Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I am your host, Liza Trigger and I am your other host, Kara Klank. And you know what we do here. We recap SVU episodes, talk about the true crime they're based on, and interview fun guests, and up top we just chit chat about the world melting around us.
Speaker 2: But today I'm.
Speaker 1: Happy because it's Rosie's birthday. Oh my god, yeahild how old is she now? Six today? That's like a grown US woman.
Speaker 2: I know, she's a full woman with like in control of herself. It's crazy, she I was, that's the firstcrap like this. Yeah, she's about to just like be doing long division.
Speaker 1: I know she's like reading shit like I can't spell shit in front of her anymore.
Speaker 2: It's annoying.
Speaker 1: But yeah, she's really pumped. We're going to Lego Land this weekend. As I've mentioned, thank you for those of you that have sent me tips. I think I'm just honestly gonna go in kind of blind, but she got to open one present this morning. We got her a sleepy squash mallow if you know, you know, they're like bigger squash mallows that are like asleep because you're supposed to kind of like cuddle them while they're sleeping.
Speaker 2: What animal.
Speaker 1: It's the red Panda from Turning Red, which isn't even a movie that she likes that much, but she loves red pandas. And it was a gamble and Jared told me to go. He's like, she'll love the red Panda, and he was right. She was like, this is my best bird. They present like. She loved it so much. She demanded balloons first thing in the morning. But like, by the way, the regular rubber balloons that were like used to those like only stay afloat for nine hours. I thought that they had a longer shelf life, So I had to shell out for the metallicky ones because they last a week and she wanted them in the morning. And a couple years ago I tried to do that for her and they were all on the ground and it was embarrassing. So she got some cute balloons. She got a little stuffy. She's having a little pizza to night.
Speaker 2: From where her favorite restaurant, Dominoes or what I mean.
Speaker 1: Honestly, she's become like such a she does now she thinks the sauce at Dominoes is too spicy, but she's obsessed with getting it because she likes the garlic knots. She likes the little like bread knots or whatever. She'll eat seven of those, like in a sitting. It's really yeah, six years old and no sign of the picky eating a bathing anytime soon.
Speaker 2: But so what else? What's is she doing? Like a school party? Do people do that? Or you can't bring anything sweet or not so or nothing, and everyone's just licking ice together like the school party?
Speaker 1: Like so true. Literally I am bringing her cupcakes later to school. You're allowed to do it the last twenty minutes of the day, so you come in at like two ten until two twenty eight, Like it's like literally eighteen minutes of birthday fun. And then it's supposed to kind of be prepackaged, but the teachers like turn the other cheeks so that you can, you know, bringing cupcakes. I didn't make them, I bought them, but still they're supposed to be like packaged individually, you know, like I bought them because of like nuts and shit like that.
Speaker 2: But they don't care. They don't care at this at her school.
Speaker 1: So so we're gonna do that, and then I have to go get one. I do have to go get a vegan donut for a child that is dairy free. But I'm gonna go get it at Chapel Rohmee's former place of business, Donut Friend, where she used to work. But she really yeah, she used to work at Donut Friend.
Speaker 2: Well, oh my god. They also got a bunch of weren't they like union anti union.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're also a donut shop that opens at eleven am. Wake up for selling donuts. It's Saturday morning. My kid wants a donut. You're missing my business. But anyway, the donuts are delicious, and I think they're all, if not all, most of them are vegans. So it's good for these like dairy free kids. And yeah, that's so that's the birthday. So no party like the Lego but no party the Lego land is like the party. I mean tonight, we're having like a couple of little pals over of like her local like school friends over like two to have pizza and cake and that's it. But Minecraft. The cupcakes are Minecraft, the cake is Minecraft. Where Wow, a girl and Stem. I can't believe it. Yeah, yeah, completely completely.
Speaker 2: Women in Stem. She's so into Minecraft and knows so little about it. It's wild.
Speaker 1: We don't have like we don't play it, you know, like we don't have a switch or anything. But or I don't even know if that's where you play it. But no, I think it's a computer game. I think, yeah, they start playing on computers. Yeah, oh, I just don't think friend has a switch. But yeah, they were playing it in Bama school. They were playing it in school because it was on their school iPads. And I was concerned because I was like, wait, it's not like a game, like why is there a game? But I'm like, these are la like usd iPads. They're obviously anything that goes on them has to be approved. So there is an educational version of Minecraft that was on there. But so many parents wrote into the teacher to be like what's going on that, she just said, forgot it. We're taking the Minecraft off the iPads.
Speaker 2: So they ruined it. So I do have Okay, So when I mentioned the ice that reminded me. So I got inside scooped from about a billionaire family. I'm not going to name the family, but it's someone who works within the billionaire family told a friend and they're basically this person did not need to sign an NDA and then accidentally one time sent a text message talking shit about how crazy the family is to the matriarch of the family.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god. I'm And the matriarch said, that's fine.
Speaker 2: We're rich enough that no one would ever hear this or talk about it, and you could say whatever the fuck you want about us. We have so much money. Wouldn't even matter. It doesn't even matter. And she didn't care. She didn't care, she didn't fire running still working with this billionaire family. But the reason the ice reminded me of this story is because they only get their ice from Norway or like the Netherlands or something like that, and it's in circle like spheres, and it's shipped, and during pandemic, they were like contacting like the authorities to make sure the flights of their private ice was continued to be brought to the States. Oh my god. Yeah, they need a circle ice, which is a joke in this episode Rosebud of The Simpsons about like these guys in Antarctica they bring the ice to the Quickie Mart and they're like, we lost three men on this trip and a Pugo's well, if you can tell me a better way to make ice, I'd like to hear it. But yeah, even in pandemic they demanded the ice be flown in cross country for them.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, it must get to a point where you're so rich that you're honestly just challenging yourself to come up with.
Speaker 2: Ways to the kids don't flush their own toilets. Staff does it for them? What? And this person is inn like one of these children is in government, in a high position in government. Yeah my god, yeah, oh my fucking I mean, we know eat the rich for sure, but like, I just don't understand how we continuously have rich people being in charge of stuff when they're so disconnected from humanity or how things work. Like it's weird. I heard they're coming after meals on wheels. I'm like, what is wrong with you guys?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I'm sorry if you if you go to like if you're a billion like you could go to like the oscars, or you could go to whatever, So you have to flush the toilet at other places outside of your home.
Speaker 2: I hope they like know how to do it. I bet their's security does it when they're out and about who knows.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, who knows. So it must be a prison. Honestly, it must be a prison.
Speaker 2: We're watching White Love. We're thrilled. You know, I've never heard of carry Coon to save my fucking life, and this bitch I'm looking at photos of her in the nineties on red carpets. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, this bitch has been working for decades and I have She would always show up in my little movie games, and I would always be a little bit annoyed. Yeah, I don't know who that. I don't know who that'ss.
Speaker 1: The first time I discovered her was as Ben Affleck's sister in Gone Girl, and I was like, oh my god, And I was like, who is it. She's like very chameleony like, her look is very chameleon like. She can really I think she changes how she And I was like, how did this random actress Carrie Kon get this part in this big movie? You know, because I've never heard of her before, but obviously she's been doing shit forever, and then the Leftovers brought her into a lot of people's consciousness, and then yeah, she's just been in and then Gilded Age now people love I mean I don't. Yeah, I was about to say we should get into Gilded Age.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh my god. Wait, I have to show you something. I have to grab it from my suitcase. I do not care. Someone in Minneapolis brought me a present that I have to show you. But also this is the person and that made the ceramic Martha Plimpton, Pinky Weed banker. Yes, O got it. Okay, give me one second, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, I'm trying to imagine what this is.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you ready? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, okay, wait, I mean I have to like take a screenshot of you holding it up so that we can put this on the Instagram. Okay, just for those of you that maybe don't follow us on Instagram because you hate us.
Speaker 2: It's literally is it a T shirt?
Speaker 1: Is it as a T shirt that has read me my Miranda writes, And it's got a picture of fucking Cynthia Nixon.
Speaker 2: As why am I thinking, Dottie whatever? It's story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the bottom oh my Janice Dory, Petra Bert, doctor Young and Tammy. Yes, the woman with the multiple personalities from the episode that Cynthia Nixon is it. And in parentheses it says Miranda, Miranda, I'm getting it framed. I'm putting it in a fucking but yeah, I'm not. Yeah, you got to put that in a light box or something or what our shot at whatever they're called.
Speaker 2: Well, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: You guys, honestly always come through with the wildest gifts.
Speaker 2: Well game. When Minneapolis has some of the best weed of head in the country, it's actually too strong. It's like too strong. It's like too Indica maybe leaning. I don't know it like would It's been knocking me the fuck out. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's so funny because I feel like we had listeners at the last time we did when we did our show in Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Kara, Yeah, they gave us the weed we got too fucked up. And I'm on stage and I mentioned that they were in the front row of my stand up show. Oh my god, they go, we gave you the weed. I'm like in the glitter container. They go, yeah, And they.
Speaker 1: Were the ones that said, by the way, that weed in Minneapolis is really strong, and we were both like, okay, I'm sure, yeah, and then we walked.
Speaker 2: To a restaurant we had reservations at. They said do you have a reservation, and at the same time we went, no, do you don't remember that? Yeah? And then I got an email from Open Table being like, why didn't you guys make it? And I had to send a photo of the fucking carrots and I was like, we were there.
Speaker 1: Wait, yes, but this is oh my god, yes, yes, oh my god. Yeah, we were so high. We didn't we didn't. We went to a reservation. We made a reservation at a place, went to it and both said no, we don't have a reservation. And then Open Table contacted me and was like, why didn't you show up for your reservation. I'm like, it was me, how dare you? I made a plate of carrots. I was there, the bugs, bunny carrots. Wait, but you just said something that sparred opens.
Speaker 2: Oh. So I started watching this YouTube show. I mean, it has like four million subscribers. It's not new, but it's mystical kitchen or mythical but it's last Meals and it's just celebrities doing press and you know, talking about the last meal they would eat. But Trixy Mittel was just on and she picked Jimmy John's veggie sandwich for one of her options, a girl after my own, So that was exciting, Yeah, because that's all I ate in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, I'm sure you guys have a lot to offer, but I just had a sandwich each day from the JJ. Well.
Speaker 1: I was actually just listening to Trixy's podcast and they were talking about how she's really sad her bar that she owned is closing, and how all these gay bars are closing, and like, you know, it's just very sad. And I was thinking that I'm going to be in Sarasota, Florida for the the finale of Drag Race, and I need any listeners who live in the Sarasota Bradenton area to let me know where I can watch drag Race because I googled it and I got a place called Purple Rhino that has no website and no social media presence, and I'm a little bit too scared, I think to just go there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because that's a dark windows spot that are like sucking dick in the back. Yeah, oh god, yeah, purple rhino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, that sounds like like the that sounds like the cock you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not for you. Yeah, that's not a watch party's.
Speaker 1: I mean, Sarrisota is a really old It's like a really old place, like it's everybody's very old. So I would imagine that it's just not got a lot of stuff. But I like, I would really I really love watching the finale in a bar with other people. So if anyone has the scoop, let me know.
Speaker 2: I mean, were we crying at the family episode or where are we at? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just like they're all they all have such supportive parents. It's so cool now Like there used to just be days where like it was your sister coming in or like someone you know, and now it's like like they're all so young that like their parents are mostly all cool and if they haven't always been cool, like they've become cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like but I was glad that, uh you know, I'm glad. Who who's going on? Who's moving on? I guess, but I guess someone's going to go home next week. Yeah, but it's like a fun season, Like I'm into it. The pit stop's been fun, like everything's fine. Oh speaking, you know, I saw Peppermint recently, No big deal. Rgeous pep survive the Thickest and just got married. That's on the show. That's on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Why is it all over people? I think it's a promotional tool. But wouldn't it be weird that Bob wasn't in Peppermint's wedding. That's true, that would be weird, Yeah ashell was.
Speaker 1: But what I thought was weird was that it's on all of these It's probably I think people are being fooled because.
Speaker 2: It's on all of these. But the ACTA pages.
Speaker 1: That I follow, yeah, no, that's all These gay pages that I follow are like Peppermint Sealed, the tied the knot and Peppermin's playing Peppermint.
Speaker 2: So it's tough. It's tough. Okay, got it? Got it? I read character name Peppermint.
Speaker 1: I well, did I tell you about the huge dupe that I got really quickly before you tell your Peppermint story?
Speaker 2: You know how Yasser Lester like it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Well? Yeah, he writes like fake posts. Someone in one of my Bravo groups that I'm on on Facebook took the one he posted about j Trump giving Jenshaw early parole, and she posted it in the mom group and I didn't even see that it had anything from yos and not the mom group, the Bravo group, and I didn't see that it had anything from Yoser on it.
Speaker 2: So I like put it in a group.
Speaker 1: Chat and they were like, are you referencing Yaser's fake post? And I was like, oh my god, I'm so embarrassed. Now.
Speaker 2: April Fools got me on social media multiple times. I was this wasn't even as oh, because I was scrolling through things and being like I can't believe it. And at the end I was like, you fucking idiot, and I was like, I am an idiot. I don't get sarcasm, and I don't get April Fools. I will believe you because I don't know why you would lie to me. This happened in audiences when you're trying to do crowd work and then they'll say something and you go off of it and they're like I'm kidding. I'm like, oh, a lie is actually not a joke. Yeah, there's a little more skill involved, and that's why people, especially dating apps and stuff where they're like sarcasm, I'm I'm I'm good at sarcasm. I'm like, it's truly just lying. There's no skill involved in any capacity. And it's pretty embarrassing to be honest. I would say to for your humor profile to be sarcasm means you're just an idiot. Oh for it to just be sarcasm for sure, to write that on a dating app, I'm so sarcastic. I speak my only second language is sarcasm. But no audiences will be like, oh, I'm married. I'll be like, oh blah b and they're like, I'm kidding. It's the fun, that's not what's the game that? How would I know? I don't know you.
Speaker 1: There's hundreds of people sitting here like what what goal did you have?
Speaker 2: I just I really hate sarcasm. And I there's one guy at the seller, one comic who's always saying shit and I go off of it. He's like, it's I'm being sarcastic. I go, yeah, why would you be at the stame? I don't understand, and I think it's the Soviet in me, but it's truly like it bothers. Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: Because my friend was like having her son evaluated and they were like, does he get sarcasm? And he's only four, so she was like not really, and then she goes, I was thinking about you because Rosie will say shit, like really, mom, another glass of wine. Like She'll like she's literally so sarcastic that I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's funny. That's not a lie. I guess it's a developmental Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's sarcasm, even because you are getting more wine.
Speaker 2: It's not a lie, it's a comment. I just don't like when people think lying is humor. Yes, I agreed. Did you like that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you did not.
Speaker 1: I don't understand why you're doing this, like it just it really it drives me insane. Wait, so tell me about the Peppermint party. You were talking you were gonna saint. I saw one celebrity that I should.
Speaker 2: I just get so starstruck sometimes, like I actually because Quentin Tarantino speaking shows up in my YouTube shorts all the time, Like I just really like him, and so I'm always watching him talk about movies and stuff. And he I was sitting next him at the comedy store. I went up I killed it, and instead of going back and say with him, I left. And then I heard all night that he was talking with everyone drinking, and it kills me, like it kills me. I think about it all the time, Like how did I not then make Mikey Madison Mickey Madison or whatever was doing an interview, how like how hard she worked on that audition for once upon a time because it was like her one shot with Quinton And I'm like, I had my one shot and I did not take it, and it haunts me, and so I've been trying, Like when I saw Leslie Bibb and I was like, I have to take this moment, you know, and I fucking did it again. And Sandra Bernhardt was at Michelle's premiere, made eye contact, I smiled, and I just kept on talking to me.
Speaker 1: But she's like she's in tim. I would be intimidated to say something to her too, like she's a legend, and like what if she just told you to fuck off?
Speaker 2: Like I mean, I don't know, I think she like ma, I think I got to if I just went up to her and go, you know, I saw you at City Winery in twenty twelve, or like Chicago. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm obsessed with you and every way like Roseanne, I love you and watch What Happens Live like King of Comedy, like this bitch is an icon and hopefully I'll be able to meet her again. But it is just like, God, you fucking fool. Why didn't I go up to her? I get that, but it's so funny, so Yancey who does hair? Like all these people kept coming up to me at the premiere talking about watch What Happens Live because that's what I was talking about on the set of Survival of the Thickest in July. I was like, yeah, I tap'm the special. All I need to do is get on watch what Happens Live. And so everyone kept coming.
Speaker 1: Up to me and be liked it, and I was like, that was crazy. How like on brand I am at all times? You manifested it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, I forgot the Carrie Coon of it all the reason I wanted to bring it up. Look, you see what you were caught up when when the girls are like telling each other their flaws and they're like telling carry Kon's character like you have a shitty life because of you, Like stop blaming people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this reaction shot. I'm like, this is an actor, like.
Speaker 1: I am obsessed with I'm just like obsessed with her right now I can't And then like, how about that Terri Fine shot where she's jumping out the window. Everybody's like meming that shot of her, Like when she jumps out like the window and she's just hanging there for.
Speaker 2: A second, and she's like, Oh, that's not terrified because of our crimebacker. I was just like, oh my god, she's alone in the dark streets. My god, don't get in the cab, you know. I was like, yeah, fucking I.
Speaker 1: Was like, get out of there, get out of there, get out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but for next week. Oh so I did a show last night at Barney Grengrass, which is like a deli on the Upper West Side. Yeah, and they had lot He's delicious. But then someone was a purist. They're like, they're deep fried, you can't compare him. I'm like, no one's comparing them. I got You're you're having a fight in your own head that no one's a part of. Like I like my pan fried by my mom, and I like these deep fried ones at this place that are free with a bowl of sad. No, Barney green Grass is like a famous institution. Oh yeah, I believe that's where Tina Fey is having lunch with John Hamm in thirty Rock when he is the guy that's so hot that he doesn't know that people ever say no to you about stuff, and he goes, can I get a catfish poh boy and a grape soda or something like that, and they're like sure, because.
Speaker 1: He's so hot. Anyway, that's what I always think of it. But I've been to I've eaten at Barney green Grass.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's great. Yeah it was, and it was a new fucking show. Thrilled to be there. But the boy runs this show. Boy, he's twenty four, but it's a boy. Or we're like grown women. It's so funny. But everyone thinks I'm a lot younger than I am, because I remember when I told him how old I was, he was shocked. But I'm like, yea, I'm not an intern. I have a real life. Can you not tell him a grown woman? Okay? But anyways, his great friend, his really close friends godfather is the Gilgo Beach murderer. His good friend's godfather, Oh my god. Yeah, like they saw the news and I guess he called his zad and was like, did you are you seeing this?
Speaker 1: I think we had a listener who was like, I used to work with him, Yeah we did, we did, Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's a new Netflix series on him, and you know, I'm interested to watch it because they've they've caught him.
Speaker 2: So we covered it when he was on the LAMB. It's called it's called Gone Girls. It's called Gone Girls at.
Speaker 1: Gone Girls, okay, and if you're Gone Girls, the Long Island serial Killer and I believe Daydream Believer is the episode that we covered that case in, which is when we talked to Dallas Roberts.
Speaker 2: And now with like more and more, I keep thinking about that criminologist of like to decrease serial killing and murders, we need to be better to sex workers, we can't have homophobia, and we need to protect the elderly. And it's just like now, every time someone comes up, I think about well I always think about it, but he just made it so concise.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, well we should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to get started. I mean, yeah, we barely talked about Luigi. But because it's sad. I mean I did donate to the legal fund. The I think a lot of people donated yesterday. I think they made like fifty grand or something yesterday, but I did donate to his legal fund. Yeah, the death penalties on the table. What's so crazy is that this Attorney general that that's her Instagram debut, like her first post ever is about this Luigi thing, and then I just saw it here. So they are there are going for the death penalty. It's fucked up. As Laura made a great statement, it's just sad, you know, it's just like sad. But it's just like, yes, I'm worried about that, but I just can't stop thinking about these people that were sent to El Salvador and there's no way to get them back. And the accidents not accidents, family people. Gangs are not getting like who cares? So you were in a gang at seventeen? What the fuck?
Speaker 1: I just read a story of a guy who escaped gangs because the gangs wanted him in El Salvador.
Speaker 2: He escaped to the US.
Speaker 1: He was he was put on a thing by a judge that said if he's ever deported for up with cause, it cannot be to El Salvador. He's in all Salvador like and that they they're you know, yeah, they don't care about people, don't the law is over like I mean, but I will also say with just to sprinkle a little bit of hope in that fucking judge in Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: But this is what I'm talking about. One.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't want to know about the judges in Wisconsin. I want to be a dumb bitch like this is what happens every time, just getting just like it's just amble though simple.
Speaker 2: I'm pissed. I don't want to know about these people.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but it is like symbolic that like people are not choosing, like the money, you know, like the money could not buy the election, which is really good.
Speaker 2: And also Cory Booker on the floor of the Senate.
Speaker 1: Yesterday for twenty five hours, pretty fucking impressive, broke a record, wore a diaper, I guess, I mean, how the fuck do you not pee for twenty five hours?
Speaker 2: I want to meditate and like prep like.
Speaker 1: Prep for it and just don't drink any fluid. So you're just like trying to a little bit because you're talking, how are you talking, Yeah, like how is your mouth making saliva?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know how he fucking did that.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's like people were saying, like, you know, the Democrats are not like united and it's very fractured and hopeless, and you know, I feel like that was a couple of nice things happened in two days. Now.
Speaker 2: I'm very happy about the super Court. And it was like a big percentage gap as well. No, I have a I know a gay man in his like who's about to be sixty or is he sixty five? Yeah? Whatever? I know a gay man in his sixties. Parents didn't speak to him for something like decades, didn't speak to him because he was gay, Like has lived here since the eighties, like truly trauma, trauma, but he's been there with his family. They're all so trumpy, they're praying for him all the time, like insane. And in his birthday card this year, his dad wrote, you were right. And so he's like in terms of that type of person who for decades has been a maniac in that and or a conservative whatever saying that he goes that's huge And it's mostly about the veterans. Yeah, it's about the veterans stuff and the VA and all the jobs and all of that, and so it's like if someone like that can turn but it's like it is a cult.
Speaker 1: It is slow. I don't know, but that is our hope. Is these people get so fucked over. I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in that have like the guns and nothing to lose.
Speaker 1: I'll definitely broach a conversation with my parents when he tries to run for a third term and be like, was this is this part? Is this?
Speaker 2: What you?
Speaker 1: This is it?
Speaker 2: Have you been sending them articles? What's their vibe? They're still happy. I don't get these people out. No, we don't speak about it at all, but I'll be.
Speaker 1: Interested to see because I have to stay at their house a little bit over the summer for like a little a little bit, and I really can't stand Fox News, but it is their house.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I don't know how it's gonna work. I'm anticipating some friction.
Speaker 1: But I mean I'm you know, what I keep getting in my for you page is this guy who started a podcast and he just talks to his trumpy parents about like different shit. Casey's nodding you've seen this. It's called like the Hard Conversation or something like that, but it is it's like cult like like they true, it's like talking to cult people. I mean, it's like we just covered an episode about like young sex workers where they're just like where she's just like no.
Speaker 2: No, I love him, I love him, I love my love.
Speaker 1: It's like the same vibe, you know, Like he's this guy's like rationally telling his parents about like you know, where did you read that? And his mom will just be like the internet, you know, like she doesn't know where she's getting any sources. She doesn't know where she's finding anything.
Speaker 2: Like well, there's one woman I saw video she like works at NASA right, Like she's like a smart, rocket fucking scientist, and her parents never listen to her about climate nothing. And the one thing that made her dad finally realize it was because the insurance companies, yeah, are like switching their coverage and so if it fucks with the money, that means it's legit. Not your daughter who you raised, who's a rocket scientist. Yeah wait, did you tell me this already or someone else?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, But I feel like we've had this conversation before but it's possible we have but anyway, Yes, I was like, that's so crazy, Like he didn't believe it until he followed the money, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean these people. Yeah, I guess. But I don't want my parents' social security to get like I want him to suffer. But my perhaps like, we can't, I can't have it happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but let's just bask in the glory of this one judge in Wisconsin winning And let's get started with today's episode. But that's messed up live dot com. You can scroll down to Lisa's link and see her tour dates.
Speaker 2: She's on the road.
Speaker 1: You can buy our merch you can get our promo codes. Yeah, happy birthday, Rosie. Let's get started, all right. We are doing Exile season twenty, episode six.
Speaker 2: Taylor coded Wait why why? Why? She has a song called exile oh with Bonnie Bear. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't even know about that one. But twenty eighteen season twenty, Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I remembered this one, but it was like watching it anew. I have never seen this once in my fucking life. Oh, it was a brand new one for you.
Speaker 2: I did not if I did because I've watched them at least all once, like it skipped my mind or I was folding something because I don't have a fucking memory of this.
Speaker 1: It exiled from your mind, yes, which they used later in the episode.
Speaker 2: Wow Wow, I kind of love when that happens. It feels like, you know, I didn't know how anything was gonna play out, and I was interested in learning more of the real thing, and so you all know, I had to read the New Yorker, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I knew vaguely what was up, but I forgot the full ending, so I was happy. Okay, So, a very common opening on the show. A girl is walking on a dark New York City street at night, and we can't tell if something bad has just happened to her or is about to tale as old as to it's raining, She's got a leather jacket over her head. She decides to go into a bar that's playing rock music. Cut to a more upscale establishment where Caresi and Stone are finishing up beers. And that sounds like a boring hang to me. I'm not gonna lie those two just chatting. That sounds boring. I don't want to I don't want to be like, down the bar from them, Caresey's got a bounce, and the hilarious Stone goes, I hope you've got your arc parked outside. It doesn't even look like it's raining that hard, honestly from the opening footage, and Cresey's like, oh, if I don't leave now, I'm gonna get any airfull. And you know, Stone's like, what's her name? And her name is Gina because he's talking about his sister, And I guess Careese just bought a truck, and now his sister thinks he's you haul. Where's he parking a truck in Queens anyway? I guess there's more spots in Queen's anyway. Caresee goes, I love my sister, but I do sometimes wish she would just go away, which is a very, very fucking harsh thing to say about a sibling. And then he opens his mouth and jams his foot all the way into it. Because dus stone sister suffers from schizophrenia and is institutionalized, he would love to be lugging her shit around New York City and he can't. So he immediately realizes he's stupid, and he's like, oh, I'm sorry, man, He's like, can't sell your Scotch, Let's go get a burger, and Stone is like hard pass bro, get the hell out of here. So Coreesy pays for drinks and then he leaves, and then a girl at the bar starts I fucking Stone, and you know, he kind of like looks down and we don't know what's going to happen. Back to our gal from earlier, she's in the bathroom at this slut. He's what I think Stone is a slut. Yeah, yeah, he's and he gets out yeah yeah yeah, and he's doing it very robotically with no emotion I think as well.
Speaker 2: So anyway, yeah, our gal's in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: She's it's one of the bathrooms like at More. You don't really see this at regular bars. Is usually at like when I go to drag shows, they always have an attendant at like bigger clubs and stuff, and you know where they've got mints and hairspray and and this girl's like drying her hair in the hair dryer. She's applying a little scent. She puts on a lipstick. She looks in the mirror and she goes, it's as good as it's gonna get and I'm like, okay, you seem fun. And then back in the bar, these two dudes are playing darts and they are talking about pagasms, and I don't even know what the fuck they're talking about, so I'm obviously googling it. But you know, this show tries to talk about what's being talked about in the moment, and so this came out end of twenty eighteen. I am reading that twenty eighteen. Twenty nineteen, there started to be a bunch of stuff about peagasms making the round, and it's where women hold their pea on purpose to like let it go and they have an orgasm because it feels so good. And like this other doctor, this doctor I read a quote from, was like, yeah, obviously, like women's anatomy, if your bladder is full, it could put pressure on other parts of your body, which can include the glitterists.
Speaker 2: But other women were saying.
Speaker 1: No, we don't actually do We don't hold our pee because we want to have an orgasm. We like, we have to hold our p for a variety of reasons, and then this happens and we're worried something's wrong with us. So it's like doctors are telling them no, like this is normal. But also they're very much recommending do not do this on purpose. Do not hold your pee in to have an orgasm. You will get some kind of fucking uti. I'm sure that is a kink.
Speaker 2: Is there are people who want to watch people have to go pee but can't find the bathroom. It's like, that's like a kink. Yeah, it's like watching someone really have to pee but not be able to. Oh, God, like stressful searching for it. Oh that's my opposite. I'm the opposite of that kink. I'm like find it, like, come here, pee in this cup.
Speaker 1: Like anyway, Guy one is telling Guy to all about pagasms, and Guy To like can't believe it. So Guy one pulls bathroom girl over and is like, hey, sweetheart, tell him I'm right. He doesn't even tell him what they're talking about. He just goes say I'm right, And so she uses the opportunity to get a shot of tequila no salt out of him, which he obliges. So then she goes yes, and then number two walks away and we can see that girly and guy number one are kind of vibing all right. Cut to Stone speaking of vibing making out in a stopped cab in the back, like just a scandalo, and he's like, you know, they're obviously in front of her place, and he goes, I can't and she goes, I know you're old, but you'd only have to climb two flights, which is such a fucking read for a guy that you're actively trying to fuck, Like it's really a read. And then he goes, I'm just using you, and he's like to forget and she's like, cool, I'm using you for sex, Like let's go. Like you know, it's like they're from such different generations, these two people. Like he's like, I'm not I can't marry you. She's like, I just want to fuck. Get up to my house. And then we don't know if he's going to get out of the cab because she gets out and she's like are you coming, and we just see him like paused, and we don't know. Hard cut to the girl from the bar on a stretcher with a head wound. She's in an alley by several dumpsters and it's an morning. This night at the bar did not go great for her. Carese is running point. He's telling the unis to Canvas and then Benson shows up. As we talked about last week and her workout gear. She's like, I was with my trainer when the call came in. I'm like, do you still pay for the session? Do you just finish up the last few reps? Or you run right there?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Trainers are expensive. Live like she just always has her phone on. She's always so available. She cares about the job so much. Anyway, Carise goes, I was with a bay of claw, That's what I mean. Like, this man is gonna have a heart attack before he's fifty years old, like the way like Rudnick told him, you cannot keep eating like this.
Speaker 2: You know, every time we see him, he's like, can I got an egg and cheese on a bit?
Speaker 1: You know, Like he's just he's he's really like out there, but he is a thin person. I just would love to see what his cholesterol says. Caresie says, Oh Vick is still breathing, but low. Pul s dilated pupil the cleaning crew from the bar founder They found her leather jacket and a bloody some kind of like bloody pipe or something near the body. But no purse, no idea, and it turns out no panties. And then Benson our label Queen goes, buddy left her Prada, and we know Benson knows labels, but like I'm like through the evidence bag, She's like, that's designer. Like I can tell, like she could just see that it's Prada, and so credits. Okay, now we're gonna walk and talk with the er doc. It's the usual vaginal trauma. The kit tested positive for semen. Blood alcohol was point one five plus she had THHC in her system, so the doctor doubts she could consent. CARIESI and Benson go in to talk to her and she has a gnarly gash on her head that looks like stitched up or butterfly stitched up.
Speaker 2: I really can't tell, and she says she has. She says, yeah, really is the word? Is the word for it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It looks bad, yuck, And then she goes, I feel like a herd of elephants did a two step on my head. And it's just such a weird turn of phrase. I don't I've never heard that. It just seems like a weird thing to just throw out when you've just been attacked and your head is pounding and you're like, oh, elephants did the two step? Anyway, She admits she drank a lot. Her name is Grace. She tells live how she went to the bar to wait out the rain and some guys bought her a few drinks and that's all she remembers. She thinks one of them was Doug or Dave, and she's like, this is so unlike me, and they tell her, well, you also, we think you may have been sexually assaulted, and she's obviously very upset. Like I thought the actress in this moment like Cat did a really great jot. Her face was like so like just changed when she hears that part, and then liv tells her you're gonna get through this.
Speaker 2: Can we call anyone for you? And she goes, oh my god, you guessed it.
Speaker 1: Tommy another we have got, Like Okay, when a listener first reached out to us at the beginning of this podcast and was like, there are so many characters or reference people referenced on SPU named Tommy, I was like, sure, okay, maybe, and now it's like undeniable, Like they use the name so much it feels like a joke.
Speaker 2: We have to like get to the bottom of it. I need to talk to Warren Light or somebody and be like, what is what the Tommy?
Speaker 1: It is so many people, and please resend me that list if you're the listener that keeps the list, and hopefully you have this one on your list, because this girl's got a boyfriend named Tommy and that's her boyfriend. But she doesn't want to call she doesn't want them to call him. She's like, let me tell him, and so Cariese's gonna drive her home now. Finn is at the Black Bunny Bar showing her picture to a bartender and he remembers for the bartender and he goes, yeah, she Waltz is in here and her designer duds with no intention of paying for a drink. And it's just like, first of all, no one says designer duds. Who's like under seventy five. I think that's such a weird like duds, Like I'm never like I love your duds, Like no one says that. But also, why does this make men so mad when women get free drinks? Like you're the bartender, like let people buy drinks for women, Like that's good for your business and your tips. It's like, do you go to Vegas and get pissed when like a guy next to you is just like winning, I don't think.
Speaker 2: But they also don't do Like we talk about this a lot.
Speaker 1: It's not like they're like, Wow, these girls look thirsty like they want something in return.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, and then.
Speaker 1: You're let your parch babe, we gotta get you of a ca soda. Like they don't actually care. So it's like, yeah, sometimes the deal doesn't work out in your favor, and that's what they're mad about fucking control for They're like, well.
Speaker 2: I bought you this, so do this, Like yeah, they just don't. I can't. I can't. Just get back to the get back to the rape, get back to the case.
Speaker 1: He admits that he flirted like that, she flirted with him for a shot and he gave it to her, so it's like, oh, you're just like mad that she wasn't like interested in you for real, but you're a bartender anyway. He knew that who she was talking to, and he goes, yeah, she was talking to Drew, He's my dealer, And Finn's like, are you dumb? Like you remember I said I was a cop, right, And then the bartender goes, relax, bro, it's all legal. It's edible marijuana, and it's just so funny. It's like twenty eighteen. He shows Finn what look like weed lollipops, as if a Finn hasn't heard of edible weed, and also we had gummies in twenty eighteen. Like, I'm just confused, Like where the lollipop is? Have you ever had a weed lollipop?
Speaker 2: Are they good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They're not. It's not real. This was before weed was legal in New York. I feel and they would have these trucks and they're not real, and I would be get I would like, I think I got swindled when I was young, and then I would never do it again. Okay, yeah, I just don't feel like they're real. But I do remember this lollipop, the vans of it all, like I do remember that. Oh okay, so this was a thing, all right, got it? Yeah? When she gets to the van, I was like, oh, yeah, I know these people. I don't know how they get away with it. I feel like I was tricked into not effective lollipops for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I can't. I left New York right because I bet does not respect this guy. Yeah, yeah, I left. I left New York like a few years before legalization. I remember coming back and being like, what is with all these weed shops that like don't actually sell weed? This is so weird. But I don't remember the trucks. I just remember like actual shops, Like I don't get it. But now there's now I guess they were just setting the stage because now it's legal. Anyway, he shows these dumb fucking lollipops, and yeah, Finn's not impressed, and he's like, where's I needed to know where Drew Parks's truck. So Drew is guy number two from the bar, the guy who walked away after the piagasm bet or whatever. And he's got rice, Crispy treats, brownies, lollipops, everything's organic.
Speaker 2: I grow it in my backyard.
Speaker 1: I'm like in New York City, where it's like freezing half the year, you grow weed in your backyard. Anyway, he sells it out of a food truck called weed World, which Liza.
Speaker 2: Is telling me is a scam, and I'm even more mad at him than it was before.
Speaker 1: Finn's like, yeah, give me whatever you gave Grace Walker before you raped her. And he's like extremely calm for a man who's just been accused of rape. He's like, I don't know if it's the weed, but he's very chill. He's like, no, when I left, she was just she was still standing and drinking with my buddy Silas, who I'm just gonna sell out right now, Like I mean just like, yeah, I left them and Silas was with her.
Speaker 2: He's like, I have an Uber receipt.
Speaker 1: And it is weird how sometimes they call it Uber and sometimes they call it quick Ride or whatever, like yeah, sometimes they get the like the ability to use Uber. I don't know, maybe they were still in contract to mention it.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe it can't be in the crime because you're thinking, when Maddie got taken, this is just like, oh, we we have a fun ride, you know how Like villains can't use mac Oh is that true? Yeah, villains can't use iPhones and it always has to be one hundred percent charged, like if you want to use an iPhone and maybe for Uber, like Maddie went missing in a like a driver can't be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can't be used in the crime, but like ged it was like yeah, in quick Ride, it was like there were guys like trafficking using quick D Yeah, obviously Uber is not going to allow that you're right that I think this.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, here, I just went home. I have evidence. I have my receipt and like I was, I think that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uber's like we're the number one app for proving that you didn't rape somebody. Just show your receipt. The guy goes the driver will confirm that I was alone, and so Finn's like, okay, give me Silas's info. So now Grace is getting a ride home from Careesy and he jokes about like wait till you get my bill, and she believes it for a second and it's like cresy. Maybe not like the jokingness with like the rape victim. And she's like, sorry, my head's still not on straight. And he goes, yeah, you're gonna have a hell of a lump, and it's like it is an assault injury. I think you need to like tone it down. And then she says, could you just pull past my building a little bit? My doorman is like really nosy, and she asks, do you just meet a lot of like victims like me, and he's like, way too many, and she's like, how do their boyfriends usually take it? She suggests like maybe I don't tell Tommy the other stuff, and Caresey's like, that's totally your choice, but support from a loved one is always good. And I can get you a wreck for a therapist and she's like, no, thank you. Like everything Caresey offers this episode, people are like pass thank you. And he also says, you know, I can call your boss so you can take work off tomorrow, and she's like, I'm in between jobs. Tommy pays the bill and bills and he doesn't care that I don't really contribute financially. I do medical research. And he's a thoracic surgeon, which I had to look up also because I wasn't actually positive.
Speaker 2: But it's any.
Speaker 1: Surgical procedures on the organs and the structures within the chest cavity known as the thorax like heart, lungs, esophagus, trachy a, diaphragm.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She gets out to go meet her thoracic surgeon boyfriend and maybe not tell him what happened to her and CARESI gets a call.
Speaker 2: It's like so upsetting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And now Caresian Finn are at and you also have to consider that, I bet in real life the cops are not as like we'll give you a ride home, and we'll like, I'll give you a therapist recommendation and I can call your work and do like you know, like I don't know. Sometimes I feel like that's just added stuff for the show. And you know, but now Caresium Finn are at this guy Silas's office and he's like, what the fuck.
Speaker 2: Grace is the one that attacked me. She was like wonder woman on bath salts.
Speaker 1: And he says he whacked her with the steel rod in self defense when she went after his money clip.
Speaker 2: And he's like, they're like, well what about her wallet?
Speaker 1: And he's like, she never had a wallet, she's broke, and the panties didn't disappear. He goes like any good slut, she wasn't wearing any He's gross, Like, I think he might be innocent of what happened, but he's a gross person.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also he's talking calling girls sweetheart at bars and talking about pigasms.
Speaker 2: He's a he's a fucker.
Speaker 1: Uh So he admits that they had sex but he said it was consensual, and he goes, if you don't mind, I have work to do, and Iced Tea goes, if you don't mind, turn your ass around, which again stamp it on a T shirt, put it in the book. And then the guy goes, Harvey book, the Book of Icy Quotes. It's got to be a coffee table book. We should write it. I mean, they're just so good. It's so good I read I want to write it.
Speaker 2: Let's do that, just like.
Speaker 1: Tasteful photos of Finn with the quotes underneath would be so great black and whites. So anyway, as they're cuffing, like my funny, Yeah, they're cuffing this fucking fuck boy. He goes, Harvey can go to hell and they're like what And he's like me too, this time's up that you can't even pick up a broad at a bar these days. And it's like you are the problem, sir, Like you just you're like fighting for your right to call women broads, you know, And Finn deadpans and goes, what is the world coming to? And so now we're walking Silas Perry into the precinct and Live wants him in an interrogation room. And Live wants Grace to come in there for a lineup, but oops, the number she gave them is to a sorority house at Spence College, and they don't know they don't know her. No one there knows her name, like the name Grace Walker, and that's weird. Cariese's like, we probably just wrote it down wrong. I'll go back to her building. So he goes over there and the doorman where he dropped her off does not know anyone named Grace Walker and he's never seen this girl. And he's like, her boyfriend's Tommy, a thoracic surgeon, and the guy's like, nope, I got allergists, podiatrists, no thorastic surgeon, and none of them are named Tommy. And Carisy asked to see the security footage back to the Pigasm juchebag Silas He's like the bar was closing, Grace wanted to keep partying. He keeps insisting that she attacked him. He didn't call the cops because he's married and they had sex.
Speaker 2: It was not a big deal.
Speaker 1: And then Stone and Benson are watching through the glass. Carisi enters with the bad news that not only is the number fake, but so was the address. The security footage shows Grace going into the building after Carisy drops drop and then walking right back out. So Liv wants to see if Silas might have any clues to find Grace, like did she say anything about herself when they were chatting. Liv goes in there and this guy is rude as fuck. He goes, who are you and she's like, I'm the fucking boss, dude, and he's like, oh, someone with a brain. Finally, and she asks him like, well, what did you two talk about the whole night you were partying, And he goes, I told her I love the new Kanye album. I mean the writers are being so shape, like they are painting this man a perfect portrait of who this man is, right, I told her I loved the new Kanye album and I wrote in my notes I would expect nothing less in caps. And she said she didn't know he was married to Kim Kay, which he thought was weird, and that is weird for you to not know that two of the most famous people in the world.
Speaker 2: Are married when you're like a young woman. And so finally he.
Speaker 1: Tells her she kept talking about pancakes at a diner on one hundred and fifty fifth and Broadway, and I don't give a fuck about the pancakes, like he was like, I was just trying to get in her pants, Like this guy is a piece of shit, and Lives trying to turn the heat up on him, and he's like, your wife's gonna call and Rollins is gonna answer, and he's like, I don't know anything else about the fucking punk pancakes. I was just trying to fuck her. And then Lives like throw him in the cage and he shocked. He's like, I thought I was getting out of here, but I like that they're just gonna make him twist.
Speaker 2: For a little bit.
Speaker 1: Caresa Am Finn are now up at one hundred and fifty fifth Street, and guess what they can't find it.
Speaker 2: That's wildly like respectful to live though once she said she was in charge. Yeah, he wasn't, like you like, he doesn't say that a woman run the place. Yeah he didn't. He was like like, ah, finally, like you know, it was kind of outside his character that we've you know, grown. Yeah, no, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: Maybe his mom worked Careasy and Finn are now at one hundred and fifty fifth on Broadway, and there's not a pancake in sight, but caresy, I want a pancake now we I know a delicious pancake. Careasy clocks a homeless shelter called Walker House, and that is the last name that Grace has been using.
Speaker 2: She's been saying, also a famous pancake house in Chicago. Well in Evanston walker Houses. Yeah, it's Walker Brothers. Oh that's I bet you that's connected.
Speaker 1: Don't you think that that's like the writer is from Chicago or something that makes sense, Yeah, and like like just a little pancake like Easter egg.
Speaker 2: But so they go to Walker House.
Speaker 1: The guy there recognizes Grace, but he's telling about how the Walker family are like these tech billionaires, and they immediately assume that this girl, because she's like what and blonde and pretty and well spoken, I guess is a member of this billionaire family. And they're like, he goes, no, no, Grace comes here twice a day, but she's not related to the tech billionaires who sponsored this place. She's actually unhoused. And they're like, what, like, Cariese's never had his mind blown as hard as he is that this girl does not have a place to live, and they tell him that she was sexually assaulted, and the guy goes, yeah, unfortunately, that's par for the course. Over ninety percent of homeless women have experienced some form of sexual assault, and Grace is what they call a rough sleeper, which means she prefers the street to the shelter. She'd rather be out on the street than in the shelters. Caresy cannot wrap his mind around Grace being homeless, and the guy's like, yeah, because she has good hygiene, like she showers here, she showers at the why, she takes care of herself, and she usually comes in for lunch and sits with Tommy. And so they point out Tommy. They're like, he's the guy in the camo jacket. When they announce themselves to Tommy, he obviously freaks out immediately because I don't think you should like walk toward a guy going Tommy where the cops like, you know, I mean, the guy probably has like Tommy.
Speaker 2: I hate Tommy. Yeah, well I hate Tommy too, but if you want to talk to him, you shouldn't. You shouldn't go in hot like that.
Speaker 1: So he drops his tray, food splatters, on Finn's like shoes and clothes and he's like, oh, hell no, which I love too.
Speaker 2: I love when Finn gets mad that his fit gets ruined.
Speaker 1: And then Tommy makes a run for it, but some old guy with a cane trips his ass and they get him. So now they've got Tommy in interrogation but actually in woodroom lines, and they ask him about his girlfriend, Grace and he's like, that is not my girlfriend. We have some meals together, but that's it, and he's like, Grace is a cuckoo bird, and then they bring up the sexual assault and he starts to feel bad. He's like, wait, what, Like now he feels bad that he just called her cuckoo and he says, people like us are parapatetic and Grace taught him that word, which that word means people that travel around and are like nomadic, and he doesn't know where Grace is though, he says so. Rollins goes into Live's office and starts rat off some statistics like seventy six thousand homeless people in New York City, drug addicts, mensally ill people, domestic violence victims, veterans, and Rollins is like, yeah, but she used the word parapatetic. What's going on there? And she thinks Grace gave them the sorority house number because maybe she went to Spence, which, by the way, Spence is a private school in New York City but not a college, so I guess they just borrowed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there was a college. It gives me like not brand Ice but like bar Yeah, maybe maybe Barnard or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I don't know if it's all girls, but like they are like give me that by a very beautiful like you know, but and Barnard is like part of Columbia and like you can take classes there, so it's not like fully fully all girls, I guess, but that's where Michelle Collins went actually, but Spence is a high school. Yeah, it's like high a private high school anyway. So Live picks up the phone at the sorority Finn and CREESI are flashing Grace's picture and they're talking.
Speaker 2: The girl Stabler's Catholic schools. You're private schools. You're the Stabler of private schools.
Speaker 1: I just private knew a girl in high school who left high school, left our high school to go to Spence, So I'm just I know yeah, I know something because I'm also camp and like my cousins that grew up in the city, I know some of the private schools, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't I couldn't tell you where the Catholic schools are.
Speaker 1: But they're showing this blonde girl and she goes, oh, that's Sophie Simmons, Like we pledged together the sorority three years ago, and she's like, Sophie was my first friend and then one day we had coffee and I never saw her again. And they're like what, and she's like, well, we at first we thought she was just sleeping at this guy's house that she was hooking up with. But after a week we realized she was missing and we called We told the school, they called her parents and then the girl asks like, if you find Sophie, will you tell her I love her and tell her I'm sorry. And like so back at the precinct, they're watching a video of Sophie maybe that this girl gave them, and it's like her friend is begging her like.
Speaker 2: Let's go to this party. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Everybody's going, and she goes, not this future doctor and they're like, come on, Paul's gonna be there, and she's like, okay, I'm in let me get dressed, and then like you know, she's they've convinced her to go out. So now Stone can't believe looking at the photo of her from the sorority that it's the same girl. I think she still looks pretty pretty as the street version of herself, Like she does not like, you know, I don't think that street round. I just I don't buy that.
Speaker 2: So because I didn't not know the next.
Speaker 1: Word, I did not just a little snack, guys, Okay, so in our pantake, yeah see yeah, like okay, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: You guys aren't paying for people to eat. But that's what we talked about last week.
Speaker 1: You're not paying for people to eat, but then you're gonna cut their hand off if they steal. All right, So in three years, what's going on with this girl? She never picked up a phone to ask for help. Stone asks, did she ever call her parents? Her parents live in Rye, which is a suburb of New York that's probably forty minutes outside the city. They're on their way. Amanda brings up an app that helps track the unhoused, called street Life NYC. I do not know if this is a real thing, but it helps families locate loved ones. And she posted Grace's photo with a hashtag and now is hoping for the best. I guess you would download Street Life NYC and go, just a homeless person looks like the person you're looking for. Is that how it would work? Like it's a misconnections kind of for on house people. I don't know anyway, just through a whole thing in my brain, I go, I wonder who would use that?
Speaker 2: Should I help find people?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 2: This is probably for people that know a missing person. I'm not getting involved.
Speaker 1: I thought all of that Rollins is literally like they just have to make rollins the tech guru all the time, so she knows about the app. So Stone is like she knows about MMA gambling the South. Stone is upset. This whole storyline is upsetting Stone and lives like, what's up, dude. She gets it out of him. He's like, my sister went missing once before they institutionalized her and she endsed up on the street with a junkie doing meth. So Stone says it's the only time he ever saw his father cry. And don't forget his dad was the Ada on original recipe like the first four seasons eighty eight episodes Ben Stone and so if you have that man's face in your head, picture him crying over his daughter being missing and on the street doing drugs. Sophie's parents arrive and the last time they saw her was Freshman parents weekend. Sophie's dad brought her new step mom and Sophie was pissed because her mom died when she was five. And I don't think she's warmed up to the new stepmom yet. But after that weekend, she never texted, emailed or called. They hung up posters, they hired pis nothing and it is It's like, is there a missing person's case in the NYPD? I don't know, not that they would necessarily owe do something, but they do kind of get it up for a fucking white woman that's missing from the suburbs.
Speaker 2: They do try. Uh, Dad asks does she still hate me?
Speaker 1: And lives like, dude, I don't want to bum you out, but she has not mentioned your ass one time, and that is a that is a sting. And the dad, you can tell, is burned by that, and Liv goes, we're busting our asses trying to find her, and the dad is like suddenly furious.
Speaker 2: He's like, you don't have her, you call yourself a cop? What the fuck? And Stone is like, bitch, I should arrest you.
Speaker 1: And Live has to like calm the whole room down, and she tells Stone like, dog, you cannot attack the parents. And Stone's pissed. He's like they didn't do enough. He's like, my dad had half of the NYPD working overtime. It's like, yeah, he was an executive Ada. They're not the same of dads.
Speaker 2: But if they didn't even do a police support, it is fucked up. Yeah, that is weird.
Speaker 1: I do feel like if they had gotten want missing posters out through the NYPD, like we would have found this girl.
Speaker 2: She's in bars, she's on the street, you know, like yeah, they do find people.
Speaker 1: But Stone doesn't get it and Rollin's bus in and goes, oh my gosh, guys, good news apps work. I found Grace slash Sophie on street life app and she's panhandling on the corner of Henry and Grand Again, I wrote, how does this app work? Like I don't understand. I was like, like, is it just spying on people? And going I think this looks like the guy you're looking for. Live tell Stone you need to chill, and then she takes off to go find Sophie. Finn and Carisi are about to approach Sophie slash Grace when they see Tommy walk up to her and then he just fucking sucker punches her right in the damn face and then they start fighting in a pile of trash bags and caris he's also a lot older than her. Yeah, he's a lot older. He's huge compared to her, and they arrest all obviously.
Speaker 2: Like Penelope Dissick flew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she flew like little Penelope Dissick. So now we're at the hospital. Grace slash Sophie is like, just leave me alone. I just want you as leave me alone. And they're like, oh, your boyfriend just beat the shit out of you. And they tell her like, we have enough evidence to, like, you know, proceed with an assault case on him and he could go to jail. And Cresey's like, please tell me you don't love this guy, and she's like I need him, and Creasey's like, but he hits you, that's not a good deal, and she's like better than a million other guys who will rape me just because So this guy is clearly like boyfriend. The term is very loose, like this guy just protects her on the street in exchange for.
Speaker 2: Sex, I think.
Speaker 1: So they bring up Silas case and she goes, forget it, he didn't rape me. He paid me what we agreed to. I tried to take more like I got greedy. So they're like okay, So then Tommy just punched you in the face because you cheated on him, and she goes, yeah, we have a deal, and Lives like, girl, why are you living like this? Why don't you call your parents? And she goes they're dead, And when liv asks what are their names, she goes, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Why can't I remember that? And then Live shows her her own sorority.
Speaker 1: Photo and she goes, she's pretty, but she doesn't recognize herself in the photo, and they go does the name Sophie Simmons mean anything? She says no, and then she goes, well, there's some people who want to meet you. Be right back, and then they bring in the dad and he calls her Sophie and he's crying and she's like, Dad, why are you crying? What am I doing here? Is something wrong with me? So this is the part of it that I didn't remember. I was like, what is going on with her? I thought it was maybe just a mirror of stone situation when I was first watching it, that like she had schizophrenia and was like on the street, and you know that happens all the time, but it's you know, it gets it changed, it's different now. Sophie slash Grace is looking at photos and recounting memories to a therapist and she remembers fucking everything. She is telling a detailed story about being in Florida with her dad and exactly what happened when she fell on her face and all this, and she says when her mom was alive, her dad worked all the time, she didn't see him that much, but after her mom died, he actually became much more involved and she really loved getting all that attention from him. She remembers dad and past the stepmom visiting on freshman parents weekend, and after that she doesn't remember. And then she's and in that scene she's talking to a therapist, and we've seen this therapist before in other episodes, Like I think she was maybe in the born psychopath episodes, but I forgot to look her up and it is dissociative fugue disorder, which is a very rare condition where a patient loses autobiographical information and in the absence of a personal identity, they adopt a new one, and it's usually triggered by child abuse or sexual assault. So Grace has been on the streets being assaulted for three years, not Sophie. Like Sophie, the personality has been exiled from her conscious mind, hence the name of the episode. Stone is like, well, that's dramatic, and she's like, well, yeah, it's like she killed Sophie and created Grace, and we have to figure out the source of the trauma. It could have happened at Spence or maybe it was her dad.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: And this case is not going to fucking hold up with this amnesia situation. So Lives like, we got to take Sophie back to the place where she became Grace. So now we're at Spence. It looks beautiful. I wonder where they are and Gray Slash Sophie is telling Live about how rushing THETA was so on fleek and what a time capsule. Uh, we would no one would dare now and Live was Live goes. Oh, yeah, I was a Phi Delta.
Speaker 2: Who knew? Did we ever know? Live was a sorority girl? This is the first time of it. Yeah, first I have heard. I know she was like she always tries to like pretend she wasn't cool, Like she's always trying to vibe with the loser. I'm thinking of the episode Popular where she was like, you know, I got picked on and I kept secrets and my mom and then it's like you were like a full blown sorority Sligh when your Prada and your fancy stuff and I don't know, it's just like so different. I can't I honestly can't believe you were. I wonder if she was in real life, like where this came from? So shocking. This must have been meetings to discuss Yeah, and she was dating older men.
Speaker 1: Not that I think that makes you cool, but I don't think it makes you like a little like it was like in the back of the room doing my homework, you know, like she was she had older boyfriends. Anyway, she tells Grace Slash Sophie that college was really an escape for her, and then Sophie sees a tree where she first met Paul and that was the first guy she ever.
Speaker 2: She goes, I was a late bloomer.
Speaker 1: I was like, girl, I lost my virginity way after eighteen, So we want to talk about late bloomer.
Speaker 2: I'm the latest bloomer, and Live.
Speaker 1: Confesses she survived on Captain Crunch and it wasn't until she moved in with Billy that she started upgraded to cans of tuna.
Speaker 2: And then they have a combo about the past.
Speaker 1: Being over, but it's not always over, like you know, Live is really call like really like carefully getting into this situation with her, like she's not coming out and asking any questions, just kind of setting the scene for her to figure out what happened here.
Speaker 2: Then they go to this they see this beautiful dorm.
Speaker 1: She goes, this is where I lived with all the pre meds, and then she start They go inside and she starts like touring Live around and talking about like how she was such a nerd at school, like a front row kid. But suddenly her mood changes and she goes, you should see the football stadium and Lives like, no, why don't we stay here? Because Lives like amazing at reading people's reactions, and the girl's like, but the football stadium is like really cool, and she's like no, no, like what's down here. She's like maybe, like let's keep walking around here, and she goes, maybe you'll run into someone you know, and she goes, yeah, like professor Adams, I hate him. He gave me a B minus and she'd never gotten below a bee before. And then she starts to freak out because she's like, oh my god, my dad's going to kill me. He told me if I got below a bee he was going to send me to Sunny, which is so the dad.
Speaker 2: That makes me think the dad is shitty.
Speaker 1: Not that there's anything wrong with Sunny, but like, don't like what a weird fucking threat. Live calms her down. I have many friends who went to Sunny grade schools. Live calms her down and goes, yeah, parents say a lot of shit. But then they go she's like, let's go in. They get into the office, it's it's you know, she's scared. She doesn't want to go in or see him, but no one is in the office, so they go inside and then she sees this like nasty like love seat in the corner of the office and she's like, that is where it was. She goes, I came to see him to see if I could do extra credit, and he told me he believed in sex for grades. I thought it was a joke and I laughed, but he wasn't joking. He grabbed me. He pushed me down, and while he was attacking her, she goes, I had a pen in my pocket and it was jabbed against my leg until it broke, and we can see the blue ink stain on the couch, so like we know her story is like real, and she says, I still have the scar. She's like, I tried to scream. He covered my mouth, and Live calms her down and is like, who's gonna believe me?
Speaker 2: And she's like, I do.
Speaker 1: I believe you, And she tells her we're gonna find this bastard and confront him. And then, like in a movie, a woman walks in and goes, what are you doing in my office? And they're like, where's Professor Adams? And this woman drops the bomb he died in March. Fuck Sophie slash Grace starts to sob. The woman explains he had a heart attack, So this fucker It's like when we do a case and a guy goes to jail and then we find out they die in jail two months later. I'm like, it's not fair, Sophie. Yeah, yeah, I hate that our big pet peeves Sophie. Grace is in the in Lives office now, and Lives trying to comfort her, but Sophie is pissed. She's like, don't call me, Sophie. You told me I would start healing when I confronted him, and now he's dead. There's no healing. Like she's having like an episode. She really does not. She's not taking this well. Lives like, let me drive you home. She's like, I'm not going home. I was better off on the streets. At least Tommy took care of me. And look what you did. And then Live goes here, takes a coffee mug and gives it to Sophie and goes just throw it. She just turns her office into a smash room. She goes throw this in, so Sophie rows it on the ground and like does that feel good? And she's like, see, he's dead, but you're not. And she's like it's not enough, and she runs out of the office. Later that evening, Careesy finds live and is like, hey, another priestinct just called us that Sophie was found dumpster diving on the Lower East Side and claims her name is Grace Walker.
Speaker 2: So they're bringing her in and lives like and then what, she won't go home, She'll end up back on the street.
Speaker 1: And even if they fifty one fifty her like, which is when you put somebody on a mental hold basically for mental evaluation, which, by the way I read on the IMDb of this page is something fifty one fifty as a term only exists in California, So it's funny that they're using it on SVU and they're like yeah, and they're like she'll just lives, Like she'll just get drugged up and put back out on the street in a couple of days. Like it's a vicious cycle, which is a fact. I mean, like that's the whole like a huge problem with like, you know, the unhouse population is that like even if you can get them temporary solutions, a lot of times they just end up getting put back out on the street by police, you know, like skid row in Los Angeles. It's like anytime a person gets out of the hospital and has nowhere to go. They drop them in skid Row. That's like the place, and that's why skid Row is the way it is. You know. It's just like a bit of a Mad Max kind of area, if you will. But there have to be other solutions. Other cities have solved these problems, and I don't understand why we can't. But that's another time. Lives like this guy was a professor. He was supposed to guide young minds, not destroy them. And Caresee's like, I'd kill that guy if he wasn't already dead, and liv goes, that's genius, Careesi. I'm gonna argue about the genius of it all. But it's an idea. It's something to try, so now live but it's still her idea. He said, a thing that like inspired her, right right. It's like, no, you're a genius, but you just don't want to call yourself a genius all the time.
Speaker 2: And I get it. You're a humble queen.
Speaker 1: So Liv is now standing with Sophie in front of Logan Adam's gravestone, the professor who raped her and truly like ruined her life for the past three years, and she's breeding her him this statement. Reading the statement to the gravestone, like, she says, like the last three years of her life, she's been on the street, letting strange men use her body for food protection drugs.
Speaker 2: I was eighteen.
Speaker 1: I lost time with my friends, my studies, my dad. You got a few measly minutes of sexual gratification, and I lost my life. I will never forgive you for what you did to me, but hopefully I can move on with the help from my family and friends. She glances at Live and she said, I'm going to survive. Yes I am, and then Live whispers yes you are a couple of times to her, and that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 2: That was some sorority shit at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was some sister shit. Sister shit, Yes for sure. So I'll take you on a journey. Yeah me, okay, I'm gonna take you on a journey. So this crime it's not this is like, this is actually really wild and there are I'll just get into it.
Speaker 2: So this woman's name is Hannah Up. Hannah's the twenty three what I lived in New York when this was happening. I totally forgot that this was based Oh my gosh, this was wild when it was going on. But I don't remember any of the details. But this that name.
Speaker 1: My sister and I talked about it all the time, Like when I would be walking on the street, I'd be like, I wonder if I'm gonna see her today, Like I would literally have my eyes peeled for her. Wow, Like it was such a big story. Okay, but go on, I forget a lot of the details. Well yeah, okay, so it's she's at this time.
Speaker 2: It's two thousand and eight, and she's twenty three years old, and she's a teacher at Thurgood Marshall Academy in Harlem. She graduated from Brinn mar So maybe that's a little spence. Vibe began teaching Spanish to more than two hundred seventh and eighth graders while studying for her master's degree in education at Pace University. She grew up in a small town in Oregon. She's the daughter of two pasts. Mom lived in Philly, dad lived in India. They got divorced. Okay, so the dad's like really fundamentalists and kind of nuts and yeah, and then the whatever they're both like, I do have an issue with white ass missionaries that go to places and try to get people to be like Christian. Yeah, yeah, leave the Philippines alone. I don't know. I just like don't get it.
Speaker 1: I I.
Speaker 2: Don't get that in terms of service, it's like a cop out to actually doing anything. It bothers me.
Speaker 1: But anyways, yeah, I mean it's door to door sales essentially. It's just asking people right to get into your It's like Book of Mormon the musical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're just so high and mighty. Yeah, like I don't know what. Anyways. September two thousand and eight, she doesn't show up to the first day of school, strange. Then her roommate finds her wallet, passport, metro card, and cell phone in her purse on the floor of the bedroom. She was missing for nearly two weeks, and then she was spotted at the Apple Store in Midtown. Her friends had been putting out thousands of flyers camping out at her apartment, you know, splitting up all the city parks into quadrants. They sent groups of people into the woods. I mean, she had a great group run through running paths. There's footage from the Apple store though, and a man approached her asked her if she was the missing teacher in the news. So that interaction happened, and then so they showed Barbara Bells, the mom. She came down to town to watch the footage and she's like, yeah, let's fud my fucking daughter. And at the Apple Store she logged into her Gmail account and then looked at it for a second and then left. But people really loved her, and you can see but like all the effort that went in, you know. And unfortunately the New Yorker did say she lit up a room so dangerous. Come on, we gotta stop. Yeah, And she had no barriers with her. Her friends said that, like everyone thought they were her closest friend and she really was raised to trust and care for people. And so then they had that sighting. And then two days after she was spotted at a Starbucks and soho as well, and then spotted at five New York sports clubs around Midtown. So September sixteenth, the captain of a Staten Island ferry saw a woman's body bobbing in the water south of the Statue of Liberty and he goes, it's like so fucking rare to find someone with like all this water it's like finding a b like a like a big pen. He's like a ballpoint pen in a sea. But this guy, Captain Christopher Cavella, was a mariner with thirty two years of experience and more than seventeen thousand trips on the Staten Island Ferry, and so thank god that he was there. They got her and they thought she was dead, but when they pulled her up, she took a giant gasp of air and began crying. She was wearing only red running shorts and a black sports spra, so she was taken to a medical Yes, wait, what SVU was it?
Speaker 1: Where someone does this? Remember there's an SVU where someone is in the water and they but they're alive and they're like hypothermic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they they they were lying. It was a fake. Okay, it was fake. This isn't this isn't no, no, I know this isn't fake.
Speaker 1: I was just like it felt like that sv like borrowed from this story then at one point but twisted it, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Go on, Yeah, I think the timing's off too. But that one is the one where she like goes to find drugs but then like fucks up her room and then her boyfriend starts like a Twitter account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deborah, it's like all episode. Yeah, the red Head, the red Head, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember the main crime, like that's her faking But then they find someone or is there a false arrest or they start harassing the guy upstairs? Is it isolation? Is it the one? Is it the Cockerroach episode with Stabler?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on hold seclusion? What is it called isolation? Solitary? It's solitary, Yes, solitary. We did it, everybody.
Speaker 2: I mean that was really electric and like, I don't know, wearing a Benson shirt looking up it like it really it's like, I gotta get another one. And that episode is from O nine. That episode is from O nine.
Speaker 1: I think they bond from this real story but made it, made it like, you know, the girl was faking it or she put her she threw herself into the water or whatever.
Speaker 2: Damn okay away. So she's taken into a medical center on Staten Island. She's treated for hypothermia, dehydration, and severe sunburn that was left on the left side of her body. She also had a giant blister which is the only physical record of like these weeks that she had on the move. And maybe she went to the water because her feet hurt, like yeah, so I don't know, But for those three weeks she was unable to access her own story. She knew nothing. Finally, medical staff started asking her sons of questions and she started to snap back and knew her name, her mother's phone number. Her mom arrived within an hour of the call. Four of her friends came to the hospital that day as well. She smiled at her roommate, Menuel Ramirez, and said, I hope they released me soon because I have to set up my classroom. And that's according to the New Yorker. And then she's like she did not realize three weeks had gone by crazy. The last memories she had was taking a run in Riverside Park the day she went missing. And then she also like explains how she was filled with like shame and embarrassment, guilt, like like she wanted to go back to her regular life. Everything was weird, and like she just felt bad and didn't know what to do. She was transferred to a psych unit in Columbia University Medical Center, and there was no neurological condition found at all that would cause her to forget her identity, so they concluded it had to be psychological in nature. And you know, she remembered details of her life prior to her disappearance, but nothing in those three weeks. So like in the episode, the diagon was disassociative fugue and Kara said it, Yeah, it's a rare condition where people lose access to their autobiographical memory and personal identity, occasionally adopting a new one and may and it could be like a long fucking journey. And it's typically triggered by trauma, sexual, physical combat, natural disaster, or unbearable internal conflict. Wow, and they don't lose memory of like how to hail a cab or other mundane tasks. The only memory loss is tied to their identity. Yea, she could have still you know, kept living. So then this is like probably also with the title of the episode, this guy Felipe Tissy, I don't know Tishy. There was there was a lot of accents in this upcoming philosophy section which I'm not I'm not learning in new ways. Sorry, we're in America. I'm not active, I'm not putting on accents Felipe to see whatever. One of the first psychiatrics to study I mean I should respect him enough to learn how to say his name. Anyways, he was the first to study this, and he characterized it as a kind of self exile. Drink if you're home and safe. The French psychologist, I don't know what the word was on watching What Happens Live? Oh, I forgot the drinking word. Did you guys drink? I don't know if Oh my gosh, well I watched it the next morning on my DVR. Yeah, so I didn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't drinking, but I was really in a It was probably like West or Sierra or something like.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be something somehow sy Yeah, for sure, I just like, don't. I didn't even you know, I was okay, at we're back, we're back, We're serious, Okay. French psychologists Pierre Janet again probably an accent A meeting Jane.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Pierre Janet, Pier Janet, Pierre, do not say Jane. It has to be Pierre Janet. It's Pierre Janet.
Speaker 2: So this French guy psychologist in eighteen eighty nine wrote, according to the New Yorker personal unity, identity initiative are not primitive characteristics of psychological life. They are incomplete results acquired with difficulty after long work, and they remain very fragile. Wow, we take a lot of us for granted, you know, and it keeps being added. So like at Selkardinia, professor of psychology at Lund University in Sweden, he's saying, this is like a phenomena that and this is again the New Yorker. I'm gonna keep mentioning it. So the phenomena that in quotes, it falls between the cracks of the house built by contemporary mainstream psychology. In our culture, we have a nice narrative that personality is stable. That is a fiction when a person enters a fugue and becomes someone else or isn't there. It's an exaggerated version of the way we all are.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, like a break from reality time. Who you are like fucking crazy and we feel so I think attached to our personality is obviously our identity.
Speaker 1: We're going to be attached And it is wild because I always I'm always really.
Speaker 2: My heartstrings always get really pulled when schizophrenia gets brought up because it's like that too, where like we take it for granted and then you're like, what twenty seven and your brain breaks and suddenly you think like people are out to get you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Kind of crazy to think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean the girl in the episode goes, your brain trying to protect yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's how dark shit is. Like it's because I'm also seeing it as physical cracks too, Like I see it as like falling into the drawings of the brain.
Speaker 1: Like the the girl in the episode goes, this is so not like me, like right away, and you're like, okay, so and then she obviously like she knew enough to like create this alternate identity about the therasca.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get there. I'm gonna get there. Okay, this is perfect, Okay. So okay, So and now you know hypnosis, we're going to talk about it, you know, trendle her Okay, Okay. So they tried to get her to recall a traumatic event, but she really couldn't remember anything unusual. She just couldn't. Hypnosis did not work in that way. They trecked her around places like in the show to trigger some memories, so places that she usually went from her past, and it felt like because she was just continually roaming during this time and she did return to familiar shit. So she was a freakin, which is crazy. So she knew how to eat from the streets, okay, And then so she went to this Japanese floor vating lantern ceremony at a peer to memorialize nine to eleven at one point, and she grew up in a Japanese American church even though both her parents were American, her mom spoke fluent Japanese and had taught in Japan. So it was like she was drawn to the familiar. Got it, got it? She had gone to the ceremony honoring nine to eleven and then went back to the pier three days later and entered the water and the Japanese stuff like, and then the time she spent in the water, she was laying on rocks, holding onto barges, swimming and like. So when she needed to survive, her brain kept her alive, but not there and she was missing for like, I don't know, it keeps changing from three weeks to seventeen days, Like the days are not consistent in any of that because I use a couple other sources and so people in fugue states, like I said, adopt new identities, but for Hannah, it was more like a complete absence of identity. Her mother tells The New Yorker. It was like a dangerous nothingness, Oh my gosh. And it was just nothingness. And also so the sunburn, Like while she was there, she while she was grabbing onto rocks, that's how she was able to survive, and that's the sunburn. So she would sleep on these big rocks and then get sunburned, like everything all her like her body told the tale of all this too. But survive wildly by holding onto shit and in the water in the cold, and you have no control over what you are doing is so fucking scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like she obviously entered the water at a place where she could have gone back to shore but didn't and just kind of drifted out and then survived by sheer muscle memory maybe like crazy.
Speaker 2: But also if the captain one minute later should have been dead because they found her face down, oh shit. So I don't know, or her body would have saved her. I kept saving her.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So after this ordeal, she left the city and moved in with her mom in Pendall Hill, which is a Quaker area in Pennsylvania. And she was there for three years and like got you know, like worked in Montessori school and was into like Montsory education. I mean she was like a teacher, was getting that certification. And then she went to be an assistant at a Monascori school in Maryland and it was for underserved children. And then on the first day of class, her mother got a call from police and her purse, wallet, phone had been found on a wooden footpath in Kensington, Maryland. A. Yeah, a colleague saw her walking the wrong direction of the school. So my thing is and it's like obviously you need to like goal of your life, but I would never let her out of my sight, like I don't know or like a GPS like this is where we got toes. Well yeah, but this this is like before AirTag. So they looked for her and found out she didn't sleep at her place, had not been seen for twenty four hours, and then at ten thirty pm the next day, the mom got a call. Hannah found herself in a dirty creek in Wheat in Maryland, a mile and a half from her school, with a shopping cart next to her she'd been she'd realized she'd been walking for two days and when she to use a stranger's phone then to call her mom, her friends and me, probably are you less sing? I don't know, like you're all seeing this. The connection is it's the beginning of the school year, and I found out that she always traveled in August before school started with her father. Oh, there was always this trip with her father. There's no accusation or anything, but in my head, I'm like, the father has something to do with us. But anyways, it was always the beginning of the school year, so something might have happened or it was just like overloading. And then also both times she found herself in bodies of water, so what is happening.
Speaker 1: Also is the dad coming back into the picture from India now that is at one of his daughter going through this big ordeal three years ago.
Speaker 2: She kept visiting. There was like a lot about their past and like being past years and stuff like you know, the New Yorker really likes to fluff it up. I didn't want to. I didn't include everything, but you like reader or no, I'm just literally she continued me too immediately, But yeah, they like snuck it in that he she did always do trips with him before school started, and like met him where he was. He's always traveling. He's in India now, but he was like all over the place and he's just like by the but like he seems annoying and weird. And I wonder if there's religious trauma or something because or not, or it's the school, or it's none of these things. But nothing came out. She doesn't know the trauma, but her brain might be saving herself. I don't know. Yeah, but those are just the three connections. It's like the timing and the water. So she got very into Montessory, like I said. So then she moves to Saint Thomas, an island surrounded by water. Surrounded by water. Now, she loved being in the island. She was an amazing teacher. The heads of school loved her. They're like, when we had to show people about like how great her teachers are, we would take him to her class. Like everyone loves this bitch. Like she seemed to be really like educated, sweet, empathetic, fun caring, like she seemed to be the full package. So now it's September sixth, twenty seventeen, We're getting ready for Hurricane Irma, and she contacted friends. She's like, hey, I'm safe, but the island is devastated. And then another Hurricane Maria was coming soon. Her old friends checked in on her, and they actually had a code after everything took place, like that's why me she had such a support system. But I also would be like, you're not moving to Saint Thomas, Like I don't know, but you gotta live your you know, okay. So basically their little code was after the first, you know, big story that you remember and everything. She did an interview with ABC News, and ABC described Hannah as a friendly vegetarian who likes to try new dishes. So her friends would go friendly vegetarian and she would respond, who likes to try new dishes? And that was yeah, I like that, and she did that. She did that post and then like, but her roommates were leaving the island, her boyfriend was leaving the island. She's like, I'm staying in my island. My heart says, I have to stay here. You know, school's gonna be the first step of normalcy for these children, and I want to be here for these children. The next morning, though she didn't show up to school. After three days, nobody heard from her or seen from her state's island nowhere and again the same time of year, September. Yeah, so the state friends, the state side friends told the island friends like go to bodies of water search for her. And all these bodies of waters they went to all her favorite beaches and then they found like a bar near the water where she always liked to go. And the bar, while they were cleaning shit from the hurricane, found her son dressed sandals and car keys in the debut. Oh no, her car was in the parking lot and inside was her perse wallet, passport's cell phone. This is what Okay, So this is wild. I can't believe it happened again. There must have been a way to help her. I'm like so mad at everyone, Like it's really pissing. I don't know. I have really like not good reactions, not combactionate enough as I should be. So she and she'd been good for years though years this is twenty seventeen, so like she was working on her training, working on the island. Her marm and Barbara went down there immediately and then spent months searching for her.
Speaker 1: Daughter.
Speaker 2: So in January twenty eighteen, two caseworkers at the bethlam House shelter for the homeless in downtown Saint Thomas reported they had just seen Hannah at an abandoned building where people smoke crack. So that Barbara and a detective from the Virgin Islands Police Department, Albion George drove, sorry, I'm thinking about Janet again, Okay, drove to the three story structure and they did find a woman, but it was not Hannah. Then. The last update was from the Virgin Islands Daily News from November twenty twenty four that the school honored the missing teacher. It would oh, it would have been her fortieth birthday on November twenty ninth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Wow. I did not fucking know this happened to this girl, Like I only knew the New York piece of this. I know, it's really sad. She's been missing now for over seven years. Last scene on the morning of September fourteenth, twenty seventeen. And yeah, so the associate of fugue rare form of amnesia. Suddenly you just forget every it can be from a few years, few hours, too years and if you want to know more, you guys can watch the Bourne identity.
Speaker 2: Jason Bourne is the most famous sufferer of disassociated fuchus, And that's stated by the New York Times. So I'm not trying to be like a smart ass. And Jason Bourne was actually named after the first recorded case of the condition by a man, Anselborne, who was a Rhode Island preacher who had this happened in eighteen eighty seven where he was traveling to Providence, when he actually just went to Norristown, Pennsylvania, opened a store, lived with another family, and then one day he woke up and went what the fuck and then went back to his old life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it says that travel is a big defining characteristic of this doctor Philip Koon's, a professor emeritus of psychiatry at Indiana University, quoted to the New York Times. People have been known to not only travel across cities or countries, but also across continents. The explanation behind the fugue is that the person is running away a bad situation, a bad marriage, or a bad financial situation. But we never figured out this bad thing that happened to Hannah, or if something happened, you know, Like I said, the trips that have to do with visiting her father tied to the school anything. We really don't know any information, and it's like so sad and such a sad end and like you know, it's it's always like a blessing when you don't have to talk about horrific sexual abuse. But this is like really sad.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I wish it ended in New York and she could.
Speaker 1: And nothing jogged for her when she was back in like her regular moments of living life, like right, like wow, oh god, that's horrible, horrible. I watched a show on Netflix called Marcella that was about a woman who was like a detective, but she would also block out and have these fugue states as well. But I think that was trauma related because her child had died or something like that. So I hope none of us, none of you listening, ever go into a fugue. Yes, yes, not wishing fugues on anyone right now. Wow, Well, we have a great interview coming up to cleanse the palette that this will be an interview you want to remember, so don't go anywhere. Our guest today is a dancer, theater director and actor who you may have seen in shows like FBI or The Enemy Within, but you know her best as a sufferer of dissociated fugue disorder Grace Walker slash Sophie Simmons. Please enjoy our chat with the very lovely aim spring Foreshad. First things, first performance, thanks for being here.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Before we jump into that, I was obviously scrolling your Instagram and I saw a picture. I saw multiple pictures of you with Keelee Miller. Oh my, we've just interviewed. Like the episode hasn't even come out, it's coming out like next week.
Speaker 2: Oh. I just thought that was so saying.
Speaker 1: It was like the two of you at like Paramore, and I was like, look at this, these two yes cowls.
Speaker 2: What a big part?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How did you prep? By mean you're crying or you know, you don't know what's happening, Like, so what's the prep for a big part like this? There was a lot of crying.
Speaker 4: No, what's crazy is I know Keeley from this acting class that we were in where like you spend like years perfecting, you know, like Maggie the Cat and I got this audition and I guess they thought I lived in LA because I like switched agencies and so I like shot it in you know, twelve hours, and then I sent it in and then actually, like all my friends were getting calls back for it, and I was like, I thought I did really well. Like they usually called me back, like why did I have to send a self tape? Usually they just like bring me in And I heard nothing. And then like two days before they started shooting, my agent was like they're calling and asking if you have a place to stay in New York. I don't know what they mean by that, And I was like what. And so I guess I got cast thinking that I had to be like, you know, like fly myself to New York. And so I had like no time to prep and I was like, this is like the biggest, like the most amount of like heavy scenework I've ever had to do in my life, and uh, I just have to.
Speaker 2: Like show up and do my best. So you got the script just two days before and that was that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I think I got like the first draft for an audition the audition, but like I had kind of forgotten about it because I thought, I, you know, didn't get it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that was intense. It was like a good I like, you know, I like love to prepare.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you know, love to put a lot of work in and I just like was stripped of my crazy security blanket.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy how quick casting goes. Sometimes you're like, yeah, I can't give people a week, like come.
Speaker 2: On, yeah, did you kind of light like for the future now or you did you enjoy not having that time to prep or you like fuck that I want to prep.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I think I would have liked a calmer nervous system like which like the preparation does.
Speaker 2: But it's funny because so the last okay, am I write that down and I kind of love that preparation calms the nervous system.
Speaker 4: Sometimes sometimes you can like over prepare. Yeah, it does for me because I like to you know, I don't like surprises. But so the the scene where I flipped the table, that was like not originally part of the script. That was something that they did like a reshoot like that. That was like a week before the episode aired. They were like they called me at like seven pm and they were like, we're doing reshoots. Can you come in tomorrow at eight am and I was like directing a play at the time, and we had it was our opening.
Speaker 2: Night that BA was like a tea in a movie night.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like coming out of tech.
Speaker 4: I like hadn't showered in a week and I'd been like eating Bodega sandwiches and they were like, you come and like shoot this big scene or like I didn't know what it was. They were like, we just need to do some reshoots. And then I get the script and I'm like, oh my god, this is like the emotional crisis of the whole episode and I have to like flip a table and like push met harget day and like break glasses and I was like, oh my god. And so I that was the moment where like I showed up the next morning and I was just like it took us like twenty minutes to shoot it because I was just like I didn't need anything the whole time. Like I didn't I it was just me the whole time, Like I just needed to show up as myself and like, you know, uncover all my fears or uh, you know, I didn't need any work. It's kind of like what it felt like at the end. But yeah, so that's the scene that felt like I really got her. And uh it was like three weeks after we wrapped, so maybe it just like needed some time to marinate.
Speaker 1: How and then I'm really interested at the fight. In the fight scene with the trash bags, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. So the guy who played my boyfriend, James, he was a doll. He's like this wonderful, wonderful person and we had like theater friends in commons, so I was like, oh my gosh, just like wreck me.
Speaker 2: Like like I just was like, let's just like fully commit.
Speaker 4: And I did get some bruises, but I had like I did have a stunt double who was like teaching me how to like and of course the trash bags are all like full of you know, like pillows, so when I like fell down, I was like on a but yeah, I had to like panhandle and uh, you know I got to shake shake some like my cup of change for some walker buyers that were not aware we were filming.
Speaker 2: So that was fun too. Did you get any donations? I don't think so. I don't think so. I don't think I sad enough.
Speaker 4: There was like one regret I had because there's a close up in that scene of like my hands, and I remember being like, well, I don't want to have like gross nails on camera, but I I'm also supposed to be homeless, so I got a manicure with like clear nail polish. And for me, that was like the dead giveaway. I was like, this girl is not homeless. I was mortified. I was like I can't believe I did that. But anyway, wow, so yeah, this must have been like huge.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you got to have so much FaceTime with Marishka supportive, lovely, amazing, the usual.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, she's amazing. It's also like a well oiled machine where like there's a new girl every week who's like got a lot of emotional stuff and they're like ready with the you know, emergency room with water and tissues and like yes there is.
Speaker 2: She is like wonderful at holding space. Like after the.
Speaker 4: After the scene the like pen on the couch scene, I like kind of had a panic attack because I was like breathing so weirdly like I was. I don't I didn't mean to like induce a panic attack, but I kind of did. And yeah, and she just kind of like swept me into this like other room and closed the door and just like breathed with me and we had water and we chatted and and then I ended up like having lunch with her in the trailer later and we like talked about her trauma.
Speaker 1: It was like, Wow, what'd you guys have to Yeah, what do we have to eat? Okay, I'm like, what's Mariskau's trauma?
Speaker 2: You're like, what'd you guys eat?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I feel like we all know Marishka's trauma because she was like yeah, like true, but okay, I remember. I don't remember what I ate that day, but I do remember, like when you're at base camp in Chelsea Peers the food being like so good, oh really, and me being like wow, they're like scallops and like lamb like nice yes, and me being like this is amazing, and everyone's like yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I was like very impressed, and I felt I don't know, I felt poor. Listen because even when you said I'm like good quality fresh, I was imagining juices. I really, I can't believe there's scallops and lamb. That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was having a scallop'd shoot that's like for lunch.
Speaker 2: Wolf, Stop fucking around?
Speaker 1: How is that scene with the two douchebags at the bar, Like, it's probably not the first scene. It's the first scene where we meet you pretty much, but like it's not it probably wasn't the first one you shot, but no.
Speaker 4: Actually the first one I shot was the last scene in the the episode in the graveyard in the rain.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like the.
Speaker 4: First time I met everyone, and I like, I don't think I slept the night before because I was like, this is just like so much on the first day and I'm going to like meet everybody.
Speaker 1: So for all that, let me ask, because you're holding a piece of paper that you're reading off of are you reading your line?
Speaker 2: Are you really reading the speech off of it? Or did you memorize it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I memorized okay, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: But I also was like referring to it yeah yeah, yeah, that's like a actor thing because like fuck, you know, props will like fuck you, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Something will happen and you'll lose your place.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that was the first scene we shot, and I was relieved to get it over with, but also like it was a big one to jump in on and it was raining. It was like five am, and then I think I think that's we had a really really long day of shooting at that bar. It was like a se It was like a sixteen hour day, I think because they I think I think they had like a rain machine.
Speaker 1: Or somebody that really raining. They just wanted you to be like, yeah, doing your hair and the blower and everything. Yeah, So that was that leather jacket was awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It was prada. I felt, yeah, I knew it was good. I can't believe it was not a leather jacket.
Speaker 2: Wow, I know.
Speaker 4: And then that I remember like them asking me the cosh. We had like a bunch of stuff for that for opening scene, and they were like, which one do you think? And I was like, I want this shirt because it's like a found object. I wanted to feel like she found it somewhere. And she made a dress out of it and.
Speaker 2: They had to like add.
Speaker 4: Stuff to the bottom because it was like too short, oh television.
Speaker 2: So but yeah, the scene in the bar was super fun.
Speaker 4: Actually, I feel like any anything where I wasn't crying was like a joy. It was like a nice break from the trauma. So and they were great.
Speaker 1: Cool and then and then I saw a lot of your Instagram lately is dedicated to Angela Timber's dance class, which is cool because I know her from New York.
Speaker 2: Lisa, you know her too, right, We're online friends like we VM and I follow her very religiously. I would say, oh, we met one some person. We met one some person, and like what is it gold Diggers Club? Oh yeah, Old Diggers. Yeah, but no, I don't know her personally, but if I always am like, don't move, move, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm doing all the polls. I'm paying attention. But the dance class seems really fun. It's so fun. It's so fun.
Speaker 4: I used to do ballet as a kid and it was like very perfectionist and you know, I'm like still in therapy about it and uh I but I and I like love doing it, but I couldn't, like I I have had to like walk out of dance classes and so like hers is this very like body positive like anti perfectionists, like alt comedy. Everything's like kind of angry and like the it's like mostly about the outfits, which is, you know, half the reason to do dance. And yeah, I started taking with her like a year and a half ago. I think and and yeah, and then she I did last year's recital, and I just love like inviting people to my adult ballet recital.
Speaker 2: It's like so fun, It is so fun. Is there another recital in the horizon.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, we have the It's I don't know, like you know when this will air, but it's on April tenth and eleventh. And we got we just got a second performance because we sold out seven hundred seats in under two hours.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And there were like four hundred people in the wait list. And so we have a second night, which is like that Friday the eleventh.
Speaker 2: Wait, guess what.
Speaker 1: This comes out on April eighth, so we will make sure everybody get your little butts over to see this ballet.
Speaker 2: Where is it, Grammarcy, where is it? It's at LaGuardia Performing Our Center in like Long Island City. So I was just like what venue. I was like, yeah, Long Island City, Yeah, awesome. What else do you have coming up? That's kind of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, dedicating my life to the dance, the dance, the dance, Yes, the art of l a.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask too, because you were in another Dick Wolf joint after you did this you were in an episode of FBI, So how did that come?
Speaker 2: That was an offer? No, No, you had to audition again. I had to audition again, and I was shocked the episode. I'm so surprised. Yeah I was.
Speaker 4: I was a little shocked because I did did cast me from tape. They didn't make me like comment or anything, which was nice. Yeah, I played like, you know, a seventeen year old, which was like interesting, you know, I was not seventeen. I am not seventeen, and so uh, I was like surprised to get the audition.
Speaker 2: Then I was like whatever, and.
Speaker 4: It was I had a lot less screen time. It was actually like ever the they were like looking for me the whole time, but it wasn't like cutting to where I was necessarily, So it was actually a really cushy job because I was like still the guest star.
Speaker 2: But I was most like I had to go and like take still photos.
Speaker 4: It was like a we Actually I had like days of photo shoots because I don't know if he'll saw the show.
Speaker 2: No I haven't, but like.
Speaker 4: There's this amazing so I have this like sick s I k H boyfriend, does any spell it seek sick and Seek? Yes, yes, so he his parents are like she's this is like a bad girl who's unsuitable, and oh my gosh, I'm also spoiling the episode, so sorry, but so.
Speaker 2: Essentially like he you know, ruins his life for me, and.
Speaker 4: I am kidnapped by these like drug dealers that owe him money or he that he owes money too, and they like go in his room and they're trying to like figure out why he murdered the sky because they have like footage of him murdering people in a convenience store and there's just like photos of me flustered all over his walls. There's like fifty photos of me.
Speaker 2: It's like it's very flattering. But so I had to like do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to take a lot of photos for that. And then some of them, of course, were like with him. So all I am is like photos that they're looking for until the end where they find me and I have this big scene. So like it's kind of the opposite of SVU, where at first, like in SVU, they like think I'm the perpetrator and then I'm the victim. In FBI, they thought I was the victim and they're looking for me, and then I end up like holding this gas station full of people hostage, and I like a gun, and because they're going to take my boyfriend to jail, I'm like, fuck that.
Speaker 2: You gotta like your ride or die. Yeah, we were both ride or Die. We were like, we're in love.
Speaker 4: And I will manipulate the FBI to like letting him free if I and I'll like let these people go damn And yeah, do you want me to like spoil it or no?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, so I get snipered. Oh yeah, they have to kill me? Yeah where does where does the gun shot go into my head through a window?
Speaker 4: They're like sitting on a rooftop and I have got the shot. They did. They got the shot and they took it. And yeah, Like my mother in law watched it like on Chris. She was like I didn't know you were in an episode or something, and we like watched it on Christmas the following year, and she like was like bawling and was like I could never watch that again, like it was I ruined Christmas.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: It is sad, like it was a sad episode. Yeah, but it was a very cool part because I got to like, you know, have a gun.
Speaker 1: And like be a baddie and you know that's cool, and you're just embedding yourself further in the dick. Well, if universe are gonna where, you're gonna pop up on our Chicagos pretty soon. I bet, I bet you could be an Ada the Meds. You just you just look young. I mean, I'm sure you can play older, but like you do look you have. It's like, great, you have such a youthful look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll be in Ada and no one respects you because you look young. And then you yeah, yeah, we do it. How does it feel having amy with kind of a funky spelling? Does it terrorize your life day to day? It really does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like the I'm like the fourth a May fortune. I'm from New Orleans and so it's like a Cajun name. There were like two a Mays in my class in New Orleans. So it was like I grew up with it being like not a weird name.
Speaker 2: It's French. It means like loved in French.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and so like it wasn't until I left New Orleans that people were like did you make that up? Like why are we having too And it was like too late at that point, I had a manager that was like, let's just call you Amy, and I was like, eh, I can't.
Speaker 2: That's not not my name.
Speaker 4: Like I was like willing to change it to something completely different, but like not Amy. So it's like it's been a struggle because I always like, as soon as I meet someone, I have to like correct them, and it's like, you know, a great way for people to love you right off the bat.
Speaker 2: It's like, wait, so how did people say it in New Orleans A May?
Speaker 4: It's it's yeah, I think the like correct French pronunciation is ma, but like people in the South say a May. And I was like taking my husband on. We went on like the one plantation tour years ago that was like this is like the real story of the plantation. This is like from the slaves perspective, and of course, like uh, I think it was like Laura Plantation and we are, you know, like experiencing this horror and uh. And then we get upstairs and they're like, and this is the portrait of like the meanest plantation owner named a May. And it was like the first time that he had ever heard a May.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, this was amazing. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all, yeah, where much? Where do people get tickets for the recital?
Speaker 4: It's on Angela's website so, but it's also on my Instagram. I have like the link in the bio. Okay, if you want to, I'm will included in the show notes and stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, but yeah, it's like Angela trember dance dot com. I think, thank you so much for talking to us a may thank y'all. This was so fun.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she's so cute. Everybody go to her dance her dance recital it's coming up. Yeah and Timber, Timber, Yeah, how joyful to go watch a bunch of cool women not be self conscious and just dance like ballerinas.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: It's really like sad to think. And I have friends that like love dance. And then one teacher was like, you're too fat and you don't have a future. Get out of here. And it's like, so a kid can't dance if they don't have a future. I just don't get. I know, you don't have a knack for it, don't do It's like, can we normal? Well, ever, it's capitalism, it's patriarchy, but it's like just normalize having a hobby even I mean, even the bracelets. He shuts out the base let's on Etsy, and it's like, how about I just make the bracelets on my own time however I want. Like it's such a it's a very tricksy katya of it all. But I mean, and ballet has like always been that way.
Speaker 1: But like at least other forms of like hip hop and all these other forms of dance are like embracing, like you see.
Speaker 2: Dancers of all. I mean, but it's fine, level if you need to like whatever, if you're like at the American Ballet, whatever, fine, you need to look a certain way. But like to not let children who are paying money to take live and just take lessons and ruin their lives just makes no sense. I was just on my friend's podcast and he was saying, as a little kid, he was in the basement dancing to Spice Girls and lip syncing and like loved the Spice Girls. And his stepdad came downstairs and screamed, don't you ever do that again? And he like, never dance sing or like the Spice Girls again. Oh my god, just like one step down. It's just like one thing. It could the kid was dancing. It's just like it's just yeah, it's sad. It's so sad.
Speaker 1: But I also think what I like about her doing this dance and Angela's whole thing too, is like there's so few opportunities to dance when you get older, Like when you're a kid, there are dances. You're always like dancing with your friends. Like it's like if I don't go to like a dance like a nightclub, like where am I dancing? You know, weddings like those are those are trickling out, you know what I mean? Like so and I love dancing, So now I have like pay to take dance classes, and I just wish there were more places that adults could just go dance.
Speaker 2: People are paying for these classes. I mean, they're paying for her classes.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying, like it reminds me of how like you just don't have the opportunity after childhood to dance, and then fucking assholes are telling you for various reasons don't dance anyway.
Speaker 2: This episode wild, I mean, what a yeah, I should have told you the end in the beginning, you know, yeah, like it really leads on and not to fit but like just but you have to live your life. I just you know, so many unanswered questions. What was the why that time of year? Why bodies of water?
Speaker 1: It almost it feels like not like poetic, but it feels like something from a book or something like it feels like the water was drawing her or something like all these and like what was it?
Speaker 2: Like what hat will we make?
Speaker 1: We probably will never know, like she ended up in an island surrounded by water, like it's just like it's us. So yeah, it's upsetting, but it's like really unbelievable. And I just like remember like being in New York and being like, oh my god, where is this girl? She's like my sister's a teacher. She's a teacher. I was like she's just gone, like where is she? And then people spotting her and stuff like oh my gosh. And I just I had no idea how it ended how.
Speaker 2: This episode heirs dog doing, how's the vibe? Good? Sisters? Happy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has this dog named Betty. She's super cute. They are my sister's like can.
Speaker 2: You believe this?
Speaker 1: I'm like a full dog mom now, Like I just never thought I would see it, Like yeah, they're cute I'm going to see my sister next week in Sarasota.
Speaker 2: Hopefully I'll drag her to drag Drace with me.
Speaker 1: But are you guys going to Sarasota for something specific or it's just I'm taking the kids for spring break and just to see family. It's like spring break and my uncle has a house. Wait, you've been to his house. So we're gonna go stay at my uncle's house with the pool and then go to the beach and stuff. And you know, I haven't been there like except for one day with you, like three years ago, and I didn't get to go to the beach or anything or see like you know, and I want to see some of my fams.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're just going for that.
Speaker 1: But it's exciting spring spring break, baby, And it's so funny to go to spring break in like Sarasota.
Speaker 2: It's like median age is seventy three.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: The beach is school. I thought you were gonna say it's going to be young people.
Speaker 1: No, but c s to Key is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, like White Sand Beach, like I've every time I go to another beach like Hawaii, California, I'm like, this beach is shit compared to this beach that I spent growing up going to c s to Key, Like the sand is like powder, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Wait, what did we say we were going to talk about in the outro? Yes, so you're an SNL girl, So tell us your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I mean, I didn't get to watch the episode yet, but I obviously have seen the clips, Like, well, I mean that guy was supposed to know he's selling merch.
Speaker 2: Now he's selling merch that says take me back to God's country? Is that like what he said? Like when he whispered, like what no? So he walked off and then he posts it on his stories a private jet, which is so every man, you know what I mean? Nothing says country salt of the earth like getting on a private jet right right? And he wrote take me back to God's Country.
Speaker 1: So do you think he really feels that way or do you think he's like virtue signaling to his fucking people. Oh, I hate New York and Saturday Night Live and the liberal agenda and I'm getting out of here.
Speaker 2: I think he's a homophobe and racist, and I think he was around too many black and gay people for his liking. That's what I think. But I was hanging out with someone that used to work there, and he's like, I've been getting no scooed and like I was, I was running into every person that works there. I was like, wayana, and they're like there's nothing, like there was no in like, nothing actually happened. He just didn't really want to be there, and no one really wanted him there either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's just there were so many less obvious ways he could have, like side the stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like he just went like it's so crazy. Well, it's crazy because it's all fait. It's like, why did you even do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he was supposed to do it in twenty twenty and then he got disinvited because he got caught partying during COVID, like and so I it's like, if you hate SNL and they've already disinvited you once, just fucking.
Speaker 2: Do that, you know, be like fuck that place. Yeah, it's just like, I don't know, these guys are just such losers because when you've noticed, no one on the cast seemed to care. Like if you look at the background of the photo, Marcello has both arms in the air, like jumping up and down, like Sarah and Bo like are hugging, like everyone's just kind of theater kid having the time of their lives. Like I don't like, you know, no one cared about him, so it's like he's acting like I'm gonna leave, but it's like no one even wants to here. No one cares.
Speaker 1: So it's like the good nights are during during the credits, if you dv are it, they pretty much get cut off, like you just have to stand there for three minutes, and you're such a narcissist that you're like, get me out of here, Like I can't acknowledge of these people for three weeks for three minutes.
Speaker 2: But also then to just get on a private jet and have poor people be excited. But it's also a person I don't know. He's a racist and homophobe and he sucks. It's like I don't get. I just don't get when Lauren Michaels is committed to terrorizing his crew and staff and cast. Yeah, that's what I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Why are you putting people that are against your casts like freedoms and like right to exist.
Speaker 2: They had done on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like there I'm including all those people. Yeah, he's incendiary. He does things so that we'll talk about it right now and people will continue.
Speaker 2: To watch the show. And you know what I have to say, Oh this, I said this yesterday, So if you listen to me on anyone else's podcast, but whatever, I just like, if you want to be punk rock, Shinead O'Connor was punk rock, Yeah, ruined her fucking career. If you want to say something about the fucking New York City, man, uh, do it during your fucking song, you piece of shit coward. All of them are cowards.
Speaker 1: Like you walked off at the last two seconds cool statement on your private jet, Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You will never be as tough or as brave as anyone. That's like living a life that this administration is against you. Fucking wish. They have to create their own like trials and tribulations and pretend it's something right because they are cow they have nothing. They have nothing. Yeah, like fucking Bowen who had to go to conversion therapy, you know, and like fucking break free and be himself and get to be this famous per living is like, that's a fucking brave person, not you walking off at the end, and if you were gonna say something, I wish she did it like during the song I.
Speaker 1: Don't even fucking know these guys has a guy on what like that looks like sounds like a white guy name. I'm always like, oh, it's some country singer I don't know of, and I don't know one song this guy fucking sings. But it's like, are you dumb? Look what Taylor Swift did with her country career. Look what Casey Musgraves is doing with their gundry career, Like doing it being like going back to old school country where you don't accept anybody.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like a good business move.
Speaker 1: No, it is.
Speaker 2: After he said the N word, his sales went up. When did he say the N word? I don't know, but oh yeah, he was like saying all these slurs and his sales went up. I think you're underestimating the American public and the hatefulness they have towards black people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think there's like a way that you can be in between like saying the N word and like, oh he just got arrested for like throwing a chair at people.
Speaker 2: He's not cluel, No, he seems like a fucking psycho, you know what I mean. Like, I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 1: I don't, but you're right, Like Lauren Michael's like, I it does seem you're so counterculture, You're so like, Yeah, why don't you stand behind the people that you fucking hire, that put in the hours and make your show and subject them.
Speaker 2: To these people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even the people that watched for Morgan didn't watch the show.
Speaker 2: All the comments are like, yeah, Morgan, fuck this show, fuck these live you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's not coming over to SML now. Yeah, it's like a actually the weekend updates pretty funny, Like no.
Speaker 2: But that's always that. That's like, oh way, it's like it's I mean, I think he's probably a right wing maniac lorn, but the I mean, how why else would you have these people on. He's a rich billionaire who's been rating an emperor of his little you know, building for decades, so I can't imagine him being normal and like have any human like feelings sorts whatever. But it because I was about to say, I hate like left or Democrat vibes of like, but we got.
Speaker 3: To bring them in, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing that's why we hate the Barbie movie. We need a movie for men too, And it's like do we know we I've talked about it already on this podcast, but this like Malcolm Gladwell episode about satire, that's like how satire has no teeth anymore because they just fucking they bring in the racist. They bring in Sarah Palin after they make fun of her, like they're not really saying anything. You're not saying anything. If you have these people on your show, oh, I know we'll get you should do the one what was mister Peg too? Because I actually just got a text from Corey Booker, so oh excuse me, I got one yesterday. He called me right after he got off stage. But I mean postmortem of this episode. Basically, I don't know what we've learned, but like, go find your daughter. If she's missing in New York City for a like months in two three years, you need to put up more posters, sir, you really need to find her, or because it's not that big of an island, Manhattan.
Speaker 2: But let's move on to what would sister Peg do?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we direct you towards an organization an article, a book, a documentary, something to give you more information about what we talked about today. And I was obviously moved by Grace Walker slash Sophie simmons journey of living on the street and how she basically lived in terror for three years of being attacked and having to team up with a guy who was abusive to her just so he would protect her. And obviously we care for the unhoused on this podcast, so we want to point you to the National Alliance to End Homelessness. Their approach centers on evidence based solutions that provide housing, healthcare, and professional support services grounded in respect and dignity for all. They do a lot of policy work, They do a lot of a lot of great work. So for more information go to end Homelessness dot org if you want to donate or find out more, and then of course you can always volunteer locally in your city or state and that will be posted in a story on our Instagram which is Thats Messed Up Pod and we'll be saved forever on our Instagram highlight of WWSPD. So you can always go back and see what other organizations and resources we have recommended.
Speaker 2: Amazing and next week we will be doing the episode brief Interlude, Season fourteen, episode twenty three. Thanks for always being the best. You guys are the coolest listeners. We're so lucky, such good girls, and still we are on the road most dark world. Well yeah, because even when I'm on the road alone, every time I do a weekend people are like, you have the best audience. We got that all the time when we toured the pod. Everyone that leaves being like, your audience is the best. Every opener I've had is like, holy shit, I had so much fun with your crowd, like, you guys truly are the best. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one's starting fights, no one's yelling shit. I wouldn't say they're not yelling shit. Well they are drunk. They're yelling sarcastic lies. All right, we'll see you guys next week. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts, follow.
Speaker 2: The podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Coottner, And.
Speaker 2: To Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarrett, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dun dun
Speaker 2: H