Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the White Tail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, Stay Longer, and now your hosts Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: The late season is the grind season. It's all about food and tempts. This is rut Fresh. Let's go.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Casey Smith. This has brought to you by First Light. You're Tyler Jones is here as well.
Speaker 2: We are fresh off of a difficult hunt, rut, fresh off of it run, fresh off of a.
Speaker 3: Difficult oh man.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate the encouragement that we get from some of these interviews from folks who actually are singing deer, because I didn't see a lot of deer this week.
Speaker 3: Saw a lot more crows, did you. Yeah, I saw a few crows. Yeah. Uh. We've been a murder here and there.
Speaker 2: We've been hunting here in the South and uh we'll give you a good old extra report here in a bit, just to kind of sweeten the deal. But I can tell you this, man, if you are still out hunting, way to go because quite honestly, it gets real hard to go. Like if I hunting season was five months long, I probably would just kick over.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a lot of output, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think there's some fellers that are younger than you still, dude, that wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Just because you're the same age as me for one month doesn't mean let's go.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: But I think that I was talking to a guy in a Sporting Good story the other day who was younger, and it would seem that he may not have a wife and kids, which can really make a difference when you talk about a how tired you are and b how many days you can go hunt? May not even can but like, are willing to go hunt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know for sure?
Speaker 2: And I think that we can take a little bit from that as a big ol matrure bucks ourselves. How are we making the most of our outings right? And how is a big buck making the most of his outings? I mean he's in the post rut phase as you and I are, and so we.
Speaker 3: Are we.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm just now getting the rut. Are you good for crape?
Speaker 3: Last night? I got home.
Speaker 2: You you put on the food bag, you know, you get fat and happy.
Speaker 3: That's why. Yeah, I'll be after the rud I'll be skinny, you think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I am too. I killed four here so far this year, and if I kill one more, I can go in carnivore for like six months.
Speaker 3: See what we can do with that. Now, you needed some ducks, Yeah that I got a federal ducks. Nown some fish is what you need? That would be good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it would be tasty. So Tyler, let's shift gears just a little bit here in the late season, like we're in right now. There's lots of things to deal with. I don't want to bring up a source subject for you.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You from time to time have target deer and then those target deer disappear.
Speaker 3: Uh, the ones in East Texas often, Dude, what happened? What do you do?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: What's what do you do?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 2: Whenever, like all of a sudden, the target disappears and you don't know if you even have a deer to hunt.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of things you could do. One would just be enjoy Christmas with your family, yeah. Uh.
Speaker 4: The other might be to go set foot on some public ground somewhere, or you could spend some time reaching out and saying, hey, I was hoping to put some more dear deer meat my freezer. Mister whoever land on her you are, and I was going to see if I can maybe hunt your property the last couple of weeks of dear season.
Speaker 2: It's interesting do you feel as if the the deer meat thing is a good motivator for nine hunters?
Speaker 4: I think it's just like a practical thing that you're telling a guy, as opposed to I'm going to shoot I want to go shoot a big buck. You know, you tell the practical some of the practical of somebody is not really a hunter, and maybe they're in the Christmas spirit and they want to allow you to do that.
Speaker 3: Maybe how hard should you push push? What that like?
Speaker 2: If you if you if they're like, I don't know, she just say okay, great day, you all right, have a good day, Merry Christmas? Or should you should you try a little harder? I think, I mean, I think that you try to carry the conversation. I don't know that you continue to ask, but you could you could say, you know, okay, well if you ever you know, have random people out there or whatever, just let me know. I'll I can keep an eye on it or for you, you know, if they're an absentee or something like that. But I don't know, there's just other ways to kind of probably I guess push as you're saying. But more than anything, I think you just kind of I think people like to grab their phone, look at TikTok and get some immediate endorphins kicking. And I think that if you play a long game of two to three years on stuff like that, you actually keep up with people and call them back every eight months, then I think that it goes a long ways and things change over time. You know, you get new administrations that have better economies or worse economies or whatever, and it causes people to sell or just be in a better financial position that they don't really feel like, you know, they feel kinder maybe whatever.
Speaker 3: There's a million different things, you know.
Speaker 2: So I've been playing the long game for about three years now on a place in South Texas, have you, Yeah, And it hasn't quite panned out yet, A long game of asking permission.
Speaker 3: Really, I'm not sure which one that is. I'm trying to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've heard we've had. I've been around for some conversations with that guy quite a bit with you. Yeah, but sometimes it doesn't always pay off. But you can still just make friends. That's nice. I have a different question for you. Okay, late season around the country except for the South. The Deep South is having some ruts right now. We're gonna hear from some guys here in a bit who are experiencing those little nod depart McDonald from last week, right and he killed a John?
Speaker 4: Hey, how many people have been on ret fresh and killed like the next day, Mike Consucker the week before, Jered Larson, Jared Larson, I think Alex Compson, Jery Larson? Is that like three times? Yeah, so it's a thing.
Speaker 3: It is a thing.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure these guys are getting some information from you. I don't even mean to Okay, so my question is just hype they're getting it is, dude, we're like just bringing the party up in here.
Speaker 2: If you don't have late season food, what.
Speaker 3: Do you do? Man, that's a tough question.
Speaker 2: It's a hard thing to but I think a lot of people end up with especially if you're public.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think you go celebrate Christmas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how you'd hunt them late season without some sort of food. I feel like everything is going to gravitate the food late season unless you're in the South.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean even here where a rut is in November, it's south enough that what's the tempt today seventy five? I mean we're looking at the deer. Don't need to eat that bad when it's seventy five and there are six month old does running around that you know, smell like all the dos smelled like a month ago. So you know, I think like if it was me hunting here right here, I'd probably be hunting like it was the rut. If it was me hunting you know, Minnesota or you know, Wisconsin or whatever like that. I don't know that i'd hunt if I didn't have food right now. Yeah, I think that's a good point. The only thing I could think that you could do.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna talk to some pretty interesting guests today that I'll have some thoughts about this. But I've seen Bill Wink in the past like camp out for a deer, as weird as that sounds, like in the woods where he's gonna hunt. I remember him doing that. He killed it deer doing that, and I think that was kind of a late rut deer. But you could like get into a morning hunt kind of place or even camp out and get in really really really early, and maybe there's a chance that you can kill it here in a morning, if you can get some bedding established. But I'm not saying I want to do that. I just think if you were like needing to kill a deer, it's a way to do it. And here's another thing, lower your standards. You know, you have to decide what you're trying to do. You're trying to kill a big, giant buck. I mean, god, you guys, it's this it's the last half of December. You know, Yeah, it's okay to shoot a smaller deer or a dough if you if you want to eat dear meat, you know, like that's that's gonna put that on the table. So it's another thing to think about. There's a lot of does out there in this world, and uh yeah, they taste pretty good. So you might eve could walk around shoot one of those if you wanted to.
Speaker 3: You might.
Speaker 2: I could definitely shoot one back here, all right. So speaking of guests, this week, who might have some like season tactics and success. Who were going to talk to you this?
Speaker 4: Well, well, if you're trying to shoot a dud, you should a stud. You should talk to duds.
Speaker 3: I'll mess that up.
Speaker 4: But Dudley Phelps from Mississippi, UH is going to be talking with us from Mossy Oak and UH. He's always an interesting character to give us a look into some of that southern stuff. Alex Comstock a guy who's on here quite a bit. Just a good friend of ours. I've known him for years and years and years, and he's a reliable source of information. You can bet that if there's something, if he spent time in the woods, he has a good thought about what's going on. He's been up in Minnesota just sweating it out up there. Jake Hofer a good friend with a good smile, and he's in Illinois, which is where he lives. It's the home state, and he's he's got a pretty crazy story about some success he's had recently. And then our man Christian Babcock, he's been out in the Oklahoma area doing the thing. And they pretty much I think they owned that state, actually they owned everything. They're part of Indian You know, so.
Speaker 3: Awesome, man, Let's get him on the phone.
Speaker 2: I have got Mississippi's coolest cat, Dudley Philps with Massioak Native nurseries. He's been Actually he just got down out of the stand to talk to us guys, which is wild.
Speaker 3: Dudley.
Speaker 2: First off, I can't hardly believe that you hunted ten to two today and that was your your plan. What's the grand scheme of the idea of being in the stand from ten to two.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's a Mississippi or Southeast thing, but me and my buddies have always just we'll go do a ten to two, especially during the rut when the moon is bright at night. It seems like, I don't know, I get a lot of pictures on scrapes and things from from ten to two when the moon is.
Speaker 3: Really bright and so interesting.
Speaker 6: That's just what I decided to do. You know, that was that was the window I had to hunt.
Speaker 3: You put my weight into the moon besides the brightness.
Speaker 2: Or do you do you think like you know, as far as like moon phases are different. Are you just thinking that there's a good light all night? So there's a lot of movement.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm kind of mixed because there's some new data that kind of downplays how much you know, the full moon impacts deer. But just I've been doing it my whole life. Everybody I know has been focusing on the full moon. I've had some great luck with mature deer in the middle of the day hunting the full moon. So you know, it makes me confident, and when I'm confident, I seem to be luckier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you tell me this. You were talking about scrapes earlier. Are we still in a stage in Mississippi where scrapes are a good thing to hunt over?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: And you know, Mississippi has really weird rut dates. So in the in the northeast corner, I would say peak of Estris is probably around the tenth to fifteenth of December, So I mean they're like lockdown right now, and you go down to the southern portion of the state and it's not until you know, mid to late January. So the Missisispi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks put out a map several years ago. It's like a rut date map, and it's pretty consistent. And I like to go by that if I'm going to be moving around, you know, the different areas to hunt.
Speaker 4: So with scrapes being something that you think is effective, does that mean you're in the heart of the rud or you're on the front edge of the rud.
Speaker 3: Or where are you atl?
Speaker 6: Where I am? Where? You know, we're probably two weeks from the peak, and so in my mind this is like the peak of checking scrapes, and I've always had good luck about two weeks before that peak date hunting scrapes.
Speaker 3: What's the mass crop like there in Mississippi right now?
Speaker 6: So I would say we had a no go across the board. Wow, white oaks a little, you know, they were early this year we had a few we had a few things dropping and it was mainly the earlier producers that we had an insane draft. And then a couple of years ago we had a crazy polar blast that came through in December. And then we've had late frosts the last two years. So you most likely won't find acrens. It's uh in Mississippi. So we're we're hunting a lot of food plots and feeders and things like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is there any other wild vegetation out there that you could spend time on if say you were on public or something like that.
Speaker 6: Honeysuckle and greenbrier looked pretty good this year. In fact, I just saw a bunch of honeysuckles earlier today. We've had a couple of cold fronts, but it's been relatively warm, so a lot of that native brows is still kicking. The stuff that can handle a couple of frost is still going.
Speaker 2: Does deer eat the Japanese honeysuckle as well as to do the coral honeysuckle.
Speaker 6: Much more so?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 6: You know, it's a non native, and we like to talk about how we don't like non natives, but deer absolutely love Japanese honey.
Speaker 3: So we've seen the same around here for sure.
Speaker 6: So it's it's kind of already too far gone. You know, we burned a lot to set it back. But uh, if it's there, that's where the deer is gonna be eating. There's not much food.
Speaker 3: Around, okay.
Speaker 2: So if we have still kind of some warmer temps ahead and you're looking at you know, maybe still being a little bit off the rud, are you gonna still trying to be trying to do your best to get out there because it's the South and it just is warm, or you gonna kind of buite your time and.
Speaker 3: Wait on a good front.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, as a matter of fact, I think it's you know, when things start warming up after a cold front, you know, deer down here get cold. Yeah, freezing cold. They're not boothing, you know. So yeah, they're they're kind of like us in the South. They just don't They don't like to be cold either, I.
Speaker 3: Guarantee you so.
Speaker 4: On a scale of one to ten, and the next week, what do you think buck movement is going to be like?
Speaker 6: But it's gonna be it's gonna be a perfect ten. It's that time, all right.
Speaker 3: I like it, dude.
Speaker 6: I mean it's prime time, you know, right before the peak of rut, when bucks are running around looking. That's the most fun time to be out there. In my opinion, It's been a bit of a slow start just talking to people. We've had a lot of rain on the weekends when everybody's hunting things like that. I hadn't seen, you know, cruising social media, I hadn't seen a whole bunch of them dead buck picks, and not many around my friend groups, so hopefully things will pick up.
Speaker 3: A little bit, hopefully.
Speaker 2: So dude, thanks for the uh the hype there with the ten dude, and I hope that comes to fruition for you and you get a big old buck here pretty soon.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you. Yeah, next week should be golden where I'm hunting.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's go.
Speaker 4: This is one of my good friends, Alex Comstock from white Tail DNA. Alex is a hunting full and been doing it all year long, to the point of causing himself to be sick.
Speaker 3: Other than that, how are you, Alex?
Speaker 7: Other than that, I'm doing pretty good.
Speaker 3: How are you guys? Oh? Good?
Speaker 4: You know, busy and like like it always is for everybody this time of year with Christmas coming up and everything else. But you've been in Minnesota and just it's the exact opposite of what it is here, and we you probably this is like broken record, right every time we talk to you.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 4: It is warm outside today, and I've seen on your story some snow.
Speaker 8: It looks like, yeah, we've had some some up and down cold. Actually though today it's pretty warm here. It's like dang near forty degrees.
Speaker 3: So well, man, sloshy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, very sloshy out there today.
Speaker 3: What is what does that warmth to do for you? Is it?
Speaker 4: Is it a good thing when it's been cold for a little while or what does that look like?
Speaker 8: You know, I like a little bit of a warm up when it's super cold, but not to like this degree, you know, like I like it when it jumps up to that, you know, like single like just nice single digit.
Speaker 9: That to me is like it's a sweet spot. But when it jumps way up.
Speaker 8: I mean I didn't hunt yesterday for the first time and probably a week, and cams were dead everywhere and real same thing today.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so the cams, the camp, so the movement was not happening as it warmed up in your opinion, compared to what it had been.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would say that's correct.
Speaker 3: It's in the late season.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing it's kind of just a cast in nit with the trail cameras and show I find a pattern on a big buck.
Speaker 3: Is that kind of the tactic right now?
Speaker 9: Pretty? Yeah? Exactly for me. You know, with my season, I've had a tough year.
Speaker 8: A lot of the bucks I've been after all year either got killed or by hunters or cars or whatever. And so as we got into December, I did exactly that. I just spread sell cams everywhere, found ub up to go after. And now I've just been pretty much hunting that deer over and over and over.
Speaker 7: Given then I've got like twelve days left of my season.
Speaker 2: So man, yeah, that's uh, that's the grind. As they say, right, what's getting that deer on his feet?
Speaker 8: You know, I'm just I think what he's doing is, you know, I'm doing a lot of suburban hunting, and he's going to you know, neighborhoods to feed.
Speaker 9: And you know, if I got on this.
Speaker 8: Particular deer, I've got permission on one little five acre chunk, so I'm pretty limited where I can hunt him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: Honestly, if there was more time, I'd probably try to like door knock a ton and get cameras up in other areas.
Speaker 9: But I know he's coming through here.
Speaker 8: I mean I had an encounter with him a few days ago and wasn't able to make it happen. So I just when the wind's right, which I only really there's only one wind direction, I can't hunt it. I'm just pounding away at the same tree, just waiting for him to come through again in daylight.
Speaker 3: Gotcha cool?
Speaker 2: So this week that we have coming up here envelops the shortest day of the year on the calendar year as far as daylight period. How do you how do you hunt deer when there's only just you know, your way up north up there, right? I mean, I don't know for sure, but you have like probably less than eight hours of good hunting lot, I think right or somewhere like that.
Speaker 3: Are you standing in there all day or are.
Speaker 2: You you know, kind of going in like high noon or what's that look like?
Speaker 8: I've just been going in for the last couple hours of the afternoon. So I mean here right now, sunset is like four twenty, and it's been pretty consistent where I've been hunting. There's a big group of does, and the does typically are coming through between three thirty and three forty five, so I'm just trying to make sure I'm set up usually by like two thirty. And I mean when I almost shot him the other night, he came through that day with two minutes of legal light left, So I mean it's like right at the end.
Speaker 4: So well, will a cold front affect that in other words, will will it get on his feet just a little bit earlier if you get a cold front.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So he had hit cam a few days in a row within well, the first time I hit cam it was like nine o'clock at night. The next time it was like five thirty, and then when I saw him would have been this past Thursday, and it was I want to stay at the windshiels like negative thirty two. So I mean like that cold front got him up early. So that's my where I'm at as my one concern is if we don't have like some deep cold tempts, if he's.
Speaker 7: Going to be coming by me in daylight at all.
Speaker 8: But we do have some forecasted cold temperatures coming up, which got me hopeful.
Speaker 3: There you go, man.
Speaker 4: So with that hope, what what would you rank buck movement in the next week on a scale of one to ten. If you're looking at the weather thinking this may help you out.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna give it.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go with the six just because we're gonna have some temperatures.
Speaker 9: That I really like.
Speaker 8: You know, we've got highs in the you know, pretty much around the eight nine ten, with lows the coldest low is negative five on Friday, and so I like it when it's when you've got that little bit getting up there on ten degrees as a high and the low in the negatives. You know, it's not like going to be crazy where it was because sometimes those deep deep negatives, I think after if you get like a long stint of that will kind of curtail deer movement.
Speaker 9: So I like it to be right. If it's right around zero, I'm liking that. So I'm gonna go ahead and give it a six.
Speaker 4: All right, man, Well that gives us promise going into the last few weeks of deer season here. For a lot of people I know down in the South either just getting started. But for you guys, you know, you start out and early and you get closed up when it starts getting into those temperatures. I can promise you I would struggle once it got to those temperatures. But you guys are built for it. And I'm glad to watch from afar through your story and your Instagram there, why I tell DNA. So thanks for everything you've been putting out man, and for the report there in Minnesota this week.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I appreciate that, and good luck to you guys too.
Speaker 5: H m.
Speaker 3: M m m m m m m m m.
Speaker 5: M m m hm.
Speaker 3: This is my friend Jake Hoefer of wat tail Master Academy.
Speaker 2: He's been doing some hunting in Illinois and actually successful hunting Illinois.
Speaker 3: If you know Jake, you know that this guy.
Speaker 2: Is the most unassuming, unassuming killer in the world, probably when it comes to whitetail, right, just mister smiles and last but kills them all.
Speaker 3: If smiles could kill.
Speaker 10: What's up, bro, Hey, not too much. It's a it's a pleasure to chat again here. It's it's always a good time to share what I'm seeing and to in to hear what.
Speaker 9: Everyone else is.
Speaker 7: It's right across the country.
Speaker 2: And I probably shouldn't say unassuming because you definitely know what you're talking about. It's just you're so nice, you know, but and you're not sough to share that information with us.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 3: Illinois is like what you would call kind.
Speaker 2: Of the heart of the Midwest and so very far from like actual rut dates. And you killed a really big buck. Was he doing anything ruddy at all?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 9: He was not. Nope, So how what was he doing? Yeah? So I would say there's even last week.
Speaker 10: Early last week, based off of some cameras, I would say there was some rutting activity still going on a couple of different farms. I would say this year specifically this year had been hanging out on a specific range of the farm, and ironically I didn't have any cell cameras that were setting me pictures, so I was just kind of going on a whim. And the fact that we had a really good cold front roll in Thursday, really cold, and I was pretty hopeful for Friday just because it was still cold, but not the nasty, nasty middle of.
Speaker 9: The front weather.
Speaker 10: And so I actually bundled up hunted Friday morning and saw quite a bit of deer, not the deer I was after, And then I still got to work to make a living that day, you know, like three o'clock, and I said, okay, where can I go and slip in really fast where I have an opportunity to kill buck that I would like to shoot. And so we had some standing beans and in an area where this deer had been hanging out based off of historical data and also just kind of a whim, and he just came barreling off the hill and hungry, for some soy.
Speaker 3: Beans that's sick.
Speaker 2: So are you targeting standing crops then for that kind of stuff or is that a cut field.
Speaker 10: That this is standing crops. Actually planted two acres of beans here. And what is also interesting, we had an east wind on Friday. I killed my buck earlier this year on an east wind. I think I like east winds, and I think part of the reason is just because half the farms I hunt.
Speaker 9: Can not really well on an east wind. And that's the root of it.
Speaker 10: And so this particular plot, think a lot of people make a mistake of overhunting it, and it's the shiny new toy they always want to go play with. And this would have been the second true sit over this food plot. And we had an east wind where I could hunt it and was sitting on the ground, and I mean it's ultimately worked out.
Speaker 2: So how does the mature buck like that approach a good food source on a wind direction? Do they have the wind in their face on their tail at a ninety what did he do?
Speaker 10: This was more of a crosswind, and so this is more of a cross wind. And I think every plot probably makes a little bit of a difference. There would have been a zero percent chance he would be vetted to the west in this particular spot, and so this field is kind of in a bottom and half stadium seating around it, and so meeting he's going to be vetted up on that back now.
Speaker 9: More than likely truly on an east wind. I don't know exactly where he was vetted or.
Speaker 10: What ridge he may have been vetted on. I could pick a couple guesses, but I don't know that for fact. And it was the classic late season big buck hunt, right, A dough family group come off the hill, and then I had another buck that was really busted up.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure which one it was.
Speaker 10: And he was a half rack, and and even the half rack that he did have, that one was all busted up too. So he came into the plot pretty slow after the dose already went in there, and I was just sitting back and waiting, like, Okay, when's the.
Speaker 9: Buck I'm after going to come coming down the hill?
Speaker 10: And sure enough he did, and he got into the He came down the hill pretty quickly, and then he would not enter the plot for quite some time. And late season hunting is really fun and it's also really hard in the sense of during the run.
Speaker 9: A lot of times it's you and the buck here after, right, or maybe you and the buck and a dough.
Speaker 10: It's not eight eyeballs or twenty four eyeballs or you know, whatever it is. And so those doughs were already in the plot, and I felt like they had seen my silhouette as I was sitting on the ground, and they were getting pretty pretty curious and walking towards me.
Speaker 9: And this plot was about one hundred and.
Speaker 10: Fifty yards long, and they got to seventy yards eighty yards and doing the head snap looking around at me, and I'm like, oh, oh boy, I really need him to get him this plot before I get busted, because I was about to get busted, and ultimately he did. And what's most interesting too, and this is probably interesting for a lot of people as they're hunting late season. This is I'm guessing he's over five years old. I've known him for two years and in October Man his body was big. He was the epitome of a mature Midwestern buck, really fat. And when he walked into that food plot, the body comparison of the broken up buck and the deer I shot, he looked like a two year old.
Speaker 9: I mean, he just loo emaciated.
Speaker 10: And I was really questioning if it was the right deer or not because he did not look like he when I last saw him right, And I think that's something to really consider. Late season is number one this year had a bunch of different injuries full of infection.
Speaker 9: My guess is he was fighting a pretty nasty.
Speaker 10: Fever and was not healthy, and after I shot him, one of his antlers popped off. So you know, this is one of those deals where late season, I feel it can be really really hard to edge a buck on the fly just because of how much body weight they lose from the rut and also a potential injury.
Speaker 4: Do you expect that, uh, in the next week that you could find the similar situation in Illinois happening where uh maybe maybe and actually it's still a healthy buck, but a hungry buck ride that's been through the rut uh and is and is run down a little bit from from calorie output. Do you expect that you could find a deer using a similar situation with some beans that are standing or something like that coming in before dark?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it's very possible.
Speaker 10: I think the proximity of the betting next to the main food source is going to be the biggest factor if you're going to be successful or not. And that would be so if I'm wondering, Okay, how am I going to PLU? I have a couple days off, I want to go hunt, I'm probably gonna think of the best food source closest to a primary betting area, or I suspect a buck that I want to shoot hanging out, Yeah, and not not all that doesn't always pan out, but I think it's very possible.
Speaker 9: I think the odds are pretty low. Looking at the extended forecast here and there's it's pretty stagnan.
Speaker 10: I mean, it was really really cold on Friday morning, and I think it was like nine degrees when I got out of my truck in the morning, and then when I shot my buck, it was about twenty eight twenty nine degrees, So it warmed up quite a bit even throughout the day. Sure, and so we don't have those kinds of tempts in the extended forecast, but I think that if we, I mean, it's the.
Speaker 9: Game of the game of weather and waiting at the year.
Speaker 10: And I think the other thing to really consider if you're planning to go with. It's on a lot of these lazy lacies and food sources that feels like you maybe get two or three chances unless your access is bulletproof, and more times than not, it's it's often not that you're hunting a permission farm or something that's not set up perfectly, and so you really want to be pretty cautious of going in and educating the deer because more likely you're going to get busted when you leave, or you're going to get the wind's going to shift, or one of the dose matriarch doos are going to see you.
Speaker 9: And so it's kind of late.
Speaker 10: Season's fun because their core short quick hunts, but they're pretty pressuring because you have a high house to getting busted.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Hey.
Speaker 4: On a scale of one to ten, what do you think that buck movement is going to be like in the next week, considering those tempts are not quite what you want them to be?
Speaker 10: I am pretty bearish. I'm gonna say the three and a half or four, and probably more towards the three and a half.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 3: We'll call it a three point seventy five. I like it.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jake, Thanks for doing this, man, and I hope that you are able to find one more deer to kill. I think it may have to be in another state, but I hope you find another deer.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 2: All right on the phone, I've got Christian Babcock with Hunter's Advantage. He's been doing some hunting all over the country, but in particular Oklahoma. He's founding some success there. What's happening, brother, Oh not a lot, guys.
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 3: Guys all? We're doing good.
Speaker 2: Kind of sweating it up here in Texas. You know, it's late season, but it's hot, which is kind of how it goes. How do you first of all, First off, congrats on the big buck. How do you deal with these warmer temperatures when you're doing some late season hunting in the state that's kind of maybe used to being cooler?
Speaker 5: Oh man, it stinks. You Just sweat a lot and try not to curse under your breath. That's my main tactic. But no, I know, I know a lot of people are not hunting mornings this time of the year, but I still am still the coldest part of the day. I'm getting right in the middle of some betting areas and really risking it at this time of the year.
Speaker 7: I don't I'm like most people.
Speaker 5: You don't got a whole lot of hunts left, so I don't mind messing some stuff up to get success this time of the year.
Speaker 3: No, that's a great point, man.
Speaker 2: So how are you establishing what actually is a risky but worth worthy thing to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm getting super tight to some areas. I know some bucks are in. Like I slipped in a bedding area the other day when I shut that buck and I bust four year out of this betting area before I even got in the tree and ended up seeing seven bucks that hunted and shoot it. Didn't see a dough which I wanted to shoot one of those too. But I'm I think a lot of things are risky right now, you know, just getting back in cover. But like I said earlier, I'm not afraid to do it this time of the year, and I'm not afraid to hunt morning.
Speaker 7: So that's kind of what I do.
Speaker 3: Got you.
Speaker 2: So, in Oklahoma, are you focusing on crops as food sources and what would that be or what does the food look like right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: The place that I hunt in southwestern Oklahoma this time of the year is really good on winter wheat. So you see you'll see a lot of your deer piled up and stuff like that. Obviously, you know anybody that's throwing on a corn pile, that's another good option if you're a southern hunter. But yeah, we hunt a lot of places next to wheat, and so that's why we can hunt a lot of those mornings. We're catching a lot of deer coming back to bed. But winter wee it's a pretty good food source over in the eastern part of the state. It be it'd be red oaks if I was still hunting the mountains right now, but mostly wheat.
Speaker 4: So the the betting that you're squeezing in on, is it dough betting, buck betting? Do you have any sort of differentiation there now?
Speaker 5: I just I'm just calling it betting at this point of the year. You know, what used to be betting in October was so thick and luscious looks less and less like betting in December.
Speaker 7: You know, it starts to get more sparse.
Speaker 5: But I'm hunting around river bottoms, just around around the river, so there's a lot of marshy nasty type of stuff, and it's holding a lot of deer right now because a lot of that other cover's gone, so they'll use that as they head out to the other more sustainable food sources in the evenings. That's kind of looking.
Speaker 3: Out, gotcha. Gotcha.
Speaker 4: So when you crash in there and you spook deer, you're just hoping that it's not like a big buck or are there are lots of big bucks around, and you're like, we're good. I mean, I guess what I'm saying is like if you were going in there and you knew it was dough betting, but you bust something out.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like, no big deal.
Speaker 4: But if if I saw a big buck leave, I might just go face down in the leaves, you know what.
Speaker 3: I just cry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 5: If I only had one decent buck, maybe maybe it'd be more of a consideration. But in this particular spot is a least that I'm losing at the end of the year. And there was two or three good eight points in there, and I say, any of these will do, and I'm probably gonna have to sacrifice one to hunt too.
Speaker 7: And I was completely okay with that.
Speaker 5: And one of the good ones that I was hunting did run off on my a en but shot as buddy, so I'll call that a win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, that's cool.
Speaker 2: So Ben, that area where you have pretty decent deer dnasty like that, is calling still working this late in the year or are you just trying to ambush?
Speaker 5: I'm I'm mainly trying to ambush. I did here a little bit of grunting, and I watched a probably a two year old hit a scrape the other day, which was pretty cool, but Calin is not. I'm sure it could work, but it's not a tactic that I use this time of the year, not very much at all.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, yeah, I gotcha. Cool.
Speaker 2: So are you using cameras much right now to kind of collec data on these deer?
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We've had a lot of a lot of bucks in the last two weeks that we hadn't seen for a month that we're seeing back on camera, which is encouraging. Some of those bucks made it past that rifle season in Oklahoma has and but yeah, I'm watching the cameras pretty heavy right now. It's not something that I'm not over hunting places because you know, as good as much as I do. Those December deer can be really, really spooky, so I'm only going in when I got something worth hunting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotcha, cool man.
Speaker 2: All right, So, if you're looking at the next week in Oklahoma, if you could give me a rating on buck movement on a scale of one to ten, what would it be.
Speaker 7: I'd probably put it at a four.
Speaker 5: You still got some of those cooler temperatures, but you're heating up in the mid part of the day, you know, going from thirties in the morning to mid sixties and maybe nigh fifties in a lot of places. So I think you're going to see a good amount of movement in the evenings or in the mornings and then the evenings right before dark. But it's still late season deer. A lot of those deer have been shot up and pushing around, So I'd give it a four.
Speaker 7: It's not impossible.
Speaker 5: It can still happen, but it's not a not something I'd be too eager to hunt this week.
Speaker 3: Cool all right, man. Appreciate all the great information.
Speaker 7: Christian, Yeah, man, take it easy.
Speaker 2: Lots of good reports around the country. There's still deer to be killed. It makes me excited to maybe get out in the woods at some.
Speaker 3: Point in time. I don't know, guys, I got to re listen to make sure.
Speaker 2: But anyways, if you do need to have a little inspiration, Adam Moore over on the Wire to Hunt feed has a article for three reasons to hunt the late season, and he gives some pretty compelling arguments of why you still need to be in the woods.
Speaker 4: I have an argument where you should still be in the woods. That's because you have plenty of time to get on your social media on your phone un somewhere there's a reception, right, and you can look at the element social media Instagram, TikTok because Casey be putting stuff over there, controversial broadhead content over there, that's right, but no animals will be harmed on TikTok. So if you want to see harmage being done, you need to go to some Instagram or Facebook for the element.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I go check those out. Awesome, guys, this has been rough. Fresh, Keep it fresh.