Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube within Thinn.
Speaker 2: This is the way we were all here, doctorson Thank you so much Bank of NASA, with all of his work over the years on international economics, Ned Phelps, who we miss every day. The laureate from your Columbia would say, what separates us is dynamism, and right now we have American exceptionalism because we have Ned Phelps dynamism.
Speaker 3: Can we do that with a forty trillion dollar deficit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, mister Pholps was so tuned into sources of growth and how to stimulate growth and you know.
Speaker 5: Through policy and what have you.
Speaker 4: But anyway, but we'll certainly all miss him. So I don't think it's a coincidence that we had this intervention in the bond market on the same day that I was announced that our national debt hit forty trillion.
Speaker 5: Someone obviously got some early.
Speaker 4: News debt debt that's everywhere, right, It's not just a US phenomena. You see global yields everywhere, Germany, Japan, everywhere, yields arise, and we're in the world washed with debt. It was fine when interest rates for zero one percent. All of a sudden we're looking at four or five percent, and it starts to get really messy.
Speaker 5: And that's sort of the big driver I think that's going through global markets right now.
Speaker 6: So are we in a higher interest rate environment for a longer? Is this the new normal?
Speaker 7: You know? Four seventy on the on the ten year, maybe even more.
Speaker 4: Well, I think for old timers, I guess we could say this is the old normal, right, this is the rates that held basically before the Great Financial Crisis. So you know, I think a lot of US old timers saying, well, okay, look, you can live with four or five percent, but I think that's great when that GP, for instance, was maybe sixty percent. Now got that GDP one hundred and plus percent, and all of a sudden.
Speaker 6: At the graph of that jet debt to GDP on the Bloomberg terminal, and back in like in the eighties, it was like forty percent. Now we're at one hundred and almost one hundred and thirty percent. That seems important to me, is it?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: We get away with a lot because we are the face that we're the world's reserve currency, at least for now. I'm not saying it's going to end any time in our lifetime, but you know, these things don't last forever. Before us, it was Stirling, there's gold before that. But we do have, you know, sort of this seniorage. We have this benefit, we get lower costs being this sort of the safe haven asset. But it's it's it's again, it's messy. It kind of I hate to kind of take this the kop up, but it works, though it doesn't at some point it's gonna be taking point. This may be for a warning sign. I don't think where things blow up, but this is why a warning sign. Hey, markets are paying attention.
Speaker 2: So the Bank of dan saw, how are you advising where we are one one, three months, six months out? Or does win thin look for an unexpected and unknown unknown you can't frame.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, that's uh. Look, there's so many uh bout that. That's my favorite phrase. But yes, we have so many known unknowns, but there's always the unknown unknown.
Speaker 5: But right now we've got The.
Speaker 4: Biggest unknown to me is you know where yield's going and what's the FED doing. I mean, I think mister Wharfs did not do the market as any favored by back in July, just saying repeating his mind.
Speaker 2: How far out the curve does the FED go? Textbooks tell me two years? Maybe inside the belly of the curve. All of a sudden that may change. She's got to talk about ten year, twenty year dynamics.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the problem with all these changes in the market.
Speaker 4: We're also getting a new FED chair who obviously wants to shake up communications, wants the market community.
Speaker 3: I just said this to two guests ago. We don't repeat it with you.
Speaker 2: We got massive forward guidance yesterday.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: Look, well we've all revealed the pain point for the Treasury, right I think you know, thirty year year yields above five percent, that's a pain point. Ten you're approaching five that's a pain point. So I expect more more intervention. I mean, this is sort of a shot across about is you know, one from two billion to four billion at least four billion of buybacks, you know, kind of small potatoes. But that's just one of many things that they can do, but again it's there.
Speaker 5: These are more tactical than strategic.
Speaker 4: I mean, what's underlying the bomb right now is still massive depthits you know, you point out forty trillion debt, massive private sector supply, AI hyper scales, all that high inflation, and we go back to FED who we don't really know that the reaction function yet, and that's something I think that would be really on mister Warshaw, you know, in the coming weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll get one more in here because I had to go win thin nerd here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very good heads up all the mucky MUCKs, including Tom. We're gonna be heading out to Wyoming next week and I'm not sure what's out there.
Speaker 5: I'm jealous some mountains never gotten the invite adviser.
Speaker 6: I don't know what do you expect to hear from FED chairman to Washing and do you think that'll be his comments may be influenced by this.
Speaker 7: The Treasury departments.
Speaker 5: You know, it's really it's a good question, Paul.
Speaker 4: You know he was asked about it the July FM seeing he said, I hadn't even thought about It's a blank.
Speaker 5: Page to you. Well, he's got a Ton to talk about.
Speaker 4: Now, he's you know, he's balancing this his reticence to give any sort of Ford guidance with the hunger that the markets have. And if things were sort of chugging along, okay, we're we're worrying more inflation or anything like this. I think saying keeping a trap shuit would probably be no, okay strategy.
Speaker 5: We're at this tipping point.
Speaker 4: We're in this these crosswords and use all these analogy you miss, but we're at this, you know, a time, very difficult time for markets, and to have a FED that's unwilling to do that sort of guidance is to me it is very uh nerve wracking, and that markets are showing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta go nerd here, we gotta get back.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pick up off of Ned Phelps to Robert Bundell at Columbia with wind in a few years ago. What's Donald Trump's trilemma? Columbia invented the trilemma standard for in exchange dynamics. I see Philippine pace so almost to sixty two. Every nation, France has a story and it's ugly as well. But what is the president's trilemma?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll throw this out there and I mean mention this relations that they the sudministration came up for the second term two of the There are many sort of legs of the table they want. But to me, the two things are are existent are week dollar and lower yields. Because if you're actively trying to weeken the dollar, and I think that's part of the whole Trump organization planned on shore manufacturing, want on shore manufacturing and get a week of dollar make it more competitive. But if you're a foreign investor and you're holding US treasure, you think about you holding US treasures, We all of a sudden a week of dollar is gonna eat intoy return. So you're gonna have to ask for a higher return for you know, the exchange rate risk and sort of the reputational risk that the that the US is is I think is growing. So those two, to me are it's more of a dilember right now, but it's it's it's something that it consists it and I think we're paying the price right now is that Marcus are really sort of flailing for some kind of anchor and you have to higher all pressures you throw in there, which is I think right, totally messing things up.
Speaker 2: Friend Crude ninety three fifty five of Bara Winton, Thank you so much at the Bank of NASA.
Speaker 3: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: George Conkalvas with us right now. I head of US macro Strategy. I'm FG securities. Have you ever seen anything like what we witnessed yesterday? We talked about it, but there it was.
Speaker 8: I mean, look, if you think about Augusts are always kind of sneaky. They come out their sleep sleepy time here is in August, and then you get these sort of kind of headline shocks.
Speaker 3: And if you think.
Speaker 8: About the August is that we had post financial crisis, post European crisis, Like there was financial reasons why August would get like volatile. Now we're shifting to the sovereigns in the limelight. So like the sovereigns now are really developed markets in US included are now having to kind of fend for themselves and like, that's like the big shif that's happened in the last fifteen twenty years. And I think that's kind of what we saw yesterday.
Speaker 6: So as head of US micro strategy here, what are we doing here?
Speaker 7: I mean, we've got.
Speaker 6: Interest rates markedly higher, stocks hitting all time highs seemingly every day.
Speaker 7: Where are we allocating capital these days?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: So look, we're being mindful of the focus on the long term sector of the rates market. And if you really go back and you look at what's been driving this move, a lot of it is termed premium, the additional yield compensation that we need for long term rates. For the first time in many, many, many years, you are getting compensated for the like in the bomb market again, right, So you have to pick your spots, and I think like dollar cost averaging in on every acid class, including the bomb market, makes sense.
Speaker 6: So again, on a two year I can get four to twenty if I want to go out a little bit more.
Speaker 7: In a ten year, I.
Speaker 6: Get four seventy. Am I spending any time at all in a corporate bond market?
Speaker 8: I mean, look, I think in general, Okay, so if we kind of zoom out again. We're in an environment where sovereigns are competing for capital for the first time with the private sector. That's a that's a big dynamic we all talk about all the time. The crowding out effect is now a real palpable thing. We're actually seeing crowding out between the AI issuance versus sovereigns. So I think you have as long as you're being compensated for it. And then yeah, IG has a place in people's portfolios. But when spreads you're super tight, you want to be defensive a little bit.
Speaker 2: The George Michael Darta and ed Yard Any both say, you know what rates are back to normal within a spect and all that our dumbest listener, that's me.
Speaker 3: Okay, the listeners and viewers who are.
Speaker 2: Not sophisticated, would you know they think Operation Twist is Chubby Checker. The answer is, they know forty trillions in number number. They know the interest expense is what it is. Yes, I'm looking at the Fibonacci, the log Fibonacci of the move yesterday, and we're already a third of the way back to where we were before. The best bombshell yields are going up this morning three basis points. What happens when he has to reintervene as he intervened yesterday up the ante.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, I think this is this is obviously a very delicate balance, and I think we need to be careful in trying to call it a twist or yield curve controls. I mean, this is a operation mentords market function and liquidity for the treasure market. It could have an outside move again because of the sleepy August environment that we're in. So plus or minus two or three basis points, we're not going to make a big deal about it. That ten big move yesterday was significant. So that kind of shows you where positioning was were people were scared to actually be invested in the long term sector and they got a rude awakening yesterday. Let's see if we grind back up, if we unwind this whole.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing on the Bloomberg terminal, Boss Sweeney, we are that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Look, so look, if that were to continue, I think that that's going to have a date with Kevin Warsh next week with Jackson Hole and how that gets characterized around what's the view on the FED on rates?
Speaker 7: What do you expect to hear from mister Walsh next week?
Speaker 8: So, I mean we really So there's really three options.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 8: You can kind of stick to the script, which is it's a symposium around digital YEP, and the market's not going to like that. You can do a version of that, and then towards the end of the open remarks mentioned something about current macro conditions, what the FET's thinking is without giving too much forward guidance, or maybe we finally get Kevin Warsh coming out and laying out what is his framework, what does he look at? What is he thinking about? Like the path, because that's what the market's yearning for, because if you got that, you'd have a pretty big rally in every asset class, rates, equities, and credit.
Speaker 7: No reasonably that's gonna happen, though, right, I don't think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 8: I think I think it somewhere between option two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, George think us so much.
Speaker 2: George Conkab has had a USMC OR strategy on a movable story.
Speaker 3: To say the least. He's with MUFG Securities. Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch US Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US Live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: It's just one stock.
Speaker 2: It's there's an affinity to the CFA program because in the accounting of the CFA you use. John Deere is one of the representative textbook companies. No I never understood equipment leasing.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: Robert Teeter joins his chief investment strategist and equipment leasing at Silvercrest.
Speaker 3: Asset John Deere. The beginning of the year, there.
Speaker 2: Must be five reasons not to buy it. John Deere is up twenty seven percent with a pop this morning this year, and.
Speaker 3: Yet there were five reasons not to buy it. January first, Well, I think one.
Speaker 9: Are the really interesting things going on here. That story is one of them. That the healthcare news is another. You know, people are looking for a second story. You know, the AI story has been around for a while. It's very exciting, it's very powerful. But when you look ahead the next year, as people tend to do when we get into August here and start thinking ahead, you know what our next year's number is going to be like, they'll be great, but will they be higher than this year? Higher earnings growth, And so I think people are looking for other places to put capital. We've seen that in small cap doing well this year, and we see that in some of these powerful moves outside of it AI where you get a little bit of a catalyst and people are very quick to jump in and say this is a spot where I could be for the next year.
Speaker 6: So earnings for twenty twenty six are going to be twenty for the year twenty percent plus, you know, maybe double digits next year ten eleven, twelve, thirteen percent. With something like that, Can the market perform next year with a slower rate of growth for earnings?
Speaker 9: I think it can in the path that it has the past few weeks, meaning the broader market doing a bit better than the S and P, maybe some of the AI and tech stuff starting to go sideways for a bit and getting some of this capital flowing into other areas. And when you do the math on market cap of some of these huge tech names, even if you're just rebalancing a little bit out of those into something else, it gives a long runway for some of these other names to perform for a while, so I think the market can continue to perform. I'll just be a little bit broader market.
Speaker 6: What do you make of these higher yields we're seeing not just in the US treasures but around the world, Japan.
Speaker 7: In Europe and so on.
Speaker 6: What's going on out there with Is it higher rates for longer out there?
Speaker 7: Do you think?
Speaker 9: I think it is mostly because we don't have a clean resolution to oil price, and if you just chart oil price versus CPI, it's been very meaningful and we don't know when that's going to go away. I do think that the yields are really important here that you know, the yield on the tenure is something you should put, you know, front and center on your screen and monitor. We now know a really critical level kind of around four to seventy five on the tenure. As you said, we're going in the wrong direction today. If you get back up there again, that starts to look really interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, cut to the chase. What is it Thursday? Already?
Speaker 5: Now we're ones? You know Thursday?
Speaker 3: There are Is it really like claims?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 3: Day Friday?
Speaker 2: I can't even keep track? Sweets in charge of keeping track? Are you here tomorrow.
Speaker 5: No, please, Robert, I'll be here if you want me.
Speaker 3: I look at where we are in the emotion.
Speaker 2: I hear in restaurants people come up and all that is, I got cash, and I'm happy having cash. They yield and all that. But we all know instinctively we're not supposed to be in cash. So what do you do if you're scared stiff?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So we've been encouraging people to check back in on those long term goals.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: One of the things that can happen when you've had a long bawl run like we've had, is that portfolios can get a little bit of an allied balance in the other direction, a little too much equity. And we've been encouraging people to pull back and rebalance. Their tax might be an issue, other things might be an issue, but have a game plan. And on the cash side, you're right, the yields are so much better now it's not as big of a penalty to have some money in cash. But I would say job number one, rebalance back to target. Job number two, make sure you're diversified across sectors, because we think people will be looking for other places to deploy capital. Next year, and job number three make sure that the cash is working for you and that you're getting a decent yield because they are available.
Speaker 6: Can stocks continue to perform if rates continue to at these high levels, maybe even higher from here?
Speaker 5: I think that's the real test.
Speaker 9: So I thought it was kind of a brilliant move by Treasury to just put a little bit of an announcement out there. Small amount is not really a consequential dollar amount, but it sets a marker, and the market for me is now I think, you know, on the ten year, four seventy five, And so if we get back up there and start testing that again, I think ebodies will struggle.
Speaker 3: Then before you leave the studio, we're going to get there. We're four seventy one und up. I mean this is moving in real time, folks.
Speaker 2: I mean most people Robert two, they don't care about this, But the fact is it's reversing.
Speaker 9: Rapidly, reversing rapidly. And I think what was so brilliant about the move is it was such a small move. So if you do get a bit of a fail and you get yields back up to four seventy five here, they can sort of put it off as well, this was just a small technical adjustment, not a big deal. But it tells you whether it's important or not, and I think it is important.
Speaker 6: Is it the beginning of it, like it's Tom was suggesting a policy by the Treasury here to keep moving into this bond market and trying to move this yields lower. I'm not sure where that came from, whether it was from the President was, whether it's from the Treasury itself.
Speaker 5: Is this a Was that a one.
Speaker 7: Time play yesterday? You think it's something more sustainable.
Speaker 9: Maybe, Well, that's what I think was so interesting about it. I think it can be presented as a one time play. But if we test that level again, as you say, we're getting close to doing that, we'll find out very quickly whether this is a change in policy or was just a one off. And I think we'll find that out over the next couple of days. If we drift higher in yield.
Speaker 2: Should investors that want to act in August to frame up year end allocation? You know, I'm not a fan of rebalancing, but we're going to rebalance and all that act now or delay posts the speech into September.
Speaker 9: More data now, I think now is a good time to do it. And the reason I think that is, I don't think you're going to get a lot of data out of Jackson Hole. You have a few things looming on the horizon that are unpredictable and somewhat coin toss in a way, one being the oil price, and so it's better to take that action now, set yourself up for a good year next year, which I think we will have a decent economy, good earnings backdrop, and you want to be in precision to participate in a broader wag. And I think the broadening out is a really healthy signal here Killer.
Speaker 2: Robert Tianka so much, Chief investment strategist, Silvercrest Asset Management.
Speaker 3: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Patrick Sykes is spectacular out of Istanbul with Bloomberg Middle East. He's breaking news editor and he joins us right now. Patrick, I saw administer Vitis, who's been a great supporter of my work on CNN yesterday, I think it was, and he was skating with these statements by the administration that the Gulf of Hormuz is open from where you view in Istanbul, is the Straight of Armuz open?
Speaker 10: Is it's on and off depending on you know, the time of day. But when it's on, it's clearly on at a rate that's still vastly lower than you know, anything resembling its pre war status. It is clear that the US military is coordinating with tankers to kind of usher them, escort them through the strait. It does seem realistic to me that, you know, the military strikes in previous weeks that we saw from the US around Iran's coast did degrade the ability, albeit not completely, but the ability of the Iranian military to try and target those tankers. But we do still see, you know, a tax getting through. So whatever help is on the way and in place, it's clearly not a blanket measure, but it is volume is getting through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Patrick, from your perspective in Istanbul, President Trump announced plans to subject Iran to quote an economic d day. What do you think that means for people in your corner of the world.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean passing the language. She pointed to things like exchange houses, bank transfers, airports, but also shipping companies and I think in the in the round, Uh, the assumption is that the biggest targets Toll go after based on those parameters, would be China trying to obviously Iran's biggest customer, customer of oil throughout all these years of sanctions, and that is the real lifeline that, you know, the realist that the US would want to break if it were realistically going to hope to try and impose some kind of change in behavior, you know, within leadership in Tehran. Whether or not that breaking point comes is another thing. But then more broadly in the region, you've got countries like Turkey where I am. Turkey imports Iranian gas under a long term contract, and you've got the UA, you know, closer to Iran or just just on the other side of the strait. Big a lot of trade going in terms of fruit and vegetables and finance. Of course, very hard to kind of separate those completely.
Speaker 2: Patrick, ugly Americans like me, we didn't get the map, right, I mean, the British, you know, the people like Patrick psychs. I mean, they know the map cold over there, the darn knells all that, Patrick, the Caspian Sea. When the President says we're going to cut off all economics to Iran, the history of this back three four hundred years is east of everything else, there's the Caspian Sea to funnel stuff into Iran, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that is another outlet, and I think you know, more broadly, while the focus has been on hormones because of the oil factor and the energy implications for the global economy, Iran has definitely sought in recent weeks to tap all other alternative forms of trade and transport that it has. The Caspian is one of those that we saw it getting targeted by the Ukrainians with a drone a few weeks ago, so that itself is not invulnerable, but we've I've also seen stamus from Iranian officials, you know, looking at deals with Iraq for transiting oil, with Tajikistan for selling oil products, with new connections to Pakistani ports. So they're going to tap every lever they can to reduce the pressure.
Speaker 3: Patrick, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Terminal