Speaker 1: On this episode of News World. On Friday, June thirteenth, Israel launched a surprise attack on dozens of targets inside Iran, including nuclear sites, and killed many of the Iranian military's top leaders. Israeli strikes have killed at least two hundred and twenty four people in Iran and injured hundreds more. On Monday, Iran struck back with a barrage of ballistic missiles, hitting several Israeli cities and killing at least twenty four people. But the question remains, will the United States joined the conflict? Here to discuss the Israeli Iranian conflict, I'm really pleased to welcome my guest, benham Ben Talablue, senior director of the Foundation for Defensive Democracies Iran program, which, whether it is something I pay constant attention to, the Foundation for Defensive Democracies is a remarkable institution. Ben, I'm welcome and thank you for joining me on news World.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to be back with you, sir. Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is an amazing time that we're chatting. Can you help us understand the scale and significance of Israel's campaign and why it is different from past campaigns.
Speaker 2: Well, first and foremost, this is the longest ever. We're in day five right now of the overt Israeli Ron shooting war, but this is the longest ever campaign on Iranian territory since the nineteen seventy nine revolution that follows the nineteen eighty to nineteen eighty eight Iran Iraq War that was actually the longest conventional war of the twentieth century. It's something that is often forgotten in history books. Since the nineteen seventy nine revolution, Iran has carried out a shadow war, a proxy war against Israel that really came to a head and the post October sevent mid least, when it crept out of the shadows twice, once in April and once in October with direct ballistic missile attacks from Iranian territory to Israeli territory, something we never saw even during the Cold War, meaning a non nuclear weapons state fire nuclear capable ballistic missiles at a nuclear weapons state and then lived to tell the tale. These attacks by Israel on June twelve, June thirteen were coordinated, they were synchronized. They took out the military brain trust of the Islamic Revolutionary guardcore the regime even in day five, if you asked me, is still phased, is still struggling to respond and Israel if we're looking at the military performance of this, and I'm happy to get the politics and the nuclear side as well, if we're looking at the military performance to this, they have taken the regime's greatest quantitative assets, it's ballistic missile arsenal, which is the largest in the entire Middle East, and quickly attriting it and cutting it such that the regime is facing a user lose problem as well as of course what to fire, because the Israelis have actually created a drone base on Iranian territory that is targeting Iranian ballistic missiles as soon as they pop up on their launchers before they can be fired. So it's turned the regime's quantitative advantage on its head, and the longer this conflict goes on, the million dollar question will increasingly become what role will Uncle Sam play? What role would the US play in all of this? And what role can the Iran people play in all of this?
Speaker 1: The Israeli campaign clearly had been planned for months and they'd thought it all through, and they have remarkable penetration of Iran. I've been watching a TV series you may have seen called Tehran, which is basically the Mozad operating literally inside Iranian territory with help from Iranians who are either opposed to the regime or for some other reason are willing to work with the Israelis. And apparently, if I understand it, one of the pieces of this campaign was that actually built the equivalent of a drone factory inside Tehran and launched drones from inside Tehran against various Iranians assets in a way which is almost like science fiction.
Speaker 2: Like science fiction but also part of the reality of I would really say the two decade chasm that we've seen between the state in Iran and the street in Iran, because let me tell you, sir I know you've mentioned this before, the people in Iran are no fans of the government in Iran. But also the people in Iran are quite patriotic, quite nationalist. I myself of the first generation American of the Iranian ancestry and born and raised here in the States. Sometimes it's quite obviously Iranians are among the most nationalistic of any peoples in the region. So one could say how would this happen in an exceptionally nationalist population where the conventional wisdom is that if there was an attack, they would always be a rally. And it is because of the chasm between the state and the street. It is because of the fact that the regime is Islamist and the people is nationalists, because the regime is old and the people are young, and these two things are like water and oil. And the Iranian people have been saying this loud and proud in their multiple iterations anti regime protest, even dating back in two thousand and nine, when they said, not Gaza, not Lebanon, my life only before Iran. And you've seen Iranian policy go exactly one hundred and eighty degrees in the opposite direction, sacrificing the Iranian national interest and the public good and the health and welfare of the average Iranian on the altar of exporting the nineteen seventy nine revolution to the Eastern Mediterranean. I have to tell you there was a story in Axios this weekend that reminded me of something a actual former Iranian intelligence minister had said. It was an intelligence minister from the mid twenty tens who was saying this in twenty twenty one, and he was saying that the level of Mosad penetration in Iran is astronomical, And he was saying this in twenty twenty one, so imagine what it must be in twenty twenty five. And he essentially intonated that at that time, no regime official should sleep safely at night because of this level of penetration. And he actually blamed it, he himself a cleric, he himself an eye, he himself an intel minister. He blamed it on the regime's ideology and its warring factions, and it's creating of a state within the state, and just looking from the outside, the regime has been policing cyberspace, the regime has been policing hijabs. But the gross incompetence of the regime, coupled with the population's willingness to contest this regime at any cost, is exactly how, in my view, you get the Israelis to be able to build its own base right under the nose of the Ietolas.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about this because there's an argument apparently underway that the establishment, including the intelligence community, had given the Iranians pretty high level of capability, But there were analysts who deeply disagreed and said, look, this kind of a regime can't be very competent because it's not going to be able to reward merit, and it's not going to be able to promote people purely based on merit because it'll be so busy first of all, being corrupted financially and second worried about abs loyal to the Ayatola. And it does seem that in many ways, starting with a remarkable Israeli campaign in the spring where they gain total air dominance to an embarrassing degree for the Russians, prove that American technology was simply generations ahead of the Russian air defense systems. But if you come all the way through this, it does seem like there's a certain lacking level of just plane everyday competence in the Iranian system right now.
Speaker 2: Certainly, And if you're starting at a baseline negative number, once that negative number meets an exogenous shock like four point thirty in the morning, your entire military commanding heights, your entire strategic brain trust being killed in a missile attack, then you're going to be performing even worse. So it's going to take quite a bit of time to get out a hole. And that's what I mean when I say I think even in day five of this conflict, the regime itself is quite shattered. And you mentioned this ideological versus technical versus competency Paradigmond problem, and these things are found these warring with one another in various elements of the Iranian system, in the political establishment, in the military establishment, in the security services, even within the clergy. You see this tug of war between politics and competence, and this is a regime that actually rewards loyalty rather than that competence. There is a phrase in Persian. I'll say it came from the Cultural Revolution in the nineteen eighties when the Homaanists were purifying the universities and everything else. The phrase was takva not tavona, meaning righteousness not competence. They would reward righteousness, they would reward loyalty, and like any other authoritarian regime that is remotely afraid of anything military, they engage in coup proofing, just as next door neighbor former Saddam used to do. And this is a very toxic combination. If you are unpopular and you're also trying to literally fight technologically superior adversaries like the Israelis or even the Americans. So this was all a witches brew in my view.
Speaker 1: From that perspective, I've written several things arguing that the real goal has to be a regime change, not just taking out the nuclear system, because if they take out the nuclear system, but the regime says in charge, eventually they'll rebuild it. So if you're really serious about getting to a peaceful, long thirty forty to fifty year coexistence, you really have to find a way to break the entire system of the Mollah dictatorship. What would your take on that be.
Speaker 2: I think we have to have at this point in time the courage of our convictions to say that two words that are perhaps the fifth rail of politics in Washington, DC, which is regime change. As we speak, there's a huge Republican I don't want to say civil war, but a huge Republican internal struggle over the soul of the party, over what kind of Republican state craft we're going to see in the twenty first century. I think Donald Trump has done a good job balancing these two competing visions and value sets of isolationism versus internationalism. They're both organic in the American policy and body politique. But as it relates to Iran, there aren't many places in the Middleast, with the exception of Israel, where you can marry your head and your heart. And given that, politically, voters in this country have been voting to do less in the Middle East and not more. Since the Bush Too administration, every president has come in Obama, Trump bied in Trump again trying to actually deliver on that promises and getting stuck back in. I think the only real way you create the political space to do that and deal with great power competition is if you flip the script on the iatolas. Because there's no straight line in the world where you appease the ietolas and counter the CCP. You have to deal with the most urgent state threat there.
Speaker 1: Trump has been shifting. He's always said pretty clearly there cannot be an Iranian nuclear weapon. They did a lot of dances and met and all that stuff for sixty days, but the bottom line was always if we have a deal, it's going to mean no nuclear weapons. And now I noticed in the last few days he's moving towards basically saying to the Iranians, you know, it'd be very smart of you to surrender before you're annihilated, which is a pretty bleak direct statement. And my sense is that this growing awareness that the nuclear program was much bigger than we expected, the effort to build next generation ballistic missiles that would have been extraordinarily dangerous to Israel are much bigger, and I think for a lot of US, and I think for almost all israelis the pictures of Iranian missiles hitting Tehran and the simple thought what if one of them had had a nuclear warhead pretty much has hardened the line of both Israel and the Trump administration. At least that's my sense. That we're now into struggle that's probably not going to end with the Iatola still being in charge.
Speaker 2: I think we could go based on the very fast moving facts of the Crown, we could be going in that direction. I still think the President means what he says when he intonated ever since, even before entering office, when he was campaigning in twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, that he quote buys bad deals and makes them into good deals, and that he tried to fix the Iran deal first, and that he spent some time trying to negotiate it now again in term two. I do think in that world the president may see is really military action and is really military prowess as actually a source of leverage. To tell comedy. Listen, I'm the only thing that is standing between you and certain death coming from these Raelies. So dismantle or die. Dismantle or watch your program be dismantled for you, or potentially even wash your regime be dismantled for you. I mean, this has great implications for the future of US foreign policy in the region, for sure, as well as for the future of the US Israel relationship based on how such a thing would be done. But I certainly see the President trying to maximize all of his options here, both on the diplomatic front, to drive an exceptionally hard bargain, to make the IE tool, to know that there is no way out but through. To basically get the second Supreme Leader of Iran to do what the first Supreme Leader of Iran did, which is to realize what he's losing, as Komeni did in the end of the Iran Iraq War, to drink the proverbial poison chalice, but Also, I think the president actually has to have what the forgive me the nine to eleven Commission report warned about, which is imagination, and we have to see this as an imagination issue. We have to dare to imagine a fundamentally different Iran that doesn't perpetually sucker the US in with a missile issue, woul drone issue, with terrorism issue, a nuclear issue, that we get to drive the conversation, and that fundamentally we will always be reacting to something so long as this regime is there and in power.
Speaker 1: I mean assumes to me. Well, Trump has not talked about regime change. The standard he's setting for an agreement is almost impossible for this regime to achieve. It's pretty clear that Trump is going to insist that they dismantle all of It seems to mean that for the regime, for the dictatorship, it may literally not be able to handle the stress of that agreement.
Speaker 2: That certainly is one view and is one reason why many believe that Hamine has rejected obviously the dismantlement's lingo, and it is also why he's held firm on something like uranium and richmond, which, by the way, Iran has not stopped doing for a single day since August two thousand and six. I mean, that's the thing that really got us into this crisis. Believe it or not, there was a time when Europe and Russia and China and America were passing multiple UN Security Council resolutions, all united in the belief that there should be no enrichment in the Islamic Republic of Iran, particularly so long as they were violating their safeguards agreements. But here we are nearly two decades later and facing literally the exact same problem. I think that is one theory, and another is that I think you can get the Iatolas who fundamentally love life more than you and me. You know, there's this picture even among some of our friends, more republican or more hawkish foreign policy circles, that see things through the prism of ideology. And absolutely you have to understand the revolutionary and Islamist and authoritarian ideology of Iran's clerics. It's Islamism and Marxism and third Worldism and all of those dangerousisms. But we shouldn't be ideological about ideology. And what I mean by that is, if you speak to people who've come from Iran. More recently, you will see that a cleric, a theocrat is actually one of the most corrupt, opportunistic peoplelog and ends as well as a means to an end for those types of people. And I think in that kind of world, if they are really put to the choice, if Trump really grabs their jugular, maximum pressure, could work, could deliver. You have to put the adversary in the position to have to make a mistake, to drive them to choose between again their economy or the bomb, or a dismantling or dying, to make it a lose lose no matter what. And the art of the deal is constantly making your adversary settle for the least bad option with as little cost to you as possible. So I think there was potential there for that. But nonetheless, we are where we are now, and I think Trump's leverage has significantly increased, but less we forget, ideology is still powerful. There is a world in which the regime does not want to take the Nathan Donald Trump, even though technically they already have because for seven years they said no negotiations with Trump, and then spring twenty twenty five, Okay, we'll negotiate with Trump so long as it's indirect.
Speaker 1: And now, of course they're saying, you know, we'll be glad to igo share with Trump if it was just get as well as to stay up. Suddenly he's becoming more desirable by comparison. One of the things I was struck with, and I know you must have seen the same thing, was the video of the Israelis hitting the Iranian state broadcasting system. You may know since you speak Farsi what she was saying at that moment, but had a little bit of a throwback to Bagdad Bob, you know, we can hang tough. This is not that bad. And suddenly the studio gets bombed. Did you think that had any significance? And do you think that it sent any signal to the Iranian people about what was going on?
Speaker 2: It absolutely had immense significance, both technical and political, because this is a TV station that is the state broadcasting arm of the government of the Islamic Republic that brings the regimes, views, values, and interest onto the TV screens and multimedia of Iranian citizen v This is a TV station I think was sanctioned under the Obama administration, if I'm not mistaken, So way back in the day. It coordinates with the Ministry of Intelligence and Islamic Revolutionary Guard corp. It airs tortured and false confessions of everybody, from Iranian reformists to regular citizens to even dual nationals. It's parated. It really is spewing the invected and is synonymous with that kind of corrupt revolutionary resistance ideology. And you are right, if memory serves me correct. She was going on the presenter, I think, was going on a ti rate about resistance in America and then had to obviously flee the scene because of the strike. But there's also an equally chilling, powerful video from a little bit later on of that strike that was also making its way around on Persian social media. And it was from a distance seeing that building. It's the Irib Islamic Republic of Iran broadcasting. It was that building in Tehran viewed from a distance, potentially from a camera or drone, who knows, with the call to prayer in the background, and the entire edifice of this one building, nothing else but just this one building burning and with black smoke rising. And that is the kind of stuff that in the medium term, not right now, because bombs are still falling, and Iranian citizens, regardless of their political orientation, are all in survival mode, particularly the nearly ten million that live in the capital Tehran. But nonetheless, this is the stuff that can stiffen the spine of anti regime Iranians. And you know, if I had one second to advertise to the Israelis, you know I'm not here in the strike world. I still think there was room for a lot more maximum pressure. But the Israelis need to be translating these targets, emotionally, translating these targets for the Iranian audience. Why is it important that the Israelis have struck Irib? Why is it important that these rallies have struck the commander of the Aerospace Force. It's not just because this guy had his finger on the trigger of the missiles going to Israel. It's because that guy in January twenty twenty fired on a civilian airlinerer killing over one hundred and seventy innocent people. Israel is also dismantling the apparatus of repression, and that's why this strike on Irib the television is very politically and technically significant in my view.
Speaker 1: To take a point view reference. In twenty twenty two, the US to part of the treasure this is under Biden released the press really saying they're designating the IRIB in its subsidiaries not as objective media outlets, but rather as a critical tool in the Iranian government's mass suppression and censorship campaign against its own people. They went on to say IRIB has produced and recently broadcast televised interviews of individuals being forced to confess that their relatives were not killed by Iranian authorities during nationwide protests, but died due to accidental, unrelated causes. And I assume that related back to about two years ago when they killed five hundred people for being part of an effect demonstrations exactly.
Speaker 2: It was the post twenty twenty two to twenty three women life freedom movement that was triggered by the killing of an innocent girl in Tehron who was twenty two years old, was Massa Gina Amini for not properly wearing her her job. She was beaten by security forces and then sustained major mortal wounds that led to her death just a few days later in a hospital in Tehran. Actually separated from her family and protests began that fall twenty twenty two and mushroomed into the biggest ever anti regime protests we saw since the nineteen seventy nine revolution.
Speaker 1: This is a regime where a young lady who didn't totally cover her hair, if I'm mon correctly, she had it, but it wasn't totally covered somehow infuriated the guards and they beat her to death, and then that led to a huge public outrage, which they then suppressed, I think with about five thousand arrests and five hundred killings.
Speaker 2: And they followed that. There was a less advertised story, but we actually had FTD. We created a tracker of it because living and working in Washington, there's plenty of NGOs talk about women's rights and human's rights. We noticed there was a whole string of attacks on young schoolgirls, almost something out of the playbook of the Taliban, but by the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran. And they were basically chemical attacks, causing tons of basically young teenage and preteen girls who are going to school to get sick. And this, in our view, was a direct campaign, a state campaign against the next generation of Iran's best and brightest female youth, and this I think was some crazy deterrent basically WMD use by the state against society to instill fear. So yes, they married that campaign of killing and arrest and detention with this CW campaign as well, which is really horrifying.
Speaker 1: This is one of those rare regimes. They're not quite as bad as the Syrians we used to be, but they're very close. This is one of the worst regimes in the world in terms of how it oppresses its own people well at the same time threatening off of its neighbors. Now I've noticed this with Hamas and Hezbollah and now with the Iranians, that the Israelis really focused on taking out the leadership and seem to have an amazing level of intelligence about where they're going to be. They wiped out, I think virtually all the Hesbalal leadership in one meeting. They wiped out virtually all of the Iranian Air Force leadership and one meeting. I mean, how do they do all that?
Speaker 2: They did all that, I think through a combination of I'm no espionage scholar, but through a combination based on what's been reported, through a combination of human intel and assumedly signals, intel, so tech and human sources, probably being able to follow some folks around, being able to tap into the electronic systems. And again, these are the folks that are at the commanding heights of the Islamic republics, political and military establishments. As we mentioned earlier, these are folks who are not necessarily promoted for their capability. They're promoted and rewarded for their loyalty. There's a couple exceptions here too, very lethal, very nasty individuals, but also very very capable and competent, and I always do fear a very competent adversary. I think the Commander of the Aerospace Force Hodgizada and the Armed Forces General Staff Bobbery. These were people known to Iran watchers to be a little bit unlike their colleagues, were actually technically and politically savvy, not that much evidence of financial or political corruption, but real true believers and a capable, ideological but lethal adversary. Nonetheless, they still were obviously able to be surveilled, and the Israelies went after them to induce this surprise effect, to induce this shock that when you saw the reporting about all of these IRGC folks in one place or all of these nuclear scientists too, which is a separate story targeted in Tehron at the same time. I think it was four thirty in the morning, if I'm not mistaken. It was very reminiscent of what we all watched on the news back in September twenty twenty four with the Pajer gate and the Deeper gate in Lebanon, and that just goes to show you how effective the intelligence arem of Israelis and how critical intelligence is to even a conventional war fighting campaign.
Speaker 1: So the Israelis hit them and I think pretty powerful initial round, but the Iranians do fire back. The Israelis. I'm actually a little surprised because they've been faring its civilians when I would have thought they'd have been much better off to try to hit the airfields. I mean, if they could slow down the tempo of the Israeli Air Force, and the best way to do that is to kill the planes on the ground. But they're going for Tel Aviv for Haifa. What do you think is their rationale for basically doing area bombardment that has almost no strategic effect but just causes pain.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that is the intention to cause pain. But also on day one, I think on Friday, the regime's first ballistic missile wave that followed the first rone wave essentially did try to go after some air bases. But even in the Persian press, which hyperbolizes a lot of stuff, they ended up saying that the following waves were essentially all targeting population centers, and they mentioned Haipha, they mentioned Tel Aviv, and they mentioned a couple of other suburbs, particularly round ut Gun for example, But they mentioned that this was basically targeting cities. Occasionally, IRGC leadership and what is left of the military leadership or who became the new military leadership would say, oh, please leave these cities. But ultimately the regime was trying to break the will of these Raelis to fight, and also to break the will of these rallies to actually stay in Israel. I mean, these are folks who don't believe in Zionism. They don't actually believe that Israelis are Israeli. They believe you need to scratch them. They're probably European or South American or Arab or something else. So they're also trying to induce strategically in the long term, the same kind of shock waves that they hoped that their proxy would have set off back on October seven, which is to land a blow on Israeli society and foster reverse immigration away from it. I mean that is a bit longer term, but they were trying to draw blood and specializing in Iran's long range strike capabilities. I got to tell you, the regime does believe like you talked about mass, the regime does believe that quantity has a quality of its own. But these are qualitatively more impactful systems than we've seen in the past. Yes, less have made it through, but that is just because of how well layered Israel's air and missile defenses. But there are apartments, city blocks, tons of civilian centers. This is a massive counter value campaign that the Islamic Republic of Iran has engaged, and it really should be further exposed and shed light on one day. But the regime was trying to get even and draw blood and also to try to erode the will of these Raelies to continue their military campaign. Because the Israeli military campaign is focused on basically defanging Iran's long range threat, going after the missiles, the drones, but also the launchers and the support infrastructure.
Speaker 1: When you look at all the the as well as are gaining, but they have not delivered a knockout punch. The Iranians are less and less capable, but they're still hanging in. How vital do you think it is for the US to use its very very large bombs against the Fodo Nuclear Site facility? Or do you think it's possible that by just continuing to erode the regime, at some point the aswel As could force the Iranians to actually dismantle it themselves.
Speaker 2: I don't think alone the Israelies will force them to dismantle it themselves, but I do think alone these rallies will be dismantling large chunks of it themselves. It depends on what the priorities are for these relies in their targeting campaign. To keep going after bases, to go after future supply lines, to go after the existing arsenal, to go after elements of the shorter range arsenal. There's a whole host of military variables for these rallies. And just because these Raelies don't have the B two bomber or the thirty thousand pound massive ordinance penetrator, bunkerbuster bombs doesn't in my view, mean that they can't do other damage. Perhaps they could bring in special forces, some kind of above ground below ground team, or they could train to hit the same spot. Given that they've taken out the air defenses and they have more freedom of maneuver and operation in Iran, they could train to drop their own more limited bunker busters, like the two thousand pound bombs in the same spot and try to have them burrow deeper and deeper. You can also disable some of these facilities by going after their support infrastructure, airways, shafts, vans and even electricity. You can cripple it that way as well. But there's no doubt if you're talking about a knockout punch that is much more likely going to have to come in my view from Uncle Sam, if you're going to quite literally try to collapse the architecture of this four door facility, which is about three hundred feet underground.
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago there was an amazing Israeli Special Forces rate in Syria where they took out a Raneum nuclear facility that they were building in Syria. I mean, they went in very precisely, did the job and got back out with no casualties. Do you think that fordoh is too far inside Iran and just physically too big to have that kind of a commando approach.
Speaker 2: With the surprises these relies have had up their sleeves in the past few years, you can really never say never. But if these rallies have this aerial overmatch or superiority we should say, against the Iranians, and they can translate that into a few more pockets in the land, there's a heck of a lot more they can do that could allow them to basically bring in through an uncontested air corps door across them add least special forces to do this. Oh And by the way, a dividend of this is if these rallies are trying to much more narrowly tailor their campaign, there would be no civilian casualties in this sort of scenario, would be more of a one and done situation. So if you create the military space, this could become a political option. Conversely, you mentioned how else America might get involved. I still do there's a chance that America might try to leverage Israel's increasing military successes into trying to get Combina to accept this dismantle or die paradigm. And the reason I'm mentioning that while you're asking me about four Dough is because right now we don't know what's going on at four Dough. I mean, I've been in a lot of wargames. They've usually had me to roleplay the Iranian side. Whenever my side is hit, I try to squirrel away as much uranium as possible. So we don't know enough about diversion god forbid, potentially happening there. And we don't know if the machines that were already spinning and thus far are still stable and assumed to be spinning in four Dough, which has been hit by these Raelies but not penetrated. We don't know if the machines that used to be producing sixty percent, which is a hop, skip and a jump to weapons grade, just made that final hop, skip and a jump and went to ninety percent. And that's a huge intelligence question. And no matter the military successes these Raelis have against the rest of Iran's missile and military infrastructure, if they get the counter proliferation element of this larger campaign wrong, there will be more issues, shall we say politely, to have to deal with do.
Speaker 1: You have any sense of whether the regular military has been particularly degraded. And what I'm thinking of is, if you have absolute air superiority, you can bring in with see you one thirties a pretty large number of troops who could in fact occupy and take over fourdo and methodically destroy it. And the question will be how rapidly and how coherently the Iranian military would be capable of responding, even in their own country, given the fact that they're now operating under complete Israeli air supriority.
Speaker 2: Well, given that we'd be talking about the conventional military, which is larger than the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps but really under serviced and underfunded, there's certainly the chance that they would have to engage them, because they would probably have to defend either the airfield or the base or whatever facility these reelis which try to come at or drive at, or fly or land at, So there probably would, in my view, be a firefight. How significant it would be is really more of a crystal ball question at this point in time. But I think if the military successes these really have elsewhere are high and the messaging is good, this could be really more of a lay down your arms. We have no qualms with the people who are trying to protect their country. But if you fight, you're not trying to protect your country, You're trying to protect the Iatola's nuclear enterprise. And there is public diplomacy, public messaging space both for Israel and America to exploit there. Because one way we can prevent this from being a civil war is if you do get some of the security services to flip right.
Speaker 1: Min you could end up in Assyrian civil war kind of problem where you have two or three or more factions fighting for control. Let me ask one last thing about all this are ware to point where we really have an opportunity to profoundly reshape the region by eliminating the primary sponsor of terrorism or is that an overreach? With where we.
Speaker 2: Are, I think we're getting closer towards the first opportunity to get rid of that state sponsor of terrorism. But that requires again, so many politicians to have the courage of their convictions. There's so many easy punts. Unfortunately, I see across the Atlantic in the West trying to say no, regime change is only local. We can't have anything foreign imposed. No one is asking for anything foreign imposed, and I'm not here to beg for charity or whatever on Americans. It is in first and foremost and only, by the way, but foreign policy is not missionary work. That's the Henry Kissinger couoth that I really loved. By the way, but if you have the opportunity to deal your adversary a blow and then also do good by your own ideology, and then to bring into power someone who also shares your ideology, and then you have the luxury of living up to your style of government, which is all about representative government, and you realize there's a people over there who for one hundred years have been trying to have representative government. This isn't imposed, this is foreign supported, and that is why Iran is not Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan. That's my view of it. But I understand absolutely there's a million and one things that can go wrong. There's a million one issues opposition wise, there's a million one issues in terms of resource scarcity and political capital and attention. I understand all of those things, but I also understand that we do have to finally find a way to flip the script on the iatolas, because it would be in my view strategic, political, and moral malpractice to decapitate the world's foremost state sponsor of terrorism and leave an eighty six eighty eight million person nation smoldering as a failed state, and that would risk losing one of the things that Iran is that really nowhere else in the region is which is both pro American and pro Israeli, and that's an asset that the US and particularly is Real cannot afford to lose.
Speaker 1: My guess is, if we had a stable government willing to work with the rest of the world, that the number, for example, of stunningly successful Iranian Americans who would have an interest in helping rebuild the country they came from would represent a source of both entrepreneurial knowledge and sheer capital That would be breathtaking because the diast was pretty big and pretty prosperous, and if they had a place where they were safe and they were welcomed, we could have a pretty prosperous Iran within ten years. Amen, listen, ben, I want to thank you for joining me. We are going through wild times. Do we have to call on you again in the not too distant future just because of all the changes our listeners can learn more about your work that Foundation for Defensive Democracies by visiting your website at FDD dot org. And I really want to thank you for taking the time in the middle of all of these activities.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, sir. It's a pleasure and looking forward to continuing the conversation with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you to my guests, Benham, Ben Talablue. You can learn more about the Foundation for Defensive Democracies on our show page at newtsworld dot com. Newsworld is produced by Genglish three sixty and iHeartMedia. Our executive producer is Guarnsey Sloan. Our researcher is Rachel Peterson. The artwork for the show was created by Steve Penley. Special thanks to the team at Ginglishtree sixty. If you've been enjoying Nutsworld, I hope you'll go to Apple Podcasts and both rate us with five stars and give us a review so others can learn what it's all about. Right now, listeners of Newtsworld can sign up for my three freeweekly columns at Gengishtree sixty dot com slash newsletter. I'm Nut Gingrich. This is Newtsworld