Speaker 1: Yo, what's up? You're off in God's.
Speaker 2: Country with Room and is also known as The Brother Something, where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and the great outdoors, two things that go together like Shanaia Twain and Leper print.
Speaker 1: Or Squirrels and hawks.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by I couldn't tell if that was a squirrel at the hawk, Yeah, brought to you by me.
Speaker 1: We have Lauren walkin Zone.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: What a cool chick. She killed her first turkey by herself last last spring. She's been hunt with her dad her whole life. That was her first time to do it solo. She tells that whole story. She's been out with It's awesome. Oh yeah, she's been out with Morgan. She is going out this year with Riley and zach Topp. Just on her way up, Man, on her way up. Great singer killer. A couple of songs, nasty, nasty, little vocal experiences. In that podcast she flexed for sure to plead a good one for a grave it. See, I'll be sure and stick around for that. We got any uh, got any roasts?
Speaker 2: Jumps? Just sent me one. Let's check it out. I'll read it. I have not seen this.
Speaker 4: Five stars roast us you might get we all know is the name of this uh post roast.
Speaker 1: We all know that Dan is.
Speaker 2: The better hunter, Read is the better fisherman, and neither one of them is over five to ten. My headphones fell out. Not true, Not true, dude. I'm five eleven and a half, five eleven and I have I've always been five eleven and a half. I'm not six foot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who's the person JB. Gules? Oh yeah, he knows well coming.
Speaker 4: There's a few things wrong with that one. I'm the better hunter and the better fisherman, and you're definitely not a five eleven and a half.
Speaker 1: All those I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think the I think the wall would disagree. But you know the wall, yeah, man, the wall of mounts here and uh coming down the pod would disagree with you know.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that. Hey, be sure and go.
Speaker 4: Uh if you're a listener to the to the podcast, think about becoming a subscriber. Subscribe on YouTube, subscribe on you like.
Speaker 1: That I did. I didn't know that you could subscribe to us.
Speaker 4: But subscribe on on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcast. We appreciate your support, but we would really appreciate it if you followed us, subscribe to us, and left us a five star comment.
Speaker 2: Tell us the best or the worst thing about it. The ratings are really happening. We're four to six now we need to get up to about five. Yeah, we need five to the top. I'll go if I could settle for four nine. So it was leaving us no one star rating some early way way way back in the day. Some of those hardcorees. I like that too much. Yeah, No, it's to me all the time.
Speaker 1: All right, we love y'all.
Speaker 4: Appreciate, We appreciate you, appreciate thanks for hanging out in God's Country. Joy stick around for Lauren Watkins, girl Bone.
Speaker 1: Speed. Can you do that? Go look at the camera? Speed me? Yeah, speed, don't do it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I just did a gestures speed.
Speaker 5: Anytime I'm in a video shoot and they're like saying stuff like that, I'm just like, yeah, totally, yeah, I know what they're saying.
Speaker 1: I'm a pro.
Speaker 5: I'm a pro.
Speaker 6: We have well well as.
Speaker 4: Villain, a unicorn, a Turkey coling country music singing and big Buck killing kind of a fan a listener.
Speaker 5: Yeah, apparently exposed.
Speaker 4: Most recently toured with Morgan Wall and last year set to tour with Zach Top Big Fan, Riley Green Big Fan twenty twenty five, We've got miss Lauren.
Speaker 1: Wadkn this out? How does it feel to be a fan of be on the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, honestly, I'm a little bit starstruck. I was totally fine until I came in this room and I was like, oh, I'm but I'm glad we're finally doing this. I feel like we've been trying for what got to say?
Speaker 1: I think you bailed on.
Speaker 5: Well, I had to get married that day.
Speaker 1: I don't know about this excuse the close. We need a doctor's excuse.
Speaker 5: I better tell y'all. I had a legit excuse last time. I was getting married that day.
Speaker 1: So artist married a songwriter too, pretty.
Speaker 5: Pretty wild, crazy thing for me to do.
Speaker 2: That's your only past, though, So you're you've used your credits.
Speaker 5: I know. Well I showed up today, So.
Speaker 1: We're glad. We're glad you met. It's weird that we've never met.
Speaker 4: I know, it is weird because we've met written a couple of times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we know.
Speaker 1: I don't care pretty.
Speaker 5: Well, Yeah I know it's so weird, but I feel like I know y'all both already.
Speaker 2: There's really nothing, there's nothing to not know.
Speaker 1: Hey, did you like win that belt buckle? Or is that just something girls with?
Speaker 5: No? This was actually belongs to my husband, So that's cool. And he always like he just wears the same one every day.
Speaker 1: So can we talk about we do know your husband? Her husband is Will Money?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, song producer, extraordinary.
Speaker 1: He's great, he's great. He is a great long blonde hair, flowing blonde hair.
Speaker 5: He's got better hair than me.
Speaker 1: Old three fifty three fifty, don't get it twisted.
Speaker 5: Yes, funny enough. Yesterday we were driving and he absolutely loves his truck. I mean that's not unique or anything, but I mean loves it. It's like a ninety nine, maybe a ninety eight.
Speaker 1: I can't it's mean it's badass.
Speaker 5: And yesterday we were driving and we passed like another one that looked similar to his, and so of course he's like looking at it, and I was like, what's the difference between and f one fifty and f two fifty three fifty four fifty? And he literally took a deep breath and was like, Okay, so this went on for I'm sure, but I didn't know. I wanted to know.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we saw him in that back allio at our old studio.
Speaker 1: When he came by, he was like he just didn't like that.
Speaker 5: I was like, he has a dear antler on the gear shift.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how he got me.
Speaker 1: I got in is that deer?
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, he's the one.
Speaker 1: He's the one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm imagining how he's got it to where he can.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like cut off where it's like right.
Speaker 4: So he's just like the brow time and the base. I guess he goes a redneck. He's such a red neck.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 4: We like to start the show off with a segment we call what You're mad at? And you can be glad at something or what's you mad at? But since you're a listener, you probably already know. You probably already know the song.
Speaker 6: It got you mad? Just let us what it is.
Speaker 1: What you're mad at?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 6: You kids, might be your boss man or your neighbors.
Speaker 1: Come on, just.
Speaker 6: Scared us.
Speaker 5: What you're mad at? Is that the melody? Sorry?
Speaker 4: I thought you made sip of coffee.
Speaker 5: I am mad at myself because of how directionally challenged I am. And like I was on the way trying to think, like, gosh, what am I mad at today? What could I what's my answer for that? And then I got lost and I was like, well it's me, I am. I can't ever like coming to Nashville or coming to this. Well, I didn't really get lost. I just like, of course had to do a loop around which I can never make it somewhere in one try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's kind of understand. I mean this is kind of a wacky to to road.
Speaker 1: Wacky.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I've how long have you lived here?
Speaker 5: Oh my entire life, oh twenty five years? And I've finally figured out like music row, you know, like at first it was so confusing. Now I kind of understand. It's like you got to find the alley and then go through the alley to get to the parking lots usually behind the building that's right anywhere else that's not like a neighborhood. I told, like literally, I told my manager the other day. We were trying to meet somebody for like a breakfast, and I was like, listen, parking lot is not in front of the building.
Speaker 1: We're not exclusively for that going home.
Speaker 5: I'm not making it to feel.
Speaker 4: That I'm mad at boxes that are hard to open, like like, for instance, we got this Costco huge bag or a huge box of.
Speaker 1: Kitchen trash bags. And it's not like it's not.
Speaker 4: Just like the pole of the box just doesn't open easy.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to open.
Speaker 4: It's like they've glued everything, every corner down. They glue everything, so if you don't have a knife, bro, you're like and you're ripping it. And yesterday I was, I was opening it trying to get trash bags out, and I had to like I had to like run my hand up under it to try to open the whole top, and it slipped between Oh it's slipped between paper cut in between cardboard cut, not even paper cardboard cut in between my pinky and this finger, and I might as well have broken back.
Speaker 5: It's not in a spot where you can ignore it either.
Speaker 4: It's the work I'm just having been doing like this all days, so it will like fuse back together. And if they have just had an easy like simple you know, the little the little lid that come down and you put the you flip the thing and then open it. If they had just done that been I wouldn't have had a cardboard cut between them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why all the drama, right, it's pretty dramatic. I'm mad.
Speaker 2: I'm mad guys that know how to duck call trying to tell you how to duck call when you ask for because it's the same sha hey, ray, it's gonna be real loud.
Speaker 1: So here's what.
Speaker 2: Here's what duck here's what. Because I can actually do it, here's what duck guys said. Okay, let's have a conversation. Okay, okay, see I'll be the professional duck caller you Okay, I'm over here.
Speaker 4: They're coming in power shoot stops p Like, hey man, we just got in front duck hunt.
Speaker 1: I'm the guy, right, I'm the duck guy that everybody like the pro. I'm the pro. I'm telling everybody kill them there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we admittedly, so this this is what. This is a conversation. Hold on, We admittedly are not duck hunters. Like we go a couple times a year. Somebody asked us to go.
Speaker 1: We go.
Speaker 2: Then we get all fired up about it. We're like, we gotta we gotta learn how to do it. We gotta get a place. We gotta Okay. So yeah, this is so and they all have different as. Everybody tells them to ask you for help.
Speaker 1: This is how it goes. Remember, I'm pro me ask you, Robert, he asked, man, give me like give me like the short Oh yeah, you just go like this. No, no, no, it's more like from the gut, you got to push the air, push the air.
Speaker 2: Now you're the guy. I mean no, that's wrong. No, wrong, more like from your no. See now you're grunting. I don't need you to grunt.
Speaker 1: I need you. It's just a I'd be like, you just do it, and that's what happens. That's what happens. Yeah, you eventually just go like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I I get it. I'm always like I'm finally that I finally got to the age where I'm like confident enough to ask, Like I'm confident enough to be like, okay, I don't know, like can you teach me how?
Speaker 1: Same?
Speaker 5: But when I was younger, I was like, we'd go I don't duck hunt either. I grew up deer in turkey hunting and that was really it. And like once every few years we'd go on a duck hunt with like my dad and his friends. And my dad loves to duck hunt, but he's not a duck hunter either, and so I would always be so nervous. I'd be like fourteen, trying to act like yeah, I already know, I know everything, and I wouldn't ask. I would just say silent. There's a God forbid. Somebody hand me a duck call.
Speaker 1: I feel like we should be to the point. I'm back. I'm back, new guy. Hey, shout out King's calls right quick for that call. Appreciate kings calls. He's got the custom God's country on.
Speaker 2: I wish I could just rip it, make it sound real good.
Speaker 1: Give him, give him, give him, give him, give him cut down.
Speaker 5: That's better than I could not doing it.
Speaker 1: That's all I can do.
Speaker 2: Need some help anyway, you guys, If anybody wants to actually give us some tips on how to blow a duck call, that would be appreciate.
Speaker 1: Somebody who's nice about somebody who's not like a boss.
Speaker 4: There's a pressure that comes with not being a duck hunter at a duck hunt too, because it's what you're talking about. It's because, like one, there's the calling going on so you just feel like you're just like.
Speaker 1: Riding the coach. I don't like being the thanks for you know.
Speaker 4: But then there's also like there's also like you can't shoot before everybody or you screw the whole thing up. And like if the duck comes, you know, on your side, and he's like, why.
Speaker 6: Don't you kill that dog?
Speaker 4: But here's what you're like, what I didn't look let me, you didn't tell you, you didn't tell me to And I don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 2: Let me just say this. The guy that we're talking about, his name is Brian Wright.
Speaker 4: Great, he's the best great shot out the four boat boat. That's this, that's this company should probably sponsor us. There is one for free, give us one for free or too, even though we're not duck hunters. Yeah, we'll figure something out to do with it.
Speaker 2: And he but he's just like, so I'm like a dugle flying, why don't you shoot that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, you didn't tell me to shoot, you didn't give me the green light. You gotta know when to shoot, you know.
Speaker 2: If he comes down, I'm like okay, And so then you know, you pop one off and he's like I didn't say shoot you.
Speaker 1: Dan ruined the whole volley for everybody. Quit calling down there, Dan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan shot a female hen teel Well, there were sixteen.
Speaker 1: Mallards island thirty four. Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I'm a rusty Ville. What you're doing over there is crazy. Should come with us, I.
Speaker 1: Would, yeah, I will say this.
Speaker 5: I won't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, we don't.
Speaker 4: I'll say this about island is it's like you're hunting a refuge. He's got a twenty five hundred acre island on the Mississippi that he feeds all these ducks. Of a radar of a weatherman sent him a picture last week.
Speaker 1: Like a Memphis weatherman. It's right there next.
Speaker 4: And it was like a precipitation radar and so it showed clouds and over his island was all blue and clouds and it was a blue sky.
Speaker 1: It was the ducks. Oh wow, that's how many. That's how many ducks. It's odd. It is unbelievable. I would go do that totally.
Speaker 4: You're pretty checking out like your Instagram and going through it. And I knew this about you. We we talked about turnhind and stuff. But like you're an outdoors woman, an outdoorsman.
Speaker 1: I don't really know what the.
Speaker 5: Term either way.
Speaker 4: Either way, where did that? Where did that start for you? As like as far back as you remember?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well from my dad. My dad is from South Mississippi and just Waynesboro. It's like right on the Alabama line, north of o Real, south real, tiny town.
Speaker 1: Because my wife is from golf Ports.
Speaker 5: Really okay, it's probably not that far from probably a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: He has a couple of glasses of wine. Is you get whacko?
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, start her on the coast. Well, I went to Old miss and we called guys.
Speaker 1: Wait really graduated from there?
Speaker 5: Enemy territory?
Speaker 1: What made you? What made you decide? Am Ole Miss?
Speaker 5: So my parents went there. It's like deep runs deep.
Speaker 1: And family we really don't like each other.
Speaker 5: Dude, we can we have like a dark history, dark family history. But yeah, my parents went there, and I like, I just we grew up going to the grove and going to the games, and I just absolutely loved it. I never I literally didn't apply anywhere else. I was just like That's where I'm going.
Speaker 2: I thought, you never feel like maybe or pretentious towards other campuses.
Speaker 1: Or people did. I was, I like, you're the only one that matters in the world. Well, yeah, I mean yeah, did you ever say we never lost a party?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I totally said. There was a time when I was like, yeah, we never lost a party. I thought it was so fun.
Speaker 1: I could tell the most omous thing I've ever heard. That's what they used to say. I mean, it's true, But now you are really good, dude, are we?
Speaker 5: I don't even really pay anymore.
Speaker 1: Pretty good? Well, you're just better than us, and that's all I need to know. Yeah, that's not basketball. We just got youall at basketball, but football kill us. Yeah. Lane Kiffin's changed the game down there. I do love Lane Kiffin hijacked the initial question. Yes, what was the question?
Speaker 5: How did I get into the outdoors?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So my dad's a Mississippi and my mom is from here, but they met at Ole, miss and moved back here afterwards. And I mean, he just absolutely loves turkey and deer hunting, but mainly turkey hunting. And I think like the first thing he did when he moved here with my mom was like, fine, a hunting lease, and he did, and so literally ever since, ever since, I was a kid, I've been going with him, and I have three sisters, so he really was like, Okay, surely I'll have a son and he'll turn with me. Yeah, And then he had four girls and all of us tried it, like all my sisters like kind of gave it a try, but never really it didn't really stick. And for some reason, I just loved it ever since I was a little kid, Like I just I loved going with him and watching and I also it was like our time to it's been together, and I just it's always just been my escape. Like when I go out there, it's like I kind of have this rule with myself where I'm not allowed to worry about anything, like I'm not I don't bring it out there. I don't, I don't really look at my phone, and I just it's just my escape.
Speaker 1: It that's awesome.
Speaker 4: What's your And I know you probably have a ton, but like, does one come to mind when I say, what's what's your greatest hunt memory with your dad?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Gosh, I mean, I mean when I killed my first turkey probably I was maybe like Dean somewhere around there, And of course that was an awesome memory. I'll never forget that. But also I just like I just have it's always like our best conversations happen like either in the woods or in the car or on the way to get there, Like we have this kind of we have like this ritual that it's just like we list of songs we always listen to, like on our way out or on the way home, sometimes on the way home when we're celebrating, And that's what I always remember that another like what are they?
Speaker 1: What are some of the songs?
Speaker 5: Sorry, Am Marrilla's guy, Jason Eldan, The Outsiders, Eric Church Guys of New Orleans. Really any I do?
Speaker 7: I do too?
Speaker 5: It's kind of underrated totally.
Speaker 1: That's the same the Outsider's record.
Speaker 5: No it's on the mister missus, but really, any Eric Church song counts. And then also break up in a small town My dad is opset.
Speaker 1: Is that one of the talk usually on.
Speaker 5: Our way home or like either either we're celebrating or we're just like that was a fun day.
Speaker 1: That one is like I saw you over there, I knew what se.
Speaker 2: Around really made fun of that song for a long time because of the talkie, I mean everybody did. But what if we just did that. Like in our conversations, we're just like, so, Lauren, it's so good to say thank you for coming.
Speaker 5: Out, coming out tonight.
Speaker 2: What you playing later? You're gonna go get some It's so funny. Somebody just actually.
Speaker 5: Just do that today and let's see how it goes. Yeah, yeah, and we'll compare notes.
Speaker 1: After I saw a quote.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna mess this all up, but there's a famous outdoor rider whose last name is Rourke, and he said, the one of the best parts about hunting fishing is the anticipation of going and then then talking about it once.
Speaker 1: You get back.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Yes.
Speaker 1: It's great. I really identified with that. I do too, jump.
Speaker 2: Can you clean that up for me? Can you clean that? Can you clean that quote up for me? I said it wrong, but care clean it up for me. I mean you could just look it up and make sure I'm not destroying that. I think that's I mean, I think that's right because I find.
Speaker 5: Know whether that was correct or not. That that is so well said, Like I have so many memories of like as soon as we get in the car, me and my dad will rehash and then he is going to call five at least five of his friends and just tell him what happened and he'll call his dad and it's just the best. It's like it just I don't know, I love that, Like it just makes me. It just reminds you how passionate like he is about it. And everybody, all his friends want to hear, like they want to hear it.
Speaker 1: I want to hear. I want to hear.
Speaker 2: I mean we did that. We got buddies who have kids now. I mean we used to call each other about us killing things. But now it's just like Jonathan called us with his his son had killed his first buck and he facetimes like.
Speaker 5: Hey, mister Dan, I shot my first.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like and I want to hear and uh, I mean yeah, that's that's part of it, right, Like the call. And we used to always remember we used to always call our grandparents Dad be like, Paul, really like to hear about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we called them up. I get it.
Speaker 2: Did you find it nothing? Maybe I made that up all right?
Speaker 4: Quote, I will totally say I will from now I say this thing. You know, I thought about it and I always said that, Yeah, I've always said that. Ever so I was little I think the first thing I ever said, well when it comes to my thesis on but it's kind of all you got, right, is like, is because most people are sorry that you have guys tape, Yeah you're good. Sorry is most people aren't getting filmed, most people aren't taking cameras out there.
Speaker 1: So like, the only the only recapturing.
Speaker 4: Of this that you have is in your head, yeah, talking about and then when you talk about it, And that's what these do, right, Like I don't. I don't put wall or animals on the wall. So people walk in and go, oh my gosh, look at that buck, Like when I look at that deer. For me, I go straight back to that to the deer stand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or that.
Speaker 4: Season where I lost a publishing deal hunting that deer in Illinois and that whole thing.
Speaker 1: You know, so like and I can't.
Speaker 4: I love to tell that story over and over because it just it brings it back in my head. And that's some of the best you know, some of the best things or days of hunting is is when those stories happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I I totally I agree. We have in my find it.
Speaker 1: So it's not yours.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, I'm gonna put my you know how Michael Scott does that, like.
Speaker 1: Those shots you don't take Michael Jordan quote Michael.
Speaker 5: Scott, Michael himself in Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, So speaking of go ahead, you.
Speaker 5: Have something well, I was just going to say, we we have like in our in my parents' garage, we have kind of like our trophy wall, and it's got all these turkey fans and beers and and antlers, and it's so cool because it's like you say, like I I bet my dad could tell you each one like I was killed and then on the refrigerator, you know, like the beer fridge is outside. We have all these old pictures and there's some from us and then some are from like my granddad and my great granddad, and it's just like a timeline.
Speaker 1: I mean that's exactly what this book is.
Speaker 5: So I mean, like, is this your did you get this made?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean I made it.
Speaker 5: That's a great gift to get out.
Speaker 2: I mean it's got like there's read from when he was a little.
Speaker 5: Oh that's awesome because here's what was Because.
Speaker 1: Here's what happens. Now you can there's your boy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Still looking over still looking good right there, looking like I got my hair parted.
Speaker 5: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: But I'll tell you what why I.
Speaker 2: Love these is because now everything's on our phones. Yeah you know what I'm saying. Yeah, stuff, Well, you just like it's not it's hard to go back, it's hard to hold it. Yeah, you know, they get lost. Yes, So I'm trying to like make one of those every four or five years.
Speaker 5: That's a great idea. I'm going to steal this idea.
Speaker 1: Still, it's great. You'll have to make over for your dad. Yeah, Oh it's so. I mean, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: He's definitely gonna listen to this.
Speaker 1: So just forget that, I forget that. You don't not making you that.
Speaker 5: You'll have to show me where how you got that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, super easy.
Speaker 2: I do have a question about So I have a little girl, Reid has a little girl.
Speaker 1: They're a little bitties. How old are mine's five? Is two and a half?
Speaker 2: I can't believe there's still too we have. So we have two that were born like basically the same day. Really, my son was born. His daughter was born like within thirty twins.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, they're.
Speaker 2: Like twins pretty much at the same hospital.
Speaker 1: They fight each other. That's awesome. Yeah, it's like my daughter will get along with everybody except boone. Yeah, they just like this is just this head dock.
Speaker 2: So they But but my question is, is I know how to intro boys to the hunting Lionstone. I know, you start small, they shoot twenty baby guns, twenty two's not scared of the pop. Yeah, you have three sisters. Your dad raised y'all to at least try. I don't know if the other ones, whether it took or not. But my point is, my question is how do you feel like he went about it in order to instill the love and and and not like terrify you or scare you with your sins or for.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good question. I really don't know. I mean, I was so maybe this is part of the thing, but I was so young when he first took me out that like I barely even I don't remember how I mean, I remember like the hunt, but I don't remember how he presented it.
Speaker 1: You know, what, were you ever scared of guns?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I was. At first I wasn't and then I remember, like after shooting a twenty age for the first time, I was probably just really little and he used to like get behind me and like pretty much take the kick and that was fine. And then maybe the first maybe the first time I shot it alone, but there was a point where I remember I was like really shell shocked, and it like after that for a couple of years, like every time I'd go to shoot again, I would like totally and like it would scare me. Yeah, I mean everybody is like when you're little, you can't.
Speaker 1: But still it's just still a thing.
Speaker 5: For we can give you maybe the expert duck hunter.
Speaker 1: Shooting lessons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think the thing is is, like you know, I see when I talk to people and they're like, it didn't really take for me.
Speaker 1: I was just always scared of the gun.
Speaker 2: And that's like a fear for me because I don't want to introduce my kids too early. Yeah, but there's also the too late thing, yeah, trying to balance it out.
Speaker 5: Well, I remember after I wish I could remember how old I was when this happened, but I don't. But like when I was like scared of the I got scared of shooting, and my dad was like, well you can just why don't you just come with me, Like you don't have to shoot. You don't have to shoot, you can just come with me. And so I was like, oh, all right. So then for a couple of years I just would go with them and I wasn't about that at all.
Speaker 1: That's answering my.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, really just say you don't have to just come with me. It'll be fun. I'll do the shooting. And then eventually I was like.
Speaker 1: All right, I want to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not a baby because it.
Speaker 2: Probably loses the the immediate because look, man, it's an intimidating thing. You talking about, super loud, super projectile, like dangerous all of a sudden. I remember it being like the first thing in my life that I was introduced to that could like kind of kill me, you know what I mean. So that's a scary thought when you're fo Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the killing of something else, like it's.
Speaker 5: A serious thing. Yeah, it is a heavy thing.
Speaker 1: Deserves to be respected.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Today on the ride end, I said to my little girl's names Liza, and I said.
Speaker 1: You turkey hunting movie this year?
Speaker 2: She said, I think I'll start with a cross guns across, gun across.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that that was pretty that's a great idea. It doesn't kick right now for school and everything else. I'm so glad.
Speaker 4: It's like you deer hunting all that, but I'm glad like turkey hunting is your thing because I'm in turkey mode.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, it's getting getting close. Deer season is pasty.
Speaker 4: I'm really I'm really excited about hearing you caught in your first turkey last spring.
Speaker 1: I did I want I want from the job.
Speaker 5: So I well, like I said, like I grew up going with my dad and so everything I know is like he's taught me. And I got, like I said, I've gotten to this age where I'm like, Okay, I want to learn for myself, Like I want to be able, like if he's able, if he's ever not able to go, like I want to be able to still go and like not just let him do everything. And so several years ago, I started trying to learn how to call. And my dad is just an awesome caller. Podcast is going to be about him, yeah, I mean anything, like really yeah, but he'll use both at the same time and like he's just really good at it. So even when I started to learn, there was never a reason for me to I was going to screw us up like I would just like let him do it. And then last year, he the day before, the night before opening day, he got sick. He was like, I can't go tomorrow, and I was like, well then I'm gonna go by myself. Sorry, I'm still going. And I was like, well, this is I got to put it to the test a me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a drive to property.
Speaker 5: Yeah, drive to We've got like a lease a little bit outside of town. So it's literally just get up in the morning, real early. Yeah, it's probably like thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Has he had least for as long as I've It's just like our death. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: That's the thing in itself of like having to get up, get all the stuff, oh yeah, get the truck.
Speaker 5: Like yeah, it's not like we have some fancy camp out somewhere like that. Get off at my apartment and you could go. So I got up and I went and hunted like all day and didn't kill anything, like you know, it was a it was fun, but I didn't kill anything. And I left and I was like, dang, well, I'm going to get up and go tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I mean, did you hear birds? Did you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah. I mean I was there was like I was chasing turkeys all day. So it's just like the next I was like, I'm gonna go the next day, and I thought like I had just been there so long that I was like I'm just gonna kind of leave him alone and go at like nine, Like I'm not gonna go first thing in the morning. I'm gonna go like nine and will my husband. He was like, we just bought a piece of land too, and he was like, well, I'll go with you. We can go to our place. And I was like, listen, I love you, but I gotta go do this by myself, like I have something to prove here. And he was like okay. So I got up the next day, went at like nine and went and set up in our There's like a field over here, and I was there for a little bit and then there's like another field, big old field with like surrounded by woods, and we have kind of like a regular spot where we sit over there, like way out the end of the field. So I was like, all right, I'm gonna go. I'm just gonna go there. I'm gonna go to the Old Faithful College. It's like mid day, Yeah, it's probably like ten or so at this point. And before you get into the field, there's kind of like this little rise, and so I like you got to creep up slowly, like I knew they were going to be. I just like had a feeling they were going to be out there in the field. So I creep up this little rise and I look, and sure enough, there's like three gobblers all strutting way out there, and I'm like, my heart is pounding, and I just kind of like I sit there and I'm like, well, I can't go I can't go through the field, and I can't go through the woods because they're literally right here in between me and the woods. And so I kind of just like sat where I was. I just dropped down, like at the top of this rise and shaky hands pull out my box call and I have this old it's actually my great it was my great granddad's box call. I'm the fourth generation to kill turkeys. And I actually called my granddad yesterday to make sure I had my story straight on this. But it was his old call and it was his dad's and it's Lynch is one oh one?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you call him? In prep for the show?
Speaker 5: Yo, Yeah, I called. I was like, I need to make sure and he so that's a whole another story. I can tell you all that after, but it's anyway, he said, he's he said he's probably killed like twenty or thirty turkeys with that call. And so anyways, I pull it out and I just remember, like my dad always told me, which I'm sure y'all have been told this too, but he'd just be like, don't overcall, just let him know you're there. Let him know you're there.
Speaker 1: So I like, hit it once, especially if you're that close.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we weren't close.
Speaker 1: I mean close enough.
Speaker 5: They're in the field. It's probably like two hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a perfect scenario though, to get one to come check it out, because you got three gobblers strutting.
Speaker 1: There's probably a hand somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yes, there was only one gobbler's going to get that hand, but you got that you got one guy, one.
Speaker 1: Gay What was that over here?
Speaker 5: So I hit it once and one gobbled back. And that's when I was like, it's hell, yeah, I can do this. And so you're doing it literally do I mean? And that was the first time i'd like I had gone by myself a couple times before this, like years before, and like called and just nothing like I had never had that happen, where like he responded to me and I was like okay. And so anyways, that went on for like a little while, just kind of going back and forth, and then they start coming to me, and like all three of them. And I don't know if I'm explaining this well, but the field it's like, you know, there's a couple of little ditchs in it. So they start coming to me, and I know they're going toward this dip where I'm not going to be able to see him anymore. And then that's right where they go. That's right where they went, and I'm like, all right, I know it's going to be like a minute before I see him again, because sometimes you know, they'll just sit there where they start walking, and so it's like a while and I'm I call a couple more times they call back to me.
Speaker 1: So if you are you like gone up on your shoulder ready to shoot.
Speaker 5: Kind of, I'm like sitting I'm like sitting on like at the edge of this field, so I don't really have my gun up yet.
Speaker 1: She's kind of like in my left ready some shit something.
Speaker 5: It's ready, Like I could get it up fast if I needed to do. And so anyways, I I tell really long winded.
Speaker 1: Stories, by the way, so you can cut this out of podcast.
Speaker 5: So they get in this little dip and I don't see him for a while, and then it's been like, honestly, it probably was like ten minutes. To me, it feels like an hour. I have absolutely no idea how much time has passed. And I'm like, I don't know what, like, I don't know if they're still there or what like, I have no idea. And then all of a sudden, out of the corner of my left eye, I see a head poss and they went like if I'm if I'm here in the dips over here, they like went this way you came around, and I'm like, oh my god, like I'm gonna die. And so that's when I got ready. I knew, like, I gotta get ready.
Speaker 3: And how far is the burd at this point, probably like forty yards, oh shoot close, So I just got to get to where I can get set up on him.
Speaker 5: And also, if there's anything else I've learned, it's to just not rush it, like I've missed plenty of turkeys, just being like.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take the shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so I got ready, I kind of turned and all there was like five of them, I think at this point, like there's more than I thought. At first I thought there was like three. There's like five at this point. I just picked the longest beard and I shot him. Wow and yeah, and he was down. Yes, And I was like like the biggest flood of emotions, like I just I don't know. It was the craziest, coolest thing. And you know, I kind of let him sit for a second, popped around for a little bit, and then I went and got him and I immediately faced own my dad. He was like about to cry him cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how proud of it?
Speaker 2: I mean you just linked your family chain link to that entire history hunting history, yeah, which is so cool, Like and I'm sure it would have been it would be mega emotional for me, you know if that were Eliza jamesitting there and I'm like, man, she is obviously, I mean just carried And I'm not saying you have to let me just clarify that you don't have to kill something in order to.
Speaker 1: Carry your family. The Honting.
Speaker 2: You were already carrying it what you're saying. But to know that you, you know, just the same box call, that's pretty special.
Speaker 5: And I didn't. I actually didn't know it at the time, Like I didn't know the history, which I'm kind of glad because I probably would have gotten really too nervous. But like they told me afterwards, they were like, I mean my granddad was Lord, oh yeah, I'm sure he's so funny. He was like, now that call, that's four generations a lot can stucky hunt right there.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure too, like for your dad, and I know there's plenty of female hunters out there, but like for your dad like wanting the boy to to take hunting and to not sure if having four girls, if he would even if any of you would like hunting or anything, but to get that call and I mean, yeah, have someone to give it absolutely yeah, and pass those things down to and share those moments with special man, that's that's awesome.
Speaker 5: So now I'm like mega addicted, because before you know, it was it was always fun. But then now that I've like I know I can do it by myself, I'm just like, all right, let's go again. I'm just it's I have a new a new appreciation for it.
Speaker 1: I think you are.
Speaker 2: You are stepping into like a new degree of woodsmanship. When you start doing that, it just completely changes opens the door to a lot of things. Yeah, a lot of mistakes as well a lot of learning fast. But it's it's uh that that really solidifies you as as like as what you know one hundred like knowing what to do and what moves to make, and well, I can't call them off this ridge because they normally go this way. But if I set up over there, there's no cover, so I need to be here in case they double back. It didn't happen today, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You're just constantly learn You're learning the animals, yes, totally, instead of just going on do you think dad, which just look nothing wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with that. But becoming your own individual hunter, that's a pretty special journey.
Speaker 5: Thank you. And you're right, I do like and I'm so not I have so much to learn, but that's kind of the cool thing, Like totally. I think it takes a level of like confidence to be like, Okay, I don't know everything. I'm going to ask and I'm going to mess up and totally figure it out, and then that's what makes you better. Like I wasn't learning anything by just pretending like I knew everything. Yeah, saying silent. Now I feel like I'm learning.
Speaker 4: More sure, And the drive of that, like the addiction you said to the two turkey hunting now, will propel you to learn more, to watch YouTube videos, to watch more shows, to get out there more by yourself and figure it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know, I know we got a music, but can you tell me about this squirrel hawk?
Speaker 5: Yes, oh my gosh, yeah.
Speaker 1: We gotta do music. Otherwise we'll talk about hunt.
Speaker 5: Have you ever done that?
Speaker 4: This is the first time I've ever heard of Okay, well, I mean you've heard of like eagles catching, you know, like fish out dogs.
Speaker 5: And so my dad has a friend who lives in Alabama and he's got like an awesome honting camp down there. So the past couple of years we've gone down there to deer hunt, and you know, like we're there for a few days, so it's like we deer hunt most of the time. But this guy, he's so funny. He's like, I got this friend he he squirrel hunts with hawks, like y'all want to do that one day? And we were like what, yeah, though you do?
Speaker 1: Yes, what does that mean?
Speaker 5: And it was literally like these these guys they do they call it falconry. It's like they literally train hawks or falcons. But I think these were hawks. They're different, not really there is, but it's like the same sport. I guess you could say the same sport for sure, same concept. Yeah, And so they have falconry. It sounds like fancy.
Speaker 1: It sounds like.
Speaker 8: It does.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a new artist that just came to town. Falcony.
Speaker 5: Have you written with falcony?
Speaker 1: It is incredible.
Speaker 5: She needs a single, I think. But anyways, so these guys they bring their hawks, and actually it was a man and his wife, and I was like about a power couple, and they each had their own and they basically take these hawks and they're very, very trained and take them through the woods. And they had, like us and some other people, basically just you're just watching them. You're not doing ship, You're just watching them do their thing. And we had sling shots and we'd like slingshot a rock up into the trees to like shake the squirrel out of it, and this squirrel would run and the hawk would like basically get on the squirrel and start chasing it limb to limb, And they have these bells on the like tied on the hawk's feet so you can hear where it is.
Speaker 1: It's sick.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 5: I don't know how to explain it other than like it is the most electric feeling when like you hear the squirrel go and the bells start ringing, and you're like, oh my gosh. So we're literally and it's it's so funny. Where their camp is. It's like this small town and it's just a bunch of hunting camps and like locals and stuff, and all these people just I don't know who these people were. They came out of the woodworks to watch this happen. Literally next thing you know, there's like twenty rednecks all just running through the.
Speaker 1: World watching this.
Speaker 5: Definitely, we're like, who are these people? Are they? Within then on our friend is like, no, they just live here. They just wanted to come to run. Yet, I mean, they kill remember a bunch, not nothing crazy, like a handful.
Speaker 1: I guess are they bringing them?
Speaker 4: Are they killing them? Are they bringing them back? Like Are they fetching them and killing them and like dropping them in the guys? Oh yeah, I'm sure. But I'm like, are they like dropping a flying back and landing with the squirrel or you got to go get the squirrel?
Speaker 5: No, they fly, they bring it to you. Yes, they retreat. It is the craziest thing, and it's really badass. It feels like it gives you kind of some American problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell yeah, this is crazy. Yeah, get them squirrels.
Speaker 2: Dunt why we should train an eagle?
Speaker 1: Dude? If we could train a eagle.
Speaker 8: To do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a couple on the leg. Well here's my question.
Speaker 2: I mean you're talking about like those are protected bird, like federally protected birds.
Speaker 1: So I think I'm going to watch the YouTube videos.
Speaker 5: What would be the difference of taking I would explain it better than.
Speaker 1: I am, but I just I don't understand how you can have ownership of a bird like that takes.
Speaker 5: It is a long process. I think there would have to be some fully licensed yeah, very very regulated, Like you can't. I'm pretty sure these people like go through courses and courses training. I couldn't just go buy a hawk. Let's go get but they literally have I mean like they literally have it in a in a cage in the back of their trucks and they take it out and it just sits up on their arm. They did have names. I can't remember it. But this one old guy, he was awesome. He was just the coolest. He had on a sweatshirt, a bright orange sweatshirt, and it was just on the back it had like a like a black silhouette of a hawk and it said much well, no, his daughter made it for him and it said death from Above. And y'all, I was like, I love that sweatshirt. Where did you get that? He literally took it off and gave it to me.
Speaker 1: I should have brought it today, but so I have that had a picture of you and the death from a book.
Speaker 5: And then he told me his daughter made it for him. I was like, you're giving me this once? He was like, no, she'd make another one. She got a little printing machine for Christmas. He wasn't taking over an answer.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, all right? We got from above? Man, Wait real quick, let.
Speaker 1: Me just do this.
Speaker 2: If you had a hawk, the name, what would you name your hawk? To catch squirrels? Don't say hawk to it or you're fired.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, hawk is even like a strong Let.
Speaker 1: Me just think what's your like you? I think I think I'm just naming mind Ricky. I think I'm going to like I think I'm going like Rambow. You gotta stay in the theme. Yeah, like you got it? Like see that's why I'm going the way. I think I'm just going. I think my Ricky the hawk. Wait, here's the video. If you just had a guess, is that me? Yeah? I don't think that was you. That thing's big. Yeah, it looks like an eagle. Yeah you did it caught you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it took me when it landed on me.
Speaker 1: That's so dope.
Speaker 5: My sweatshirt. Yeah, they'd like they would send it up in the tree. This is like when we were done with the hunting part. This is just for fun, and they'd like give you you have to wear like their big old glove because their talents are really sharp, and they would like have me hold my arm up and put like a piece of food on it or something, and it would literally fly from up in the tree to my arm. And you think like, oh, yeah, yeah, I can do this, And then when you realize it's this massive bird flying at you like I don't know how fast, but it scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be Yeah, that's awesome, that's awesome. We can talk about that for one hundred years, but we've got to talk about music. We're getting hate for not talking about music.
Speaker 4: It's interesting talking to you because usually we've had ernest Own Mitchell and they're from Nashville, right, But like most of the people we talked to, it's their dream to come to Nashville, to move to town and like a pipe dream form and their parents got them into music.
Speaker 1: Like being from Nashville.
Speaker 4: What part of Nashville like Oakhill, Okay, did you was it always like was country music always from from the jump a part of your story or did.
Speaker 5: You yes, come into it or yes, but not as a career. It was always part of my life. Like I grew up. My sister, you'll know, you'll know. You know my sister Caroline. Yeah, she's a songwriter in town, and she's so great.
Speaker 1: She's so great, awesome, she has a songwriter and a person, she's she is.
Speaker 5: Literally all around. She's awesome. And her and I just started singing together when we were really little, like just for fun. And she's always written songs for since I can as long as I can remember, she's written songs. And so we would just sing and play. And I remember like her bedroom was upstairs next to mine, and I'd hear in there playing her guitar and I'd go on the door and be like, and I sing with you. And we were anything.
Speaker 1: We laughed.
Speaker 5: I mean, any country that was like current at the time, we'd be like Paisley's Ground band, Miranda Lambert. Well, we were always like singing whatever was on the radio at the time, and we laughed. Now because when we started playing gigs, we were young, like probably like thirteen twelve or thirteen yea, yeah, I mean, And by gigs, I mean we would play at barbecues or like we would go to the corner pub and they would let us. They didn't even do live music. They just somehow we talked to them letting show up. We bought a little speaker and would bring it. And we did not have any concept of building a set list, like we didn't know. We just sang. And we would sing the most deep cut songs that like you've never even heard of, Like literally we'd sing like Casey Musgraves songs that weren't even released. We just heard them on YouTube and think that was like, yep, this is what.
Speaker 1: Want to hear this?
Speaker 5: And so that's what we were, like, they don't know this, they must just want to hear us sing. And so we would I mean literally we would say anything. But I sorry, I'm forgetting what the question was. But I've just been doing it for forever. And we started playing gigs and it was just fun for me, like and she always knew she wanted to be a songwriter, like that was from the jump, like that was her thing, and I it was just kind of my hobby. I was like, this is fun, but I'm I'm a kid, like is this a career? I don't know about what career means, Like we're not doing all that, and so I just did it for fun. And then it came time to go to college. And since I had watched her journey, which was high school, sign publishing deal, right out of high school, go to Belmont, like start right off the bat, I thought that was the only way. So I thought, like, all right, I either get to pick college or I picked singing. Yeah, and I was like sixteen. I was like I'm not ready to I'm going to ole Miss, Like come Hell or hot Water, I'm going to ole Miss. And so that's what I did. Thinking I would never come back to Nashville. I was like, I'm gonna move to the beach or to a small town somewhere, like I'm not coming back here. So I went to ole Miss, and the whole time I was there, it just pulled at me, like it was just this thing in my heart. I could not ignore it. It was just like guilt is the wrong word because that sounds so negative, but it was just this yes, conviction. It was just this conviction that I am supposed to go back and do music, Like after this is all over, I where else am I gonna go? Like that is the only thing I'm passionate about, is the only thing I really want to do. And so Caroline came in play. She was like playing a lot of shows at the time. She went came and played a show in Oxford, and I got up and sang with her, and I just remember after getting off stage, I was like I forgot what this felt like. I hadn't played a show since I was in high school, and I was like, I forgot how good this feels. I felt so fulfilled, like this is what I'm supposed to be doing. And so after that there was no turning back. I knew I was going to come back to Nashville, but I still had a year and a half left of school. So I was like, what can I do to just give myself the best shot, like a having like shot when I come back to town. So that's when I started writing songs and just wrote when I was in college, started playing shows again, and then moved back home and then just hit the ground running.
Speaker 4: Man, it's really similar to my story as a younger sibling to him, Yeah, because it's really interesting because it was the same thing like this. And I say this like this was never my dream kind of because I didn't even know it was his. And he was destined from the time he got a guitar for Christmas in eighth grade and by lunch had learned four songs on it. Yeah, like he was destined to do this and I was kind of same thing. And it's so crazy because like I would I would go with his band to these shows, and like in college, when I was in college at UT Knoxville, he would go play somewhere, and I'd hop on the band band with him and or the band with them and go sing like harmonies with him and stuff, and the whole time thinking like, dang man, like this this is a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: This is this is this is really and even like.
Speaker 4: It's crazy too because like I was trying to do other things, but none of them would work because because I was supposed to be here too, you know. And and so that's really interesting to hear that story. It almost feels like the female version of exactly.
Speaker 5: What we well. And it's funny because I've heard a lot of siblings say that they have a similar story. There's a lot like the Davis brothers. You'll know the Davis.
Speaker 1: We just stand them, Jacob.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: I saw that.
Speaker 1: We don't like that Jenkins terrible, terrible guys.
Speaker 5: Warren brother I was just with them. We go to church together, but the.
Speaker 1: Church because that's where you guys go.
Speaker 5: Do you know that Brett Warren married me and my husband? Yes?
Speaker 1: I did not know that me and Will.
Speaker 5: I don't have to say.
Speaker 1: The day we're to podcast.
Speaker 5: So he was also to blame. Where'd you elope to on our land? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I know?
Speaker 5: So cliche. We know, it was awesome. We had been planning, like, you know, the big like traditional wedding, and honestly, the planning was so overwhelming to me. I was like, I cannot do this. It was not it was becoming about like there's just becoming so stressful, like who am I going to invite? And do I even want to invite this person? Is this just because I have to invite? Like it just became such a thing. And I when I told Will that, he was like, I've been trying to.
Speaker 6: Get you to Elope since we met.
Speaker 5: Like, let's I'm down. And so anyways, we almost did like a true courthouse elopement. And then I called my parents and they were like, no, you're not doing that, Like at least just give us a week so we can get all the family together. And I'm really glad that they said that looking back, because I would have regretted that. But so we gave everybody like a couple of weeks. We said we're doing it on this day, and we just had our immediate family there and grandparents and we went out to our land and it was so easy and chill, and we just got married and Brett Warren, the papers, and yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: How is that because most people.
Speaker 4: Most songwriters or artists are married to not songwriters. Yeah, totally totally and somebody not like and had their siblings, their siblings do their jobs and so like they can turn it off right like they they're not living in it constantly. Yeah, you're literally navigating it, this business with your husband, which is awesome too because you have somebody to talk to and somebody to bounce ideas all the kind of going.
Speaker 1: Through the same thing, understands it. Yeah, Yeah, what what's that journey been like?
Speaker 5: Well, for me, the pros way outweigh the cons, Like I would way rather deal with having to turn it off sometimes, like having to make ourselves turn it off sometimes and struggle with that, and also get the pros of him just understanding it and being able to give me advice because he's just so smart and like just so much more mature than me, and so he's able to weigh in on things and like just be there for me. Whereas, Yeah, whereas I feel like it would be hard for me if somebody didn't understand it and I wanted to go to them for advice and I had to be like Okay, Well, first let me explain this whole backstory of what this person does, and let me explaining what this job is, and to me, that would just be really energy draining. Some people don't mind that. For me, I just like that he understands it. But we do have we have to have boundaries, Like we have a rule we do not talk about work before nine am, Like we don't when I'm drinking my coffee, we do not talk about work. And it's pretty easy, like it's not. I also think it helps that I had already kind of gone through that with my sister, Yeah, because we've been working together forever and her and I just kind of tackled that early on, like we both work together, we also both do our separate things. And we worked through that and then got through it and now it's.
Speaker 1: Just like that's exactly how we are.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm sure y'all have had this, say, like we ride.
Speaker 2: Together, we don't ride together, we played shows together. Yeah, and it's nice to have that fall fallback.
Speaker 1: Of going, dude, is this pointless not supposed to be doing this? Yeah, every couple of weeks, you got somebody you can trust.
Speaker 5: It and if one of y'all didn't understand it. He might be like, yeah, that sounds really stressful. Why are you doing that? Like I want somebody who's going to be like, Nope, today is just a hard day. You're gonna get up tomorrow and you're gonna do it again and it's all gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: Maybe we're just having a bunch of hard days right in the row. Maybe you know, since like twenty fifteen. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: We love music, we love Maybe she's just call it's the curse of a creative though, right second, guess everything we do?
Speaker 5: You think you're gonna quit every week?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: My times have I said that?
Speaker 2: I mean, and you know, for me, this year, I came back from like Christmas break, which is what we all call basically October years after deer season, and so and I come out of it, and I'm like, I don't feel like I normally I feel a bit rejuvenated coming out of the things.
Speaker 1: This time, I just felt like I was more tired than when I even went into it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I actually kind of felt that too.
Speaker 2: So I was like, well, I was dry before and now it's just like Sahara desert dude, I'm dusty. I got no ideas, I got no inspiration, you know, and it's weird how as a creative I feel like for me personally, the only thing that fixes that is like to keep working. Yes, it's like the only because if I stop and like Wallow, I definitely ain't get nothing done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm the same way. I also think that's just January and February too, Like it's such it's such a bummer that we start the year in the most gloomy time of year, slump time, right said. My body wants to just stay inside and meet blankets, but gotta work. But I'm with you. He wants me out here.
Speaker 4: That's the too long kick. Would you went on tour with with Morgan Walling last year? That had to be pretty surreal?
Speaker 1: Yes, and wild? It was awesome stadiums.
Speaker 5: Big yeah, no big deal. It was wild. I mean one, I've been a fan of his forever and you know, like I just remember like first kind of getting signed up Big Loud, and he was the guy like I was like, oh my god, story struck. And then you get to know him and you get to know kind of like that whole crew, and it's like Wow, these are just cool, good people.
Speaker 1: They are people they are and they're fine.
Speaker 4: So it's fine, Like nothing's too serious, no, just kind of do what you want to do, Sul.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And I told like when I first when I first met Seth over there and like the whole crew, I was right out of college and I told him, I was like, this feels like a frat house. Like I'm at home. I know, I know this. I'm like fulfilling every cliche.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep driving that one home because a big loud ole miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're rich, they get drunken public places.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I'm leaving. But anyways, so I've been a fan for forever and we did. I did a couple of shows with him the year before so not last year before that, and I thought it was just kind of like a couple one off shows. I was like, that was badass. It was in Arenas, and right after those shows, I did a writing retreat in Kansas. This is literally like the week after too. It's beautiful, Beul.
Speaker 1: It's like outdoor Mecca.
Speaker 5: I actually love how flat it is. People complain about that, but I think it's cool, probably because I'm from here where it's not. And so it's just interesting.
Speaker 1: You seen past two hundred yards of your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you see a car driving and you're like, wait, what, Oh that's a road miles away wild with one car on. It was just one just what you might see a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But anyways, I just remember being in Kansas and my agent called me and he was like hey, and we're constantly talking or texting, but when he called me right after these shows, I was like, oh, no, am I in trouble? Did I do something? And he was like, hey, So these shows went pretty well and I was like, yeah, I think so, and he was like, well, how would you like to do a whole bunch more? And I was like oh and I cried and he was like you want to go on tour with him next year? And yes. So anyways, it was so cool. I was so nervous for those first couple shows, just because I'm used to playing these small clubs and you go straight from there to a stadium. You're like, one, I don't belong here to this is wild and I've got to like fill the state, Like I've got to how can I like fill these shoes?
Speaker 9: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And so it's kind of the same thing. Watch what I do here, I'm a pro. It's kind of the same thing, like starting to hunt by yourself. It's figuring out how to do it. And the goal of that hunt is to get a turkey twenty yards from you and shoot that turkey and have that moment. Same thing with the goal of playing those shows or to draw that crowd in and to get them to react and feel the words, feel the songs and put on a show. And there's no greater there's no greater learning curve than being thrown in the fire like that.
Speaker 5: No, it's so true, like there's no way to understand how it's going to feel until you are there by yourself on the stage, just like being in the woods. Until you are there alone, you're the one holding the call figure it out questions, right exactly. So it was a huge I mean I just learned so much. I feel like I grew so much as a performer. My stage presence has gotten so much better, just like you said, having to figure it out and just do it, just get out there and do it.
Speaker 1: And so being able to watch one of the you know, the hottest acts in the world right now.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing. It's like I play my set and then we stay and watch everybody else after me, and you just learn so much, like you just and and when you watch the same show over and over and over again, you just pick up on things that you maybe wouldn't have noticed, like, oh, that's interesting. They moved this song around. They added this solo section in here for more going to go get a drink of water, like just really water.
Speaker 2: Water, for sure, that's what he keep saying, that he'll appreciate that one water. She said, water.
Speaker 4: I'm the pr there's water in that solo c he's bringing up for sure, But you know what I mean, like he's watering that fifth he's hammering backstage.
Speaker 1: I'm just like jumps the sweating.
Speaker 5: So anyways, but you know what I mean, like just stuff that you just pick up on. And it made me go, oh, we should do that in our set, Like we should add this little thing.
Speaker 1: And like copy him, right, yeah, coffee, we should copy that, no doubt.
Speaker 2: It does make Yeah, have you had any like, oh my gosh, this isn't going like I thought it was going. Two moments out.
Speaker 5: There on stage, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, For example, I left the battery pack out of Luke's guitar on a solo acoustic gig in Nissan Stadium.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was. Yeah, but it happens live music. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: It happens. And that's why I'm so happy that I played so many terrible gigs before, stuff like that, where I know what it's like when the chord just falls out of the microphone and getting there with the cordless mic and you got to pick it up and make a joke about it.
Speaker 2: I knew exactly what to do when that pack went out, and I ran out there and I switched the batteries and it was just the pack wasn't tight, you know, it had come loose, So I knew how.
Speaker 1: To fix it. Your face didn't didn't say that you.
Speaker 2: Knew what to do, because you're you're like when he ran you still like muscle memory, spiderfly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I ran back and uh.
Speaker 2: One of the interesting points of this story is I was, you know, sweating, right, And so after we got it work, and I was still standing over there like, oh my gosh, dude, I'm the worst and the worst just in Nashville, And it was like a solo acoustic sound, and.
Speaker 1: He's like, man, we got something going on. And I'm like, well, dude, you hire me to come here and hang out. I don't really know what I'm doing. And so.
Speaker 2: We got it going, got it work. And he's playing the song and I'm sweating, I'm stemming, sweating. Everybody's in my ears like just go ahead for you, you know, and they're all buddies. But it's like, you know, and one of the guitar texts ed shout out ed Layne. He's like, legit, been doing his whole life kind of thing. He comes up, he puts on around and he's like, hey man, there's seventy thousand people in here, and you're the only one still thinking about the mess. He's like nobody else. That's not like they're sitting up there going hey man, that one guy I really messed this.
Speaker 5: That is so true, And you know, it really put.
Speaker 2: Perspective like kind of in my life on those types of things, like, yeah, you can mess it up, and this I think this just goes across the board like you can make mistakes, you can mess it up.
Speaker 1: Put to just own it and move on. You're the only one that's going to sit there and think about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah you can.
Speaker 1: It's sun come up with tomorrow, man. Yeah, you don't be all right.
Speaker 5: It's true. And everybody, like everybody at every level messes up. There is no and then and people in the crowd, they're drunk, they just want to have a good time.
Speaker 2: If they're not messing up, then it's not live because live music is messing up.
Speaker 4: I would like I would venture to say some people enjoy that. Some people like se that's their vulnerability of allah, it feels you can relate to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, don't do it every show.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, but like there's nothing wrong with it. When it happens, I get really self conscious about forgetting words, Like I just I'll get really in my head and then if I mess up a word about it, yeah, then it's like a it's all bray thing. And then I'll think about it the rest of the day. I'm like, oh my gosh, everybody's thinking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I asked on tour, I asked Morgan. I was like, do you ever forget the words or do you ever get Do you ever forget the words? And he goes every day I'm not Yeah, and I was like, huh, I've never noticed. I've watched every show and I've never noticed once in forgetting the words. Ye. So if I'm not noticing.
Speaker 1: Nobody else, Yeah, because you know you're not hammered. You're over there listening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm like intently listening and I don't even notice.
Speaker 1: So what we got? What we got coming down the pipe for twenty five?
Speaker 5: Well, a lot of good touring. I'm going on tour with Zach.
Speaker 1: Top Black a Babby.
Speaker 5: We should sing that.
Speaker 1: Well, asking it shall happen? You're waiting for me, Well it's been sometime. I still still an angel. Yeah, I heard fun.
Speaker 6: Got promoted back in ab he Dan says, he's.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I've never been better. Things are going in mind here, we got everybody. I sleep like a babby.
Speaker 5: I'll never show up play for work.
Speaker 1: I don't drink.
Speaker 8: We skin.
Speaker 1: I don't know how it fiel hurt and.
Speaker 8: Lo.
Speaker 1: Since you said goodbye.
Speaker 6: I wish I could sing I Mas she.
Speaker 9: But you know I never Hey, asking it she'll be that's getting that's getting prepared for this, this to come out.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've got to do one of rally's.
Speaker 5: Now, hey going on?
Speaker 1: Is that a different tour.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a different tour. It'll be like more summertime. I think it'll be like Zach Top and then Rally.
Speaker 4: Those are two big ones, I'd say those. Those are two that are about to be up there.
Speaker 1: Not going to have sleeves. You know that.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 5: That joker, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's a Swollo boy. He's vainy and hot, dude, he is, So.
Speaker 5: You want to call them.
Speaker 1: For sure, as long as he keeps cutting my songs. Working on new music, yes.
Speaker 5: Working on new music.
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 5: I'm not on the road until like March. So I've just been writing my booty off, like writing so much, and we've already got like like a bunch of songs in the can already and now I'm just writing trying to finish an album.
Speaker 1: But a last year was awesome.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Thank you. I'm really proud of.
Speaker 1: Was I'm just stuck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is a Will Bundy special right there.
Speaker 1: My mom made it. That's my that's my.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's cool, thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm really proud of that album.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 4: Thank you, have been since we since we wrote met for the first time, and always been pulling for you, so it's not shocking that everything's coming coming your way right now.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm a fan of y'all, so thank you so much for having me. This is awesome.
Speaker 4: We do a favorite tune at the end of every show. This is the greatest slash favorite song for you.
Speaker 1: It's one of them. Yeah, it doesn't have to be like okay, Well.
Speaker 5: First of all, anytime I'm asked like what is my favorite song?
Speaker 4: I go into it an exchanic and that's not pressure. We That's what we try to not put on you by saying no, no, no, yell did but what's your favorite song? I'm just saying, yeah, but what's the best song I've ever read?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I mean I think the whole thing is just like a cornerstone kind of tune.
Speaker 5: Yes you know, yeah, well I so, like I said, me and my sister we grew up playing gigs together and this was one that we used to cover. Are you good?
Speaker 1: Were you? Yeah?
Speaker 8: We're good.
Speaker 5: Yeah. We used to cover the song and it was like my grandparents it was like their anniversary song, and we always Now my granddad has passed away, but we It just makes me think of them now and like they were married like sixty years or something crazy, and I want to say it was like their fortieth or fiftieth anniversary or something like.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 5: This was like the song of that like time and anyways, ever since then, it makes us think of them, And then me and Carolyn would play it together in puckets, tootsies or wherever see again, like did tutsis want to hear? Still the one? Probably not, but we sang it anyway.
Speaker 1: What a jam though?
Speaker 5: I know it's so good, you're gonna sing it with me?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, looks like we made it lot cal fire. We call my baby my tip the long way we knew we get there someday, they said, I bet they'll.
Speaker 7: Never make it. But just love gad us, hold on. We're still together, still going when strong.
Speaker 1: You get the log that.
Speaker 8: He's still the one I run to, the one that I belong too, He's still the one I want for, He's still the one that I love, the only one I dream.
Speaker 5: He's still the one good I should have done at the beginning, where she's like when I first saw you, I saw love.
Speaker 1: Did she do that?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you do that? In pockets?
Speaker 5: I think it's an updated version or something. And then she's like, when I first I felt you, I felt love.
Speaker 1: It's like felt you the TALKI version that's the craziest. Lost it a little better, we think, and she's still cool. I think she's great. She should totally come on this podcast. Love to have her, uh and stuff. You know somebody I know an engineer that hey, you'r that's killer. You're killing killer, killer, Thank you so good. I just closed my eyes and just went with you.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: That was beautiful me too.
Speaker 5: I was closing my eye too in my own little world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like fifty million people that are watching us, you know, they're not. They are one day they were million was watching my whole family watching so seven.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I had an engineer friend who got flown out to they had to like fix a a Shania lyric, and so they flew him to like the Dominican or something wherever she was somewhere exotic, literally like an entire He flew like a million.
Speaker 1: Dollar studio to just get this like one line, yeah, one line wow.
Speaker 2: And my buddy was like, dude, what was it? Like, what was that we're talking about? You know, in the in the studio and he was like, man, you me tell you be honest. He was like, yeah, she's like beautiful. He's like, she's like next level. Yeah, like doesn't make sense to male eyes. Beautiful, he said. But I'll never forget the way she's she smelled, he said, Dode, she smell terrible, like an angel, he.
Speaker 1: Said she was.
Speaker 5: It was like, I really thought that was going there.
Speaker 1: I should have got I should have done, I should have sold it.
Speaker 2: I should have said that, but I was scared of like maybe her PR team, her PR team would hate that, he said, like a cow past. She smelled like like damn it, a big bucket of damn it.
Speaker 1: No, he said.
Speaker 2: It was like and he's like, he said, he can still it's like twenty years ago. And if he if that scent ever hit, he would immediately know sho, wow, I know I mean about what's what are they what are they going to say about Evan? They're going to be like, man, I had to get this guitar part for Dan and walking in forever. He was the slowest guitar player. I'll never forget how slow he was. What will they remember you for?
Speaker 1: How patchy your beard is? The guy's got a patchy beard. You know, what do you think they'll remember you for?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Hopefully that I smell like an angel.
Speaker 1: She smells like.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 4: Thanks so, Lauren, thank you for having out, Thanks for coming by. That's been a lot of fun talking. Thank y'all for hanging out God's Country. Y'all check out Lauren Watkins. He's got a bunch coming up in twenty five. Be sure to check her on the road with the Zach top Riley Green. Thanks for hanging out in God's Country next time.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.