Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. I'm Guy Johnson taking you here to the air Bus headquarters in to Lose, France, where cutting out to technology is a day to day activity. We're at the Airbus summits where we're discussing everything from sustainability to hydrogen to what happens with the next generation of aircraft and the technology that is going to go into them.
Speaker 2: And I have the great.
Speaker 1: Pleasure of being joined here by Gilm Fourie, the CEO of Airbus. Gilm fantastic to be with you here at this summit at the Airbus is home here in to Lose the summit, we're asked at the moment that the big focus is sustainability. A lot of technology is currently being pushed into this space as we try and make aviation technology. The big technology that we're talking about is sustainable aviation fuel that's going to do a lot of the heavy lifting, but hydrogen and all kinds of other technologies beckon in the future.
Speaker 2: The target we have right now is.
Speaker 1: To make aviation net zero carbon by twenty fifty.
Speaker 2: Is that still achievable?
Speaker 3: It remains the target, and there are plenty of reasons to believe that it can be achieved.
Speaker 4: There are also some challenges.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons we have the summit, the ABBE Summit, is to discuss those topics, to understand better as a problem, what goes well, what needs to be done differently. At abbaswill remain committed to the twenty to fifty objective of carbon neutrality. That's what the industry has agreed together, and tomorrow we will be sharing a lot of good news on the progress. We know that on the sustainableviation fuel that's a challenge and we need to do more work on it.
Speaker 1: Is it going to be possible with Donald Trump in the White House? He doesn't seem to see the United States as the forefront of green technology. The fact is going in the opposite direction. Can twenty fifty be achieved with Donald Trump in the White House?
Speaker 3: Well, the progress we need to make to decarbonize aviation by twenty to fifty relies on different pearans. Is the planes, the plane themselves, that's what we're doing. And for planes, competitiveness means fuel efficiency and fuel efficiency means sustainability. So the two objective are aline. I say, economy and ecology are aline. So we'll keep going, and airlines will continue to buy, preferably planes that burn less fuel, whatever the fuel. For the development of stuff, it's a bigger challenge. It's important to have unity. We need a global level playing field on suff and obviously we need to understand better what did we mean for the US and to what extent the others will keep going at the same pace.
Speaker 2: What should you go to the line?
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, we.
Speaker 3: See different dynamics in different places of the world. Europe has gone quite alone on the fit for fifty five, putting mandates on the use of staff.
Speaker 4: It's a different way.
Speaker 3: It was already a different way with the previous US administration with IRA and subsidies for SAFF and China is going also another way. That's one of the problems. We need this to be unified.
Speaker 2: It just came back from China.
Speaker 1: What is what kind of technology are they going to once again leapfrog in the way that we've seen maybe them doing in electric cars.
Speaker 3: I think they are really serious on the transition. They're really serious on decurbanized energy. From the use of solar, of winds, of nuclear. They grow I think half or two thirds of the additional capacity of decurbanized energy last year was coming from China, so they're really moving forward at.
Speaker 4: The right pace.
Speaker 3: And yes, there is a likelihood that they would go faster than others on decurbonized technologies with the risk that we would see in adiation in fuels what we see today in electric car. So we're really taking themselves, but theres also a partner we can rely on for the development of stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about what is happening here in Europe. It seems at the moment security is more important to Europe than sustainability. Do you see it that way? Is that how it is developing. I don't think it's more important.
Speaker 3: I think it's a precon You need security to have prosperity, and you need prosperity to fund your climate transition and your decurbanization. So security comes first, and that's what we are looking and what we're seeing in Europe. I don't think there is a competition between the different investments, at least at the moment, at least for ABBUS. We have different businesses, we have a strong balance sheet to fund the different investments. But yes, there is more that we'll go to space, to defense than it was in the past, and that's an opportunity for us because we think it's important for the security of Europe.
Speaker 1: You talk about space, one of the key piece is the technology that Europe is relying on at the moment, is being used heavily in Ukraine is obviously starlk. How quickly can Europe replicate something similar to what we say with Starlin?
Speaker 3: Starlink is clearly a breakthrough. The constellation is already large in the air. We have consulation in Europe that are flying already, but they are much smaller. So we need a demand at scale. We need countries to come together with a common need and we need the stry to come together to supply. So Europe needs scale. In terms of technologies. We have very similar technologies, but it needs to go into a project at scale. How quickly can you do well, it's going to take a bit of time. We're moving as fast as we can. We have indicated that we are in discussions with Leonardo, our friends from Leonardo and Tales to create a joint company for satellite manufacturing.
Speaker 1: Can I think about that as an airbus of space? Is that what we look we're talking about?
Speaker 4: It is an ambus of space.
Speaker 3: It is a joint venture between companies, so that's probably a bit different, But.
Speaker 4: That's creating the scale in Europe to be able to be competitive on a global scale.
Speaker 2: Can you do the same thing in defense?
Speaker 4: It has to be done.
Speaker 3: It's going to be probably more difficult because the sovereignty for security and defense it's at the level of nations of countries, and we need countries to come together with common projects to create that scale and then having the industry serving.
Speaker 4: These project that scale.
Speaker 3: But we're too fragmented in defense in Europe. That's very clearly written in the Hage Report. There's something that is now acknowledged. We need to find those solutions.
Speaker 1: So in terms of how you're thinking about how you develop air bus from here, over the last few years it has been civil focused. Do you see space defense becoming similar scale arms of air bus? People have often talked about defense big subscale at air bus. Is that going to be the future? Is the defense arm going to be subscale? Is space going to be subscale? How quickly can you get it to scale and will it be of something similar to what we see behind us in the civil side.
Speaker 3: We are not only an airbus in commercial. We're also an Abbus in defense and in helicopters. We have created the scaling helicopters already in the past, and we are the number one helicopter manufacturer in the world by a turnover and by number of helicopters.
Speaker 4: That's something we are doing in.
Speaker 3: Other areas of business than commercial. Yes, we are also an Airbus in defense with projects like the Eurofighter, with project like the Aphon of Them, where European countries partner together to create a product that is the best in the world at the moment. But we need more of this, and it is the DNA of Airbus to bring collaboration, to bring partnerships and to create a project that at the right scale and therefore the right scale of investments and therefore the right competitiveness.
Speaker 1: Do you think Donald Trump is bringing Europe together? Do you think it's going to euro realise on the crisis? Is this a big enough crisis to bring up?
Speaker 3: Europe is making progress through crises. We are challenged by a number of things changing in the world. The fact that Europe needs to take security and defense in its own hands. It's something that in my view really makes sense, and that's what Europe is doing under a number of pressure points.
Speaker 4: Ukraine is one of them.
Speaker 3: What's happening in Ukraine and also what Donald Trepp points to achieve is another quession point on Europe to take its destiny in its hands.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump talks about his favorite word's been terrorists. What do you expect in terms of tens How already is it impacting airbus? The aircraft behind the eight three twenty one XLR comes from around the world. We were joking earlier that now it's comes from France. The engines come from America and France. The aircraft is an aircraft of the world. But that creates vulnerability. How are you thinking about tars What is the impact being already?
Speaker 3: Well, that's an important point for industry. We add tariffs on aircraft four to five years ago between the US and Europe and has been a lose lose and therefore we had a ceasefire in twenty twenty one. And I think this experience has been interesting in showing that for a sort of North Atlantic ecosystem, both sides of the Atlantic does only lose lose in putting tariffs. We have not heard about tariffs on aviation at the moment on aerospace.
Speaker 4: I think that's repairing. I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 3: There's nothing more I would say really to prepare them to communicate to Exchange to explain we have a lot of infrastructure and manufacturing capabilities assembly line in the US. We're procuring from the US, we're selling to the US, and the US manufacturers are doing the same with Europe.
Speaker 4: So tariffs in the middle of.
Speaker 3: The Atlantic would really be a big burden for both sides, and maybe that would be even tougher for the US manufacturers.
Speaker 1: Have you been putting extra resources into the Alabama parts?
Speaker 2: Have you been stockpiling?
Speaker 1: Have you been There's no kind of preparations or anything that you have been taking on thus far in order to get ready for something that could be coming.
Speaker 3: No, we keep doing what we've been doing so far, relying on Alabama. Indeed, that's a plant where we have a three final assembly line. One is not yet delivering planes, but the two others are. So we are copuring from everywhere around the world assembling there in the US with the US jobs two.
Speaker 4: US airlines as well.
Speaker 3: So I think we are key to the US ecosystem, to the Vision ecosystem, and we think that plays a.
Speaker 4: Big role in how tariffs are targeted.
Speaker 2: Okay, final quick question.
Speaker 1: You sits on actually the Business Council in America. You speak to CEOs there, What message do you take to them from Europe? What is the message that should be coming to a US business and b the US administration.
Speaker 3: Well, at the moment, I think there's a lot of questioning of what where all this is going, what it will mean for each industry since a bit and wait and c mode, to understand better for how long tariffs could come, who will be impacted, how to respond to the tariffs if any. As I told you, we are not directly targeted with tariffs at the moment, but indeed there is a lot of questioning and to understand better what is changing and how to adapt. We are in the world that is fast changing and it's a lot about adapting to those changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great to be here to Louise, thank you for so much, for you for inviting us here to have us as headquarters.
Speaker 2: In Toulouse in France. Kimfoury, the CEO of of US