Speaker 1: On today's episode, coming from very sweaty San Diego Comic Con, we are here talking about Lantern's renewed seasons of some of our favorite shows, Adult Avatar, A Gang, and The Wolverine Game. Hello, lovely listeners, my name is Rosie Knight and I'm Joel Monique, and welcome back to xtra Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. We are here at iHeart Podcast, where we'll be bringing you three episodes a week, plus news on Saturdays.
Speaker 2: In today's previously on episode, we're catching up on the biggest geek news of the weekend. Asterisks. We're recording this on Saturday. We're gonna try in the middle of the day, but we're gonna try to get you guys some more of the late night Saturday early Sunday news as it comes out. But as of what we have now in front of us, we've got some big trailers, Rings Power trailer, we got a lot, just so much information about the new Lantern series coming up on HBO, plus some Avatar stuff. So yeah, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it, Okay, So let's start with Lantern's There was a big Lanton's activation here at San Diego. You could actually go and train to be a Lantern. You could get Lanton rings. I saw one of my friends, Morgan Hampton, who writes Green Lenton currently Green Lantern Corps.
Speaker 3: They went there. Looked like he had a great time.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of information about this Joelle. We know it's gonna be the buddy cop true detective series. Aaron Pierre, Kyle Chandler, Damon Lindon Loft, Tom King behind it.
Speaker 3: What's very interesting.
Speaker 1: To me here is not only do we learn that Sinestro is going to be in it, and that Laura Linny will also be starring as some kind of galactic guardian scream you know we love that.
Speaker 2: But clean a guardian. I Yes, we love Lauri, Yeah.
Speaker 3: We love her. Also, Aaron Pierre said, she's like an auntie.
Speaker 1: She's a phenomenal artist and creative and we were massively blessed to have her Grayson presence and her talent, which I love.
Speaker 3: There was also some footage in the room.
Speaker 1: We didn't get in their whole hsad to get into, but it seems like there was a Red Lantern intervention.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of conversation coming out all.
Speaker 2: Right, moving on television, bigger, better than ever we got, and we got some new trailers, so some announcements and some trailers we wanted to do before we got into some specific ip we're excited to see. So first Vampirelist that came back, everyone was kind of shocked because it's the end of the series. Typically you don't do a lot of promo after your series has ended. I think the last year when they were here, huge reaction from the fan base. I think the reaction here is what inspired them to do a live show later in New York, definitely, so you can get an announcement that season four is coming down the pipeline and it's not a Part two of the Vampirelist, that it's going to be Queen of the damn. They gave us the most hardcore feminist command eating like Goddess Rising trailer of my personal human existence. I thought it was amazing. I'm really excited for it.
Speaker 3: Literally, so crazy, so timely.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm usually very wary of anything that does this like chromosomal genocide stuff, because it is often very transphobic. But I think this show is so fucking tapped into the queer community that I think that is going to be the big push behind why this is an issue is I think that's actually going to be the thing, is that Akasha is going to imagine that all women are women biologically or whatever, and the stat and Louis and like the modern vampires are going to be like, bitch, that's not how it works.
Speaker 3: And I think that.
Speaker 1: Actually could be a big pushback against you know, the Great Conversion, all this kind of crazy genocide.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean it looked incredible.
Speaker 1: Joe. I've watched it like fifty times. She let him come get your delicious gems and jewels that you deserve. And also, I actually kind of love this because I think a lot of people felt like this was going to be a push for Sam's like award season because it was at the end of the series.
Speaker 3: And while Sam does definitely really, really really deserve that, I love the new season.
Speaker 1: I kind of love that they're like, hey, this is still a show that began about a black man and now has finally come to one of the most famous characters who's a black woman. So let's give her her own space, Like it would have been such a shame to see her hemmed in to the stat story rather than getting a story of her own. And also something I really loved that Roland Jones said on the panel was you're about to start seeing a lot of different people's opinions about what happened and what is about to happen. So I think that he's implying that if the show continues to do well, like Akasha is not going to be the lost person who gets their own series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with you know, we were all sort of surprised to see Sam not in attendance, and so that kind of made me. I thought it was interesting he didn't attend, most likely because of his play. So he's in a show in Australia. It's you know, almost a full day to get to California from Australia, and so that's at least two performances, probably three he would miss, and so he just decided not to attend. He's been on record as having loved these events, so I think it was disappointing not to see him get that like big hall Ah standing ovation for the incredible season he gave. But also I think it's understandable how that, like, like why he chose not to come. The other thing we have coming up is the Rings of Power season three. She's coming back from here now. We're considering how to cover it here over at X ray, but we're stupid excited for it. It's gonna be amazing. The trailer looks really, really good, Rosie, I okay, highlights for me. I think seeing Galadriel literally in tears destroys me. She's so hard in the movies, and I think in the text too, you can kind of see her lived experiences through a lot of her dialogue and so to kind of be walking through them and see how crushing they are, it moves me. It makes me sad. It's really I don't know. I think she's incredible. I'm looking forward to watching her evolve into the like hard and bad ass we see her as later. I also really the Dwarfs and seeing their turn for this moment when they decide to like turn in and back to the K's and cut themselves off from the Elves. The hate that bruise between them, Oh my gosh, the tension is mounting, and I'm really really excited for those flashes to continue to brew. So yeah, lots to look forward.
Speaker 1: To, Honestly, like, I'm just most excited. We've talked about Hot Sour on ever since the show began. He's here, He's souring. It's gonna be great, and I think it's gonna be clearly like a fall of anti heroes. Because we also got a new clay Faced trailer. This was DC's other big moment. Now I'm not gonna lie. I think this was the big moment for them. I think the Lantern's tall h Like, it didn't hit for me in the same way this did. Because what they actually did, Joelle was they had Jim Lee go to a panel that was Jimley and Friend's comic book panel that he always does. It's his legendary DC panel, but they had him bring out the director, James Taylor of Clayface, and then they.
Speaker 3: Had him them.
Speaker 1: Show the trailer and they actually got to talk about making the movie. And I just think that is like fucking cool to tie it back to the comics, to where it comes from, to gym to DC, and to also like reward people who go to the real comic book panels like that to me was a big win for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really impressed with the clay based trailer I think I think it has the ability to tap into that other audience. I think it doesn't have to just be DC fans. I don't think it needs to be uh even people who are just like reading for James Gunley. I think the horror audience is going to gravitate towards this in a major way. It just looks like he has to douce to me, it was scary. I thought the prosthetics looked good. The story is interesting, I think, particularly in the time of Instagram Face and sort of this obsession with looks Maxing. I was like, I have not seen a Moron brand horror film since maybe Weapons. When it came out and people were like, protect the fucking children, this is crazy. I think this might have the ability to really speak to an audience in a way that most superhero films have struggled to. And it's led me to a insane conspiracy theory, which is maybe a superhero IP franchise in cinema could exist strictly on its villains. Penguin Rock, Yes, Playface looks like it's gonna hit Joker for a while was booming. Okay, not two hit or miss, but no one can deny number one box office banger. So I would you know? DC? I think your villains have always been your strongest suit. I think it's completely different than what Marvel is doing. I think these are brave, interesting choices. I know people are like, why would you roll the dice like this? I'm like, look at the state of things. Why not all the day? Is that? Why not making crazy decisions?
Speaker 1: So also, it was always meant to be called gods and monsters.
Speaker 3: If the gods didn't work, do the monsters.
Speaker 2: It's what we've been waiting for, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Literally, Joelle, Okay, we're gonna toss to a quick adbreak. Guys, we're gonna enjoy some sponsorships, and then we're gonna be right back to talk a little bit more about some.
Speaker 4: Of the big.
Speaker 1: News about some of our favorite franchises.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Okay, We're gonna start with a controversial panel.
Speaker 3: It was an interesting panel because it was about the Avatar Ang movie.
Speaker 1: People wanted to talk about the relationship, like basically, who's.
Speaker 3: With who, what she hips lasted?
Speaker 1: What didn't mid twenties Ang and Korra did they decide finally to do a little a little change there.
Speaker 3: No, that's still.
Speaker 1: You guys are gonna be living with the ships that you probably dealt with your whole Uh wait, not Aang and Korra because Cora's from a different Katar Katara.
Speaker 3: Yes, sorry, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Ag and Katara they're still together. They're not You're not getting your Katara Zuko here. It's not happening for you. You for it might happen, it's not gonna happen. I am gonna tell you the thing that was most talked about in my community and on the internet, which was unfortunately they it was very clear that on the character sheets there were multiple different times when they.
Speaker 3: Referenced chat GTP.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, Unfortunately people got screen graps right. It said chat GTP says blah blah blah about like a character, and it's like, who the fuck descriptions of the characters on the character sheet that was posted behind them at the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. It does not bode well, but you know what, it's all good. I'm sure the movie is gonna be beautiful.
Speaker 1: We're hoping that it's gonna get If you're gonna get a chance to see it, I think just only in a couple of theaters in New York and LA. It's not getting that full release, but you'll be able to watch it on Paramount Plus of course. And they add a lot of Avatar and stuff out and about today they had raps on the buildings.
Speaker 3: You were really getting to see it.
Speaker 1: We also got the Seven Heavens news. I was excited about this disabled a disabled Avatar. She's a young earth Bender and it looks like it's gonna be kind of an ecological story. She is the Avatar after Korra. It looks fucking amazing. And she is basically perceived by being the Avatar as like the greatest in the world.
Speaker 3: Like a villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's marked as a villain, and.
Speaker 1: She's basically like your evil. It's basically like your evil if you have these powers.
Speaker 3: Not good.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then she connects with her long lost twin sister, my favorite trope. Yeah, I can't help but whatever twin shows up. But like it's cinema, it's all right, let's go.
Speaker 3: It is giving the Acolyte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I can't remember how many episodes they said, twenty six. There are twenty six episodes of this two deep animal series. They're giving us genuine it looks it's not like a slightly like adventure time like anime e look to it. I'm so excited, you know, in both of these series are well sorry, the movie and this series are both productions from Avatar Studios, which is really exciting to me. I think it's something we've wanted to see for a long time. This is a franchise that really lends itself to these expanded IP universes. Just from jump with that doesn't feel an authentic at all. And I think there's a ton of characters. You know, the comic book series have been hitting for a long time. I know, the Earth Venders, the fighters. Why am I going up like this? After Kyoshi got her own series and people were like, oh banger.
Speaker 3: Those Kyoshi books, Yeah, unbelievable. I cannot recommend enough.
Speaker 1: They're actually I believe they just started doing one about a fire nation Avatartoo that I haven't read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those books are unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Like the stories here have never stopped and the creators have never stopped trying.
Speaker 3: To tell these stories.
Speaker 1: I will tell you, Joelle, you actually recommended me for a writing gig and I did submit obviously, I did not get. I'm not a professional TV writer, but it did lead to me writing my first ever animation pilot, and I later found out it would have been likely for this show. That is incredible because they needed a disabled writer. So yeah, they really took care to put together a team who knew it. I'm so excited to see it look gorgeous and guys, probably the biggest visual activation kind of moment outside San Diego this year, which was a little bit run down, I would say, compared to the usual amount studios were spending. You had your Percy Jacksons, you had your adult swims. But the big big rap was a big Wolverine rap. Very hilariously, PlayStation have decided to go for.
Speaker 3: This new slogan.
Speaker 1: It happens on PlayStation, so go Wolverine happens on PlayStation.
Speaker 3: Happens on PlayStation, No discs.
Speaker 1: But the funny thing is it made it seem quite polite. So we were all looking at it all wee can going, oh, yes, Wolverine happened upon a PlayStation, you know. But they had this really fun madripor set up there. You could get like a madropor Sunrise slushy. It was one of the activations people loved to do for free, and they had a massive sentinel head and you could see the differences, kind of different sorts of eyes, lots of smoke coming off.
Speaker 3: It at different times of the day.
Speaker 1: And that was all to promote the upcoming Insomniac Wolverine game, maybe by the same team and kind of in that shape shared continuity with the Spider Man universe. Is going to be a younger version of Wolverine, which we did know. He's going to be around two hundred years old when the game starts, but he is gonna be a Wolverine who was raised by mister sinister.
Speaker 2: I would like to see.
Speaker 3: Oh it's and to players.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be he's gonna be having another classic amnijiack event he loves to do it. Then he's gonna basically end up on a little Team X Action. We're gonna get Nathaniel Essex, Mystique Sabertooth, and who do they have to stop classic X Men villain Bolivar Trusk perfect.
Speaker 3: This is so exciting.
Speaker 1: Because even the Mars Morales and Spider Man games, even though the combat is incredible and I love it, it is not very violent and it's something also known for making like Spiro and Ratchet and Clang and ship like sounds. So creative director Marcus Smart was on stage kind of explaining like this is a big deal for us because we want to set out to create the ultimate Wolverine game, which meant making sure that we bought to.
Speaker 3: Life all the actually that make the character so beloved.
Speaker 1: Our Wolverine a cynical candid and he keeps blood a distance, not just because he knows he's dangerous, but also because he doesn't want to get hurt again. He's got a big heart and that gets him into trouble. Yeah, and then we want to see him stab a guy through the head five times. It's gonna be great, Joel, Will you be playing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely on the extra bloody version that they have. Coraer like you could play regular blood or extra blood, and I'm like, i want extra Blood. I was like, I'll just the see of what people who have like game tested it have been saying that it's just like.
Speaker 3: The pictures I saw were like insane.
Speaker 2: So over the top, so messy. So I'm forward to the chaos. I think they've had a great run of games. The new spiral fucking rock. So like, yeah, no, I think this is gonna be a good one.
Speaker 3: Me too. Okay, So I believe in that case.
Speaker 1: That it is almost the end of this very special SDCC episode. So what I want to do is I want to thank you Come, our super producer who sat through a weekend to wait for this to help us.
Speaker 3: Thank you Come.
Speaker 1: You can check out an episode of me and Jason interviewing him about his incredible superhero poetry collection.
Speaker 3: And I want to.
Speaker 1: Shout all the volunteers, all the people working at San Diego, all the booths, all the talent who showed up, all of our friends.
Speaker 3: I also want to thank Joel, who threw a very lovely dinner. But yes, we love San Diego Comic Con.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we'll all be there next year together and love you guys. Have a great week, and of course come back next week. We're gonna be talking about House of the Dragon. We're gonna be talking about some other cool stuff that you love, and of course we'll be back with news again next time on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Our usual name Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: By Boo.
Speaker 4: X ray.
Speaker 1: Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast. Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 3: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 1: Our producers are Carmen Laurent, Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack.
Speaker 3: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.