Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: These companies have consolidated a historic amount of economic and political power, just like the empires of old. You do not need to unlock the benefits of AI through a corrosive approach. So why are we not holding these companies to those higher standards?
Speaker 1: Karen Howe, who says the AI industry is a reckless race for global domination, I think you do have a problem with the people at the top. Right.
Speaker 2: We often obsess over the cast of characters at the top, who's the good guy, who's the bad guy, who's the less bad guy? And what I'm saying is that's not the only option. We shouldn't have to live with companies that are so vastly powerful, where one person at the top is able to decide all these things.
Speaker 1: From Bloomberg Weekend. This is the Michelle Hussein Show. I'm Michelle Hussein. I don't know if you at the point that you tap a prompt into Chat, GPT or CLAWD, Gemini, Microsoft co Pilot, whatever you use, if you ever stopped for a moment and wonder how the data got there in the first place. I suspect you don't. Few of us do. These AI tools have been revolutionary in the last few years in the way that so many of us have changed how we work or how we learn. But Karen Howe, who's talked to me for this episode, wants us all to step back and to really think about what the process involves. That is, not only the land used for the data centers, the water, the energy involved, but the actual process of gathering and preparing the data, where it comes from. Who does the work in putting it together. Karen trained as a mechanical engineer and then did work in Silicon Valley before turning to journalism. She's written a book called Empire of Ai, and it's that use of the word empire to describe the top AI companies that I ask her to explain right at the start of this It started, I think, when she spent a few days inside Open Ai observing them. They were not a well known company at the time she wrote about them in a less than flattering way. Today, it is safe to say that there is no love lost between Karen Howe and the top execs of the AI world, and you'll get a sense of that in my written notes that accompany this conversation. As ever, you'll find them at Bloomberg dot com. Forward slash Michelle, you'll get the backstory to this conversation and what I followed up on afterwards. Karen and I in London, where there was something on the table that caught her eyes she came into the studio. It's a different way that I make notes ahead of a conversation, with a spider's web style diagram that reminds me what I really need to cover. So that moment between us is where this begins.
Speaker 2: I love this mind map. Do you do this? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do do this.
Speaker 2: This is awesome.
Speaker 1: I do this, but I wish my writing was a little bit Nita.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so me. I can just about.
Speaker 1: I can just about, but no, it helps me. But I never did it before this show began.
Speaker 2: I'm always so fascinated by the format in which people take notes, because it really is such a window into how they they think. Yeah, and I'm such a linear thinker that diagram confuses me.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So what does this reveal about me that I think in a I don't think in a linear way, in a non linear way.
Speaker 2: Way I think, which I think is probably a lot more information done.
Speaker 1: Essentially it's what enables recall because you know you don't want to be referring to it too much as whatever helps imprint it in your in your brain. So at least I feel it's hope question very good. You're reading upside down now? Yeah? Okay, Well, Karen, I would love to start with your own words, because you write in Empire of Ai that over the years you found only one metaphor that encapsulates the nature of what these AI power players are, and that is empires not engaged in overt violence and brutality, as we know from history, but they too seize and extract precious resources to feed their vision of artificial intelligence. Now, that is a real attack on the companies behind some of the defining tools of our age. What is it that's made you feel so strong?
Speaker 2: These companies have consolidated historic amount of economic and political power, and they are becoming fast the supreme powers in the world, just like the empires of old. And they do this through the dispossession of resources, labor value from the majority. They claim to resources that are not their own, the data of individuals, the intellectual property of artists, writers and creators. They exploit an extraordinary amount of labor through both the workers that they use and exhaust to produce their technologies as well as the workers whose jobs get automated away by the deployment of these technologies. So there is this category of work that is involved in the production of these technologies, including content moderation, including the labeling and cleaning of training data. That's called data work. That kind of work is now the number four fastest growing work in the US. And the types of people who are doing this work are scientists, lawyers, college graduates, PhD graduates, and they are essentially providing their knowledge and their expertise to the training of these models, but under deeply exploitative, poorly paid conditions where they are not working nine to fives. They are in their homes waiting for work to arrive. They never know when it's going to arrive. They never know when it's going to go away. They're being pitted against each other. You know, I've been covering this kind of work for almost eight years now, and it's the same story again and again with every single community that it hits. You see the same exact patterns of exploitation.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that we should be thinking about the exploitation of labor at the point that we're using clawed or chatt GPT.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So other industries have had similar problems. The fashion industry also engaged in a lot of labor exploitation and a lot of environmental degradation. The answer was never let's just get rid of clothes altogether. The answer was always let's hold ourselves to higher standards in producing clothes without those problems.
Speaker 1: It's still work, though, isn't it. And there are so many communities where in different parts of the world there is an absence of work altogether. I just want to ask you whether you think that there are definitely challenges in this industry and your work really details them and deconstructs them. But is there an aspect of this that is about the challenges of our age that it's not necessarily more exploitative than what's gone before. It's the problems of our time.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to what you were saying that it is work though, because what is happening with this US case now is that the people are actually people that are highly educated and could have gotten full time employment, but the reason why they do not have access to better work now is also because of the AI industry.
Speaker 1: Taking away jobs.
Speaker 2: It's because of the way that the AI industry designs its technology and sells it as a tool for automating knowledge work. And so there's a shrinking job market for the unemployed population in the US twenty five percent of them our four year college degree holders. That's a historic record. And so it's not actually just giving work to people who don't have work. It's actually degrading the work opportunities that exist right now, taking knowledge workers out of a full time employment kind of situation into a gig work kind of situation.
Speaker 1: What do you say to a country like Malta, which has just signed a major agreement with OpenAI where everyone who lives in Walta is going to get free access to chat GPT plus for a year. They're going to go on a course to learn how to use it. And the government of Malta is very proud of this agreement because it says it puts Malta at the full front of the digital age.
Speaker 2: I've met a lot of policymakers from developing countries, from smaller countries that do see themselves as they can only participate in this revolution if they offer themselves up for sale just because you know, the government is proud of this partnership and they think that this is what gives them the seat at the table, that it's actually leading to their citizens having a more dignified life.
Speaker 1: But their government would see it as equipping them for work, or access to knowledge or everything else that they will need to use large language models for.
Speaker 2: I would argue they are being exploited, and I would be curious what the multi people think, not what the multi government thinks. And the reason why I think they are being exploited is because they are having their data harvested to train the next generations of models. And that's you know, that's why these companies are going out and striking these partnerships. They need more and more and more data. They need more and more and more data centers to produce their technologies. And one of the challenges when it comes to searching for different sources of data is that they have run out of Internet data. They've run out of high quality Internet data, and so now one of the best sources of high quality data is straight from the user. And so if they can strike these whole of country partnerships, I mean you get a whole of country database to upload freely all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of thing like everything that's if I was part of it, it would be everything that's on my phone, which is which is.
Speaker 2: Every Yeah, everything you used. You know. Some people think of this as just oh, well I was using Google. I was, you know, saying a lot of things to Google and personal data as well. But I mean, I've never seen people upload their medical files to Google to ask for an interpretation of it. But people do that with CHATGBT, with Gemini, with Claude, and that's intimate medical information.
Speaker 1: Is there no positive side of it for you, Karen? Like that uploading of medical data, if it's done with consent, isn't it part of the progress of science. You might get something that troubles you diagnosed, or you might be part of helping wid diagnosis.
Speaker 2: What I have problems with is the fact that it is in the hands of deeply powerful companies that have absolutely no accountability to the people that they're actually affecting around the world. And this is why I call them empires. That's the governance structure of an empire. You at the top are able to make hundreds of decisions in a day that then have cascading effects on billions of people around the world, and there are no formal mechanisms by which those billions of people can actually challenge, contest, provide feedback. That's why we've historically moved from empires to democracies, because democracies are these institutionalized ways for people to say when they like something, when they don't like something, and how they want to collectively govern and self determine their future.
Speaker 1: Are you actually saying that the power of these companies is greater than the power of governments.
Speaker 2: They are definitely increasingly becoming that way, which.
Speaker 1: Means even the US government, the most powerful country in the.
Speaker 2: World, I would say so. I mean, when there was the recent spat between Andthropic and the Department of War, the Department of War used the nuclear option to try and get a company to fall in line, which is to threaten to declare this company as a supply chain risk, which would.
Speaker 1: Affect its work right across the US government.
Speaker 2: The company Anthropic still did not fall in line.
Speaker 1: But isn't that because it did well in another way. It took the moral high ground, and maybe we can talk about that a bit later, but it got lots more users from the pr of that momentolutely.
Speaker 2: One in the situation, both pr and in the SPAT. What I'm saying is this was a moment that demonstrates that these companies can, in fact have more power than the US government. They are will to actually go against the US government because they know that whatever penalty comes at them from the government might actually be counterbalanced by the other benefits that come directly to the company.
Speaker 1: By profit elsewhere. So tell me, then, Karen, what is the answer, Because I know there's a call to action in your book. You clearly think that things can be and should be done another way. What are you hoping for? And do you think a figure like the Pope, like a unique figure way outside the sort of government policy realm, is the kind of person who might provide some kind of roadmap here.
Speaker 2: I think it's important for all leaders in society, whether religious or otherwise, to be thinking about these questions and thinking about how to ultimately protect human agency at a time when the way that Silicon Valley conceives is this technology is in fact threatening it. And we've seen Popelio be quite strong on these issues and identify early on in his papacy that this is a particular issue where he is deeply concerned about the pathway of technology development undermining human dignity. And to go to your question of what is actually the answer here, I mean, one of the things that I always say is AI is like the word transportation, transportation refers to everything from bicycles to rockets, and in the same way, AI refers to a very vast collection of different technologies, some of which are designed kind of like rockets. They're very resource intensive and they exact a lot of cost to produce, and so in general, we only deploy rockets for a very narrow subset of transportation needs. We never go around and say every single person should have a rocket and use that rocket for every single one of their transportation needs. That would destroy the environment, and it would also just be really inefficient and probably not actually get people to places faster because of the amount of time it would take to boot up the rocket. And so what I suggest is in my book and throughout my other work, is that we need to shift our portfolio of AI technologies to better reflect the kinds of specialized AI that we in fact need to tackle real societal challenges, things like improving healthcare and accelerating drug discovery. Deep Minds alpha fold it is an example of a system that I call a bicycle of AI. It is a system that predicts with high accuracy how an amino acid sequence will fold into a protein structure. This is really important for accelerating the understanding of human disease and then designing drugs to target those diseases, and it won the Nobel Prize for chemistry. This is a technology. Even though it's called AI and Chatchibt's also called AI. Deep Mind's alpha fold is one that is fundamentally different from how chatchebt is produced and how it operates. It uses very little data, it uses very little computing resources, and there's so hewpful and there's no need for labor exploitation either, and it's still able to provide a lot of benefits. So my question is, when you look at the portfolio of AI technologies, wouldn't you want to pick the ones that have great benefit very little cost. Why would you want to pick the ones that have very great costs? Right?
Speaker 1: But these are value judgments, right, And something that you think has no value, someone else might like. Let's take AI in defense. We know already that many armies use it for targeting and the use of weapons. You and I might see that as wrong. Others might see that this is necessary defense. It's part of the defense of your realm, and if you're not going to do it through the tools of our age, then you're going to fall behind and the bad actors, terrorists, bad governments, whatever are going to get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a particularly controversial issue where people fall in different places. But what I'm arguing is there's many different ways to produce AI. You do not need to unlock the benefits of AI through a corrosive approach. So why are we not holding these companies to those higher standards.
Speaker 1: I'm conscious that both anthropic and open AI are heading towards public offerings of their shares. Is that a moment that you think could bring greater accountability, that once a company is public and it's got all kinds of investors and it's got annual general meetings, that a level of scrutiny that is lacking comes in a useful one.
Speaker 2: I do think it could be. I am hopeful that it could be, because when companies become public, they do institute more government structors. But I Laigh this critique on existing public companies as well. I call Google, Amazon, Microsoft empires of AI as well. I do think that ultimately governance needs to come from the public and from publicly elected officials as well, not just the market forces and not the founders.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you don't have faith in the actual people running these companies. A lot of your book is about open Ai, and Sam Mortman in particular. Tell me the story of how you got to know him and the company back in the beginning of this work.
Speaker 2: I started covering AI in twenty eighteen for MIT Technology Review, and that is a publication that focuses a lot on fundamental AI research. So I was reading scientific papers every week, talking with researchers at universities and corporate labs and open Ai. You know, it became part of my radar because at the time it was a nonprofit fundamental AI research lab, and it was one of the only ones. There was open Ai, then there was Google, then there was deep Mind and just a few others, but that was kind of it. And so in twenty nineteen I proposed to open Ai that there were a lot of changes happening at the organization. They had just created a for profit arm they'd just gotten a big investment from Microsoft, that maybe they wanted to reintroduce themselves to the public, and I suggested that if they were interested in that, I could profile them. So I went to the corporate offices and embedded within the organization for three days, interviewed a lot of employees and executives, including Sam Wltman. Sam Wtman was actually not very important at the time, so no, because he had just officially become CEO. He was previously just co chairman and didn't really have much to do with the organization at all. And so they set up interviews for me with Greg Brockman, the chief technology officer, in Ilios Setskaver, the chief scientist, who were the main runners of the organization's day to.
Speaker 1: Day and they didn't like the profile you wrote.
Speaker 2: They did it, they they did not.
Speaker 1: You said at that time that there was a misalign between what they were actually doing and their promises. What was it that made you say that? What did you see that led you to that.
Speaker 2: At that time? The misalignment that I saw was they're called open a eye for what they said was a commitment to transparency, and this organization was already deeply secretive, and I noticed this culture in the way that employees were very very nervous about what they said to me and where I was allowed to go within the offices. So that seemed already quite bizarre. And they also said as a nonprofit that they would never commercialize their technologies, and.
Speaker 1: Now, of course they're fully for profit, which is the source of the case that collapsed between Elon Musk and Sam Ortman. Is Elon Musk then the good guy in this for you?
Speaker 2: No? No? I mean, here's the thing. I think we often obsess over the cast of characters at the top, and we're always trying to think, like, who's the good guy, who's the bad guy, who's the less bad guy that I'm able to settle with? Because that's all the option set there is. And what I'm saying is that's not the only option set. We shouldn't have to live with companies that are so vastly powerful where one person at the top is able to decide all these things. It's a governance structure that's the problem. It's not that I think the problem will be solved if we just swap out one of these characters for one another. Or for a new person.
Speaker 1: But I think you do have a problem with the people at the top, right or certainly the small number of people at the top, And you kind of know the world that they came from because you were part of that same world. You went to MIT work for a startup. This could actually have been the industry of your life. It could have been reporting from the outside. So I get the impression that you do have a problem with these characters.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do have a particular problem with the culture that they're steeped in and the ideologies that they have, because it's an imperialist ideology. I mean, you know Sam Altman said before he stepped into his position as CEO of Opening Eye, who's the president of y Combinator, and he said, I'm going to invest in ten x more companies year after year until I invest in every company under the sun. And there's this kind of sense of all the people that are steeped in that Silicon Valley culture which I was a part.
Speaker 1: Of, which was pretty young at the time, though maybe it was hubris foolishness.
Speaker 2: Except that it's echoed through the way that he approaches Opening Eye strategy. Lets scale the models tenx more every year until we have reached the scale of the human brain. You know, like He's always thinking in these kinds of terms, and all of them are thinking in these kinds of terms of let's just keep scaling and scaling and scaling and its growth at all costs. And that is very particular to the culture of Silicon Valley innovation right now. So I do have a particular problem with the culture and with the people that have grown up in that culture. And also I don't think that the fundamental issue that I'm articulating in this book will be solved by simply swapping in another person.
Speaker 1: Are there any less bad guys? Like do you think Anthropic is a more principled company than Open AI? No, even though it stood up to the Pentagon.
Speaker 2: So interestingly, Dario amade Ceoanthropic said that he actually did not have issues with full autonomous weapons. In fact, he believed that this was a technology where the US probably should keep up. The problem was simply that he didn't want this version of Claude to be used for that.
Speaker 1: And claud has been used in AI assisted targeting, It's been used in Iran. I think it's reportedly been used on the raid on Madua and Venezuela as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Are you also following the Chinese AI players Deep Seek and other companies like that very very loosely? Do you believe that they behaved for le or do you accuse them of imperialism?
Speaker 2: Also, it's really interesting they do behave differently because of a very particular reason. So when chat Gibt first came out, all of the Chinese tech giants did the same thing as the the other US tech giants, which was try to make their own version of Chatchibt. I was at the Wall Street Journal at the time, so it was actually right before Chatgibt came out. The US government used this mechanism called export controls to block Chinese companies from getting access to the most cutting edge AI computer chips, and those are the ones that are designed by Nvidia, And so all of a sudden, the entire country of China and these Chinese companies faced an enormous constraint on one of the core resources that US companies were using to supercharge their AI development. So Chinese companies had to take a different route. They were not able to scale the same way that the US s companies were, and that I think is what led to deep Seek. Deep Seek was an example of a Chinese company figuring out how to develop the same capabilities of AI these AI models, but for a significantly less fraction of computational resources. Deep Sek illustrates the exact point that I'm making that it is in fact possible to produce AI different types of AI and also the same exact kind of AI with significantly less resources and therefore have a much less corrosive impact on community and planetary health. So why are we not doing that?
Speaker 1: But ultimately, are you more comfortable by the leaders in this industry being from the United States rather than from China, even though you think there's a lack of governance, do you still think the fact that you and I can talk about the US players these companies in the way that we are, that there is again a degree of scrutiny and accountability which is entirely absent in China. On that field, I think there's.
Speaker 2: A tendency a lot in the media to assume that the race is between US and China, between nation states rather than open versus closed models, And for me, I feel much more comfortable developing an open source ecosystem around AI innovation, and I feel comfortable if that open source model is coming from China or if it's coming from the US, because it's open, it's scrutinizable, it's something that can be audited, it can be improved on and built upon by many researchers and scientists around the world. Closed models simply don't do that. And there are plenty of open source models coming out of China as out of the US, but also the major dominant players that I critique are all.
Speaker 1: Closed and they've ended up being the most successful ones.
Speaker 2: I mean, it depends on how you define success.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, fine, fair enough. I want to ask about you as well, Karen, because you've clearly devoted a huge amount of time and energy to your work in this area. And I know that you said like you were looking for some kind of service in your life, like what would you do with your life? Do you think this is your mission that pointing out the flaws in these companies, digging into this critical industry of our time. Have you found your mission in this?
Speaker 2: I would say my mission has always been to ensure that everyone is able to live a dignified life in this particular moment. I see the AI industry and its approach to I development deeply challenging the ability of people around the world to live dignified lives, and so I'm focusing on holding them accountable. But that doesn't necessarily mean that, you know, for the rest of my life, I'm just going to be fixated on this thing because hopefully it won't be a problem.
Speaker 1: Would you ever work for one of these companies? No, categorically no. I mean it's a big thing to say no. Never too, not least because of the massive amount of money that are involved these days in the way that they recruit.
Speaker 2: If I orchestrated my life around money, I wouldn't be a journalist.
Speaker 1: So are there other players than perhaps the smaller ones where you do see principle where you can imagine perhaps being tempted to work for them. We had Fay Failure on the podcast a few months ago, and she clearly feels very strongly about values and the most important thing is that you're a person with values and you bring that to your work, and that that's the answer.
Speaker 2: When I say that I'm not willing to work for any of these companies, I'm talking about them persevera. I'm not talking about literally all AI companies that could ever come to pass. I think if there were companies out there that started focusing on the kinds of problems that I think are important to solve, and also are developing AI with an approach towards protecting human agency, sustainability and so forth, then yeah, I would happily consider I mean, not that I think I would be a very good asked that to them. I think I'm better off being a journalist. But that's what I meant. I mean. In fact, in my epilogue of my book, I talk about a nonprofit organization called Tahiku Media that built this AI speech recognition tool for the Todeo Maori language language of the indigenous people in New Zealand, and they have a really beautiful story around how they went about developing their AI model. They went to their community and first asked, do you even want this tool? We think that it would help with revitalizing the Maori language. We can open up our archives of all of this Todayo Maudi that they had recorded as a radio station for over thirty years, and you'll be able to listen to that audio. You'll see the transcriptions. You can click on the words and get translations automatically. But they were like, also, we recognize that speech recognition tools can be used to surveil our community as well, And it was only through participation with the community and the consent of the community that they then start developing this technology. They only used two computer chips to train their model, and this is just a totally different approach. And so you know, if the Eucomedia we're hiring, I'd be like, sure, why not.
Speaker 1: And the fact that you respond as passionately as you do to an example like that, do you think that is to do with your own heritage and the fact that being Chinese American you have been able to see the world from at least two angles through what you've seen from your parents and growing up.
Speaker 2: In the US. Yeah, I do think so. I think that growing up Chinese American made me realize that there's always many, many signs to a story. There are always many worldviews and many value systems by which you can approach the world. And when I see one particular narrative, one view of the world, really monopolizing the conversation, saying this is how it's going to be, This is the way that the world works. It just makes me question, well, what are the other stories that are not being told? Who are the other people that are not at the table, that don't get a voice to contest and challenge this dominant narrative.
Speaker 1: Finally, Claude or chat GPT, what do you use neither? Really? What is the alternative in your life?
Speaker 2: None? My mind?
Speaker 1: You don't, okay, but you do. You do Google searches obviously, of course, but you don't at all, And you don't feel it holds you back, You don't feel.
Speaker 2: I feel it actually liberates me.
Speaker 1: That is quite inspiring to hear, Karen. How I'm going to think more about that and much else that you've shared. Thank you so much, Thank you so much for having me. And that's where we left things as we liberated Karen from the studio, and I hope you found her as thought provoking as I did. I want to add one note to the discussion on Malta, where all residents over fourteen can do an AI literacy course and get free access for a year to either Chat, GPT plus or Microsoft three six y five Personal Copilot. Karen said people in Malta were having their data harvested to train the next generation of models, and we put this to OpenAI and to Microsoft. OpenAI directed us to users being able to opt out of having their data used for training. Microsoft said we do not train on data from users of Copilot within Microsoft three sixty five apps with personal subscriptions. Karen also said she'd liked to know what the people of Malta think rather than the government. A recent survey suggested more than fifty percent of Maltese expect AI to have a positive impact on their lives over the next decade, and that was above the EU average. It is also worth noting Sam Altman's own perspective in something that he said in a blog post a few months ago. He wrote, the fear and anxiety about AI is justified. We are in the process of witnessing the largest change to society in a long time and perhaps ever. He added, AI has to be democratized. Power cannot be too concentrated. This, by the way, is just one of several conversations that we've had on the show that relate to AI. So in the show notes you'll find links to episodes with Mustapha Suliman of Microsoft AI. He gets pretty evangelical about what AI personal assistance can do. And you can also contrast that with signals Meredith Whittaker, who is having none of Mustapha's AI can buy your Christmas presents. And there's the conversation with fay Fei Lee, the so called godmother of AI, where she describes the light bulb moment when she understood how images could be gathered into a data set to train AI. And with that my final note which is on the team. The producers are Jessica Beck and Chris Martlouth. The video producer is Andy Haywood. Our social media is by Alex Morgan and the music is composed by Bart Walshaw. The audio mixing was by Richard Ward. Our executive producer is Louisa Lewis and at Bloomberg Weekend, our thanks to Brendan Francis Newnham and our executive editor Catherine Bell. Until next time, goodbye,