Speaker 1: And welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Troy Tiger's podcast, I'm here Steckley with me as always is a man who is always comfortable in the personal area.
Speaker 2: He is Cody Stavenhagen. How are we doing?
Speaker 3: Players got to wear cups? Man, It would it would solve a lot of things. I mean, it amazes me these pro athletes these days not out here wearing cups.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's let's let's let's start out the podcast with a little bit of humor given what we've seen these past two days on the field of America Park. Cody so, Tarif Schooble is okay, Teris Schooble is okay. He just had a little bit of a like I said, uncomfortable in the personal area, I think is what A J.
Speaker 2: Hinch described it as. And what did Terrek say? He said, like what you think happened?
Speaker 1: Happened or something like yes, which you know I kind of respect that as well and look to be honest and just kind of keep the metaphor going here. It does kind of feel like a kicking the growing watching the Tigers flail repeatedly at the plate right now, Cody, and losing these close games, and I'll tell you if you want, like even just when they get an extra base hit like a double or something doing like the punch down and kind of the growing. I'm kind of tired of the growing stuff. With the Tigers kicking the groin pitchers and the groin punching the groin. It feels like a kicking the groin watching this team right now as we record this after a two to one defeat at the hands of the Houston Astros, of course, after losing a series four to two against the Yankees on Wednesday. So it's gonna be a tough one to thread the needle here.
Speaker 3: Cody's threading the needle right off the bat.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it's gonna be a tough one because what we're watching right now is the execution of a not functional baseball team. So halfway through the season, we are looking at a thirty four and forty seven record for the Tigers. Obviously thirteen low, five hundred. I don't even care about the standings right now. And it's a shame because schoo Ball, like, yeah, he gave up the home runs and that was like the anomaly of the past two days. But you know, six and he's there, nine strikeouts, like he was excellent for the vast majority of that game. It's just like gold Schmidt and Dominguez, you know, you know, tagged him and then Melton perfect tonight through five point one. He gives up the one home run and of course, like ken Lee Jansen, can't squeez, can't hold the Astros there, it ends up being a two to one. Yeah, I've watched a lot of teams Cody over the years, and not just the Tigers that like have good sometimes like pretty excellent starting pitching, but not a lot of offense to show for it. And I always associate those teams with not being well run organizations. Because, look, the hardest thing to do in sports, right is the hit of baseball. We all understand that, so by extension, probably the hardest thing to do about building a team is to build a team full of guys that can hit the baseball.
Speaker 2: So like all that I you know, is apparent.
Speaker 1: However, we have watched this offense repeatedly come up short in crucial situations, and it's kind of simple for the Tigers this year. When you have excellent or good to excellent starting pitching as they have consistently this year, and that streak of four earned runs or less from their starter. This is from the graphic on the Torot Sports network thirty and twelve when you score four runs or more, four and thirty five when you score three or less. It's pretty simple. It's hard to do, but it's pretty simple. This offense just isn't getting it done.
Speaker 3: No, they've had their moments. They've had their moments this month. You can still go on fangrafts and sort by the month of June and be pleased with what you see, with where the Tigers rank and a bunch of various categories. But then you watch the games, and you watch games like the last couple of nights, and it's a little bit of a reminder. Seems capable of getting hot, capable of having some good days. Do they really have enough? Do they have enough to sustain it? Your bottom of your order is James Outman, Zach McKinstry.
Speaker 2: How you lee like?
Speaker 3: Is that gonna cut it? Even? Some guys more toward the middle of your order. Colt Keith, who I still really want to believe in, has just had some ugly at bats. Carry Carpenter, who we've talked about a lot, boy likes to chase him some breaking balls. Spencer Tooricalson, never really know what you're gonna get, even Riley Green at times it really does feel like McGonagall and Dingler lately the only guys you really have confidence when they are stepping up to the plate. Sometimes Riley, you can throw in there. Hitting is the hardest thing to do in sports, So it's not about necessarily assembling a team that can hit the ball that can be Murderer's row. But consistent at back quality has been an issue for the Tigers for pretty much my entire time covering them, And maybe everyone thinks that about about the team they cover or are a fan of, But yeah, there's just still too many empty at bats, And like one thing spin it forward, like if the Tigers are within striking distance by the trade deadline, might they make a run for it? One way to view that is like, I don't know, man, someone's gonna have to make a tough call if that were to end up being the case. And if you're within a handful of games but still out of it, do you really have enough? Is it in there? I don't know. It's not over. Its team can play well, but man, I don't know if they can sustain it.
Speaker 1: I think the answer is a no, yes it is it enough? No, it's obviously not enough. Like if I were to, like, like again, I like to do this exercise where it's like if I were to tell you in January these things, you'd be like, yeah, it's probably not going so high. McKinstry being a minus one war plus war player and was he like one eighty something or whatever. And I know we've talked about him kind of getting some line drive back, but obviously hasn't happened consistently enough. You know, Wentzel not having any of the upside, and of course the injury. You know, we understand that, you know, James Outman's in center field. You've probably been like who you know? You know what I mean, and then like how you lee? You might have been able to hold onto something, and you know, give him credit, he had a base hit today. But like the answer is no, it's it's not enough right now. Like it's just like it clearly is not now is it in there? That's the complicated question, because there is, as I've said, proof of concept of all those guys that you listed there having a quote in there, but it's not there right now. Uh So like when it's not there, you're not deep enough clearly to overcome this. And the Tigers were built to lean on internal ascension among their young players, and in a lot of ways it has not happened. In various cases it has, but in a lot of ways it hasn't. And then you throw in the random bad luck stuff and the injuries and all that stuff, and you have a formula for thirty four and forty seven. So like, in a way, as much as I like wake up every day thinking they really could go on a run like they I do believe that.
Speaker 2: I do believe that.
Speaker 1: I wake up every day they did they could go on a run. They just don't seem to have it in them right now. And that's the frustrating thing. And I feel bad even thinking about that on July twenty fifth, But that's that's that. I can only react to what I'm seeing on the field, Cody, And there were so many balls today that emi through that. Again, I don't want a Monday morning quarterback this, but some of those sliders, I mean, did they reach, did they reach the end of the grass before they hit the ground, and the Tigers were swinging at him like seriously, like it was it was a poor, poor game at the plate and just like kind of deflating. You know, you get and then you know Dingler has the home run there and he number nineteen. That's still crazy too. But McGonagall, besides McGonagall and Dinglin, I'm gonna throw Raley Green in that people are down on rally, Like I feel like I know enough about Riley that I'm not gonna dismiss what he does.
Speaker 2: At the plate.
Speaker 1: But other than those three, it's kind of it's a hope and a prayer and that's not a formula to compete even in the what is a hugely weak American League.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and you.
Speaker 3: Could totally Jinch was disappointed after the game, I think because this wasn't necessarily like you just running to a bus sauce starter like Tessway. You may enter this game with what like a six E r A. He's not that good. Talking to Hinch Tigers hitters, you could tell, you know, his slider, his mo was kind of a varying slider. Sometimes it's depthy, sometimes it's more like a cutter. Sometimes it literally backs up, I think by design, and so I think that's what was tough. Like getting a recognition, seeing the pitch out of hand and knowing where it was gonna end up was tough on him. But Hinch said something to the effect of like he doesn't have a pattern, and I don't think he meant that in a positive way, Like they got beat by a guy who's just not all that good. You know, granted his last two outings have been very strong, but that's a guy you if the pitcher doesn't really have a plan, you should you should devise a better plan at the plate to beat that guy. And they didn't do it. They were chasing spin. I mean, it's fastball slider, you know, eliminate one, do some damage. They couldn't do that. It was it was a discouraging day coming off a series lost to the Yankees. You lost a Scooball start, then you lost a Troy Melton start where he was perfect through five and a third. I mean, that's that's pretty deflating.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is deflating.
Speaker 1: And and I'll tell you what could any to inflip myself and get some more excitement, which is why I've been looking for the best deal on tickets for Thursday, January tewod The Tigers are coming to Texas and I am going to be there, which is why I want to give the sponsor of today's video, Sea Geek a huge shout out. With over thirty five million download Seekeeek is the number one rated ticketing app. They're over seventy thousand events listed on seakeek, including concerts, sports, festivals and more. We got MLB season I hope you guys took advantage during the NHL Playoffs and the NBA playoffs, World Cup tickets ever heard of it? They are on sea geek right now. It's so easy to use the app. I went there, I had so many options to choose from. There are so many great options. Cody and I'm going to be in section one oh two, so look for me on Thursday, Section one oh two at glow Live Field. I love using sea Geek. Seekeeek has your back. Each ticket is raided on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. Look for the Greendace's but I did. Green means good, red means bad. Plus every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee, And of course I have a code for you guys. This is the code that I use Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seak Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory tent. Make sure you click the link in description the download the app, and have the code automatically add it to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Thank you, see geek.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, speak of Trek schoobl on a on a serious note, Uh, I just want to say I feel bad for you guys out there that were disappointed for his trade value with the home runs that he gave up.
Speaker 2: I know you're really hurting about that. Uh.
Speaker 1: But but in all and in all seriousness, Cody, you know, Schoolble, you know, really is the leader of this team. He is the face of the organization right now, and he is like the one whose voice has the greatest weight, right And we talked about him having sort of like the call to arms last week and how the Tigers responded, and you know, he kind of has a silver vibe even after Wednesday's game. And so I'm curious as somebody who covers him. I feel like has a pretty good feel for him. Like, what's your read on schoobl right now, given just everything that's gone on, you know, the team, the stuff with his arm, and you know sort of like you know, kind of us learning more information about it as time progresses, and then you just kind of have the cloud hanging over with like the trade deadline, the free agency hell, even union labor relations and all that stuff, which we'll get to here in a second. Like what's kind of your read on like how Schoogle is kind of carrying everything?
Speaker 3: That's funny. I talked to Schoogle for like twenty minutes on Thursday. I'll share all that with you guys one of these days kind of because some of those same questions were on my mind, Like this, it's just been through a lot. Everything he does now is a storyline. You work your ass off, you work your whole life to get to the top of your profession, and the trade off for that is you're now part of this machine. Right You were part of this multimillion billion dollar industry. You're part of the machine. You are the face of the trade deadline, all that good stuff. It's gotta be kind of hard, right, and I think if you had truth seer, it probably has been hard. But I do think the competitor in Schooble is kind of wired to try his best to block that out or you know, kind of put on blinders. And a lot of athletes are like that because he's in the middle of the season. When you're in a major league baseball season, it's it's not great for people's personal life because it's just hard to focus on a lot else other than like the task at hand and what you are doing and your routine and all that good stuff. Like he's locked in on it right now. I think it's a tough vibe for everyone when the team is losing games when school bol who I do think, all things considered, was pretty close to back to himself. His last outing, he had a forty percent with rate. The change up was nasty. Paul gold Schmidt has just kind of owned them beat him twice. If Schooball doesn't elevate the change up to Dominguez, he gives up two runs, Tigers win. We're talking about, Wow, what a great outing, And that's that's the margin of success, Like that's the life in the big leagues. Right one pitch he messed up, or you could argue probably shouldn't be battling nine to ten pitches with Domingaz anyway, probably should have blown him out, got out of there. So like, maybe there's still clearly there's still a level or two for him to climb to be like Cy Young formed Trek Scoogle. But the stuff is there. I'm not worried about that. I'm not worried about the trade value we've seen. We've seen in all three of his outings, he's gotten slightly better each time. The stuff is there. But I think this is difficult for him. I think he's being the voice, he's saying the right things. I think he believed the right things. I think he has the right attitude, and yet none of that makes it easy.
Speaker 1: See Yeah, and I don't mean this, uh pointedly, but there is an element of you know, you reached the mountain top and the only play you know, people try to not you know, they build you up to knock you down a little bit. And I think he has experience. I mean, he certainly experienced that with the whole Team USA thing. Of course, now we have more context and and all that stuff, So uh, you know, once he becomes potentially like the richest picture on the planet like that, will you know only continue.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's uh, that's just sort of that's the game.
Speaker 1: That's the game outside the game, I guess you would say, and and I like, I do like like you have kind of raised I don't want to say raise concern, but you've said, like, all right, you don't need to get an argument with a couple years ago, get an arguing about the umpire every out, and you don't need to get into a shouting match with somebody on the bench every outing.
Speaker 2: I do hope that, like the whole.
Speaker 1: Call the arms thing, like I didn't do good enough, like you know, that kind of stuff, which I do believe to be authentic. I hope it doesn't get to the point where it feels cliche. You see what I'm saying, Like like, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, I know what would help that winning some ball games, getting some hits, getting some hits.
Speaker 2: Let's go, well, there there is you know, speaking of labor.
Speaker 1: And obviously Schooble is a directly involved and b will be directly impacted by this upcoming CBA.
Speaker 2: We did get a Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: I guess plan, proposal, leak, you know, whatever you want to call it for for you know.
Speaker 3: They're just putting it out there. It's just all out in the open, this negotiation. It's it's kind of wild tactics from both the league and the union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, leak was a bad word there. They're thank you for corrected me.
Speaker 1: But the gist of it is they'll be they'll raise the minimum salary to one million for players with two years service time nine hundred k, with the potential for more if you're zero to one service time, no more qualifying offer, no more deferred salary of future contracts. Arbitration would be the same, and then the sort of the headline is that there would be a max contract. So the max contract you could sign as a free agent would be five years for two hundred and two million. If you sign with your current team, then it could be six years for a total of two hundred and sixty five million. So if you guys are NBA fans as well, just think of it as like bird rights essentially for the MBA. I think MLB is trying to call it cornerstone player, you know, something like that would be the terminology. So you know, there's obviously a lot of worry about being able to resign Tarek School. There has been, you know, throughout the entirety of this process. That's partially why it's been a storyline.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: My only thought about this is that if you this might be your best case scenario if you're a Tigers fan to resign Eric school is that he doesn't sign before the CBA and somehow this it's agreed to, and then all of a sudden, everybody's you know, got the same contract offer, except you can offer one more year and and uz a fifty sixty three more million dollars. So I guess maybe that's something'll hold on. Hope for Cody is that you get fixed costs and then school will come back because you're the only one that can offer the year and the extra money.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's hard for me to engage in the hypotheticals because all these proposals, I think you're just kind of noise until about February when the negotiating starts getting serious. I think we might miss a full season before the players agreed to this structure. It's it's pretty limiting. I don't think people should miss a full season. I don't think they will. I think there's too much in sin to get.
Speaker 4: A deal done.
Speaker 2: Was why.
Speaker 3: I don't think this will ultimately happen. So we're just talking for the sake of talking here. If for some reason there were an inkling that this was going to be like a real structure, then you and bank Trek Schooble would be citing before December first, going to the highest bidder, and maybe a reminder like why there might be a lot of action before December first this offseason, just given the uncertainty of what might happen when the CBA is agreed to. I don't really think it's gonna be this structure, but it might be something different than what we're used to. So yeah, I bet Trek Scooble will sign before December first, if not an extra year, and if all things are considered equal, like yeah, sure, that would change the calculus a little bit because there is no highest bidder. If multiple teams are offering the same thing, then it would be like, Okay, what are Schoobl's priorities really? Is it where he wants to live and be close to his family. Is it where he feels most likely to win a championship or is it like stay with the organization that drafted him. That would be kind of a fascinating decision, but we'll probably never come to a point where that is the decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very true.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take a quick break and I think go to your mic a little little maybe unplugged or something.
Speaker 2: It's a little gobe there.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna take a quick break, and then afterward, I'm gonna get to a little thing that I've noticed that might help explain the Tigers hitting problems.
Speaker 2: But first, a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on Who's hitting a homer? Playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: All right, coming back here. You know something I started to pick up on.
Speaker 1: This week, Cody, just you know, randomly things kind of pop in your head as you watch these games, and.
Speaker 2: You know, the Tigers.
Speaker 1: First of all, I'll go back to Scott Harris's introductory press conference. He talked about dominating the strike zone, right, that was on both sides of the plate. That was like what he desired his team's mo to be. And then you throw in aj Hinch and the coaching staff and you know, like kind of looking for every edge, Like obviously they thought the offense would be better than it has performed thus far, but they also aren't ignorant to the fact that, you know, something like this could happen, right, I think that is fair to say. So I would have anticipated the Tigers being one of the better teams in baseball at kind of taking advantage from the from a batter's perspective of the ABS challenge system. And so I went and looked at the numbers. So Dylan Dinglar, no surprise, he he's done it ten times, McGonagle seventeen times, sixty percent overturn rate for Dingler, seventy percent overturn rate for McGonagall.
Speaker 2: That's well above average.
Speaker 1: But then you look at the rest of the team and it's a bunch of twos and threes like challenge attempts, you know. And even Jake Rodgers, who I know, you know, design everyday player, but he's a catcher. He's only done it three times as a batter and he has yet to uh yet to win one. Actually, so this to me is a is one little stat point that explains a team that is struggling to kind of put everything together. When you're nine and sixteen and one run games when you're when when when you're four and thirty five, In games in which you score three or little runs, these are opportunities to getting better counts, to see better pitches to. What this tells me is that they're just not confident at the plate and in the strike zone as I want to say they should be, but as they need to be given everything else that has gone on. So what are your kind of what are your thoughts on on the Tigers like lack of use and in some ways like misuse of the ABS challenge this I'm not using it for to an advantage like it could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. There are certainly times I think they should use it more. But then let's just sort what batting teams use it the most. Number One is the Minnesota Twins, they're terrible. Twos the Houston Astros, they're not very good. Three is the Cleveland Guardians, they're okay. Fours the Reds they're not that good. Fives the Yankees, oh hey, they're good. Six is the Mats, they're terrible. Seven is the Angels, They're terrible. Age is the Rockies, They're terrible. So that aldis to me think there's really no correlation between who uses the challenge system the most and being the best team.
Speaker 1: Well, does it make you feel better that Jamia Jones is two for two?
Speaker 3: I don't think I moves the needle much.
Speaker 1: But look, but if if it's a very it's if it's a huge variance, which is you know that's what you just outlined right there, then it's still opportunity that you had, or in this case not had to try to gain some sort of edge, which is really what the Tigers are a try to gain an edge team, and this is an example of them not doing it like the every like. It's the same thought process that goes into all the pinch hitting and even pitching uh decisions, is that you're trying to get at any edge that you possibly can, even if it's a small one. And this is an instance of the team just not being.
Speaker 2: Comfortable with the players.
Speaker 1: You know, it's on them not being comfortable enough in the box to know when to challenge. And some of the are blatant misses by the umpire. Not a lot of them, but we saw a lot this week blatant misses by the umpire that they could take advantage of. And there's not so if you're looking for something that isn't skill based, it's field based, it's baseball IQ based. This is an area that in my opinion, they're lacking that is a missed opportunity if.
Speaker 3: You if you look closer on Baseball Savant, the Tigers have gained eight point one runs as batters using the ABS that ranks eighth in the league. So they've done all right. They've done al right since the start. This was like an intricate balance between volume and situation. It's about how often you use it, or is about when you use it and when you do it correctly. Based on the fact, you know, the Tigers have gained an estimated eight runs throughout, I'd say they've They've used it pretty selectively in some pretty good spots, and there are certainly times I think they could use it more, But I don't think that's the reason their thirteen games below five hundred.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Last year the way we talked about like the taking the extra bases and all that stuff and how like, you know, that was like part of their mo If if the Tigers were forty seven and thirty four and they were excellent at the ABS system as batters, we would be talking about it in that same light because it'd be one of those things that they're just doing at a high clip that's creating runs.
Speaker 2: It's creating wins and et cetera. And it's just maybe.
Speaker 1: It's not happening for a lot of people in baseball. The eight runs is good, but I just feel like missed opportunities there, and just like everything else going on with this team, the margin is so thin, you like, you just you gotta get old that you can right now.
Speaker 2: So anyway, all right, let's let's wrap up with this Cody.
Speaker 1: You know, we saw back to back outings this week from Emanuel DeJesus, and you know, I would I want to kind of go and look at some of his recent outing and I know he hasn't been used a lot in high leverage situations, so I understand that. But he you know, he gave up two hits on Wednesday. Was that Wednesday or Tuesday, doesn't matter, they'll run together. And he hadn't given up a hit since before that. Since May twenty second, he hasn't given up a run since May eighteenth.
Speaker 2: He's been et.
Speaker 1: I wanna say he's an innings eater, but he usually goes out there and completes at least one. This is a guy that was given, you know, a decent contract, and he earned his way onto the forty man with an excellent spring, and then the season started and it was it was kind of ugly, and he kind of got demoted to the blowout role.
Speaker 2: Either way, is it.
Speaker 1: Time to kind of give him and I think AJ has started to do this, But should we will we start seeing the Hayesus pitch a little bit more in higher leverage situations.
Speaker 2: Has he kind of earn that?
Speaker 3: In your opinion, I think what's what he's doing right now is working well for everyone. I don't think there is any need to really change his usage maybe and pitch a little more. He's been used very sparingly, which is one reason I'm hesitant to leap to any conclusion here. Other reasons I feel that way. You have two other lefties in the pin. Drew Summers has emerged as perhaps nasty, and then Tyler Holten's been a lot better. Strike throwing has been a lot better. So he's still probably your third best left hander. What he does give you is length, multi inning, so I'm not trying to push him into like a leverage role, especially with will Vest looking more like himself. I think he's a nice option to have. It's okay to have guys who are clearly labeled as your quote unquote losing bullpen. You want them to still be pitching, well, you want them to be options or if you need them in a pinch. If he continues to pitch, well, well I'm sure we will see him more often, see him in some different sort of spots. But right now, I don't know, keep doing the job. There are worse things than kind of being in the mop up role. Unless one of your other lefties really starts faltering. I don't see a reason to tweak Dejesus's role too much, all.
Speaker 1: Right, And you know, and in fairness, it will probably happen in some fashion because the hand will be forced. That's just you know how uh, you know how how these things work. Unfortunately, but it is good to you know, to see him kind of find his form a little bit more. And then, like I said, they might sometimes these mop up opportunities end up being like w's for for you on your baseball card because the team comes back, No, if the team is capable of hitting the ball, which not as much recently.
Speaker 2: All right, Cody, anything else? Before we jet out.
Speaker 3: Of here, I thought we're gonna talk about Troy Milton a little bit.
Speaker 2: More.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we gloss over that way too much. I was prepared to have this be a really late night because if there's a no hitter or perfect game, like you know, you gotta do your thing and and so like we would have we would have been burning the midnight oil talk about the greatness of Troy Melton. We don't have to burn the midnight oil, but we can still talk about the greatness of Troy Melton. Who what do you have five pitches that he got punchouts on tonight something like that, Like like just absolutely you know, Tiger's hitters were, you know, in shambles, but for the most part, the Astros hitters were in shambles against Troy Melton too. A couple of deep counts here and there, but you know, he wasn't perfect, even though he was almost perfect.
Speaker 3: I mean, what an outing, really impressive sitting ninety nine with the fastball cutters hitting ninety five. I mean, it was just nasty. It was another level. He's been really good and it was this was I think his his absolute best and kind of a reminder like this guy still has not pitched this much. This guy's two years removed from having a five era in double A. He's still tweaking some things, he's still getting better, But then you look at it and it's pitch eighty three in a third innings in the major leagues. Right now, his career era is two point five to nine. Like, all this guy has done is dominate. He's been better than Jackson Job. He's been better than Derek Scugall at the start of his career. He has just entered and done his job and again still getting better. Continuing to miss bats a little bit more like he did Thursday night is probably really the key for him. I think he's like bottom seven percent island strikeout rate, bottom fourteen percent's island with rate. So keep missing some bats with that cutter and you can kind of answer probably the biggest question. Really encouraging and terrible that the Zeiger's lost such a game, But as I kind of wrote, like, if you want to really zoom out this guy, man, this guy could really alter how you feel next year. Let's say you lose Scoople. If Melton continues to assert himself as a as a top of the rotation type guy, I mean, you feel a lot better about your rotation. You feel a lot better about the twenty twenty seven Tigers. It might be Scott Harris's best hope right now might be Troy Troy Melton continuing to ascend to being a frontline starter. This is an important, important guy for the franchise. I think it's been really fun to watch him continue to pitch and continue to find different ways to get better in such a short time period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know he is.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned School at the star of his career. We can throw Mies in there too, and some of these other kind of top pitching prospects that we've kind of seen blossom into in School's case, the best pitcher on the planet, Mis's case, an all star, and the guy's you know, pret damn good right now. Uh, the confidence level that you have and then I I guess I'm speaking for myself, and Melton right now greatly surpasses what we were seeing from School early on, from Mys early on, you know, throwing the guys that didn't necessarily work out, Matt Manning, you know, like Alex Vato, like you know, Tie Matt, and like all these guys technically higher draft picks, all those guys than than Melton and even Jackson Joe like like the the completeness of which Melton throws the game is far beyond his years, and one that does make you just kind of if you want to let your mind wander to something positive, like what could this really be?
Speaker 2: Is an actual, really exciting thought.
Speaker 1: And and again, had they won today, we'd be waxing poetic about a lot of things and he would have been near the top of the list. And unfortunately, you know, it's it's our fault. I'll take the l on that. I just kind of got got in my feels about other stuff. But Melton, But but Melton was great. Melton was great, And you have to wonder what his ceiling is because if this is, if this is the floor, look.
Speaker 3: Out for sure. The only other thing I want to say I did I saw Scott Harrison Jeff Greenberg leaving the clubhouse after the game, and it almost felt bad for him. So they just looked like dudes who had a bad day at work, probably because it was a bad day at work, because every loss right now for the Tigers is a bad day on the job. You can you're really starting to feel the weight of each game and ways good and bad. It feels great when they win, the losses hit. I feel like they're hitting heavy, as they should given what's at stake here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good note I mean, and then I feel it just watching on TV, just like the the the flation as I said earlier, and then just the elation of of you know, of the wins and what could be possible. Like I said, I do believe it's in there, but it's not. It's not good enough right now, so we all continue to monitor it every step of the way. Hey, thank you everybody for following us on x formly know on Twitter at Cody Stavenhagen. I'm at kan Overscore Steckley Pop page at Tiger Territory Underscore, YouTube, Apple, Spotify, You guys.
Speaker 2: Know what to do.
Speaker 1: We appreciate all of you. So for Cody stave Inhagen, I'm Kieran Steckley. Everybody, have a great day.