Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Nora Jones and today I'm playing along with Emily King.
Speaker 2: I'm just playing a long withee, I'm just playing a lone with you.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Nora. Welcome to the show with me as always a Sarah Oda. Hi, Nora, Hi Sarah. Just a side note before we get into this episode. I don't want to be annoying, but please like and subscribe to us so that we can keep doing this and you don't miss an episode, because it'll let you know you know how it works.
Speaker 3: Our guest today is Grammy nominated singer, songwriter, musician, and our dear friend Emily King.
Speaker 1: All around great human. Anytime her name comes up, I feel like she knows a lot of people, and her name comes up a lot around other people that we don't know know her, and it's always.
Speaker 4: Like Emily King. I love her.
Speaker 3: She's just like the sweetest, warmest bitter music too, and they're.
Speaker 1: Always her music and I love her. She's so sweet, she's the best.
Speaker 3: She has roots in New York City from the Lower East Side, and she's from a musical family, which you'll hear about in this episode.
Speaker 1: We actually toured with her last summer, so if you came to any shows in the States last July. She may have been opening. True. If you know Emily King, you're stoked to hear this episode, And if you don't know her, you're gonna be super excited that you do.
Speaker 3: She has a new album that came out last month called Special Occasion.
Speaker 1: We're going to do a few songs from that album.
Speaker 3: It's a very beautiful collection of songs that really hits you in the fields.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does. Check her out on tour. Check out her new album. Check out this episode. We had a lot of fun enjoy Emily King.
Speaker 5: I was not already the deal gave me a heart.
Speaker 6: I was still falling. But since that moment, I guess up here in your knee wondering batch.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, come back, George, come back, come back, George, just come back.
Speaker 1: I just need enough chance.
Speaker 4: Chance to make it better.
Speaker 5: Come back, George, come back, come back, Jorge to come back.
Speaker 4: I just need another chance.
Speaker 7: Chest to make it better.
Speaker 8: I was unhappy the day you left on my door. I was just feeling U shu.
Speaker 4: So love mischief.
Speaker 7: No, I can honestly.
Speaker 5: Shave ready to love. Oh come back, Judge to come back, come back. Chuge just come back.
Speaker 6: I just need another chance.
Speaker 4: Chest, just make a bit better. Come back, Judge, come back, comeback, Charge to come back. I just need enough chance, chest to make it better.
Speaker 6: Oh to think that he would be resting in my arms.
Speaker 9: However shall you George?
Speaker 4: How can be.
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: Judge come in, come back to come back. I just need another chance. I just need a chest to make it better. Come back, Judge to come back. I want let you go. Comey, come back. I just need another chance, chance just to make it better.
Speaker 6: Come back, Judge, come back, come back.
Speaker 4: Jorge, just come back.
Speaker 5: I just need another chance, chance to make it better. Come back, George to come back, come back, George, just come back.
Speaker 4: I just need another chance, chest to make it better.
Speaker 1: That was great. That was really fun. Oh my god, I'm getting that was so fun. Beautiful.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, I love.
Speaker 1: We were doing good on the switching.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 1: I was. I was kind of bowing right, thank you. Such a beautiful song. I was actually nervous to do this woman, you because I've seen you do it so much live with Jeremy, but also I've seen you online do it with many other people. Really, I feel like I've seen you do it Okay, maybe that's an exactation.
Speaker 11: I sound like a real SLUTU.
Speaker 1: I saw you do it Jacob Collier online. Oh yeah. And then I did this podcast with Lucas Nelson and he said something about how he did it with you. Yeah, so I guess in my mind it's everybody everyone's it's everyone everyone's now. Like I was nervous because, yeah, it's a beautiful song, thank you, and it's really interesting. The chord changes are very atypical and beautiful. Thanks. I love all the sevens and like, you know, if you were to just write the straight chords and play them triad style, it wouldn't sound right. All those extensions make a difference.
Speaker 12: Well, Jeremy had just taught me that chord he did win Yeah, yeah, he's he's like, you need another chord in your repertoire.
Speaker 1: Wait which one is it? Just like you know which? Yeah, there's all those ways. Yeah. And someone had asked me to write them a song.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And I went to their concert and I said, oh, well, I think it should be the most simple song for this singer because the singing is very simple.
Speaker 1: And so I went home and I like.
Speaker 12: I had this new chord in my pocket, and I was like, started doing, let me get this, I'd like to start with the groove.
Speaker 1: So I was doing, and then and then I wrote it for him to sing to a woman. Georgia. Yeah, ah, I was wondering.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Georgia, I know, but you know, you get into the story, so it became something else. And and then I remember singing it to Jeremy. Well, should you say, George.
Speaker 1: George, I thought you were a lesbian, But no, I mean, who knows, who knows? It could be in my future exactly. But that's interesting you for someone else, like thinking about it from someone else's perspective. Yes, it made it so much easier to write it. That's so cool. I should do that more.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I forget to get to like do that to get out of your head.
Speaker 1: It's hard to sometimes it's so much easier to just write your own deep emotions. Sometimes it's better. I do find that. Yeah, usually it's better. Yeah, yeah, I think I think writing from an emotional place is usually better. And sometimes it gets a little cliche and in your feelings in the most basic way. But I think if you mean it when you're singing it, yeah, it doesn't sound like that.
Speaker 12: Yes, and it's there's no too much. It's like there's always going to be a time when you need to circle back to that thing.
Speaker 1: And there's always going to be someone who feels that way. Yeah, and you can always change little things. You can tweak it a little so that it's not too you know straight up. Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 12: I mean I tend to go yeah, yeah, because it feels good, will do right. It feels it's like that's the that's the the medicine is to like get into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. Well, I love all those diminished chords. Those are my things now, I know they are. I don't feel like you hear a lot of diminished chords in non sort of jazz settings. Yeah, you know. I like how they add that. I love. Yeah, your background comes through, yeah, you know. Yeah, the jazz. The jazz is always there. It's a good foundation. Yeah. I wanted to ask you about your parents. Oh yeah, they're the jazz musicians. There's jazz singers.
Speaker 12: Well they when I was a kid, they were okay, they've they've evolved into well, my dad is all straight.
Speaker 1: Ahead jazz, okay, you know, he's the cat and mom is like.
Speaker 12: This beautiful composer and this that's so cool sort of has all different genres within her. But they saying, do you know Lambert Hendrickson Ross?
Speaker 1: So they were doing that style when I was a kid. Whoa, Yeah, it's very.
Speaker 12: Cloppers, Yeah, clappers, lots of diminished chords, lots of singing, lots.
Speaker 1: Of lyrics and yeah, but it was good. It was It was like a very rich music to have first, and then I got into like R and B and hip hop in the nineties. Okay, that's kind of that was the time to complete sense for what I'm hearing. That's that's the perfect combo. I love that. Did you grow up listening to R and B, R and B? I did?
Speaker 12: Yeah in the water right, Yeah, of course it was the popular music and we only had the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I loved the radio. And I got really into jazz in high school and I stopped listening to the radio so much, but it was there too because there was all this crossover hip hop and jazz musicians, right, so it was still kind of like part of my orbit. Yeah. Yeah, that's the best. It's the best. Yeah, the nineties I've seen you d you see ninety the nineties and nineties. Who would have known it would have come back around? I know. I think at the time I didn't. I wasn't really into anything popular posts a certain year, and then now it's just like that's all I can that's all I want to hear.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's also the nostalgia there is. I don't know what I'm nostalgic for exactly, because like.
Speaker 1: I hated in school.
Speaker 12: I was so so insecure and so really so middle school is the worst, the worst. You're like trying to fit in and try to you know, it so hard. Yeah, and you grew up in New York City.
Speaker 1: I did. I'm down in downtown, downtown. They call it Nolita. Now, yeah, it wasn't called that was No, it's just just like Manhattan, Yeah, downtowntown, Yeah, all encompassing.
Speaker 12: Yes, before the whole foods and before you know, there was more empty space, less people, less people.
Speaker 1: Boy, that's the thing.
Speaker 12: I guess if I'm nostalgic, it's for that, for that.
Speaker 1: Sort of less people.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that would be very less people, less stores, less pressure to you know, you go outside with a plastic bag in your hand, sweatpants and flip flops, and I remember there was a certain point in my adolescence where I was like, oh my god, I have to look cute out.
Speaker 12: To leave to go outside, because there's all these good looking people around now. Yeah, like, oh I'm I have you know, maybe that wasn't real, the real situation, but that's how you felt. Yeah, because like all these supermodels started showing up and like Europeans and people fancy people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Oh and then they started fixing the cracks in the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, here we go. I got to figure out my style. Man, your style, but you have such a good style. Thanks, yeah trying you didn't. Oh god, you're in a fashion you're junior high.
Speaker 12: I was. It sounds I sound like an old person when I say this, but I'm older. All the kids are wearing what I was wearing, you know, like the Billie Eilish stuff, like you know, we had baggy north face and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all come full circle. Yeah.
Speaker 12: So yeah, at some point a couple of years ago, I was like, I'm gonna wear mostly black because I don't know how to do like other things. I don't really know how to combine, Like you have a pretty.
Speaker 1: This is all I have I only this is the only thing I own with the color. I mostly just really Yeah, it's easy, it's easier to like, it's kind of easier always dressy looking. I like the idea of having a uniform, yes for life exactly and stage hopefully. Yeah, like two things and either every color or six of them in black. Yes, it's just we do you do that? If I find a shoe that I like, I just buy.
Speaker 10: I do do that. I have.
Speaker 1: I have a T shirt that I have at least eight pairs of the exact same shirt, same color. It's like a dark gray, and I think people think it's very soft. It is. I'll send you the All Saints took me up All Saints shimmer shirt. It's not. Yeah, it's pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 12: When you find something you like, send me more anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's good jingle.
Speaker 10: I will do it.
Speaker 1: All Saints bad they give me for that damn shirt. I also kind of wear them out. Do you do you get holes in your shirts from your guitar? I you don't practice that much. Yeah, well there you go.
Speaker 12: Well I get holes from the moths up here really, like in the wintertime, and I used to I used to wear out my jeans pretty like when I find jeans that like, I'll wear them every day. I can't wear pants, yeah, no, I want to do dresses, but I don't know. I've just always it's just been a tick with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It just depends on your body type too, Like I had a high waist, so pants hit me in the wrong spot. Yeah, they're always too tight up top, so they're too tight on me too. But I don't know, it's just like sacrifice pain. I have to tell myself don't wear heels anymore because my feet are like hurting. Do you so? Do your parents still live in the city. They do.
Speaker 12: Everyone's in the city. My dad is on the Upper West Side. My mom's still in the place I grew up in. Really yeah, that is really special. I feel like that's like not everybody gets to go back home, like, oh wow, you know, it's a nice way to say it, That's how I would way to put it.
Speaker 10: No, it is.
Speaker 12: It's funny going back home because there is so much Even when I walk down some of the same streets in the city, I feel like I'm not making progress in my life. It's a weird mental They're changing so much I think I really need new things. I need like constantly. That's why I love touring and traveling, because you just feel like a new person. So sometimes when I go back home, it's like I have a time limit how long I can be there, otherwise I start feeling like a kid again. I guess I when everyone has that.
Speaker 1: Mothers have a way of me like that, I turned into a thirteen year old even though we're not in the same You do too, I do. But also I feel like, if you're going back to the house you grew up in the place you grew up, it's definitely gotta feel like that. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 12: Or like she'll say things like, oh, but you never you know, you don't like doing this, and I'm like that was when I was.
Speaker 1: Eight years old. I didn't like you know. I'm like, can we refresh?
Speaker 11: You're bringing me back in time to my old insecurities and my old problems.
Speaker 1: That's a family thing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a family thing. Hard Do you have the place you grew up in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Did you? Guys, we moved around a lot when I was a kid, so I was set. It was fine, you have to make a new friend different. I don't have a lot of friends from growing up. Yeah, I have one friend I reconnected with, but we didn't talk for like twenty years. So oh wow, it's not like we were always friends, right, But really, because I moved around a lot, I didn't keep a lot of friends from pre high school. That makes sense, which kind of that's you have siblings. I have a half sister. Oh, but we did not grow up together. Okay, so yeah, it was just me and my mom. And wow, we moved a lot, and we moved a lot weirdly in the same area, so it would be like not it would be like the same neighboring town, but a different school district. Interesting, so you know what I mean? Where was that in Texas? Oh, I'm going to grape Vine, cotgl Yeah, but no accent because you moved around maybe well it was mostly in Texas. Yeah, but I also, I've been in New York since nineteen ninety ninety.
Speaker 12: Oh no, it's party like it's nineteen ninety night.
Speaker 1: And I was born in New York but I really Yeah, do you know what hospital Mount SINAI? Ooh, and I lived. I think we lived on twenty fourth in Lexington. Wow, so I was three or four and then we moved to Texas. Amazing. Yeah, so you're in New Yorker. Wow. I always felt like I was. Yeah, but you know those formative first three years. Yeah yeah, right, yeah, yeah, I mean I definitely am in Texan. Yeah.
Speaker 12: But you lived in the city too, Yeah, yeah for a long time. What neighborhood for the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: I think it was like, you know, East Village, West Village, at some Brooklyn, some Usburg, some South Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I moved on. That's cool. I like moving. I also like the sense of home. But I love touring. You do to, of course they do. I also, I don't know, some people really don't enjoy People don't enjoy it, and I understand, but there's different reasons for that. Yeah. I mean I also feel like I tour in a fashion that is really fortunate because I, you know, had success early so I can have a tour bus. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some people don't like a tour bus even but I find it super comfy. That's good because I have to go on tour and a tour bus. Are you going on a bus?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: And it's been four years since I have done that. Yeah, And I actually was sort of dreading it a little bit really, because because I'm so used to home, or I've been home so long that you know, I don't know, I sort of dread anything that I have to do.
Speaker 10: I'm kind I'm kind of like that.
Speaker 12: So the point that I'm in there and then you're like in it, yeah, and then I'm like, oh, it was fun, then I start I don't want to go home.
Speaker 1: You know we're dreading this. No this, I want this.
Speaker 12: I wasn't dreading. I knew everything in that when I'm glad we were scheduled because that was I was a little bit dicey. Yeah, I didn't want to rush, but no, you had to go to Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool, it's fun. You went. Are you doing press for your new record? Yes? That is exciting. That's exciting. Well, that always feels like a lot of like anxiety before you put out a record, like you're done with it and you're excited about it and you know you like it or love it, but then you have to go talk about it. It's kind of a funny in between place before it comes out right it is.
Speaker 12: I'm not a good salesman, so I'm trying, like I really want to do my best to make the record heard by people, but I don't. You know, It's funny because you have these conversations with the Lake and they're like, well, what is the album about?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: They want to know how to sell it?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so yeah, what is it about? And let's get to dirt.
Speaker 1: We want to know, you know.
Speaker 12: So I'm like, well, it's I was working in a brothel, you know.
Speaker 1: And then I got Then I had to get sober, you know. I'm trying to come up with this like oh bye, and then I don't know.
Speaker 12: I could think of I couldn't think of anything. And it's basically, I don't know that what people will take from the record is what it's actually about.
Speaker 1: Well said, it's not great to tell people what something's about because then they have these preconceived ideas. That's right, And I think the reason music is so beautiful is that you can put it out there and people can relate to it however they want to.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I totally are really yes, I totally agree people, yeah, especially to sell music now because it's hard to They really want they want to have like a hook and story for people.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's like, is it a makeup album? Is it a break about it's you know, so it's sort of hard to explain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to explain it to me. Oh, thank you the one place because already no, right, I know you do. But I'm also like, I just love getting inside these new songs. Thank you, Thank you for listening to them. Yeah, I mean I think we should do one and then it would be fun get to make their own decisions.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they could hate it, you know, move on to the next broad exactly.
Speaker 1: No, No, nothing's fraudulent here. Should we try that one? You did a song with Lucas. Yeah, Lucas it Nell says. He's so sweet. He really is a sweetheart. And his voice it's beautiful, so beautiful. He just keeps getting better and better. I love what you guys did together. We had so much fun because I've known him forever, but we've got to like sit and actually be together for a few hours and play music and talk and it was beautiful. I've never met him really. No, what, Oh, and you did this online? So you did like a remote? Did you actually see each other online or do you just send stuff back and forth? We just sent stuff back and forth. That's so crazy, right, I know, it's funny, it's crazy.
Speaker 12: I feel like I know him because I'm on his Instagram page all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's easy to get to know. Yeah. I think that's a nice way to say. Yeah, in a good way, Like he's he's open and he reaches out and he's super kind and loves He's a love. I'm sweet. All right, let me get my lyrics. Do you want to take a verse? You were me to take his verse? Yeah, if you're comfortable with it, I would love to so. Yeah. I love the song Let's check hioks, you look beautiful? Oh stop, you.
Speaker 7: Give me a bad.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: All this shows a good times we hid Toyllo reason loving you.
Speaker 13: All this makes me said, you are too hard to forget. I'm drowning and regret, oh darding.
Speaker 4: Won't you let me free? You still dream about the past.
Speaker 6: I'm rounding from it fast?
Speaker 4: Don't I want to ask about my story? I care?
Speaker 5: Let it be.
Speaker 4: I've got a bad, bad memory. You give me an age in my.
Speaker 14: Everything reminds me you used to have a kind red collection. Everything, every memory just makes me you are to how to forget.
Speaker 13: I'm drowning in redred, Oh dared, and won't you let me free? Extusie about the best I'm riding from it fast.
Speaker 4: Don't ask about my story. I care letting it be.
Speaker 9: I've got a bad bad memory. You are too how to fucket?
Speaker 14: I'm drowning men regret, Oh God, and won't you let me free?
Speaker 4: You still dream about the best story? Riding from it first? Don't ask by my story.
Speaker 15: I can't let it be.
Speaker 9: I've got a bad bad memory.
Speaker 4: I care let it be.
Speaker 9: I've got a bad bad memory.
Speaker 4: You'll let it be. I've got a bad bad memory.
Speaker 1: It's a perfect ending. It was good. That was awesome. That was so pretty. I messed up a lyric, but I kind of fixed it was perfect. Okay, Yeah, I didn't know how much everything is. Lucas is gonna call me and be you had a lyric, dear you, that's so cool. Though you wrote this with Lucas too, or he just sang on it. He's sang on this one so well.
Speaker 12: So he definitely inspired this one because his song Georgia, when we did that Georgia exchange, it got in my psyche.
Speaker 1: And when I started writing this, I was like, oh.
Speaker 12: I hear Lucas's voice on here, and only later did I realize it was directly like inspired.
Speaker 1: Is kind of similar. So I called him up. I was like, am I ripping you off? Is this okay? Oh? Well that's great, that's one way to do so I.
Speaker 12: Think he you know, if all people understands how songwriting works, it's like you get inspired and things, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that there is no songwriting without being inspired by other songs, right, That's what I think. We don't come up with everything, no, though, I will say I've been listening to a lot of pop radio with my kids. Oh, and there are definitely a few songs that, like production and everything are clearly ripping off songs from the nineties Hello we grew up with. But it's funny because I don't realize it at first, and I just love the song. Yeah, you're like, why this is a jam?
Speaker 12: I'm into this, like that weekend song. I just realized what is from the nineties that song?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember what song writing now, But so he's well, he sings a song that I was like, Oh, that's I don't want to know if you're playing me, I.
Speaker 12: Don't know it's on the radio all the time. But I was like, that's familiar, and it's from the night. It's a total cover from the night.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an actual sound like Grandma, Yes, where Granny is by actual cover. But it's fine, like sometimes I am, but it's good sometimes. Also when they use that production and blatantly copy it, yeah, it's like clearly not an accident. Actually, I just love it even more so I don't really care, you know what, like when did we when? When did we decide that it was bad to do something again? You know, I guess, I guess if the original person never got paid well paid a lot, that's the answer. That's when it matters. That's when it's bad.
Speaker 12: Yeah, if you're not, you're yeah, totally I know so.
Speaker 1: But if they are, then it's really good. Yeah, it's great for everyone. The spread the money, spread it around, and you know some folks need that so especially back in the day. Ye, back in the day, what kind of deals they were doing? God, speaking of deals, I do have a question for you. Okay, when we went on a walk, Yeah, you told me something I didn't know, really, Yeah.
Speaker 10: You when did so?
Speaker 1: Okay? Wait, what order should I ask it. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: You told me.
Speaker 1: You told me that you got signed by Clive Davis. Yeah, is that a secretor no? Oh yeah, okay, that's crazy.
Speaker 12: That was Peter peters Edge was the anara there that really put me on and then brought me to Clive.
Speaker 1: What year was this, This was two thousand and three. Okay, yeah, so, and that was around the time that Clive had Alicia Keys. Yes, she was. She was so, she was huge, she was. They would send me clip pictures of her like, Okay, first of all, I love Alicia. Oh I love her so much.
Speaker 12: So I'm just but it was back in the day I had a different idea of her because they were like, you need to be Alicia Keys. They were trying to just have you be the next Yeah, They're like, you have a guitar and she has a piano.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 12: It was really like not good for a young person to compare themselves constantly with someone else, but they were feeding that. Yeah, Like they sent me text message of like Alicia jogging on the beach with abs and they're like you should do that.
Speaker 7: You serious?
Speaker 1: It was like very strange. Okay, that is strange. It was.
Speaker 12: It was a strange environment, but I'm so grateful for it because all of these ideas I had about and I wanted that I wanted to be in the major label situation. And this was before the Internet, when it was still yeah yeah, I was like, I'm like, I'm going to be as big success, you know, And I learned all these valuable lessons along the way.
Speaker 1: And it was hard and it was all.
Speaker 12: The things, and then finally it wasn't a success, you know, and in retrospect, thank god, because it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Really what I was trying to do, Like musically was did you you made an album? Though? And yeah, I mean I I so. I met CHUCKI.
Speaker 12: Thompson rest his soul, amazing Chucky Thompson, and he was my teacher and my guide through that process, and I signed a production deal with.
Speaker 1: Him, which is what you did back then.
Speaker 12: Yeah that's right, you know, and then through him, I signed with them, and then we had this like three years of artist development, which is.
Speaker 1: Like at a time at the salon, that's a wormhole.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was, that is crazy. It was like writing with try this, yeah, try this, writer.
Speaker 1: Away that didn't fit, try this, Yeah, let's try this. Oh, we know, Oh you know what.
Speaker 12: We want you to sound like Lauren Hill. Here's her producers, and we want you to sound like D'Angelo here's his you know. So it was like constantly like, well when do I get a chance to.
Speaker 1: Figure out who I am?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 1: And that sounds like a factory. It was. It was, and again like a lot. I learned a lot from it, and a lot of people come out of that that scenario finding themselves, but not not everyone. Yeah, no, I mean I could.
Speaker 12: I thank god I had the support around me and my family and you know, they were just keeping me honest.
Speaker 1: I kind of Yeah, you have to have someone keeping you honest, or you have to sucked into whatever it is that people are telling you to do. Oh yeah, and you'll start singing about stuff that five years down the line, you're gonna be like, I'm never gonna say those words again.
Speaker 12: I know my whole first record, I mean, I put so much time and effort into it, and I remember it got nominated for a Grammy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 16: I know.
Speaker 1: See, I don't really know a lot about your history. Well that's fine, amazing talk about.
Speaker 12: I just bring that up to say, like I remember being at this Grammy party and just feeling like not one hundred percent confident because I came from this really really musical upbringing, and I knew that I had made compromises with the record that I made, you know, and that felt really bad to me because it was always music first in my life with my family, and then at some point it became like hairstyle first, or fashion or you know, fame, fame first.
Speaker 1: It got caught up in that machine.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the people said, well, do it our way now, and when that's a success, you can do it your way.
Speaker 1: And it's so backwards it works. It actually doesn't ever work. Yeah, because people people can hear even if they don't know anything about songwriting or production or they don't care, they can hear your heart through the through the radio. Yes, you know, and there we was.
Speaker 12: There was definitely people who would tell me that then anyway, it was what it was, and I'm grateful for it, and you know, you.
Speaker 1: Got a great story after that. I got dropped, I got fired, And did that feel like a relief or a failure at that time? Both?
Speaker 12: Yeah, because I didn't have any money, of course, yeah, you're a musician, and I didn't have an. I was happy to part ways musically that didn't work out, and like having an an art you know, although shout out to Peter because he's, you know, an important person in my in my development. No, that's part of their they're in the machine too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: But I fortunately met my producer just as I was leaving them, who was my guitar player at the time, and then he became my producer, Jeremy most So there was like a transition. That's a good transition.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Was I was lucky? Wow? Well I didn't know any of that. Yeah, it's kind of crazy. Did you have those experiences? I didn't I had. I was doing jazz gigs and then I was I had just started writing songs. I had only been to New York about eight months. Wow. I dropped out of jam Texas. Yeah. I dropped out of jazz college and I moved to New York after the right choice. Wow, I mean, what do you say? It like that? But I learned a lot and then I left when I was like, Okay, I don't want to get a degree in education. Yeah, you know, I don't think that's what I'm going to do. But I came and I was doing jazz gigs around town, but mostly in restaurants because I mean I hadn't even I couldn't even get a gig at a club, right, you know, I wasn't even that scene. Yeah, But then I started hanging out the living room. Did you ever hang out there? No?
Speaker 12: That was before my year younger. They closed after it room.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, so I started hanging out with Jesse, Harris, Richard Julian, all these songwriters. We became really good friends. And at a certain point, Jesse booked a gig for me to sing his songs at the living room because it was a songwriter a club, right, And so I was singing his songs and I threw in like the two songs I wrote, and my bass player at the time, Lee Alexander, was writing songs. So we did a few of his songs. Oh that's cool. And then I was doing some jazz gig and someone saw me and liked the way I was singing and playing and got me a meeting with Bruce len Vallave Luno. Wow, and then they ended up signing I did the same thing. It was like a demo deal. It gave me money to make some more recordings. It wasn't the same thing because it wasn't a full on production, wasn't like a sixth album deal. No, And they weren't. They weren't involved in the recordings I was making so much. But I think the general idea was try to work on the songwriting project and not the straight ahead jazz project, and it ended up becoming the record was that little band with Jesse and Lee.
Speaker 12: Do you think that's because I mean, because there wasn't pressure for it to be the record or I think, well, there was this whole roundabout thing where I actually ended up using a producer.
Speaker 1: I really loved Craig Street, who did a great job producing the kind of music I wanted to because I was in love with Cassandra Wilson that record daughter, Do you know that record? Is that one with Harvest Meat? Yeah? Oh my god, that's the best beautiful. I loved that record. I still do, and so I got Craig to produce it, and Craig did a great job. But it was very dark and moody, kind of like you know, it wasn't a lot like that record. It was very much not trying to be that record, but it had more of a dark moodiness, and we ended up going back and using like some of the demos I made for the record. Wow, And so I didn't know. It didn't sound like the same situation. It sounded a little more free. Nice. You loved it. I loved it, But I loved it. I did love it, but I also was twenty two. Yeah, I was still fake, like I loved singing Jesse songs, but I didn't want to do that. Only right, because you're a songwriter, Well, I wasn't yet. I only had like two songs on that record. I was just starting to write songs and I was scared of it, right, And so now I feel very confident saying I'm a songwriter. Yeah, then I didn't, right, I still finding myself. But I definitely felt like I had some room to do that. But you were such a good storyteller. Of the songs that were on that record, it felt like it was your song. Some of them felt like my songs. I mean. I also, I think because I grew up singing jazz, Yeah, it was all right trying to sell those stories, right, Yes, did you grow up singing jazz? Yeah with your parents? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite favorite song? Maybe we used to go to our tur We still do.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, I love our tur My dad would teach a vocal class there with the incredible Harry Whittaker. Am it was since past, but he was an angel, and you know, all the singers would go there and I would always sing if.
Speaker 1: You could see me now.
Speaker 12: I don't know why I related so much of that song as a youth, If you could see me now, you know how blu up been. But there's just so many incredible songs. I mean, so many off the top of my head. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I know, it's it's hard to remember. I was thinking of a We'd bust one. Do you have a favorite one? It's hard for me too. I used to saying, I'll be seeing you.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 1: And it was a straight ripoff of Edda James's version, which was a Billie Holiday tribute. So it was like a twice removed ripoff. Yeah, but in a beautiful way. Sometimes it gets better when it's it's just like it's like the game of telephone. It just keeps changing. Yeah, they keep changing.
Speaker 12: Certainly, I don't always love the original recordings of things. Yeah, but it never entered my mind, is so uh Harry used to play that all the time. Really so beautiful.
Speaker 4: So when I do you say the let me play.
Speaker 17: So uneasy minch.
Speaker 6: It never entered myma, what you told me.
Speaker 4: That I'd awaken.
Speaker 1: Thought it's so pretty, little snippet and then they'll kill me because they have to get clearance for everything.
Speaker 4: So pretty.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so beautiful. Have you ever thought of doing a jazz record? Is too close to him?
Speaker 12: I don't think I sing jazz very well. You don't think about that yet.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 12: I honestly get really nervous when I sing jazz.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 12: That's fine, just feels like such a it has to be represented, you know.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I also feel like if your parents grew up singing more of a Lambert Hendricks and rastyle, which is completely opposite of what I grew up kind of playing that's also with its own weight, like history, like a jazz history style, almost as very complicated and complex. Yeah, totally hard to do, like a rhythmic. I think, yeah, yeah, well, what kind did you grow up? That is a lot of ballads? Yeah yeah, I did some like you know, mellow swing, but I could never play fast and I have this hilarious recording of me in high school Ska singing you know I tried it, don't fun. Don't ask me this gas, don't ask me. I have a friend Sasha Dobson. She actually does it really well and teastefully without it being you know that. It's a rare thing. It's rare. Yeah. I feel like only Ella could scat and not to scout like Ella. If I could scot like Ella, I would scat all the time. Yeah, yeah, I would scatter all over the play taking easy. Yeah, but yeah, that's a hard thing to pull off. Oh my god.
Speaker 12: My brother can scat really, and both my parents. But yeah, because it because the rhythmic thing that's part of that.
Speaker 1: Tradition, especially if you're in the Lambert Hendrickson Roth style of like Bbop and the Yeah. So that was that was cool. But yeah, the ballads and the ballads are the best. I could turn anything into a ballad. Hey, that's a good skill to have. Oh, speaking of completely opposite things, I saw your Thing with Mark Revier. Oh.
Speaker 4: I love Mark.
Speaker 1: He's amazing the best. I did the podcast with it. I saw that so fun. That is so cool. I love him. He went to my high school in Texas. Way, Oh, you're both from Texas, so much younger than me. But yeah, he's a lot younger than me. It was my man h school with me. Oh, I know, he's a big fan, you know him. I've known him for a long time. I've known him maybe two years. Oh okay, Yeah, was that like the first time you guys did anything together.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Jeremy sent me Marks when he was doing stuff from home in Texas. He was doing like reviews of records, and he did a review of our record. Oh that's so cool, it was, and I was like, oh, he's an interesting guy.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: Then we talked a little bit online. And then.
Speaker 12: The street that I grew up on in Manhattan. Sorry, my brain just stopped working. When Biden won, I was standing on the corner of that street on Houston Street, and of course everybody is like.
Speaker 1: The cars are honking and everything, and here comes Mark on his.
Speaker 12: Wheeling around the corner and I'm already jumping up and down, and he jumps off of his bike and we start jumping up and down together.
Speaker 1: And that was the first time we met.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's so crazy.
Speaker 4: I know, it's weird.
Speaker 12: That is weird, but he just has that great energy about him, like he's so spontaneous and his energy is the best. That's the best energy. So it's fun because I was really nervous to do his show, his stream, but he's so not nervous that like instantly and it was just fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was nervous too, and I'm like, how do I prepare? Oh, you don't prepare when the music is all improvised on the spot. Yes, but you're jazz, so you're I'm used to improvising, but but I mean not like that. Yeah. But also he kind of carries it because he's got, you know, the stuff totally and if you don't do anything, he'll just keep going. So it's like fine, exactly, Yes, that's awesome. Yeah, he's pretty rad. Hey, Mark, you know he's listening. Should we do another song? Yeah? So we toured together last summer. Thank you so much fun. I'm so glad you could do it.
Speaker 12: My friend is going to be in Portsmouth today, New Hampshire, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, we had the best time there.
Speaker 4: That was the best, the best.
Speaker 1: Hay, that venue was crazy. It was so fun.
Speaker 12: I hope you tell them to get there early. I know, well he's not playing though he's not playing, but he's just going to be in the town.
Speaker 1: Okay. But I had like happy memories, so I was like, oh, try this and go here. Yeah, that was such a fun gig. And this venue. I can't remember the name of the venue. Do you guys remember the name of the venue? Sarah just said Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion in Guildford, New Hampshire. They have this crazy artist friendly backstage area for those of you who haven't been there. And they have like fire pits, they have ping pong table. They have a swimming pool. That's right. Did you go swimming? Did not go? So after you left, I went swimming with the crew. That was pretty fun. Was it cold? No, it was heated. Oh my, come on, yeah, it was heated. It was gorgeous playground and they had a playground if you have kids. They had bikes and the food was I still have my mug. They had oysters. It's crazy. We don't always get fed like that backstae. No, it was too much. It was actually too much. They had like lobster. It was like too much and you couldn't take it on the bus because it was weird seafood, but it was delicious.
Speaker 12: I've never had that experience before and or since. Yeah, Oh, the bikes they had bikes. Could we could take the bikes to the lake and then jump in the lake.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. It was the best. Everybody, can we do another gig there? Please? Can we just do a weak? No?
Speaker 4: It was a camp.
Speaker 1: That's a good place to start a tour and right, definitely grown up camp. Yeah. It was so fun. And you we met a few years ago. Yeah, we met for men asks at a show, but we barely talked. And then we met again. You came to Chicago and that was so fun too, and it rained all day.
Speaker 12: I remember getting the email that that you had asked about tour and I was hiking. Oh cool, and I was like, oh, I just you know, sometimes you get a happy email.
Speaker 1: Oh good, that's great. I was so happy you wanted to do it, of course, and you did this. Saw my god, your show.
Speaker 12: That band was incredible, so much fun to watch.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun just all being together and the fact that you knew Chris already. It was like, it's cool Chris, good old Chris Morrissey. And you did this song distance every night. Oh yeah, such a jam. Thanks, it's fun. It was fun. Do you want to do it? No?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, the end, the end, it's done. Yeah. So you guys would do this song distance and it was it was a jam every night. You can do it.
Speaker 12: It's a it's a it's an ode to New York City living in tiny apartments.
Speaker 1: I could tell. I figured you could. Yeah, I know what this song is about. I'm pretty sure I've been there. Okay. I when I hear the song, all I can see is you dancing? Oh did I dance on this one? I feel like you did? I mean, did you dance on every jam?
Speaker 13: I do?
Speaker 1: I can't help myself. Wait, so are you Is your brother a dancer? Yes? Okay, he's a tap dancer. It's an amazing it's so fun. Thanks for noticing that I stalked you on Oh cute? Did you grow up dancing too? No?
Speaker 12: I tried tap dancing. Well, my parents put us in classes, but we did like Afro Caribbean, and we did like you know, but I never thought of myself as a dancer. I started playing guitar and singing, and I was really shy to move, to move around and then scary.
Speaker 1: You know, it is because that I'm not really that I'm not as good guitar as I'd like to be, And I think what liberated me.
Speaker 12: I don't There must have been a moment or a tour or something where I was like, Okay, I'm gonna step out and do and dance.
Speaker 1: But I just just enjoy to stepping I really, but then I went too far.
Speaker 12: Now I look back at clips, I'm like, oh god, she's like I feel, and that's not cute. So I'm trying to find an now the sweet spot. I still haven't reached it, but yeah, I'm trying to find the sweet spot. I think you're dancing is infectious. When you perform things, it looks pretty natural as well.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I mean the fact that you say you're like shy about it is surprising to me.
Speaker 12: It's like I'm forcing myself to do to do things that are uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: That is, it's a good thing to do. And also it doesn't seem like that at all, thank you. Yeah, I'm the worst. I'll stand up there and I'll like start going backwards into the darkness of the back of the STA dance. No, come on, I dance like, yeah, like a weirdo. I think my kids have my style of dancing, like like a Lane from Seinfeld and she dances kind of like that where you're so happy to be doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is the weird thing.
Speaker 1: It's crazy stuff like that. That's more fun though than trying to dance cool. I feel like if I was dancing with my friends who don't give a crap, I can be silly and do like I like to inject some humor in my dance. Good, But if it was for real an audience, I don't think I can do it well.
Speaker 12: I really like I want to give them I want them to be allowed to dance. So I was like, as soon as I start moving, they feel more comfortable moving.
Speaker 1: That's fun. Well, it's fun when an audience dances. How did my audience do dancing?
Speaker 12: They were good, they really well. They were very polite.
Speaker 1: But did they dance? That's what I want to know, because I did not see them dancing. They were moving in the back.
Speaker 12: When people stand up, they yeah, I mean it's hard to dance when he's sitting down.
Speaker 1: It is hard. I have a great audience and they are really kind. Usually were very but they.
Speaker 12: Were danced, they were danced, they were so old they were in trance. They were dance instead of danced with your dance and tranced. The other thing is you can trip and fall, you know, so there's like a hazard dancing headset.
Speaker 1: Mic. Yeah, exactly, all right, M.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love time to get up.
Speaker 4: I think you've been slipping till long.
Speaker 1: By.
Speaker 18: They started when you were still to see when it's too folks trying to get along, but it's hard to leave you.
Speaker 6: Ooh oh, love is always better when we did time.
Speaker 4: You'll get back to.
Speaker 1: When we.
Speaker 4: Born.
Speaker 13: Distance makes the hard even when only happened on that's your love.
Speaker 4: Is never f well we are.
Speaker 6: Distance makes the heart, It makes the leaves on the trees, four.
Speaker 4: Makes the hours in the day.
Speaker 6: Makes me want to cumb my head out a little cave rather the worst to s.
Speaker 4: And I know that I'm still free be anywhere that I want to be.
Speaker 13: Maybe get your rest up, bless something really pretty legen never seen.
Speaker 4: Oh, love is always better.
Speaker 6: I would take time and you'll get back to.
Speaker 4: Well we are. Distance makes it's.
Speaker 6: The heart, even when only having known that your.
Speaker 4: Love is never well we.
Speaker 1: Bar.
Speaker 4: Distance makes the heart heart hard heart, hot hat hot hot hot hot.
Speaker 7: When you love, it makes a heart.
Speaker 6: When you trust and makes the heart.
Speaker 1: And when you go, it makes.
Speaker 15: When we're alone, when we were pot in the meet, do love a fight or away to make it right?
Speaker 4: Where we go?
Speaker 16: We never fall in the light or in the dark on a plane a bill starts.
Speaker 9: In only or have a bar a horn along.
Speaker 4: Or raty to hard and think of me.
Speaker 6: I want to love you.
Speaker 14: I don't want to child to change the pace to your life. We get together, we make it good, and we get together.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 18: Time to care about the you've been sleeping too long? Started on you still?
Speaker 10: He Yes, that was fun, Yes, yes, you is that good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. I'm sorry to look at you more. I was trying to like the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was trying to not miss my my lyric. Okay. I was very like, it's this can be a challenging song to sing.
Speaker 10: So I was like, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Weren't looking at me or you. I was wondering why I wasn't looking at you, know, I was singing. I hope I'm not that she doesn't mind that I'm not looking at No. I was like in my notes, don't miss that line. That's felt really good to me. Yeah, that's all good, Okay, good good, Yes, thanks. Oh that's funny. I wanted to dance, but you know I'm sitting.
Speaker 12: I wasn't dancing as much with that whole day dance intro was like being very still.
Speaker 1: You didn't dance at all. I can't believe you didn't dance.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been so fun. Well, thanks for letting me play piano and that. I do love your guitar playing though, And when did you start When did you start playing guitar?
Speaker 12: When I was fifteen or sixteen? Steve Bloom okay, my amazing guitar teacher.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. He'd come over and he taught me like red actually Peppers because that's who I loved at the time. We should have done I love thee oh my god, road tripping. I think that was one of the first. Yeah, it's funny. You never know what people where people come from, you know, with what they grew up loving. It can be surprising, it can be surprising. Yeah.
Speaker 12: I had a huge crush on Anthony Ketus.
Speaker 1: Oh he was cute. Yeah that long yeah, no shirt.
Speaker 4: The no shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the bad acting and point Point. What was it called point point break?
Speaker 4: Was he in point?
Speaker 1: I just had this last moment I can't stop thinking about. I need to go back and watch Point Break? Was your dream? You had a dream? I dreamed that I was I was not home. I was I was gone doing some shows. And I had the funniest dream that I went to some barbecue but it was at my house and Kanu Reeves was there and he was helping everybody set up, but he didn't talk to me at all, and I was like, that's kind of weird. Maybe I should he's helping everybody because he's supposed to be like the super nice person, right, it sounds like something he would do. Yeah, exactly like Ala is reading about how he's the Internet. He's always helping an old lady, and so he was like helping everybody set up, and I was like, man, he's not talking to me and he's not helping me in But I was kind of not doing anything either. So I was like, you know what, I'm going to go see if I can reach this base on the very top shelf. And it was a total manipulative move to see if oh wow me and he did, and he came over and he helped me. Was like, I was wondering when the mom was gonna start getting ready for the barbecue. Then he mom shamed me. No, he didn't say mom. He did because because I was out of town and so I felt bad for being away from my kids. I think is my psychology. It's kind of a funny jobs interesting point break it maybe like I was like, I'm having a real Keanu moment. That's an interesting dream. Also, he's kind of he's promoting a movie, so he's everywhere.
Speaker 12: I think right now he's everywhere else. Is that how the dream ended?
Speaker 1: I woke up crying? Oh no, is that mean shame had a week? I guess, yeah, Like it's one of those you start crying in the dreams and then you wake up cry and right what happened to the all? Where did that come from? Come from?
Speaker 12: And you were laying next to Keanu, which is so well, yeah, that's the punch line.
Speaker 1: No, he was there, he was helping. No, he wasn't there, but ohow, big dreams are funny dreams. If any Encounteries was also my childhood favorite, you.
Speaker 12: Know, oh yeah, yeah, he's a great He's the fact that he rejected a great movie star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw him on the street once you did.
Speaker 12: I saw him, Yeah, and I was walking with my boyfriend at the time, and we both did a double take and then we looked at each other.
Speaker 1: And we're like, that is the most beautiful person. Did you know with him?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, because sometimes you see people and you just think, wow, they're beautiful and you don't even realize Oh, that's true too. Yeah, it was like he's he can't get away with being in.
Speaker 12: The public right with Yeah, it must be hard for people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think he would have been nicer in real life to me, Well, he did help you with the jar? He did?
Speaker 3: Did he?
Speaker 1: Mom shamed me? I don't know. Back to your record to record.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's how I started playing. And I just really wanted to play enough to write songs because I knew I could kind of improvise and so, and I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Sit at a campfire and play what. Yeah, did you go to a lot of campfires growing up in the city. It's like this romantic idea of going to campfires exactly right, that's pretty funny.
Speaker 12: That's why I live in the country now. Because I was like, oh, country.
Speaker 1: Is exotic, that's the coolest thing, and board staring at the squirrels. Yeah, it has its moments. That's funny. Well, you probably go to the city a lot. I do, and I think it.
Speaker 12: Works out that way, and that's good. There's a lot of nice folks up here.
Speaker 1: Let's do one more song from your new album. Yeah. Yeah, you're gonna go on tour. I'm going on tour. When is the tour? It starts May fifth, or maybe possibly the fourth. That is exciting. And you're gonna have your bus.
Speaker 12: And I have a bus and a bus full of dudes and me, it would be.
Speaker 1: A lot of wiping on the seat. They have to tell them they have to sit pee at night if the bus is moving. Oh that's a good idea. Are guys against that? I guess you'll find out. I'm going to find out. I'm sure. I'm sure they'll do whatever they're going to do in there and not listen. I not let you tell them.
Speaker 12: The last time I did a bus, I just always had the clorox and I was always cleaning because I'm clean's super clean. Oh gosh, But so that's what I'm anticipating, but I'm excited.
Speaker 1: But I feel like as you get older, guys are a little more aware of that, aren't they. Yeah, I think so. Are they a bunch of college guys? No, I'm touring with teenagers?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, they'll tour for cheap the young people. How big is the band though?
Speaker 12: The ban is probably six people total.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: And then we have a tour manager and a lighting person and it's very very ye come on, I think a compact tour is really nice, like your tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it was compact. I really love that. I try to keep it small. Yeah.
Speaker 12: And then I just loved there wasn't a lot of like electronics, and you don't play the tracks and you're not doing you know that.
Speaker 1: I'm inspired by that. I wouldn't know how. Yeah, I don't either. I don't either, So Fie, do you do what you want? It's nice when everyone sings. That's what I'm trying to get it is. I think harmonies are so key for both of our mastics, definitely, and it's just so fun to sing with people. It's so much fun to sing with people. Harmony rehearsals are tricky though you gotta really yeah, you do well, that's awesome. Thanks for doing this with me, my pleasure together me too. It's so fun. Let's do this song from your new album and take us out. That sounds good. What's this one called? This one's called false start? Okay? Cool?
Speaker 4: All right? Yeah, m hmmm.
Speaker 6: I get lost in when I do run on Betty, you.
Speaker 13: Tell myself another truth and fall back quess you.
Speaker 4: But leaves don't never know a way the fall and I've been sitting away for the.
Speaker 19: I guess don't when I had to a run on Betsy, play myself.
Speaker 6: Another tube and fall bag was seen.
Speaker 13: God endings never tell you where to start. You're just so many times it for the part, and I've been sitting waterway. It's a false start, almost a Muty new Hart starting making plans.
Speaker 4: Couldn't take the pain, had go back to it came all start, couldn't Letty.
Speaker 17: New Hard.
Speaker 4: Was the last. No, couldn'take the pain, had.
Speaker 10: Back to.
Speaker 4: Key And then he's never tell you where to start.
Speaker 18: We're just so many times and for the pot, and I've been sitting wanting away.
Speaker 4: It's a full stop.
Speaker 20: Almost some archets new had starting making plants, couldn't take.
Speaker 1: Them, Pain had.
Speaker 4: Back came fall Start.
Speaker 16: Couldn't lecle new Hart was the last to know, couldn't take them, Pain had back to acking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ah, that was so fun.
Speaker 4: Comes back, George to come Back.
Speaker 1: I love that song.
Speaker 4: I love her songs.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's such an honesty to her lyrics and the way she performs that. It really makes it so powerful.
Speaker 1: Her singing is very special. Yeah. Yeah, she's a jim We love you, Emily, and.
Speaker 3: She's an incredible performer. So go see her live if you get the chance. It's true she is, you'll be glad you did.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's amazing. Ellie.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being part of our show and sharing all your gorgeous songs with us.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening everyone. Tune in next time for another special guest. Meanwhile, if you want to know what songs were on this episode, the first song is called Georgia from Emily King The seven EP. The second song is called Bad Memory from her new album Special Occasion. Third song we did a little snippet if it never entered My mind, the old jazz standard. The fourth song we did was called Distance, and it's from an album called The Switch and the last song was from her new album Special Occasion, and it's called False Start. Thanks again for listening. This episode was recorded and mixed by Jamie Landry, edited by Sarah Oda, additional engineering by Matthew Vasquez and Steven Sacho. Artwork by Eliza fryehtography by Shervin Leniez. Produced by US.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to like us and subscribe so that you never miss a new episode of Norah Jones is playing along.
Speaker 1: I'm Norah Jones, no paid along, I don't cut all right,