Speaker 1: Hours after that initial attack, two ballistic missiles were fired in the direction of the USS Mason from Yemen, where Iranian BacT Hutis operate. The missiles fell far short of the Mason, about ten miles away, but US ships in the region have been in the line of fire since the war in Gaza began, although this morning it is still unclear whether this attack on the commercial vessel, which is owned by a company led by an Israeli born shipping magnate, is part of these larger threats coming from these Iranian backed forces.
Speaker 2: So it's sort of breaking news overnight an Iranian back group firing missiles out a US warship. So we got that going on in addition to obviously the call it a ceasefire or pause there between Israel and Hamas. And then the capital of Ukraine underwent the biggest drone attack since the war began over the weekend.
Speaker 3: So many topics and subtopics to discuss with Mike Lyons who served the US military. They're in a variety of capacities and places around the world and is now a respected military analyst on CNN among other places. Mike welcome, how.
Speaker 4: Are you hey, guys? Great to be back with you.
Speaker 3: Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Let's start with Iran groups firing at our warships.
Speaker 4: What do you make of that? You know, Iran still is not deterred on any level. These are Iranians supported militia groups that but for Iran, they don't have any of this kind of capability. The fact that they could fire on a US warship is amazing on some level, but it just shows you the level of support that they get. We see soldiers that are been fired on in Syria and inside of Iraq as well, and you know, to kind of connect us to Israel a little bit, now looks like the tie goes to the Iranians to get their hostages out. We still have American hostages there are. It just gets back to our relationship with Iran is just completely dysfunctional. They're just not deterred on any level from a military perspective, and we just continue to chase them all around the globe here and let them, you know, kind of lead and dictate what's going on. It's the problem is what's going to happen. It is literally a matter of time before the Israelis start a war with the Uranians because of their nuclear capability, and at some point the Cans getting kicked down the road. But at some point we'd have to deal with Iran.
Speaker 3: Well, last time we talked to you were highly unsatisfied with the amount of return fire that we offered to the Iranian proxies when they were you know, shooting missiles and drones and whatnot at our guys in a variety of places.
Speaker 4: No, no, for sure, until Tehran feels the pain here, you know, we're firing back at proxy groups or AMO dumps or not military formations and not taking away their real capability to do this. But you know it's a willpower. Is that likely if we're going to fire a missile inside of Iraq? Iran, if we take down their drone capability or go after some some real military target inside, that would escalate And this administration is just unwilling to do that. So therefore Iran gets to pull all the strings. They are conducting a masterful proxy war on so many levels. They've got at least thirteen or fourteen different separate brigades that operate in the Middle East in excess of one hundred thousand troops. This is why Israel has the problem because it's for them to fight one hundred thousand troops there. If they ever got their stuff all together, it'd be real challenge from a military perspective. And on top of that, they're spread out in the North and with HESBLA, they're spread out in the West Bank with Fatah and other organizations that are there inside of Syria. And you know, it looks like now Hamas is just trying to get everybody to stop the fighting at least because they're trading off time for hostages, right. I mean, every day they get a break that they could release ten more hostages. At some point they're running out of hostages to give up, and Israel continues to say they're going to work, going to start every day that we delay right now, were unfortunately going to have more idea of soldiers killed, but that's not a factor into the equation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's one of the reasons wanted to have you on today because we're off all last week and I was following your Twitter feed and some of your comments on the so called cease fire. Is Hamas using this to rearm redig in Rea anything.
Speaker 4: Absolutely repositioned forces, likely sending more to the staff, knowing full well that the civilians are there to hide behind. With that tunnel organization they have, Israel has no choice for the ideaf positions there have got to kind of hold back a little bit and go into defensive positions. They have to protect themselves too, I think, and it's very difficult from a soldier's mind to kind of flip this switch to go from you know, warfighter to kind of peacekeeper on the defensive side. And now all of a sudden, let's say the deal falls through today and they go twenty four to forty eight hours and no hostage is released, They're going to have to make a very tough decision to start the war back again. So what does that mean for your an idea of soldier on the ground you you were waiting with that order, what those orders are? I think Israel has got to take that very slowly again, bring back air strikes, drone strikes, artillery strikes before you know, kind of re engaging in the kind of combat that we saw there before they stopped it. Israel had all the momentum and unfortunately and Hamas knew that, and that's why they got the deal they had and that's interesting to stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike, there's an incredibly strange disconnect I think in the discussion of this topic. I mean, around here, we consider it self evident that Israel decided Hamas must be eliminated as a threat period, not knocked back on their heels, and then let negotiations begin October seventh prove to them it's untenable to live side byside with Maas. Meanwhile, here in the New York Times, for instance, I'm reading that Joe Biden's hoping to alter the trajectory of the war and extend the ceasefire. Blah blah blah. There is a complete disconnect between that thought and the fact that it is untenable to live next to Hamas. Ever, again, nobody's talking to each other about this.
Speaker 4: Right And the thing is, you know, regime change is a military mission that the Ideaf can accomplish, but right now it's conflicting with the getting the hostages back, and there's going to be so much pressure internally on Israel to continue down that path. But the only way that Hamas changes is if they you know, destroyed militarily or are they surrendered. Let's say, if they decide to fight conventionally, but we don't expect that to happen. So this is the challenge that that they have. And again the pressure coming inside of Israel to continue to pause while they get hostages back, I think is so great and to there, you know, and to get humanitarian aid all those things that go in. And I would love to bring back to generals from World War Two and say this is how we're fighting comp war this day. What do you think of this? How do you think this would go? And each you know, the ally generals would probably say, well, you might as well just plan on spending the next ten years at war because you're never going to destroy your enemy if you keep starting and stopping like the things you're doing here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interesting perspective. I hadn't heard that you have that we don't have, because net Nyahu is saying, you know, the moment this is done, we're like full back into the war. But you're saying psychologically, it's it's just not that easy. You can't flip a switch and go back to it.
Speaker 4: No, it's not. And it's from a soldier's perspective, they're going to recognize that they're going to have to start an air camp pain first. Again, they're gonna have to soften back up the battlefield as Hamas has moved around. They're gonna have to go back to collecting intelligence because they're gonna have to bear soldiers at risk. You know, the IDF has got to protect this force as well. And I get you know, we're trading off IDF lives for hostages. Last. No one wants to make that decision, right, But that's really what's what's going to come down to here. Some I'm sure some Hamas soldiers are already in those tunnels heading south that Israel's gonna have to pursue them right down the strip. They're gonna be pursuing them right into Israel, right into Egypt. That's just a matter of time. So this is just prolonging the war when the time comes.
Speaker 3: Well, if our subject is willingness to commit yourself completely to defeating your enemy, no matter the costs, public opinion, that sort of thing. You've got Israel, then you've got Russia, which obviously does not share their their hesitance to do what they feel like they need to do in Ukraine. I'll hit you with a statement. Tell me if I'm right wrong or somewhere in between. This is a stalemate. Ukraine cannot drive Russia out of their territory.
Speaker 4: That's true at this point without any offensive weapons, and they were giving them enough equipment so they don't lose, but now they won't be able to go on any kind of offensive. You're seeing now the winner is now going to start taking hold in that part of the world, and it is to tell me, and I'm surprised that Russia hasn't marshaled its military in order, because they should have defeated Ukraine by now, just very frankly based on the size and the scope and their industrial capability and all the things. The advantages they have in their side that they haven't so good good on Ukraine. But the second the United States and Allied forces and NATO stops supporting Ukraine, then I think they are at risk again. So yeah, that's definitely true that Ukraine does not have that capability to move them out. This counter offensive is on for six months and now it's virtually stalled.
Speaker 2: Well, this will be argued throughout history probably, but if we had given Ukraine some of the stuff that we gave them late, would they have been able to win this war.
Speaker 4: Well, they would have had to them day one, right, you know, you have sixteens in the life. They would have to and it had have to have modern day warns, modern day equipment, a tackles, they would they would need all the offensive weapons as opposed to defensive weapons. The US does a good job of selling, you know, our allies defensive weapons because we really don't want to be accused of then getting them having to take those weapons and go on the offensive with right, That's that's kind of the downside there. But if they had better tanks, if they had more at tackles, they had deeper artillery, they had those kinds of things day one. Maybe because now there were eighteen months into it, almost two years into it, they would have this more of a competenty and capability to do this. But to try to do it now you're you're adding water, thinking you're going to get a tree in the next six weeks. It's just not going to happen.
Speaker 3: Military analyst Mike lyons, Mike, we appreciate the perspective very much. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Nice guys. Thanks for having Armstrong and