Speaker 1: My review of the new AirPods and why I might be switching from the pros. Amazon's new TVs are now available. There's a new family filter for your home internet service that's free. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on on Rich Demiro And this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place right answer the questions you sent me. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Thanks for watching on television if you so choose to do that. Otherwise, maybe you've discovered me online somewhere. Thanks for tuning in. I decided that I am going to start sharing a little bit more behind the scenes, a little inside baseball about my job on LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: And here's the reason.
Speaker 1: So this could be a total total mistake, but a couple of things going on. Number One, I feel like I want to demystify a little bit of what it takes to do my job. So it takes a lot, there's a lot of things that go into it. There's a lot of decisions that are made, there's a lot of thought, there's a lot of process, and I feel like young journalists people coming up in the business may want to see how I do things. I don't know, maybe they don't, maybe they don't care. Otherwise, what else the thing is LinkedIn I feel like is a place where when I go on there, I'm looking for sort of inspiration, I'm looking for tips, I'm looking for just I don't know, just information. And so I felt like that was a pretty good place for it. I could be totally wrong. I mean, I know TikTok is where everything's at, but I felt like LinkedIn maybe is a better place for professionals to exchange opinions and thoughts on things. So I don't know. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Maybe I'll continue doing it, maybe I won't. But I've got my first two posts up. I'm gonna try to post every day, just FYI. So I'm gonna try to post every single day and some kind of like little nugget behind the scenes wherever I am whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know, we'll just see.
Speaker 1: I'll use all the different different faculties available to me on LinkedIn. You know, whether it's a video, whether it's a picture, whether it's a poll.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So if you want find me on LinkedIn. I don't know how you search on there. Just search rich DeMuro LinkedIn and follow me there. So let's get to the first story of the week. I will probably end up switching to the new AirPods. I talked about this a little bit in last week's show, the brand new Airpod's third generation, but I was under embargo, couldn't really speak about my impressions of them. And yeah, embargoes are kind of a mixed bag when it comes to journalism, like we love them and hate them. So it's nice that Apple will get me the AirPod so that I can test them. But it's you know a lot of times when companies send stuff, it's there's some sort of caveat with when you can actually.
Speaker 2: Speak about it.
Speaker 1: And so is This has led to a whole joke with MKBHD, who's one of the biggest or probably the biggest tech you where he always you know, the joke is when the product comes out the day comes out, he always says, hey, guys, I've been using this product for the last three months and here are my thoughts on it. You know, where everyone else is like, wait, we just found out about this, but you've been using this secretly, so it led to a whole big joke in the comment section of his stuff or any in general.
Speaker 2: I digress.
Speaker 1: So, I've been wearing the new air pods and these are these standard air pods. So if you're familiar with AirPods, you know there's the standard ones and then there's the air Pods Pro. And so I've been using the pros pretty much since they came out, which I love because they the day that they came out basically enabled me to stop carrying noise cancellation headphones on the plane, and I said, wow, now I've got one set of things, one set of earbuds for every purpose. And they're tiny, by the way. When you're packing, that's a big deal. And so I've liked them. But the one thing I don't like about them is that they seal out your ears, and that's good for noise cancelation, but it's sort of bad for everything else if you want to hear people around you.
Speaker 2: If you just don't like that feeling.
Speaker 1: And so for me, I never really liked that feeling, but I put up with it because whatever. And now that the AirPods have all of the same features as the pros, except for noise cancelation and the silicone tips you know, basically the rubber tips at the end of them. They're pretty much the same. And I've been using these and I really really liked them. So bottom line, if you don't need the noise cancelation, I think that the standard Airpod's third generation are better. They may not be a better deal because they sell for one seventy nine, but the AirPods Pro were on sale for one ninety nine at Target this week, so you know, people might think, oh, for twenty dollars more, I get the Pros. But it depends on how you like these things to feel in your ears. Now.
Speaker 2: I went on a run with them, you.
Speaker 1: Can see that on my Instagram at rich On Tech. They were fantastic. They sounded good. They don't fall out of my ears at all. I think they're comfortable. I don't think they're as comfortable as the pros, but they're comfortable. They feel like the kind of the colder feeling of the air Pods where they're just a little harder in your ears. The design looks very similar to the Pros. They've got a new sensor on them that will they get a couple of new sensors. So in the stems, which are way smaller, there's a force sensor that you can squeeze to like play pausure music whatever.
Speaker 2: They also have HCII and.
Speaker 1: They also have spatial audio Dolby Atmos Adaptive EQ, so audio sounds really good. They've got head tracking, which is really cool if you haven't experienced it, and then they've got the sensor is the first and only on the air pods at this point that it's a sensor that senses your skin, so it knows if they're in your ears or whether they're in your ears or in your pocket, so that can help with with you know, false starts with the music if it starts and stops or something because you're putting them in your pocket and it's just getting covered up. Battery life is fantastic, but you can also charge them in a couple different ways. You can use MagSafe or you can use standard wireless. I found that I didn't even have to charge these things during my testing because they're just so good.
Speaker 2: And then they've got some.
Speaker 1: Find my features that can help you find them if they're lost. So bottom line, if you don't care about noise, cancelation or the silicone tips, then I think you go with the standard AirPods. I think they're just better because they just let in more of the world around you if you like that kind of thing, and they're just simpler to wear for me for longer periods of time. And so unless you're on a plane all the time, if you're on a train or some sort of noisy situation where you like the noise cancelation, then go with.
Speaker 2: The pros for sure.
Speaker 1: Or if you have trouble with things falling out of your ears, I find that the AirPods Pro almost like are like magnets into your ears. They're that good. They just stay in there. So one hundred and seventy nine dollars AirPods third generation available.
Speaker 2: Now let's get to the first question.
Speaker 1: Jerry says, since you first told us about popcart, I've been using it.
Speaker 2: It's been very helpful and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Nice to know if you're getting the best deal or the item is cheaper somewhere else. I just got an email they're shutting down, very disappointing.
Speaker 2: Do you have another service that does this, Jerry, Jerry, I don't.
Speaker 1: I popcart was a service that I had not heard of until the pandemic. And popcart basically is a little chrome extension. And when you're shopping on a website that's supported, like a best Buy or a Target or a game Stop or a Low's or a Coal's, and you go to a product, it would say, oh, hey, we found this cheaper. And so I really don't know of a good alternative. I really liked popcart because it so simple and it just worked. But I did get the same email that you got that said, hey, we're shutting down, We're done, So I don't know what to say more about that. Then they're just it's it, They're gone. Yeah, I can't believe it says they've helped more than two hundred and fifty thousand users, So I don't know what to say. So you could get rid of it. I don't know why they're shutting down. I gues two hundred and fifty thousand users is just not that many. The only alternative I can think of is probably Honey, and that's it. I think their website is get honey dot com. Let me see what their website is, Join honey dot com. So joinhney dot com is their website and I guess that's the best one. That's the one that I use now. I've got that installed on my computer and it seems to work. But to be quite honest, I mainly shop on Amazon. I'm not doing a lot of price comparisons online. Maybe I'll cross check best Buy, but I think Honeywill will be a decent replacement. But I don't know of one good website that searches deals across various websites. I think it's probably because all the websites want you to shop on Amazon because they get a referral fee. So I don't really know. If you find one, let me know, or if you have one, tweet me. But that's I'm mostly Amazon anyway. I mostly shop Amazon, Target, best Buy. That's it, so I can easily look at the prices across those three places. But it was nice to know if something was was on sale somewhere else. Speaking of Amazon, Amazon's new fire TV smart TVs are now available. They have two flavors of these, the fire TV Omni series and the four Series. The Omni is the nicer of the bunch. I think they're going to sell a lot of the four series because they're so cheap, but I would probably recommend the Omni series if you're getting serious, and especially if you're buying the bigger size, so the four series. A forty three inch TV is three sixty nine, which a pretty pretty good deal. A fifty inch is let's see here, a fifty inch is four to sixty nine, and a fifty five inch is five p nineteen, and then you step up to the sixty five inch Omni series, which is better four k those I would say you probably don't want to go less than sixty five inch. That's eight twenty nine, and then a seventy five inch is one thousand ninety nine. Now I need to upgrade my tea, and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with this, or if I should go with TCL, or if I should go with Visio.
Speaker 2: I've got a Visio right now. I like the TCL.
Speaker 1: I've recommended the sixth series to everyone, and so I feel like that's a good one to get. But I also like the software on the Fire TV. But also now TCL makes a Google TV like it's powered by Google, so I may go with that. So I'm going to be making this decision very soon. There's kind of a lot on my list right now things to buy, so I need to figure out my plan for purchasing all of these different things. But the fireTV Omnia or Omna Omni series has everything you need. It's got hands free voice control, it's got four K, it's got HDR, it's got Dolby Digital Plus also Dolby Vision on the sixty five and seventy five inch models.
Speaker 2: It's got support for Airplay.
Speaker 1: Two coming soon, which is really neat because you can share stuff from your phone. It's got this feature where you can ask Alexa to play something on Netflix, so you can just say play something on Netflix and it will play something that it thinks you'll like. You've got three HDMI inputs, although you probably don't need them as much anymore because everything is built into the TV. It's got picture and picture for the doorbell or video cameras, which is really cool. It's got Alexa Voice video calling, so if you plug in a supported webcam you can do that, or you can do Zoom later this year. It's got the fireTV remote that I love, so I don't know, I'm one. This one's seeming pretty good. So it really comes down to the software. Do you like the software from Amazon or Google? Probably Amazon is the bigger platform at this point. But I always tell people to buy the TV and then add a streaming box.
Speaker 2: Later of your choice.
Speaker 1: But to be totally honest with this Fire TV, I don't think you need to do that. And I think that Amazon will continue to support these for a while just because they are such a big, a big part of their business.
Speaker 2: You know, these smart products.
Speaker 1: So they are available. Let me know if you purchase one. I think they look pretty pretty great. All right, let's get to another question here. This one comes from mm MM rights iCloud storage.
Speaker 2: What do you think about it?
Speaker 1: It says you can share it with family as my wife has an iPhone, but I have a Galaxy S ten e. I can see it, says I have it, but I don't see it.
Speaker 2: MM.
Speaker 1: So, yes, if you have iCloud, you can share it among several family members, and if your wife has an iPhone, she can use easily on the on the Galaxy.
Speaker 2: I don't know of a way to use iCloud storage.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe I am mis misguided on that, but I don't think there's a way for you to easily access iCloud on the Galaxy S ten. So if you are thinking of sharing as a family plan, I would say maybe look into a third party service that works across all platforms, which would be something like a dropbox something like. It depends what you're doing, you know, like a one drive. You can do Google Photos if you're just doing photos.
Speaker 2: But I would look.
Speaker 1: Into that because iCloud is primarily geared towards iPhone users, and if you're a family that's using a variety of devices, it's probably not the best choice for you. Really get through some of these stories here. Let's move on to Instagram. Instagram has opened up links in stories to everyone. Now I'm talking about this given the fact that the average person probably doesn't have a need for this. How many links is the average person sharing?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But when you need to share one, maybe you figured out that you couldn't the feature wasn't available. But there's so many influencers out there that you follow that they're always sharing links, you know. So it used to be on Instagram Stories. It used to be a swipe up to link. And so I had this feature, you got access to it when you had ten thousand followers or somehow Instagram blessed you with it, but primarily it was if you had ten thousand followers you would get this feature, So that was mostly influences creators, people that amassed a large following. They were able to give that option to swipe up for a link to something, an external link to a website, and I've had that for a while, I've used it. It's very helpful, but the average person could not use that, And so if the average person wanted to share, for instance, a link to their GoFundMe or a link to find a loss pet or whatever, they just couldn't do it. And they probably a lot of people were probably scratching their heads and being like am I missing something? Like why don't I have this? And so Instagram had reasons for this. The primary reason is that there was never really a good way to link out of Instagram. But influencers need that to make money and to share links and all that good stuff, so they gave it to them. But they also had to ride this other side of things of safety and security. They don't want just a whole bunch of bought accounts setting up or bought accounts just immediately sharing links, so there had to be some sort of threshold for it, and the ten thousand followers seemed to be a threshold that worked, and so that's what they did for a long time until now. Now they're giving this functionality to everyone, and they said, you know what, there's a lot of reasons why we like this idea, so let's give it to everyone. And they change it a little bit. Now it's actually a link. It's a sticker that you put on your account, like on your story. And if you've used a sticker before, those are basically if you have ever added like a gift to your account or you know, like a it's Monday or whatever like. So it's a sticker. It's a sticker on your account. If you've used it, you know what I'm talking about. So now if you go into the stickers when you go into stories, there should be one.
Speaker 2: That says link.
Speaker 1: If it's not there right away, they're still rolling out availability to this to everyone and so you may not have it today, but it might show up tomorrow. So you go on there, you uh tap the sticker link and you can then paste a link in there.
Speaker 2: And put it on your story. And that's it.
Speaker 1: And I did a little tutorial on this on my face on my Instagram at rich On Tech if you want to check it out, because I always take for granted that people just know how to do all this stuff, and I realize that they don't, so I put the little tutorial there. If you know how to do it, great, just freeze by it. If you don't, share it with a friend or learn how to do it. But the stickers and the links are you know, it's helpful, you know when we're putting a link to something. And I think that the sticker is better than the swipe up because swipe up was always confusing to people and the tapping on a link sticker is much more understandable. I think to most people. If you don't have access to it, the only reason you wouldn't is because you've been posting harmful content on Instagram. So if you're a brand new account, or you're posting stuff like hate speech or misinformation all the time, or anything that violates their community guidelines, you will not get access to link sticker. But you're listening to the rich On Tech Show, I don't think that's anyone that's listening here. Let's get to the next question of the show Let's see. Audrey says that I love following your Instagram and listening to your podcast. Keep up the awesome work, Audrey. I feel like I'm talking directly to your ears right now. Thank you so much for that. Audrey says, I had to download the Clear app on my phone and attend an event for vaccination verification. Now I have concerns about the app, like if they're ever hacked. After having to upload a photo of my driver's license and vaccine card, you also need to take a selfie photo, so now they have my eyescan, is there a way to pull back my info from their database files? And are my concerns valid? Thanks Audrey, Audrey, No, you are totally out of line.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I think your concerns are very valid, and I think that it's smart to think this way. Whenever you are uploading anything to anywhere that involves your personal information or your biometrics, you should be very concerned. In fact, I think twice about giving my phone number at the checkout when they say, hey, you can save ten percent today by giving us your phone number. Well, yeah, that ten percent is nice, but guess what happened your phone number is now percolating into one thousand and one different databases depending on their privacy policy. And you probably didn't read it before you shared your phone number, and so that's why you get all those robo calls from time to time. Well it's just one reason. So yes, you should be concerned about giving out anything when it comes to personal information. In fact, I always recommend give out the least amount of information that they will take to do whatever you're trying to do. And when it comes to signing up at places like Target or you know, Walmart or whatever, Walmart doesn't have a loyalty program, but you know what I mean. You know there's a loyalty program everywhere, and there's always like some little perk that you get in exchange for your phone number, and then they start texting you incessantly. And so you know, with some of these companies, it's fine because you get something in exchange. But with clear I understand this is a big company. Your information is probably safe with them, but there's always a way to get out of their databases. And so if you look at their privacy policy, it says you may request that we remove your databases remove from our databases any personal information we maintain about you. You may request removal of your personal information by contacting us in the how to contact Us section of this privacy policy. We will honor your request, except that we may retain limited information so that we can comply with your request not to be contacted in the future. So go ahead and contact them, say I want out, and they should contact you back and say you got out. And I think, Audrey, that it's a good idea to be like this and from time to time just get rid of your information, you know, unsubscribed to things, you know, close out accounts, old accounts, certainly, don't reuse the same password over and over, and get your information out of as many databases as possible, and that really you don't have to make a concerted effort to do this, but when the time comes. So, for instance, I talked to a privacy expert a long time ago, Haley Kaplan was her name is her name.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked in a while.
Speaker 1: But she was she was great, and she talked all about privacy and all these different things, and one thing she said that always stuck with me. She said, you know, you get these things in the mail every year from your bank, from your from everyone, and it says, hey, you have to you can you can opt out of your of US sharing your your privacy or your information with third parties. And you just take this thing, you look at it and you say I'm not doing that, and you throw it out. It's too confusing to understand. But she said every single time you should, you should send it back and say I opt out. And what that means is that your bank, your credit card, your your insurance company can't share anything with third parties. And if your personal information. A lot of times they aggregate this information and share it in databases with other people that they either sell it to or just share it to. And so you have the option to say, nah, I don't want that. And the more that you do this, the less you're information shows up in those databases. So, for instance, I went through and remove my information from a lot of those like personal information websites step pop up everywhere that say you know who is rich to miro you know, and it has all this disinformation, half of it's fake or half of it's not right you know about you. And so I went through and I did that, And you can do this with yellow pages. You could do this with white pages. You could do this with well maybe not yellow pages, but you know white pages. You can do this with you know, Google maps. You can blur out your house, you can you can do it with a lot of this stuff. And so any opportunity you have to get your information taken out of one of these databases, do it. If it's as long as you can do it and it's easy and the company's legitimate. If they're legitimate, they'll get rid of it. If they're not, you're actually just handing over your personal information. So, for instance, if you see a spam email and it's like legitimate spam.
Speaker 2: And they're like, hey, you know, click here to be.
Speaker 1: To opt out, don't click those because that actually opts you in. It confirms that your email address is a live, working email address, and then they send you more email and it was spam.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 1: Don't even respond to spam emails. Don't even say stop. Now if it is a real company, like a home depot, and you sign up for a coupon or something, and now they text you every weekend saying hey, come on in five bucks off that I'm going to stay on that list.
Speaker 2: If they give you five bucks off.
Speaker 1: But what I've found is that they just text you, like promotions that are not discounts, and they just say, hey, come on in and get your garden going for the summer or whatever. I don't know why you do that, because do you summer garden?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If I was a gardener, maybe i'd know. But with those, with those texts, you can opt out, like a best Buy, a Macy's, you know, if it's a real company, you can. You can just type stop and you'll stop getting messages. And I feel bad, especially with the smaller businesses. Sometimes I'll sign up for their stuff, you know, if I'm in a store, like if I find myself in a little hallmark town, like a little main street somewhere, and I'm at a gift shop with those little signs that say like, you know, whine is my best friend and my ally or something like that.
Speaker 2: You know, those little.
Speaker 1: Signs that you see. I was in one the other day. It was so funny. It had like the best signs. Some of those things are so great and anyway, so you sign up for their little database thing, and then you feel bad taking your name off the list because you're like, well, I don't know. Maybe maybe I should just stay with them. But what was I talking about anyway? So yes, Audrey, good, good point. Get your information out of those databases when possible.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk.
Speaker 1: Speaking of databases, let's talk everyone's favorite conversation.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about coronavirus.
Speaker 1: Do people even call it coronavirus anymore? It's just covid or it's just like the world we live in. But there was an update to the iPhone this week, iOS fifteen point one, and it gave you a new feature, the ability to add your vaccination card to Apple Wallet.
Speaker 2: And I got so much about this, Rich, I've been able to do this forever. I know more than you. Okay, Yes, And here's the thing.
Speaker 1: When I post stuff to social media or to my Facebook page, people are always trying to like get me, like, h Rich, I knew this.
Speaker 2: I already know that.
Speaker 1: I knew, Oh you could do this before. I've had that for months.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: When I post something typically it's because there's something new to it, there's a new aspect to it. And so yes, with the digital vaccination card. In fact, I've had my card in an app called common Pass that has been on my phone for a while, but you could not add it to Apple Wallet, and some people have through their healthcare provider the ability to add to Apple Wally. Here's what's different about this new vaccination card. It is now what's called a verifiable vaccination card.
Speaker 2: And so what they're.
Speaker 1: Doing is they are working with third party apps that can verify that your card in your Apple Wallet is legitimate. And so what does that mean. It means that let's say you're flying United Airlines and they say, hey, can you upload a copy of your vaccination card? Instead of having to actually go take a picture of your vaccination card or somehow finding you know, a verification of that card and uploading it to the app, the app will say, hey, can we ping your Apple Wallet and we'll find it in there or Apple Health and we'll just see that your copy is verifiable, and you say sure, and they do it and in seconds you're verified without having to do anything more. So that's what the big difference is here. And so if you're in California, and I wrote the instructions just for California, and since that's where I primarily appear, it's it's really easy. You just go to the vaccine the Vaccine Record Portal from California. You type in your information, you choose a four digit pin, they send you a QR code, and then you just import that QR code.
Speaker 2: It should be there should be.
Speaker 1: A button at the bottom that says add to Apple Wallet and Health. You tap it and boom, your vaccination card is now an Apple Wallet.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I also updated my Apple Watch, and if you have one of these with the latest Apple Watch software on it, which I think is Watch os eight point one, you can double click your little home button or your side button, and now your vaccination card is also in there. And so that's really cool, and so it's a neat feature. It's simple. I'm not going to get into the debate over asking for vaccination proof and all that stuff. That's not for this show. But I will say if you are being asked for your vaccination card at entry at certain places, this is an easy way to show it. Let me tell you just quickly about some of the places. Now, I did the the easiest way for California with the records, but there is a whole bunch of providers that this works with. So what they're doing is they're using these smart health card. So that's the smart Health Card is importable into Apple Wallet and Apple Health and if you're a business, you can actually download the Smart Health Card Verifyer app and you can scan people's QR codes. Now that's it's getting pretty intense if you're doing that. But you know, again, we're not getting into the whole debate over this in this show. But who uses this California, Hawaii, Louisiana, New York, Virginia, a bunch of places in Canada, a bunch of pharmacies Cedar Sinai, Express Scripts, Kaiser, write Aid, United Healthcare, Walgreens, Walmart, and then a whole bunch of providers. And I'm not going to go over the list of those because there's just too many. City of Hope, Cleveland Clinic, Penn Medicine. So basically, the bottom line is that if you see or can access your Smart Health Card record from your wherever you got your vaccination card, you can now import it into Apple Wallet. It's a really simple process. It's really great, you know, if you're into this sort of thing, and it works really nicely.
Speaker 2: And so that's it. Now.
Speaker 1: The other question is when you get a booster, will it show up and the reality is that you actually have to import this card once again to show the booster but it does have the ability to show booster shots.
Speaker 2: So that's it. That's all you need to know. Get that card on your phone if you so choose. Jackie says Rich.
Speaker 1: When will Apple come out with a new iPod Touch or are they finished with them?
Speaker 2: Please let me know, oh Jackie. The iPod Touch.
Speaker 1: The iPod Touch revolutionized running. In my mind back in the day, when I had an iPod Touch, oh my gosh, along with Nike running on it, I thought I was king of the world. I had my music, I had a running app I could see. I don't know if it was a map of where I ran, but it was like a trail of where I ran.
Speaker 2: It was life was good.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what's happening to the iPod Touch, because this is a device that has been eclipsed by the iPhone and it's just something that a large majority of people no longer need, which means Apple is not really putting that much effort into them now. When I go to my favorite website for all things Apple products, Buyer's Guide dot MacRumors dot Com, again Buyer's guide dot MacRumors dot com. It tells me that the iPod Touch has not been updated in eight hundred and eighty four days, which sounds absolutely wild until you look at the history of the updates and the history the average is four hundred days four hundred and four to be to be exact, So four hundred and four days is the average it takes them to come up with a new one. The last time they came up with it was July twenty seventeen, then July twenty fifteen, June twenty fourteen, September twenty thirteen, May twenty thirteen, and then Octo over twenty twelve. So let's say twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, twenty seventeen, and twenty nineteen. There could be a twenty twenty one in there, but I don't think so. I think we're good with all the product updates from Apple this year, but perhaps next year, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll keep this going.
Speaker 1: Just as kind of a legacy product that just some people buy, and they know they just need to make, like, you know, a couple hundred thousand of them a year just for.
Speaker 2: Keep some people happy.
Speaker 1: But that is That is the most I know, and I'm looking at the rumors. This says unreleased iPod Touch five with Shamford edges and thirty pin dock connector shared online.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, this actually looks like an iPod Touch that is.
Speaker 1: Closer to the I don't know, there's no way thirty pin.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this means.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I think that it's one of these things where I don't think it's coming out this year.
Speaker 2: Let's put it this way, Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: So maybe make plans for a you know, maybe just purchasing one on eBay or just buy the current one and use that because a current one works just fine.
Speaker 2: There's nothing new about.
Speaker 1: It all, right, Wise came out with a lot of new products this week. Whyse is a real fan favorite when it comes to smart home products, and they're building out a very, very robust lineup of smart home products.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I often talk on this show about my love of Ring and how they're doing a robust lineup of products, but I think Why Is is sort of the anti Ring because they're not owned by a big company and they have a lot of stuff very competitive prices. But I think that the frustrating thing about Why sometimes is that it could either be tough get their products, or it's like weird pricing because you have to pay for like shipping. Sometimes they're not always available on Amazon in like a straightforward way or just available in a straightforward way in general. But with that said, I've got a couple of wise cams. I love them. I think they do a great job. I think that their software is always being updated. They have a good team, it seems. And so here's what they've got going on. A new Wise solar panel which is twenty dollars, and the Why solar panel will power the wise cam outdoor, so it's it's basically the equivalent of the Ring solar panel. This is twenty bucks plus shipping, which is pretty good. But shipping starts see this is the thing. It starts shipping in January. So I'm telling you about this in October and you can't get it until January, which I think, as a customer or as a consumer is really frustrating because you're hearing about this and you want it, and now you have to wait until January to get it. So my advice to Whys would be to not talk about products until they're available, or maybe in a week or two before, because it's that's frustrating, you're talking. I gotta wait at least two months to get my product, and perhaps in January. I'm not even sure it's gonna be available. Then you've got the Why's Lamp Socket and this this enables you to plug your camera into a lamp socket so to power it that way. That's forty five dollars plus shipping, and that starts shipping in December, so again we got to wait till December. Then they've got a Wyse Switch three pack, and this is a three pack of switches that control wise lights and other wise devices at the touch of a button. That's thirty three dollars for a three pack, which is very competitive.
Speaker 2: That starts shipping in December.
Speaker 1: Then you've got the Why's Bulb white four pack, and that is thirty two dollars. Again, starts shipping in November, which I think Wyse already has. They do have white bulbs because I got them for my mom. So that's a four pack. I don't know what the difference is between this and the other ones that they had before, but that's what's happening. Then you've got a couple other things happening Campo Cam plus Pro and this is a new way to secure your home with AI powered professional security.
Speaker 2: Your wisecam will be able to arm, disarm.
Speaker 1: Detect people, and trigger alerts to a professional dispatch security. And all you need is a wisecam, So that's kind of cool. And then you've got camera. Oh you're gonna be able to view your wise cams on the web, so that's kind of cool. So a lot of announcements from Why's and again it's all just kind of getting into the scheme of things when it comes to, you know, just building out a robust system that you can rely on in your house with these smart home products at a very reasonable price. And I think that, you know, you'd be hard pressed to find another family of products as robust as.
Speaker 2: Ring or Wise.
Speaker 1: And if you look at stuff like at Google, Yeah, they've got a bunch of stuff, but it's very expensive.
Speaker 2: And Google's kind of all over the place.
Speaker 1: I've said this before, it's probably why they're not sending me the pixel to test out.
Speaker 2: But Google is all over the place with their products.
Speaker 1: And you get stuff and it's like, oh, we just continued that, or we're not supporting it, or whatever they do. They just hang on, let me check my email before I trash them even more. Are they sending me the the Pixel to test out?
Speaker 2: No, they're not.
Speaker 1: So I put in my request to Google to test the Pixel and they just completely ignored it.
Speaker 2: They could care less.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what I did, what I said, but they are just like, we don't care rich We're not We're not sending you the Pixel to review. So I've got to go out and secure one when it hits the stores.
Speaker 2: Google.
Speaker 1: I've tested every pixel phone, They've sent every Pixel phone to test since day one, and this one they just decide that I don't exist.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the deal is. I don't know. It's probably something I said.
Speaker 1: I believe I called the Pixel a one trick pony on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was it. I don't know, but I think that honesty is the best policy.
Speaker 1: I like to tell you what I think about products, and if that interrupts my relationship with the company and their ability to send me that product review, then then so be it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't I can't.
Speaker 1: Withhold the truth because that's what I deal in, and I want to make sure that you know what's happening with these things, all right, syl says, hey, Rich, hope all as well. I have over sixty thousand pictures on my iPhone. Can you recommend the best way to save and retrieve all these photos is a stick?
Speaker 2: The best way? If so, which one?
Speaker 1: I'm currently saving on iCloud and Google Photos and on a Shutterfly app. I would like to clear my phone of some of these photos. They are all family photos, grandchildren mostly. Thanks for your advice, Sylvana. Well, Sylvana, I think you are doing the right thing by saving to iCloud, Google Photos and Shutterfly.
Speaker 2: I also think that maybe that's a little overkill. I think you only need two places.
Speaker 1: So you said you want to clear your phone of some of these photos, now, I think the easiest way to do that is to stick with iCloud and Google Photos. And so what I would do is there's a couple things you can do. And it gets a little confusing because there is a feature on Google Photos that lets you delete pictures.
Speaker 2: From your phone.
Speaker 1: And so let's say you're just like like I am just using Google Photos. So when my phone gets filled up, I go into Google Photos and it says free up space on this phone.
Speaker 2: I click that.
Speaker 1: It deletes all the pictures from my phone, and I now have them safely backed up to Google Cloud and they are not on my phone any longer. I also have them in a third place, and that keeps them sorry in a second place, which keeps them backed up as well, so I can safely get rid of them from my phone because I don't need them there anymore. Now, when it comes to Google Photos and doing that same thing, if you're using iCloud, that is going to delete pictures off your phone and which will in turn trigger them to.
Speaker 2: Be deleted off of iCloud.
Speaker 1: So the better option for you is to actually go into if you're gonna stick with I Cloud and stick with Google Photos, is to go into iCloud settings. And so you want to go into settings, and then you want to go into iCloud, and then you want to go into photos and let's see that's not where it is. Actually, yeah, that is not where it is. Okay, well, don't listen to me, because that's not exactly where it is.
Speaker 2: Let's see where.
Speaker 1: Is the there used to be. Let me go into photos and see if it's in there. Ugh, why do you have to put things in such different places? Okay, here it is, let's see is that it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I don't have iCloud Photos turned on, but when you do, if you go into setting and then photos, there should be an option that says optimize.
Speaker 2: Storage.
Speaker 1: And so when you click that or toggle that on on your iPhone, it will automatically or should I say, automagically offload some of the pictures on your iPhone. And this is a very confusing feature that it's just so apple to do something like this, but it works really well, but it's very confusing because I get this question all the time. People say, if I delete a photo from Google or my phone, is it going to delete from iCloud? And the short answer is it's not easy to answer in a short answer. So the reality is the best way to do this is to just let iCloud optimize the storage on your phone. And what that means is that if your storage is running low on your iPhone, iCloud will go through and it will delete the full resolution picture.
Speaker 2: From your phone.
Speaker 1: It will keep that in iCloud, but it will keep a small, low red solution thumbnail on your iPhone, and so when you need that picture again, you can just tap it and it will quickly download the full resolution photo in the background for sharing or for viewing or whatever. And I do believe that there's a little cloud icon on the photo in the photos app that will denote that the actual photo is not being stored on your phone anymore.
Speaker 2: It's being stored in the cloud. But if you just tap it, it will restore that photo.
Speaker 1: So that's the way I would do it, and that way it will not mess with Google Photos. It will not even mess with the Shutterfly app. It will still upload to both those places, but when storage gets low on your phone, it will go through and kind of manage some of that storage on your phone to make room for everyone, to make room for all the different pictures on your phone. All right, cloud Flare is introducing one point one point one point one for families. So I don't know, this kind of gets in a little bit techy, but I guess this whole show is techy, but I try to keep it, you know, on thee for most people that can understand it. But there's something that I always change on my router immediately when I get you know, when I get a router, is uh, I always change the DNS settings. And DNS is what is basically an address book for the web, and so by default you're using you know, your provider. We've talked about this in the show before, whether it's Spectrum or AT and T or Verizon or FiOS or whoever your internet provider is, well, they use their their information their DNS look up. So if you want to be a bit more private, you can use a third party DNS resolver.
Speaker 2: And so Google makes one.
Speaker 1: There's this eight dot eight dot eight dot eight, and then the other one is cloud Flare. They make one called one dot one dot one dot one. And so what that does is it basically protects your lookups so that you know your your internet provider does not see as much information. And so this is most most a little bit more private. But a lot of people said, hey, we'd rather have oh it's also encrypted. We'd rather have something that works for the family. So can you come out with something that works for the family, and especially something that has maybe a little bit of filtering or maybe a little blocking built in. And so now one dot one dot one dot one for families gives an extra layer of protection to your home network to protect it from malware and adult content.
Speaker 2: So it's totally free, and all you have to.
Speaker 1: Do is change one setting on your router and it will immediately take effect. And so here's what you do. It's actually two settings in your router. So if you change the numbers on your primary DNS and your secondary DNS, it will help you route all of your DNS looks up look ups through their servers and not your ISPs. And so this will block malware if you set it to one dot one dot one dot two and then one zero zero two.
Speaker 2: And I'm getting a.
Speaker 1: Little bit techy here, but it sounds more complicated than this. It's actually quite easy to do this. Now, if you want to block malware and adult content, you can set it to one dot one dot one dot three and one dot zero dot zero dot three. And if you have one of the main providers, it's very easy to set this up. So if you have like an eurosystem or a a router from whatever, you can easily set this up at the router level, or you can just set it up on your actual devices. So if you if your kid has like an iPhone or a you know, computer or an Android. You can do it there. So on the website Cloudflare, I'll link it up. In the notes, they give instructions for linksys routers, a sous routers, Netgear routers, d link routers, and Ubiquity routers, and so all you have to do kind of is go into the routers and look for the DNS settings. That's that's the bottom line, and you change them to these numbers that I just mentioned. So it's either one dot one dot one dot two or one zero zero two or the other ones. And it's it's really easy. I do it on my computer all the time.
Speaker 2: I use Googles or do I use Googles.
Speaker 1: Or I use I can't remember which one I use, but I either use Google or cloud Flare. But this is good for families, and they are going to add some more features in the future, which is really cool. They are going to add. Let's see what are the other features they're going to add. You can create specific lists that allow and block certain sites. So, for instance, I fere on a block like roadblocks dot com. You can do that through this. You can set times of days when categories like social media are blocked, and you can also get reports on your internet your households internet usage, so you can see I don't know what that means, but you know, maybe the websites that they're spending time on or going to. I don't know if it's specific or just you know, category level, but this is a This is a very easy way to just give some basic protection to your family from malware and adult content.
Speaker 2: There are many other ways you can this.
Speaker 1: I know EO has things that are built in or you have to pay for them, I believe if you pay the extra thirty bucks a year, but you can also do something like if you want to pay something called Circle is really good. So Circle, I think their website is meet Circle, and that's really good and that gives you a lot more control. So if you want a lot of parental control over your kids and what they can access and when and how, then Circle is going to be. It's actually a physical device that you plug into your network, and that's really good. My kids hate it because you can really control. It's like down to the minute. You can say, okay, YouTube you get for a half an hour a day. You can you know, roadblocks is only available on weekends. Whatever you want to do, you can do it with that's very very powerful, all right, s rites in with the subject line iPhone thirteen can a text message be scheduled to be sent? Until recently I had an Android and I can schedule messages to be sent on a different day or time. I now own an iPhone and I would like to know if this is possible with the iPhone. Thank you S. The short answer here is I don't know, but also I don't think so, and as far as I know, built into so Android and iOS are very different in a lot of ways. But Android, I know, with the stock Google Messages app, I think if you just press and hold the little send button when you're going to you know, after you type in your message, or's like a little send arrow next to it. I think if you press and hold that, it will give you options to schedule a text and you can schedule it to send in an hour, whatever whatever time you want. On iPhone, not so much. And as far as I know, you can't do this at all on an iPhone because third party apps, as far as I know, do not have access to I Message, So you can't even download a third party app and schedule a message that way. Now, the only way that I think you could do this on an iPhone is with a third party service. So I'm sure there are plenty of them out there that you could download an app that will send text messages. It will not likely be from your phone number, but you can send a message from that app and schedule it. Now, I don't know of an app that does that. I'm sure there are plenty, especially for businesses. You know, there's lots of text messaging apps, but that would be the only way to do it. But as a as a casual user of a messaging program, if you just want to casually message your friend but schedule that message to send at a different time, I do not know of an easy way to do that on the iPhone. Let me know if you know of a way to do that. I just don't. All right, So you know, I got a Tesla, so I've been talking about and I'm very much interested in electric cars. At this point, I will tell you getting the not the supercharger, but I'm getting a charger installed at the house this week, and so I am excited for that, even though I don't really need it. I charge my car at work. That has been fantastic and quite honestly, it's free, and so I am going to take advantage of that as much as possible. And so I used to charge like on Sunday night or overnight on Saturday to Sunday. Now I just let my car run as far as humanly possible, as long as I can make it to work on Monday.
Speaker 2: I will charge it here.
Speaker 1: Because it's included. I shouldn't say free, it's included as a job perk of mine. And so but I'm getting this thing installed at home because a I bought the charger for six hundred bucks through Tesla, and I just figured, okay, well, now that I bought it, I'm not gonna return it, and it's probably nice to have it at home anyway, because I'm gonna need it eventually at some point. And so there are gonna be weekends where I want to take a road trip or I go out of you know, just drive further than I need to charge, and I've got to charge it up before Saturday or Sunday or whatever. And so I'm getting this installed. I tell you all of that because I'm talking about Lucid, and Lucid is a company that they're making an electric car that's very highly anticipated, very expensive. But they are doing their first deliveries this week. And so the Lucid Air is a five hundred and twenty mile range car and Lucid is out of Silicon Valley, but it is made in Arizona. I email the company to ask if I can come take a tour of the facility and drive the car.
Speaker 2: I hope they say yes. I don't know if they will, but let's hope they do.
Speaker 1: But they are doing deliveries of the Lucid Air, which is their first car. So this is very exciting for this company. And the range, like I said, five hundred and twenty miles, the longest range of any ev and zero to sixty and two point four to two seconds. Now this is their first you know, this is their big expensive Lucid Dream Edition and then they are going to come up with the Grand Touring Edition and then the Touring and Pure models are anticipated for in twenty twenty two. Now, the price, don't they don't list the price on their press release about this, but I you know, some other places had pricing. So these cars that they're delivering are like one hundred and seventy grand. Then the next car down is going to be like seventy eight, and then hopefully we'll have a car cheaper than that, and then eventually they want to make a car that's about twenty five grand, which is what Tesla has said as well. But the reality here is that this is fantastic for the electric car business. It just it's this is a startup, so they're not burdened by the same thing that a major car company that's like a Ford or a GM is burdened with, you know, to try to transform their company into something that's more electric.
Speaker 2: This is a startup.
Speaker 1: They're they're building it from the ground up, and it took Tesla ten years to get to where they are maybe a little bit less, but it took a while. I mean I was there at some of their first events and just just seeing where they've come from. This roadster that was so you know, I remember sitting in this two person roadster and you know, getting to meet Elon Musk and interview him. This is when I worked as a reporter at k CAL nine. I mean I was able to interview Elon Musk because he would give anyone an interview that would that would put a microphone in his face. And now if I emailed Elon Musk, he probably would not give me that same interview. And Tesla is not the same company. The company just reached a trillion dollar valuation, which just not many companies in America have that, you know, outside of Apple and Microsoft and Google, and you know, maybe a couple others nipping at their heels.
Speaker 2: But this is this a big deal for Lucid.
Speaker 1: I saw the car in person at the mall they have at the Century City Mall here in Los Angeles. They've got a little storefront, and me and my son went in there and we checked.
Speaker 2: Out the Lucid.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, but the guy lost me at eighty grand. I said, Okay, well this is not for me right now. But it's a beautiful car. It's a luxurious car, and I have no doubt that people like this car will absolutely love it. But I also saw at them all they had the charging stations that were proprietary to Lucid. And so now we're getting into this world of here's the major electric car companies got. You've got Tesla, who has superchargers.
Speaker 2: You know in a lot of places.
Speaker 1: Then you've got Lucid coming up and they have their own superchargers that they're building, and I already saw them at the mall. And then you have Rivian, which they have their own chargers that they're putting at places like Adventure places, which you talked about on the show. And then you have Electrifi America and charge Point and all these other places, all these other charge companies that are building chargers that work on a variety of cars. And so where, I mean, where does it end. Are you going to go to a parking lot and have your choice of fifteen different proprietary chargers?
Speaker 2: I think not.
Speaker 1: So we're definitely going to see some consolidation in this world of proprietary chargers. I don't know how it's going to shake out, because every car company, like Apple, they learn from Apple. They're taking a queue from Apple and they're saying, ah, we saw what Apple did with their with their lightning and it worked really well as proprietary and all these accessories worked with lightning, and you know, that's what we want to do. We want to make sure we can optimize for our cars to be the best they can be. And you know, something like USBC for a car will have to eventually happen because it will just make things easier for the consumer. And USBC is a pretty good standard as well. It's just not on the iPhone, it's on every other Android, and it's it's worked pretty well for them. But I don't know, we're gonna we'll see what happens. Maybe they'll build it on top of, you know, a USBC style charger. Now when I say USBC, I mean some sort of electric standard, but it'll maybe.
Speaker 2: There'll be a separate flavor for Tesla. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe Tesla will make it better, but the reality is, we just can't have fifteen different types of chargers for every electric car company that comes on comes on board with these things. But anyway, congrats Solution for making their first deliveries. We will continue to track that company and I hope I get into one of those cars soon real quick. Since I'm on the topic of electric cars, Tesla, my first software update hit my phone today. I got a message when I woke up, it said Tesla rich on Tesla, your software update is available, and when I clicked through to that, it tells me that there's a bunch of new features available in the car. The most notable, according to Electric website is they are now doing the Century mode Live Camera access. And this is so crazy because this is a feature that I imagined you would have on the Tesla and here it is.
Speaker 2: And this feature.
Speaker 1: Lets you access the cameras on your car through your phone and you can literally like you would watch your ringcam at home, or your Nest cam or your wisecam, you can now stream the cameras from your car on your phone. That is just about amazing. It is nothing short of just unbelievable. And so this is really cool. I've not installed it on my car just yet, says The update is going to take approximately twenty five minutes. During the update process, you will not be able to drive the vehicle or use the touchscreen in your car. Alarm may be disarmed for a short duration. Do you want to install it now? I'm gonna say no, because I'm gonna do that later on today. This feature requires the ten dollars a month subscription the Premium or I guess the Premium connectivity feature. Oh wait, hold on, I need to pay. It's being introduced as a new Premium connectivity feature which requires a ten Okay, so you need to have that subscription to get access to this, but apparently it's only available on iOS for now, coming to Android later.
Speaker 2: But I can't wait to check that out. I will.
Speaker 1: I am sure I will talk about it more in a future report. All right, Jody says, I'm in need of a new iMac desktop. My first one is over ten years old.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I wondered if it would be worth waiting for Black Friday to order one because they don't offer education prices anymore for newer models. Any savings would be a big help because they don't usually have sales. But if they don't usually have sales, I'll just order it now. Thank you for any help you can give me. Best to you and your family, Jody, Jody, that's a testament to the quality of Apple. The fact that your iMac lasted ten years amazing. And Apple gets a hard time for high prices, but their stuff lasts forever. And I'm telling you from experience. My MacBook that my kid is using is my old MacBook. Now give an eye upgrade every couple of years. But I mean he has thrown it down, dropped it, he's on it's it's it's greasy, and the thing still runs amazing. And if you clean it up, you wipe it down, it's still a fantastic computer, at least four years later. And so the fact that you're going on ten years is awesome, and these things.
Speaker 2: Have a great resale value.
Speaker 1: But the couple things, so Number one, Apple absolutely offers education pricing on the new Imax. They start at twelve forty nine for the new iMac, and if you're purchasing that as a quote unquote regular person, it would be a little bit more expensive. So twelve forty nine for the regular iMac. Let's see how much the non education store pricing is.
Speaker 2: It would be twelve ninety nine.
Speaker 1: So it's not a huge discount fifty dollars on that lower end machine, or i should say the entry level machine.
Speaker 2: It's not low end at all.
Speaker 1: But hey, fifty bucks is fifty bucks. So a couple things you could do. Number one, Yes, do the education pricing. If you are an educator, for sure, you should always be buying Apple products with education pricing. Number Two, you can go to Costco. Sometimes they offer a little bit of an upgrade for a cheaper price. I saw the new Imax there, so check that. Number three Black Friday. Apple historically does not really go all out on Black Friday. They don't really need to, and so often you will get maybe an added bonus of they will include something like headphones with it, or they will give you a gift card towards a new computer. So I would say you've waited ten years, So Jody, if you can wait another four weeks, I think wait the four weeks, see what the deal is on Black Friday. Definitely buy it from the Education store and hopefully you'll get a one to two punch of maybe the fifty dollars off for the education pricing, and maybe another fifty to one hundred dollars gift card that they offer on Black Friday. Hopefully you'll be able to connect those as well. All right, let's get to one more question before the show ends, and this is Steve. He says, good night, Rich, love your show, never miss it. I love the joke because everyone says good morning. You must listen to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Steve, he says, I'm sure the M one ship is fabulous, but I'm not willing to downsize from a twenty seven inch iMac to a twenty four Do you know if Apple's going to build a Mac with the M one and a larger screen. Steve and bo Mont, California. Steve, I would say absolutely. They have built all of their Mac computers with the M one chips. Slowly but surely they are ruling them out on all sizes and varieties, and so I think the twenty seven inch iMac will not be far behind. Maybe they were waiting to put this M one pro chip in it, and I think that's probably If I was a betting man, which I am sometimes in Las Vegas. Not in a big way, not in a problematic way, just a small way. If I was a betting man, I would say that Apple will probably probably do that for sure, all right, And with that, that's going to do it for this episode of the show. If you would like to submit a question for me to answer, go to my Facebook page, Facebook dot com slash Rich on Tech, hit the big blue send email button. Also, I would love it if you would rate and review this podcast. Just go to your favorite podcast app, maybe Apple Podcasts or Spotify wherever you can rate it and review it. Please do that for me and write a line about why you love this show. That really helps other people discover it. And we're on trend to have our best mone ever in October. Very excited about that, so thank you for listening. No matter where you live in the US, you can download the free KTLA plus app on Apple, TV, Fire TV, and Roku. Then scroll the tech section and you can watch all of my TV segments on the best screen in your house. And you can find me on social media at rich on Tech. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks so much for listening. I love the fact that I get so many emails now saying that you are listening to the show. It really warms my heart. There are so many ways you can spend an hour of your time. I do appreciate you spending it with me. I'll talk to you real soon.