Speaker 1: Has there ever been a worse time to buy a house in America? Rates are at their highest levels in more than twenty years. Inventory is at record lows, Competition has been intense. Home purchases are the most expensive they've been relative to renting in a couple of generations. In the face of this mess, what's a potential home buyer to douse is a very very fine house. As it turns out, there are some ways you can make the process of buying a home better or at least less bad. I'm Barry Riddelts and on today's edition of At the Money, we're going to discuss how to buy a home in today's market. To help us unpack all of this, let's bring in Jonathan Miller of real estate appraisal and data firm Miller Samuel. For the past thirty seven years, Jonathan Miller's monthly and hortally housing sales, data and rental reports must read in the industry and have made him the most quoted man in real estate. Jonathan Miller, Welcome to At the Money. Let's just jump in to the first question. How challenging is it to buy a house today? In twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly difficult home buyers. Not only prices haven't really come down given the spike and mortgage rates, because inventory is absent from the equation, buyers don't have a lot of choices. So as a result, what we're seeing just over the last year, as rates have been rising, bidding wars have been rising.
Speaker 1: Even as rates have gone up.
Speaker 2: Yes, because the number one thing to look at really as a metric is this supply inventory and inventory. The rates began rising with the FED pivot a year and a half ago, at one of the steepest climbs in four decades. That it's really challenging the consumer.
Speaker 1: So before we get into even more specific data and details, let's just talk a little bit about psychology. If you're a buyer, how should you approach the idea of purchasing a house from a psychological perspective? Where should your head be at? Well?
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing is to look at this as a long term transaction. I always look at housing as a long term asset. There have been various cycles where people were thinking of it as a stock and it's just not that liquid. So you know, you buy it, you hold it. The average person, you know, the numbers are kind of ranging. The average person stays in a home seven to ten years on average, so you're really looking at it from a much longer window. And within that window, you know, markets trend up and down. You know, there's various cycles, various reasons. I think that's one of the most important things to look at to treat the asset as it actually is.
Speaker 1: So you and I have discussed what a buyer should pay for a home, and you say something that's kind of counterintuitive, and I'm guessing it's based on that, Hey, we're going to be here for ten years or longer. If you pay a couple of percent over what you think is a reasonable price. In the long run, it doesn't matter, does it.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't, because you have to remember what the asset is. It is something that you're going to use and live in and occupy every day as an owner occupied house. In my circumstance a little over a year ago, I actually bought a house for thirty six percent above the list price, but when I do the details, I probably only paid ten to fifteen percent above, and who cares. So I'm going to be there for a long time. It's exactly what we wanted. I don't look at it as that kind of investment that you would track closely. And we beat thirty people in a bidding war.
Speaker 1: That's unbelievable. So let's talk a little bit about bidding war. What sort of advice do you have if someone finds a house they really love, you don't want to pay double what it's worth. You'll never get your money out of it, at least not in a reasonable time. But what are the guidelines for when it's you against a couple of dozen people and everybody wants this house on this block, in this neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Well, I think human beings need reinforcement. So you probably are going to have to lose two or three bidding wars before you realize the condition of the market. And the condition of the market is that there is a chronic inventory shortage in nearly every housing market in America.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that for a second. And again, you and I have talked about we've underbuilt single family homes in the United States for fifteen years following the financial crisis. Then you had this ma massive surge of second and third home buyers during the lockdown of the pandemic, and now we have this the number I'm familiar with, sixty percent of homeowners have a mortgage of four percent or less. Eighty percent of homeowners with a mortgage have a mortgage of five percent or less. That creates massive lock in. No one wants to go right. How long can this inventory shortfall last?
Speaker 2: Well, I look at there's two solutions for inventory, and they're not very one's not realistic, and one isn't good. The first idea is that rates fall back down. And when you're talking to many homeowners in our appraisal business, there is a broad expectation that rates, after going from just below three to almost eight percent, that they're going to settle back down. And I don't disagree with that, except they're not going to settle back down to three or four.
Speaker 1: Percent, five or six kondom be lucky.
Speaker 2: If for lucky, it's probably high fives, low sixes. Given that unemployment is still very low, the economy is still vibrant, so I wouldn't expect a massive rate cut. It would be my just using logic. No, I have no inside understanding. So when you have rates drop, each time the rates sort of incrementally drop, homeowners become sellers and that adds a little bit of inventory, but not enough, but it every little bit helps. The other thing to look at would be some adverse negative event that would cause the FED to cut rates more sharply, and that would be a recession. Of course, we've been talking about a recession coming in six months for the last two years, so you know that seems uncertain. The problem is then you get job loss, right, and we have job loss, that's less people that will buy homes.
Speaker 1: Right, it makes a lot of sense. So we've been talking about mortgages and mortgage rates. I've always been shocked whenever I looked at your reports at the rise of the cash purchase. This used to be a mostly high end sort of thing, and now it seems to be working its way down the economic strata of homes tell us about what's going on with all cash purchases.
Speaker 2: So cash has been the method of purchase that's gotten a lot more popular in the last couple of years. I don't want to give the impression that hey, everybody's just paying cash that need some mortgage, But what the way to think of cash is the higher you go in price, the higher the probability the purchase is a cash transaction.
Speaker 1: So ten million and up, those are all cash purchase.
Speaker 2: Eighty to ninety percent cash.
Speaker 1: What about five million and up?
Speaker 2: Five million and up is about the same. It's way Yeah. When the people that are at the high end, that are more susceptible to higher rates are generally the two to five million range because those people aren't paying cash, they're getting financing, and that market has been much more challenged. The lower you go in price, the more dependent you are on a mortgage. One quick example is in Manhattan, we had a situation this year where year every year sales fell about thirty percent, but sales for cash buyers fell twenty percent and for finance buyers fell forty or higher percent. So it has more of an impact, but cash doesn't bypass the challenge of high rates.
Speaker 1: So I used to think of four or five million dollars as like a big spectacular house on the water, cash purchased by a very wealthy individual. You're implying that two to five is now no longer the very rich. That's the upper class, upper middle class. What is that range of homes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know upper middle class are lower upper class is really two to five and they tend to be dependent on financing. We have a market in the New York region known as the Hamptons, and we call it the Hampton's Middle two to five million, five are higher versus one million or two million or lower. The Hampton's Middle is much the most challenged part of the market because those buyers are much more impacted by the spike in rates over the last year and a half than the five and over, which are more cash.
Speaker 1: What about working with the real estate if you're a buyer, how useful are real estate agents?
Speaker 2: So I think one of the things they don't get credit for, and I know this from personal experience quite often, is they provide a buffer between the parties. Because many people, when confronted with the opposition, there's no buffer. They're intimidated, they may end up not doing well in the negotiation. That's not everybody, but at least in my experience, that's that's the service that is provided to have a third party to insulate you from direct negotiation.
Speaker 1: What about those negotiated offers. What we need to know about the way to make an offer that's most likely to resonate with the seller.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think a lot of people would ask this question. They think it's all about the price. Hey, you know, the higher the price you are, you know, you offer, But it really is the terms. So it's how much finance? What does your financial situation look like? How likely are you to be able to close at this price? You know, is there going to be a problem. And I'm not saying that that. You know, price isn't important, but it's probably parallel to the terms of the deal itself. You know, if someone comes in and makes an astronomical offer, you know, the sellers, you know, if that doesn't close, the momentum of the house on the market and it's all lost because the transaction starts over. So really your focus is presenting yourself as someone that can afford it, and that brings in whether you're proved for financing.
Speaker 1: So do that in advance and come with a clean offer with a lot of not a lot of contingencies.
Speaker 2: Right in this market, you know, it's pretty common now to have financing contingencies. A year and a half ago that was non existent. It was you know, there was no hair on the deal, so to speak. But you know, less is more always when you're negotiating. I think in this market, buyers think that they have more leverage over the seller than they actually have. So for example, in the market the suburbs that surround Manhattan, the share of closings just in the third quarter that we're bidding wars was forty to fifty percent. Wow, So half the sales, nearly half the sales are selling above the asking price. So as a buyer you don't have a lot of strength over the seller at this current time because nationally, we're in this incredible inventory situation where inventory is devoid of being president on the market.
Speaker 1: So we've been talking about existing homes, what about new construction, either buying a plot of land and building your own house or working with a spec builder who's in the midst of constructing a house. How do we navigate those circumstances as buyers.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because existing inventory is so low that many markets have a disproportionately high share of new construction, even though it's still a small amount, but more typically you expect ten to fifteen percent of most markets are new construction. And one of the things that large national builders have been doing is buying down and interest rates, which has been very well received.
Speaker 1: To find that what do you mean buying down interest rates?
Speaker 2: So let's just say that prevailing thirty year fixed is seven and a half percent. They'll buy down the rate. So what that means is that the buyer, when they buy the house, the mortgage rate is five and a half percent. That's not amazing and that has been very successful. But not all builders can afford to do that. They need scale the financial wherewithal. But when you do that, you're reducing the resistance to the purchase.
Speaker 1: Huh. Really really fascinating stuff. So to sum up, it's still a seller's market. However, as a buyer, you have a lot of things you can do to improve your chance of successfully purchasing a house. Come in with all your ducks lined up, make sure your cash and financing is in place, Try not to hang too many contingencies on your offer, work with a good agent who knows the area, and don't be surprised if you're going to pay a little over the asking price for the house of your dreams. You can listen to at the Money every week, finding in our master's and business feed at Apple Podcasts. Each week we'll be here to discuss the issues that matter most to you as an investor. I'm Barry Ritolts. You've been listening to At the Money on Bloomberg Radio.