Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour, and I mean the final hour this year for the program. We're off next week and it's a meat Friday. We have the folks from Treger. We have Chad and Julie who are here and they have created another masterpiece here the UH. I have a monitor here, I have a camera that is fixed on the grilling area, so it's called Grillcam. There's Chad, there's Julie, and there's all the Tregger grills. We got a bonfire out there. And this is the menu today. Duck klown feet and I'm not quite sure what that is other than that's just duck.
Speaker 3: There's the feet of a duck.
Speaker 2: No, it's ko n f t con feet. Does anybody know what duck con feet is? March, thank you, Thank you, Marvin. Beef tenderloin, duck fat, potatoes, sausage and apple stuffed acorn, squash, cauliflower grotten. We have maple, balsamic, brussels sprouts, sausage balls, gingerbread, bunt kick and some drink called glue wine g l u h w E I N. I'm guessing that's a German wine that usually around the holidays. Yes, Paul, glue vine with an umlat in the middle.
Speaker 4: DA.
Speaker 5: It's glow wine because of the feel you get after drinking Oh the warm wine you've had it at your house, like a glug.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, glug in that miliu. Okay, yes, Toun.
Speaker 6: That's going to be quite a mountain of food. I'm going to try to put all on one plate. That's like eleven different things.
Speaker 2: Okay, something embarrassing just happened. I realized that I did not send the Danetes the invitation to my party. Some of the Danets. Todd got an invitation, and I didn't realize that the other Danets because Seaton goes what times the party start, and I go, you didn't get an invitation? Goes no, and then PAULI goes, I didn't get one. Marvin said he didn't get one. Todd goes, I got one. So I apologize for that. I you know, you can shoot the messenger here. I'm gonna blame this. This is e wife, not me. Yeah, I said it, yees see.
Speaker 7: To be fair, Todd probably texts your wife multiple times about the status of the invitation.
Speaker 2: That is tice to make sure nothing's got a passive.
Speaker 8: Aggressive MVD vote. That was your way of deciding who the winner was.
Speaker 2: No, now hard, Now you can vote. I'm not picking the most Valuable dan at the audiences. You can go to Danpatrick dot com. We will crown the most Valuable dan At probably in about forty minutes from now. But it's a special day. It's the last day of the year for us. Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 5: In this situation, though, it's like a quarterback who just lost the game. Should you share the blame? You pointed at your wife. It's like pointing at your wide receivers. Will that come back to bite you?
Speaker 2: It could? It could. This is where I throw basically my offensive line under the bus there. Yes, Tom, when you handed.
Speaker 6: Them the invitations, I heard you whisper you guys don't really want to go, right, So I don't know what kind of take that really was because I have to let you know about it because someone's gonna get it's gonna get back.
Speaker 2: Slow, slow it down. Okay, I need you to last this final hour here. Okay, guys probably.
Speaker 8: Won't want to go, but here you go. It's two o'clock to month.
Speaker 2: The most Valuable dan Net gets a set of fresh tires from tire rack dot com. You have to take him home, you have to carry him, Todd.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's the elbow issues from whippleball though.
Speaker 2: That's my shoulder, my lower back.
Speaker 8: Put some weight on.
Speaker 2: I got some problem our thanks to tire rack dot com, they have provided if there are, they've been a great sponsor of ours and they wanted to freshen this up. Nobody cared about winning the most Valuable danet because nothing came with that, and all of a sudden you get new tires and everybody was competing. Also the backroom guys as well. There's this set of tires for the most valuable backroom guy. You can't vote on that. That will be voted by a secret committee. Yeh see, that's funny. I think that the MVD started.
Speaker 7: To lose it its shine a little bit because any year that you didn't win, it's like, ah, it's just nice that those guys got a chance, because everybody knows it's me.
Speaker 2: Yeh is that what ith? That's pretty much what it's like. Oh no, it's good.
Speaker 7: I'm glad that I'm glad that Fritzie picked one of it. I mean, it's obviously me, but I'm glad that he got a shot.
Speaker 2: Well, Fritzi. Fritzy wins Most Valuable Least Valuable, Danet. I think every year, or close to every year.
Speaker 7: People are upset that there's no LVD either.
Speaker 2: I know, but if it was going to be Fritzi, well he would have three peted I know, but I don't think he wants.
Speaker 3: To three pack. You let him sing. He's not fun to either.
Speaker 2: Funny. I don't know if that has anything to do with each other.
Speaker 3: Just book the guesting to try to be funny.
Speaker 2: Somebody said that Fritzie singing is like Ben Simmons shooting in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Guess the holiday season. So whooped to do?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: The Age seven to seven to three d P show email ADDRESSDP at dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show. Al Michaels with the call last night and we'll talk to Alm. Also the most must win game of the weekend. Some phone calls as well, that's a big win for the Chargers. It's a game the Chargers don't win. And look, the Broncos are formidable, got a good defense, bow Knicks can play, and Sean Payton talk about pressure after what happened last year, and it just felt like the talons were out there to try to get Sean Payton, like, Okay, yeah, you're gonna rip the coach that you that you followed, and you're gonna rip Russell Wilson, get rid of him, and let's see what you got. Well, he got his quarterback. Bo Nix has played really well. And if you're going to rank these quarterbacks, Jayden Daniels, bow Knicks, Drake, Meg Williams, and imagine if we started the season and I would have said Caleb Williams will be the fourth best rookie quarterback, you would have said in what universe? And it's fair. Caleb is still learning. Kurt Warner joined his last hour and he said, look, he's got to fix some things, but also you got to fix the scheme for him, the game plan for him. This is where Sean Payton is brilliant. Now, Sean, all those years working with quarterbacks Drew Brees, you put him in a position to succeed. The last thing I want is my quarterback to have to improvise, to create more than we're creating for him. Caleb Williams did that at USC, you can't do that in the NFL. Drake May, Drake May had limitations in college. Scout said that analysts said that he seems to know who he is weekend and week out. Jayden Daniels, we saw him to start this season. You got banged up, but still he's gonna be your Rookie of the Year. But Bo Nix, I think playing for two different teams in you know, two big conferences, and you get you know, over fifty starts, sixty starts, you're ready to go when you get into the NFL from the standpoint of you've played a lot and you're probably twenty three, twenty four years of age. All right, See, are we changing anything up pole question wise? For the final hour of the program.
Speaker 7: Let me see what we got up there right now. Well, we do have who sang better today?
Speaker 2: Okay, we had Marvin who sang a Stevie Wonder song, and then Todd sang a Lewis Capaldi, Yes, someone you loved. So I think there's a difference in better singer, better performance. It felt like Marvin wasn't sure of himself but might have been a better singer. Fritzy, he's the whole package.
Speaker 3: Confidence I'm too sure of myself is substract.
Speaker 2: The problem is he's got his hands on his package. That's he's the whole package.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 2: When he sings with his hands down, his pants went too much of Todd's package. Yes, that's how it hit the higher. I still don't know why you had your hands in your pocket because I was nervous.
Speaker 6: I was like, I didn't know what to do with my hands. There was no like mike to hold because it was on the stand.
Speaker 2: But the entire ten minutes, when you sang two songs with Darius Rucker, your hands are in your pocket.
Speaker 6: I was brave enough to sing two songs, yet I was so nervous I couldn't get my hands out of my pockets.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think I can use the word brave. That the crowd was brave.
Speaker 8: That's they were a lot more brave. You have to sit through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, a spot, but on the side the sky, I still know you, alright.
Speaker 3: They did clap along, which is nice.
Speaker 2: Remember I felt they thought you were done. They thought you were done.
Speaker 3: There was some charity events.
Speaker 8: I don't know what's wrong with this kid.
Speaker 2: I think they thought you were a make a wish. Yeah, it's like, look at Darius Runker. He's bringing that guy up there.
Speaker 1: To my year.
Speaker 3: It sounded very good. Fight it back. I'm like, yeah, it's a little pitchy, a little off.
Speaker 2: A little uh. Fritzy gets a pie of the face coming up. So this is going to coincide with most Valuable Danette and Fritzy has to pay off the bed of the Broncos losing last night to the Chargers. Maybe maybe you become the most Valuable Danette and the reward is four new tires and a pie to the face.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't get the pirate to the face because that's one of the rewards of getting mvds.
Speaker 8: You get to not get the.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, it doesn't it. How about we go around the room the most must win game of the weekend. Okay, I'm taking Notre Dame off the board. I think Notre Dame that they have to win that game. Perception State of Indiana, Notre Dame versus in I mean Notre Dame. That's that's the game. You gotta you gotta win that. Now you can put Ohio State in there, because you know what they just did or happened to them at that place with Michigan, and now you've got a really good Tennessee team in town. So todd the most must win game of the weekend the.
Speaker 6: Seven and seven Atlanta Falcons bench Kirk Cousins for Pennix. They'd better win at home versus the two and twelve Giants.
Speaker 2: I like that. That's a good choice. Seat O'Connor. Most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, most must win dan Bundesliga Dortmund Barusha Dortmann absolutely must win this weekend against Wolfsburg. They're currently uh for eleven points off the top. They're in eighth or four points behind a Champions League entry. I know you're following this one closely. They're having a real results crisis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you steal my most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 10: Took that chance.
Speaker 2: I was gonna do like PAULI does whatever you guys do you know, everybody, Marvin most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 10: I'm going to go with penn State playing SMU.
Speaker 2: Did you see Paulie go? Oh that was fine?
Speaker 10: I did, forgive me, Paulie, But penn State, I guess SMU, they gotta win this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Paul, since Marvin took yours, you.
Speaker 5: Know I'm gonna go with it as well. I think Penn State and James Franklin. James Franklin has a reputation in college football.
Speaker 2: In big games. This is not a good record, not.
Speaker 5: A great one. And SMU on paper beatable big one.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go Texas against Clemson. Texas twelve point favorites against Clemson. And you know Dabbo Sweeney he may did you see did Dabbo get somebody in the transfer portal recently?
Speaker 10: Not our Dabo?
Speaker 2: I think so? Didn't he get like a receiver from a am? I making this up? I do have strange dreams at night, and I do think of and I dream of Dabo Sweeney occasionally? Did Dabbo get a receiver in the transfer portal? He got a defensive end? Oh, okay, Alex Helt of Purdue. But he did get somebody in the transfer portal. Yes, he's in on it now.
Speaker 5: Okay, he held off as long as he could.
Speaker 2: Is he gonna have nil at Clemson?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, Todd, I'm seeing something about a commitment from a transfer portal wide receiver named Tristan.
Speaker 2: Smith there you go, all right, and that's his decision.
Speaker 8: Monday in a social media post to join the Tiger.
Speaker 2: I'm not as stupid as you say I am toime my thanks to JJ Watt earlier, Rhys Davis, Kurt Warner, L Michaels will join us as well, and it's Indiana Notre Dame. Notre Dame favored by six and a half. Weather could be an issue. They have snow in South Bend. I don't know how much Pauli's been checking in with the weather channel.
Speaker 5: It's thirty degrees in South Bend and like breezy snow, it doesn't seem like an accumulation and it's supposed to be twenty five at kickoff.
Speaker 2: Okay, favors Notre Dame. I don't know who it favors. All I know is Indiana scored a lot of points this year, didn't play a challenging schedule, and I think I think Vegas looks at Notre Dame as one of the three teams that can win the national championship. There the Lions running back David Montgomery could be back for the playoffs, maybe holding off surgery so he can play in the playoffs and then Aiden Hutchinson. Do we have Aiden Hutchinson talking to Taylor Latner?
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 2: I think Taylor Lautner has a podcast and this is the what was that Twilight? Taylor Latner? Yeah, Twilight? Do we have Taylor Lautner and Aiden Hutchinson? Marvin?
Speaker 10: This is from Taylor Lautner's podcast.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm on track for my goal of returning for the Super Bowl, and so I keep telling all the boys when I see him in the in the facility, I'm like, you, I just got to get there, and I promise you I'm going to be back, you know, And I tell people that. My mom was like, but ETON like like what if you don't get back? Like, like, what if you can't? I was like, there's no other way.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 2: So Taylor Latner can get Aiden Hutchinson, but you can't, Todd.
Speaker 3: Who else would you tell that to me?
Speaker 2: Taylor las I got a secret, and the only person I want to talk to is Taylor Latner.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 2: Paul TJ.
Speaker 5: Watt was on Misha Barton's part. Okay, the same thing. I didn't know if you guys knew.
Speaker 2: That, Uh, Tommy and Eugene, Hi, Tommy what's on your mind? Good morning, Polly, oh, and good morning to the field.
Speaker 3: I liked it.
Speaker 2: First of all, I'd like to get out congratulate Paully in advance for the most valuable dan Atte victory.
Speaker 9: If he doesn't win, it's rigged.
Speaker 8: It's rigged.
Speaker 3: And like you guys know that.
Speaker 2: I'm using my elon musk size bank roll to primary the rest of you.
Speaker 1: Uh, Polly's in on the ducts.
Speaker 2: Go DUTs, let's go, Paul. All right, thank you, Tommy, thank you. Do you guys want to know first place, second place, third place, fourth place? Most valuable?
Speaker 9: Donnut?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because then doesn't last place become the least valuable? Donn it? Correct? Okay? By default? No tears for paying LVD one way or the other. Yes, you are.
Speaker 3: I want to know the rank of for BD.
Speaker 8: That's why I stay quiet for that.
Speaker 3: That sounds like everybody else does.
Speaker 8: I'm out voted.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you still get a pie to the face no matter what understood. Okay, if you're most valuable, you're still most likely to get a pie to the face.
Speaker 8: You can't put that in like a get out of jail pe card.
Speaker 2: No, no, unless you want to say I'm not eligible for Most Valuable down at next year.
Speaker 8: That takes the fun away.
Speaker 3: I'll just take the pie and then that's.
Speaker 2: That's your It's all about content. Al Michaels Albino will join us coming up next back here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 2: We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls chop it up.
Speaker 11: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe.
Speaker 2: The most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. My thanks to DraftKings all the information they've given us throughout the season. Got the point spreads coming up this weekend. You got Texas giving twelve to Clemson, Indiana getting six and a half against Notre Dame, you got Tennessee getting seven and a half against the Ohio State, and you got SMU getting nine against Penn State. By the way, two top AFC teams collide on NBC their holiday special, The Texans take on Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs Saturday noon Eastern on NBC and Peacock Al Michaels was on the call last night with Kirk kurb Street Bronco's Chargers Prime Video. How are you feeling?
Speaker 9: I feel great? Kirk just sent me a video he is in South Bend for game day that he's doing the Ohio State game snowing like crazy. So I am going surfing today. It's eighty degrees out here, or will be. He is going snowboarding.
Speaker 2: Do you bet? Do you bet on college games?
Speaker 9: I don't, you know, Dan, I don't bet. People laugh because you know I'm the points spread, you know, announcing king and have been for years, and I was doing it when you aren't supposed to be doing it. But I know that the more you know, the less you know. And I know a lot about the National Football League, probably no more than ninety nine percent of the people. But if I had to bet on football, I would not be living where I'm living right now. I'd be under a freeway overpast. You can't win, you cannot win. It's fun, it's fun to play, and I would hope that people only play with money that's disposable. But you know, you can get into a lot of trouble with it.
Speaker 2: So I know what.
Speaker 9: I don't know which is the most important.
Speaker 2: Thing, but going into it, you know, like Brent Musburger gave us, you are looking live and that was his way of saying to gamblers back in the seventies. Whether may or may not play a role here, but you're trying to covertly throw it in there where you probably have bosses who say or the commissioner who says, hey, don't be overt in making this about a point spread.
Speaker 9: Well they did years ago, but now everybody's in bed with DraftKings and fan Duel and all of the other entities at MGM. So I had a lot of fun, you know, being the rascal. But and don't forget I did the Super Bowl back in ninety four, San Francisco against San Diego was an eighteen point spread, and they asked me the one time. My boss, Nis Swanson, at that point said, you know, the league is very sensitive to this. So I stayed away from it until the end when the forty nine ers were leading by twenty three. And the last play of the game is ay Stan Humphrey's passionate the end zone, which would have covered. So I couldn't hold it back at that particular time. But you know, I had a lot of fun, and you know the you know, for years I would say, you know, when the score was forty one, nothing, I said, it's not quite over. So it was. It was it was. It was fun to do it at that point, but now it's it's just overt.
Speaker 2: What's it like to talk to Harball, Jim Harball in those production meetings?
Speaker 9: Fun? Uh, and I've don't look. I've known Jim really well for thirty years and knew him as a as a quarterback of the National Football League. New him and he was in San Francisco. He's interesting, he's got a good turn of phrase. He's a lot of fun. His brother is one of my favorites of all time, John John is great in those meetings. There are so many coaches who are so good now like Mike Tomlin. Mike Tomlin is as good as anybody I've ever known in all of these years covering the NFL, not for thirty nine years. What Mike will do is he will answer your questions before you ask the question, which is so good you know, he'll get out and go okay, here's the rundown, and he will go to all the places that you want to go without you having to waste time asking him the questions. He's phenomenal. Sean McVay is phenomenal. Most of these guys are are terrific and Harboy certainly fits into that category, both both Harboys.
Speaker 2: All Right, if I said Sean McVay or Mike Tomlin as an analyst, take.
Speaker 9: Your pick man, either one they be. Each of those guys will be at some point if they want to do it, tremendous, tremendous because not only are they, you know, football savvy obviously, I mean that's that's a given, but they know how to put words together. Tomlin, through the years, you know, there were no cliches. And I said, even last night, at one point, you know, everybody would say running back by committee. It became such a banal kind of phrase. But Mike, you know, says distribution of labor. It's just got a different way of saying things. And I always felt that if I had a debate team, Mike Common would be my captain.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what advice do you give those who want to be an analyst?
Speaker 9: I would say, understand you read the room where you don't go too deep into the weeds, make the complicated more simple. You're not doing this game for people who know what a three technique tackle is, because one percent of the population would understand what that means. Explain what that means. But do it coachingly, have a little bit of a sense of humor. Don't overtalk. I mean, nobody ever got into trouble for shutting up. It's as simple as that. It's so that would be my advice. I've talked to a few people through the years about this, but the important thing is just kind of you know, don't you know, take your time. The replace is not going to go anywhere, So don't jump in, don't go wall to all and inject some humor. And the guys we're talking about, Tom Lennon McVay, will East be fantastic when they decided to do it.
Speaker 2: He's Al Michael's the Hall of Famer. On the call last night with Herbie. With the Broncos and the Chargers, that was a game that I thought the Chargers would normally lose because I thought the Broncos had him, and then all of a sudden, you have that kick, that free kick at the end of the first town. Were you up on the rule when it happened.
Speaker 9: It's funny because I I had a game with the Cowboys a number of years ago, and they have tried that through the years a couple of times. In fact, Harbaugh tried like a seventy one yarder when he was with the forty nine ers. So I hadn't thought about that rule in a long time. But once it happened and I saw that everybody was talking to each other on the field and the officials were getting together, I said, yeah, I remember this now, and then you know it's a good thing. Terry McCauley, obviously, is is our guy. I went to Terry and then he could explain it. But you don't look. It has to happen since nineteen seventy six. And I don't know if you were watching last night, but Dan Fouts actually called our truck and talked to Steve Hurt, our information guru, and said, in nineteen seventy six, when Ray Wershing made that kick for San Diego, Founts had to tell the coach, Tommy prothrow that that was the rule. And so that's what happened forty eight years ago.
Speaker 2: You have a photographic memory, yes, but it's it's kind of crazy. When we were at the Olympics and I remember talking to you about Baltimore and Pittsburgh in the World Series, and you were giving me the day and the weather. Where does that come from.
Speaker 9: Well, the Baltimore Pittsburgh World Series was nineteen seventy nine. The weather was The weather was easy to remember because Howard Cosell came on the air in I think Game three in Pittsburgh when after two games in Baldemore with snow flurries, and Howard's opening line was welcome to the Winter Olympics. So that was an easy one to remember. I don't know, I'm somehow able to in my mind kind of go back and put my brain and my body in the in a physical presence at that point. You know, it's funny like a lot of people, you know that at this particular point in life where I probably have a better memory of stuff that happened in the seventies and eighties and nineties, and and you know what I had for breakfast yesterday? Weird?
Speaker 2: But are you like Joe Paterno? You know some of these coaches that coach until they die, Like, do you want to broadcast until you die? I mean, not to be morbid, but this is what you know. I remember this being told to like Belichick is going to coach probably till he dies.
Speaker 9: No, that's not important to me. What's important to me, is enjoying it. I think anybody in any line of work who's passed the regular what we considered to be a retirement age, I think, if you have a passion for what you do, keep going. And I do, and you know, my health is good enough right now. And I really I love what I do. I love it. I love going to the games. I love broadcasting the games. I work with some phenomenal people. I can't believe it's been three years now on Prime Video, and they put together a fantastic group and I love being with him and we have fun. Like we gathered last night after the game. You know, it's like nine o'clock, so, you know, West Coast game and we're all together having them, just having a blast afterwards. So Dan, as long as I have the passion for it, I'll continue. But I'm not sitting here going moh, I've got to do this so I die or I got it's just some kind of a broadcasting record.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, because like Hubie Brown, I mean, Hube's in his nineties right, and I think he's just retiring.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, Ulie was a partner of mine. I did the NBA for two years So the first year, three oh four season, I did it with Doc Rivers, and then Doc went back to coaching in Boston and I got Uie the next year. He was He was a lot of fun, a lot of fun, and God blessed that man. I mean, he's just he was a wonderful partner. And I guess he's going to retire this year, but God, I could listen to him forever.
Speaker 2: What's it like calling a game in you know, when when weather plays such a role that it might impede your ability to call a game.
Speaker 9: Well, it's funny because we did. Look, we did Pittsburgh Cleveland when it started as snow in the second half, so I really can't see what's going on, but we can enhance it the television picture. I mean, I've got to call the game off the TV picture. He's looking at it live. You can't see any of the yard lines, but we can superimpose or whatever the phrase would be, the yard line. So that's how you call that game. But people love that and as snow game, that's one of the games, one of the few games that through the years. The rating actually I think went a little bit up in the second half because normally, you know, in the East Coast, a lot of people are going to bed at halftime, it's ten thirty whatever. It is good at that particular moment in time. But that particular game, I think people would tune in and go, wow, this is pretty terrific, and they watched all the way through it. It's a great game that went all the way to the end.
Speaker 2: Can the NFL give us too much?
Speaker 9: NFL? I would have thought so, but here we go. I mean it's you know, I'm not certain that Tuesday morning football at three am wouldn't work. I mean, people just can't seem to get enough of it. When you look at what one hundred shows that are rated by Nielsen West year in ninety three or ninety four of the National Football League, I don't know what's enough. If he goes down to the eighty seven of one hundred, maybe you know you're slipping a little bit. But Dan, you know as well as I do. I mean, Netflix two games Christmas Day. There's always a game, it seems a game on television, and people they love it. I understand it because it is the most dramatic thing on television unscripted, fantastic and the National Football League, you know, is just full of drama. You don't know what's going to happen, and that's I think why we love it so much we do now. I don't know. I don't know when you reach the breaking point, but you would think by now we've gotten there, and we haven't.
Speaker 2: If the NBA reached out, if Commissioner Silver reached out and said, wow, what do you think of our product and what would you do moving forward?
Speaker 9: I think he understands what's going on right now. I think everybody's talking about you know, it's a three point game, a three point shooting game and all that stuff. I don't know what the answer is, but every sport has this issue too. Baseball has its issues, obviously, the NBA has its issues right now. Hockey kind of tweaks things. The NFL has been able to tweak a few things. I don't have the answer. I mean, that's why you know, Goodell and Silver and Betman and Manfred get the you know, the money they get or you know, that's that's their job. Their job is to figure this thing out. But on balance, you know, people still love it. So I know the NBA ratings have leaked a little bit. I think part of it has to has to do probably with the fact that you know, maybe they want people want to see more basketball the way it was played. I'm not sure they do, though, I don't know, Dan, I don't know if they if I had the answer of it, let you know. But I mean to me, you don't need any tremendous new iteration of it or involvement of something. A tweak here and there is, but I'm not quite sure what it is.
Speaker 2: Can you see load management coming to the NFL?
Speaker 9: No, because I think, you know, I think I think that would be a very bad thing. Guys are hurt it. I mean, look, there are enough injuries. Guys are playing through injuries to begin with. No, I think, you know, somebody wants to go to a game. They want to see the team that they are buying tickets to s and not some sort of you know, uh, small small sample, small part of what it is that their team is supposed to be providing. I don't see it even if you go to a team games. I think, look, I think there's load management within the games these days too. A coach, you know, if a running back needs to have a little bit more time to get fully healed. Maybe he won't carry twenty times, maybe he will carry seven or eight. So there's load management right now. I think within the game.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you as always, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 9: I wish you I'd sing all lang zign to you, but I forgot the words can polgraphic memory, but I forgot the words of all length time?
Speaker 2: Can you sing?
Speaker 9: Can I sing? Hell?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 9: Okay, Dano dogs will be streaming in the in the distance. If I say, nice to see my picture up behind your right shoulder. There it is. Yeah, that's a movable feast up there, isn't it? Yes, yes it is. It's enterprise spot now. I love it right tomorrow, but I an eagle could be up there, you know next week. It's great man, Thank you Ala. It's Albino Hall of Famer. He was on the call with Hervey last night. Broncos Chargers. All right, thanks coming most valuable. Then it will be announced. I'm gonna check with Mario. He is the one tabulating all the votes. There's also the most valuable back room guy. There's also a Meet Friday spread out there courtesy of Trigger and Fritzi takes a pie to the face All of that in the next ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: A great way to wrap up this year. This is our final show of the year, by thanks to all of our great sponsors, certainly Trager with Chad from Treger and Julie. They came in just for this and they created another masterpiece.
Speaker 9: So bye.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that partnership with the great folks at Treger. During the live look in as we were eating, I mentioned that Marvin and Seaton were not Most Valuable Danet. I think a lot of people were surprised that Marvin was not amongst the final two. The most Valuable Danette for twenty twenty four and we'll receive tires from tire rack dot com, the official tire expert of The Dan Patrick Show. He garnered thirty six percent of the vote your.
Speaker 5: Most Valuable dan It guess by the way, the whistle this year is a little underrated as a show element.
Speaker 2: Seatan's whistle. Yeah, I really enjoy it personally. Back to you, okay, so if I say and he garnered thirty six percent of the votes, sod fritz is the most valuable nut the least valuable Danet. He garnered just eighteen percent of the vote, so it went Fritzie with thirty six percent. This guy got half the votes. Say hello to Paul pa well deserved.
Speaker 5: Fam, I'm on the podium getting something deserved. Do I get like a tire tire?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can maybe a lug nut.
Speaker 7: The suggestion has been made that the lvd's uh car get put up on blocks tires.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was weeks. How do you think I'm giving these tires away to Fritzy?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah uber home Uh okay, so uh Fritzy had thirty six percent seat and had twenty four Marvin had twenty three percent, then Paully at eighteen percent. We also have a pie bet to pay off. Should we do that now for the audience or do we do it in the plus block? Do we want to do that after the show?
Speaker 8: I'm thinking plus block.
Speaker 6: That's that's kind of the way we've been doing it, and then I don't have to be covered and all that stuff while we're wrapping up the lift seg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the people on radio don't get to experience what that sounds like in the pinst smashes es.
Speaker 8: Whatever you guys want to do, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna how about we do a plus block all right? Fire, Okay, we'll do that plus block pie. Now it's time for the most Valuable back Room Guy MVBRG.
Speaker 7: This is the one I've been waiting for all year. Okay, this is the best one.
Speaker 2: Now, there was a it's like a committee like the college football playoff committee. You don't know who's on it, you don't know what they talk about there, but everybody in the back room eligible for a set of tires from Tire Rack.
Speaker 7: And you know, you have to know about the backroom guys as they're incredibly competitive, especially with each other.
Speaker 2: So there's there's Ray, who is the producer for the gambling podcast. Dylan of course is on the gambling podcast. He does graphics. There's the big german who heads up the whole enchilada here and he directs the show. You have, uh, let's see Rob Diehard Knicks fan and Jets fan. So he normally isn't used to winning anything. He does a lot of the videos and he does the newsletter. You got Mario involved with the newsletter and Tyler Tyler who is supposed to fix the golf simulator every morning, but none, And he does answer calls, and he takes care of my dog. And weeks are cameraman. Weeks are cameraman who's going to be a father here soon, gonna be uh pretty soon. So the most valuable backroom guy for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Mario.
Speaker 5: Wow, a socker and he's here on a Friday.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, Yes, So Mario is the most valuable BRG. He does a lot, he does an awful lot. And a guy that I nearly fired twice, actually truly yes. I went to Pauli and I go, oh, there's Mario. Mary's coming out there, Sam darnold of this.
Speaker 7: He's almost lost twice and somehow got another gig.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't even know if Mario knows that I knew fired him twice. I had to go to Paulie. I said, hey, he was your student, He's got potential, but I might have to let him go. And then PAULI goes give him another chance. And then it wasn't long after that I said, hey, he goes, can you give them another chance?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And I said, and then thank god, I did. He's done an unbelievable job. But my thanks to you know, the guys behind the scenes, uh, every single day and they come in a great attitude and they do wonderful work. So thank you for all the great things that you guys do every single day.
Speaker 5: Yes, Pum, I'd like to echo that some of the guys behind the scenes do a fantastic job.
Speaker 2: Some sorryck you wow. Uh, Pritsy, were you and Marvin going to do a duet here?
Speaker 8: I think we were going to do a couple of verses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is our gift to the audience.
Speaker 3: I don't really know this song like that?
Speaker 2: Oh you don't. So Todd picked a song. Todd, you were supposed to pick a song of the guy's Well, he picked that. Don't go aaking my.
Speaker 3: Heart John and Kiki D. Who's Kiki D?
Speaker 2: That doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: That's that's the female voice that I'm going to at Marvin, you're about to be Kiki D.
Speaker 2: No, No, Fritzy is the female. Oh no, yes, yes, I've he for the female Poe. Ye, of course you did. Uh. Well, maybe we'll wait, you know, we'll wait till the New York twenty five Yeah, we'll see it waiting and do this day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 5: Just a couple oh this is said. Nineteen sixty six, the NBA granted a franchise to Seattle, and nineteen ninety four A von Lendall retired after a seventeen year tennis crew.
Speaker 2: It was on this date in two thousand and five Kobe scored sixty two through three quarters, sat out the fourth quarter and the win against the Mavericks. At one point, Kobe had sixty two, the Mavericks had sixty one through three periods. That's crazy, crazy static.
Speaker 6: Day.
Speaker 2: That's stat of the day. Stat of the day. Yeah, comes that? What stat of the day. Also a shout out to our intern Anthony, who helped whenever I went to Maine, did a great job there. A big Mets fan. So he's not eligible for Most Valuable BRG and Most Valuable Intern. He we might, he might. He's top two. We have an intern named nicknamed Dormat, so Doormat had a good year too. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program, Todd before you get a pie coming up here in a couple of minutes, what did you learn?
Speaker 6: Rhees Davis reminds us the mural affectionately referred to as touchdown Jesus in South Bend actually called the.
Speaker 8: Word of life. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Seat O'Connor.
Speaker 7: We have an intern named Dormat Dormant good greed.
Speaker 10: Marvin Mary almost got fired twice.
Speaker 2: Yes he did. It's one of the great comeback stories of all time. It's a Hallmark movie. After School's Special call it, Maria Polly. Would you learn Todd won twice today?
Speaker 9: Todd?
Speaker 2: What did I learn on this How.
Speaker 6: Michaels would select Mike Tomlin as the captain of his debate team.
Speaker 2: That's what we learned. Brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tire rack dot com. Slash Dan tried the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Yokohama tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tirac dot com The way tire buying should be. Thank you, Thank you. We had a wonderful year. We'll talk to you in the new year. Great holiday, everybody,