Speaker 1: Recording from the unbearable heat of Palm Springs for Dancing with the Stars Gone. It was one hundred and eleven today, Val, did you know that?
Speaker 2: I did not know that, But when I was looking for you in the parking lot, I felt that it.
Speaker 1: Was one hundred and eleven in the parking lot and it was zero degrees in the ice rink of Afrossure Arena. Well, it's like Comic Con here, but with spray tans. We've decided there is not enough dancing on our plate, so we are recapping the next pro val. Talk to me about what the last week of prepping for con has been like.
Speaker 2: It's been a exciting, hectic. It has been kind of feels like a reunion, you know, like a like a high school reunion of sourts. Obviously, we have celebrities coming back from different seasons, which is exciting again not just for us, but for other celebrities to get you know, because you watch the show, you're a fan of certain people. Like you said you got to meet Christi Yamagucci.
Speaker 1: Christi Yamagucci. I was like, what, Johnny Weir, I'm friends with Johnny Weir. That's so cool.
Speaker 2: Johnny man, he's amazing. So yeah, so like that's fun. First of all, this is the first time Dancing with the Stars is doing something like this, so that's fun. Again, there's excitement in the uncertainty of things, but it's shaping up to be a great show, a great weekend, and I'm yeah, I'm excited to kiss babies and take selfies.
Speaker 1: Yes. Well, let's learn a little bit more about who might be joining you at the next Dancing with the Stars con with episode four of the Next pro we have a very special guest judge.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: But before we get into our guest judge, we are reminded that Natalie went home last week. She had a medical elimination, and we have learned through interviews over the past few days she suffered from a concussion and was not cleared to continue. Now, have you ever had a concussion from dancing? That's pretty serious?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I mean no, A concussion is definitely serious. Obviously, there's so much new science out there about exactly how serious it can be. I you know, personally from my experience, I've been hit with elbows many, many times throughout my career, and one in particular I got we were doing blocking. So again, you know the dress rehearsal, how close it is to the actual live show. This we were going last. This was in the finale, and this was our freestyle and Zendea rocked me in the eye with her elbow during that run. And again, I mean blood everywhere, gushing, gushing over the and I just did there wasn't enough turnaround for me to go to Cedars and get it stitched up. So they had like butterfly, butterfly tape whatever tape, Yeah, butterfly tape and yeah, and show what was going on. I went out. I mean again, it was the last episode of this epic season. We had a huge chance of winning, and I just knew how nervous she was for the day in general, so I just try to alleviate the pressure. But yeah, I was, I mean it was kind of cool. Again for me, this is like what a thing. And I told, you know, at the time, I told her, I was like, you know, one day I'll be able to say that these and you know, I got these stitches from these and there I mean foreshadow.
Speaker 1: Look at her now, you know, No, it's almost like you who made her the stars? No, Okay, you don't want to take care of.
Speaker 2: But again, show mus go on. In the spirit of that phrase, obviously, you know, we did continue. It was super random that I, you know, imagine going live and then I'm coming down before any context, right, hearing down the stairs with her giant black eye. But again it makes for a cool story. We ended up losing that season, which was heartbreaking, but all in all it was Yes, the answer is yes. I don't know if I was ever concussed, but I've certainly taken some elbows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, we open with Robert's joyous return, followed by Shirley and Mark. Shirley admits she is impressed with their evolution, but Mark wants to see their grit and how they deal with setbacks and pressure. Tristan says he's gotten over some nerves. He said, now that he felt like he's really been at the bottom. There's nowhere to go but up.
Speaker 2: I remember you last last week?
Speaker 1: Okay by Tristan, I thought for sure, I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: But no, no, He's still in it.
Speaker 1: Is still in it. And he said on a technicality, which is in his head, you know, he's like, am I really supposed to be here so that you know, but like you said, he feels like, okay, he's hit rock bottom.
Speaker 2: No in a chair, Danielle, come on, you need is a chance?
Speaker 1: That's it, that's right. And then out comes our guest judge. It is two time Mirror Ball Chance Amy nominated choreographer and truly one of the coolest women on the Planet's VAL's better half Jenna Johnson.
Speaker 2: Totally so cool. She's definitely the coolest.
Speaker 1: It's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, she's not back there for sure telling me to say this. No, no, she's super cool. I'm so proud. Yeah, I think I said it in our last episode. Is that, you know, we work alongside each other, and that's such a huge blessing in our life. We get to spend, you know, because our job takes so much of our time, the fact that we buy the fold, get to pursue what we love and at the same time have a relationship and at least see each other, have some proximity to one another. Even the physical touch on set while waiting around is just is very comforting. So on that end, very lucky. But on the flip side, I never get to really just celebrate her for her and not be tied somehow to her work. So it's just fun. It's fun to see her shining. And I'm a huge advocate for her as a professional. And you know, I came onto the show as Max's little brother and took me some years to establish myself. And you know, obviously I am very proud to be her husband, as she is very proud to be my wife. But those titles have nothing to do with, you know, the level of pedigree that she has accomplished in the space. And when you introduce her, you introduce her, yeah, by her own damnselng huh, and then you know, fun fact she's also married to Val. That's so fun, you know. So I think she's just excellent and I'm very lucky that I get to share space with such a brilliant choreographer and professional.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I was so lucky to share that space with her last season too, And on tour, she's just she's remarkable. Well, Jenna performs a Robert coined spicy and extremely difficult dance to a cover of Leslie Gore's You Don't Own Me. She doesn't even break a sweat.
Speaker 2: It's I know, it's crazy, it's crazy that she walked off like because I've seen you know, we've seen the other weeks and Brandon respectfully, well Brandon and both Derek, but Brandon was just dread.
Speaker 1: Even seem out of breath.
Speaker 2: She was just like hello, just she's just again she's an incredible discipline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, peak excellence, peak, Like I mean.
Speaker 2: Again, it's just a certain standard that she holds herself too, which is is hard to match. And I you know, I've I pride myself on that, but she, you know, she's on a different level. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, once finished, Robert notes that she was dancing with someone who wasn't our pal val he's too busy becoming a celebrity podcaster. Yeah, but that's the life of a dancer. You need to find chemistry and make it look real, no matter who it is, whether it is genuine or not. So this week's theme is chemistry.
Speaker 2: Chemistry. I spoke to her, she said, oh, they they didn't keep the line, but I guess she did an OTF and they asked her about what is it like to find chemistry with someone else, and like, you know that just have you met my husband? She said he could find chemistry with a piece of paper. Yes, like Okay, thanks, thank you, Thanks Jen.
Speaker 1: It is true for both of you guys that like both you could, you could have chemistry with a paper towel, a rock. Both of you have that.
Speaker 2: I will have chemistry with anything that I'm creating, something that I'm passionate about. Yeah, you know, so I'm passionate about playing basketball. When I go out and I played pickup bowl, I have a lot of chemistry with my teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I saw it. We went to a NETS game together and you played basketball in the NETS practice court. You played a little pickup games with Alan and Brandon and you guys, I would you would have thought someone told you, if you work hard enough at this, you might get drafted tonight because you were drenched in sweat and you were focused.
Speaker 2: How you do anything is how you'll do everything. Yeah, and so you know that's what breeds chemistry. It's like when you see someone that you're taking part of in whatever, whether these podcasts and whatever, like, you see somebody be passionate about that and invest in that, and we share that common ground and then you're gonna have chemistry. You're gonna you know, you're bound to find something. Again, back to what we're talking about because it's dance, because it's partner dance, you are the most You become the most important thing in my life for those next two minutes, you know. And that's my approach to my partners when I'm dancing, and I know that Jena has the same approach. You know, that person then becomes my most sacred individual for the next two minutes as long as we're in you know, doing our dance. To me, that is the foundation of chemistry. It isn't physical attraction. It isn't a lot of times chemistry gets hijacked with with with the sexual kind of yet to it. But it really isn't about that. Even obviously you could have a physicality about the performance, there certain aesthetics that are more compatible. Whatever the physical is in the eye of the beholder. That that's that part is in your brain. My approach and where my chemistry comes from. It comes from camaraderie, you know. It comes from caring about this person a lot, and caring about the thing that we're trying to accomplish together.
Speaker 1: The judges have selected the rumba and the Argentine tango as the dance styles for this week. Both those dances demand passion and intimacy. So did you like the selections? Is that what you would have chosen for the dance styles?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, totally, totally Rumba. They lend themselves to that, right. Intimacy is kind of woven into the fabric of those styles, and so they lend themselves to a little bit more of an intense chemistry.
Speaker 1: Well, with that, we are thrown into rehearsal Day one. Jenna, who is just so beautiful, comes walking in to meet the dancers to find out who is the most compatible with one another. They will be flipping through partners every time she yells switch, and she calls it speed dating the next pro edition, which was a really concise way of saying exactly what they were doing. Nina immediately gravitated to Alan, who she has danced with for years, and Adele speeds off to Aj, who has become familiar to her. But then they switch. Stephanie switches to Alan and immediately knows that's going to be her pick, especially because she has no vibes with Aj. Selena feels most comfortable with Eric, and Tristan feels the spark with Stephanie. Adele on the other hand is very lucky. She feels it with everyone. What a great quality to have.
Speaker 2: Again, you know, it's one of those things like she's clearly very passionate about dance, and again that passion is part of what makes those dances so great. And as someone that pursued this on an excellent level and trying to be the best in the world, which she came very close to being. Yeah, it's no surprise that she is able to find chemistry with anybody because I think maybe she's just so immersed in the dance. I think that's another thing as well. It just reflecting on me, like I get so immersed in the performance that, yeah, you become one with the dance and with the person you're creating with, Otherwise you won't be able to create it on a high level. Yeah. So yeah, I mean I could see that.
Speaker 1: Well, there is definitely when you have two pros together and you really are creating together. I can see because like I'm thinking about listening to you talk and I'm thinking about my experience. There really isn't a whole lot of creating I get to do. I get to tell Pasha what I want, what story I want to tell, and then Pasha as the choreographer and as the pro creates the dance, and then I have to learn it. So it's of course, you know, I end up loving it and I'm excited to learn it, and as we're going through it, I'm like, oh, I love this, But it doesn't feel like I ever really get to be like I've had. I've had ownership of this move, even though I probably should have. At the end, I'd like to go back and redo my season. You know, I want to do it again, Pasha, we got to do something. I want to ask you.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, there's a I mean, look, there's obviously acting as part of the performance. Even though this is dance, there's a big part of that that's acting. So you're an actress. Have you ever, how does chemistry work with you?
Speaker 1: I can also have chemistry with anything, I really can. I mean, there have been, like you said, there have been times, and of course, as an actor, sometimes you are having to make out with someone totally, you know, whereas I don't think in dance you might want to sell that idea that maybe you're going to but you don't usually end up making out with your dance partner on the ballroom floor.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is I look back at seasons and for the art, I would quite often like if it, you know, if it was like some dramatic little love affair, or even in a comedic way, like I would plant the kiss at the end of a dance, like it's just whatever, what's supposed to happen at the end of this story. And now looking back, I'm just like, what where was I What am I doing? Yo? But I you know, I look back at a lot of decisions I made in my life like that. But yeah, the with the with the casualness with which I've invaded other people's space, I mean again consensually obviously of course, you know, it's just like whoa, That's a creative choice that I've taken on several occasions. So yeah, so again, I think there's an innocence to some of this choreography that to the outside perspective has like it just looks different. Right. It's like when you're you know, hearing a conversation from the side, you might not know you understand the context of what's happening. And so yeah, when I'm creating and the report that you build in the room, sometimes it's like, I think actors can relate. It's just like, yo, this is a scene. Let's get a scene done. When this scene's over, you might look at each other like I gotta go to the bathroom quick. You know. It's like and there's almost the chemistry flips completely to like a real, real fun friendship. Yeah, Like I think friendship needs to exist, yes, because at least for me, I don't really do well with people I don't like or don't respect or don't want to be around. I'm not willing to go the distance for someone that isn't worth it. What I mean by that as someone that's taken this opportunity for grant or taking me for grant. Whatever. So, no, I can't build chemistry with anybody. But if we're friends and we're on this journey together, like, let's let's do it, let's play, let's let's make things up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the end, Jenna has the girls select who they want to dance with, and this is how it unfolds. Selena chooses Eric, Stephanie and Nina both choose Alan, Dell chooses aj and no One chooses Tristan, who is embarrassed and realizes that he is the weakest link, and so with the traffic jam, Allan is tasked with choosing between the two and he chooses Nina over Stephanie, and now Stephanie is forced to choose another partner, and she then chooses the undrafted Tristan, who she just danced with last week and she felt like that gave her a disadvantage, so she's not thrilled and he is not happy about being her second pick. So it is a real rough start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, again, just judging on the surface, I don't I'm not in that house. What's different about this show is they're spending a lot of time together, so perhaps they're building a friendship outside of the competition, which I'm sure they are, and I'm sure they did with Stephanie, so I could see how that may feel like betrayal. But also, man, what a I mean, I got to check him on his like selfishness, Like, bro, this is not about your friendship with her. This is about a competition and a huge opportunity for her. And I don't know, like you know that phrase of like if you really love something, you let it go, And I think, you know, I feel like to some degree, like if you're really friends with her, then you need to read the room and realize that maybe she'll have a better chance with somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if for no other reason other than the fact that why two weeks in a row would I want to show myself dancing with this, with the same person I've already danced with, as opposed to something you haven't seen from.
Speaker 2: Me, which is what we want to see. I want to see different things. I don't want to see the same thing, and you get a very limited amount of opportunity to showcase that. So I thought that that was a very selfish move, and like, not, no, that's I mean again, I coul stand how he felt, but to have made it her fall because what about the other girl. I mean, it's not like the other girls ran to you. So I think at that moment in time, I felt like disappointment. Of course he should have felt that. I would have felt that, But to have placed so much of that burden on Stephanie was very you know, I don't want to say selfish, but it was just unfair, very unfair. And we'll get into that more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would have It would have been so interesting. Had I think the entirely projection. I don't know, but I think the only reason she didn't go to yet even another guy, was out of the fact that she felt she did feel bad because had she decided to say go with Eric, he would have had to choose. Now, Okay, now I've got two women I need to choose between. But I think she was like, I've already not chosen him once, right, I can't to not choose him again, And so she went to him. And yet I think she was so unselfish with that. I think she really you know.
Speaker 2: Well, if you watch the show like it goes on, like it doesn't stop there, you know. They then get in the room and he's still guilting her, you know, still giving her this like I'm like, I know, bro, no, no, get to it. Get to work. By the way, you still got to get in the compete, so you gotta worry about you, not who she who.
Speaker 1: She's picking a spending all this time thinking about her decision. You've got to get in there. The dancers then blindly choose what style of dance they'll be doing and are given some time to connect, but not before Jenna breaks the news. This time, both dancers in the lowest rated couple are going to be eliminated.
Speaker 2: Which is huge, which once again is why Stephanie wants to make the right choice. And again I'll go to Alan choosing, you know, going with Nina. Like friendship, all of that is important, but you're here for a reason. All of you are here for a reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone's gonna win, you know.
Speaker 2: And you gotta make choices that will give you the best chance to be successful in what you're doing right now. And if your friendships are really good friendships, they're gonna they're gonna survive the test of this competition.
Speaker 1: Yep. So Stephanie and Tristan and Adele and aj get the rumba, and Nina and Alan and Selena and Eric get Argentine tango. We jump into couples rehearsals. There are two days until the performance. Tristan is giving Stephanie the cold shoulder. And have you ever been in a situation with a partner where one of you is giving the cold shoulder and you're and you're trying to get.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, no, I mean if I don't get Jen food after after she gets back from this rehearsal, you're.
Speaker 1: Going to get the cold shoulder. Okay, I promise I'll get you out of here.
Speaker 2: This is not right. No, no, no, as as you heard on that phone call, she's not going to be here.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be here for a bit. I know that's true. Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They decide to clear the air, and Tristan admits he's petty. He felt kind of dissed.
Speaker 2: This was good, This was good. At least there's some self awareness. And I again, I don't I'm not trying to say that you can't have feelings or can't be disappointed. I just want you to own your own moment of hurt without having to you know. It's like, what is it? People love company? Yeah, misery loves you know, and it's like, no, you're come in with me. We're gonna we're gonna feel herd together.
Speaker 1: And it's like, no, that's there's gotta be one of your incredible phrases for misery loves company. Where's it? How does death get involved into one of those phrases?
Speaker 2: Russian phrase?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, a Russian phrase for something like that. So Tristan says he's gonna twist the knife a few more times until he gets over it, and then he focuses on getting over the hurdle. Eric and Selena, though, are figuring it out, integrating the themes of their song into the dance, and Selena is nervous. She does not want to be the reason Eric is eliminated totally. Nina and Alan's dance have decided to include elements of not only the Argentine tango, but also elements of rumba and a samba. Aj is immediately confident with his routine praising the passion, but Adele admits that he is a challenge to work with. She says a key to working with him is to make him feel like he's the boss and in the lead, But in reality, maybe she's just making him feel that way. Do you like to feel like the Boston in the lead as the man in the dance?
Speaker 2: I mean, if I did what I look, how are you treating me here? I don't feel like the boss. I'm still showing up. Give him my all anyway. Listen, the different rooms navigate differently, Obviously, different partnerships navigate differently. I think he's met his match. You know, he's not gonna run over Adele unfortunately like he did with Selena, or you know, he's just not gonna he might but try. Yeah, but I just I know Adele and I know that I don't know her personally, but I know an Adele. I've seen that the archetype. Yeah, and so cool like he can she'll like giggle and do whatever she's gonna do anyway.
Speaker 1: That night we have the couple's dates as if Chris Harrison is the host. As funny as it sounds, I know firsthand from Pasha, bonding outside of the dance floor is vital to a good partnership.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, Well, sometimes you need a healthy professional distance. And I don't mean like obvious, you know, the obvious where your brain goes. You know, this is the chemistry episode. But again that aside, sometimes you you want to like I said, I don't want to know too much about you, No, you know what I mean, Like, I don't I don't need to know that part. I just want to, like I want to have just the right amount of distance where when we get together and do this dance thing, we're excited to just do the dance thing and I'm not like still thinking about that other stupid thing you said at lunch, you know, right right, like keep the stupid things to the studio and to the dance.
Speaker 1: I will say though, that like some of my favorite bonding moments with Pasha were in moments where we would just find one of us would say or do something that was so funny and where you get the giggles and you end up both just laying on the floor laughing so hard and I don't know like that some of that stuff then does happen in the moments where you're not focusing so much on learning the choreography, but where you go, I'm starving, we haven't eaten anything. Can we get Chipotle?
Speaker 2: Real quest? Totally?
Speaker 1: And so you know, I at least also to see for their mental health, these pros and now knowing from Ezra this past weekend that they didn't even have their phones to see them get out of the studio and get out of the house like some fresh air. Doing something outside of being stressed about your getting eliminated at all times is good for you. It's good for everyone, to be honest.
Speaker 2: No, and it's and it's what makes the show so fun is that it does introduce that element we used to have dancing on Dancing with the Stars, we used to have our packages go outside of the studio and be more like, you know, adventurous and stuff we still do for like Disney episodes are now like one off if it pertains to the dance somehow. But no, it's fun and you're right, I mean it is. You do build rapport, you do build chemistry. When you get to know each other a little bit more, you break you know, you break that comfort barrier if you will, and you guys are clicking and it's cool. But yeah again that could go both ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So they go to a ferris wheel together and talk about the importance of trust. Nina gets emotional. She just doesn't want to let Alan down. Selena and Eric go on a boat ride to drink orange and green juices. Eric emphasizes how much he believes in her and is ready for them to shine together.
Speaker 2: Eric is smooth, Yeah he is, and he's very smooth.
Speaker 1: Adele and Aj go to lunch, which feels way less cool than a ferris wheel or a boat, but they still exchange stories of their dance origins, and we learned that AJ's dad was a champion dancer too, and he pushed back his wedding by two months to be on this show, Stephanie, And again, what.
Speaker 2: Are you talking? Am I supposed to have empathy for that? Like you for fiance is just like you're gonna do what where with?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: You're gonna go on on dates with? Anyway? Pursue your dream. Bro, That's a good That's a great companion. Wherever she is.
Speaker 1: Stephanie and Tristan go play botchy ball. Stephanie talks about her family's history with the show, including her wonderful brother Ezra, a current pro on the show, and she admits that she feels a lot pressure in this competition. Good news though this time together has helped repair the issues between her and Tristan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good, it's good. She you know, she said something at a like OTF, which is you know, their solo confessions. She said something like it would be humiliating for me. Again, Like I just I just really feel for Stephanie and on this, you know, through throughout this process. I just think that she really did take a huge chance. She's right, she you know, she has been on the show before. This is kind of you know, her taking. She could have just continued to kind of linger around the show, maybe have continue to do Skeleton Crew. She already has an in yeah, you know, but she put herself out there to do this, to do the next pro and and really try to go for it. So I just know how much this means to her. Obviously it means a lot to everybody. Yeah, but I just I know where she's coming from. It does take a lot of humility to It's the same thing that I've been saying about AJ not having, you know, she she is having that. She has that in spades. If she had and here I dare I say, if she had a little bit of a j just a tiny bit of that quality, maybe she would have done things differently and wouldn't have been so apologetic for not choosing the pardon that she chose, and then continue to be apologetic and then continue to try to meet this person, you know, so like you need to. I feel for her because I think she's she's grown a lot through this competition and I got to know her even more by watching the show. So I hope she's happy. But yeah, I mean, she's take away the fact that she was very unlucky with a few things yep, along the way, that if they were slightly different, maybe things would have been a little different for her, but even having said that, she still shined. Yeah, like, once we get to the performance, well, you know, we'll talk about it, but she still killed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did well. With that out of the way, the couples start rehearsals. On day two, Jenna visits Adele and Aj, who she knows is one of the best couples, but reminds them the chemistry between them cannot look fake. To prove it, she quickly gets up close and personal with Aj to show them how it's done. The queen at work. Also, Aj accidentally grabs Adele's butt in the throes of a passionate move right. Jenna's responsors, WHOA, okay, maybe a little higher. It made me laugh.
Speaker 2: That's my bud. That's my bud, oh man. But that's the room, you know, does the process and if you're not from this world or you're it's out of context. Yeah that feels crazy, but that's the room, and that's the process. That same action outside of the room, not the process, yeap, completely inappropriate. But in the room, like this is your workshopping passion if you will in a safe space, yeah, go for it, you know, I mean the difference between a waste and a butt is just half an inches depends on the butt.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put that on a shirt. Jenna then visits Selena and Eric and tells them that they need to find more natural human moments, which seems to immediately work in the horny department with Stephanie in Tristan, Jenna wants them to settle it down and use genuine emotion, especially with Stephanie getting emotional with all of the pressure, and during her visit with Alan and Nina, she can tell that there's a great friendship there, but there is a disconnect, especially still with Nina's timing a constant note that appears to be in her head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had they had a great dance. They didn't have any chemistry.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not the same thing. I was like, well, it's a great dance, but I'm not sure there was a whole lot of even eye contact.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, because he doesn't. He's such a good person, Alan, and he's such a good friend that he led that again, take the lead on his decision making and cool. Great. You got to live with the results and with you know, with the choices that you make. So I didn't think that this was a good choice for him.
Speaker 1: Really, would you have you think he should have chosen Stephanie.
Speaker 2: I mean I think he would have looked so much better with Stephanie. Yeah, totally, Like between those two, I think he should have won with Stephanie. It's so interesting, and it's like that little difference, right if he doesn't have the guilt of a friend to choose to go with Nina, he chooses Stephanie, and then Stephanie doesn't have that moment and then Stephanie. Well again it's like we could we could go on and on hypotheticals, but yeah, I think that that one decision impacted both of their seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so It's so crazy too, because then so Stephanie made the choice for herself, I'm not going to choose Christian just because he's my friend. But then immediately she was almost punished for that because then he then Alan did choose his friend. Yeah, oh, I know, it's so Oh, this was a rough week. Then back at the house, Alan is making Adele the rolls Royce, her favorite food, and he admits the highlight of his entire career so far was his dance with her, and she would have been his first pick, but he is concerned for his partner Nina. He knows that she's in her head about timing and his future depends on it. Meanwhile, Tristan tells Selena he isn't giving up. He is fighting to stay in the game. Is he he still seemed dejected, you know, like and I get it, he's had a few weeks where he has felt and has been kind of shown that he has been in the bottom, that maybe he's a weak link. And even Stephanie said that the reason she didn't automatically pick him that they do have great chemistry, but that the week before his emotional state was a lot to handle. And I do feel like we really he lets how he is feeling in the moment really take over what's going on in the room. How hard is that to not, like, you have something going on in your personal life? For you, you're having a bad day. How hard is it to not let that just tank your dance? Not for you? Yes, not for you.
Speaker 2: I mean this is my escape. This is where I go to go go away from the things that I'm going through, you know, this is where this is my safe space. But yeh, no, I mean again, that's that's me. To me, this is my sanctuary, and it's like flow state in which I kind of forget a lot of things. So no, for me, that's that's not that's not a challenge to me. This is therapy.
Speaker 1: And now we are at show night. Everyone gets show night ready and Robert resets the stakes. First up is Adele and aj with the rumba. They performed to Teddy Swims. You got another thing coming, Val, what'd you think of this one?
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna refer to another story. I mean, again, I don't want to overshare, but I from my own experience. I mean, my wife and I experienced a miscarriage at an event that we were supposed to perform at, and while having the most excruciating moment of my life with and seeing my wife having this, I had to then still go downstairs and put on a show, and we made up an excuse that she heard her neck during rehearsals. And now I'm dancing with Max. I was like, Max, I'm not going to tell you why, but you're gonna have to learn these steps and we're gonna have to make something up, and I have to justify all of these people that came to watch me dance. So again, I am I proud of that. No. Actually, there's a few times I showed up and did the right thing that probably was not the right thing to do. That was one of them. But for that you know, thirty seconds or whatever. I mean again, my mind was elsewhere. Yeah, but when the music went on, I got to at least enjoy myself for one minute of that song and then be out to the reality that was in my life. Yeah. So yeah, I mean it's hard. I'm just trying to reflect on when it was really that that serious. Not to say that any of the things that they're going through is that serious, but but yeah, I know it's hard. But that's that's when you got to lock it, lock it in, you know, and really focus on the bigger picture and you know, kind of also count your blessings, move on and just you know, realize that the opportunity that you have, Yeah, and maybe not necessarily prioritize little you know, your little ego that got hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember you guys told me that story. Jenna told me that story when we were on tour. We were in a meet and greet and it's like because I I mean I saw the things you guys, not of course to the level you just mentioned, but like even just some of the physical things you guys have to overcome something that seemed that sounds kind of minor, but that is a big deal. The amount of beads that get stuck in y'all's fate, just little rhinestones all over that. And then it literally in the middle of a quick change, hopping around on one foot while someone digs through your the sole of your foot with tweezers to get a rhine stone out of your foot, and then running back on stage and giving it your all, and nobody in the audience being the wiser.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, you take pride in that. Yeah, this is this is why you get paid the big bucks, right, and you earn it, But those are the moments that you earn it. And again, I'm not here to advocate for complete self sacrifice for your work. No, but this is not our work. This is our passion. Yeah, and I am. I romanticize about sacrificing for my passion. I romanticize about especially physical sacrifice. I have a five inch titanument played in my neck with eight screws I'm sad that my career, my profession took me there, but I'm proud that I have the literal scars to say that I've I've gave him my all with no regret. So you know, Jen takes pride in those, and.
Speaker 1: We all do.
Speaker 2: The people that you were on tour with, we all take pride in showing up.
Speaker 1: So Adele and AJ with their rumba, what did you think of their dance?
Speaker 2: It was good? It was great. Again. Aj is a great dancer. I don't think he's as great as he thinks he is, but he is. You know, he's good. He's a great dancer, he's a good choreographer. I gave him his flowers last week. I think he took that so last week for sure, Again, Adele, I mean the essence of ballroom dances, especially in the rumbas, to present your lady, and you know there's a lot to present there. Yes, yeah, and you know she's she's a Rolls Royce that got a little autopilot on her too, So just enjoy the ride. Yeah and so yeah, I mean again, I thought that she's a rock star and he did a great job to compliment it. I thought that him kissing his necklace. You know, I thought that was a little cheesy, but you know, different people have a different swagger, you know, meters, So maybe he thought that that was really cool.
Speaker 1: And in your opinion, it's just not.
Speaker 2: And so maybe there's a few other people out out there that thought that was cool too. But but no, I it was a great performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, surely is awestruck. She did not see that coming. She calls Adella superstar. She does tell Aj to dig a little deeper, though it may have been a little out of his comfort zone. Jenna loved seeing her notes in play, and Mark thought the start was bumpy, but he loved their rumba content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a great routine. It was. It was a really great routine. They they had passion. I wouldn't say they had like you know, do I did they look like Did they look like they would have fun on a date together? No? They did not, did I You know, when you ship them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't ship.
Speaker 2: I did not ship them.
Speaker 1: You didn't come up with their with their No.
Speaker 2: I rowboted them to the nearest island, okay, But I wasn't shipping them on a far you know journey.
Speaker 1: Okay. I get it. Next up is Selena and Eric with their Argentine tango. But first we get a very natural product placement for got to the hair product. I have to tell you that got to be hairspray is the closest thing to glue. I mean truly, it is the best. Nothing moves.
Speaker 2: I remember, well doesn't it Isn't it called glued?
Speaker 1: It is called glued to be glued, Yeah, it is. I remember talking to the hairdressers and makeup artists on Dancing with the Stars who are Emmy Award winning year after year after year, the best of the best, and I remember saying, like, how are we going to get my hair into a bun? And they're like, oh, don't worry, we'll we'll depend on And I'm like you, but that's that's gonna take. So I have to be upside down in this dance. Don't worry about don't worry about it. And then they put that salac that glue in your hair and it's like you take it down and it just oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredible. It's like a helmet.
Speaker 1: It is. It is like a helmet.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Eric's brees it onto his head. I assume it was very candid. It's just natural the way it happened.
Speaker 2: Look, there is a nervous tick that we have of spread, and it's to retire your shoelaces a million times.
Speaker 1: Okay uh.
Speaker 2: And then and also to you know, your extra shine, extra shine okay, faned down, extra shine, extra shine boom.
Speaker 1: Got to be glued, got to be glued.
Speaker 2: It's a good product. And it's interesting that I'm the one that introduced got to be to the trailers because I've been using their product forever because I have curly hair that I used to slick back. Yeah, and that's why I grew out my hair because now in the bun it's like slick back. I don't have to use so much product much product.
Speaker 1: I liked last season when you had your hair all slicked back, but then it was it was still down. It was just kind of poofy back here in the lock of your neck. Yeah, it looked good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So what did you think of this?
Speaker 2: The best dancer of the night by far? Probably, I mean, yes, Adele and Alan. That was a really strong rumba obviously dedication to his mom passing, and really strong heartfelt performance. You don't want to even compare the two because they're in a different genre from each other emotionally, but this was the best dance of the season, and to me, he looked like a pro on Dancing with the Stars, and he, you know, took the lead again. I know that it took two to tango, but that takes three sometimes, those Argentinian knights, but they they worked together, but he took the lead coreographically and he just I mean like he was oozing. He got the gig for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a it was a really nice adjustment, just.
Speaker 2: Clean, perfect moments. Chemistry. Yeah, man, interested. I shipped them, Yeah, you ship them.
Speaker 1: I shipped them, not a rowboat, a full ship.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we're getting the ones parked up by Monte Carlo. Okay, yeah yeah, those mega yachts.
Speaker 1: Okay. The judges love this one, giving the couple a standing ovation. Shirley announces she needs a fan after their performance and says that in her fifty years of teaching, she has never seen something quite like it, and she says the routine could be on Dancing with the Stars tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Totally totally and it would get tense huge yeah, rave, yeah, yeah, people, I just thought it was excellent. Yeah, the look just every day everything stole the show was that was the best one.
Speaker 1: Jenna can't believe this has been inside Eric the whole time and now she wants to dance with him and they have both become front runners and in the competition.
Speaker 2: Again we say it and maybe it was said on the show. I don't know. There was a teacher. I want to give him a shout out, Graham Oswick. He's educator in the Ballroom Dance Space forever. He's raised many champions. He's a British guy and he used to tell me, like you know, you want all the women watching your couple dance thinking about, man, it must be so nice to dance with him, just like not I want to dance with but like it must be. It looks like it feels so good, Yeah, to be partnered with him, and the same for the lady. And you know you watched Eric and Selena's dance and I think watching him kind of help support her first soul in the room. And then in the final performance, I thought that, you know, every woman and man out there looked at that and said, man, I would have loved to dance with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, next up is Stephanie and Tristan with their rumba to somber back to Friends. This is a big moment for these two.
Speaker 2: Hold on. The song was called back to Friends. Yeah, oh my goodness, shout out to the producers. I mean, come on, perfect, perfect.
Speaker 1: What did you think of their dance?
Speaker 2: Honestly, very good, very good. It surprised me. Yeah, yeah, it was definitely his best performance of the season. And she looked great. Yeah, she looked really really good.
Speaker 1: So were you then surprised that they end up spoiler alert, they end up in the bottom too, as the two that go.
Speaker 2: Home, only because Alan and Nina just have a little bit more technical ability in their dance. Their dance was not the one like, I do not want to see that again. Yeah, I don't care to see that again. I want to see Eric and Selena again. May maybe I'll watch agent they'll do that again. And I'm curious to see certain things. But you know so so no, I just think, I just think. Yes, the top two couples were clearly Selena and Eric, but the other two couples, again, the only difference was that they just had a little bit more technique in the in their dance, and and so the judges just kind of, you know, had to say that. But Stephanie looked amazing. Yeah, and if it was you know, if it was any other night, I think she'd still be in the competition.
Speaker 1: Surely had notes throughout the dance about some bad timing and balance. So I guess it's not really that much of a shock that she didn't feel connected with this one. Mark felt like the chemistry was going in and out of their dance and it was lacking explosive moments. Shirley found it too crowded with content, though cleverly choreographed, but she didn't feel the chemistry. Jenna thinks Stephanie has a little bit of fire missing and that she needs to get out of her own.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, well again, steph is a product of center stage education and so this is where you have the Utah pipeline of excellence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, so Jens knows Ezra and Stephanie for a very long time, sees her grow up, so you know, there is a genuine empathy there, and she knows her as the kid that Ezra was just describing to you. And so to see that confidence start to leave her, and I think it will us because of you know, like I said, because of the show, and at least the not because of the show rather, but the last couple of weeks that she had experienced, you know, Jenkins sense that. Yeah, And I think when she said that, you saw like tears Stephanie. I mean, she's been through it, man, So I I just am so proud of how she handled herself. Yes, I really felt for her. Yeah, And I'm not trying to again. I'm not the one that is gonna give sympathy to anybody that's living living out their dream in Australia, you know, and beautiful, you know, getting to do what they love. But she, yeah, she had. This was a really grown experience for her and.
Speaker 1: She should walk away from this experience with her head held very high. There's nothing she could look back on in this experience. Of course she could look back and say I would make a different decision, but there's nothing she should look back on and feel embarrassed by. She showed she.
Speaker 2: She's gonna work for a long time. Oh. I love the show, and the winner of the show is going to be very successful on Dancing with the Stars. I know it. But Steph is going to do her thing. She's got a long career ahead of her, and I think sometimes you don't win, but you really take huge leaps forward in your career. This is that time. She might not win next pro but I think everybody that watched the show will walk away loving her so much more, and even professionally, I think her opportunities, even within the Dancing with the Stars ecosystem, will only grow. And like, I want to work with Steph tomorrow. If I have a gig, I'm calling Steph because of how she conducted herself in such challenging times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I I.
Speaker 2: Saw what kind of person that is. I want to work with that person. Yeah, and the talent is there.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely. Finally, Nina and Alan perform their Argentine tango to a quirky song for Passion. If you ask me, Mary and Hill's down at times. I thought it sounded a little bit like one of my son's toys. Not gonna lie, are you Dan? Well, what were your thoughts on this dance?
Speaker 2: Well? Again, I thought the samba choice was ridiculous. The judges thought the same. Yeah, I understand, you know, we forget that there's no phones in the house. There's no, you're not getting any advice. You know, you have kind of like, oh what do you think? And then you're like you have no no one to give you any sort of feedback like maybe not, maybe don't do that, and so yeah, so I know where he's coming from. He's like, oh, the more I show, the cooler it will be.
Speaker 1: You Like, no, shouldn't that have been something? They asked Jenna though, shouldn't it have been something when they were thinking about shouldn't they been like, Jenna, can we ask you a question to thinking about doing a samba instead?
Speaker 2: No, she would have said, no, She said, you probably don't because the thing is, it's like part of chemistry is the intensity between the two people, right, And it's like why we love Eric and selenas because you know, I sometimes you want a performance to connect with you, right, like break the fourth wall, look me in the eyes, like, hey, get me in there with you, and sometimes don't look at me. I just want to be a voyeur, you know, I just want to see you to connect and be one, like let me just be a fly on a wall where I may not even I should not be you know. So first of all, he breaks the fourth wall and winks at the camera, which is such a douchey move. Alan, I love you, bro, but I'm gonna have to talk to you about that.
Speaker 1: You got to talk about the swag meter.
Speaker 2: Oh the swag I mean it took a j's kissing, the marinking whatever.
Speaker 1: Makes that look real cool?
Speaker 2: Huh. It was so cool because he didn't at least he didn't look at me while doing that, right, you know, So there are times to break the fourth wall, not not the time when your assignment is to create chemistry with your partner, because what does that tell me? That tells me that for that one second, you're not really interested in your partner.
Speaker 1: Right, and you're telegraphing to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also you're making it about your thing. Now, maybe in his view it was like watch me get that, you know, which is like, but but again, that's not that's not cute either, Like, that's not showing you in the light that we just saw you for a few weeks. So and again I think all of that is motivated by the fact that that's his buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm not saying that you're not You shouldn't create with your friends of course you should. And there's a friendship that's already built. We spoke about that earlier. That's the foundation of a certain chemistry. But yeah, I thought that they didn't make really good decisions and the dance was just okay for me. Yeah, I didn't feel chemistry. I didn't ship them, and yeah it was okay, And especially going after the dances that they went after, it's like that's also part of the thing. It's like the order matters, and they went last, which is a great position to be in. But we were already blown away by Eric and Celine.
Speaker 1: Well, Jenna liked it. She loved the chemistry, pointing out that some of the hotter moments, but surely was not sold. She points out the assignment this was the Argentine tango. She thought they incorporated too many other elements, losing the brief, referencing that her son Mark loves bending the rules in a similar fashion. But they do call it Nina's best performance so far, and everyone points out Alan has constantly made his partner the best they can be and now we're at the reserve.
Speaker 2: Which is which is huge. You know. Again, it's a testament to him as a partner, and you know his readiness for Dancing with the Stars. Again, corny, not corny. This is just my opinion. You know, who's to say that that, My my metric of what makes somebody attractive or not is the one, even though you know I'm improven to know what I'm talking about. But he is a caring partner and that is a huge thing on our show, and so I think, yeah, he also has the qualities to be on dancing He has those qualities and they're being showcased because all his partners look so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, now we are at the results with two contestants being eliminated, and I don't think it will come as much of a surprise. We've already said we agree with these results. Mark announces that Stephanie and Tristan are in Jeopardy and Shirley reveals that the second couple on the chopping block is Nina and Alan. I'm sure you were not surprised by this, but in the end, Shirley sends home Tristan and Stephanie. Yeah, Robert gives them some final words of encouragement, and Shirley says, in her heart she believes that Stephanie is a star. The dancer's hug perfectly placed behind Robert as he says goodbye. And that is our episode. We are now down to six.
Speaker 2: Wow, just like that.
Speaker 1: Who is your front runner after this week?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I want to give Tristan a moment because he was very graceful. He was did say all the right things, which you know, almost redeemed himself. And Stephanie again, I was heartbroken, but I think she saw that coming by the time the elimination came around. Who's my front runner? I think after tonight's episode, Eric is my front runner. Obviously, Adele has the ability to dance. That's clear. You could just you could see that even if you're not a mole room dancer and you've watched Dancing with the Stars, I think you can see like, oh that's kind of like okay, cool. But because we know so many other qualities that are essential to being successful on our show. To me, Eric has come out as the front runner because he's got the look, he's got the sound, he's a gentleman, he's smooth, he's swaggy, and just now he showcased that he can choreograph a really good routine like that is what you're looking for, you know, especially again, and I hate to put that out there, but like it's a lot more competitive amongst the girls on our show than it is with the boys, you know, respectfully to all of us. Right, there's just so much talent, thankfully, there's just not that many boys dancing. Thanks guys. Baseball is great, you know, so so yeah, I mean it's just a lot more competitive on that side, and you know, I just think, yeah.
Speaker 1: I felt like watching Tristan and Stephanie, I felt like Stephanie was devastated by the news, and there was a part of me that felt like Tristan was a little relieved, you know. And I remember thinking when I was on last season that there were certain celebs when they found out they were going home, seemed like they were like, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: And there was a few dancers and.
Speaker 1: I can take it. Yeah, I'm ready for this to be over. And then there were the mees who were like, you know.
Speaker 2: Totally, I mean, we were sad. Here's and I I will say this to you as well. Maybe I already did, but I say this to my partners, especially when you know, when we get eliminated. We eight nine you're so close to the finale, you're sad because it's over. And I try to communicate that that sadness is not exclusive to the to you who got eliminated in the semi or the quarters. It's there for everybody that passes that like week four threshold, five threshold, because now you've invested two months of your undivided attention into the partnership, into this team, into this goal, into like and it's super fun. You are you have now lived in this bubble of rhinestones and movement and physicality and expression and.
Speaker 1: Just triggering all those parts of your brain that for us most of the time, I don't get to use those muscles totally. I didn't even know those were there that I could even learn something.
Speaker 2: And you just have a master at your service, I know, you know, helping you along the way. So that's really sad regardless of whether you win or not. Actually, you know, I wasn't sad because we lost. I was sad because that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's over, that's it, I know.
Speaker 2: You know, And I just had a blast for you know, three and a half months doing some of my best work being and then then the vanity metric covid all like being praised by the world so much of TikTok, so Yeah, I mean it's human to feel sadness, but again, after having done the show for so long, I try to be as balanced as possible. But it's it's also important to just be human and it's okay too to be sad. But that sadness wasn't just exclusively yours. Because you lost, I think, well, why don't you just say why were you so sad?
Speaker 1: I was sad it was over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe that the next day I wasn't going to have a call time, and that I wasn't going to have a minimum of four hours to dance with Pasha, and I wasn't going to get to you know, we were it was the next week was Prince week, and you know you've already prepped it. You know what dance you're doing, you know what your costumes are going to look like, you've seen some stuff, you've been involved, and it was like, but I really want to do that, Yeah, and then you you wake up the next day and you're like, I got nothing on my calendar today because it was going to be dance, and now that's it. So, Yeah, it's sad. It's sad when it's over. So but I did feel like, obviously Tristan's gonna this is his dream, this is his passion, He's going to continue it. But I do think he felt in over his head and that this experience was a little overwhelming and that before he could ever be a pro on Dancing with the Stars, there's some emotional regulation that he needs to, you know, get a handle.
Speaker 2: Oh totally. I mean, not just emotional regulation, he needs to get a hand on kills and yeah, a lot of things. But hopefully he does. I know he will. And either way, I mean again, it's like, what a great experience. But yeah, I mean I felt for Stephanie. Yeah, it totally felt for Stephanie. That was a hard like it was.
Speaker 1: A hard week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode. Really great talking with you as always.
Speaker 2: Val.
Speaker 1: The people love your voice. I don't know if you've read any of the comments they love your voice.
Speaker 2: I did, I did. I read those are the comments. I scrolled out.
Speaker 1: Oh you like those?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like those?
Speaker 1: You heard those?
Speaker 2: Double tap? Thanks guys,