Speaker 1: It seems like everything comes in threes. In the National Football League, it seems to be waves. This season now seems like it's cut into thirds. There's three days in the NFL draft, and in free agency there's also waves. Well, we've had the first wave, but now it's the second wave. And also we have seen Chiefs go to Hollywood, but now Hollywood comes to the Chiefs. This edition of Defending the Kingdom, of course, brought to you by Ticketmaster, and we're calling it the second Wave. M cannon is in at running back. First down and goal to go, play action, fake right side, two touchdown, dudes on city, hook Toll Hardman, Hook Toll, Hardman. What the catch on the right side? A three yard touchdown? Passing over time? How everybody? I'm Mitch Holt's voice of the Chiefs along with senior team reporter Matt McMullen. And here we are in the second wave. And also we're gonna talk from Hollywood here. But before we do, so what do we have around the world.
Speaker 2: I've got ten today, a lot a lot of in the world. Today we got ten. So Isiah all over there? We go, Yes for Isaiah? For pop So Jody is listening from Joplin, but they pointed out that Plattsburgh is home even though they're in Joplin.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh Will checked in from Butte, Montana. You've ever been to Butte, Montana?
Speaker 1: I'm not, but I want to.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, Just a gorgeous place. When I worked for the Salem Kaiser Volcanos way back in the day, we drove up to Sioux Falls, then crossed all South Dakota, crossed all of Montana to end up in Oregon and crossing Montana. Like if people haven't done that before, It's incredible just driving across the state and Butte, Montana is along the route.
Speaker 1: So what's the college in Butte? I know the universities like Bozeman and Missoula, but there's a school in Butte. Yeah, there is.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to go to like one of those smaller Division two slash NIA football games in Montana. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I go to a Montana state game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd love you for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Dominic is listening from Saint Louis. Hello, Domin. Tommy checked in from Fargo, North Dakota. Suzie is listening from Wichita. Zach is from Sussex County, Delaware.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Michael was holding down the Fort in Deltona, Florida. Joel is in Anchorage, Alaska. As I have been mentioning several times, I'll be in Alaska here pretty shortly.
Speaker 1: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Ben in Columbia, Missouri.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Ben is eleven years old and a big Choice fan. He also wanted to shout out his uncle who lives in Joplin. What of Joplin representation here? Joplin, of course has a hot bed Yeah, it sure is.
Speaker 1: Yep. They think about the Kingdom every day in Joplin.
Speaker 2: Competing with Springfield to be the mecca.
Speaker 1: They are right there battle down in southwest Missouri.
Speaker 2: And my last one I heard from Craig who proudly represents the Kingdom where he works in Moline, Illinois and at home in Bettendorf, Iowa in the Crag Cities. Yup, and Craig had a trivia question for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, John Deere, by the way, in Moline, Illinois.
Speaker 2: He works for them. He works at their world head quarters.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think everybody that lives in Moline, Illinois works for John Deere. Way or another.
Speaker 2: Here's this trivia question for you. So what was the first high school football game played at Arrowhead m Yeah, this would be a good one for you to file away.
Speaker 1: But it has to do with the Quad Cities or no, no, not not related.
Speaker 2: Think he just happens to know it and was curious if you could guess it.
Speaker 1: Cool. I would have to guess, But it has to be something like a Kansas versus Missouri game. It's got to be Rockhurst on the Kansas on the Missouri side against I don't know me Ash on the Kansas.
Speaker 2: Sid Well it says that he according to Craig, it was the Missouri semi finals in nineteen seventy two. I think these are both Missouri schools. Do you want to guess?
Speaker 1: No, I got no clue.
Speaker 2: Southwest defeated oak Park. Wow, oak Park's on the Missouri side, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, North North, the Northmandy North and the North Women not yeah, the oak Park Northman and it was against Center of Central Central.
Speaker 2: Southwest Southwest Southwest defeated oak Park.
Speaker 1: Okay, that would have been the first year of Varahead too. It's nineteen seventy two. So yeah, some trivia. So the more you know, thanks Craig, Well, thanks to the Quad Cities and John Deere for high School Geha Field at Arrowhead and Trivia. Yep, that's awesome. Something happened. I was in Topeka yesterday on some other business matters and I passed a eighteen wheeler and it was the most awesome cab I've ever seen. It had the logos of all the Super Bowls. This was from Warsaw, Missouri. It's like this. It was into I think he's an independent trucker like hard Wick or hard Wick or somebody can they'll they'll follow up on this. But I almost like just stared at it, going at seventy five miles an hour down the freeway of looking at like it was the coolest painted Chiefs Kingdom truck.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: We've got to get a photo of this. We got to put it on our social because it's so cool, and I'll get some more information on it. But I just sit there and was like, well, wow, this is awesome. Now he does not have the Super Bowl fifty eight logo up yet, but he's got four and fifty four and fifty seven. It's really cool in the lombardies and it's like something like rolling through the Kingdom. It's this cool paint job of this independent truck caller. So it's I know we're gonna find more about this cat, but it was it was awesome.
Speaker 2: You know what that reminds me of is a few episodes ago, we had like the three Super Bowl Championship hats out and we talk about those three most recent ones because they happened so recently, But I need some Super Bowl four gear, like a Super Bowl four champion hat. Did they make hats back then when you won the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: If they did with the old mesh kind right, they had the cloth in front and then the mesh back round, that would be yeah, you'll see him now. Hank didn't wear them as much he did at camp. You'll see these pictures of Hank with the Mesh three quarterback, right. Yeah, and they made a comeback not that long ago, but that'd be the hat you'd have to get with kind of the football. And there's some logos with some throwback shirts. But yeah, definitely we got to get some shirts and hats from Super Bowl four and put them on display.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of that, did you see the new trophy case in the lobby.
Speaker 1: As well it's the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for those that don't. Now, there's a trophy case in the lobby here at the facility, and it had been outgrown because of all the success lately, because I think it only had maybe two Lombardies in it and then maybe one AOC Championship trophy. Now it has all four Lamar Hunt Trophies and all four Lombardies in there. It looks pretty great. Need to add some more space though.
Speaker 1: But if you're listing or in or watching, don't just kind of waltz in here and say, hey, where is it that that's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah he'll be, Yeah, he'll be. We'll be posting bond or someone will for you. But you know what, it's interesting full disclosure here. When we had the celebration at Union Station on the stage, and you remember when Brett Veach had the open spot on the end, Yeah, I should I slid the I slid the Lombardes over he goes. It was like the night before. This is typical Brett Beach, like late at night, right, dang, what's what's w you want? H Hey, I'm gonna move all move all the lombardies over and leave space. I love it because that was his thesis. Yeah, remember like, hey, this looks good for the next one. Uh huh, get the fifth one. But that was so BV and it was it was awesome. But yeah, there you go. You mentioned super Bowl four. Now we of course lost super Bowl one and then we lost super Bowl fifty five, but super Bowl one comes into play here as we kind of start this episode because we're yes, we're talking about the second Wave, but we also got a lot of Hollywood talk. Yep. Now the Chiefs, Okay, let's start. The Coach Reid actually has ties to Hollywood. His father was worked in Hollywood, right, He was an artist, he made sets. And even though Coach went to John Marshall High School, which is not in Hollywood, I think they played Hollywood in sports, but his dad worked on in Hollywood. So this is a little bit if Coach Red came to us from Hollywood, but the Chiefs have also gone to Hollywood. There was a guy you ever heard of, Fred Williamson, Fred the Hammer Williamson.
Speaker 2: Sounds kind of familiar, but I couldn't tell you much about him.
Speaker 1: This needs to be one of your like go down to the rabbit holes. Fred the Hammer Wiamson was a cornerback for the Chiefs and played in Super Bowl One. And he was way out of his time because he could really talk smack and he was talking about knocking out all the Packer receivers. He's and he had this forearm which is illegal.
Speaker 2: Now Max McGee is looking at him like he was kind of like boy dollar, Max mczeery and to be gone.
Speaker 1: And so Fred was somewhat of a sanguine character and really good athlete. And ironically he got knocked out of Super Bowl one. But and the Packers you can see it on NFL films, were kind of they were going after Fred. But Fred, after his career ended with the Kansas City Chiefs, became an actor and I bet I was counting like his filmography. I think he was in like either he was in close to a one hundred and twenty five films.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's over the place if you research Fred Williamson, Fred the Hammer Williamson. Now, my favorite role of Fred the Hammer Williamson was the police captain in startskinin Hutch. You remember the parody of Starkin Hutch. Sure, yeah, Yeah, he's the guy of.
Speaker 2: And so he had like big roles. He wasn't just like an extra.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, this guy's got big roles. Go back and go back and check this guy out. Fred Williamson was a deal and he's awesome. It starts Get Huch right, so he's gonna anyway, watch it. It's not the TV starts Gin Hutch. It's the Ben Stiller Owen Wilson remix, which is hilarious. It's one of my favorite movies. There's so many awesome lines in it. But Fred the Hammer Williamson has a prominent role in that. He was in Super Bowl one with the Chiefs and then John Amos was a famous actor and he got cut by the Chiefs. Actually, I think he lasted a couple of days and Stram goes, you want to play football, but you're not a football player or something. But anyway, Johnny Amos became very well known in both film and television and he wanted to be a Chief but didn't last very long. So there was some moves of the Chiefs going to Hollywood. For sure, Fred the Hammer Williamson would be the valedictorian. That discussion. But now Hollywood comes to the Chiefs and here we go. We prior to Gus Johnson give him the Hollywood name. He was Marquise Brown, but he is Hollywood Brown. He wants to be known as Hollywood Brown. Number one draft pick of the Ravens in twenty nineteen, he requested a trade. He went to the Arizona Cardinals. But now he's a Kansas City chief. Hollywood, Florida is his hometown. Hence the nickname was a big play against k State when Gus Johnson didn't know how to pronounce is this Marquise, Marquis or Marcus, so he just calls him Hollywood and it's stuck. But what do you think Hollywood Brown is now in the Chiefs Kingdom?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think we deserve some credit for this happening because our last episode was recorded on Thursday morning, and we mentioned that we're only going to talk about what has happened already. I'm sure something new will happen as soon as we record this, and what do you know, Thursday night, there are are reports out there that we signed Hollywood Brown, and Mitch and I are like ecstatic about it, super excited, but it's also like, of course, this happens hours after we record our episode, and we live in a weird world where we can't comment on things until they're official, so we couldn't even talk about it until what Monday. But yeah, our episode goes out on Friday. Don't even mention Hollywood Brown. So if we had not recorded, well, we were testing Thursday night. At least we gave the disclaimer exactly. But if we had not talked about if we had not done our show on Thursday, who knows if we would have signed anybody. We helped create that energy in the universe. But yeah, I love it. I mean Hollywood Brown. Let's talk about him. Five foot nine, one hundred and eighty pounds with great speed. Look at his pro day back in two thousand and nineteen eighteen. I ran a four to two seven, so great speed. But you look at his size and kind of his makeup as a player. If you've never watched him before, you might think, Okay, that's a guy that plays just the slot, but not the case. It's actually kind of interesting. Hollywood Brown in his career has primarily been an outside wide receiver, so it says a lot about his talent, his skill level and what he can do that. He has the body type of a guy you might think might just be a slot receiver, but he's actually not that he's a complete receiver. He has eight hundred and eighty four career snaps split out wide against oftentimes a team's top corner, then nine hundred and thirty nine snaps out of the slot in his career. He can stretch the field vertically. We all know that that deep threat with that speed and what he can do in terms of getting down the field quickly, but he also is really effective making plays on those short underneath routs. And look back at his best season in twenty twenty one, his thousand yard campaign with the Ravens. He had ninety one catches that year, well sixty nine of them occurred either behind the line of scrimmage or within nine yards of the line of scrimmage, and he had more than three hundred yards after the catch on those plays. So this is a guy that sure is a deep threat that's important can take the top off the defense back in twenty twenty one, he had four touchdown grabs of more than twenty yards, But he can also make plays in space and make guys miss underneath, which is very exciting. I think he's really, in a lot of ways the prototypical, perfect kind of wide receiver for what Coach Reed wants to do.
Speaker 1: A couple things caught my eye and we've played against him. He had a buck over a buck of receiving in the twenty one game in Baltimore where we had the late fumble. We're on the way to win the game, we lose thirty six thirty five. But a couple of things when you do the deep drive into Hollywood Brown that gets you excited. One in that twenty one year, and the twenty one year is the one that pops off the surface, right. He had a four digit year receiving yards, and he had a full year with Lamar Jackson, but he had twenty three targets on third and eight plus that year. He had fourteen catches of those twenty three for first downs. They're only two players better in the NFL than Hollywood Brown in that category, and those weren't all just go routes. Okay, So that tells you a reliable third down receiver third and eight plus, which has been a little bit of a void the last two years. That's one that catches your eye most recent history. And of course Arizona went through a lot of quarterback injuries and Kyler Murray's missed so much time. But last year, three goal to go targets for Hollywood Brown with the Arizona Cardinals and three touchdowns. Now to compare that, think of Rashie Rice, he had four gold to go targets, he had four touchdowns. Think of the game in Germany, right, But Hollywood had three goal to go targets and three touchdowns. So this is complementing your point, meaning, and this is what Hollywood will have to do in this offense. Anybody that has a wr by your name in this Andy Reid Patrick Mahomes offense must be able to at some point and as soon as you can get there, the better to be able to be a slot receiver, inside receiver on trips, X receiver, Z receiver, a slot motion receiver, jets fake jets. That's how he won Super Bowl fifty eight. I mean, so it looks like the fact that Hollywood Brown can play all of those roles, and statistically there have been times he has done exactly that should be the one thing that should get the Chief Kingdom most excited.
Speaker 2: And this is a player who I don't think has been fully unlocked yet. To your point, he even mentioned as such in his press conference where he thinks he's shown a lot of things in the NFL, but he has a chance to really put it all together here because of the circumstances and the environment. And think about his time in Baltimore. So really good player in Baltimore, had that great twenty twenty one season, notably, but that was the Ravens offense that was built around running the football. They ranked thirtieth in the NFL and net passing yards per game during his three years there, and even in twenty twenty one, they were thirteenth in the NFL in net passing yards per game, easily the highest ranking they had during that three year stretch. The Ravens didn't throw the football a whole lot. They're built around running the football, and he still put up good numbers there. And then, like you said, in Arizona, I mean, the idea there was to pair him back with Kyler Murray, who he played with in college. But Kyler was hurt for a good part of both of those seasons, so kind of a weird situation quarterback wise in Arizona, and he still put his best foot forward. I think during his two years there he led the Cardinals and catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns when you combine his two seasons, So a really productive player despite some tough circumstances in both places. And this is the perfect circumstance for him. Come to Kansas City, play for coach Red and play with the best quarterback in the NFL in a pass centric offense.
Speaker 1: And he's the first player in NFL history to have two forty plus yard touchdowns in his very first game. Going back to that twenty nineteen season when he was the first round draft pick of the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 2: But rist receiver taken two, I believe in.
Speaker 1: The twenty fifth pick. I think, yeah, sure it was. And that was the McCole Hardman Draft, and what happened that was weird. That was a weird night in the Chiefs kingdom from a standpoint of what happened before the draft. But that's another matter. Okay, So Hollywood Brown is now a Chief, Tommy Townsend's now at Texan makes it easy. He wants number five. Give him number five. We're ready to roll and let him ruin. But here's the word we'd give to Hollywood is okay, your life will start with pats OTAs aka the PoTA I call him Pat's OTA's on his own that leads you into the chiefs OTAs, which I would guess would be about as hard as you worked at camp with the Arizona Cardinals. And then when you hit Saint Joseph, be ready to rock because when coach, we've seen this. We saw this with Rice last year, we've seen it with Juju, We've seen it with others who joined the group, and hey, you're gonna get CALC one, two and three in the first semester. So just get ready because if you buy in, just like Rashie did last year, you'll realize, wait a minute, I can do things in a quick fashion that I wasn't even sure I could do. So to get full bloom, as you've alluded to with Hollywood, Brown, it's up now to Hollywood. Just lock in, know every position, do it as fast as you can, and get on the fast track and be ready to work. Because the Chiefs were winning because they were.
Speaker 2: Well And did you see that Patrick's Instagram that they're already together. I mean, that's how you fire up Chiefs Kingdom. Right is, He's been a Chief for like twenty four hours and he's already working out with Patrick in Hollywood, works out in Texas. That's what he said during his press conference. So it's going to work out perfectly, hopefully right there. Get some early work done with the offense with Patrick Mahomes, and then when OTAs begin here in Kansas City at some point in May, has a bit of a head start, it can start immersing himself in this offense. But that's why Ota is, That's why this time of year is so important. It's tough for the Chiefs. It's a good problem to have, but it's tough because their offseason is like a month and a half shorter than everyone else's. But when you're a team like Kansas City, you have a chance to make some history this upcoming year.
Speaker 1: Go for that.
Speaker 2: Three Pete. Guys want to be a part of that. Guys are eager to get back to work, and as we saw with that ig post, those guys are already working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ed ViBe's already here. It was even there at the end of the Super Bowl celebration basically, and it's been carried on ever since then. But it's an example of the second wave of free agency. The first wave is the when in the last episode, you know, the legal tampering period and the New York Stock Exchange, where everything just goes crazy and people are yelling at each other and signing guys and going nuts. But the second wave is when things calm down and the Chiefs have done a really good job in the second wave. When you look at last year, I mean Drew Trank will signed about this time of the year. Mike Edwards was very close in that time. When you look at and the other thing that we want to always try to kind of emphasize you and I is what's new, what's the new shiny thing? Well, you also like to keep the guys that you want, and the Chiefs did that, of course with Chris Jones and doing that contract. We discussed that they did it with Drew Tranquil, but they also did it in the second wave. Because there's three guys that come to mind here. Turk Wharton has re signed in this so called second wave. Derek Noddy is signed, Mike Panal was a few days earlier than those guys. But the point is with Chris Johns, and you're going to draft some of you guys or put some free agents in there. Your inside tech guys are ready to go.
Speaker 2: A lot of continuity along the interior of the Chiefs defensive line from last year and really from previous years. Think about Derek Noddy. I think one of the more underappreciated players on this team. He's played in ninety eight games over the last six seasons and started eighty six of them, and he plays a role on the defense that's very difficult to quantify, Like he's never going to have a ton of really big stats like sacks and pressures and all that, but he's occupying space, he's defending the run, and he's one of the players inside that helps make the entire operation go. And as we've mentioned, we think this was the best defense in the NFL last year. Well, he was truly right in the middle of it. So great having Derek Naughty back. Just does a lot of dirty work. As I mentioned that, it's hard to put into numbers, but if you just watch the games, you can tell why he's so valuable and why Bretviach wanted to bring him back. And Turk Wharton so seventeen pressures and.
Speaker 1: Do this with Derek. I mean, if you message him, where you see him in public or whatever, just thank him. I mean that guy. You're right, he has done so much to help this team win championships and he's been a part of all three that unless you really watch the video, I don't think we can fully appreciate what Derek Naughty does.
Speaker 2: Sure, and you have to be a certain kind of guy, like wired a certain way to really be committed to that role. And he's that guy. So that's why he's back here in Kansas City. Turk Wharton also a fun player. I always think of you when we're talking about Turk Wharton because way back in twenty twenty, when training camp was at the Chiefs facility due to COVID restrictions, Turk was just a UDFA out of a Missouri rawa And you and I were watching training camp trying to think who would be maybe making this team that people weren't talking about, and we saw Turk Wharton out there just bawling out, just looking way better than a UDFA should more, Like, are we sure this guy wasn't drafted? Like where did this guy come from? And what a career he's had here in Kansas City over the last several years. Last year really solid year for him. Had seventeen pressures, five quarterback hits, two sacks. He logged at least twenty five defensive snaps in each of the Chiefs four playoff games, so a regular contributor during the Super Bowl run. And what's interesting about him, he's two hundred and eighty pounds, so he's kind of a tweener along the defensive line. He'd be kind of like a big defensive end, but kind of a small in terms of weight defensive tackle. But he's still athletic that he can kind of do everything. And that's what Steve Spagnola wants as a versatile player who can kind of be a chess piece along the defensive front. And that's Turk Wharton. I mean, he can play the three techts where he normally is, but you can line him up over the nose. He could be an end in a three man front and even line up as an edge outside in a four man front, So he can do a little bit of everything. The largest legs and quads I have ever seen on a human being during training camp, he gets like nine egg oblets. But it's paying off glad to have Turk Wharton back in casey.
Speaker 1: And he makes an explosive. He can make a flash play. Now you go back to his Washington game twenty one, that's as big time of play as you would want.
Speaker 2: Interception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was awesome. I mean and for a defensive lineman to make that play. Yeah. And so he has the ability athletic ability to make a play like that. We've seen him do it time and again. And yes, you miners and you engineers and architects and from Missouri s and t in Rala, your only player to ever make the NFL is a very very valuable player signed in the second wave here of free agency in the twenty twenty fourth season. Then you also lose guys in this time. Jody Fortson is now Miami Dolphin. And you and I both were you know, loved Jody, and gosh, there was just such potential there. It was just a matter of staying healthy. We wish him the best in Miami.
Speaker 2: Very similar deal to what we were saying about Turk Wharton. Every training camp we'd watch Jody and he's the ultimate example of the guy that put the work in and wasn't in the limelight early on, but was committed to being here and committed to being the best player he could be on the practice squad for a couple of years, and then to earn your shot and to make the team out of training camp. That's what it's all about, and Jody helped us win over the years. Wishing him nothing but the best in Miami. Sometimes when you've had injuries, it's a good chance for you to get off to a fresh start in a new place. And I'm hopeful that he can have a great rest of his career. But Jody's an awesome guy, an awesome player, and wish him nothing but.
Speaker 1: The best, absolutely, And then we'll close out this way. The other part of the second wave kind of leads into a third wave, and the third wave, we're kind of will enter this over the next several weeks, and then maybe the third wave b would be after the June one cuts, because then there's a whole bunch of dudes that kind of come flying out there. But let me just give you some examples of guys who have not been signed and have are just out there or outlight out, light outright released that not saying they will. But just just think about these guys a second. I got like Max Sharp ring in Cincinnati. Now I'm talking about guy who would play obviously fitting the cap, would be your sub offensive lineman. Now Mike Kellyando is back on the roster, but to lose Nick Alighretty is to lose basically your sixth man in basketball, so valuable. It can could play center, garden, tackle, and then we saw him big man touchdown. He can be tackle over tackle. That role has to be filled going into the twenty twenty fourth season. But I'm just giving you examples of veterans who are out there who the Chiefs who down through the years have been able to pick up and get under, you know, team friendly contracts. Another one is a native of Abilene, Kansas, and he was a great player for the Bears, but Cody Whitehair was released. Now Cody Whitehair can play center and guard, super smart and tough, and I was just looking at how many starts he had, like eighty eight starts maybe with the Chicago Bears. But he's out there just waiting for someone to take him. Another case staters Dalton Reisner. Now Minnesota may take him back. Remember he was in Denver as a longtime starter, but he's a guy that's there unsigned. And then defensively, well, another offensive lineman, Max Garcia of New Orleans was with New Orleans, played for Denver sixty three starts. But a guy that could be a backup center guard or become the sixth man or seventh man on your offensive line as a veteran presence and can be more help maybe for a one year Morris and then a defensive player's a manual log. But old friend, old friend, he's at twenty nineteen. Man, he was a big part of this team, got hurt that season, but he's out there now. Will he be resigned by Miami don't know. But that's an example of the second wave that leads into a third wave of free agency. That it's almost like the second day of the draft and the third day. We got all hyped up about the first day, and then the value comes in the second and third day. Well, many times of the value in free agency comes in this second wave or third wave.
Speaker 2: And in both instances, whether it be the second wave or third wave of free agency and the latter days of the draft, that's where you become a champion. In my opinion, because we have our big money, big ticket guys already. It's a matter of supplementing those players with players around them who can help push you over the top. And we've done that in recent years really well. To your point, how about signing Donovan Smith on May fourth last year, or Richie James on April eleventh, even bringing back guys from last year. Jared McKinnon didn't resign until May second, Justin Watson has resigned on April fourteenth. Dean Bush joined this team on April third. So I mean, we all fall into the trap of watching the first week of free agency, and some teams throw so much money around and bring in a whole bunch of players, and that's exciting. That's exciting for those teams, But for the Chiefs, they found a way to kind of pick their spots, and in this case, Hollywood Brown was that big guy that they brought in during the first week of free agency. But just because that first week is over doesn't mean that Brett Viach is done, doesn't mean that this team is a finished product by any means, because you kind of survey the landscape, see who's still out there, see who maybe didn't get that huge deal they were expecting. Drew Trankl was a great example of that.
Speaker 1: Last year.
Speaker 2: He's talked about it like the linebacker market fell a certain way. The Chiefs were looking for a linebacker, and he's like, I'm gonna go to Kansas City and hopefully win a Super Bowl, and look what happened. It was a great investment on his part. So if you're one of those players that are still out there obviously looking for a job, the Chiefs are a team that's so good at again seeing what's out there after that first wave and figuring out what makes the most sense. I'm excited to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's why I use the offensive line not the sexiest conversation among football fans always, but we also know Coachriid always talks about the trenches and look good this offensive line has been in these back to back Super Bowl championship years. There's only eight offensive linemen on the roster right now, okay, and to lose what we lost, That's why I'm saying this second and third wave becomes very important for that room in particular, because you know you'll draft to that room, but who's out there that you can get as a value pick who becomes possibly the Drew Treng of twenty twenty four for the offensive line.
Speaker 2: And that's why Brettviach makes the money that he does. That's why he's the best GM in the game is he finds those guys. And what's so fun to learn about with our scouting department is how they are working year round on that kind of stuff. I mean, they have lists of guys at all times, like these guys are available. These guys are players that we've been interested in for a long time. And it's no mistake that Hollywood talked about this, that the Chiefs were interested in him during the draft back in twenty nineteen and it didn't work out. But all these years later, you remember that, You remember that Hollywood Brown is a player that we were interested in. And that's the case as well for free agents that are around. It's still available around this time. You can think, hey, maybe last year we were interested in that guy didn't work out, but he's out there right now. That's where the comprehensive outlook that our scouting department has is so important.
Speaker 1: And our scouting department includes the pro personnel staff. We don't talk about them as much. We talked more about the college guys, and but you look at a tim Terry and the guys that work on that pro side. We crop dust this right, we look at it and then move on to the other thousand things we have to do. They live it. Oh yeah, and they've got the little man. I mean, they've got the room up there with they you know, they're probably chuckling at me mentioned these offensive linemen. They go, well, there's like fifty five others. But those are just examples of how the second wave and third wave. To your point, and we'll put is how you win championships. So pay attention to the second wave and the third wave of free agency. Plus, we've had chiefs that have gone to Hollywood, but now Hollywood comes to the chiefs.