you have something that you need done.
Speaker 5: I will help you.
Speaker 3: Like but then reason of course, like if you need.
Speaker 5: What did you just say, a neighbor favor for a fit? What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, neighbor favor for a favor?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean? Could we could start right now with an apology for the branch? Okay?
Speaker 3: And I said I was sorry, you know I did say it again. I'm sorry. I'm very sorry. I am It's true. I should have gotten to that earlier, and in the future that will be different.
Speaker 5: All right, Well it was pretty good, I guess. I guess it can wear something out.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Well, what I'm thinking is maybe if you, you know, if you guys want to come over cut my lawn for like six months or so, we can work something like that out.
Speaker 3: Wait, you want us to come and cut your lawn for six months?
Speaker 5: Well, doesn't have to be all of you, just one of you.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're taking advantage of the situation here. This is kind of silly, or I mean, I said, within a reason.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe we just talked it over your graduation party after you invite me to it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 3: What the hell is that is not I don't think that that's gonna happen. I can bring you over a plate.
Speaker 5: She's going with this, but yeah, wait, what is what is going on?
Speaker 2: Hey? What's up, Matt. You're on a radio show right now called Broke and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 1: We're just handling neighbor relationships, right yeah.
Speaker 5: Wait a month I'm on the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a second movie called Awkward Tuesday phone Call, and your neighbor April reached out to us for help regarding the whole lawn situation.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to this whole time.
Speaker 1: That's aggressive fighting.
Speaker 4: I've heard it a long time, bro six months.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, you don't got to do that to her.
Speaker 3: I'm kind on his side.
Speaker 5: I was just kidding.
Speaker 4: Oh is that you Now you're on the radio and there's like millions of people listening.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, that's just my sense of humor. I was joking the whole time.
Speaker 2: One of those like angry I'm gonna yell at you sense of humor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Come one.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that he was joking with you the whole time?
Speaker 3: I'm so earlieved he he's joking, tonnyhow I didn't believe that before.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 2: I think she's being sarcastic. I think it's sarcastic. Weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys are not communicating well in your neighborhood.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're absolutely right. I think that at the end of the day, I do want to have good neighbors. I wish we had an hoa, but we don't. I can have my son come over and mololwan if he needs that. It's totally fine for.
Speaker 4: Six months your son.
Speaker 3: No, No, for what like one time?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so Matt, you work here.
Speaker 5: No, I was kidding that whole time. Don't even worry about it. I'll do it today. I'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: Wait now, I mean don't do it. He didn't know he was on the radio. Give him a break. Okay, this is his radio personality is compensating. What about the invite to the party.
Speaker 1: I actually think you should go to the party.
Speaker 2: I thought that from the very beginning that would be all you're.
Speaker 3: A And he said he was kidding about everything, even coming over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I heard that. You said you'd make me a food plate. I will take that. I would love to bring you a food plate.
Speaker 3: Totally fine, looking up.
Speaker 2: This is good neighborly compromise, good communication. All we wanted to get out of this was a mode lawn. And it sounds like now your son doesn't even have to do it for him, He's gonna do.
Speaker 5: It in shand exactly.
Speaker 3: It's perfect, smallest.
Speaker 4: Plate ever made for.
Speaker 1: Here's one kernel of corn and a single potato from the salad.
Speaker 2: Noodles. So generous.
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm gluten free, so just be cool about that.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: It's freaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 2: And look at that. We're helping neighbors come together, one conversation at a time.
Speaker 1: I am so glad I don't live in that neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, I hated it on the other side of her house. You don't like all the passive aggressive threats.
Speaker 1: I hated it all, And like, why she didn't just talk to you with person? I don't understand that with people.
Speaker 4: This is how petty I noticed they both were, was that she is telling him to cut his lawn. He cut it two weeks ago, I was imagining, and he does like a slightly.
Speaker 1: Long your ankle. He is still hanging onto that brand so hard that branch upset him so much.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but the bottom line is we stepped in and we fixed it. Okay, everything is better now. So if there's anybody out there who's been stealing from their neighbor taking secret pictures of their able through a bathroom window that's in that realm, we can help you. I want you to reach out to us. After you listen to all of the other awkward calls that we have up on our YouTube at Brook and Jeffrey, check those out, and then send us those pics that you took.
Speaker 3: We were going to get to the picture.
Speaker 2: It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.