Speaker 1: Well, This episode of the Chuck Toddcast is brought to you by ship Station. When your company is growing fast, order fulfillment can make or break your success. Ship Station's intelligence driven platform brings order management, rate shopping, inventory and returns, warehouse systems, and comprehensive analytics all in one place, saving customers fifteen hours per week on fulfillment and guess what time is money? So with Shipstation, everything you need to manage getting orders to customers is in one place. You connect to over two hundred sales channels instead of five to seven disconnected tools. You've got one. Shipstation compares rates across all major global carriers, United States Postal Service, UPS and FedEx, including your own discounted rates. That's pretty good if you have them to find you the best shipping option on every order and discounts up to ninety percent off set up time saving automation. Ship Station picks the best carrier, finds you the best rate, prints labels in bulk, sends tracking updates, and you're done. One million businesses have trusted ship Station. Trust me. I have a little side hustle on sports cards. I think I've mentioned it a few times. The most annoying part is the shipping and if stuff's convoluted, you can't get it done. And that's the beauty of shipstation is it essentially streamlines that shipping process. So try ship station free for sixty days with full access to every feature I just talked about. No credit card is needed.
Speaker 2: You go to.
Speaker 1: Shipstation dot com and you use the code toodcast to get those sixty days for free. Sixty days gives you plenty of time to see exactly how much time and money you're going to be saving on every shipment. So that's shipstation dot com toodcast. Shipstation dot com use the code toodcast. As many of you know, I have clear that I think that the president's situation, iron is he's in a no in situation. It's a no in situation he's put himself in. The Only way he can get out of it is probably either capitulation or some sort of escalation that would be likely politically intolerable. But as much as I think that I have done my best to convey this, I think nobody has written it better than my guest today, and it's Kevin Williamson. He is at the Dispatch and his columns in particular on a run over the last month have been one of those where I'm just sitting here nodding yes, and I'm like, I wish I could have articulated as well as he wrote it. But that is the beauty of reading. Kevin Williamson and is somebody I've read for a long time. It's the first time I've spoken to him, so I'm looking forward to this conversation. Kevin, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Look, you've articulated in a way far greater than I've been able to convey about this just colossal mistake that he's made. He I think he knows it, and he's desperate to find some sort of way out of it that isn't humiliation, and I don't know what that looks like. So as much as it can be fun to sort of, you know, point fingers and go aha, this was a mistake a bunch of us told just so, et cetera, the question now is how do we get out of this with the United States not having its tail between its legs.
Speaker 2: We don't That's the short version. I think now. The irony of Trump being in a no win situation is that he got himself in there by trying to put himself into a no lose situation. So by going into this conflict without ever really defining what the mission was, what victory looked like, without going to Congress, without going to the American public, and so he didn't have any kind of you know, verifiable, quantifiable metric that he could fail to which even therefore be called a loser. And he does that a lot. That's kind of one of his things, Like, you know, he doesn't tend to endorse in races where he doesn't think he's going to win. If you look like the Texas Senate race that's going on right now, the runoffs of Republican primary, he still hasn't touched it. And so one of the points that I try to make, not only in this context, but in lots of other context is a lot of things that we think of as being ethical questions or questions of norms, and you know, kind of tradition and things like that. We talk about these things like they're these kind of airy, fairy metaphysical things that are primarily of interest to the afterlife, but they have really important practical consequences. And one of the reasons you don't want to have a president who can just run off to war without going to Congress to get some sort of authorization. Is that you want to know what your goal is going in You want to get a read from the people who have to get elected every two years about what they're willing to commit to that project and what they think that the American public is willing to invest and tolerate in the pursuit of that project. Because there are all sorts of different outcomes and different goals that have been articulated about the campaign in Iran that are not the same. They change during the press briefings. Yes, I mean at times. Yeah. So if you know, if your goal is regime change, that's one thing that's a very that's a hard thing to do. It's a doable thing in Iran. We could do it if we wanted to, but it's it's a big investment. If your goal is to set back their nuclear program, well that's a different thing. You can probably do with air power and maybe some special forces stuff. If your goal is to have a much stronger conviction and evidence that their nuclear program is not functional and going to be functional in the short term, that's a much bigger commitment. And if your goal is to keep the Straight of horm Moves open to oil traffic and other trade, you could have just not done this in the first place because it was open. So right now the main thing they seem to be trying to shoes is going to be open. So they are really just trying to solve a problem that they created for themselves because the Strait was was open before this. And one of the interesting things about this is that Iran has not won a battle with the United States. Iran is never going to win a battle with the United States. It's never going to get close to laying a glove on the United States. But it's essentially had its territory enlarged over this conflict, because the form is an international waterway over which Iran has no legitimate sovereignty or right to control. But the Trump administration talks about it as though it were Iranian territory, and they're just out there begging them please, you know, you crazy bastards. As he put it, open the Strait. And I would love to play poker with Donald Trump, because I'm not a very good poker player, but I think he would be worse. He's just the worst of this kind of telegraphing.
Speaker 1: He's literally the cards are in front, are on his forehead, he doesn't look at them, and everybody else gets to see them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a lot of money to lose too, so that would be that would be maybe a good good game.
Speaker 1: Remember he is the only guy to own a casino and somehow not make money.
Speaker 2: That's not actually true.
Speaker 1: But the point he was not good at it.
Speaker 2: No, he was terrible at it. And uh, he's the only person I know that had a casino with a strip club in it who didn't make money. And now that's that's a much taller so much taller order. But a lot of people have lost their butts in the casino game over the year. I used to live in Las Vegas. I followed the business just a little bit. I hate the gambling industry, by the way, and I'm always happy to see them. I'm happy to see them lose something, as long as it's not in Vegas or Atlantic City. We can have those two.
Speaker 1: Be that.
Speaker 2: But like when there's a casino on every street corner, not to go off on a tangent here when you've got him at places like Valley Forge and rural Connecticut in places like that, there's too many casinos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I think that's the bigger problem. But we can Yeah, that's that's the word digress.
Speaker 2: That's a huge, huge issue. We talk about this some other time.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's he's bad at this, and he he tells the Iranians what his weaknesses and vulnerabilities are. He makes these ridiculous bluffs that they don't take seriously. You know, I'm going to destroy our civilian infrastructure. No, you're not. Your whole civilization is going to end on Saturday night. Yeah, we don't think that's going to happen. We'll roll the dice on this because the Iranians know that they can take more pain than the Americans can, because we're a free, happy, prosperous society where our government has to get reelected every couple of years, and they're not. They're used to being miserable, and if they're miserable, they don't have much they can do about it because the government's got all the guns and that people don't have much of anything. So the Iranian regime is pretty confident in its place, and Trump is not so. So far, they've been calling his bluffs one after the other, and they keep they keep winning it. And so now we've got this ceasefire so called, which I'm kind of a language guy, you know, I'm prestickety about language stuff. Am I understanding of a ceasefire? Which makes me enjoy reading? You know. I understanding of a ceasefire is that's what happens when the firing has ceased, and the firing has not ceased, so there is no actual ceasefire. But now, but you know, conversations about but didn't you know their hold it stops the clock too.
Speaker 1: I bet you didn't know that. And I bet you didn't know that A when you execute a naval blockade, that that's not an act of war so therefore doesn't count against the war powers act.
Speaker 2: Or it is, depending on which which sentence you're getting out of them. Oh, my favorite thing about our blockade is we're blockading as straight because we're mad that the straight is blockaded. That's that's good, that's.
Speaker 1: Every I can't you know. I love one of my favorite just visuals and I'm guessing you're you're going to be a fan of This is from the movie Uh Blazing saddles where he pulls the gun, where the sheriff pulls the gun on himself, right, And it feels like that's what Trump does all the time. He's constantly going to pull the gun on himself. Watch out, I.
Speaker 2: Might choose yeah, and well, and even that, like when he's doing this sort of you know, Richard Nixon Madman theory stuff and then he talk talks about it on social media that this is what I'm doing, And so he's like he's reading the stage directions and no one's buying. No one's buying the performance. Something I do say from time to time that when I say this, people think that I'm just like trying to get a rise or I'm just being tribalistic or whatever. But one of the most important things to keep in mind about the Trump administration that Donald Trump is not smart. He's kind of a dim guy. He wasn't that bright when he was in his forties. He hasn't gotten better here on the verge of eighty. He doesn't know.
Speaker 1: But wait, he calls people low IQ, so it must mean he is. You're not saying he's projecting, are you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying he's projecting because I don't believe in that Freudian claptrap. He's just a liar of course, and an insult artist. And so he's the guy who's not very smart and doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't know how stuff works, and he's surrounded by people whose metrics of success or not the nation's metrics of success. So there are people around whom who want to make money from the administration, who weirdly enough or like after social media cloud and stuff like that, which is a really weird reason to be Secretary of Defense. But okay, because you want to do bench presses on short form videos and look weird with your hair and whatnot. But I'm not one of the electra people about their hair. But it's a really weird administration. There aren't a lot of people in it who know what they're doing, who have much capability. It's interesting that Marco Rubio, who's outside of his campaigning ability, which I think is pretty formidable, is in my experience, my read of the guy, kind of mediocrity. He's not really a very interesting person politically.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's just autu in this administration?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is the William F. Buckley would have said, he's the tallest building in Wichita, and and he stands out like he's Solon among these guys. You know he is, he is Dwight Eyes right now, he.
Speaker 1: Is Kissinger, he is these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeahbo can't do everything, including you know, I guess run Spearit airlines or whatever else the administration's going to want him to do. And he's definitely out of his depth with this stuff. Rubio is fine as the Secretary of State doing Secretary of State stuff, which is you know, traditional kind of diplomacy and meetings, negotiation and that kind of stuff. Expecting him to figure out a way to bail the Trump administration out of this war that they've gotten themselves into because somebody probably convinced them, hey, we can do it like Venezuela. It'll be like a long weekend and think of how cool you'll look. And then we'll move on to Cuba. And so you can say, look at all these people. You know, the Reagan administration couldn't deal with the RAM but I did. All these American presidents going back to Jack Kennedy couldn't deal with Cuba, but I did. Everyone was mad at Venezuela, which I don't know that Venezuela was ever that big on our list, at least not for a long time. But okay, sure.
Speaker 1: Whatever really was only a priority of Marco Rubio's. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and a lot of people in Florida that the Trump.
Speaker 1: Is good and he represents I mean, I'm not, you know, but it was very much a local I'm from down there. They cared about it. I don't think anybody outside of Dave Broward and Palm beached it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean I cared about, you know, Venezuela. It was in my top twenty. You know, it was tough to worry about. You don't cared a little bit about it. I think I cared more about it when Chavez was in power than Maduro years and thereafter. But so.
Speaker 1: I feel like that the and the country that is going to bail him out of this eventually is going to be China, because China is going to sort of get they have the ability to tell Iran to back off and open up this straight and let's and that's the irony to this is that we may need China to somehow convinced or convince Iran to cut it dew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although the Chinese are willing to bear a good deal of pain too. I think if it if it disadvantages us, and they intelligently see us as the main constraint on their power in the world. I mean I worry about this in the sense that I mean Putin kind of needs a bailout too. And Iran is a country that's got two really irresponsible nuclear powers right there on It supporters Russia and Pakistan. And the fact that Iran is no longer going to be able to enrich uranium or do all sorts of other things like that doesn't mean it's nuclear ambitions have gone away. I love Pete Hexath talking about bombing their ambitions until their ambitions aren't there anymore. That's that's an interesting metaphysical problem. But there's no reason to think they couldn't buy one, and that the Russians might not want to sell them one, or that the Pakistanis might not sell them one. You know, if I were if I were Putin, I think having the Iranians have one nuclear weapon or two might be a real good thing for me. That changes the math in the Middle East in a big, big way.
Speaker 1: All you need is heard that like scenario you think that's realistic or is that something we need to Is that one of those a little bit of failure of diplomatic imagination.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that there's no retirement plan for gangsters, and that Putin knows that if he is unable to close the deal in Ukraine, eventually, it's probably going to be the end of him, not just the end of his administration, if you want to call it administration, but probably the end of him. And is he a guy who's above rolling the dice that way and saying, well, the Pakistan.
Speaker 1: This has been the great fear of this war is that, you know, if he doesn't see a way out, he knows he's dead if he doesn't see a way out. So what does he have to lose?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and uh and again it's just you know, it's one or two. And then maybe he thinks he can, you know, exercise some influence over the way in which they use them, which he probably could. And it's something to keep in mind. There are ways for this to get worse that we haven't you know, thought about all that much. I mean, five to fifty diesel. It's not very popular among my people down in Texas and all the f two to fifty drivers and have three fifty drivers and all that stuff. But there's there's worse things in the world than six or seven dollars diesel.
Speaker 1: Well he might have been, you know, now the president is trying to claim, well, hey, it's a small price to pay. It's not like he prepared the country for this. It was the exact opposite. I mean, and then you go through you know, this is a time we could use some allies, but we have basically poked a finger in the and the eye pretty much every ally we have, arguably other than Israel, and right now that alliance is politically problematic. Frankly for the president these days. You can see a little bit of it and breaking uptema.
Speaker 2: Not to both sides this, but Trump of course has been uniquely bad in terms of our relationships with their European allies, and that's costing him right now because he would like to see them step.
Speaker 1: Up, and they would, I think in another scenario would help with the show.
Speaker 2: I think they might. But this is this is an ongoing problem for the United States. And as I was say, not to both sides of it, but you know, you had the Biden administration screwing the French pretty hard on you know, that submarine deal and all that. And you've had Biden administration and the Trump administration making some pretty big decisions about things in Ukraine and other big geopolitical issues that touch Europe in a very direct kind of way without really even consulting them very much. And that's all fine when you want to laugh about, well, what's Belgium going to do about it? But you know what, it turns out we do need these guys from time to time, and there are other reasons to want to preserve that relationship other than immediate short term concerns about the straight of horror moves. We have other long term strategic interests that having good operative relationships with our European allies would be would be a great help.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Ethos and what Ethos does is it helps you find life insurance. Let me tell you why life insurance bailed me out. My father died when I was sixteen. We didn't have a lot of money when it happened, and we were in a pretty tough financial spot after it happened. I'm an only child. Suddenly my mother's single, single mother. She had a job, suddenly lost a job, looking for another job, and we were struggling. You know, my dad didn't leave us in the best financial situation, but he did make one purchase. He bought a life insurance policy. Wasn't a huge chunk of change, but it was enough when we found it. And when I say we found it, meaning we went through his desk and we found, oh, look at this, let's see if there's anything here. And it helped us out at a time that we really needed it. And that's why I think it's important that if you can, especially if you have young children, if you can get life insurance, you should get it. Life is full of unexpected emergencies, unexpected things happen. It is an extra bit of security, something you can leave and help out at a time when you're you're not there to help. So what is Ethol Well, Ethos makes getting life insurance fast and easy and it's one hundred percent online. You can get a quote in seconds, you can apply in minutes, and you can get same day coverage. They will find you the right fit. There's no medical exam, you just answer a few simple health questions online. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage, and some policies are as low as thirty dollars a month, and you'll get your lowest rate from their network of trusted carriers. So take ten minutes to get covered today with Life insurance through Ethos. Get your free quote at ethos dot com slash chuck that is e t hos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary and rates may vary. I'm assuming that the eventual deal is the Iran Nuclear Deal two point zero because it's what the Iranians know. It is at least where there's some muscle memory and it's it, you know. I'm not sure where else they can go. Obviously, Trump doesn't want that to look like he's just doing that, So like NAFTA, if he renames it, then it's brand new and whatever. That seems to me the most realistic outcome. But I don't know if he knows how to do this.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously he does know how to do it. I think there's some questions about whether the Uranians would go for that. I think they're feeling like they've got us where they want us in some ways. I mean, they know they can't beat us militarily, obviously, can they outlast us in terms of what they're willing to endure in terms of damage to their economy and their quality and all that. Sure, I think they probably they're probably pretty confident that they are, So why not do what they've been doing, which you say, here's our list of demands, here's our fourteen point list. And Trump says, no, I don't like that, And they say, okay, well here's our list of demands. And it's the same thing. And it's the same thing again, and it's pretty maximalist, and they're not seeming to be backing off from anything. So, you know, I usually like to think the hopeful thing is that when you're dealing with people like this, that they can be bribed in some way, you know, there's some self interest there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they can't be. I was just going to say this is this to me was his biggest miss. He I think, assumes everybody's motivated by the exact same things he's motivated by, and it is always surprising to him when somebody isn't. And you know, for instance, I don't think he appreciates that the leaders he's dealing with in iran don't care if the Iranian people suffer. Obviously, if they cared, they wouldn't have made the Iranian people suffer. Right, this is not an entity. So his those threats, oh, you know, they're not gonna be able to do this, they sort of don't. I think they fall on deaf ears. And then I guess the other other part of this is they're not as motivated I think, by money as he is. And so so when you take that off the table, it goes back to your simpleton analysis of him. He really is just very simple minded, and so we think, what, well, money doesn't work. Well, now what am I supposed to do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: If the Iranians were motivated by money, either just greed on the part of the rulers of the country to you envench themselves, or by the prospect of economic development for their country, they would have been on this a long time ago. There's no reason that Dubai and Abu Dhabi would have, you know, the huge leap on a city like Tehran in that part of the world. If the Iranians didn't want it that way, that's what they were motivated by. They could certainly have that they could be They really could be the you know, the thing that the United Airborms really aspires to be. In terms of being.
Speaker 1: I've had people say they could be India. What India is today should be a run had they never gone through.
Speaker 2: This, they could be they could be Switzerland, you know, in some ways. Sure, and because they're a lot wealthier than India is, for sure, and and they've got you know, more resources, and they're better positioned and a lot of other advantages as well. But they aren't. You know, nineteen seventy nine was a long time ago. They've had a lot of time to think this over, to change their minds, to reassess their priorities. They aren't doing it. And what that leads me to believes that they are true believers to some extent. They really believe in their revolution. They really believe in the superiority of their civilization and their way of doing things. Their contempt for their Arab and Sunni neighbors is not feigned. It's a real thing. We do the same thing with China sometimes, where we assume that Chinese nationalism is this kind of artificial, synthetic construction of the Chinese Communist Party, which certainly contributes to it. But Chinese nationalism is also a real thing. It's a real organic thing among the Chinese people. They really prefer their own country and their own civilization, their own language, their own way of doing things. And they don't look at Italy or France or the United States and say we wish we could be just like that. They say, we wish we're that wealthy. We wish I had that kind of power and some of that prestige and some of the options that we have for being the kind of country we are. But they don't want to be us. They want to be them. And Trump is, you know, he's an example of all liars think that everyone's a liar, all cheaters think everyone's a cheater, and all you know, shallow, low iq megalomaniacs think that the world is run by shallow, low iq megalomaniacs.
Speaker 1: Right, So ultimately it becomes who's got influence on Trump? And one group of people that has influence on Trump are the Gulf States. At some point, they're going to get tired of this too. They are tired of this, and they've been in this sort of I am I think that there are some that wanted this and I think there's some that didn't, but there were of the mindset, if you're going to do it, go all the way, don't do it the way you've done it right, which I sort of I sort of respect that that mindset I think that, you know, which is don't do this half assed. Well he did it half assed and now they've got a worse situation.
Speaker 2: But they have encepcially true that of the UAE. You know, I think if you look at the UAE's recent decision to leave Opek.
Speaker 1: Well they had more to lose in this with with this straight shut down, more than anybody. I mean, the Saudi's at least have other ways to sell their oil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that gives you a real good indication I think of where their heads are at, and they're saying, our future is not with Saudi Arabia, and our future is not with being an oil dominated economy, which their GDP is less than fifty percent oil and petroleum these days anyway, so I think it's down to like twenty seven percent or something. So that's a pretty good number for them. They're looking, they're looking away from that world and toward toward the future. That's it's a bit different. But then they've got this fanatical, you know, semi medieval regime across the water they've got to deal with.
Speaker 1: And Abu Dabi's home to one of the largest Iranian diasporas outside a LA. Really, so they have influence on Trump. What would that look like if they and and what At this point My guess is they will. They are now going to have to tolerate a regime that's essentially not friendly for the medium term. And I think that they thought, well, maybe this was going to come to an end sooner rather than later. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that they probably in spite of direct experience, didn't expect the administration to be quite as irresponsible as it has been. I suspect that they thought there was more of a program there. Maybe Trump couldn't spell it out because he's Trump, but that we had more of a strategy and an end goal in mind of what we wanted. And I suspect what they were really betting on was was regime change, because there have been these popular uprisings in Iran that have been crushed, but they seem to be getting stronger each time there's a new wave of them, and the responses necessary to stomp them back down. Have been more vicious and bloody and wide reaching each time. And I suspect that what they were thinking was that the United States was going to unleash this in some way. That was going to be our goal. We're going to take out the leadership, which we did take out of a lot of leadership.
Speaker 1: Well, it's certainly what it's certainly the case BB apparently made to trumps Trump, even though if you want to believe, and this is always one of those where it could be some cover your ass hindsight, but if you were to believe the New York Times reporting on this that our intelligence community did not buy what BB was selling, but Trump bought it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and again I think that's you know, Trump expecting the other people to be like him. So if you're the number two guy in Trump's view of the world, what you're really praying for someone to take out the number one guy so you can step up, and he didn't. I think, really consider the possibility that there is this religious and political movement in Iran that is very very deeply entrenched that makes the number two guy or the number three or whatever we're down to. After that opening fusillade a lot like the guy you got rid of. You know, it's not going to be like Venezuela, where you're basically promoting some capo in a crime family to godfather's status and doing business with him. That you're going to get another guy who's a lot like the last guy. And if you kill this guy, you need another guy who's a lot like him. And because it's a it's a more it's a more legitimate if you understand what I mean by legitimate, not in the sense of democratic legitimacy, but it's a more real, organic, deeply planted, deeply rooted political movement. It's not, I think, a majority movement in Iran from what I understand. I think that ideologically and philosophically speaking, their government is a minority government in most ways. But it's not a tiny minority, you know, it's a It's a large enough swath of Iranian society supports this regime, largely, you know, religious people in economically undeveloped rural backwaters in Aram where their real basis support is, which makes it a lot like the Trump administration. Actually, as I observed earlier that.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, I mean, but the fact of the matter is this is true with Airdowan and Turkey, his base of supporters and the rural. It was true of of Chavez. That's how we grabbed power was using basically running against Caracas. I mean, it is something that I've been concerned about. I've been concerned about with our country is that suddenly we look like a lot of failed states. We look like we're on our way to where the failed small de democracy states have looked like, which is this massive divide between urban and rural develops into this angry movement that topples the wealthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the United States, we have this tendency to want to compare ourselves to the other English speaking countries. So where's the US versus the UK or Canada.
Speaker 1: We don't we don't want to pretend where we could we could become a ven as well or Turkey.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, if you think about American sort of society and politics and our kind of deep structure, we're a lot more like Brazil than we are like the UK or Australia or New Zealand or some place like that, these little countries. You know, We're a big, complicated, diverse country with a lot of very very lively social fissures. The urban rural one is a very very important one. And it's just not very much like being in Auckland, you know, or Toronto. It's a different world here. And you know, I began my career working in India, and there's a lot about American politics. He reminds me of Indian politics in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: There's a kind of very messy politics. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the populaism has the same kind of flavor. There's you know, regional stuff there. Regional stuff, of course, is a lot more complicated than ours. The urban rural stuff is a huge thing. The phenomenon of moneyed urbanites rarely against the so called elites, which they are. He is a good way to get ahead there. And so yeah, I don't see Mody and Trump as being two very radically different kinds of figures.
Speaker 1: Well, I think politically he's in such a bad place because of this war. Do you believe it's constraining it's constraining some of his decision making.
Speaker 2: I don't, actually, I think maybe three or four months ago it probably was. I mean, not the war, but his other sorts of more general political problems in his declining popularity were probably more on his mind then, I think than they are now. I kind of suspect, from my few conversations with people in that orbit have given some support to this, that they've just assumed that a real, real serious ass whipping is just baked into the cake. At this point, they're going to wipe out in the mid terms. They're talking about losing that Senate race in Texas possibly and which I still don't think is very likely. But there are people in the Republican world who are seriously worried about that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And I think Republicans a lot more money of Paxton's the nominee than.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, yeah, yeah. But I think that they just have decided that, Okay, well, we're screwed on this one already, so we don't really have to worry about it anymore because there's nothing we can do about it. It's just going to be a whipon and that's going to be a.
Speaker 1: Well, if that is the case, then he he ought to be using more tools than he's usually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't well, I think their math, probably Trump's math, I think looks like this. He thinks you're going to lose the House, which they probably are, and they're going to get some worse performance in the Senate than they expected, but it's not going to be the case if they're going to be enough votes in the Senate to remove him from office if he's impeached, which he will be impeached again when there's a Democratic majority in the House and should be by the way I will. There's ten different good reasons to impeach the guy, just from this time around.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's pause right here, let me get removed. Okay. I don't think it's if you don't have the votes, I don't think you should do it. And I've actually had It's funny, you're going to get some out of boys from some of my some in my audience who I've been getting a lot of questions and been pushing back on it. They're like, you make the case for him to be impeached, but you argue against it. And I'm like, well, don't do it a third time if you don't have the votes, And I would argue, don't do it until you've got Republicans wanting to do it first. That if you pursue a third one, you know you get defined by this, and I don't think it does you any good if you care about winning in twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not much of a political calculator. I'm dumb enough to think that you should just do what you think is the right thing.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I know, and damn you with you and your right thing to do well, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean. Luckily for me, I'm a journalist and an opinion writer. I don't have to run for office or organize campaigns or do things like that, and so I have the luxury of being able to say I think you should just do what you think the right thing is. And I've a little sidebar here, but we have a real plague of cleverness in our politics. You know, all of us expensively educated people with liberal arts backgrounds and kind of a high degree of verbal dexterity. We put such a huge premium on this kind of very shallow form of cleverness and trying to think three steps ahead about what's, you know, politically good practice and what's not. And I think we defeat ourselves very very often in doing this. We get worse outcomes than we would. I think people in Congress shoul vote for what they think is right and say the right things, say what they actually believe in, and let people vote for them or against them. And most of them have the opportunity to go to all sorts of other good jobs. They want to do something else in life, probably not cash, but tell but maybe everyone else, and just go do what you think is right and let the chips for all they may. It's not that hard. Occasionally I'll write a column where I write a speech for a politician where this is what you should actually say if you were willing to go out and tell the truth about things. And I think in almost every case, every time I've written that column, the speech I wrote for them would have been politically better than the one they ended up giving. Not only would it be them telling the truth about things and saying what they actually think. I think, ultimately, politically that's probably easier too, because we're not as clever as we think we are. I know a lot of political speech writers. I've known a lot of political speech writers over the year. Some of the are great people, very smart people, as smart as they think they are. My father this expression not a very nice expression, but I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth. And that has been my boy images a lot of Washington life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd make a fortune on Donald Trump. Yeah, well, I look, I don't I go back to let's go back to the political constraints. If he's not allowing his political constraints to constrain him, then what is constraining him? Because arguably the way out of this is to get control of the Strait, send in some ground troops on those islands, not all the way into the country, but enough to secure the coastline and secure the straight and essentially say and yes, it would probably mean more body bags, it would probably mean trips to Dover. It is not without a huge cost and probably worse politics, probably another Senate seat. You know, maybe it's it's four or five or six instead of three, a borderline four. But he might actually accomplish something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that what's constraining him. And again, I promise I don't say this stuff to get her eyes out of people. I just think it's where things are that in addition to being dumb, he's also lazy, and he's also a coward, and he's just afraid of taking the risk of doing the things that you're that you need to do. He cares a lot about it.
Speaker 1: I've always that's how I reassure some of my worried friends. I'm like, he's too lazy to be Hitler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as Jonah Goldberg always says, Hitler could have repealed Obobmacare you know but remember?
Speaker 1: Is that too soon? Are we allowed to laugh at that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know, but you know, because he doesn't want to have people on whatever his social media thing is looking at videos of a ten thousand dollar mind destroying a billion dollar warship and it's sinking into the into the strait and having to explain that. So, I mean, the stupidity and the laziness and the cowardice were really his saving grace in the first administration. It is what kept him from being worse than he was. He was just simply not that ambitious, and to the extent that he was ambitious, he didn't know like where the keys to the executive restroom were, so it took him a long time to figure stuff out.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Todcast is brought to you by Soul. So if you love that end of the day unwined, but hate the hangover souls out of off This is for you. These sparkling THCHC drinks and gummies give you the same relaxed social feeling without the alcohol, without the calories, and without the crash. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious hemp derived THCHC and CBD products designed to boost your mood and help you unwind. Their best selling out of office gummies were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe. So also has a variety of products specifically designed to help you get a better night's rest, including their top selling Sleepy Gummies, a fan favorite for deep, restorous sleep. Look. I have made no secret I am a believer in this stuff, in cannabis and hemp derived. I do not partake in alcohol. For the most part, I think this stuff is a lot safer than alcohol, a lot less addictive than alcohol. And yes, I have to say I love these drinks. It is the glass of wine and you know after work that's what this is, So no hangover and no excess calories like this. I'm a big fan, So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to Sold today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. Go to getsoul dot com and use the word podcast that's get sold dot com promo code podcast for thirty percent off. And yes, I too, am a customer. I always said. Mike Penson writes, previous actually didn't give them the keys to the restaurant. They actually, in some ways perverbially they they at least stock the administration with semi competent people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't go on my whole Mike Pence thing here, but he did manage to grow a conscience in the last eight minutes he was in office or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: You know, again, it's the tall it's the tallest person in the little people room.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. But yeah, I think Trump is worried about what that kind of encounter would look like. He also doesn't want to have to suffer the low to his vanity of essentially doing all the things he said he would never do, which is getting us involved in an open ended engagement in the Middle East that amounts to an occupational that it would be a kind of naval occupation rather than a ground occupational. There'll probably be a ground occupation too in some ways. And casting a tremendous amount of money with no obvious benefit insight, and he can't say, well, we took the oil because you're not going to be able to take the oil.
Speaker 1: Well, why do you think this will eventually fracture his coalition or not?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. And I think that the reason for that is that the Trump movement is essentially a personality cult, and they have the cultist's ability to create new stories for themselves, which the good guys and the bad guys always say the same. So I went down to Texas a couple of months ago, a couple of month and a half ago, to write about the center race down there, the Democratic and Republican primaries, and I talked to some soybean farmers. Soybean farming is not huge in Texas, but I've been writing about soybean farmers for a while since the last Trump had made They should be they end up in there. Nope, we like the guy. We think he's trying to do the right thing. Yes, it stinks for us that our exports have been so messed up. We really blame the Chinese and not Trump so much. And if it means supporting someone like Kamala Harris or someone like that instead, they're just not going to do it. And you know, we've got little I don't like the whole rhetoric about you know, little family farms versus big, terrible, great, big agribusinesses, because agribusinesses where the values really created in farming. But we've got a lot of little family farms around the country right now that are closing up operations and getting ready to build condos or whatever they're going to do on their land because fertilizer prices have doubled or tripled in some places, and they consume a lot of fuel. You know, it takes a lot of gas and stuff to run those irrigation systems. And there's pretty good story in the New York Times other day about was this farm called butter Ridge or something like that, a little family owned dairy that just you know, they started losing one thousand dollars a day that they were in operations, and largely having to do with trade disruptions and then Iran and they should be a little bit about this stuff. But it's just not the case. We always assume this, But there's really no good evidence for the proposition that people actually vote in a calculating way that alliance with their short term economic interest. That's not how people vote. Voting is a cultural thing. It's a matter of sort of social affiliation, and it's much more like choosing a church than it is like filing your taxes. It's it's it's a sense of who they are.
Speaker 1: I and maybe I was. I grew up with in a weird household which was mixed politics, so it was always sort of encouraged that, you know, you sort of could be on you know at a conservative father and a liberal mother, and they talked about it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was just sort of a fairly normal That's what I thought was normal. But I never I never thought of in the eighties of politics as religion the way it is now in the twenty first century.
Speaker 2: Well, because religion isn't religion anymore, you know, if you look at work.
Speaker 1: I buy that this idea in church evangelicals that we have as we've lost faith literally as a society. We've clung to our political parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're not a real good substitute.
Speaker 1: As it turns, it's terrible. Yeah, they are. At least religion tried to teach a moral code. What moral code do you get from politicians?
Speaker 2: Well, the Republican Party used to be a pretty morally based party. What was it against polygamy and slavery? I mean, that's really why you got a Republican Party back in the day. Granted that's been some time. They've gone through some iterations since then, but they were a party. They're a party of New England Puritans. They had a profoundly moralistic streak in them.
Speaker 1: And also the Whigs weren't moral enough. Yeah, on the on the most important question of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And now, look, God, I'm just so. I'm one of the things in life I'm embarrassed about is I didn't have a real long period in my life when I had like a really strong sense of Republican partisanship. I think, I want to say it lasted from about maybe nineteen ninety four in the Gingrich election to about two thousand or so. And I remember I quit the Republican Party over Arlen spector, which now in retrospect just seems quaint small.
Speaker 1: What so explain, explain, explain your journey away from the GOP that this specter was.
Speaker 2: So I knew him a little bit because I was a newspaper editor in Pennsylvania and his daughter in law, I guess, was the chairman of my local Republican party there Montgomery County in the Philadelphia suburbs. And he was just such an obvious, neolistic, self serving weasel who didn't believe in anything and would say or do whatever he thought it would take to you know, move him one degree up the ladder. And then you had challenge to him from to me, and the Republicans just you know, they would not get on board with it. And I remember, of all people, and this is something else they feel kind of guilty about. I remember talking to John Cornyn about it when Cornyn, I guess was the chairman of the National Republican Senate Committee or whatever, and he was saying, you know, I get mad at Arland too. I find him very frustrating in all this. And I said, well, are you mad enough to back to me in a primary challenge? And he said, well, he got real Weasley about it, and he said, well is he going to run? It's before he was in the race. And I was like, Okay, that's the only answer I need, you know, That's all I need to hear from you. And so I was one of those people who thought that John Cornyn wasn't hardcore enough back in the day and now, of course, even though he's pretty trumping and pretty awful in a lot of ways, he is kind of a semi responsible, grown up, halfway patriotic, halfway decent human being that the Republican Party could desperately use more of. So I was part of the problem. I probably am still part of the problem in some ways, but I'm not part of the Republican problem because I haven't been affiliated with that party in more than twenty years.
Speaker 1: Now, do you want to you consider yourself a what kind of conservative would you call yourself?
Speaker 2: Just you know, conservative is a good word, I think. I mean, if I'm talking about people sort of understand, you know, political terminology a little bit, I would describe myself as a liberal, but you know, a liberal in the in the Adam Smith right economist.
Speaker 1: This is what frustrates me about labels because I consider myself a liberal as far as right political debate and pluralism. But you know, I'm an incrementalist, which some people would describe as a conservative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believes describe myself as an Eisenhower anarchist in the sense that I have I have sort of abstract policy views that are pretty radically libertarian on some things, although maybe getting a little less so as I come to trust the American people less and less as the days go by. But if you ask me about you know, what do I think about drugs, or what do I think about prostitution? Or what do I think about education or social security? I'm still apt to give you some pretty hardcore libertarian answers.
Speaker 1: Driver's license.
Speaker 2: No, if you want to know my favorite president though, it's Dwight Eyes now, and because I want that sort of incrementalist slow let's not get carried away with ourselves. We like ideas, but we also live in a world that's not dominated only by ideas, So let's deal with the stuff we actually have in front of us. We have a country that seems to work pretty well most of the time. It's produced a pretty good life for a lot of people. Maybe don't go you know, knocking down Chesterton's fence before you figure out what it was built for in the first place. And so I do like incrementalism, I do like slowness. I am anti revolution I do not like all of the revolutionary rhetoric you get in the Republican Party. One of the places where I really party company with with Bill Buckley, who was one of my heroes. Would he would He would refer to himself as a radical conservative a lot of the time, And I don't think there's any such thing as a radical conservative. You can't be both. I agree, Yeah, I understand what he meant by it, but I don't think there's any such thing as a radical conservative. So if I'd been around, you know, for the Goldwater election, I'm sure I probably would have been a Goldwater guy. If I've been around active in politics in seventy nine eighty, I'm sure I would have been a Reagan guy. But if I'm looking back on it from the point of view of where we are now and being a little older and a little less app to get carried away with things, I might feel a little guilty about some of that stuff. Do you also would Bean Billboards? If I could? I hate billboards. That's my least libertarian position. She could rid of billboards. Well, I live in a town, and.
Speaker 1: But what do you see billboards when you're on the interstates? I mean in a weird way. It's what keeps like a good I like a good lung drive. We drive a floor quite a bit from Virginia, and I find the billboards. I mean, first of all, I love I love seeing the more unique ways trial lawyers try to get you to call up their number, or how many different ways they can tell you that Jesus is going to save you, or how many I mean, I do find billboards weirdly telling about what people are seeing. And I don't know. I think I get something from them when I'm on the interstate. But maybe I'm a weirdo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, if I ever win, like a billion dollar power ball or something, I will I live in a pretty small little town, and I will buy every marijuana dispensary and vape shop in my town and just turn them into bakeries or something. And I just hate having them around. I've got little bit of kids I don't like. I don't like having that out there. So yeah, I'm getting to be a crusty, old, get off my lawn guy. I think fatherhood has done that to me as well as age.
Speaker 1: So if you're a conservative without a home and without a party, sure, I look at the and you we just got done talking about how we do not compare well to the countries we like to compare ourselves to, for instance, the UK. But I'm obsessed with what's going on over there in their politics and the fact that the two major parties are about to become minor parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously we have a system that makes that much harder here, but I do believe if six major figures of the Democratic Party all left together and said we're starting a new party, the Democrats would disappear the next day. And I think it's that. I think the brand is that fragile, and I think it's that potentially, and if Donald Trump said he was renaming the Republican Party, you know, the Trump Mega Party, I'd say seventy percent of elected Republicans would switch their party affiliations. Point being is, I don't think either party has that much of a Weirdly, even though they're sort of were stuck with him, this dupe duopoly and ballot access make them sort of feel necessary. Yet I feel like they could disappear tomorrow if a bunch of people held hands and left.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, Trump's one really smart political thing he ever did was that he ran the Ross Perot campaign inside the Republican Party rather than his a third party candidate. That's what he did. He ran the Pero campaign. He was his one great political inside. But the parties really don't matter very much. They matter less than they did before Trump was elected in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Celebrity goals right now, right, Celebrity is a.
Speaker 2: Very very powerful thing in American life. And Trump's a real celebrity. He's not like I used to be on Fox News guy. You know, he's not Pete Hegseth. He's a real celebrity. And that's a huge thing. It's bigger on the Republican side than it is on the Democratic side because Democrats are more used to being around celebrities than Republicans are, because they've got like, you know, Pat Say Jack and Scott Bayo and Kid Rock and Ted Nugent and that's pretty much the end of their celebrity list. But I think the Democrats could be celebrity dominated to if Taylor Swift decided to run for president. Yeah, the decline of the parties has been a huge loss. You know, from a small R Republican point of view, you want these mediating institutions. You know. The death of newspapers and the death of political parties has made it very, very difficult to maintain the institutions of a country that is really founded in eighteenth and early nineteenth century political norms, when things were run by political parties and newspapers, you know, the two big national institutions that mattered most to keeping our politics sort of orderly, to keep the aquocracy out of the democracy.
Speaker 1: Right. They weren't quite gate keepers, but they certainly were. They were people that at least stood in front of the openings that you had to build those over if you wanted it to break through the.
Speaker 2: Gate Yeah, and they mattered in subtle ways and in bigger ways, you know, And that's that's maybe a long conversation for another time. But not having those things, what has gone into the void to fill that space, Well, it's been celebrity, like Donald Trump. It's been social media, which is kind of a minor mutant form of celebrity. It's it's Andy Warhol's everyone's famous for fifty mendus in the future thing kind of made almost literally true. Literally yeah, and like, as someone who was once the big trending topic on Twitter for twenty four hours, it's not that great, but some people really want that, and some people really care about that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I can I can tell you trending on Twitter is never a good thing. Really. I don't ever think I've ever trended in for a positive reason.
Speaker 2: Not usually, you know, I got a fivot AA and I don't use social media, but I saw that on well, I guess I used LinkedIn, and I saw that on LinkedIn someone a couple of tributes to James Baker that had been posted, and I thought, oh, no, James Baker has died, because that's the only time people do that. It was this his birthday. He was his ninety six birthday, I want to say, or something like that, ninety fourth birthday. And so every now and then, when you're the subject, it's okay because you've had an unusual birthday. Cher will trend here in a little bit. When she turns eighty or whatever, it still looks like she's fifty years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I saw today Kurt Loder turned eighty one, and that did he really? That's meaz, Look that guy. That's one of those if you're of a certain generation, you're like, oh no, he's eighty one. Yeah, what does that mean for me?
Speaker 2: Nothing good?
Speaker 1: Let me get you out of here on this, because I had a guest last week who floated progressive strategist, who floated Stephen Colbert for president, and there was a part of me that said, you know, Stephen Colbert versus Tucker Carlston, maybe the presidential campaign we deserve.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a shame that twenty sixteen Donald Trump versus Hillary Clinton was not a race for mayor of New York City. That would have been a good race either one of it. Might have been a pretty good mayor of New York, might have enjoyed the job, might have been good at it. I don't think Colbert is the celebrity likely to carry the progressive banner anytime in the near future, because he is too old to white, and he's kind of yesterday's news. Ten years ago, maybe he would have been a more formidable kind of character.
Speaker 1: I hear where you're going. I'm not sure. I agree with you on that. I think progressive so badly want to win they'll take almost any vehicle that would give him power. And I say this not aggressive, not Democrats generally. I'm talking about the progressive wing of the Democrats.
Speaker 2: I bet if I thought about it for a few minutes, I could think of celebrities who would be better at that. And I wasn't joking about Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift could be president. She wanted to. Yep, she could, She could win forty states.
Speaker 1: Well, I just I guess to just wonder if this is our natural because if you actually look and not to I want to land this plane here so I know you've got We both have other things to do with our lives. You could argue Eisenhower was sort of the first celebrity president, right, he saved the world and we brought him in and then literally you want to nominate him, that's right, TV and celebrity, and then we basically celebritied the presidency all the way through. Right, We were always looking for the next leading man, the next person in it was. It was a role almost we were looking for, and communication suddenly was a priority rather than the ability to do the job rather than having any other skill set, just simply having the ability to communicate is everything. And I feel like now we've taken that even further. There used to be some skill set that matter. Oh, you need a governor, because at least a governor knows how to deal with legislatures. So that's what made Reagan work, and that's what made Clinton work, and and that was the case for w and then it's like, now all you need is a communicator now, and if you get your majority in Congress, you can jam through whatever you want to get through. You can feel like you accomplished something until there's a revolt. The other party comes in undoes ninety percent of what you did and they try to do the same thing. I do fear that we are getting more efficient with our decision making when it comes for presidential politics, where ability is out the window. It is all going to be about who communicates and organizes the best. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've for years, I've been trying to finish this book. I've been writing on idolatry and the American presidency. And there's a reason that kings are just the normal state of affairs everywhere in the world. In human history, and there's the reason that king worship was widespread throughout the world, across different times, different civilizations, different continents. I think that the desire to look toward one person, this sort of father figure, to be the personification and embodiment of your nation and its ambitions and its moral values and its greatness and all the rest of that stuff is just kind of hardwired into people. It's cultures that don't have that are by far the exception rather than the rule. And uh, we have to fight our way out of this primitivism every generation. You know, we're we're made of the same stuff that the first anatomically modern Homo sapiens were three hundred thousand years ago or maybe a million years ago, depending on which dating system you're going off of.
Speaker 1: We might be a little more muddish mutt like than some of the previous iterations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're still barking at the moon though. And if you don't have you know the uh, it's it's the famous Hannah or Rent line about every civilization being invaded by barbarians every generation in the form of their children. It's it's true, and that's just that's that's who we are. We don't. I don't believe that there's you know, progress in that sense is why I'm not a wig. And we have we start from scratch every time there's a new person I've got I've got four kids under the age of four, and they all started from scratch. They're all uncivilized little monsters when they come into the world, and you have to whip them into shape. And that's just how things are, and we're not going to grow out of it. We have to have institutions in a sort of national memory and a civic memory and a shared civic philosophy that elevates us out of that. You know, every successful country has an idea of itself and what it's about and what it's there for. We're different for most and that ours are really spelled out in these documents because we're not you know, kind of ethno state. We're not you know, the American race. But even countries that don't have that kind of literary aspect to their national history and their national founding and their founding story. And also we're a very modern country. You know, France has been around for a long time and we haven't. That idea has to be refreshed and renewed every generation. And if you lose it, just having the words on the page, hanging on a hall, on a document in Philadelphia is just not going to not going to do it for anybody. It's not going to work. I have been losing that because we're postliterate, and because we're rage addled and bored, and we're maybe too rich for our own good.
Speaker 1: I would argue a majority of our v voters have really only known to Presidents Obama and Trump, who were both built to be larger than life figures built.
Speaker 2: I think American politics changed radically for the worse after nine to eleven because of the kind of psychic trauma associated with that event. But now we've got a generation of people who've grown up never knowing what life was like before that, And pretty soon we'll have a generation of people who've never really known life before social media and smartphones, and that's going to be difficult to bounce back from.
Speaker 1: All Right, give me one reason why you're optimistic that has nothing to do with having young kids.
Speaker 2: I know that my redeemer liveth affair, But.
Speaker 1: How about optimistic for the country.
Speaker 2: I've often described myself as being short term paessimists long term optimist, and my pessimism has become, if not more pronounced. My imagination for what the downside could look like like and how intense the dip might be and the bad effects that go along with it. It's more intense now than it was. Well when I wrote the book The Engineering, It's going to be awesome that said, and I think we're.
Speaker 1: Going to hit a low, and I don't think we have any idea how bad it's going to ban. Like I Americans, I'm borderline prepper for that stuff.
Speaker 2: Americans don't want to be poor, we don't want to be miserable, we don't want to be vulnerable. We're smart, we have a lot of resources, we have a lot of assets, we're very creative. We have this culture of innovation that you don't really have anywhere else in the world. You know, Germany's got lots of really really smart people and good engineers and technicians and stuff. But there's a reason that like all the Internet companies essentially coming from the United States, and why we have things like venture capital that they don't really have in Europe. In the same kind of way I've often said, we have our murder problem for the same reason we have our venture capital industry, because we're just not people who process risk the same way the rest of the world does. We're very aggressive and assertive and willing to roll the dice on things, and that will ultimately service well, I think, because capital wants to go to the places where the best use can be made of it, unless we really really set our minds about destroying our country and our institutions in a very programmatic kind of way, which you know, Germany, arguably the most civilized country in the world in the nineteen thirties, did there is president for this, which China did to itself, and the cultural revolution in the Malears, which Russia did, although it was still a pretty backward country when it went through those things. Although we're very civilized and cultured backward country in many ways, so we we're our own best hope and our own worst enemy, I suppose, is what I would say. And I'm still slightly more than fifty percent of the view that the better version of that wins out in the long run. But I do have a suitcase full of a shoe box full of Swiss Franks with a forty five sitting on top and on the shoe box lit it says plan B.
Speaker 1: Look and note. Look, I am I share with you short term pessimism, long term optimates in that the next election isn't going to solve this problem. We've probabully got it. We've probably got another half generation of this before we I subscribe to what Churchill said about America. We'll eventually do the right thing after we've exhausted every other essentially every other path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're rolling our way.
Speaker 1: That's right. Hopefully we're almost done exhausting all the bad paths. Kevin. I enjoyed this a lot. I appreciate it, and we could have gone a couple hours. We've gone down other rabbit holes, but I appreciate the ones you let me go down.
Speaker 2: Well, feel free to invite me down the rabbit hole anytime you like.
Speaker 1: I will do that and enjoy fatherhood. It seems like you you went from zero to that is zero to four nineteen months. That is something else. That is that is that is changing your life starting at age fifty. That was smart. You know what, get into coach? Wait, what do you do that you haven't even gotten to the weekend Youth Sports marathons. Just wait, just wait, and I'm sure you think, oh not my kids. Oh you wait, you just wait, that'll be You'll be driving all over southwest Virginia.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to the station Wagon. Yeah. Thanks, Kevin, appreciate the time. Thank you,