Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: He's Drew Brees joining us on behalf of a state line he greened the Glass Distillery straight from Wisconsin Farms, promoting the back to back San Francisco World Spirit Competition double gold winner state Line Coffee Liqueur. We say a load to Drew Brees.
Speaker 3: Alight, all right, what's up? Gods?
Speaker 4: How we doing?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: I brought some for you for later.
Speaker 3: All right, there you go. Oh well, I got an autograph here ready to go.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the morning and coffee the corp for the draft to DP.
Speaker 3: Don't get hammered, Drew Brees. All right, fair enough.
Speaker 2: When I say NFL Draft, first thing that comes to mind as what.
Speaker 4: Well probably probably my own draft experience. You know that it's a it's a it's become an even crazier time, I think for these guys, just because there's so much there's so much hype leading into it, with the way that the media encircles it, and also the fact that we've dedicated now the first round to kind of a primetime slot, you know, and so everybody descends on a town like Green Bay, which I love the fact that we have a chance to come and highlight some of the great you know, venues and meccas of football where you play. Draft, you know, I was, it was. It was in New York, so this is two thousand and one. I chose not to go, just wanted to stay in West Lafayette at Purdue, had my wife, my brother, our dog, and we just fried up some fish and watch the draft. But it wasn't. It wasn't because look, there was a lot of speculation. I think for me, I hoped I would go in the first round. I think it was about ten or twelve teams that I thought were strong possibilities, with the Miami Dolphins sitting at pick number twenty six, where basically had gotten a guarantee from my head coach Joe Tiller. He said, Hey, one of my best friends is a scout for the Dolphins. If you're there at twenty six, they're taking you, right. So I kind of had that as like my stop might stopped at Like, hey, I'm no matter what happens, Hey, I got Jacksonville here, I got Kansas City, got this, I got that twenty six comes. You know, I've just walked over to the phone, you know, Dolphins are gonna call, and they didn't call. They drafted Jamar Fletcher Wisconsin, who picked me off about three times in college. I was like, ah, it's probably a good pick, and then obviously fell to the second round and was drafted by the San Diego Chargers, which was the greatest thing that could have happened to me because I had a chance to go play with Doug Flutie Ladani and Thomason Lorenzo O'Neil Junior sal Rodney Harrison, some of the greatest in my opinion ever played the game at their positions, and also get coached by Marty Schottenheimer.
Speaker 2: But Okay, you probably played with the chip on your shoulder Perdue. I'm guessing, Oh yeah, played with a chip on your shoulder.
Speaker 3: In the NFL.
Speaker 4: That's been a lifetime thing.
Speaker 3: Do you still have a chip on your shoulder?
Speaker 4: No? I mean, look, it's I'm more about proving the people who believe in you're right as opposed to proven the others wrong. At the end of the day, I've always felt like playing quarterback position at six feet tall. You know, look, I don't know what it's like to play it at six', five, Right you, know so so to.
Speaker 3: Hear all of.
Speaker 4: THAT i, mean, LOOK i heard that coming out of high. School you, know six, foot one hundred and seventy. Pounds you, know you're not the prototype. Guy you, know we're not going to recruse. You but that's Why Doug flutie was such an inspiration me and such a mentor for. Me you, know he was the starting quarterback WHEN i got to The San Diego, chargers and it Was he's probably one of the biggest influences on my.
Speaker 3: Career and he made you feel. Tall, Look flutie Was mahomes Before mahomes.
Speaker 4: EXACTLY i was the tallest guy in the quarterback room in two thousand and. One it Was Doug flutie at five to. Nine he'll tell you five ten and a. Half he's full of. It it's five to, nine all. Right and Then Dave, dickinson who was A cfl, legend came down played a couple of years in THE nfl and now he's the head coach in THE cfl. Still so those are the two other guys in the. Room double d was five ten and a half and then SO i was six. Foot so we were the six foot in underclub we were not not real, imposing walking out winning any pregame, competition walking around on the. Field but, Man i'll tell you What Fluty flutie could sling.
Speaker 3: It he he he he was ahead of his.
Speaker 2: Time could you imagine him playing now where they would have encouraged him to Be Doug flutie At Boston?
Speaker 4: College he would he he'd be one of the most celebrated quarterbacks. Ever, YEAH i mean he. Was he was throwing back shoulders before everybody was throwing back. Shoulders the guy would back pedal a seven step drop from under. Center when's the last time you saw? That, well they, don't they. Don't theyn't take we don't take snaps under center? Anymore what AM i talking? About but, no he, was he. Was he was well ahead of his time and in my, opinion one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time that will never get it through.
Speaker 3: Credit he.
Speaker 2: Does but do you think we should go back to under center because it does give more deception with and play, action and you, know when you're in the, gun it just seems like we're taking away a little mystery that maybe you could incorporate or.
Speaker 3: Reincorporate you DO.
Speaker 4: I think if. YOU i think if you, talked if you talk to running, backs you know the only. Way first, off being under center gives you really a two way threat in the run, game, right because the back is in what we call the home positions right behind the. Quarterback so we can go, right he can go, left he can go inside and go. Outside the minute you go in, shotgun what does the back, do, well he has to offset one. DIRECTION a lot of times defenses set their, front set their defense based on where the back is, aligned because typically he's going to come across the quarterback in order to take the, handoff and then THE qb will have some sort OF rpo, read, Hey i'm reading the defensive. End if he, Crashes i'm pulling it Or i'm dishing it out. Here so it tells the defense a lot about where the ball is going to be. Run the only way to combat that is to put the back and, pistol which is directly behind. You, well the back has a hard time seeing when he's directly behind the quarterback, right so there's some problems, there and your passing game isn't as good because the back involved in protection has a hard time getting around you to pick up a blitzing. Linebacker that might be his. Responsibility so that's why like being under. Center, yes it stresses the. Defense, yes it really helps with play. Action watch the reaction of linebackers when you go under center and all of a sudden you give some sort of playfake, man they have to react to, it and you open up a lot of kind of the deeper intermediate. Stuff so LIKE i, watch you, know last year The Pittsburgh steelers With Russell. WILSON i think that's one of his great. Strengths go under center and they want to run the, ball run the, ball play great, defense all play, action and then Let russ chuck. It and they were really successful doing. That Sean payton likes doing. That you watch the evolution of The broncos offense throughout the year With Bo. NICKS i Think bo got more and more comfortable going under. Center it helped the run, Game it helped the play, action and therefore helped their.
Speaker 3: Team do you want to be a quarterbacks?
Speaker 4: COACH i MEAN i am. ANYWAY i MEAN I i coach kids throughout the, year mentor kids throughout the. Year No.
Speaker 3: O'll.
Speaker 4: Come, well it's it more so all the all the other THINGS i could. Do look BECAUSE i can still get the same thing. Accomplished uh but without you, know.
Speaker 3: Dedicated dedicated to one.
Speaker 4: TEAM i MEAN I i have the chance to to mentor and coach a lot of.
Speaker 2: Guys we're talking To Drew, brees The hall Of. Famer you, know when you start to look at the draft and then we tend to build you up and then we tear you. Down So Shador, sanders he's gonna be taken a top five, pick and then all of a, sudden then he has a bad interview or holds onto the ball too, long like it's just kind of. Nitpicking you know. That do you understand the whole philosophy of. That we can't just say somebody is really, good it's really, good but because that's not GOOD tv to just, say, man that guy's, great can't.
Speaker 3: Miss all you.
Speaker 4: Need is one guy to love, you or one, team or one coach or one. Scout you, know just in the history of, sports you, know how often have we heard, that you, know with certain guys for whatever, reason all these other teams just didn't see it or didn't believe. It and yet there's that one person on that one. TEAM i want coach on that one team or that one scout who just stands up on the table for the guy and it's, Like i'm telling you he's got, Something we got, It we got to take, him and then the rest is. History and that's that's All Shudur sanders.
Speaker 2: Needs but If shador Wasn't Dion, Sun, like does it help him or does it hurt?
Speaker 3: Him, Well, Look.
Speaker 4: I've never seen more, hype never seen more hype in an off season than than what kind of has encircled Should Or sanders And Travis, hunter you, Know and SO i think obviously a lot of that has come from you know what What prime has brought To colorado and kind of this process through the off season for those. Guys but also it's, look it's it's the way that they kind of build the lead up to the.
Speaker 5: Draft.
Speaker 4: NOW i mean there's more coverage on, this and there's more talk on, this there's more analysis on this than there ever has. Been and, look these, guys these guys are great. Players now it's just a matter of where they.
Speaker 2: Go, well they're looking for a. HEADLINE i, mean we're in the entertainment. Business what can we, sell what's? Controversial Should Or Sanders Travis. Hunter the only controversy is is he going to be a wide? Receiver is he going to be a defensive? Back can he be?
Speaker 3: Both? Well do you think that he can be both in THE nfl at the same.
Speaker 4: TIME i, mean that's that's really that's really, difficult just the sheer number of STAPs, snaps the physicality of the.
Speaker 2: Game but would you want your wide receiver playing defensive? Back, no you want would you want your defensive back playing wide?
Speaker 3: Receiver defensive coaches would say.
Speaker 4: No BUT i, MEAN i think the probably the greater reality is you, know if if obviously having an elite, CORNER i, know just from my, perspective like a lot of the, times the the, uh the thing that you you would find is a weakness in a defense is, hey there's that ONE dB right That I'm i'm trying to Attack and in a lot of, cases, man you could be so sound at the other ten, positions but the minute you've got the one guy that you found to pick on that that can make a huge difference in your success in the. Game so if if he him playing defense helps fill one of those gaps or voids or weaknesses on a defense, man that's where he's going to, play and then you supplement him on offense for specialty type. Stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah but, LOOK i.
Speaker 4: MEAN i was amazed at what the guy did in college playing one hundred and forty fifty sixty snaps a. GAME i mean that's, crazy you, know and as a as a twenty year old, kid it's. Doable as a twenty five twenty eight, YEAH i, mean at some, point you, know, hey he's going to be relegated to one side of the ball with contributions potentially on the other. SIDE i think the most realistic thing, is, man he's A he either comes out and, says, Man i'm just playing receiver or he's gonna PLAY, dB and then he's going to supplement a little bit on.
Speaker 2: Offense, yeah but we're in the Show Heyo tani World, Now so NOW i get a two way. Guy marketing people are going to come out and see. Him he's the guy who can't miss in this, draft the unicorn with, THIS i never understand that there's there's gonna be a couple Of hall Of famers in this. Draft it feels, like but we'll take our chances on. Court so if You're, tennessee would you Take Travis hunter because he can't miss and he gives you that two, way he gives you That otani. Effect or do you take a chance On Cam?
Speaker 4: Moore ask me ten.
Speaker 5: Years from that.
Speaker 2: When you get when you would go in the film, session would you guys, go that's the guy we're picking on On, sunday like?
Speaker 3: Collectively? Okay so absolutely? Yeah and what was his?
Speaker 4: Name you, know it's like we want to Tag Like i'll give an. Example, man we were playing the we were playing The chargers twenty twenty On Monday Night, football and, man we had been struggling throughout the. Game, IRONICALLY i LITERALLY i tore my planner fascia in my foot in. Pregame this is the dumbest thing, ever, Right, so like all of a, SUDDEN i went from being able to move really well to not being able to move at. ALL i was just totally relegated to the. Pocket so Is Monday Night football twenty twenty at our. Place we get down seventeen, points we're kind of chipping our way, back but it's just one of these like we're slugging it out and we're not doing much on, offense and they just had a great defensive plan for, Us, well one of their elite corners went, out like early fourth, quarter and they brought in their backup, guy And i'm, like, dude that's all we. Needed i'm just gonna sit here and throw it at this dude every single, time and sure enough we. Did we end up going on two scoring. Drives we win the game in. Overtime but, literally if that doesn't, happen we probably don't win the. Game but it's just like there's a lot of, these you, know you're you're just kind of in real time what's happened in the, game and all of a sudden they lose a, guy or all of a sudden something happens that just changes a scheme or gives you a matchup that you like and you.
Speaker 2: Exploited you were, WATCHING i think during the commercial, break my guys were playing. Pickaball do you want to break down what you saw With.
Speaker 4: Firs it's possibly the worst example of middle aged athleticism That I've i've ever seen.
Speaker 3: It but you're saying, possibly you're not saying, definitively.
Speaker 4: Well not. Definitively, No i'm sure there's, worse but it was now.
Speaker 5: It was were they?
Speaker 3: Cheating was there.
Speaker 4: Cheating there was a lack of knowledge of the tools on a few.
Speaker 3: Occasions, okay so the.
Speaker 4: Kitchen were you guys informed about the kitchen heard of? It? Okay, okay loosely all, right barbecue in the, kitchen good feet in the, kitchen taking a ball of the, air?
Speaker 3: Bad?
Speaker 2: Right And todd is suffering from planner finant shadows right? Now he played through. THAT i mean just saying you played in AN nfl. Game he played. Pickleball in the middle of the pickleball. Match it stepped really hard on my left. Foot chasing a ball WHILE i was in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: Doesn't necessarily require a ton of. MOBILITY i, mean let's just let's just look at the demographic that plays a lot of pick a, Ball Like i've gotten my butt kicked by plenty of seventy five year olds out there that aren't moving real, good but they got some quick.
Speaker 3: Twitch uh the state. Line how'd you get involved with?
Speaker 4: This so they're A, Madison wisconsin based. Distillery great friends of. Mine they make incredible. Spirits that's one of the absolute. Best. Uh the coffee Liqueur u double gold winner at The San Francisco World Spirits competition two years in a row double gold means blind taste. Tests thirty two out of thirty two judges said that was the best Coffee likur in the. World so it's fantastic. Product, well it's good to see. You last. TIME i think it Was miami when you kind of just walked.
Speaker 3: ON i just.
Speaker 4: POPPED i just popped in a.
Speaker 3: Home it was. Great that was all, Right, no it's always. Great we always had.
Speaker 4: Some awesome barbecue. Backstage we were reminiscent about.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah Trager treger. Barbecue, there where's the? Trade where's Uh? Friday we bring Our Tragger's. Friday, oh, okay Meat. Friday, SORRY i might have to stick around with that or just walk.
Speaker 4: ON i picked the wrong.
Speaker 3: Day do you have any good memories of Blambeau? FIELD i, do.
Speaker 4: Sure we Played we played here in, six the second game of the. Year so this, is you, know the beginning of The Sean payton, era you, know not knowing what kind of a team we were gonna. Have obviously the coming back to you, know after Post katrina, year so magical. Season we ended up going going down thirteen points to these guys in the first. Quarter three, turnovers two of them were. Mine ended up coming back and beating, them you, know in the fourth, quarter and so that was kind of a, HUGE i think moral victory for, us just feeling like, we you, know gaining. Momentum and then the next game was The monday night football, game returned to The dome At lease in block, punt so that was a big win for. Us twenty, eleven we came and played them here and that was The thursday night football game after they had won The Super, bowl and that was a bit of a juggernaut. Contest it was a. SHOOTOUT i Think aaron AND i both threw for four hundred yards and they beat. Us but we had a goal line stand right at the end where we're going to we're gonna jump in and tie. It we hand it to Mark ingram and then they just stop us right right at the goal. Line so we get. Beat and then they finished fifteen and one that. Year we were thirteen and. Three BUT i thought we were the two best teams in the league that.
Speaker 3: Year, YEAH i was here for that. Game that was not a, controversy ending was. It it was just.
Speaker 4: No not at, all just a, hard hard fought. Game we drove down with about fifty two seconds left to try to tie it and send it to, ot But aaron played lights. Out you, KNOW i felt like we, Played we played pretty well and it was just one of those heavyweight.
Speaker 3: Matches best quarterback performance you ever witnessed.
Speaker 4: Man the first one that came to mind WAS i played Against Peyton manning and The colts in two thousand and four in the game Where peyton Broke Dan marino's single season touchdown, mark so he threw touchdown number forty nine back When dan had the record at forty. Eight and we were we. Played first of, all we were heavy underdogs in this. GAME i was with The. Chargers we come play The colts and we just. Play we play so lights, out so lights, out and we're Beating we're we're winning by seven going in to the final drive And peyton this is the this is the game where it gets to fourth down And peyton sends the punt team off the field the first time that. Happens, no this isn't an overtime. Yet, okay but they beat us in overtime thirty four to thirty. One BUT i think we're winning thirty one twenty, four two minutes and something. Left it's one of those questionable, like, ah do we punt? It do? We but they're deep in their, territory you. Know doungee sends the punt team, out he sends them, back you, know and then and then rips a back shoulder To Reggie wayne on our. Sideline it was one of those LIKE i saw it, coming you, know and then yet there's still there's nothing you can do about, it mainly Because i'm a quarterback And i'm on the. Sideline i'm not PLAYING.
Speaker 3: Tv BUT i knew it's. COMING i was, like that's WHERE i would have.
Speaker 4: Gone rips a back shoulder Of Reggie way boot boot methodical down the. Field and Then Brandon stokely is in the slot over, here and we're in cover, two so two high, safeties and he looks over here and he gives this signal to this left side and this is like the universal singer for smash and a smash combination is hitch with a.
Speaker 3: Corner but he was doing it so emphatically.
Speaker 4: That i'm, like, ah something's up. Here he wants the safety to see smash, Smash so the safety over plays the corner And stokely runs up and gives it a. Nod crosses the safety's, Face peyton hits him right in the. Chest touchdown ties the, game touchdown number forty, nine and then they get the ball in, overtime go right down the, field kick a, field go and beat. Us so just just a, hoole send them off the. FIELD i got this coach back shoulder Of. Reggie wayne smash sick right and gets his stowt and beats. US i was, Like Peyton, manning.
Speaker 3: Checkmate great to see. You good luck with State.
Speaker 2: Line It's grain To Glass distillery right here In wisconsin and back to Back San Francisco World Spirit competition double gold winner with The State Line Coffee.
Speaker 1: Liqueur be sure to catch the live edition Of The Dan Patrick show weekdays at nine Am eastern six Am pacific On Fox Sports radio and The iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wap Matt Miller friend of the show and we make way for. Him come on, in, MAN.
Speaker 5: I, mean whe's charity closest to?
Speaker 3: Me, man.
Speaker 2: Looks like a like A christmas sweater that you got on or.
Speaker 3: Something it's cold out.
Speaker 5: Here you know it's.
Speaker 6: Cold i'm JUST i don't leave, home so being outside it's a little. Cold this isn't. Cold this is. Cold for, me where do you? LIVE i live in Southern. Missouri it's like eighty degrees.
Speaker 3: Okay but thank. You this is football weather.
Speaker 5: Here it's football.
Speaker 6: Weather i've never been To Green bay, before so as a football, nerd this IS i always SAID i wouldn't come here UNTIL i came for a game when it was cold.
Speaker 5: OUT i wanted the. Experience, yeah this is pretty.
Speaker 3: Close, yeah well this Is christmas for. You it.
Speaker 6: Is, yeah it's like tax season Plus christmas.
Speaker 2: Altogether but how much pressure do you feel when you put out a mock?
Speaker 3: Draft this is your.
Speaker 2: Job you're at the Mother ship and trying to live up to you, know Mel kiper and everybody else that YOU i don't know if you compete, with but you know you compliment each.
Speaker 6: Other So i'd never thought of it like. That so now there's a lot more pressure. Now i've never been, like, oh IF i put this out and it's not, Good kuiper's going to be, like never, mind get that kid off my. Desk but there is, PRESSURE i think. Obviously you, KNOW i spent ten years Of Bleacher. Report that's even different THAN espn because IT'S espn and you guys have been, there you, know it's like everything you say is under a different, Microscope so there is a lot of.
Speaker 5: Pressure with mock.
Speaker 6: Drafts you basically get to a point where you're never gonna like, it but you just get comfortable with. It so my last one came out yesterday, afternoon AND i finally sent it to the editors and was, LIKE i don't want to mess with this. Anymore let's just get it out there BECAUSE i could make. PICKS i could change picks until tonight at six fifty five IF i wanted, To so at some point you just wash your hands of it and hand it.
Speaker 3: In what's the pick that could change the first?
Speaker 6: Round, WELL i Think ashton genty going five To.
Speaker 5: Jacksonville But i'll back up a little.
Speaker 6: BIT i still think there's a five percent Chance Shador sanders goes three to The. GIANTS i don't feel great about, it AND i wouldn't put it in a mock draft BECAUSE i think it's a minute.
Speaker 5: Possibility but you have to account for the fact.
Speaker 6: That an owner could hop in and, say, hey you know, what take the quarterback. Here SO i Think schador at three would shake up the, draft not THAT i am expecting, it but gent To jacksonville five would would be a pretty big wild.
Speaker 2: Card, yeah it feels like somebody's trading. Up and my source said that somebody's trading, up and he, goes who are you trading up? For and he Thought genty's the only guy who's sort of a wild card with this of he's an impactful, guy and we'd, NOW i, guess reassess the running back position and he's. Back you know when somebody says He's Emmett smith with, Speed, okay you.
Speaker 6: Got my attention with. That, Yeah AND i do think in this class there's very few blue chip. Players so where you could, say, okay we Have Travis, hunter we Have Abdul. Carter the next best player on my board Is Ashton, Genty so thank, You Sakwon. Barkley now these running backs are being valued, again and SO i think there is that element of especially if you think About, jacksonville you have a first time general, manager first time head. Coach you really want your first pick to be a. HIT i remember talking To scott mccluhan about that when he took The washington. Job so the first pick needs to be a. Hit they Took Brandon, shirf who was a guard From. Iowa he played in THE nfl for thirteen. Years he was a really good player for. Them so instead of swinging for the, fences sometimes you just need that first pick to be a starter that you can point to your owner and, say, no the guy we. Picked, look he's out there Every. Sunday he's making an impact for. Us no one in this draft is going to make a Bigger year one impact Than Ashton.
Speaker 2: Genty how DO i know when you don't like a player when you put him in your mock.
Speaker 3: Draft that's a good.
Speaker 6: QUESTION i think when you don't like a, player you probably talk about it's more about the projection of how they could be good instead of here's HOW i. Know like WHEN i talk About Abdul, carter you get, excited you, know you get energetic about what he brings to the when you talk about somebody you, know second round OR i would even, Say i'm not the Biggest Shador sanders, fan and there's a difference WHEN i talk about, him because it's, well he could work if this, happens if he gets in the right, scheme if he gets somewhere where they have a run game and he can live off play. Action but he's not a you, know he's not a big. Guy he's not a traits. Guy he doesn't have the huge. Arm SO i think you start to talk yourself into it more when you don't like a.
Speaker 2: Player, Yeah i'm just it's weird how we can look at one positive but also make it a negative when people, go, man he's tough in the, pocket he takes, hits and then you'll, go, well maybe if he got rid of the ball sooner than he wouldn't take hold of those.
Speaker 6: Hits you would love him to be that tough and not be sacked ninety five. Times if he could be that tough and get sacked twenty. Times and it is interesting because from an analytics, standpoint quarterbacks who are sacked a lot in college get sacked a lot in THE, nfl and.
Speaker 3: That's what we don't.
Speaker 6: Want it is one of the, stats along with, fumbles that actually translates really well From saturdays To. Sunday so you're, right it's, like we love his toughness and that he's willing to stand in the, pocket but at the same, time at six,' one two, HUNDRED pounds i would much rather him get rid of the ball on time more.
Speaker 3: Likely to be a pro bowler or. A, Bust Sure. Dover sanders, oh gosh.
Speaker 6: That's tough this is gonna. GET clipped i, will say more likely to be. A bust but can you be a bust if you're picked at twenty one or? Thirty, three, well.
Speaker 2: Well okay what's the line of demarcation of you're a bust if you're taking in?
Speaker 3: This era do we?
Speaker 6: CALL it, I Guess, kenny pickett we would call bust because you were a quarterback in the first round and you're not, The starter so in that sense you would be, a bust but not in the Sense Of JaMarcus russell Or Or trey lance in, terms of, you know.
Speaker 5: A BUST so i think there's levels.
Speaker 6: To it, you know if you're drafted in the top ten and you don't become a long, term starter that's obviously a.
Speaker 5: Bad pick if he's.
Speaker 6: Drafted it if someone trades up and takes him at twenty six and he doesn't, work out it's NOT as I wouldn't i don't KNOW that i want to call that. A, Bust okay but why don't we call?
Speaker 3: Scouts bust? We should or GM's bus or.
Speaker 6: Draft guys we should all take.
Speaker 5: The, heat, no wait we. ABSOLUTELY should i.
Speaker 3: Think the players don't. Draft themselves.
Speaker 6: That's it i've made that. Point before so it's not the. Player's fault they. Were overdrafted. You know if a player. Gets Drafted trey lance is a, good example it's not. His fault he was drafted at number three after playing one game the.
Speaker 5: Year before and how do you?
Speaker 3: Miss on?
Speaker 2: You, trade okay so This Is kyle Shanahan And. John, LYNCH yeah i mean how.
Speaker 5: Do you miss?
Speaker 3: This badly you trade and you.
Speaker 6: You Find rock party and. Everyone, forgets yes that's. It works if they Didn't Get, rock purty they would, be fired you?
Speaker 3: Think?
Speaker 6: SO probably i mean it's Tough because Kyle. IS kyle i MEAN he's nfl royalty to, some degree but probably because what would be your answer? At quarterback they might still Be Playing trey lance at.
Speaker 2: This Point If rock purty was taken fifteenth instead of the last pick in, the draft would we have any issues with paying him fifty five?
Speaker 6: MILLION dollars i don't. THINK so i think they would would be, praised, as oh look they. Got it, you know they've hit on. This quarterback if He, Was, jones YEAH the narra would be. Completely different the fact that he's been To A, super bowl which That's not that's something a lot of quarterbacks can't say in this era that's been Dominated by Brady. And mahomes, SO yeah i don't think anyone would be and they probably would have paid him already had he been drafted, in fifteen because you always carry that first round tag with you if you're drafted in the first round forever you were a first.
Speaker 3: Round Pick He's.
Speaker 2: Matt miller HE'S AN espn nfl. Draft analyst he'll be working rounds four through seven With Mel, Kiper Rhys, Davis, field Yates And. Lewis riddick give me the mock draft that you're the, Proudest of like you know where you had somebody and you could take a.
Speaker 6: VICTORY left i don't KNOW if i. HAVE one i honestly. Mock drafts you get eight picks right and you feel great. ABOUT yourself i think two, YEARS ago I think i hit like nine of the nine picks in a row to start. The draft but that just means it was an unp like it was a. Predictable draft it's. Very, chalky yeah, ONE year i want to. DO it i want to go with the betting odds and do the mock draft and see how right it. Would BE but i also know that those lines change based off, mock draft so it might be, you know exercise.
Speaker 5: And futility but with, MOCK drafts.
Speaker 6: I mean it is truly if You get if you get ten, or eleven that's a.
Speaker 3: Great year have you had agents try to massage you a little bit there? WITH uh, i mean no'd be nice to.
Speaker 6: MY client i think because, YOU know i broke into this INDUSTRY when i was, really young AND so i think MORE so i have agents who feel like they can call me and tell me HOW wrong i am and HOW dumb, i am instead of, YOU know i think with some of the guys who were in the league and then came to the, Media side I'm sure kuyper doesn't get called by agents, who say you're. An idiot this guy's gonna go first round and you have him in. The second agents, are, funny though because they will do that until, this week and then they'll call, and, say so where do you think my guy's going? To go, you say, you know they want to know the draft range. This week last week you were an idiot for having their player in the second or third round? This, week hey what are you hearing about? My player so it's you.
Speaker 3: To take Why Is jalen milroe invited to? THE draft i don't that is a.
Speaker 6: GREAT question i don't think it's because he's going to be, picked tonight as fascinating as he is. A player i reminded people when that Happened That matt Correll And malik willis were also invited to. The draft there were third, Round picks so.
Speaker 5: At some point IN. The NFL the nfl is an.
Speaker 6: Entertainment business they want a, good story And if jalen milro is comfortable hanging Out In green bay for an, extra day he'll be the face of the draft.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night teams that historically are not, good drafters who would you put at?
Speaker 6: THE top i thought you were gonna, name THEM so I Was. Brown's jets those are the two that come to mind. For ME and i tried to make a joke this morning on radio About the jets being bad at, the draft and PEOPLE thought i was. Predicting something, it's, like, no actually they're just traditionally they're not good.
Speaker 3: At it and THAT'S.
Speaker 6: Why i think you can Point to cleveland's been better as, Of late but there those are teams that are consistently picking in the, top five.
Speaker 5: Top ten they're there every year for.
Speaker 3: A reason, Seattle's great baltimore, Is Great green. Bay's Great, GREEN.
Speaker 5: Bay I think buffalo is.
Speaker 6: Is great, they're underrate but what's the? STRATEGY there i think they know their system well enough to know what type of player, works THERE and i had some consistency in their, coaching position so you know exactly, you know Like With, matt lafleur you know what he's looking for and you know where you can find. That value you Can Draft zach tom in the. Fifth round you don't have to spend a first round pick on an. Offensive tackle or we know they're not going to draft a receiver in the, first ROUND although i really hope they. Do tonight if you have the draft in, your hometown you. Should draft it should, be fun you should take. A RECEIVER but i think it does boil down To, like baltimore they've drafted the same player on defense for. Twenty years they know exactly what, works there and they just keep plugging those players and highly productive players from big colleges and look At the rams. Turn around they're doing.
Speaker 5: That too they're going highly.
Speaker 6: Productive players from powerful conferences and they've completely flipped that defense around After. Losing Aaron donald.
Speaker 2: Fritzi's A diehard. Bronco fan he found out this Morning the broncos have a first round.
Speaker 5: Draft, Pick, oh congress it's kind.
Speaker 3: OF sad i thought that they didn't have a first. Round pick for a couple days after that They Had russell.
Speaker 5: Wilson, deal, yeah no. You're back.
Speaker 6: You're back and they might be trading up is what everyone's saying today is they might be.
Speaker 5: Moving UP can i ask you a?
Speaker 3: Quick question you'll humor. Of me can We?
Speaker 7: See ashton can they trade up and Go From Boise state Bronco To?
Speaker 3: Denver bronco is that? Expecting to it'd.
Speaker 6: Be expensive do you want to spend two or three first round picks on a? Running back would be, the, question so especially in a deep running. Back draft but it would be funcos it would.
Speaker 5: Be, fun yeah they'd have put some blue turf Down in denver.
Speaker 3: For him it'd.
Speaker 2: Be great haven't they already done stupid things when they Brought In russell wilson.
Speaker 7: That didn't work out very well For To russell Wilson related Broncos Shirt.
Speaker 3: Cob webs how Does cam ward not? WORK out i think if he continues to.
Speaker 6: Be reckless you, KNOW what i think the biggest drawback for him is at times he believes in his own talent so much that he'll wait to, do things or he'll make throws that. He SHOULDN'T when i Look, at tennessee they have to add playmakers.
Speaker 5: Around him. He is he is a very good.
Speaker 6: Point guard but it's notable that his career got better when he Went to miami where he. Had players He Had, Elijah Royo, Xavier Rostrepo, Sam Brown. Damian martinez all those guys are going to be drafted. This weekend he didn't Do That, washington state despite the fact that He Had, kyle williams who's going to be a top one hundred draft pick. At RECEIVER so i think for Cam if tennessee doesn't surround him with playmakers and they expect him to Go Be jaden Daniels Or, patrick mahomes it's not who. He is he's much more of a distributor than. He is, you know this electric playmaker. He's not that's not really the type of player that he needs.
Speaker 2: To be but if you look at the, you know scouts and, draft analysts, they, say Well cam ward probably would have been the seventh quarterback taken.
Speaker 3: Last year, yeah right they have fifth.
Speaker 5: To, Seventh okay but.
Speaker 2: If that's, The Case travis hunter is the most unique football player maybe we'll. Ever, see yeah Why don't why don't you take that guy instead of taking the best quarterback in.
Speaker 6: This draft i've been saying that. AS well i WOULD that i Would Take abdul Carter Or. Travis hunter but when they didn't jump in the quarterback market and, free agency we knew where they. Were going because you can't roll another Year Of will levis. Out there that's that's. Not working and so we see this every. Year though teams talk themselves into. THEIR quarterbacks, I Mean fritzy's broncos, it worked but they talk Themselves into bonnicks and they were really backed into that corner of there's no other quarterback on, the board we're gonna have to.
Speaker 3: Take him it.
Speaker 6: Worked Out mac jones is an example of when that doesn't. Work out So cam ward is a. Good player he's my number fourteen overall player in. This draft so him going one is. Not relative no one has him ranked as the top player in, the draft at least of the Boards that i've seen from, my colleagues none of us have him as the. TOP player i know that anyone has him in the. Top five even give me your scolding hot take, for tonight, For tonight oh, THAT man i should have been prepared, for that my scolding. Hot take the defensive linemen are going to fly off the. Board tonight that's.
Speaker 3: Not, hot, no, no, no, okay, no no.
Speaker 6: No, Hotter yeah schador doesn't?
Speaker 5: Go tonight is?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 5: Hot, yeah, okay yeah we'll go. WITH that i think we see one, quarterback tonight unless there's.
Speaker 3: A Trade jackson dart. Didn't, go no as.
Speaker 6: MUCH as i would, love it Unless the giants come. BACK up i could. SEE that i could See the giants getting back in, for HIM but. I don't it's very hard to find a team That loves Shad, or, sanders yeah that loves enough to make him. The guy and Maybe, it's pittsburgh but there's got to be Some CANNY pickett, ptsd there, you know, from, like oh we tried this two, years ago it did three.
Speaker 5: Years ago it.
Speaker 6: Didn't work so that would be my my. Hot take do small.
Speaker 3: Hands matter with? YOUR quarterbacks i mean a?
Speaker 6: Little bit if you, have FUMBLES then i think you look at that, and say is their? Causation there, you know if you have a guy of, smaller Hands But patrick mahomes has nine, inch hands has held? Him back, IT also i think you want to look. At it if it's a player who has, fumble issues then you look at the hand size, and, say okay maybe, It, matters.
Speaker 3: Marvin hold up. Your hands if you had, a quarterback.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah those you're also not a big. Hand guy, you know a sub six footer has got to. Stick together so it's also, YOU know i don't know that What Was john elway's.
Speaker 5: HAND size i.
Speaker 6: Don't know It's Probably. Prye dece's he's a. Big guy But Like, joe montana.
Speaker 3: THAT'S what i brought that.
Speaker 2: AT her i think it's so SILLY that i don't remember, somebody saying, YOU know I just i don't know if you'll succeed hands Are Smaller joe namath or any.
Speaker 6: OF these i understand the irony of a person in my field, Saying This, but dan a lot of the things we talk About from january to now really.
Speaker 3: Don't matter you.
Speaker 5: KNOW what i just really they, don't matter, You KNOW and i get.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that but.
Speaker 2: Thank, you hey, You, Gotta phil it's you're in the machine At. The mothership, you gotta, you gotta, you know we gotta talk. About, something yes.
Speaker 3: Have fun, This. Weekend matt great to.
Speaker 1: See You Fox sports radio has the best sports talk lineup in. The nation catch all of our Shows At foxsports radio dot com and Within the. iHeartRadio APP search fsr to listen live DRAFT coverage yep with the birth pick the biggest names that know about every player and.
Speaker 3: Every team you've got it, Right.
Speaker 1: Here god Listen ASS fox Nfl Insider, jay Glazer Former New york jets General Manager, Joe Douglas College football Hall of famer and former number two overall Pick LaVar Eringtech And fox sports lead college Football Reporter jenny tap. Delivered Them Pick fine. Pick Coverage Fox Draft night live lives right Here On Fox. Sports radio you are listening To The Dan patrick Show On. Fox Sports. It's radio.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 2: AN audience i think they're better. Than, Yesterday, WOW yeah i. Think so and that's saying. A lot but packed house once again here at. The bar we'll be back here tomorrow morning. As well and people say what time should we? SHOW up i would say a couple hours before we. Get started some people shown up at three point thirty four in the morning to get. In here but thank you for taking time off to join us here in our Mobile man cave of sorts eight seven SEVEN three dp show email Address dpat danpatrick Dot com twitter HANDLE at. Dp show we'll Talk To. Kurt warner he'll. Stop By, DANIEL jeremiah nfl. Network analyst he'll be working the draft TONIGHT With nfl Network.
Speaker 3: With rich eisen.
Speaker 2: And company and he's the one who came out with the COMMENT and i want to ask him about this where he Said That cleveland browns Are Taking travis hunter and that he would major an offense minor, in defense which which is opposite or counter TO what.
Speaker 3: I think we've.
Speaker 2: Been told, all right poll question for the final hour of. The program we do HAVE our nfl hot takes at these are the. Bold Proclamations matt miller was just HERE the espn. Draft analysts he said his hot Take is Shaud or sanders not taken in the. First round so we'll have that so poll. Question here see.
Speaker 8: It's crazy to me That shadur can is either going like second or. Second, round yeahs no. Real, consensus yeah we have up there. Right NOW Better Nfl draft Day Trade jerry Rice Or patrick.
Speaker 3: MAHOMES dot i don't.
Speaker 2: Think people Remember That jerry rice was traded for By, the niners but everybody Remembers With.
Speaker 8: Patrick mahomes, right now the results of that are fifty three. FORTY seven i want To guess.
Speaker 2: I'm going, to Say because rice is the greatest receiver of, all time they.
Speaker 8: Would say him he would have forty, seven recently, but, Yeah Yeah. Patrick mahomes, right now it's been going a little closer to fifty, to fifty but right now he's ticking up at fifty.
Speaker 3: Three percent, all, right yeah.
Speaker 2: Good morning if you're Watching, on peacock our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around, The, Country marvin i'll start. With you the scalding hot take for the draft is going to Be What.
Speaker 9: Tyler warren will be drafted By The New england patriots at.
Speaker 2: Number, Four Wow ben state? Tight, end, okay correct, All.
Speaker 9: Right jackson dart will go in the first round of. The, draft tonight.
Speaker 3: Okay To The.
Speaker 8: La, rams, okay, okay interesting, All.
Speaker 7: Right Todd, the broncos who unbknownst, to me have a first Round.
Speaker 2: You're the hot take Is the broncos have a first john draft pick and you didn't.
Speaker 3: Know it they will move.
Speaker 7: Up from the twenty spot tonight To select, ashton genty So A Boise state bronco Becomes To.
Speaker 3: Denver Bronco the.
Speaker 7: Cowboys move up from Twelve To Grant penn State Tighten, tyler warren hoping for The Neck jason witten Or J, novachek.
Speaker 3: Okay joined name drop it, uh seatan how?
Speaker 8: About you let's see tow a Tongue of ilo will be traded tonight to Either, The, saints giants Forty nine Ers.
Speaker 4: Or.
Speaker 3: Steelers WOW and.
Speaker 8: Nfl Sac Lader trey hendrickson will be, traded tonight okay to Either, The, packers Lions.
Speaker 5: Or commanders.
Speaker 2: Let's, Go, packers, yeah go, Pack go we'll pack go, ALL, RIGHT pauli.
Speaker 5: I think seaton's.
Speaker 10: Got this those are pretty. Pretty scalding i'm. Gonna Go the patriots trade the. Fourth pick they trade out at the fourth pick With. The Bears the bears have Ten the bears will trade up the four To Get, abduall carter who slips to the, fourth.
Speaker 3: Pick my, second one Less Warm jackson dart will.
Speaker 5: Go ninth To.
Speaker 3: The Saints day.
Speaker 2: Marvin's are. PRETTY good, I mean seaton's throwing in the too a tongue. OF ioloa, i mean. That's scalding And Then trey hendrickson Of the bengals gets traded.
Speaker 3: As well there's two big trades. Right there yeah, They, are. Yeah, yeah tonight.
Speaker 2: Why don't we bring in an, Expert Here kurt warner joining Us the Hall OF Famer nfl networks coverage first round of the draft coming up tonight at. Eight eastern as we make Way.
Speaker 3: For kurt warner on, A Program. Let's go.
Speaker 2: You, weren't Drafted but i'm wondering if you would had been the, last pick if you had been, mister irrelevant would that have worked against you more than just being a free agent where you would had that label that you would be mister irrelevant the rest of.
Speaker 3: Your career that's a.
Speaker 7: GREAT question i think the difference always becomes when you're picked, that late you have to go to the particular team that, drafted you where if you become a, free agent there's usually four or five different teams where you get the, opportunity to at least in your, mind, THINK oh i can.
Speaker 3: Pick and choose what the best situation is.
Speaker 7: For ME but i think as, a player you, always, think Well if, i'm drafted that gives me a better chance to make the team because they invested a pick.
Speaker 3: In ME but i.
Speaker 7: Don't know it didn't work out for me the way that it, you know as a, free Agent so i'm not sure it would have been much better.
Speaker 2: Either, way okay but how do you pick your team that you want to actually try to?
Speaker 3: MAKE well, i mean, FOR instance i Picked.
Speaker 7: THE packers i Picked The green, bay team and the REASON that i picked them was because they only had three quarterbacks on.
Speaker 3: The, roster now they were.
Speaker 7: Good quarterbacks in Far of Brunel And Debt Mura heisman. Trophy winner but my, mindset was if they're only going to invite four guys, TO camp i only have to beat out one, of them or if something happens or if one of these guys, is traded there's a better chance for me to make the team there then to go to A team I Think san diego at, the time had six guys coming, to camp and, you know being a free agent, Guy, like okay how many REPS am i going? To get what kind of CHANCE am i gonna get to make. The team so that was my mindset at, the time even though they were. Good, PLAYERS hey i FEEL like i have a better chance to get some reps and maybe SHOWCASE what i can DO if i went To.
Speaker 2: The packers how would you compare yourself when you got To the packers With What brett farv was doing at.
Speaker 3: The, TIME.
Speaker 7: Well i will say this is that lining up Next to Brett and Mark and tie every day in training camp or, you know during, THAT period i was more CONFIDENT when i LEFT that i could play IN the NFL because i felt my physical skills matched up to those GUYS that i KNEW were. Nfl Players but, brett was, you know it was early in, his stage, you know of being a starter.
Speaker 3: And becoming that guy IN.
Speaker 7: The NFL but i remember calling my family after seeing him for about, two Days and, i'm like this, Dude's different like this dude, is special EVEN though i don't think everybody knew it at the time because it was kind Of the brett fav, you know, spin around throw it up in. The air you have, these interceptions kind of these crazy. He plays when you saw him get between the lines and, play football he was he was different at.
Speaker 3: That time what was he like? In, PRACTICE.
Speaker 7: Well i could take you into the meeting rooms and so You know Steve, mary YUCCI who i work, with now was our.
Speaker 3: Quarterback, coach uh, you know those three guys.
Speaker 7: Are in the room and, you know oftentimes he would pull up tape and, he's, Like, okay brett tell me what the, play is and, you know, formation motion call his play, for Me and brett's like throwing Around all, HE'S like I don't i, don't, know mooch. You know and then and then ties There and tie just cleans it all up and he knows. It all he's just like. A coach but when You put brett between, the lines everything seemed to. Just, click like, YOU know i listened to him in the meeting Room and, i'm like oh, my gosh what are we gonna get on the. Practice field and then he goes on the practice field and it was just bang, Bang back like everything just seemed to make sense to him between. The lines but, you know he couldn't look, at it, you know the tape and recall, everything there but you give him a play call and let him, go playball and he was just it was just really.
Speaker 6: Really good when did you know you, had arrived like you you could be a, great player.
Speaker 3: A. Great, player.
Speaker 7: YEAH when i, say arrived, for me it was it was different with. My journey so in, ninety NINE when i became, the starter we actually had to buy the second week of, the season which they don't, do anymore but we had to buy the, second week so played the first week Against. The ravens me and my wife actually went back to her hometown to see, her FAMILY and i got a call when we were driving down the STREET that i was the player of the week IN the Nfl after, Week one and that was my moment, Where, LIKE okay i don't Know if i'm ever going to play. ANOTHER game i don't know where it goes, from here but for, ONE week i was the best player In The National football and that was kind of like my moment of after the, entire journey like all the THINGS that, i, BELIEVED see i, TOLD you i, told you at least for, ONE week i could be.
Speaker 3: That guy so that was kind of you get any moment you get. A, CERTIFICATE yeah I think. I heard i think maybe they gave you a papers AT every.
Speaker 5: I don't i don't have.
Speaker 7: Any idea the phone call was enough for me to just kind, of okay, all right we.
Speaker 3: Made it we're Talking To.
Speaker 2: Kurt warner he'll be on the draft coming up tonight at eight EASTERN On. Nfl network we spend so much time talking, about QUARTERBACKS and i was just Talking To, matt miller who's draft ANALYST. For Espn If, i'm tennessee WHY am i trying to get a QUARTERBACK when i can get the a guy who Is the otani OF the Nfl And. Travis hunter SO now i like the sure thing is? Right, there, Correct, Right okay i'm going to take a chance On, cam ward who at best would have been the fifth quarterback drafted.
Speaker 3: Last year so WHY am i? Doing?
Speaker 2: That why why WHY am i not patient? To go, We can we'll find.
Speaker 7: Our quarterback cause it's as simple as if you don't, have one you don't have. A chance i, Mean that that's that's the way it is IN the nfl outside of, you know barring one of those unique situations where you have an incredible defense and an unbelievable, run game and your quarterback can be a. Complementary piece it just doesn't happen. Very often and so it's why. We reach it's why we talk, about quarterbacks because if you don't, have one you don't have, a chance and especially if you're LOOKING the afc right now with way the way that's going and all the players that you. Have there and so that's why, you know at, THIS pick i agree, with, You, like okay we've got guys that we know are going to BE good, nfl Players cam ward really good.
Speaker 3: College player we.
Speaker 7: Don't know but that's exactly why you have to take, the chance is because you just know you don't have an opportunity to win. Without it AND then i think that the second factor is we have no. Patience anymore we have, no patients not just, for quarterback we have no patience.
Speaker 3: For coaches and.
Speaker 7: So these, Coaches, KNOW okay i can go build a roster for, somebody else BECAUSE if i don't have a quarterback for three or, Four years i'm gone and somebody else is going to come in and be able to use all THESE pieces. I have so you go and you try to get that guy that you think has a chance to be a special player, for you KNOWING if i find, that guy he gives us a chance every time, we play and then we go and build.
Speaker 2: AROUND him i had one of my greatest moments in, my career and it happened During Your super Bowl. With Pittsburgh because i'm going to hand out. The trophy i'm on the Sidelines and I'm With. Steve Young So steve young is with Me as ben comes onto, the Field And steve young is doing play by play and. Color like so he's telling me From a Hall of fame Perspective what ben, is doing what they.
Speaker 3: Should do so he's doing this all the way down.
Speaker 2: The Sidelines now i'm, Still thinking i'm handing out the trophy to, you guys and then all of, a sudden, you Know so steve is going this is this, IS crazy, I mean ben is this. Is unbelievable and then he throws the touchdown pass and, he said. YOU can't, i mean we don't make. THOSE throw i mean that's not normal to make. That throw so when you're watching all of this as, a quarterback you're, probably, saying well WHAT would? I do or, you know put yourself in. That position, i'm guessing at what point did you realize you were?
Speaker 7: IN trouble I mean I realized i was in trouble when he threw the curl route to the right hand Side and antonio took it for about seventy, you know like all we're thinking on, you know on our, sideline is, you know we've got the lead at, that point.
Speaker 3: Hold them to a field goal.
Speaker 7: At worst so we're going into overtime because we had kind of taken the momentum at, that point and so our whole mindset is just you don't give up the, big play like keep everything in front. Of you and then it was right off the bat when you throw a curl and he spins and and, you know sets them up inside the. Red zone and THAT'S when, i thought too, Many opportunities like.
Speaker 3: We're giving them too.
Speaker 7: Many chances like if we gave him one shot in the red zone to go for, THE touchdown i. Feel confident you get down there and we give them first and goal and they've got a chance for at least four plays. Down there THAT'S when i, was worried and, you know he had thrown a pass A better i wouldn't say a, better pass but they had an opportunity to score, a touchdown, you know the, play before and they missed.
Speaker 3: That play and.
Speaker 9: So after, that happened, you're, like okay they.
Speaker 3: Missed one maybe we got a.
Speaker 7: Shot here and then when he went and threw the Past to santonio from my, Vantage point, i'm, like oh what's? He doing like there's three, guys there there's, No Chance like i'm feeling pretty good that we're gonna knock. This down and, of course, perfect pass unbelievable catch in between. Three guys but that's what, you know, you know that's What super bowls are. All about it's great players making. Great plays but it was after that first quick curl route that spun out and turned into, you know first down into the red ZONE where i knew like we were in.
Speaker 3: Trouble here what still keeps you up? At night?
Speaker 7: Football wise, football wise it would Be the Patriot, super bowl, you know one just that we didn't play our. Best game like you want to go To The super bowl and you want to play your. Best game you want, to, say hey you, leave it like that game Against, The steelers nobody expected us to be there with two and a half minutes, To go we're leading in. That game we played a good football game and very easily could have been champs in. That GAME so i can live with, that one even with the long interception and all the stuff.
Speaker 3: THAT happened i could live with.
Speaker 7: That one it was two thousand and one where we were a better team than we played on, that day and when you get to, those moments and you know what that could have meant for a lot of, different things to have Two super bowl championships in, three years all of.
Speaker 3: That stuff that's the.
Speaker 7: Game to ME that i wish we could have back and we could play that, over AGAIN because i, really believe, you know and nothing Against.
Speaker 3: The patriots we were the better.
Speaker 7: Football team, you know we didn't play better in those, three hours but we were the better. Football team we played, ten times WE win i think at least eight, of those but that day they. Outplayed us we didn't put our best. Foot forward and that's the game that just continually comes back through my mind more than more than all.
Speaker 3: The others but what was the?
Speaker 2: Chatter beforehand You're facing brady and he didn't have, Much, experience yeah and what was the defensive.
Speaker 7: Philosophy, THERE well I mean i think THAT our defensi velosophy was basically. WHAT happened, I Mean tom brady threw for like one hundred and fifty yards in, the game and they had, YOU know i threw a, Pick six they had one. Touchdown pass there was another One where tory kind of tripped led to another, you know interception that was points. For them AND so i think the game plan was what we wanted it. To be and it's like their offense isn't going to. Beat us we just got to play better than, their defense which obviously we had great confidence that we could do that with the team that.
Speaker 3: We had but that was more of the mindset.
Speaker 7: Going In tom Brady Wasn't tom brady yet at, That point so it wasn't like a, fear like, oh gosh we got to worry about twelve at.
Speaker 3: This time it was more worried about.
Speaker 7: Their Defense, bill belichick we played him earlier in, the year, Going, in okay what are they going? To do we know they're not going to do the same thing they did. Last time what do we have to prepare? For it so that was more of the MATCHUP that i think we were thinking about.
Speaker 2: GOING in i have a, football here and, you know we get caught up in if you'll hold that and show us the proper way to throw.
Speaker 7: A football proper way to throw, a, football YEAH because i mean like like some like. My, grip, yeah yeah so my grip IS one i don't know where the, camera is but they'll Find where i'm almost on the point of. The football and and, FOR me i actually changed to that GRIP when i was in. High SCHOOL when i watched the guy that was older than me. Threw it he threw a really, good ball And so, I'm, like okay how's he hold? The football and he had his finger more towards. The point AND when i first started, DOING that i threw a lot of, Ducks anyways BUT when i first started, doing that the ball never came. Off CLEAN but i always FELT like i had more control with. That point, you know that finger on the point of, the ball because it's kind of.
Speaker 3: The last thing that you release as you're throwing.
Speaker 7: The FOOTBALL so i felt like it gave me more ACCURACY when i was. Doing THAT but, I mean i don't know if there's a there's a perfect way to. DO it i think, to me it's like grab it what feels comfortable to you. Do it but that was the thing, for ME is i wanted to have as why the grip as possible on, the BALL and i wanted to have my finger close to.
Speaker 3: The POINT so i just felt like it may be. More accurate do you care how it inflated? IT is.
Speaker 7: I mean i would like it, legally, INFLATED like, i mean whatever the standard is is?
Speaker 4: IS what?
Speaker 2: I wait but why can't you have a football that you WANT and i have a FOOTBALL that?
Speaker 7: I want, I mean i. DON'T know, i mean why do we? Have rules why why can't you do? SOMETHING that, I mean i.
Speaker 3: Don't know nobody's nobody benefits from The kickers on.
Speaker 7: A second like why would somebody do it if they don't benefit?
Speaker 3: From it like whatever that that.
Speaker 7: THING is, i mean if you deflated a football or you pumped, it up like you would only do that if you felt it gave you some sort of, an, Advantage right and so.
Speaker 3: We'd like kickers have their. OWN ball, i, mean okay but that's not.
Speaker 7: The rule like if the rule is everybody can have their, own ball and we actually do allow quarterbacks to break the ball in and do what they want.
Speaker 2: To do so you Realize That aaron rodgers told me that he over inflated footballs and nobody said anything about that because he didn't have a guy known as the Inflator and brady had a guy known as.
Speaker 3: The deflator. IT'S skilling i, don't know. It's silly are you? Saying silly but, TO me, i mean if the question we're calling Into Question Tom Brady's, super bowl is that what. WE'RE doing i knew somehow this was going. To go then you were somehow gonna give.
Speaker 7: Me THERE but i mean the funny thing to, me is and, you know maybe it's to the credit of those guys over inflating or, under INFLATING like i never once thought about how, much air like give me, The ball like give me, the ball what? Ball, is oh it's. This ball let's let's go. Play football like that. Was nothing you KNOW that i even thought about a DETAIL that. I considered, i MEAN maybe i, should have but it was, Nothing, like hey this, is legal somebody figured. It out let's go. Play ball it's just kind of what.
Speaker 3: You do you're probably not having this conversation on the.
Speaker 7: Draft tonight i'm probably anably, NOT okay I see i GUARANTEE you i will not let it.
Speaker 3: Go, there, yes okay great, to see good to.
Speaker 1: See you, As Always Fox sports radio has the best sports talk lineup in. The nation catch all of our Shows At foxsports radio dot com and Within the. iHeartRadio APP search fsr to listen live DRAFT coverage yep with the first pick the biggest names that know about every player and, Every team you've got it. Right here Listen AS fox Nfl Insider, jay Glazer Former New york jets General Manager, joe Douglas College football Hall of famer and former number two overall Pick LaVar Erringtecht And fox sports lead college Football Reporter jemmy taff delivered, a pick, fine pick Covering good at the, NEXT night A Night Fox Trap knight live lives right Here On Fox. SPORTS radio a lot of Fun Seeing.
Speaker 2: Kurt warner the argument kept going when we went to commercial break about inflating your football or deflating. Your football if you can do IT and i can, do it then it shouldn't be an issue. For me But as, kurt, says well there is a rule, in play, so therefore why have a rule if you're not going to. ENFORCE it i, understand that but kickers get their. Own football and the Fact That aaron rodgers said he overinflated. The football he wanted an over. Inflated football but you know that's there's no drama attached to that because it doesn't have anything to do With the Patriots Or. Tom, Brady Okay daniel JERROLD My Nfl network draft analyst and he'll be on the call tonight at eight EASTERN On. Nfl network he also has Moved the sticks podcast and A former nfl Scouts as we make Way For daniel jeremiah on.
Speaker 3: THE Program, A, hey dan you?
Speaker 11: See man, all right, That's so i'm glad you finally got to the Bottom of Kurt Hating tom brady.
Speaker 2: As asterisk By super Bowls For, tom brady and.
Speaker 11: He's been saying that behind the scenes. For years it was nice to see him out here.
Speaker 3: Like that. That's great he's gonna love you. For this did you ever See a brady?
Speaker 11: COLLEGE tape, i, did ACTUALLY but i was, you know he was came into the LEAGUE before i got, into scouting but WE had i started in two thousand, and three and we do. A THING when i was With the Ravens Called. Scout school so in the evenings at, training camp everybody had to do, a presentation and the idea was to let the whole group learned something. And grow and somebody did the how we all screwed Up On tom brady presentation and went through and kind of showed, his tape read all the reports and kind of went through.
Speaker 2: The, background okay but wait, a minute he lost his job to. Drew hensive so everybody can look back and have revisions history, and, SAY man i knew?
Speaker 8: Who.
Speaker 11: Knew well the interesting thing was it was more so in the background than it was In the in the description of, the play like it WAS and i don't remember the, exact words but it, was like this guy's a. Maniacal competitor, you know all the, wiring stuff all that stuff was just off. The charts and so the point of the process was sometimes if the skill levels meets the threshold as adequate and you have the elite off off, the, charts, character, work ethic all, that stuff that those guys can. Be, Better, now no there's no way anybody could ever know that he was going to do what. He did but there were some little nuggets and little morsels.
Speaker 5: In there what was.
Speaker 3: A red flag when you? Were scouting?
Speaker 11: Red, FLAG gosh i always thought it was a red flag when you go back in the DAY when i, was scouting you had the, video guys because everybody didn't just have everything on. Their iPad and if the video guys did not know the quarterback had no relationship with, the quarterback that always made me nervous because the guy has not been in there watching extra tape that should be one of his. Best friends HOW do i? GET access i NEED to i want to come in here and. Watch this so that was just one kind of RANDOM.
Speaker 2: And i always thought if you were going to talk to somebody and, Get IT and i was, told this talk to the, equipment manager talk to people who. Are around how does he treat people who aren't important? Per se how is he in? The lock you know those kind. Of THINGS and i remember running into a guy who Worked At washington State With. Ryan, leaf yeah and he gave me a heads up without. TELLING me, i mean he, was, saying boy wait till you get a load, of THIS and, i.
Speaker 3: Go what do?
Speaker 2: You mean, he, Goes oh i'm just saying and, you know SO then i eventually. Found out what he was saying is the Reputation with ryan at the time was not a. Great, teammate yeah and you know there's other things in Play with, ryan there and maybe you shouldn't have been up as high as. You know you know now It was peyton, versus him and nobody wins that. Competition, battle yeah.
Speaker 11: No question we always would do it at the combine and when you're interviewing Guys At All, star games one of the questions we would always ask is if you can take one teammate, with you who would you want to play with at the. Next level and it was kind of interesting because some guys will come up over and over and over again through that process.
Speaker 2: And we, you know it's not, character assassination but it certainly felt like we needed. A story now we got an unnamed scowled or some, you know executive who's talking Bad about Shad. Or sanders has anybody said anything negative about somebody else in this draft as far as their personality or their ability?
Speaker 5: TO interview i would say it.
Speaker 11: This way there's obviously going to be in almost every single player in, every draft there's going to be somebody in the draft room who's a fan and someone. Who's not But with shador This, year dan it is So and i'm not comparing them as players, or people but it is it's so Reminiscent To, johnny manziel where the spotlight is, so bright and there's never been more information coming out on a player than there has Been. On, chaudeur again totally different players, and PEOPLE but i don't recall this much attention on one player since we Had The johnny, manziel DRAFT.
Speaker 2: And i remember an Executive saying johnny was unbelievable as.
Speaker 11: An, interview well he, Was, charismatic yeah come in and fill. The, ROOM yes i mean his pro day is going to go down as one Of. The alzheimers the guy put, on pads there was, blaring music and the former president Of The united states was on the sideline.
Speaker 5: Watching it.
Speaker 3: How did everybody miss?
Speaker 5: ON him i just think it was, So fun it was.
Speaker 11: SO tantalized i went and saw him play several, times live Including in, bowl games.
Speaker 3: And it was just.
Speaker 11: So magical at the, college level and, you had, you know The the alabama program and where that, group was and, you're like, this guy nobody can do this, against them and this kid came AND then i always remembered is one of his first. Preseason games it WAS on TV and i happened to. Tune in it might have been Against, the Lions if i'm, Not MISTAKEN and i remember texting My Buddy bucky brooks because we had both been at a bowl game and sat next to each other and we kind of got taken in by this. Whole thing and the first preseason game by, TEXTED him, I, Go, bucky dang he looks little all of a sudden on a FIELD with nfl guys that it didn't.
Speaker 2: Look great but all you had to do was ask a couple of, questions, about.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah there was all the stuff.
Speaker 2: That was but could he have played IN the nfl at a. High level let's say, he's focused let's say he's clean. And committed did he have the traits to be able to be a? SUCCESSFUL quarterback i think he did give him.
Speaker 11: THAT style i think, he DID and i know he would have had to play a little bit more, on time a little bit more. On schedule but, the guy he had, huge hands he had a. Huge arm he was.
Speaker 5: Obviously ultra athletic.
Speaker 11: And creative he just needed you needed to kind of real that stuff in but we never got a chance because this stuff off, the field we never got a chance to see what that could have.
Speaker 2: Looked like it's like he wanted To, be farv but there's only One, far yeah and he.
Speaker 5: Was pocket farv because, he was, you know a much.
Speaker 3: Smaller Guy, all right we're Talking To.
Speaker 2: Daniel jeremiah he'll be the lead analyst on the draft coming up tonight AND That's nfl network starting at. Eight eastern the draft starts, where now let me get to. Your quote let me MAKE sure i got. It right You got browns Are Taking. Travis hunter uh feels one.
Speaker 11: Like that there's been a lot of talk in the last twenty, four hours which someone needs to write a book on the night before, the draft rumors that never.
Speaker 5: Come true, they're fantastic they really.
Speaker 11: Are fantastic but there's been. A, lot oh they could move out and maybe we'll all be shocked and.
Speaker 5: They do but it all feels like that's going to.
Speaker 2: Be, Traveled okay and then you your quote was he will major, in offense minor.
Speaker 3: And defense which has never.
Speaker 2: Been done do you agree with that approach that he should be more offense?
Speaker 3: THAN defense.
Speaker 5: I do i mean THAT'S how i. SEE him i think he's more impactful.
Speaker 11: ON offense i don't think, you know to me, a corner he's best when you kind of play, him off when he's. In zone when he's, an offman he can see, the picture he can. Set traps he can then go make plays on. The ball but this is Not like Pats. Or tan you got this guy and we will not worry about that side of, The field like that's not the style of corner. He is whereas, on offense every time he touches, the ball, he's IMPACTFUL and i can get the ball in his hands, a lot and he can help us, win GAMES and i can find ways for him to get. On defense, but historically when you've had players, and that nobody's done it to the level he did in terms of the volume. Of snaps but if it was a, major minor it was, always okay you have to learn. This defense be in the defensive meeting room and we'll sprinkle in a package of plays where it's a bubble screen, or reverse, you know a go and you don't necessarily have to meet, you know with. The offense this one is the FIRST time i can ever Remember where i've thought, THIS kid i want him full time.
Speaker 2: ON offense i still get the feeling somebody's going up To Get ashton GENT and i, YOU know i don't know what your intel is, on that but he FEELS like i could tell by that reaction, you went he's my.
Speaker 5: THIRD player i think there's three elite players in.
Speaker 11: This DRAFT and i Think cam ward is a really, good QUARTERBACK and i have no Problem with tennessee. Taking him but, to me the three like blue chip players in any draft are those Three Guys, Abdua Carter, it's hunter And, It's GENTY so I. Love genty, to me it's just around. The league you can get comfortable taking a running. Back THERE but I just i'd be curious to see if somebody's gonna really move a lot of resources for A running.
Speaker 2: But don't You think saquon opened people's eyes here that if, you now granted he was the missing piece On A super bowl, winning team whereas With the giants he, was good but they weren't. Any good So If ashton genty Goes, to jacksonville they're not. Very good or Would the patriots be squarely enough To go you know what let's let's take this guy if he's going to be, great there or Do the raiders wait and go let him fall into.
Speaker 11: OUR lamp i brought this up with a general manager the other day and, he goes, you realize like the four best running backs IN the nfl, last year we're all had in free ag and see like they were all out there.
Speaker 5: For you like another example.
Speaker 11: Of everybody talks about you can draft him in, any round and, he's like there's also going to be guys available in free agency.
Speaker 5: Every year so.
Speaker 11: His whole point was, great player we have him. Highly rated if, he's there we'll. Pick HIM but i just in terms of taking a bunch of resources and going to, get him, they were, you know not so much.
Speaker 2: Into that what is it like when you know that your organization is maybe starting to panic a. Little bit have you been in a situation where all of a sudden you're on the clock and the guy you thought you were getting is.
Speaker 11: Not there the one of The stories i've told in the PAST is i Was in baltimore and we WERE, a heloai not. A team that was. Our guy that's who we wanted. We had we wanted to put a big guy in Front Of, ray lewis and he was just a. Perfect, Pick Well phil savage at the time was the general manager Of The cleveland Browns and phil had been with Us, in baltimore.
Speaker 5: And so phil knew that we were going to like that type.
Speaker 11: Of player so they're on the clock just in front, of us and He calls ozzie and they have the Conversation and, phil's like we're Gonna take keloda Noadup and, ozzie, goes, okay, well yeah.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, he goes well.
Speaker 11: You want, a Trade, and ozzie, you know had he ends up kind of putting him, on hold and he's kind of looking around the room and, he's like they're Not Taking, helodi nada but he knows We Want. Holodi nada so he's trying to hold us up for a. Draft pick AND so i think it ended up being a sixth, round Pick, and ozzie's, you know obviously he's got so much wisdom and, was, like look we can call, their bluff but it's a sixth, round pick and that guarantees that we.
Speaker 5: Get him just give him the sixth round pick and we'll go up and.
Speaker 3: Get him we did some hot.
Speaker 2: TAKES here i want you to, Judge, these Marvin Give daniel jeremiah your, Hot.
Speaker 9: Take jackson dart he will go To The Los angeles rams at the end of the. First half and then my second, One was oh, MY gosh I think i. Forgot it it was. Too HOT oh I Think, Tyler, warren yeah going To the patriots with.
Speaker 11: Four, OVERALL yeah i think that would put you in round three of.
Speaker 5: Hot ones, YOU know i don't.
Speaker 11: Think that gets you to The, h yeah to the playoffs All the that, one's spicy, but Look, the rams that's.
Speaker 5: AN option I.
Speaker 11: When i talk to the guys in, THAT building i didn't get. The sense it kind of feels like they want to make a push. Right now you bring, you know you bring back your quarterback and you feel like you've. Got it you're this close to get to. The year so they want To help matthew not try and, you know eventually. Replace HIM so i would be surprised on, That. One warren it Just the patriots seem pretty locked in that they have to get better. At tackle they were just so bad there, Last year so that would surprise me.
Speaker 3: As well todd your.
Speaker 7: HOT takes i Had the broncos moving up from twenty To Take Boise State bronco ashton genty to Become A.
Speaker 11: Denver, BRONCO yeah i think that's there's a lot of talk about the two teams that could move up Are the broncos And, the eagles two teams that could. Be aggressive and With, the broncos that's not a. Hot take that's a. Legitimate take it's not a. Hot take that's a that's very, much mild like dipped.
Speaker 5: In, ranch yeh that's, not yeah.
Speaker 3: Legitimate, takes yeah, you know we can't. Sell that what about? This One the cowboys move up from twelve To grab tyler and hoping for The Next jason witten Or j novachek to.
Speaker 11: Join them what was the name of the guy that they TOOK from lsu? Tight end do you remember that from way back in.
Speaker 5: The, Day Oh. Stern, BARKER no i just Opened up.
Speaker 11: Pandora's bock There Was tony gonzalez and, this KID and I remember troyman was going to work out both, of them And Then tony gonzalez goes Onto the Hall of fame the other. Did not but we can get research. On that. That one i'll give you. Hot on that one your first one.
Speaker 8: NOT hot i have till a tongue of ioloa traded tonight to the Either, The, saints giants Forty, nine Ers.
Speaker 3: Or steelers yeah you just you almost literally.
Speaker 5: Floored, HIM yes i MEAN it's i could use some milk trying to tame, the.
Speaker 8: Okay the, Tongue, here yeah tame a tongue. Of, ioloa. Yeah vamas my other One Is trey hendrickson traded tonight to Either, The, packers Lions. OR commanders i like.
Speaker 11: THAT one i THINK that's i think. THAT'S spicy i THINK that's i think that's a. Fun one that's a.
Speaker 3: Fun one, All right the to a tongue, Of ioloa, YOU'RE not i.
Speaker 11: WOULD be i mean that would be incredible. For us we'll have an. Unbelievable night we'll all fall out of. Our chairs well that's, the take like you're trying.
Speaker 8: To balance is it better to be something that's like more close to reality or Something, like yeah that'd be crazy if.
Speaker 6: That happened because that's a, hot, Take right so that's how. That qualifies you Need A laramie tunzel night tonight because there's not enough great names in.
Speaker 3: This, Draft, LOOK dan i.
Speaker 11: Grew up in the home with a father as, a Pastor and i'm live, on Air and i'll be honest. WITH that i don't know what's in. THAT mask i don't. Know what i've never seen one of those. Things before you've never smoked, potpyfore NO but I but i've never seen. That, contraption yeah and, They're like, I'M like i don't even know how to respond, to THIS but i, was like he's a heck of.
Speaker 3: A tackle i can Tell you i'd take. Him high, oh, no, NO no i don't mean. That way, All, right paulie you're a hot Take.
Speaker 10: For daniel was that tight end of L Shoot, David, lafleur, YES yes i looked, it up. All Right the patriots will trade down out of four With. The Bears the bears will trade up to four To get carter Out Of.
Speaker 11: Penn State so i've heard there's again the last twenty, four hours a lot of chatter About the bears trying to be aggressive to, move up whether that was to three or.
Speaker 5: To Four and carter was THE name a?
Speaker 11: Lightly, HOT yeah i THINK it's i think, it's HOT but i think it's.
Speaker 5: IT'S shared i think that's that's.
Speaker 6: Floating Around jackson dart will be drafted About the saints.
Speaker 5: AT nine i don't.
Speaker 11: THINK so i Think the saints go quarterback in. Round two so that's A hot i'll give you a hot take on. That one by, The, way dan You asked kurt what game keeps him up? At NIGHT and i just feel a little bit slighted that you didn't ask me that.
Speaker 3: Same question i'm not. Done, yet.
Speaker 5: Okay Okay.
Speaker 3: Appalachian state it Was Eight.
Speaker 11: Western carolina it was a cold Day, in KULLOWE and i just had tough time holding on to the.
Speaker 5: Ball man we Lost The old mountain jug.
Speaker 3: That, day, fumbles, interceptions yes and your.
Speaker 2: Draft, stock yeah, that's tough the tough one. For us who plays quarterback the way you?
Speaker 11: Played quarterback who plays quarterback THE way i?
Speaker 5: Played? Quarterback man nobody.
Speaker 11: IN, the, Nfl unfortunately, Oh, Yeah dan dan was a little BETTER than. I, Was, yeah Unfortunately
Speaker 2: He's, DANIEL Jeremiah Nfl network, lead analyst