Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, the show that's using a drone to spy on Sam Muis's house, hoping to steal secrets on how to make a great podcast. It's Game Day, Baybay US soccer versus Zambia three pm Eastern this afternoon, and I will be glued to my TV because you know, I love the players and you love the game.
Speaker 2: Lf G.
Speaker 1: I am so pumped and also very nervous, and my sphincter will be engaged all day. On today's show, it's our first group chat. Comedians Aaron Foley and Morgan Murphy are going to join the show for what I predict will be absolute chaos and guaranteed laughs. I think Thursday group chats are going to be a little unhinged, so hang on to your butts. But first, here's what you need to know today, and we got a lot of news today, y'all. Tennis player Coco Goff was selected to serve as the female flag bear for Team USA during this Friday's opening ceremony. She'll join four time NBA champ Lebron James. Both of them were selected through a vote from their US teammates.
Speaker 2: Bit of context here.
Speaker 1: Three years ago, Goff, then just seventeen years old, was slated to make her Olympic debut in Tokyo, but she was forced to miss the Games after testing positive for COVID. Since then, she clinched her first major title, winning the US Open last year. The Olympic tennis competition starts on Saturday, and Goff, currently number two in the world, will compete in both singles and doubles.
Speaker 2: It's official.
Speaker 1: The first sky high scandal of the Paris Olympics is here, and it involves the nice old folks from Canada A. The Canadian Olympic Committee has sent home an assistant women's soccer coach and analyst after they were accused of attempting to belichick the games. That's right, spy in an opponent's training session New Zealand, specifically ahead of the Canada New Zealand matchup today. They kick off the Olympic Soccer tournament at eleven am Eastern so. In a statement, Team Canada confirmed that the analyst, Joseph Lombardi, had used a drone to quote record the New Zealand women's football team during practice.
Speaker 2: But that's not all.
Speaker 1: On Wednesday, the Canadian Olympic Committee announced that there was an earlier drone incident, also involving Team New Zealand on July nineteenth. Because of heightened security around the Olympics, there have been strict rules against the use of drones around Olympic sites, unrelated to the separate ethics issue of spying on your opponent. So as a results of the scandal, Canadian head coach Bev Priestman said she will remove herself from overseeing the team's opening game, and assistant Andy Spence will service head coach in her place. Asked about the incident, Priestsman said into press conference that she's quote ultimately responsible for conduct in our program, but she didn't directly answer a question about whether she knew about the drones. This story is still unfolding, with the IOC Soccer Federation, FIFA, French government, everybody still weighing in, so we'll make sure we keep you updated as new details emerge. That's not the only bad news for Team New Zealand, though women's soccer captain Ali Riley, who plays for A in the NWSL, has had to withdraw from the Olympic tournament due to medical reasons. The Paris Games were supposed to have been the thirty six year old's fifth Olympic appearance. In an Instagram post, Riley said she's been struggling with a nerve issue for the last seven months and because the injuries so unpredictable quote, my coach decided it would be best for the team to withdraw me completely from the squad. Riley's been replaced on New Zealand's roster by Mikayla Foster. We're super bummed for Ali Get Well Quick. You may remember how after just one episode of the show, a listener called us out for not including enough horseback riding coverage.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well look who was.
Speaker 1: A little too quick to judge this podcast by its cover art. That's because the sport of equestrian is also being rocked by its own scandal ahead of the Olympic opening ceremony, and we are here to cover it with the best of them. Unfortunately, it's not a very good story. Great Britain's Charlotte Dujardin, a six time Olympic medalist and one of the best known dressage riders in the world, has withdrawn from the Games after video footage emergion showing her repeatedly whipping a horse during a training session. In her statement withdrawing from Paris, the thirty nine year old Dujardin said the video showed her making a quote error of judgment and that my video quote does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, perhaps the sport of horse racing, which features many forms of cruelty beyond just whipping the horses, should take a note and start to treat the animals better, or maybe just be canceled altogether. Because horse racing the roster for the inaugural Unrivaled season, the three x three basketball league founded by Brianna Stewart and the FISA Collier continues to grow and the latest player to join up is from my Chicago Sky.
Speaker 2: It's the double Double.
Speaker 3: Queen.
Speaker 1: Forward Angel Reese will be part of Unrivaled. She joined Stuart and Collier plus Chelsea Gray, Arique A Gunbawallee, Jewel Lloyd Kelsey Plum, Ryan Howard, Khalia Copper and Jackie Young when the league tips off in January twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Can't wait, Gotta.
Speaker 1: Take a break when we come back, Let's get weird. Welcome to the very first edition of Group Chat, where we take the tea from the text all the way to the airwaves.
Speaker 2: And I've got two ladies.
Speaker 1: That are hopefully going to be as unhinged and hilarious as I predict. Aaron Foley and Morgan Murphy, two comedians. Morgan's a stand up comedian, writer and actress, one of the original writers on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, a writer on Two Broke Girls, and a diehard sports fan. Aaron Foley is a comedy writer and season stand up She wrote on two seasons of That ninety Show on Netflix and the critical acclaimed sitcom One Day to Time. She's written for the SP's and she's also a massive sports fan. We were all in Phoenix boiling our internal organs and drinking through it, and here we are now to talk about all things women's sports, the Olympics, ourselves.
Speaker 2: Morgan, tell us a little about yourself.
Speaker 3: My name's Morgan, I'm I have a dog. I've lived in Oregon, California, Connecticut. Ah in your heart?
Speaker 2: What else about me?
Speaker 3: I write, I write for TV, I do stand up comedy, can't dance?
Speaker 2: Is that good like sports?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: What state are you currently in, because if you start with single, people are gonna come looking.
Speaker 5: Uh oh, I don't want to be with anybody.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm telling you, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm perfectly five, perfectly okay.
Speaker 2: I've been Los.
Speaker 3: Angeles, California. Heard about Aaron tell Us about yourself.
Speaker 6: My name's Morgan.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: TV writer, Uh yeah, stand up comic, primarily do some TV writing. Obsessed with women's sports since uh since birth. Got a pat podcast called her Lights, dedicated to women's sports. It's my favorite guest so far has been Sarah Spain. Good choice. Yeah, New Yorker, all my New York teams. I've got a little baby Terrier dog named Jeter because I have a small obsession with Derek Jeter. I have a wife, but she refuses to get married, so I call her partner. Her name's Sarah.
Speaker 7: No h.
Speaker 6: That's about it.
Speaker 2: Pretty good, Pretty good. Let's talk about this All Star weekend.
Speaker 1: It was massively successful for the league, for the players and for everyone who attended. Everybody I talked to said, by far the best one yet, and I would agree both on the parties, the activations, the game play, you know, the eyeballs. Everything was pretty pretty high end, and it's if you went to those a couple of years ago, it felt very different. Even if you just went to the Chicago one where they gave us roughly one month's notice and it felt a little you know, thrown together at the last minute. This was a whole different situation, Morgan, What did you make of just like the spectacle of it all.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know, I had such a phenomenal time, and I think obviously I went with you know, some some far higher profile people than me, so I definitely got a little bit of a rarefied view of the whole thing. But it was so lovely and by far the best thing about it was to be at these parties and to be at the game and to see like people I've I've really admired for a long time, just be loved, just be like showered with praise and awe.
Speaker 5: And that was the coolest part.
Speaker 3: It was like it was women's sports on a pedestal in a great way.
Speaker 1: You are way too cool to name drop, but I'll do it for you so our listeners can get a view from Afar of what it is to hang with a dream squad. It was you subered Meghan Rappino, Aubrey Plaza and Jason Sedeikis courtside and at all the parties like that is an unbelievable group of people to get to go to this kind of event with. And I mean, we got to ask about I saw on your Instagram that you were taking shots in the New Phoenix Mercury training facility, and we know for a fact, by the rest of my internet's looting that that is where Aubrey Plaza tour acl playing a game of knockouts, So I have to ask was it you?
Speaker 2: It was not me.
Speaker 3: And by the way, when you started that sentence with I know you were taking shots, I was.
Speaker 5: Like, oh no, what did she see?
Speaker 2: Okay, have basketball?
Speaker 6: It was not me.
Speaker 3: I was in line. I was in a knockout line, minding my own business.
Speaker 5: And yeah, she went down.
Speaker 2: My girl, Aubrey went down, but she's she.
Speaker 3: I mean, she handled it better than I ever could have. So strong.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, there's a thing about having a catastrophic injury in a sporting event where everyone is bummed and yet somewhat prepared that it might happen.
Speaker 2: But just play a knockout with your friends.
Speaker 1: I mean a whole I was trying to when I saw her the next night court side, I'm like, are those is that Aubrey on crutches?
Speaker 2: And then I start looking around.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm just trying to imagine the faces of the people around her that are trying to be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh you good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I will say, oh my god, we're aal It was friendly, but it was you know, it was everyone I was with can like shoot, you know, I mean like obviously Jason's great, and and Aubrey can play, and her sister can play nat Plaza and Jason's sister Lindsay, you know, is there she can play, so everyone would play.
Speaker 5: So people were you know, people were going for the ball.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it wasn't too loose, but yeah, she just took a you know, one of those. She came down funny, you know, and and to be very honest, like she was so chill about it, like so not hysterical the way I probably would have been that. I was like, I can't be it can't be that bad. Yeah, I was like, oh, she's fine, She's fine. I was like, no, she's just like incredibly H's incredible uh tolerance and uh and I was like, oh yeah, anybody that okay with being heart is fine.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh no, she really.
Speaker 5: Did do it.
Speaker 3: And then we went you know, she went to the you know, the team, the facility. I mean, it was just every everyone was great. I think people were like nervous and everyone was great.
Speaker 1: A good place to terry acl right if you're kind of unexpectedly stuffer that kind of injury, doing it with a world renowned training staff and a brand element. She's the first one in the MRI machine, the ice math like she's just like getting DIBs on everything.
Speaker 7: Faller.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was, but it was, you know, obviously it put a damper on on.
Speaker 2: What was otherwise.
Speaker 3: It's just the coolest experience, like for me, for anybody out there who's in that kind of played in high school level of you know, it could have been me, you know what I mean, And it could never have been me. But when you get an opportunity to like you all right, hey, this is the floor where and then you get to pretend your other p balls is like the Diana Tarasi court, you know, and I'm like, I'm a grown woman and I'm like, I'm like, Elsie, take a picture of me on the court, like it's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then her body reminded her you are not that you are in fact, although A's Aubrey's good Aubrey and she's very good from the pistol shrim we've all seen the college.
Speaker 3: Three of us played on a team called the Spice Girls. We won the twenty seventeen Municipal League in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: But Aubrey this season because she had tore her other aco.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god. Put her in bubble wrap, Aaron.
Speaker 1: Did anyone suffer any catastrophic injuries near you or as a result of.
Speaker 2: You this weekend?
Speaker 6: Hopefully not as a result of me. I thought between the Gin and Tonics and the one hundred and sixteen degree heat, I was gonna die. I kept all my acls attacked, but I basically just did like a triangle from the hotel to the Footprint Center to the Convention Center back to the hotel.
Speaker 7: Bar.
Speaker 6: Yeah. My friend was like, do you want to explore Phoenix?
Speaker 1: I go?
Speaker 6: Does anybody ever want to explore Phoenix?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: I don't. I'm good, I've I've performed there. I'm totally good, but yeah, the energy and excitement. I've never seen little the same amount of little girls and grown ass women chasing players around for pictures. It was so hilarious and heartwarming at the same time. I was literally having a conversation with a friend of a friend and she just ran and I was like, where'd she go? And she I think she saw some player and just just sprinted like she's in her fifties. I was like, where did she? Where did she just go? It was amazing. I just couldn't stop smiling the whole weekend. It was just like a so good bag of joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I met you at your hotel, part of the triangle, the Bermuda Triangle of your Phoenix visit. And one of my favorite things about going to women's sporting events is all the brilliant, badass, smart, incredible women that I know in the world of sports, and particularly the ones that are like president of teams, but you're still just like having drinks and shooting the shit. It feels very different than those same spaces in the men's.
Speaker 2: Sports world that I've been in for a while.
Speaker 1: But one of my other favorite things is just all the all the lesbians I love lesbians and I love their lesbian stories, and you had like the most quintessential sports lesbian moment right at the bar there, can you please share?
Speaker 6: Yeah? By the way, Like I text her, She's like, Okay, I'm gonna bring some of my friends. I'm like okay. So I meet her friends and they're all like a president of the Valkyries, president of the Toronto w and like I'm trying to make small talk with these people, and I'm just like, oh, hey, what do you do? And I'm like, I me at the Chuck and Chuckle Hut on Saturday. And she's like she looked like she was twenty five. She's like, I'm running the Toronto expansion to the WMB. I was like, could I get a little warning before I meet these people? I was losing my mind. Thankfully I had a couple of drinks. Anyway, So I meet one of your friends, Carrie, and we're just chatting right and she goes, uh, oh you do stand up? Are you have a women's sports podcast? I go yeah, yeah. All of a sudden, I don't know how she put it together. She goes, did you date you know so and so? And I go, yeah, I did date Gwen and she goes, I dated Gwen and we just screamed like that literally, that was in the first five minutes. We both dated the same person. And then Sarah, you don't even know this, but after the game, we went back to the bar. My friend Gretchen and I and your friends were there. We sat down with them, and Haley said she ran into her ex girlfriend who was like toxic. At halftime. I was like, oh my god, everybody was just seeing their act.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and then and then Carrie was like, Haley, you look familiar to I'm like, did you guys date They're like, we don't think so.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, this is the best.
Speaker 6: She looked so familiar to me. And at one point I was like, oh god, I did a lot of shows in Seattle and I was not sober, so who knows.
Speaker 3: I could not relate more to like the showing up and everyone's like, got our real job and it's cool, and you're just you're trying to exp like, go, what I do is I like make people up in my brain and then.
Speaker 5: I just go like I'll have them talk to each other.
Speaker 6: I put socks on my hands, I'm like, hey, hey, you. How do you speak?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They all look so young.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: So I was like, so trying to make up credits I didn't have. I was like, oh cool, you run two expansion teams. Yeah, well I'll try to get up earlier.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, you guys realized that all of those people want to be you though. I mean, that's how it always is.
Speaker 1: That's that's the beauty of all of it, though, is like, is that's the beauty of sports.
Speaker 3: I think for anybody not in sports, as you're just like, there is nothing cooler.
Speaker 5: There's nothing cooler twenty years.
Speaker 1: In this like musicians want to be in sports, and sports people want to be music and comedians. It's it's that's why it's fun to get everyone together.
Speaker 2: And this weekend was just.
Speaker 3: I always tell people, like, if you want to really compliment a comedian, tell them, like you like the way they play the guitar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like you're a really good Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just happened.
Speaker 5: To see you that like time that you Yeah.
Speaker 1: We won't even name prominent podcasters who insist on playing their guitar during the podcast that you're definitely listening to for things other than their guitar shout out Mark.
Speaker 2: Marrit great podcast speaking of Uh.
Speaker 1: Saw that in your bio. I wasn't going to bring it up, but I'm so glad you did.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: How was that?
Speaker 2: Are you still friends?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: We're friends. It's like it was like a blip, but like a blip.
Speaker 3: But you know when you record, Uh, when you go on record about a blip, then it goes somehow.
Speaker 5: You You're like googling yourself and you know, I love.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what men love is when you call them a blip.
Speaker 5: I would think he would call me.
Speaker 1: I think direction of anything, a relationship or otherwise.
Speaker 2: It was, it was.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just a funny. It's funny what becomes the headline, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Where you're just like I like, if I google myself, it'll be like my name Mark Marin and.
Speaker 5: Like, uh did she get fat?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: It's like there's like or there's another headlight? Is what happened to her? That's a good one.
Speaker 2: I've been getting that.
Speaker 6: That's on everybody and you're like, love, Mark, she's twelve, What do you mean what.
Speaker 2: Happened to you? She grew?
Speaker 1: You know, Morgan, I heard you on Pabulatory, my buddy Poblatory's podcast, which is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Pubulatory finds Out, and I love the way you.
Speaker 1: Talked about your experiences in women's sports, and particularly you were on the way to a w NBA event and seated next to a woman that said she'd been going forever, and you were thinking about her as you were watching the eyeballs, the craziness, the enthusias, and how fun it must be for her to kind of see everyone catch up to this thing that she's been in love with, be going to for decades. And that's kind of how I think a lot of us feels like we're excited, but also there's some good and some bad. So give me the best part about everyone else discovering how brad women's sports are and the worst part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, shout out to Helen that actually was on sitting next her on the plane on the way to the final four. You know it's right, Yeah, playing a plane full of a plane full of you know, fans and a lot older women and yeah, ex girlfriends, and Helen's a it was is like eighty and in her eighties and she has been going forever, And I think about you know, I think it's very hard, and I often think about, like, oh, the year before the w NBA.
Speaker 2: I think about, like what if I think about the.
Speaker 3: Players who were drafted the first year, like Cynthia Cooper, like who probably had another decade and you know, who played in the league when it started and were older than you know people are now who come in, and just kind of the idea of missed opportunities is very hard to ignore when the opportunities arise right when the attention is sort of given to this thing that's so magical.
Speaker 5: But you know, oh my gosh, what if? The what if?
Speaker 3: The hypotheticals are really impossible to not think about, and I get like, I get like legitimately emotional. I mean seeing Cheryl Miller there and Myers and these women that you know, in my mind should be uh you know, household names and are in households that I would hang at it. But uh, but I just think, like, man, you know, what the what ifs of of women who probably were good enough to play but couldn't afford to, you know, uh, take a job playing basketball that wasn't going to pay for their life or their family.
Speaker 5: Uh, all of these things.
Speaker 2: So obviously.
Speaker 5: Now what is happening is is so cool. It's amazing as a fan to to see. But then you know, you gotta you gotta think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and then of course you go like and then you go in two hundred years ago, we couldn't even own a hat like you really it really is quick, right, you have to play hat, You're like, you try to goa like you got to keep it in the in the sort of confines of basketball, otherwise you'll be like, oh my god, we started so late.
Speaker 2: We didn't but we all got to have credit cards. Yeah, so we win in.
Speaker 1: Our own name, Aaron.
Speaker 6: Best part is, you know, my I told you so moments. For the last forty years, people dragging being like convincing people to go to women's sports games, And now I get texts like, hey, Aeronie, you going tonight. I'm like, yeah, yeah, I am going tonight. I've gone every night for thirty years and draged you there, and now like just seeing them like so excited to play ahead to go to games. By far, that's the best. I feel like everyone is just like coming out of the woodwork and enjoying themselves. Also, I don't have to hide in my room and watch the any type of women's sport on my computer because now Sarah, my partner, is like I'll watch. I'm like, great, it's only been seven years we've been together.
Speaker 3: And I'm to hear somebody else right like talk save my life to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just like I have to go do work. And I'm like, oh, you know, I watch like women's bowling. I'm like great. But the the worst part is these like dumb hot takes. I was at the Liberty, Connecticut Sun game before the Surface of the Sun Phoenix weekend and this guy was with his daughter. I'll make this quick, and it was Alyssa Thomas was at the foul line and in a loud voice, he's like, oh my god, she's a terrible shooter. Why why don't look at her form? I don't know why I'm talking like this is like every straight man.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's what he sounded like, Yeah, yeah, don't.
Speaker 6: Look at her form. You can't shoot like that. Why aren't even why she's on the team. And he said it a couple of times, and I go, I can't. I just have to. Like my friend was like, and I go, I'm just I have to. So I leaned in and I go Alyssa Thomas is actually on the Olympic team. She has more triple doubles than anybody in the WNBA. She's two short torn shoulder labrums and that's why she actually can't shoot like you know, her her arm above her head. She's a national treasure. And then I sit back and he was like, and then my blood was boiling. So I'm just like, shut up. You don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So that's probably and yet it means progress because it's just like it's just like men's sports where people feel like they know everything and they say it loudly and it's kind of fun sometimes to call them out. I used to do that in bars a lot, where guys didn't know what I did for a living, so they would try to hit on me by telling me things about what was happening on the TV, and I would just wait a while and then eventually be like, oh, it's interesting. Actually, he hasn't played all season, so the reason he's not in the game tonight is because he tours whatever and he hasn't played yet.
Speaker 2: This oh right, I meant, And I'm like, it's like it's also.
Speaker 3: Like it's like I always think that that happens around like for every sport, around playoffs, around championships. You know, we're like, yeah, it's like twenty twenty three, and someone's like Anthony Edward's pretty good, Like it's every everyone is like the new person at something, and I do think that, Like, I feel like it's so not unique to women's basketball.
Speaker 5: I've said this before, the idea of like this kind of.
Speaker 3: Instant expert I feel like in every single pocket of the Internet, somebody is getting mad because somebody knew or somebody young is not just like pretending that when they entered something they had all the information. But then there's also people doing that and also like monetizing that space.
Speaker 2: But it's happening in every pocket.
Speaker 3: So you see, like if you follow a lot of things, if you're like sort of an enthusiast of many subjects, and I am, I'm not an expert, but in an enthusiast, it's like every pocket of the media space is having the same fights, you know, but women's basketball is just such this pronounced easy to watch, right, We got our moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to feel like epidemiologist in two yes, where all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Everyone's a fucking vaccine expert.
Speaker 1: I've only spent my whole life doing this and when to medical Yes, but yeah, that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 5: It's like when the broadcaster as Johnson.
Speaker 6: And john I always think about get the Johnson.
Speaker 3: And John's always think about like if it reaches the view, if it reaches like Today's show, sort of like you know, like super the mainstream is mainstream gets. That's where you go like, well, that's never for experts, right. That's say, if you look at the video of like the the Today's Show, they're going like, there's this new.
Speaker 2: Thing, what's email?
Speaker 5: What's the symboly dude?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And you know there's people at home going like I could go on there and say what email is?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: So I think we're also reacting to a media eCos ecosystem where non experts are kind of primarily the ones making most of the noise.
Speaker 1: Or the most seen noise, right, And unfortunately a lot of them are just dudes who have a loud, loud voice, so we have to hear their takes, no matter how uninformed they could have.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've been in the room where they're like, we can't do that topic today because unfortunately the panelists don't know enough about it. I'm like, okay, but they have to learn mma and like that hockey goal is name, So why don't they have to learn this woman's name and something about her to talk about that?
Speaker 2: Isn't that part of their job? Anyway?
Speaker 6: Hope we can vote next week. We're hanging on by a thread.
Speaker 2: We we really are.
Speaker 1: We really are speaking of people saying dumb things. It's time for the Olympics, famously known for female athletes getting lots of coverage, a lot of it's shitty. Hey her coach did all the work, or there's her husband, let's focus on him.
Speaker 2: But let's talk about your plan for the.
Speaker 1: Olympics, because between the time change eight thousand events in theory, we have jobs. What's your plan, Aaron? Are you waking up? Are you watching in primetime? What's you know?
Speaker 6: I've never done cocaine, but I might start just at midnight so I can just pull all nighters because I traditionally say, like, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna watch all those random sports I never have a chance to get. But then I'm also gonna watch all those sports that I also watch so I have I'm just gonna Yeah, it's just gonna be mainlining everything I can possibly get my hands on. I mean, do I have a chart because I have a Virger sports problem? Yeah? I do.
Speaker 2: Is it highlighted by important and times? Of course?
Speaker 6: It is it daily coverage? Have I set my uh you know Paris Olympics app and then you can put your time zone in? Yes I did, Yes, I did so yes, uh yeah, I mean I have my favorites. But like that's the fun thing. Then you fall in love with Like I was doing this random research because I have this Olympics project, and you know there's this you know, you get these stories that just take over your life and then you just become obsessed with this person, like this woman's Sonny Choi. She was a director of Opposite like Sta Lauder and now she's break dancing. I'm like, what, like, I'm gonna yeah, you know what I mean, it's the stories that are always amazing. So yeah, I'm just gonna be up. I'm gonna be up for fourteen days.
Speaker 2: Morgan Cocaine, I don't. Cocaine is not for me.
Speaker 1: I get yeah, no, no, I already talk a lot and think I'm anome. So I also have never done cocaine. I'm pretty sure that's what it does for you, cocaine cocaine.
Speaker 3: I uh, it's it's it's I would just I would. I think I would just say my insecurity is faster. I think that's like what I feel like, that's what it would do. That's why I've never tried to.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'll watch. I mean, here's the thing. I'll watch anything.
Speaker 5: I'll watch any sport. I love sports that way.
Speaker 2: I will certainly that.
Speaker 3: This is where I become like if a friend has a specific thing they want to watch, then I'll be like, Okay, now I have a person to watch with.
Speaker 5: But I think it'll just be me scrolling through, going that's so great.
Speaker 2: Your boyfriend Mark Emaricon crying. I'll be crying.
Speaker 5: I'll be that's what you've been to all be.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I just I love it so much.
Speaker 3: There's also I should chount out Clorsa Shields, one of my favorite boxers is a two time gold medalist. Yeah, she's fighting Saturday, not in the Olympics, but people should know that too, and so I'll watch that, and uh, yeah, I'm gonna watch everything. And I'm the same with the stories, and I think like the Olympics is also like an interesting way of you know, I think women's basketball fans obviously we're like, hey, guys, this isn't new.
Speaker 5: But we're all kind of not all.
Speaker 3: Most viewers are those new fans for a lot of these sports. So it's kind of interesting also to see like, oh, yeah, that's what have people get so into it and they get excited, and most people are just they they're like that's oh, that's my favorite synchronized swimmer, you know, and who's your second favorite?
Speaker 2: I don't know. So yeah, I'm gonna watch everything.
Speaker 1: I have no kind of well, I think some of the athletes, Yeah, some of the athletes in sports are actually being prepped this year in a way unlike any other to hopefully try to carry the momentum over. We talk about this and we have forever about how do we take some of these women's sports that get so much love during the Olympics and then disappear for four years and come back again.
Speaker 2: How do we make them more mainstream?
Speaker 1: And I think I've heard from some of the governing bodies and some of the folks behind those teams that they're really trying to not just push them out now, but to understand how to better take advantage of the spotlight that they get leading into new professional leagues like Love Volleyball. Seventy five percent of the Olympic roster for the volleyball team are already signed to contracts for Love. So when that comes up and starts its first professional season, hopefully we know the players were into them already, we want to go watch. So I think we're seeing that in some of the sports, and I really hope with the way women's sports is trending now that happens this time. Morgan, you mentioned claressa Shield who iss a boxer and a fighter, which leads us to the very important first edition, to fight Me. This is how this works. We stayed in opinion, loudly and with certainty, and then we post it on social media and we ask four.
Speaker 2: People to fight us about it.
Speaker 1: This seems unnecessary because no matter what I post on social media, someone tries to fight me about it, even if it's just a picture of my dog. But this time we are actually asking for feedback, and we do want people to fight us.
Speaker 2: So here's today's topic. You're in a bar fight with a pack of juicing Russians. Is that redundant? I don't know. It's the Olympics.
Speaker 1: You get five female summer Olympic athletes in their prime, current or past to fight alongside you, to recap bar fight against juicing Russians. Five current or past in their prime female summer olympians to fight alongside you.
Speaker 2: Who you got? I think we'll just do your whole five at once. Here is my list. Good luck beating me. Number one Jackie Joiner Cursey.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're talking have tathletes and to kathletes who are the greatest athletes on earth.
Speaker 2: Myself included.
Speaker 1: Of course, you gotta run, you gotta jump, you gotta throw. They do it all and nobody did it better than Jackie. She is literally the Swiss Army Knife of bar fighters. So I'm sorry with Jackie Joinner Cursy. Number two, I'm glad you mentioned her. Claressa Shields two time Olympic gold medalist boxer.
Speaker 2: It'll be Mike Tyson punch out with those Rooskies. And she's an.
Speaker 1: MMA fighter as well, So no more explanation needed on that one claressa shields.
Speaker 2: Number two.
Speaker 1: Number three, Simone Biles. You need someone to crawl under the tables. You need someone to acrobatically avoid punches. High kicks to the face are a premium here.
Speaker 2: And just too quick. She's too small and too quick.
Speaker 1: They will not be able to get to her and low center of gravity punching up.
Speaker 2: She's small and bials. Number three.
Speaker 1: Number four Diana Tarassi a fucking killer. She literally told a ref in the middle of a game in the bubble, I'll see you in the lobby later. Okay, in the middle of a basketball game, a professional game, she got teed up for telling an official essentially I'm gonna fight you. Like, let's take this outside. Diana Tarassi probably has knives on her at any moment, just in case, So Dinah Trusty.
Speaker 2: Number four and finally number five, Billy Jean King.
Speaker 1: I need an organizer, okay, I need someone that's gonna remind us to take the higher ground attack from above, fill the flanks, use coordinated attacks to take people out at the knees, utilize broken glass legs, chairs, whatever's available. And BJK is gonna kind of like set the strategy for us. That's my five fight me.
Speaker 6: I'll jump in while Morgan's getting her team ready outside her door. Well, two of them are on the list. Number one with Clarissa's shields, I mean two times a medalist. I mean, come on, the first person that you want to fight with obviously these closer shields, and like you said, Morgan, she's going up like two weight classes like to fight. I can't. I can't even she's unreal second ron drowsy bronze medalist judo, and then of course UFCMMA. I just she makes me feel safe. Even when I see a picture of her, I go, everything's gonna be okay. I also had Simone Biles because they don't they won't, they won't see what's coming, you know, they'll be like, oh, they're overlooker, and then she'll slide between people's legs and then just do a lot of you know, can I say dick punches?
Speaker 8: Just did.
Speaker 6: Then I went with flow Joe because I'm just gonna jump on her back and she's gonna run us out of the situation. It's still one hundred meter dash record that has never been broken. So I just need speed and I need to piggyback on her back. Then the last one is the wild card, and that's Maria Sharapova.
Speaker 2: Because she speaks Russian.
Speaker 6: She's super hot. It'll be a lot of smoking mirrors, and then we can whack someone on the heavi of her tennis racket.
Speaker 1: How did I forget the most important part of any bar situation is you need a very hot distraction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you need a translator and a hot distraction. And it's not gonna be me. So I'm bringing my girl, Maria jier Bova.
Speaker 2: Very smart, very smart Morgan.
Speaker 5: I was gonna pick five tarasses.
Speaker 3: I wondered if I could do that, just because I also feel like I would watch that movie like I would watch like just an army of you know, when someone gets hit and then they like laugh or smile or something. I feel like, you know what I mean, where it's like it's like that thought you could get me and just kind of like and also like I feel like there'd be like noogies and like funny. I feel like she would be kind of fun and and cute with the you know, with the with the fighting in a cinematic way. Uh Holly Mang, I don't I'm not like an expert in the but the weightlifter, I mean that's really mangled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the more famous of the mangoled siblings. The other one played for I think the packers or something who cares. Holly is the one we care about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I I mean, I this is like a selfish thing, but I would just like pick people that I wanted to hang out with because I feel like we might you might lose anyway to die well, Diana, and I just feel like if you're gonna lose anyway, like if this is if we're if we're in this hypothetical situation, I get to be there also, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, well then I then I see it. Then it would be.
Speaker 3: Diana, and it would be I am more and uh you.
Speaker 5: Know, and and and like I think Sue Bird would be in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we.
Speaker 3: Got Diana, Sue Maya, Holly, yeah, and Meghan also because then they can hang out, you know what I mean, like they probably want.
Speaker 6: To be with you diact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I'm trying to win the fight, trying to have a good time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's how that's very clear.
Speaker 2: It's very clear based on the roster.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I guess this is the last time we're going to talk to you, Morgan, because you're gonna die, that's all right, surrounded by a pack of wonderful lesbians.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're going to go out in style, quite literally, because Sue and Meghan.
Speaker 5: Will not let you die.
Speaker 3: I might even say I kind of just like, I kind of feel like they would want.
Speaker 2: To be with each other. They probably it was nice of you. It was very soft. I'm like, I'm planning to party right now.
Speaker 3: You guys, you guys are you guys are strategizing to war.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, well I have to if I okay, if I have I you know.
Speaker 2: You're just listing off your Phoenix weekend again. Yeah, okay, we got.
Speaker 3: I was going to say Cloressa Shields, but I feel like that got like, you know a little bit.
Speaker 2: It felt like now I'm I'm I'm piling on.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And by the way, since this is what happens on the I want everyone to know that Billy Jean King coached in the Olympics and also was inducted into the US Olympic and Paralympic Hall of Fame as a special contributor, so you know, if there's any like uh, I don't actually know if BJK played in the Olympics. I don't think she did, but there was.
Speaker 6: No thwart like twenty five of lesbians being like Billy J.
Speaker 2: King didn't play on the ill. I'm just getting out ahead of the well. Actuallys because we're having fun here.
Speaker 1: Everybody just having fun, except for Morgan because she's dead, but she had fun.
Speaker 5: I think I had the most fun.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like I did indeed have fun with both of you. Thank you for coming on. This is the inaugural group chat. We will have to have you back sometime because I had a blast. It was so fun to hang. When we come back, we'll come out swinging. Get your gloves on.
Speaker 5: Can we stay and talk to each other after it ends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: So the group chat we'll say all the good stuff that isn't suitable for air right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so welcome back, but don't go anywhere just yet.
Speaker 1: We're not letting you go without a fight. And by that I mean the very first edition of Fight Me. I said what I said, so you know what.
Speaker 2: Fight me. That's right.
Speaker 1: You heard our list during group chat and now we need yours, the five female summer Olympic athletes in their prime, current or past that you want to fight alongside you against those cheating juice and Russians.
Speaker 2: And I stand by my list, so I say fight me.
Speaker 8: All right, hold on, wait a minute, Sarah.
Speaker 7: I know you weren't about to get to this without giving me an alex An opportunity to jump in here.
Speaker 8: I know you are.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, okay, yes, more challengers, Okay, fight me, ladies.
Speaker 8: All right, well, I'll go first.
Speaker 7: Then I think we've got some overlap here, so maybe we'll be evenly matched till we get about person three.
Speaker 8: But I gotta start with money. Moowan some mo biles. I agree with you.
Speaker 7: She's taking out the legs every single time. She's also a distraction. I don't know about you, but like short people, y'all have more power than you think you have. You could leg sweep one leg sweep, and it's a rap for all these tall, imposing juice and Russians.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's number one.
Speaker 7: Number two, of course, Diana Tarazzi's on my list because, as you mentioned, the whole running with the ref at the lobby. But also she just knows how to talk, and when you're compiling a team for something such as this, you need somebody.
Speaker 8: Who's gonna be all bark and potentially no bite.
Speaker 7: Not saying that she will be no bite, because DT don't we need the bite.
Speaker 2: We need the bite. We need the bite.
Speaker 7: My third person is actually gonna be Venus Williams, not Serena Williams, because she does edge out her sister in gold medals. And my thought process with this is not only is Venus tall and long. If the end of the day we can just throw some metals at folks heads.
Speaker 8: I feel like that's you know what I mean, bar fights?
Speaker 2: You got broken bitch with the metal? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: I feel like that works. So that's my third person. I also gotta go flow Joe here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: I'm picking flow Jo because of the nails.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 7: If we're fighting and you you get somebody with the nails in the eye or somewhere, that's deadly, I feel like people don't think about that a lot. So definitely Flow Joe. And then ip to haj Mohammad fencing.
Speaker 2: She gets to bring the weapon.
Speaker 8: She brings the weapon. Nobody else thought about weapons be for real.
Speaker 7: I know it's not an actual sword, but I feel like she can make.
Speaker 2: Some sh It's Dabby an Abbey.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that's my Thot's Ichier five.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, that is a good list.
Speaker 1: I mean, fight me, mine still wins, But that's pretty good, Alex, what you got well?
Speaker 4: I have to say I was not expecting everyone and their mama to have Clarissa Shields on their list. But Clarissa is a good choice, probably just because you need to have a boxer in a fight. So gonna throw her on my list because there's no rus.
Speaker 2: Alex thought she was the only Olympic expert around here.
Speaker 4: But here's where we get in the weeds, because we're going to Helen Marules the first American to win Olympic golden wrestling. And not only did she do that, I sprinted there to see it happen, saw it live in Rio in twenty sixteen. She also trained against Russians in order to win gold. WHOA, all right, then I've got Kayla Harrison first American to win judo gold and then she did it again twenty twelve and twenty sixteen and then entered the world of professional fighting. So never gonna count against her. Okay, here's where I'm changing the rules a little bit. Because I know he's at Olympian. I'm going to pick a Paralympian. Can I get a judge's judges.
Speaker 1: Judges ruling, because Billy Jean King is allowed due to her coaching and her her honors from the Olympic Committee, we will allow paralympians as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oksana Masters. If you don't know who she is, look her up. Has won of gazillion medals in so many different sports, from rowing to cross country skiing, to biathlon to finally cycling, and her persevere. You need somebody who can persevere. Finally, I have to say when it comes to sports, I'm against doping in a bar fight, though who's to say? And so that's why I'm adding Mary.
Speaker 6: And Jones to my list.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, First of all, Alex just being willing to put aside rules for one moment of her life in order to win the bar fight.
Speaker 8: Is that it's not for that.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go, there you go, perfect a right, guys, fight us, fight me, fight them, Send me yours via email, good game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy. We love that you're listening, and we love that you're getting in the game every day with our good game plays of the day. So keep those favorite Olympic follows coming. So far, we've gotten some really good ones. Mike Guasco says the gist. Carol Briggs and Heathery Coundrent are all about following Snoop's adventures and plenty of You suggested one of my faves rugby player, Alana Mayer, who is killing it on both Insta and TikTok, including absurd videos like testing the cardboard beds at the Olympics using wrestling, dancing, gymnastics, and simulated childbirth. Yes, give her a follow keep those coming. We've also been getting some more listener name suggestions. You guys have said snack pack splainers, because we're always splaining women's sports and we don't need no man splainers, ballers, bench mob breakers as in glass ceiling breakers, backers as in backing women's sports.
Speaker 2: The Marias.
Speaker 1: You'll have to listen to our All Star Weekend pod to get that one.
Speaker 2: Who's Maria Maria Who?
Speaker 1: And finally, the Good Humans thatund's cute too. Okay, keep them coming. I think we're gonna have to have a vote soon. We're gonna have to stop with the submissions and make a decision. Gosh darn it. Speaking of good humans. By the way, Andy Murray, who has announced he's going to retire after playing in his fifth and final Olympics representing Great Britain, is a good human. Let's a rate and review him, rating five out of five stars.
Speaker 2: Review amazing tennis.
Speaker 1: Player, incredible ally for women and advocate for equality. He calls out casual sexism and pressers. He calls out oppressive sexism and statements. He proudly calls himself a feminist, fights for equal pay. He even writes essays about gender equality. Oh sy, congrats on an incredible career. Andy, you can't wait to see what you do next.
Speaker 2: Now it's your turn. Rate and review our show.
Speaker 1: You know, send a few stars our way, subscribe, follow, tell us how awesome we are, Thank you and thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Good game, Aaron, Good Game, Morgan h Cheaters. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment.
Speaker 2: You can find us on the.
Speaker 1: iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzi and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan.
Speaker 2: And Emily Rudder.
Speaker 1: Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Breddy Martinez and Grace Lynch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain.