Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Ryan Jang. The Daily Show is on break this week, but don't worry. We put together some special highlights for you to catch up on in case you miss them.
Speaker 1: We'll be back on September tenth.
Speaker 2: Until then, enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 3: For young people right now. No, you're good. How are you? Oh, you got so many we're gonna we're gonna ruin this so much. You have no idea what we've got planning. You are walking into thunderdome. Uh no, you're gonna Honestly, like, we do this all the time every generation, like even the greatest generation, Like I mean, they dropped atomic bombs on people like don't don't let the perspective. We always think that the world is at its worst in the moment that we're in it. But like, you have to remain optimistic because the images that they present to us are to heighten your fear. That's how they make their Oh you're gonna love the show tonight. I found I'm gonna love the show. But so what do you what are you thinking? I think a lot of young people are a little bit not happy with big choices, tendis or I guess I feel like as b our voice does, it's matter, Oh, it so matters. Yeah, in fact, your voice is Can I tell you something about advertisers? Do you know that advertisers they look at different demographics, but the largest demographic that they look at is eighteen to twenty four. That's the one that means everything to them. Use that power, the power of the person. I'm sixty one, I'm not even listed anymore. Like they're literally companies would be like, what about people over fifty five? And they're like, I think they might be dead, Like, don't discount the power that you guys have. You have a tremendous amount. I would think on Instagram, I would tell them on Instagram, well, I don't know. This is the fight man. No generation ever feels empowered or seen or any of those things. But what I would suggest is trust your discomfort because you clearly feel it. But discomfort is a wonderful motivator. It's sort of the difference between stress and anxiety. Like action is the antidote to anxiety, and if you feel anxiety, it will lessen as you take action, small actions like a little bit every day. You know, I have young people that live in my house and I usually see them after three when they've woken up, and generally they just want me to make him a bagel. So it's different. But honestly, like that discomfort will spur you on, I'm sure of it and your generation, and then you'll be in a position to save us. But you won't want to think everyone should have on their shelf. Wow, that's a great question. And I really thought you were gonna end it with what's a book? Because you get that a lot from the kids. Now, sir, I have a question, what's a book? And I was gonna say, it's like a movie you flip, I would say. So this may sound antiquated, I was. I feel like I was raised on Kurt Vonnegut, and so any Kurt Vonnegut. I had the whole from Player Piano to Breakfast Champions to slaughter House Five to you know, Mother and all of them. And he was my favorite author by far, and I felt like he educated me in the genre of optimistic cynical humanism, like the thing that you're talking about, how do you maintain? So he's a guy who was an author who came of age. He fought in World War Two, he saw Dresden. That's what slaughter House five was about. It was about his experiences seeing the worst that people could do. And people always mistook his cynicism as or his I guess I should say his dryness as cynicism, but it was really idealism. He believed so much in people that he couldn't help but be somewhat disappointed that we were blowing it in the way that we were blowing it. But I would say, line your desk with Kurt Vonnegut, and you cannot go wrong. And I was lucky enough to get to interview him when he was you know, hadn't passed away yet, no, but he came on, and when he passed away, his son sent me he was also a really wonderful caricaturist, sent me a doodle of his that he had inscribed to me before he passed. So it's one of my most cherished. But I would say, Kurt Bonnagat, you can't go wrong, and like Playboy the best piece of advice. Wow, that is such an end of life question. That really is that nobody ever comes to like a twenty two year old like best advice and they're like, well, be hero.
Speaker 1: On liquor.
Speaker 3: Never been sicker, all right, the best advice I'm trying to think of good advice. I don't really I don't seek counsel in that way. Do you like a mentor. I didn't have a mentor. This was back in like late seventies, early eighties, so there were no mentors. I was raised feral, So I don't have a ton of a ton of advice. Oh here's one. This is a good one. So I used to host a show on MTV. It was a talk show, and then it got bought by Paramount to replace our Sineo. So I was the natural replacement for our Sineo because I think a lot of people are like, hey, the hip African American guy, let's stick a maybe small jew in his place and see what happens. And so the show was on for like nine months and it got canceled and we were all very sad. And when your name is on it and they tell you to get out of the building like, it's very hurtful. David Letterman came on the final show, and on the final show he said to me, don't confuse cancelation with failure. And I thought that was really interesting. And then in the commercial break he said, although this is also a failure, he just didn't want me to confuse it causes you had a question about college campuses. Okay, so the cafeteria. If you want to go by the quad, you're gonna look for the quad. Usually the food is near the quad. I just wanted to ask.
Speaker 2: Navigation, secondary elections, Indian campuses, and indiging positions.
Speaker 1: To listen.
Speaker 3: The beautiful thing about college is that it's built for that. It's built for you to push the limits of who you think you are and who you think you want to be, and it's a wonderful experience. Uh. The thing that I would say to you is have the courage in the internal barometer that you've developed over the years for yourself about right and wrong, and don't necessarily just allow the conditions that you find yourself in to shape that you. You're here for a reason and you're that way for a reason, and be strong in that and learn be open to people, but be convicted. It's you know, it's a good I think it's a wonderful experience for kids. And I don't worry. But you know, gen Z, there's sout you know, it's every generation is like that generation sucks. We were awesome, and I'm like, eh, I know my generation, like we were doing whippets in eleventh grade.
Speaker 4: Like, the Democratic National Convention is in full swing and the delegates are feeling good. So our news team went over to see if anything could ruin the good mood.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows I'm known for my positive vibes and happy, go lucky attitude, So let's go talk to.
Speaker 1: Some left wing nudes cure the DNC.
Speaker 2: Every convention has a theme, and this year is Democratic Engine. It's all about the vibes.
Speaker 1: What's the vibes to at the convention?
Speaker 4: Upbeat, spark sparkling, positive.
Speaker 1: I'm all about the motivating vibe. Are you feeling electric? I do feel electric. Don't shop dud, don't do who. That's a little electric. That's a real postal vibe, electric, top tier vibe.
Speaker 5: I went like viral like last week.
Speaker 1: While having good vibes.
Speaker 3: Just walking down the streets.
Speaker 1: There are people who have nothing to do with the DNC, have nothing to do with a campaign, and they're talking about the campaign. It just feels like it feels like we're going to do this.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it feels so good. It's almost as though the Democrats won't mak this up.
Speaker 1: You areither of you recall it prime when the vibes were so high from a political event. No, no, not really.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: For me, it was when Patty Leavelle couldn't find for background singers at.
Speaker 1: The night to enmetrics neat folk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping for another one of that to happen here. Let's say it together, one, two, three.
Speaker 2: The vibes are great, but should they be the country's in serious trouble and we don't know how commonaw is going to fix any of it. Maybe the Democrats here will want the chance to drop the vibes and talk policy.
Speaker 1: Manufacturing jobs may be disappearing, those.
Speaker 6: Are not disappearing.
Speaker 1: You know what you're reading if you're reading this book, Tom Garbage. Wow, Okay, forget the policy and let's go back to the vibes.
Speaker 4: Who do you think Kamala should pick for the Secretary of Vibes Janet Yellen screen of Carpenter O S.
Speaker 1: Briena Carpenter.
Speaker 5: Do you think that vibes are more important or would you say policy is more important?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I don't know if you really understand politics that much.
Speaker 3: I work in politics.
Speaker 1: All Do you mind if I cop some of your vibe right now? Which one would you?
Speaker 3: Lie?
Speaker 1: This one? I'm patriotic.
Speaker 5: Lie.
Speaker 2: Besides, with some of these notes, you maybe we don't want to talk policy.
Speaker 1: And let's sing it together, harmonize with poor we're gonna get there. Which you'll vibe of the comma border policy. You know, I really.
Speaker 5: Appreciated the way that she spoke to it during her rally in Atlanta. It's an economic issue. You cannot just say that we need to port from Relian immigrants like Datie vanst. I know it's extremely important, and I feel like she's put forward meaningful policies and Republicans have shot them down. Republicans are all about politics and red and blue. My public policy major. I want to find solutions. We literally had a bill on the table and Republicans suddenly no, it's.
Speaker 2: You're really killing my vibrant goodbye.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount podcasts