Speaker 1: Awesome to have Chandler Room on the show, friend of the program and also the co host, of course of Crush City Show. He does a great job as the beat writer of the Houston Astros for the Athletic Chandler, good to be with you. As always, We appreciate your insight. What's more important for you right now for this club right now, pitching or outfield help?
Speaker 2: Well, judging from Dana Brown's comments, It's going to be outfield help. And this is something that he has been trying to He's been beating the drama about improving this outfield since the offseason. Remember they salary Damte sous Sanchez onto the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for Joey lo Berfido in spring training, and then after he did that, Dana Brown said, we're not done yet. We're going to add more to the outfield and that never manifested and you're seeing kind of how bad that's aged for him. The Astros outfield has the lowest batting average in baseball if they have the second lowest on base percentage in the third lowest ops in baseball. It has been one of the most unproductive offensive outfields in the sport. One thing they do very well. They catch the ball. It's one of the better defensive outfields in the game. But it is really weakening their lineup. Couple that with jose Al Tuve not playing to the level that we have expected Josel tub to play to Couple that with Jeremy Pania battling injuries throughout the first half, and this lineup at times this year has really been Jordan Alvarez, Christian Walker, Esach Paratus and then six other guys that they just kind of have to throw a dart at a board and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Wait, okay, I want to hit on the outfield first, because you can't have one without the other. And when they couldn't go or weren't able to go whatever Dana Brown wants to spin it, they weren't able to get the slug and the super all star outfielders they went defensive. Now, this is a bad pitching staff outside of Hunter Brown Spencerraghetti that has benefited from this. So are they willing to say it's either a Byron Bucksta Hint type or we're gonna keep catching the ball in the outfield because there it's hard to say, Well, we want a really, really good defensive outfielder that also banks. Yeah, everybody does. They just watched them on Tuesday in the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Well listen, crazy, Cam Smith's not going anywhere, and Cam Smith is. He was a Gold Glove finalist last year in right field. I thought it was very interesting that in the Astros last game of the first half, their hand was forced to do this. They had an injury happened in the game and they kind of ran out of outfielders. But for the last five innings of their last game of the first half against the Rangers, Cam Smith played center field, and it is something that they have been working with him on. He's played it in spring training before, he's taken fly balls before games there, but they had never played there in a major league game. So the fact that they felt confident enough even though they were forced to do it, the fact that they still felt confident enough to play this kid center field against a division rival in the Texas Rangers in a tie game and a series, in a pretty consequential series for the beginning of July, to me, that kind of opened the door for well, if they go find if they can go find either a either a right fielder or a left fielder. Could that open the door to maybe getting Cam Smith some more time in center field, because look, he's a brilliant defensive right fielder. I have and the Astros have no doubt he could transition to be an elite defensive center fielder. So from that aspect, when you look at it defensively, totally, Cam Smith's not going anywhere. Cam Smith's the best defensive outfielder they have. They also have Bryce Matthews, who's a converted infielder whos played some outfield for than this year, he's turned himself into one of the better defensive outfielders in baseball. They can use him lading games. And I think you bring up a good point, Cratzy, like this, Astro's pitching staff before the All Star Break was allowing the fourth highest fly ball rate in baseball. So it helps when you got a pitching staff that's given up a lot of fly balls to have an outfield that's pretty good at catch them.
Speaker 3: Okay, obviously it's the best nine players out on the field. And it just kills me to even ask this question, because I know you've probably been asked and answered so many times. Would they put yordn in left and really see your face for everybody listening, you have to see Chandler's face. But would they do it? Because I even asked the question about the Phillies. If they find a mashing right handed first baseman, would Bryce go back to right field for a half? And so I got to ask for the Astros, would they be willing to put yor don in left to add to this offense that they need.
Speaker 2: I will say this, Cratzy, he played more left field toward the end of the first half than maybe I thought he would. They have been so resistant to this, though, and Jordan Alvarez is mounting the most serious run out of Triple Crown since Miguel Cabrera won it in twenty twelve. I don't think they want to disturb anything that's going on with him. I don't think they want to put him in any more undue risk than they have to. So my gut would tell me no. But who knows what's available on the trade market. Who knows what they can go get? Another thought to me has been and again I don't think they would do this either. But remember Jose al Tuove played some left field last year. If they have if they can find an infielder, like I'm thinking of maybe Luisa Rise. Like again, this is just me completely speculating. I want that out there right now, Like, this is not sourced information, This is not me reporting anything. But you know I've thought about it. You know, Luisa Rise is available, He makes a ton of contact. He would be great in this lineup. Would they move jose Al Tuvay to left field? Again, I'm not sure. It didn't go well for him out there, but he wasn't a liability by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know if that's something they'd even broach with him. I know they respect him too much to move him around and kind of jockey him around a ton like they like to keep him in one place. So I have a hard time thinking that will happen. But look, I think anything should be on the table because this is a manager in Joe Espada, and a general manager and Dana Brown that don't have contracts for next year. And I'm not saying getting to the playoffs is the end all be all that they're going to get another one. But if they don't get to the playoffs, it's pretty clear what's going to happen. So they they need to get this team to the playoffs in whatever way necessary. So I would take nothing off the table in terms of how they could configure this thing. Depending on who's available to go.
Speaker 4: Get big second half of the season coming up, there might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and see geek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good, and they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 5: Why would you not use seekeek if you want to view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 2: It's easy to use.
Speaker 5: It's one click boom. You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game whatever you're a fan of, if you can go to whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sek.
Speaker 4: And for MLB tickets you can get ten percent off with that promo codever running all season long Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree with it.
Speaker 6: I had them in the playoffs, so that would make me look good too, So ultimately we need them to find a way. But I want to talk about al two va again here a little bit about its hitting, strikeout rate is up a little bit, swinging out of his own What do you think ultimately is the problem with him? Is it you know, getting old?
Speaker 3: Is it? The age?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 6: You know he's seeing different types of pitch? And talk to me a little bit about this whole situation with him.
Speaker 2: I mean, father time comes for everyone, Todd, you know that everybody. Kratzy knows that. Everybody knows that. But al Tuove has defied odds and defied aging and defied kind of logic for his entire career. So I never want to count him out by any stretch of the imagination. But since August first of last year, he has been by WRC plus, he's been a below average hitter. He's had a ninety five WRC plus since August first of last year. That's five points below league average. Like you said, he's striking out at his highest rate of his career this year. He's whiffing at a highest rate of his career this year. Joe Spata is hitting him fifth in the Astros lineup, which is the lowest he has ever hit in his major league career consistently in a lineup. But I will say this, toward the end of the first half, you saw Al two ve out on the field, taking more early BP and doing more early work than I think I've ever seen him do. And a lot of it talking to Victor Rodriguez, a hitting coach, talking to people around the team. A lot of it has to do with his leg kick, right he Kratzy. You played with him, you're remembering Todd, You've seen it, Like he's got that big leg kick. Sometimes when he gets his foot down and he's timing up things, they want him to maybe temper that a little bit, maybe not take it out entirely, but make it a little smaller of a leg kick, and I know he's been working on that. But the interesting thing too, is he's maybe shown a little more frustration in that first half than we're accustomed to seeing from him. Look, I'm not oblivious to the fact that he probably goes down in the tunnel like everybody does, and takes it back to something and shows his frustration outside of public view. But there were a couple times in the first half that we saw it publicly from him, and that is rare for him. It's odd to see that from him. So they need him to bounce back. They don't. Look, they don't need him to carry this lineup. Jordan Alvarez is doing that just fine. Jeremy Pania can do that. They've got Christian Walker who's on pace to hit thirty homers again. Like they don't need al tuo Ve to be peak twenty nineteen, twenty seventeen jose L Tuove, but they need him to be something close to that. They need him to be a meaningful contributor in this lineup, and there have been stretches this year where he just hasn't been.
Speaker 1: Chandler. He recently wrote in The Athletic about Tutsia am I and what the Astros need to do with him, or perhaps just a question mark about what they need to do with am my eighteen million dollar paycheck. Perhaps the only thing preserving his spot in the Astros starting rotation owns a six point zero six ERA is seventy plus seventy ERA plus, which means it's thirty percent below league average. I mean, it seems like it's just the elephant in the room. Do they part ways with him? Where do you see this thing going?
Speaker 2: Even worse than all that, Alana, He's made thirteen starts and he has failed to throw five innings and seven of them. Oh wow, that in and of itself is bad. It's bad on the day he pitches. But what that does to the next two or three days, because the Astros have to run through their bullpen, they have to make a bunch of roster moves after games to get fresh arms. Here, not only has he impacted the game he is pitching, he's impacting the next two or three games. And with sixty four games left in the schedule and with the urgency, the Ashers are going to have to have to win games to stack wins and to make a run at making the playoffs. Like, I don't know how much longer they can keep starting him every fifth or sixth day. There have been stretches of competence. You know, he had a stretch in June where he won a two start stretch where he struck out twenty two guys and walked one guy and span of two starts. You don't luck your way into that. You don't luck your way into striking out twenty two big league hitters across two starts. It's in there, Like, it's in there that he can do this, but I'm not sure it's going to come at the rate and at the consistency and with the urgency that the Astros need. So what do they do with him? Well, they're gonna he's going to start to open the second half. He's going to be in the rotation, and he's because of the because of everything around him, he's gonna get some runway. But if it keeps going like this and he can't get you at least into the fifth inning every time out, then they're gonna have some real conversations. You know, it's a risk to put him in the bullpen because he doesn't throw enough strikes to be in the bullpen. That's been his big bugaboo is that he throws too many balls, and he's giving up a forty six percent hard hit rate this season, So he's throwing balls and then when he's thrown it over the plate, it's getting mashed. So I don't know if it works necessarily in the bullpen. Emi, like kode I Sanga, has a clause in his contract that allows him to be optioned to the minor leagues, but he has to he has to give his consent to do so, just like kode I Sanga did with the Mets last year. So I don't know if they would ever reach that point. But if he keeps performing as inconsistently as he did in the first half, it's gonna be a conversation that may be forced upon them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we shouldn't compare just all Japanese pitchers of Japanese pitchers, but Roki society. He went to the bullpen you have, and when he profiled, he came over. I talked to a scout when he's got signed that watched him over in Japan. He profiled as a bullpen guy because he really just has one above average pitch and that's his slider. And I feel like as a as a starter, he's afraid to throw strikes and that's why he's getting whacked once it's two oh, because big league hitters just crush it pratzy.
Speaker 2: He throws two pitches. He throws a fastball. He throws fastball and a slider, And I get the slider does a lot of different things. He can manipulate the slider to move so many different ways, so maybe it acts like different pitches within it. But at his core, he's a two pitch pitcher. And the Astros have implored and tried to get him to throw his change up, to throw his split, and he has even said, you know, when I was in Japan, this worked. The Astros signed me for the guy I was in He has said this before, The Astros signed me for what I did in Japan. So I want to do what I did in Japan, and in Japan this is how he pitched, and it's not working well. I will say this to give him maybe a little bit of benefit of the doubt. Baseball Savant and the public pitch metrics have no idea how to identify his pitches, Like there are some times when we'll go through an entire start of EMI and it only shows fastball slider, and we'll go in the clubhouse after the game and he'll say, oh, I threw like ten splits and it didn't even it didn't publicly identify. So maybe in his head he's throwing more than two pitches, but at his core, he's a two pitch pitcher, and those two pitches better be elite if you want to get through a major league lineup two and three times. And I think it's proven through the first half of this season that those aren't elite just yet.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've caught guys who throw sliders that also throw splitters and they register the exact same and hitters don't see the difference in the pitchers, Like.
Speaker 2: What what is that?
Speaker 3: So is this a is this a fault by the Astros who never really have dipped into the Japanese market, And will this create some trepidation next time Jim Crane, maybe his next GM comes to him and says, we want another Japanese pitcher.
Speaker 2: Cratzy Dike and Park. The naming rights on Dike and Park are there for a while, so there's gonna be no trip. There's gonna be no trepidation about getting more Japanese. Japanese players here, don't worry about that. But I mean, I think we need to see how the second half goes, right, Like, I don't think we can write Tetsuya EMI's entire season story right now. He did not have a good first half. Maybe he rebounds in the second half and maybe he turns into what they imagined he could be. Maybe it takes another year because he's got an opt out after this year, and if he keeps pitching like this, he's gonna opt in because he's not gonna get anything in free agency that would be close to the eighteen million dollars that the Astros are on the hook for. So maybe it takes him a year and he turns into something better next year. But yeah, as of right now, you have to really do a really deep audit as to whether they knew this was like this, whether they knew whether how much they knew about the arsenal, how much they knew about the makeup things like that. You know, Jim Crane was pretty forthright and saying they did not have a ton of scouting infrastructure in the Pacific RIM and in Asia when they signed tetsu Emi. Now they have it. Now, they have really bolstered it up there. They've hired more scouts, they've put a lot more resources into it, so they're better prepared for the next time around. But I mean, Jim Crane set it out right like we bolst I mean he said it when they introduced tetsu Emi. We've bolstered our Asian and Pacific RIM scouting infrastructure. But that didn't help with this one.
Speaker 6: Jordan Alvarez, absolutely fantastic ballplayer, won the best in the league, going going for a triple crown. Like, think about that, he's got all the accolades he's hitting. Well, let's talk about how impressed impressive it is to watch him play. It seems like every time he gets to the play and it looks like he's gonna do damage, no matter if it's a right hand or left handed thrown.
Speaker 2: Todd. The thing that just amazes me every time I watch him, it's not just the power. Everyone thinks it's power because he has thirty one homers and he hits balls four hundred and fifty feet effortlessly, but it is he is a hit over power guy. And he has been that since day one. If you talk to scouts that initially found him, if you talk to guys like in the minor leagues that had him, he has always been hit over power. And I think you're show he's showing right now. He's got a three eighteen batting average, like he's got a lifetime two ninety nine batting average. This is not just a big slugger that strikes out and hits a bunch of homers. This is a guy that is if he has to come up and move a runner, move runners in a scoring position, he can do that. If he has to come up and he sees a side vacated and they're not going to intentionally walk him, he can just go out and get a ball and hit it through the right for a base hit, like never trying to do too much, never gets out of his plan either. And I think the thing that fascinates his teammates is like he'll go down looking at a change up and like his first at bat, and then if the pitcher tries to throw him a change up in his next to bat, he's in a crush at four hundred feet, Like you can't get him out the same way every time. I don't think his cerebral nature and his intelligence and his hitting aptitude get enough credit for how good this guy.
Speaker 1: Is Chandler before Oh go ahead?
Speaker 2: Is baseball?
Speaker 3: Is Baseball going to recognize it? I know Kyle Schwarberg got a lot of votes last year as a DH. Is Baseball going to allow Jordan Alvarez if he doesn't quite get the Triple Crown to win the MVP over say a junior Camenaro who's gonna continue to stay hot but play third base.
Speaker 2: I don't if he wins the Triple Crown, I don't know how you don't. I don't know how he doesn't win the MVP. If if it's one of these situations where it is now where he leads the al and Homers, he leads the AL and RBI, and YONDI Diez has a four point lead on him in batting average. Like if it's that close, then maybe you know we have a debate. But I don't think there's a better player in the American League right now than Jordan Alvarez. Like I don't know how you look at everything he has done and everything he's meant to this team too, Like you take this team's four games under five hundred. You take Jordan Alvarez off this team and they're what ten to fifteen under five hundred, and they are dead, buried in gone. This the value he brings to the Astros. Just to me, he is the He was unquestioned the most valuable player in the American League in the first half, and I think, barring just a complete fall off, I can't see him not winning the award.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which begs the question, people better be paying attention to what you're done Alvarez is doing in the American League. For that MVP. Before we let you go Chandler, Lance mccullor's junior wearing a different uniform. He had said at one point that he didn't ever want to wear another team's uniform and at once told the team's fan base to bury me in the h he's no longer there. What do you make of it?
Speaker 2: You know? It was something that the Astros have been trying to do for a while now. He was in one of the packages that they talked about with the Cardinals last year for Nolan Arnado. They had explored trading Lance a couple different times, but I think this was a more graceful and nice way to end his tenure in Houston, because it was going to come to an end here pretty soon, whether it was going to be a DFA, whether it was going to be just because they don't have room for him. They don't have room form in the rotation. I think he would have been amenable to a bullpen roll, but I'm not sure how effective he would have been out of the bullpen. This allows him to go to a Milwaukee Brewers team that's obviously very high up in contention. They've got their renown for their pitching development, they're now for their pitching infrastructure. It allows him to go have a fresh start, and you know, I think when he talked to me yesterday or two days ago when he got traded, you know, the one thing he said is he didn't want his selfishness and he didn't want him to be the reason that the Astros could not do with the wanted to do with the trade deadline. Trading him gives them an extra two and a half million dollars under the luxury tax I thought it was a very noble thing by Jim Crane, the owner, to call him and to you know, lay out the situation. I thought it was a very noble thing by Lance to to, you know, understand the respect he has for this organization, that he didn't want to be the reason that this team couldn't accomplish what it wants to accomplish going forward. So you wonder a lot with Lance what could have been just given the stuff, the nastiness, the swag that he has. He had the makings of like a Front of the Rotation style ace, but just his body betrayed him. And it's a tough it was a tough thing to watch. But hopefully and go to Milwaukee in his in this contract on a good note and who knows what's next for him. Channeler.
Speaker 3: I want people to go to Crush City Territory and watch your show. But I gotta ask, do you like dad jokes? Because you're very stoic on camera.
Speaker 2: I mean, Tyler's got the dad jokes. Tyler's a co host, Tyler is the is the dad jokes guy. So I let him. I let him handle that. He is a dad, he's got three kids, So I am not a dad. I don't mind dad jokes. I really don't.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, then I have one for you today. What happens when a frog's car dies. I don't know he gets it, Toady. We got, we got Chandler. Smile. That's all we needed. That's all we need. Chandler. Now he's back covering Jim Crane's astros.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Chandler.
Speaker 4: We appreciate it very much.
Speaker 1: We were waiting for that. I tell you what has been waiting for that all day. You can go check out Chandler on Crush City Territory with Chandler, Josh Uddick and Tyler Stafford. Obviously we'll be right back to stay with us. Hot corner, Hot topic of conversation. It is a I and by that I do not mean Alana Ayanetta. I mean artificial intelligence. Guys, there is a crackdown that has ranked some front office officials. It's ruffled some feathers, if you will. Major League Baseball eric has effectively outlawed the growing practice of using league provided dugout iPads to access generative artificial intelligence. Some teams had increasingly leaned upon this to help shape in game strategy. This is way above my pay grade, way above my understanding of what is going on. But I know that there are Major League Baseball approved iPads in the dugout, but apparently you're not allowed to use artificial intelligence at the level in which some of these teams are using it.
Speaker 2: EK.
Speaker 3: So obviously everybody gets if you watch a game, all the coaches and everybody gets a printed out piece of paper and then they put like fifty more of them, and I know, and it's all color coded, and it's who's gonna who looks good in this matchup? That matchup green red. You know, you get a queue of different colors, and that helps them. It has numbers. Big fan of that going digital, like, that's totally fine. When you start mixing in the AI stuff, when you start losing the human aspect of it, I think that's when technology has gone too far. I don't think they should have fifty pieces of paper printed out, but I also think that all this information can be paralysis by analysis for teams. But this is also the reason I cried so loud when they started bringing in the PitchCom and I said this, they have to put their foot down and say this cannot be from the dugout, because now all of a sudden you're going to have some type of connection with AI to the PitchCom and if it's allowed in the dugout, now someone else is pushing those buttons and essentially the guys are just gonna be out on the field as video games.
Speaker 6: Christya, I think you said it right, man, whatever happened and going with your gut, you know, whatever happened?
Speaker 2: Hey, man, well why didn't you get to that ball?
Speaker 6: Because I always had Darren Bragg always used to come up to me and say phrase. You can never get in trouble by saying hey, coach, like, hey, what were you doing there? Hey? When I had a gut feeling, I went with my gut because I saw this guy the other day he was pulling the ball here. You know, I didn't get to the ball because I went two steps here. Okay, fine, let's learn from it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: And you know, for pitch calling, come on, you guys been around the game like you guys are ballplayers. Recommendations regarding substitutions like what what? What?
Speaker 2: This is another thing I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, I'm so bewildered about because these guys have been around, these managers, these coaches, players like dude, just call the pitches, go with a gut feeling. If a guy slider's working that day, and this guy still hits sliders really well, guess what, throw the slider because it's on point right now. You know how hard it is to hit that kind of pitch. So go with your gut, go within stinks, go with what you've seen and what you've been a part of, and just play the game. You're right, you don't want any more robotic than what it is. I love the human element. That's for fans to talk about the next day. Man, why did this guy do this? Oh well, now they're going to talk. Well, he's saw on the computer. Remember when they used to back in the day. Just go with the gut feeling and go with oh man, this guy's a pole hitter predominantly. Now, man, we don't want that. I don't want that. I shouldn't say wait, I don't want that. So go with your gut and enjoy the game. You can bring that human element involved into it a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Wait, Todd, you said these coaches and managers are qualified. I think this is exactly why they're doing it. I don't think a lot of them are qualified. And if the manager's qualified and they're still doing this, to me, I think it's people above them that are not qualified and are afraid to lose their jobs so they can implement these things.
Speaker 2: I call them.
Speaker 3: PowerPoint coaches, coaches that get their jobs from PowerPoint presentations. Well, you know, because this happens fifty two percent of the time. Here's the greatest way to do it. Oh yeah, okay, Well, how do you get your hand underneath the ball like that? How do you get your timing down when you're not seeing the ball out of his hand? How do you receive this pitch this way? How do you feel the groundball?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm gonna tell you in my PowerPoint that thirty nine percent of the time when the ball bounces three times when it gets to you at second. Bit Like that's it's underqualified people. And I am not at all old man. Get off my lawn. That is Todd, That is aj when he is on That is Chris, Iyanetta in in Alana's house. Like I am, I am not the old guy. Get off my lawn. But you know what I am. I'm a people person. And I think when they start doing this, they are they are effectively taking away why people come to the game and why they don't just stay at home and play a video game on their own. It's because you watch humans play. And we just talked about Jordan Alvarez, how he will not allow somebody to get him out the second time on the same pitch. You know why not because he looked at it on the iPad. Maybe he looks at it and goes, oh, that what pitch was away I thought it was. It's because he remembers, he learns, and he takes that into the next time, and he is a freak of nature and he can destroy the baseball against the opponent that is out there also a human against them.