Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Good morning, everybody, and welcome to Counterpoints. Ryan. How are you doing. You're in the studio making me look bad?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't read the memo, so here I am in the studio and making sure everything is locked down and ready for us when we get back in here officially next week. Got some crew in here too, so we're in good shape.
Speaker 3: Thanks for checking in on things.
Speaker 5: But it's a great shot actually, and you still have the winter monitors behind you, so it really works out well. Because there's about seven inches of snow in DC, which usually it's really warm outside when we have the winter monitors on. Yes indeed, all right, so we have a big packed show for everyone today. We're going to be starting with the tragic wildfire that broke out in Palisades yesterday outside of Los Angeles. Then Donald Trump held a wild press conference. Will break down all of the key elements from it for you. Mark Zuckerberg obviously, as Crystal ow Ands Sager covered yesterday, changed the free speech policy on Meta and so other things as well. But the reaction to it is what we're going to cover today because it's been very, very interesting. Kevin O'Leary is poised to by TikTok. Obviously, oral arguments in the case at the Supreme Court will begin on Friday, so this is a very high stakes game. Congestion pricing has gone into effect in New York City, and man, the reactions there, and there is a lot to talk about actually with that entire story, and I'm curious to get your thoughts on it, Ryan, The reactions have been fascinating to watch, and Ryan, we're also going to do updates from Gaza. This is something that Donald Trump touched on at his press conference, and there's a lot more going on with the UAE and other countries as they look for some type of settlement there.
Speaker 3: And we have a guest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it might not be in this show that goes out on the podcast, but we're going to be joined by Ahmed Khan again. If you may remember, a few weeks ago, we had talked about how he had spent something like six months and managed to get his own shipment of aid into Gaza working with the on the ground organization ARENA. We'll talk to him about and he went in with the shipment, so we'll talk to him about like what he saw on the ground there. He also has been kind of at the forefront of a what is kind of a considered to be a niche issue, but it shouldn't be. There's something like twenty five to fifty thousand people in Gaza who need kind of critical medical care and all they need is permission from is to leave, and they have a hospital that is willing to treat them. Israel's blocking them and he's working on a lot of those cases. He's also been in Ukraine recently, so he's going to update us on a bunch of what he's seen.
Speaker 5: Fantastic well, let's start with the tragedy outside of Los Angeles and the Palisades, where thirty thousand people have been evacuated. Around three thousand acres have already burned, and the fire, as we come to everybody right now, is zero percent zero percent contained.
Speaker 3: There are two other fires.
Speaker 5: Raging in the area as well, but this fire, the images that are coming in are just We're going to put some of them up on the screen for everybody right now. Images are coming in right now and they are stunning. So if you were listening to this, what we're looking at here is just the hills in complete flames.
Speaker 3: People taking video.
Speaker 5: From Westalia, for example, just showing how close the blaze is down Ryan this footage that we've been seeing come in. I'm going to share another tab here. This is footage from KTLA from the perimeter of the fire. They've actually started clearing these. This is just shocking. People abandoned their vehicles because of the gridlock. Obviously it's a very la thing. They're now needing to get those cars, the abandoned vehicles that people left as they fled on foot out of the way by using a bulldozer, just so that the firefighters can get in and have access to to actually save lives and save property and contain the fire a little bit. But as of right now, it's not contained basically at all. What have you made of this just in the last you know, honestly, Ryan, twenty four hours as we started to see some of these horrifying images.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was talking to a few friends who live in Los Angeles last night and they said, you know, the winds were unlike really anything that they had felt before. These Santa Ana winds whipping through measurements have clocked them up to ninety nine miles per hour. They're expected, you know, to continue at that pace through much of today. It seems like it's been at least ten years since there's been there's there have been Santa Ana winds of that forest, and so they're picking up embers from fires, tossing them through the dry air, landing them on new rooftops, burning burning new houses, new fires sparking in, you know, throughout the Los Angeles area, creating a real kind of hell on Earth situation. Like you said, zero percent contained, seems like, you know, there were reports of a lot of fire hydrants running, running out of water, and the traffic, you know, on the best of days in Los Angeles is just brutal, absolute, you know, the most poorly designed urban area you can possibly imagine, and trying to imagine escaping raging fire with those normal traffic patterns in your way turning into panicked traffic patterns. You know, every one of those cars represents a family or a person who was fleeing their home and then believed that they couldn't make it anymore in their car and just left it right in the middle of the road, which of course then leads to you know, complete and total gridlock.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I do want to share one video of two men escaping because I think it's a glimpse into the experiences that a lot of people in California have had over the last twenty four hours. And it's apocalyptic. It's like a horror movie come to life. So let's take a look at this video. Here, let's get out of here.
Speaker 6: We tried, We tried, bro, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the mystery falls.
Speaker 3: Sorry brot oh true and right.
Speaker 5: What I think is especially horrifying about that video is you can see in real time the fire is spreading because they're obviously running through the embers that are falling like snow onto trees, onto houses, and it really does look like it looks like snow. It's snowing in hell essentially, like it's raining fire onto them. And you can see they're in the middle of How it's you know, spreading so wildly and why it's not contained.
Speaker 3: Just like a horror movie. I mean, it really looks like a scene from a horror movie.
Speaker 4: And it's unlike, unlike a lot of things, that's not sparing the rich either. You know, it's going after you, you know, properties worth you know, well well into the millions, uh, really rocking the city. It's well, you know, hopefully this these winds die down and they can get this under control and we don't have kind of a apocalyptic level damage despite the scenes that we're seeing, right.
Speaker 5: And so La Mayor Karen Bass is actually not in town right now, but immediately people have started to wonder about the twenty three million dollars that she had recently proposed as a cut to the fire department. This is the headline from back in April. You can see if you go down here. She proposed a decrease of about twenty three million dollars from.
Speaker 3: The LA Fire Department.
Speaker 5: And you know that for Karen Bass is going to be a huge, huge problem going forward when she gets back into town. Let me share another element here as well. A lot of people wondering understand, wondering, uh, this is a post on X where are our tax dollars going?
Speaker 3: As the city of Valet goes broke.
Speaker 5: One of the many questions we get this is from the account of the La City Controller, Kenneth Metcha. He says, the city just started a new fiscal year and if you want to know how the mayor and a majority of city council decreased her increased department's operational.
Speaker 3: Budgets see below.
Speaker 5: So what you're you're seeing on this chart, if you can make it out as a huge increase in the police budget. And as you go down you start to see, you know, decreases that are going to now come under the microscope. Public works is one of those that's uh, you know, there's a there's a big cut there.
Speaker 3: Fire. You can see that down towards the end.
Speaker 5: That's the second if you're if you're listening to this, indeed you see a significant cut out of the fire budget and ran the other thing I wanted to mention is you probably remember this. Obviously, the infamous company PG and E Pacific Gas and Electric ended up being on the under the microscope, just as Karen Bass's budget cuts likely will be in the Dixie Fire. To you, you were able to Wall Street Journal reporter wrote a whole great book about how PG and E they had They just had an updated all of their equipment, and that was like the literal spark in the Dixie Fire. And oftentimes, as we peel back the layers, this isn't just a force of nature. It isn't just an accident, It isn't just you know, there's there's usually some level as you're appeeling back of incompetence or corruption or human error that gets to the heart of this. And that's going to be the question moving forward.
Speaker 4: And if you step back kind of out of the it's it's I think it's very difficult to look at Los Angeles in particular from inside of our of our perspective as Americans, because it's sort of like fish and water, like it just kind of is what it is. But if you try to step back and look at it from outside the United States or or in a in a more objective way. What you see is a city that spends tens of millions of dollars on individual homes for individual people with the most you know, lavish artwork and swimming pools and luxury. Is that anybody could you know, possibly contemplate, say like two hundred, two hundred years ago, while starving kind of the rest of the city of needed public improvements so that they can so that people can actually move around efficiently, and so that the and so that public services are decently funded. And so we often say, well, you know, can we afford you know, an effective fire department, Can we afford you know, better schools. The question that you might have to ask about Los Angeles in particular, maybe the United States more generally, can we afford this billionaire class? Because we are the ones that have produced that billionaire class. It's our society, it's our system. We are somehow deciding or through not deciding, allowing this flourishing of this extraordinary inequality that is sucking up all of the resources that could be put in other directions. And the question is can we afford it? And when you look at what's happening in Los Angeles now, to me, it says, no, we can't afford it.
Speaker 5: I mean, it gets harder to afford it in that sense, Ran, when you're also allowing the billionaires to corrupt the system and to just live in a sheer state of oligarchy, which is sort of it's tragic. It's tragic comedy in California because you know, tragic comedy when there's not actual human life on the line, because you look at it and you're like, this is you have the system of referendums, like you have as close to direct democracy as this in the United States, and yet the billionaires really run the show. So this may be a total force of nature situation that would not be uncommon or crazy. But California has seen some PGNE is a company that gets just enormous benefits from the government.
Speaker 7: We've seen, you know.
Speaker 5: Massive slashing from Karen Bass fire was second to last on that list of the highest cuts. So yeah, there's there are going to be a lot of significant questions I think asked here rightfully so about the oligarchy in California.
Speaker 3: Ran.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're entering a phase where the climate is going to be more difficult for our human population to live in and more expensive, and we're going to have to decide whether or not we want to invest in that or else, whether we want to see it just burned down in front of us.
Speaker 5: Horrib Well, well, let's hope that things get better today, although it's not looking like they will.
Speaker 3: But stay tuned. Will have a lot more to come on this story, for sure.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump met with a media for over an hour yesterday describing his plans for military slash potentially economic coercion against Panama, against Greenland, poked some fun at Canada along the way. We're going to talk about a bunch of what he said, but let's start by playing some of the key clips and I'm going to share these. Bear with me.
Speaker 5: I'm a bit news this was, by the way, this was like a wild press conference that he held in Palm Beach yesterday. It was like very I saw one one journalist post on X like the Trump era is back. It did remind me a lot of those press conferences he held during the transition in twenty seventeen, before he was inaugurated in twenty seventeen, and some of the early press conferences in that administration too, even some of the COVID press conferences. I mean, this is Donald Trump at his trumpiest when he's interacting with reporters and just goes for a really long time. We'll talk about literally anything. So there's a wide range from these clips you're about to see. But Ryan cued up a great one. This is about Greenland, right, Canada?
Speaker 4: I think this was O Canada. Here we go.
Speaker 9: But why are we supporting a country two hundred billion plus a year. Our military is at their disposal all of these other things.
Speaker 7: They should be a state.
Speaker 9: That's why I told Trudeau when he came down, I said, what would happen if we didn't do it?
Speaker 7: He said, Canada would dissolve.
Speaker 9: Canada wouldn't be able to function if we didn't take that twenty percent of our car up market. You know, we again, they send us hundreds of thousands of cars. They make a lot of money with that. They send us a lot of other things that we don't need. We don't need their cars and we don't need the other products.
Speaker 7: We don't need their milk.
Speaker 9: We got a lot of milk, We got a lot of everything, and we don't need any of it. So I said to him, well, why are we doing it. He said, I don't really know. He was unable to answer the question, but I can answer it. We're doing it because of habit, and we're doing it because we like our neighbors. We've been good neighbors. But we can't do it forever. And it's a tremendous amount of money. And why should we have a two hundred billion dollar deficit? And add on to that many many other things that we give them in terms of subsidy. And I said, that's okay to have if you're a state, but if you're another country, we don't want to have it. We're not going to have it with European Union either.
Speaker 4: Love it, right, I.
Speaker 3: Always love it when he says not.
Speaker 5: Sometimes he just drops the in front of something, so instead of saying the European Union, he just says a European Union.
Speaker 3: We're not going to do it with European Union.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I love that. He just talks about Canada being one state, not you can imagine there might be more than one state in that giant thing in there. But we'll talk more about Canada because this is fun. But let's let's look at some of his other good times Greenland. Donald Trump Junior here visited Greenland a little provocation. Maybe this is the you know, this is the effort to plant the flag.
Speaker 5: He's been in Greenland for the last couple of days with Sergio Gore and Charlie Kirk, and they've been posting pictures and videos with the good people of Greenland. So the timing of the press conference was quite interesting yesterday because it was happening as these pictures were being posted of Donald Trump Junior, you know, saying the people in Charlie Kirk posting, you know, the people of Greenland just want their freedom, etcetera, etcetera. I'm paraphrasing them, but they actually made the trip. So it was good timing for Donald Trump to make these remarks in a question after a question he got yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 6: D citing actions to draw plans and could you elaborate it.
Speaker 9: I think you didn't rule out a military perversion, and well, we need Greenland for national security purposes. I've been told that for a long time, long before I even ran. I mean, people have been talking about it for a long time. You have approximately forty five thousand people there. People really don't even know if Denmark has an illegal right to it. But if they do, they should give it up because we needed for nancial security. That's for the free world. I'm talking about protecting the free world. You look at you don't even need binoculars. You look outside. You have China ships all over the place. You have Russian ships all over the place. We're not letting that happen. We're not letting it happen.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're not letting that happen. Let's see where where's the right on Greenland? While doing up the next.
Speaker 5: Clip entirely in favor, but the rights trolling of Canada is what really has me confused recently. If you add Canada to the United States as a state or as individual states, you're you're adding actually by GDP, which is not the best measure of these things, but it is a measure of these things. One of the would be one of the poorest states in the in the unions, I guess, you know, national defense. Obviously, advantages that would come with adding ended to controlling more of the Arctic. But that one baffles me a little bit. I think a lot of it is trolling. Greenland is not trolling. That's that's completely serious. Goes back to obviously, Seward, the people are Alaska panned out well, so maybe it wouldn't be such a folly to take on Greenland.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair point. Yes, Seward's folly was what the purchase of Alaska, right, people said, it was absolutely ridiculous. That seemed to work out pretty well for the US, and Seward also wanted to get the other Alaska on the other side. Here's Trudeau's response. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell, Trudeau tweeted, true to who's now resigned, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Canada would become part of the United States. Workers and communities in both our countries benefit from being each other's biggest trading and security partners. I'd like to know how that conversation that Trump described with Trudeau actually went. You know, I think you know, I'm not somebody who's here to give the United States advice on how to be a better global hedgemon, because I think we're actually a genuinely destructive force in the world, So anything that strengthens US is probably a bad idea. But to me, it does actually seem that the US as a hedgemon would be strengthened by basically absorbing Canada into the United States, not just for the resources, but also for you know, the number one thing that the US kind of has going for it is it is that it's the global reserve currency backed by the US military. If you add Canada's currency to the US currency, you know, the Canadian dollar goes away and they just have American dollars. You know, it adds a non trivial you know, circulation of currency around the world, which is which would then counteract the efforts by bricks and and you know generally by bricks, but by other countries to start doing bilateral or multilateral trading that goes around the dollar, which is the main threat because if we're not we're not actually manufacturing anything, and we're just the center of capital. But the but capital isn't circulating in US dollars anymore because we've we've thrown away our kind of our you know, imperial privilege that we have, then what do we have left? Uh So, to that extent, I would say for the US, it's probably a good thing. In Canada from its perspective, does seem to have lost the plot, like there was a there was a stretch where you could look at Canada and say, they've they've got something interesting going on up there. You know, they've they've got a little different version here. Uh, They've got it. They've got a different culture, they've got some stronger you know, communal politics. Now they just there's nothing, nothing impressive going on up there. So I think it's probably a wrap for Canada.
Speaker 5: People hate when we talk about Canada. They're really gonna hate.
Speaker 3: What you just said. Quote nothing impressive going.
Speaker 4: On there, grow me wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the country is in dire straits right now, There's no question about that. And actually your point about currency is a really interesting one. In the natural resources in Canada and Mexico, I mean Mexico, well we're just you know, talking at the thirty thousand foot level.
Speaker 3: That would be I think a spectacular.
Speaker 5: Edition in terms of, like we like natural resources shipping, and that's what a lot of this comes down to, shipping, not just for commerce, but for defense. That's the conversation that's being had about Panama. Donald Trump talked a little bit about Panama and the press conference yesterday as well. It's obviously very timely because of Jimmy Carter's funeral. And I'm sure Ryan, you have a different perspective than I do on Panama. But one of the things I will say is the Overton window is shifting right now. And this is something that Trump. I don't know if it's genius, if it's incidental, but we've never ever it's only Trump that broaches something like this and gets taken seriously. We never ever had these conversations before. And just for the I mean, we have, but you're not in recent contemporary politics. You'd just sort of be laughed at if you talked about adding Canada as the fifty first state, but.
Speaker 4: In kind of laughing.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but.
Speaker 5: He's like, Canada is not laughing, and they really aren't laughing, And you know, Denmark isn't finding this whole thing all that amusing either. But that's like, this is going to change the way that we talk about our neighbors, not just in terms of.
Speaker 4: Trade, literally literally changed the way we talk about our neighbors.
Speaker 9: Speaking of laughing, steet trillion dollars worth of assets. We're going to be changing the name of the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America, which has a beautiful ring that covers a lot of territory.
Speaker 7: The Gulf of America.
Speaker 9: What a beautiful name, and it's appropriate, it's appropriate, and Mexico has to stop allowing millions of people to pour into our and.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that that that goes along with his kind of Trumpian Monroe doctrine where you know, he, like you said, he talked about how look, hey, we built the Panama Canal. We built it for us basically, but let let Panama take care of it. Now we've turned it over to the Chinese, and that's outrageous. You know, I do think from an American perspective, like the dominant power having influence, you know, having the dominant influence in its sphere seems reasonable. Uh. It seems also kind of hypocritical for us to then tell China that, you know, they ought to have, you know, no influence on on their side of the world. You know that that that we're going to completely control this and also we're going to completely control everything around China as well. Like you can imagine from China like wait a minute, okay, fine, Panama Canal, you want that thing back, all right? Whatever? It's tiny, It's like you like, you know, the big ships can't fit through it anymore. You need to do a lot of upgrades on it. But then get off our back about Chinese influence over in Asia.
Speaker 5: So the conversation Crystal and Soccer had yesterday about Trudeau as the kind of symbol of the neoliberal arc over the last ten years and that sort of winding down as Trudeau is the beacon of the like new neoliberal future and then is kind of unraveling as Donald Trump comes back into office and has been selected by voters again is interesting. And in the context of what you're just saying, cold war Western politics where this like soft imperialism or this like apologetic imperialism, where you have people like Jimmy Carter negotiating the return of the Panama Canal to.
Speaker 4: Panama RD four in the press conference right right.
Speaker 5: While waging a Cold war and doing it, you know, in different ways that I think are arguably very imperialists. And you and I would definitely agree on that. And so what Trump, I think Trump is like just shifting that. It's like that is who knows. I mean, you go from Carter to Reagan and things flip back and forth. But Trump seems like he's ushering in this new era of just like brash imperialism or return to brash imperialism, which is like, this is hard power, this is our hemisphere, this is it's the monro doctrine to your point, which you do hear a lot of conservatives talking about.
Speaker 3: Now in a very reverent way.
Speaker 5: So I do think it's like just the conversation that he's broached and brought into the overtin window or stretch the overton window to bring it in is a pretty fascinating one.
Speaker 4: It is nice to be at least able to you know, talk about it out loud, right and talk about it in clear terms, rather than smuggling it in through the language of democracy promotion.
Speaker 5: Or right like would you rather have the CIA run Panama or at least have like transparently out in the open the United States is trying to run panel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if these are our choices. Yeah, So in any event, it's going to be interesting there that that at least we will be gifted with.
Speaker 5: Yes, the Gulf of America, of which, by the way, like we have a state called New Mexico.
Speaker 4: New Mexico.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, it wouldn't really work, but anyway, Yes, quite a moment yesterday at that wild press conference, and we'll see what happens going forward now.
Speaker 4: That wellkness that's going through and renaming everything.
Speaker 5: By the way, oh it is a sort of iconoclass, right, not a bad point, right, Well, we have more meltdowns to cover, Ryan, So let's move on to Brian Stalter.
Speaker 3: After Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 5: Made his major announcement yesterday that Meta would be changing its approach to speech, actually reversing its approach to speech policies on the platform, fact checking policies on the platform, reactions have been pouring in from people on the left and the right. Let's just start with in case you missed it, part of this video Mark Zuckerberg posted soccer and Crystal covered it yesterday. It actually sort of happened early in the morning. This was posted right before seven am East Coast time, and was accompanied by a statement from Meta that kind of fleshed out their approach a little bit, you know, getting rid of those third party fact checkers. Moving towards community notes, Mark Zuckerberg mentioned Elon Musk directly at least x directly, the platform that Musk has started using for community notes. So let's take a look just at a brief clip from Mark Zuckerberg statement yesterday in case you missed it, so.
Speaker 10: Here it is, and focus on reducing mistakes, simplifying our policies, and restoring free expression on our platforms. More specifically, we're going to get rid of fact checkers and replace them with community notes similar to X starting in the US.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 5: One interesting thing there is he says back to our roots and talks about how he had started Meta as a way to give people a voice.
Speaker 3: So it's it's.
Speaker 5: Pretty interesting to see this like re recycling of the ethos that there. They had a lot in that sort of early Obama era when they were the cool kids with the ping pong tables in their offices, and now they're saying, listen, we're just getting back to Internet one point zero ethos.
Speaker 3: This is all about free speech. I'm wearing a gold chain.
Speaker 5: I look like I would be, you know, sitting on a UFC bench with you know, Elon and Trump even even more like I fit in even more than Mike Johnson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there is some real truth that some of the early tech DNA you know, had roots in kind of an anarchist you know, information wants to be free version of the world. In fact, going back to the kind of you know, hippie acid creation of the Internet. You know, in its early days, a lot of those founders really believed that they were building kind of revolutionary technology that was going to overthrow the powers that be. Move fast and break things was you know for a very long time, you know, Zuckerberg's motto for Facebook. And so there is actually some truth that at some point in tech's life it did have that ethos and did move away from it.
Speaker 3: No, that's a I think a very worthy point.
Speaker 5: So Brian Stelter then appeared on CNN and had quite an interesting conversation about it.
Speaker 3: So let's well a little bit of Steltzer here.
Speaker 6: It gets in this broader sense that when people like zucker Elon Musk or mar Zuckerberg talk about free speech, everybody wants free speech, but it oftentimes seems that these tech CEOs actually are favoring or preferring a certain kind of speech.
Speaker 7: Right, They're favoring.
Speaker 6: Their own speech or their own political preferences, and not the actual entire user or the community's speech. You know, the changes announced by Meta today are very much a maga makeover, a pro Trump makeover, and that's gonna win meta some conservative users, but it may repel some liberals. That's the same thing we've seen happen on Elon Musk's next he's turned into more of a right wing platform where he's pro free speech when it's really pro Musk or pro Trump speech.
Speaker 3: So right.
Speaker 5: And that's interesting because we just talked about how Facebook is a was sort of informed by that early ethos of the Internet, and now in twenty twenty five you have Brian Stelter referring to that as a maga makeover, And honestly, there's something of a point to that in that it is the same argument that you started to hear from people on the right who were skeptical of these early Internet guys, conservatives, not libertarians so much.
Speaker 3: Obviously libertarians were always a part of that movement.
Speaker 5: But it's just to call that a maga makeover. It's true in some sense, but also misses the broader context that it's actually more of the traditional, like aclu old left approach to speech that the right kind of happened upon because it suddenly was turned against them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it's wrong for Stella to conflate what's going on at Twitter X and what's going on at Facebook. I think, you know, both are flowing from the same kind of political project that we're seeing. You know, Zuckerberg was very clear that he's explicitly making this change because elections have consequences. Like one admirable thing about his video is that it did not include corporate speak. It was he was It was very direct. It's like and it was very plain about what they're going to do. We're going to shut down our trust in safety team in California, We're going to move it to Texas. Just straightforward things like that, which you can agree or disagree with, but like, like, wow, that's that. This is This is rarely blunt stuff. And he pinpointed it directly to the election with Musk. You know, he kind of drove the change more than responded to the change. And you know, his champion of free speech has has become kind of mockable in the face of his his demonetizing of a whole bunch of his enemies that he engaged with on the H one B controversy, and then all of a sudden they all start losing their like blue jacks and their promoted stuff. And their their subscribers and and everything else. So it's like, all right, well, anybody who you know really put their faith there, I guess found that to be a little bit misplaced.
Speaker 5: It's oligarchy, however you slice it.
Speaker 4: It is. And actually, before we get to the next element, I want to pull one up that's not on the rundown, which I think is yeah, going on a little rogue here, But we can do that because we've got this more more nimble system here. So this was Lena Kahan on CNBC with with a bit of a different take on what the problem is here an.
Speaker 11: Economy where the decisions of a single company or a single executive are not having extraordinary impact on speech online. And I know that's a concern that we hear bipartisan members of Congress talk about, and so it'll be interesting to see what happens. We of course, have litigation ongoing. There's going to be a trial starting this spring FTC versus Facebook, alleging that their prior acquisitions were illegal.
Speaker 12: What do you think, though, of the relationship that we're seeing between big tech and the next administration. What do you make of the meetings and pilgrimages with which we're seeing Mark Zuckerberg go to mar A Lago, or we're seeing a Jeff Bezos or Tim Cook. I mean, this is a very different kind of relationship than administration the Biden administration had, and specifically what you represented to the business community.
Speaker 11: So I approached my job with a focus on faithfully enforcing the law and making sure we were doing that across the economy without fear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, lead that for there. But basically what she's saying is probably something that the right would have agreed with several years ago, which is, Yep, we shouldn't have to hope that Mark Zuckerberg wakes up one day and makes the right decision. Yep, No, nobody elected Mark Zuckerberg to be.
Speaker 5: And Elon Musk and Elon Musk right, we shouldn't have to hope that Jack Dorsey wakes up one day and you know, is looks favorably upon the conservative case when The New York Times is coming down on you, and yeah, Lena Kahn one favor on the right. I mean, she continued a Trump administration suit against Google because that argument it wasn't just that she was going after big tech, it was that this very specific argument about single oligarchs who control a wide swath of the public square with private platforms, whether it's Instagram, Facebook, Meta as a whole, or Twitter now x that that was always the problem, and so yes, it's great that they're, you know, saying at least publicly that they're taking a lighter approach to the suppression or censorship of speech. That is obviously a step in the right direction, and saying we're not going to put our thumb on the scale as much as our previous policy suggested. But what Lena Khan is saying is that we have an economy structured so as that they can put their.
Speaker 3: Thumb on the scale at any given moment.
Speaker 5: And that is the problem in and of itself, not that they've decided that they're going to do it less, but the fact that they have the power to begin with is the problem. And conservatives used to agree with that. The question is whether Zuckerberg and Musk are convincing them they don't have to worry about it, or they don't have to worry about it as much, so then it becomes a lower priority. Doesn't Ken Paxton in twenty twenty six hypothetically care as much about going after big tech if big tech isn't going after conservatives exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, a lot of Lina Khan's anti trust stuff has its roots in kind of right wing, free market oriented approaches to you know, how markets ought to be structured. Even though that even though she's you know, gotten a lot of favor on on the left and what she's describing there as an ad monopoly. That where Facebook has built a moat around an ad monopoly which you know, prevents other social networks from from coming in. It's it's difficult because you have you know, size and scale, you know, uh, you know, difficulties of you know, you have to get to a threshold level in a social network or you're not a social network. You need the social part in there, not just a handful of handful of users. But she's saying because of the way they've built the moat, other other people can't get in. And you're exactly right that you don't want politicians to be deciding on the policy of the structure of an economy based on just whether or not those companies are culturally with them at the at the at a particular moment.
Speaker 3: H right.
Speaker 5: And this is not like, uh, this is not something that's going to be in the rear view mirror for the right or the left. Frankly, if you are as administrations switch and you have people trying to curry favor with the left and the right. Obviously it wasn't quite as bad for the left when the Biden administration was asking directly asking people like Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 3: To censor the right.
Speaker 5: But if you don't change the fundamental structure of the economy, this becomes a problem for any side. And that doesn't go away unless you change the structure of the economy. And so what we're looking at now is having a wide swath of our discourse exported onto these private platforms that gamify that discourse and that have control over what is said, have control over the algorithms that amplify or deamplify what is said.
Speaker 3: And that's our future.
Speaker 5: That doesn't go away, that doesn't change, and we desperately, desperately need a.
Speaker 3: Solution to it.
Speaker 5: So, unfortunately, it looks like some of that enthusiasm may be blunted on the right if you have Zuckerberg putting a million dollars into the inauguration fund. It's not just you know, whether the principle of the argument is still embraced by the right. It's whether there's any momentum or energy to have their own sort of Lena Kahn when the donors are like, this is a backbench issue, give us the tax cuts, let's focus on this. Let's focus on that. You're right, you know, it's not ideal, but so yeah, it could be a quite unfortunate turn of events, and Zuckerberg could be getting exactly what he pays for.
Speaker 4: So I saw Ben Shapiro was in here. Anytime I look at the top performers on Facebook, it seems like Shapiro and his you know, alliance that he had built with Zuckerberg over the years was really paying off. What's his take here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone could see a post that he put up yesterday along with his segment from his show. He says Facebook is just completely reversed course on censorship. He posted this on x after years of doing the Democratic parties anti free speech bidding. It's beyond time. Good for Zuckerberg, and let's be real, this happened because up one then in all caps he said, still not tired of winning, Let's go to Donald Trump himself, because he actually got asked that question directly at mar Alago yesterday.
Speaker 13: Meta said today it was not putting in fact checks on which website and it.
Speaker 7: Was a lot of community.
Speaker 9: So I watched their news conference and I thought it was a very good news conference. I think they've honestly, I think they've come a long way Meta Facebook, I.
Speaker 7: Think they've come a long way.
Speaker 9: I watched it. The man was very impressive. I watched it. Actually, I watched it on Fox. I'm not allowed to say that.
Speaker 8: Do you think he's been directly responding to the threats that you have made to him in the past?
Speaker 7: But probably probably so.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 5: This gets to exactly what we were just talking about, which is as this like this, this better policy. Although I do wonder how community notes work is going to work on Facebook when the only people left on Facebook seemed to be elderly. Sorry, no offense to everybody's still on Facebook. It's not just the elderly, but it sort of sounds like a sitcom waiting to happen, Like, give me a sitcom inside the community of like Wikipedia editors, except its Facebook community notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I told our drop site team last night, I was like, look if if Zuckerber is going to actually allow politics back onto Facebook and maybe even threads, then there's we might as well post there. Again, like, we don't even have drop site. We don't even have a Facebook page. We're going to start one because you're like, it is a very boomer heavy audience, but there are a lot of boomers. Yeah, and that's a big It's it's an audience worth reaching if you can reach them. The reason we hadn't done it isn't because we hate boomers. It's because Zuckerberg was basically blocking anything interesting that you know that wasn't just you know, fluff content right getting shared.
Speaker 5: I'm actually going to share this post that Joel Kaplan, who is the new longtime Republican lobbyist, the head of their like global affairs public affairs outreach that used to be Nick Klegg. Many people remember he wrote this as a supplement to what Zuckerberg said yesterday and actually talked exactly about what you talked about, Ryan, in that the policy at Facebook for a long time was actually to suppress political content because they were under the impression that it's why it's not what people wanted to see, sort of clogging up their news feeds on Facebook, and I think you're right that that actually probably sent a lot of younger people away from Facebook because the old saw about not talking about politics and religion. We actually like, as a people like to talk about politics and religion. It's healthy for us to talk about politics and religion. And we love to see everybody's dogs and their puppies and their graduation pictures, and their families and their babies and all of that. But you can also do that in text groups and all of that other stuff. Now, So they said that they are going to stop suppressing political content that they realized people want to do that, so they didn't actually roll out this fact checking program or this the death of the fact checking program, which has wide consequences because obviously they used to partner with all of these third parties that actually got money for being part of the program, you know, traditional news outlets, things like PolitiFact, and there were others, you know, even I think the Daily Caller was like the one conservative group other than The Dispatch, which I don't really count, that cooperated in all of this. But they also say they're going to allow more speech and a personalized approach to political content.
Speaker 3: They noted, so.
Speaker 5: Quite a significant reversal, not just on those third party fact checkers, which is very significant in and of itself, but actually on everything political for basically on everything political.
Speaker 3: Which was pretty interesting.
Speaker 6: Ryan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Well, let's turn to this post from Glenn because just as we were talking about sort of the realignment implications of this, I thought it was worth bringing in Glenn here. He says it's hard to overstate how angry and upset Brazilian officials like this are. He has a post from Joel Brandt that he's quote tweeting, along with other supporters of its secret due Process, Free Judicial censorscript scheme about Zuckerberg's announcement. The Meta CEO's announcement gutted the core weapons of speech suppression, and he's absolutely right about that it did, and he's pointing out that people on the left are angry about it. Now, Brian Stelter didn't sound angry to me. Maybe frustrated is a good way to put it. But there are some people who are flat out angry about this, especially Ryan, people who had been using threads and saw that as an escape from x So it's like a test for the left.
Speaker 4: Threads at least as far as I can tell, lost basically all of its momentum, specifically because it was refusing to allow politics and news into the feed and because it was insisting on not doing anything remotely chronological. You know, so whenever you would log in, it would just give you, like them, what it thought would be the most interesting thing to you, even if it was seven days old or twenty five days old. And so the people who wanted news out out of a social feed went over to Blue Ski. The liberals went over to Blue Sky much more than Threads, and Blue Sky is really outpaced Threads, at least culturally among liberals. Who knows if this change in Threads will will pull people in because it has that it has the scale it has, you know, it has millions of people in there because of their connection to Facebook and Instagram. But it might be so trash that that it's impossible. Now. The other the flip side of Glenn's point is an interesting and curiousity take on this. I think it was alone with Rahu. I saw it was our nobotron on Twitter. Somebody was saying that the same way that democrats have used democracy promotion to intervene imperially in other countries' internal affairs and push an American hegemonic agenda. They worry that Republicans are now going to use free speech as as its wedge to get into other countries internal domestic politics and drive drive their own political agenda in another country, so that that free speech will be a fig leaf for American intervention in just the same way that democracy promotion was a fig leaf for American intervention for democrats. In other words, you would come in and take on the EU or take on the Brazilian center left around their speech policies. But what you're what you're actually trying to do is over is regime change, overthrow the government and put in a government which, just as in the mirror example of democracy promotion, doesn't actually care about democracy, doesn't actually care about free speech, is actually just trying to implement an allied right wing agenda. And so you kind of just use those use those aspirational values along the way. Hopefully that's not what we end up seeing, but I think it's something to be on the lookout for.
Speaker 5: It's definitely something to be on the lookout for, because it's being talked about in those kinds of spaces right now. And you know, honestly, it could be there's an argument that it's for the better. Like if we're pushing other countries to adopt just standards of free speech, it's still imperialism.
Speaker 3: But we're going to be doing the imperialism.
Speaker 4: No matter what. So human rights and democracy and yeah, we're not all four. Everybody's for human rights. Human rights are great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the one thing we're not going to do is stop the like coercive Like, we're not going to stop doing that.
Speaker 3: So if it's for like, if we can get better.
Speaker 5: Speech policies out of the UK or Canada or some countries that do have terrifying speech policies that hopefully are not canaries in the coal mine for the United States, then I'm all for it. But it's exactly going to test the argument that we were just talking about with Lena Kahan, where the right got really uncomfortable with some of this coercive imperialism, the sort of soft power, and this could test it in the exact same way.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, Ryan, that is something to be on the lookout for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speak clear out about what we're doing while we're doing it. The fight over TikTok is coming down to the wire. A new buyer is now jumping into the fray. Let's play this.
Speaker 13: And then midday twelve oh five, Trump will be who we have to work with to close the deal and once ahead, so I wanted to let him know as well as others in his cabinet, that we're doing this and we're going to need their help.
Speaker 4: So this is Kevin O'Leary, a right wing businessman from Canada, which is which is still currently a sovereign country to the north of the United States, but may at some point be another state in the United States. Either way, he's a shark tank guy ally of Trump and coming in at the last moment to try to rescue TikTok from potential potentially being banned if the sale is not successfully forced and if the Supreme Court does not give it some reprieve. So Emily, what's the latest here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So just to be clear on the timeline, that law that was signed last year in April means that TikTok needs to be sold by January nineteenth to a US buyer. So January nineteenth, you will note, is the data.
Speaker 4: We're not a US buyer right, it's like a non somebody from China, Russia, Iran and some other like places that we consider adversaries because otherwise Trump would have to hurry up and make Canada a state for January nineteen. Well, I don't know if actually is going to be able to be a qualified buyer.
Speaker 5: That's a interesting point because I don't know if Kevin O'Leary is actually an American citizen, or whether he's negotiating on behalf of an American company that he has a stake in something like that. There's also a billionaire Frank McCourt who's been making moves to try and conservative billionaire to try and buy TikTok.
Speaker 3: January nineteenth is the day before Donald Trump's inauguration.
Speaker 5: That is when TikTok is set to be banned, and Trump has said he's got a quote warm spot for TikTok. The Supreme Court is considering a Trump backed effort to overturn the US Court of Appeals decision to uphold the law that Joe Biden signed on Friday, So those arguments are happening on Friday, the deadline, so that's the tenth. The deadline is the nineteenth, So this is all playing out TikTok is right now, and people can understand why this is the Acxios tear sheet. Ryan is now sending people to what's it called Lemon eight because they're panicked. They don't know that this is actually going to work out at all, because they're I mean, if they lose control of the company, obviously they're losing a lot of power, They're losing a lot of revenue bite dances based in Beijing. Obviously they still have other revenue streams that are very powerful. This one is extremely powerful, though, and they would like to keep a slice of it at the very least ahead of what could be transpiring now. It's possible the Supreme Court does not decide in Trump's favor, in favor of people who are trying to prevent this from happening. That's actually we don't really have a clear indication of where the Supreme Court is going to go on this at all.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: A lot of people have said, if you look at what happened with the US Court of Appeals, it's unlikely that the Conservative Court is going to change it, just based on, you know, the arguments that they found.
Speaker 4: Composed the Court of appeals find well, it's basically rejected, like they upheld the law, right, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they upheld the law because it was passed through the democratic process. I mean, there was something that was done by Congress, signed by the President, and that's going to be a persuasive argument probably, and and maybe it should be a persuasive argument. That's and what's important is not to conflate that. You know, there are a lot of laws that we might like that go through that process and are fine, but it's important not to conflate that with whether or not the bill was a good idea. And you know, even as somebody who's been pretty sympathetic the idea of banning TikTok, you and I've talked about this before. For different reasons, that bill was horrible. It was like a deep state power grab essentially for the reasons that you just talked about in terms of naming or for adversaries and ways that it could be the power could be expanded sort of Patriot Act type of manner to suddenly like have government control.
Speaker 3: I mean, we already have a lot of that.
Speaker 5: But anyway, all this is to say that's a separate what the Supreme Court does is a separate argument for whether that original bill was good, and that's a separate argument in and of itself from whether it's good to ban TikTok.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Byte Dance also owns Lemonade, which would mean by the strictures of that law that was passed, it would also be banned. Bite Dance seems to think that because it's much lower profile, it might be able to slip through. And I think also they're being smart. They're thinking, if we're if we're going to lose access to this site, to this app TikTok very soon, we should you know, use the app while we have it to drive as many people to something that will still control after this. Because presumably if they do inc a deal to offload TikTok to an American or a Canadian buyer, then they will leave at Lemonade alone because it's not a significant threat, and if they've boosted the value of it in the meantime, that be in an advantage to them. But the reason I've always thought that this won't actually come to pass is that, you know, the deep State had wanted to ban TikTok for a very long time. It was only after October seventh, that they were able to get enough congressional buy in to pass the law through Congress and get the President to sign it because members of Congress and members of the Establishment and both parties were horrified not at the images that were coming out of Gaza, but at the fact that young people were able to see the images that were coming out of Gaza and were repelled by them and were in opposition to the genocidal assault that they were seeing. Mitt Romney and we played the clip here on the program if you remember like six months ago or whatever it pass said very explicitly, the reason that the Congress wants to ban TikTok is because it was generating images out of Gaza that was making it difficult to continue to unapologetically support Israel's war effort. He straight upset it in an on stage with Anthony Blincoln, who acknowledged and agreed that TikTok was making the US support for Israel that much more difficult. So the reason I think it won't come to pass is that the genocide is nearly complete, Like the depopulation is complete and almost almost complete in northern Gaza, ninety plus percent of people have been dislocated from their homes. The Gaza Strip is effectively uninhabitable, yet continues to be inhabited, and so Israel in the US one. And so at that point, it doesn't matter if there's if the public is able to see what's going on via TikTok. So that's why I think that they will end up getting a reprieve. Now, they may also cobble together this deal and O'Leary or somebody else might wind up with it, which presents a wild situation where you end up having so much of the media in explicitly right wing hands, like you know, Elon Musk, an active partisan with the Republican Party. At this point, Fox News the biggest you know, cable channels, active and active partisan. And then it you know, the the broadcast networks to its right are you know, they're not trivial anymore. Those are significant. MSNBC completely collapsing CNN is a disaster. Uh. And then if you also have TikTok owned by you know, an explicit right wing person, not just a billionaire who has billionaire tendencies, but also but somebody who's kind of partisan, a partisan conservative like O'Leary. Uh, it's it sets up an extraordinary difficult situation for the center left and left.
Speaker 5: Just gets back to the point about what that Lena Khan made on CNBC recently about just having an economy structured in a way that these platforms are so powerful a rival government power, significantly rival government power, and are under the control of a CEO, with this like massive swath of the discourse about politics under their sway at any given moment. And what's interesting, Ran is the reason I think the deep state still cares a lot about TikTok Israel side is China and what they want to do. Really the reason that they want this sold through US entity. I mean, I think there's there's some very legitimate reasons for wanting that, and we've.
Speaker 3: Talked about some of those before, but.
Speaker 5: I think they also want TikTok to function in the way that Twitter and X I'm sorry X and Meta do, which is they'll give you access. If you are trying to spy on Americans, they will share the data. They will or Google is another example, they will cooperate. You will have a way to access it. If you're in the FBI or CIA or whatever. You'll have better You don't have to go ask Beijing for data, and you know, TikTok would It's kind of interesting because TikTok would say, well, we're we're all functioning in America anyway.
Speaker 3: But they that's not necessarily true.
Speaker 5: But anyway, all this is to say, I think you know the benefit for the quote unquote you say of having TikTok owned by a US entity is more spy powers for them to snoop on Americans domestically. So whether or not there's good reasons for wanting it not to be spy powers for just Beijing, different question.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, do you notice that Lev Parnas's kid has blown up on TikTok the last couple of days. He's doing like one minute news reports and he's up to like one and a half two million followers in like just weeks. It's the funniest thing ever, Like, what is Lev Parnas's kid doing on delivering news to people on TikTok.
Speaker 5: Also, I'm told that Taylor Armstrong is going viral on TikTok for the baby. There's no playing meme that Real Housewives Bravo fans of us have known about for like a decade plus. Taylor Armstrong is famously the woman who's yelling at the cat in the meme from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. But now she's just going viral again. So you never know what pops out of TikTok.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It's a global and national treasure. It must be protected.
Speaker 5: There you have it from Brian grim All right, right, let's move on to congestion pricing in New York. Well, congestion pricing is officially in effect in New York City as of this week, as of the fifth actually, so we're a couple of days into it, and which means we have the benefit. I'm saying all kinds of reactions. Now, here's just a quick map that was posted the day before it went into affect in Manhattan. So this is from morning Brew NYC Congestion sols tolls start tomorrow. That was a fifth for motor entry Manhattan at sixtieth Street or below, cars, SUVs, pickups nine dollars, non commuter buses fourteen forty big rigs, twenty one to sixty, motorcycles for fifty. The MTA wants to raise fifteen billion dollars for mass transit improvements and ease gridlock. So this is the congestion relief zone. If you're not super familiar with New York, it's basically that part of Manhattan. I mean, the sun's obvious, but it's like the most congested. It shows their Westside Highway excluded. It goes all the way down to the southernmost tip FDR Drive excluded, those of those brake cream boundaries. But in the middle there man that is affecting a whole lot of people Ryan and raises some fascinating questions about class and all of that. So let me run a video here of one man, this man on the street, that was done right. You actually posted this a couple of days ago. Let's take a listen to this man on the street.
Speaker 8: We need to affect nine dollars each day that you pass sixtieth Street. And while I disagree with it for many reasons, for me in particular, it really hits home because I live right here on sixty first Street in this building, and my car is right there parked in front.
Speaker 9: Of my building.
Speaker 8: And if I want to go to turn around to go uptown to visit my kids who live on seventy ninth Street, I have to pay nine dollars to go around the block, because this is a one way street, and that's a one way street, and that's a one way street, and there's no way for me to get uptown without going around the block and paying nine dollars. And I think something has to be sorted out for Manhattan residences.
Speaker 5: Ryan, That's quite an interesting clip because it gets to the class dynamics here.
Speaker 3: What Yeah, you posted this yourself, so tell us what you mean.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a couple of interesting dynamics here. First of all, the real estate where that guy is standing is some of the most expensive in the entire world. So this is not This is not a work. It's very unlikely. And I think actually somebody found this guy is like a pretty rich dude, So like set that aside. The reason the news camera was there the same reason when I did my Man on the Street interview. They were standing outside the emergency department and grabbing people coming out of the hospital.
Speaker 5: Yes, missed Ryan on Sky News who went viral. I think you actually went viral on TikTok x.
Speaker 4: They were looking for people angry at the healthcare system on an insurance industry. They went to sixtieth Street and sixty first Street here because that's where the line is, and so yes like it. You know, whenever there's a line, it's going to suck for the people who are like, you know, five feet from it. And what he's saying is like, in order to go north, I actually have to go south, go one block over, and then go north and boom, now I had to being through it. The other funny thing, though, is that, Okay, it's kind of that is kind of a funny predicament that the guy is in that just because of where he is, he's going to get dinged every possible time. And you know what, if he has a good alderman or whatever, he you know, the good city councilman, everybody in that block, you know, can get half half off whatever. I don't care. What's funny though, they're talking like eighteen blocks.
Speaker 14: It's a twenty minute walk like this is this is this is not a long distance And the whole the point of living, a point of living in the city, a city like Manhattan, is that it is walkable, that you can get places by foot and that and that, and that's good.
Speaker 4: For you, it's good for the planet, it's good for your kids. To do that walk. So that guy is not for any of the arguments. Kind of a sympathetic character there, But I think there are some more sympathetic arguments that that we should that we should entertain and see if we can grapple with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's take a look at this headline. This is from the New York Post.
Speaker 5: Map shows congestion pricing will cost up to twenty seven dollars to drive into Manhattan. Firefighters, teachers, and businesses can't afford it. So here's the map, and if you're looking at it's similar to the first map that we showed, but it actually gets even more specific about if you're commuting through particular points in New York City. If you're super familiar with New York, it'll make sense to you a Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge.
Speaker 3: You can see some of these.
Speaker 5: Exact pricing for for different folks, told by plate versus told by easy pass. This is really expensive, Like, actually, this is really expensive. I saw one man on a street interview with a guy who was just like a blue collar worker coming who was commuting into the city, and some would costs him an extra two hundred dollars a month. If he didn't start taking the subway. The subway, of course, is not something that a lot of people who aren't using it regularly want to start using right now, because there's fair evasion that leads to some you know, unfortunate experiences with law enforcement. There's also, like we just saw last week, the horrifying video of a man who somehow miraculously survived after being pushed onto the platform as a train was coming on by someone who's just doing it for the hell of it. Seemingly the woman who was burned alive as passers by were helpless, and some of them may have been able to do something but didn't. Law enforcement didn't do much at all. Everyone has seen these images, and people are not keen to leave the safety of their vehicles. And I say that, you know, safety not you know, being not in terms of car crashes, which are obviously very significant area.
Speaker 3: As well and everywhere.
Speaker 5: But putting themselves vulnerable onto the subway is something a lot of people don't want to do, especially you know, when they it was previously they had organized their commutes around budgets that were totally doable for them, and now the city is asking them to pay more money when let me just share this next screen and get your thoughts on this. Ryan, you had Uber and Lyft spending millions of dollars pushing for the congestion pricing because it helps them while it doesn't help other people.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty interesting. This is your posting.
Speaker 5: They poured millions of dollars in efforts to legalize the congestion tolling and they stand to be among the biggest winners. They hired top lobbyists to help persuade key state and city officials to approve the controversial level, including Governor Kathy Hochel and the mt A. So that brings us into interesting perspective as well. I'm curious what you make of it.
Speaker 4: Ryan, Yeah, so uh, Uber and Lyft lobbying for this and getting a sweetheart deal out of it where it's cheaper for them, you know, and it and it makes it easier for them to compete. You know, that's bs and you know they ought to that that. You know, that shouldn't that shouldn't be the case. I think I think the opponents there have a have a very reasonable argument because not only they're getting a sweetheart deal, then there's gonna be less congestion, and they're gonna be able to zip around more. On other hand, people who use ubers and lifts you know, pretty frequently are going to be are are going to uh benefit from that because their trips will be will be quicker. Uh. There's a kind of a chicken and egg you know problem here that the city is trying to address to you to your point about the subway being trash. You know, I lived there about twenty years ago or so, and I used to take the subway to work, and people who live in New York have a real you know, fondness for and defensiveness around its subway and all the character that it has. But it's also, you know, compared to other major cities around the world, particularly around the world, and even even in the US, it's trash compared to a lot of them. It should be a lot better. So, this is supposed to be the greatest city in the world, and it definitely does not have the greatest the greatest subway system or not even probably in the top one hundred, and so in order to upgrade that, they're trying to come up with money through this congestion pricing scheme, and so it's going to push people to use a system that is not yet upgraded. But if you don't do something like this, then then it never gets upgraded, and people have both over congested traffic and in a completely degrading subway system. One. So the low income there's a low income discount that has been worked into the law, which is just woefully inadequate. Make it's if you if you have a gross income of sixty thousand dollars or less, you're able to get half off of your fare, but only after your first ten trips. And I think the sixty thousand is pretty absurd. You know, most people who are coming into New York, the reason they're driving into New York is because they're making a little bit more than that. But it's still extraordinarily difficult to live in New York on say seventy or live in the New York area on even seventy or or eighty thousand dollars, especially if then all of your you know, you're spending hundreds of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars on tolls and fairs.
Speaker 3: So they really should is extremely high.
Speaker 4: They really should have made that that discount a lot more generous and make it, make it easy, make it easier for the middle for the middle class to get. But if it works, then this is this is the argument that I would make to people who don't want to pay it but are end up paying it because they don't live near transit and it's just not feasible for them to use use a transit. Like, look, if you actually shave off a half an hour of your commute each way, and let's say you make let's say you make forty dollars an hour, you make thirty dollars an hour. If you shave off an hour of that, that's thirty or forty dollars that you not to get not to get too you know, you know, economics bro or neoliberal, but like people's time is valuable, and so if it works, and that's and that's a huge if. So far we're seeing it working. Like so far, we're seeing that commute traffic does seem to be moving faster. You know, let let us know in the comments, if you live in New York and if you've been driving around the city, you know what your experience has been. But if you can actually save that time, time is money, you can actually you know you could you could work an extra hour on your shift if you can, if you can get those hours, or you have an hour, or you have an extra hour to yourself a day, which you know, is that worth nine dollars to you to a lot of people, I think it would be, especially if that money is then going into improving the subway system in the long run.
Speaker 5: The obvious benefit while we're doing the sort of advantages and disadvantage pros and cons is also for emergency vehicles is a serious problem in New York that when traffic's not moving and you need to get ambulances through. That's a significant reason just in and of itself to start thinking about how to deal with congestion. But I just think what sucks, and this is not just New York based, but near in particular, where people are the cost of living is really high, and people are taxed to hell and have.
Speaker 3: Been for years.
Speaker 5: It's like you're punishing them. You're punishing them for the city's mismanagement of their own taxpayer dollars. And people have organized their lives of course of years around commutes that work for their budget, that work for their schedule.
Speaker 3: Uh, and so that the sudden like it just.
Speaker 5: Feels like a punishment for people who have been dutifully like paying their taxes for years and now because the like the the reason the subway is a disaster, it's not really just because they lack resources. They lack resources, financial resources, because of the mismanagement it's in.
Speaker 3: It's a complete vicious cycle right now. People have been paying into.
Speaker 5: The system and it just again, it's going to It's it's going to It's one of those things that just is going to. The middle class is going to bear the brunt of it, which obviously sucks.
Speaker 4: Although meanwhile, Dave Will pointed out really fascinating class dynamic in the New York Post coverage. I don't know if you saw this, but the uh they the Post was writing about drivers who were cleverly evading the fair because you know, people have different tricks. You put this gloss on your license plate, which is illegal, but if you can get away with it nobody sees it, then the camera can't catch your your license plate or other tricks to like not get nailed with this fair. He's like, I've searched the New York Post and was unable to find, you know, any articles celebrating the cleverness of subway fare of vaders that to them is like a cover story worthy crime and a driver who evades the fair you know that person is clever and an American hero. And it does go back to this unspoken assumption that car culture is is just better because who like who built the subway, The public built the subway, Who built the roads? The public built the roads. But there's this belief that one of them, just by natural right, ought to be free and the other one ought to cost people money, and that if you're if you're stealing one, you're a hero. You're stealing the other, you're a villain, and if you peel it back. There's there's no philosophical, logical, political rationale for the argument that different transportation modes that were both funded by the public should be treated so radically different. So not in the post.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a great point.
Speaker 4: So President Donald Trump has promised hell on Earth if there isn't a hostage deal by the time he's sworn into office. Meanwhile, over at drop site News, we've gotten a statement from Hamas appealing directly to President Trump. I'm going to read some of that. They write the Hamas spokesperson says, well, we believe we can reach an agreement immediately if Netanyahu and his government stop their stalling and obstructing the deal, we are ready to proceed with agreement immediately that guarantees a permanent ceasefire, the withdrawal of all Israeli forces from the Gaza Strip, the return of displaced people to their homes without restrictions, a serious prisoner exchange deal from both sides, and the immediate launch of a comprehensive relief and reconstruction process for Gaza. Therefore, we look forward to President Trump and his team exerting pressure on that Yahoo and his government to move forward with the deal before his inauguration. Now this comes just as there's news being reported by Reuters and others that when it comes to that post reconstruction or post deal reconstruction process, the UAE, which is a very very close ally of Trump himself and the Trump family, has said that it would take a lead in kind of overseeing with the US a security and reconstruction until a reformed house stating authority could start taking control in Gaza. Now, what's interesting about this is several things. One uh the US having some role in security and reconstruction in Gaza suggests boots on the ground, Like how how does you know how would the US play a role in security? Uh, you know, without boots in the ground. One, I guess one possibility would be just you know, financing it and sending you know, enormous amounts of weapons and money so that the UA you can hire like Colombian mercenaries to patrol Gaza.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So it remains me seeing what those details are.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: But what's also interesting is that, you know, the Gulf countries had been insisting that a pathway to statehood was essential for their involvement in a most conflict reconstruction. If these reports are accurate, that would suggest that the UAE is UEE at least is backing off of that of that piece of the deal as Saudi Arabia and Israel are continuing their talks towards normalization, where Saudi is insisting on some type of language you know, about a pathway to statehood being included or there or there won't be normalization. You know, when we were I guess when we were last speaking a couple of weeks ago before the Christmas and New Year's break there were there was a lot of talk that a deal was, you know, just moments away from from being inked. Trump putting the January twentieth deadline on it, to me, has always meant that net Yahoo will take every day that's available. It's January eighth, that's that's at least twelve days that he has a free hand to strike Gaza. And the air strikes, oh, have have heated up. They've they've expanded, they've they've been almost around the clock according to people you know in Gaza. So I would not expect him to strike a deal, you know, a moment before he's absolutely forced to by Donald Trump. So but let's let's play a little bit from Trump to get a flavor of how he how he's framing, you know, his his approach to this.
Speaker 5: And these are comments from his press conference yesterday that we played some clips earlier in the show on other things. But he was asked by everyone different questions and touched on Israel.
Speaker 4: Here, yes, here you go, all.
Speaker 3: Hell must be paid.
Speaker 7: They don't release, don't you Well do I have to define it for you?
Speaker 9: Hell will break in if those hostages aren't back.
Speaker 7: I don't want to hurt your negotiation.
Speaker 9: If they're not back by the time I get into office, all hell will break out in the Middle East and it will not be good for AMAS and it will not be good frankly for anyone. All hell will break out. I don't have to say anymore, but that's what it is.
Speaker 4: So there's some real uh gallows humor going on in Gaza. And we're going to talk to Amat Khan, who was in Gaza recently. He was telling me that when he was there, Trump made similar comments all hell will break loose uh and everyone universally that he spoke to, like, does he have any idea what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What what? What would that look like like? And it goes from a rhetorical question to an actual question where it's like, wait a minute, what what would hell on Earth look like if it wasn't this, which is you know, starvation, you know MP rampant disease, it's cold at night, your tent you're living in tents. Your tents are flooding, uh, and air strikes are continuing relentlessly, like and all the hospitals are shut down, Like what so if that's the status quo, what what the hell look like?
Speaker 5: I think, you know, Hamas in a strange way, has some leverage with Donald Trump in that respect, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've taken Hell off the table by already bringing it to Gaza.
Speaker 5: There's that, There's there's also that Trump doesn't want He wants to be the guy who looks like he secured a deal. And so if if he has to get to a deal, that means he needs Hamas's cooperation. So does he want to escalate beyond what you just described, Ryan and be the guy who was behind what he already described for net and Yahoo what six months ago is a public relations problem? Does he want to be overseeing that or you know, does it? Does Hamas have I guess some real leverage in they want a deal and Trump wants a deal. He wants to be the guy who solved the problem and died the conflict and secured what he will say, his piece, whether it's lasting is you know, dubious, but that does actually sort of give Hamas their position some leverage going into a Trump administration.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and over at the drops on News Twitter account, you can find a report from Israeli media that a May document that was approved by Netahu's cabinet describing a the terms that they would agree to for a ceasefire was leaked to the Israeli media, and it's consistent effectively with you know, what Hamas is asking for and is consistent with what Israel is now expected to get from an upcoming ceasefire if one really happens. And actually, I have this right here, so think about that. This is May. The the hostages have been held since May. Some many perhaps have died since then. To get nothing extra to like, to get to get an agreement that was already on the table last May, is such an extraordinary and fundamental failure when it comes to what a the leader of a government's mission is, which is to protect their own people, their own citizens. If you're one of those hostage families, you're asking why, like why is it now January and we're about to ink a deal potentially we're going to inc a deal that was available to us in May, Like what did we achieve between May and January? And the answer can only be satisfaction of a lust for the complete and total destruction of Gaza as a habitable place, because nothing else has improved from Israel's perspective and from the perspective the hostages from May until January. Unless I'm missing something, so.
Speaker 3: Trump, we may see something similar.
Speaker 5: If we see something like that in Israel, we may see something similar also in Ukraine, where there's.
Speaker 4: Still Grit's a dealer was available in like February March twenty twenty two, and better actually than is that, we'll be available now.
Speaker 5: People will say that what really changed is the seriousness of the negotiations. You have this presidential transition in the United States, and that changes the positions and the leverage that the deal makers have.
Speaker 3: So that's the I'd expect to hear, but I think it's a valid point.
Speaker 4: Before we leave, let's just comment a little bit on some of the Antie blaken has been making the rounds and doing some exit interviews. He spoke with the New York Times. Here let me play a little bit of that to what.
Speaker 15: Has become the defining crisis of this era, which is the conflict in Gaza. You came in thinking you could broker a historic agreement between Saudi Arabia and Israel, and then Hamas attacked is on October seventh, with the horrific results which we saw, and Israel's response has been extreme. The latest UN figures put the Palestine in death toll of forty five thousand. Over ninety percent of Gaza's population is now displaced, the population is starving, all hospitals have been destroyed. In November, a UN committee released a report that found Israel's warfare practices quote consistent with the characteristics of genocide. I know you don't agree with that estimation, but do you believe that Israel's acts have been consistent with the rules of war.
Speaker 16: Let's step back for a second and think about where we were on October sixth, and then where we were on October seventh, and where we've been since then.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 16: On October sixth, we were very much pursuing normalization between Saudi Arabia and Israel, and in fact I was scheduled to go to Saudi Arabia and Israel on October tenth trip. Obviously that didn't happen because the events of October seventh, But the purpose of that trip was to work on the Palestinian component of any normalization agreement between Saudi Arabian Israel, because we believed, and the Saudis also said, it was usually important to make sure that if there was going to be a normalization, there was also a pathway toward a Palestinian state.
Speaker 4: End it there for now, because a lot of it from there is just him kind of humiliating himself by trying to present the world in a way that it just isn't. And but that that piece is interesting because what it reveals is just how flawed that the American strategy was that to ignore the Palestinian piece of a Mid East piece. Deal knows that he's saying on October tenth, He's going to go to talk to Israel and Saudi Arabia about the Palestinian issue. Anybody who who's like hearing that and isn't completely absorbed in the propaganda here would be like, wait a minute, You're going to talk to Israel and Saudi Arabia about the Palestinians, Like what about the Palestinians going to talk to them about the Palestinians? Like are they are they're gonna be involved in this conversation about them at all? And if they were involved in a serious way, then it's very difficult to imagine there's an October seventh Hamma was very clear that one of the motivations for October seventh was that they felt like they were being written off of the historical stage, that they were being sidelined by the United States in an effort to normalize the you know, to normalize relations with Israel, normalize and effectively normalize the occupation and just keep the status quo in place indefinitely. And it was a They described it in as a version of a flip to table moment. And if that's the case, then that is a fundamental failure of the of the policy that was being carried out by you know, all all administrations, you know, whether Biden, Trump and everybody since you know, Clinton effectively or actually maybe since Bush.
Speaker 3: I mean, what you heard Blinkett just responding to from the New York Times.
Speaker 5: There was totally unspoken, but it was him like embracing the Trump policy, doubling tripling down on the Abercord policy. I don't know that I agree that it's hard to imagine October seventh happening without the Abraham Accords, but I do agree that it's clearly pushed.
Speaker 3: Them to a flip the table moment.
Speaker 5: Doesn't in any way justify the flip the table moment, but I do agree that that's a component of it, and it makes me wonder, as many people are whether Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Right some of the Abraham Accords. You'd have to have you have to have real, genuine these talks going on that everybody believed were serious. And if that, if those were happening, my argument would be, then there wouldn't have been an October seventh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting, but.
Speaker 4: I mean Hamas would have to be brought into them, Yeah, as the power in Gaza. Yeah, that's an if that is impossible to conceive of, because the purpose of Israel helping to prop up a Hamas in Gaza was that. So those talks aren't happening.
Speaker 5: I mean the Hamas Charter, which was changed from obviously to just talk about the Israel like the foundational principle of Israel's existence.
Speaker 3: I think there's an ideological.
Speaker 5: Part there, an a geological component there that makes it I think likely that you know, in October seventh could happen sort of at any given moment until there's something. That's why peace talks are always so depressing, because.
Speaker 4: It's interesting how an organization like HAMASC can get its hand forced. You know, it wasn't because they never necessarily had a change of heart that they changed their charter, and I think it was twenty seventeen to embrace it, to embrace the two state deals. That there was public pressure from from Palestinians, it's a good point to move in that direction, which then led to the twenty eighteen the Great March of Return, which was these non violent protests in Gaza that would mark march to the fence. But we're organized by Gaza Civil Society and initially had at an arm's length at best relationship with Hamas and Maas saw them as is not helpful to their and not part of their ideological project. Hamas eventually, because they were so popular, had to come around for political reasons and and kind of embrace them. Everybody knows how those ended. Is IDF troops outside of the fence shot something like forty thousand people on arm, you know, most unarmed people, almost all of them unarmed, and we're shooting for legs, you know, shooting people's legs for sport, as a as a UN report has has has laid out. And then with the collapse of that nonviolent movement, Hamas then has more political capital to organize toward a toward a violent response.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's interesting to me is is there a it does. Does the Trump camp recognize that there's there's something serious when Hamas says that Abraham the Abraham Accords were a factor and sort of pushing them towards October seventh? Do they take that seriously? Do they believe that hamasas sincere when they say that, or do they continue to think the Abraham Accords were the triumph of US policy to Israel? And the answer to that is they continue to think the Abraham Accords were just sort of an indisputed triumph. And that doesn't mean you can't recognize that they were, you know, keeping Palestinians out of the loop, had you know, downstream consequences, But it doesn't seem like there's recognition of that. And so it's actually just I think it's really hard to predict the particulars of Trump's Israel policy in this next administration. We can predict obviously the broad swath of it is, you know, like deep support, but what does it look like in practice? How does he influence negotiations? That I think is less easy to predict.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we'll see. I think it's reasonable that we might actually get a ceasefire deal right around the nineteenth or twentieth. Whether it holds, I think is a is a totally different question. Yeah, and what that looks like might be. It might be a deal on paper that Israel violates regularly, like if you notice, like the hes Bela Israel deal is getting very close to completely collapsing. But Israel has bombed Hesbela dozens scores, maybe hundreds of times since the quote unquote sees fire deal. So we'll see. Up next, we're going to be joined by American philanthropist i'm Ed khan Imed. Thanks for joining us here. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thanks Ryan, Thanks Emily, and so.
Speaker 4: With you today, we want to talk about a couple of things. One, you were fairly recently in Gaza. You organized a shipment of humanitarian supplies into the Strip and and you went with your shipment or you went alongside your shipment. And we had promised our viewers at the time that we would get your take on like how how did you do that, how did you how on earth did you pull that off? And also what was you know, what did you see that we're not seeing just through the images that we get out of Gaza, and we've also done some coverage of something else that you're working on, which is that the need to get the tens of thousands of people who need critical medical care out of Gaza to places that are willing to to to take them in. Whose whose lives are you know, at risk at every moment that they're not being allowed to get to get that treatment. So I just I'll just start here by you. You had shared, uh this one one of here's one video of your trip, so tell us a little bit about like where you are and what your impression was as you're getting here.
Speaker 7: That's called the middle area of Gaza kanyunissel Malassie. They are a series of tented caps and you can see that it's children, and that's what you see everywhere in Gaza, you see children. You don't really see anything else. You see children. This was a community building exercise and just sort of a kid's activity. Obviously, the schools are all destroyed and they just try to keep the kids busy, so we just walked into it. The kids were dancing the Dubka Palestinian dance and there were various performers and sort of we just came in to view it, and you know, you're just overwhelmed by what these kids are experiencing. What they're experiencing is something no child should ever have to experience, and actually no child has experienced what they're experience and saying they live in tents almost every night of the year, they listen to two hundred and fifty pound bombs, five hundred pound bombs, and sometimes two thousand pound bombs landing near them. They have friends that have been killed and they don't know when their time will be, but they just continue. So you know, you can see them smiling and cheerful, and it's almost amazing because none of these kids have had protein for a month or two, and none of them have had They may mainly eat but one time a week at one time a day, but they still smile. So you're struck by that.
Speaker 4: And is it bread? Like, what's the what's the thing that they're able to get the most?
Speaker 7: There really isn't anything that you can count on. It just depends on what these eraarly authorities will allow in and it's sort of idiosyncratic. It just sort of happens, you know, sort of sometimes there'll be enough food in the markets, and sometimes there won't. Sometimes the food will be very expensive in the markets, and sometimes it won't. So there's no rhyme or reason to any of it, you know, I sort of I've told you I think from the beginning that the essentially the Israeli government has decided they don't necessarily want to kill everybody at once because they think it's probably not something they can get away with. But what they do is allow sort of the minimum calorie counting. So you know, people are just getting by on whatever whatever is available that day, a lot of dry goods, you know, sort of canned canned stuff, but it's you know, it's nothing. I don't know, it's nothing anyone, you know, sort of any of your viewers would be comfortable with or I don't know how many people would survive in the US on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I'll let Emily let you jump in one quitch. So shortly, yeah, shortly after October seventh, you would you would told me as as Israel unleashed, it's its response what you thought their plan was. And now here we are a year and a half later, and it feels like everything is going according to the plan that you kind of you thought that they were playing out at the time, what it and and so I think that that kind of gives your assessment an extra layer of credibility because it's it's really been born out the last year and a half. What what what did you see coming? And what have you seen unfold?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: I think very clearly Israeli government wants all Palestinians out right like uh, and they can't do it all at once, so they have created conditions that are unlivable and at some points and I they will and I think all American officials are aware of this, and all probably all European officials are aware of this, because it's just it's pretty black and white.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: They don't want to kill everybody, They just want everybody out. So they've they've killed plenty of people, and people are living under horrible conditions, and they just want to get rid of all Palestinians from Gaza in the West Bank and sort of remake Judaea and Samaria. And I think that's you know, that's Prime Minister not know who's plan. I mean, it's just very clear. So I suppose now that will be up to President Trump to decide whether that's going to happen or not. You know, I don't know, Like it's like a there really aren't any world leaders who seem to they've sort of been detached from any sort of empathy of the situation because what the situation inside, it's truly unlivable. I mean, it's sort of bombs, NonStop, artillery NonStop, F fifteen's, F sixteens, F thirty fives dropping massive bombs. You're sort of every fifteen minutes, you're shaking the you know, whatever wherever you're staying. If you're in a tent, it's shaking, if you're in some kind of structure, it's shaking. And you know, the trauma is just unimaginable.
Speaker 5: If you were to sure you have but talk to American officials, let's say Opera and good faith and tell them or persuade them that it is possible to not just provide the minimum calori account, but to bring in more food to make the situation for people living in Gosam more livable while also protecting their security concerns. For instance, what would you tell them, How would you explain to them that it is possible to feed these children and also like just bring in more aid. Maybe you have had those conversations.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it is possible. I've done it in Ukraine, right like, so they you know, the Russians don't bomb all the border crossings and they don't bomb all the food trucks. I think this administration just doesn't care, right like. So it's just not you know, they'll just lying about well everywhere out of their mouth is just lying. So I'm hope, I'm optimistic that maybe priced and travel will will not want to see these images and not want to see this this situation and you know, sort of earned babies and little kids in their tent sleeping and then you know, sort of next thing, you know, they're dead. You know, I don't know. But for yeah, for American officials, let's say middle level American officials, yeah, I think they're all horrified by what's going on. They know what's going on, they see the briefings, but you know, the decision makers and the Biden administration just don't care. You know, they're just just very dishonest about all of it. They know exactly the numbers that have gone in, they know how many people, they know what it takes to keep these people fed and healthy. I mean, you're looking at one point one one point two million children, it's over fifty percent of the population. What what security risk of these little girls, you know, sort of hold against the Israelis, Like you know, it's just it's mind boggling all the I try not to pay attention on the stuff that comes out of the like sort of the armshair quarterbacks and the conference goers and but I mean, it's all it's all nonsense. Like you know, I challenge all of them or any of them to come to guys and spend forty eight hours see if they number one make it out alive. And number two are still repeating these idiotic talking points about human shields and security and et cetera.
Speaker 5: Right, or about you know, smuggling things that can be turned into weapons through the food shipments or what's another example like the Hamas hoarding everything that gets into Gaza. From your perspective, you would say, if you go on the ground, it's entirely possible for the United States to back humanitarian aid that's done in a way that gets to the children, and that.
Speaker 7: I mean, to be honest with you, I could do it myself, Like you know, with a sort of group of collaborators, don't even need the United States just make a mess of the whole situation. But yeah, it's not complex at all. There's nothing. Don't let anyone tell you it's complex. I've done it. I've delivered humanitarian assistance to every war zone the last twenty five years. It's it's very doable. I mean, it's just just a matter of whether you're going to, you know, kill everybody delivering a humanitarian assistance. It's just a decision someone may but anything, it would be done, It would be able to, it would be easily done.
Speaker 5: Have you been in touch with any people in the incoming administration or try to get I mean no, Trum don't.
Speaker 7: Really know anyone. I mean, like, I'm not you know, I'm out here in the world. I'm not really just I mean, it's sort of maybe my weakness is I don't I don't go to cocktail parties or sleazy hotel bars and stuff. So I mean that's where all these people hang out. I guess I don't really they don't really run into me. H. In places like the front line in Ukraine or Gaza, Syria. In this place, you don't really see these kind of people around, so I don't know, you know, I don't I try to get the message out.
Speaker 4: Can can you give us some examples of because I've been following your attempt to like get this shipment in and some other shipments in over over months and months and months, can you give people some examples of the kind of hold ups that you want wound up getting along along the way and right.
Speaker 7: So then, yeah, I mean it's a good question. Essentially, I made a decision, Well, WFP is great on the food and that's their mandate and they do that. I sort of did a survey in Gaza and understood that there were specific medicines that were not getting into Gaza for whatever reason, and I decided to go and source them. And I purchased medicines around Europe, and you know, a few containers worth of medicines. And I've done this a few times. And there's a process through the Israeli government. It's the Israeli government agencies called CogAT, which I think you know that everything has to go through COGAD. So I apply through CogAT and say, look this is what I have, this is where I purchased it from this is where it was made. This is how much it costs. This is how much each item is. This is what's in this box. This is what's in this box, and this is palette number this and everything has to be totally itemized, and you know, sort of they approve it, and then it's just a long process of getting the actual stuff physically in. So in my case, one time, I tried to send it over you know, like I'm gonna somehow still optimistic to try to make things work. So on one of the shipments, I tried to send it over Jaylots, the Joint Logistics over the shore, which was the pier that the United States government tried to tried to work. Yeah, and and it didn't. Yeah, it actually went and then was stuck by the next to the pier, and then the pier closed, and so then I had to look for another solution and wound up shipping it from Cyprus, where where the Jaylots was based, to ash Dot, Israel. And then there's just a process like the ship, the stuff's on the ship, the ship has to be cleared to come into port. That's a few days. Then the ship had the stuff has to be cleared to unload off the port. That's another few days, and this sort of things like it's it's just not something anyone has really taken too seriously. In the United States government really cares about to be honest with you, because you know, and this is all urgent stuff.
Speaker 4: Any of that normal when it comes to humanitarian relief.
Speaker 7: No, of course not. You know, sort of if you need this stuff, you need to get it in right, like there's no you know what it is, you know exactly every detail. You know how much I paid for it, you know how I paid for it, Like I provide like bank account like everything, and you know, it's just like one reason after another too. You know, one day the truck's about to go in and the generator breaks at one of the borders, and I'm like, this is one of the most sophisticated countries in the world and their generator broken. Now the borter is closed, you know. So, I mean, I got lots of stories that I won't board you with. It's kind of ridiculous if you get into the my new show, like I think, I try to forget all the stuff that happens because I might, you know, sort of just get depressed.
Speaker 5: That's actually really interesting. I think we would welcome many examples of that, people bored by them. And maybe i'm you could also flesh out the parallel that you're talking about with Ukraine is a great example right now, because the same people who are, you know, saying Israel has to do this, would would say the opposite about Putin. If you could maybe flesh out what you've seen, like the ability to get humanitarian aid to people over there, that would.
Speaker 3: Be It's easy.
Speaker 7: And Ukraine is very easy because there the borders are open, you know, not the Russian border and not the Belarus border, but you have Poland, you have Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Moldova, and those are all relatively friendly countries and there are no issues. You can get whatever you want. You know, do you declare it. There's a process, but it goes right over and into wherever it's needed. In the case of Gaza, and like I said, there's nothing, there's no carollary for Gaza. There's never been a situation where all the borders are closed and one entity controls what goes in or out. And so I sort of say, and you know, people take this the wrong way, but I sort of say it's as if the Russians, if you want to think about Gaza, it's as if the Russians controlled all the border, so they controlled Poland and Hungary and Slovakia and Romania, like they controlled what was going And I mean they could, they literally could bomb those borders, but they don't. But in the situation of Gaza, there's just no there's no other way to get anything in other than through Israel and through you know, sort of the good graces of the Israeli authorities. And I think there are some good actors in the Israeli government, but you know, they have their marching orders, and their marching orders are very clearly let the absolute minim in and no one's pushing us. And you know, the Biden administration again just you know, fumbled whatever leverage they had, and they have all the leverage because two to three Giant Air Force planes land full of weapons every day for the last over a year. But they just never pushed in. So these Raelies understand like, look, this is not important to the United States, so we'll just we'll keep doing what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Can you since you've spent so much time in Ukraine, can you compare how Israel approaches Palestinian civilian infrastructure and how Putin approaches Ukrainian civilian infrastructure.
Speaker 7: I mean, there are some similarities, but you know, there's literally nothing left in Gaza. I mean, you see my videos, like there's literally essentially when you enter Karm Shalom ironically named border crossing, you drive along side of Gaza in Israel. So to your right as you're driving south is Gaza. On to your left is Israel, and your sort of life is normal, and they're shopping malls and gas stations, et cetera. And when you enter a Kram Shalom, they're giant reinforced walls thirty feet high that are one after another, and so you sort of zigzag through these walls, and once you've crossed those walls, all you see is devastation. As soon as you enter, it's just rubble in every direction, and the first thing you see are kids playing in the rubble, and so there's no carllary for that. I you know, it's kind of wild that the amount of rubble in Gaza, which is the size of Philadelphia or Las Vegas, is I think twice to three times the amount of rubble that's in Ukraine, which is the size of Texas, you know, and the Wars three years old in Ukraine, so there's it's actually I tell the Ukrainians that I come there to uh I recently went directly from Gaza to Ukraine, and I said, and I actually went to the front and I said, you know, I'm here to relax after Gaza. So that was everybody laughed, because what else do you do?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, because you had sent me one video from a place where were sleeping where that it's just this seemed like the windows were rattling all night long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's bombs.
Speaker 7: It's the GPU thirty GBU thirty nine. It's a glided glided air bomb that has electronics on it, which you know, you can guide it. They're just massive bombs and they just drop them over and over and over again, and every no matter where you're sleeping, you'll hear them all night long, and they shake the ground and they shake everything, and you know, essentially the what they do is if there's a guy they're looking for who they think is humas, if anyone's around that guy, he's dead or she's dead, or the four year old kid is dead, and you know, sort of these bombs, aren't you know, checking people's IDs. They're just killing.
Speaker 3: The New York Times just confirmed in that long investigation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's it's indisputable, like literally, you know, sort of there's nothing precise about any of it. They could be precise if they wanted to, and sort of you know, when you're driving around Daza, it's it's like kind of like in your thoughts because if some sort of character that they're looking for happens to wind up next to your car, you're got. They're not you know, they're not really asking questions or confirming or any and that's just that's that's you know, like literally nobody can deny this. And again the entire United States decision making authority knows this, and that's just the way it is. So there's no Carol Area. Actually the Russians don't do. I mean, they they've killed plenty of civilians, but it's just a different level.
Speaker 4: If the Israeli goal is to depopulate Gaza, why don't they let at least the injured people out. I think they're working across purposes to that goal.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's part of the plan, right, Like you get the people so desperate to the point where once you you know, sort of move onto that mechanism of getting everybody out, then everybody just goes. But until that point, you're going to make life as miserable as possible for everything. So we have the situation now where they're between. I mean, they're probably about ten thousand kids who either have pre existing conditions like cancer or have been injured significantly and can't get out.
Speaker 8: And there is a.
Speaker 7: Process with the World Health Organization to get people out, and these reelis will sort of approve five to ten percent of the cases. And you know, I know these cases. I've seen these kids and they're literally sitting in a tent with no chemotherapy, just just dying. And their case was rejected and you don't get an answer as to why it was rejected. And again this is another failure of the US administration. And sort of it's like they just don't care, right, Like there's no other answer for it. Why would you, why would you, let you know, five, ten, fifteen thousand kids who are in urgent need of medical care and can be evacuated out just sit there. But you know, it's across the board, like there's no blood pressure medication, so people just die of heart attacks in their tents. It's on and on and on and on.
Speaker 5: Well, I was just gonna ask, like a hypothetical, if President Ryan Grimm were being inaugurated on January twentieth, is it on the humanitarian front, not the military front, but on the humanitarian front. Is it in the power of an incoming United States administration almost flip a switch on the humanitarian stuff and use the leverage and say you are letting these in. Like, how theoretically simple would it be if someone wanted to, you know, increase humanity the input of humanitarian aid.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you decided that you don't want little kids to be suffering twenty four to seven, you could scale up madame humanitarian aid in days. The United States government knows exactly what the needs are, you know, the United Nations knows exactly what the needs are, what the calorie count is, medicine, et cetera. And it could happen immediately. I mean, the resources are out there, the stuff's out there, and you would just tell the Israelis, look, I can't abide by this, this is wrong, and and and change it tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Literally, Well, I'm Ed. I always appreciate your insights and also what you're doing for the people of Gaza, and thank you, thank you so much for joining us. Anything else you'd want to add for people.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, like I think people are frustrated and trying to figure out how they can help and what they can do, and I think they should just keep keep at it. It's it's tough, it's really it's really sad. But the people in Gaza appreciate them. They they they hear them, They understand that there are people with them that feel their their their plight, that are aware of them, and I think people just need to really just push the the decision makers. Unfortunately, we're at a point in this world where there are just no world leaders who really you know, there's just there's no empathy. It's just sort of apathy, I suppose. And you know, there are certain things like would regard to the children's evacuations, that's something that has to happen, increasing the amount of humanitarian aid. It has to happen. Is again the population. You know, when they keep talking about Hamas Hamas, it's like they're about twenty thousand before like fifteen months ago. There were let's say, twenty thousand Hamas soldiers or whatever you want to call them. I don't know how many there are now, but you're it's a war against women and children. Essentially seventy percent of the population are women and children. So and literally when you drive around Gayza, you just see children like that's the thing you're struck in, just rubble in children and you're wondering, like, where is this? You know Humas and I'm sure they are there, but you just don't see them. So I tell everybody to keep the faith, and you know, we'll we'll make a change one of these days.
Speaker 4: We'll see I'm ed con Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 7: Thanks Ryan, Thanks Emily.
Speaker 4: All right, well that'll that'll do it for us today. Thanks everybody. Also, thank you everybody for the kind words over the last couple of weeks. It's really meant a lot too to me and my family. I'll keep you updated as we continue on that front. Emily, anything else.
Speaker 5: Now, your family is amazing and all the breaking points, subscribers and viewers are amazing.
Speaker 3: So thank you to everybody. Thank you for supporting us into another year, and we'll see you back here soon.
Speaker 4: See then